Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begune.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Here we go again. We're gay running back to.
Speaker 3: Get in on the show called eight six six, not eighty seven, two five seventy, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts. Here's your host, David Vasseas Day.
Speaker 2: Welcome the Dodger Talk. David Vase with you until eleven thirty tonight. We have one line open at eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy. A lot of Dodger fans fired up after Edwin Diaz blows the save again tonight to the Brewers as Milwaukee scores three runs. All of their hits came on singles. In fact, all five runs on ten hits were on singles. The Brewers did not have an extra base hit tonight. It's the first time they have had ten hits in a game all singles, in four years, so certainly they are staying true to their identity. They're a team that really doesn't have a big bopper in their lineup. I guess if you had to pick one, it would be Jake Bowers to hit a seeing I single through the right side of the infield in the ninth inning to drive in the go ahead run. Tonight out of the starting lineup for the Brewers, he had the most home runs this season twenty one, Churio had seventeen. They're not known for their power, and coming into this game they had just gotten swept by the Padres because they were not swinging the bat that well. And quite honestly, the Dodgers should have won this game if not for Edwin Diaz still not having the consistent feel and execution for his slider. And I think we all know by now if DZ does not have his slider, hitters can just sit on his fastball. But I will say this, his fastball has been really good, So I guess at this point in time, I know, you got to get a feel for that pitch. And Jose Mota, who's gonna join us at eleven point fifteen, has observed over the years that as a catcher, you gotta get DZ throwing that slider early in count so he gets a feel for it. Don't wait for it later in counts, And that may have been the case tonight, but nonetheless, Diaz has got to figure it out because the Dodgers need him. And you heard from Dave Roberts earlier tonight on the Clubhouse Show. Well share with you what he had to say when reporters were asking him what about taking Daz out of that high leverage closer spot, And he just threw it back at the reporters and said, Okay, who who's the alternative? Who you got at Gardo Enriquez, Jonathan Hernandez, Evan Phillips, Kyle Hurt, Alex Vesia, Jack Dreyer, Who's going to close games? Tanner Scott? All of you were calling last year saying Tanner Scott should never see the mound again. Now all of a sudden, everybody loves Tanner Scott. And look, he's had a great year. But I feel like he's had a great year because of the role he's in. He's back to that comfortable role that he was in with the Padres and the Marlins to a lesser extent. So I would love to know who your alternative is. I like the idea that Diaz should be placed into a lower leverage spot. But who is going to close out and get you the final three outs of a game and a final six outs? Because honestly, who's been really pitching that great out of the Dodger bullpen recently? I can't say there's one guy that says, yeah, that's the guy ride that hot hand. I really can't say that Tanner Scott would be the only guy. So you know, it's fine when you criticize Dave Roberts, so you say he shouldn't have done this or shouldn't have done that. But like I always tell you, all right, tell me an alternative, and that's what he was saying tonight as well. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's head to the Dodger Clubhouse right now to hear from Edwin Diaz on sports net LA.
Speaker 4: I think the inconsistency. I think I was inconsistency. I was throwing my fast but right in the middle. And when you miss rying the meddle, you get paid.
Speaker 2: So that's what I did today.
Speaker 5: When you, as you're working through this, what for you is just the biggest focus as you're looking to get that consistency back with your delivery.
Speaker 4: Try to make pitches. You know, I'm trying to make pitche and I'm trying to compete.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: At the end of the day, you know, I just tried to compete and go I'll have fun. But you know I haven't got the results. So I have one good day then back game.
Speaker 1: So I'm trying.
Speaker 4: I gotta find the way to keep pitching better.
Speaker 7: Just commanding the fast ball and throwing it where you want in the zone. Been kind of a struggle since you've come back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think my father Commando it was I was throng stribble, you know, right in the middle, and every big here I can hit far, but Rund the Americ can throw through on the masks and I went on the way here. So I gotta get better on that. Are you close, say, secutively and stretches in the passive?
Speaker 8: What have you usually done to be able to get out of it?
Speaker 9: Is there usually sort of tell is it usually the basketball command that let but usually sort of leads these stretches.
Speaker 4: I just gotta find the way to get pitch better. I think I've been in this position before and and be able to find a way to get better. I just gotta sit down with the pitching coat to see what I'm what I'm amazing, and what they say, to see if we can U fix and keep keep working hard. How they pointed out anything that's sort of they wanted you to work on between nowadays or anything like that or is that one of the things word how you kind of have to sit down with it. I always try to. So we tried to sit down with them, you know, because my last couple of gay I was feeling really good. But today, and you know, my father was I think the words signed I get here. I gotta find the way to pitch better.
Speaker 2: What do you feel like you're slighter right now?
Speaker 4: I think what's better today? I think maybe good ones. You know I got paid. You know when you may see your father go in the middle, they come see better pitches. So I think my story was good today, just you know, didn't have good commandments fast.
Speaker 2: Well does that make it more frustrated when it's kind of a new thing each day?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's frustrating because I know that, uh that I know my ability. I know what I can do in the mall and don't be able to do you know it sucks. You know, I just gotta come tomorrow and try to keep getting better.
Speaker 7: You talked about being appreciative of still being in the ninth ending as you work through this, you feel like continuing a pitch in the ninth right now, you can kind of still get to where you want to be, you.
Speaker 4: Know, as now, I gotta see what they want to do. You know, I know I'm struggling, so I want to do the best thing for our team. You know, at the end of the day, you know, they give me the ball in the nile, we try to do my job's they give me the one in another inn, and we try to do my job. Just gotta get better, be consistent. If I do, would be fine.
Speaker 2: All right. There's Edwin Diaz obviously saying everything that we're seeing and he understands that he's got to be better, and talking to him this past Sunday, I kind of felt like he had turned the corner and just like letting it grip and rip and not thinking about what could possibly happen. As far as just getting over that final mental hurdle when you come back from surgery. It's not just an injury. He did have surgery earlier this year, and sometimes for some pitchers it takes a little longer to get over that mental hurdle to know that, hey, when I throw this pitch and throw this baseball as hard as I can and spin this baseball the way it should be spun, that I'm not going to re injure my arm. And I feel like he's gotten over that mental hurdle. And when he talks about his fastball being right down the middle, the only one that really was down the middle tonight was to David Hamilton. I know he wasn't really commanding it really well. The slider got hit tonight for singles, and nothing really hit that hard. But obviously a disappointing night for Edwin Diaz and the Dodgers. After Max Munsey hit a pinch hit, three run home run with two outs in the sixth inning off of Antonio Senzateela, he felt like the Dodgers were on their way to handing the Brewers their fourth straight loss and closing the gap on them. And right now, the Dodgers lose tonight, so they're two games back of the Brewers for the top seed in the National League. And the Braves won again so the Dodgers are the Wildcard Division winner right now as it stands, eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Thomas in West Covina. Lead us off on Dodger Talk tonight. Hi Thomas, Hey David.
Speaker 10: How are you?
Speaker 2: Ah? You know, I'm happy to be back at the ballpark, Thomas. So I can't say I'm bad.
Speaker 6: Uh, you know, just a little bit frustrating looking at Edwin Diaz pitch and as you mentioned, he's blown three saves. I'm just kind of.
Speaker 2: This week but just this week is three.
Speaker 6: Right, So haven't have have an idea just when he was pitching, he just doesn't have that confidence. It just reminds me sort of like when Rookie was struggling, he didn't have that confidence. Just wondering as to why he wasn't. I was, you're looking at the game with my kids, we watched, we watched every single game, and when he was pitching, he just he just looked off. I was just wondering as to why they let him battle.
Speaker 2: His last game where he was able to uh to get the save and uh, you know, for for whatever you were seeing tonight was the guy that's saying, dang, fastball is not the way I wanted to be. Dang, my slider is not the way I want it to be. So when you don't have your two pitches, obviously you know there's a little lack of confidence. So I think that's what you were seeing tonight. And you know, Canor McGuinness is the best in the business when it comes to helping pitchers get back on track, So I would imagine that him and Edwin Diaz are talking right now. I don't even know if they they're waiting for tomorrow. So I wouldn't give up on Edwin Diaz. The Dodgers need him, Thomas, There's no way around it. Let's go out to Milo, who's coming back from the game tonight. Hi, Milo, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 11: Hey David, how you doing.
Speaker 2: I think we've established I'm doing good. Milo. You're not gonna bring me down. You're not gonna bring me down.
Speaker 11: Oh I'm not down. I have full confidence to this team. But in terms of tonight, I just don't understand why Tennor Scott didn't put back out there for the ninth inning after facing one datter, especially if Edwin Diaz had two blown saves already this week.
Speaker 2: So yeah, well, I'll say this because you know that's easy to say, But the Dodgers are in the middle of thirteen in a row. This is a four game series with no days off, and then the Dodgers keep playing after that, they go to Denver and you're gonna have to use your bullpen in Denver. So for Dave Roberts, you know, it's not just about winning today. He's got to think about the tomorrow. He's got to think about the rest of the series. He's got to think about how he's going to close out the thirteen in a row. So it's all good that you want to four out save do you want that tomorrow night too? Milo? Because Edwin Diaz is on this roster and in that bullpen for a reason. And I think it's hilarious that you and others are calling for Tanner Scott when the whole point of the Dodgers signing Edwin Diaz was because Tanner Scott did not have a good year last year, and everybody was only for Tanner Scott's head last year at this time.
Speaker 11: Yeah, but I see that Yamamoto could go deep into the game tomorrow, and uh, the doctors are facing guy with a four ra so yeah, I think they could do better tomorrow.
Speaker 2: So who do you want to close? So you go four out save, you go four out saved tonight? You want Tanner Scott to what? Go for a four out saved tomorrow because it doesn't seem like anybody else is really pitching that great? And then what do you want to do if they have the lead against Misowski and the Brewers on Saturday?
Speaker 11: Well, I say the bullpen is rested at that point?
Speaker 2: Is it is Tanner Scott rested? I mean, who are you going to? Who Who's game on Saturday?
Speaker 11: You could go to? You could go to Tanner Scott.
Speaker 1: I mean, holy pitch three.
Speaker 2: In a row. After a four out saved tonight and tomorrow night, you know another four out safe, You're gonna go to Tanner Scott three three straight days. Look, I'm not opposed to Tanner Scott being the closer, but he can't pitch every night. At some point Edwin Diaz is going to have to pitch. And you know another thing that's compounding all of this is the Dodgers may have expected a little bit too much out of Evan Phillips after not pitching for two years, to throw him back into the fire in high leverage situations, because again, at the beginning of the year, I was questioning, who is going to be that right handed reliever that is going to get out a high leverage at bat like Fernando Tatis, Junior Manny Machado, Andrew Vaughan. Who's going to be that guy? And the Dodgers really haven't found that guy. Edgardo Enriquez has been that guy at certain points in time in the season. Brock Stewart's been on and off the il all season long, so and Edwin Diaz is struggling. So that's that's a huge question mark for this bullpen right now. Who is their high leverage right handed reliever? Raise your hand if you're that guy. Eight sixty six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Justin was at Dodgers Stadium tonight, Hi, Justin, Do you want Tanner Scott to pitch the rest of the forty games?
Speaker 12: I don't want him pitching the rest of the forty games. I wanted him to definitely do the updown tonight. Here's the deal, here's my reasoning. Let's just look at straight up stats. This year, Tanner Scott six has sixteen saves, two blown saves. Edwin DZ yes he has had surgery, isn't in in the plus column for him? Six saves, three blown saves. Who has more blown saves of the two? I'd say that's DS. He doesn't. Tonight he pitched with zero confidence, no urgency, and no and there was nothing to that slider. It was so sloppily. He is not our closer, Tanner Scott. If I'm tan i am, I am bounding my fist on Dave's desk. He was a closer in in San Diego. That's why we signed him and he has been sustaining that job season until DS came back.
Speaker 2: He is urged, were you calling and screaming last year that Tanner Scott had to go? Because I think it's just hilarious now everybody's calling for Tanner Scott now after last year they were calling for his head.
Speaker 12: Let's talk about now you're like, well, do you want to save arms? Yeah, so let's do by that philosophy. Let's do another bullpen game so we can give ya momodo another day's rest. Well, doesn't make sense you.
Speaker 2: Know that the rotation is they don't have to do a bullpen game. And Blake Snell saved the bullpen when he pitched the other night, so that was a that was a big boost for the bullpen. But my point is, I'm not opposed to Tanner Scott closing out the game from here on out until Diz gets back on track. I'm not opposed to that. But how are you going to get to Tanner Scott if nobody's really throwing the baseball that well, and if you're going to have to use Daz in the seventh inning, he could blow the game in the seventh inning too.
Speaker 12: Gives me a shot to get back in the game. And we're gonna overlook Vessia's contribution.
Speaker 10: I guess too, right, And it's like us a lot.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of miles on that on that arm, and you know, I, you know, I I get. Do you want Vessie to close?
Speaker 12: I know I want Tanner Scotts my closer, the guy that's his job.
Speaker 2: Well, he's the only other option. If you had to say, like Dave Roberts was saying, who's the option, Tanner Scott would be that guy.
Speaker 12: You're getting and you know you're getting glass now back, you're getting these guys like are like, look at what that rotation is going to be when it's one hundred percent, which is coming in the next two or three weeks. So like, let's plan for that. Players with the put the guy in the position who is getting it up, getting it done seventeen safe fact, Edwin Diaz blowing saves fact at a fifty clip. That's your guy. And I think it's really bad for Gave to come out there and say, like, well, who do you think it should be? Canner's earned that job, and I really think he owes him to give him some credit for what he's done.
Speaker 2: All right, justin thank you for the phone call. Eight sixty six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Yeah, this was Dave Roberts earlier tonight when he was asked about who he may go to if it's not Edwin Diaz.
Speaker 13: Give me another option. I mean, I think that you've got to You can't just you can't just I can't just say change in low leverage. I have to have other options. And you know, to be quite honest, none of those guys really are throwing the baseball great, So you know you, I mean, that's just kind of the way it is.
Speaker 12: This doesn't necessarily solid.
Speaker 9: But could you go to more of the closer mind committee type thing more?
Speaker 2: Do you still think it's.
Speaker 13: Just going with him?
Speaker 9: Is the better?
Speaker 13: You know, we got to get other guys on track to even have that to be a I mean even a valid conversation, to be honest with you.
Speaker 8: Playing the manager can do that.
Speaker 13: Who's the other option?
Speaker 9: Bill?
Speaker 13: I mean, you know, you look back at the last week and guys have struggled, and then I'm not going to sit here and play carousel and chase my tail and say when a guy's struggling and then when he doesn't pitch, well, then it's like why are you pitching him? So I don't do that. You know, everyone's got a role. They all have jobs to do, and they all have to do their job.
Speaker 2: That's it, all right. That was Dave Roberts earlier tonight asking the question, if not Edwin Diaz, then who Obviously there's been some passionate fans that are stating the obvious. Yes, Tanner Scott would be that guy. So we'll see, we'll see where it goes from here. But Obviously, the Dodgers paid Edwin Diaz to be their closer, it just hasn't happened so far consistently since coming back from elbow surgery or having those loose bodies removed from his right pitching arm. Let's go out to Tustin, Doug. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Doug?
Speaker 1: I'm doing great, Dave.
Speaker 9: How you doing?
Speaker 6: Man?
Speaker 1: Hey?
Speaker 2: Feeling good?
Speaker 10: All right?
Speaker 9: Well, love the passion, Well, I appreciate you. I wanted to start off on a positive note, man, because we can all get down on the Dodgers for this and that, but I just do. I want to start off with my guy Maggie and Maxie. They they helped me watch the game every night. I love these I love Meggy's leadership, Maxie's always coming in clutch. But I just want to talk about it. I'm not impressed by scooball for sure. We're paying all this money for school, Ole Diaz and all these guys come over. I'm not super impressed by him.
Speaker 1: Diaz.
Speaker 9: I mean, I heard I heard his uh what he was saying on in the interview afterwards. I feel for him, but you know, he's he's still got to like, you know, handle business. Blake Snell is literally the only picture I feel confident and that can go out there and handle business. When he starts, you know, he starts getting off on his game.
Speaker 6: I can see him.
Speaker 9: He's got the confidence and it to to to change it up. I don't feel that. Like, honestly, I know you were talking about how Diaz did have the confidence the other day with with his with his save, but honestly, I felt like it wasn't confident. It was it was more like he was like, you know, like it was luck in a sense.
Speaker 2: Uh No, I mean I don't think that. Maybe in that ninth inning when he stranded Corb and Carrol, I feel like he kind of just started to say, you know what, I'm just gonna let it rip here, go with my fastball and compete my way through it. And then he was able to come back after that and save a game and it looked a lot better. So I can understand why Dave Roberts felt good enough to go with him in a two run game in the ninth inning. But look, I I will concede if there was one obvious choice other than Edwin Diaz, it would be Tanner Scott at this point, Thank you.
Speaker 9: Thank you. And I wasn't one of the guys that called in talking about Tanner Scott last year. It is what it is, but you know, it was just it was crazy how like Rick Monday read my mind tonight and I was just thinking, Man, Tanner Scott's got that. And this is something about about having the confidence when you walk on the mound, and I feel like Tanner Scott does have that. So if you if you want to hear what I said, I'd say closers. So let me ask you this, I guess let me start off with this, David. I appreciate all of your knowledge and loyalty to to the to the Dodgers who've actually helped me become like the most avid Dodger fan because of listening to you and all the knowledge that you have. You and Oral Horscheiser.
Speaker 2: But you're a sick man to put me in the same sentence as Oral Herscheiser. But go ahead, Doug. You already hurt your credibility, So go ahead. What do you got?
Speaker 9: I didn't mean it, I didn't mean like that or I'm super impressed.
Speaker 2: By I'm just kidding. What do you got, Doug? You could fire anything at me and then we'll end the call. What do you got?
Speaker 9: So why why why can't we use them?
Speaker 10: Because?
Speaker 9: I mean, you got way more baseball knowledge of me. I I'm like, a, I guess a recent baseball Like.
Speaker 2: We don't know that. Just ask the question. You don't have to preface it that way. Just ask the question, how come?
Speaker 9: How come we can't use like like pictures that that are are you know, starting pitchers, or pictures that that pitch in like the sixth and seventh inning that come in as closers. You know what I'm saying, So, like, why can't you use Uh, I don't know. Well no, no, no, dude, you're definitely not.
Speaker 2: I'm just thinking the reason why you can't use starting pictures is because they're creatures of habit. They just threw one hundred pitches in their last start and you can't go back to them as relievers. That's something you do in playoff time when every things at stake, and uh, you're not going for a marathon, you're going for a sprint. But hey, can we just agree that Tanner Scott's the the option if it's not Edwin Diaz In the short term, Doug.
Speaker 9: I would I would say I would say that that's it. I mean, I'm not going to get down on anybody. I hope, I hope we all just get back to to what we need to do. But you know, I would just say that that in the clubhouse, that's the leadership with the Mickey Rojas and Maxie and and all those all those clutch guys. I hope we just all kind of bring back together, help these pitchers get back into to what they need to be doing for us.
Speaker 2: But I mean, Key K will get to Edwin Ds too. He helped recruit Edwin DS to the Dodgers, so Key K and Edwin Diaz would have that connection, you know, to keep his spirits up. Let's go out to Calabasas. Mike. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Mike?
Speaker 10: I'm doing all right, Dave. Look, I knew this. This has been structural. Like we had Jansen he got benched for the World Series. We had to have a starter going to a closer role there. We had Tanner Scott bench last year, Walker Buehler had to close things. We had Yamamoto last year. Like there's just something that we're not evaluating correctly on closers and a lot of it. Nobody's scared of Tanner Scott, nobody scared of Dias. I mean they're throwing nine seven ninety eight. But you know, there's there's no Mason Miller, there's no Killed Smith from the Guardians or Johan Duran. We got to have somebody out there with some fire. I'm just curious who was evaluating this and making these decisions, because it's we've not had one for a decade.
Speaker 2: Well, the last true closer the Dodgers had was Kenneley Jansen, and now he has four hundred and ninety saves, so he's still going pretty strong and he's been very consistent over the last five years. So Kennelly Jansen was the last true closer the Dodgers had before Edwin Diaz. They thought they had their guy. He was guy, and look, they still believe he can be that guy. It's just been a rough season with him having to undergo surgery and then coming back. Look, Pep, these guys are human beings. It's not that easy to come back from having surgery on your pitching arm. It's really not as easy as you guys think. And there's a process to coming back and feeling like yourself. We talk about Evan Phillips. Everybody thinks, oh, yeah, he went through the rehab process. Put him out there on the mound. He'll be fine, He'll be the same guy. Maybe myself included. We didn't take into account the guy hasn't pitched in two years, and it's gonna be tough for him to be that guy this year. Will he be that guy again next year? Yes, I would say there's a greater chance of that, but he's working through it edwhen Diaz is working through it and they're working through it in big league games, that manner in big spots.
Speaker 10: Yeah, No, it's more. Miller was available last year, Deron was available last year.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But I mean the Padres overpaid for closer there, Mike. I mean, you're not gonna give away the number two prospect for a closer. That was just crazy? All right, Mike, thank you for the phone call. Appreciate it. Tonight's game brought to you by Modello Modello the Mark of a Fighter. When we continue, more of your phone calls at eight sixty six, nine to eighty seven, two five seventy, Jose Moto will check in as well as the Dodgers blow the game in the ninth inning as the Brewers score three and the brew crew beats them five to four on five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 11: Dodger fans, this is Max Mounsey. You're listening to the home of the back to back world champion Los Angeles Dodgers on AM five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 2: Send to Tella, send it the chest. There go the runners. Here comes a pitch, a fly ball, and the deep right center field is way back firing.
Speaker 1: Hy three run, ten home run for Max Monthly.
Speaker 2: Max Monsey coming up clutch again. Max Monsey with a pinchhit th re run home run to give the Dodgers the lead in the sixth inning. It would not turn out to be a win for the Dodgers, as the Brewers come back with three runs in the ninth inning and beat the Dodgers tonight five to four in Game one of this four game series. Daniels Jewelers presents the home run forecast for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jewelers gift card. Visit AM five to seventy LA sports dot com. Use the keyword home run and to your name, you could win Daniel's jewelers own the dream. Not only did Max Monsey hit his first pinchhit home run since twenty eighteen, Max Monsey made history tonight with that home run because he passed Eric Carrows for the most home runs hit in the history of Dodgers Stadium. This place has hosted games Major League games Dodger games since nineteen sixty two. Max Munsey, with one hundred and thirty one home runs, now has the distinction of being that guy that has hit the most home runs in the history of this ballpark, the third oldest stadium in all of Major League Baseball. And think of some of the great players that have played here since nineteen sixty two. We're talking about Garvey, We're talking about Say, we're talking about Frank Howard, those type of power hitters, Mike Piazza and a. Max Monsey passed Eric Carros tonight, who had that distinction before tonight. They were tied at one hundred and thirty home runs a piece. And Eric Carros was in the booth tonight with Joe Davis on Sportsnet LA when Monsey launched his one hundred and thirty first career home run at Dodger Stadium. And this is what Eric Carros said on the broadcast. You did it months, you did it now the all time home run leader at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 11: Max Muncie, congratulations, brother.
Speaker 2: That's what makes the Dodgers special, the players that have won the unif warn the uniform, and the first class people that have worn the uniform. And Eric Carros is as first class as they come. Not a guy that's salty that somebody broke his record, but happy and celebrating the guy that broke the record. And going back to Max Muncy, h he has been incredible since the All Star break. When it comes to clutch hits, think about this, going back to July seventeenth at Yankee Stadium, he hit a two run, go ahead home run off of Garrett Cole, and then on that same road trip he hits a two run, go ahead home run off of Zach Wheeler. Both those games were two to one wins for the Dodgers. And then how about just on this homestand he hits a three run basis clearing double against John Schreiber of the Royals. He hit that walk off tenth inning base hit off of Lucas Ersig and then tonight that pinchhit go ahead, three run home run off of Antonio Senzateela, which should have been the difference in the game, but and when Diaz blew the save and the Dodgers fall to the Brewers tonight five to four. All Right, we'll get back to the phone calls if we can, but first let's go out to Jose Moda.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 2: All Right, Jose Mota, you've heard from Dave Roberts, You've heard from Edwin Diaz, you have heard from the passionate Dodger fans that are playing now incredibly for Tanner Scott to be the closer. How did the Dodgers figure out getting the final three outs of a game as soon as tomorrow night.
Speaker 8: Hey, I'm gonna give you some numbers here, Dave. Okay, uh, there's a guy they have that when it comes out to are you there, yeah, okay, okay, here's a guy on the mountain that when it comes down to the guy leading up an inning, he has allowed a two twenty seven on base percentage and an average of two twenty seven. The other thing is when he phrases, the first batter, it's pretty neutral. With two shrines, they're hitting one thirty against them. On first pace, they're hitting one thirty six against them. And then on top of that, if you look at the innings and the ninth inning, he has an ERA of two seventy four average against one ninety ops five twenty six. Eighth inning ERA two thirty three ohps six twenty five. His name's Tanner Scott. And to me, if you're looking for an answer right now, it's that guy.
Speaker 2: Why was Dave Roberts saying, give me an option to the reporters. Isn't the option pretty obvious? It's Tanner Scott. If it's not Edwin Diaz, we.
Speaker 8: Know very well Dave is very loyal to guys like this. You look what happened last year in September. It took five losses by Blake trying to finally say you know it's over. Then Blake trying gets the save buying tasaki against these Brewers basis load over Milwaukee. So but let me point something out too. In August, Tanner Scott coming into today one to eighty two average against ERA of zero and three in the third so there's options, But I understand what he's saying, and but I also worry more, Dave about the confidence for Edwin Diaz. I mean, I don't want this guy to get into even more important games if the standings get a little closer, and then not have the confidence or the stuff. It's about stuff in the big leagues. And if hitters are not fearing you, which they are not right now, that's an issue. So if you're going to worry about who's going to close to more of the next day, you worry about today. I mean, you gotta be worried about today. Edwins is a professional. You hear his words. He's not saying I'm the closer here. That's what I gotta do. It's like if they tell me to do something else, I'm gonna do it. And without contradicting day, but just making a point about if I am asked that question, and I'm going to say, here's a guy that even the most important stat which is first matter faith, it has not been an issue with him. And people can point to the pressure non pressure, but nonetheless, this guy's got sixteen saves and you've got to give him every chance to help you out as a team while he helps out Erwin Diaz get back on truck because you want Edwin Diaz to be the guy than every important victory and series. He's stunding on the mound getting that safe for you. But right now the way his pitching is not happening.
Speaker 2: So do you believe if Edwin Diaz is pitching in the seventh inning, the results for Edwin Diaz would be different? Or it just gives the Dodgers a little bit more room for error if he does give up a couple of runs to give the offense a chance to come back before before just three outs left in the.
Speaker 8: Game, that is the case, just a little more room for error. You want them to go out there and succeed and save that inning. As we recall you and I, we're here when David Price was here and he finally heard so many guys saying I should be closing. Why I'm up? David Price goes, hey, you're inning to close. It's the sixth inning. Go out there and close that inning. And Dave Roberts himself said, guys have to do their job. They have a job to do, so whatever they give you, you throw a zero. Before you know it. Things will just find their way in their roles and nobody's gonna complain because eventually it's about the team getting the job done with everybody contributing, and you just never know by the fault who's gonna end up saving a game, like the other day it was Jack Dryer. I mean, there's so many things that happened throughout the whole season, but in order to align, and to me, the psyche is a big part of this whole thing with Diaz and to find that slider day and you mentioned it earlier, every catcher he's had has told me in clinning Francisco overus, I have to find that slider early in an inning, in early a account to see what it's doing. Even the one where you got Controls out today that was not really a very good pitch. He doesn't want that slider to go there. And the reason Controls didn't hit it is because it was a front door slider, which you're not trying to do, but just spun back right like I said, that mixer, we you're not expecting, which is an indication that his arm is still not catching up what his legs are in the arm slide and not consistent to have command on two pitches, and that's dangerous for a closer.
Speaker 2: Jose Mode is joining us after the Brewers come from behind and score three runs in the ninth inning to beat the Dodgers tonight five to four. So is it more his psyche or is it more the mechanics or getting the feel for the slider or is it a combination of both, Which one would you say is weighing the other?
Speaker 8: I think now the mentality in the psyche is affecting everything else because he wants everything to be perfect right away, right So the mind is telling the body and the arm, I want you to get this out. How am I going to get that out? If I'm not right on the mechanical side and Edwin can find there's no doubt we've seen some glimpse of of it. We see some command, we've seen some velocity. But I think overall and I saw him work hard today. Early today he was spending time with kernermagainness they're trying to figure things out with release point, armslot, where the hands are, where the fingers are, to get it all done. But my concern is more about when Edwin Diaz really needs to step up here in the next few weeks, which is now, where's his mentality, where's his confidence? And we know that you would like to have an assigned closer because that's what he signed him for, right, But there's other guys that can lead you to that if they're allowed to just go out there and escalate, get a little bit better. And although the options might be a little limited. We know about Phillips obviously, and Riquez. It's a guy that has shown glimpses. He's not ready, but at some point he's got to go out there and say what's better for Diaz, what's better for the Dodgers, and go from there.
Speaker 2: Okay, how about tonight? I know, coming back up the stairs, there were fans saying, why didn't they bring back Tanner Scott for the ninth inning? We've had callers say this same thing, not being a Monday morning quarterback. But is it fair to second guess that. I mean, after the last time Diaz was out, would you have brought Tanner Scott back out for a four out save? At some point you got to pitch Diaz.
Speaker 8: I would not have done that. I would would brought Dias in. I would have done that. I mean, Tanner Scott did his job in getting that out, and you mentioned the last time of the bes pitch he looked a little bit better. So yeah, today would have been the day to say, here's your chance. He just did not execute it. It's an issue something else on Tanner Scott. Highest percentage a first restruct from a Dodger anybody Tanner Scott seventy three percent. So there's a lot of things that we can line up and say, well, the last four or five acercent I've been the same. But overall, the collective tells me that he's perhaps a very good candidate to say, anyone, let me give you a little break right here, I can take the ball go from there. In the big of the challenge we've seen from him when Aedlin is not here, there's no issues with Tanner Scott. There's a couple of little glitches here and there, but he ended up doing the job. So yeah, today would have been a one. You know, go back to your question where you have to bring Diaz in, No doubt about it, he's got to do a better job. Bottom line, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Jose, We'll see what happens tomorrow when the Dodgers have to get the final three outs if they have a lead, and I kind of feel like they will, so it'll be interesting to see who comes out of those bullpening gates tomorrow night. Thanks a lot for helping us break it down. I think it's staring us all in the face right now. Tanner Scott would be that guy, So thank you, Jose, better.
Speaker 8: Show David go out there and have fun with the fans. Let him taunt it.
Speaker 2: Why not? All right? Thanks a lot, Thanks a lot for checking in, Jose. There he goes Jose moda part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast, And yeah, I mean you look at those deeper numbers when it comes to Tanner Scott that he shared with us, even before he shared that with us, he's the most obvious candidate to close for the Dodgers if it's not Edwin Diaz or until Diz gets back on track. But I just think it's hilarious now. Everybody wants Tanner Scott after last year, not believing that Tanner Scott could get the job done, and he had a He had a rocky first year, no doubt about it. But he certainly has put it together this season, and yeah, would be the guy. If it's not Diaz, Let's take one more phone call before we say goodnight, Manny and downtown walk us off tonight on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna walk it off with the Dodger fans who called in doubting my guy, Edwin Diaz. You know what I understand. Guys hasn't had a good week, just came back from a big time surgery, has not had the time under his belt. So Dodger fans take a chill pill. Let's let's let's let this guy kind of come into his own because I hate to say this, He's not going anywhere anytime soon. He's signed a very big contract, so he's gonna play and he needs to get this out of the system now. I'd rather have him do this now than in October, because he is gonna pitch an October. So shout out to Edwin Diez. He's gonna be Flye and Max Munsey. He's had such a hot, bad day. Like man, he's like the heartbeat of this team right now. Comes in there, he does his job, shows up on his big day the other day, I babblehead night. I mean, what more can you ask for from him? I mean, he's a class guy, you know, on and off the field. Max Bunsey, I'd love to meet that guy one day. Get an autographed would be a huge honor. And lastly, Freddie Freeman is probably the toughest guy team. I don't know how he got into a uniform tonight, but that shows a lot of heart and a lot of grit. This seem's gonna be okay. It's bilt for October, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Manny, thank you for the phone call. I have loved the way the fans have really made Max Munsey feel appreciated, because I know at times he hasn't felt that. And I do appreciate the fans letting Max Munsey hear their appreciation. Going back to that game against Kansas City a couple of nights ago where he had that big Basis clearing double, they were chanting his last name, month see, Month, see, and then tonight giving him the loud ovation after the home run. Trust me, he hears it. He appreciates it. And when a guy's been here this long, sometimes you take him for granted because everybody's looking for what's next, and who's that shiny new toy. It's great to hear Dodger fans have the loyalty and appreciation for a guy like Max Muncie who actually was struggling coming into this homestand but has turned it around. So he's been clutch his entire Dodger career, but especially on this homestand and ever since the All Star Break. All Right, tomorrow, Game two of this four game series against the Brewers. That's the beauty of baseball. You can't just sit around and feel sorry for yourself. You've got to pick yourself up, wake up tomorrow, and come back and play the same team that you're trying to run down for the best record in the National League. And what better pitcher to have on the mount tomorrow than Yoshi Yamamoto, in my opinion, the best pitcher in baseball. There is no other pitcher I would rather have on the mound in a big game than Yamamoto. Maybe snail Zilla, but Yamamoto. He's eleven and seven with an ERA of two sixty four two sixty five, going up against Robert Gasser, who's three and four with an ERA of four fifty seven. Freddie Freeman is going to have a scheduled day off, and yes, incredible, he was in the starting lineup tonight. Our coverage begins at six o'clock, first pitch at seven ten. Thanks to Colin Ee back at our Burbank Studios, Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Dodgers Stadium, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show or our pregame conversation with manager Dave Roberts, part of the Manager's Meeting, presented by Downy Hundai. You can find it on the iHeartRadio app. Once again, the final score tonight, the Brewers come from behind and beat the Dodgers five to four. Have a great rest of your night. Ben Maller on Fox Sports Radio is next. See Up Away