Speaker 1: Don't want to be an American.
Speaker 2: It's flowing you back on seven hundred WW. Blocks do in the city all, If anything, it's not boring. We have the police chief controversy. We have a contentious hearing yesterday on food trucks as somehow having a role in the violence downtown. You know, if you just have feeding people, then the violence goes away. Maybe there's something there with Snap. I don't know. She's councilmember Anna Olby on the show on seven hundred WW, and she's in a very tight council racers. Three thousand people running for the handful of seats left and it's going to be musical chairs in just a few days. For sure, Anna, welcome back. How are you?
Speaker 3: I thinks I appreciate it? And three thousand might be a little bit.
Speaker 2: Feels like I'm bad at math I'm bad at the maths, but it feels like three We'll just go three thousand. Let's start with this, the Snap hearing. The commissioners did this yesterday. You were there, I saw you on camera. Wave to you. But any way back, that's fine. What is the city role to help with the really? What can the city do if indeed on Saturday, snap benefits go away for one in eight people in Hamlin County, which is also Cincinnati.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks for this. Let me just start by laying out the state of where we are. I don't know how many your listeners actually watched that, but the county shared yesterday some of the numbers. So across the county, we have over fifty three thousand adults and over forty three thousand children who are benefiting from SNAPS every month. So when we think about this Saturday, those benefits are not going to be available. And across the county that represents over nineteen million dollars of food assistant benefits, and I know for the city of Cincinnati that's over twenty nine thousand households. So this is a real crisis moment where families, according to the head of Freestore Food Bank, they get nine out of ten meals with their SNAP benefits and Freestore other local pantries only be one out of ten meal, right, so we're about to lose funding for nine one to ten meals for these these thousands incredible people. Yeah, it's a true crisis.
Speaker 2: I had Kurt Rye around from free Store on Monday show and he's he's concerned. I mean, he couldn't really say, oh my god, you know, we don't what we're gonna do, so like, hey, listen, you know we have some reserves. We're going to lean on the local communities and trying to get more out of our vendors. And also we may have to start instead of once a month, we have to do twice a month. So the demand's going to increase even more, putting in a ready strain. But and think about it heading into the holiday season here, with Thanksgiving and then Christmas coming up, the really busy time in the winter, when people are colder. Uh, people are cold and hungry. It's going to put a strain already on an overstrained system.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: I'm really really worried about what this means when families, you know, are looking at their budget and now they have to decide do we buy a meal or do we pay rent? Do we pay our utility bill? Right, this is going to make impossible, you know, impossible decisions, don't I don't know either.
Speaker 2: I wish I wish Washington would just go, look, okay, we made our point, let's let's end this thing and work towards compromise. But it's not about people. It's about politics. And that's what Washington, that's what politics has become. It's about protecting our party and our brand, whatever that is.
Speaker 3: I one hundred percent agreed. Right, Ultimately, this is a federal government problem and we need the federal government to solve it. And so yesterday you heard it from the county commissioners, and I agree, we should have our lallmakers in Washington at the table talking about how do we come up with some type of emergencies to beat for snaps. You know, they were able to dig up three hundred million dollars from care funds to help keep with going for a few more week weeks. Why can't they do something for snaps? And instead we've got a president who's on an international tour right now, isn't even in the country, and we're going to have millions of people going hungry starting Saturday.
Speaker 2: Oh you need Congress to do that, right. I mean the point of you know, this is a debate outside our scope here in the city because you can't control subsidies and how things are handed out, and that's really part of the problem here. And I understand the stand that they're making with Republican Democrats. But you know, now it's time to put the swords down and try to come to some common ground and solve this issue, because the problem is healthcare is way out of control. Whether you talk to a Republican or Democrat, we all agree on that you just can't continue subsidizing. And Republicans don't really have a plan to fix healthcare. So there's our problems. And I'll be let's pivot a little bit here to the food truck hearing now when this happened. To bring those listening up to speed. If you're listening, okay, we'll refresh my memory on this one. I got lots go to my mind, Sloan, I got you so August fifteenth, it was even earlier than that was. I think maybe September or later in that September. Anyway, there's a hearing about food trucks and basically, hey, you know where we had the hookah bars and hookah lounges or some food trucks around and the street violence and the food trucks are open late and these tend to get people congregating around it to eat, and then violence breaks out and so sure, along in her wisdom said, you know what, We're just going to omn issue an edict that says, now we've got to shut the food trucks down at eleven PM, which I took a great issue with. It's like, well, they're there to feed people, you're there to police and keep the streets safe. So if I want to I don't know a hot I want to cheese cony or slice of pizza or a taco, where the hell it is at two o'clock in the morning, when the bars closed, I should be able to get that from a street vendor who's there legally. I'm there legally. Why are we shutting down and punishing good people?
Speaker 4: I agree?
Speaker 3: To be clear, I agree, and I think you know, I know you watched Yester's committee meetings. So just to clarify again, the decision to change the closed time closing time to eleven PM was purely from this city administration. Council was not asked or prepped about this ahead of time. So when it was announced, you know, I immediately caught up and was asking lots of questions, and I asked them again yesterday, what is the data showing that food trucks are specifically causing these issues. And honestly, yesterday I heard a lot of talk about people being maybe overserved, right, they're too drunk and that's causing issues, and that's the separate issues. But food trucks are small businesses. And to your point, I think if someone is coming out of the bar at two in the morning, they should be able to get their taco before they had or their hamburger whatever like that. And we want the city to be a fun place to hang out, right, we want the city to have a lively nightlife and food trucks and people being out and being able to get a bite to eat as part of that vibrancy.
Speaker 2: For me, yeah, do you think Mordecai Black would have not murdered Patrick Herringer if he was able to get a cheese coney instead. That's just the dumbest logic I've ever heard.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm not going to get into that part, but I mean, in terms of how we're going to handle this food truck regulations, I think there's two parts of this, right. There's one part of what is the data showing that food trucks are the issue here? La other part is what is the impact economically on these small businesses, right, And I was really disappointed to hear that the city administration had yet to even talk with the food truck administrations or any of the food trucks or even the business owners the bars, right. And Vice Mayor Kearney brought up yesterday that she talked to some of the bars and they were like, yeah, we love having these food trucks here. We don't have a kitchen or the kitchen isn't open, you know, and closing right so letting patrons come out and grab a bite to eat is something that you know, the bars themselves appreciate, and you have to think about I have to assume these food trucks have most of their get most of their revenue at those late night hours to right, So closing at eleven PM just seems crazy to me. And then not to be able to come yesterday prepared with the data to show us that there's a direct cause and effects between food truck hours and some of these incidents that they're reporting, I just I was very frustrated about and hopefully in two weeks when we come back to this, that the administration will be better prepared to make the case she made.
Speaker 2: This isn't sure along correct, This is all on her.
Speaker 3: This is a city administration working. I mean, I know synthetic police was also part of part of the decision making, or at least based on kind of the whe the officers were making.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how does a curfew impact then?
Speaker 3: Great question because I do see this as kind of thing you mentioned hookah bars, right, So if we're implementing a curfew, we're saying, you know, closing down hookah bars, which I agree with. By the way, we were seeing real issues with hookah bar specifically, and hookah bars sell into a weird loophole at the state level when it came to regulation, so it's good that we took care of that. So if we have curfew hookah bars, now we're closing food trucks right back to that vibrant feed downtown, right, we don't want downtown to be a ghost town every Sriday and Saturday night. So I do think there is a real question to be had of like what do we imagine a fun downtown space to look like? How do we help support those businesses? Right, We've got too many restaurants going out of business, so how can we help them. How can we help the bar stand business? And if we just start shutting everything down, it's going to make it really hard on our business owner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, and I appreciate the work the hustle here. It's like, hey, listen, you know, it's really expensive to keep a brick and mortar going. We see restaurants closing opening all the time. If I just took my wares and put it in a food truck, now I could sell maybe a few things from my menu or you know some long those are maybe I just specialized in doing some really good food. I can get the wheels, I get the kitchen, I get the health permit, fire inspection. You get all that done, and then I turn around, and now the city goes, well, now you got to close at eleven, Well, you know, I would imagine from eleven to two or three am, that's you're probably making a lot of money as the bars closed, as the club's let out, or there's an event downtown, a ball game, a concert, whatever it might be. That's where you're making your bank. And we're shutting that down. Why because we can't control violence. It's a separate issue.
Speaker 3: I think these are separate issues. Exactly, And that's why I was really pushing on the city administration, our captain and our Assistan city manager yesterday. I'm like, show me the data, show me the relationships here. You know, I can appreciate that big crowds at drunk people can be unruly. But again, if the problem is that people are being over served in the bar so they're blackout, drunks, you know, causing issues, well let's go deal with that problem, right, That is a separate issue than to a small business trying to feed some people late night through food truck.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But here's the thing. Well, you know we're over served, people are drinks, theyre having drinks. Okay, fine, Then why do we have street festivals? Why why do we have Taste of Cincinnati, Why do we have Octoberfest? Why do we all these things downtown that serve alcohol where people are getting served and then turn around it's again the argument doesn't stand is because the city endorses all this stuff. The city endorses those events. I don't see how this is any different other than that's a you know, probably a Thursday, Friday, Saturday night thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know, there was some discussion to as the administration talks to this around like the idea of the food trucks on a normal day, right, separate from festivals, TV in any place they're popping up their logic park wherever. Okay, great, you know I asked questions around. Okay, have we thought about designating specific spots? Have we thought about how that could work with termiting?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 3: Almost every city in the nation probably has had food trucks, right, This is not a unique cocatty thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. All over the world. You know, you travel abroader like they've got food trucks at three or four in the morning and there are people out there taking a machine gun out and spraying people.
Speaker 3: It's not happening exactly, And especially as I know Cincinnati is. We can look to other cities and say, oh, what are the regulations that they're using with food trucks to be able to make sure that things aren't getting out of control. So that again with some of the pushback I was adding to administration yesterday, which was, hey, there are other solutions and options here. If there are you know, XYZ issues, Why didn't we do any research into how other CITs that's restless? And the other thing I was really shocked by yesterday is in the presentation. So this I think the food truck rule was changed in twenty twenty three. They said they had no issues in twenty twenty three, no issues, in twenty twenty four, got through half of twenty twenty five, or at least the first part twenty twenty five no issues, and then it was just this summer where they saw some issues. I tried to asking, Okay, what caused that? You know, what type of problem solving did we do? And I just think ultimately we took an administration took a big swing here without really doing some of the leg work to look at what actually happened here. What are the problems we need to solve versus punishing businesses that aren't doing anything wrong.
Speaker 2: Well, you're being very polite, council Member Albe, and that's saying, well, they took a big swing here. No, it's incompetence, is what it is. I mean, you're looking for all these straw men to blame the violence problems on, saying well, it's this, it's that's all these little it's not it's it's a lack of leadership within the administration on that point, whether it's this with the food trucks, or the way the Harringer homicide was handled, or the street violence, the beatdown where the you know, the person is charged later and it was completely racially motivated. This whole thing is to me an indictment on the same administration. Do you think it's time for new leadership specifically? Now we'll see what the mayoral race. I think Aftab is going to win re election, but is sure along the right person for this job.
Speaker 3: Here's what I can say. I know the administration over the summer is being really responsive to issues that we saw, and there were issues, let's be clear, you know.
Speaker 6: And I can respect them.
Speaker 3: I know they're even with this. I'm going to go back to this food trucks and such. What we've been digging in on, you know, this food truck policy is my understanding, was really in response to some of what they were hearing from our officers. The officers saying there are the hot these hot spots. You know, we think that food trucks are creating the hot spots because people are gathering here. And I want to respect the fact that that's our officers coming back and giving that feedback. But to me, there just needs to be a little bit more like work on Okay, what are the specific incidents? How many are there? Is it one specific truck that's causing the issue? Is it one specific block, right, and trying to do a little bit more problem solving that specific to either that truck or that's that specific spot versus again this wide uh you know eleven pm cut off that that impacts all these trucks that aren't doing a thing wrong. So again I want to be responsive to to problem solving and understanding what our officers are seeing on our streets and doing all that. But we got to look at the data and we've kind of look at you know, what are the specific exues that it solve for this problem versus punishing small businesses that are doing the right thing.
Speaker 2: And this all these of course of the termination of Chief Teresa Thijia. I mean, when you have a when you have an administration that and let's go back to when thiji was hired three years ago. I was looking at her comments following her being sworn in and said, no, this is we're gonna we got to look at diversity, equity and inclusion. We've got to continue the path we're on right now with the community and make sure we're engaging with people on the street. And okay, I get that at the time. Now you've got the food truck thing, You've got the curfews that looked like they didn't work because the people are you know, they're still young people out there doing what they do. You're empowering activists like iris Ralli where she's interfering with police work. So we've had a track record now and a bad policy decision saying, you know, we're gonna treat criminals like victims and we're gonna give them a slap on the wrist when they get to court, and we're gonna let them out with a two dollars bond, or we're gonna give them an o R and they're gonna go out and get a gun and shoot someone or cut their ankle, monor off. We're not gonna take this seriously. The mayor refuses to lean on judges. You have these policies coming down from people like shil Long and then you turn around and fire Thiji. To me, that's like the food truck thing all over again. You're blaming the wrong person. It's the policies and how you handle things in the series and of how you take crime and how you hold people accountable as opposed to all this other stuff out there in the ether. And I think and all, but it's gonna it hurts people like you because I mean, let's face it, I mentioned three thousand people running for council seats. You're one of the people could be displaced by this. The voters are not gonna blame AFTAP, They're gonna blame someone like you.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm definitely out there talking to our voters, and I'll be honest. You know, I was in a community council meeting and Price Hill and to kind of that was a lot you just threw out it. One of the things that the person, uh you know, stood up and they have some questions, but they still up and they said, you know, Cincinnati has the best police force in the nation. And I agree, right, But I think a key part of that is the fact that we have the collaborative agreement that we as a city did the work in the early two thousands to make sure our police force is the best in the nations. We do work with community and across Right, this is the collaboration stick key word there, right, No one person alone can fix anything, right, These are these are big things, and so having that collaboration across lallmakers, police force, and the community is a really important part to how we function as a city and how we keep everyone safe. So, you know, those are values that I uphold, and I.
Speaker 2: Also I think Anna my point is those things can exist, they can coexist, and that's fine. You know, we shouldn't be beating down on people who are What I'm saying is is like we we look at criminals now and treat them as victims as well, and that's part of the problems. There's people that look at the way policing has changed and the collaborative agreement and the IRIS Raleigh Paul, these policies, hands off policies, and there's people to go, ow, I respect that. You know, the police are great, They're keeping my neighborhood safe. And what winds up happening is there's the small percentage of criminals of sociopaths out there that are exploiting that and we refuse to treat them like the criminal, repetitive criminal element that they are. We're looking at reasons to why we need to release them rather than reasons we lock them up, and you know where that hurts the same people. These policies are that are protect.
Speaker 3: You know what I think about what a safe community looks like. I always say a safe community is one where people are being paid enough to bard a roof of their head, fresh food and table, access to healthcare, and where kids have safe spaces right, and we can get all of that right, I think we've done a pretty good job. So when I as a lawmaker look at what can we do to strengthen our community, it's it's a guest and pollution where we're doing all of those right. How do we help people get good paying jobs. How do we build more housing so there's more housing options out there, How do we help people get access to healthcare? And you know, we just talked about SNAP and food. I am very very worried about what SNAP not being issued on this Saturday. What that is going to do to our residents. Like we talked about, people are going to be desperate.
Speaker 1: What does that mean?
Speaker 3: So whatever we can do to help stabilize families right and meet people's basic needs, to me, that's ultimately what's going to make for a safer community.
Speaker 2: A council member I'll be I wish you all the best between now an election day, I really do, and we'll pick up the pieces, as we say, probably sometime after the election. But I always appreciate the time and your thoughtfulness. Thanks for jumping on this, Morne.
Speaker 3: Thanks much, take care, good luck.
Speaker 2: All the best. Scott's Loan Show with news in just minutes on seven hundred W ALW Scott Slum Show here on seven hundred WW. Welcome to got lots going on in this wet Wednesday morning, but weeks half over. It's all good. Thanks again to council member, and I'll be on the show a few minutes ago.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 2: I know she's a she's seeking office and she's a Democrat, but seeing some common ground here, I mean, first and foremost, I don't care a Democrat Republican. The government shutdown right now is nonsense. And you know the idea as well, if we could just get the Democrats to admit they're wrong. When the Democrats are going, if we could just get the Republicans to admit they're wrong, what we need to do is force them to that they're both wrong. Is that you sit down. He made your point, Now figure it out. Fix it, and I get it. We know we're just subsidizing stuff, and the Democrat existence is to subsidize it. We got subsidize, We've got a subsett we need more subsidy, which means what it means you're still spending well even more money on things in order to make it affordable for people. So basically, like the Democrats are about giving out coupons, it's a coupon, it's a voucher. Got a coupon, Well, it's a coupon. Well, I know, food or healthcare, it's this much, but here's a coupon for eighty percent off fifty percent. Great, but who's paying for that? Well, we all are, So we're just borrowing more money we don't have. We have a thirty eight trillion dollar deficit, and there's complicity there. The other side of it is and I've yet to hear an argument from Republicans as to how you fix healthcare. Because we're in benefit season right now. It's time to make those tough decisions. See how much more you're going to cause it's going to come out of your check for how less coverage you're going to wind up don And it's not because you know your evil corporate overlords want it that way. It's the way the system it's jacked up. You know, if we don't like Adaca, if we don't like affordable care, if a logal of subsidy, you have the power controlling both sides, both the House and the Senate and the Presidency, to be able to maybe implement something to fix it. So give me a plan. Say what you all about subsidies, which I hate, but it does something for people. If it's broken, it doesn't work, and subsidies are terrible, then then come up with a way to fix the healthcare system. And yet what do we do we have My side is right, your side is wrong. We have a government that is not functioning. We have a Congress that can't pass a budget. They have one job. And in my lifetime now there have been two times where we've balanced the budget. We haven't be able to do that the other three thousand years I've been alive. Not good, not good. To blame. Well, Trump's out in the dead in another country, and it's not on Trump, it's on Congress. Now can he say something that maybe encourage Yeah, I guess, but again that you're not understanding the most basic sense of government is it is the United States Congress, and when they don't do stuff, then what happens is we give all the power to the president, either Biden or in this case Trump, and he uses his pen and executive power to write an executive order when Congress should be doing this stuff. Okay, I get it. You made your point. Time to probably pass another continuing resolution, kick the can down the road for another and shut it down in seven weeks we'll have this conversation again. It's exhausting, is what it is. Relative to Anna Alby, And I think it's interesting now we have more evidence here of the incompetence of share Along in particular. And I would say aftered, pure vol put them in the same boat. And if I'm a if are in council right now, like I don't, I'll be I would not be as genteel as she was, uh and worried about party politics and kissing the ring and everything else, because after have puervoal is going to cost somebody their seat. Now he's going to wind up getting re elected. Could I be wrong? Absolutely been wrong before. But if you look at the fundraising, if you look at the power of the incumbency and everything else, and it's not an insult of all the Corey Bowman. Then Corey's a great guy. He's got some decent ideas. But being a pastor who is related to JD. Vance in deep, deep blue Cincinnati is not good. There's baggage already. People are going to pay attention, people are just going to tune them out instantly, and so by default have to have wins. Could I be wrong? Could we have the huge upset? Sure one hundred percent. Is it possible, But it's unlikely. I think what's more likely are how voters respond relative to the city council. It feels like, you know, I can't change that with Aftab, but I sure as hell can change the makeup of counsel, and probably for the better. So I don't understand if you are one of these folks, and maybe it's for office later on down the line or another appointment or something like that. If you kiss the ring, you get that. Maybe that's part of politics, I guess is if you are the good soldier, you'll get rewarded somewhere along the line, but in the short term you're out of a job. I just think voters are pissed off enough to start holding people accountable. If it can't be aftabed, maybe it's someone else on counsel. That's unfortunate, because I think we've got some good and a few people that maybe not so good on council will probably have to go anyway. But nonetheless, we have this new story out yesterday and the Inquirer regarding what transpired right before share Long fired chief Thiji. No, she's not fired, she's just done paid administrative leave. Okay. Well, you named an interim superintendent in Adam Hayey. Okay, So if you name someone in interim head coach, that means you're waiting for the next head coach to come along. If you're acting head coach, you're waiting for the person who's the coach to come back or get better or whatever it is the reason they took leave in the first place. So right away, you're telling me that she's fired, even when I'm saying she's fired. So this email comes out on August fifteenth, I'm sure along to Thiji, and it mandated that all communications, external meetings announcements have to be clear through the city Manager's office because she needs to save face. Because it's a bad look. You caught me off guard when you said you want to be on a task force to the Hamlin County Police Chiefs Association and Tim Holloway to address the revolving justice system, because the problem here, one of the problems is the justice system. We know how drunk and broke it is, where we have judges that are taking people with very serious charges against them and giving them bed for the doubt that they they're going to show back up to court, that they're going to go talk to their probation officer and get a job and all these things, and then they turn around and pick up a gun that's probably the almost the same gun that they got in trouble with in the first place, and go on commit even worse crimes. And we have a steady drum beat of that for a long time, but especially this summurb. That is a reasonable thing for a chief to do to go, hey, listen, my men and women that didn't movee line. The officers of the City of Cincinnati, Hamlin County Sheriff's Department, we got a problem here because we're catching people, we're apprehending them, we're giving you the charges prosecuted does what they do, and the judge simply says, well, these are just these are criminals, but they're victims too, when we have to treat them like they're victims, which is the mentality I think from progressives largely, whether it's in the bench or whether it's the city manager and the mayor of the city of Cincinnati, and so again, more worried about optics, more worried about being caught off guard, and more worried about how things look on the perception is rather than your safety. You know, we're more worried about how we look to the wrestler. Well, when that video splashed with they beat down in July, Hell, did we look to the rest of the world. I was halfway around the rest of the world in Australia and that was on the news. I turned on the TV. Michelle's getting ready, We're going to go to dinner, last few days of our trip, our bucket list trip, and I'm watching this violence. I'm looking at it going on. It looks horrible. I wonder if that's Chicago or is it La Is it Nope? Is a point It's got to be Portland that looks like Nope, Cincinnati Ohio. Holy crap, Holy crap. Here we go. So the optics are, you're not doing your job, and that's the problem. When you're all worried about how things look, you're not focused on the important stuff. So she goes at THEIJI and says, there's some challenges messaging. It can cause in confusion, and we got to be united on safety and messaging. And now we just hired Frost Brown Todd at what forty fifty thousand dollars to come up with the reasons why we fired Chief Thiji after we fired her is to justify that behavior. And it may take months. It's going to take well after the election, that's for sure. Maybe by the first of the year we'll have an answer on this thing. About the same time we'll have and answer as to what the hell happened in July twenty sixth with the street beatdown. No word about that either, by the way normally stuff comes out, there's no we're not hearing a word about that because there's an election to be one, damn it. Nonetheless, it doesn't this undermine the money that you're spending already with this law firm. One may ask, because what you're trying to do is come up to the reason why you fire Chief Thigi. And Chief Thigi says, well, listen, there's nothing in my jacket. I've been here thirty five, thirty six years. There's significant You have no cause to fire me, no need cause with a contract, but there's no cause there. Give me a reason why my incompetence. I did something wrong. I was stealing money, I was paying officers, I was doing something illegal. If not, I'm doing something that is against my code of conduct. Here, I'm not doing There's more I could be doing relative to policing. What is that woman not doing? Is a question? And the new of the interim chief how much different is he than Thigi? And the idea here is well, we've got to separate Chief Thiji's behavior from our policies. We've got to look for the behavior of Chief Dji to justify firing her, and that's what we're looking for here. Well, this doesn't help that case, does it, Because now if this memo comes out, if this leaks out, and City ser Long is saying, well, listen, we got to rein you in. You're going off the reservation. Now, we've got to control all your communications and meetings and announcement. It's got to be cleared through my office. Not not like, hey, let me know it's gone to but cleared. I have to approve who you're meeting with, who you're talking to, what you're thinking, and what you're about to say. Doesn't that look to you like the chief or any chief or any administrative leader in our city doesn't have autonomy that the mayor and the city manager under the mayor are dictating policy. Doesn't that undermine that money that you, the taxpayers, are spending on this law firm to find out reasons why we're looking for something anything to blame Terry Thigi for to justify her dismissal. And then you come out in this and I think this selves, Terry, and I think there's a reason why this this was leaked out. But nonetheless, Long said, any outreach or contact with elected officials must go through the city director's Government Affairs office. So she can't talk, she can't think, she can't do it. She has no autonomy to kind of, you know, press some levers and make some noise in order to police the way she sees fit. That totally underminds that argument, I think so she's on administrative leave. And then the other thing that comes out of this email, which I think is really funny and Willie, you'll probably be talking more of this is the timeline with this is we get the Fountain Square shooting downtown on October thirteenth, and there's growing public concerns, as you know, to everything from Patrick Harringer to the viral fight and everything else. So two days later, after the Fountain Square thing, she leaves for Denver, or maybe the night before she left for Denver, Terry Thiji for this conference. So two days past at nine twenty six am, Fiji emails sheer along and the HR director some payroll issue. She mentions in the communication it's her thirty sixth anniversary with the city and said, I can't stay forever here forever, so I just want to plan. No one knows what that means, and so Long and the HR director say, well, we'll meet about this particular staffing issue. Payroll describe maybe it's her payroll, I don't know whatever that's in the morning. By the afternoon, sure, Long texts Terry Thiji, who's at this police conference in Denver, saying call me, call me at one seventeen, call me. Terry's in a car on a way the conference's got another chiefs in the vehicle and says, well, can I wait till I get back to the hotel And didn't get a response other than maybe no. But at that point she also, I'm guessing she realized what's going on. She got a statement from the Reds praising her for her work and trying to fight crime downtown and sends that to share Alan And about this time here on seven hundred WW it's the afternoon. Willie is on at about one o'clock in the afternoon, and how fast World travels was evidence in this too. Is about the time that shieron Long is about to call Terry Thigi back and write request she'd come back from Denver. The word has already gotten out that Terry Thigi is coming back to be fired. Remember that happened? Is like they've called the chief back. She needs to get back as an urgent concern. Fiji then mentions back to shar Long because she's in Denver. She said, well, I much have mentioned like, I don't know, are you hearing anything out there? And she said I hadn't gotten any calls. Maybe WLW being typical dramatic is what Terry Thigi said. And I'm guessing that as a reaction to us here on this radio station, particularly Bill Cunningham talking about what's happening with Terry Thigi. Like the words already spreading because Terry knew, and if Terry knew, other people who know, because she's probably gonna maybe talk to some people about and say, they're calling me back from Denver, what the hell's going on in the city. I think that's a reasonable thing, like what happened now, it's been two days since the Fountain Square shooting. We have something else going on. I got to come back, what's happening? And someone said, no, there's nothing going on there, summoning you back, which then would indicate you're about to get fired. You don't call someone back in for no reason whatsoever. Going well, we've got some man, we've got some leadership things we got to talk about. But I'm at a conference. I can't wait. No, you need to come back right now. So of course word travels fast, and the word gets out that and you know, Willie was right, we're not being dramatic. You got fired, And then there's some other tacks, saying, in light of the recent high profile incident and heightened public attention surrounding it, we need you back in town in the earliest flight you can catch, please call me, which sounds very pre in light of the recent higher profile incident, heightened public attention surrounding and we need you back in town because she had readymade that decision to let her go. I mean heightened public attention. We're kind of at peak on Monday. Okay, that happened on the weekend, and two days by two days okay, we settled. Nan. It's like, okay, there's heightened public attention to the fountains cair shooting, for sure, But why would you call her back from Denver. There's nothing you can do about what happened forty eight I was earlier. There's nothing unless you had some information about some sort of I don't know, planned attack or planned criminal activity. There's no reason for her to do that. And that was like the end of the conversation. And then she came back. And then by the twentieth on the twenties, so that was five days after that is when the city and tear and UH and share along place Stigi on administratively paid administry pending internal investigation of the effectiveness of her leadership. And of course she's lawyered up. She's a political scapegoat. I believe that to be true. I agree with Steve im on this. But the whole thing is the fact that this indicates to me that most certainly share along and most certainly have to have puival dictate the policy. You're now hired a law firm to prove the exact opposite. Terry. Theg is like, look, you're the piper. You call the tune. If you're worried about DEEI, if you're at about treating our criminals like victims, that's the game you want to play with your administration. That's how you were on the city. I take my orders from you, Okay, I'll fall in line and make sure the troops fall in line. And to that degree, I think that's why she had a rift with maybe some of the beat cops, and she was not really loved all that much by the beat cops. It was kind of a love hate situation, I guess from what I understand. And you know, if you're a boss, you're not going to keep everybody happy, especially if you're the chief of police and you have a police union, and I get that, but I also think that if you're going to take that job, they're going to tell you what to do and how to do it, and you're just going to kind of follow it. And you know what, you're blaming Terry Thiji for your bad policies. You made bad policy decisions. It sounds like you took some I don't know, some study from Harvard or some sort of nutty professor that told you the way to keep the peace is to simply appease the criminals rather than lock them up and be strong about it. You know, we're going to empty the jails, we're gonna have no bond, we're gonna have aar And now a percentage of the population takes advantage of that because that's what they do, not all of it, but a small percentage of the criminal and this is what you wind up getting. And so that's not the fault Terry Fiji. That is the fault of failed leadership above Terry Thigi, and she's paying the price. Very interesting though, it sounds to me like the Mayor's office and sherlong dictate how Terry Thigi should perform her job. I mean controlling the what she's saying or thinking sounds to me like they're underminding the whole investigation. They desired a big law for them to do, and it just gets crazier every day, really does. We'll get a time out and we've got news in just about four minutes here on seven hundred ww when we return County Commissioner at Lisha Reese on the show, can the county help plug the looming snap gap that's about to hit on Saturday? We'll get into that and much more just ahead when the Scott's Loan Show continues after this on seven hundred ww.
Speaker 4: Do you want to be an American idiot?
Speaker 2: Scott blown back on seven hundred WWS. So, we have a coalition about half of the United States, the United States and District of Columbia are suing the Trump administration over the suspension of food staff benefits. With the government shutdown happening right now, so here in Ohio we can't control DC. But now we're going, all right, what about snap? What about tamp what about Wick? What about that money if we don't get federal funds? Is looking that way as we get closer to Saturday Locally, Governor Dewin said he's studying options involving state money. I had a council member all be on earlier this morning and she said the city's looking at this too. And the county held they hearing yesterday where Alicia Reese was a holding court as she usually does. Commissioner Reese welcome, how are you.
Speaker 6: Oh, I've had better days. I'll tell you that, better days.
Speaker 2: I bet this is tough, unbelievable. Yeah, we got so to bring people up to speed on this. To bring up to speed, one point four million Ohioans reliance SNAP benefits and about forty three thousand kids, so roughly one in eight folks who live in Hamlin County are getting some form of SNAP benefits. Every month in Hamlin County, SNAP pays out nineteen million dollars, I said, nineteen million a month. With your budget and even the city's budget. I don't know how you overcome that, Alicia.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean it is you look at it. We can overcome it. I mean we're talking in almost two hundred and forty million a year, and we're looking at ninety seven thousand of those people like you said right here in Hamilton County, and you know they yesterday the Director of Jobs and Family Services. One of the things he talked about is these are people who are working. Majority of these people who actually work every day, some of them working two and three jobs. You're looking at children who in it's to children. Then you're looking at senior citizens.
Speaker 1: Who pay their dues.
Speaker 6: There. You know, that's a big chunk of people. I mean, you're very pro veteran serve Yeah, veterans who serve this country. I mean, this is this is unbelievable. And to deny them something as basic as being able to have food on the table is unbelieve And then one of the things the food free Store Food Bank, which you know the in world hunger. That's one of my since been dear, dear in my heart and I've always worked with them for you know, most of my life helping. One of the things that was said that we can't food pantry ourselves out into it. You know, even with the money that we have that we had from Snap. We had SNAP and food bank was kind of a gap filler. It was never the main line. And so it won't be we won't be able to We're going to put more money toward that. We as a as a county commission, we've put about two million dollars with the URPA money that we did. We're looking for more opera money. We know we probably got at least another two hundred thousand. We're scraping to sign some others. Uh so that number may go up, but we know that that is just a temporary situation. Then what people don't understand the economic impact of the snap benefits. In other words, for every dollar that we put in you talked about the nineteen million, we get one dollar and fifty four cents back. So we're talking about almost you know, over two hundred close three hundred million dollars economically in the economy to keep this economy going.
Speaker 2: Because you're going to buy stuff, you're going to go to the store, you're going to go to Kroger, whatever, and that money gets pumped back into the economy, and that means jobs and a fewer people are done. You know, Okay, you don't need that many people at Kroger working wherever you get your groceries, and you can't you keep I talked to a Kurt Ryber on Monday Show. Alicia Reese CEO of the Freestar Food Bank, and he was he was kind about that. They said, well, I'm optimistic we'll get this thing settled now here it is, you know, we're heading in the back half the week and all of a sudden that's not looking at a certainty or a guarantee for sure. But he said, look, we might have to open twice a month to folks who are on SNAP are supposed to once a month, and he's going to have to lean on his vendors as suppliers, and of course the generosity of Cincinnatians and they serve not just Cincinnati, but as you know, like twenty counties. So if you're hearing this and like I have make a donation the free Store Food Bank because it's that time of the year and now we're getting to you know, Thanksgiving and Christmas when the need is even great. It's like the worst time possible for this to happen.
Speaker 6: It's the worst time possible. And as you indicate it, we looked at also the Director of Jobs and Family Services, because all of the SNAP benefits don't happen just at the beginning of the month, right, We've got half at the beginning of the month. So we've got a group that will be impacted November first. Then we've got another half where theirs are in the middle of the month, so theirs would go out right at Thanksgiving. I mean, it's unbelievable. And then you talked about Kroger's and others. They're small, there's farmers' markets, there's smaller retails. Over almost ten thousand retails stores throughout Ohio will be affected. So now we're talking about some you know, some of the smaller stores as well as it affects you know, Kroger's and all those because the less people buy, right, the higher the prices and so. And then some of the smaller retail stores, the farmer markets and those kinds of things, some of them have indicated they might go out of business. And those are the ones that provide the fresh fruit into some of these food desert areas. So it's a trickle effect. Then you have senior citizens who many are on medicine, and some children that have to take medicines. And now you have to decide can I afford the medicine or the food. And everybody knows when you take medicines that it says you got to eat with the medicine, so it's a trickle down effect. And then we had CMHA a director come in and he said it also affects because now we're talking about housing and his program has because of the government shut down. He indicated that it will affect people with affordable housing as well. And you know, we've been pushing affordable houses. Will people be able to have a place to live? And you know, it's slow, it's just everything, and you know, I've been on this property taxes. He just chilling us, you know, and we did that. We did that Bengals Deals Sloan and they took out thirty percent, so we can't even try to get to thirty percent rebate. Then the state would not do anything on the property taxes. Yet they're still fiddling trying to figure that out.
Speaker 2: What's going on. And that's that's a whole separate, complex issue, right And then the main time it is coming up, bottom line is Saturday. Unless things change in Washington, a lot of people are going to have to do without. And I, you know, I look at this thing, Alicia Reese's you know, and and we even mentioned for example, the federal workers, for example, who are working out of the paycheck. And I said, when this thing started, I was like, okay, it's theater, is what it is. And then what happens is in about thirty days that theater becomes reality. So you see the snap benefits cut concerns with the FAA. You have freder worker's now missing a couple paychecks. You know most families can afford. You know, Okay, can we tighten it up for till the next pay cycle? Sure we do that all the time. You start talking a couple of pay cycles, that's a different story entirely. And yet these people still have to show up to work.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they got to show up to work not getting paid. Song. Now we're in twenty twenty twenty five, right, twenty twenty five people working and not getting paid. Come on, in this society, there'd be a furlough. These people have home mortgages, they will have the property taxes. We do, their gas and electrics do. Now you're talking over here those with the snap benefits now they can't get anything to eat. Children's families worried.
Speaker 2: How problems gonna be a problem.
Speaker 6: This is outrageous. And then the phone we have until this Thursday, and I don't think it's gonna go. The state then said, hey, you fix the problem on property taxes, and you saw Butler County and Orange County they looking to double the homestead to help the seniors. But it doesn't look like you know, I asked the administrator to look at all options, and it doesn't seem like I'm going to get the support to be able to do that here in Hamilton County. So now what do we do. We can't give the homeowners to break federal workers furloughs. That's your middle class that they're working with no paycheck. Senior citizens have done their time and they can't now get anything to eat. They don't know if to pay for the medicine or can they pay to get something to eat. Children out here hungry. These ninety seven thousand people affected about the snap benefits, like you said, nutrition and all that, they can't even get anything to eat, and most of them are working every day. I mean, what are we doing here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean pretty soon it's gonna be you're gonna look at it and go, okay, well I can feed my kids, or I can pay the electric bill, and you know, you can have a really good job and good income stream and still feel the pinch of the spatic hell Isshia, you got a couple of you good money and you still have a hard time painting your electric bill.
Speaker 6: Hey, let me just say let me say this.
Speaker 2: Let me say this.
Speaker 4: I am.
Speaker 6: I am a normal working person and I and I have the struggles of everybody.
Speaker 2: Because this morning Alicia was a little late because her phone died because her power went out. And I said, well, I mean you got pay that, you gotta pay, you got pay, Duke Kennedy.
Speaker 6: Girl, I jumped up, saw said, I said, waving my glasses. I said, wait, mante isn't say, and you know, get my get my lecture, I got my receipt.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna waving in somebody's face.
Speaker 6: It was a power or somebody won't.
Speaker 2: Be Yeah, that's what it is. I love the conspiracy.
Speaker 6: I really do.
Speaker 2: Us Alisha ras County Commissioner on the show, it's let me just tell a picture.
Speaker 6: I've got the five or three release bus and we have helped thirty thousand people where we got the bus going all over the county. We're going to try to connect people to as much help as we have available to them. Right now, we're bringing food, We're bringing all kind of help from jobs and family services, anything we have. We're going to try to connect them and answer the problems that they may have. And we also try to get people. Let's get these unclaimed funds, every little dollar count. We're in a nine to one one right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we are, and you hope that cooler heads prevail. Like if I were to talk to you know, Democrats and Republicans, I think the sentiment of the country is, Okay, you made your point. You made your point. Now once you get past. And the reason why the longest shutdown was thirty five days is because after you know, first few weeks at theater, once you start to get past that thirty day, market really starts to hurt people who don't deserve it. And you know, so at the end of the day is you know, could play party politics and our sides got to win and crush the other side. But you know when when individual families and kids and veterans and seniors are getting squeezed out and literally not getting food, I think that's time both sides have to go. Look, we made our point. We've eventually got a govern here. We got to legislate and let's fix this problem through the legislative action, not executive order. And a lot of people blame Trump for all this thing, but it's party politics. It's the lines are so defined and there's such a gap between the two parties right now. This is why Congress largely we're sending them to Washington. What are they doing. All they're doing is shutting. They came and bounce a budgetally share you got one job, you can't do that, and then you shut the government down like every ten minutes on the tens.
Speaker 6: Well, we got to come together. But this is an economics fight. We've got to fight going right now. Sloan from creating the have and the have not and the have nots is growing and getting crushed at whatever they do. I encourage all of them to come together, but we also got to make sure that we could afford to go to the hospital. I mean, I mean, it's an economics fight, Like you said, whether it's a snap benefit, whether it's a property Texas, whether it's you know, whether it's cannot afford to go to the hospital right now, because you know we can't basically America, we just can't afford to pay more. We can't pay more to go to the hospital. We can't pay more to go to the doctors. We can't go out here and cut our snap benefits, we can't pay more for property takes. We just squeezed. So the economy has squeezed us. And like you said, here we are down at the bottom, trying to trying to survive. And I think I would want all of them. I don't care who you are. Take the posits out of it. Enough, fight for Americans to be able to look forward.
Speaker 2: To live, go back and negotiate and come up with something. And you know, Democrats, it's about subsidy. I think subsidy is terrible because it's just making affordable or I guess pretending to make affordable something that's not. You're taking cash from one palm, move it to another. At the end of the day, this is why we've got a thirty eight trillion dollar deficit with the subsidies. Republicans and I've talked to many of my friends in the right side of the owl talk about, you know, empowering people to take care of better care of their health and incentivizing well and it's that's all well and good, but that takes ten, twenty, thirty forty years or more for that to take it. We need a plan right now. We need to fix the broken healthcare system right now. We don't need more sub and we don't need, you know, to empower people in future generations to get healthy. We still need to have people today that have cancer, that have diabetes, that are in wheelchairs, that have mental illness, all those things, and we're not we're not addressing that. We're just kicking the can down the road. And both sides are complicity, that's all it is. And it's squeezing out the county, the city, the state. We're screwed. We don't have the rainy day fund and now that was in the proposals is to get to wind to tap the rainy day funds. There's four billion dollars in that. I don't know how long that would fund SNAP. It might get us through another month. But the problem with that though is, you know, Alicia, is the General Assembly needs to pass the legislation and that's not going to happen by Saturday. You can't directly fund SNAP because the state only verifies eligibility. That's a federal government runs that system.
Speaker 6: Well, I think we all got to have there's unpresident. This is unprecedented what we're doing.
Speaker 2: Self inflicted. That's the worst part.
Speaker 6: Yeah, with self inflicting, and Americas are getting hurt. And I'm articles that you get in ballrooms even though it's private money. Can you imagine three hundred million of private money immediately? We need two hundred and forty million to do SNAP. The money is out there, but they're just squeezing everybody to having no money. And then only certain people have money. And we, like you said, we pay our taxes and we got to get a return on it. We got to resenting stuff to Washington, and damn it, Washington, we got to get it back here.
Speaker 2: Problem. That's a problem working people. I mean, you know, let's take care of the working focus. Most of the people on SNAP are working. Families are working at least a couple jobs. And county commissioner at Lisha Reese, I'll let you go before I don't know, do you need a venue money so you can pay your electric bill? Can I help you? What can I do for you?
Speaker 6: It's been paid okay, all right, it's been paid for.
Speaker 2: And you wireless clariler works, they got I don't want to be.
Speaker 6: But there's some people out there. Let me just say, who can't pay? And I guess I got a glimpse of what it's like in the dark.
Speaker 2: And appreciate you so much. Alicia, thanks for jumping on this morning. Take care, have a good one, always bringing the heat here. Sure you don't any money that electric bill? I get you some cash or cricket wireless. Keep that phone going. She's good radio. She is Alicia Reese Hamlin County Commission in a very serious issue though. On Saturday. Uh, if these benefits expire, I want to believe that even Washington has some sense and goes, you know, we really, we really need to come to some common ground here because people are going to suffer starting on Saturday. Now is it gonna be Saturday? Exactly? That all of a sudden we're gonna have all, now what four million people starving? And I went, no, it's good a few days. But the point has been made. It's time to actually govern for a change. How about that. We sent you to Washington to government? How about governing? Why did you do that? Sloney seven hundred WI helping you put the big P in profession. Here's our career shir Julie Balki, All right, headed towards November. First, some people losing their snap benefits and other people have to make a decision on their healthcare. If you're in the private sector like me, maybe you that means trying to figure that out and navigate that. And only fifty seven percent of full time employees understand their benefits coverage. That is the lowest it's been since twenty twenty. And why that is and what's driving that? She has the answers. It's Julie Balki from the Bouki Group, career coach and consultant. It's Julie on the job of Sloany this morning on seven hundred double dowt. How you been, good morning.
Speaker 7: You know, reading this by harken back to my early days of my career in human resources, and this is not a new problem. In my experience. You had open enrollment every year where people had to come forward and say I select this program or I select this program, and literally for something as important as healthcare and medical benefits, it was like pulling teeth to get people to sign up. And it's just confounding to me. But at the same time, I think sometimes your health and medical benefits benefits in general falls into that same category of I'll worry about it when I need it, okay, like insurance, like general, like home insurance, like I expect it to be there for every every need I could possibly have when I need it. But I don't want to put a lot of time into reading over it because it just confuses me. Which I got it.
Speaker 2: I totally get that. It's like, there's there's twenty different plans and you could do this, and what's the out of pocket? And the thing is, unless you're a nature, no one understands, well, Okay, I got a colpay, I got this forty percent, but here's our family maximum or our monthly maximum. And then it's like I don't know what. Okay. Then you're an STD and LTD and FTD and ESPN and like my eyes glaze over.
Speaker 7: Yeah yeah, And I get it because those kind of things aren't natural for me to dig in and understand either. But it's also not reasonable to ignore it. Just pick, you know, give me the basics, and then you find out six months in that you have to have surgery and it's not covered because you didn't pick the right plan, that's not fair either. You know that's so there has to be And I know it seems that the whole areas seem to get so much more complex with whether it's ACA, or whether you are on your souse's benefits, or whether you're allowed to be on your spouse's benefics if you also have full time employment. So there's all these little loopholes and all these little if this then that kind of stuff.
Speaker 6: But when you think.
Speaker 7: About the moment in which you really need once you're really going to need it, and how it can impact your financial future if you aren't covered and you have to have something done anyway, you just got to bear down to do it. And I know that that's I know that that's hard because I will admit, back when I was in corporate America, it was little last thing I wanted to do, even for myself, and so I get it. But and so it seems like all these people that have said I don't understand it. It seems kind of like a throw out my hands. I know companies do try to explain it, do try they have sessions, they do things to try to help you understand it. But you know, I used to say about benefits. When I was in HR, you can lean horses to water all day long, you can't make them drink. And that's that's really what this comes down to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm the old days. You know, when everyone met in person. We still worked in a workplace, Right, You'd have the big benefit meeting and everyone show up and there'd be someone there presenting the information, namely Julie Bouki or something like that, and it was a horrible meeting because about forty five minutes in your eyes start glazing over about benefits and then are there any questions? And sure, uh the question. Here's Matt Reese in the background raising his hand and he's going to ask a thousand questions and drag this drag this thing out three or four more hours long, and it's just it's insane. It wasn't. Fortunately, you can do that online and we have AI and stuff like that, but benefits are And the reason why we're seeing employees understand benefits lesson is because it's even more complex and expensive, Right, it is more.
Speaker 3: Complex and expensive.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and it feels like if the depth and the scope of benefits get smaller and smaller, I mean, everybody over a certain age remembers a day when, maybe even early in your career, when you worked for a company where it was very small copey, very small deductible, you just showed up anywhere you wanted to and you were taken care of and that was it. And it's those days are never coming back, because certainly healthcare costs have risen cramily for companies, and so they can't.
Speaker 3: You know, I just wish, I just wish at some point it.
Speaker 7: Won't be where I'm alive or you're alive, but I wish somebody somewhere would have the courage to step up and face off with the healthcare and pharmaceutical lobby and the insurance lobby and separates healthcare benefits from employment. That works when they were unions with herban. It doesn't, It doesn't make sense anymore, and it's never apa right.
Speaker 3: It never did.
Speaker 7: That's what the ACA was for, so that you weren't stuck without benefits because you weren't employed. It attempted to make them more affordable, and it did for many, many people, so that you didn't have to hang on to a job you hated just so you had your healthcare covered. I mean even just saying that sentence sounds nutty, right, So yeah, so it's a it's a very very complex problem.
Speaker 2: It really isn't, Julie.
Speaker 3: Let me know.
Speaker 2: I've been on this on this soapbox for twenty something years. It's not that complex. All all Congress has to do is like, look, all right, starting at this date, you are no longer to offer healthcare benefits, healthcare benefits as an incentive at your workplace, like you can't if you're an employer, you don't do it, just don't do it, and and that way you don't have well some companies are offering somewhere just then the practice and allow the free market, Allow of the open market, like you do with your car insurance, like you do with your life insurance, your renter's insurance, all that stuff. The money you would save and not having to hire people like Julie Boukip to and essentially, I mean, how much of your job when you were in HR was HR. How much of your job was managing healthcare costs? You had a whole team, the bigger the company, you had to hire staffs of people to do that. Go to your doctor's office, you may have one nurse practitioner there, but there's five or six people. Their whole job is medical coding, medical building, doing all that stuff, putting entry level stuff to comply with the government and to comply with insurance companies.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but if we're going to do that, if you're going to say, okay, effective January first, twenty twenty seven, healthcare is now unpethered. You have entire industrial complexes of pharmaceuticals, medical products, doctors, hospitals, you know, medicare. I mean, everything has to be ready for that and has to be able to price it appropriately.
Speaker 4: They have to be able to stap for it.
Speaker 3: So it would take a pretty.
Speaker 7: Long runway to do that. Sure, but because the lobbies are so strong in all of those they they are in the back pocket of a lot of politicians that will never vote for that. So here we are again, step because our politicians have their hands out.
Speaker 2: Right right well, and then we need if we need fundraising, and damn it, you can do this, and it's better for America. It's better for the bottom line because you can stand it. You know, democratsical plays. Look, Okay, you're gonna have two hundred and twenty two million people who don't have any healthcare benefits and you're a capitalist and you have money. No, it doesn't work, though, way, the money you save and all the compliance and all the gouvern from a BS, you could take some of that money and have health care for people who fall into the poverty line and still have literally billions of dollars left over, if not trillions of dollars left over to balance the budget to put to something else. Because once employment is tied to healthcare benefits, too many people working crappy jobs simply because they need the benefits. It's so very true if you free what would that do for the gig economy On top of that, people who have two or three or four different jobs that would allow that to go on like gangbusters, Like what you would make up at the back end would more than cover the front end. But of course you're protecting someone else's turf. You're protecting insurance companies and big pharma and insurance providers and PBMs and all that stuff because they've made their success and they don't want that to go away. They don't want that gravy train to end.
Speaker 6: Mhmm exactly.
Speaker 7: It's the what we're seeing, which is I think really interesting. I think this is sort of the future because we're seeing harken back to the old days of COVID, which feels like it was a you know, different lifetime. But we saw think about we saw companies come out like okay, day care for your petday care for your grandma, perks for this, perks for that, you know, because they were in attraction mode. They were trying to get people to come work there. The problem is then when the pendulum swings back the other way, those are the first things to go. But what I do like about the personalization of benefits. So let's say if everybody has the same benefit, So as if a single person, a single thirty year old doesn't maybe doesn't have a spouse, doesn't have kids, and it's really healthy, they they they may choose a more a skinninger plan and then spend again, some of those benefit dollars for catastrophic or for you know, for more vacation time or PTO or doggie daycare or so I love the idea of a bank and a variety of benefits. There's obviously a lot of regulations around this. But the company I used to work four years ago, you had to at least have catastrophic, but beyond that, it was what do you need? Do you need more medications?
Speaker 4: You are you?
Speaker 7: Or can you use some of those dollars for wellness? And so if I think, I hope we're going to be heading in that direction because we are learning, whether it comes to hybrid works, remote work, in office work, one size doesn't fit all and so we have there some sort of personalization is I think a really important recruitment and retention strategy. But it's it's sticky, it's really really sticky. But the companies who figure it out, I think, are the companies who are going to be the places that say, instead of saying here's the benefits package, Oh, you don't need most of these things, sorry about that, instead say what do you need and then here are your options.
Speaker 2: Julie Bouki, our career is sure. But Wednesday morning's here on the Scotsland Show on seven hundred double de' lib bit of tuck and job related stuff on the big issues. We'll get to. The AI stuff is fascinating. We've been talking a lot about that, but we are now in that sweet spot here for benefits, right, it is trying to understand your benefits coverage. Decision day is coming up, kind of like when it was sports. To steal an analogy there, it is decision day. You decide how much more you're going to pay and how fewer benefits you're going to wind up getting. It's a mess. It's a nightmare. Only about sixty percent, less than six out of ten full time employees fully understand their benefits coverage. That's the lowest market it's been since twenty twenty. It's been trending down now for the last number of years because it's become more expensive, it's become more complex. People don't like to make the decision. They him and haw about it. They want to save some money, but then they worry what if they get sick? And I cover this whole thing? So we understand to struggle the benefits and how to access them when we need them, because I mean, let's face it, if your company is trying to get the best deal possible, you're probably changing insurance companies pretty much every year at this point. Benefitsarian and now this company to this, well, we're not doing this, we're not covering that, and just keeping track of it as a nightmare. Imagine being an HR professional when HR staffers and senior management said, and seven out of ten then say, we don't understand it all ourselves. That's a problem. That shows you how big the problem is.
Speaker 7: And imagine all of a sudden there's an accident, yeah, or you're very sick.
Speaker 1: Is that really want to.
Speaker 7: When you want to be online trying to figure all this stuff out and getting the bad news that you I forgot to plan up for that, right, So don't wait until that moment. And I always say, you know, I had a personal experience when my husband passed away. We had his living will, we had his healthcare power of returning. Everything was fresh done and in a notebook, and I just handed it to the hospital because I was I didn't even I couldn't even figure out where I was at the moment. So it's you know, I think you have to start. You have to put a little few brain cells toward figuring out am I ready when the worst happened. It doesn't have to consume you, but you're going to be glad you did because.
Speaker 6: It comes for us all eventually.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, some that's gonna come back. And I wonder how like small and mid sized companies navigate this. You don't have a huge HR department to navigate all the thing. I'd imagine AI at some point, if not now, it is starting to fill that void.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and I also they also a lot of times they rely on their benefits provider. They're brokers, the folks that they work with to develop the benefits programs. They rely on them to do the communication because they really are the experts. And so I would imagine the smaller companies more rely on their third party administrator or there. They're like an outsourced sort of organization that handles that for them because honestly, they're the experts. So it's going to be it's going to be a better use of their time.
Speaker 2: Anyway, before we started talking, I'll pivot to something else here, Julie Bucky, you were going off in a private conversation we had, and I've got a little bit more time to kill here with you. So Zach Taylor said that someone needs to step up relative to this this hapless Bengals defense. Somebody needs to step up. You, as someone who's in HR, you observe leadership. You're you know, you're in the corner office. You're a C suite kind of person. When you hear the head of an organization say someone needs to step up? What does that say to you?
Speaker 7: H of course I cringe. Of course I was at the game, so especially salty. But can you imagine the CEO.
Speaker 6: Of Croction and Gamble?
Speaker 7: And I know Jack said more than that, So can you imagine the top of any organization, bea a government, public, private, somebody needs to step up here? It's like, well what happened to the buck stop here? You know? And I know that the defense get together and have their own meeting and all of that, but the coach, the people at the top set the tone. People are looking for someone to follow, either in either in tone the tone make set, or the attitude that they support and bring to the party. And you have as a leader, nobody wants to see you stand up in front of a group and go anyone, anyone, anyone, you know. I mean, It's just that's just what it felt like to me, and it just it just made me cringe. So I think I was resenting to you about that.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think you're entirely miss accurate. They're and inaccurate there, I guess I should say, is it somebody needs a step up. But it isn't that then indicative of his ability as a scout slash head coach. Duke Tobin as the is the essential of the guy who gets the players. I mean, if you don't, if you don't wind up recruiting in business or in football or sports for that matter, people who not everyone's going to be a you know, run through the wall leader. You can't have a team full of those. But that's a defense that tells me that's a team that doesn't have any leadership.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it does make me wonder a certain point. That was all. You know, I don't even pretend to know one percent of what there is to know about football, so I'm always just really careful. That's like the feeling in the stadium with something else on Sunday. It was very much like everybody was stunned into silence.
Speaker 1: Then the boots.
Speaker 7: Started, but everyone's like, I mean, people look at each other like what just happened? It was really it was really a really different experience being there, and that doesn't happen with tight, well coordinated teams in at Procter and Gamble or at Kroger or you know, in the city of Loveland or wherever you know. I mean, it's just people are people are in all those roles, and there are certain commonalities that all humans have with each other. We want to be led, we want to be inspired, and it falls to it falls to the people at the top to set that tone. And if you can't, you've got to look at it, bring somebody in who can. It's that it's that little extra oomp that you get by having an inspiring leader.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know that at this point. If Zach Taylor can do anything else. It's the fact that well, they don't draft very well and don'tus address problems as they come up. And there's a whole host of other problem. I know they got a bigger problem because Friday is to drop dead day on Friday, and if you want to renew your season tickets at a higher price than this past season, that's decision today right there. Julie Bauki all the best our curer, shirp at the Bauki Group, Bauk e the Balkigroup dot Com career coaching consult right here in Cincinnati, can help you out if you are lost in the woods or looking for your way out. She's got you jewels all the best. Thanks again, Julie on the job this morning with the news on the way in four minutes and when a return. This uh Zoar Mamdani is looks like he is going to be the next mayor of the City of New York. Normally don't care too much about what happens in New York City. I care about Ohio. I came to bout Kentucky, care about Indiana. So you look at you New York go New York LA. I you know, not a big cable news guy, don't really care all that much what's going on there. But I think you'd miss something if you didn't see that. The attitude that's allowing that to happen, granted, very progressive, very liberal New York City, but and about socialists with some of the policies he's proposing here makes one shake their head. And how did we get to this point? Is the question that someone like that can actually win office in the larger, most impactful city in the United States. We'll get to that next on seven hundred WW Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: Don't want to be an American.
Speaker 2: Mendami. That's the name you need to know, because in the next few days as we get to the election, he's probably going to be the next mayor of the City of New York. A socialist to be the mayor of the City of New York. That is frightening for a lot of people, warming for many others as well, But it does throw things in a turmoil. Shows you how the way politics is going for that matter. Also, you know, we're in Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky. Now, if you watch cable news, you probably get a steady die of the fear of this guy. But most people I live in Ohio, I'm in the middle of I don't care who cares New York City. If he continues the path he's going to, and let's say he winds up becoming the next mayor of New York City, he's going to help reshape the narrative and the politics and the leadership nationally if that occurs. The why and the how. Ken Girardan is with Manhattan Institute, writes about this in Socialism on the Husband and I love the title, Ken, how are you?
Speaker 4: Cory could be with you?
Speaker 2: You're there there, You're in the heart of the thing. So you know more about this guy than most of us do. But is that fairly accurate, Like there's an underbelly here that this guy and we see socialism pop up from time to time, but this guy could be the next mayor of New York City. That's gonna change. It's gonna be kind of like a maybe a mini blue wave going across the country.
Speaker 4: I'd actually pushed back a little bit and I'd say he's kind of a lagging indicator. Okay, that is him winning the primary. That was a kind of a wake up call to folks to say, let's let's zoom out and look and just see where socialist proposals have already taken route, some of them. Donnie had spent five years in the state of Emily in Albany, and so that was my first stop. And I looked there and I reviewed there are a number of socialist proposals, some of which have pretty widespread political support, but other big ones also predate him as an assemblement. And I thought this was a good opportunity to take a look at the full, the full buffet of stuff that people in the socialist persuasion want sure, And I bring that up.
Speaker 2: As I said, Okay, you could see because among younger people Younger people love socialists. You go to a college campus, you know you've got Socialism is the greatest thaying. We just got to do the right time. Socialism is a failed experiment, but we just we haven't fully done socialism yet. And that's always the excuse, right, is so why socialism fails. And of course there's a host of other reasons. There's you know, central planning can't allocate resources effectively, and you get rid of competition and that drives incentivization a whole bunch of things. And we can get into why socialism is bad as a as a political philosophy. But young people see because yeah, I look at young people to America. It's New York City or Cincinnati, and hey, they're worried about jobs, they're about housing, they worried about health care. Healthcare is a mass. Both Republicans Democrats created this problem, and no one has a solution to fixing it other than more subsidies that we continue to borrow money to give subsceeded to people to make it afford It's not affordable. We're just taking money from one pile and moving it somewhere else. You worry about you know, people haven't worked two or three or more jobs just to keep their nose above water, and a lot of people can't do that. Housing is getting unrealistically unexpensive, So there's like a grossola of young people feel like they're painted in a corner right now, and that is always a catalyst or something like this coming along.
Speaker 4: Well, let's remember everybody grows up in not just socialism, but actually communism to a certain extent. That's where your family is, like I have I have communism at home with my children, where there's communal responsibility, community, communal ownership, and that's great within the family unit. When you start trying to build an entire society around it, that's where things historically have always fallen apart and struggled. That's where you inevitably have markets because you always have mismatching needs and wants between family units. And that's something where the socialists don't appreciate that different. It's between what goes on in the family and what goes on between people with different situations, resources, skills, and and neat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's socialism, is uh. And then the next phase after communist socialism. You know a lot of people go to school and they learn about socialism and then it just becomes the you know, one campus agitator talking about we just haven't had perfect socialism, the right socialism yet. But you know the basis of socialism just in general, let alone. The version of what democratic socialism is is it's government ownership and control. It's a single payer system, there's no private competition, and you need all that to thrive into democracy.
Speaker 1: You need that.
Speaker 2: And you know, certainly we have problems in America, there's no denying that. But you know, you want to be like I don't know, you want to be like like the former Soviet Union. Do you want to be like you know, China during during the seventies, Do you want to be Venezuela, Cuba, North Korea? The answer is hell, no.
Speaker 4: You're you're, you're you're very politely going through the history of instances where major, major attempts at socialism have been tried, and one thing that's really unappreciated all that is the disappearance of price signals. When you start having the government promise that they're going to provide everything. I think back to an example from about twenty years ago when the Cuban government had to provide rice cookers for citizens, and there was this it was this big to do. Wow, isn't it so magnanimous? The Cuban government is providing all citizens with rice cookers. And the reason this happened was because the shortage of rice cookers in Cuba had really fanned the flames of the black market that the government had created for everything else because people weren't because there were so many shortages that people were having to go and trade on their own, and you had this sort of blossoming private, private, underground economy. And that's something that socials don't appreciate that prices send information. Prices tell us where things are needed, where things are wanted, right, And that's why you see in those you know, in those societies that they inevitably really do lean into socialism, they inevitably run into trouble.
Speaker 2: Soviet Union comes to mind, chronic shortage of consumer goods and we saw the pictures I'm lined up for toilet paper to be handed out right. You've got abundant natural resources in the Soviet Union, and yet that happened, and you know, we saw the economic collapse, and then they kind of want to go back to that because you have a generation or two that didn't see how bad it was. It's kind of like here with vaccines, right, it's like, oh, well, what the vaccine's got to be worse than whooping cough. Well, if you see what wooping cough looks like, you would rather take the vaccine they have wooping cough. It's the same thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's unfortunate that these are the sorts of lessons that every generation seems inevitably to have to relearn. And it's now been thirty four years since the fall of communism, and there are people alive in their thirties who have never who weren't alive for the USSR, And we have to be constantly reminding people about these about these lessons where they still exist in the world. We can't rely too much talk about what went on behind the Iron Curtain, and we have to talk more about where these shortfalls are in existing countries, including by the way, sometimes own, and talk about where these experiments with socialism just haven't panned out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that is a lesson. But of course the cry has always been yeah, but it's different now, is it really all that different? Because it's an economic next time will be different. Yeah, next time its dead. Well, they haven't gotten it right yet. I mean, look at some of these other countries like Sweden, it's that's more democratic socialism and okay, so explain to me how things are so perfect in.
Speaker 4: A world like that and it's not even I mean, let's be clear, there's a very big difference between having a very robust welfare state funded with lots of taxes and still allowing market competition to happen. What probably what we should be more concerned abot is where the government wants to step in and be the only provider of certain things, where you stop having competition, where you staff having capital allocation. That's where you also run into really big problems with cronyism when you start to put government in charge of things like like the electric grid or the healthcare system, and you you move away from what is an imperfect but at least responsive system. And that's one of the that's one of the importances of preserving those market systems because in a in a poor performing part of the market, you can always go somewhere else. You lose that when you have the state takeover stuff and even and like I said, in Scandinavia, they have a lot of social wealth spending, but they don't necessarily have assiciating state ownership of things. There's a there's a very big difference there, and I think people try to almost impolitely sneak Scandinavia through as some example of this, you know, Democratic socialist nirvana.
Speaker 2: But it's not. And that's the thing. Most people don't research it or find that out themselves. Can Gerardan is here Manhattan Institute Socialism and the husband the Hudson the husband Socialism on the husband back to your family situation. Anyway, I'm Donnie's the guy in New York City, the Democratic Socialists who just won the Merrill primary there, and a lot of people are talking to this in the political scene. And you know, if he winds up winning the mayoralship of New York City, which is possible, will you see like a mini blue wave. I think that'd be like a ripple effect because other people look at this and go, wow, yeah, clearly the people are upset. Now that's New York City. The politics and demands in New York City much different than here in Ohio, certainly one hundred percent. But these are the things, these are the mile posts that come along and people go, wow, Okay, it's a growing movement. It has to start somewhere, and why not in New York City, And largely because there's a lot of people who are affected by this economy, this effect that I should say, with jobs and housing and healthcare. You know, you bring up how socialism, but we have a lot of socialism baked into policies in America, right, I mean, you mentioned healthcare. Is there anything more socialistic than our health care system or schools or whatever it might be. Now, granted, we're trying to be able to take your money, make it portable and have private schools and vouchers and things like that with a lot of resistance, but we've got a lot of socialism banked into the American system.
Speaker 4: Now you have instances where we were the most efficient system right now is to have state ownership for things, and we should be constantly looking critically at that and looking for alternatives. Doesn't mean you should throw it out, but we should always be asking the question is this the most efficient, responsive way to do stuff? Because we often find it isn't. Look at what's happened with the postal service over the past fifty to sixty seventy years where you've had private actors come and you know, they have been given the space to compete, and in a lot of cases they're eating the postal services lunch because competition was you know, competition was allowed there. Now we're not going to have rival you know snow. You know, we're not going to have rival roads or a private roads to our houses anytime soon. But in places like the healthcare in the education space, we routinely find that competition not only leads to innovation, but also leads to better outcomes for folks. In New York, there are lots of what are called charter schools, which are publicly funded, privately run schools that parents can pick if they don't like how their neighborhood school is performing. And there are parts of New York City where a third of the public school kids are now in charter schools because they've been given that alternative, that competition. It's good, it's healthy, and we should constantly be looking for opportunities to create more competition, even for instances that we right now call the government.
Speaker 2: It's hard to believe we're like what sixty seventy years past, Brown versus Board of education. But that's exactly what this is. It's like, you know, mister Brown back in the day, said, why do I have to send my kid, my weapons to be black to a school on the other side of town simply because of her skin color? Why can't you go to the one right down the street from us? Same things happening today too. It's like, well, wait, why do I have to send my kid across town to a school that's performing when a underperforming school, why don't we just fix the school that's broken that steps away from my house. Same type of argument, and here we go again, and a limit of time we have because I don't know how many people are found this man Danny thing. But we really haven't discussed his hit list, his wants and these and what he wants to do New York City, why he won the mayor all primary. What are some of the promise What are some things that jumped off the page at you when it comes to the reforms they want to do with a democratic, socialist or socialist system in New York City.
Speaker 4: Three major parts of some of them on Donnie's platform were making buses free with the New York City providing free universal childcare, and then also freezing the rent for about half the apartment in New York City, those that are subject to New York City rent regulations.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, so I'm a landlord, I own property, So you're telling me I have a cap on how much I can charge. What do you think I'm gonna do?
Speaker 4: Ken, I would not be shocked if you were to immediately sell your property if that were the case.
Speaker 2: Sell to the stead or it's like, okay, fine, I'll keep it. But you know your microwave breaks. You think I'm going to replace that anytime soon? The roof is laking, a pipe is broken, your refrigerator isn't working. Where's my incentive to fix that if I can't recoup my losses.
Speaker 4: This is something again that predates Mamdani. This goes back to the twenty nineteen rent laws in New York, which were quite possibly the most extreme rent regulation in the country. But what they've resulted in is something called warehousing, where you have these apartment buildings where a tenant moved out and the landlord just doesn't want to spend ninety or one hundred thousand dollars rehabilitating this apartment. That's often been occupied for forty plus years, and they don't want to do the upgrades. They don't they don't want to spend the money on major mitigation. So instead this apartment gets warehoused, which means nobody gets to rent it. It contributes to the housing shortage in New York City. It stresses the finances of those buildings and limits the apartment owner's ability to invest others that would benefit the other tenants. And it is something that is there for which there Eventually there will be a reckoning in New York as more apartments get warehoused, as more apartment buildings get pushed into financial distress by this law, and at the end of the day, the biggest losers are going to be the tenants in.
Speaker 2: New York City. It looks like it did in the seventies, where you have burnt out buildings and poverty on top of poverty, and it becomes a dystopian nightmare.
Speaker 4: I very much hope that we don't ever ever revisit that situation that we saw, particular the Bronx comes to mind in the nineteen seventies. I really hope we don't get there, but it is always possible for state policy to result in very big problems, especially at the local.
Speaker 2: Level, largely because history always repeats itself. Because we have short memories, we don't learn, We don't look at the past and go, wow, we got to keep doing We go, well, why are we doing that? Why are we doing it? No, it's different now, it's really not really that different. The model. The model still works, and the of socialism historically speaking, even though theoretically, you know, theory is one thing you applied, it doesn't work. You know, central planning can't allocate resources unless you as you mentioned, you know, there's got to be signals from the from the market on what a price on something should be. If not, you're gonna have shortages and surpluses and misallocate. You're gonna have a million toilet seats and no toilet papers, which are gonna wind up having. And there's no incentive for companies to make stuff. We say again back to the Soviet Union, you have one one type of car is all you have? Well, good the hot did that work out for those vehicles, whether it's in Cuba or whether it's the Soviet Union. And Venezuela is another great example. Oil rich high You know you can talk about not having resource, but Venezuela is an oil is an oil rich nation. And you look at what happened there because they nationalize the industries. Productivity went down. You had seven plus million people fleeing in their GDP collapsed. That's why Venezuela is in the state that's in right, and that's why we're blown up ships off their coast because you know, exporting drugs as a you know, front for China is the only opportunity that they have and it's an all origination. It's it's a shame, it really is.
Speaker 4: Well, next time will be different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know what, because now we have the Internet and that's the game change. We have AI. They didn't have the they didn't have the AI back in the nineties. It's gonna be different this time around.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 2: The only thing to change was we had yet people come of age, be born and not seeing the abject poverty and problems with these models and then they just go this seems like a sexy thing because they're buying you know, they're they're buying something somebody else almos like, yeah, you don't have to work and the state supplies everything. Sign me up? Who doesn't want that. It's like crawling back in the womb. You don't have to be responsible, accountable. You don't have to hustle or do anything. But if if you do, and if you want to, we don't have room for you. There's no incentive to do that. Again, it's a kinjerard. And you can read about this at Manhattan Institute dot dot com or is it dot org?
Speaker 4: I apologize it's Manhattan dot Institute.
Speaker 2: Manhattan dot Institute. There you go. So I really it could be the best, the good best, or socialism on the husband. Anyway, thanks again, I appreciate it can be well, thanks for you. Yeah, this guy went from come on, it's another joke and other socialist. Actually it looks like he's gonna wind up winning, uh, the Mayor's office city of New York. And that's gonna be really interesting considering this anti cop and pretty anti capitalism kind of stance on a lot of stuff AOC incorporated over there. We'll see how it goes. Probably not well. Probably rent control is another one. I don't see how that works out anyway. We live in Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana. We don't live in New York City, so there you go news in just a few minutes, and when returned to The Scotsland Show on seven hundred w W, Sarah's here snorting through her nose, laughing about sports because the alternative is crying snorts of all sorts aka the Snort Report. Next seven hundred.
Speaker 1: Might get a little spicy today. I'm curious, yes.
Speaker 2: To know someone who's eternally optimistic, not ridiculous like SEG where they could be oh to twelve.
Speaker 1: Oh, We're never on SEG.
Speaker 2: Don't think you're on that level of fandom slash ass kissing, slash delusion. Where are your craziness? Where are you with this football team right now?
Speaker 1: The game over the weekend sent me over the edge.
Speaker 2: Over the edge. You were there, weren't you?
Speaker 1: I was there.
Speaker 5: I was with my husband, my dad, my uncle. I think among the four of us there were over one hundred f bombs dropped. Hi, you going to lose to the seven Jets. If anyone's going to hand them thirty nine points, it might as well be the Bengals defense.
Speaker 2: They put up five hundred plus yards. The last time they did that was like fifteen years ago when they played the Bengals. The last time unheard of.
Speaker 5: God, I guess on Monday they had a defensive player's only meeting to.
Speaker 1: Be a fly on the wall and there I don't know what they accomplished. What are you going to say, we want.
Speaker 2: To step up? Someone needs to be a cup, somebody.
Speaker 1: Needs No, He's right, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: Adment of your team is that you don't have any leaders.
Speaker 5: Trey Hendrickson, What about that guy? Isn't he one of the captains but he's not loud? Didn't you name six guys as captain?
Speaker 2: You the guy's going to just start screaming at guys in the room. That's what you need. That's a leader.
Speaker 1: When am I going to see Zach Taylor throw a chair?
Speaker 2: You're not.
Speaker 1: I want to see some chair throwing. Come on, get pissed off.
Speaker 2: Imagine what Dan Campbell would be doing, right, throw a chair? You think Tomlin threw some chairs after you got beat by the back.
Speaker 5: Yes, we need the Tomlin attitude here in Cincinnati Sunday.
Speaker 1: Set me over. Now, it's it's Wednesday. It's so mad, he said.
Speaker 2: There's the thing. That's how Zach Taylor gets fired. He takes a chair and throws it through a window and he gets fired for destroying company property because that cost money.
Speaker 1: Exactly, you're losing the jet.
Speaker 2: Buddy broke a windows, get calling not sound a thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Of that window in that chair was sixty nine to ninety eight at IKEA.
Speaker 2: Probably we're not going to have this run a tight budget.
Speaker 1: Down here now. That just set them over.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, I'm still not okay, speaking of money, season ticket holders not okay. I came across this article yesterday from Cincinnati inchoir, making its rounds all over social media. I've got it on my Twitter X page out Sarah at least one twenty eight go chime in. The comments are so good. At least just read the comments about pissed off season ticket members.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 5: The article is a thank you letter to the Brown and Blackburn family for increasing season ticket pricing for twenty twenty six. The example in this article, the guy says he's paying forty six hundred dollars for nine games now next season, going up to six thousand dollars six thousand bucks in twenty twenty six. He says, since twenty twenty two, tickets have increased by over two hundred percent. Also, season ticket members not happy that their thank you gift is a sticker?
Speaker 1: What a sticker?
Speaker 2: A sticker?
Speaker 1: A sticker?
Speaker 2: What's a sticker? Say, season ticket holder? That's it the QR code for Venmo. You can send him more money exactly.
Speaker 5: And I guess season ticket members are not happy because they'll go to these like exclusive season ticket member events where they're having to pay extra money for things like you got to spend extra money to take a pic with who Day or to get this little I don't.
Speaker 1: Know, this extra gift. I don't know. I'm not I'm not a season ticket member.
Speaker 5: My dad used to be, and he dropped them before the Joe Burrow era because he was so pissed about missing the playoffs and spending extra money and the pricing going up and having the license for the seat and here we go again.
Speaker 1: So and then here we go.
Speaker 5: It's like a vicious circle. You know, your quarterback is constantly sidelined, you can't get a new defense. Pricing just keeps going up, and then they're getting hounded by you know, the sales, like what are you gonna do?
Speaker 1: You're gonna renew? What's going on? Otherwise you're going to go on a wait list. If you ever want to get them back. But here's the thing. I understand being a salesperson with a sports team. I used to do it. It's a very tough job. So it's not on them. They're just trying to get their numbers and.
Speaker 2: They're getting yelled at.
Speaker 1: But yeah, and it sucks though, because they do have to be the person that tells you, hey, the pricing is going up.
Speaker 2: Do you want the seats?
Speaker 1: Do you want the seats or not? Otherwise you're going to go back on a wait list for years.
Speaker 6: See.
Speaker 2: I think you're looking at it wrong.
Speaker 1: I am you know what.
Speaker 2: Yeah, here's why you're looking and why. Here's why angry fans are okay, and I get it because they're not happy. You shouldn't be happy about this. But here's the thing. You need to look at this not as hey, it's my team, I'm gonna go to every single game. You need to look at this if you have the money as investment. So let's say, for example, I don't know, you're looking to see, that's a PSL, right, do the PSL Personal seat license? In some stadiums they do this and they don't like there's I know that my dad had to do it right, like like like I don't know, four grand a seat or something like that, right right, Okay, So I got to lay that out and then look at the season tickets and X dollars a season, you know, a couple thousand, Okay, So if you go to I don't know, half the home games, can you then turn around and sell those tickets on the secondary market the way stadiums are now, they're not doing box office. There's no such thing as a box office. It's all secondary market, it's all hub. It's the NFL. The NFL does it whatever, right, So you got to look at that and go, all right, I put the money out. If I sold tickets to these games like the Steelers or Casey or whoever's coming to town, can I make up in those three or four games? Can I make up the difference and actually make money off the season ticket?
Speaker 7: Okay?
Speaker 1: Members that do that and they lose money.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's because it's the Bengals.
Speaker 1: They came in negative last year by five thousand bucks.
Speaker 2: That's the problem. So you got to look at that as an investment, going, hey, can I make money by selling this to whatever team travels? Well?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 2: Like you do that the red Like, look.
Speaker 1: At the Lions fans. They took over our stadium.
Speaker 2: So you're going to get some of that money back. So it offsets that cost of being a fan.
Speaker 1: Well, thing obviously went up when we did get Joe Trout.
Speaker 2: And do you look at it as a fan, go, no, I want to go to all the home games. And then you're miserable about it. And I'm not saying not buy the tickets. But you know it's set up like now, it's more of investment going, hey can I get some of this money back and make I may lose them all money.
Speaker 1: I think most people come back in the negative.
Speaker 2: They're not in to make money. But it off racks considerably that investment.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because once you do get rid of them, you have to go back on a wait list to get them, is what the sales rep, I guess is saying.
Speaker 2: And if you're new a fan, quit looking at it as a oh I'm a fan, super fan, I need to go to every game. No, you need to look at as an investment.
Speaker 1: You can be both things.
Speaker 5: You can be a super fan and you can also be mad about the rising cost and get rid of your season tickets.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 1: It doesn't go against your fandom.
Speaker 5: I mean, just because I'm going to stay at home this Sunday and watch the game on tea doesn't make me less of a fan.
Speaker 2: No, it doesn't.
Speaker 1: Saying this is too expensive.
Speaker 5: I did get on tickpic this morning just to look at what it's going to be against the Bears this Sunday.
Speaker 1: It's like two fifty for the end zone fans coming down to and are they I guess so it's an easy drug like.
Speaker 2: Cubs fans, and they're rabbit about that.
Speaker 5: I mean, the Bears aren't too bad of a team, but four and three it's worth a travel. I've got a couple of friends that are making the.
Speaker 2: Trips sure enough. Selling your tickets for three hund or whatever it is, and you know you offset that cost a little bit more. You're right, it's an investment, it is.
Speaker 6: And it is.
Speaker 5: It's very expensive to go to a game. I mean you pay for the parking and then you get a I mean it's a seven hundred day, seven hundred dollars day out.
Speaker 2: It subs charging the season ticket holders though to have their picture taket with the mascot is it's insulting and.
Speaker 5: That's what the article on Inquiry is saying, go check it out. The guy who's saying yeah, like you know, the company the Christmas party, they're you know, they're wanting money to take a pic with who Day with the Santa and all that, I mean whatever, that makes no sense.
Speaker 2: This is really interesting because there's no one more positive outside of seg on this radio station about Cincinnati sports teams.
Speaker 1: But you always try to stay positive.
Speaker 2: But Sunday she's been one hundred right now because you're like, look, I go to all the games. You know, I'm taking pictures, I got my all stuff, I'm supportive, I'm doing and if you lose a release.
Speaker 5: You got real, bros, you've really lozed. And I won't be there on Sunday. I have a reason for that. I will be out of down.
Speaker 1: But it is getting ridiculously expensive to be there.
Speaker 2: It's always just going to get more expensive every year.
Speaker 5: Yes, and again that's why my dad dropped his stuff too, and I don't blame him. So ciccut Brice is going up for twenty twenty six. That is something trending on social media.
Speaker 2: Good good time to do that when your team sucks, and I mean Joe burrowl he's fine. The offense did great, the running game was great.
Speaker 1: Offense is not the problem. They put thirty eight points. That should be an easy.
Speaker 2: Waiting for Joe Burrow to come. Well, if Joe Burrow comes back, somebody said, well, talking about how they should go and get Brendon Sorosby and Trent coach him up. It's like, that's the dumbest rap every can you play defense? If Flacco's fine, He's doing fine.
Speaker 1: Blacco is great. Flacco looked great on Sunday, he looked great the week before. He looked great in Lambeau.
Speaker 2: The play calling, then you look at that in that final stretths. It's not on Flacco.
Speaker 1: Why are you going up the middle?
Speaker 2: Thank you? Yoshibash couldn't catch a cold at this point.
Speaker 1: I love Yoshi, No you don't. I love him as a person.
Speaker 2: I don't care about great dude's Cincinnati. But he's such a good guy.
Speaker 5: And that's what that's what people were saying about Zach Taylor. A great guy, wonderful family man, super nice. But I don't want nice anymore.
Speaker 1: I want wins.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want wins. Go ahead, and you know what if you want to add to the crime problem. Cincinnati, go ahead as long as you win, right.
Speaker 1: So the trade deadline is problem square.
Speaker 2: I don't care, but you're asked me to be there on Sunday.
Speaker 5: Trade deadline is Tuesday. I don't know what they're gonna do, if anything, What.
Speaker 2: Do you think they're gonna do?
Speaker 5: Nothing?
Speaker 2: Nothing?
Speaker 1: Nothing.
Speaker 2: We've got We're good enough to win. It's just we need someone to step up. You drafted guys who don't step up. That's the problem.
Speaker 1: I don't get it. What has Shamar Stewart done for this team?
Speaker 2: Nothing be done. That's starting to look like a boss.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 2: He's still young. It's only a few games.
Speaker 1: But I did two and a half tackles in college and then nothing. You went down Game.
Speaker 2: Two and then getting coached up. I don't know what it is, but it ain't good.
Speaker 1: This defense is really it's horrible, not good.
Speaker 5: Hor Speaking of bad news for the defense, Trey Hendrickson is day to day back with that hip injury. That's definitely we saw him go out before halftime.
Speaker 2: Day to day.
Speaker 1: It's three Hendrickson a waste of money.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, you don't know. One guy get hurt. That's not fair.
Speaker 5: I understand that, but can we say that he's injury prone? Well, it's a lot of money for that guy, though we really haven't seen much out of And guess what when he was on the sidelines during that Steelers game, they still managed to win.
Speaker 2: You got me slit my wrist? You got any good news? I love crapping on the Bengals a year.
Speaker 1: Hey night, we're moving on.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 5: I watched it the entire time. Dank is king with twelve minutes left to go, I was so excited. Hopefully they can go and get it done this Sunday and Columbus. I have all the faith in the world in this team. Please bring us ho much.
Speaker 2: They were all over them and they should have six goals and they just couldn't find And finally.
Speaker 1: They dominated that game over Columbus really did. It was great. It was great.
Speaker 2: Eventually they go in but on Columbus that fought pretty well.
Speaker 1: How many games away until the final? I guess five? They have to get five like that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, hopefully you go to Columbus on what Sunday night, Sunday night and beat them there and then you don't have to play that third. You don't want to go to a third game exactly. I don't want to shoot from the longest time. I hate the idea of going to a shootout.
Speaker 5: But I think that they have to do that during regular season games. That's something that you got to do.
Speaker 2: But don't they do that in the playoffs too? Don't they go to a Yeah, they go to like a kid, they go.
Speaker 1: Directly to that.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think that's terrible.
Speaker 1: I just don't like the ending in a tie thing, especially in the.
Speaker 2: Playoffs, right, you can't do that, you know, It's like hockey sudden death overtime is great speaking of my falls over dead because.
Speaker 1: I know we don't have a whole lot of time left. We're trying to keep it positive.
Speaker 2: Let's go.
Speaker 5: Our Cincinnati Cyclones are back tomorrow night, and it's it's a very special night.
Speaker 1: Why because I'm going to be the sirens and I'll have a very special guest with me day.
Speaker 2: A siren sound like can you imitate the siren in exactly saying that's what she sounds like to her husband all the time.
Speaker 3: Too.
Speaker 2: That's the best part. I don't know all I hear.
Speaker 5: I told you I'm spicy today, Okay, I'm I gotta get over.
Speaker 2: Who's a special guest the sirens? Hander?
Speaker 5: You have to be there to find out. Trey Hendrickson, No, his hip bothers him. Sure, we don't need him to pull a hip while he's moving the siren.
Speaker 1: And it won't be Joe Flacco because he's day to day with a shoulder injury.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you can't even get past it.
Speaker 5: But less than one hundred and fifty days until opening day, all right? Oh, and they found out who did the Marty statue vandalism. Yeah, a thirteen year old child. I love a thirteen year old boy. At three o'clock in the afternoon.
Speaker 2: On Saturday, engine boded my CPD sources said they found a little hunkle other paints.
Speaker 1: What do you do with the thirteen year old kid? He doesn't go to jail.
Speaker 2: He did it, and like he tried to fix it.
Speaker 4: He did.
Speaker 1: He's like, oh crap, that mic just came off the stand.
Speaker 2: I didn't see that, and then he ran off. I didn't see the whole video. Did he intentionally try to bend the mic or was he trying to It's.
Speaker 1: Kind of hard to tell. The footage so grainy. What did Marty say that Mic is about as strong as the Bengals defense.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you should.
Speaker 1: A lot more bothered Trump and had the National Garden. My god, I thought so too.
Speaker 2: Will you start to facing my likeness?
Speaker 1: No, that's when we got a real get them damn.
Speaker 2: Soldiers, Downtell. I don't know what the hell they're doing down here.
Speaker 1: It wasn't the swat out. They said they're gonna be out from two to ten sniper.
Speaker 5: Where was the swat Snipers around the Marty's lasher? Just now we're going to have security around this thing that's glued to the wall.
Speaker 2: You are clear to take the headshot? Clear? Did you do what you want to? Found and you can do what you want to crime running rampant, but don't you deface the Hall of Famers.
Speaker 1: Don't disrespect my guy.
Speaker 2: Don't do it. That bronze is etched in bronze. Sarah, release the Snart report this morning. Any very dismal, depressing.
Speaker 1: Please get it done this weekend.
Speaker 5: Please go get the win against the Bears, because then they go to the by and then the schedule doesn't get any easier.
Speaker 1: It doesn't get any easy.
Speaker 2: I'm loose to the Jets. I don't get it. I don't know what to expect Sunday. I really don't, but I'll watch.
Speaker 5: That's what I have no prediction. To ask me about a score because I have no idea. I could have never predicted thirty nine to thirty eight would be the final against the Jets and seven Jets now the one and seven.
Speaker 2: One and seven, congratulations. Cincinnati is that team.
Speaker 5: If anyone's going to get those stats up for other teams, it's definitely going to be our defense.
Speaker 2: They always optimistic. Sarah, lease that siren go again.
Speaker 5: Come to the Cyclones game seven thirty puck job tomorrow. You will hear the siren for yourself and see my special guest.
Speaker 2: And Okay, the scary part about Thishau, I wonder do people with with what's going on downtown when when people hear that siren, do they just do they hide under the seat, think that just twitch.
Speaker 5: A little bit, a little bit like promise you it's a very pleasant. But the police definitely not.
Speaker 2: Or cat and heat. I don't know what's going on over here.
Speaker 1: Honestly, that was not a bad impression.
Speaker 2: There's cats lining up at the door right now. They want to make you.
Speaker 5: I just looked, Sure, I gotta get out of here. She that's just really lingering. I'm here now with a soup. I need soup taken.
Speaker 1: More calls that I By the way, those calls are entertaining.
Speaker 2: That's that that right there, Spicy back tomorrow. K Christio one of two to have any BNS to snort report Wednesday mornings here on the home of the Best and Worst Bangles Cage seven hundred w W cents of that