Speaker 1: Mac you see this, you hear about this?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: The Jackass crew now has a consolation in the night Skyla? What did I say?
Speaker 2: You've got the tea?
Speaker 1: Check the tape. Each member has officially gotten their own star, and together the stars create a giant penis. They call it the Little Dicker Good.
Speaker 2: I gotta say these days in my lifetime here, I guess just life lifetime wouldn't be appropriate. There, maybe over my whole lifetime. At this point, I'm not sure I've been more jealous than someone just like a normal dude. Like, of course I can never be Bardie Bonds, I can never be show a Hotani. All these crazy superstar athletes musicians throw them on there. But why Jackass is so magical, It's because that was all us at one point, or aspired to be, Like it was a possibility any of us could have been bambarjer or Ryan Johnny Knoxville. And so the fact that they have become so successful that they have been recognized astronomically off this planet, outside of this literal world, they have stars named after them to create up a constellation. And what does it form? The funniest thing always a giant penis.
Speaker 1: Now I'm not sure if they were given these stars or if they did one of those. You make a phone call. I want to buy that star. I want to buy that star. I want to buy that highway type of thing.
Speaker 2: Oh, should we be buying stars? Is it is that stars and pokemon and the two things are going to the moon.
Speaker 1: You can buy moon.
Speaker 2: The moon is in the stars.
Speaker 1: The moon is in the stars. The moon is a star. You can. That's like when people say, oh, a whale's a fish, but yeah, you can. That used to be able to buy everything back in the day if you wanted to stretch of the highway.
Speaker 2: What do you think the people on the moon say when things are going to the moon? This? This is gonna this is gonna go to the sun.
Speaker 1: It's probably too busy chewing up all that free cheese. But let me ask you this, Mac, This is a stellar idea, Yeah, an interstellar uring A tough time this episode, guys, real, real bad all around it. Do you have enough friends that you could have done this?
Speaker 2: Yes? I do?
Speaker 1: Ah man, because I don't, I definitely do. I don't.
Speaker 2: I also like I because of the nature of my job, I'm close with a few CLO workers as well. You know, home friends, college friends. I have enough I could have I've could have done a cock. I could have got a cock done for sure?
Speaker 1: What do you think I could do? Like, say, if I have four friends, what do you think me and my four friends could do a sack?
Speaker 2: Or maybe one side of the shaft.
Speaker 1: I don't want just a sack, a half shaft?
Speaker 2: Max?
Speaker 1: That could be It could be a fucking an alignment of stars.
Speaker 2: We should buy a constellation and call it Max Sack.
Speaker 1: How many stars do we need for Max Sack?
Speaker 2: It's a great We gotta find a good cluster. I'll start searching for clusters.
Speaker 1: Also, do you buy stars or do you adopt them?
Speaker 2: I don't know. You're the one that told me.
Speaker 1: But also, if you're adopting a dog, don't you still have to pay for the dog? A one time fie a one time fee when you adopt something, it's a one time fee. If I own a star, I would then let people rent the star. Is that something that we can start doing?
Speaker 2: You might be something here. Hey, I bought the star for three dollars. It could be yours for one night a week for ten cents.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing I am never gonna own a house in my life unless it is given to me because I can't afford anything.
Speaker 2: We might be stumbling upon it here Goo for next Valentine's Day. I'm gonna buy my girlfriend a star. You're gonna buy your wife a star. There's nothing greater. It's celestial.
Speaker 1: But then we need to make money from it.
Speaker 2: Gotta figure out I make money off.
Speaker 1: I own three stars. I have three certificates saying I own these stars. How do I make money from this?
Speaker 2: One? Good? Three?
Speaker 1: Yeah, job three? King of quam Mill Street Entertainment, I'm good and we are the Mac and Goo program. We bring you dull colored friendship.
Speaker 2: Okay, sure, sure, I don't. I don't like your attitude.
Speaker 1: Well no, that's the color palette of the movie, and I don't. Some people are a little harsher on this movie. And you know what they say, Cream rises to the top.
Speaker 2: Oh you know what. The bad guy's name of this goo.
Speaker 1: Is Krem Krem. Crem Della Krem Krem rises to the Crem City is what the Milwaukee Bucks.
Speaker 2: Are in this movie. Also, sorry, Crem eats a pie, but there was no Crem pies.
Speaker 1: So like cream rising to the top, Yeah, negative reviews get the most clicks. Sure, so while this might be floating around a sixty percent on roddy Te's, which is what it is right now, the more hateful reviews are gonna be the one that pop up on your timeline.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is falling victim to two things predominantly here Goo. As we've seen in Marvel, the female led films get absolutely lamb basted by a certain percentage of the population. Now that's happening here as well. It happened with Wonder Woman, it happens in general. Additional to that is and this there is a big overlapping percentage of folks here who still think Zack Snyder deserves his DCU, and so those people are gonna lampoon every DCU.
Speaker 1: They also don't like James Gunn. There are some people that don't like James Gunn. Yeah, and so then you have that they want gun control. They're saying the gun is jammed.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of things working against it, including the fact that you know, this is also a hero that's not that popular. So there's a number of things at work here, Goo. And then outside of the dc in the supergrowth centric stuff, it is also going up against Toy Story five, a juggernaut at the theater, no chance, and so it's just a bunch of factors that have led to it. In general, underwhelming response to this movie, but for you and I go I almost felt once we saw the reaction, I was totally surprised to the Roddy t score. But I'm I'm like, did we watch a different movie? Because this is a generally enjoyable movie. I might agree that. Okay, you don't necessarily have to see it in the theaters, which hurts it number one, but it's a generally good theater experience. The characters are good. Yeah, the story is nothing unique, but I mean how and again, I might be the simpleton here. If you give me a story in story notes and themes that I like, I'll watch that over and over and over and again if I like the characters.
Speaker 1: Friend of the podcast, Wesley Burho asked me, said, is this a movie that I need to go on Friday night to see? Or can I wait for the discounted price on two Tuesday? And I said, the discounted price on Tuesday might be that baby Bear Porridge.
Speaker 2: That's a good one for it. I think that this is a perfect six dollars Tuesday movie. Whether whether we like it or whether DC likes it or not.
Speaker 1: Who gets the money for that?
Speaker 2: I'm assuming the theater doesn't get much of that ticket money. They're trying to get people in the door to sell the snack scoop, which you will not be buying. You're going to be bringing your own burritos.
Speaker 1: If we own a star and we see someone outside with a telescope, we can get them arrested. Right.
Speaker 2: I think we get a tenth of a penny per scope.
Speaker 1: So we need to start going around at night looking for people on telescopes.
Speaker 2: Do you scope a scope? Do you need a scope to scope the scope?
Speaker 1: I'd have binocular cyscope, so you go buyos over buyos, but at night you need the green buyos night googles. Yeah, oh my god, I'll tell you what Paris Hilton was ahead of her time. But also I have a telescope.
Speaker 2: Splinter cell fan.
Speaker 1: I live in Boston. Yeah, brag that light pollution. You can't see Dickett.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're in the city limits.
Speaker 1: You're in Boston, proper, I can't see anything. It's not even worth owning a telescope.
Speaker 2: Does that massive hotel block your view of the city or is that off to the side.
Speaker 1: It's off to the side, but when you look at the sky it's just fog.
Speaker 2: Goo. Supergirl is a PG thirteen action adventure drama in sci fi subgenres of that. DC has now made it into IMDb as an official genre.
Speaker 1: D That makes sense. Now we're a little more in your face than that Marvel garbage.
Speaker 2: We also have space, sci fi and Superhero. This is a run time of one hundred and seven minutes. The box office projection GOO for this week the optimistic one fifty five million, pessimistic forty million, uh and it is trending to make only one hundred and fifty to two hundred million domestically. I don't have the worldwide number, so this is trending in the Mandoin grogu section, which is not good.
Speaker 1: My hand is up, Yeah, go ahead, I would hammer the under a yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I think it's gonna make like forty five.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go you ready for this price is right? Twenty five million?
Speaker 2: Well, these weren't the initial projection schoo. These are the tempered ones off the initial preduction.
Speaker 1: And I'm gonna tamper it even further.
Speaker 2: All right, I think you just lost some money. But that's a nice bet for you.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna lose my star. I'm gonna wager my star on it.
Speaker 2: Good odds there gou action adventure, drama, sci fi. There's not a ton of drama here because you know how it's gonna kind of play out. But I think they did the action adventure in sci fi. Well, I think those all three of those they checked the box for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're all in space, we're all racing across the galaxy. We're trying to find the bad guy to get the antidote.
Speaker 2: I should have looked up the budget for this movie. It seems like based on how much money it's gonna make, this could end up losing money. Not great being the second cinematic entry into James Guns DCU, but it's also again all those factors, and I don't think anyone thought the Supergirl movie was gonna be the one that made the DCU.
Speaker 1: I was also hoping going into this and it would make just enough money to not fail further the story, which I think it did, and not off road what Gun is doing. But it might not, but it also might there's a yeah, that's nice.
Speaker 2: It is teetering on two of those three things. I agree with you there on Roddy teazgo the aforementioned score of fifty seven from the critics. We don't have an audience score yet because we're recording prior to this movie being out. Braack for us huh oh.
Speaker 1: We put out a little tease. Yeah, oh, let us know, let us know. Do you want us to do more of that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? You want more?
Speaker 1: Or dervs, We're only going to give you, like five six from hors to wares. Take it easy. We're only gonnave you five or six minutes. I feel like this is something that you might want. Sure if you do, let us know. If you don't respond, we'll probably still do it anyway.
Speaker 2: I think it's good for these in between movies. For the six dollars Tuesday Movies. One hundred and fifty two critic reviews, so most critics have seen it, reviewed it already, and they're basically telling you it's okay, it's not great, not bad, there's nothing new.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you loved Superman, this is flip it on its head and reverse it.
Speaker 2: He's yeh, go on Metacritic of fifty, so that's pretty low. The fifty seven percent I somewhat expected. The fifty is pretty low. I was expecting like low sixties, mid sixties for this, which would be solid, not great. So I does feel like they've got a bone to pick here because I don't think this I think this movie is better than that. Speaking of the creators of the movie, Goo, this is written by Anna Nogera, and we don't know her Goo. She's new. She was initially hired by Warner Brothers in twenty twenty two to write a spinoff for the Sasha Kali version that's the version of the character Supergirl from The Flash, and then when gun and Saffron came on, they were so impressed with her work and how she was adapting the source material they kept her on for the new Supergirl script.
Speaker 1: Does it concern you still that James Gunn said the Flash, which we didn't hate, but he said, it's one of the best superhero movies of all time.
Speaker 2: I told you that's where we started to turn on them a little bit. You can't just don't.
Speaker 1: Lie to us once again for a movie having a titular character and twins that we hate. It's about as good as you could have done.
Speaker 2: Agreed, totally agree there and Twins. Go Anna Nogera is currently tasked with writing two more upcoming movies in the DCU, although one might be a show, but it's teen Titans and Wonder Woman. I don't know if we're getting a Titans movie or not, but she's tasked with those two scripts. I didn't have an issue. So there was that Variety article calling this the worst written movie like ever, that it's nowhere, no person. I don't even have an issue with the writing. It's a bit lazy, but she's adapting a comic. Who do you want?
Speaker 1: You know what something like this might do is it might push the studio to tell James Gunn use characters people already know, or.
Speaker 2: You do those stuff, or you hire notable guys.
Speaker 1: Do Wonder Woman next? Give us Batman, give us Batman again, give us another Batman, and I think more Batman.
Speaker 2: I think some of that attitude is resonating with a lot of people and now seeping into people's feelings amongst other stuff, because it's hard to build up this universe without your Batman. I think people are like, where's my Batman? It's my Batman. I need it now.
Speaker 1: Also, what Superman had as an advantage over this movie is it was allowed to start in the middle tell a story and not do the origin story because we have seen the origin to Superman fifty times. While we knew what the origin to Kara was, many people don't. So they had to explain you don't know, yeah, okay, So they had to explain why she's different than Superman, and they had to take twenty minutes of the movie that some might find a little tedious. I liked it, Mac liked it, but some might find it a little tea.
Speaker 2: I don't know shit about Supergirl, so I liked it.
Speaker 1: There we go. But they did have to detour from the story to go and do that.
Speaker 2: And again, that's also a thing you see in a million times where all right, we're forty minutes in, let's do a ten minute flashback to explain why this person is the way.
Speaker 1: How would you feel if instead of them doing the flashback, they just started the movie with text and they told you and then you had to read.
Speaker 2: No. What I hated that The director of this movie is Craig Gillespie, who's had a very interesting directing career. You would know him from the American classic Mister Woodcock from Ott seven.
Speaker 1: Woodcock is not my favorite movie. I know that you were insinuating that.
Speaker 2: But he also directed millen million Dollar arm I Tanya, which was fantastic. I loved Cruella, which I think did a lot better than we expected. He also directed Dumb Money, which was sneaky good.
Speaker 1: I didn't like Dumb Money.
Speaker 2: Oh, I liked it.
Speaker 1: I didn't like Dumb Money. I think I preferred Mister Woodcock, starring Billy Bob Thornton, Stiffler and Ethan Suplee and Thelman, Louise Somelma Blair. No, Thelman, Louise Redhead.
Speaker 2: Oh, Susan Sarandon, Susan Sarandon, you know where would you know Susan Sarandon from.
Speaker 1: Go Ahead, Go Ahead, No, go Ahead? Step Mom, Stepmom? Okay, all right, you got me? Fine, great movie. Brea to your eye, maybe not my eye. I don't give a shit about Stepmom's a.
Speaker 2: Different step Mom movie than a lot of people were expecting to see. Too.
Speaker 1: Oh no, she got caught in the dryer again.
Speaker 2: Good upcoming for Craig Gillespie. Here's something called Archie Is that from the Archie comics.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure you know what I'm going to assume. So because Disney has a little thing with them, there you go, not Disney w B doll Confuse what DC.
Speaker 2: Caillespie is also directing forty two point six Years, which I think we've seen a teaser for or something like that.
Speaker 1: Is that the Andy Sanmdberg One, Yes, yeah, so we haven't seen a teaser. We saw a clip in Florence Pugh, him and Florence Pew on a bike.
Speaker 2: That's what it was, and I think we briefly talked about it during the movie.
Speaker 1: It's an interesting concept because he gets frozen and then tries to find the love of his life but she is now old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go. So Craig Gillespie directing that synopsis of Supergirl Carra Zrel aka Supergirl joins forces with an unlikely companion on an interstellar journey of vengeance and justice when an unexpected adversary strikes too close to home.
Speaker 1: Here's what I think people have an issue, and it's in that synopsis. This is the same synopsis to like ten movies that have come out in the last seven eight years. The Interstellar part you could literally just take out names and move like that is that's doctor strange multiverse of me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know what, but this is this is better than that movie. Number one.
Speaker 1: That's because you are promised less. That's the only reason why is because you're promised less.
Speaker 2: This this has uh some of those like key Western themes of revenge, Like they talk about true grit being an inspiration for this movie and has a lot of that. It also has a lot of stuff we've seen before, which is fine, but that's what keeps it from being great of course, and you know something people are gonna run home and tell their friends to see. But it doesn't make it bad because everything we've seen, like do you.
Speaker 1: Have like what is this? I don't talk to my friends about anything. Are we even friends anymore?
Speaker 2: This movie stars Millie Alcock as carroz or laka super Girl. I liked her, Yeah, she was very good, good to great. In fact, Eve Ridley as Ruthie. That's the little girl that's along, She's the unlikely companion. She's the grogu Goo. Matthias showing arts as Krem He's the bad guy and he's a really bad guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so if you like complex villains where you're saying to yourself, do I side with them? Do they have a point? This guy I don't even think has a plan. He's just a bad person.
Speaker 2: If you like people that rape, rob and pillage, this is a villain if you.
Speaker 1: Are into vikings, if you are into pirates, we're in space and that's what we're doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's also be dazzled.
Speaker 1: So if you like that too, that that was actually one of my favorite not my favorite parts, but there's a little joke of like like a head butt and then you get the bedazzled on your face.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I like that. I like that they came off. I'd like to know how he acquires them.
Speaker 1: Also, do you want to do that to your face? Is that what you're telling me?
Speaker 2: Be interesting? On my head? Though? As a fellow bowl oh.
Speaker 1: I noticed that you got a you got hair transplants. No, those are beads. Those are silver beads.
Speaker 2: I walked into the adult section at the video store and they just stuck to my head. Good Jason Human disco Ball jasonam Jason Momoa as Lobo. I'll say this, if you're listening to this point and you haven't seen this movie and you're thinking about seeing it for Lobo reasons, you're gonna be a little disappointed. He's really in like one and a half two scenes.
Speaker 1: Also, I would have taken one of those half scenes away. I think you got a little too much Lobo because he just does the same thing over and over again.
Speaker 2: But I think I would have added a scene so they facing Lobo over Aquaman as a fit.
Speaker 1: Yes, Like my wife said to me, why is he in this movie after he was Aquaman? Why is he a new character? And I said, first off, different timelines, read a book. Second off, if you look at a photo of this character, it is Jason Momoa.
Speaker 2: If you look at a photo and the like character traits match him and what.
Speaker 1: He's motorcycle, laughing, throwing hooks. Yes, yes, it's all stuff that we've seen Momoa do on the Jimmy Fallon show.
Speaker 2: Gou Also in this, of course, is David corn Sweat as Superman. He's mostly there on a screen. He he facetimes in a couple of times, he's he does He's there for a reason.
Speaker 1: I love this character though I love him as Superman.
Speaker 2: I totally agree, totally agree, David Crumholtz plays Kara's Father's I.
Speaker 1: Have no idea he was in this movie.
Speaker 2: I thought I did, I don't remember. He's good. He's good in the flashbacks Emily beacham Placer, her mother Alora Zarel, and then we also have some notable characters here Goo Ruthie's family is played by Ferdinand Kingsley. That's Elias the Swordmaker. Her mother's played by Emily Pigford, her brothers Bruce Lennox, and then go the couple to Lissa to Schera as Marek Vrand and Kadif Krouan as bomarv Ran. So that's all you really need to know character wise for this movie. Go in this universe and James Gunn's DCU. This is technically I think the fourth entry. We have Creature Commandos, Superman and Peacemaker season two.
Speaker 1: But parts of season one.
Speaker 2: Count, like eight seconds of season one count. I think the hey, here's what you missed at the beginning of season two that I think that all counts. So this would be the fourth entry. And if you remember at the end of Peacemaker season two, which came out post Superman. End of Superman, we see Lex locked up, YadA YadA. Peacemaker season two has the company Argus, which is run by Rick Flagg Senior. They utilize Lex and his tech guy whose name escapes me, to make use of peacemakers Porto technology, and with that they put Chris aka Peacemaker on that planet Salvation trap him there, that's really real release.
Speaker 1: They trap them with the Peppermint Twins and.
Speaker 2: Then go next up in this universe, we're looking forward to Lanterns, a HBO Max show August. I think it's July.
Speaker 1: July, so they just started Game of Thrones. I think Lanterns is after Game of Thrones.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, probably, yeah, probably right.
Speaker 1: So it's eight episode run question Mark.
Speaker 2: So then we get Lanterns, and then in October, I believe we're getting Clayface. Cinematically someone's talking about him cutting off his eyelids with scissors. Uh so this this will be They're gonna need those two to land. I'm not questioning where they're going or gun at all until maybe those two flop. If that happens, then we're like, okay, we have three good, three not so good. Let's see where we are. But I want to underscore here. Yes, this movie is not the most creative. However, it takes a character that no one really cares about, it makes her endearing, makes her good.
Speaker 1: I think some people do care about her because she got that television show for a while.
Speaker 2: Oh, Melissa Benoist from.
Speaker 1: Yeah please oh to the critics, and I'm not gonna poke it because we are critics. That's what we are. Mac you and I were critics, Yeah, just like John Lovets. But to the people that are like that makes you miss the nineteen eighty four movie, shut that up, your butt, shut up? Yeah, kick, No, that movie stinks. Don't uh this movie makes you miss No, it doesn't. That is such a garbage statement.
Speaker 2: Before we get to the Gauntlet, and before we spoil this movie, I just want to underscore once.
Speaker 1: Again, stop underscoring shit.
Speaker 2: If you like classic superhero movies and classic superhero themes where you have a really bad guy and it's oh, will this hero do this to save so and so, you're gonna like this. It's a classic thing. It's not new, it's not unique, it's not groundbreaking. But if you give me good, good characters with good action sequences and a fun soundtrack, I'm probably gonna like the movie you.
Speaker 1: Your blurb on the DVD is just it's not new, it's not groundbreaking whatever, and then just thumbs up, one thumbs up, one thumb I'd like a bunch of thumbs here. Should we do our nonagon?
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 1: Fun factor. I had a little bit of fun with Supergirl early as she deals with her off planet difficulties, but it wasn't until we got some of the action at the end that I was kicked up to that next fun level. So it didn't have a ton of fun.
Speaker 2: It didn't have a ton It had enough.
Speaker 1: I'd say enough fun, and I do. Like when Superman shows.
Speaker 2: Up, they're all, he didn't really show up.
Speaker 1: When he shows out, don't trick.
Speaker 2: The folks into thinking.
Speaker 1: I love the twenty c He shows up in the background of every scene and he does something cool every single I think.
Speaker 2: The action was fun here. I laughed all that twice one. I'm not sure sure they intended, but it was hilarious. So it's fun. It's fun enough.
Speaker 1: That's a good point by you. It's not as funny as they think it is. That's true to which that might hurt it.
Speaker 2: That's where you needed maybe gun to copen this, not leave it up to just No Garret and have him write a little bit of it.
Speaker 1: I feel like when someone said, hey, could you punch up this script, they thought add more punching scenes as opposed to write jokes. Yeah, that's a really fucking stupid thing. I just said, we're this is one of our work. We're not having a good time satisfactor. While the movie on the whole not the most satisfying, I do like the conclusion.
Speaker 2: The resolution of this movie I found incredibly satisfying. And to me, the big market teas of this movie is like, Okay, she's very much liked Superman in a lot of ways, but her decision making is much different.
Speaker 1: Power wise similar, Yeah, and it leans too lively more.
Speaker 2: Satisfying conclusions, and I want heroes with this power. I wish it was even more fantastic what happens. But I was very pleased with the resolution between Supergirl and Kremp Borometer.
Speaker 1: I thought it had a consistent level to it. And if you think that level is kind of boring, I'm not gonna argue with you, but I don't think it had any big dips.
Speaker 2: No, I agree it was the pulse was good on.
Speaker 1: This, maybe for the flashbacks, but once again they needed the flashback.
Speaker 2: They're necessary for this and to round out Clark aka Superman's story Halloween.
Speaker 1: Will this movie wane over time, and there is a possibility, but I think that Mac out of spite is gonna like it more.
Speaker 2: I have found myself, in general, liking these female led superhero movies more than the general public. And yes some have waned weaned over time, but but I feel like I still like Wonder Woman with the appropriate critiques, is still an enjoyable experience, and I can't away thinking like this is not that far from that. I might have liked it more than that.
Speaker 1: This goes you like a good ending, Yeah, exactly, a quater world. Is this better or worse than the nineteen ninety five classic water World? It's better when life gives you plemons. He takes a role and says, this is mine. No matter how small it is, you're gonna remember it forever. Who did that? Who said I'm Jesse Plemmons in this movie and made you say, hey, now hey, now.
Speaker 2: This is a mad so you could say Momoa's Lobo. It wasn't my favorite. I thought Crumbolts as Zorrel was great.
Speaker 1: Hey, he was good.
Speaker 2: He made plemonade in his what.
Speaker 1: Three scenes Max Credit Union.
Speaker 2: So this one is a little tougher. And this is where I'm thinking, you know, the standout factor for this movie is lacking in both. Maybe the performance Millie Alcock was very good to great, but it's not going to keep you coming back. And there's also as good as the action scenes were, there's nothing that's like, oh, you gotta see it for this. So I'll give credit to Alcock for delivering on the role. And I think like definitively better than what we saw in the flash from what's her name? Sasha kale Kalie, I don't even know how to say her last name. But I also want to point out here that Eve Ridley, the younger teenageish girl, she belonged, She didn't get in the way. She was pretty good.
Speaker 1: Pants ten City Excite, bike Mania? What got you going from this flick? I enjoy seeing Supergirl rag dolling people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a couple of great action scenes, but once again, the pants tent for me here is at that conclusion, the resolution what happens there. I was tremendously satisfied by For.
Speaker 1: Those of you tarnet to the Mac and Goop party, we rate everything on a forty hot dog rating system.
Speaker 2: Mac.
Speaker 1: I thought this was a pretty good DC world builder. I wonder full counter to the bright, optimistic Superman. This side, we're looking at dull colors. We're looking at off planet. We're looking at her with a much more jaded attitude. Millie Alcock was great. I enjoyed having a villain. It's not I don't want this every time, but every once in a while a villain that just purely sucks and there's nothing more to it. You don't like him, and he's doing bad, bad things.
Speaker 2: And on that note, good too. There has been, as we said, a lot of criticisms about the lack of depth in the villain for someone's first movie, first adventure. Totally fine having a faceless villain to just defeat. It's a stepping stone on to greater things.
Speaker 1: It wasn't as much Guardians as the trailer made it look to be. I've seen a lot of people comparing it to more of a mad Max. I am seeing that. I love it. Well, don't say too much. David corn sweat popping up every once in a while is Superman. But I will say this, I am sick of the kid sidekick Slash. They are now pulling the reluctant hero along with them. I'm I've just seen this too many times and I don't need this really anymore. I liked Momoa. I would have liked maybe one or two scenes less give me that one or two action scenes and that's really all we need there and then the conclusion. While I like where we end up, and we'll talk about this in spoilers, I'm just curious about the bad guy planning Slash, then convenience of how she is able to step forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, understood, goo. Where do you have it? Hot Dog wise thirty two? Okay, yep, pretty reasonable. So that's B minus. Yeah, yeah, uh goo. I am thinking about this and I've already framed it this way, and I think it's naturally, you know, normal to compare this to the prior female led superhero movies because.
Speaker 1: It's because you're a one track brain.
Speaker 2: But they're facing a lot of the same criticisms. So with that in mind, I'm talking about Captain Marvel, the Marvel Wonder Woman, and Birds of Prey for the more notable ones over the last decade plus. I think I liked this movie as much as any of those, maybe more so. With that in consideration. I gave Captain Marvel thirty three, that might have come down a dog or two. I gave the Marvels thirty four, which I still don't know why that didn't do all that well. Wonder Woman. I gave it thirty four, which maybe has come down one or two as well, and Birds of Prey at twenty seven. So I think this is right in that range, like thirty three, thirty four, and again, maybe that's lazy on my end, not comparing it to those, but it just seems natural to do that. My main criticism of the movie is that when James Gunn hit with Guardians of the Galaxy, it was somewhat similar outset a character, especially there. It's not as much here a character no one is really tied to. Everyone knows Supergirl, but no one's claiming Supergirls their favorite hero, So you have the ability to take some swings here they did it, and Guardians of the Galaxy, with the nameless, faceless feeling like grown in stinks, they didn't do it here. They played it pretty conservatively. And don't get me wrong, I liked what we got, but it was missing that swing at the fence here, and I get maybe that's because this movie's coming second as opposed to Guardians, which came what tenth twelfth in the MCU. So it served. It did a good job of being a table setter and a world builder. I wanted it to take a couple more swings, even one more swing, a big swing. It didn't do that, so that's my primary criticism. Secondarily, I wish they either made me really like Lobo or had less of them. To your point, they kind of middled it a little bit. Less would have teased him more. The amount that we got I think was intended for you to love him and look forward to more outings with him, and I didn't feel that way. So ultimately, I think I have this at thirty three hot dogs. I like this movie. I think it's worth seeing in the theaters. If you don't, I'm not gonna blame you, and you're also not gonna regret it. I don't think.
Speaker 1: I'm also curious too, just looking at box office wise, this movie is I think as close to like pushing it toward an R without it being an R.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so that might have helped it as well.
Speaker 1: But also I don't think any children are gonna be able to go and support, you know this making money, like if you have a daughter that you want to bring to the female led superhero movie, or like me with my son, my son's asked me a couple of times, can I go see it? I'm like, you're turning six. No, you're not seeing this for probably a handful of years.
Speaker 2: And you know what, once again, they middled it there. They missed out on the sweet R stuff and tried to do a little bit of it. You end up with the PG thirteen but PG thirteen on the high end of it. So you're you're not. You can't have a six year old seat, you can't have an eight year old see it. You know, It's just they in a couple of instance says instead of making a decision and sticking to something, they tried to do both things, and they really middled both.
Speaker 1: Shall we get to spoilers, let's do it spoilers spoilers. Spoiler is really only one thing, and it is so the final act of the movie, we are taken to a planet that has both a yellow and a green sun. If the plan was to have Kara die because of the green sun, why not pick a planet and maybe there are none, Maybe we're fucking stupid. Why would you take her to a planet that after twelve hours she'll be repowered.
Speaker 2: So here's my answer to that, gu go on her coming to in the sunlight, the yellow sun and getting her powers back. We all saw coming from a mile away and my head, this was Krem and his crew's best course of action to protect against someone like Supergirl, someone likes Superman. That there isn't a planet that exists with just a green sun. So their next best option was to have twelve or fourteen hours of coverage.
Speaker 1: They were trying to find her. They were trying to have her on the planet, find her and kill her. So that is that it wasn't just bring her there and just expect her to die. But I'm like, okay, yeah, we're setting this up for this. That's super convenient.
Speaker 2: I agree, convenient, lackluster from a storytelling standpoint, but I also was like, I get it. You don't have to like it, but I get it.
Speaker 1: When he created those little pin missiles that had little traces of kryptonite, in there. Why didn't he just poison her with the same poison that the dog got poisoned with, because that's gonna kill or would that not affect her because the sun is there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, once the sun was out, I think.
Speaker 1: But when she was on the planet where there was a yellow sun, she was still able to be poisoned. She had to throw it up so she can be poisoned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. There are obviously questions amongst that stuff, And when you introduce that stuff and get into that stuff, you're opening yourself up to criticism and with the consistencies. I do like, however, that there are some hard and fast rules, right red sun, normal, yellow sun, powers, green sun death. When it comes to the intermitten stuff, like I get, people might be like, well, she could do this, but couldn't do this. That's always the case with all these heroes and all these movies. You could do it better, surely, but it didn't bother me. I guess to the extent that it's bothered some other people.
Speaker 1: Do you have anything else in spoilers?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So she kills Krem. She stabs Krem square in the chest and then basically slits his throat, which Superman would never do in a million years, and I loved it.
Speaker 1: Maybe not in this universe, he did do it in the Snyder verse.
Speaker 2: I would have liked to see her laser eye his head off. That's what I was really wanting. And again that's where like PG. Thirteen, they can only do that.
Speaker 1: When she slit the throat, no blood came out. Yeah, I don't know how Aliens walks away, but yeah, a blast the head would have been sick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would have been And that's what they're missing. Sticking with the PG thirteen from R I like the act. I wish I could have seen a more grandiose sort of performance with the killing, and I liked also this was a great small conversation. She talks Ruthie out of it, lets Ruthie walk away.
Speaker 1: You don't want to live with this, you don't want this burden on your shoulders and going through this and.
Speaker 2: Burden with other things. She's like, I don't give a fuck. I'll kill whoever the fuck I want. So that that's what makes her really interesting going forward and sets her up in a universe. Now she's back at Earth. You get I guess not a post credit but kind of her at the end of the movie back on Earth with Clark and her being a little bit of a wild card being as powerful as Superman. I love I love having her at play.
Speaker 1: Let's get into Max Sack and Max sac could be anything, It could be a vote. Mac I stumbled upon this on the Old X. This is from Obsession star Indy and Navarate. She was asked for a list of hear me out so they hear me out of like, yeah, sex.
Speaker 2: Them, someone you would do, but someone's gonna hear you. You gotta explain.
Speaker 1: Yourself or like you see them and you're like, let me explain to you why they're pretty attractive?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah.
Speaker 1: Her number one is Optimist.
Speaker 2: Prime totally get it the voice, which.
Speaker 1: She has said in the past that she was obsessed with Optimist Prime through her teenage years.
Speaker 2: Goo. And as we keep going on with these these next two her three hear me outs there's literally nothing better on planet Earth for nerdy, dorky men like you and I to have a hot female get into nerdy and dorky stuff, and I'll tell you what. Indy Navarate is shooting up so many people's lists.
Speaker 1: She builds her own computers.
Speaker 2: Yes, she loves Linux operating system.
Speaker 1: Her second one was Shrek. He's super tall and protective.
Speaker 2: I'd like to see where the cutoff is for super tall. Maybe she'd be interested in an ogre like myself.
Speaker 1: And then finally, this is the best one, Mufassa. Mufasa was powerful, big voice. I think she's a voice thing a powerful.
Speaker 2: Laice, Bacey voices who are protective. All three of them have it.
Speaker 1: I'm going to ask you top of your head. Hear me out, Mac, what do you think? And she actually she brings up two that I'm gonna throw at you right now. Ogre Fiona, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Thick, thicker than a bowl oatmeal.
Speaker 1: Sure, all right, hear me out, Fiona. And then this one for both of us because she's got them eyes. Nala.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's not it. Oh my god, I don't think you explained, Nala.
Speaker 1: No, no one needs an explanation for Nala in the Lion King, the way that when Simba pins her down and she looks up, what in the world is happening.
Speaker 2: If you don't understand first, But anyone listening to this podcast is going to understand that. Yeah, if I have that conversation with someone and they don't hear me out and they don't get it you're not my friend.
Speaker 1: Or even like you don't need me to explain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like you you get it right, You've.
Speaker 1: Seen the Lion King, right. I don't think we can count a Jessica rabbit jas too obvious cartoon, April O'Neil too obvious. It would have to be some kind of like an a too obvious Lola Banni. People are really into Judy Hobps.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I think as a society we have an issue. By the way, I think the.
Speaker 2: Issue now that we're stumbling upon it is all of the male artists are drawing the female characters extremely sexually.
Speaker 1: I think the issue we have is that, like she has this small list and she's kind of explaining herself for guys. As soon as you say a character, I'm like, yeah, I get oh, yeah, there's no explanation to any of it. It's like, okay, all that one foot rabbit that's also a cop, I get it. Is that what we're getting in too is it's just.
Speaker 2: Technology is simply too good to not be all right.
Speaker 1: I guess this is our last episode. We're going to jail Mac. Where can the folks find us.
Speaker 2: You can find us on Twitter and Instagram, at Mac and gooo podcast that is mac ship up. I'm getting it all backwards here Goo every other platform. We are mac ampersand good. It's max shift seven, Goo ik goes, Facebook, Stitcher, tuning, cashbarks, we could Google play Alrightard Radio. We're on Spotify. More importantly, we're on Apple podcasts. Get on that rate review subscribe five stars good. We are sponsored by the folks over at Watertown Sportswear.
Speaker 1: I don't know if i'd call it sponsor. On our last segment they heard and they said, hey, make sure you say sponsored by after you talk about wanting to fuck the lion. Tell everybody that where this is what we are pushing forward.
Speaker 2: Sound Sportswear thirty four Abred Street in Watertown. Watertown, just google Knola Eyes expert screenprinting and embroidery.
Speaker 1: My wife checks my my Google starts like, what's weird? At least you'ren't looking up girls. Yeah yeah, yeah, sepublic dot com check us out. Next week we're gonna have a news dump and you're gonna see toy Story five.
Speaker 2: Hear me out bo Peep from toy Story.
Speaker 1: And I once again. Don't need that. We saw her when she took off her big bloomin' dress and she had that figure. But then you go down the road of all of these Pixar moms.
Speaker 2: Man, Oh God, don't get me.
Speaker 1: Oh you know, hear me out Shakira, the Shakira gazelle from Zotopia. Oh what the hell? Are you sure you just don't want to hear it? Do you just want to say Shakira, No, the gazelle, the gazelle, specifically the gazelle remember that part of the Super Bowl? All right, whatever, We'll see you next week. Tuesdays for Guesdays. I abuse Kangaroos, Tambarton.
Speaker 2: Bye.
Speaker 1: Please flip the cassette over to side B to continue the adventure. Now it's time for girls jumping on worms.