Speaker 1: Finantial throwdown from a Wall Street heavyweight.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloomberg Money Minute on seven hundred WLWI.
Speaker 3: Alrighty, we say good morning to Athens, Ohio's very finest. Dan Schwartzman from our Bloomberg newsroom in New York City, Danny. Bitcoin continues to sink while some precious metals continue to rise.
Speaker 4: That is correct, tom Bitcoin starting the new month under pressure once again after losing almost seventeen percent of its value just in November. Traders say a key support level for bitcoin is eighty thousand dollars, with the token currently well under it's October high of over one hundred and twenty six thousand dollars. It is right now at eighty just over eighty six thousand dollars and thirty cents well.
Speaker 5: Silver trading at a record this morning.
Speaker 4: The trader's placing specuative bets on the white metal given ongoing supply tightness. Meanwhile, copper advancing to a record high in the London Metal Exchange on fears the global market is heading for a supply crunch. But how a Bitcoin down from one twenty six to now eighty six thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Okay, Dan?
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, Coca Cola getting sued by the estate of a music legend.
Speaker 4: Who's that the estate of Johnny Cash, claiming Coca Cola created an ad campaign featuring the voice in the legendary country star without authorization or compensation. The ad campaign, launched in August, features a recording of a male singing voice that quote sounds remarkably like the voice of Johnny Cash, with consumers expressing confusion on social media. I remember the ad and I thought it was Johnny Cash away.
Speaker 3: Wow, yeah, Okay, well I can understand why then they're showing him. Meanwhile, the futures this morning, whys check, they were down, Oh, still down, my friend, Dow's down four tens to one percent, Nasacs down one percent, SMP currently down seven tenths of one percent. From Bloomberg Dan Schwartzman on news Radio seven hundred WLW. Always a pleasure to be joined by our business insider Greg Steben. You can follow him on Bluesky at Greg g r E G g Steben ste b as in boy bas and boy E N and we call them the busines Insider. But all we've been talking about for a few weeks is AI and we continue that topic here today. So for the next five weeks, most of us will have or hope to have a little EPRA time off from work. And you're suggesting this year to give the gift of a I. How and why do we do that?
Speaker 6: Well, so, yeah, we're most of us are going to get a little time off between now and the end of the year and between now and Christmas, and some of that time is going to be used to do some holiday shopping. I'm saying your holiday shopping could already be done.
Speaker 7: You could just give gift of AI.
Speaker 6: And yeah, I'm kind of kidding about that, but I'm also not really kidding. Let's say you decided you're going to give everybody on your gift lifts stump form of gift of AI. You'd probably use AI to figure out.
Speaker 7: How to do that.
Speaker 6: Sure, but also let's just say the predictions about AI for you to change everything. And you were the one at the end of twenty twenty five who came along to everyone or in your life around you and said, let's buckle down figure this thing out.
Speaker 7: You might be giving them the.
Speaker 6: Greatest gift they ever received, which is brighter future than if they just bury their head in the sand and ignore it.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, if you're going to give someone the gift of Ai, how would you go out doing that?
Speaker 7: How would I do it?
Speaker 5: Yep?
Speaker 7: I would use AI.
Speaker 6: I would open up an AI platform, Gemini or Perplexity or chat GPT. I would type in I want to give everyone I know the gift of AI this holiday season?
Speaker 7: How should I do that?
Speaker 3: And it's going to pound out what we can give a gift certificate, I mean, explain that people who know nothing about this but they're trying to learn about it. We try to walk them through that a little bit during our segment each and every week about you know, fooling around with it, playing around with it, asking some simple tasks, see the results going from there. But if you're actually going to give it as a gift for somebody to open in an envelope, whatever, how and where would you go about actually giving them that?
Speaker 6: Well, I mean I am actually serious, open some AI platform and ask them how to do it, because this is exactly the kind of thing AI excels at. Is it get there's information and presents it to you. I mean, at the end of the day, Yeah, I think you're gonna.
Speaker 7: Give people they're gonna I would.
Speaker 6: Use AI to create gifts or tickets for AI. Now, there are lots of wall you could do that. You'd say, look, an AI subscription generally around twenty dollars a month.
Speaker 7: I might say to people it depends on your budget.
Speaker 6: I'm giving a year of.
Speaker 7: A particular AI platform, or you.
Speaker 6: Know, let's say your dad's an accountant tool, go find an AI platform.
Speaker 7: That's four out the accountants.
Speaker 6: There are hundreds of AI platforms. I personally, I'm going to give everybody in my life a subscription to the same AI platform, so we're all using the same platform. I'm gonna get everybody somewhere between three months and six months or twelve months of access. We're all going to have access to it. And every time I talk to everyone i've given this as a gift, I'm going to say have you used your AI platform?
Speaker 7: Or they call me say I need your advice, I'm going to say.
Speaker 6: Did you be looking it up on And it's probably going to be perplexity, just because that's why I use There's no rules to this, but the first rule, if there was a rule, should be use AI to figure out how to do it, because I want you to start using AI too, not just the.
Speaker 7: People in your life.
Speaker 3: Okay, now, how about this idea. You tell me if this makes sense. If you're a manager in your company or you're a small business owner, would you thank God giving you it to your employees?
Speaker 6: Yes, Now that doesn't mean you don't also give them the gift you normally do. But I think you might look at this or if you have the kind of relationship with your people that you can sit us with twinkle in your eye, you might say to them, I'm kind of giving you the gift of the future by giving you the Todai. You don't want to say that as a threat, but if you can say it in a joking way and people kind of go like, I think you're just serious, because yeah, because this really could be the greatest gift to you. If you have people in your life who are resisting this, and you may be resisting it. Just making something fun, something silly. It's just the idea, but also something that people think about doing together. You know, you had a Christmas party where you tell everybody to bring a lapop.
Speaker 7: Computer or a phone, huh, and you all.
Speaker 6: Play kind of a game of trivia sitting around the table and everybody uses AI to you know, figure out what the game is. You know, you might say to yourself and people around you for a month, let's never use Google every time we have a question.
Speaker 7: We would normally oh, I'll google that, let's AI instead.
Speaker 6: Oh and look, we all have a sscription to an AI platform.
Speaker 7: Let's figure this out together.
Speaker 6: That's what it's going to take.
Speaker 7: The master AI is just using it.
Speaker 6: So I'm just looking for ways to get people to get a fun way embrace it and use it and try it, and even if you fail, you still learn something. And that's really the point.
Speaker 3: All Right, Let's be the Brench for a minute, because the Grench always shows up around Christmas time, right, the TV show shows up every year a year after year, forever and ever. What do you think are the possible consequences if we just say ah bah humbug to AI this holiday season instead of taking the time to a break.
Speaker 7: Well, you could lose your job, you could.
Speaker 6: That's a nice lose your chance at advancing in your company. You could have a real impact on your family economically. And think back thirty years or twenty five years ago to the pew in your life who never got any Internet training. They became irrelevant.
Speaker 7: That's the consequence.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, I have a great rest of your day.
Speaker 7: It's great to hear.
Speaker 5: Here's the news to help you get it.
Speaker 3: This is the Bloomberg Money minutes on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: This is a Bloomberg money minute. Eli Lilly is cutting the price for introductory doses of its weight loss drug Zepound again as competition heats up with rival Novo Nordisk. Starting today, the lowest dose via will cost two ninety nine a month for those who pay cash. That's a discount of about fifty dollars. President Trump says he's decided on his pack for the next Federal Reserve chair, after making clear he expects his noumbinate to obey his demand to deliver interest rate cuts. Airbus says the vast majority of their A three to twenty jans have received critical modifications. Fewer than one hundred aircraft still need to get a software affixed before they can return to service. And a lot of shoppers were underwhelmed by Black Friday promotions, with some noticing fewer Doorbuster deals in freebies and saying the deals were not as good as in previous years, brands popular with younger shoppers and on TikTok, such as Brandy Melville. We're bustling with shoppers despite not having eye popping discounts. I'm John Tucker, Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 3: Friday eight forty on your Monday morning. Hope everybody had a great Thanksgiving weekend and time to get back up and at them. And every single Monday we get together with the Hall of Famer. We call it Mondays with Marty. Marty Brennaman, Good morning. How was your holiday weekend?
Speaker 1: It was okay, I hope yours was well.
Speaker 5: It was great.
Speaker 3: It was nice seeing you guys last night over a fifty bus cheeseburger.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, yeah, I mean give them a little outstanding.
Speaker 3: They do such great work over there, not only their product, but they do great stuff I know with the Marymont Schools and that for a long long time. And we're appreciative of Bob's slattery in that group for that. Okay, the biggest story I like to call these things water cooler talk, right, and you know, look for men who follow football, especially college football, this lane kept and for those that don't know what I'm talking about here, generally speaking, here's a deal. Lane Kiffin is the football coach. Was a football coach until last night at Ole Miss. They've had the best season in the history of the school. They've won eleven games, they've only lost one. It looks like they're guaranteed a spot to play starting next week in the college football playoff. Kiffen has decided that he is leaving to go to LSU. He is taking nine coaches with them. I want to start before I get into all of that the other stuff. What were your thoughts about Kiffen leaving at this point in time.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it applies to a lot of coaches tom in the past. Brian Kelly is a prime example here. I've been no big fan of his at all. The timing of all of this is terrible, you know. You see football seasons come to an end, and now teams are firing. Our schools are firing coaches and they're looking to hire others, and always their certain favorites because of the success they've had at the school they currently coach at. Kiffin is a prime example. You have to go more often than not, sometimes you have to lie to your fans in the school that you're leaving as Kelly did and end up going. And then if you go, if you're hired right away, which they most of them are, then you have to leave right away. And if your team is in the postseason, more often than not, you're not going to be allowed to hang around and coach them. Just it's a mess. I would hate to be placed in that position, because I think a man's integrity is brought to bear. I don't think any worse than this Kiffin situation, which has been a soap opera from the get go.
Speaker 3: You know, the one thing about the guy you talked about, Kelly, I mean, he left and didn't even have a chance to talk to his team. And I think that's what angered people around here more than anything. Not that he left Cincinnati to go to Notre Dame, but because that's a slam dunk, it's a fact that he left. It didn't have a chance to talk to his team. Kiffin was scheduled to talk to his team and after sitting down with the president of the university and the athletic director. And this is a topic I want to get into now, and then we'll get to the whole calendar thing in a minute. But what were your thoughts? Kiffin apparently really pitched the AD hard hard on letting him coach. However, Long Old Miss lasted through the playoff, and apparently, by all indications, LSU was okay with that. Even though you have the national signing date for high school players this Wednesday. The transfer portal unbelievably opens up during the college football playoff while it's going on. But Kiffin wanted to stay and coach the team the rest of the way. The AD said, not a chance. Do you like that decision?
Speaker 1: No? I don't. No, I don't like it at all. I mean I once again, it's got to do with the hypocrisy dealing with the kids. You know, they always say this is all about the kids. The hell it is. It's not all about the kids. If it was about the kids, then he would have been allowed to stay there and coach. Now, I agree, you and I talked extensively about this last night. Uh. It could have been a possible commercial for Louisiana State. Uh. It could have been the threat that they feel they meeting the officials at Ole Miss with him trying to convince kids to come into the portal and leave Miss ill Miss and go to the LSU. But here they are on the on the verge of the greatest moments in their in their history. Uh, these kids, and now it's a terrible taste in their mouth. I read a piece in the Inquiry this morning about how the blood is so bad down there relative to from the kids to Delane Kiffen in the manner in which this whole thing has gone down. Uh, it's just it's an absolute College athletics is an absolute mess, and I'm blue the NCAA for a lot of it.
Speaker 3: You know, the thing about the NCAA is so Dad, you and I both know. You know, once they started basically, you know, the the BCS stuff, and now they've moved into the college football Playoff stuff. I mean, even though when it comes to certain rules and regulations, yes, the NCAA is in charge, but at the same time, the College Football Playoff as it's branded, pretty much runs itself. And it just seems like there is no direction from them to try and change his calendar because they know every single year that this kind of thing, the possibility of it happens. I mean, we saw the guy at Marshall last year. He ends up leaving Marshall before the bowl game, so many kids decided to transfer out that they didn't even have enough players to play in a bowl game. And so, you know, you know the flip side of all of this, And I'm curious your thoughts here. I mentioned that the transfer portal opens up while the college football playoff is going on. But let's just take a team like South Florida. Let's pick them because they've had a really nice year. Alex Golis yesterday officially left there to go take another job. But these kids that are even in a regular quote unquote bowl game, all of a sudden, you know, they're looking around and going, who in the world is going to coach this team? But at the same time, Dad, if they want to pick up and leave and sit out of a bowl game, We've seen a lot of players do that in recent years, where they you know, whether it's for the NFL Draft or because they plan on transferring somewhere else. I mean, they can leave, why can't the coach.
Speaker 1: I can disagree with that. That's the reason why somebody with some measure of intelligence, and I think there's scar a few of them, can sit down and try to hash this whole thing. Out transfer or postponed to a later date. The transfer a portal situation. There's no reason on God's earth why you can't do that. They either leave now or they leave a month from now. With the acts of difference, I just think that that there are ways to make work, and far smarter people than me to get involved in say how they should do it. But there has to be a way of making this a more palatable situation for the players, for the coaches, for the university officials. There's got to be I mean this, when somebody first labeled this a Wow wild West, that's exactly what the heck it is. I mean, in every sense of the word, every aspect of your program is touched, Every aspect of your athletic and collegiate community is touched, and most of those touches are negative touches. It's just an absolute unmitigated mess. You know.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, there was a fascinating article written just this morning about Ryan Day, the head football coach at Ohio State, and the way that he and his program have been trending here over the last number of years. Obviously, we know they're number one in the country, they're undefeated, they won the national championship a season ago, and a lot of people you know, for years thought Kirby Smart, the guy Georgia, was a guy who really had the strongest resume in the sport. And this article suggests that Ryan Day over the last seven years, whether you're talking about his recruiting, hiring his coordinators, giving up the play calling, which he did two years ago, last year when they won the championship, lost his offensive coordinator and now gives it to Brian Hartline this year, whether you're talking about his graduation rates, whether you're talking about his players not getting in trouble off the field, that he is now becoming the guy in college football, and of course it helps that you finally beat Michigan. What are your thoughts on Ryan Day.
Speaker 1: I'm a big fan of Ryan Days, A big fan of Ryan Days for a number of years. I know some of these Ohio State fans and I say this, well, people believe you understand. I'm a big fan of Ohio State football. Obviously I didn't go to school there. I love the way they played. I fell in love with it when Irvin was coaching there, and I think Ryan Day has stepped and he's done a marvelous job. He's not a guy that shoots his own horn. You don't hear a whole lot from him other than the football season, And if you hear anything from him, it's because somebody asked him a question. He has no opinions on anything unless somebody ask him. He goes about his job coaching, and coaching very well the Ohio State football team. But these fans who wanted him fired in the event that he worked to have lost to Michigan, which he beat the hell out of them on Saturday, I have a problem with that. To me, it's the greatest rivalry in collegiate sports. I used to think he was Duke in Carolina and basketball, not anymore. I think it's Michigan and Ohio State. When it comes to collegiate rivalry. There is nothing bigger than that. I think the guy's a marvelous coach, I really do. I think he does everything the right way. Whatever system he's got going for him. He loses very few kids to a portal. He always going to lose some because he's always going to have such a great football team that if they're going to be players better than others and they can Joe Burrow is the best example in the world. That's before Ryan Day. But no, I think I think if somebody wrote an article extolling his virtues as a collegiate coach and maybe being the best in the country, I'd be hard pressed to argue that against that completely.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that record eighty two and ten is just absolutely mind bodily. Okay, all right, I need a little I need a little I'm not going to say advice, but I want to get your insight on something because my wife has been giving me a very hard time about this.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 3: I did not go Tohier State, Okay, but I, as you know, I don't know if there's a bigger fan of Ohio State football than I am. I mean, I live and die with every play. I love them. I fell in love with them because they're my home state's team and it's just been going on for decades and decades and decades. All right, But I have no skin in the game when it comes to Ohio State. I didn't go to school there. As you know, your grandson, my son, Luke, is a student and is a broadcasting major there at Indiana University. And those two teams number one against number two will play in the Big Ten championship game this weekend in Indianapolis. My wife Polly is giving me a really hard time that I would be rooting for Ohio State and not Indiana. Now, Luke says, Dad, are you kidding me? I would never expect you to root for Indiana against Ohio State. But my bride is beating me over the head, so too is my daughter.
Speaker 5: Ella. What are your thoughts?
Speaker 3: I'm pa and remember now I'm paying Indiana money.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so what do you think?
Speaker 1: I don't I, you know, to drag out an off and use baseball cliche hang with him? I I don't know what to tell you. Believe me, Being his granddad, I'm once removed. I mean your his dad, I'm his granddad. I've thought about this subject a lot, Believe me, I have, I really truly have. Uh. Where where will my rooting interest be when they see that football up in Indianapolis this weekend? I don't. It's just it's gonna be hard, Uh, it really truly is. I would love to see Indiana win. Because of Luke's involvement at the university and also involved in the community communications program and the work he's done on football and basketball and every sport there, and then again I think about Ohio State. I could I try to rationalize and I say, well, they wanted last year. You know, they don't need to win it back to back years. Let's let's to let Indiana win that game and maybe win the national championship. But I don't, I don't know. I have my own personal feeling on it and how I think it's gonna add up. But I'm not revealing that.
Speaker 3: Uh, you're not gonna pick a winner on this show. You're not gonna pick the winner.
Speaker 1: All right. I'm picking Ohio State to win. How can you not big or I think it's got a chance to I think it's got a chance to get out of control. I really do, I really do. All Right, let me say this. I read an interesting piece in the paper this morning. Somebody has written and read the article. Saw the headline. This game Saturday may well determine who wins a Heisman Trophy. It's going to be number one against number two. It's going to be uh, the Mendoza kid in Indiana is going to be the uh saying kid at Ohio State. And I believe that. I think they're the top two candidates right now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think any day just.
Speaker 1: Add something else to it, add something else to the game. It really does.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's going to be exciting.
Speaker 3: And I tell you, for those that don't like Ohio State, when you think about their quarterback being a red shirt freshman and their two best running backs being freshmen and the best wide receiver in the country as a sophomore man, it is pretty scary stuff. All right, It's going to be fun. Thanks as always for the time. Hope you have a great rest of your day.
Speaker 1: All right, buddy, you too, We love you.
Speaker 5: I love you too. I'll talk to you later on Uh who we know?
Speaker 1: Drums, roads, pads, and shoes.
Speaker 6: It doesn't matter what kind of car you got the call.