Speaker 1: It's Mojo. In the morning show, Shannon wants to talk about something that I wonder if you're in this phase too, And if you are or you have been, then let's have a little discussion here. What's going on. I miss my friends. I miss my friends so much.
Speaker 2: I feel like I'm used to seeing them way more often than I have lately, and I am feeling it. And I say that because my friends fill me up. Spending time with my best girlfriends is so cathartic for me. It's so needed, just for my mental health and my heart and for my happiness. And nothing is wrong, like there's no drama or anything like that. And actually, I know a lot of my friends are probably listening right now, running their kids to school and stuff, and I could probably guarantee their feeling the same way. We just haven't all had a discussion about this. But it's such a busy time of year for everybody, especially women, especially my friends. We all have kids, and we call this Maysumber. It's like a holiday, but it's the end of the school year, and so there's so many things happening with kids, sports and tournaments and end of the school year stuff and just events and so there's that we are all scattered, Our kids are all scattered across different schools now, where all of our kids used to go to the same school. That's kind of how we formed, Like this particular group that I'm talking about of close mom friends, and all of our kids play on like different sports teams, where again when they were little, everybody played on the same team, you know, for the same school. And so I was saying this yesterday, I'm like, I feel like I basically communicate with my friends as of late through sending Instagram reels, and we have a group chat too, and we're constantly texting in the group chat, but actually spending face to face quality time is I'm like, craving that.
Speaker 1: So bad right now.
Speaker 2: And I just feel like we're in this phase of friendship where and I hate saying life is so busy, Yeah, but we're.
Speaker 1: All so you know, in your life, you go through so many different types of friendships. Yeah, and when you when Lucy switched schools, which is she was the one that switched schools right this past year, it does change life because we.
Speaker 2: Did the same thing part of it too, Yeah, Loose switched, Loose switched. Outside of the district that a lot of my mom friends still have kids in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we we did the same thing with the kids were in public school and then they ended up going to Catholic school. Yeah, and it's weird because then all of a sudden, you don't see as much, uh you know, the kids aren't hanging out as much, which is kind of wild. It's so this is what did you call again?
Speaker 3: May?
Speaker 1: What May sumber? Maysmber? So that's wild because yeah, because the end of the school year or end of uh you know, the holidays is kind of crazy. You talk about reels, sending reels, I think a friendship sometimes can happen through reels. I know it sounds weird to say this, but you've got to be willing to not just love or like the reels that come through. You have to make some common.
Speaker 4: To every now and again. Yeah, because I find that with my friends too. I like my friends Lindsay and Ashley. We probably send the three of us are on like a group. We probably send a dozen reels a days to each other.
Speaker 2: But I'm like, I want to hang out with them and have a glass of wine on the patio. But I just know that that's not that's hard to maneuver right now, So I'll take what I can get.
Speaker 1: Can you be as fulfilled if you just guys get on the phone and talk to each other or do you guys not do that? Like even just a quick check in.
Speaker 2: But it's not the same as spending time with your friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was literally just talking to Anne about this.
Speaker 5: It's a guy, his name is Demetrius, and the same thing is with my friends. Like the love is still there, oh yeah, but the face to face contact and connection isn't as regular. And one of the things that I saw was God Demetri's post on his Instagram was he does a thing called fellas Friday where every Friday or the majority of the Fridays when they can do it, they go bowling or something like that. And the problem I feel like with my friend group, and I'll just say myself within the friend group, because I've gotta look at myself. I'm not as intentional with setting up a time to get with my friends. Yeah, like we could easily do something, and it's just like once every three months, like we went to the Drake party, but before then I really couldn't tay the last time we all hung out.
Speaker 1: So it was like last summer, yeah, like that.
Speaker 2: But last week, my my girlfriend Jess owns an incredible business called Meta and Moxie, and my other girlfriend Carrie is starting back up the Birthday Party Project here in Detroit, which if you don't know about that, please please google.
Speaker 1: It's an amazing organization.
Speaker 2: So my friend Jess hosted an event for the Birthday Party Project at her business, and so I got to see some of my friends. I went home, it was like I was on cloud nine. West was like, you are such a different person after you spend time with your friends, and I'm like, I feel like I took it for granted so much when all of our kids were in like me, first, second, third grade and we saw each other every couple of days.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, some guys I know are just on softball teams just for the sake of just making sure once a year or twice a year minute that they do fallball. They just get around their guys. So maybe you need to do something like that with the ladies. Maybe. I don't know. I love my friends, I don't love Samantha horrible. You know me, what's going on, Samantha.
Speaker 6: That's why I make a comment. I've lost a lot of friendships over the last few years. I would say, people grow apart and it just sucks. Like I've known people for like fifteen years, they just don't talk to me no more.
Speaker 1: What happened? What did did you do something, Samantha that we should know about?
Speaker 6: No, no, no, no, just people grow apart, like gets too busy and people put what you know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, wow, it sucks. That sucks. Well, you know what. I think that in life, you never are too late to make a friend. Sometimes sometimes the coolest is to meet a new friend later in life, you know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I have two friends that I'll talk to, like on a weekly basis.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So it's just a lot of people that I just could talking to just don't reach out, and I'm just not going to be the first to reach out anymore. But yeah, life just happens and it sucks.
Speaker 1: Shannon wants to know if you want to hang out with your friends, start my softball? What's out of Courtney?
Speaker 3: Hi?
Speaker 7: Hi?
Speaker 1: How are you good? What's going on?
Speaker 7: So?
Speaker 3: I have a friend base that I met in high school and some of us have moved to different states and we talk every morning, text each other, every morning, touch base with each other and hey, how's it going. Who has a problem? You know, whatever I had. They have kids I've never met and we but I feel like I know their children based off of the conversation from their parents. We get together maybe once a year, and when that happens, it is like soul changed.
Speaker 1: It is I like the idea that every morning you guys check in with each other. Is it always just text?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Always?
Speaker 1: Just that's kind of neat. Yeah. I kind of have that with a couple of friends too, where it's a good morning text and they're better at it than I am. But I got to make sure that I'm responsive and also lead the way on some of those. But it's it is nice just to be able to say, hey, man, have a great day. You're good at this key have you always like to send like a quick little note? I never did them. I'll see you in real life, he likes, especially when you're eating next day. What's going on canvas?
Speaker 5: Hi?
Speaker 1: Hi?
Speaker 9: My comment is that when you become an empty nester, all of a sudden, you lose all of your friends.
Speaker 8: Because I have this.
Speaker 9: Core group of friends and since little League, we're all together. We're hanging out. We get together want some month, and you know, we see each other at the sporting events every day. But then when your kids go away to college, then it's like, now we only conversate. They're in text messages and like, you know, like Shannon said, send me reels and I listen my friends, but it's so hard for us, like we're all doing our own things now and it's like, where did all of my friends go?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it is interesting. You know, the whole kid's not going to the same schools. They changes a lot.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And by the way, I'm lapping myself into like you know, I'm just as busy as everybody. Like we're all just so busy. And as much as I hate that frickin' word, I hate the word busy, but that's the reality of a lot of a lot of situations.
Speaker 1: Good good, And I'll say something after good. Hannah, Hey, what's up?
Speaker 10: So I just wanted to comment on I recently, two years ago, moved to the Detroit area from Florida, and I'm in my late twenties and i had a really close group of friends down there, and since I've moved here, I think I've lost and every single one of those friendship because it's just so difficult to travel back and forth and keep in touch. And I'm so busy. There's a busy the all kids.
Speaker 1: But technology is so easy to keep in touch with. Though, why do you guys not try to FaceTime every now and again?
Speaker 10: You know, like they'll be like tech back and forth. But some people are just like it's too hard, you know, to.
Speaker 11: Just try to you know, what you got to do friendship, use the advantage of Michigan summers compared to Florida summers, and then you enjoy the Florida winters, you know.
Speaker 10: Yeah, And you know travel is just so expensive right now too, So it's hard, but I try to get down there as I can. But also, like making friendships, I think as an adult is a lot harder from when you were younger, and especially moving to a new town where you know nobody, it can be even more difficult.
Speaker 1: So we're opening our arms to you, Hannah. We want to welcome you here, but.
Speaker 2: We are not starting a softball team. Want to make that very very clear.
Speaker 1: Everything's on the table.
Speaker 10: I'm just getting involved in a community theater and attempts to try to make friends.
Speaker 1: That's cool. That sounds good. What was your comment?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 5: I was going to say, I haven't thought this out, but we know, and you know, biblically talk about it too. Everything has a season, right, But I feel like we don't always attach that to friendships. Like there is a season when you have your core group and y'all outside and you're a partying or you're having conversations all the time, and then there may be a season where it's not like that. But I feel like that mindset isn't always attached to that type of situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I always tell Loose you have friends for a season, a reason, or forever. And I think why I'm feeling this so hard right now is like I consider these these are my forever friends, so I want to spend so much time with them.
Speaker 1: You know, is there any word that you could have for the third one, the forever so it's season reason and whatever else rhymes with them? What what would be something for forever, season reason or forever, Shannon, I got two callers that have ideas for you on how to maintain your friendships, actually three callers. Amanda you there, Hi, Amanda, Hi.
Speaker 7: So my friends and I have been friends since high school. But growing up, you know, we get apart and lose track of time. But we make it once a month. We call it supper club, where once a month we go to one of our houses and we get together and whoever's house is, we make dinner and it just kind of like holds us.
Speaker 1: Shannon's out, she's not a good cook.
Speaker 7: Well, we ordered pizza.
Speaker 1: Pizza, that sounds finn No, that's that's a good idea. I like that supper supper club. That's kind of cool. This one's a good one too.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 1: Could you see Shannon part of a book club?
Speaker 8: Amy?
Speaker 1: Are you there? Amy? Amy? You guys do book club and dinner? Is that right? Yeah?
Speaker 8: Well, I have their different things. I have a group of women that we all met through the PTO when our kids were little, and we're empty nesters now and we have a monthly book club or a monthly dinner on the fifteenth of the month, and some of us also do a book club. What did you guys have.
Speaker 1: Five days ago? Did you guys have a good meal five days ago?
Speaker 8: Actually I couldn't go because I was hosting a family dinner for the first time in six months with my parents. But we go out to eat. We don't we go out to eat, so any berries on. If someone has a birthday that month, they pick where we're going.
Speaker 1: What's the last good book you guys enjoyed in your club?
Speaker 8: I will let's see. This month we're reading the book Club for Troublesome Women, and last month I should be able to tell you, but I'm already a month ahead.
Speaker 1: So oh geez, oh my god, get a the Zame book in there. And then finally, uh, miss Melissa Shannon, can I do softball league? But what should she do?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So, once upon a time it was bingo, then it was bunko.
Speaker 1: Now it's majo, and everybody I know's yeah, yeah, jong, that's what Charles wants. Yeah, amajon thing. We should do a mojo in the morning. All right. I just don't have friends. I just what I do is I insult them all and and then I lose them