Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger talking.
Speaker 2: Well, sometimes big TV stars return back home and don't forget the little people, and our guy, Clayton Kershaw has not forgotten the little people after making such a successful television debut last night. Thanks a lot for the time, and man, you really clean up nicely.
Speaker 1: Thanks what was your name again?
Speaker 2: Exactly? I was curious you were so close to the dugout last night. You said you were in the twilight zone. Was the first couple of innings awkward being that close with the headset on?
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, obviously I'd love to be in the dugout with these guys and watching the game. It's kind of I've done that a lot in my life, So I missed that. I missed kind of just being with everybody. But it was a cool gig to get to do and get to talk baseball and you know, orl and Louise and Jason up there. It was they did. They made it easy on me, so it was it was really fun.
Speaker 2: And but yeah, I missed.
Speaker 1: I missed being the dugout for sure.
Speaker 2: What's it going to be like for you tonight? Getting your ring and being part of this group again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's great. I mean we always every time. This is a really special day. You know, it's opening day, Ring Day, and then the rest of the season, so these guys can have the rest of the season. But I get tonight and I'm just I'm excited. I'm excited to see it. I heard it's pretty excessive, over the top, which is what it should be, and I'm just looking forward to it.
Speaker 2: Have you ever worn any of your other rings that you've won.
Speaker 1: No, But now that you mentioned it, I was gonna bring mine out here to have all three on and I didn't do that, so because I got it fitted for my right hand so I could wear like three at once. But they're not here, so I'll put it on my right hand.
Speaker 2: Though, when you go out to dinner your friends, when you go back to Texas when you first came back, does everybody want to see it? And do you feel like it's a letdown if you don't bring it out to everybody at the dinner party. I'll leave it at the house.
Speaker 1: But my dinner party, what do you think I'm having dinner parties?
Speaker 2: You're retired now, that's what you do. That's what you do. Get the tupperware.
Speaker 1: Dude, No, but my Charlie's got a tournament this weekend, so I might. Uh, I might tell the boys if they play good, they can see the ring.
Speaker 2: Clayton Kershaw is our guest, NBC's Clayton Kershaw is a fair or should I say peacock?
Speaker 1: You can say either.
Speaker 2: I think probably NBC. Though everybody focused on the suit and tie. But I noticed it's very vacation, like bronze gold to your face. Where were you Fiji before opening day?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: First spring break we've ever had.
Speaker 1: First spring break is a family non azy. So you know, we were in Miami for the WBC, so we just stayed out there for spring break, stayed in Florida, and uh, it's pretty great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I missed the WBC. I'm sorry, it's okay.
Speaker 1: Where were you?
Speaker 2: I was watching spring training baseball?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Nice, good, Good for you. Hey, your buddy Brad Paisley's out here tonight performing the national anthem. Was this coordinated for him to be out here knowing that you would be.
Speaker 1: Here, Well, we texted, but I think it was a happenstance more than a coordination. But he's really good at it. He asked me if we wanted to switch, and I sing the anthem and I said no.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good choice, Yeah, good choice, good choice. It seems like you're so at peace with all of this. It feels like you you understood what you contributed to the game, but you don't seem to have that fomo that guys that just retired usually have.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, I'm sure that I'll kick in at some point, but I also know that, like I did, I did just about as much as I could. The everything was slowing down a little bit, and just that there are so many factors, and then when you top it all off with the way it ended, it's just like you can't really ask for anything more. So I'm at peace with all that. It doesn't mean I don't miss it. It doesn't mean I don't miss being around the guys and hanging out, flying with them, playing cards. Just uh, I just knew it was probably my time.
Speaker 2: You feel like you'll have some sort of connection to the organization as time moves on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I'll always be a Dodger. I want to help in any way I can. And from Afar, you know, there's probably not going to be much traveling in my future. But if I can help, you know, if I watch games, I know I'm gonna watch all the games. So if there's somebody that wants to talk or see something or whatever, I want to be a part of this group. And I think Andrew will let me do that, so'll be good.
Speaker 2: All right, Before I let you go, I'm just curious about, you know, all of that, any recruiting. Did you recruit Tucker? Were you trying to recruit Schooble during the World Baseball Classic?
Speaker 1: You know, think about the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't really know if you have to recruit anymore. You know, it just kind of everybody kind of knows a great place to be and just by word of mouth, by other people being here. And so Tucker, Tucker figured it out, and I'm sure Scoob's at the end of this year, if everything's even, he'll figure it out too.
Speaker 2: All right, thanks a lot, it's great to have you back here. Thanks. Can't wait to see get that third ring.
Speaker 1: Dave, that's your name, That's what it is great to see.
Speaker 2: Thank you. They remember my name, Bob Costas's sidekick. Remembering my name