Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: We gonna join right now by a man that is part of my favorite baseball show on MLB Network, that's MLB Central with Robert Flores and Lauren Shahati. He is the manager of Team USA, and I feel like being a Jersey guy, he can relate to this with Kershaw joining Team USA and the World Baseball Classic when the call was made uptown and the big Man joined the band. That's the one and only Mark de Rosa. Dro Thanks a lot for coming on the show. Appreciate it.
Speaker 3: First off, David, what an intro right there. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Second off, what a way to tie his career in a bow, right one of the greatest to ever do it. I remember when I was manager in twenty three, I tried to get him to pitch for us, then it didn't work out. I felt like I learned a lot from that roster and and what this tournament needs to get to the finish line. And when I was sitting back and looking at it and putting this roster together, I called him probably i'd say about three weeks ago, and I think I caught him a little bit off guard. When I called him and I kind of walked him through why I thought it made sense and if he would be willing to do it, because I didn't know coming off the World Series if he just wanted to end it like that. But I thought one opportunity to get him in a USA jersey. It was sitting there with Andy Pettitt and going through it. I'm like, Andy, I'm gonna call him and see where his head's at, and and he was. He was down to give it a try. He wanted to see if his arm still felt good.
Speaker 3: He wanted a.
Speaker 1: Couple of days to go out and throw and see what he felt like. And he said he would call me back, and yeah, right around Christmas time. So it was it was a perfect opportunity and a perfect present for us to kind of to kind of make this work. And listen, I know you've got a ton of questions, but it works on so many levels. It gives him an opportunity to put the jersey on. It gives the likes of Scooble and Schemes and Logan Webb and Joe Ryan and all the young pitchers on this staff a chance to learn from him. And like I said, and we can talk about it at length.
Speaker 3: Why he makes sense for the roster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting you already you know, shot down what many people believed something that it was Kershaw that drove this, that approached you, it was you that wanted to have him on the team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I'm he was. We walked down this road in twenty three for a while to try and get him cleared and get him on the mound for us, and it just didn't make sense for you know, his side and all the parties involved, and I was upset because I wanted him to be a part of it this time going through it. There's guard rails on how many pitches guys can throw. There's guard rails with regards to the starting pitchers that are on this roster being built up to a certain because we don't want to upset them getting ready for opening Day, and this certainly kind of puts a different obstacle in place for them. And I just remember in twenty three we ran into a situation where both starters that went out to Mexico Mexico didn't pitch well and we had to cover the rest of that game with our basically our entire relief corps and based on the parameters and guardrails in place with the teams and trying to keep these guys healthy, lance Lynn had to bow up in a bit way for us and pitch his tailoff against Canada to kind of give us a chance to reset the bullpen and be able to follow all the guidelines that were given to us by the parent clubs. We didn't want to run into that same situation this time, so we will have eight starters on the staff and Clayton will basically be like an emergency longman for us in case one of those situations arises, where he can go in reset our bullpen, reset how we're going to do things, and gives us kind of a safety net for not getting caught with our pants down like we almost did last time because of all the rules and regulations that are surrounding the WBC.
Speaker 3: Listen.
Speaker 1: I don't expect him to go out and pitch the championship game. I would love that, but I also understand where he's at in his career, and you know where he is at in his life. But I thought it would be he'd be the perfect guy to kind of fill that role for us and to be kind of like a pseudo pitching coach with Andy Pettitt and also get him on the bump in some spot places.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. Team USA manager Mark de Rosa is joining us, obviously, you see him during the season on MLB Central on MLB Network and look Mark. I guess that kind of just puts it all into context on how you plan to use them your vision for him. But I've heard from guys that come back from the World Baseball Classic and being part of Team USA that it's kind of a measuring stick for everybody and also an opportunity for these guys to pick the brain of the best in the game. How much is that playing into your vision as well for guys like you mentioned Schooble and schemes to pick the brain of Kershaw.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Because when you're looking at a situation like this, there's not too many current players that are going to be willing to potentially not throw in a game or be asked to only throw an inning or two innings. These guys want to be ramped up to get ready for the regular season. So when we really went through it, it would be a big ask for a current player to fill the spot that Clayton's filling, and when you go through some of the name I just thought he was the perfect guy. Like I want to be around him. Our staff wants to be around them. I've gotten to know him since twenty twenty three, kind of going down the process the first time. He's he's a man's man, and I knew schemes in Schooble, like I said, were guys that wanted to learn from him. I remember the first thing Paul Skeen said to me when he agreed to be a part of this pitching staff. He goes, I want you to surround me with the best. I don't want to be teaching everybody what I do and how I go after it. I want to learn. I want to get better from this process while competing for our country. So I was sitting there with Andy, like I said, right around Christmas time, and I'm like, Andy, if we're going to put a guy in this long man spot and cover us because there was no one in our bullpen last time that can go north of thirty pitches right that the starters can only go sixty five pitches in pool play, so it kind of limits what you're capable of doing in an emergency situation. I said, if we're going to fill this role, the perfect guy to do it is Clayton, because we all want to be around him, we all want to learn from him. He will go down as one of the greatest to ever do it. And I just thought, if he's willing, that it would be the perfect addition to the team. And when I called him, I didn't know what I.
Speaker 3: Was going to get.
Speaker 1: To be honest with you, Dave, I you know every call that I've made, and you know you could write a book about all the nose we've gotten, the reasons why, all.
Speaker 3: The yes is.
Speaker 1: It's some of my highlight of my life making these calls. But when I called Clayton, I kind of said, hey, listen, I have this idea where you make a ton of sense for our roster. I'd like walk you through it if you're interested. And he's like, give it to me, And I kind of walked him through it and he's like, Yeah, I'm in I think I want to do it. Give me forty eight hours to think about it. Let me talk to my wife and see where she's at with it. And then he called me back two days later. He goes if you want to do it, I want. I want to be a part of it. And I'm like, let's go.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. That's an electric phone call right there. One other question for you. You know, Kershaw has referenced his body in a self deprecating way the last few months of the season as he's just trying to get this carcass going. He's referenced his body as a carcass. Has he started Does that mean he has now ramped up his off season throwing. I've heard he's only playing catch with Charlie. What have you heard as far as him trying to get that carcass ready?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he scared Andy Pettit a little bit saying, hey, I'm just going to work out with my son and throw. I think Andy was expecting him to get ready like he's preparing for a season.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: I mean, listen, he knows what he needs to do as long as his arm feels okay. We don't expect him to light up the raid our gun by any stretch. I think this is a perfect opportunity for us to feel like we have an emergency kind of if it hits the fan, we know we have Clayton there to be able to kind of bail us and reset us, And what an opportunity. I would love nothing more than for everything to go kind of seamless according to plan, and we're able to get him on the mat in like, you know, a clinching situation and for the world to see him out on the bump and pitch a you know, a big inning for us to kind of celebrate, that would be like perfect. But I think it's more this is a situation he feels comfortable in. If an emergency, we can put him in there for out however long, the sixty five pitches or an inning or two innings, whatever that may be. I just felt like he's the perfect guy to serve as like kind of a de facto captain with Aaron Judge and if if in an emergency we need him, we could kind of kind of reset everything with him.
Speaker 2: Sounds perfect. I know everybody in LA is excited. I know this has generated more buzz for the World Baseball Classics. So great idea by the Team USA skipper Mark De Rosa, and I have a vision for you when you first appear on MLB Central Training, you should wear your Team USA uniform, just full pants everything. Just hop on that couch with Lauren and Roe, flow and let them know who the skipper is.
Speaker 3: Dave, the only thing thinking about is we have to win.
Speaker 2: This, oh baby, through no doubt.
Speaker 1: That's really bottom line. I know Dominican, I know Japan, I know every other country is trying to get after this. My juices are rolling. I know it's the seed I sit in. I understand it from the parent club's perspective, how they just want their guys back healthy from But from where I'm sitting, man, this is the most important thing I'm doing.
Speaker 3: So let's go.
Speaker 2: Let's go. You got a few good Dodgers, including the most slutch hitter in baseball, and Will Smith as one of your catchers. So it's gonna be awesome to watch Team USA make their run to the gold medal and the World Baseball Classic. Mark de Rosa, thank you so much for coming on on a day that we had exciting breaking news with Clayton Kershaw joining Team USA. Love you, Mark, Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: All Right, David, you're the man. I'll talk to you, buddy,