Speaker 1: This a Spring training Dodger Talk. Here we go again.
Speaker 2: We're going to be running back, hosted by Dodger saint sider David.
Speaker 1: Bassi, a Yeah three beat in the Mexican called.
Speaker 2: Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seven, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts. Here's your host, David Bassia.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Dodger Talk. David Vasse with you from Camelback Ranch in Glendale, Arizona. We're with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. It's one of two Dodger Talks this week. Our next show is going to be seven o'clock on Thursday night, and the Dodgers will be playing a game under the lights right here at camel Back Ranch that night, so we'll have Dodger Talk as the game is going on at seven o'clock this Thursday night. But tonight tonight, we have a great show for you. We have two big time guests that have a lot to say about the Dodgers coming up in fifteen minutes, Our very own Rick Monday is going to join us. Rick and Tim Neverett have been calling and we'll call every single spring training game on sports net LA and also on the simulcast here on a five to seventy LA Sports. So Rick Monday will stop by. We'll get his thoughts on what he has seen from the Dodgers so far this spring training. And also, in case you weren't aware of this, it is fifty years ago this season that Rick Monday made a great play saving the American flag. Yeah, that's right, fifty years ago. Baseball's Hall of Fame is going to be celebrating it all year long. Major League Baseball is going to be celebrating it, and so will the Dodgers. So Rick Monday is coming up in fifteen minutes, and at the bottom of the hour, I have lined up a big time Dodger fan, a man that was at Dodgers Stadium for Game four the World Series last year. He was at at Dodger Stadium with his family back in May last year. That is the one and only former Raiders quarterback Derek Carr. Derek Carr is going to join us at the bottom of the hour and he has an incredible story to tell about a piece of history from Game six of the World Series in Toronto. So looking forward to having Derek Carr on the show. He has a new podcast out with his brother David. It comes out every Thursday. It's called home Grown. And the piece of history that he is going to tell us about is actually seen in every single episode of Homegrown. So there's a little tease to what Derek Carr's got up his sleeve. And I first met Derek Carr back in twenty nineteen when the Dodgers were up in San Francisco. The equipment managers for the Dodgers, Alex Torris and Jerry Turner, lined up for me to go out to Raiders camp as they were getting ready for their off season training program as the Dodgers were coincidentally up there in the Bay Area, and I got to meet Derek for the first time, met at the time coach John Gruden. So that was a great experience, and that was the first time that I found out that Bakersfield's own Derek Carr is a huge Dodger fan. And from that point on we've kept in some sort of contact. But first time Derek Carr is going to be on Dodger Talk tonight, So Rick Monday is coming up at seven point fifteen. Derek carr is coming up at seven thirty tonight, so a loaded show. We may or may not have a chance to get to your phone calls. We may have to push that off until Thursday. I'm sure you're very eager to give me updates about the World Baseball Classic, but I'm locked in on Dodger Baseball tonight until eight o'clock. And the Dodgers had two important games going on earlier today as far as the way their season is going to lay out this season. You had Tyler Glass now pitching on the Cactus League field against the Diamondbacks today, and you had Rogi Sasaki pitching on the White Sox side in a sort of B game. So both are important for different reasons. Glass now, to me, has looked the best mentally and physically that I have seen him with the Dodgers, and that includes the spring training going into his really best year in Major League baseball, a career high twenty two starts. He made the All Star team two years ago. But his head space, like I told Petro some money earlier today, just seems to be in a better spot than we have seen it since he became a Dodger, and a lot of that has to do with his success and uncomfortable last year and being successful coming out of the bullpen in Game six of the World Series. And today, glass Now's really good spring continued as the Dodgers beat the Diamondbacks. Glass Now pitched four to third innings, allowing just one earned run. It was actually a leadoff home run to start the game, but after that he really settled in and was mowing down the Diamondbacks. So it was a good day for glass Now, a good day for the Dodgers as they beat Arizona four to one. This morning, I saw Mooki Betts take out the plastic arrows that he is borrowing from Yoshi Yamamoto. Yeah, in case you missed that, Mookie Betts is using the darts that Yama Moto uses between starts to try to build his core and his throwing strength without having a throw a baseball. And then in the game he had two hits. So Mookie Betts is having a good spring training as well. Le Tucker stayed in the game after being hit by a pitch on his right leg It looked like his shin caf area, but after the game him and Max Munthsey both reassured me that he was fined since he stayed in the game and scored after being hit by the pitch from first base. So Kyle Tucker AOK with all that. Now, Roki Sasaki, like I mentioned, he was having a very important game on the backfield, and Andrew Friedman and the rest of the Dodger brass was out there watching that as Dave Roberts was managing the Cactus League game. And Dave Roberts said after that Sasaki was thrown about ninety eight to one hundred.
Speaker 1: He got very.
Speaker 3: Good positive He got positive reports from Sasaki's game because Sasaki pitched four scoreless innings against the White Sox and allowed just one hit. But here's the thing, Blake Snell is not going to start the season on time. Gavin Stone has been and shut down to a certain extent because of the shoulder surgery and him pitching in one game this spring and all of a sudden the shoulder barking. So the Dodgers need Roki Sasaki. And I even asked Dave Roberts earlier today, with the number of days off the Dodgers have to begin the season, do they have the luxury of allowing Susak to work out whatever hasn't clicked so far this.
Speaker 4: Spring, having Blake you know, late to the season, which we know Gavin Stone late to the season, as we know, we're gonna need Roki, you know, with the build up, you know, I just don't see a world where he doesn't break with us as a starter, and so we're gonna need those innings. I guess I'm betting on the performance to be you know, to continue to trend up, to be good enough, and to only get better with the talent that he has and the work that he's put in. So you know, I think right now he's got a I think cup more outings, two, three, more outings and then you know, we'll see where we go from there. But still my expectation is that that's where we're going to be when we start the season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So Dave Roberts really made it clear that they need Sasaki. This is not a luxury to have him in the starting rotation. There is actually a need with the fact that River Ryan is not going to start the year with the Dodgers, He's in my opinion, going to play the Ema shean role of being a second half pitcher or maybe two months in after basically not pitching last year and coming back from Tommy John surgery. He's looked phenomenal in spring training so far, but still the Dodgers want him to get some starts under his belt in the minor league season before they call him up. So when you look at the Dodgers starting rotation as the season begins and opening day is just two weeks away on March twenty six, you're looking at Yamamoto, You're looking at Otani, You're looking at Glass. Now, Emmittsian made his first return back after being set back a couple of days with the flu like symptoms. And then Roki Sasaki, we're not even talking about Justin Robleski at this point in time. I'm not sure where the Dodgers see Robleski fitting in on the opening day roster. I know they're strying to stretch him out in have ever since Gavin Stone got hurt with the shoulder injury or setback with the shoulder surgery. So Dave Roberts, as you heard right there, he made it very clear the Dodgers are counting on Sasaki and they need him to be good. They can't just throw him out there and, similar to the beginning of last season, have him only go three or four innings and put their bullpen in a bad spot not only for that game but for the subsequent games following. So it's vital for Sasaki when he does make the star to go out there and be good, not just go out there just to say he's a starter. They need Roki Sasaki to give them solid, quality starts as they go into the season. Now, this was on the backfields today. I want to see it on the main Cactus League fields to be convinced that yeah, okay, he's turned the corner this spring and is ready to go. So that's the latest on the Dodgers starting rotation and Dave Roberts making it very clear the importance of Roki Sasaki as the Dodgers go into the season without Blake Snell and Gavin Stone. All right, coming up next on Dodger Talk Rick Monday, We'll stop by and at the bottom of the hour, Derek Carr, the former Raiders quarterback now retired or is he? We'll get into all that with Derek Carr and most importantly his love for the Dodgers as we continue until eight o'clock. Right here on five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: Did you get big league this morning?
Speaker 3: Hey leok who crashed the booth?
Speaker 1: Right here?
Speaker 3: Rick Monday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's good to see you. Great to see you too. Can you enjoy your days off? By the way, because you left us alone here in the valley of the sun.
Speaker 3: Well, I'd rather be here with you, because, as you say, we check reality at the gate, and there was a lot of reality last week.
Speaker 1: You come back into town. All of a sudden. It rained a little bit last night. We're talking very little. It rained just enough to rearrange the dirt that was on the car, and that was about it.
Speaker 3: I was in the Dodger Clubhouse this morning and I'm trying to go under the radar, Rick, but that's really tough, and everybody noticed I was back.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this, because we're only sixteen days away from opening day. Your impressions thus far, I've been saying, is it quite? Frankly, if you look at it, I think the fundamentals check that box off. It's still a work in progress. You're always working on fundamentals in spring training. But I think from a fundamental standpoint, this has been a very good spring up. Until this particular point. I'm talking about the cutoffs and relays. I'm talking about knowing what to do with the baseball before it's to you. We've seen two different rundowns have been executed perfectly. The ball club. Kind of the tradition of what we've seen offensively has been with the ball club that is selective and patient at home plate. They have not been expanding the strike zone, which is a good thing. Especially early, things will become more and more difficult, I think for hitters, as the pitchers and the quality of the pitchers they're going to see get stretched out even more. I think that's going to become more difficult as we get closer to actual game days in the regular season. But to this point, including the pitching, I think has been spot on for this ball club to come into the season and get ready to not just defend the World Championship, but to capture another one. Rick.
Speaker 3: I think to the way you described your teams and it resembles this one where they have fun, but everybody to a man came into camp ready for opening day back in February, and.
Speaker 1: How much of that goes back to last year? Because I said last year, if you thought it was difficult to win a World championship, it's even more difficult to come back in and defend it and reach out. Obviously, you have to get to the postseason begin with. Then you have to play. You have to play good enough baseball to advance to the biggest stage, that being the World Series. That's not an easy road to really travel down at all. It's not easy. And I agree with what Mookie bed said last year. It irritated some people, but he was very, very honest that every time the Dodgers come into town, it's going to be that team's World Series. That was not meant to demean anyone. It was meant really to be realistic in the standpoint. Even more so this year, teams will publicize, Hey, the defending champions are coming into town. That's going to be the billboard, that's going to be the sales force. In other ball clubs, it's going to be more and more difficult, and the focus of attention is going to be there, no offense and butts. That being said, I agree with what you're saying because in that locker room coming into spring trending, those guys are driven. They've accomplished a lot, but their plate's not full yet.
Speaker 3: It feels like they're acting like they lost the World Series.
Speaker 1: And you want that. You want that instead of somebody said, well, you know, we'll have another mint jewelip, things will work out. Oh, we'll be fine. No, this not the case. They're going after it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And certainly the Dodgers took everybody's best shot last year, so this year is going to be no different, like you said, And when you look at the Dodgers' top to bottom, Kyle Tucker really shores up a hole that was in the lineup last year. As great as the Dodgers were, don't you feel like Tucker in between Otawni and Freeman and Betch just makes them that much more of a powerful offense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because this was a strong offense to begin with. But Kyle Tucker is also not a guy that you say, well, don't worry about him, let's work to the other guys. No, you're gonna have to worry about him. On top of it. Now we're David where Dave Roberts has him put in the lineup. As far as the positioning, we're gonna find out. Freddy Freeman said he's been told he will batter the number four spot when the season gets un away. He's trying to get a bats.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: We've seen him in the number two spot, we've seen him three, we've seen him four. That's not the big issue, but is there a soft spot in the Dodger lineup? Now? Occasionally it's going to be. I think one other thing we can talk about is the support staff, because you're not going to have the same eight horses, the defensive players, the same eight guys that are going to be healthy the entirety of the season. You're not going to have them all play one hundred and sixty two games during the regular season. So what about the support staff. The depth that we have seen so far in spring trending, in my estimation, is exceptionally strong. The guys can play multiple positions, for example, second base position. Right now, with Tommy Edmond on the men with the ankle surgery not going to be ready for opening day, you've got three guys at second base that or say, hey, I'm kind of earning it because they're playing very well. That's a good situation to really be involved with because you have support staff that's going to be there. It's going to be more than a twenty six man roster that's going to hopefully get to the World Series and maybe hopefully win another World Championship. It is going to take the entire forty man roster. We saw that over the last two years. There are going to be injuries. There's going to be guys that need a little rest here and there. You go into this whole thing. This is an organization. It's not just twenty six guys on the team. He had no doubt.
Speaker 3: Rick Monday is our guest, and he talked about me taking a week off. Rick Monday's been busy NonStop since Game seven of the World Series. And this year is a special year for Rick Monday and the country because it's the fiftieth anniversary of you saving the flag. And I feel like you may have had as busy of an off season as any of these World champion Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Had, I said waias my wife Barbara and I have been very busy, and it's going to pick up again. In May. We will go back to Cooperstown to Hall of Fame. We're going to have something there. We'll take the flag back there with us, and then go back again in July. The Hall of Fame inductions and the celebration right there. So it's going to be a busy deal. I'm proud of the fact that it has been recognized, not from what I did recognize, but I think the patriotism in the fact that this is our two hundred and fiftieth anniversary that's coming up. That happens to be the fiftieth anniversary of the flag incint it took place. But you know how I feel about the fact, have you been in the Marine Corps reserves for six years? I believe strongly in this country, and I believe very strongly in our military and their families. Their families cannot be overlooked, either because they go through a lot in deployment and also the amount of time that our military has to put in. I think we should all be very proud. And this is a time that is kind of challenging for us and people around the world. It's a wonderful time for us all to kind of join arms or join hands and move forward. Now I don't mean to sound corny about it at all. This is a great game of baseball. One of the things that's really nice is at Dodger Stadium every night, We've got fifty thousand people to come in, and it's like a chorus of Hey, let's watch this great game of baseball, and hopefully we all kind of bond a little bit together, because we're going to need that as we go along. It's been two hundred and fifty years. What is it going to be in year five hundred from now? You know, we're only a snippet and the time capsule, and we need to make sure that we capture things very well for our portion of that time capsule.
Speaker 3: How does it make you feel that the Baseball Hall of Fame wants to honor and celebrate the great play Rick Monday made fifty years ago?
Speaker 1: I happen to be close enough to do something about it, and I still get letters about it every week, people that were not even born at that particular time. I'm happy to have been part of it. You know. I just it's not difficult to do what you think is right, And fifty years ago I thought that it was right to not have that stand by and watch what represents the rights and freedoms for all of us. Now, how we handle that and protect that, that's up to us. But to protect the rights and freedoms. There's a lot of people, David Bassey, that had played the ultimate price that they had paid in order to protect those rights and freedoms. Let me tell you a quick story. At Walter Reed Army Medical Center a number of years ago, my wife, Barbary and I were there and we brought the flag with us, and we happen to be with the physician that was just absolutely marvelous right there at the hospital, and we met a young lieutenant that had been injured only about eight days before we were there and he was airlifted and was back and he was doing well. But we went and we were able to meet him and talk to him and he said, I understand you have the flag that you took away from those individuals number of years ago with you. He said yes, And Barbara, he said, would you like to have a photo taken us? Yes? I would. And about that time a piece of shrapnel began to come up on his hand and he said to my wife, Barbara, you need to take this flag. You need to take this flag. And he said, lieutenant, no, it's fine. If you happen to bleed on it. He goes, no, ma'am, it's not I will die protecting the rights and freedoms of that flag. I will not bleed on it. And he handed the flag back. To this day, I tell the story and I begin to tear up, because that's the attitude of our military, and we're very thankful for each and every one of them to protect us. Whether we see it, we better appreciate it and move forward.
Speaker 3: Have you ever thought, these many years later that God puts you in that position because you were the right guy at the right time and the right guy to keep this going.
Speaker 1: I just happened to be there. On a lighter side of it. I was also saying, tell you know, the last thing I wanted to do, was in retrospect, was to stand there and watch them burn the flag and then have one of my former drill instructors from the Marine Corps come up and say, Marine, why did you stand there and let them do that? That was the one thing that woke me up in a cold sweat one night. What would have happened if, well, we have that flag and very proudly be able to do some things with it. That has kind of captured some attention for those that really need. You know, my wife went cross country with this flag a number of years ago from our home in Vero Beach, Florida and Memorial Island with a group called the Patriogard Riders. Their mode of transportation is about ninety five percent motorcycles. And she went with him. Yes, we had our vehicle went as well that they referred to as a cage. But they went fourteen states in fourteen days, and at every state line they had a handoff ceremony to the next group of Patrioguard writers. And also as they went through these towns, you know, the welcome to and thanks for coming. We're only about ten feet apart. I mean, very small towns. But they tried to stop at every veterans hospital that they could. And I remember Barbary called me one night and says, we need to get involved. We need to help our veterans, and we need to improve what's going on in our veterans hospitals. And that's something that we have looked at. It was something that we have been able to get involved with. But they went fourteen states fourteen days, brought the flag back to Dodger Stadium for the very first time, and it culminated that trip from a letter that we got from a pilot, helicopter pilot, MEDEVAC pilot who flew over Baghdad with the folded flag on the glare shield of his chopper for a twenty four hour period, and the letter was, along with the flag, can you get this flag to a park? I believe it was in moderate park, a park where this young man now a helicopter pilot in a war in a foreign country. But I want to know if we could get it to park where he learned how to play baseball from little and on up and have them fly this flag on the flagpole there. So she contacted the patriogard writers and they did not know until that morning that she arrived in Memorial Island in Vero Beach, Florida, that she was also going to bring the flag that I took away from the guys, you know, fifty years ago. And that was quite a trip.
Speaker 3: That's amazing, amazing stories before I let you go, and you're the Ironman of Dodger broadcasters. After you saved the flag in nineteen seventy six wearing a Cub's uniform, you became a Dodger and your first spring training was in nineteen seventy seven with the Dodgers. Your first spring training as a Dodger was nineteen seventy seven, right, What do you remember the most about being at Dodger Town in Vero Beach for the first time wearing that uniform.
Speaker 1: It's something that I embraced because growing up in Santa Monica and the Dodgers moving out from Brooklyn. You know, I would look at the telecast and I found out a little bit about this this city, Vero Beach, in a little bit about Dodger Town, because they would run highlights of different things, and you know, watching and listening to Vince Cully and Jerry Doggett in either the radio broadcast hand or the television telecast. Being able to do that, I was somewhat familiar with it. But it was also Tommy Lasorda's first full year as the manager, nineteen seventy seven. I have a wonderful photo. It was taken that year as Tommy and I were walking away from the cameraman and I've got my arm around him because Tommy and we were in uniform. And Tommy tried to sign me out of Santa Monica High School and had my mother and I to dinner one night, and at dinner, Tommy, who was a scout at the time, not a manager, put a contract in front of my mother, a single parent, and she had pen in hand. She started to sign and then put the pin down, said no, Rick needs to go to college. If he gets hurt or can't make it, he has something to fall back upon. Tommy took the contract back, crossed out the number, put a bigger number, had it in front of my mom should pick up the pin the second time and put it down. The second time, Tommy took the contract back again, crossed out the number, and put numbers in that my mother would have to work for years in order to equal that number. And she had pen in hand the third time and put it down yet again and said, no, I'm not going to give away my son to this area right here, and I'm seventeen, just out of high school. Said if he gets hurt or can't make it, he needs to have something to fall back upon. He's going to go to college. So Tommy was telling me on that photo that we're both walking away from the cameraman. He goes, you know, your mom had the greatest negotiating tactics going of all the people that I signed. I said, Tommy, you don't get it. He goes. I don't get what he goes. My mom was not negotiating. My mom was trying to protect me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. We can all appreciate that Rick. Rick Monday has an Instagram by the way, that his daughter runs for him. So some of these stories and photos are coming to life on Instagram. So we look forward to seeing more of those, Rick, thank you.
Speaker 1: For follow you all the time and see what's going on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you see my life right, Rick, flashes right before your eyes. Maybe we'll take a picture now and send it.
Speaker 1: No, I tell you what. For everyone that listens to you, and I listened to each and every night at home during the regular season, you do a heck of a job. There's nobody else in this business that has the close relationships to the players of the organization than you do. David Besse, and for all of us around here, we understand how that works. They joke with you, you joke with them, but it's a bond, and you have earned that respect and that trust and that's not easy.
Speaker 3: No better validation than from you, Rick, So thank you and look forward to us spending a lot of quality time again this year.
Speaker 1: Don't go that far, just like I love you, but I'm all right.
Speaker 3: Rick Monday crashing the booth here. Appreciate him joining us on Dodger Talk tonight and when we continue. Not sure if Rick Monday is a big football fan, but a big Dodger fan is Derek Carr, the former Raiders quarterback, is going to join us next right here on a five to seventy LA Sports Am five seventy LA Sports. Great to have Rick Monday on in our last segment. The fiftieth anniversary of Rick saving the flag at Dodgers Stadium, and that certainly is going to be celebrated at the Hall of Fame and at Dodgers Stadium all season long. And a guy that I'm sure is very familiar with Rick Monday. I know he was an eleven year NFL quarterback, but Bakersfield used to be the single a affiliate of the LA Dodgers. They had the Brooklyn b for the Bakersfield Dodgers back in the day. He is the most famous Raider quarterback since and success well since Rich Gannon. And he's got a new podcast with his brother David home Grown. It drops every Thursday and We are so excited to have former Raiders quarterback and huge Dodger fan Derek Carr finally on Dodger Talk. Derek, thanks a lot for the time. Appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Oh absolutely, David, thank you so much. You have no idea how much it means to me to be able to be on here with you. So I appreciate you.
Speaker 3: I know, when I came to Raider camp and I met you for the first time in twenty nineteen, I was blown away. How big of a Dodger fan you were. How did this all start? Did it start with the Bakersfield Dodgers or they were You had to choose either Giants or Dodgers, and you went the right way.
Speaker 5: That's exactly right. No, we had the Bakersfield Dodgers, which was awesome because we could go there, Sam Land and go to these things and check them out and all that stuff. Growing up was so cool. My brothers, that's what they grew up doing, you know. And then my dad and our little church group for our youth where they would take like a trip every year down to Dodger Stadium and watch a game. So I got to see, you know, Griffy go ho for five and got to see all him strike out three or four times, and it was great because as a Dodger fan, and that's what you want to see. And so I got to experience that and do all those things as a kid. And so I think that we chose the right path because being in the Central Valley, you go one way or the other. And I think that we made the right choice.
Speaker 3: I would say, so, no doubt about it. So was that Ken Griffy Junior with the Reds that you saw play at Dodger Stadium?
Speaker 6: No, that was Mariners.
Speaker 5: We got to see them with the Mariners.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is certainly a great memory to have. And speaking of memories, everybody has a story, Derek about where they were watching Game seven of the World Series. Where were you watching Game seven of the World Series.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, that's a great question. We sold me and my boy as we were actually at our house watching and just going absolutely bonkers in our living room. And I think our neighbors thought something was wrong until they realized, oh, yes, they are not Giant fans, they are Dodger fans, and so uh, it just we couldn't believe it. Just the turn of events the home run, then you get the catch, and it's just like we just couldn't believe what was happening. So uh it was. It was a good time in our house, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: Okay, the catches when Pa haz ran over t K Hernandez, I mean, that was one of many plays the Dodgers could have lost the world series from you watching on Fox? Could you tell that Pa has made the catcher? Did you believe that it dropped?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 5: I had Honestly, I had no idea because I saw him, I saw him collide, key K goes down, and then I saw I saw Keyk's reaction, and so I'm like, oh.
Speaker 6: Dang, it's over. And then Paz goes.
Speaker 1: Jogging off like no, bro, like I got.
Speaker 5: It, Like we're so we were on our little group chat with me and my brothers just going absolutely crazy. But uh, but yeah, that's one of the moments right there. I'm pretty sure key K thought it was over too at that moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think he realized. Pa Haskotta, You're right, he didn't realize it. And then you know, Derek the biggest play to me, obviously, the home runs were huge but how about in field in ninth inning. Yeah, Miguel Rojas is able to make that incredible play and Will Smith's foot comes off and then goes back on that.
Speaker 5: So that's when we It was a great opportunity for me to tell my boys, like, you know, they they want to play baseball, football, basketball, They're doing all these things, and I's like, guys, this is why every detail matters, every rep, every practice. Can you you know, Coach Gruden would always tell me you got to get quicker mentally, physically, body quicker. Can you get the ball out of your hand even quicker? And I say, this is just a great display of all that hard work, all that dedication coming down to inches. You know, you know, having the right fundamentals, you know, the right footwork, the right h you know, the right quick release and and all those things. So it was a great opportunity for me to share by boys, like on the biggest stage, like all that stuff doesn't change. And even at that moment, I mean, you were inches away from obviously that being a disaster, but we end up making that play because of not not because they made that play in that moment, because of the work they did before. So It's actually a really cool lesson for my boys, and they were all into it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, being out here at spring training. Can you believe after those plays in the World Series, I'm watching Mookie Beds, Miguel Rojas, Munsey and Freddie working on those type of plays and working on the base running. So it is repetition. Is that similar to what happens in the NFL? Is repetition as big as it is in baseball?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know what's going through their minds. And obviously they're champions. Man, they're there and they're pros, pros. You know, they're obviously a great collection of talent. There's no denying that. But when you get a great clicktion of talent that works the way that they do, and you're saying, man, they're working on throwing infield, you know, taking grounders, base running, making sure my foot is hitting in the right place, because it really can be as they know, a game of inches that costs everything. And so for us, you know, you treat every rep as if it is Game seven, or in our case, you treat it as if it's the last drive of the Super Bowl. How's my footwork going to be?
Speaker 1: Am?
Speaker 5: I gonna you know, how quick am I going to get this ball out?
Speaker 6: How quick can I you know, make that release? How quick can I get it out of my hand? And the things that.
Speaker 5: I saw when you know, a lot of guys want to play professionally and it's awesome and to dream and all those things. But I had a coach tell me one time it is those details that turn this thing into a career or it just being a part time job for some guys, and it really stuck with me. So man I I it doesn't surprise me that they're working on those little things because that's that's what's given them such a long career. They keep grinding and thinking that they can get better, get quicker, get faster. You know, you hear Mookie throwing javelins now like different things, throwing it one hundred across the diamond and things like that. You know, they're trying to get better all the time. And this is coming from guys that are champions. But they understand what it means to be a pro, and that means it's never ending, you know, self improvement, self improvement, and that's obviously on display with those guys.
Speaker 3: Derek Carr is our guest the former Raiders quarterback is joining us. He's got a great podcast with his brother David, Homegrown. It drops every Thursday. Now, I got word Derek speaking of the World Series. You can tell me if this is true or not. But you received as a gift second base from Game six of the World Series. Is that the second base from this past World Series? You have that in your office?
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, we do.
Speaker 6: We have it in our office.
Speaker 5: And we put it right in the door where we do our homegrown deal. And if you want to come in our office, you have to round second. You have to catch the face to come in. So it's awesome.
Speaker 3: That is amazing considering that's how Game six ended with Key k Yes doubling up Barger at second base. How did you get that base?
Speaker 5: Honestly, we still don't have I don't even know if I have the real story yet. But a business partner of ours was like, man, I just wanted to get you guys something nice. And he said, I had no clue what to get you. So I thought Dodgers and he said I had I reached out and had someone and whatever, and he just went down this rabbit hole and sure enough it pops up in our office, and it's it's I mean, it's got the it's got the dirt marks, it's got the cleat marks, it's got everything. And I was like, dude, this is like such a precious thing to some Dodger fans obviously.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 5: For that moment to end right there at second base and now it's sitting here in our office in Presno, California.
Speaker 1: Is pretty cool.
Speaker 3: Derek. When you have a piece of I guess some people consider it memorabilia. Don't you view that more as a piece of sports history, Dodgery history, than you know, memorabilia.
Speaker 5: Oh, it's it's to me. It just tells the story. And it's so cool for for my boys that are Dodger fans and they're growing up and you know, loving baseball. You know, thirty years from now, they'll be able to point back and show somebody, no, this is from that game where they threw it to second base and doubled them up, and and what a cool story that'll be for you know, Dave and I's kids, you know, someday and for us to share. And it's and that's the best part about it. It's nothing that I want to It will never be something that you want to sell or do something with. It's something that you keep, and it's just so cool to have a piece of Dodger history, especially growing up, you know, being huge Dodger fans.
Speaker 3: We saw each other last May at Dodger Stadium. You brought your beautiful family out. Is there any desire to try to get Miguel Rojas or t k Hernandez to sign that Game six second base bag?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 5: Absolutely, So we've talked about that. It's like, dang, you know, they're getting ready for a game. We can't when is the right moment to ever bring it? You know, when when is those things? So hopefully hopefully one day, yeah, we'll be able to do that, but.
Speaker 6: It's definitely, you know, just being in their shoes.
Speaker 5: At some point in our life, we were like, probably not on game day, you know, it might not be the best time, but for sure that would be fantastic because we have you know, we got we're coming to ten games this year. Right came to the World Series, so we get to come to ten more this year. So I can't wait. Man, it's gonna be awesome.
Speaker 3: I am going to tell Miguil Rojas and Key k Hernandez that Derek Carr has that second base bag. I am going to make this happen for you.
Speaker 5: Oh you're the best that would Now, that would be awesome. That would be fantastic. Now we won't be able to step on it anymore, but that's okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, tell the kids lay off the bag once it's signed.
Speaker 6: That's right, that's exactly right.
Speaker 3: Okay. So you just mentioned like the pregame warm up, you saw batting practice guys come over, talk to the kids, take pictures as you were getting ready for a big Raider game. Could you ever do something like that? How different is you know, preparing hour before kick off compared to an hour before first pitch at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's the that was. So that's crazy to me because I was like, man, I don't know, you know, I tried to be gracious.
Speaker 6: I'll say this, I try to be grace. If I saw a kid, obviously I had high five of them or you know, say what's up to them. But to stand there and have a conversation and take.
Speaker 5: The time and all, it just meant so much to me, just you know, as a dad, Like it's cool obviously, you know, knowing some of these guys and being friends with some of them, but just as a dad that they would take the time, you know, to you know, sign some baseballs for my kid. You know, Tanner brought out a whole bunch of baseballs for my boys and signed them for them, and and all those things, and Hisung Kim, you know, saying hi to my son and these guys coming over like it. Just just as a dad, it means the world. And then it really puts in perspective, you know, the impact that you know, I was able to.
Speaker 1: Have in my time playing.
Speaker 5: You know, they just just saying hi to kid, high five of them, throwing them your wristband after a game or a towel or things like that. Just as a parent man, you really do appreciate when the pros, you know, go out of their way to do things like that. And I think that was the biggest thing to me is these guys are obviously great baseball players, but they're really great human beings and that was really cool.
Speaker 3: Derek Carr is our guest, and like I said, Derek, I'm a big Raider fan. It was a thrill for me to come to camp. A lot of Dodger fans are huge Raider fans. So if they draft Mendoza, Derek, you meant a lot to a lot of fans and to the organization. You left it all out on the field. How much would you love if the Raiders do what the Dodgers do, for instance, and bring back guys like Ethier and Utley and Oral Herscheizer. How would you feel if the Raiders? Do you have a desire if the Raiders asked you to, you know, kind of mentor Mendoza in training camp.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, I have told I've told my agent.
Speaker 5: I've told people. I was like, man, if they ever you know, if they ever want me to, you know, come out there and help him in any way. Now, they got so many great coaches and they got there and all those things.
Speaker 6: But I do know that building.
Speaker 5: I do know our fan base. I do know what you know, know what it means to be a Raider and if that's something that you know, mister Davis wanted and planting those guys, you know, just to spend some time with him and just someone would it's like to be a pro. You know, I tell people I'm the most upgraded version of you know, of the iPhone. You know, I just got out of it.
Speaker 6: So I get it.
Speaker 5: You know, I've seen the coverages, I know these things, and so if that's something that they would like, if that's something that gives him some value, I would absolutely be willing to help him in any.
Speaker 3: Way, maybe be his backup quarterback, or maybe be the guy. I mean, I don't know. I saw something where I guess on your podcast Homegrown. I don't know if you were having a stream of consciousness talking to yourself, but I guess you you threw it out there that maybe you're you're contemplating a comeback.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, it's funny, as I said eight months ago, if I was healthy and there's a chance to win a championship, I think any right minded quarterback or professional would would reconsider right. And that's exactly what I said eight months ago. I said it again a few months, you know, a few weeks ago, and everyone blew it up saying I'm coming back, And I was like, guys, my, I'm playing golf, you know, and if I'm training and i'm I'm I'm ready and I'm watching Dodger games.
Speaker 6: But yeah, baby, if.
Speaker 5: That opportunity, if that opportunity came up, I would consider it, you know, I would definitely say it's a maybe. But for right now, I'm enjoying my family. Like I don't need to play football, you know. I I love my wife way too much to just go play just to.
Speaker 1: Play, you know.
Speaker 6: So I am.
Speaker 5: I am good watching my kids and and and pouring into their lives. But if that's something that that ever came up, we'd have to we'd have to have a conversation, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: Derek, thank you so much for your time. I've got to ask you one more thing. Since you brought up enjoying playing golf, being with your family, Clayton Kershaw was doing all that until the World Baseball Classic called him to pitch for Team USA. Being a big Dodger fan, Kersh has been a Dodger your entire fandom. Basically, what does he mean to you as a Dodger fan and as a as a competitor?
Speaker 5: You know, just just watching Clayton over the years, and it's crazy, you know, to see the gray hairs in my beard and to think I've been watching him this whole time, you know, so I've seen I've seen the whole career, and uh, you know, it's funny because you know, I watch him and you just respect the competitor. You respect his talents. You know that curve ball man, it's so fun to watch, right, you know, you know the breaking pitches that guys are just falling on their knees and it's you. You got all these great and then he's sneaking a high heater and they couldn't catch it. You know, just you remember these moments, uh, you know, definitively. But then you get into the person, and I think we could all agree he's an even better person that he is than he is a you know, a pitcher and a baseball player. And and that's saying a lot obviously. So I appreciate him and what he did for the Dodgers and what he did for baseball, but more importantly, I appreciate who he is as a person, because he's someone I can you know, show my kids.
Speaker 6: You know, hey, he's a great guy to watch his highlights, to root.
Speaker 5: For and and all those things and whatever he does in Linch. So uh, you know, I pray for his you know, retirement. It's hard watch him, but I'm sure he's like me. He'll it'll be hard to watch, but he'll also enjoy his body feeling a little bit better.
Speaker 3: Hey, I think we can all agree that what you described us Kershaw off the field is what people say about Derek Carr off the field, and anybody that looked up to you can be very safe and knowing that you live your life the right way. And it's been a pleasure to kind of get to know you. And when I get Rojas and Keyga to sign that second base bag, it's going to be on your side. Tell David, it's not on his side of the bag, all right, that's on your side of that second.
Speaker 1: Base absolutely no.
Speaker 5: I appreciate you. Hey, David, you're the best man. Thank you so much, and go Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Hey, go Dodgers. And the three PETA is on Derek Carr. We'll see you at Dodger Stadium this year and we can't wait for the new Homegrown podcast to drop this Thursday. Thanks a lot for the time, Derek.
Speaker 6: Yep, I appreciate you.
Speaker 1: You have it going all right?
Speaker 3: There, he goes Derek Carr, former Raiders quarterback, former Saints quarterback, and one thing that is not former is his love for the Dodgers. And after the game today, I did tell Miguel Rojas that Derek Carr does have that second base bag from Game six, and he said, hey, tell him, tell him to bring it to Dodger Stadium. I'll sign it for him. So there you go. We made magic happen already. So thank you to Derek Carr for coming on the show and can't wait to hear what he has to say on the upcoming episode of Home Grown, which drops this Thursday. So thanks to Derek Carr for his time. In case you missed that conversation or our interview with our very own Rick Monday, you can find both of those on the iHeartRadio app. Our next Dodger Talk is going to be Thursday night at seven o'clock. That's going to be an interesting Dodger Talk because the Dodgers will be playing a spring training game. Yeah, that one is under the lights. We are not broadcasting the game, but the game will be an hour in when we take the air at seven o'clock that night from camel Back Ranch, and I'm trying to work on getting somebody or a couple of people to come up to the booth to be on the show and maybe take some calls while the game is going on, so seven o'clock on Thursday night should be a fun Dodger talk as the Dodgers will be playing under the lights that night here at camel Back Ranch. So that'll do it for us until then. Thanks to Ronnie Fossio for all his help, thanks to Colini who did a great job earlier today, and thanks to you for listening. We will talk to you Thursday night at seven o'clock. Fox Sports Radio is next. Have a great rest of your night, see you