Speaker 1: All right, it is the Mojo in the morning show. The phone number is eight four four Mojo Live eight four four six sixty five six five four eight. Kev's told us in our pre show meeting that Josiah was a little bit. I don't know. I say bad because Josiah can never be bad. Josiah's bad is not bad, is it? No?
Speaker 2: No, he's not He's not bad. That's not the word I would use. I was, he say, But I had a little attitude problem.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: Josiah's off for school for two weeks for spring break, and I basically allowed Joe to kind of do whatever he want to do, like it's like a free vacation, no real rules, kind of go to sleep kind of whenever, as long as he go to be about three, like I'm straight. But with this freedom, Josiah does not like when you try to take away that freedom or limit that freedom. And I feel like he has a hard time understanding how blessed he is to stay up as long as he wants to, to be able to go in refrigerator and get whatever he wants to, to watch TV, to go to sleep at three am, to play these games that he forgets. How amazing. That is for five or six days straight. So when the seventh day comes and you tell him no, we about to do something else, he doesn't respond in the way that I think he should respond. And ever since Josiah was born, his mom and I have allowed him to vocalize his opinion.
Speaker 1: We never wanted to silence him.
Speaker 2: We never wanted them to feel like just because he's a child, he doesn't have a voice. And when he asks questions, we don't just say because I said so, Like we like to provide a reason, although sometimes you don't need to know the reason.
Speaker 1: You know it is because I say so. But that's neither here nor there.
Speaker 2: So it comes to a point where I'm telling Joe Saia like, this is what we're going to do. Shut down everything else, and he starts to talk back. He start to pop off with his mouth, and a piece of me is like, Nah, don't hit Josiah. I've never been well, I don't like beating kids and all of that.
Speaker 1: You feel me. I donet been through guys.
Speaker 2: I'd have had my ass with several I just don't feel like that's the best way to approach these type of situations. But it'd be the moments where it's like, dog, I need to like I want to beat your ass like copus, you know what I'm saying, but like I don't. So my thing was we was about to watch it movie when I got popcorn pizza, the whole vibe. He was still popping off his arm, like, shut all this down to go to give me your damn eyepass. Shut down the laptop like all that, take your ass upstairs, you go want to bid seven o'clock, Like you go to bid. He's still I'm like, take your ass to bid, and I shut down everything. And he woke go the next morning and he was cool, but he still had a little spice to him, and I'm like, dog, like I don't know what to do for it.
Speaker 1: So even after you took away all the fun stuff, he didn't wake up the next morning going dad, I'm sorry, Can I have my stuff back? Or he you can tell he woke up different.
Speaker 2: Maybe the long sleep that he had helped, but he still had a little bit of spice in him, like he was still a little bit like the punishment wasn't long enough.
Speaker 1: Thirteen.
Speaker 2: Oh it's thirteen, and that's in my mom I'm like Okay, you're clearly going through a change right now, and I need to not necessarily, I need to understand that and you know, walk through that with you. But that still doesn't give you license to act up.
Speaker 1: You know, I body slammed Jo. I'll get him in a second. Here him in our back, in our kitchen, and I know exactly where I was standing, right in front of the stove. He talked back and I looked at him and I said what and he said it again? And he was middle school and I literally picked him up and I picked him up, grabbed him and put him to the ground and got on top of him. It's like, you fat as it was. It wasn't funny to Chelsea. Chelsea was like, because Chelsea's like, how cav was. Chelsea's like, we do not touch the kids. We did that, and I go, Chelsea, I'm sorry. But he needed it at that moment. He needed that moment to have stone cold Steve dad. Yeah, you know that's how I'm feeling, dog like.
Speaker 2: I remember my dad and I we got into two kind of like fistfights when I was younger. One he took me outside and I don't remember if I ran back in and locked the door on him or what happened. But something happened there and then the other one was in my grandma bedroom and I caught him. But I remember when I was younger, we used to spend a lot of time at my grandma's house and my uncle the worst punishment that ever happened. He used to make me sit downstairs on the basement steps and he used to make me sit there for hours, bro, And I remember I used to fall asleep sometimes I was there so long. But that was the worst punishment ever. So I think immediately we try to go to physical and I don't like that for many reasons. I don't think that's the best way or the ultimate, you know, course correction.
Speaker 1: But I don't know. I need some help, bro. You know what. One two friends that offered to do something for me. I never did it with the keis and if you want to do it, we'll do it. One of the friends was the whole scared straight thing. He worked at the presence, yeah, and was basically just going see what it looks like. That was one of the things never did that. The other one was a friend of mine that wanted their church volunteered and they did the whole picking up stuff on the sides of the road things, but it was almost kind of like putting the kids to like labor where they had to do something. See, I don't think he need like his thing isn't to that extreme.
Speaker 2: Like I don't think I need to have him go to jail and do the scary straight thing or pick up trash. I think, honestly, maybe I just need to not give him as much freedom well so that when I take it away, it's not like this crazy you know, you give her UNO card.
Speaker 1: You basically said for two weeks, you could go to bed at any time you want to and you can do whatever you want to. I mean you kind of as are asking, you know, what to turn is.
Speaker 3: So does he get like this with Jasmin?
Speaker 1: And so this this week he with Jasmine.
Speaker 2: I mean, she's gonna call me sometimes and like she she said, Joe be crashing out sometimes, but it's mostly around like school work, Like he has a heavy load of schoolwork. So there will be moments whereas he just he's overwhelmed. Yeah, and she'll allow him to kind of like rage a little bit and being real and back in. But this had nothing to do with school where it's like, I don't think you had a reason for behaving the way you did other than the fact that you just wanted another night to stay to three am of roadblocks And I told you couldn't be on the call with the homies you on the call week.
Speaker 1: I mentioned this on the air when Shannon talked about, uh, you know Lucy a couple of weeks ago with something, and I said, when you are a middle school kid, your hormones are like crazy, You're going through a change in your body, like all this stuff. Middle school is the one time in my kid's life, the three years of my kid's life that I wish I could forget. Really, they oh, they hated apparently, you know us and Chelsea always understood it. I didn't understand it. I'm like, you know, why are they hating me? I didn't do anything that so hard?
Speaker 4: Like keV, I don't know what to do either half the time with lou and she's in sixth grade with Size and seventh grade, and it like I feel for their I feel for them and what they're going through and like these emotions that they don't know what to do with, And I feel like a crazy person because at the same time, I'm going through the same thing. So like when Lucy's crashing out, I feel like I start to crash out too, and that just makes the situation so much worse.
Speaker 5: So it's like I'm trying to like deflate. Is that even the word?
Speaker 4: Yeah, deflet myself before I like tend to her.
Speaker 1: It's hard.
Speaker 5: It's hard.
Speaker 1: Hi, Anthony, Hey, guys, what's going on morning?
Speaker 6: All right? So keV hear me out. I'm literally going through the same thing that you're going through with my son Jacob. But the problem is he's ten and in fifth grade. So when they go on like breaks and things like that, or even on the weekends, you know, I let him stay up talk this homies on social you know, the little social media and all that stuff, and the Fortnite calls that they're on. But there comes a time where I'm like, okay, Jacob is Sunday time, is said everything down. I usually have him shut everything down at a thirty He'll get an attitude and you know, again, I'm like you, I don't put my hands on my kid, but I'll give him a certain look and then he'll just start room raging through the room, trying to straighten stuff up, but messing it up at the same time. I'm like, oh, okay, that's what we're doing. So I don't know if you're familiar with what's going on. The new trend is like you know, how you make your kids exercise or do the Drew Hills or and all that. Yeah, So I'm like, Okay, you got all this energy, you want to roy, you want a room rage, Let's go ahead. Let's go out in the garage and go into the gym. Because my garage is a gym. I'm like, okay, cool, let's go out here. I said, you got five minutes of Drew Hils, and I'll tell you when to stop. Said I don't want to do that. I'm not trying to hear it.
Speaker 7: Go ahead, you got.
Speaker 6: All the energy, Let's go ahead and do that. Let's go ahead and go out here, and then maybe afterwards you think about how he came across with the situation, you know what I mean. So maybe make him do a few Drew Hills.
Speaker 2: So you know, Drew Hill to R and B group, So there are dance moves that take place in Drew Hill, so it's like a jump hop. So that's like the punishment was like over and over.
Speaker 1: Kevin put on five steps, so we gonna get busy, Kevin. My Joe just walked in. Joe, do you remember when you were in middle school and I wrestled your ass to the ground in the kitchen.
Speaker 3: I won that fight. I don't know what you're talking about, Joe.
Speaker 1: What happened?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I probably did What did I do?
Speaker 1: You were mouthing off, you were talking back.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, I think I probably said something to my mom and then uh my mom gave my dad a look and was like, be the man.
Speaker 1: He was the only he was the only guy I knew I could take. I would never be able to take anybody else. But do you remember being in middle school and how difficult that was? Like the time that time of your life at all? Yeah, So because of Kev's son, Joe is going through that right now. He lets his kids stay up till three o'clock in the morning playing video games.
Speaker 3: Wait what really?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 2: So he's on spring break right now, he's got weeks off. He works very hard. Yeah, so he can stay up and do his thing till three. But the moment you tell him shut down, the laptop, turn off the game. It's not time to talk to these people anymore. All of a sudden, he's tried to get an attitude and he's starting to pop off any of those people, Joe and Jed.
Speaker 3: Joe say, hey, man, we were on a three game win streak. What the hell?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not having any Joe?
Speaker 3: Would you recommend that Kevin take it to a physical level?
Speaker 1: Do you think that at all helped you?
Speaker 3: That's a great question. And it absolutely beat your son.
Speaker 1: That's a good idea. All right, we got you turned out, it all worn out, hit him, and you don't have any bad memories of that time, do you?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, not at all.
Speaker 3: I probably deserved it.
Speaker 5: I would give anything to see video of.
Speaker 1: Called me a fat ass too. That was one time I called me a fat ass last time. What's going on, Colleen? How you doing?
Speaker 8: Hey?
Speaker 9: Good morning?
Speaker 1: Good morning?
Speaker 7: Hi Hi.
Speaker 9: I thought a few things. One I struggled personally as an adult, and one of my two children do just like transition phases. One I can go like, hey, we're shutting the TV off, No big deal. The other one needs you know, like, hey, this is the last twenty minutes. Hey, and ten minutes, Hey, in five minutes, they need like a kind of like a transitional type reminder. And then just as a punishment as a child, when I or my brothers would maybe act like this, my dad would take away our choices to make us realize how many choices we had. So, for example, if I started making bad decisions, like I knew tomorrow I was supposed to spend the day of my dad and he got popcorn and we're going to the movies and all these things, but I still decided to stay up till three am that morning and not send alarm and be all crabby and mean. Well, then that whole day, like he decided what I wanted to eat? Were my brothers got to pick? He decided this? You know this, So throughout the day, I'd realized, like, dang, I get to make a lot of decisions. I'd better start making, Like.
Speaker 3: Do you have the game time around keV? Do you have a station lockdown?
Speaker 2: Then no, he's a he's a PC gamer. So it's all like it was a little computer.
Speaker 5: So could you just could you set screen time?
Speaker 1: I don't know, I'll share it.
Speaker 3: He's probably really smart. He'll probably learn how to hack into he'll set a screen timeer on your phone.
Speaker 1: What's up, Ashley?
Speaker 3: Hi, good morning, how are you guys?
Speaker 1: Good morning? Okay, what's going on? So?
Speaker 8: I am a child and family therapist. So one of the questions that I had, and it sounds like you guys had already answered, it, was was he talking to friends while he was on his devices when you told him to turn it off?
Speaker 2: Maybe I don't know for sure, let's just say yes, let's just say yeah, he was okay.
Speaker 8: So at thirteen, developmentally kids really could care less about family members and wanting to be a part of like their family group. They are way more interested in worrying about their friends and fitting in. And if I mean, you guys have to think back when you were that age and how much you were. It's always the what's.
Speaker 7: The hottest trend? What can I wear? What can how can I fit in with my peers? And in a lot of ways, you are getting in the way of that, Like you are you telling him to turn off the device. You are now a barrier of.
Speaker 8: Him continuing to fit in with his friends and communicate with them in the ways that he wants to. So obviously touchy feely therapist over here. I'm also a mom, so I get it.
Speaker 6: But what I.
Speaker 8: Would say is I don't necessarily disagree with the last color with transitions times either giving like warnings of hey man, ten more minutes and then we're going to turn off the devices to do whatever comes next. The other thing that you could do is you could talk to him of what's going to be the best way for you and I to be able to communicate. When I say enough is enough? You understand and you comply, like what does he feel like he might need from you? And I understand at the end of the day, you're the parent. What you say goes. But to give him that mutual respect of Okay, I see you and what you're trying to do and where you are in your phase of life. How can we work together in order for us to be able to make it a smoother transition for.
Speaker 1: Both of us? All right, wish wish.
Speaker 8: Our name doctor, not a doctor, but my name's Ashley.
Speaker 2: All right, therapist, Ashley. Let me ask you this. I'm not saying is right or wrong? You know, I'm just giving you a like a I was brought up, so when I was brought up, it was I don't give a damn who you talking to. I don't give a damn what you doing. When you see me call you, when you hear my voice or you see my car pull up. I don't stop talking to your little friends and come when I tell you to come. And that worked for me. When you think about that, I think you should do the Drewill anytime my mom or my grandma called my name I was on the way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that, actually that's wonderful therapy, and I think that's probably great. But I also think that there's levels that maybe maybe he needs to get a little bit of uh not. You know, I'm never gonna hit but maybe the exercise maybe the thing, because I don't know if Josiah is an exercise kind of guy, but the dad who says I take him out into the garage and I say, we're going to get some energy out of you. You know what I mean? Like that that might be the thing he needs.
Speaker 2: We're gonna start with the drew Hills. I'm gonna impletimate that.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you, Yeah, or am I just sit on him like you do? I told joe I said, just a second ago, my son Joey said, get off the air with me right now, or I will wrestle your