Speaker 1: A little wired, but I'm raided rock man. Uh missed you. By the way. Everybody like I'd say, about one third of my plane coming from Atlanta back to Cincinnati, A lanted about one one third of the plane is like, are you gonna make it for the show. I'm like, yeah, man, I'm like, Eddie misses me. I'm definitely gonna be there.
Speaker 2: So that's right. I can't carry on another day without your son.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, But you were in you were in uh well well down outside Austin.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was in San Marcos, Texas for the big JMU at Texas State game last night on ESPN two. It was a good game for half and then it wasn't. JAMU is really good. I think they could make the college football Playoff, for what that's worth. But nevertheless, while I was gone, Ed, I saw this news and and and obviously you did two. Amazon is laying off thirty thousand people, okay. And these are largely like, you know, like corporate kind of desk jobs, and it's all because of AI. And you know how that is just made the workplace so different anymore. And there's it does make you wonder and you and I have had guests on about this before Edin. We're tracking down our guy right now. Throughout history, it's always like, you know, inventions and technology have increased jobs and have have made things better. You and I talk all the time. I disagree, Like, I really wonder if AI is something that's going to spur a bunch of new jobs or is it just going to take over you know, blue collar jobs, white collar jobs, and anything involving technology. Why would you hire a person to do it when a computer can do it and instantaneously and so much more efficient than than you or I or any any human being can. So what do people do for work in the future. If you're a a guy and a kid, a girl, a guy in high school right now and you're thinking about going into you know, coding or something like, are you going to have a job? Is there something you know in that field anymore? What's the modern workforce look like for for people, especially young young folks.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the thing is that everybody's been saying AI is going to replace jobs, this and that and the other, and the people were saying, oh no, they're going to be you can, you'll get another job. Well, these people aren't getting new jobs.
Speaker 1: Dude, No, I feel like and we'll talk to our guests about it. I mean, I think, at least for the time being, more more blue collar jobs like construction things like that will open up. But you know, there's a lot of people sitting in a in a college and a freshman you know, computer class right now. That's saying, look, I don't necessarily want to frame houses, so you know, you know, but do you have an option at this point? Do you have or is there any future in some of these the tech fields that were have been a part of many jobs for god the last couple of decades.
Speaker 2: Well, and that's we've had guests on about that too. Rock is that more and more young people have switched to more of a blue collar type of approach to it. And hey, the world needs plumbers and welders and builders, Hamstring. I mean more than you need another computer programmer. Obviously you do.
Speaker 1: But I feel like it's happened so fast that you know, how much how long is that correction going to take where a young person that's in high school getting ready to go to college, are they going to be able to wrap their mind around that change fast enough to be able to go into a field where they can have a job and you know, and make make money and support a family and all that sort of thing. It kind of remains to be seen. And the other thing too, is you wonder what is the for people that don't fully understand the ins and outs of AI, Like how far behind are you? You know? Like I understand some of it, I don't. I can't say I utilize it a ton. I usialize it a little bit day to day. But if you're somewhere out there that has no idea how it works, doesn't want to know how it works, what's your future in this thing?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: I will tell you that my youngest son, Luke has.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he did.
Speaker 2: He did the usual kid stuff and worked serve. You know, he worked at the fast food joint, and he did this and that and the other, and uh, he got a job working in a small factory metal metal fabrication and theres nothing about it.
Speaker 1: But you know what he did.
Speaker 2: He went in and put his nose to the grindstone and just started watching what those guys do. And now he is. He's not a foreman. He's only been he's been there less than a year. He's not a foreman. But he is moving. He's rapidly moving up the chain right home. I'm like, dude, you keep this up, You're going to own this place in like two years.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, But but that's that's the mentality it's going to take. Is is making a kind of a quick correction turn and into what you want to do, and and and figuring that out and and you know, and being able to go with the flow. And I think if you're I hate to say it, but if you're at a point where you're very resistant to all of these new things that AI brings along and and the replacement of jobs, that you're going to be kind of s o l here moving forward.
Speaker 3: See.
Speaker 2: Well, I've always said that if I couldn't have done this, I don't know what the hell I had ended up doing. I'm not lyning to yet, I'd be a bark.
Speaker 1: You see you strap it on a tool belt and with your pipe is you know, pipes and your wrenches and stuff.
Speaker 2: You haven't seen me try to build something, dude.
Speaker 1: Uh, that's a great mental image, by the way, right, No, your cigarette growed up in your in your your shirt there.
Speaker 2: Actually, when I was a younger, I it was one of those things where whilst I put my nose to it, I my first house I bought, I did do some work in that house and hunk some I hunk some drywall and and finish hunk and finished drywall. I did that for a little bit in high school and just stuff like that. But basic plumbing and electric especially, man, I don't know if you can deal with electricity knock yourself out because I did not want to touch that stuff.
Speaker 1: I feel like you do have to again and find a way where you got to make a figure out a way to make the machines and technology work for you. You can't work for it, if that makes sense, you know, And some of these a lot of these you know, computer jobs, even corporate jobs that you know have to do with filing and you know, and and all that sort of thing that those are going to be gone. But if you can figure out a way to make the technology work for you, that's I think that's the path to do it. And I don't know it's but it's definitely changing pretty quickly, way quickly.
Speaker 2: Based on what we were just going to be talking about. Pretty soon we're going to be working for technology, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: That's the thing. Is there a future? Yeah, well that's the thing. I think that and I'm just you know, I'm just thinking out loud. But you know, if you're working for that stuff, I don't know what the future is. But if you can figure out a way to make the technology work for you, then you may have a have a future and you can you know, go and make a bunch of money and go about that way. But yeah, if you're just sitting there waiting on you know, being able to do kind of normal tech jobs that have been around for again ten twenty years, those probably aren't going to be there anymore.
Speaker 2: All right with that, let's check in with traffic and weather. What is going on?
Speaker 4: Always remember measure twice cut Once there you go, just a little bit of help for transitioning into another technical cap yep, you know.
Speaker 2: This show is fun and educating too.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 4: In the you See Health traffic center with a stroke every second count. So there's your team home to rapid life saving treatment and clinical trials. You See Health is a clear choice for stroke care. Learn mooreu See Health dot com. Seventy five northbound before Donaldson, A crasher on the right shoulder in Kentucky that has a police on the scene, and we have that problem on two seventy five westbound being cleaned up the off ramp to seventy one. Crashers on the right hand side MLK between Eden and Highland, the accident with crews getting that taken care of, and just getting reports of an accident on the shoulder. Seventy five northbound a turfway, so watre slowdowns and we have the heavier traffic through the long term work on seventy five southbound not a Reagan Highway down to Norwood Lateral, but a ten minute trip from Sheppard. I'm Rick Shrump and he's rating up. Seven hundred w WELW.
Speaker 2: The forecast from a seven hundred WLW weather center for tonight clouds rain, the lower fifty or forty two four tomorrow clouds rain and the high of fifty.
Speaker 1: It is fifty now.
Speaker 2: News Radio seven hundred WLW buzz.
Speaker 5: Did my budd trigger treating And when I got back in, Daddy took my sticker's, Mom took the kid cats, Grandpa took the twicks. Grandma to us cups smell alas candy corn and candy Cornious.
Speaker 6: Sucks handles, take your hands off your candy.
Speaker 1: We're the ones who went Dora door to get this stuff, and the last thing we want is there be left with us steaking second candy horn.
Speaker 7: A holiday reminder from seven hundred WL.
Speaker 1: Candy Cornious sucks.
Speaker 8: Freedom isn't free. And on Tuesday, November eleventh, we remember.
Speaker 2: Halloween activity going to a college campus of the soume.
Speaker 1: Maybe there were.
Speaker 2: Maybe so a few Halloween costumes along the way or some say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my wife usually frowns upon me attending like uh sorority parties and things like that while I'm on the road. But but at the game, I yeah, there was. There's some folks decked out at Texas State and some some costumes. So it's cool is that time of year. Yeah, that's what. I don't know why she always does that. By the way, you know, there's just some you know, young women that you know, they maybe need a little guidance and maybe some things I can impart some wisdom I can impart on them. But yeah, what Kelly just doesn't isn't really up on it.
Speaker 2: I don't see that that. That's sad to.
Speaker 1: Me, surprising, right, it's kind of selfish.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it really is selfish that you wouldn't let you minister to these young ladies and share the here.
Speaker 1: Just here to help, ad, I'm just here to help, right.
Speaker 2: I went to college, Yeah right, yeah, and I'll go along with you. And I'm like and see, I'm way older than him, so you don't even know. U double creeped.
Speaker 9: Out on this.
Speaker 1: Think of the wisdom you. I could impart on a sorority.
Speaker 2: Boy, we sure could, I'm telling you.
Speaker 1: Rock.
Speaker 2: In other news, speaking of such activity only in Amsterdam, this happened at the UH, you know, at the reichs Museum there, which is the fancy place you know, that's where they have all the ven goes, the rembrands and whatnot. Of course, they had an exhibition called safe Sex. As part of the the display, they had a condom from eighteen thirty that's enhanced with an erotic art. The the condom, the prophylactic is made from a sheep's appendix sorry to say appendage right now, appendix and the UH. The display is meant to show the playful and serious in both the playful and serious side of sexual health with the on. The design on the prophylactic is the image of a nun and three clergymen. The phrase this is my choice is written in French along the length of said sheep bladder. God, where did you let me ask you? Well, the only reason I did that story is because all I could think of is where do you find something like that? A two hundred year old rubber now made of a sheep's appendix?
Speaker 1: Is it on display or is it up for auction?
Speaker 2: It was on display. I don't know what kind of draw that is, but yeah, that's uh. Let's put it this way. Would you make that a point of stoppage on your trip to uh Amsterdam? You'd have to go to the Reichs Museum because it is cool.
Speaker 1: I guess if I was in the Reis Museum already, I would I would wander over to the west wing and just check that out for odd curate curiosity. But I don't know if it would get me to actually take a trip to the museum.
Speaker 2: In other news, moving across the pond over our way to you know, Florida. Police in Florida are looking for a suspect who quote unquote fondled a six hundred and fifty dollars ferret for some time at a pet Land store and then shoved the animal down his pants and walked out.
Speaker 1: Wait first, that is the most shocking part of this that costs six hundred dollars. Well, that that caught me. I got a lie. That might be the most shocking thing about that hole in that area, that a ferret costs six fifty Who knew?
Speaker 2: Greasy little rat looking whatever? But anyways, it was reported that the band brows the ferret.
Speaker 1: Here's why it gets me too.
Speaker 2: At Petland, the man browsed the ferret section of the store, So they've got a whole section dedicated to ferrets.
Speaker 1: I've never seen anything like that here in Cincinnati, but in Florida, anything goes.
Speaker 2: He browsed the section for quite some time before he left, holding quote the crowcherry of his pants to support the ferret. A Petland manager tried to chase him, but couldn't get the license plate number of the van he was driving now.
Speaker 1: So he made away with it. Wow, yeah, Well, how do you six hummerd bucks man? You gotta do what you gotta do sometimes, how do you?
Speaker 2: I got a couple of questions, how do you run with a fair in your pants? And once I thought about it. I'm thinking I'd run pretty fast if I had a ferret in my pants.
Speaker 1: I think I would run pretty fast. Weren't you worry about it? Kind of nibbling around a little bit?
Speaker 10: Ed?
Speaker 2: Well, Hey, look, you're in it for the long haul, buddy. You just gotta do what you gotta do. You gotta take your lumps man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how worth it is it for you to have that ferret at your house?
Speaker 2: Ask the question the six hundred and fifty buck ferret? Now? I want to talk to some ferret owners here in the very inner future. And see, I see, I thought therese were something that you had. It kind of adopted. You felt sorry for him. I didn't know they caused that much money.
Speaker 1: I had no idea. Yeah, I mean, what do you do with them? Is it kind of like a like a like a cat. Yeah, it just kind of runs around and it didn't do any tricks or anything. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe teach it how to do tricks, you know what I mean?
Speaker 9: Wow?
Speaker 2: With that, we check in with the News News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 7: News Traffic and Weather.
Speaker 8: News Radio seven hundred WLW Cincinnati.
Speaker 10: More slight relief for those with credit cards and ontoloads with the three point thirty report. I'm Sean Galbagher breaking Now the Fed, for a second straight time, has cut interest rates.
Speaker 11: The Federal Reserves decision to cut interest rates by a quarter percent comes amid a government shutdown that's delayed the release of key economic data. But FED Chair Jerome pal says.
Speaker 12: The public and private sector data that have remained available suggests that the outlook for employment and inflation has not changed much since our meeting in September.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's the labor market is gradually cooling and inflation remains slightly higher than normal. This is the FED second rate cut of the year. Mike Debaski, ABC News.
Speaker 13: Now the latest traffic and weather together.
Speaker 4: From the UC Traffic Center. With a stroke, every second counts and so does your team home to rapid life saving treatment and clinical trials. You see health is a clear choice for stroke care. Learn more at gcehealth dot com. Well Cruise are on the scene of an accident on seventy five. This is northbound before Donaldson with the right shoulder taken up. Police through there. Now two seventy five is cleared. That ramp to seventy one accident out of the way MLK between Eden and Highland and accident police are there and seventy five northbounded turfway crashes on the right shoulder and the crews are there getting that handled. A plan on slow downs as you make your way at two seventy five westbound at the Carroll Cropper Bridge as we have the sowdowns back to the Petersburg exit and on the seventy five southbound Lonalreig And Highway to Norwood Lateral about a fifteen minute drive. Traffic is sowing from Sheppard my Rich Rep News Radio seven hundred's.
Speaker 8: Forecast from the Train Heating and Cooling Weather Center on News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 10: For the rest of the day, highs topping out near fifty then rain continues tonight, the low down to forty six.
Speaker 13: We'll see rain for the first half of the day Thursday.
Speaker 10: It'll taper off by early afternoon a high of fifty one and right now RDAR showing widespread rain shower activity and our current temperature is coming in at forty six degrees. News a service of low t Center and Postman Law. Cincinnati Police today detailing what happened when an officer shot an armed man while they were conducting a welfare check Tuesday in Madisonville, intern police sheep at him. Henny said that it began when a VA nurse responded to a home on Hailey Avenue, just off Bramble to check on an eighty nine year old man.
Speaker 14: This VA nurse checks on this individual quarterly and always ensures that the day before this person is aware that they're coming that.
Speaker 10: Are spending an hour knocking on doors, also making phone calls with nobody inside picking up or coming to the door. So she called the man's daughter, who called nine one one to have an officer do a welfare check. When officers arrived, they would enter into the basement knock on a door that led to the rest of the house upstairs, with the man not opening the door. Police then went back outside to another door, which the man did open, and officers would spot a firearm.
Speaker 1: Hi er, okay for your firearm.
Speaker 10: Away, officer spending more than fifteen seconds giving the man commands to drop the gun. When he slowly moved to point the weapon, an officer would shoot him. He was taken to the hospital where he is stable. No charges have been filed at this time. It's also not known if this was an attempted suicide by cop or if the elderly man was just confused. United Dairy Farmer's announcing a new CEO with the retirement of Brad Linder, Michael Ahmed, will who has spent the last It's Michael Ahmed, who has spent the last five years as Chief operating Officer Guerrilla Glue. His tenure as CEO the Norwood based convenience store chain began on October twentieth seven.
Speaker 7: D WLW Sport.
Speaker 15: Is a Bengals update brought to you by Good Spirits and Party Town thirteen locations in northern Kentucky. Bengals quarterback Joe Flacco is a sprained ACL joint in his right shoulder. His status is unknown for Sunday head coach Zach Taylor.
Speaker 16: He wants to play. I hate speaking for him, but that's what he's told me. We'll have to work through the week to see if that's that's able to do that. It's a throwing shoulder, it's painful.
Speaker 15: Soccer FC Cincinnati defender Nick Haglan has been named twenty twenty five MLS Comeback Player of the Year. Haglan returned to action after a severe leg injury suffered in twenty twenty four baseball Game five of the World Series Tonight in La, Dodgers and Blue Jays tied to two. Bill Dennison seven underd WLW Sports Well a half.
Speaker 13: Hour treating on Wall Street.
Speaker 10: The Dow currently down one hundred and ninety six points, nan Stick up forty eight in the SMP down nineteen ourn. Next update is at four o'clock. I'm son Galbager. News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 17: Seven hundred WLW Cincinnati and iHeartRadio Station, make us the number one pre set on your car radio and on the three new and improved iHeartRadio Listen for all your music, radio and podcast free. Never sounded so good. News Radio seven hundred and WLW.
Speaker 1: Have you taken your family to dinner? Recently had been shocked by the price of that bill listen.
Speaker 2: Recent studies are saying there's almost forty trillion dollars.
Speaker 18: For strings and the dude in the back smoking, the smoking the reefer and wearing sunglasses.
Speaker 9: But John H. Wilson man, he was, he was, he was the dude man.
Speaker 1: Oh, no question about it.
Speaker 3: Oh God, guys, have a great day. Man.
Speaker 1: Thanks DoD that's good stuff. Yeah, that's another.
Speaker 2: Reason I wanted to become the bass player, because I was I was going to be the guy in the back smoking weed and like, okay, call me when you need me.
Speaker 1: It's one of those things because like on the surface, you say, okay, you know the bass player, you can't really hear it, but you can, but you can really hear it when it's not there, right, If that makes sense, you know, you instantly go like, you know, like a normal song, if you know, if you ask people like what was that bassline? Like there, like I don't know, just kind of part of the song. But if all of a sudden there isn't any bass, you immediately go, what the hell's wrong with this band?
Speaker 9: Like that?
Speaker 1: It doesn't sound right? Some a big hole. There's a big hole in this song. It's missing right.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what I read a thing not too long ago. Somebody said, yeah, listen to McCartney's bass line in something you know, there's some thing the George song, and listen to Paul's bassline, and that I was like that, that's a bass I never heard a song a million times. I've never even thought about it. Have a bass at it.
Speaker 1: I mean, you can go online and go on YouTube, I think, and and uh, you know they'll have songs that well, they'll take instruments out. You can say like whatever such and such song without minus the bass, and it's like, god, it's really really crazy. Now. The Doors, of course, the best band of all time, famously did not have a bass player. Well really until their last La Woman had a bass player on it. But before that, Raymond Zer played a bass organ with his left hand and then played like regular piano organ with his right hand, which is kind of cool.
Speaker 2: See that's a that's another thing. I'm not nearing ambidextrious enough to ever try to do something like that. I can completely can't do crap with my left hand. You know what I'm saying, Well, what happens if you break your right hand head? I mean, well, I'm gonna have to learn something at the at the ripe old age.
Speaker 1: Of sixty eight.
Speaker 2: To well, I think maybe if I was younger and I'd have tried more back then, but you know, you just kind of if you haven't used your your left hand in uh, you know, fifty years, then it just uh it says, well, I'll let the right hand do everything.
Speaker 1: There you go, that's uh in another news that this is an article that this is like right eye of a sci fi movie. Okay, this is in Mississippi, so close to Florida. So there's these they had these primates, right, monkeys that were used in scientific research okay at Tulane. Okay, in Tulane University's National and Biomedical Research Center. But they were they're traveling from one site to another, and again, right out of a sci fi movie, the truck overturns and boom, spill out onto the highway and eventually escape. Are all these monkeys that are carrying hepatitis, c herpes, and COVID. So they're just like running around the Deep South right now, yeah, I know. As yeah. As for the primates that fled, authorities are working with experts at the Mississippi Department of Wildlife and Fisheries to quote destroy their remain so they don't want these thing is getting out and you know, infecting everything else with with hepsi, herpes, and COVID. And that's a bad combination. If you have all three of those, I would think, no.
Speaker 2: Kid, Well, those poor monkeys, what are they just shoot them up with anything they can think of.
Speaker 1: I reckon, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I guess and test them, but it really is, dude, right out of a out of a fricking movie.
Speaker 1: Huh. If you've seen the movie Army of the Dead, it's one of those new I was, said the director. He's kind of like with those new hot directors. And a Batista's in and it zombie the one that said breakout in Las Vegas and Vegas. Yeah, yep, I saw that. And that's how this movie starts, right, they're transporting this one like zombie thing and there's a wreck on the highway and he escapes and then kind of founds this whole zombie colony in Vegas. It's actually a pretty good movie. It's it's super far fetched, of course, but uh yeah, man, that's how it starts, just like this.
Speaker 2: Well, let's get back to the rock for just a second. Rocky and talked to Russ and Marrimont. Hey Russ, what do you got buddy?
Speaker 19: Hi guys too for you Phil Lesh from the Dead he played a thump and six string bass, and then of course Jack Bruce from Cream.
Speaker 2: Thanks guys, see you buddy, Yeah, I was I've always been a Jack Bruce guy too.
Speaker 1: He was with Cream.
Speaker 2: I don't know him, Okay, Yeah, listen, listened to like Sunshine of Your Love or something like that. And obviously the guitars pretty damn fine. But well, every one of those guys. You and I've talked about Ginger Baker before the drummer he was nuttier of Fruitcake. But damn he was good.
Speaker 1: He was good. Well, of course, we have maybe one of the most famous bass players of all time, Bootsy Collins, right here in the Natty right.
Speaker 2: Right, and certainly I think in Rolling Stone he was certainly top ten, if not top five, of all time. That's pretty impressive, buddy.
Speaker 1: That's correct. Yeah.
Speaker 2: With that, we check in with traffic and weather. What is going on.
Speaker 4: From the UC Health Traffic Center. With a stroke, every second counts, and so does your team home to rapid life saving treatment and clinical trials. You see, health is a clear choice for stroke care. Learnmoreucehealth dot com. Seventy five north bound before Town left lane is blocked with an accident. Delays go back to Mitchell. It's about a fifteen minutes low down right now. Columbia Parkway at Delta is a crash as well, and cruis are there now. We do have the heavier traffic on seventy five southbound Ronald Reagan Highway to Norwood Lateral because of the construction. It's about a ten minute trip. And on seventy five southbound from Western Avenue to the Brench Spence Bridge. We're filling in northbound seventy one Smith Edwards to Ronald Reagan Cross County Highway getting heavy southbound seventy one MLK two of the Brench Spences about a seven minute drive as well two seventy five getting heavy eastbound seventy five to seventy one. My BRICKSHRINPAN News Radio seven hundred double d WELWS from.
Speaker 2: A seven hundred WLW weather center for tonight clouds rain, the low of fifty or forty two four tomorrow clouds rain and the high of fifty. It is fifty now News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 18: What is sports? Sports is anticipation. It's why the two weeks before the Super Bowl is so hard. It's why we sit in the car and listen to the bottom of the ninth when the bases loaded. It's why we get so worked up for rivalry games. Sports is anticipation. That's why we love it.
Speaker 20: Sports Talk with Lance McAllister tonight at six on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 13: This report is sponsored by Starbucks.
Speaker 21: The Pumpkin Spice Latte is back at Starbucks, handcrafted with their singers.
Speaker 2: Me talking to our old friend Miranda McGhee. She's one of the guys for Mega American Legacy Tours here in town, doing the ghost walk tours and such.
Speaker 1: She has seen a lot find that the haunted places all throughout the tri State. She's going to tell us all about the things she has seen. I love it, love it and g a cool gig.
Speaker 2: It is apparently because my my son knows her quite well, and they were talking and he said, that sounds like something you know I might like to do sometime is take the It would be a tour guide if you guys are looking for him. I love that stuff. She goes, well, uh, it's fun.
Speaker 1: He goes.
Speaker 2: She goes, we ushould take a tour, and he goes, oh, okay, that's cool. Me and my girlfriend go with you or something, and she goes, no, you don't want to go with me.
Speaker 1: I'm too fraid. I'm too afraid. Yeah, she's told us that before. She's you know, the Ghose tours, and I get freaked out suposed to like just eas sleep and breathe this stuff because you know, but it makes it all the better that she's, uh it wants to be, knows how scared.
Speaker 2: It wants to be on the the beer cellar beat right right?
Speaker 1: In another news that what's one thing that I absolutely love? World records? Yes, and here we are. It's that time of year. It's fall, Halloween around the corner, and two brothers have just set a Guinness World Record for the heaviest pumpkin. Okay, and these folks are in where they at, They're in England somewhere, and the the pumpkin that they have grown, they set the world record two nineteen pounds.
Speaker 13: Damn.
Speaker 1: Crazy big right now. And of course went down a rabbit hole with this. And there's like a belief in the the pumpkin growing community. If there's no limits on how big a pumpkin can grow. It's not like, you know, like a sunflower, for instance, it's only going to get so big, right, But a pumpkin, you know, they can they can keep get getting bigger and bigger. And the evidence of that is you go back ten years ago and a two thousand pound pumpkin was like, that's like as big as it gets, right, That's that was the biggest ones. And now the Holy Grail, of course, is trying to find one that is three thousand pounds. These guys are what about you know, lid just shy of two hundred pounds off of that. They also said the record, Yeah good.
Speaker 2: No, I was going to say, I don't know how you'd tend to something like that, but go ahead, we'll talk about it.
Speaker 1: Well, I will tell you because again I went down the rabbit hole. And obviously it's it's like anything, it starts with the seed, and you can't just go get a normal pumpkin seed and expect to grow a pumpkin that's you know, hundreds and hundreds of pounds, if not thousands of pounds. But outside of that, it is after you get the right seed that's been you know, it's been modified to grow big, and it's actually like a form of squash. And after that it's just kind of selecting the right place in the right fertile ground and having enough space and watering it, and then you got to prune the vines and and all that. But I mean, these guys have been doing this for decades and they this is like their thing. This thing is I mean it's the size of like a like a bison, right, I mean over a ton. I mean good night, I don't well, giant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when we go and get into how do you transport the damn thing? You got to get a rigular.
Speaker 1: And well you can see this picture I have here, I mean, this is all it's. Yeah, see it's on a It takes a forklift. It's a palette and a forklift to wheel this thing around. But I mean that'll be wild. I mean, here a couple of years that we'll be talking about a three thousand pound pumpkin. And I feel like we've we've talked about this before, and I feel like we had a caller call in and talk with that that did this or kind of knows the ins and outs and doing it. If you're listening right now, call the show just how you go about growing these world record size pumpkins, because yeah, it's uh pretty cool.
Speaker 9: These.
Speaker 1: By the way, these same guys also set the record for the biggest circumference of a of a pumpkin, So there you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember when when you first brought that up, I was thinking we did talk to somebody from around here describing how you do that stuff, and it is pretty involved. I mean, it's like shading it sometime from the hot sun and just keep them maintaining the.
Speaker 1: Other thing you gotta do and you gotta I think this is with all pumpkins, so I'm not mistaken. You farmers out there would would be able to correct me. But I think you gotta, like, you gotta rotate them around because if they just lay on in the same spot, they get really flat. So you gotta kind of roll them, and you know that that sort of thing. I've actually seen people take like a mold and kind of grow the pumpkin inside the mold, and you can get a pumpkin that has like a whatever empire face or something, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Oh, I've seen those guys, yeah, you know on TV.
Speaker 1: And it's like a like a like a block, you know, or like a square kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they but yeah, I guess you would put in a mold or something. But but those people who carve pumpkins and you see them on TV and it looks exactly like they can make it look like you or me or you know, whoever the hell they can trump or something like that or whatever you wanted to take.
Speaker 1: Yeah, trump pumpkin. But I don't know how you learn.
Speaker 2: How to do that. Man, that's I have to say. That's a great talent. But I wouldn't begin to know how to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just it's just, you know, it's just cool. It's just to see the things people are into. And again, these guys have been doing this for decades and decades. They're two brothers and they you know, they know how to do it. And I'm not sure what kind of didn't say what kind of prize money is in this thing? Like, I mean, you're talking like a lot of time and resources and dedication. It should at least be a fifty thousand other or something. Shouldn there.
Speaker 2: Well, you get a hell of a lot of punk and pie if nothing else, Buddy.
Speaker 1: Yes, Yes, Pop and Buza feed the whole village with that.
Speaker 2: We take in with the news news radios of one hundred WLW.
Speaker 8: News Traffic and Weather News Radio seven hundred WLW Cincinnati.
Speaker 22: A cut in interest rates, but looks like that's all we get for twenty twenty five. This is the four o'clock report. I'm Matt Reeese breaking.
Speaker 12: Now, conditions in the labor market appeared to be gradually cooling, and inflation remains somewhat elevated.
Speaker 22: Man's a Chairman of the Federal Reserve, Jerome Paul on the news about interest rates in support.
Speaker 12: Of our goals and in light of the balance of risks to employment and inflation. Today the Federal Open Market Committee decided to lower our policy interest rate by a quarter percentage point.
Speaker 22: Which means borrowing money will be a little bit cheaper. The FED cutting it down a quarter of a point.
Speaker 7: This was idly expected.
Speaker 23: What it's going to do is make borrowing costs for consumers and businesses a little less expensive. By that, I mean your credit card interest rate, your auto loan interest rate may come down a little bit because of this. This rate is not directly tied to mortgage rates, though we have seen mortgage rates come down in anticipation of the FED cutting rates.
Speaker 22: And ABC's Alexis christoffers second rate cut this year. Will there be another before twenty twenty six? Chairman Poul says probably not. Says a further reduction of the policy rate in December is not a fore gone conclusion, according to Paul. In fact, far from it. We'll have reaction on Wall Street a little bit chilly. Those numbers coming up in.
Speaker 1: Just a moment.
Speaker 22: First, on this rainy afternoon, we have the latest on traffic and weather together from the.
Speaker 4: UC Health Traffic Center. With this stroke every second counts, and so does your team home to rapid life saving treatment and clinical trials. You see health is the clear joy for strokecare. Learn more MADU seehealth dot com. Well on seventy five northbound before town left lane box with an accident, toulays to seventy four Columbia Parkway at delta. We have the crash here with a cruise on the scene. Southbound seventy five Broad Reagan highwayd to northward lateral about an eight minute trip and delays to Shepherd. On the Carrol Cropper Bridge to seventy five westbound, we have south hewns back to the Petersburg exit southbound. We're sold back to US fifty in Indiana. Also on the seventy five, watch for heavier pocket southbound from the viaduct to the Brent Spence Bridge northbound seventy one Smith Edwards to fight for about a ten minute trip. I'm rich REMP News Radio seven hundred devil w Now.
Speaker 24: The latest forecast from the No Feared Dentist Weather Center Advanced dentistry, the thought of the dentist making you a nervous wreck.
Speaker 6: We're here for you, No Fear Dentist dot Com. This afternoon, rain breezy, high fifty one. Rain continues tonight down to forty five. Rain continues tomorrow, windy in a high fifty Tomorrow night down to thirty nine as rain comes to an end. Mostly Sunday on Friday and fifty four. Friday night partly clouding, no rain. Friday night, low thirty nine, partly sunny. Saturday, fifty five for the high forty seven degrees our temperature, and we have light rain over most of the Cincinnati area. And eighty nine year old Madisonville man recovering in the hospital he was shot by a Cincinnati police officer at his home yesterday. That shooting occurred during a welfare check after a VA nurse who checks in on him quarterly, could not make contact with the elderly man. When police arrived finally did make contact, elderly man showed a gun.
Speaker 25: Hi, Arthur, he's for your fire. Hoorm away.
Speaker 22: Police fired upon him after multiple commands dropped the gun, Adam Henney, the interim Cincinnati Police Chief, during a news conference this afternoon.
Speaker 14: At this time, there has not been any charges filed. We are not done with the investigation and interview in everyone. Once that is concluded, that information will be presented at a prosecutor in a city solicitor.
Speaker 22: The elderly man shot maleg in stable condition. Latest on the double murder suicide involving people who worked at Wright Patterson Air Force Base. Lots of questions remain. Here's what we know so far from Sandy Collins.
Speaker 21: Polease say, thirty four year old Jacob Pritchard shot himself early Saturday in the West Milton Municipal parking lot, leaving his wife, thirty three year old Jamie Pritchard dead in the trunk. Investigators later found that he had earlier killed First Lieutenant Jamie Gustatus in her Green County condo. All three worked at Right pat The Pritchards were civilians. Right pat officials say they are investigating and providing support to all those affected. I'm Sandy con News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 22: Don Wall Street toward the close cutting interest rates no big deal to traders. The down down one hundred and ten point says P five hundred off about four points nastack up by ninety two four h six Sam We check in now with Bill Dennison.
Speaker 8: Seven one hundred WLW Sport is a Bengals update brought to you by Good Spirits and Party Town, thirteen locations.
Speaker 1: In northern Kentucky.
Speaker 15: Bengals quarterback Joe Flacco has a sprained ACL joint in his right shoulder. His status is unknown for Sunday head coach Zach Taylor.
Speaker 16: He wants to play. I hate speaking for him, but that's what he's told me. We'll have to work through the week to see if that's that's able to do that. It's a throwing shoulder, it's painful.
Speaker 15: Soccer FC Cincinnati defender Nick Haglan has been named twenty twenty five MLS Comeback Player of the Year. Haglan returned to action after a severe leg injury suffered in twenty twenty four Baseball Game five of the World Series Tonight in LA Dodgers and Blue Jays tied to two. Bill Dennison seven hundred W you Sports.
Speaker 22: Next update coming up at four point thirty matt Reee News Radio seven hundred WY double.
Speaker 8: This report is sponsored by Ohio Secretary of State.
Speaker 18: Ohio's election is November fourth, and you have three convenient ways to vote.
Speaker 7: It's to win.
Speaker 8: One thousand dollars entered this nationwide keyword on our website.
Speaker 13: Cash.
Speaker 7: That's cash enter it now.
Speaker 2: Yes, Rocket is Halloween week?
Speaker 1: What are you going out here this year?
Speaker 11: Ed?
Speaker 1: You're going with the slutty bartender outfit again. I'm going to go slutty nurse this year and that works out for me. Switch you know?
Speaker 26: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Man? Why not? You know it's worth in the past. How about you? Slutty Fireman? Slutty Fireman isn't one this year? I get well, Bo would go out by himself. He's old enough to go by himself. But do you take the little guys out someplace? Yeah, we'll find somewhere Iron go. Do you go with them? Or does uh? Does Kelly go with I feel like I thought last year I was out of town. I had a game or something, and so I can't. Hey, whatever, we'll figure it out.
Speaker 2: You know what you need to do is take them on a ghost tour, and I have just there you go, and I have just the person for you, all right. It is our guest from American Legacy Tours. And of course we're talking about the ghost tours they have going on right now and the stuff she is seeing along the way on said ghost tours. She is our good friend, Miranda Magee. Miranda, always our pleasure.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad you called. I was working on my slutty kangaroo costume. Sorry, this is great timing, guys, So maybe we should all meet up together.
Speaker 13: Slutty floody.
Speaker 3: Sludykinger. It's got a really good big pouch.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you that that sounds like the beginning of a really good job.
Speaker 3: I've gone too far. I've gone too far, guys.
Speaker 1: Oh, you're on the Eddie and Rocky Show. You've not gone too far.
Speaker 2: So Miranda, I'm looking at your guys's schedule here, and it looks as though you have just a couple of tours for like for Tomorrow night and on Holloween night, just a couple, yeah.
Speaker 3: And and on Saturday as well, November first. But they are selling out like crazy. So if you want to get in now is the time, which is great for us because everybody the spirits have been incredibly active this season. I'm so glad you texted me last night, Eddie, to be like, hey, do you want to talk about it? Because my husband won't listen to my ghost stories anymore. He's like, oh my gosh, just November come already. And I'm like, but wait, this happens. He's a huge skeptic, so he doesn't believe any of it. And I'm like, but then, okay, you guys get this, Eddie, Rocky are right. So I took him down to the tunnels where we go for our Nightmare on Elm Street tour because somebody proposed down there and they wanted to have me hide the ring. I don't know, they're like history buff. We get down into the tunnels, just the two of us, and he started to look a little nervous. He was like, oh, it is kind of spooky down here. That's my that's my Lexington accent here from Lexington and by the way, yeah.
Speaker 19: Yeah, it's like good.
Speaker 3: He's like, oh, it's just kind of freaky, and he were getting increasingly freaked out while I'm trying to work out way to hide this string. And finally he just yelled out, just yelled to the tunnels. He said, well, y'all can't hurt me because because Jesus, he just yelled out, Jesus solid arguments.
Speaker 2: As I went down, does Jesus.
Speaker 3: Jesus got back?
Speaker 1: He got me?
Speaker 3: I thought it anyway, So that's how I was glad. He's like, I'm glad you talking to Edie and Rocky, so I don't have to listen to it anymore.
Speaker 2: Okay, So well let's we We talked to you over the last couple of years, and every year you've got stories.
Speaker 1: What are some of the latest?
Speaker 3: So I don't know if I ever talked to you guys, because I just saw this the other day at the Campbell County Courthouse. Have you guys ever been there? I mean, Rocky, you must have been there a few times, right the courthouse.
Speaker 1: I haven't been in trouble with the laws. That's it's the last time you went on a slutty fire about out there. Yeah, it was a big hit in the case, That's.
Speaker 9: What I thought.
Speaker 3: So the Campbell County Courthouse, which by the way, was built between eighteen eighty three and eighteen eighty four for a whopping one thousand dollars. Wow, I know inflation right. By the way, you guys, my friends hate that I have this job. We're like walking down the street and I'm like, you know in eighteen fifty They're like, oh my gosh, stop it. Anyway, So the courthouse, that was the last execution that was done there was for the murderers of Pearl Brian. Do you guys remember Pearl Brian. Have you heard about her?
Speaker 16: No?
Speaker 1: I don't think so.
Speaker 3: Okay, it may start sounding familiar. It made pretty massive news around here in the eighteen hundreds, but it's still talked about today. She was a young lady in the late eighteen hundreds eighteen ninety six. She was twenty two years old from Indiana, and a guy from Cincinnati, Scott Jackson, decapitated her because she got pregnant out of wedlock and he didn't want to have to deal with the baby, so he decapitated her while she was still alive. And it's rumored the head was never found, and it's rumored to be under where Bobby Mackie's used to be, which is why Bobby Mackie's was felt wanted over the other side of the river. Yeah, sure, And anyway, so they get these guys, Scott Jackson and Alonzo Walling. They drugged her with cocaine and then decapitated her in Fort Thomas and left the body but took the head and they took it like. Once they decapitated her, they put her head in a bag and then went to a pub and they gave the bag to the bartender to take care of while they were drinking. And the bartender was like, oh, this is heavy. Is there a bowling ball in here? And Scott Jackson, the guy that murdered, he just smiled. He was like yes. And then when they were hanged on the lawn right in front of Newport, in front of Campbell County Courthouse, the ropes were not measured correctly, so instead of jumping and having their necks broken, they slowly strangled to death over a few minutes, which I call karma. But because of that through aut campbellt County Courthouse the other day, there's a man that stands in the bell tower and we think that's Scott Jackson still because he died in a slow way, that his spirit is still hanging around as it should be because he did a really terrible thing.
Speaker 2: Yes, Now, what do you when you see something like that? Are you just seeing a shadowy figure or is there a face attached to it?
Speaker 9: Or what it was?
Speaker 3: When I saw him, we were there sort of late at night training on a tour and I looked up and I just saw like it looked like there was a man in the bell tower. And I looked up and I turned to my fellow guy, Laura. I was like, hey, there's a guy up there. And then we looked back and he wasn't there, and She's like, no one's ever in the Bell Tower. You must have seen the ghosts of Scott Jackson. Wow.
Speaker 2: Now wow.
Speaker 1: So and this is like, I mean, is this a pretty well known one or is this a little bit more obscure? I guess.
Speaker 3: Pearl Brian made like nationwide news in the eighteen hundreds, and people just know because Bobby Mackie's used to like really sort of cash in and on that story because they never did find her head, and there was rumors that there was a satanic cult in the basement of Bobby Mackie's and so, and they apparently brought the head there as an offering to their dark lord. I know, anyway, Bobby Mackie's isn't there anymore.
Speaker 2: But let me ask you that because that's a we'd years ago on the Boarding show. We spent the well, we had our producers spend the night in there, and uh it just so happens that a couple of day other guys from the show stayed there and hid in the uh in the attic or something, and they were they were putting, they were making noise and banging on pipes and stuff, and that poor guy had wet himself so hard by the time we got there in the morning he could barely talk.
Speaker 1: But I'm not kidding you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and uh well and well you well, you know this story Marianda, that wasn't there always like a rose scented perfume or something connected with her appearance or I forget what it was. But they they sprayed like you know, some of the like room deodorizer stuff with the floral scent to it. And He's like, I smelled the flowers. I smelled the flowers.
Speaker 1: I heard the noise.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: Well, you know that was a funny.
Speaker 3: That you started to say we spent the night there. Then you're like, no, after we didn't.
Speaker 1: Go we just so.
Speaker 2: So now you've talked before about having actual physical contacts with these things.
Speaker 1: Has anything like that happened here lately?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So on our Ultimate Queen City Haunted Tour, which is really cool, we go through, like you know, you hear the dark history of Washington Park, which you gentlemen know about that it used to be three separate cemeteries and half the park has never been dug up. So there's still heaps of bodies in Washington Park, which is exactly why the dog park is paved over because they don't want the little puppas digging around like coming up with a femur.
Speaker 1: Wow, I didn't notice.
Speaker 9: That.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the children's playground as all. There's heaps of bodies under the children's playground as well. So the record was destroyed through the fires we've had at City Hall and the courthouse, So nobody knew about the bodies until twenty eleven when they did the forty eight million dollar renovation and dug out the underground parking garage. Then they found all the bodies.
Speaker 1: Now, how many how many do you think or how many do they say that there are down there? Would they guess?
Speaker 12: So?
Speaker 3: Down the north end the part they dug out for the underground parking garage, they found seventy three graves because at the time, in eighteen sixty, they used to be three separate cemeteries. This is hilarious, you guys. In the eighteen sixties they decided they wanted to do something nice over the rhine because it was three separate cemeteries. They're like, you know what, let's change this into a park. So they put out a citywide announcement saying, Hey, if you have people buried here, can you come get them? Because they're trying to build a park.
Speaker 6: I know, right.
Speaker 1: I was like, are a major inconvenience here?
Speaker 26: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What a nuisance?
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 3: I was really upset when the metro went up by like ten percent. I was like, two dollars twenty to ride the metro. Now, I imagine going to be asked to pick up like your relatives is probably a bigger ask. So I had to say about that perspective. I was like, Okay, I can get twenty cents. I don't have to go dig up great great uncle George. So they put out a city wine announcement saying, yeah, can you come get your relative. A few people did, but a lot of people were like, no, we're not doing that. So then the city, because it was eighteen sixty, they just plucked out the headstones, put three feet of dirt on top, and cold.
Speaker 9: It a day.
Speaker 3: Because it was eighteen sixty, They're like, who's gonna know?
Speaker 9: Wow, And this is that.
Speaker 3: You don't know until you know. Look. And then twenty eleven is when we found that out that all those buddies there. So we found seventy three graves in the north end. The South end which hasn't been dug up. We've used ground penetrating radar. There are so many bodies from the South end. So you know those beautiful lawns. Somebody on my tour the other day we walked into Washington Park. She said, Oh my gosh, I got married right on these lawnes and I had to do it. I was like, oh, people were dying to go to that wedding. Do you guys like that joke? Yeah? Perfect, thank you.
Speaker 1: So that's it's so funny, by the way, Yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 7: I'm sorry, No, what's funny by the way.
Speaker 3: Sorry, yeah, no, I.
Speaker 1: Was just saying like we think that, like, oh, and you know, back in the day things were, you know, a little more pure and refined. No, just just put more dirt over these bodies here. No one cares, you know, or dig them up, whatever doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: It was the worst back then, and the medical colleges at the times eighteen hundred, the only bodies they could get to practice on the medical students were from executed prisoners. It was taboo to donate your body to science, and so Ohio Medical College did an unprecedented thing. They were located on Vine Street. They started saying, hey, if you give us a body, because obviously they were desperate for bodies. They're like, if you give us the body, we will pay you one hundred and twenty five dollars, no questions asked. So two things we hear incredibly popular and Cincinnati murder and grave robbing. The Ohio Medical College became known as the Ohio Murder College because they had so many bodies that started selling them to different universities like the University of Michigan. Uh and then they had to rebrand, so now they're the College of Medicine at the University of Cincinnati.
Speaker 13: So go back caps.
Speaker 1: Well, well, if you know this story, I mean tied to that though, is you know Bill Cunningham, right of course, uh noon to three. One of his ancestors, Old Cunney, was a grave robber in Cincinnati. This is true, honest to god facts. Ask him about it and he'll tell you. We'll probably have to we're going to talk to him at five o'clock then we have to ask him to go through all this. But yeah, he was. He was a grave robber for that very reason. It was profitable, so.
Speaker 3: He was a very rich man. I can't we were making a dollar twenty five a day and one hundred and twenty five dollars to a body.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, one hundred and twenty five dollars a body that went a long way back then, man, huge, Yeah he did.
Speaker 3: It's about I think it's about fifty seen hundred dollars today, but to go way back. Sorry, you guys asked me if i'd had the experiences recently on that tour Queen City Haunted. Not only do we go through Washing Park, but we go into the Symphony Hotel. Have you guys been to the Symphony Hotel right by Music Hall.
Speaker 1: I've seen it, but I have never been.
Speaker 3: I have not. That's because you guys probably give it a wide berth. You're like, oh, it feels creepy. You should send your producers in there. Yeah the night, Yeah, tell him to spend the night in the Mozart room. So the Symphony Hotel back in the nineteen forties was called the Clyde Hotel, which you could rent a room for just a couple of hours. And there was a lady of the night. We'll call her Monica. Her name is actually Monica, but we'll call her a lady of the night. But you know what she kind of did for work, And in the Mozart room she was murdered by a client who was unsatisfied, and then he rolled her in the carpet and stuffed her under the bed. And she is very active in that room. The other week, I had a couple on the tour. The boyfriend obviously didn't want to be there. He'd been like dragged there and we left the motes that room and he's like, Miranda, I just had something really weird happened. I thought my girlfriend put her arm around my waist, but then I looked at her and she was like on the other side of the room. So Monica still likes to flirt with the men. And if you stay the night in the room, as your producer will obviously do, if you're laying alone in the bed, you'll feel the bed settle next to you as if somebody has gotten into the bed with you, and the sheets get flipped up and people get their feet tickled. So we think it's Monica still doing her job.
Speaker 2: Wow, that sounds like my single days. The With that, Miranda, we will, we will let you go. People want to find out more about these ghost tours, where can they go?
Speaker 3: Just to American Legacy tours dot com. I would encourage them to book soon because we are filling up to this last weekend appointed season. And Eddie, Now, I'm just thinking about your single days and your feet being tickled, so I guess you guys can talk.
Speaker 1: Could have been a ghost scudos. I don't know what was going on. It doesn't matter, it doesn't matter. I'm Maranda. Thanks so much, all right, I can't wait.
Speaker 3: To see you guys in floody costumes out together.
Speaker 1: It'd be great.
Speaker 2: Get your get your kangaroo together and kangaroo and ready off we go.
Speaker 3: I love it all right?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Thanks?
Speaker 2: With that, we check in with traffic, kid Weather, What's going on.
Speaker 4: Wow from the u SEE Health Traffic Center with a with a Strokevy second counts and SODA's your team homing a rapid life saving treatment and clinical trials. We see health is a clear choice for stroke care. Learn more u see health dot Com. Seventy one southbound two seventy five crash on their shoulder seventy five north before town. The accident is cleared. We do have Cleff Pike between right around it runs Nakel Road. It's an accident that has traffic being directed bomb that's seventy five southbound from the Viaduct to the Brent Stenss Brent Spence is about a ten minute trip. Rick Shrafties Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: The forecast from a seven hundred WLW weather center for tonight clouds rain, the low of fifty or forty two four tomorrow cloud's rain and the high of fifty. It is fifty now News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 8: Is it true Tom Brenneman names his pants and his favorite is called Percy?
Speaker 7: That is not true?
Speaker 8: Is it true that as a child Tom Brenneman hit under the covers and listen to the radio and he's incredible. Hulk jammies. Well, that's one of those yes and those sort of things. It's a true Tom Brenneman buss buns to start your day, right, That's true and I'm proud of it. Join me for the latest news traffic from Chuck Ingram, weather from Jennifer Ketchmark, plenty of laughs, and a whole lot more Tom Brenneman tomorrow morning at five am on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: This report is sponsored by our American Stories.
Speaker 27: This is Leehabe post of our Americans Stories. On our next episode, we'll share the story of one of the most legendary fights.
Speaker 2: Talk to him about it, said Grave Grave Robin Grandpa.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 1: We just had Randon McGee on with American Legacy Tours and she was talking about all the well the bodies that are still buried underneath Washington Park and that kind of led to the grave robbering topic, and we're like, well, we know a family member of maybe one of the most infamous grave robbers in Cincinnati history, William Cunningham aka whole Cuney. Okay, so we're gonna have to we have to have Willie refresh us on his uh his tech glacious history. Yeah, and other news that here. Did you know that Japan has bears? Did you know that? I did not know. I did not know either, But apparently like they have like a lot of bears, all right, Again, these are the things that maybe only interest me. Uh, there's something no, not at all be So there's only was there two hundred ish countries in the world, right where only sixty countries on the planet have bears. Japan is one of them, all right, has upwards of sixty thousand bears estimates, forty four thousand black bears and twelve thousand of the brown bears. Those are the ones you gotta worry about, the brown bears anyway, I guess. Apparently there's like an unprecedented spike in bear attacks in Japan. The resulted in a record high annual death toll, why injury more than one hundred people this year alone. So long story short, the Yeah, the the military right has has has been called out to the Ministry of Defense of Japan has been called out to go and just these bears and kill them because they're causing a big nuisance. Who knew.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm surprised that down in the Gatlinburg area down in the Smokies that you don't hear more about bear attacks because people are so freaking stupid, you know, they.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, I'm just selfie by the bear.
Speaker 2: And yeah, and guess what I don't like the goons that go to Yellowstone and think they can walk up and pet a bison. Guess what the are wild animals?
Speaker 1: You idiot? Yeah, you idiot, colossal idiot. But yeah, you know it's it's that time of year, hibernation is coming around. I guess they get a little little cranky around there and a little more active. So yeah, bringing the army guns, the whole deal, get rid of them.
Speaker 2: See, it is that time of year when you start thinking. When I lived in the old place, we had those woods in our backyard. When you have woods all around your house, to see how active the squirrels get. Man, when they're out there, it's all man. We had a little right next to our driveway and around the back of our house that came back that's where you entered the garage, and there was a little, i don't know, i'll say eight by eight little dirt patch there between the deck and the driveway, And so we just put little shrubs and stuff and flowers in there. And dude, in the springtime, you know, and I'd go out there and just clean up whatever. And they're every in that little eight by eight patch. I guarantee you. They were always ten or twelve little mounds. And you dig down in there a couple of inches and sure enough there was a walnut or an acorn or some such that they were they were burying for later on.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, at my house, man, Like, if you go down my driveway, it's like, I mean, and this is you know, before you get to the moat and the dragon and all that, but if you get after you get past that, it's like the squirrels play Russian roulette. Like they dart across the driveway. I mean like four and five of them, I mean from the beginning to the end, and it's you know, sometimes you know, you hit one, it's the worst thing ever. But yeah, those things are running all over the place. Well, that was a lot of you know, walnuts and stuff with a lot of water trees. So there's all a million of them round.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, it is amazing how many times you're driving along and a squirrel darts out in front of you and you could swear there is absolutely no way in hell you miss that thing, no way, right, And sure then you look into your rear view he's gone.
Speaker 1: Yeah boom, he's gone yeah. Yeah. I don't know how they do it, but it's like, yeah, they run toward the car, but then somehow, Yeah, they're just super nimble obviously and figure out a way to get out of it. But a bear not as much. Have you hit a bear with your car, it's going to do a little damage.
Speaker 2: Well, we had a story yesterday where the this was the Zimbabwe Jason and I were talking about it and some people driving down the highway you know, you're in Africa. Guess what they ran into an elephant. They hits this elephant in the butt. And you know, a car hits an elephant. All it did was pissed the elephant off, and the elephant turns around and attacks the car and killed a guy.
Speaker 1: Wow. Now, if you have you seen a bear like in the wild, I have not. I have not, you know, and I got you know, I'm an outdoorsy guy who you know, gone on backpacking trips, the whole deal. I've never seen a bear not at the zoo, and I've seen them.
Speaker 2: I saw a couple of them done in Tennessee, and I saw a couple in California. As a matter of fact, we were hiking up there in the mountains around Tahoe and.
Speaker 1: We were on a trail.
Speaker 2: But I heard, I could hear something behind us, and it's just me in deb and and I kind of look back, and I don't know if I don't think, I don't know he was stalking us or not. But this bear was kind of keeping his distance, but he was walking. He was pacing us, but he was about yeah, twenty five thirty thirty yards off to one side and about that far behind us. But I could see him through the trees and he was walking at our pace. And I'm like, we should probably pick up our pace. And uh, She's like why. I was like, just keep moving.
Speaker 1: He just keep moving. Yeah, I don't want to get get him panicked, you know, just keep going.
Speaker 2: Hopefully some mountain bike guys are going to come along so he has something else to follow.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I've told the story of form and listen to podcasts, and I guess one like just a huge outdoor guy always said if you see a brown bear and it's yards from you and it's running at you. You're dead, it's over. You know, that's just how fast those things. I saw a video the other day of a bear like climbing up like a mountain, the things like, you know, this thing's you know, five hundred plus pounds just shooting up this thing like a like a gazelle.
Speaker 2: Well that's the thing though, we as humans, basically our own people always say play dead. That kind of is your only option. You can't fight the thing, and if you do try to climb a tree right quick, they can climb it three times faster than you can.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I just don't know if in that moment I could play dead. It's how you're giving up. But you know it's likely the best scenario, but I don't know. Well, hopefully I'll never have some worry about that.
Speaker 2: I'd rather try to play dead than to keep try to run away from it even though I know I can't, and just and just make it mad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like stay there. I mean, somebody bats your a little bit and I'll leave. But you're pissing me off.
Speaker 2: Now, See that's the you've never seen blazing saddles. But that's one of the best lines in there. The Mango guy. He's the big beast guy that comes into town to get the sheriff, and the sheriff's talking to his buddy, the gunfighter, and he goes, well, I guess I just shoot him, and then the other guy goes, we don't want to shoot him, you just make him mad. In other news Rock, this happened in Tejas. These cops were out on a mounted patrol, just kind of doing their routine thing. They stopped a guy who was walking in the street rather than on the sidewalk. The officers thought the forty two year old fella, Joseph Ramirez, was acting suspiciously and when they asked to check his pockets, he said no. Then one of the cops said, well, this horse, you know, is a narcotic smelling horse, And with that, the guy took off running. Yeah, they're wrong kind so uh and the cops said, well, he took it seriously and.
Speaker 1: The race was on.
Speaker 2: They didn't take it, didn't take long to catch him, and blah blah blah, they charged him.
Speaker 1: And his button.
Speaker 2: The other cops said, chasing bad guys is part of the fun in it for us. So when you get to chase down a bad guy and a horse and not even get tired, it's a good day. So that would be fun if you you know, well, don't they let him last on them? You know, like in the rodeo or something. You know what I'm saying, lasso a bear the horse.
Speaker 1: Oh no, a criminal?
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yeah, just like in the movies. You know, you're running behind them and get them by the by the feet, string them up.
Speaker 1: Everybody's like dreamed of being able to do that. I've never tried it, but would like to throw the old lass around some something. I try to Kelly, I just.
Speaker 2: Get over here, you know. That's that's what you do. That's see, that's what they like. That's he That's about what we'd use our powers for. If we could do a lot of things, we'd always use it on our wives.
Speaker 1: That's right. You have all the limitless possibilities. We know we're gonna use our lass set through on our wives and piss them off. A s great plan.
Speaker 2: It's fun though. With that, we check in with traffic and weather, what's going.
Speaker 4: On the you see health traffic center with a stroke, every second counts, and so does your team home to rapid life saving treatment and clinical trials. You see Health Clear Choice for stroke care learn more, and you see health dot Com. Traffic on seventy five is sewing between the viaduct and the Brunch Spence Bridge on the southbound side with a ten minute trip. And we've got cloff Pike between Bruns and Nagel with the traffic being directed around an accident. Seeing if you can't just boyd that is the police are getting that cleaned up. A seventy five south bound Ronaldwig and Highway to Norwood lateral about a ten minute drive through the roadwork. We do have accidents Hopple before seventy five and a crash with again traffic being directed around Harrison westbound Queen City to Tremont and Montgomery at Plainfield and Panic at Laidlaw. We picked up a crash as well and writing in both directions between Panic and Victory Way is now shut down due to an accident. My bricks Remp News Radio seven hundred w WELW.
Speaker 2: The forecast from a seven hundred WLW weather center for tonight clouds, rain, the low of fifty or forty two four Tomorrow, clouds rain and the high of fifty. It is fifty now News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 8: Rising downtown violence and political pressure have catalyzed the chaos regarding the Cincinnati Police chief. While the interim chief steadies the ship, community leaders turned to a tried and true veteran to become police chief permanently or will a fresh face rise from within the ranks to restore calm and credibility as speculation is swirling, Keep it here for the latest on seven hundred W LJW.
Speaker 1: This report is sponsored by Our American Stories.
Speaker 27: This is Leehavi, host of our American Stories. On our next episode, Mattie coming up for the top of the hour news.
Speaker 2: We're gonna be talking to Willy for Wednesdays with Willie talking about is a great great Grandpa Oldcunny the grave Robber.
Speaker 1: The grave robber, one of the most notorious villains in Cincinnati history.
Speaker 2: But that's after the news right now, though, Let's get to the phone and talk to Dirk and Morrow. Dirk quick, we're just talking about bears and whether or not you can fight a bear. Sir, you have actually wrestled a bear? Is that correct?
Speaker 26: Ellas I was a naive I than twenty five year old. It had been you know, forty years ago up in Indianapolis as the Boat and Travel show, and you probably can't even do it nowadays. And you kind of stirred a repressed memory on me because I tried to forget about how this bear had its way with me.
Speaker 9: But you know, there's a group of us up there.
Speaker 26: Running the boost for the show and you're up here for ten days, and a couple of them said, well, you know, who would wrestle that bear? And this big old qulkin bear, he's got his muzzle on, so I guess he doesn't bite you. I don't remember what they did about the claws, but I.
Speaker 9: Said, well, I had a beer too.
Speaker 26: I said, I'll wrestle that bear and probably cost me five bucks to boot. But I get out there and the guy's like, okay, you're ready to go. And I'm six foot, you know, two hundred pounds played football, and I think, I, you know, I'm going to hold my own against this beer.
Speaker 1: I got to show him.
Speaker 26: That bear came up, but it shook paus on my shoulders and just like it flicked me onto the ground, rolled me over, got on my back. You've heard of a bear hug before. Well he mounted me, and so now I'm not I'm not only I'm on the ground with this bear with a muzzle right up against my face, with drool rolling down onto me, the smell of a bear that probably hasn't showered in a lifetime, and I'm thinking I got to get out of this situation. Well, he pretty quickly got me down, flipped over, and and I tapped out. You know, I don't really recall exactly how the guy pulled him off, you know, like, come on, Bobo, you know you've had your way with this guy, and I mean ever since then, you know, I think about that and how just the pure strength of that bear and a man just wouldn't stand a chance, you know, particularly in the wild without a muzzle, without unsharpened claws or whatever that this bear had. And and you know, it's been forty years and he hasn't written me, hasn't called me that that bear.
Speaker 1: That's a bold move, because I mean it's an animal. You don't know what that thing's gonna do or how strong it is.
Speaker 26: And you just sing, you know, whatever the ring was all about, I don't know, just to keep you from immediately running away. I got a couple of beers out of it afterwards, and I took a good shower.
Speaker 1: I think the bear did too, thankfully. Well, you've done something I've I've not done. That's quite an experience. I commend you. Thanks, buddy.
Speaker 26: You probably can't do it nowadays that Peter would stop being a hard peat probably, thanks buddy.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I remember going, you know, at the carnivals and stuff like that. They had bear bear wrestling and they had like the bear really they had bare knuckle fights. Stricker's Grove they used to have all bare knuckle fights and.
Speaker 1: They were sugar I've been to Sugars Grove a hundred times. I don't know they had bear wrestling bear fights.
Speaker 2: I don't know if they had bear wrestling. Maybe it was part of that. But yeah, for years they used to have you know, uh, tough man competitions. So maybe there might have been a bear brundle long just to see how tough you are. He has a tough guy. You can fight Leonard right there, or you can fight uh Smoky the bear. Oh boy, Bobo over there. He's hungry. Yes, we're gonna be talking to Willie after the news. But that is coming up seven hundred w l W News.
Speaker 8: Traffic and Weather News Radio, seven hundred w l W, Cincinnati.
Speaker 22: The Federal Reserve cuts interest rates, but no more cuts expected this year.
Speaker 1: This is the five o'clock report.
Speaker 22: I'm Matt Reeves breaking now, borrowing money, getting a little bit cheaper. Federal Reserve announcing today it's cutting interest rates a quarter point. It's second straight reduction, but probably the last of the year, according to the boss at the Fed, Jerome Powell, at.
Speaker 12: A time when we have tension between our two goals, we have strong views across the committee. As I mentioned, they were strongly different views today and the takeaway from that is that we haven't made a decision about December.
Speaker 22: Ben Chairman Jerome Paul. Today's cut follows the first cut they made this year, that was back in September. He says, the outlook on the economy's muddy, with higher than normal inflation and the job market is slowing. Lackluster reaction on Wall Street, by the way, except for Nasdaq those numbers in just a moment. We have a rainy drive home this afternoon.
Speaker 1: We got to check on that latest traffic in weather together from the.
Speaker 4: U see Health Traffic Center and when it comes to stroke, every second counts, and so does your team home to rapid life saving treatment and clinical trials. You see health Aclared Choice for stroke care. Learn more mad you see health dot com. Right now, we are watching heavier pockets of traffic on seventy five between the Viaduct and the Brent Spence Bridge. On the southbound side of seventy five. Northbound seventy five Mitchell to paddocksows in seventy one mlk to the Brent Spence about a ten minute trip. Now writing is shut down both directions Paddic to Asman Avenue as we have an accident with the cleanup underway cloff Pike between bruns Lane and Nagel accident with traffic being directed around that a fifteen minute drive on southbound seventy five Ronald Reagan Highway to Norwood. Later through the long term work and delay us back to right around Glendale, Milford and hoppolit seventy five an accident My Brick Shrimp News Radio seven hundred double d well.
Speaker 24: W now the leadst forecast from the No Fear Dentist Weather Center at Vance Dentistry.
Speaker 13: The thought of the dentist making you a nervous wreck.
Speaker 7: We're here for you. No fear dentist dot com.
Speaker 22: Rain continues today, dropping down to forty five, rain and windy Tomorrow high fifty, partly cloudy tomorrow night, thirty nine for Halloween Friday, mostly sunny, fifty four for the high. No rain on Halloween Friday, by the way, low thirty nine Friday night, and partly sunny on Saturday, with a high of fifty five forty eight degrees. Right now fog, mist and rain. Heaviest rain in the Lawrenceburg area. Latest on Hurricane Melissa now set to hit the Bahamas with heavy winds and rain that will lead to flooding through tonight. Melissa brought devastating flooding to Cuba after slamming Jamaica yesterday.
Speaker 14: These officers, in one moment, we're here to help on a welfare check, and then on a blink of an eye, had to defend their lives.
Speaker 22: An update today from the interim Cincinnati Police Chief Adam Henney on the shooting by a police officer of an eighty nine year old man in his home in Madisonville yesterday. Elderly man survived. He illigedly pulled a gun and was shot doing this job.
Speaker 14: You know that we asked Helen demand. Well, I think you're going to hear in this next segment is there was also a begging. This officer was begging this person to drop this fire arm.
Speaker 22: Shooting occurred during a welfare and check which turned violent. It's not known yet whether there will be any charges against the elderly man. No officers were injured. A former sheriff's deputy convicted by a jury in Peoria, Illinois's second degree murder and the shooting death of Sonia Massi she had called nine to one one asking for help, was shot and killed. Sean Grayson could be sentenced to twenty years in prison or simply to probation. Grayson was originally charged first degree murder, but the jury was given the option to consider second degree murder instead.
Speaker 28: Prosecutor is getting their conviction here, but not getting the first degree charge that many family members of Sonya Massey were certainly hoping to hear.
Speaker 13: We are going to hear from both the.
Speaker 28: Prosecutors and representatives of Massey's family at a press conference here shortly. No doubt they're going to be at least members of the family disappointed to some degree that that first murder degree first degree murder charge was not to be had.
Speaker 22: And ABC's Matt rivers that shooting happened in the summer of last year after Massey had called for help over a potential intruder in her home. The defense says Grayson was acting in self defense because he believed Massey was going to throw a pot of boiling water at him. Closing Bell Wall Street, the Dow dropped seventy four to forty seven thousand and six thirty two. SB five hundred lost less than a point to sixty eight ninety. NASDAC set a record record high of twenty three, nine hundred and fifty eight after gaining one hundred and thirty points.
Speaker 7: Seven one hundred.
Speaker 15: WLW Sports It's a Bengals update, brought to you by Good Spirits and Party Town, thirteen locations in northern Kentucky. Bengals quarterback Joe Flacco is a sprained ACL joint in his right shoulder. His status is unknown for Sunday head coach Zach Taylor.
Speaker 16: He wants to play. I hate speaking for him, but that's what he's told me. We'll have to work through the week to see if that's that's able to do that. It's a throwing shoulder, it's painful.
Speaker 15: Soccer FC Cincinnati defender Nick Haglan has been named twenty twenty five MLS Comeback Player of the Year. Haglan returned to action after a severe leg injury suffered in twenty twenty four Baseball Game five of the World Series Tonight in La Dodgers and Blue Jays tied to two.
Speaker 1: Bill Edison seven hundred WLW Sport.
Speaker 22: Next News five thirty, Matt Reees News Radio seven hundred Double Dwild Double D.
Speaker 1: This report is sponsored buying Land Evolution, Haunted Screen, Parkland.
Speaker 9: Evolutions, Waunted Screampark Rings, six huge hanks with all access.
Speaker 2: On Calvalcate of Customers Car Show. You could go and wrestle a bear at the car show and look at the batmobile.
Speaker 1: That stuff that was good fun in the seventies and eighties. Right yeah, right on, see some cars, get some cotton candy and.
Speaker 2: Wrestle of bear with I bet you this guy as a wrestled a bear or two in his life. Let's if he hasn't, he will tell us he has. He is our good friend, Willie Cunningham. It is Wednesdays with Willy being brought to you by the fine folks at Joseph Automotive. Willie, before we get to the top of get hand, have you ever wrestled an animal of any nature?
Speaker 9: It was nineteen eighty six. There was a ring put together at then known as Latonia Racecourse and the bear was named Victor the Wrestling Bear. Andy Furman was the pr director. He wanted to get some radio personalities and those in TV had more sense, but Victor. A ring was set up at the racecourse and now it's a gamely casino, I believe, and turf way. It was known as Latonia and I was recruited by Latonia and Mike Pattaglia to wrestle Victor. And there were two personalities involved. One was Gary Burbank and the other was yours truly. And the ring was set up with I think there was a thousand or so people. There were nurses, and much like a high school football game, there was an ambulance available. And so when we get there, we were cheered up and screamed up.
Speaker 1: And I'm talking to Gary.
Speaker 9: I said, look, let's flip a coin to see who goes first. At that point, I was quite a droit at flipping a coin in such a way that I knew which way it was going to turn out. So I suggested that Gary, why didn't you call heads or tails? And when he set heads, I'd flipped the coin in a certain way and flipped it sly of hand that it was tails. I mean, Gary, you're going first. So Gary Burbank jumps in the ring with Victor. The crowds are going nuts, and Victor had a muzzle on it, but he had a large hole right at the front of his teeth, which I wasn't sure about why the hole was there until I discovered later the reason. So at this point, Gary Burbank latches into Victor much like a pro wrestler with that hole, to begin to match. Victor picked him up, twirled Gary around like it was a frisbee, and dropped him on the mat. At this point, Gary is screaming and hollering help, help, and I yelled at him as the crowd and joined me to follow. I said, Gary, you're on your own. At this point, Victor got on top of Gary, put his paws on either side of his head, and the hole in the muzzle hit a fourteen inch long yellow encrusted tongue. So the tongue of Victor comes out and starts licking Gary from the bottom of his atom's apple to the top of his head. At this point, Gary's losing his breath and he's saying help help. The crowd's laughing. I'm yelling, you're on your own. Doc Wolf is off to the right. He was the so called manager. He's laughing, I'm looking at Gary's eyes, and Gary's eyes are not having a good time. So the tongue started licking Gary's face, leaving the bear crud up his nostrils, in his eyes and in his mouth as he's yelling help help. At this point it's my turn to get in the get of the ring. Gary is pulled out by Doc Wolf by the ankles off to the side. The crowd's going nuts. So I say, Penny, is there? A nurse is there? Her name was Sandy Joseph Bless her soul, and she was in her nurse's outfit. She looked pretty good, but nonetheless, I jumped into the ring under the urging of the crowd. At this point, Victor anticipates I'm gonna hook up with him. Mono a mono, but not Willy. I start running around the ring and the and the trainer's yelling, don't do that. You're gonna you're gonna piss them off. Don't do it, Victor, don't do it. And I'm running faster, and Victor's coming after me. Just as he lunges at me, I jump at the top rope. He hits behind me on the top rope, the whole ring collapses into the front three rows of the crowd. Victor is now running loose in the crowd, a turnfoy latonia. He's running around and people are jumping on top of Victor to trying to calm him down. At this point, complete chaos, chaos and zoos. It takes about a half an hour to put the ring back together. So at this point you had to pay like one hundred dollars the wrestle Victor and the winner got ten thousand dollars. If you actually could pin Victor. Try penning a five hundred pound bear. Good luck. They collected one or two thousand dollars. I left the ring and I'm done wrestling animals. I'm done.
Speaker 1: Now that's quite a story. And nice story. And here I am thinking he didn't have a story for this. Of course he's got a story for Corse.
Speaker 4: He does.
Speaker 9: Of course he does, correct, But don't do a Victor in the eighties, seventies and eighties he was a legendary bear Victor. But don't let him lick you.
Speaker 1: And it's a bear. He don't stand a chance bear. That's the easiest hundred bucks you could ever accumulate.
Speaker 9: Well, yeah, there were two guys that wrestled Victor and he tended two guys. These guys weighed two hundred and fifty pounds each and they thought they were going to handle Victor. Each got on a leg or an arm. He treated them like rag dolls. He threw them off and got on top of them, and at one point he lifted a leg and.
Speaker 7: Piss on one of the guys.
Speaker 9: That was part of the act too. I figured the Victor had to relieve himself.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, there was something else we wanted to talk about.
Speaker 19: Willie Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the materfl of bear is what I'm saying. Don't wrestle a bear another thing you shouldn't do. So we had Miranda McGee on earlier. She is head of American Legacy Tours. They do the ghost tours here in town. And she got a talking about Washington Square and then you know there's you know, they about fifty years ago they found out there was a dug up a bunch of bodies while they were renovating the park, and there's still a bunch of bodies there. And led the conversation about how back in the day, like a day's wage was a dollar twenty five but if you could you know, you know, have a you know, find a body and give it to science, that was worth one hundred and twenty five bucks. And we said, well, look, I mean our our afternoon, our noon three hosts. Here is maybe one of the most notorious grave robber family members this side of Cincinnati. Here, that is you and old Cunny. So we wanted you to tell the story about your grave robbing ancestors. Past.
Speaker 9: Well, I went to Wikipedia and I haven't potted up now. It's called William Cunningham eighteen o seven to eighteen seventy one was a well noted body snatcher who lived in Cincinnati, Ohio. He was a professional resurrectionist. Ningham provided corpses to area physicians and medical colleges from eighteen fifty five to eighteen seventy one at the Washington Park and the suburbs of Cincinnati, Ohio.
Speaker 1: At the time it wasn't the suburbs.
Speaker 9: At the time it was, but not now because on to say, popularly known as Old Cunny. The other names attributed to Willie Cunningham was Old Man Dead and the Ghoul, the ghouls, thels got it long. He was born in Ireland in eighteen oh seven, a corner estimated by the time of his death he had re inturned well over several hundred bodies in Washington Park. He possibly lived in the state of Virginia before he moved to Cincinnati, where he flourished in life and death. He was a mortician who would pay the pay there in turn the dead person in the Washington Park, and they had this ingenious system where he had tubes down to the shoulders of the casket. He put them in the ground, awaited three days, and then back at night and pulled them and put the hooks in the ground through the tubes under the shoulders and pulled the people pulled the corpses up, often leading an arm or leg inside the casket, but he pulled up the casket and pulled up the dead body and took it to the Medical College of Ohio for hundreds of dollars per body. Now, his personal life was somewhat different. He married my mother's great great grandmother. My mother's name was Mary, and he married Mary Cunningham, who assisted him his dealing the bodies. He was arrested several times that would bribe the police with liquor and money to let him go. That's my family's history at Washington Park, Wow, and well, my rooms are deep in the ground of Cincinnati. And then after a while the family moved to Arline or an elsewhere because they were chased out of town. They wanted to get into Kentucky where they had more lax laws when it came to disinturing bodies.
Speaker 2: Now, did he survive all of this? I mean without going to say, without going in the jail or being hung or whatever.
Speaker 9: Bill Cunningham. Bill Cunningham was considered the most infamous bodies natural Ohio and he finally died in eighteen seventy one of alcohol abuse. He was a drunkard. He had a buggy. At night he would roll around between the river between the flats and up to Washington Park with a dead body next to him, and he had a sense of humor. He'd hit the dead body and say he says something smart, say something stupid. As he passed people, and people would laugh at him until they found out that he was feeling these are lives, these are dead bodies.
Speaker 3: So the.
Speaker 9: Case and so the police. At some point he said, we got to arrest this guy. So they arrested him, convicted him, but then he broke out of the Hamley County jail and went to Northern Kentucky, where he applied his trade in Latonia and Ellesmere for years and lived on Shaw Street, and my mother, when I was a kid, would take me along the route of William Cunningham built again from Washington Park over to northern Kentucky. He finally died, and then his wife and his children continued the business. But they didn't have the slight of hand of old Old County. So mom Mary spent some time in jail and the boys took up other occupations.
Speaker 1: I didn't have the magic touch that Old Cunny had. Your ancestor your great great great grandfather.
Speaker 9: Yes, it was a look at Wikipedia page, looking up William Cunningham. He left the legacy of body snatching, which is unmatched in Cincinnati's history.
Speaker 7: I don't know what wow.
Speaker 9: And that's And by the way, after the nineteen eighteen nineteen nineteen flu outbreak which killed thousands, they shut down Washington Park and that's where Spring Grove Cemetery was created. So then one way into the country to Spring Grove, because Washington Park had too they were buying bodies on bearing on top of bodies like act like boloney, and so they wanted to do their best to get all the bodies out. But my ancestors did their best too. But Washington Park became Spring Grove Cemetery where Pale Crossley is buried today.
Speaker 2: Well you know William talking to Miranda, she was talking. And that's something that Rocky and I I had no idea about this, is that there's still tons of bodies buried there in Washington.
Speaker 9: Hundreds of that it was the place to bury individuals. And the Civil War was another terrible event in which numerous Union soldiers had nowhere to bury them, and many times they put them in the river to float down to Louisville have to fish eat them. But if you had some money, you could hire a mortician to bury bury your love one at Washington Park. And they started stacking them on top of each other because there's less and less space. So really my ancestors were like an urban renewal, get rid of some of the bodies out of there, to have more fresh space.
Speaker 26: To put more dead people face.
Speaker 1: I'm sure that was kind of the Yeah, I'm sure that was kind of their pitch. Right, Look, you think I'm doing a ghastly deed. I'm actually doing everybody a favor here, of course to my my wealth and benefit. But nevertheless, right.
Speaker 9: The Cunningham wealth is built on the dead bodies of Washington Park, That's all.
Speaker 4: I can tell you.
Speaker 9: And we moved in our Latre and Ellesmere to get out of town. People got angry if they saw their grandma coming down on a buggy losing an arm next to my great great granddad William cunt old honey, and so he was chased out of town by a mob, according to the inquiry, chased out of town by a mob. Just look it up Wikipedia, William Cunningham body snatcher.
Speaker 2: It's all right there, we will I'm we're going to be checking into that. Do you have any do you have any plans for Halloween? You're going to try to have a seance and revisit the I the ghost of Cunny will visit you.
Speaker 9: He donated his body to the Medical College of Ohio, which is now you see medical School. It was there for decades nothing but bones. And I've won, I've asked, I've asked John Barrett, you know William, his brother runs you see Medical.
Speaker 1: I like to get my bodies.
Speaker 9: I like to get the bones back, but they can't locate my great great granddad's bones. He donated his own body to science. He was a humanitarian. So somewhere my great great bones are somewhere, And if I get him, I'm going to go to Washington Park late at night and bury him there. That's where he belongs.
Speaker 1: One of the pioneers that before you get like one hundred and twenty five bucks.
Speaker 9: For it, right, I mean bodies. He was entrepreneurial. He also went rifle through the pockets and steal the money people left behind, wristwatches.
Speaker 1: And coins and old teeth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, welly uh yeah, thanks so much for sharing your family memories in your bear wrestling episode.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's kind of victor of the wrestling bear. Gary survived that I wasn't going to wrestle some friggin bear lick my face into Oh Garry looked on it's not coming out of his nose.
Speaker 2: We get okay, thanks buddy, we'll see you later.
Speaker 1: Thanks. Really well, we got a two for two stories for the price of what Well. That was well worth the time. Right there.
Speaker 2: With that, we take in with traffick and weather. What's going on going on.
Speaker 4: From the U S Health Traffic Center with a stroke Every Second count sodas your team home to rapid life saving treatment and clinical trials. You see health Clear choice for stroke carell LEARNMOREU see health dot com. Writing shut down between Paddic and asthmin as we have an accident clean up underway. We have Fort Washington Way approaching seventy one with an accident on the right hand side, two seventy five approaching seventy five and Kentucky about a five minute delay due to an accident, and about a fifteen minute drive seventy five northbound between Mitchell and Paddock. I'm rick reproduce Radio seven hundred WDLW the forecast from.
Speaker 2: A seven hundred WLW Weather Center for tonight clouds rain, the low of fifty or forty two four tomorrow cloud's reign and the high of fifty It is fifty. Now News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 7: What is sports?
Speaker 18: Sports is pride, Pride in your team and how it represents your town. It's why you wear their jersey. That's why you got a tattoo of their logo. That's why your bedroom is painted in team colors. Sports is pride. That's why we love it.
Speaker 20: Sports Talk with Lance McAllister tonight at six on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 6: This report is sponsored by Apollo Home, your source for plumbing, heating, and air and electric.
Speaker 1: Get ready for reliable home comfort in any season with Apollo Home.
Speaker 6: For a limited time, get a twenty nine dollars h back too, now from the hometown Heroes of service, from all right.
Speaker 2: Back with Eddie and Rocky and just a little while longer. But before we get out of here, we always like to talk to our friends at ABC, especially this fellow, right, Yeah, our good friend Alex Stone. Now Alex Well, rock you were flying just this morning. Did you run in any trouble as for is getting in and out of places?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 1: None, at all you know, TSA was the line was moving. So I haven't felt anything over the last couple of weeks with the shutdown with air traffick controllers, but it doesn't mean it's not happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's talk to Alex Stone about it. Alex, what are we seeing?
Speaker 19: Yeah, So the big issue here being the Favor workers. Even though they quote unquote haven't been getting paid now for a number of weeks, this is now the first week that they have actually gone with a zero dollar paycheck. That yesterday was they were going to get paid their previous pay period of two weeks ago. They got a little bit in that paycheck from before the shutdown, but now they're fully in it. So they got no money on Tuesday when typically they would have had a paycheck. So this is more real than it has been since the shutdown started. And so now air traffic controllers they are turning to food banks and regular banks looking for zero interest loans, looking for some help. This week, air traffic controllers began handing out leaflets at airports across the country calling for an end to the shutdown and saying that they look at they work six days a week, oftentimes mandatory over time, because the FAA was already thirty five hundred air traffic controllers short of target levels before the shutdown, so they've got to work. And it's also why control towers and air traffic control centers are being shut down or reduced in what they're able to do almost every day now where the numbers are going down. But Mark Raush is a controller handing out pamphlets at airport and he says, they're really hurting that you continue to come to work.
Speaker 29: Each and every day. We're proud bunch, we're a professional bunch, and we're all showing up to work every day for no pay, skiing the public support to help us end the shott And he says.
Speaker 19: Yeah, controllers are now getting second jobs or driving for Uber in door dash and instacart to make ends meet, to make some money. But that adds a new layer of distraction, and they're not sleeping during that time. They work these long hours anyway, and then now they get off and they're either handing out pamphlets or they're driving for Uber, and then they go in and they control that flight that you're on. That that it adds in a layer of risk into the flying system. He says that they don't like you don't want to introduce.
Speaker 29: A distraction into an air traffic controller, and they're plugging in and looking at the runways and in the back of their head that has I just ran out of money. I had zero dollars in my bank account. How am I going to refill my vehicle so they can come back tomorrow to not get paid? How am I going to How am I gonna put food on table? How am I going to pay the rest and guys.
Speaker 19: Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy is saying forty four percent of delays on Sunday, and they had quite a few of them were because of staffing. As people are saying more and more, I can't come in, even though they're to come in. I can't come in because of any number of things childcare, food, gasoline. But that's why towers and air traffic control centers are being heavily impacted and shut down for a period of time every day and all over the country. But Duffy is saying, the controllers are sending a very clear message they want this shut down to end right now, or at least a stop gap. He says, this is their message thinking out how you guys can negotiate, have a conversation, but pay us in the introm make sure we get paid for the work that we provide to the American people. Speaking for the controllers there, but he says, a president is not going to get wiggle room on this to make this stop and end right now if it means wiggle room with Democrats, and so I.
Speaker 29: Don't think you're going to see the president and negotiate here because he has nothing to give up.
Speaker 19: So the controllers are saying, yeah, okay, but they need to get a paycheck. PSA officers the same thing where they get paid a lot less average around twenty four dollars an hour, where they're they're hurting and going to food banks too. So it's it's a tough spot for them to be in. But the air traffic controllers, they are now out at airports asking you to take the pamphlet telling you to call your congress person and email them to make the point that they want this thing to be over.
Speaker 2: You would you would think there'd be some kind of emergency funding available for this, wouldn't you, guys?
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't know where that would come from, but.
Speaker 19: Remembers of Congress. Yeah, Congress is getting paid. The FBI agents are getting paid, but air traffic controllers and TSA officers they are not all right with that.
Speaker 1: Alex, I'm sorry right now. I was just gonna say, until you know, something gets passed, which will never happen, that you know, if a government shut down happens, then folks in Congress don't get paid. I mean, that'll expedite process until that happens, and it ain't ever gonna be solved out thing.
Speaker 19: Yeah, I mean, they're getting a paycheck. And then that's kind of where the air traffic controllers come down, where they say that the people who can make the difference, they don't feel like they're really feeling it right now compared the working man and woman who is showing up every day. And in the case of the TSA, they got to be in uniform and look presentable and all of that. And the air traffic controllers are highly trained and they went to the academy. There's an air traffic control academy. They got through that. They deal with a lot of stress every day and they are considered vital. I mean they are very vital to what all of us do when we travel, and right now they're not getting any paychecks.
Speaker 2: All right with that, Alex, we will let you go, buddy, Thanks so much. You got a paces our good friend Alex Stone from ABC Rock in other news, and that's cool that you've been traveling. Have would run into that type of thing. But we'll see how it all develops.
Speaker 1: In other news.
Speaker 2: This is kind of like a nightmare. With all the stuff that goes on with social media these days, you can get caught up in something like this. Megan Davis is a college student down in Texas, doesn't say what town. She is not a server at Olive Garden in Saint Louis, and she didn't get arrested for assault after throwing a basket of breadsticks at a customer, But her life has been turned upside down since a Facebook account called pure Videos I guess they have on their own page, posted a real mugshot of Megan Davis and claimed she had retaliated for a bad tip by tossing the breadsticks at a diner there. Says she is probably like my worst nightmare coming to reality. She admitted that the mugshot was real and that came from a night in August, soon after her mother died, when she was arrested for public intoxication. But this post has garnered harassment and creepy comments from all around the country. People are disgusting out there, she said, and scary, like, how do I even fix this? So can you imagine if like something like that got posted on you and people jumped all over it without bothering to see if it was really you or not.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, boom, and everybody has their opinion. They see a video there's no context, and they're ripping you to shreds, and you're like, it's not even me, not even one that did it right, And that's that's a cruel place. That's the Uh, that's the thing.
Speaker 22: You can't.
Speaker 2: You can't defend yourself in the open form like that, right, No, because.
Speaker 1: There's I mean, you know, thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of people that can jump onto this thing. And I guess over time you can it sorts itself out. But that's the thing about the Internet. It's it's what's the the saying with it. It's not it is important anymore to be accurate. It's important to be first. So if you can be the one to you know, break some story about some horrible lady that's not even her, and everyone jumps on it. That's that's what matters.
Speaker 2: In other news, you gotta watch what your kids do. Your kids shove I'm sure not the older ones anymore. But does the little guy shove anything in his mouth and swallow it?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're past that. He's five, So we're past the shoving weird things in your nose, your mouth, your ears faced.
Speaker 2: Thankfully, this happened with a thirteen year old in New Zealand recently swallowed nearly two hundred high powered magnets.
Speaker 1: What uh he thought?
Speaker 2: I don't know again talking about stuff you pick up online. Apparently he had seen somewhere online that if you ate a magnet, it would help you. So if you eat one magnet, why not eat two hundred.
Speaker 1: If one is good, two hundred must be better. We live by that philosophy at.
Speaker 2: So you'll be freaking superman. Surprisingly, he didn't get the health supplement that he was looking for. He needed some of his bowels extracted.
Speaker 1: Oh man, yeah, you're that's gonna take a little surgery.
Speaker 2: The doctors at the local hospital there had to go on a scavenger hunt and the kid's belly, discovering four separate linear chains of metal objects once inside. Uh these magnets, which are I guess marketed is I guess like you may string them together or something, and it says they're marketed as toys. They obviously would attach to each other. They U da da da da Dad. They clogged up his bowels. The legal experts are now pointing out the alarming difficulty of enforcing a domestic safety band when overseas retailers operate without restraint. So these kids or you know, parents are ordering stuff online, which we've talked about before.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you know, this stuff can only be police so so well, so the kid goes on and cool, I want to get some of these little magnets to play with. Mom, okay, cool whatever, Yeah, cool, pluck yourself out. Yeah right, and then he eats them. We probably saw some video and then that had another video that's saying it was good for you or it did something cool, and yeah, it's just these kids are just surrounded by this stuff at a lot of so much information and a lot of it that's frankly not true.
Speaker 2: Uh So let me ask you, because Jason Knight and the Vega before we get out of here. We've only got a little bit of time.
Speaker 1: What uh.
Speaker 2: We are your kids in Halloween? Because where you live, you don't you won't get any trigger treats. No, no, okay, So when your kids go out, I would assume you're going to take them to a neighborhood or something. We used to do that sometime with our kids because of what the house was. There was there was like a house next to us in a house at the end of our driveway, and then there was a neighborhood across the road, so we had to take them around to a neighborhood and turn them loose. Now, when you were a kid, what did you do?
Speaker 1: Yeah, a bunch of different things. I remember we'd go to my grandma's she lived over on Deal Road, which is off the North Bend, and there was a lot of houses. I mean, that's what you're looking for, a lot of houses in a small space, right that where you can just really increase your your your profits there. So yeah, we did that. I've all every house I've ever lived in, I mean growing up and of course now has always been like down a long driveway. No neighbors know nothing, so I've never I can honestly say, I don't know if I ever had any trigger treaters come to my house. I guess maybe when I lived in I lived in Nashville, I had a house that was in a neighborhood, and you know, a couple of neighborhood kids would come by, but other or not, that's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, keeping my go buy extra a candy this year, just like Tanya Rourke was talking yesterday, she's buying like two hundred dollars worth of candy. Apparently with that, we check in with traffic and weather, what is going on