Speaker 1: In American way to midweek, here we go Scott's flown back on seven hundred w WELW. He called it intolerable. One of the latest, the longest list of adjectives I've ever heard about crime in Cincinnati. The new one is intolerable. That would be your adjective of the day, is what mayor have to Puerval called the violence downtown, the back to back shootings on Fountain Square and says significant changes are coming after all that. So we're going to see swat on Fountain Square. We're going to see the Civil Disturbance Response Team whatever that is, on Fountain Square, and it's going to look like parts of Gaza. Chief Terry Thiji is commanding her officers to make contact with people for even the most minor offenses. That's called the broken windows theory of policing, which is just absolutely as sailed for years by progressives, is just punching down on people and stopping them and causing distrust in the community. And now, guess what turns out that strategy might work a little bit. Huh. But before the Mayor's Presser Council had a public safety hearing yesterday, it was really hard to hear that, and you could hear the frustration from residents.
Speaker 2: Listen, I am not able to tell future tenants and they would be safe.
Speaker 3: I've been down the district to a couple times myself. I just don't feel like we're getting the results that we need to make our tenants feel safe. It feels like something has shifted.
Speaker 1: Two of our best friends who live in the neighborhood have decided to move.
Speaker 3: The violence has just gotten out of control.
Speaker 1: Honest and more is council member Anna, I'll be with law in public safety. She sits on the committee and sat through that difficult testimony yesterday, Anna, good morning, how you been by?
Speaker 4: Good morning? Thanks got having me. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, your reaction when you're sitting there listening to all these people say, look, I have his investment of property, and I'm a landlord who I feel him is imagine going, hey, I have people who won't rent because they afraid they're going to get shot, or someone has said, hey, listen, my circle of friends, they're all moving out because they've got small kids, or they just fear their safety. That was some of the most telling testimony I think I've heard in a long time, and it shows you how far gone things are. What was your immediate reaction.
Speaker 4: Well, immediately in the moment, I made sure my staff got all those folks compact information, and I was taking diligent notes. You know, I take all of this very very seriously. You know, public safety, making sure people feel safe is my number one priority, and I know that shared. So I followed up afterwards with the city manager and the police chief listing out the issues that we heard. I took notes on the exact location, so you know we're going to take action here. I also spoke with the assistant police chief yesterday about another issue that was brought to my attention. So we're really taking action here and using police based solutions to really dig into what's happening in this specific spot to make sure that we can everyone feels safe, feel safe in our safe right. It'stion plus reality.
Speaker 1: I'm hereath the Grapevines about Well, we heard this small learning about Jeff Ruby's Lempica, which used to be the main location in the Art deco restaurant on Seventh Street, and they've now turned that into an event space. Actually, I was at a wedding there a few months ago. And this absolutely spectaculars way over the top. It's so nice. They're closing that location and maybe a beef with the landlord with Town Properties, which I get because there's some safety issues like door if not being locked and things like that, and so we don't feel safe and our businesses compromise. So we're closing that up despite a huge investment in that. Don't know what it's going to become in the future, if anything, but that's a loss, and they're moving their business operations to Wallut Street. But you know, behind these scenes, I guess they're hearing rumors that there's maybe some threats there saying, hey, we if we got gun you know, people shooting each other on Fountain Square across from our beautiful flagship restaurant on Fountain Square. And now we've had the shooting the other we had what two shootings in the last few days on Fountain Square, like right in front of Rubies. That's not a place where people are gonna feel safe coming to. Our clientele's not gonna be safe. We're gonna have to we're gonna have to move. Losing that would send I think a tutle wave of problems for those who sit on council and those who seek to be re elected or elected might be a good thing for them. But I don't know if that's true or not, Anna, but that that's really really telling there. If we have flagship restaurants, if we have the culinary name in Cincinnati going, we can't be in Cincinnati. You lost.
Speaker 4: So I can't comment on you know, the speaks of landlords or any of that details. I know probably as much as you reading in the press. But again, this council and mayor and administration, we're truly taking action. You heard yesterday from the slice chief and the mayor new plans around Sountain Square, both from looking at transportation patterns what we need to do to kind of spread out the people and make sure that we have bet Are coverage, also bringing in additional support from law enforcement. So that is the work we're doing. I mean, I think what was most shocking to me was the most recent an incident and where it's the fact that we had four officers there.
Speaker 5: Yep, right, and.
Speaker 4: That's that's just shocking behavior. I think we all just have to name it that that is insane.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 4: However, many years ago, knowing that four officers were a matter of yards away from you would have been at a turrent. So you know this, this is a new level, and we are stepping up to the plate to provide more resources, new resources, partnering with the governor, partnering with the sheriff's office, doing all of that work to really try to tackle what's happening.
Speaker 1: But isn't that an indication Anna that it's too far gone? I mean that, you know, it's not like everyone's gonna pull up stakes. But you know, all this action now, okay, great, but if the bad guys aren't obeying law enforcement, there's a cop standing right there, I'm gonna shoot at you anyway. All the adjectives, all the superlatives, all the patrols, all the curfews. What you're saying is it hasn't done anything to stop the violence. And that then tells me that we moved that, that our leaders moved way too late on us.
Speaker 4: You know, here, here's what I would say. It would be really helpful if we had support from the state in terms of laws, because there are too many guns on our street. And you know, I'm going to talk about this all day. It is too easy to get firearms legally and too we can get them easily illegally as well. And so it'll be really great if Ohio had some stronger gun laws or we could actually go after getting somebod climb off the street harder. And you know that's part of the work of the Crime Gun Intelligence Center, and we partner with the APS, with local law enslorcement, the Ohio State controls helping us with us like, there are too many guns, and I think we just all need to acknowledge are too many guns on our streets. And that is why I'm really passionate about we need stronger laws at the state level, hopefully at the federal level that actually empower us to go get the firearms pop of the handle games with people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I let me push back on that. A couple of points. Number one would be we have federal laws. The law says if you are a felon and you you're carrying a gun, you've now escalated that you go to prison. And yet we have judges, largely progressive judges that see juveniles, that see people go, oh, you got a gun. You're not supposed to have a gun. You cut your ankle, bonder, Yeah, you're good, go ahead, It's fine, we'll catch it a later date. I mean, weep. You keep calling for tougher laws, but you're not enforcing the laws in the books. Why aren't we getting tougher with people who are who end up getting jammed up with a gun and they right out of a felony. That's that's called having a gun to disability. And I'm sorry, but we have judges in Cincinnati that allow that.
Speaker 4: Hey, our judges are making sure that laws are performed and executed.
Speaker 1: And are they're not, otherwise they wouldn't have this.
Speaker 4: Hey, agree to disagree on this one, right, That's that's fair. But you know, at the end of the day, I think we have too many guns. I support the work of our Crime Intelligence Center going after those because it is. It was shocking to me to watch the video in the Prep Sumping District with the police chief and how casually someone was able to just pull gun out, shoot shoot at people and walk away. Right, That's that's horrifict We can all right.
Speaker 1: Because they know there's no consequences if I do that.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, officers are on the scene pretty pretty quickly, right, So like it now, it's a matter of putting together the case and going through with that and that again, that is where we have to do off into the job from the city perspective of putting together strong cases so our judges have all the information. And frankly, we're doing work to working with the judicial system on improving our technology in the courtrooms making sure that information is more readily available that we had that we were able to provide all that case information. So here's the I'm the only only to my family who's not a lawyer. My brother is actually a prosecutor in the Federal Office and VC. But you know, these lawyers, you know, haveing making sure the prosecutors have all the information that day in front of them with technology, that is a big challenge right now. So we are working the city puts dollars together and there's a whole kind of task force with our judges where we're making sure that we're empowering our judges and our prosecutors and our officers with all the technologies to make sure all that information is at their fingertips. Decisions are being made off the.
Speaker 1: Court, but the problem is they're not. And you know, I don't think gun laws may do something in the future, probably not because I think the other element of two analby is how are the people, especially juveniles, getting guns so well they're breaking into cars? Well, why are people live in guns and cars? Is because I think a couple of things. Number one would be there's a lot of places we are not allowed to carry by law, and so I say, hey, I don't feel safe in Cincinnati. If I come downtown, I'm gonna come with a gun, come heavy and okay. If I got to go somewhere to leave in my car, I think that's just a It's like a self fulfilling prophecy. The more unsafe people feel, the more they feel they need to arm themselves. They can't bring it in, so they're leaving the car, which encourages people to break into cars and steal guns.
Speaker 4: You have talked about secure firearm storage in cars of force, So I know, no, this is a place where we can both agree in terms of making sure that you know, if a gun, if you're bringing it downtown, that's pure legal, right, let's have it locked up.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 4: So we're doing a couple of things. One, we're increasing our requirements when it comes to parking garages and parking lots on what's needed in terms of better lighting, can landscaping, security, and then we're also going to have PtD go out and provide a feeding system for all those garages. So you as a responsible citizens driving downtown to say, oh, because of an ADC or D, whatever the scale is, this is a safe place that's meeting the security requirements. This isn't right, So caret and a stick approach. But in addition to that, I've been working with CPD and we've started handing out gun space for cars. At the last few home bangals games, that's the home most opener. We had over seventy seven people come up and grab a gun law, and so that's the work I'm trying.
Speaker 3: To do it.
Speaker 1: As a gun owner myself, I like, okay, I think you know, I hate more burden on people like myself because the overwhelming majority, almost all the gunners are responsible people. You know, talk about the guns on the streets and it's getting out there because responsible people are tired of de policing and you know, the lax enforcement of our laws. I got all these laws that I have to buy buy as a Second Amendment rights holder, but and it doesn't feel like the criminal element cares about that they're going to rob my stuff. It's that's the frustration. But I agree. I think that if you're responsible gun, there's gotta be something relative to making sure your gun when it's stored safely, not just in a you know, a console or a glove box or into the seat or see something along those lines. It has to be in a physical safe that that should be by rule. She's council member and I'll be sits on law in public safety, hearing it from citizens yesterday in a meeting, people saying what am I going to tell prospective tenants if they ask if it are going to be safe downtown and people moving out, and it is unraveling when you see gunfire and consecutive and what three over the course of a weekend. Basically we had two shootouts the other one of the other night where someone who was sitting at City Bird and someone pulls out a gun, fires a couple of shots in the window. Still haven't caught the guy yet, And I think we need to make examples of these people. I really really do on that. One of the problems is, as I understand it, as you understand it too, isn't it like people getting off at the metro station of Government Square, and then then that's where the beats start.
Speaker 4: So I think it's lots of you know, people getting off there and more of just how do we spread out kind of the mass of people, if that makes sense. Right, We have a lot of people coming in at once. So that's part of the what the mayor is working with sorta on is, hey, how do we kind of distribute these bus routes a little bit more again, makes it easier for us to have you know, coverage when it comes to officers and all of that. So you know, I'm not I just want to be really clear, there is no part of this so the saying that people use our wonderful public transportation or criminals, that's not what we're saying. But we're trying to use some place based problem solving here, right, And if we're seeing, you know, kind of a cluster of issues happening around one space, how can we spread out the people the bodies right to maybe just use some of the conflict because what I'm under how I understand it is some of these are starting as personal talk with right, Like people are getting into fights and unfortunately they're armed and that's vacillating.
Speaker 1: That's that's what the last two we're talking about worst, you know, just stupid street beefs between people who knew each other.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, and that's where some of the reflections I've been doing frankly, over the past day and a half, it's been it's just been around, how do we, you know, teach conflict resolution. I know that sounds maybe very but you know, how do we help people, even starting in our schools, And these are conversations I've had with our school boards start kind of teaching conflict drives. We have a young age, so people can learn how that's turned down the temperature, sure, because it's just it's just you know, too easy.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, that's true of all of us. But that doesn't fix the now we have. You know, we have adults acting like toddlers and they have guns, and that's the unfortunate part. My point is, and maybe something that should be explored is I'll be honest with you, I and when I talk to cops and others saying, you know, Metro, it's like this funnel and not you're certainly not everyone who's ride the Metro that most people are just trying to get from point A to point being live their lives. But you've got criminal elements on there kind of looking for trouble. We've heard horror stories about metrobus drivers getting shot and everything else. And it largely centers around Metro the Government Square station, and it's such a critical area to our infrastructure that's now spilling over to Fountain Square itself. You know, we have the Fort Washington away underground garage. It's not going used. And I know the cry was, well it's too far from Fountain Square. You know what you need. I'm sorry, But if for me I've closed that Government Square metro station, I'd make it a stop. I'd move everything to Fort Washington a way. You have an entrance and egress points. You can monitor that with cameras, you could have gunspotder technology, face technology. You have a confined area that you can easily police and shut it down if you have to, and you can control who's coming in and coming out. More importantly, keep an eye on people and lock it down if you have to. To get a bad guy with a gun and then run, I don't know, run a shuttle or a bus that looks like a trolley to Fountain Square to get people there. It just seems to me like you got to get that Metro station at Government Square is a problem. I think we got to shut that down and move it.
Speaker 4: I think everything worth discussing for now. It's the kind of changing up the route to disperse that kind of cluster Government Square. So you know, that is a step in the right direction. Again, I want to make sure that in this conversation we're not dehumanizing people run the ride the bus because you know, personally, I feel very passionately that we have a working public transit and infrastructure because it's important right how most people are just getting to their jobs, and it's also how in some of our kids are getting to schools, people getting to you know whatever fun.
Speaker 1: Well, they don't deserve all this. That's the point. You're trying to protect them. We're trying to protect them by saying, hey, listen, we'll just run a We'll run a shuttle to Fountain Square for those people got another bus to Fountain Square. It doesn't seem that hard.
Speaker 4: Yeah, again, I'm open to all these conversations with Metro. You know, they they are the experts on their bus routes. But for now that we are working collaboratively with them on this kind of first step to this. First those bus routes try to spread out the crowds to your point of like what we have too many people kind of concentrate on one spot and just one of those people has to be up to no goods to cause safe issues for everyone. And I think that also comes with frankly, you know, for officers who are down there. You heard from the Chief yesterday talking through art Wet we got to be alert, right, We've got to have our eyes out open for what could be happening. And that's to where you know, we have community advocates who are down there and you know, learning simple kind of this is what a body language triggers of like oh that could be turning into a fight. Being much more aware and picking up on that faster. And that's what I heard from the chief right yesterday and her remarks with the press conference is Okay, we a CPD are going to step up here. We're going to be watching out for that a lot more, and you know, again using our complex resition be escalation skills to make sure those personal fights are not turning into gunfire. That's ultimately where.
Speaker 5: We got it.
Speaker 1: I'll be honest with you. I mean, we can teach it in the schools and all that stuff, but I'm sorry, there's a there's a percentage of the population that are freaking animals. What we saw yes to what we we're talking about. He is animalistic, predatory, sociopathic behavior. There's people out there that are worth saving, but there's some that aren't, and we've got to come to terms of that and segregate them for society because all this, we've got to change them and thick that might happen in another generation or two maybe, but probably not. But we've got to addressed to here and now. The people that are shooting on Fountain Square. I'man a guest that the guy who fired the shots at City Bird probably shouldn't had that gun in the first place, and I would I question the need for more laws if we don't take those people off the streets the minute they use a gun and commission of a crime.
Speaker 4: You and I have no disagreement on people who shouldn't have guns. It should and shouldn't have guns, right If someone's going to be using a firearm that lately for criminal activity, should not have a gun. And that's again why I go back to it would be really great if we actually had background check on every single gun sale beyond just the certified sellers, but you know Facebook, gun sales, things out of people's trunks all that, so we could actually be able to have, you know, a way to enforce, hey, you are a bad guy. You should not have a gun. Right And then in terms of they hear now, that is why we are pulling out all the stops, in terms of our local CPD working on patrol, bringing reinforcements from Ohio State Patrol right to really be out there in the community, watching out for these instances and hopefully intervening before they accalate.
Speaker 1: Let me and I've got just a second here, and I appreciate it. Back on that in the Highway patrol, that's a really good point is from what we heard is is you know, the governor reached out some time ago and we're still waiting for Okay, I guess the Highway Patrol is going to come in and now we have all right, we had another shooting and so now we have SWAT officers. It looks like parts of Gaza now on Fountain Square and this. I don't know. It seems like, okay, now we're doing that and the optics that are tough, But why why don't we if we just brought troopers into enforced the highways, we could have regular cops, more of them on the street. Why are we fighting against the set? Why are we leaning into the state and having more officers more troopers come in so we.
Speaker 4: Do have the troopers coming in helping. I'm going to go back to the crime done.
Speaker 1: There's like two days a month or something stupid like that. That's what's that going to do?
Speaker 4: Helps of our capacity right when we have big busts. I don't know a better technical term than that of you know, these big investigations to take a lot of man so having support, but that does free up our CPD local officers to be out patrolling our neighborhoods. And frankly, I'm gonna be honest when it comes to kind of patrolling in our neighborhoods, I still stand by. You know, sometimes Believe has amazing training when it comes to collaborative agreement, comes to the escalation. They have relationships with our residence too, and that is very very important because having that quest of law enforcement makes a difference when you're interacting in the neighborhoods. So I stand by all of that, But when it comes to these bigger operations, yeah, let's bring in, bring in support and having you know, swat out take control supporting that these like hot spots right now.
Speaker 1: Sure, but again it took too long. I mean, that was something was offered a couple of months ago after you know, after the brawl and went July, and here it is, we're almost in the November at this point, and now we're like, okay, now they're fre We're gonna get them a couple days. It just it just seems like we're I don't know, fighting against law enforcement. Then we just turn around, puts a lot of on the street. How any different is that than having National Guardsmen out there? They look the same.
Speaker 4: Well, National guardsmen are not trained in our collaborative agreement. They're not they don't know our people. And frankly, that the scenes I've seen coming out of Chicago with Ice.
Speaker 1: So I'm not I'm not saying I have the National Guarden saying it. That's what it looks like. It's the same. What's the difference between local squat offers and that as far in the court of public opinion. And yeah, I get the training element, but I think people see that you see paramilitary troopers that are either squat or now it doesn't matter. You've got guys in tactical gears standing on that Fountain Square to intimidate the bad guys. It's the same look.
Speaker 4: I you know, for me, I will say, I don't think living in a police state and this is why I think I'm hearing from me, living in a police state is in our perfect version of safety. And I agree, right, but to your point, like there's a crisis right now and we're doing everything we can, and if you know, four cops standing on Fountain Square wasn't enough, and you know what's the next step. So it's really a balance here, right, I mean, I agree, I don't think having a police date is is where we want to be. But if we are, you know, have so many guns in the street, and we got to bring in help to de escalate and keep those guns, you know, out of the wrong hands. We're going to do it right now because again, like we're digging this all very seriously, and I want to follow up, go back to where you started the conversation in terms of what we heard from public facety public commenters yesterday, following up immediately, in fact, i'd already been my opposite, had already been in contact with one of the gentlemen and got you know, an email after immediately. And we're working quickly here, and I go back to problem solving and how do we address these issues at the spot right We heard.
Speaker 1: Some fo we needed to and I had to touch off, but I got to get going way or away over like she's conc member and I'll be law in public safety. I know we just addressed a lot there, but I appreciate your thoughtful consideration and conversation and the back and forth. It was really good. Hopefully people listen to this and and and the right people listen to this so we get some answered soon because this date, I'll agree with the mayor. It's intolerable for sure. Hey, all the best. Good luck on the campaign. I know you're doing that as well, seeking the reelection and council. Anna. Thanks for coming on the show. Be well, good luck, appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Thanks to take care.
Speaker 1: We got to get the news run the lake. We'll get your reaction to this, so more gun laws will solve this. Well, then let's talk about that coming up next on seven hundred W them Scott's Loan here, seven hundred WL I was gonna have time to get to play some of the Terry Thigi audio. It's Cincinnati's Grandma, Terry Thigi, and she can tell there's frustration with her too. And the press conference after press conference, Scott's Loan here, seven hundred WLW last half Ari Ana Albeyond council member, all be law in public safety. She thought through the testimony, people saying, look, what am I going to tell my tenants people want to rent from me? I own property. I'm a business owner, and I need bodies to move downtown. I don't need bodies moving away from downtown. What do I tell tenants to say? Ask the question am I going to be safe? Will I be safe? I don't have an answer for that, or people going listen, I tried. I mean, I bought into Cincinnati and the urban thing, and I just I can't do it anymore. It's just the dangers all over the place. And are people say, well, statistically it's fine, Well, you don't live in statistics, do you? And That's why another reason I hate numbers, I hate the statistics it is because of that. It's like, well, yeah, I don't live in statistics, man, I know what I see. Same thing when you watch a football game, Mberrow and Joe Flack will make a completion that had a one point two percent chance of being successful. Okay, then why would you throw that ball? So the numbers are always what they are, right, And it's perception. And I'm sorry when I see people shooting across Fountain Square at each other. When I see some guy recognizing someoney at a beef with and he settles beef by pulling out a gun and shooting rounds through cityberg Chicken on Fountain Square and then runs away like it's just me and him. It's our world. You know, the time for programs and the time for feel goods. And I'm sorry that's over. You got at some point, you got split wigs. That's what this is. And Fiji said yesterday and it's about time that what they're gonna do is restore broken windows policing, which basically means we're going after the little stuff. We see you jaywalking, we see you smoking a joint, we see you doing something that technically is we're gonna make contact with you. Screw Iris rallying her feels the hell with her, this is what we're gonna do. And then how about this other element instead of and she proposed that we need more gun laws. We do not need more gun laws. We don't need more laws restricting the Again, most Americans ninety nine percent plus are completely law abiding and use their guns responsibly. And I get it. We've got a lot of guns out there because every time we propose more gun laws, people buy more guns. And the same thing happens in Cincinnati. Okay, well, why do we have so many guns on the street. We have so many guns on the street because when people go downtown who have to liver work there, they're scared because of stuff like this. Because you've ignored the problem for so long, May and largely progressives and Democrats. You've forgotten and you know all the programs and the money, we're fun and we're doing well. We can't. We can't have ostracized kids. And they're young kids and they deserve a chance. I'm sorry, when you pick up a gun, your chances are over. Enough of this nonsense, and because of all this death and destroy and the threat of somebody like Ruby's pulling out of downtown. Can you imagine and people moving out of downtown And now all of a sudden's like, well, you know all these feel good things that we thought were good in theory in reality like that, it doesn't work. So now we got to split wigs. Good. We should be doing that. We should be doing that. But the idea that we have more gun laws, well, okay, great, we have gun laws, and people are coming downtown because they're scared they have guns, and their signs up saying don't bring your gun anywhere, So I leave at my car, and then people are breaking into cars because they know that's where the guns are. It's a self fulfilling prophecy. How do you end that thing? You start making examples of the people are committing gun crimes. When somebody cuts an ankle monitor off, You don't wait a month, two weeks, a year later and go, well we'll get you, and you get you. Well maybe they'll turn themselves in. You go and you get a task force and you bring them to justice. Like I said, how many times is it? This twenty four year old it's not his first time of the road. You guarantee it. You just don't wake up one day and pull out a gun and shoot at someone. They's got to have prior. There's no almost willing to bet the house that that guy is restricted from having a gun. He's under disability. I mean he had a prior felony at twenty four. He shouldn't have that gun. Well, we got to pass laws to make sure people like that. No, what we have to do is take people like that and go you go to prison for thirty years for that, like we used to. But then, oh, but you know society people are there's backlash and this is what happens when you don't do that. It's exactly what happens when you don't do that. And now you know they're throwing out how many more adjectives is aft to have? Pure hole going to use? Today's at the adjective it's like Sesame Street with Grover not The adjective of the day is intolerable. Yeah, okay, great, and tomorrow will be something else, a bond ball or you're gonna run out eventually. It's significant changes are coup after violence downtown? What are they doing? They're having swat in the Civil Disturbance Response Team, and okay, what we don't want is the National Guard here, and we don't want the State of Ohio here because it makes us look bad. What's the optics of having Thursday night football in Cincinnati downtown. They show that shot of Fountain Square and what you see are I'm sorry, paramilitary troops that are SWAT officers. There's a bit of a difference there. I get that, but I'm sorry someone the average person looks at someone an individual who's got tactical gear on, got a vest, you're all strapped down, you got your tactical helmet on, you got your visors, you're carrying a long gun. You're standing on Fountain Square. People see that and go paramilitary. They don't go, oh, that's just a SWAT officer versus a National guardsman versus. No, they're going to go Cincinnatie is dangerous AF That's what people think. But I'll talk about the fields and well, we'll use our swat officers. They're different, and it all looks the same to me. Baby. And you guys did this. You did this, AFTAB, the policies that you stand behind did this. Five three seven, The big one talk back iHeartRadio app and you can look at you can also drop that and if you're listening on the stream, you stream the show be the iHeart Radio app on that is a Harry on the show. Good morning, good morning. Uh you heard the words of council Member Anna. I'll be on this the shooting downtown. Ruby's may pull out at some point if this just kind of behavior continues. We have SWAT officers to me, look like National Guardsmen patrolling the center of our city. And yet I'm hearing about how we need more gun laws and we need more programs. Enough of the nonsense. You got to start splitting wigs, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: Oh, most definitely. Yeah, I've listened to that conversation. I wanted to drive my car off a bridge. The judges don't profit. If the judges don't take care of getting people off the street when presented with the facts, then the number of guns are just going to continue to.
Speaker 1: Be where they are. There's a question to somebody, you.
Speaker 5: Put them in jail.
Speaker 6: That's a gun off the street.
Speaker 5: But I think, but I've had.
Speaker 1: A gun off the street. That's a person who's going to use the gun. And Commission of a crime off the street. And furthermore, if you have someone who has an ankle monitor, they caught off and we'll I'll just catch you later. How many more people are going to needlessly become victims of crime, and often violent crime and often homicide if we continue that behavior. We don't need laws. We need mortal laws. We needed to damn enforce the laws that we already have.
Speaker 6: Oh, there's no question. And I wonder if that particular council person has ever stood at Government Square at four o'clock in the afternoon and watched what goes on there. Per thing about people are taking the buses and getting them off the Government Square primarily to go to work. It's a bunch of nonsense. Okay, I worked downtown. That's not what goes on on Government Square. Yes, there are people that go there to use the buses to go to work, correct, But there's a whole bunch of other people that are just there.
Speaker 1: Yep, yeah, there are, And you know it does it's not all the people. And you know, we gotta be careful how you just shut it down because you have school kids, you know, using metro, you have people who are commuting using metro, and then of course you have people up to no good using Metro. And I just don't understand why do we have to have that bus station at Government Square, Because they the people that are causing trouble come out and then they shoot at each other. They cause problems. There's violence all the time around that Metro stop. It happens all the Why not move the damn thing to the Fort Washington Way Garage. It's underground first of all, so you stay dry, but you also have you can also monitor the entrance and exits, the ingress and egress points. And then if somebody does something stupid in there, you spot somebody, you could put cameras up there to have technology that spots the gun inside your clothing. You can have offices there intercepting people. Then if you have to lock it down, you've got to point in point B to do that, and that's going to deter that crime. And if people have to commute to Fountain Square, why not run some shuttles that look like street cars and run bus lines to Fountain Square to get the commuters there. It seems to me that's where we need to move it as away from from Fountain Square and move it to an area that could be better monitored.
Speaker 6: Seloy, You're using logic, and logic doesn't enter into the conversation when you're dealing with politicians. All you did is word salad with ideas, but no gumption to move on these ideas.
Speaker 1: That's the problem. It's also the fear of backlash from other progressives that say you're just causing more problems and you're ostracizing people and you're labeling them. It's more of the iris rally stuff. Harry, thanks the call to Brian in Mount Auburn on the Scott Sloan share a show seven under WW Brian High.
Speaker 5: Hey Scott, how you doing.
Speaker 1: I'm doing well. We got well.
Speaker 2: We lived down Pound for twelve years and back in March we moved to Mount Auburn and a big part of that was what was happening downtown. I mean, we still walk to downtown, we still go support the places we always have, but at night, we just wanted to feel safe when walked in the dog or something like that.
Speaker 3: And listening to the.
Speaker 2: Council memory had on when you brought up the fact that we're not enforcing the judges aren't enforcing.
Speaker 5: The laws that are play that's a huge part of it.
Speaker 2: We have family and that are CPD.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hey, yeah, Brian, Brian, apologize, I'm losing your sales fading out there, but I get the crutch what you're saying. I appreciate listening to show and check it in this morning, and yeah, I hear about you know, hey, we need to try to reform people and get them at a younger Okay, great, but that's that's way down the line. You're talking about what five, six, seven, eight year olds. I'm talking about twenty four year olds going shooting rounds to the window at City Bird. I mean, it's a little late for the programs in the fields. Okay, let's put that in stel. I'm one hundred percent with you. But when people like that, and I almost willing to bet that that twenty four year old gut in the white T shirt, that that guy has had priors, that they know who that is, that he's going to come back and he's going to have a jacket. I don't know how thick it is, but there's gonna be something in that jacket. It's going to show you that he shouldn't have a gun in the first place. So I'm sorry, we need more laws and tougher gun laws. What is that going to do for people who simply don't care that they're going to shoot someone they had a beef with in the in broad daylight. I mean, we had a gunfight across Fountain Square to a guy in a car and guy in Founain Square just shooting at the guy in the car during rush hour. But how many laws did you break right there? Do you think they cared? They don't. And that's what we just need more tougher laws. And we got to do something about all these guys. Now, we got to do something about the a holes that are ruined for ninety nine point nine percent of the rest of the population. Target them quick, screw their feelings and lock them up. I don't care how old they are, Get them the hell off the street. Thanks for the call. We'll switch it up. We'll get to a news update here in just seconds and then, uh, health care is in crisis right now. One of my favorite topics to talk about, because we're seeing this government shutdown on day fifteen, and there's a solution for this, and because not shutting down, the government's actually legislators doing their jobs, and that is fixing healthcare in Democrats and Republicans both the blind because Democrats right now are shutting this down because when we want more subsidy, and subsidy just means something costs too much. And Republicans don't have a plan at all to fix health care. How about you do this? How about instead of giving money away and ignoring it, why do you get together and figure out why our healthcare costs so much and how we get so little out of it? Maybe some answers just ahead with an actual physician who sees this first hand. He's next in the show seven hundred WWT Cincinnata.
Speaker 3: We want to.
Speaker 1: Scott flown back on seven hundred WLW. As the government shut down continues over healthcare subsidies, it illustrates just how broken our system is, and not yet uniformly broken, not beyond repair. I mean, let's face, it's still an American any thing's perspective. You know, people still get excellent care, People still come here from other countries to get medical care. Medical innovation thrives in America. Way times are shorter than in single pair systems. But I'm an less face at the cost the access the people who are left in and excluded from it. That's really the problem with striving things in America, and there's consequences for our broken healthcare system what it means for ordinary families on that is doctor Peter Cowie. He's a cardiologist and public health expert and joins the show now to discuss on seven hundred WLW Doctor Kylie. Welcome, How are you, Scott?
Speaker 5: Thanks for having me and I appreciate the invitation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think this is extremely lebant now that we fight over healthcare subsidies and you know, you know, there are a number of Americans that are dependent upon that and working people who are working multiple jobs in order to try and survive today, and they need healthcare. It's not provided by their employer, and so ACA fills that void. They get high scores for that. But you know, to act like somehow it makes it a affordable it doesn't. Because the tremendous amount of subsidy that's at stake here. You continue to subsidize things, it distorts what the costs really are. And it really it just glosses over a broken system in that regard, doesn't it absolutely?
Speaker 5: You know, we have two populations that are at risk here. One is obviously the uninsured, but there's a gigantic proportion of our population who are underinsured, so they have to pay large deductibles, they have to pay a lot of out of pocket expenses when they seek medical care. Those are the people who are really at risk here, and of course, with the reduction in the subsidies, their premiums look like they're going to go through the roof.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we have lawmakers breaking away. I mean, Taylor Green from Georgia, you should saying, lo, listen. You know I've got family members that rely on subsidies on the Affordable Care Act in order to provide they're working a few jobs. I have family members that are like that right now. You know this is a US against them and we must you know, it's because it's Obamacare. It must be destroyed. It's propping up or broken in defunct system, and something needs to be done because the future is not looking bright. And you're right about that, in failure to treat what this really means for ordinary families as things continue the way they are. The broad picture on this, though, doctor Cowie is Here's what I don't understand, right, is that we have a not a good system was is what Medicare and Medicaid and the Affordable character and Obamacare and things are being propped up and subsidized, and it's ugly and it doesn't work. The other side of it, it's I don't see many ideas come out of the Republicans though, when it comes to a better solution for this, other than well, you know, it's socialized medicine, and we can't have that. What's the solution.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so you're entirely correct, we can't. We have a patchwork system right now. We have people trying to get help insurance in several different directions, and as we've already said, at very high costs. It really is going to come down, unfortunately, to a debate about whether we should as a country, as a civilization here, but just say everybody has to have affordable health care, and in whatever form that's going to take. You've heard the term Medicare for all. That may be a little bit large in terms of how much that would cost and whether it could be implemented. But the truth of the matter is that until we get to the point that we all agree that.
Speaker 7: This is not this is not.
Speaker 5: A luxury, this is a necessity that we need to provide affordable health care for all of our citizens. Until we grasp that concept, I'm afraid that the system is not going to get fixed in the alley.
Speaker 1: The overwriting story here regards of where you stand politically on this effect is it doesn't. I think everyone agrees in Republican Democrats know that it doesn't work the way it is, and it's something has to give because we spend what twice as much per person on healthcare as other countries who are wealthy and something like thirteen thous thirteen grand per person anually spend on healthcare, and a lot of those people don't use healthcare. We're talking about younger people who don't use healthcare as much as older people do, and we're not getting any better outcomes. Number one cause of personal bankruptcy medical bills. That's no future for a that's still a recipe for future success.
Speaker 5: I should say no, We're spending four and a half trillion dollars a year on healthcare in the United States, projected in twenty thirty five to be closer to nine trillion dollars on healthcare, and yet, as you just said, and I completely agree, we sit at the bottom in ranks of civilized countries in terms of almost any healthcare outcome measure you want to use, infant mortality, life expectancy. It is not a system that's working, but we've the resource. You're preamble by the way, I really appreciate it because you're right, you.
Speaker 3: Know you can.
Speaker 5: The glass isn't completely empty half empty. There's a lot of really good things about our healthcare system. The problem is access. The problem is allowing people to get into the system so that they can take advantage of this wonderful technology and innovation that we have here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we saw the murder of the CEO of United Healthcare, and the reaction that I saw from a number of people is sickening that we're celebrating the death of a CEO of a company like he is the one driving this problem people. And I get it, you know, it's a metaphor for the system that's broken. But I don't understand celebrating someone's assassination basically is what happened here? What does that tell you about where're and how much of that has to do? And I get it, you know, insurance companies and insurers they stand the most to gain by well what the Democrats want. A lot of this money is going to go to Uh. If you subsidize anything, what happens is you just it just costs you more. College is a great example. You know, we subsidize college. Everyone has to go to college free college money grants tuition on the thing, and college is raised the Okay, we'll just going to charge more because more people have It's more money and it's artificial. You have to pay it. The same thing is true here, isn't it.
Speaker 5: Yeah? I agree entirely. What you saw with the reaction to that unfortunate event is how angry people are. I mean, I think what you saw was a reflection of their frustration and their anger with dealing with healthcare insurance companies that they really don't care about you. I mean, they've advertise on television how much they care, and the truth of the matter is they don't. I don't know if you saw recently, Scott, that a number of companies, including Medicare as well, are now going to go to pre certification done by artificial intelligence. Now think about that. Think about that your doctor orders a test and some computer is going to make a decision as to whether or not you can get that test done or not. I mean, that's the level of the absurdity that's going on with pre certification, for example, or denials of care. And in the books failure to treat their numerous examples of the stories about people who suffered really severe harm because of what happens with their medical insurance system as it currently exists.
Speaker 1: Oh, you don't have to look far to find those examples that you know, there's the things that you think are covered and they try to find a way not to cover it, or you know, it's almost a it's hard enough when your child, for example, as you know doctor Cowie is ill and you're trying to get them treatment for something like pediatric cancer, heart or some sort of serious illness like that, and then you're waging a war with the insurance company on top of that. It seems punitive.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And don't believe that the doctors aren't advocating. I mean, my office spends almost a full fte just dealing with insurance companies to get certification for procedures, and they put you on hold for a couple of hours and you have to wait there until they've decided to come on the phone, and then when they deny something, you have to go into a complicated system of trying to appeal to appeal the decision, and you have to go up in the ladder to what they call a peer review and talk to somebody who's who may not even be in your specialty to make a decision about coverage. So the system is rotten. Okay, it's a rotten system, and unfortunately we're we've adapted to where we tried to live with it. But it has to it has to change.
Speaker 1: Well we've heard that for a long time, though, what is going to be the change agent here? Is it going to be one extreme case? One extreme example? Kind of like you know, when we have a I don't know terror attack, everything changed after nine to eleven? Do we need like a medical nine to eleven to occur? And what would that look like?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, you know, I wonder I wondered this myself. You know, I used to think that when the Sandy Hook shootings occurred and all those children were massacred, that that was going to stimulate change in the gun laws. And it didn't.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 5: It almost rised the level of absurdity of what you need to do to convince legislators. And that's where this has to come from.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 5: We need we need major changes in our regulation of insurance companies and laws. What's a going to take to get these people off the dime and make them understand that we need to move forward and make the system better.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I thought of the Sandy hook, but I don't know if I entirely agree that, because there you have Okay, you have a second Amendment. We have second membright to arm ourselves and that is a I don't think European countries understand the Second Amment, how powerful it is and what you can do. And we put a lot of laws in place to again keep guns on the hands of criminals, but also impacts most people don't guns, are law abiding citizens. And there's also a mental health component. Use a physician know that, And you know what about people who commit domestic violence acts? And well we have HIPPA but we can't disclose. And when you fill out your Federal Firearms form, you know you may have mental health issues, but you're not going to admit it, or maybe you don't know what you think the rest of the world's crazier and you're normal and you go, yeah, I'm perfectly fine, and then they go on a mass shooting. But there's none of that in play here. You don't have that. But when you have both sides agreeing right that the healthcare system is broken needs to be fixed, there's no hey, there's an amendment that says you're not entitled to healthcare, or there's no opposition. Is we all agree in the same thing, and yet we can't do anything to me. That's the most frustrating part about this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I completely agree that they're not analogy necessarily analogous. However, think about this that the Republicans are denying the fact right now, they're denying the fact that cutting Medicaid and Medicare in the big beautiful Bill. They're denying the fact that that is going to cause a disaster in American medicine when everybody knows that it's going to Hospitals are already teeter tottering, right. I mean, the majority of hospitals in this country are operating in the red. Seventeen percent of hospitals last year either bankrupted or came close to bankruptcy. And these are royal hospitals, creating these healthcare deserts. I mean, if the Medicaid thing goes in to effect and the hospitals can no longer rely on that revenue, it could actually be a complete catastrophe. The Republicans need to know that, but they're they're in denial.
Speaker 1: Would that be the medical nine eleven we're talking about.
Speaker 5: I think absolutely, Scott, that could be the disaster that finally wakes people up. But the problem is that once it happens, yeah, getting reversing it that may take years, and people are going to die because of it.
Speaker 1: I have a family in rural Ohio. You listening you might have that as well, or like at least you know someone because you know, we're in a big city. We're in Cincinnati, Ohio. We have Columbus, we have Cleveland. We have mid sized cities like Dayton and Toledo and elsewhere in our listening area. But the bulk of all eighty eight counties are pretty rural in Ohio. And I've seen firsthand clinics and hospitals closed because they just don't have the people coming in and can't afford the staffing and everything, all the compliance and everything else in order to operate a modern hospital. There's just it's not profitable. And I know a lot of people cringe at the state taking over health care, but I don't know can this be? And we tell you, yeah, I look, well we know healthcare. We've seen hospitals clothed in rural areas. It's happening as we speak right now. It doesn't get to play simply because it's flyover country. People lose all their healthcare, they lose all hope. At that point, we're going to have people dying of things that were easily fixable just weeks and months and years ago as opposed to to right now. And at some point that it's going to come to a tipping point because you're right, these hospitals can't run profitable. But you look, listen to this can goa a minute. If every man wanted a child, we're spending like thirteen thousand dollars plus on average for our healthcare system. It's not that we're not spending money. Where's the money going?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, Well what's going into the pockets of people like in private equity for example, they're taken over a lot of these hospital systems and manage to bankrupt them and close them for profit. But if you recall in the book It's a Failure to Treat, there's a story about a baby and a parents who were trying to get their baby to a hospital in a rural early This is an affluent couple. This isn't just about this isn't just about indigen people. This is everybody trying to get the baby to a hospital. And when they pull up to the emergency room, the hospital had closed and they ended up having another drive another twenty five miles to get to a hospital. By the time they got there, the baby was beyond fix shame and died. And these are true stories. This is a true story of what can happen in our healthcare system. And you're right. If that starts happening on a big, high level, big scale, it could be it could be the Army Eddon that you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I get the private equity element too, But they come in and go, hey, listen, you know you're not profitable. We'll buy a stake, we'll buy you out, we'll take you out. And of course they're about squeezing the last remaining dollars out there. And that is the nature of how our enterprises, the conditions in which we engage in America today, of course, is capitalism, and that's the ugly side of it, to be sure. But you know, it used to be a government be kind of like a referee in these things, and that's long since gone away with modern politics the way it is. He is, Peter Cowie's a cardiologist, public health expert. Failure to Treat as the book and where things are headed here with our broken healthcare system that both Republicans and Democrats agree on, it's broken and has to change. There's got to be a change ageing company. He believes it's going to be more healthcare deserts, meaning rural hospital shutting down and people dying, uh, largely from trauma. I mean, you're telling me that people can literally bleed out because there's no physician or emergency room to treat them in a rural area. And we're talking about people who are farmers a lot of agricultural areas. And as we take the information super Highway and put it more rural areas because of the technology, what we'll see people who have met in a motor vehicle accident or you know, cut themselves of the saw that wind up dying is what you're saying, when just a few weeks ago they could go to the clinic and get sutured up. That's kind of it's and it's like an almost third world It sounds like, uh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, you know, there are many areas you write about absolutely right about trauma. Think about obstetrical obstetrical care. How many hospitals not they might not necessarily close, but they've closed their obstetrical programs. So women have no place to deliver their baby. And there's many reasons for that. For the reasons we just discussed. There are financial issues, but there's also liability. Now doctors are not going into obstetrics. We have a severe shortage of obstetrical physicians in the United States, especially in the West and the Midwest. And so you're a woman, you're going to deliver your baby, you have to drive fifty miles to find someplace where they'll deliver your baby for you.
Speaker 1: Think about that, How a lie you can hang on after your water breaks.
Speaker 5: Right, I mean, it's insane, but that's exactly what's happening. And the thing that's really maddening about this is that the public does occasionally take notice of this stuff, but they hadn't risen up to the extent that I thought that they might. And the book is really kind of a clarion call for people, the public as well as practitioners to speak up, to talk to their legislators, to make sure that they understand that this is an issue that they really have to deal with.
Speaker 1: He's doctor Peter Cowie's cardiologists public health expert. The book is a failure to treat and what things look like maybe in a not so future dystopian future for that matter. It sounds dystopiing to me and like the stuff of movies, but this is reality. If things continue to go the way they are, the question is who wakes up and says, all right, we got to blow this thing up. You know, government subsidized healthcare costs way more money, and they tell me subsidize something. It becomes grossly more inefficient and really doesn't help those who would serve to help, because, let's face it, the insurance companies, the middle men, are the ones taking the money from the government.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: As the holdout continues on the other side, if we just go, well, you know what, we can't have socialized medicine, Well, what's your alternative? Well nothing. Maybe the simple solution is as simply, and I've said this for a long time, the easiest thing to be doctor Cowie, would be to take away the burden for providers like yourself. Imagine if you don't have to employ an entire team behind the scenes for medical billing, coding, Medicare, Medicaid and all that nonsense, and just go Listen, you get sick, here's how much it cost us, pay it or get for castropic situations, just give catastrophic insurance and pay that much like you do your homeowners, your auto insurance, your life insurance. Go to a system like that and get your employer the hell of a business providing healthcare. I think would solve the problem.
Speaker 5: I think what you're suggesting has tremendous merit, and there are many people who believe that you're correct that we've created an infrastructure of health insurance companies administrators. We have more administrators in our hospital than we have nurses. Yeah, to get rid of this gigantic infrastructure that we probably don't need and return to some kind of a more simplistic approach to payment. And I completely agree with your catastrophic insurance for those situations where things get a little out of control and you're very ill. But yeah, it's going to take people to wake up and have a little common sense about this, and hopefully the book and your radio program will get people motivated in the right.
Speaker 1: All we have to do is eliminate the administrative and bureaucratic class. That's a problem. It's too big in in medica a medical, it's too big in government, it's too big in schools. You name where the problem is. It's because we've got a bloated administrative and bureaucratic class. That's the problem. All the best, Doc, good luck with the book.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I appreciate it very much, Scott, all right.
Speaker 1: Thanks again.
Speaker 2: Soon.
Speaker 1: It's a news update just a few minutes there, the very latest, what's going on. Of course, he violence in on Fountain Square first and foremost this morning, and I go and I'll hear more adjectives from the mayor. We'll find out if any of the sas teeth whatsoever. I'm asked Denise Dreehouse about this coming up at eleven oh six to some degree, because we're talking about putting the old arena where they are the new arena where the old arena is Heritage Bank Center and does what does this say about the violence downtown and how does that impact the banks and what we're trying to do all the positive stuff we're trying to do with the arena project, among other things, as well as a convention center. She's at eleven oh six. Well close than that though. Up next Julie Bouki, Julie on the Job We talk career related stuff, a little break from the reality of life, and maybe some advice and news you can use. Next seven hundred WLW Scotts Lunchia.
Speaker 7: And barricades have given way to handshakes and handovers as Israel and Hamas six change hostages in a transaction of trust, with diplomacy being resurrected from the rubble. Will it hold or will the conflict continue? Keep it here for the latest updates on seven hundred WLW tri.
Speaker 1: State Board Buyers.
Speaker 7: Helping you navigate the rocky path of fulfilling employment.
Speaker 1: Here's our career shipa. Julie Bouki's all right with the economy and just the job market titane. You can really feel it, especially among graduates. And then you throw Ai into the mix, and what does that mean for future jobs, graduates and like and enjoining the show this morning is that Julie Bouki our career, Shirpa, welcome, how are you, good morning, how are you sar well? Thank you. So typically it was hey, it used to be just go get a degree. It's fine, go have fun, get good, good grades, and we'll this whole thing out. Or you know, back when I was a student, it was more like, okay, well you know, and you knew people that change majors like eleven times are probably still in school. But back then it wasn't as not affordable as today today. You've got to a plan going in. You just can't figure it out as you go along, as generations past have done, even more so with AI.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and the plan can't be send junior off someplace at eighteen for four years and then when he or she pops out at twenty two, they've got a great job and a great career path waiting for them. And those those days are gone. And the challenge is with parents getting our kids understand that. I love this article on the Wall through Journal talking about it's hard to give career advice to your kids these days. Of course, I had to laugh at that and say like they were ever listening. You know, we want them to start thinking ahead, start being prepared. And it's really hard when you're a teenager in late teens, early twenties to have that ability to see ahead and to see that the world has changed and you're going to have to join the workforce and exist in a different way. In the past, we joined a company and we did all of our learning there. We got trained, we bumped our head, we were successful, we weren't successful, We moved around, and we did it all inside of a four wall sort of metaphorically. But we are in a place now where kids are going to have to learn to maneuver from chapter to chapter and each chapter might look different from the last one, and so the ability to do that, that's really if you've got teenagers right now, the three things that I'm suggesting that you really work with them on or focus on is helping them build out there what we call soft skills. How do you can customer service, talking to people, problem solving, doing something that's hard and feels uncomfortable. Can you stand in front of a room and that's something those we call them soft skills that those are really the ones that companies that are really desiring right now.
Speaker 6: Because we talked.
Speaker 8: I know, we talked last week about AI and AI will replace some jobs, but for the most part, what it's going to do is it's going to impact how jobs you're done. Won't replace you, but it'll change maybe how you work. And so therefore you have to be better at those people skills, communicating, listening, problem solving, you know, being a decent person to work with. Those things are going to become magnified in terms of their importance.
Speaker 1: That's something that AI can't do. It can't act. At some point, there's there's gonna be you know, let's face it, growing number of jobs where there's no human interaction. But there's still plenty out there in the service sector.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: I just thinking of this, Julie, because the fear is AA. My daughter's studying and she's like realizing, like you know what I'm studying, it's in the computer field. It's like, AI is probably going to take this job into your future. I got to pivot and so I see what classes I have and I can change and move and she's being I think that's a smart move and may delay graduation a semester. But you know, okay, let's not get a degree in something that's worthless. Let's not do that. At the same time, she's also her income and she's a server and that's why she's paying for school and so. But she's learning though, So I think that's important, right, is they we don't want our kids to work, We want them to play sports, and we'll pay for everything. And you know, not all parents are that way. But I think having that service job where you're in front of people and you're having to deal with, you know, problematic customers and managers and schedules, and that trains you for what we're talking about here. If you spend your entire life just in front of a screen, you have no soft skills at all. You have to learn by interacting with human beings.
Speaker 8: Yes, and you said something really important there when you were talking about your daughter, So that she's taking she's in a technology field, working on her degree, and that's great, but even if parts of that are going to be impacted by AI. What she's doing, what she's modeling is and understanding and inter some technology and are willing to learn. And then you said flexible, flexible, adaptable, Another super important skills. Because if she is showing right now, look she's if she is, I look at that and I say, okay. If I was working with her to tell her story, I say, okay. I enjoyed learning about technology. I understand that things are going to change, but the basis and everything I've learned, I think it's going to help me learn more quickly whatever comes my way. In addition, I have worked as a server and a lot of customer service roles that have really taught me how to deal with all kinds of people from the general public to you know, more senior level people. And that combination really is what companies are looking for. And so that flexibility, adaptability, learn soft skills, the ability to learn, and then some level of comfort with technology. You know, we didn't do that in my day is never going to got it ever ever again, No, you have to learn.
Speaker 1: But that's the thing, is Okay. So if you're the parent of a student, or you're a student, or you're headed off to college student side, how do I know that AI is going to take this job over? Is there a letmus test for this or we just don't know?
Speaker 8: Well, you don't, And I think that's I heard one of probably one of the most prolific prognosticators on this kind of stuff being asked this question on a call in show and he said, I have no idea. Because the mom was asking how do I guide my young sons who are getting ready for college in a couple of years, and he said, I have no idea, But he said, in actence the same thing I did. The ability to learn, the ability to communicate effectively, the ability to fall in your face and get back up. That those are the things that at least as we speak today, AI cannot replace. And so it's as you have teenagers junior high high school, you know, maybe you know, insist that they get out there and get their hands dirty working with the general public, babysitting, working a don, walking the dogs, whatever it is, that being a caddy is wonderful experience for interacting with people. Don't get so caught up in they have to take every single AP class offered. And I think also from a parental standpoint, we have to get off of our there's only one right way past. And if your son or daughter is really showing an interest in working with their hands in the sort of the industrial type arts, or really, you don't have to go, oh good, you can be a blah blah blah engineer at that point when they start to show with their interest in it, and listen to them and make sure they take advantage of everything their high school offers in order to get clear on what direction they should point. They're not going to stay in that direction forever, but at least gives them solid footing to begin their career. Prom and don't the colleges are not doing this for your kids, so you have to it has to start young, and don't and really listen to what they want to do. And maybe they're not expressing it in the right word, but what they are doing, the things they gravitate towards the things they enjoy, their hobbies, all those things are clues about what they enjoy and so how do you take that and then translate that? And it's not a one and done process, and they're going to have many, many chapters in their careers.
Speaker 1: Julie Balki Our career short, but jumps on the show every Wednesday morning, breaks up a little talking correlated stuff in AI. How rough time for grads right now? But now I'm going to school and like, am I going to have a job in a year or two or three when I graduate in a field that AI is going to destroy? I mean, we always talk about how people born today are going to take jobs that have yet to be created. Now we have people that are close to graduating that are not going to get a job because it was here and then it's gone because of AI. It's really weird and you at the same time, you know, in school, we saw this during COVID, especially with you know, zoom and collaborating and everything else. But today we're telling students in school not to use AI. You've got to learn this material. And then okay, well I go to college and I'm going to need to have AI skills when I graduate. That's kind of a mixed message, isn't it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, and we've talked about this in the past, how companies are just so fed up with applicants using AI for everything to write the resumes, come up with answers to the potential interview questions, and so we're you know, the pendulum is swing and this is all still being figured out. But when you're out there, so okay, go ahead, let chat GPT, write your resume, but don't stop there, go and read it, look at it and say, okay, is this really? Is this really telling my story? Is this language I would use when I show up for an interview? Is this resume going to sound like me? You've got to put another layer over that, which is really what is you know?
Speaker 6: Who are you?
Speaker 8: And if everybody's using cat GPT to write the resumes, you aren't going to stand out. And so this isn't about and so I think it's the same with using gp GPT for anything. Don't rely it, rely it, rely it for the finished product, help you to help you get started, to fast start, and then refine from there. I think that's where when we're when we're using it just because we don't want to put the work in, or we don't want to do the hard thinking around a project or a resume or cover letters or whatever it is, that's when it starts to really really backfire because employers, and you know, whether it's employer you're interviewing with or someone you work with, can see right through that.
Speaker 1: I know AI can't replace the trades.
Speaker 8: That's true, but it will change how they're done, yeah, how they interact with customers. You know, so yeah, it's not going to retreat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but if you've got to you know, put a you know, sweats and plumber, put a press fitting in something you plumbing for example, you still have to do the plumbing. AA is not go did Now you may be able to use AI to do calculations and runs and stuff. Oh, that's a little different matter, but the physical nature of it until we build an AI robot that can replace a human being to build stuff that and we should And unfortunately, parents I think are waking up going, wait a minute, you're spending all this money and you know, we still have to subsidize you when you're a young adult. You should be on your own. That's not all, but that's too many. And I think parents are finally realized and there's no stigma in gaining your kids and something like that.
Speaker 8: Nope, nope. And then we're making progress there. And sometimes it's just driven by by need, you know, by demand, and to the point that we can't keep our head in the sand anymore.
Speaker 1: Well, we're still going to need people in stems, I mean science, math, Oh, gotcha, We're still going to need people with you know, if you have a business degree, you're still going to be fine. Now, am I change that a lot? But you still you can do a lot with a business degree.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, absolutely. It's a broad set of skills and knowledge that every business that looks to run a profit or even a nonprofit is going to benefit from those skills. So it's being broadly skilled, being open to learn, being eager to jump in and take on something new, and not being afraid of falling on your face. That's really what that's really in a nutshell, eployers are looking for, and we're not preparing young people, especially for the failing and getting out there and screwing up part. It's like we you know, as parents, we too many parents look at this as if you fail at something, and the fail I use the word loosely, but if you don't do well at something or something doesn't go your way, it's a direct reflection on me as a parent.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, and it's really not I mean, we still have that stigma of going to you know, people where in the mom and dad university vanity stickers on the minivans there are probably my kids oh Harvard Mom. Okay, great, it doesn't make you a better person. Now if your kid goes, Hi, are you going to go to an ivy league. I'm not diminishing that at all. It's congratulations. But there's a lot of people whose values of parents wrapped up in that that's unfortunate.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, yes, very much associate it all the time.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we do.
Speaker 1: Julie Balki our career.
Speaker 9: Sure.
Speaker 1: On the Scott's Loan Show. She jumps in every Wednesday morning. She's at the Bauki group dot com. Her team ready to work for you. Maybe you're going through job change. Maybe uh again. You do your work with college students as well, too, right, or even high schools.
Speaker 8: Yeah, young people or very young people like that. We have worked with the very mature juniors and seniors in college to help them prepare for what's next. Its actually, it's fun. They're really fun. They're very creative. I think we don't give them enough credit. They're so skilled in so many different ways that we just didn't value or having valued as much as we should. So, yeah, we're even working with juniors and seniors in college.
Speaker 1: No, they're not. They're just putting your questions into AI and getting an answer. What's wrong with you?
Speaker 8: No, they're not things you can't fake you.
Speaker 1: Know, yeah, we know exactly. You know, you kind of know when you're sitting down face to face and talking to someone, there's eye contact, there's all these things. That's why I'm a big proponent of working when you're younger and having a job in college or high school because the soft skills, the people skills, learning how to interact with folks, and so many young people today, not all of them, but far too many don't have the ability. It's like they've got to look at the screen and you know, talk in one hundred and forty one hundred and forty characters less. And I work with people like that and go, man, you got to have some ability to hold a conversation. Look somebody, the eyes, shake their hand, interact and that feels like it's a dying art and it's gonna be the cornerstone what we do in the future. You want to sep yourself, separate yourself from AI, then you have to have those skills.
Speaker 8: Yeah, absolutely, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Julie all the Bessel Chat next week, right, Yes, we will take care. She's at the Bauki Group Bauk bukiegroup dot com. We've got lots going on in the city, of course, and a lot of bad things are happening, a lot of good stuff. We've got the Thursday Night Football crew in town, so Cincinnati will be featured on Thursday Night Football Bengals Steelers will have the game for you with Dan and lap here on the Home of the Best Bengals coverage seven hundred WLW. My fear though, is when they shoot shoot the glamour shots of downtown and they show Fountain Square, are we going to see a swat officer standing there guarding the Genius of statue, the Genius of water statue from Aaron bullets striking the bronze. I mean literally steps away from what they're going to show on Thursday Night. Tomorrow night will be a window with a bullet hole in it. At City Chicken. Of course, we had gunplay steps away from that the day before, days before anyway, where some people who had a beef had beef with each other decide they're going to get a shoot out right in the middle of Fountain Square, but right during rush hour as well. And now the mayors come out of press conference saying the adjective of the day is intolerable. Intolerable. My adjective may be maybe incurable. Has it gone too far? Has it gone put the point of no? Which are we too far gone? Not that we can't save it, but all the adjectives and curfews and patrol, they've done little, And we just got to get back to enforcing the law, going and going after those individuals and making examples of them. There should absolutely be no wiggle room. If you are a person who has a gun on you, they shouldn't have a gun on you. And that could be someone at her age, but specifically someone under disability, meaning that person's already been convicted of a felony and the law prohibits them from carrying, using, or even thinking about a firearm. And I'm willing to bet a lot maybe the farm, even if I had a farm, that that guy that we saw in the video with a white T shirt, the thick guy, fits into that category. You know what I'm saying. I just have a sneaking suspicion that person had some priors. The way they carried, the way they acted, what they did, and just how cold they were tells me that person probably has some experience of law enforcement. Don't know what's going to initiate the change here. But the stuff they didn't want to do looks like we're doing this argument about okay, well we don't want the national Guard here. We can't have the National Guard here because it looks why, well, you know it's a federal say okay, I get the nuance between state, local, and federal government. At the same time, the average untrained eye, if I see an officer or someone who's dressed in military gear, paramilitary gear with a long gun, tactical gear, helmet, face shield, all of that stuff, I think it's police state, regardless if it's a National Guard, whether it's the US Army, or whether it's local law enforcement. I mean, stop with the semantics of it. We're at that point right now. I'm sorry, and we're at that point because well we let it get to this point. Up next on the show, Denise three House is here. She's the president of the Hamlin County Commission. Did you hear about this talk about building a new arena when that is I don't know, but there are four sites selected at least to attracted. One would be where Heritage Bank Center sits now, simply because well, how are you going to do that? You got to blow that up and then rebuild. So there's no hockey, there's no events there. What's that do for the banks? And it's kind of hard to redevelop that area. And now they've gone it for a second time and said, no, wait, wait a minute, maybe this is the best area for a wait a minute, hold on just a second. What just happened? Ask Denise about this coming up next? Scott's loan seven hundred WWT since now do you want to be an American?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 1: Scott's flown back on seven hundred wws. So last year we did a study to find out where you could put a new arena. We need a shiny new arena badly, and they came up with four sites. The spot where Heritage Bank Center sits now is ah. They looked at it and went, is this it's too small? We can't there's no way you can put an arena here all right now. MSA Sport, the agency, the group that's doing the studies, They re examined that site again recently and said, you know what, I think we can make this. I think we can make this work. Boy, this is interesting. Hemlin County Commission President Denise Dreehouse on the show on seven hundred at WLWDS. Welcome back. How are you?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'm dad, how are you?
Speaker 1: Thanks for having me? Of course? All right, So this is the I don't know, maybe this is like the Italian in me. I'm not sure. But so MSA comes in a second time for free mind you, and they go, you know what, we need to really look at this this arena site again and you know what, actually we can do it if we move maring Way and we build a floodwall and do they say we can actually put a new arena on the existing site. And I heard that, And this is after the study came out just last year. It's not like, you know, five ten years have passed. This feels to me like there's tremendous pressure from people with a lot of influence strongly suggesting the site, as in, yeah, if you know it's good for you, you're going to build the arena the same site. My question is is this forced? And if so, who forced it? Because all of a sudden it didn't fit and then suddenly, praise God, the arena miracle happened and now we can fit an arena in the spot that we thought we couldn't just a year ago. What am I missing here?
Speaker 9: Well, I think there are people. I don't know, it's great influence. I'm not sure that captures it, but there are people that are advocating for all of the site. And so I think this one on the riverfront, you know, I think there was some question as to whether or not it could fit in a larger footprint. And as you say, they've moved the street to the south, They've opened up some of the parking, the surface parking down there for the project, and so it's an interest. I mean, I'm very interested in this design because it captures and utilizes some of the built infrastructure that is already down there that the county and the city and the state all partnered to you'll build all that parking infrastructure there, and from I vanage point, I want to definitely try to take advantage of build infrastructure no matter where the arena goes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I get it. You look at that and it's quite embarrassing for us to ease if you look at whether it's a county, the city, the Bengals, or all of us the banks is the fact that that was some twenty something years ago and there's still concrete piercing in there, waiting to be decked up for parking, garage and everything else. And I just can't help. But I'm not saying that this building out on the initial site, the site where the bank arena is right now, the Heriage Bank Center is now, is not a bad idea. But I'm saying, is are we choosing that simply because there's so many people I know, you and the commission, the Bank's working group, the Reds, the Bengals, the big money people, the decision makers really wanted on that site because so much is invested in the banks. I understand that, But again, we have land that's ready to be developed and it's been sitting vacant for so long. I mean it's really not let's face, it doesn't take twenty years to do what the grand vision is. I just wonder if we're forcing this to make sure that we use Atlanta, and when you do that, of course, are we choosing the best site or the one that the people behind the scene want the most? And does that does is that good for taxpayers and people have come down there. I think it's a legit question.
Speaker 9: Oh, I absolutely think we should ask the question which is best for the taxpayers, And that is ultimately the question I asked myself, which one benefits the taxpayers again using this built infrastructure that the taxpayers invested in. And so I am not committed necessarily to one site over the other. I think we do need to evaluate and make sure we're picking the best site. But I think these questions have to be asked. You know, where is the biggest thing for the bug for the taxpayers. And I have always said from the very beginning that we need to recognize we've got built infrastructure in some of these locations and we don't necessarily have it in others. So I don't feel like there's a heavy hand here. I mean, there was a study that was conducted by the Chamber in partnership with the city and the county to evaluate different sites, and that's what they did, and so this isn't a dendum to that report. I don't think it's put the period on anything. So I don't quite view it in that way. And the other thing I want to mention is that the Urban Design Review Group, that again is some of the stakeholders down on the riverfront, are looking at those four sites that are still not developed and presenting a report to us mid November, and so I'm very interested in seeing what they come up with, because a lot twenty four is ready to go. The other three are not because we have to build that parking underneath. But at least we're moving on it. And I share your frustration, but at least we're moving on it. You know, you do have to have the resources to move on some of the stuff, and COVID really took a hit on our restricted funds, particularly the parking fund and the tourism fund, and so we just need to recognize the reality of you know, at least we're in a good position now where we've got a report coming forward to the city and the county to talk about those last four lots.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I get we have parking infrastrucure right around it. It'd be great the length of the project, though, what happens to businesses during the time when there are no events. If this is the site we go with, that's a factor that we don't have to worry about. And a few of the other sites, you know, the West End around where the casino is another one of the sites that are being evaluated. The CETV studio or town center garages maybe a little bit, but I mean this is this is the existing arena that goes away for what a couple of years, like we saw at the Duke Energy Convention Center. But that also impacts all the foot traffic to the banks. How do we work around that.
Speaker 9: Well, let's not forget that we've got other assets down there, never mind the stadiums, but also the music venue that was meant to bring year round entertainment and business to those retailers down there. I mean, that's part of the reason we pushed so hard for the music venue for that very reason. And so if this goes offline for a while, it is just like the convention center. Look, you go down, you go dark for a while, You make the investments, you make sure that end product is better and will draw more business than what we had previously, and in the end there is a benefit, and you do it as quickly as you can. And that's exactly what we did with the convention Center. And I would expect that's what it's this word to be cited there at that site, then I would expect the same thing to happen there.
Speaker 1: What do you do with the cyclones? For two years biggest tenant.
Speaker 9: I don't I don't know the answer to that. I mean, I'm not in the weeds like that. I'll admit I'm looking at the different options. I mean, let's not forget that we don't have the money to do this right now. So I've said this a million times, like this is on the radar, it's on the list. It's not at the top of my list because we are invested in the convention center renovation. We just finished up the Bengals deal. We've got a lot on our plate that are really really big projects. And so you know, while the arena, you know, conversation is important and we're part of it, we do not have financing in place to construct a new arena, so we we were missing a piece of this at the moment.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the other thing too is it's what it's still be publicly owned but publicly funded because the environ entertainment owns it. But I'm here, like seventy percent investment, and then you know there's that, and then what about the private investment too. Those are pieces that still have to come together, right one hundred percent.
Speaker 9: Yeah, we're looking for a financial stack that makes sense because as you say it's privately owned right now, so I don't know is it is it public owned private owned? I mean, look, we have limited resources. I just you know, and so to assume that the county has the ability to step in here and renovates this is not realistic. You know, we are a partner in this, that we have limited resources, and I just want to emphasize that. So we are not where we need to be with a financial steck. We're looking at it. I mean, we've got experts looking at it. And so to answer your questions about public ownership private ownership, I don't know the answer of that because we haven't resolved that question.
Speaker 1: One of the big questions Commission President in east your house to ask would be, well you got to work with the city on this one too, And then often cases is I mean, I guess I just look at if we have peace between Israel and Palestine, I suppose that the city and the county can get along on some things. And what about the railroad money, That is something that the city has for infrastructure. I don't know if what applies here and that's the railroad sale. Proceeds in the railroad sale that would go just to infrastructure and roads in the city. I don't know if there's a carve out there or you're able to take some of those moneyes or not. Has that conversation been had at all with the city.
Speaker 9: Well, we're working very closely with the city on a number of projects, not the least of which is again mentioned center and the convention Center hotel, and so it's not the days of old where the county and the city are fighting with each other. That is not the case. I mean I have regular meetings with AaB and council members about a number of issues. So we are in good stead with the city. And my expectation is that any financial stack we come up with includes the city, the county, the private side, perhaps the state. I mean, we need to look at all options. It's an expensive proposal. We don't again we don't have those final numbers, but it's going to have to be a collaborative approach to.
Speaker 1: This and that's getting stuff done. Although you know, as I pointed out the beginning, Denise, I look at the empty vastness around the banks and still areas yet twenty years, two decades you have to be developed and on that we're talking about the Duke Energy Convention Center too, getting ready to open up, I think, you know, first quarter of the year and pretty soon it's going up. What happened to the hotel?
Speaker 9: Oh, it's well, so let's I want to be clear about that. What's left on the banks this will be private development. This is not going to be your government development. So we will look to the private side, and I think there's a lot of potential there because I think people do want to develop down there. Same with the host Headquarter hotel. It's a private development. There are incentives from the state, the city, the county in that deal to make sure that it happens. And that's moving along. So I don't know if you've seen the renderings, but they're pretty fantastic and it will allow us to have the room blocks that we need for the conventions that we're going to get because the convention center is so much better than it used to be and the apartment holdings. The group that is going to do that development just to the south of the convention center also has purchased the Wesson and so that is a great opportunity for us to not only have the seven hundred keys in the hotel, that's going to be new, but also utilize the wespons for those blocks. So it's a real opportunity. I'm very excited about that.
Speaker 1: How soon before we start. I haven't been down there in a while, so I don't have they done site work yet or if they got anything in yet. What's the timeline?
Speaker 9: I believe what's moving. I know that it's moving because I think some of these reports will be coming out. I think it's twenty twenty six, seven eight something like that. Remember it's a seven hundred key hotel, so the convention Center will come online far before that, and we've got capacity in the downtown hotels.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 9: The key to that, or the Convention Center hotel is that they can be relegated for the conventions, and so a group that wants to come in and do conventions in Cincinnati won't have to have hotel rooms spread all all over the city. They'll be located right across the street. We'll have a skywalk over the street, and so that will really help, you know, kind of a turbocharge some of the conventions that are.
Speaker 1: Coming in all right, kind of got off on the weeds there, as I often knew because of my brain the add Denise, but you know high role Hamlin County Commission President in Eastreehouse, I'm with Slowney seven hundred WLW and kind of update there with the hotel and the convention center project where we're talking about the new arena. A story comes out that says MSA Sport has on their own dime re examined the current Heritage Bank site and said, you know what, we actually can make this work. We can put a new arena there, which opens up a host of other questions as well, namely shutting that thing down for a couple of years and what that looks like for the banks and how you pay for it, of course, are huge issues right now. So it sounds like we're way down the line here before timeline. You know, what time do we start making a final decision and picking a site in you know, specifically the financing and when do you see this coming together if at all?
Speaker 9: Well, I don't know if it all is an option, but I think I don't know. I mean, as I told you, you know from my vantage point.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm interested in this.
Speaker 9: I think it's a big deal for the city and the county, but I am not later focused on this because we've got so many other things that were invested in. But I know the ideas are moving forward. This new look at the riverfront property, you know, just just came out, so you know, we're still studying it. But the big elephant in the room is the financing. And I have not seen a financial stack that pays.
Speaker 1: For this, okay, So that's a long way down the line. And how much of a factor, too, is and this is more short term I think, because we're talking years. Is what's happening in the city. As I mentioned, the conflict in the city and the county. Sometimes often cases it teams here at odds with each other, at least from the public perspective. But I'm looking at the violence of the crime on Fountain Square and around the city. We've got a new convention center that's going to open up, We've got a hotel that's going to go in. We're talking about building a new arena and getting more people downtime at a time where people were testifying about moving out of downtown because of the violence. What kind of role does a county have in this and working along with the city. I know you've been kind of silent spectators on the sidelines, although Sheriff McGuffey is doing everything she can to enforce the laws of the city. But that's an area that's often not talked about between the city and the county, but clearly there's a overlay and the ven diagram of violence.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and when we do work with the city, and I have been in contact with a mayor and council member, the sheriff is the one that's our law and public safety person right at the county. And so if you'll recall back when there was an influx of violence, the sheriff for thirty days did to patrol like a sweep of Court Street. They you know, it's an overlap of what CPD was doing. And so she came in with her folks and said, Okay, we're going to take Court Street. We're going to get things under control up here. And so she did, and there was a partnership between the city and the county and so that ended, things got better. And so now I know the sheriff and the mayor are talking again about the counties roll in again, it's through the sheriff as to what that partnership will look like here. But you are correct. I mean, if we have continued violence in the city cores that obviously impacts all of what we're just talking about, whether it's on the banks or down a Fountain Square or you know, some of these iconic places in the city and in the county, and we need to get it under control. And so we are talking to the city. I know the sheriff importantly is talking to CPD to try to figure out what the best strategies are. It's a work in progress, but you know there, I heard some pretty strong language at the press conference yesterday, and so looking forward to our continued partnership there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't get whether the partnership dissolved in the first place. And now it's like in Hindsight's twenty twenty goe boy, you could use more boots on the ground, We could use use sheriffs controls in certain areas here, and now we've got slot officers standard. It's not a good look for the city as we try to build a nice new shiny things to keep them from the outside coming in.
Speaker 9: Yeah, well, let me just clarify that. You know, the city asked us to come in for a month to do this work, and so that's exactly what the sheriff did, right, And some of it is just a matter of you know, finances and resources because it's really CPD's territory. I mean, the sheriff is coming in to a territory that CPDS happily helping to do that. But there it has to be if we're going to have a long term arrangement, we have to figure that out. That'll include some resources from the city, from the county. And so if that's the goal, then something we're open to talking about. That was not what we were asked to do, for my understanding, and so the sheriff of which she was asked to do. And so now you know there's a continued conversation with her, and there are other actors and all of this. Can I back up and say one thing I forgot to mention, and it's on a more positive note. Over at the convention center, So the convention Center is being redone at the city County County partnership. A hotel will go just to the south. Let's not forget about the property to the east where the Millennium used to sty Oh yeah, I remember the Millennium hotel. County invested there got that under control to get down that space is this big green space that we are going to be programming and it allows us to program stuff that convention stuff that would otherwise be in a building, but move it outside. And this is something that is a trend in the market. I'm super excited there. We're way ahead of the trends here and to use that for programmable space for conferences and sessions, but also for social events, it's going to be a real game changer for the convention center.
Speaker 1: She is Hamlin County Commissioned President Denise Dreehouse on the show this morning and talking about the arena site and Heritage Bank Center and that may be the spot where we put a new arena on top of the old one and what that all means. And that's a little bit down the line, but I appreciate it coming on this morning and then laying that out for us. Denise. I'm glad you're well and we'll talk again soon.
Speaker 9: Yeah, thank you, Scott. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Appreciate it. We'll get to a news update and more to follow. Sarah release and the Snort report stands by Next Bengals and Thursday Night Football in Town at pay court to tomorrow night light it up here seven hundred so long, it feels like it's been so long.
Speaker 3: How are you well, you're the one who's crippled.
Speaker 1: How are you share? Relisa snort report? She comes over from one of two seven EBM. That's where import her from. And then she comes and snort your way through sports and Wednesday mornings and such.
Speaker 2: Here with you.
Speaker 1: It's been been a while. What do we do? Last got the crutches? I got crutches. One more week. I think next Tuesday the crutches should go bye bye and.
Speaker 3: You'll be walking around again. I missed the scooter. Yeah, selfishly, I liked riding around on it like I was the dude from Soul.
Speaker 1: And she's she's been driving me around like to work every morning for two weeks.
Speaker 3: She's your personal uber.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'm like, you know what, I probably can get the crutches instead of the scooter and that's fine.
Speaker 3: And one more week and week?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, good is new?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 1: I heard anything like that? So I think I'm ready to go, but I don't want to push it till.
Speaker 3: And that's what happens is once you start to feel good, you're like, oh, I'm going to go run a marathon and then you're back and good.
Speaker 1: I still have the boot and the crutches, so I got it. I'm gonna good boy, I'm gonna wait till my my doc. Doctor Baker says, let's go.
Speaker 3: Well, this is the time for the older gentlemen because we are getting ready for the icy hot bulls.
Speaker 1: And a little bit.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna share some of the comments on social media because it is so funny. So we know Aaron Rodgers being forty one, Joe Flacco forty years old, which I'm not too far from these guys. So all the older people comments kind has me a little triggered.
Speaker 1: Well it should be, got of triggered a little bit.
Speaker 3: I'm like, hey, I'm not far from that.
Speaker 1: Well, the funny part is at my side.
Speaker 3: It's like, forty forty still young, right for you? You're like, kill me forty forty. But it is kind of ironic that you got the older dudes out there and you got the young guys in a boot like yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, walking around Burrow with um must up toe. You feel about tomorrow night?
Speaker 5: You know what?
Speaker 3: I'm excited. I'm excited. I feel optimistic about it.
Speaker 1: What makes you feel optimistic?
Speaker 3: You know what, Joe Flacco looked really good in that second halfened Green Bay. I feel like he finally settled in. I mean, look, you got to give you got to give the guy some credit. It was a very last minute notice to get that call to go to Cincinnati. He had maybe two days to practice with the team, and it was on a plane to Green Bay and you're you're doing You're battling it out at Lambeau, which is also a really hard place to play. Head coach Zac Taylor and his presser the other day he goes, look, Joe didn't even know the names of most of the guys on the team yet. He's still trying to settle in.
Speaker 1: But Flo has done this a little bit, so he's like, this is not his first roads. Like he's seen pretty much off of every offensive scheme that you.
Speaker 3: Can He's set up pretty much the entire AFC North. He could be with the Steelers by the time this season's over and Joe Burrow is back on the.
Speaker 1: Field, right because if something happens to a rod right now, you're thinking now, you're thinking, so I'll.
Speaker 3: Be there tomorrow night with my dad. We never miss the Bengals Steelers game. This is one we always look forward to, no matter who the quarterback is.
Speaker 1: We've seen it all.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, we've seen too many losses.
Speaker 1: I think it's that again. I think here's the problem right the offensive line. Okay, there's some work to do there obviously, still and he you know, they kept them upright, which is a great thing. Maybe different to get the Steelers, but.
Speaker 3: I actually had what one sack last year?
Speaker 1: But the last problem is it damn you know? Okay, the offense showed them in the second half, but the defense fall apart.
Speaker 3: Can we just have it all? Please? And what about Moneymack with Like the sixty seven yarder that didn't count.
Speaker 1: In my head on my back thing in the entire game.
Speaker 3: I looked at my husband, I said, you know, when it does count, he's not going to make it.
Speaker 1: Of course not that's a hard sixty seven is a big ask. Like that's the whole field again, Bengal luck working against us in this case.
Speaker 3: This is I feel about tomorrow night?
Speaker 2: Do you want?
Speaker 1: I mean? I okay, look at okay, you got Joe Flacco. He's hitting some of the guy. Okay, can you outscore Pittsburgh. At this point, I just the defense show no Like I'll be honest with you, I haven't seen damn thing out of the defense. It makes me think that they can carry this team into the fourth quarter. That's what scares me about it, because I think Pittsburgh just smash mouth. They're going to come in and I think it's going to be close in it maybe another Green Bay situation.
Speaker 3: I think it is going to be a close game. I have no idea what's going to happen tomorrow night.
Speaker 1: I feel like every time you gotta win, I mean, this is it.
Speaker 3: Every time it's a surprise. But yes, this is a must win situation if you want to try to keep up in the AFC North, Yep, take advantage of how bad the Browns and the Ravens are doing.
Speaker 1: Take advantage of that, right, full advantage. It's gonna be tough to catch Pittsburgh, but you get it because you got at Pittsburgh. It's yeah, it's kind of then.
Speaker 3: You and then you've got ten days off to get it together with your new QB. So this really is a must win for the bast.
Speaker 1: You gotta come out and you go to that buy of the win, half the win. This must win otherwise. I don't know how they I don't know how they pull it off.
Speaker 3: I don't know how you keep up in the conversation. You do. I don't want this to be a four win season.
Speaker 1: Okay, please?
Speaker 6: But yeah.
Speaker 3: With Aaron Rodgers being forty one Flak being forty, this is just the second matchup of starting QB's forty or older in NFL history, So we're witnessing.
Speaker 1: This is great for you.
Speaker 3: I am so excited for this. Okay, I think this is great. The comments are hilarious. But Tom Brady and Drew Brees the last one is to do it back in twenty twenty, So get ready for history. Baby. This is fun.
Speaker 1: This historic. Did they take a nap at halftime? There's like a five minute too.
Speaker 3: That's what I was going to get to. So some of the comments under the post this is the battle of the Granddaddy's. Oh my gosh, I feel so old. Instead of a sideline reporter, put a staff of nurses out there. A few other ones this game should be sponsored by AARP, calling it the Geriatric Bowl. Someone said eight point fifteen is too late of a start for guys that are in bed by seven.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, you can't do that. He should be playing the London game.
Speaker 3: Look, we just at the morning. I want to sit there with my Cinne bums and watch the daddies go at it. Yeah, I'm excited.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'll be there with my dad. We just laugh to keep him crying. That's what happens.
Speaker 1: That's all you can do is as a Bengals fan, because at this point will be going how many days? If they lose tomorrow, it's how many days till opening day?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: Mike, what are we at one fifty? I don't know something like that. We've got Reds Fest in January. That's something to look forward to.
Speaker 1: The dude, Pittsburgh. All teams beat Pittsburgh.
Speaker 3: I said, must win. Some positive news, how golden. Yesterday talking to media our defensive coordinator, he said that Shamar Stewart finally back. Remember he went down week two with that ankle injury. I know we're all kind of like, who's Schamar's Stewart?
Speaker 1: What happened to him?
Speaker 6: So?
Speaker 3: Anyways, he's back. Not sure what's going to go down with Trey Hendrickson dealing with a bad back injury. I think he's playing tomorrow.
Speaker 1: We think.
Speaker 3: I think we'll see him there minutes before kickoff, right, Zach Taylor will say, uh, hey, by the way, he'll be out there.
Speaker 1: We will see Stewart tomorrow.
Speaker 3: That's what Al Golden is saying.
Speaker 1: Okay, that'll be big. He needs a He looked good in the limited starts he had. But yeah, getting some guy's healthy, Gaina back there, that's going to help tremendously.
Speaker 3: I think so Logan Wilson or yeah, Logan Wilson had talked to media yesterday about getting benched for that Green Bay game.
Speaker 1: Talk about old. There's your guy getting old. That's what it is.
Speaker 3: He's not old, he's not even thirty.
Speaker 1: Okay, but he doesn't look the same Zack. Looking old and feeling old are two differentings.
Speaker 3: I understand that. Unfortunately, I'm going through both. I know I'm looking old, I'm feeling old.
Speaker 1: I'm not doing okay looking old, Sarah. Feeling old like so.
Speaker 3: Many needles you can put in my face, and needles into your ankle and your foot and your knee and your clder and everything. You're doing it, You're going to be like Joe Burrow, like a whole robotic.
Speaker 1: I'm doing it. You feel better. You do it to look better. Those are two different types of procedures.
Speaker 3: Hey, when you look good, you feel good, feel good, Okay, good, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Don't overdo it. Don't turn into plastic surgery mass. You're not going to do that.
Speaker 3: Are you going to afford to do that?
Speaker 1: It's probably a good thing.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 3: God's like, I'm going to keep you poor, so you don't get.
Speaker 1: Had plastic surgery in their thirties and forties, but then they're fifty, they look like the scream masks.
Speaker 3: Oh look yeah, you only want the screen mask for one day out of the year for folloween so but yeah. So Logan Wilson he had talked to media about getting bench. She said, I can look back at this time of adversity and be able to tell my kids how to work through It. Looks like the Bengals are going to be starting Barrett Barrett Carter. So he told Barrett that he wants to help him out in any way. There's no hard feelings about anything. Logan Wilson handling it like a true pro and Barrett said nothing but love and respect for Logan Wilson.
Speaker 6: So there you go.
Speaker 3: That's what's trending with our Bengals.
Speaker 1: Okay, and I saw the Thursday football teams are in town already getting the paycore ready to go. Yeah, that's great under the lights. The weather's gonna be phenomenal.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's gonna feel like football weather. It's gonna be gorgeous. It's a bag white out.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The team had a late night practice. They actually had it at paycor Stadium last night and they were getting the white out ready. So go check out the Bengals social media for that.
Speaker 1: They've got like.
Speaker 3: White and black tiger striped walls up against the you know, around the whole field. It looks really cool. So if you look cool, you're gonna play cool, right, all right? Even in the icy hot Bowl. The Bengals did't announce the other day that the ruler of the Jungle is going to be Andrew Whitworth. He kind of gives the Bengals a hard time. Do I love?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And I think that's okay.
Speaker 1: You can be both.
Speaker 3: You can be a fan and you can also give your team a hard time. I think it should be like that all right.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 1: The big question is can he suit up? No, can we put him out there. It's not the injuries on the field. It's the injuries like at Fountain Square, anybody gets shot.
Speaker 3: Why would you go there?
Speaker 1: Because that's the big story today.
Speaker 3: Did you see that they're gonna have police and swats it up front two pm?
Speaker 1: To the National Guard? Here, we can't have the National Guard. It looks it's terribly you got these uniform paramilitary troopers. By the way, we're gonna have swat officers. I think to the untrained eye, you look at a swat officer and you look at it, we kind of freak out a little round. Well, you look at the National guardsman, I know the difference between the two obviously, but when for the amatursity you look at it go, I don't know. It's a guy that's just in tactical gear with them the sult type or right full and a helmet on. It's like, what whether it's the National Garden, it's the same thing. And you're still not leaning into having the troopers come down, State troopers and and that whole thing. It's like it's just more of the same. It's like you could see this coming because they just slow played the whole thing going Okay, well we'll try a little more. How are the curfews working out?
Speaker 3: And how's it's it's not the curfew thing is not working Yeah, clearly. And you know it's bad when Jeff Ruby's releases the presser and starts making.
Speaker 1: Moves, start making taking Olympika out. Oohlim on, Tom properties, I guess I get that, but it's like it's a safety issue and we're moving it to Walnut and correct. Tell you what, you have more bullets flying and Fountain Square, that nice shiny rubies you're eating at They're gonna move. Can you imagine? And we don't want them, do you imagine? No, the flagship restaurant for the culinary experience in Cincinnati.
Speaker 3: Britney Ruby is my mayor of Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: Is she pulls out of there?
Speaker 3: Oh we're done. We don't want that to happen. That is a beautiful restaurant. Oh you're right around the corner. You've got the lighting of the Christmas tree coming up. You've got all you know, the ice skating coming like, let's come on, get it together.
Speaker 1: Well, you got this clown that just keeps going. Well, you know, we got a little more, you know, more hands on. We need more programs, and this is what happens when you just let sociopaths run the streets unchecked.
Speaker 3: An eight o'clock shooting on a Monday night, right right outside of Jeff Ruby's not good, Ballsy not good. And it's not just the teenagers. Now, these were twenty year olds that were involved. Yeah, a couple of teens, a twenty four year old dude. And they're still looking for the GODI, the big guy. Uh huh, looking for Biggie Smalls. That video was triggering. They released that the other night.
Speaker 1: I don't know this, this fat guy. That's the streets. The guy couldn't have gone to Maybe you want to stake out a drive through.
Speaker 3: But yeah, there's a lot going on in Cincinnati. Uh this weekend. You know, You've got the Bengals tomorrow night, and then FC Cincinnati for their fan appreciation night at t Q well, and then Cyclones hockey is back on Saturday night. And guess who's sounding the siren? Your husband, our girl Tiff Potter, she is, Yes, I will be there with her on Saturday night. She got a job fast, I know, sounding the siren for the Cincinnati Cyclones for the first face off. Yeah, it'll be a good time.
Speaker 1: All right, good, well, she needs to get out and have some fun after the reduction and force.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, yes, we very much. But she's gonna land on her feet on shore and do great things.
Speaker 1: That's the nature of our economy these days.
Speaker 3: Go out and support our cyclones and our girl tiff on Saturday.
Speaker 1: What are you gonna do? I just had Denise Treehouse. I don't know if you heard that at all, but the shoes talking about the arena. They want to put the arena on top of the old arena. Now that that's open. I want to her lean on that because that sounds like that was off the table. How are we going to do?
Speaker 6: So?
Speaker 1: What are you going to do with the cyclones? If they shut the they blow the arena up and it's closed for two years, what are they gonna play?
Speaker 3: I guess they could take over.
Speaker 1: Or would they go to Kentucky? I probably would you play? You can't plan. I'm thinking where you played like Sports Plus had never hold it or North lond It's not you're not gonna get seating there. So whatd it have to be at?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because they sent ten thousand heritage so they have ice capacity at Northern Kentucky. You can lay some lice, lay some ice anywhere.
Speaker 1: I guess you can. You need a refrigeration. I mean, I guess you could do a raise thing like they do for the Winter Classic. But I don't know how you freeze that if there's no Well.
Speaker 3: The arena managers, well, I guess they put everything on top of ice constantly for concerts and comedians.
Speaker 1: But the ice, the the integration for the ice is below the surface too. He's gonna have to refrigerate it. So I don't know if a floating I don't know how they do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know either.
Speaker 1: I have to be Northern Kentucky if they do it. But that's interesting anyway, Go to Dayton, Send them up to Dayton, Google play there.
Speaker 3: Selfishly, I don't want that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's kind of a drunk right now.
Speaker 3: I'm a mile away, so I'm like stick around here somehow find out. But they do deserve a new arena.
Speaker 1: All right, snorts. Give me a prediction for tomorrow. What do you got, Bengals? Oh my gosh, I think it's too Steelers six. Is that what you're going with?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, twenty seventeen, Bengals twenty seventeen Moneymack twenty seventeen at the end to win it a sixty seven yarder.
Speaker 1: All right, what do you think I think it's gonna be ready for this one?
Speaker 2: Ready?
Speaker 8: One?
Speaker 1: Twenty four to twenty four tie?
Speaker 3: Sweet? Can we please stop the ties and everything?
Speaker 1: It's so bad. I hate ties.
Speaker 3: It's just play until you winil so.
Speaker 1: Many dies falls over, that's the game.
Speaker 3: Like baseball. You got to go to fifteen innings to get it done, and so be it.
Speaker 1: Keep Southern death. That's fine if you need to do the the overtimerals, but just keep going till you get a winner. Ties are dumb.
Speaker 6: I hate it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what are the Packers now? Three?
Speaker 2: One and one?
Speaker 3: This is soccer, stupid, No, and soccer shouldn't end in a tie either. Just go and tell your score.
Speaker 1: Snart Reports gets trigger every Wednesday Morning Football Tamar and the Natty Thursday Night Football is here and we got the game for you and the home and the best Bengals coverage seven hundred Wody, Cincinnat