Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begune.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk. Here we go again. We're Gay running.
Speaker 3: Back to get him on the show called eight six six not eighty seven, two five seven, And be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Here's your host, David Vase.
Speaker 2: We are live at Chase Field until ten thirty tonight, Dodger Talk on the air. After the Dodgers fall to the Diamondbacks tonight by a final score of four to one, we have phone lines open at eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy. The only run the Dodgers scored was by Shoho Tani in the third inning on a groundout by Freddie Freeman, and that was all that was heard from the Dodger offense. But they had their opportunities tonight, especially in the second inning. They really had opportunities in the second and third inning. That was basically the only two innings they were threatening to score runs against Eduardo Rodriguez, and they had gotten Rodriguez's pitch count up to forty after the second inning and couldn't score a run, and they only scored one all night long, and were just two for eight with runners in scoring position the first three innings of the game and never had a runner reached second base the rest of the game after the third inning, and a couple of little things that we saw win the World Series for the Dodgers kind of cost them tonight at third base as far as the secondary leads go. You know, we dissected and we tried to point the finger at Isaiah Kanna Fileffa, the third base coach of the Blue Jays. Obviously, this game here in Arizona is not as do or die as Game seven of the World Series. But in the second inning, when Mookie Batts was at third base and the contact play was on, he was so close to third base, even though you know the Dodgers had Nolan Arenado or the Diamondbacks had Nolan Arenado playing way off the bag, MOOKI had to get a bigger secondary lead. He had to get off third base a little bit more than what he was, especially with the contact play on.
Speaker 1: And if he is.
Speaker 2: That plays a lot closer at the plate than it was. And there is also a chance that he forces an even worse throw from the first baseman that the Diamondbacks had in there, del Mio Vargas, who yeah, kind of out of position. So that was a mistake. Tucker as well. In the same inning. Rick Monday observed it. Jose observed it bad secondary leads off the third base. And when you have two guys like Mookie Betts and Kyle Tucker struggling at the plate the way they are, you better do something else to try to help the team win and not doing good base running things that are you know, five Beta Kappa, It's it's not good. It's just compounding the fact that Mooki's hitting one ninety six and Kyle Tucker is sitting two thirty eight. Muki had one hit tonight, Tucker was hitless again, zero for three with a walk. He's sitting two thirty eight with an ops of seven twenty two.
Speaker 1: Uh, Mookie's playing solid shortstop.
Speaker 2: Kyle Tucker u is still considered an average right fielder, even though the Dodgers have tried to challenge him to be better than that. But offensively, he just seems out of sorts again. But like I said in the second inning, you gotta be a better base runner. You've got to find a way to help your team if you're not helping them with the bat and tonight at third base in the second inning, Mookie Bets and Kyle Tucker did not have good secondary leads. They were not engaged, obviously, and that was a problem. I'm not saying that's winning or losing the game, but certainly the Dodgers could have scored at least one run in that second inning, and they did not. The Diamondbacks, by the way, hit three home runs tonight. I mentioned this during the Clubhouse Show. They only hit eighteen the entire month of May. That was the fewest in baseball, and the Dodgers got hurt by a number nine hitter again. Emmit Sheen had retired fifteen in a row after Corbin Carroll's went out double in the first inning. He had retired fifteen in a row until the sixth inning when Tommy Troy, the number nine hitter, hit his first major league home run to tie the game. That's not something you see too often, and I guess we're seeing it more than we would like to. When the Dodgers were going through that two week stretch of just not being up for the games. They were getting beat by the eight to nine hitters of the opposing teams. And the one thing that Mark Pryor told me that stood out tonight especially is you're see more hitters this year hit home runs on the first pitch of at bats, or even jumping and being aggressive up one to zero in account. That's what we saw from Tommy Troy, That's what we saw from Nolan Arenado later in the game against Emmit Sheen in the seventh inning. And Emma Sheen pitched really well tonight but unfortunately only got one run of support tonight and loses the game despite going six and a third and allowing just two solo home runs. Let's head downstairs right now to hear from Image and on Sports and at LA.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think there's definitely some positives to take. We've been working really hard on the delivery, so I think that showed.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 4: Was execution probably wasn't as good as as it should have been, but I think the stuff being a little better helped me get through that. But yeah, other than the two homers, a couple I want to back after.
Speaker 3: Your last outing, you had said that you had felt that you found kind of either some cues or things you're working through that would lead to the velocity getting back to where you want it to be. What do you think that was that's now led to the results that you had today.
Speaker 4: I think it's honestly, just trying to relax early and you know they're harder later in my delivery. I think, you know, before I was getting all too tense, and yeah, I think that's something the coach has mentioned to me, and it's a bunch of other things too, But yeah, we've been working hard on it. What are you doing right?
Speaker 6: When you were we've set down fifteen out of sixteen?
Speaker 1: Sorry you sit down fifteen out of sixteen at one point? What were you doing right?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I think just and Moth bounced. Will was calling a great game out there. Yeah, defense made some great plays behind me too, obviously, wasn't you know, punching out everybody? But yeah, trying to keep my balance for sure.
Speaker 7: Do you think what the mechanical changes you've made in your delivery now it's been something you've been working towards. Do you think that unlocking the ble feel sustainable?
Speaker 4: I think so definitely. Yeah, No, I feel like we know, you know what to work on now, and we know what works and what doesn't a little better, So it's it's good to know.
Speaker 2: You know, it's hilarious that we're still talking about Ima Shean's fastball velocity because I noticed in spring training that his velocity was not where it was last year, and it was erratic. It would be at ninety five and then it would drop down to nineteen ninety one. And I can remember being in Mesa for a split squad game against the Cubs this spring and I requested to speak to Imi Shean.
Speaker 1: He came out of the trainer's room.
Speaker 2: I asked him what was going on with his fast ball velocity and he gave me a one word answer and was very annoyed with me. And those questions now all of a sudden have been asked ever since then. He's even been asked whether or not he's hurt. And it's kind of a running joke in the clubhouse with me and a few other guys that are next to Shean. They keep telling me to ask Shean about his fastball velocity. But it has been an issue. I mean, it is part of his game. It is what makes his slider really good as well. He needs ninety five at this stage of his career. And even some of his former teammates have text me or said, Hey, what's going on with Sheen in the middle of the game. How the fastball velocity drips or drops? And he's working with one of the Dodger trainers in between innings to try to trigger some cues to be able to keep his mechanics in line. So hopefully, and we've seen that now in two straight starts, so hopefully that continues.
Speaker 1: Eight sixty six.
Speaker 2: Nine eight seven two five seven is the phone number Dodgers fall to the Diamondbacks tonight, four to one. Let's go out to the phones, Dave and Laguna Neguel. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Dave?
Speaker 5: Yes, Dave, thank you, thanks for taking my call. Well, you know, Dave Robbis should have quit while he was ahead and taking Shean out. He gave him six goods and hims. Give the bullpen chance to start with a cleaner in that. In my opinion, Dave, that's one of David Robbins's greatest faults. He leaves the start is in too long, especially the fourth, you know.
Speaker 2: And what's funny is you say he leaves the starters in too long, and he was getting criticized the majority of his managerial career that he was taking them out too soon. Look, I think it was the right move to go batter to batter with Shean in the seventh inning because he was pitching his best game of the year. His pitch count was in the high eighties. Uh, there's no reason to take him out of that game, especially when he's facing string of right handed hitters and you had Alex Vesia warming up at that point.
Speaker 1: So, uh, I had no issues with that.
Speaker 5: You know, I can see if he was leaving by three to one, you know, but he's a home run giving up pitcher. There's a tie game. You already gave up a home run to tide the game up, So why don't you quit while you're ahead? And you know, six innings is great? You know, and and let it let the bullet have a clean.
Speaker 1: Is six innings great? Now? Is that what we've come to? Six innings is great?
Speaker 5: Wasn't wasn't she a fighting pitcher at one time?
Speaker 2: I mean, he can go six to seven innings when he's on his game. But you know what, Dave, I'm a proponent of starters going deeper into games, and when you're pitching as well as Emi Shean was, there was no reason to take him out. But I I like and I'm an advocate going batter to batter in that seventh inning. Unfortunately it was a home run and that was a mistake pitched by Amed Sheen. If Nolan Aeronado gets a single, he's coming out of that game. Going batter to batter is something I like to see. And by the way, the Dodgers starters not only have the lowest el ray in the National League, but they have pitched the most innings in the National League as well.
Speaker 1: Thank you for the phone call. Yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: That's the easy second guess when it's a go ahead home run by Nolan Aeronado. But I have no issues with what Dave Roberts was thinking there in the seventh inning. With the way Shean was pitching, the pitch count was low, the velocity was maintaining high. No issues going batter to batter there. Let's go out to mission Viejo. Bill, You're on Dodger Talk Live from Chase Field. How you doing, Bill, pretty good.
Speaker 6: Thanks for taking my call. Yeah, I totally agree with you about the number eight to nine hitters. It's even Swanson from the Cubs, who's not a bad hitter. He was number ninety. He hit him, but they just got to clear, you know, clean that up a little bit. Hopefully it won't be continue much of the season, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what it is. Bill. Sometimes you exal.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you think you can throw a get me over fastball, even at ninety five, and a lot of guys are gonna be aggressive, oh oh one oh and try to ambush you. And that's what happened with Tommy Troy tonight, ambushing Emmit Sheen, the number nine hitter after he retired fifteen in a row thanks to the phone call.
Speaker 1: Appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number.
Speaker 1: Emmitt Sheen was.
Speaker 2: Not the problem tonight. The problem was the Dodger offense, which only scored one run. When we continue live from Chase Field, we're gonna go back downstairs to hear from Kyle Tucker because he's got some splaining to do. He's only hitting two thirty six after going oh for three, and we'll get into Kyle Tucker. When we continue, you'll hear from Joey Vado and also Freddie Freeman, who went viral this last homestand multiple times for the right reasons. You'll hear from Freddy about those viral moments, including yesterday's kicking dirt at JT Realmudo in an ABS challenge sequence. So a lot more Dodger Talk to get to between now and ten thirty live from Chase Field. Your phone calls at eight sixty six nine, eight seven two, five seventy after the Dodgers fall to the Diamondbacks four to one on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 3: On air at AM five to seventy, online at AM five seventy LA sports dot com, and available my podcast on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: This is Dodger Talk with David Bassan.
Speaker 2: We are live at Chase Field after Game one of a four game series at Chase Field tonight. The Dodgers fault to the Diamondbacks by a final score of four to one. David Bassey Dodger Talk with you until ten thirty tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. The Dodgers, coming off a very successful homestand sweeping the Rockies and taking two out of three from a hotter Phillies team, and then tonight dropped the first game of this four game series to Arizona. So the Dodgers record now is thirty eight and twenty two. The Diamondbacks are in third place in the NL West, five and a half games back of the Dodgers. The Padres did not play tonight. They are five games back of the Dodgers in the NL West. Daniels Jewlers presents the Home Run Forecast. For your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jewelers gift card, visit AM five seventylasports dot com. Use the keyword home run and to your name you could win. Daniels Jewelers own the Dream. Eight sixty six, nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. It's been a struggle all season long for Kyle Tucker. Yes, there's been moment, but for the majority of the year it hasn't been pretty for him at the plate and defensively, teams are very aware that they could take advantage of Kyle Tucker in right field. I'm not saying that the Dodger outfield defense is worse than last year.
Speaker 1: It's actually pretty good.
Speaker 2: A lot of that has to do with the Dodgers great research and development to be able to position the outfielders in the right spots and that helps them not have to cover as much ground. But the reality is the Dodgers need Tucker to hit. He's zero for three tonight with a walk. He did not have a good base running moment in the second inning when he was just not aware of the bigger lead he should have got. He's hitting two thirty eight on the year with an ops of seven twenty two. Hopefully he starts to figure this out. He's getting a grace period here because the Dodgers are in first place, five games ahead of the Padres, and things are starting to go really well for a lot of these other players in the lineup, but Kyle Tucker is still lagging behind. Let's head downstairs right now. Do you hear from Tucker on sports at l A.
Speaker 8: I mean, he's just hitting some spots.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 8: Overall, I thought we had some good at bats and browed up some balls, but they made some nice plays and we just weren't able to get the runs across so just kind of how it goes sometimes for.
Speaker 5: You kind of have where's the swing?
Speaker 4: Felt the last couple of days, like coming off the VP session and yesterday's game, I mean.
Speaker 1: It was fine.
Speaker 8: I mean, first of bet just decent bat like a pitchwalk went from other to to walk, So that's fine. Next Bets on the first pitch hit it well, just on the ground, need to get there in there, and the other ones just they made some good pitches and tough at bats, but she got to hang with him on those.
Speaker 7: What you can do on field before game? What are things that you look for in games when you're trying to search for your swing that show you're turning in the right.
Speaker 8: Direction from those first swinging on good pitches and just trying to help put a good thing on it. I mean, honestly, if you're just doing those things right, you at least give yourself a chance. It's better than just chasing HI stuff all over the place. So I think you just gradually try and find the right back path and timing and everything. So so I goes small.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, one thing that Kyle Tucker hasn't really answered is why why is he swinging at the first pitch more this year than he ever has before in his career. If you even if you go back to last year and basically along his entire career, he's not really swinging more than thirty five percent of the time at the first pitch.
Speaker 1: This year, it's well over fifty percent.
Speaker 2: That's something I'd like to ask him and understand why that's happening. Is it because he's rushing to hit. Is it because he's he's just not himself right now to begin the year. But that's that's one of the things that obviously is a question of why that version of Tucker is with the Dodgers. As far as swinging at the first pitch, like he mentioned, his first at bat, you know, it was a good it was a good at bat, you know, eight pitch walk after being down with two strikes. But after that it seemed to really devolve as far as is at bats go. And I've heard players say this about other teammates sometimes that first at bat means everything to you, and he had a good at bat. I'm just not sure why it didn't go well the rest of the game, But certainly the Dodgers are still waiting for Kyle Tucker.
Speaker 1: To be Kyle Tucker this year.
Speaker 2: Eight six six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number. Got to point out Jorge Borosa, the center fielder for the Diamondbacks. He was amazing tonight in a very big center field.
Speaker 1: This is a big.
Speaker 2: Outfield and he was covering a lot of ground out there. He robbed Will Smith in the fourth inning, he robbed Andy Pahez in the fifth inning. He made a really good catch covering a lot of ground on Mookie Betts leading off the sixth inning. Jorge Barosa had a lot to say about the outcome of tonight's game, and uh, yeah, that was very impressive. I had not seen him play before, but I can understand why he's out there because you need you need a guy that can cover a lot of ground out there in the.
Speaker 1: Chase Field center field.
Speaker 2: Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. I wanted to share it with you what Joey Vado had to say on Dan Patrick's show last week. Because tonight Shoey Otani scored the only Dodger run O'tani has scored three hundred and eighteen runs in three hundred and seventy two games played as a Dodger, not to mention his first year fifty to fifty, not to mention how great he was last year, and now he's chasing the cy young he's one of the top three pitchers in baseball, and all of a sudden, now offensively he's starting to come to life. He's hitting two eighties, got ten home runs, thirty one RBIs.
Speaker 1: He had three hits tonight, and.
Speaker 2: Joey Vado may have put his season into greater context than any of us have done so far. Here's what Vado said to Dan Patrick last week about Otani's season.
Speaker 1: He hasn't even gotten hot.
Speaker 9: I know that he's had a really nice start to the pitching side of things, but offensively, I don't even sense that. And I was reading that he's still not satisfied. But I saw some stuff yesterday in his swings that tell me we really And I don't like using hyperbole. I think I'm going to try to in the course of my media career to be as tame as possible. But I really think we might be in the middle of one of, if not the greatest season in the history of baseball. And I say that because, first of all, most of the all time great seasons have asterisks that slash question marks and the other A few were before integration was even a part of the game, and so the extreme ends of greatness were mitigated because integrated, because integration was a part of the game. And he's playing against the very, very best in the world now, So to me, I think we're on We have a chance to see one of the great seasons of all time.
Speaker 2: That's amazing from a really good player in his day, Joey Vado and a guy that I thought had a future in media when he was playing with the Reds.
Speaker 1: He's on NBC now.
Speaker 2: But it's hard to argue, right, I mean, even if Otani hits quote only if we only say only thirty home runs and he hits two to eighty and drives in one hundred runs, and he can continues on this trajectory of what he's doing as a pitcher five and two with an ERA of zero eighty two and nine starts, he's thrown fifty five innings already, his strikeout to walk ratio sixty one to seventeen. Hitters are only hitting a buck forty seven against him. If he does that, who's to say, it's not the greatest season we have ever seen in baseball history, because certainly we've never seen a player do what a ton he's doing this high of a level on the pitching side and on the hitting side. I mean, like I said, we're so spoiled. Last year he hit fifty five home runs. The year before, he was a fifty to fifty player, first in baseball history. And he wasn't pitching full time in either of those first two years with the Dodgers. Now he's pitching full time at thirty one years old, doing what he's doing, and offensively not even really like Vado said, hot yet. Yeah, he the last two weeks it's more like Otani, but he hasn't gotten red hot like we've seen him in previous years.
Speaker 1: So that's still to come.
Speaker 2: And by the way, Otani is going to hit and pitch on Wednesday when he takes the mound here at Chase Field.
Speaker 1: But think about that, is that.
Speaker 2: Really an overstatement by Joey Vado to say if Otani continues to do what he's doing pitching, and let's say he hits two seventy to two eighty with thirty home runs, ninety to one hundred runs driven in scores one hundred runs even Otani's best year with the Angels as a pitcher, This would he clips that. This one he clips what anybody has ever done in baseball history. So I know, when we're in it every day, it's hard to take that outside look on what's really happening here.
Speaker 1: But it's happening. We're seeing.
Speaker 2: We're in the in the middle of the beginning of what very well may be the greatest season any baseball player has had in the history of this incredible game. Celebrate ninety years of racing at Santa Anita Park every Friday through Sunday with millions and payouts every race day. For heart pounding action, new experiences, visit Santa Anita dot com slash events. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. And you know, in the game of baseball, everybody begrudgingly gives accolades, whether it's players from the other team, whether it's your own teammates, whether it's broadcasters or media. For whatever reason, in baseball, it's really hard to get your roses, get your flowers in this game, even if you are show Heyo Tani, but a guy like Joey Vado. He had no problems ever doing that, and I feel like him saying that really caught the attention of a lot of us.
Speaker 1: And he's right.
Speaker 2: I like I said, in baseball, it's so different than the NFL or the NBA. They will overstate one single game by one guy and say, oh, that's that's as great as Kobe Bryant or Michael Jordan. In baseball, what do you have to do to get some accolades and really get some acknowledgment of how great you are within the game. And I'm just surprised nobody has brought this up. And even I'm at fault. You know, I'm here every day with Otani, and sometimes when you're in it every day, you don't realize it. But yeah, I'm a little embarrassed and shamed that I haven't brought it up that this may be the greatest season we have ever seen by a Major League Baseball player. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Freddie Freeman has no problems giving other players their accolades or their shine. He is America's host at first base. I've never seen a first baseman greet the opponent as much as Freddie Freeman does with such a great spirit, with such a great smile. And I had a chance to catch up with Freddy after he did his infield work today to ask him about his two viral moments in a good way during this last Homestand when Kyle Carros got his first hit of the first game of the series at Dodger Stadium with his dad Eric in the booth, Freddie Freeman was trying to get him to look to his dad in the booth.
Speaker 1: And then yesterday GT.
Speaker 2: Real Mudo challenged a pitch abs pitch and Freddy knew it was going to be a strike, and he kicked some dirt at JT.
Speaker 1: Real Mudo.
Speaker 2: Remember they were in the same division for a long time, with real Mudo with the Marlins, Freddie with the Braves, real Mudo staying in the NL East with the Phillies. Here's what Freddy had to say about all of those things earlier today.
Speaker 10: I don't know, I don't know. I love playing the game in baseball. I know we're in a tense battle of competing each but during the game I like to find fun things. It's we're all having fun playing this game. We love it. But yeah, I knew Eric was doing the games, and I could see when Kyle got the hit. I could see him kind of like moving around in the in the booth, and I was like, oh, that's an excited dad. And I was like, hey, look your dad, your dad, your dad. And then obviously yesterday, uh yeah, I just got told that it was going all over the place. But yeah, so JT obviously in my first at bat, got eat the strikeout on the challenge call, and then next at bat, first pitch, he challenges again and gets it right. And then so that's where I've obviously know JT for a long time, and you know, I just love JT. So yeah, once he got it, I knew he was gonna get.
Speaker 1: It right too.
Speaker 10: So that's why I just kicked some dirt on him and he just started laughing.
Speaker 1: I said stop.
Speaker 10: He wanted to challenge the next one too, but thankfully I was like there, he.
Speaker 8: Was like, I don't know.
Speaker 10: I looked at it and I said, if that's the strike, I'm done here. You know, like, and you know, it's just fun. The game's fun. Baseball's fun. It's supposed to be fun, and you know, I try and enjoy it as much as I came on and play.
Speaker 2: And we certainly enjoy watching Freddie having as much joy as he does playing the game. And that was the inside story to yesterday's viral moment between Freddie Freeman and JT. Realmudo and also early in the homestand with Kyle Carro.
Speaker 1: So that was that was fun. That was uh, that is Freddie and that.
Speaker 2: You know, he is so talented, obviously, and he wants so much out of himself and so much out of his career, but he never loses the perspective that this is a kid's game and he has a lot of little kids still left in him. So that's what those moments bring out, all right. Tomorrow, Eric Lauer will be on the mound for the Dodgers for the second time. In his first start against the Rockies in a Dodger uniform, he went six innings, allowed just one earn run. He's going up against one of Freddy's X teammates, Michael Soroka. The former Brave is seven and two with an ERA of three twenty five. Our coverage begins tomorrow at five point thirty with first pitch from Chase Field with Rick Monday and Tim Neverett at six forty want to say great to see our guy Sam from Downy Hunday at Dodgers Stadium yesterday. Go down and see Sam at Downy Hunday. It's not just a car dealership, it's an experience. It's like a nightclub in there. They make you feel so at home. It's a family type of environment. So if you're looking for a new car, or you just want to hang out at an air conditioned spot and have a good time, Downy Hunday is where you should do it.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Thanks to Colin E for all his help back at our burd Bank Studios. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Chase Field, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show or our pregame conversation with Ryan Ward on the heels of his first major league home run. You know where to find it the iHeart Radio app. Make sure you make Dodger Talk a free set. Make sure you subscribe and download so you don't miss any of the interviews or any of the shows. Once again, the final score tonight from Chase Field in Arizona. The Diamondbacks defeat the Dodgers four to one.
Speaker 1: We'll talk to you tomorrow. Fox Sports Radio is next. See them