Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begne.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Here we go again. We're Gonta running back.
Speaker 1: To get him on the show called eight six six eighty seven two five seven, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you get your podcasts. Here's your host, David vasse Da.
Speaker 2: Ta Oscar Hernandez was already with his bobb all head throwing sunflower seeds tonight.
Speaker 3: That was the giveaway.
Speaker 2: He was going to use it in the dugout for the Dodgers when they hit a home run tonight, but that never came to be. The Dodgers did not hit a home run tonight and they fall to the Phillies by a final score of four to three.
Speaker 3: Welcome the Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: David vass with you until eleven thirty tonight here on a five to seventy. LA's sports Oryan Keckering, who was the pitcher on the mound when the Dodgers beat the Phillies in Game four last year's NLDS remember the comebacker, the fumble, the throwaway, and the Dodgers walk it off in the eleventh inning against Keckering and the Phillies to go on to the NLCS. Well, Keckering was back on the mountain tonight. In the seventh inning. It was a little rocky, especially early on. He spiked a fastball right in front of home plate facing show hel Tani. So you have to imagine you start to see some of the ghosts of Hay Sung Kim and Andy Paihez. In that seventh inning, the Dodgers were able to score a runoff for Keckering. In that seventh inning, Mookie Beds drove in Andy Piez. We'll get to that plane a second. But the Dodgers fall tonight to the Phillies four to three. Tanner Scott takes the loss after giving up three runs in the eighth inning. Tanner Scott had not given up any run since April twenty fourth, had been that long. He had not given up any runs in the month of May, and had not given up a home run in the month of May. So tonight one of those nights where, for whatever reason, Tanner Scott just couldn't put away the Phillies because he did give up three hits when he had two strikes on those batters in the eighth inning, including at Mundo Sosa who hit a one to two fastball over the right field wall into the home run seats, and that fan that tried to catch it with his whole body obviously did not do a good job because it bounced off his belly and back onto the field, and either way at Mundo Sosa and the Phillies had taken the lead. So that was a little shocking because you kind of feel like no drama for Tanner Scott has been a regular thing this year, but tonight there was some drama in the eighth inning. He just couldn't put a way any of the Phillies in that eighth inning. And look the reality is, and I said this during the Clubhouse show, but it bears repeating. Tanner Scott had the right idea. He gets ahead O two on Sosa, who's a free swinger. Twenty one strikeouts this year for Sosa and only three walks in limited action. He's sitting two thirteen. His ops is six to oh one, so he's ahead of him two and he throws a slider down and away.
Speaker 3: You know, that's a good pitch.
Speaker 2: You know, see, if he's going to chase it, I would double up with another slider, maybe not as far down off the strike zone, but a little bit closer to the strike zone.
Speaker 3: But instead he threw a.
Speaker 2: Fastball right in the wheelhouse of a Mundo Sosa and he did not miss it, as he he and the Phillies are certainly they are a free swing. They swing early and often, and the Dodgers were exploiting that until that eighth inning. And that was a pitch right where Sosa could extend his arms, and it was a no doubt from this vantage point in ninety six fastball that Sosa hit for a two run home run to give the Phillies a four to three lead in the eighth inning, and that would be the final score. Now, in the bottom of the ninth inning, Dave Roberts brought Dalton Rushing off the bench to pinch hit for Santiago Espinal and Joan Duran is a better pitcher against righties than he, excuse me, a better pitcher against lefties than he is against righties. Rushing seemed like he was trying to tie the score on his own and he rolled over a one pitch. You gotta see more pitches against Duran in that situation. Try to get on base any way you can. Don't try to tie the score yourself, even though you can. Otani's on deck behind you. So I felt like that kind of set the wheels in motion for a pretty easy ninth inning for Joan Duran. Eight six six, nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number.
Speaker 3: So all of what took place in the.
Speaker 2: Eighth inning really overshadowed a good start from Roki Sasaki, who was really good tonight.
Speaker 3: He just seems to continue to get better.
Speaker 2: Even though everybody is so skeptical when it comes to Roki Sasaki, you can't deny in his last five starts he has started to look like a bona fide major league starter. And tonight his fastball was the best we have seen it all season long.
Speaker 3: He hit one hundred miles an hour.
Speaker 2: He was right there with ninety eight basically all night with his fastball.
Speaker 3: That's something that we haven't seen.
Speaker 2: We saw a lot of confidence, and we've seen the confidence growing over this month of May that Dave Roberts pointed to, and tonight was maybe an all time high when it comes to his confidence, his execution and the fastball velocity was a great indicator of that because on the year his fastball's been averaging ninety seven. Tonight, his fastball averaged almost ninety nine miles an hour, and that's the Roki Sasaki we heard of, and the Phillies had no answer for his splitter or his slider.
Speaker 3: The Phillies were zero for nine with three strikeouts against sasaki splitter and slider tonight. Also, his fastball got seven swings and misses, which was a career high tonight. So what took place in the eighth inning and the Dodgers losing tonight overshadowed the fact that Roki Sasaki closed out a very good May, throwing twenty eight and a third innings in five starts, holding hitters to a two wait batting average, and his strikeout to walk ratio was phenomenal twenty eight strikeouts and only six walks tonight. Seven strikeouts in one walk for Sasaki. So the Dodgers have not lost faith in him. They felt like keeping him up at the.
Speaker 2: Big league level and have him learn and be around Mark Pryor and Connor McGinness. You heard Dave Roberts allude to the fact that Sasaki's been working diligently with the Dodgers' strengthened conditioning coach and Travis Smith. It's all starting to come together, and you just hope that he can continue to build off these five starts in the month of May and keep it going. Also lost in all this was the sixth inning where Alex Vesia came in after Sasaki allowed the first two batters in the sixth inning to get on Schwarber and Turner with back to back singles. After getting Justin Crawford to strike out, Dave Roberts went to Alex Vesia to face Bryce Harper. He walked Bryce Harper. There were a couple abs challenges that well. There was one that Will Smith got wrong. It was way off the plate, trying to get the momentum back for Vessia and it just didn't work out. So it was bases loaded, one out and Vessia faced at Mundo Sosa. Sosa struck out on pitches that were completely out of the strike zone and then he was able to get Alec Bohm to ground out to Espinall to end the inning. So that also was overshadowed by the eighth inning. Another play at the plate that was overshadowed, or another play that was overshadowed by the eighth inning was the bottom of the seventh inning. Mookie Betts hits a base hit to right field that's where Dallas Garcia is and Andy pie Haz was coming around to score, and he was going to score. It was a close play at the plate, don't get me wrong, but what an awkward slide by Andy pie Has who never touched home plate and JT. Real Mudo made a huge mistake. A veteran catcher right there, why not go You usually see this when you know it's like what are you doing? He did slide and touch home plate. Catchers go back and touch the runner just to be one hundred percent certain. In this case, Paz never touched home plate. Real Mudo never went to tag Paz and it was kind of a clumsy play at the plate by two guys. And I'll say this, Andy Pahz is very very fortunate not to have injured his ankle when he had a very poor slide into home plate because it was not even a slide, it was like a jump slide, and if you go back and look at the replay, his right ankle kind of sticks into the dirt because he never touched home plate. And you know, he's very fortunate he didn't turn that ankle.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, if you go back and look at that replay, Andy has got to have better slides feet first into home plate because that was that was dangerous and that was a bad play by both the runner and the catcher in that situation. In the seventh inning, eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. I know everybody's going to point to that eighth inning. But the Dodgers had a lot of opportunities early in this game tonight. Kyle Tucker had a couple of opportunities. One that was taken away from him was in the fourth inning when he hit a fly ball down the right field line. It had a lot of hangtime, but nonetheless a Dallas Garcia made a great catch on a fly ball that would have scored Mookie Betts in that third inning. Instead, it was just out two and Kyle Tucker was fit to be tied. Because not a lot of right fielders are going to dive going towards the foul line and into that short wall. But Garcia gambled and there was a lot of hangtime, so he was able to come up with it. But it was still a great catch to rob Tucker of extra bases and rob the Dodgers of what could have been at now that we look back on the game, a very pivotal run. But the fact is the Dodgers were just two for eleven tonight with runners in scoring position, and Kyle Tucker tonight was zero for four and he's now hitting two thirty six on the season. I mean, that's hard to ignore. Let's go out to Orange County, Tyson. You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi Tyson.
Speaker 5: Hi, David, how are you.
Speaker 2: I'm doing good. It was a good game tonight, Tyson. Tonight was a good baseball game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I agree. And the pitching has been really good all the way from the bullpen through the you know, some of the depth of the stars, and it'll probably be interesting to see what they'll do with those starters when everyone gets healthy, but well we know with this team that probably won't be the case. But anyways, to go on to what I want to talk about with Tucker, it looks like he's just pulling off, you know, on everything.
Speaker 6: And is rolling over to the right side.
Speaker 5: And if he stays close kind of like what my favorite Dodger ever, Adrian Gonzalez, would do, is stay closed and try to shoot the ball left. It'll stop doing that and probably have a better success.
Speaker 2: What do you think it's funny you said that because Kyle Tucker was out here for early batting practice and that's exactly what he was working on, trying to shoot the ball to left field. I wouldn't say he was completely pleased with his batting practice session because talk to him walking off the field and he wasn't really in the mood for it. Rick Monday saw him throw his bat during batting practice, so he didn't have a good BP session, And it feels like he's just trying to find that feel consistently. But you have the right idea, because that's what Kyle Tucker and his intent was during early batting practice to shoot it to left field.
Speaker 3: He just hasn't been able to do that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, he's a big, strong guy. It's not like he's, you know, some slap you know, what hit her if if he tries to hit the ball the left side.
Speaker 7: He's gonna still.
Speaker 5: Get doubles in some homers. But you know, I've seen it with Dodgers in the past day. They pull off and just roll over the right side, and you know now they don't have this shift, so you can might get some hits out of it.
Speaker 3: But I know you.
Speaker 2: Sound like my mom when I was a kid. I said, Okay, I'll clean my room, and then she keeps going on and say, you never clean your room. I just told you he's trying to work on going to the left side.
Speaker 5: As a long season dure he used to play baseballs. Sometimes it's hard to you know.
Speaker 3: You understanding, easier said than done.
Speaker 2: But he knows what he's doing wrong and he's trying to figure it out, and it's good to see him. Actually, you know, Tyson, everybody talks about how he doesn't show any care factor or any emotion. Well, he's shown a lot of emotion lately, and it's not in a good way. It's a lot of frustration. So at the very least he cares. You can't doubt that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I'll be rooting for him, and hopefully, you know, I can call back here soon with you know better news.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about Hey, by the way, your favorite player, Adrian Gonzalez was on off day Dodger Talk Thursday night. You can find that that interview on the iHeartRadio app right there, Tyson.
Speaker 4: All right, I'll go right to it.
Speaker 3: All right after the show.
Speaker 2: Eleven thirty were off tonight eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. The Phillies scored three runs in the eighth inning and beat the Dodgers tonight four to three. Let's go out to Santa Clarita. Jacob, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 6: How you doing, Jacob doing good? How are you?
Speaker 3: I'm doing great. Great baseball game tonight at Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 4: Would have loved to see the win, but you know, good baseball.
Speaker 6: Nonethe left.
Speaker 4: So I think recently, Brokie you.
Speaker 2: Have like a go back there, Jacob, Like, who's why don't you put the person that's telling you what to say on the phone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're right, I'm a puppet. Yeah, I got someone's hand in me right now.
Speaker 5: We'll we'll go for it.
Speaker 4: So I want to talk about Roki. I think Roki's been improving his game a lot. I think he needs to be, you know, highlighted more as a starter. I would love to see, you know, like some more depth from him. The improving era is good. I'm just worried about how he's going to perform deeper in the season. You know, if we you know, end up getting into October, that's something I worry about.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't, I wouldn't worry about that right now. I think the biggest thing is this is and and there's no two ways around it. It's a developmental project with Roki Sasaki, and you're starting to see some of the benefits of the hard work the Dodgers' staff has put in to try to make this guy a major league starter and help him grow at the major league level. So I think at this point in time, Jacob, the biggest thing is is be happy that you saw this type of performance from Roki, not only to but in his previous four starts and in October. I mean, who knows if he's even in the starting rotation. I find it hard to believe he will be. He'll probably be coming out of the bullpen.
Speaker 4: Again, I don't disagree with you. Another thing that I think will play as a factor or could potentially be a factor as the injuries we have to the starting bullp or the starting pitching rotation. You know what with Snell and Glass now right now, hopefully that doesn't progress and you know that deep into the season, but if we have to know.
Speaker 3: It, we'll be back in two months.
Speaker 2: Snell will be back in two months and he'll be ready to go for the stretch run and ready for October. Glass now, I'm not sure. It seems a lot more vague. Backs are fickle, especially when you're six 's eight. And let's not forget there's a lot of talk about the Tigers, who have the worst record in the American League with the Angels, that they may actually decide to trade Trek Scubele and teams are gonna wait to see whether or not Schoobles healthy in the month of June, and who knows. I mean, the Dodgers are right there with the prospect capital to be able to pull off a trade like that.
Speaker 4: If we were to gain Schooble. Do you not worry about the potential prospect of getting schemes in the future.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, school, I mean, what, Jacob, what I gotta go? I mean, come on, I mean that that is ridiculous right there. Schooble, by the way, is a free agent at the end of the year, so you know that is so far down the road. And quite honestly, I'd love to see Paul Skien stay with the Pirates for more than just his first six years of team control. That would be good for the sport, for the Pirates to step up and pay Paul Skians to stay a Pirate. But the Tigers, on the other hand, it's not gonna happen. They've low balled Scooble in the past with extensions that are ridiculous. They have the worst record in the American League right now with the Angels, and if it continues on this trajectory, it makes sense that they would try to get something in return for Schoobol if their season is looking bleak as we get closer to the trade deadline, which is not in July this year, it's August second. Celebrate ninety years of racing at Santa Anita Park every Friday through Sunday with millions and payouts every race day. For heart pounding action new experiences, visit Santa Anita.
Speaker 3: Dot com slash events.
Speaker 2: By the way, the Dodgers could have tied the game in the ninth inning, not necessarily a walkoff victory.
Speaker 3: They did not, of course. But how about this.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers are the only team that hasn't played an extra inning game this year.
Speaker 3: Their first fifty eight.
Speaker 2: Games has not been any of them including an extra inning game. That's right, The Dodgers have gone fifty eighth straight games to begin the year without an extra inning contest, did you.
Speaker 3: Realize that we did?
Speaker 2: It is the tenth longest streak without playing an extra inning game to begin the season.
Speaker 3: The team that played the most.
Speaker 2: Straight games to open up a season without going to extra innings was the two thousand and five Red Sox, who played ninety eight straight games that year to open the season without playing an extra inning game. So the Dodgers have played fifty eight straight in counting, that is the tenth longest streak to begin the season without going to extra innings. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we continue, well check in with Jose Mota. You'll hear from Teoscar Hernandez and Don Mattingley as we caught up with the former Dodgers skipper before the game.
Speaker 3: Today.
Speaker 2: Phillies beat the Dodgers tonight four to three on a five to seventy LAS Sports.
Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seventy LA sports dot com, hand on the iHeartRadio app. Back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger insider David Bass.
Speaker 2: Phillies four three runs in the eighth inning and beat the Dodgers tonight by a final score of four to three. O'Ryan keickering with the win, Tanner Scott the losing pitcher, and Joan Durant with his twelfth save of the year. This is Dodger Talk. David vasse with you until the bottom of the hour. Well checking with Jose Mota. In ten minutes. You'll hear from Don Mattingley about what it was like this offseason after being on the losing end of last year's incredible World Series between the Dodgers and Blue Jays. Remember Don Mattingley was John Schneider's bench coach last year and he actually was given the opportunity to take out the lineup card before Game one. John Schneider gave him that honor because it was the first time in Don Mattingley's illustrious career as a player, as a coach, as a manager that he ever was involved in the World Series. So you'll hear from Don Mattingley a little bit later in the show. Mookie Betts tonight had three hits and he drove in Andy Pahz on that awkward slide in the seventh inning. But that was good to see Mookie Betts bouncing back after a couple of down games. Remember early on this homestand against the Rockies, he hit two home runs in that fifteen run outburst. So tonight to see him get three hits against a really good starter and Jesus Lozardo was encouraging. And on Monday, we had a chance to catch up with Dave Roberts during our managers meeting presented by Downy Hunday, and I asked Dave Roberts.
Speaker 3: What version of Mookie Betts do you need?
Speaker 8: What I do need? I think what I need and it's an simple answer, is I need MOOKI. We need MOOKI to be Mookie Bets. And I say that in the sense of you're that dog. I think that when Mooki's right, there's that little scowl on his face when he's hitting. You know, that determination, that fight, that toughness, and not the self doubt, the questioning, the over anxiousness in the box. And every single time he steps on the field, he should think that he's one of the best players on the planet, let alone on the field. And it is true that being a human being sometimes you start to question that yourselves, even if you are Mooki Bets. But for me, the last couple of days, I saw that edge again, and that's what I want to see. And if I see that, the results will bet on those results.
Speaker 2: And those that edge has still been there. And tonight you say the results three hits and RBI by Mookie Betts in the seventh inning. And just to give you a peek inside Mookie Bets, I mean he is one of the best players of this generation.
Speaker 3: There is no doubt about it.
Speaker 2: I mean, how many guys can win six gold gloves and right field and then moved to shortstop almost when the MVP if not being hit on the wrist a couple of years ago and make that transition seamless. But Mookie Bets, for some reason, has a lot of self doubt and in Anaheim, when I interviewed him, I asked him, what's the piece of advice that David Ortiz gave him that he pays forward, and he always said positive self talk. And on a recent episode of All the Smoke with Matt Barnes, Mookie Betts gave us a peek inside just the challenge he has within himself.
Speaker 9: I think, really, what I'm thinking about is don't know. And when I tell myself that, like I say that all the time, and then I tell move, don't say that, don't say that, and by the time I'm stepping in the box, and then I just play. So I have though I have like these bad thoughts that I really have been trying to fix, and then when I get them, when I get done with that argument with myself, I just play. But I got to go through the argument because if I get happy thoughts, then I'm like ah, and then you know, the intrusive thoughts start and then.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 9: I've just learned to argue with myself and then cut it off as soon as the games, as soon as I step in the box.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. So when you see Mookie Bets on the on deck circle. There's an argument raging inside his head, telling him don't f it up, and then him telling his other voice, Hey, I'm gonna do really well here. And tonight it worked. He got three hits and he came up with an RBI bas it in the seventh inning. And I think that's just the positive reinforcement that.
Speaker 3: He needs to believe that he is that good.
Speaker 2: I know it's been a struggle with injuries at times, him losing you know, close to twenty pounds last year because of the illness, but Mookie Betts has to remember that he's Mooky freaking Bets. I mean, just go back and look at the back of your baseball card, look at Baseball Reference, look at whatever you want. You've done things that no other player in this sport has ever done. And your one three homer game away from being the guy that has the most three homer games in baseball history. Right now, he's tied with Johnny Maize and Sammy Sosa with six three homer games. He's still got something left in the tank. He's thirty three years old. He's still rounding into baseball shapes. Still doesn't have one hundred at bats under his belt this year, so you know, you just I just wanted to share with you what his manager knows about him, and obviously Dave knows him pretty well since he got here in twenty twenty, and just to share, I mean that was he was really insightful for him to be that candid on all the smoke with Matt Barnes about the raging argument that he has with himself from the on deck circle to the batter's box. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Also had a chance to catch up with ta Oscar Hernandez earlier this afternoon.
Speaker 3: If you remember, during the.
Speaker 2: Off season and into spring training, Taoscar Hernandez said he worked really hard and changed his off season training to be able to help him play almost every game of the one hundred and sixty two game regular season plus postseason. He was frustrated with himself that he had a groin injury mid season last year. It lingered all year long and he wanted to change that. And then you have what took place a couple of nights ago, him running up the first base line and he strains his left hamstring.
Speaker 3: I asked Taoscar.
Speaker 2: With all that work he put in, how much more frustrating was to have this type of injury.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean I was feeling really good. That came out of nowhere, But I understand at the same time, it's part of the part of the process, is part of the game. Like you said, I trained so hard this offseason just to be on the field every single day for the team, for my teammates, but unfortunately it happens, and now it's different time. I need to get stronger, need to get better, and just be black as soon as possible.
Speaker 2: The good news is Taoscar Hernandez did not ignore his body, because if he did, he said, he could have been out almost three months. The prognosis is for Oscar Hernandez to only miss a month, so that's good news for the Dodgers as well. But Taoskar was just heating up at the right time. The good news is he did not try to push it and make the injury worse. So hopefully he is back within a month, and that would bring him back right before the All Star break, get some games under his belt and then be ready to go, ready to go.
Speaker 3: For the second half of the season.
Speaker 2: Daniels Jewelers presents the home Run Forecast for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card. Visit a five to seventy LA sports dot Comune's the keyword home run and to your name, you could win.
Speaker 3: Daniels Jewelers Own the Dream.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the horn with hose Mota.
Speaker 2: All right, jose Mota, we've been talking about Roki Sasaki every time he's out there, and you're always holding your breath. Which Rokie are we going to get? But he seems to have built some momentum to his season.
Speaker 7: Oh, the Presidents is so much different now, David has no doubt about it. You can see the confidence and the eyes and the look the rocky Osaki that now has a lot of separation between his fastball at triple digits and living at ninety nine to ninety eight, and his slider, which is a premiere pitch now very important for him, the splitter, the two of them that he's throwing. So there's no doubt. The command is there. And I think you know you and I talked about this last year. What if he just eliminated the wats what would happen because the only people that are really hurting him in terms of putting the ball in play or Sluggie was the top guy in the bottom two, but he was hurting himself by allowing the bottom two to beat him a lot because he was walking guys in the middle of that lineup. So the answer is there, David, when he doesn't want guys, he is again a very eleap pitcher.
Speaker 2: Are you sold that there is no looking back now? I mean, obviously every starter has a bat outing here or there, But do you feel like Rokies made a significant turn to the season.
Speaker 7: I believe so. I think at times there's going to be some bumps still on the road. But here's what the biggest challenge is going to come for him. This is not a one time thing. This is a the league is going to find out what exactly bringing your latest success and then you don't change money. You readjust to what you're doing. And it could be just on looks that you give in different counts, sequencing the pitches, working up and down against certain lineups. I mean, there are certain lineups that are gonna hurt you up in the zone and certain lineup's going to hurt you with the upper cuts down on the zone. But understand exactly what the league is going to be doing against you. But one thing, just remember that quality strikes or quality strikes, it doesn't matter who it is against. And now he has the ability to get ahead with not just the fastball, but he can run the fastball as a two seamer two when he wants to and implement that slider I'll tell you about. You know, Charles's comment about that side was like that was that's a megile, big pitch. Now to keep him honest and keep him off the north south pattern with his fastball and split fingers. So again, mentally, the challenge is going to be there. He's gonna look you know, he's got much stronger, there's no doubt about it. But for any pitcher, Dave, when you talk about an uptick in velocity, believe me, the pride, the ego grows and says, you know what, I'm here, That's where I want to be.
Speaker 2: Hose, what did you think about the play at the plate in the seventh inning on that RBI based sit by Mookie beds Andy Potter has slid never touch home play. JT Real Mudo never went back to tag him. They go to the challenge and the call is upheld. Take us through what you saw on that plane. You know, I felt like Piz was very fortunate to escape without hurting his ankle on a really bad slide.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's number one. Remember that home plate area usually is a little bit sticky because the hitters want to not have, you know, their feet slipping in the batter's box. So you got to be careful the way you slide. You slide much differently at home play because there's no actually surface that you can step on. Everything flat the way you would slide against the base, and you know, let's call it first, second, and third. Now what I saw is Pies just not being able to drag his foot across home plate. And now without catchers blocking home plate legally, you see more guys diving in and using the left hand to slide in and find the play. But it's not a decision that you can make, you know, last matter, you've got to be careful how you do it. And you know, real Muto in that case, a veteran Castro, I was surprised that if there's any doubt beyond you tagging him, which obviously he didn't, but go back and tech the guy. No matter what, just go back just in case. So that's what the you know, Matting has got some clearance on that, and you know clarification as to the challenge what it was. But real Muto going back and tagging him, I think it becomes an out.
Speaker 2: Would you have slid head first if your andy pat hasn't? For any runner these days with having to be given a lane, is it a lot safer now to slide head first rather than what we grew up knowing? And you're taught to go feed first into home plate especially, it.
Speaker 7: Is one where you have to decide early what's happening. You have to tell yourself exactly if you're going to go in hard, don't go in too early because you're gonna get stuck. You've got to pretty much anticipate at least a little bit of a contact with the catcher to take his feet out of him to slide feed first. Now, a lot of guys don't feel comfortable, you know, I don't see if Freddie Freeman sliding you know, headfirst into home play. But it is a pattern now which in fact organizations are telling guys because now they have protection in their hands and the wrists to do it more often because there's always going to be some white exposed at home plate, which, as you mentioned, for years, for generations you were told do not ever dive into home play because you're gonna get hurt. But now you're going to be fine that shing. Are you going to find more open lane to do it, but you got to feel comfortable doing it. You can't force it, but nonetheless you're going to find more open spots if you do that. For Anti Pyrus, that would have been tonight if he's going to if first, just go a little bit later and make sure that your feet are dragging and don't pick him up.
Speaker 2: The picture on the mount for the Phillies in the seventh inning was Oriyan Keckering, who obviously does not have great memories after what took place at the end of Game four of last year's NLDS. Did you feel like he had some nerves when he first went out there.
Speaker 7: I think there's some thinking about the moment of what happened back on, you know, that day on Game four when he came to relief Lozardo, who was a losing pitcher that night, and the a couple of pitches through to show, hey, you know, the up and end kind of got show here awakened a little bit more. But then the one he spiked, who was like, I'm over trying here, But you know what, his stuff is so good. And one thing I've learned from the guys in Philly, Dave is he talked to a lot of guys yourself too. Is they really respect Number one? The Phillies were not trying to trade him. Not easy to, you know, fail in Philadelphia and go through a whole off season like that. Number two is for charactering to really step up and say, I want to go out there and do the best I can to just remove that from the memory. It's not going to be eliminated overall, one hundred percent, but I need to go and prove that I'm not that kind of picture and I can go out there and play cash and his stuff plays quite well. He got himself, you know, a nice situation in that any where he showed the stuff that he has because he had more than one pitture to get you out. But you know it's gonna live forever. But I do applaud the way the Phillies have handled him and Dave Don braskam the top to Rob Thompson, now Dom Mattley, because the guy it's a big piece with that bothend for them.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose, We'll see how tomorrow goes down. On paper, it looks like it's a mismatch, but you know how things go in the game of baseball. But Yamamoto's on the mound, and I have a feeling that Dodgers will have a happy flight to the desert after a Sunday fun day against the Phillies.
Speaker 7: Dave about it was not gante. Let's make a Domingo very alleging, very happy. What do you think? Oh?
Speaker 3: I love that, Jose. That's gonna be a T shirt one day.
Speaker 7: Happy Sunday.
Speaker 2: Okay, Ose, we'll see you tomorrow. Quick turnaround for the Dodgers in Phillies. A day game on getaway day for both these teams. And Don Mattingley, the interim manager for the Phillies. We had a chance to catch up with him on the pregame show and like I mentioned earlier, first time Don Mattingly has been back to Dodgers Stadium since what game five of last year's World Series, and obviously, the Blue Jays won two out of three of the games played here at Dodgers Stadium. One they lost an eighteen inning affair that Freddie Freeman ended on a walk off home run. But Don Mattingly first time to the World Series as a player, as a coach, as a manager, I asked him before the game, how long did it take for him to get over the Miguel Rojas home run, the Will Smith home run in the eleventh inning, and the Dodgers beating the Blue Jays in Game seven of the World Series.
Speaker 6: It was pretty cool. It was fun. You know, it meant a lot to get to the World Series.
Speaker 11: Honestly, that's something that you fight to get to and have an opportunity to win.
Speaker 6: Obviously that didn't happen.
Speaker 11: But being able to get to my first World Series and then Snyde you know, want me to do that, it was it.
Speaker 6: Was pretty cool. Were you surprised by that gesture?
Speaker 7: I was?
Speaker 6: I was when do you spring it on you? I don't know. I was probably way too nervous for that.
Speaker 2: Also, when you lose a seven game World Series, obviously it's tough to get over. How long did it take you to get over it.
Speaker 6: It took a minute, you know, it really did.
Speaker 11: And not so much for myself really more for our team bocause those guys played really hard. We accomplished a lot, played great in that World Series, I thought. And so you feel bad for our guys, you know, those guys were you know, obviously, when you want something bad and you've worked hard for it, it's crushing when you don't get it and you're you know, it's within your grasp.
Speaker 6: So that was that was a tough time. But I think of it more not so much for me personally, but more for our players.
Speaker 3: All Right.
Speaker 2: That was Don Mattingley and really the first time we've had a chance to talk to him since everything that happened with the Dodgers celebrating back to back World Series championships. And if you remember, when Don Mattingley was the manager with the Dodgers, Clayton Khrushaw.
Speaker 3: Was coming into his own.
Speaker 2: He won two Cy Young's with Don Mattingley, won an MVP with Don Mattingley as the manager, and you know, Clayton Krushaw was at the peak of his powers when Don Mattinglee was the manager of the Dodgers, and at that point in time, Krushaw was very stubborn in a lot of different ways. And to this day Kershaw being in the stands last night, to this day, Clayton Kershaw and Don Mattingley still have a mutual respect for each other.
Speaker 11: No, it was always good, and I'd tell guys, I don't I never get mad when the guys doesn't want to come out of the game. Obviously you don't want him to show you up on the mound, but you're not asking guys to be happy to be coming out of the game. And remember Clayton told me one time, he said, you take me out whenever you think he goes, but don't take me out because you think.
Speaker 6: I'm tired, because he says, I don't get tired, right, So I'm like, O get girls. So I always like that.
Speaker 2: Hey, it was great to catch up with Don Mattinglee and his boss, the GM of the Phillies, Preston Mattingly. It was really great to spend a lot of time with those two guys these last two days and to hear the full Converse station with Don Mattingley. You know where to find it on the iHeartRadio app. Don and the Phillies will be here tomorrow as the Dodgers try to win this series against Philadelphia with Yamamoto on the mound four and for the record for Yamamoto this year is eras three zero nine, going up against right hander Andrew Payner, who's one in five with an ERA of five forty. Our coverage begins tomorrow at noon with first pitch at one ten with Rick Monday and Steven Nelson. That'll do it for us tonight on Dodger Talk. Thanks for hanging late night with us on this Saturday night, thanks to colling Ye back at our Burbank studios, Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Dodgers Stadium, and thanks to you for listening in case you missed any of the show or any of our pregame conversations with the two managers of these teams. The last two Dodger managers, Dave Roberts joins us the first game of this series, and Don Mattingley joined us before today's game, so you can find all of those conversations on the iHeartRadio app once again. The final score tonight from Dodgers Stadium. The Phillies score three in the eighth to beat the Dodgers four to three.
Speaker 3: We'll talk to you tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Have a great rest of your night, Be safe, see them