Speaker 1: For the back to back World champions of baseball.
Speaker 2: One of the greatest runs in the history of baseball.
Speaker 1: Immortality is within their reach.
Speaker 3: Incredible and while others make excuses.
Speaker 2: The only reason the Dodgers are doing this because they can't they printing money.
Speaker 1: The Dodgers, it's not fair. Are making plans.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a singular focus on controlling what they can control.
Speaker 5: Now your pregame host of the World Champion La Dodgers, tam Cats, Hi, everybody.
Speaker 3: And welcome Tomo Wrongo Casino Dodgers on deck on this sweltering hot Saturday here in southern California. Hope you're staying staying cool wherever you're at, Sit back and enjoy some Dodgers Baseball is coming up here as the Dodgers, or World Series champion two times in a row, are in New York to continue this East Coast road trip. Dodgers sixty six and thirty eight first place atop the NL West. They set eleven games up in the division over the Arizona Diamondback after taking the series opener in Queen's Last Night, the Dodgers looked to do it again and making four to a row on this road trip as they take on the Mets Yoshinobu Yamamoto on the mound, first pitcher and city field. This is coming up at four fifteen. Between then and now, we got a lot to get to. So buckle up here on Wrongo Casino Dodgers on deck. You're gonna hear from the Dodger manager Dave Roberts. That's coming up in forty five minutes as David vasegoes high and tight with the Dodger skipper. We'll preview this pitching matchup DV. Of course, we'll check in throughout the hour. We got your Dodgers magical moment. We'll hear from Kyle Tucker. In just a few minutes, we'll head out to the Galloping four broadcast booth was jose A Mota and Steven Nelson. Well last night, Susaki shine none of the bright lights of New York. Roki Susaki looking to build off his last start against the Yankees up in the Bronx exactly that last night. Solid seven innings in Queens. He allowed his one run on three hits while striking out nine along the way. Sasaki's only mistake was his solo home run He gave up in the second that gave the Mets a one nothing lead, but after that Susaki would put up zeros and case.
Speaker 2: Evan Phillips getting loose in the Dodger pin a one two pitch struck him out. That's nine cas in four to row four Sasaki.
Speaker 3: Rookie Susaki putting up strikeouts. In the fourth, Dodgers down one to nothing when Freddy Freeman and Mookie Betts had back to back singles to lead off the Indian with Freeman on third, Miguel Rojas a sack fly that scored him and then that tied the game at one. Fast forward to this seventh Dodgers again using a little small ball to take the lead. Back to back singles, sack bunt then show Hey o'tiny as sack fly to center that gave the Dodgers a two to one lead. In the eighth, Freddie Freeman a lead off single. He would steal second, just as fifth stolen base of the year, as the Dodgers had a runner in scoring position looking to add on to their lead. However, Mookie Betts popped out, Miguel Rojas popped out, so two down, bringing up Kyle Tucker.
Speaker 2: Tucker standing tall ahead of the one. One here it is. Tucker hits it hard, in't here to deep right field, going back bench, he will turn It's gone. Oh how much did Kyle Tucker need a swing like that? His eighth home run of the year, a two run shot to give the Dodgers some breathing room in the Ague.
Speaker 3: Two run home run for Kyle Tucker, just over the wall in right his eighth of this season and his first home run since June twenty seventh.
Speaker 6: How about that.
Speaker 3: Rookie Sasaki went the seven innings. Evan Phillips got the eighth he Gama solo home run, but limited the damage.
Speaker 6: Tanner Scott got the ninth on a one two three inning.
Speaker 3: Dodgers go on and beat the Mets last night by final four to two. Rookie Sasaki against the win his first in May twenty third Tenner Scott his sixteenth save of the seasons. The Dodgers just keep on winning. They have now won three in a row. They're five and two on this East Coast road trip. They're now sixty six and thirty eight overall in the season, best record in baseball, first place atop the NIAS and they look to do it again tonight with Yoshinobu Yamamoto on the mount first pitcher. City field is coming up at four point fifteen, and with more we head out to the Galloping four broadcast booth as.
Speaker 6: We welcome in Steven Nelson and Jose Mode.
Speaker 2: Guys, here we go, Tim. It was a gorgeous July afternoon here in New York City. The Dodgers getting close to the end of this nine game road trip hoose Mota, and they've already clinched a winning road trip, having won five of the first seven. Now they want to clinch a third consecutive series. They can get that done with a win today.
Speaker 7: Nobody's been better in baseball and winning series than the Dodgers. And you consider the Dodgers playing till there's one level only, Stephen, and overall, if you look consider the many ways in which they have won, there's this slugging part of it. There's been a pitching side of it, whether the bullpen were the starting pitchers. But now thing's a combination of the minimum of everything making it work. You have talent, you want enough, you executed at the right time, and that's exactly what's happening throughout this trip.
Speaker 2: Last night, they just continued to give themselves opportunit unities throughout the game. Seven of nine innings started with a leadoff hit. It's the first time they've done that in more than a decade, having seven plus leadoff hits in a game. Now, they were not good with runners in scoring position to Dodger's just one for thirteen. That one hit was Kyle Tucker's ultimately game winning home run, But the fact that they gave themselves chances and then speak on Tucker, that big swing won. That was big for the game, but also big for him personally.
Speaker 7: And I think if you talk about building in talk about that swing for Kyle Tucker, it's pretty much building the mind so that I'm good enough right now to go out there and get something good to hit and put my best swing. His swing has gotten a little bit shorter sometimes at times we'll see a little bit longer. But you know, you and all we're talking about this take the positive mindset. Just a bloop hit, a ball off the end of the bat, a walk sometimes just along that bat is enough to get your mind right. So when you see that one pitch, you know, not thinking about anything else but to put a good swing through it and he got it done.
Speaker 2: Ose O, I'm going to dive into something with you.
Speaker 1: Is the dot.
Speaker 2: In this regular season, they have this big division lead, and obviously the Diamondbacks are are pesky, They're not going anywhere. But it's really the regular season for this organization has become just a testing and proving ground for the postseason. That's not said with any arrogance, because again, this is baseball and anything can happen in the postseason. But that's what this one hundred and sixty two game marathon is for. But the fact that these Dodgers have been so good, especially lately and on this road trip, with comeback wins, close games, beating quality pitchers, those are the types of tests that they are trying to pass in these summer months to get ready for the fall.
Speaker 7: There's an evaluation happening from the beginning of spring training until the first week, and they consider, how do I find all this talent to put together and how do all this talent come together to understand how to win games? Steven, they know how to win ball games. They put themselves in good positions to do that, and they never look back as to how the game started, just ask how we're going to end it in a positive way.
Speaker 8: Counting on the big guns.
Speaker 7: Now, we know that the lineup at Toms scuffle from the top, middle or the bottom up. The one consistent piece for the Dodgers has been when the bottom hits and gets on bass, very good things happen.
Speaker 8: We've seen him throughout this trip.
Speaker 7: But if you talk about the big picture, they always keep their mind on one thing, who's on the roster, not who's now, who's coming back, and thus you maximized with great leaders, the best out of the young players.
Speaker 2: It's a great pitching matchup tonight. Tim Yoshinobu Yamamoto for the Dodgers, Nolan McLain, the talented right handed rookie for the Mets. We'll dive into that matchup and get to keep from Jose in just a little bit.
Speaker 6: All right, Thank you, Nelly.
Speaker 3: You're off and running here on Wrongo Casino, Dodgers on deck as we count you down to first pitch. Dodger fans hit that game day meal on late launch, early dinner. How about Shaky's Pizza parlor. What are your Shaky's pizza chacking and Mojo's right now and shakys dot Com coming up, David Vessegos one on one with the Dodger manager Dave Roberts. We'll get the latest on the injury front, including the latest on Blake Snell.
Speaker 6: I got her don the magical moment. We'll dive keep from this pitching.
Speaker 3: Matchup, but up next to you Otani rewind and we'll hear from Kyle Tucker. It's all coming up as we lead you up to Dodgers and Mets on this Saturday from City Field in Queens, New York.
Speaker 6: I'm Tim Kapson. This is the back to back World Series champion Dodgers. Oh do you know what.
Speaker 1: This is?
Speaker 5: Morongo Cassino Dodgers Hunters on your home for LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 3: Leading up to Dodgers and Mets on this Saturday afternoon. Help your staying cool out there on this hot Saturday afternoon. You should know who Yamamoto and Nolan McClain. The pitching matchup. First pitch from New York coming up at four fifteen.
Speaker 1: This is the Otani REWI.
Speaker 2: I'm not wasting any time. A one two O Tani rip's a base hit through the right side, a two strike leadoff single for show Hey another one two pitch Otani. You just flips the bat out there, pulls it down the right field line toward the corner. Old Tani makes a turn for so now he's thinking three throw back in cut up by Lindor. The throw to third and he is out. Dodgers won Mets one second and third one out. In the seventh on a one to one, Old Tani unloads to center field, but it's way in front of the warning track. I got got there. That's plenty deep to score. The runner toa Oscar Hernandez tags and scores from third, rushing tags from second to get to third. It's a sacrifice fly for Old Tony and the Dodgers take the lead two to one.
Speaker 3: Show Hey Otani with the sack fly and the seventh inning and that gave the Dodgers a two to one lead. A two for four tonight, including that sack fly. He had a double trying to stretch it into a triple got thrown out. But overall, show Hey Otani a big night last night, now hitting two eighty six on this season. More on show hel Tani the pitcher coming up with David vasse In just a little bit. Last night, Kyle Tucker hit a home run for the first time in almost a month. Yes, Kyle Tucker goes deep for his eighth home run of the season, a two run shot in the eighth Indian and afterwards or the Dodgers went it four to two and he caught up quick your.
Speaker 9: Somat Kyle, First, just going into this game, you have a matchup against Sean and Iah, you have a lot of familiarity and a lot of success against him. Just knowing that matchup, how much of a confidence booster was it as you're looking to get going coming.
Speaker 1: Into this game.
Speaker 10: I mean I feel confident every game, and every time I go up there, so's everyone else. I Mean I haven't faced probably since kind of a few years ago, so I know he's changed a little bit with this setup and the way thursdays up. But so at first, I just want to see a couple of pitches and see how it goes, and then you're trying to go up there and compete.
Speaker 9: Ultimately, ultimately, you saw a bunch of lefties. So if it wasn't him, of course he saw a did mentor you that's your run homers, just what we were.
Speaker 10: Looking for specifically in that at that just get something over the plate. It's a good, good cutter, So I didn't want to chase anything awesome, just trying to get something closer to me and at our pitch or the middle of part of the play.
Speaker 6: It's just put a good swing on it.
Speaker 9: You look at how things all came together for each night, is there something that you kind of maybe point to that led to.
Speaker 6: The results you had?
Speaker 10: Just keep grinding every single day, just try and do your best out there to be and just try and keep on lying moving and just play.
Speaker 6: For one another.
Speaker 10: So I mean, if we keep doing that like we've been doing, we'll be in a good spot.
Speaker 9: Not only was it just the offense tonight, but you also have Roki Sasaki. He was excellent through seven. How would you describe just what you were seeing from him on the mount of his composure?
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's been great.
Speaker 10: Like you said, I mean, he comes out and goes this is best every single time, whether he's got a battle through some aniversary or not, he goes out there and gives is all. So there's just another good outing from him.
Speaker 6: Kyle, Congratulations on this one.
Speaker 8: Tonight.
Speaker 6: Yeah, thank you, appreciate it all right. There's Kyle Tucker hit to run home run.
Speaker 3: Kyle Tecker dropped out of the seventh spot in the line of for Dave Roberts goes two for three with the home run, a couple of RBIs on base three times, including the walk, as he brings his average up now to two forty on the season. Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by Cars for Kids. The easiest way to get rid of that old car. Donate today, that car can be picked up tomorrow. That easy donate now Cars for Kids dot Org. It's Cars with the k O the time here on Dodgers on Deck, we'll preview this pitchy Matt Shobb'll check in with David Vasse. Of course gets you the very latest because there's an update on show how tany the pitcher. We'll get on that coming up in just a little bit. Also check out with the Dodger manager, Dave Roberts as we lead jumped to first pitch. Dodgers and Mets from Queens, New York. I'm Tim Kass, the Batch Toback World Series Champion Dodgers.
Speaker 11: On your nowhere.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck on your home for the Blue all season long.
Speaker 3: Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck continues on this Saturday afternoon. It's the Dodgers and the Mets, Game two of this three game weekend set Marongo Casino Resort and Spa A Grand Slam for a good times. Yoshinobu Yamamoto and Nolan MacLean. The pitching matchup we're gonna hear from the manager, Dave Roberts coming up in just a little bit. We go high and tight with David Vass. First pitch set for four fifteen.
Speaker 5: This it's the LA Time injury.
Speaker 3: Report presented by UCLA Healthy official medical partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Blake tried it on the IL with the right elbow inflammation, Keith A Hernandez on the IL with the left oblique injury. He is scheduled to come off the injury list on the next homestand as is Edwin Diaz, Dodger reliever and closer who probably could have been ready this weekend in New York against the Mets, but with the Dodgers on the East Coast road trip, no need for him to fly all the way out there for three games and then fly all the way back. They have a homestand coming up and getting it on Tuesday, and all signs point to Edwin Diaz being activated off the ange list. He has completed a couple of minor league rehab assignments, including pitching him back to back games. Tyler Glasstow on the il with lower back spasms. He is beginning to throw off the mound.
Speaker 6: That is good news.
Speaker 3: Will Smith the next inflammation still bothering him. No update as far as the Dodger catcher. Good news as far as Blake Snell is concerned. He made his second minor league rehab stent last night for TRIPAA Oklahoma City. He pitched two and two third innings. He struck out three, He allowed two singles a run scored. After he departed, Blake Snell threw forty nine pitches with no walks and again two and a third innings, one run, two hits, three strikeouts, no walks, and he was sitting at mid to upper nineties on his fastball, so that is certainly a good sign well. Last night a good sign for the Dodgers, who won their third in a row on this road trip now five and two overall, with a series winning New York, a series win in Philadelphia, and taking the series opener against the New York Mets last night four to two Freddie Freeman. Three more hits for Freddy, including a double, and afterwards caught up with David S.
Speaker 4: Freddie, this team has been in three different cities the last forty eight hours. How did you guys have enough in the tank to come out and win a baseball game.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's been a long couple of weeks on the East Coast, but we've been playing good baseball. We know we want to end the road trip on a good note. We got a good team and Rookie was unbelievable again, so we'll pull it out tonight. So it gets rested, Knight and come out again.
Speaker 4: Farm When he works quickly and gets out and throws strikes, how much does that just help everything?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 10: I mean even the gate pace of foot play is like that. It was and I'm both sean bitch good too. So he had his basketball working on top of his zone, twitter off of it, sliders early in accounts, getting strikes. Yeah, you just had everything.
Speaker 4: Going again, Freddie, You're one double away from being in the top twenty five of all major league players with the most doubles in your career, you'll join Bobby I, Bray, you, and Charlie Garraner. The next double you HiT's how has that happened?
Speaker 8: How is that transpired?
Speaker 10: Yeah? Yeah, it's hard to you know, sometimes comprehend when you're doing something. You don't really focus on those things when.
Speaker 8: You're going about it.
Speaker 10: But yeah, just been lucky enough to stay healthy for a long time, play this game a long time, be consistently good long enough, and obviously have the trust and my managers to put me out there every single day. So yeah, it's pretty cool.
Speaker 8: But yeah, we'll see what you're doing tomorrow. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Hey, it's fitting in New York too, Freddy. I know about your history here.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I do like New York. I like I like playing here. I've had a lot of history here I have. I've been playing here before. There's a party deck, so I've been around a long time.
Speaker 8: Thanks a lot for stopping Freddy.
Speaker 4: Congratulations on just doing Freddy things every night.
Speaker 1: Thank you, David.
Speaker 8: I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: All Right, there's Freddy Freeman post game with David vass A last night after a three hit performance again for the Dodger first basement as part of a Dodger for to to win. When we continue here, all moroco, because you know, Dodgers on deck, we're leaning up to first pitch. We will check in with David Vast say get the very latest. There's an update on show. Heil O Tani the pitcher. It's the very latest. What are we going to see him again on the mound? Dank's gonna let us know when we come back. Dodgers and Mets First pitch from City Field at four fifteen. I'm Tim Kats's the back to back World Series champion Dodgers Paul, You'll.
Speaker 11: Know where.
Speaker 5: As we were saying, yes, he's my wrong Casino Dodgers on deck on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 3: Dodgers and Mets, Game two of this three game weekend, sent from Queens Yoshio Yamamoto, Nolan McLean the pitching matchoup first pitch coming up at four fifteen. Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by al Pato, born in La Made for your game day, al Pato brings authentic Mexican style tomato sauces sauces and hot sauces right to your table every single time.
Speaker 6: El Pato Gourmet and a.
Speaker 1: Can joining Tim Kats on Dodgers on Deck.
Speaker 8: I accept everybody for who they are.
Speaker 1: This is Dodger insider David Bassi.
Speaker 6: All right, DV.
Speaker 3: We get to see Showy Otani the hitter, still every single day at the top of the lineup as a designated hitter.
Speaker 6: What about show Hal Tani the pitcher.
Speaker 8: What's going on? Well?
Speaker 4: I found out that today show Hal Tani was not necessarily penned in schedule to throw a bullpen session. As Mark Pryor has told us multiple times, it's a read and react situation with Otani. So when he went out and through that bullpen session on Wednesday, thirty four pitches, that was something that he had scheduled with the trainers, and the left knee was a little sore after throwing that bullpen session, and yesterday is when Otani decided that, you know what, the left knee doesn't feel good enough to try to throw the bullpen session that was tentatively scheduled for today. So he threw some playballs against the wall and basically, as Dave Roberts said, earlier today, quote kick the can down the road as far as the next time he throws a bullpen session. But I will say this, and I asked this directly to Dave Roberts during his media session, does he still believe that Otani will pitch again this season? And without hesitating, he said, yes, He's confident Otani will pitch again this season.
Speaker 6: Let's hope.
Speaker 3: So, David is brought to you by your Ford Summer Sales event. Don't wagh hurrying right now for the best offers of the year, Ford Official Vehicle of Major League Baseball. Yoshinobu Yamamoto on the mound last time out of complete game four hitter at Yankee Stadium.
Speaker 6: What's he gonna do for tonight, David.
Speaker 4: Well, the one thing about tonight, it's a great pitching matchup that we don't usually get. But Yamamoto's on the mound, a guy that is in the running for the Cy Young Award, and Nolan McClain, who was heralded coming out of spring training in the World Baseball Classic as a guy that was going to rival guys like Skiens and Yamamoto and Mislarowski. Obviously, he's not on a good team. So tonight, let's see what Nolan McClain has. But talking to people around Yamamoto, they told me the way that he's been able to really take his game to the next level is preparation and really going to the homework to dissect hitters and have the confidence and conviction to throw pitches to certain hitters. Maybe in his first year he relied on the catcher to do all that, but my understanding is Yamamoto has been Robleski level detailed in his preparation and that's why he has so much conviction and no more you know, fifty to fifty on what he may throw. He is in control of the game, and he has a very detailed start day. I was able to get his schedule for today. For instance, at two thirty he got treatment. At four point fifteen he went to the pitchers meeting. Right about now he's getting ready to come out and.
Speaker 8: Throw in the outfield.
Speaker 4: And you know, it's just I'm not going to say it's Kershaw like, but he really It's not a coincidence, Tim, that he is so talented and he has taken his game another level. It goes all the way back to what all the greats say, it's preparation and attention to detail, and that is where Yama motos right now in his career.
Speaker 3: Can I want to see him out there tonight in this great pitching matchups. But speaking of scene, what are we gonna see Blake Snell back with the Dodgers?
Speaker 4: David, Oh, Well, Dave Roberts left the door open for that tim He's going to make one more rehab start and they're hoping that Snell goes four innings.
Speaker 8: In that rehab start.
Speaker 4: Dave Roberts was posed the question whether or not there's going to be two more rehab starts for Snell, and he left the door open and saying, let's see how it looks after he.
Speaker 8: Goes four innings. I can tell you this.
Speaker 4: Blake Snell texted me said he felt great last night pitching in Sacramento. The fastball was ninety seven, the curveball was there. But he hasn't pitched all season long, so he's knocking off the rust.
Speaker 8: And is very anxious to come back.
Speaker 4: And who knows, maybe one more rehab start and snell Zilla is back in the rotation.
Speaker 6: We shall see great stuff, Dave. I'll check back in with you.
Speaker 3: In just a couple of minutes still to come here on Morongo, because you know, Dodgers on deck, we're gonna hear from the manager, Dave Roberts, going high and ted with him coming up, and about fifteen minutes we'll take deeper to this pitching matchup, but up next to Dodgers Magical Moment on this Saturday afternoon, Dodgers and Mets from Queens, New York. I'm Tim Kateson's the back to back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 5: This is Morongo Casino Dodgers Hunting Game on your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 3: Dodgers winners of three in a row on this road trip five and two overall on this East Coast swing after the All Star break there in New York to take on the Mets. Yoshinovu Yamamodo, Nolan McClain. The pitching matchup. First pitch coming up at four fifteen.
Speaker 12: Hot Dog, who wants the hot It's time for the Hawfy Magical Moment. Pitch Magical presented by Hawey Hot Dogs.
Speaker 6: Well, the Dodgers take it on the Mets.
Speaker 3: We go back to June twentieth, twenty seventeen, Dodger Stadium was the site Dodgers and Mets. The Dodgers of the team hit five home runs. Young Corey Seeger hit not one, not two, but three of them.
Speaker 12: You know, one fly Paul left field Cessmen is going back way.
Speaker 6: Back at the wall.
Speaker 11: Seeger has just hit.
Speaker 4: His third of the night, a three run shot for the Dodgers.
Speaker 8: It's a perfect ten to nothing.
Speaker 3: Corey Seeger, for the second time in his young career. At that time, back in twenty seventeen, had a three home run nights. Yes, as the Dodgers hit five total on their way to a twelve nothing beat down at home of the New York Mets. This hockey matchical moment brought to by Hofey hot Dogs Hofey soakhows local treasure for nearly one hundred years. Hoffey hot Dogs Local and so great. When we continue here on Morongo Casino Dodgers on check back in with Jose Mota so he lead up to first pitch Dodgers and Mets from Queens. I'm Tim Kas's the back to back World Series Champion Dodgers Audio A Networks.
Speaker 5: Morongo Casino Dodgers on Dead on your Home for the Blue All Season.
Speaker 3: Low Dodgers and Mets Game two. There's three games set. Great pitching matchup coming up. We'll dive deeper into the numbers. Yoshinobu Yamamoto, Nolan McClain squaring off. Time now for the Verizon startup is we're about thirty eight minutes away from the start of the game.
Speaker 6: Not Verizon.
Speaker 3: You can lock in that low price for three years so you can save big. Visit your so Calverizon store Today. We head back out to the booth. Jose Motive, David Vesse, guys Hose.
Speaker 4: I know you and Steven have talked about this already, but man, what a night here in New York to have Yamamoto going up against Nolan McClain.
Speaker 8: I think it's great.
Speaker 7: We consider their matching up again for the second time this season. The first one was one that did not disappoint. Again, I expect a lower scoring game. Catch a baseball, maximize opportunities on the offensive side, and with this guy, throw like seven different pitches.
Speaker 8: Don't look for seven of them.
Speaker 7: Don't even sit on like tendencies or counts, don't read velocity, sit in one area and if it's a ball, let it go. If it's not obviously, put your best swing on it.
Speaker 4: You know what stood out to me They have a big video board here at City Field, and the stats really pop, right, your stats, good or bad, really pop. And it was shocking to see two ninety five next to Mookie Bets on base percentage.
Speaker 8: I don't think we.
Speaker 4: Fully grasp how much he has struggled this season because he's not even taking walks.
Speaker 7: And that was what a big part of this game coming up, since a youngster right combined with a power, the ability to get on base, the ability to have a high batting average. And I related to one thing, which is sometimes Muki is looking for base hits and we look for base hits. It's a problem. We look for just something good to hit. And you work in counts and you trust yourself, then you're a guy that's gonna find something better to hit and put your best swing. When you see Mooki Bets not walking, and it doesn't seem like he's chasing a lot, right, It's just he's making a lot of early on balls that are not even hit hard.
Speaker 8: But when Mooki goes deeper.
Speaker 7: Into the counts, as we saw member last postseason, I mean, against very tough relievers. He was clearly getting a couple of key walks Duran Durand for example, you know, against the Phillies, that's when he's at his best. But I think right now, Dave, he fights himself a lot and who he is today as a player, who he was, and who he wants to become. So this islam more like, hey, whatever it was in the past, let it go, but whoever you are today, trust that there's something more because of your intellect and baseball your abilities still that many hitters would like to have. But don't make so many early outs because how many tenses are that somebody throws four strikes in a row?
Speaker 8: Very little in the big leagues.
Speaker 7: If you look at the quadrant in the strike zone itself, it's like two percent for anybody, right, the other outs are made by you chasing, so for Mooki and you also don't want to get into a situation where you're chasing walks.
Speaker 8: That's also bad. But there's a fine line between knowing that you know.
Speaker 7: The well, give yourself enough credit to know that the watch need to.
Speaker 8: Be part of your game, all right.
Speaker 4: The flip side, his double play partner tonight. Tommy Edmund has been out of this world ever since he came off the IL. Do you feel like he had time to work on something, because you've heard this. When you're injured and you're coming back from an injury or a surgery, you don't have time to focus on baseball. So what Edmund is doing is even more remarkable.
Speaker 8: Very impressive.
Speaker 7: And I've talked to Tommy about this, and one thing that's happening is his landing foot is solid. Now he doesn't have to think about it when you're landing foot because the ankle issues that he has since.
Speaker 8: King from Saint Louis are not there.
Speaker 7: Then the ball's gonna move, your eyes are gonna move, and all those things just start, you know, accumulating for you to think, Okay, now who am I and I need to go out to and find base sits. But for Tommy, the one thing he notices he doesn't overswing. If he's first, second, and third, fourth, it doesn't matter. He's the same guy. But I think the mentality is one where he goes, hey, there are certain guys where I want to jump early and get that fastball to hit other guys. He's going to work to look for a pitch. So how many guys do you know that when they see a guy that throws a split finger says I'm going to turn around about from the right side, Dave, that doesn't happen anymore.
Speaker 8: That's the type of mentality. He has to understand himself who he is.
Speaker 7: And the interesting thing tire very quickly is last time in New York against the Yankees, Fernando Cruz throw predominantly what splitters. But he saw the report on him which nark splitters are not running away from lefties, they're running down hit from the left side, got the long ball, got the double.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Did you notice, by the way that Cruiz had a photo of his family on the glove And when he went to go get checked by the umpires, the umpires said, you can't have that. They took the glove away, and he was a little bit more indecisive with his splitters.
Speaker 8: One of the players told me that they saw that.
Speaker 7: I saw the glove. You had no idea what it was, but I know something legal is down.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, obviously we see them get checked, but it doesn't feel like the umpires are really going to the extreme limits of doing anything like that these days.
Speaker 7: Watching thing, I thought maybe something sticky was on it. So how about Roki's glove? What do you got on that, Jose? The glove is not pitching is the ard. That's all I have to say about that. Okay, but I like it. You know what if guys on the other side are thinking that they're not seeing the ball as well coming out of his hand, or maybe not tipping a grip or two, let it be. If you have a problem, check it, Okay, Ose, what do you think it might be a mental thing? Right, he's confident now that nobody's uh. I think it's just part of the confidence thing.
Speaker 4: But I'm still not ready to make these declarations of statements that some of the LA media wants to make after every single Rokie start good or bad. Now, all of a sudden he's a world beater, But if he doesn't pitch well the next time, they're gonna say, oh, Rokie's shaky now.
Speaker 7: So I'm not doing that. He's still growing. Remember of the glove issue. To Yama multi first outing in spring training as a Dodger, there's an issue beel tipping in the different.
Speaker 8: Glove and the whole thing. So the gloves are was going to be part of it? Moy On, Yeah, Tipping's a big part of the game. Now, everybody look for little h here and there.
Speaker 4: All right, Hey, maybe you'll catch some pitches from here. Maybe Nolan McLean's tipping and you might find.
Speaker 8: It for us. I don't want to get in trouble. Thanks.
Speaker 11: Ose.
Speaker 4: We'll check back in with you and Steven Nelson a little bit later. Tim, we'll send it back to you in that nice air conditioned Burbank studio.
Speaker 6: Sixty eight degrees and feeling good in here, DV. Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Dodgers Baseball presented by Uniclo Field at Dodger Stadium. Visit uniclod dot com slash at us. It is hot outside. Enjoy little Dodgers Baseball is coming up. As we lead up to first pitch here on Morongo Casino, Dodgers on deck. Well, we continue, though old dive deeper to this pitching matchup. Steven and Jose want the keys to the game. But up next you go high and tie with the manager. Dave Roberts get his thoughts on this Dodgers team. Is they're in their final stretch here of this opening road trip of the second half of the season.
Speaker 6: Dodgers and Mets. First pitch of four fifteen.
Speaker 3: I'm Tim Kates, just a back to back World Series champion Dodgers Audio a network.
Speaker 5: As we were saying, this is Marongo Casino, Dodgers on Jack on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 3: It's Dodgers and Mets from Queens City Field, Yoshinoba Yamamoto, Nolan McClain.
Speaker 6: The pitching matchup, It's a good one.
Speaker 3: These two squared off against each other back on April fourteenth, combined for fifteen strikeouts. Neither got the decision into Dodgers win. First pitch coming up at four fifteen Dodgers Baseball brought to by Shaky's Pizza Parlor, the official pizza partner of the Dodgers Audio broadcast. When it's game night, it's group night at shakeys dot com.
Speaker 5: And now what will likely be vassy fielding insults from a Dodger player.
Speaker 6: It's an engagement of endearment.
Speaker 1: This is high and tucked.
Speaker 11: Well.
Speaker 4: The best part of Dave Roberts road trip is right now, presented by Downey Hunday. We're in the manager's office at City Field, Dave Man what a what a great bonding experience it's been with you and me for ten days.
Speaker 11: It's been great, Dave.
Speaker 13: You know, best part of my trip is this, you know, once a week conversation that you and I have and no all kidding aside. It's been a long trip, certainly with the All Star Game, but it's been a very productive trip. And you know, here we are game two here in City Field, so we got Yamamoto going so excited to get this one going.
Speaker 4: Just to put it into context, to fully appreciate what you guys pulled off in the last forty eight to seventy two hours. Three cities within forty eight hours, and you come to City Field against a Mets team that's going to give you their best shot and you pull off a win. How impressed and proud are you of your guys to come out and show up the way they did last night?
Speaker 11: Really really proud.
Speaker 13: Obviously, you know, having to take the trip to DC a lot of guys, so that was our off day, and to come back late at night to then play the way we did last night to get a win, and obviously Rookie was fantastic, But you know, it's one of those things where you know, starting the break and the Yankees are trying to give us, are giving us their best, the Philly same and to win two series there, and then you know, the Mets haven't played up to their capabilities, but they're still going to go out there and give us their best, and we got their best starter going tonight, so we got to work, you know, our hands full tonight. But yeah, for the way we've played, died and it seems like every night there's somebody else that steps up and helps lead us to a victory.
Speaker 11: So that's been fun to watch for you.
Speaker 8: And having Yamamoto on the mound tonight.
Speaker 11: What do you.
Speaker 4: Believe he has done to take his game to the next level after coming off a World Series MVP, a cy Young A finalist, how has he gotten better this year?
Speaker 13: I think if I could say one thing, I would probably say his efficiency. I think that you know, there's pitchers in our league that can be good for five in but they don't have enough bullets left to go six, or they're good for six and don't have enough bullets to go into the seventh inning. But I think Yamamoto has done a much better job of these last couple of years about being efficient and given himself a chance to get into that seventh inning.
Speaker 4: Dave, the one thing I've heard about Yamamoto this year is that he has become better prepared, studying the hitters, understanding what he can do against certain guys, and that has given him a lot more conviction on the mound. Do you feel like that has led to his dominance this season?
Speaker 11: I do? I do.
Speaker 13: I think in the first couple of years it was more of that trustfall and not knowing the league, not knowing the hitters, and trying to depend on the catchers and the coaches. But you know, as he's had more at bats with guys than he can kind of get his own thoughts, and then you layer that in with the game planning, and then it's really more concrete. I do think that the experience that he's had in our league is made him even better.
Speaker 8: Is it fair to compare him that he may be?
Speaker 4: Obviously these two guys are Hall of famers, But is he a mixture of Greg maddicks and Pedro Martinez? Do you see those characteristics?
Speaker 13: I see both in different ways. I think I see the command the studying with Greg maddox, I see the different pitches that Pedro had the killer, but Greg was a killer as well. Yeah, you know it's like there's a there's a little bit of Bulldogs or hersh eyes that there's a little bit of John Smoltz with the command.
Speaker 11: You know, he's you know, there's a.
Speaker 13: Lot of great pitchers that he's got a lot of those character traits.
Speaker 4: Manager Dave Roberts is our guest. It's the Manager's Meeting presented by Downey Hyundai. All right, when you look at your team, you start to get some players back, Dave, And when the Dodgers would turn home, Keith a Hernandez was pretty confident that he'll be back with the team. Do you feel like on the upcoming homestand Edwin Diaz and keiy K will add even more talent to your roster?
Speaker 13: I think right now very confident. Key K's playing through the weekend with this OKAC team and the expectations he'll be back with us on Tuesday, And the expectation with Edwin is he's going to throw tomorrow and then he'll be back available with us on Wednesday night. So yeah, we're starting to become whole. And you know, Blake Snell just do last night, So he'll pitch next week for four innings and then you know, hopefully shortly after that, you know he'll be back, you know, coming back to.
Speaker 11: Us as well.
Speaker 4: And with those guys that have missed the majority of the season, do you think adding those guys helps the guys that have been grinding all season long, gives them a little extra something?
Speaker 13: I think so, you know, it's kind of, you know, recharges us. And I think that you saw that a little bit with Key K when he came back and he just gave us a shot in the arm and then he heard the oblique.
Speaker 11: But you know, that's what he's going to do.
Speaker 13: And obviously when you get your closer back, that's going to do a lot for the bullpen. And when you get a guy like Blake Snow who's won two side youngs, that's certainly going to make your rotation your team much better as well.
Speaker 4: Earlier on this road trip, I got to go back in time with some of the things that have stood out to me, and the last game of the series in Philadelphia. Managers don't usually go out to exchange lineup cards, but you and Don manningly went out there to exchange lineup cards in Philadelphia. Two umpires that have been in the league a long time, Brian O Noorra and Las Diaz. It's their final season. Where did that was that? A? Was that the reason why you went out there and bu What did that mean for you to, you know, just salute those guys.
Speaker 11: Yeah, so it was kind of organic.
Speaker 13: I go out there every first game of every series, That's kind of what I do, and then this one I went out for the first and then the last one. I just wanted to send those guys off. I know we'll see Las again, and I think Brian is going to get some type of procedure done, so I think that that was going to be his last game, you know, first career. So I think that Donnie knew that as well. So it was great for us to, you know, send them off. And you know, umpires are scrutinized every single night just like managers are, and they do a great job.
Speaker 11: They do the best they can.
Speaker 13: So you know, for two guys that have done it for as long as they have, I got nothing but respect for him.
Speaker 4: I've seen you before have interactions with certain umpires.
Speaker 8: Dan Bellino seems to be a very.
Speaker 4: Friendly Dave Roberts type of umpire as much as you can be.
Speaker 13: Yeah, you know what, Dan and I we've had our you know, we've had our battles, but he's softened. I have nothing but love and respect for him. But I have fun with the umpires, and like I said, they do the best they can. But we definitely throw our barbs, you know, in jes tongue in cheek.
Speaker 11: Have a lot of fun with those guys.
Speaker 4: All right, before I let you go, Since we're talking about umpires, we are almost at the end of the regular season here, almost into August. How do you believe the abs challenging has worked out so far for the teams but also for the umpires.
Speaker 13: Well, I think in total, I think for the game it's been great. I think I can't speak to the teams. I can speak to our team where I think that there's opportunities to get better and pick times of the right times, leverage times to do it. But I think that and I think that it's been good for the umpires. I think that no one likes to be embarrassed, and you know, when you have the opportunity to potentially challenge, it does make their focus a little bit more heightened, and that's good for the game. And it's no you know, I'm not trying to bang or knock mpires, but I do think so overall, nets it's a huge win for us.
Speaker 8: And it also proves that they're pretty good at their job.
Speaker 13: They are, they are, and I think that's something it's hard to kind of appreciate. You know, you're talking about ninety three, ninety four mon hours sliders, cutters and one hundred and five mile an hour fastballs that certain guys are throwing up there. It's like and now you're talking about missing a half an inch an inch and it ain't easy. But like I said, they're doing the best they can. They do a pretty good job.
Speaker 8: All right, Dave, thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 4: I've had a great time in joining the East Coast with you, and we'll have a happy flight home tomorrow.
Speaker 11: Let's do it, Dave.
Speaker 4: There he is the man, the manager, three time World Series manager, Dave Roberts. And it's all brought to you by our friends at Downey Hunday.
Speaker 8: We'll send it back to you Tim.
Speaker 3: All right, thanks a lot, DV. Thank you Dave Roberts. As it leads up to first pitch on this Saturday. When we come back here on Dodgers on Deck, we'll dive deeper into this great pitching matchup. It's the Dodgers and Mets. First pitch of four fifteen. I'm Tim kateson the back to back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Know one.
Speaker 5: This is Rongo Casino Dodgers Hunting game on your.
Speaker 1: Home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 3: It's the Dodgers and Mets, Game two of there's three game series from New York.
Speaker 6: First pitch coming up at four fifteen.
Speaker 5: And now before the Dodgers hit the dining we look at the pitching matchups.
Speaker 6: Brought to buy your Toyota dealers. We make it easy.
Speaker 3: Nolan McLain on the Mountains seven and six with a three thirty four ERA twenty five year old right hander. Second season in the big leagues. He came out of Oklahoma State as a two way player. When he was drafted in twenty twenty three, they made him a pitcher. Only making his twenty first start, he pitched in the WBC sinker four seam fastball, sweeper, curveball.
Speaker 6: That curveball. It's one of the best in baseball.
Speaker 3: It's got the highest average RPM of any pitcher in the big leagues. He gets a thirty nine percent whiff rate on it, and the hitters are just one to eighteen against the curve. He has completed at least six innings in each of his last six starts last time out, six shutout innings, two hits, ten strikeouts on a win over the Phillies last Sunday, making his second ever start against the Dodgers. They saw him back on April fourteenth, a Uniclo field the Dodgers Stadium. He went seven innings, allowed just one run on two hits while striking out eight. Yoshinobu Yamamoto on the Mounta ten and six of the two seventy eight ro making his nineteen start this year last time out, complete game, four hit against the Yankees and the Bronx, give up just two runs while striking out seven along the way. Yamamoto ranks amongst the National Leagu's leaders and wins era innings pitch, the Pony's batted average and walk rate, as well as whip He has given up two or fewer runs in eight of his last ten starts. Earlier this season, he faced off against McLean and the Mets again on April fourteenth at Dodgers Stadium, seven to two thirds, giving up just one run on four hits and a no decision. These two combined for fifteen strikeouts on that April fourteenth matchup, Yamamoto and McClain. Dodgers and Mets were fifteen minutes away for first pitch.
Speaker 6: Keys to the game.
Speaker 3: Our next, I'm Tim Kats's back to back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on tack on your Home for the Blue.
Speaker 3: All season log Dodgers and Mets squaring off Yoshanoba, Yamamoto, Nolan McClain in the pitching matchup. As we get you ready for the start of the game with the Saporo starts great moment, Start with Sapporo beer, whatever your take preference Sapora as you cover with the Friday and crisp and refreshing loggers including light and non alcoholic beer. Soaporo, good with sushi, Great with baseball. Back out to the booth one final time before first pitch. Steven Nelson, Jose Mota, guys.
Speaker 2: All right, TC, back at it here with Jose Mota getting ready for the first pitch of Game two in this three game series for the Dodgers and Mets. The Dodgers trying to back up last night's win and clinch this series, as they will throw out Yoshinobu Yamamoto opposite Nolan McClain. This is the best schedule pitching matchup of the series with respect to the other starters we have seen. But Yoshinobu Yamamoto last week in New York against the Yankees was utterly brilliant. I mean, his first complete game in the regular season. Obviously, it did it a couple of times un route to the World Series last year, Jose, But any chance you get to watch Yoshinoba Yamamoto go to work, it's a trick.
Speaker 7: Quietly, he just has built himself into the most dependable starter in baseball for this reason. Nine times he's down one hundred pitches or more, he's thrown five innings at least, and every single start eight times, Steve and he's gone seven plus innings. And then on top of that is not like the pitches accumulate you have to be worried about. Wow, I'm gonna get him out of there. In the fifth inning, he finds a way in which, if he's not economical early, he induces a ground ball. That's a great combination. He's thrown more strikes. One of the issues last year was what has happened between you know Yamamoto in the first three innings or he issued most of his walks. That's been eliminated and when he needs to push you off the side.
Speaker 11: Great.
Speaker 7: But now the one thing that I know is working the best for him, fast poles down on the zone because he's a dark thrower. The opponent's rating one hundred against. Are you going to tell me downstairs doesn't work anymore?
Speaker 13: Oh?
Speaker 8: Yes it does.
Speaker 2: The last ten starts for Yema Motor just his ten game sample size, and that includes the turn against Arizona in which he gave up a high and six earned runs opponents ops combined in the last ten starts, four seventy five. That's the ops against Yamamoto. Just to illustrate and underscore how dominant he has been. He has ascended to a status not just on this step but across the league. On the other side, it's Nolan McClain, rookie right handed for the Met's got a taste of the big leagues last year and eight starts, and he was dominant and pitched for Team USA in the World Baseball Classic. And he has been really good this year. Is right three point three four. He's had three blow up outings, but outside of those, he's been hard to touch.
Speaker 7: He's got six or seven pitches he's gonna use every single one of them, but he depends more of that slider that breaks about eighteen inches, the best among any starter in baseball. The Dodgers got to him early last time they saw him back then at the Unicolfield Dowers Stadium because of the first ending, he was just not there yet. But after that it's one of those games where a guy like this, with so many pitches Steven narrowed down to one or two. Don't look for anything or anticipate tendencies. Don't look for anything else beyond breaks or anything like that. Just look in one zone, stay with it, and when he makes a mistake, sure that you don't put your best swing that means home run, put your best swing that means hard contact.
Speaker 2: This is a rematch tim of the starting pitching matchup that we saw back on April fourteenth in La Young Moto against mcclaim. The Dodgers ultimately won that game two to one. Neither starter factored into the decision, as Kyle Tucker got the game winning RBI late in the game off Brooks Raley. So it's Game two for the Dodgers and Mets. It gets going shortly, we'll send it back to you.
Speaker 6: All right, thank you, Nelly, as we lead you up to first pitch.
Speaker 3: We got first pitch next, that's right, Dodgers and Mets, Game two of.
Speaker 6: This three game series.
Speaker 3: When we returned, enjoy, David Vastates got your cover with all the post game when it's over. This has been Wrongo Casino Dodgers on deck on your back to back World Series Champion Dodgers Audio Network