Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 3: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 1: Here we go again.
Speaker 3: We running back, hosted by Dodgers insider David Basset in the mix. Dodger Talk is brought to you by La County Public Works Champions recycled beverage containers make the play Recycle Today, and by Children's Hospital LA from Colds to Cancer. We got this to get in on the show called eight six six n eighty seven two five seven in and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you get your podcasts. Here's your host, David Vasse.
Speaker 4: Welcome the Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: David Vasse with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. The Dodgers get the second half underway, or the post All Star Break schedule underway tomorrow night in the Bronx, the site of Game five of the twenty twenty four World Series.
Speaker 4: That's right, the Dodgers will.
Speaker 2: Be back in the Bronx for the first time since winning the twenty four World Series the front end of the back to back championships. I feel like we forget too easily the twenty four World Series because of how dramatic Game seven and the entire twenty five World Series went. But yeah, the Dodgers are going back to Yankee Stadium for the first time since beating the Yankees and coming from behind dramatic fashion in that Game five to win the World Series. So that should be exciting. I'm excited to go back to Yankee Stadium and the Dodgers will be there for a three game series before heading back to Philadelphia and then to the White House and then back to New York to City Field to play the Mets. So a big ten day road trip for the Dodgers right out of the All Star Break. We got a great show for you tonight on the eve of the Dodgers starting up the post All Star Break part of their schedule. Mark Pryor and Blake Trinan will join us. At the bottom of the hour, the Dodgers pitching coach Mark Pryor will lay out and discuss how the Dodgers manage show hal Tany the pitcher the second half of the season and Blake Trinan, the forgotten reliever who played such a big part in the Dodgers winning the twenty four World Series, such a big part, and pitching in relief more pitches than he ever threw in a game in Game five of the World Series to set up Walker Bueller closing it out. Blake Trinon will also join us at the bottom of the hour and coming up in fifteen minutes, our very own Colin Yee's studio producer has put together a fantastic first half highlight montage with my guy Brad Paisley providing the musics. So that's coming up in fifteen minutes, the Colin Yee Dodgers first Half highlight Montage. All right, before we get to the Dodgers and their East Coast road trip, I'll just say my piece on the Home Run Derby and the All Star Game. I'm not gonna sit here and say both events were fantastic. No, they both fell flat this year and it will happen. But doesn't mean you have a overhaul of the Home Run Derby or overhaul of the rules of the All Star Game. No, it just so happened that Skiens and Miserowski and Yamamoto could not pitch. Now, Cam Schlittler, he should have pitched. It was his throat day on Tuesday, and he should have pitched. But you can't blame Skeens or Miserowski or Yama Moto.
Speaker 4: It's just the way it lined up.
Speaker 2: And the biggest of stars, sho Hao Tani, had to have his left knee drained. So, I mean, those are the extenuating circumstances of this year All Star Game. So I don't think it's a need to change or demand new rules to make sure these guys pitch when it's the All Star Game. No, this has happened before. It's just unfortunate that it happened this year. And it's the most unfortunate that you didn't have Aaron Judge in this game and you didn't have sho Hao Tani. Everybody keeps wondering why it was so flat. That's the reason you didn't have the game's two biggest stars on the field. Aaron Judge is hurt, show Hao Tani's hurt, and you didn't have the biggest high profile pitcher pitching in the game and Jacob Mizerowski the Miz So those are the perfect storm of unfortunate events that lend itself to the All Star Game being flat this year. And congratulations to our guy Cody Bellinger for winning the All Star Game MVP and our guy Miguel Vargas for hitting the only home run in the All Star Game this year, two former Dodgers who have gone on to be rising stars with their own teams. I mean, Cody did everything with the Dodgers, but Miguel Vargas having his true breakout season on the South side of Chicago. So congratulations to both those former Dodgers who mean a lot to me and certainly put in a lot of blood, sweat and tears.
Speaker 4: Wearing that Dodger uniform. And I know.
Speaker 2: Miguel Vargas wanted it to happen here, but it's unfortunate that there was just nowhere for him to play. Third base was taken by Max Munsey. First base was taken by Freddie Freeman. Now, as far as the home run derby goes, and just the whole weekend in Philadelphia, Philly did a great job. They did a great job hosting it. But here's the little secret that nobody wants to say out loud. All the Phillies disappointed. All the Phillies players didn't rise to the occasion.
Speaker 4: Of the or the fan base.
Speaker 2: I mean, Kyle Schwarber lost the home run derby to Jordan Walker. Bryce Harper could only hit two home runs out. So seems like a trend in Philadelphia where there's a lot of hype and not a.
Speaker 4: Lot of action to back it up.
Speaker 2: And in the game, Christopher Sanchez, Oh, Christopher Sanchez, he needs to.
Speaker 4: Start this game.
Speaker 2: Well, he's the one that gave up three runs in the first inning and that was it for the National League. So the host city did a great job. The Phillies players did not. And that's that's the dirty little secret. Nobody in Philadelphia will say out loud, but we will right here, all right. Eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number, Dodger talk David Vasse with you until the bottom of the hour. Blake Snell is going to make a rehab assignment this weekend. While the Dodgers are in New York, Snell will be in Tacoma, Washington, with ocal home of city, making his first rehab start. And Max Munsey, who was the starter for the National League obviously will be back in New York with the Dodgers. But I know everybody's concerned about a letdown or the Dodgers limping into September and October because they have the best record in baseball and a gigantic lead in the NL West eleven and a half games, despite being swept by the Diamondbacks before the All Star Break. Max Munsey, who's been on the Dodgers since twenty eighteen, has seen a lot of big leads turn into October clunkers, is confident that this Dodger team that has won back to back championships knows how to win and knows how to handle all this.
Speaker 5: This group is a little bit different just the amount of experience we have on the team, and in the past we hadn't been as bought into just taking it day by day as we are now. And part of that is just understanding what the end goal is for us. And the only way you get the is you. You you show up every day and you you do what you have to do for that day. You can't worry about anything else that's going on. You can't worry about tomorrow or next week or the week after that. You have you know, tonight we have Kyle Freeland, Uh, the Rockies. How are we gonna win this game? And then when we show up tomorrow, we'll worry about tomorrow's pitcher. And that's that's just how we've been taking it every single day. And that's that's really what's helped us win two World Series back to back. Is you know, even in the postseason, it doesn't matter if you won the night before, you got to show up the next day and you play that game.
Speaker 2: Will that be the challenge in the second half for you guys to stay in the moment?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean obviously that's that's kind of always a challenge. But uh, you know, I think for us, like I said, having the experience that's been that's been helping us a bunch.
Speaker 2: We'll all find out together month see the rest of the Dodgers, all of us will find out how the Dodgers handle this big lead. And it's not just about the NL West, it's about having a first round by because we all know a short, three five game series is not where you want to be. The Dodgers were fortunate, thanks to a huge hit by ta Oscar Hernandez and Philly to win that series and move on. You don't want to see the Phillies again in a five game series. You don't want to see any team in a short five game series because anything can happen. So it's not just about winning the West. It's about having a first round by. And also, let's not forget last year. If the Dodgers would have won one more regular season game, they would have had home field advantage in the World Series. Game seven would have been played at Dodgers Stadium instead of Canada, and who knows, with home field advantage, it maybe doesn't go seven games for the Dodgers last year. So yeah, the division, I'm not going to say it's over, but ah, the Eggs are cooling right now. But it's about getting a first round by, and it's about understanding every game counts because one game can decide whether or not you have home field advantage in an NLCS or even.
Speaker 4: In the World Series.
Speaker 2: And I'm sure the Dodgers are very aware of that, and I do believe Max Muncy and I feel like people don't give these Dodgers enough credit. They know how to win. They're not experienced, they know how to win, all right. As we continue until eight o'clock. We got a big show coming up next. The first half highlights courtesy of the Dodgers, courtesy of Rick Monday, Tim Neverett, Stephen Nelson, Charlie Steiner, the Full Boat, and courtesy of Brad Paisley providing the great music for a fantastic start to summer. And coming up at the bottom of the hour, Mark Pryor and Blake Trning will join us as the Dodgers get set to open up the post All Star Game part of their schedule tomorrow night in the Bronx against the Yankees.
Speaker 4: Right here on A five to seventy Welcome back to Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: David Vass with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 4: I'll be hopping on a bird.
Speaker 2: I'll be a Yankee Stadium tomorrow with the Dodgers to open up a nine game road trip to begin the second half of the season. It'll be in the Bronx, then Philadelphia, and then finishing up against the Mets at City Field in Queens. Coming up in our next segment, you'll hear from Dodger pitching coach Mark Pryor and three times World Series champion, Blake Trinan will join us to figure out when he may return and how much he has left in the tank. I say that because I know he would be upset if I even questioned that he has a lot left in the tank and certainly is going to be another one of the reinforcements the Dodgers are going to have coming up in the second half of the season. Edwin Diaz, Blake Trinan, Will Smith, Blake Snell, the list goes on and on, along with Tyler Glassnew and keyk Hernandez is expected also to rejoin the Dodgers when they return home from this nine game road trip. All right, our guy, Colin Yee, he is a magical musician and he put together the first half highlights of this incredible sixty plus win first half for the Dodgers, and underneath it, big time Dodger fan, loyal Dodger talk listener Brad Paisley, don't forget about it. You only get so many summers, and Brad has given us clearance to be able to use his music, So enjoy. Thanks to Colin Yee, Brad Paisley, and the Dodgers for providing us with so many highlights in the first half of the season.
Speaker 7: Trying a battle behind one and two.
Speaker 1: Another offering from Gallant.
Speaker 6: Paz liften in the air left field in deep.
Speaker 4: It has gone.
Speaker 6: Andy Paz flips the scoreboard with a first Dodger home run of twenty twenty six. Base is empty, one out top of the eight.
Speaker 4: No, we make it.
Speaker 6: Pitch still, get ow rushing, Golf's another one out of here, keep to right field number two of the game for Tulton rushing. Oh, he is feeling it at the plate right now, here's.
Speaker 8: The old two these swings hits a high drive to right fail.
Speaker 1: It's going back. That is gone. Look up Winter Max one say.
Speaker 9: With two outs in the fat of the knife, Maxwell swinging a silver hammer his second career three home run game.
Speaker 1: Amma, Dodgers victorious tonight eight to seven.
Speaker 3: He home.
Speaker 9: My goodness, what a shot by Moncie four hundred.
Speaker 1: And one feet into those pavilion in right field.
Speaker 6: Two one Dodgers two out, faces empty the O two.
Speaker 1: Pitch swaying and of his strike.
Speaker 6: Thy show hey, Old Tony strikes out the side of the sixth. He's up to ten punch outs in six strong, keeping the Dodgers ahead two to.
Speaker 1: One, got two hounts of the one Y tucker Lin's inner the center flaner base hack. Dodgers are gonna win it. Here comes o'tiny rut third, he'll store talk about that second walk off win of the season for Tucker four career walkoff hits. And the Dodgers come back to the eleventh time this year and win the ball game of five to four. Oh, how do you like that?
Speaker 4: Woman?
Speaker 1: You on one out?
Speaker 8: Soroka chicks the runners out of the stretch, delivers home man this one pull down.
Speaker 1: The right field side, pay ball right on the line.
Speaker 8: Around third, comes rushing, he'll score. Freeland's gonna get waved around. Oh Tani around second.
Speaker 9: He's in the third with a pop up side safe.
Speaker 1: It's four nothing. Do rogeries on a two run triple for show.
Speaker 6: Hey, o'taniky bets on death.
Speaker 1: We'll count the payoff.
Speaker 4: Freeman.
Speaker 1: That's one fly in.
Speaker 6: The air at the deep right center field. We're at the wall and we're going home. Freddie Freeman with a walk of home run in the bottom of the ninth.
Speaker 8: Inning, sacrifice fly by pie his that's his third run banded into the game. Yeah, Freddy Freeman swings there. It is hit number twenty five hundred. It's a base hit to center. Freeman comes into score. Otani goes first to third. So Freddy Freeman with a milestone hit. Two thousand and five hundred career hits for Freddy Freeman, and they're asking for the ball.
Speaker 4: Don't play the umpire.
Speaker 8: This motion through the bowl with the Dodgers first base dugout and for Freddy Freeman, the souvenir well earned. Paul leads at second Ward at first two ounces of the one two pitch to Russian, he swings and rips into the.
Speaker 9: Right pill that's a face hit. Paul comes around card. Here's the prout of the play. Paul sides, here's safe. Then the ball gets away, Peer comes Ward.
Speaker 1: Dodgers win. Dodgers win.
Speaker 9: They come back and win for the twenty third time this year the Dodgers have come back to win six to five. The Dodgers win their forty ninth game of the season.
Speaker 1: The fell from right peel from todder O'Neill got away, and that allowed Ward to score the game winning run.
Speaker 8: Three two pitch to Bets, He swings at hammers one left center and deep.
Speaker 1: This ball heading back to the wall.
Speaker 10: It is gone a home run, Bookie.
Speaker 8: That's home run number nine and the Dodgers strike first. It's one nothing ohas off second. Rushing off of first, nobody out hits from Crook and o Tomy belts it high and deep to right.
Speaker 1: Forget it all. Is Paul's way out of here, over to the top of home run Hill between the trees.
Speaker 10: A three run home run for show Hey o' tony, his eighteenth of the season at his two hundred and ninety eighth career home run, a four hundred and thirty two foot blast.
Speaker 8: My goodness, he is a one man show when he's off first and second. Tommy Edmund, hitting right handed, slingson, hits the ball welders center field, going back onto his bolts, still.
Speaker 1: Going back, he looks up. It's going off the batter's eye.
Speaker 8: A home run for Tommy Edmund, his first of the season.
Speaker 1: It's a three run shot.
Speaker 8: And the Dodgers now lead at five to one. Dave Roberts will be in rare air roversus managerial records concerns. Two balls, two strikes, one strength to get and there it is on the outside corner. Monsey strike's out looking, Win number one thousand for Dave Roberts, win number ten for Justin Robleski, and win number fifty six for the Dodgers. One tonight tonight here in West Sacramento. One one ground ball basic down the left field line, rolling tour at the corner. In the score is rushing Edmund is on his way home.
Speaker 9: Man he will score a two RBI double for Andy Pajez.
Speaker 1: Folks, we're all tied up. It's six six Mounsey on deck two and two. That's bangs going into left center field. That's gonna be and they's hit that's gonna roll the wall. In the score is pa.
Speaker 9: Hes arriving at second base with the stand up double Mookie Betts and the Dodgers take a seven to six.
Speaker 1: League Too's got Hernandez.
Speaker 11: At the plate.
Speaker 6: Three nothing Padres in the bottom of the seventh, but the Dodgers have them loaded and nobody out. Tao against the left team winning home first pitch is hammered.
Speaker 11: This is way back then.
Speaker 6: It is gone grand slim too, Oscar Hernandez taale on time in the Dodgers lead four to three.
Speaker 1: What's too almost like pitch series?
Speaker 4: Freddy Freeman.
Speaker 8: These swims hits a drive deep bright center, fail way back.
Speaker 9: It does this past gone a harm run for Freddy. Home run number fifteen per Freeman, and that's two nothing Dodgers three hundred and eighty second career home run for Freddy, who continues to close in on that magic milestone at four.
Speaker 8: Hundred oh guys leading stretch by Yamamoto and the Dodger right handed flows pitch swung on it and there strike three got him with a splitter strikeout number ten, matching a season high, and the Pondres get no hits, but they leave a man.
Speaker 1: It is stretch time.
Speaker 8: And a standing ovation for Yamamoto as he heads over to the third base, dugout what a cat he's pitched.
Speaker 1: Russian swings hits a ground bowl that's drawing to center. Conchers win got to.
Speaker 9: Russian walks it off eight seven ta Oscar Hernandez stories Rushing hit up the middle past the tron and infield, and the Dodgers win their sixtieth game of the season, the fifth time walked off an opponent, and Rushing is being mobbed by his teammates on the infield over.
Speaker 1: Near third base.
Speaker 8: In the eleven innings, the first time the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Go to Exetras this season. They win the ballgame eight to seven on Dalton Rushing's.
Speaker 11: Third hit of the night. O.
Speaker 8: He strikes the night with a two ninety four average, fifty five runs banity two O swe on trilty too. The center failed in his packet is gone.
Speaker 1: Home run number three hundred for show. Hey o'tny.
Speaker 8: Oh he nashed a milestone in his first at bat.
Speaker 1: It's his thirty first career.
Speaker 9: Leadoff home run, his seventh this season.
Speaker 8: Instant offense for the Show that Never Ends. Won nothing Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Thanks again to calling Ye for putting that all together the Monta.
Speaker 4: So the first half highlights for the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: When we continue here on Dodger Talk, we will get to Mark Pryor, the Dodgers pitching coach, find out how the Dodgers are going to manage Otani in the second half of the season, and also three time World Series champion Blake Trying will join us as well. Dodger Talk until eight o'clock right here on a five to seventy a.
Speaker 1: LA Sports.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: David Vase with you until eight o'clock tonight, and we're very lucky to have some time with the Dodger pitching coach Mark Pryor, who certainly has his plateful with so many different pitchers. Mark, thanks a lot for the time, and congratulations on keeping this thing together the first half of the season.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, I appreciate it. Yeah, it's it's been a fun season so far, and hopefully the second half, you know, we get off to a good start. Obviously we got there two good teams in the in the Yankees and the Phillies, and obviously the Mets are hard to play at the so you know, this should be a good fun road trip and kick it off here and you'd be ready to go.
Speaker 2: You were just explaining to me how you can only control what you can control and you're always in the moment. But when you do get to Yankee Stadium for the first time, will the memories come back of the way Game five and twenty four went down with Blake trying in and Walker Buehler and you guys winning the front end of these back to back championships.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, I'm sure some of the memories will start to come back, you know. I mean, it is kind of surreal to think it's been almost two years since we've you know, we've been there, and you know, it was a special moment. For sure, it'll come back, you know, the way just kind of the game unravel, the way guys were into it, the way guys stepped up, you know, through that whole, you know, and two years ago when we wanted it was our bullpen that was able to put on a kind of a masterclass of passing the baton and picking each other up. And it was really fun to be a part of and watch these guys go out and perform. And so yeah, I mean, you know, the way that game started off, you never thought that, you know, three hours later or whatever we ended at that night, you know that, you know, Walker of all people would be you know, throwing a curve ball to finish the game. And and so it's it definitely brings back memories. You know, usually maybe I'll go out on the field, you know, the day before, and you know, you walk around and you think about all these things, and especially with playoffs, you feel like every time you play them, no matter if it's you know, two weeks later or two years later, it feels like it was just yesterday, So there will be a lot of probably emotions good and bad, you know, a lot of memories of just like the behind the scenes processes that go on. But then like once you know, you get into the pregame ritual of it, it all just goes right back to what it is every single day, and it's about winning the tonight's ball game and trying to put you know, the best you know performance and put guys out there in the best position of it to succeed. So you enjoy it, but then you move on pretty quickly.
Speaker 2: You might have Blake trending back on this road trip. How much do we forget how big of role he played to handle the ball to Bueler in the ninth inning.
Speaker 7: I mean, he was unbelievable that whole playoffs. And you know, Freddie obviously, you know, wins the MVP for for his heroics and what he did and sustains, you know, from an offensive standpoint, but it's almost like you need like a pitching MVP sometimes and and I don't think it's a stretch to say that he was the pitching MVP of that, of that of that season, or of that you know, that playoff run. You know, going in multiple innings, multiple times, coming in in some of the hottest situations that you can put anybody in, whether you're you know, a reliever or starter, and he just kept performing, kept getting outs, kept getting big outs, big moments, keeping the momentum, you know, either on our side or stomping their momentum. And then what he did in game five where he just was able to just kind of bear down and get a few more outs because the reality is is, you know, we didn't have anybody else after Walker. You know, we didn't know find out how to see it. You know, if we don't win that game, who knows what happened grad wal walked off that mound. We knew he was hurt, you know in that game. You know, Daniel Hudson, you know, hurt his elbow warming up for that game. So there was a lot of things that went on where Blake just kind of was able to kind of you know, wash, you know, put a cloth kind of over all those things that would have come out the next day but never did because he was able to get us to a position where at least we took our shot with Walker, and everything, you know, worked out. But he was unbelievable that year, and yeah, we probably do forget how great he was. And unfortunately, you know, last year was you know a little bit of a struggle and so far this year has been a little bit of a struggle. But he looks healthy and so we're excited to get him back and be a big part of this again.
Speaker 2: Hey, Mark, you just came up with a great idea that I'm going to start the trend on in the World Series. In the regular season, we have an MVP and we have a cy Young. Why not in the World Series a pitching MVP and a player MVP.
Speaker 4: I like what you just came up with.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, well, you know that was good two years ago, and then you know, Yamamoto just kind of bucked that train and just took care of it himself. So but you know, I mean, I do think there is you know, there's an offensive side of it and then there's the pitching side, and sometimes maybe they do need to be you know, if we are you know, at that point, nobody even cares though about the individual awards, So I think that's just for us to talk about afterwards. But you know, there's there's always every every postseason there's always big moments from a hitter. There's always big moments in big you know, things done by pitchers or you don't. Some of them you don't expect, and some of them you do expect. It's just what makes the game so great is that we show up every day. You really have no idea what might happen, because things just play out differently every day.
Speaker 2: Dodger's pitching coach, Mark Pryor is our guest. All right, Mark, The debate rages on about show Hao Tani and the two way situation.
Speaker 4: At thirty two years old, had his left knee.
Speaker 2: Draine received an injection during the All Star break. How do you see managing go Tani the second half of the year.
Speaker 7: You know, I'm pretty much the same way we've always managed to. You know, we we go kind of day by day or start to start, and obviously there's a week between those starts usually and we're trying to listen to the show as much as possible. I mean to be able to him to manage his worklow between the hitting. You know, how much he's on the base pass. You know, sometimes I think dictates that. You know, we all like it when it goes over the park early over the fence, it's easier to kind of jog around the bases. But we just kind of go day by day, you know, and see where we're at. And so we'll just continue to kind of take that philosophy and then try to really understand where he's at. And if there's moments where it's not you know, perfect between the knee or whatever, he's just fatigued and tired from you know, playing the game, then we have to adjust. And I think that you know, we've kind of calculated that into you know, how we built the staff and what we have to do. That's usually why we've kind of put him in certain days, you know, through the first half of the season on Wednesdays, so hopefully capture those oft ENAs is. So, I mean, there's all those things. We try to use those tools at our advantage, but at the end of the day, it's you know, really trying to get an understanding of where he's at day to day, and and that's kind of how we've played it out these last year and a half as he's pitched, and I feel like that's probably just the way we're going to continue to go the second half and then you know, things come up, we'll make decisions accordingly.
Speaker 2: You were a right handed pitcher, so you understand the landing league and the force that comes down with the size of a guy like Otani. How much is that compromised And do you feel like whatever the draining and the quarterzone did can can ease the pain?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Not a not a doctor with the knee, I could. I can tell you some things about the shoulder, but you know, it's it's real. I mean, I mean when you're talking about lower half, you know, no matter what, whether you're pitching or hitting, I mean, it's obviously a huge part of everybody's and what they do and how you impact the ground and generate force. So you know, landing on your left knee and going into your you know, your lead leg block as we call it. And if it's compromising a little bit, yeah, it's gonna put some stresses on the other parts of the body as well as maybe some diminished you know, velocity or stuff. And only really he can be the one to articulate how much that is bothering him. We can see it in some of the numbers, but those can be misleading because he is a big, strong, powerful guy, and you know, we play in a game with the league compensators. They find other ways to be able to perform at their max level, even if it's not the most efficient way. But yeah, it's something that we're definitely keep an eye on as much as we can. And again, we go back to show and hope that he is our take articulating to us how he's feeling and how it is impacting his pitching, if it is impacting his pitching, and then we'll just make decisions based on what's best for the team after that.
Speaker 2: Fair enough, Mark Pryor, Dodgers pitching coach, is our guest Dodger Talk until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five seventy LA Sports. The Dodgers open up the second half in the Bronx at Yankee Stadium.
Speaker 11: Before I let you go, you're the pitching coach.
Speaker 2: The pitcher catcher relationship is so important as well as with the pitching coach. How do you feel like Dalton Rushing is starting to keep the focus of his defense and not letting the offense bleed over?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean I think he's getting better. I mean, it's we talked about this beforehand. I mean, it's one of the most impactful and demanding positions that there is on this field. You know, shortstop obviously, you know it plays out, you know from a defensive standpoint, but you're not sitting back there trying to catch pitches, call pitches, have an understanding of every game situation. Clearly, he's he wants to hit as he should. He is a good hitter, and he's proved that at the at the minor leagues, and he's working his way at the big league level to sustain that offensive production. We've seen it with Will We saw it with Will Smith. You know in twenty and twenty one. He had a lot of you know, similar you know, maybe not as public growing pains and as far as like just understanding, you know, the experience you need experience at this level. The game is fast, it moves quick. Pitt are changing constantly what they're doing. It's not where it used to be like, oh, here's a guy throws a fastball slider and it stays that way. These guys will change pitches from outing to outing, and it's sometimes it is hard to keep up. I think he's been he's been great. You know, he's had his moments where he's you know, probably got a little bit too emotional and the hitting stuff, and we've talked about that. I do my best to get these guys' space because I do want them to feel like they can you know, they do play the other side of the baseball. These guys have an offensive you know, skill set that they need to be able to impact the team. But at the end of the day, when they you know, when you walk up these steps, like you got to be a catcher first, and and I know Doc talks about it, We talk about it is kind of a servant industry as being a catcher, and I think he's starting to understand that. You know, when we have conversations in the dugout, he needs to be able to flip that script. He's not an infield or outfielder where they can wait until they hit the warning track to flip the script. He needs to do it almost as soon as he takes off his helmet and his batting gloves. And so he's talked about it. He's he's committed to trying to improve on that and really understand that, and we're gonna hold him accountable to it. And so but I think overall, he's been great. I think he's he's made moment. He's had moments where he's you know, pivoted and called really you know, aggressive pitch calling that we needed in certain situations. And then he's also been burned by being too aggressive with certain situations. And those are the things that back and forth, they're never gonna get You're never gonna get me perfect with it. And so I think he's improven day to day. And I think, you know, you find a guy who at the end of the year will be able to go home and then he'll be able to think and be able to kind of you know, compartmentalize all these different experiences, and then hopefully next year, you know, he grows in more ways. So it's it's it's just part of the game. And but our relationships great. He cares so deeply, and I think that's first and foremost. He cares about winning, and he cares about his teammates.
Speaker 2: Hey, that's as honest of an answer I've gotten regarding Dalton Rushing. I think everybody appreciates how much he cares. But obviously, you know he's got some tough love from you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, it's you know we've talked, Like I said, we've we've talked here a handful of times, as a lot of other people, and I support him as we all support him. I don't think there's anybody who doesn't support him. But you know, our job is also to to to try to shorten that learning curve as best as possible, and the only way is to just be honest with him about like this needs to get better, and he knows it. But again, it's not coming from a selfish place. It's coming from almost a place of caring too much how much he wants to do something to help this team win and help his teammates win. And then just understand it's you know, best ares in baseball, Freddie Freeman, he's a three hundred hit. There's gonna be times where you do get out. There's gonna be times where you call the right pitch and a guy over there who's getting paid a lot of money's gonna hit the ball out of the park too. You know, Like that's the give and take of understanding that this game is not perfect and just because you might even have the right process, you might not always get the right result or the result that you intended so I said, he's I think he's starting to come to understand that. And again, he's been great to work with and I don't want to like Bamy, and he's been really great to understand. And it's fun for us because this is part of our job as coaches, is to to develop him and to a big league and kind of hopefully, you know, polish off some of the rough edges around it and make them, you know, hopefully going to make them a finished product by the end of the year.
Speaker 2: Mark, thanks a lot for the time and being so candid. I want to say thank you. You're a tough guy to you know, buy a gift for Christmas, must be tough for your wife.
Speaker 4: So you love coffee, you love the pour over.
Speaker 2: Do I actually have to go somewhere to ground the beans or can I just bring you a bag of beans?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 2: What will satisfy the generosity of this interview?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 7: Man, No, we have.
Speaker 11: We have multiple grinders in the clubhouse.
Speaker 2: We're good on the So you want the beans, but gifts are not my thing, you know, So I have to go to Latin America to get the beans for you to satisfy this.
Speaker 7: No, we're all good. We got plenty of beans, so I enjoy I have no problem talking and no gifts necessary.
Speaker 2: Okay, I would never offend you with a chain coffee restaurant.
Speaker 7: That's fair. I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Thanks a lot for the time, and we'll see in the second half.
Speaker 7: Okay, appreciate it. Thank you from.
Speaker 2: Dodgers pitching coach Mark Prior to one of the Dodgers key relievers over the course of their three championship runs, especially in twenty twenty and twenty twenty four, the one and only Blake Tryning joined us. Enjoy the conversation with one of the Dodgers' key relievers who is on the horizon to returning three time, three time World Series champion. Blake Tryning joins us as the Dodgers are getting set for the second half of the season, starting at Yankee Stadium. Trying will not be active for that, but one day we'll return to Yankee Stadium, where he helped the Dodgers win Game five of the twenty four World Series.
Speaker 11: Appreciate Hey, you know what, I'm super grateful to experience that Game five. But uh, it's twenty twenty six, Dave, and we got bigger things to worry about.
Speaker 4: I knew you were gonna say that, but I'm an ostalt you guy.
Speaker 11: Every interview since then, you just don't let it go. I you know what, My kids and family would really appreciate you talking like that, But for me, it's like what else you got on the docket for today? The people want to hear about the present. Let's go, Dave, Come on, Blake.
Speaker 2: So you're telling me the next time you step in to Yankee Stadium, those memories are not gonna fled through your mind.
Speaker 11: They always will. No, those are That was a gift. That was a gift from God. I'm never gonna downplay a Dave. I just thought you had twenty twenty six aspirations to talk about.
Speaker 9: I do.
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 2: All right, let's start with you in twenty twenty six. How are you feeling and do you feel like you can contribute the second half of the season.
Speaker 11: Yeah, absolutely, I feel really good. Just a little hiccup with with some wear and tear, and everything.
Speaker 7: Feels really good.
Speaker 11: You had great reviews from the from the MRIs and everything with the elbow, so yeah, now it's just you know, you're down for seven or eight days, letting some swelling go down and building back up. So yeah, should he should be ready shortly here after the break starts back up.
Speaker 2: Feels like there's a big crew of you guys that is ready for the first home stand after the All Star break. Key k Hernandez said he's coming back, Edwin Diaz said he only needs two or three more rehab appearances. Snell Zilla, the other blake in my life, is about to come back too. So it feels like, you guys with the best record in baseball and you haven't even tapped into a lot of you guys the second half of the year.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's a unique year, right, Like, anytime you can put up sixty wins, sixty plus wins in the first half, it's pretty incredible. And we've done it without ever being full strength. I think, I don't know if we've had anybody like we haven't had our full complement of assets out there at the same time. And I think that just goes to show how well this organization provides depth and how committed they are to winning. You know, we get people like Snow and Glass and Diaz and key K.
Speaker 7: And will back.
Speaker 11: It's like, man, we were in such a great spot and Yeah, so just get everybody ready down the stretch, be ready at the right time, Like we're all trying to play one hundred and sixty two games, minus me because I'm a reliever. But yeah, the biggest thing is can we be full strength and clicking at the right time of year. And you know, for the most part, since I've been here, it's a pretty good track record. There's only been a couple years. I think you can say we've been pretty frustrated with the results at the end of the year. So yeah, this try to run something down that's pretty special here in twenty six.
Speaker 2: Can you explain the difference between an experienced team and a team that knows how to win? Because there are other teams that are out there experience, but they don't know how to win the way you guys have learned the last couple of years.
Speaker 11: That's a hard question to answer because there's a lot of people on every team that know how to win. It's just as a collective, can you put it together at the right time? And the hardest thing. The best way I can explain it is executing every out until the last out and not giving away out because in the playoffs, every out is magnified. We've seen it happen for us and against us, and if you look at our World Series runs, there's always something small. It's like for all the kids out there doing the little things right that have either helped us or hurt us. And the last two years it's helped us a lot, you know, over the last you know. And it's not like these players are doing anything that are so egregious. It's like, you know, it's just like a slight mental laps. And in the playoffs everything matters. So and if you give a team a foothold, you've seen like we've got a guy right here taking ground ball. It's like he ran out a ball in New York that more times than not. I mean it was miscommunication, right, So like it's not like it happens. It just sucks, like for those players that it happened in that on that stage in that game. But Mooki, that doesn't even happen if Mooki's not busting at one hundred percent down the line. So those are little things that kids should pay attention to. So when you talk about like winning, it's it's not taking anything off. Every bat matters, every pitch matters. Every ball that you run out matters. Every ground ball you feel and throw is with a purpose. And that's what this team does extremely well without any lapse. And I think that is the difference maker because we played Toronto, who is a super hot team, and honestly, you know you could run that back. However, many times if one play doesn't go our way to those last two games, we could be not having a chance to run down three in a row because they were so good in New York. Was a phenomenal team that we just had two hot games here at home and the pressure led back in New York. We played hot and we beat him at the right time because their offense was getting going to So we're talking about like winning culture. It's just from top to bottom is there like this desire to win above all else. And this team is bought in because they were tired of having the heartbreak of going home early. Ever since twenty twenty one, two and three, it's like, how are we getting outed when we feel like we've got teams to make deep runs, if not win a World Series. So finally it's stuck in twenty four with our backs against the wall. I mean, we didn't we lost glass Now in Atlanta? Yeah, you know, and that was that was a back breaker. And then last year, you know, our started were phenomenal and we wrote them. So it's just such a wild thing. We'll see what this year has has a whole.
Speaker 2: Blake trying to is our guest three time World Series champion. I know you said don't look back, but that day that glass Now went down, everybody talks about what Dave Robert said in Atlanta.
Speaker 4: To try to pick everybody up.
Speaker 2: What has he done in the last couple of years to really help you guys get over the finish line as well?
Speaker 11: Well, managers have a unique role, right so you know, yeah, they're not the ones playing the game. They're they do. We've got coaches like like Woodward out here and an evil and and and you know, I'm gonna forget everybody else. I don't see him right now, so I can't really corn him out. But we've got all these these coaches who commit so much time to our craft individually, and and Dave's job is to find the way to push the right buttons, you know, like when do you when do you actually pull out a speech? Because I'm sure there's times where he's like, I should address the guys. Now, let's let them try to figure out on their own. So it's like parenting a little bit. How do you parent adults to where you let them have their growth and then also force some growth on them. And Dave does a great job of pushing the right buttons, and you know, the thing that he does well is reminding us like, you know, we're the Dodgers and no one feels sorry for you. And if you don't like it, then you know sign somewhere else. So the lights are different here they are and I think what's cool is like when you've played here for a while, there's always people will say, oh, I relish the pressure of performing with a team of expectations to win a World Series every year. I say bs, because until you've actually lived it and tried to run it down, there was always that nerve of man, there's like, no, there's no relaxing moment when you have that. Well, when you're here and you see the winning culture and you know that is the expectation and you grow through those nerves and now there's like actually peace, It's like, yeah, we know the World Series is the is the goal every year and the standard, and it's not like there's any extra pressure. It's like learning to ride your bike. You know, you're trying to do what feels normal. And that's not a knock to the league. It is extremely hard to win one game, let alone the last game of the year, but it's knowing, like what you're capable of doing and what you prepare for. And we have a lot of guys who hold each other accountable, and so Dave does a great job of pushing buttons when it needs to and reminding us who we are and our identity as players in this game. So from top to bottom, you have to go to the top. You Mark Walters. Then we go to Friedman who designs and crafts this thing that the fans get to love and enjoy.
Speaker 4: He found Blake Trnon out of Oakland.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I was actually kicked to the curve and he's like, hey, this guy needs a job.
Speaker 7: Let's see if you'll signing.
Speaker 11: With us, and yeah, so then I've been blessed ever since.
Speaker 2: So Blake Chrinan is our guest. The Dodgers open up in New York against the Yankees. Okay, I've talked to Freddy Freeman about this. I've talked to Clayton Krushaw during last season. They both have said that they allow themselves to enjoy the moments more at this stage of their career. There's no guarantees that you pitched next year, do you well?
Speaker 4: I don't know. Are you do?
Speaker 2: You want to make that announcement and I'm busted. I think this could be the last dance. It could be it could be the last dance.
Speaker 11: I have no idea. I gotta talk to my family. I gotta pray about it. See if doors are open?
Speaker 4: Is this the last dance?
Speaker 1: Dave?
Speaker 11: I have to get back from the il first, okay, and then when I do that, I want to be electric so that fans have something to cheer for and not boo, and then win a world series. Let me enjoy that.
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 4: Are you allowing yourself to enchain?
Speaker 11: Here's the question, David? Right, I have the mic, Dave? Is this your last year?
Speaker 4: Every year?
Speaker 2: It could be my last year. I'm on a one year dealer. That's a ride comment. It's unbelievable. I'm coming back. I'm coming back.
Speaker 11: I have some confidence too.
Speaker 4: I'll be back next year. You gotta pollo.
Speaker 7: Now you actually look put together. You're coming back.
Speaker 2: I said I would reach job security. I said when Kershaw retired, I would retire. But then Freddie's still here, Blake Trenton still here. You guys are going for the three, so I gotta stick around.
Speaker 11: So you're greedy, I want more?
Speaker 4: All right, you're greedy too, And in the ring, I have an attitude.
Speaker 7: Your attitude, your deal, Dave.
Speaker 11: I gotta I gotta live up to my expectations. Let's go now, I'm a little bit on the on the light side.
Speaker 7: I gotta get it.
Speaker 4: I gotta start lifting some heavyweight. When will you pitch again, Dave?
Speaker 11: There's a process. I don't know if you've is this your first year round baseball. I'm gonna explain to you something when when somebody, when somebody has an ailment that keeps them from performing at the ability that the that the organization expects, it's called I l you go to the iell okay, and when you're on the aisle. That means you have to recover from something. Once you're in a place where you can throw the ball, then you gotta build back up. Once you build back up, like hey, now you can touch the mound for a bullpen. When you throw a bullpen and it goes well, then you move on to facing hitters. When you face hitters ball, then you go to your rehab assignment, and if you make it through that, then you come back to that.
Speaker 4: You don't need to rehab the assignment.
Speaker 11: Listen, we can have that debate another time.
Speaker 4: All right, I'm declaring you ready, how about that?
Speaker 11: Thank you? We need you to my next live. You can come stand in.
Speaker 4: I would love that.
Speaker 11: It's a win win for you. You're expected to punch out, You're expected. We need an arm guardoks, we don't need another broken arm. Okay, and maybe a shin guard in case you do touch it and filed off your shins.
Speaker 4: Would you come inside the kitchen.
Speaker 11: Always you need to feel it and understand that. Like I'm League average at ninety five, and there's guys that throw one hundred and five now, okay, figure.
Speaker 1: That one out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but they're not as nasty as you.
Speaker 11: I mean, Mishowski's pretty gross, and so's Chatman. So I think we're and uh Miller, Mason Miller's.
Speaker 2: Pretty good too, Okay, Okay, Hey, thanks a lot for the time. I know there's fans here there wearing number forty nine. You want to go meet that one guy? You have the rank your jersey, we have we what do we call that?
Speaker 11: We have revenue? We have one jersey sale revenue and this is great. Thanks for looking up your NIL would not be my NL. Will buy me a burrito at Kidoba.
Speaker 2: Hey, Blake, I know you don't like me seeing these kind of things, but I appreciate everything you've done for the Dodgers. You've left it all out there on the mound, and you're far from over. I tell Freddy that I told Kershaw that you're far from over, so you got more in the tank.
Speaker 11: Appreciate you. We'll be done when God says it's done. So all right, just pray about it and then we obey it.
Speaker 4: All right, love it. You're you're the man. Thank you for the time.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no worries.
Speaker 2: There it goes. Blake trining has been our guest. Thank you to Mark Pryor and Blake Trinan for joining us.
Speaker 4: Thank you for listening.
Speaker 2: We will talk to you tomorrow from Yankee Stadium, a three game series to begin a nine game road trip for the Dodgers New York Philly and then New York again, so we look forward to speaking to you. Then, our coverage begins at three o'clock for pregame, and first pitch from the Bronx will be at four fifteen. Thanks to Colling You, thanks to Ronnie Fossio, and thank you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you know where to find it.
Speaker 6: Seel