Speaker 1: This entire month of February. We've done our best every Friday that we've been live to bring to you a different voice, to potentially introduce to you someone you may not know, or to just shine a light on someone that is black and doing amazing things in our community and beyond. As we continue to celebrate Black History Month, We've introduced you to Keith Butler, founder of Detroit Boys Mentoring Group. We had Glinda and Diane Lewis on who are the first African American or just first mother daughter duo period in America, to co anchor a news show, and today we got a friend of the show, director, producer, a writer. He's done commercial work for Nike, Beats by Dre, and the NBA. He won an Emmy Award for his work with the Detroit Pistons. He's directed videos for Big Sean Jay Cole, just to name a few television shows for HBO.
Speaker 2: He directed a.
Speaker 1: Film, One of Them Days, starring Keiki Palmer, Incissit and debut at number one at the box office, got over twenty nominations, including an NAACP Image Award, and he most recently won the Breakthrough Direct Reward from the African American Film Critics Association say, what up? Del Mojo in the morning makes some noise for mos?
Speaker 3: Good money?
Speaker 1: How you're feeling no, thank you for joining the show man?
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, I'm feeling great.
Speaker 5: You know, it's six six forty am over here on the West Coast, but I have to make it early.
Speaker 2: Make it early, right.
Speaker 6: Sure you're on the West coast now, But you grew up in Detroit correct.
Speaker 5: Oh, yeah, definitely, yep. I went to Bates Academy.
Speaker 7: Southfield Highs where I graduated. I've been at LA for like thirteen years, which is crazy to say.
Speaker 3: I feel like a pop all.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: So how is it, man, when you say it's crazy to say you're a kid from Detroit, Michigan went to Bates Academy. I went to Bates Academy to I ended up getting kicked out for other reasons though I didn't graduate. And now you're you're living in Los Angeles and not only are you living there, but you're living your dream and kind of talk about you know, we're in award season right now. And I'm sure you grew up, you know, with a speech in mind of who you would think when you received an award and now you're not only being nominated, but you're winning. I kind of talk about having this this dream realized.
Speaker 5: Man, It's it's you know, it's it's mind blowing in a way.
Speaker 3: You know, like I.
Speaker 5: Literally remember, you know, being in my grandma's basement, you know, as a teenager writing scripts, you know, or my aunts watching films, looking up to filmmakers, you.
Speaker 7: Know, not really necessarily knowing I wanted to be.
Speaker 5: A filmmaker in that sense, but I know that, like fourteen year old me was was ready for these moments.
Speaker 4: So it's been really special.
Speaker 5: And you know, winning that after the award last weekend.
Speaker 4: Was was big. You know. It was kind of like that.
Speaker 5: Speech was for little boy me and just hopefully to inspire so many. So it's lit a few under me, and I feel like not even I feel like I know that I'm just getting started. So I'm excited about the progress so far and excited about more things in comedy, ay.
Speaker 1: Man, and being from Detroit, Man, we definitely have a way of thinking and a way of being. And with your particular role being the person that is showcasing the vision right for whatever, be movies, television, How is Detroit kind of I would say, shape the way that you work, or the way that you see movies or whatever it is that you're creating.
Speaker 2: How is Detroit shaped the way that you direct?
Speaker 5: I have a great question because it's just like Detroit is so in me, through and through. I think Detroit's authenticity helps me, you know, be the visionary that I am, you know, always like not second guessing.
Speaker 4: You know, we we love uh you know, it's flat.
Speaker 5: Detroit is flatboyant, detraded, vote, detroited, vibrant, and I carry that with me with everything I'll direct, you know, not settling. You know, I think that just even with the history of detroyed from Motown to you know, even a new age techno and Jay Dilla, like being original and authentic. It makes me, you know, not second guess the decisions I'm making and each other comes down to my intuition.
Speaker 4: So I just follow my heart.
Speaker 5: And I think he traded the big part of that, just because he traded so authentical.
Speaker 4: You know, the very Detroit is a real It is a real thing for real. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It goes beyond a statue.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for real, Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 5: I mean even some of the gangs you be winning I'm like without.
Speaker 1: So what do you say to I guess children or other creators? Right because social media is huge right now is way you know more, you have more ability to create than you did when you were at Base and get those creations seen by the entire world. What do you have as far as advice for people who are kids or people who are adults who are creatives that are you know, kind of molding themselves maybe so after your career or inspire by the things you do just to keep going.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, the first thing I would say is comparison is definitely the thief from Jewel, you know, so, like, you know, you can get caught up and like man, I want to be like fight Lee, or I want to be like you know and that or I want to be like Lauren's mine, which is crazy to say, but that that will set you back or you know, further before you even start, you know, because we are all walking our own paths and everybody's individual.
Speaker 4: But with that said, you know.
Speaker 5: I think it's about making things that you want to see or that you want to feel, or things that you know that your friend group or people you love will enjoy, you know, and you know, I still when I started directing video other teenagers for Sean and other early Mac and other my Detroit homies music videos, it was a change and like from film cameras and digital cameras, you know, so they were photography cameras that had video qualities that were just super advanced, and we were able to use that to do the videos. And now looks like social media with iPhones.
Speaker 7: You know, we see so many.
Speaker 5: Commercials that are like shot on iPhone or you know, it's like you can people got their tripods and they're mountain their cameras. You can literally make a short film, you know, with tools that you have in your home already, you know. And another thing for like filmmakers is people think I had got to raise all this money to make my project, which sure us true, But I thought about doing music videos, and I think I always encourage young filmmakers to find a friend that makes music, come with a crazy idea, even if your budget is pizza, you know, and just and just try it, you know, and just do it. Because I got my chops in music videos because I was able to tell stories and care have you seen my you also you off, you know, you've seen some of the videos of Dell, which I and stuff to be amazed, we won't. But they were always narrative driven. They were always stories, you know. They were never just wrapping in the camera, you know. And I think that allowed me to be creative.
Speaker 4: As I can, but within.
Speaker 7: Like three four or five minutes and that and that.
Speaker 5: Also showcase for me to want I went to show kay Hollywood that I can.
Speaker 4: I'm more than just the meuse video director. I can tell stories.
Speaker 5: So you know, anybody listening, it's like, just don't make something.
Speaker 7: You know you can.
Speaker 5: You can come up with excuses all day long, but we have the tools now to just make something end of something and put those ten thousand plus hours in because the more you are working on it, the better you're gonna get at your craft.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: For those just tuning in, we got Lawrence Leamont, director, producer, raised in the city of Detroit.
Speaker 2: Lawrence that you not new to this man.
Speaker 1: You've been doing still and do things in particular in the city of Detroit for.
Speaker 2: Many, many years. And when you had the I.
Speaker 1: Don't want to say promo run, but when you were going around the country and hosting these viewing parties, I like to call it felt like it felt like a party in there. It felt like an experience the screen. When I think about the City of the Trade, I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this as well, because I feel like, not only is it in the screen, it's in every film or video you do, but the word community comes to mind, and there was a huge community support. Anna was there, Yeah, that pull it up to the Royal Lolk Music Theater to see in one of them days. What do you think about the support of the city of Detroit that they have for you and how we need to support each other so that we can continue to see people rise from the City of the Trade and continue to do amazing things.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Man, I feel like that's just so important.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 7: It's like it's like unconditional love versus temporary.
Speaker 3: Love, you know, in a sense. And I feel like.
Speaker 5: When Detroit loves you and love love hard, you know, and it's underwaivering, you know. And a lot of people that were at that premiere and Detroit were people that have watched me since I was in place, you know, as a teenager and I was acting and stuff. So you know, your your first fans are your friends and family, and I think that's enough to take you out of this atmosphere, you know, so I think, you know, we need to continue to supporting each other. Community is valuable and like.
Speaker 7: You said, it is a theme and a lot of the work that I do because.
Speaker 4: We all we got you know, like you got you.
Speaker 5: If we not supporting each other, and it's so easy to hate, you know, it's like easier.
Speaker 7: So it's like, why would you want to put.
Speaker 5: That vigration out into universe and you could show love even if there's things we disliked.
Speaker 7: It's like what can you finding you like within that? You know, I think the more.
Speaker 4: Support we give each other, uh, the more we'll.
Speaker 7: Like vibrate higher.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 7: It's like I love to treat people kindness all the time. That's like my biggest thing.
Speaker 4: Even when I'm.
Speaker 7: Hiring my crew is like, yeah, I'm.
Speaker 5: Interviewing you basing your skill set, but how are are you a good person? You know, like do you support your people? Are you a team player? Because it's really important that you shine back on you shine on each other because that will inspire you to go leave and do that to somebody else, you know, like you'd be nice to a waiter, you know, or somebody that's down bad or feeling in a certain way, and they may leave that encounter to go be that way with someone else, and that just it becomes like a ripple effect. And I think it's the same thing with support and with community. So hopefully I answered the question.
Speaker 6: No, no, no, that was beautiful, And I'm gonna jump in maybe to wrap this up, but can you talk about what's on the horizon or what do you have going on that we can look forward to? Is there anything?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I can't say, do.
Speaker 4: You know working with big.
Speaker 7: Studios now.
Speaker 5: Check, But but honestly, I do have a few projects that I'm developing a lot of projects I'm developing.
Speaker 4: Actually that in the work. Some are set up at some cool studios.
Speaker 5: I'm still trying to find homes passion projects that I've been ideas I've had since I was a teenager, even the early twenties, and I'm finally starting to realize.
Speaker 4: So you know, you're gonna look out.
Speaker 7: You know, I'm definitely looking at expand my myself.
Speaker 5: In film, you know, like one of them days, the comedy, but if you watch it, there is you know a lot of high jinks and it's physical comedy and it's some action. So I'm looking to do more action comedy. I'm looking to do more genre stuff, you know, in the fantasy space, which.
Speaker 4: You know you're looking about these videos.
Speaker 5: I kind of explore a lot of themes already, but you're going to grow and expand, uh more than just like a typical comedy, you know.
Speaker 3: And I have a few.
Speaker 5: Projects that are that and you know, bigger, better, larger slope and I'm excited to you know, share the world on this time.
Speaker 6: I just hope you bring them back to Detroit for another viewing party because that was dope.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's my.
Speaker 5: Goal, like every movie that I that I do and shows like, but for sure every film I'm like, I want to put in my contract.
Speaker 7: You gotta do at.
Speaker 4: And hopefully, like you know.
Speaker 5: I'm I'm praying the film incentives coming back to the state of Michigan too, because I got a lot of Detroit stories I want to tell and then it's not fun.
Speaker 7: And when you have to tell these.
Speaker 5: Three Detroit stories and different states, you know, you got to go got filming in Ohio, filming.
Speaker 4: In New Jersey, Like that's no fun.
Speaker 5: So that's another thing that I've been like fighting and pushing forward for the past few years, and hopefully it comes soon because then y'all can just come visit me on set.
Speaker 7: You know, you know so uh so, yeah, be on the lookout.
Speaker 4: Things are ruined, all right.
Speaker 1: Well, listen once once the NBA are lifted and you finally have the opportunity, man, to really get in depth with everything that you got going on. You always got a home up here at the Mojo in the Morning show, please pull up live in person so we can get a chance to see you in the studio man, and everything you got going on, and absolutely save me a role for one of them.
Speaker 2: You know I'm in there.
Speaker 1: I go all right, man, Lawrence Lema, have a blessed day, man, Thank.
Speaker 3: You you too.
Speaker 7: Appreciate you all.
Speaker 2: Take care Bye,