Speaker 1: Do you want to be an American.
Speaker 2: Scott Flump Show On seven hundred WLW at ten oh six this morning, Kim Kober, president of the FOP, is going to drop some bombs live on the show in his reaction to the reports about Terry Fiji some six months in the making, the police chief in Limbo, if you want to call her that is, she's still hanging on.
Speaker 3: The report came out. Her attorney said it was going to be a hatchet job, and it certainly looks that way. We'll get in the details of that what it means for you if you live, work, or just head downtown to Cincinnati for Reds game like this afternoon at eleven thirty five. It's the inside pitch Reds and Pirates. Reds trying to win back to back series to open the season. It wasn't good yesterday. Hopefully today gets better. Although you know who's on the mount for Pittsburgh, so we'll see. We jump into this topic this morning before we get to all that. And for the first time since nineteen seventy two, humans are headed to the Moon and tonight could be launch night. It's the art and out the art miss one. This is the Artemiss two and it's part of a new space race at the cost of forty four billion dollars for a rocket to circumnavigate the Moon on that, of course, is Cincinnati's an. He is Cincinnati's astronomer. That is the legendary Dean Regus joined the show where we're at Astrodean dot com. Dean, welcome, Hi, you ben doing.
Speaker 4: Good, glad to be here on this momentous hopefully launch day.
Speaker 3: Yes, a lot of money, forty four billion, A lot of money for a fake mission. What do you think they're really using the money for, because I mean, we're not going to go around the moon. This is all cgi, this is all Hollywood. It's all fake, right, Dean. No one's gone to the Moon before. We're just we're taking that forty four billion. I don't forgive it to hum Israel. I know what we're doing with the money.
Speaker 4: But your speculation there, well, I'm certainly hope it's going to be more than tang, that's for sure.
Speaker 5: I hope we get a lot out of it.
Speaker 4: But I think it's you know, the thing with the space race, it is, uh, we can think a lot of our everyday things we use like the Internet and like satellites and things like that for that. So I think the money did was well spent back in the day. This mission is going to be an interesting one because, like you said, the first time we've gone to the Moon in fifty some years, and this is a This is a long delayed mission also, so this has been around for a while. If people have been following this, probably noticed that they were supposed to launch in February and March. Then they rolled the rocket back and now it's April. All signs from everything I can tell, seems like it's going to launch this week and it all seems good.
Speaker 5: So fingers are crossed for it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been delayed and delayed and delayed, and tonight looks like tonight. I was looking at the forecast and it looks like a go right now. Of course, anything could scrub the mission, but who knows that they may be scrubbing it as we speak right now. I don't know. But it's more than a fifty years since Apollo seventeen you mentioned. Now with fifty two years, well, why is it taking this long to get humans back to the Moon. It's not even on the moon. But this is in the Moon's neighborhood.
Speaker 4: Well, the way I look at this is, you know, the Apollo missions that sent Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin too, the Search the Moon and Apollo eight before that that went around the Moon. This is all you know, pretty much caused by the space race with the Russians and the Soviet Union, and it was you know, who's going to get their first supremacy of the of space and all that, So there's this great motivation once that was done. The way I take it is that the Apollo missions were like, well, there's not much we can do with the Moon and it doesn't have any real strategic value. It's pretty darn hard to get to and so they kind of put.
Speaker 5: The mission there.
Speaker 4: Because they said, all right, mission accomplished.
Speaker 5: We made it to the Moon.
Speaker 4: So I think it was you know, what is the motivation to go back? That's the big question and the that's the it's still kind of an open question. I think NASA is debating this, and I do have to say they could be better at their pr with this, and actually what the mission is, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Don't to me is what what are they doing? And they're not even landing on the Moon. There's going to fly Well, we've done that several times fifty something years ago. Why are we doing this again. What's the point of it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, the trajectory of this mission, it's really interesting. So they're going to launch, fly around the Earth a few times just to make sure everything's working, test out the systems, then kick in the afterburners and go towards the Moon and I'll take them about four days to get to the Moon. Then they're gonna fly a few thousand miles above the surface of the Moon and then head back. So the whole thing's gonna.
Speaker 5: Last about ten days.
Speaker 4: And it's a little different than the Apollo eight mission that's circled around the Moon a few times. This one is just testing out can we get them out there and back and then eventually a landing. And then the landing is going to be in a few years if everything goes well. But there's a lot of people in the industry and astronomers that are a little you know, we're all a little nervous about this because, like you said, it is a great expense of money, and so what I'm hoping, and I'm a big NASA fan in general, but what I'm hoping is that this is the step, the logical step to send us to Mars, because I think Mars is really the ultimate goal here. Going back to the Moon is less a priority in my in my mind, so this is.
Speaker 3: A test drive maybe from Mars. But yeah, if we did this fifty two years ago with nineteen sixty nine technology, it should be much easier to do it in twenty twenty six and much safer, shouldn't it.
Speaker 4: It should? And that's one of the other things is that I think it also brings to light a little bit of the Apollo mission's priority. You know, they were trying to do this fast, and I think there was a lot of close calls.
Speaker 5: I mean, we know this from the Apollo.
Speaker 4: Thirteam mission that went bad on the way there. I think that looking back on the Apollo missions, we are darn lucky that nothing bad happened, because it was a difficult thing to do, and I think there was some you know, there was definitely sped up.
Speaker 5: Quite a bit this one. I think it's almost like.
Speaker 4: They're being extra extra, extra cautious kind of thing because they know what's at stake and any little mess up could be you know, damaging not only to the crew, not only but the future missions as well.
Speaker 5: So there is a lot.
Speaker 4: Of nervous engineers and astronomers right now watching this because we know that what happens after today is gonna kind of set things forward.
Speaker 3: Well, this is the Artemis too, and of course we all remember what happened to Artemis one. It struck an iceberg in the North Atlantic and sank. It's very sad. The heat shield on the Orion was damaged on their first aircraft, and NASA change the re entry path rather than replace it. Is that pretty much one of the most risky things that is gonna maybe make this thing go sideways?
Speaker 4: Wait, aren't you talking about Titanic?
Speaker 3: I thought it had a nice didn't because and then then likely and then all was like fift I don't know, was it sixty years they made Leoda Capri made a movie upon it. Yeah, thats right, he said, and he's going down and it's very sad story. But the Artemis one struck an iceberg? What all, right? Have we learned lessons about icebergs and heat shields with Artemist two?
Speaker 4: I think so? And then then of course it hit.
Speaker 5: The tower in New Jersey and burst in the place. That's another way.
Speaker 3: Oh the humanity, Oh the humanity.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, boy, we're really throwing back here, Sloan. Anyway, now, let's uh so what happened with Artemis one is I was the unmanned mission that sent and I think people remember that one because it had the little mannequins that were in the seats, which I was like, all right, great, yeah, Manaquin sure, but it did have this amazing view. So it gave that first view of the Moon with the Earth in the distance, so it's behind the Moon, and this is the part of the Moon that you cannot see from Earth to the.
Speaker 5: Far side of the Moon.
Speaker 4: And it did give that.
Speaker 5: Really dramatic view.
Speaker 4: And and so that's what I'm anticipating here with this cruise mission. I'm trying to figure out, you know, why they want to launch now, because the other thing is, you know, it's the same time of month. That's what they were doing in February and March, early February, early March, and now early April. And it's the idea is that they want to be able to see some of the far side of the Moon lit up because right now we've got a full moon here tonight, and that means the far side is all dark.
Speaker 5: But by the time they get there, they're going to get some views.
Speaker 4: And I already did some simulations myself of what they're I'm anticipating.
Speaker 5: If they do launch today, what they're going to get is a.
Speaker 4: Crescent moon with a crescent Earth in the background.
Speaker 5: That's going to be pretty sweet looking.
Speaker 4: So if they launch later in the week, then you're gonna have a fuller Moon and.
Speaker 5: A fuller Earth. But so that's it.
Speaker 4: All depends on when they launch. And it's a far trip too. The Moon is a little bit farther away from us than it was for the Apollo eight mission, so.
Speaker 5: It's a little bit farther of a trip too, well quite a bit.
Speaker 4: I was looking at the when they've launched Apollo eight, the moon was like almost as close as it ever get. So that makes it a shorter trip, about two hundred twenty thousand miles the moon. Today it looks like the moon's about two hundred and forty thousand miles and getting farther away from us, so it'll be a little bit farther a trip, and it will take a little bit longer too.
Speaker 3: Okay, and eventually the moon will the moon just fades away? Does it go to another We won't be around for this, of course, but that's interesting. Dean Regas, Yeah, the moon.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the Moon is moving away from them at a whopping one inch per year. So yeah, I know it's getting out.
Speaker 3: Of here, slipping away from a Stean Regas, Cincinnati's astronomer Looking Up podcast speaker noted author Tonight alleged, looks like the window is good for launch for Artemis two, which will circle the Moon a few times and then come back to Earth. It's going to take about ten days to do this. I'm looking at the crew, Victor Glover, Christina Cook, Jeremy Hanson, all of those are historic. First on this crew. I look, this is when it looks like a movie cast. So looks say these folks were cast from Hollywood, because it's a diverse representation of American culture for sure. But I would think too that it's Trump's NASA that this in some aspects there's got to be some DEI criticism there. So is this a scientific mission or is it a pr move?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 4: I think you know, it's definitely scientific mission. And these four astronauts have earned their stripes, that's for sure. These are all seasoned veteran astronauts. All of them have flown before the three Americans vary.
Speaker 5: I mean, have you chiefs.
Speaker 4: I mean, astronauts in general have resumes that put all of us to shame. If I stand next to an astronaut, I'm just like, what have I done with my life? I've done nothing compared to them.
Speaker 5: So these guys and.
Speaker 4: Christina and all the other people on this mission are like the best of the best. And I got a feel for them because they've been in this limbo state. I mean, they've been training for this for years and years and years, and then they go into core team and so they can get ready to launch in February, and then they got to get out and then I mean they this is yeah. They they have to be good with the media and they have to be really patient. And my feeling is when I'm around astronauts, are they are better than us? Sloaney?
Speaker 5: They are?
Speaker 3: Well, there's no question. I Mean you look at the history when they started as test pilots, the chucky Haegers in the world, for example, John Glenn's and these were these guys that eat nails, and now we have expanded that to more modern times, obviously with technology. But I agree with you, the resumes and the pedigree of our astronauts of our space program are second to none, and you have to have full confidence that the people that are executing the mission are qualified, and they're beyond qualified for sure. Also, these astronauts before are going to be living quarters that are size of about two minivans for about ten days. Which BUCkies? Do you think they'll stop out on the way.
Speaker 4: That's one of the things why I don't think I could be an abstronauts claustropho via this. I mean, this isn't.
Speaker 5: Like Star Trek lying on the enterprise.
Speaker 4: This is uh, this is one of the things that you know when you go to NASA and you see like the mock ups of these things. I look at these, I'm like, how would I survive ten days in this little tin can? I mean, it's it's remarkable that they do this, and you know, I, you know, I go back and forth as what if they you know, unlikely, what if they would ask if I.
Speaker 5: Would want to go up? And you know, would I do it?
Speaker 4: Of course I would, but I would be it would not be fun. It would not be pretty, that's for sure. I kind of get the impression that all of the rockets.
Speaker 5: That went to the Moon, with those you know, with the Apollo missions, that by the time.
Speaker 4: They got back, the inside of that thing was disgusting. I mean it had to be gross with all that stuff, no doubt about it. They never talk about it, but don't to be real, but it's it's one of those things that this is something that is you know, is memorable. This is something that is going to be very interesting going forward. And I think that, uh, the view that they're going.
Speaker 5: To get is going to be unreal.
Speaker 4: And hopefully we'll all be along with them for the ride.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's probably true. There you've got four people in two minivans for ten days. It's probably going to look like a homeless shelter. You think that, well, they lose their security deposit, that that clearly they they're that's not going to come back to them.
Speaker 5: No, that's it.
Speaker 4: They're Yeah, they're gonna have to hose the inside of that thing out. It's gonna be Yeah, it's going to be. I mean, the whole thing of you know, the space food, the diet is very interesting. The hygiene is very interesting. It's this untold story of you know, maybe when I was a kid, I wanted to be an astronaut, and then I think maybe I went to NASA.
Speaker 5: And I looked at the inside. I was like, m.
Speaker 3: Y days, how did know you? Probably I'd suck it up. I mean, you're going to the Moon for crying out loud.
Speaker 4: That's true, But I do you know? I joke at myself, I say, you know, I don't think I have the right stuff for this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't either. I'd be the dummy party. Who's this button?
Speaker 5: Dude?
Speaker 6: Er?
Speaker 3: They don't want me anywhere near this thing. He is Dean Regaez see Cincinnati's astronomer and the Artemis two launches skept for tonight. Window looks open from this point, but who knows why or if they'll scrub the mission. It's been delayed enough as it is. Other part of this thing, too, in all seriousness, is the space X starship NASA needs after the actual moon landing. So we're not landing on the Moon today, but that'll have to come a little later there, and that's fine, scheduled by two years. How does that affect the twenty twenty eight target, and if so, then should we not be delaying this mission?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what's coming up next is so if everything goes well with this mission, then we have to prepare for the actual landing on the surface, and that part is also maybe overly complicated. There's a lot of skepticism about this landing mission.
Speaker 5: This one.
Speaker 4: The Artemist two is like, okay, yeah, we're testing this stuff out. But the Artemist three is going to test out a possible kind of rendezvous point for robotic things. So then the Artemis formation will rendezvous with that and then go down to the surface. So it's it's been as a modified plan and this is where you know, I wish that I could say NASA is like really planning this well. But there's some there's some criticism out there because of there's this uncertainty which is the rocket that it's going to rendezvous with.
Speaker 5: They're testing out two different.
Speaker 4: Ones and so they don't even know which one it's going to be, and a lot of people are saying, well, why aren't we just going and landing straight on the Moon? What do we need to overcomplicate things? And I think rightly, so I think there's some things going on with us that are very uncertain, and so people in the astronomy community are really uneasy about what's going on or what you know, what.
Speaker 5: The plan is. I think that's what it is. Yeah, yeah, And then the latest, the latest.
Speaker 4: Is, uh, you know, the head of NASA comes out and say, oh, we're going to scrap this one mission, which was the Lunar orbitter. There was going to be either going to try to build a space station around the Moon and instead we're going to build a lunar base.
Speaker 5: And I'm like, wait, let's let's do this one thing first.
Speaker 4: How about that.
Speaker 5: Let me let's see this is going to work.
Speaker 4: It's like, hey, we haven't done this one thing, so let's do something even better.
Speaker 3: But if it goes perfectly, that that unlocks future missions, right and maybe at some point a trip to Mars, which in your estimation be how many years away that oh boy, geez, with.
Speaker 4: How long it's taken to go back to the Moon, I don't know. There the optimist are saying the twenty thirties with the Mars mission. I'm more realistic and I'm thinking twenty forties, and even.
Speaker 5: That might be optimistic.
Speaker 4: Because it's just that's the thing is. So if for testing out systems to go Tomors the Moon is a four day journey out there, Mars is a seven month journey, and so that's the big, big leap, and we do have to practice, There's no doubt about it, because going to Mars is going to be like nothing else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you're gonna need a capsule much much bigger than your mom's minivan, that's for sure, Dean Regas. The launch window opens at six twenty four tonight from Kennedy Space Center and the Launch Complex. Thirty nine Bravo would be your launch if you're keeping score at home, Thirty nine Bravo is the launchpad there. NASA's got wall to wall covers. Dean is talking about this as website Astrodean dot com, the Looking Up podcasts, and Cincinnati's astronomer Dean Rigas, thanks for jumping on this morning.
Speaker 5: Hey, my pleasure and everybody keep looking up. Dean.
Speaker 3: Thanks again, brother. We've got news on the way in just minutes, and we switched from that to more serious stuff. The report on Fiji drops. We'll get into that in just minutes. And Ken Cobra at ten oh six. This morning's to drop some bombs here on seven hundred WLW Floni here, seven WLW rolling on. We got baseball today. I think fingers crossed weatherwise, fingers crossed. I think we get it in. I think they have to get it and we don't want to be playing them here in August or something like that. That's insane. Coming up at ten oh six, Ken Colobra President, the FOP frequent guest I know in the station. But yesterday the report came out on Terry Fiji. This is the report that took Damn near six months, six months and thirty two witnesses and a verdict that could end her career. And I read through the report, not as an attorney. I'm not an attorney by any stretch of the imagination, but there's certainly some interesting stuff in there. And I think that the takeaway is, listen, it takes six months to do a report. You hire a very prominent local law firm, Frost Brown Todd, and you know reports come out in government arts, especially at the backing, whether it's a city, whether it's the state, county or federally right, stuff comes out. It's like three thousand pages long you know, sometimes they release these big reports that come out and go, oh my god, look at the size of this. This report is unbelievable, and it's thousands of pages because it took six months, and you're gonna get your money's worth. This thing was nine pages long. Now, you know again, I think you can be succinct, and typically these things aren't lawyers. If you've ever read a draft of an amendment or some sort of bill or legislation, it's the if you gave that as a kid to your English teacher, you get an F because it'd be a run on, run on sentence that goes forever. You forget what the scope of the question was the first place you read this thing and go, I don't even know what they're talking about because lawyers wrote it. Apparently grammar and the rules of the English language don't apply to attorneys. They use the big words. But man, there's a lot of comments and run on sentences there. I'm gonna give you an F on that one. Why isn't that the case here? And I you know again, that is just a very snap shot look at what we're talking about here, because there's some serious allegations in there. For sure, but man, six months, nine pages, I don't know about that. I don't know about that. And some of the things that were in this concluded she has not been an effective leader, that she's old school, she's rigid, she's authoritarian. Her communication style lacked a transparency and distrust or created a transparency distrust arount CPD. The command staff often learned news from media and not chain of command. They felt there's a strong culture retaliation within CPD. That she blocked City Hall, including the city Manager and assistant city Manager, from communicating with the command staff. That she failed to fully implement the Summer Safety Plan while publicly agreeing to it, didn't talk to city Hall when overtime's loss were unfilled. But as I recall, part of this too, when the implementation of that summer safety plan was the fact that it had to do with overtime hours. Terry Thigi thought during your tenure that officers were burned out. And I've talked to a lot of cops who have retired. Some of them said, well, I'm not a big fan of Terry Thigi. And that's fair because how many people truly love their employer or their boss. Not many, not many, So that makes sense in that regard, But when it comes to the chain of command and people not knowing and not implementing the summer safety plan, well, that's because officers are reporting and this is the rank and file po's are saying, Look, I'm burned out, I appreciate the overtime, the money's great, and there's gonna be a number of people. I'll take all the hours I can get. There's people like that. But in today's climate, we know that quality of life is a big issue, especially if you're younger, and this would be police officers. Younger people cherish time off. They don't look at this, I'm gonna try and get all the money i can get and then retire in a few years. Now they're going, I'm going to enjoy it along the way. So quality of life is a huge issue, and for your mental health as well. There's no more stressful job than being a cop in the city of Cincinnati, particularly district run. And so I think, not knowing the inter workings of this thing, that that's one point I would push back on out of probably many, but that well, the officers the forced overtime, even at double time, Okay, but does that get your time with your families. They get your time off to enjoy how hard you work, because you do need that balance. I think that's what she was going at with the summer safety plan, and the city said no, no, no, she didn't take it seriously. I don't know this all haption happened in and around and during the election, and one of the big issues, of course is that and have to have pureval. The administration says that's not the reason why she got fired or she was relieved of her job. It's because of all these other things. But I'm looking through this going I can be honest with you, I'm leaning towards Steven m he's the attorney for Terry Fiji and calling this thing a hatchet job. I agree in many aspects of this thing, and looking through the report, going all right, so we fired her. But I guess the question is, if she was doing all these things poorly, why wouldn't you have given her a performance review? Why wouldn't you given her a notice? I will ask Julie Bouki about this too. At ten thirty five. Oddly enough, today Kurus suirpsent at ten thirty and we're going to talk I'm going to talk to her about this after ken Kober's on the show, and how this applies to me and you in the workplace. Like we know, you can get fired for any reason. Now, if your employee wants to fire you, they'll come up with a cause. They'll find four cause. As it is, right, that's easy to do, it's very easy to do. But if you're not getting annual reviews and she hadn't had a review in seven years as chief, then how do you know if you're doing a good job? How do you know what the expectations are? That's poor communication and a lack of transparency in my opinion, from the same administration that is holding her to a different standard. Now, she said she think she was the best chief the Sins of the City has ever had. Probably probably not. But again it's is she seen thought she was doing a great job? Why because she's getting no feedback? Isn't that a breakdown the most basic break down of with the problem with this report And I'm sure there's other ones at ken kobral Outline at ten oh six this morning, But if I'm doing a bad job, shouldn't you be put on notice? I mean, you may run a company. You may work for someone and you kind of know if you're on the radar, because they'll call you in and say, hey, we got a problem with this, we got a problem with that. We got all right, so I'm kind of being put on notice, or hey, we're going to sit down and give you a what do they call a work improvement plan or whatever the hell it is and improved. Once they put you on the improvement plan, you're going to get fired. Hey, we're got to come up with an improvement plan for you. Here's the terms of your improvement plan. That's how you can get better at your job. And if you do everything, you're still going to get fired when you get that improvement. Basically, that's noticed that say hey, we don't like you that much anymore. We don't think you're doing a good job. Here's your improvement plan. And even if you hit all the marks, typically you wind up losing your job anyway. But that was never done with Terry Thiji, and even in the report itself, it kind of lose ethic. Well, she's never had, you know, never had a review or anything, and everything's been fine, and everything in her thirty five years has been good. As well. So I don't know what to make of this thing. So you know, you look at that, and of course one is going to come to the conclusion this is entirely political, much like what we just had happened yesterday with the dismissal of the charges against Alec Tchavinsky. Here's a guy that he's been fearing for retribution from the courts for a while. It was the idea was that, well, no, this is not a administrative or political move to go after the white guy, so in an issue of fairness with the people of color who were in that group. But we now, we've learned ever since, and this was months and months ago, that he was truly the victim here, that he was responding to the assaults and the horrible verbal and racist attacks against him, against the white guy. And I'm sorry, when when you have a case like Alea Tchairvinsky and Terry the they're kind of cover from the same cloth. It's like we're just looking for a scapegoat here, we're looking for we want to make everything appear fair when it's really not. I mean, you can fight for fairness and equity, inclusion, all those things, wonderful things because I truly believe that you know who you are, who you're born, what color you're born, or with gender, whatever it might be. As no, doesn't ensure the quality of the individual, the quality of the character. And doctor King was right about that, you know, judge people in their merits. For God's sakes, aren't we over the whole skin color, gender identity nonsense. But some of the same people fighting for that will use that as a stone to throw against people who may push back on them. And I don't think that's going to change anytime soon. But here's Tchavinsky. The evidence indicates that he was a victim, yet we're going to prosecute him anyway. How'd that end? It end with a dismissal? So what did we learn from this whole thing? The fact that it's pretty clear with Tchavinsky, with Terry Thiji, that there's a lot of political motivation in here and a lot of underhand politics that are involved in the decision making in which they say is transparent and crystal clear. And meanwhile we had these two things I see better than I hear. Let's put it that way. Cobra's on at ten oh six this morning on the show on seven hundred w welw and then Bauki to talk about how this what this means for me and you in the workplace, how to cover your You know what we are in the spring season. I can tell because we have day baseball today, the first day game of the year. Got the Pirates and Paul Skeens and the Reds and Ander Rabbit and that's a twelve forty start. Weather pending here on the Home of the Red seven hundred ww. Seems like they're gonna it might be the laid start this morning, but you know, the rain is guy, it's gonna be heavy for a minute, but it might be hit or miss. So we'll see. We'll see how works out. It's spring, you know, and you know we'll see goods spring. I don't know about you, but I'm getting ants at our house that I've never seen before. And I guess this year because of the winter that we had that ant invasions as common as they are, they're super common, but this time of year, especially with the winter we had, apparently it's a bad ants season. You may have discovered ants in your home, and not the au n t ants, the a nts little pests because they look for two things. I look for moisture and they look for food. And once it's started warms up, the colonies wake up. They expand they scout. They're trying to claim more territory. And shower last night and my wife has is bougie old school bar soap and the old school soap dish, and I think it's got olive oil something in it anyway, and I look, I'm like, what what is on that thing? I pick it up and there's ants all over the bar of soap, Like what? Well? That was an easy fix with the water on and all that, but I was like, why would ants want to eat soap? Stupid things had a piece of I don't know, and wrapped in saran wrap was banana bread or something like that, and the little piece of it and that had the ants and in their ants were nowhere else and there was a little tiny microscopic ants too, by the way, And so the best thing you can do being you know, mister diy here on the station. The best product I think I have found that I would you that I use it somewhere else to is called Tarot liquid ant bait traps. Those are pretty good. And what happens is you got to be patient for these things. Takes about a week or two for everything to work, because the ants will carry the bait back to the queen and the colony. It'll kill the colony. And yeah, you know, you can kill the the trail of ants inside the house all you want, but you want them to work for you. So think of it this way, is that they are poisoning themselves, some stupid ants. You know, you can spray all the raid you want around it, They're still going to come back at some point. And I know some people will use like I think it's peppermint oil and white vinegar and stuff like that, but that's all temporary. And certainly we love to use natural products when you can, but if you have to find anything better than teror liquid ant, bate. And then around the perimeter, which is outside your house, especially areas along liqu the garage door is entry points, foundation doors, things like that. You spray a barrier around that of some sort of liquid insecticide like an Ortho home defense or something like that, and around the garage door too, and you do it. You do that outside. Don't use that stuff inside. That's the outside stuff. Uh, and if it rains like it's going to today, then you've got to reapply that. So you kind of got a window there a few days to do that. So it's got to soak in. And there's also you know, some crystals and things you can use as well, and I suppose you can use the natural options, but the chemicals work pretty good. So you make that barrier around the house and then inside you do the bait and it's gonna take it's gonna take a minute for the ants to go away, but they will. Uh. And those are the small tiny answer. Seeing the carpenter ants and the bigger ones and the special ones with wings, that's a whole different situation you got. You see, you know, you see ants with wings. Those are carpenter ants. That's different. They those are the ones tunneling in wood and causing structure to termites. And that's when you need to call a pest control professional just top of my head. So use the perimeter spray, use the bait inside, and you should be good to go. But man, the ants are everywhere this year because of the winter that we just had. But that means the soil is warming up and we are this close to it being summer. Believe it or not, at some point summer will return. So we had a couple of eighty degree days there. Pretty good, pretty good. I mentioned Reds Baseball Day twelve forty and Rabbit Paul skeens, we'll have the call for you, Tommy throw all the Cowboy got that going for you down at GABP and the Reds got stung last night pretty pretty badly. Williamson came in to bitch for the Reds. Listen to the pregame show and he was talking about, Yeah, I feel so good, I lose I'm ready to go. I can't wait to start. This is gonna be awesome. Gets in there and just absolutely rocked. Did not have it from the jump, and the Reds took it on the chin last night. So hopefully they can make that up and win back to back series for the first time. I think it feels in forever that we started to open, you know, the start of the season off on the right path here, you know, take two or three, you're doing pretty damn well. Do not want to drop the series to the Pirates though, So Abbot's got his work cut off for him, and hopefully maybe some long balls today when we get started just about twelve forty so I mentioned that Ken Kober is coming up and then Julie Bauki Julie on the job. She'll analyze the Terry Fiji report we'll get and that Sarah lisill drop by with the Snort report. It will be the outside pitch before the inside pitch here on the Home of the Red seven hundred WLW. Also a Dean Regas was on earlier and something else happening tonight because the game will be over. If you're looking for something six twenty four tonight, so far it is on and that would be the Artemis two launch. Dean Regas from Astrodean dot com formerly the Observatory in Cincinnati, Cincinnati's astronomer will be on. Was on to talk about that a little bit earlier. And you know, it's interesting why we're doing this thing now and again, and I think it's fair to ask, you know, forty four billion dollars and we're just gonna fly a circle around the moon and come back, why are we doing this? Okay, at some point maybe we do go to Mars. And forty four billion dollars is a lot of money to do something we did fifty something years ago. Think, all right, we did that already. This is pretty I think it's fair to question this, quite honestly, in that, Okay, we did this fifty two years ago. The technology is better, the science is better. Therefore it's going to be much safer to do this. So if we did it fifty two years ago, why are we doing it again? I thought the whole point of the Space Shuttle was to do this stuff, and we've gotten rid of that program. And the idea was, hey, we could live in space and say, okay, great, now we're going to go back to rockets again and do that. And this is ahead of I guess maybe a Mars landing in twenty forty. At some point, you know, it's cool stuff and things come out of the space where like this one they're doing something like an organ on a chip is what I saw. I'm not sure what that actually means if that's a if that's a appetizer organ on a chip like liver and potato chips, or it's actually a human organ that's on a microchip, which is pretty cool, and what that means for the future. You always get something good out of it. It just takes a while. It's the point of this whole thing. So six twenty four tonight and in the window there, I'll be the weather in Florida right now for this launch looks like a lot better for them, that is us for baseball at twelve four hopefully fingers crossed here on the home of the Red seven hundred WW, Cincinnati. Do you want to be a plenty on seven hundred WLW. It's often said that if a police officer wants to pull you over and they're looking for a reason why, they'll find something. They'll find tall light out, something blinking, touch the fog line, touch center line, signal, to early signal too, something of those like that, if they want to they're looking to pull you over, the pull you over? Did this just happened to Terry Thiji in a much bigger sense, of course, Cincinnati releasing a bombshell report on the police chief in the police chief in Limbo may have not been fired yet and after six months, roughly six months, thirty two witnesses and now a verdict that could end your career. This is what the investigation found. This is what an attorney called a shameful hatch at job the information is out and some of the highlights we'll get into with Ken Kober fopre president on the show on seven hundred WLW. Safe to say, Ken that there's not much love lost here. I know the rank and found that big fans of Terry Thiji. But everyone hates their boss in America pretty much, don't they yees?
Speaker 7: Yeah for the most part, that's true. And your chiefs are no exception. You have half the rank and file will love the chief and the other half won't. Let's just just what society is.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So this investigation, I'm pretty thorough with Frost Brown, Todd Gibbons did and talk to thirty two that they interviewed thirty to forty two. A couple people obviously did not want to go on a record. A lot of people are nervous about this. The report concludes Terry Thigi has not been an effective leader of the department. Again, she has not fired at this time. It's an ongoing personal matter. Whatever the hell that means. Six months later, that she was too old school, pretty authoritarian and rigid. Her communications style LA like transparency, distrust. There's a strong culture of retaliation inside a CPD, and that if she allegedly blocked City Hall, and that would include the city manager and the assistant city Manager from communicating with her command staff directly. I had to go through her, and this of course started to unravel during the violent summer that we just had, and it became an untenable situation. Oddly enough, coincide, coinciding with the election. And so that's the political context, that's the facts of the matter here, let's jump into the bones of this thing. The report says that she rejected the Mayor's office of double overtime pay, citing a potential collective bargaining violation. Basically, she said that the city wanted double time for officers. We're going to work the hell out of you. She said, Well, I want my men and women to work the hell out of and they need some time off and they should only get time in a half as well. Did you ever consult you with the FOP about that? And was she right?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 7: What we did talk about was the forced overtime that city Hall wanted to put upon people, specifically to walk in areas of Vine Street and Main Street and over the Rhine that quite honestly just weren't having problems when she talks about the data, the data did not suggest in those blocks that they should be patrolling forced to work over time. And that's she said, I'm going to I'm going to go the line, these cops are overworked. I'm not going to force them to work more.
Speaker 3: Well, the cops were you're rank and file though, were they leaning more towards hey, I get extra money, I get double time, or going, hey, thank god, I can't work these many hours I had to manage. It was fairly divided. But what was the mindset generally speaking of the rank and file.
Speaker 7: Then for the most part, people are just burned out, and they're like, listen, we're working enough as it is. You have you have a pretty small faction of the department that consistently works overtime. You know, with this new generation of cops, a lot of them prefer, you know, work life balance and they would rather be home instead of working. And then there's there's some that are like, yeh, I'll work, I'll work all the time. But you can't continue to go from that same pool of people. And then now you're going to tell them now not only hey, thank you for volunteering for all these hours, but now we're going to order you to work more, and that was something that a lot of officers were upset about.
Speaker 3: The report describes a strong culture of retaliation and side the force, are your members telling the same thing? And how long has it been going on?
Speaker 7: Well, listen, I've been here twenty six years. There's been people that have complained about retaliation for the last twenty six years. I've been here, and you talked to retire guys that came before me that have always complained about the same thing. You know, retaliation is something that certainly has to be proven, not just you know, suspected of. But I would say that under her leadership it was no different than any other leadership.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I mean there's cases you go back that are still being said, the Pettis case and others where it's you know, a case of maybe discrimination, but that seems to pop up often with labor relations inside police forces Cincinnati notwithstanding, No.
Speaker 5: You're absolutely right.
Speaker 7: I mean, there's there's always been this element of people being unsatisfied for one reason or another. I mean there's people that have that passed up for preferred assignments that believe that they were wrong for one reason or another, and it's it's something that unfortunately is just part of police culture. And I think trying to use that as an example of why you know she was an an effective leader is just very misguided.
Speaker 3: Witnesses told investigators who are nervous to be interviewed they feared backlash, career consequences, et cetera. Is that a common fear? How widespread is that with your membership?
Speaker 7: I think a lot of people just want to come to work and do their job. And in this particular case, there were some that just refused to interview and a couple of the men I talked to you, so listen, I'm just a po I'm here to do a job. I don't want to get involved in city hall politics. I don't. I don't have anything to say. And I think it was less about necessarily retaliation from the police department as it was just I don't want to be involved in this because the reality is, what's going to happen now. These names are going to be released, and once they're released, you know there's going to be depositions, there's going to be personnel jackets requested, all of these things, and it's just something that cops just don't want to deal with it, ken.
Speaker 3: Co But the report says morale has improved under interim Chief Henny. Is that a fact?
Speaker 7: I think if you ask the cops that we're dealing with thousands of people in the streets fighting on Thursday, they would probably tell you that morale is still a challenge, you know. I think there there are certainly things that Chief Henny has done that has has helped to make things more positive. But you have to understand that he's also still under our collective barneting agreement, so there's only so much that city Hall could do to him if he does something they don't like, Whereas you know, Chief Biji and other permanent chiefs before are constantly under the thumb of city Hall and you're making those decisions. So I mean, I think it's like anything else. If you ask after the department if they were satisfied the Chief hennies here, I think they're gonna say yeah. I think if you ask certain people they would be yeah, maybe maybe this isn't the greatest idea, but that's normal. That is a completely normal scenario for anybody that's in charge of the police department.
Speaker 3: Ken Cober is a president of the FOP Queen City Lodge joining the Scottsland Show. Here seven hundred WW on the Fiji report coming out the former chief, the chief in Limbo, if you will. It took almost six months, Kenkober. And it was only nine pages. And that strikes me as I've seen reports like this where it just goes on and on and on. It it's like a it's like the Bible, right, this is only nine pages. Did you see anything in there that was news to you that surprised you or shocked you?
Speaker 7: Yeah, there were some things that were in there, and whether they're true or not, I don't know, because obviously I wasn't a party to it. But problems with command staff officers and the chief, the stuff about the city manager and the mayor and the assistant city manager, the chief blocking things, I certainly questioned, if they knew that she was purposely obstructing communication, why didn't they do something about it when it happened. Why are we waiting till now months later? And the interesting part about this entire investigation that none of these interviews were recorded. They were purposely not recorded. They were told you are not allowed to record these interviews and we're not going to record them. We're simply going to take notes that, in my opinion, lacks a whole lot of transparency. I mean, you look at these officers going to Internal Investigation Section. Interviews are recorded, they go to the citizen's complain Authority, they're recorded. My god, we put body cameras on cops, We have cameras in cars. Everything these alcers do are recorded. But now they want them to participate in this investigation involving city Hall. And now all of a sudden, no, no, no, we're not going to record anything that doesn't pass the smell Testomy.
Speaker 3: Is that more about the retaliation fear that that very fewer people I guess would testify if that were the case, and said, hey, listen, I'll talk to you, but you write it down. I don't want my voice recorded. Then that can get leaked out. And now we have audio evidence.
Speaker 7: No, this was up the request of Frost, Brown and Talk. Actually it wasn't even a request.
Speaker 5: It was a.
Speaker 7: Demand that you not recorded and that they're not going to record it. And here's the thing. All of this is going to come out eventually anyway, because everybody's going to be deposed. I mean, assuming that the chief fire or yo, she ends up getting fired, she sues the city. All of these people that interviewed are going to be subject to deposition, so it's all going to come out anyway. No, everything in this report was witnesses said, Witnesses said, witness is said, and there's really going to be no proof of what they said other than notes that someone supposedly took.
Speaker 3: Uh Fiji herself. Obviously it's the thing's a lightning rod for her as well, and all the trouble gets thrown at her feet because it's an easy excuse. You know, wind blows off lids off of garbage cans, Well, it's her fault. We can blame it. It happened on her watch, even though she had no hand in that. That's part of this thing. Her attorney, the very capable Stephen m called us sing a hatchet job. Do you agree with that?
Speaker 7: Knew it was going to be from the beginning. You put somebody on administrative league two weeks before an election, and then it takes you six months to figure out whether somebody was effective or not. You know, if somebody who is throughout their career, if they if she had all these problems with City Hall. Why wasn't anything documented before this? It just doesn't make any sense. We we all know why this occurred. You know this was this was a political blunder yet again by the city and it's well, we'll see how this ends up in court. But I would suspect that she's probably going to do pretty well for herself.
Speaker 3: I would say, if it's a blunder, it worked out pretty well for him because of aftab On down all got reelected.
Speaker 7: Well, I think that was that was a foregone conclusion. If if they would have kept her, I think the election would have been the exact same way. But I think that someone over at City Hall got nervous and thought that maybe this would help re elections. But the reality is, I don't think it had any impact one way or another.
Speaker 3: You did our expectations because we were pretty so much seed hidehide on most things. Ken cober U President the FOP that that we're out of touch with what the citizens want. Because if all this is going on and they just re elect the same people they had before that, that and by pretty wide margins too, that tells me this is what the residents want. Are we are you?
Speaker 5: Are you?
Speaker 3: Fighting. Are you trying to push a boulder uphill?
Speaker 7: Well, I mean, it's funny that this is what the citizens want. Yet when they just did this survey and they talk about how safety has to be prioritized, they're afraid to be in their own neighborhood. But yet they they've voted in the exact same people. So clearly this is what they want. And at this point, I think we need to just sit back and go this is what they want, this is what they get. You know, the old adage of you get, you get the government that you deserve and that you elect is absolutely true. And clearly they're okay with the things are going on in this city. So you know, at this point, you give the voters what they want.
Speaker 3: Ken Kober, you're rank and file. They get scrutinized all the time, your pos and opt the food chain. Did it surprise you or is it pretty commonplace that all of these bad things came about Fiji is the reason why they suspended her and ultimate problem of fire and cut her a big check. It's performance based. She had had a review a performance review in seven years, and yet they threw this out there like she's supposed to know she'd never been corrected on any of this. Is that common?
Speaker 7: Well, listen, here's the always been the problem with the city, and everybody wants to blame the FOP for defending its members. You know, when they get suspended, when they get terminated, and all of a sudden, these suspensions go away. People get reinstated for their jobs and they're terminated. And it's all because the city historically has done a terrible job documenting things with people that they say are problems. And this is no different. You have somebody that has spent thirty five years here, Absolutely nothing has been documented. There's never been anything saying, hey, you need to do a better job. Not a performance of value. How can you improve on your performance if you're not told the things that you need to improve upon.
Speaker 3: And I think that also gets back to the witness. They don't want a paper trail, they don't want evidence people testifying. It's you know, if if there's no permanent record of this, whether it's a performance evaluation or you can always move the line right, you can you can take that information and tweak it and use it to see how you fit. It's manipulative, is what it is.
Speaker 7: Absolutely and That's where I said, the lack of transparency this investigation, it's just it's it's staggering. Now, whether those were the rules of engagement for Frost Brown Todd, which very well I would suspect would be the case, because as far as I know, they're a very very reputable law firm. But then again, I also understand that you know, you're hired by a client and they say, hey, this is how you want they this is how we want you to do this, these your marching orders, this is what you do. Completely understand that it's just the the entire thing, just transparency, and that that I think is ultimately where I think the city is going to be most vulnerable when you get into any kind of litigation.
Speaker 3: The reason why lawyers are called counselors is they counsel they can't actually force you to do something hit their consultants basically, so if the marching orders are, hey, we don't want any recordings of witnesses, and this is why we want the investigation to go, that's the context in which your employer, in this case, the City of Cincinnati, sets forth to the law firm. The report also says that Terry Thiji Block City Hall from communicating directly with the assistant chiefs and the command staff. Did you at the FOP Ken Cobra ever raised concerns over that chain of command break down.
Speaker 7: I'd never heard that, you know, Like I said, I'm in a little bit different position just because yeah, I'm an FOP leader, but I'm not in the command staff. I mean, I'm sure there's certain things that had been kept for me on purpose, and I get it that's kind of the relationship between union leaders and you know, leaders from the police departments of that that wouldn't I mean, as far as me being left out, it doesn't surprise me a bit. I mean I fully expected. But if that's something that city Hall knew was going on, then they never addressed it. That's on there.
Speaker 3: Multiple witnesses described the nepotism favoritism in that as a huge problem inside CPD. Then even pre Day's Terry Fija, I think that said that report. Is that a fair characterization.
Speaker 7: I think it's gone on forever. I know the example that was used with her nephew, who's the lieutenant our department. He was the only one. They made him the legal liaison after he went to law school. Passed the bar. He was the only one at the time that I'm aware of that had a law degree. It made complete sense to put him in that position. So I guess that's what they're going to try to use and say that this was favoritism and nepotism. But you know, there's been accusations of that for as long as I've been there, certainly long before I was there, and I'm sure it's going to be at least accused of long after I'm gone.
Speaker 5: Time.
Speaker 3: We have a community activist in Iris Rawley who is not a big fan of what you guys do for a living, and the opposite is true whose son works for her, and yet there's no cris of nepotism there.
Speaker 5: Hmmm.
Speaker 7: Kind of interesting, isn't it?
Speaker 3: Ken Kober, What do you see? What do you see shaking out from this?
Speaker 5: All? Right?
Speaker 3: So they got you can find anything on anybody, right, I mean, if you if Frost they hired Fraud, if the Vatican hired Frost Brown Todd Gibbons to investigate the Pope, you think he was dirty as hell, because you're there going to find dirt on you. I mentioned the pretext of a stop for example, you want to pull a subject over. You know, you can find something that they're doing driving in a car in order to initiate that stop. That the same is true here. What do you think comes of all this? They just wind up settling and we're talking millions and millions of dollars here for Chief Thiji.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean it's hard to say. I mean, I don't think there's a scenario where she comes back, and I certainly I don't blame her. I don't know how you would be able to come back and work in this kind of environment, knowing that the things that have been done to you over the last six months. I think it's likely the city is going to end up terminating or be followed by a lawsuit in three years from now, you know, we'll be sitting here talking about what the results of this lawsuit are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then the people who cut the check or council people go, well, I wasn't here, you know. The favorite thing is, well, I was elected, then, I was on council, then I wasn't mayor then and you know, you have got cover and so it goes. But overall, though, what effect does this have on the rank and file officers? You represent the FOP Kencobra And what about Chief Henny. I mean, he's got to be looking over his shoulder too.
Speaker 7: I would think, well, yeah, I think that whatever decision they make, right, wrong or indifferent, it needs to be made the men and women of this police department. They deserve to know who's going to be in charge of this police department going into the summer. We know it's going to be a long, hot summer. We know that, you know, things like Opening Day are likely going to occur again, We're going to be seeing protests almost every weekend as the weather warms up. They have a right to know who's going to be in charge. Like Chief Henny, he should be knowing whether or not he's going to be here, he's not going to be here. Those are decisions that need to be made immediate. Like I said, what regardless of what those decisions are, it's owed to these men and women of who's going to be in charge of this place.
Speaker 3: I will say in final, final point here, they're throwing the crime problem with Terry Thigi. She mishandled everything and we had the violence, the brawl downtown, we had Fountain Square and others. But ever since she has been quote unquote terminated for the last six months. It's not like we've not had We've seen crime go down and violent crime as a result, whether it's three takeovers, mass shootings and the like. Pretty much this is what we wind up get the opening Day Stampede, if you'll call it that. And this shows me it's not a problem with the chief. It's the culture and the climate. I know for a fact that you know, the city didn't want to like the idea that Fiji was attacking judges and saying they got to do a better job, or when she's out there being Chief mema talking about how kids need to be held responsible by their parents. City didn't want any part of that, which is shocking because that's where it starts.
Speaker 7: Without a doubt, and as long as we have this lack of accountability, this is going to continue. It doesn't matter who you make the chief, it doesn't matter any of this, it doesn't matter who's in leadership. Until the court system decides to hold people accountable for their actions, we're going to see this and it's likely going to get worse before it gets better.
Speaker 3: He's Ken Cober, president of the Queen City Lodge of the FOP. Ken, thanks for jumping in this morning. I appreciate you. I know you're busy as hell and probably extremely tired about talking about this topic. This won't be the last time, brother, appreciate.
Speaker 7: It all good thanks, thanks for there to go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let me get an update and we're running late, but good stuff there with Ken. Well pivot. Julie Bouk is here a career sure if it's Julie on the job from an HR and workplace type of environment, and she's an expert in that. What lessons you learn from what happened to Terry Thiji that you can apply in your workplace, whether it comes down to performance reviews for example. Chat with her next about it right after news on seven hundred WW helping you put the big P in profession. Here's our career, Sir Julie Balk. Yeah, very relevant discussion I just had on Ken Kober, President of the FOP. Some interesting insights into this nine page report issued by the city via Frost Brown Todd Gibbons relative to the conduct of Terry Thiji, the former police chief. I think it's safe to say former. Although they said, well she had been fired yet it hasn't been fired. It's an ongoing person on matter. We haven't fired her. We're still paying her a two hundred and three thousand dollars salary. Presumably though these are grounds for dismissal. He broke it down from police terms. But what can me and you in the regular workplace in the not public sphere? Oh maybe you have a public job. I don't know, but yeah, we all have someone to answer to. Presumably unless you own the company, that doesn't apply to you. But maybe you can learn something here for all of us. It has to do with performance reviews and how you know when you were on the radar before you're actually on the radar. On that is Julie Balki our career shure. But welcome, good morning, How are you?
Speaker 6: Good morning?
Speaker 8: Yes, as you might imagine, I have thoughts and opinions on this.
Speaker 3: I would hope you would. The city went seven years without giving Terry thg the police chief, a formal performance appraisal or review. From an HR standpoint, how does that failure complicate any attempt to terminator?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 8: Absolutely, this is you know. I read the whole thing and really pulled out some of the key points, which frankly are not any different if you take it out of the police department and put it in any corporation or university. The things that they found were signs of poor leadership no matter where the leader works. And so there's a lot of commonality between what this study found and what and what is commonly known as poor leadership.
Speaker 4: I think the biggest mistake they.
Speaker 8: Made is you don't let you don't let seven years go by and have someone out there thinking they're the best leader their department has ever had, whether it's a corporation, a university, or a police department, and then blindside them with data that says or information that says quite the opposite. That is unfair to her. And it's that's one thing that has to be changed because now we're in a situation where it's costing a city so much money to go back. I mean they paid, I'm sure Frost, Brown, Tod Gibbons, you know, a party. Penny just put this to the study and it didn't have to be that way. You know, there was a culture survey that was done. It's noted in the report where there was a lot of this similar feedback that that she got was in the culture report of a few years ago and so, but then nothing was really done with it, and so it sounds like it's a little bit of a who's on first here. I'm not sure who was responding.
Speaker 3: They're making it up as they go along. I don't get that. I don't get that suspicion. I know if you had okay, there's a cultural problem. But again, if you look back at the history of chiefs in recent times in Cincinnati and Ken Cobra, the FLP said this, Look, it's your job, if you're a worker, not to like your boss. I mean, how many people more people hate their boss and love their boss in America even tolerate their boss. That's probably true, more so when it comes to union representation with the rank and file what they want versus what the administration of the chief want. And so I'm sure that if you look back historically, whether it's Ken Blackwell, whether it's Elliott Isaac, and I can go on and on, that there are people who are discontent with leadership. That just kind of goes hand in hand and the culture. It's a cultural or got a cultural problem. But if you don't act on that report in that timeframe, what winds up happening then is you would assume, if you're the leader, it's like, okay, well they's some bad things, but clearly my boss, and this would be the mayor and the city manager, they're okay with that. Then all of a sudden of the blue, you get called back from a conference in Denver and go, hey, we got to talk. We loved you yesterday. You know, yesterday we couldn't live without you. Starting today, we're going to try. That's what I get out of this. And that's just going to cost b Expires more money because they're going to settle this.
Speaker 8: Absolutely. So you should never not know how you're doing. You should never not know how you're perceived. And she is in and any police.
Speaker 4: Chief, buyer chief, you name it.
Speaker 8: They have so many different so many different contingency or so many different contingents too, that are that are. You've got the union, you've got the officers themselves.
Speaker 1: You've got the city, you've got the.
Speaker 8: Leadership of your organization, you've got the public, you've got the media, and so those.
Speaker 1: Types of jobs.
Speaker 8: You have to accept that you're never going to be beloved or just not. It's it's a if they yeah, it's you're never going to get there. But if you if people see that you've taken feedback, that you've asked for and taken feedback, and you are searching for ways to address that feedback openly and not in a I'm going to get you sort of retaliatory way, then people are so forgiving because they.
Speaker 1: Get that you're not perfect, you know.
Speaker 8: And so it's it's in a lot of ways, it's it's a very tough job. And I think there's when I read this and I'm reading, like what the key points were? You take those and you say, all right, what what's the definition of someone who's not who's not.
Speaker 5: A good leader?
Speaker 8: It's all there, All those points are there. But it should she have known that, well, you know, it was in the culture survey. But if you try to give someone feedback and they just put their you know, put their hands up like no, literally or figuratively, I'm not gonna I'm not gonna take this, I'm not gonna then you give up. And so you can see why she thought she was doing a great jobs. Lack of feedback does not mean you're doing a great job.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and she had no idea that her job was in jeopardy until the thirteenth of October, and that tells you everything you need to know about of the city manage this employer relationship, which means it's going to cost you, mister and missus taxpayer, a hell of a lot of money to make this thing go away. But we've seen this act before time and time again. The transparency is lip service down there at city Hall. The report documents a culture retaliation and the witnesses are thirty something witnesses said, I fear consequences for cooperating with you the investigators at a law firm, as an HR professional. How serious a liability you think that is, Julie, regardless of what happens to Terry Thiji, that seems to be a liability issue on the city's part.
Speaker 7: To me, absolutely yes.
Speaker 8: Anytime you've got a situation and where people are afraid of speaking up and it comes from it can come from a lot of different places. Either I'm afraid of retaliation and it could be a combination. The second is, why would I speak up. It's not going to change anyway. I spoke up once and everybody ignored me. And so when you think about it, you and I've had this conversation multiple times about top down leadership. I know, I'm I said, so, this is what this is what I do it because I said so is maybe it worked before. Maybe it did, but we are in a new generation and so they do not They do not deal well with because I said so. They want an explanation, they want to understand, they want to feel like they're on a team.
Speaker 1: And that is not unreasonable.
Speaker 8: And that's that's what I think a lot of times with these structures where it's very much a ladder, where it's very top down, you maybe you've gotten away with leading that way and being really buttoned up and quiet and do what I say, But that's not going to work moving forward in any work situation, regardless of whether you're a police department or a university.
Speaker 3: Julie balcare career suirpon this morning on seven hundred W talking about the dynamics of the Terry Fiji investigation by a law firm here locally nine pages of stuff that basically says she's not been an effective leader. And that's a pretty i think definitive legal distinction that term will not been an effective leader. That's costs or dismissal. But I contend you can find dirt on your best employee and give them cause and come up with reasons why. That's not the issue here. The question is the context of how this whole thing went down regards with the rank and file feel. If you don't have a performance review in seven years, you assume you're doing a great job, which she did, and then October thirteenth, well you're not doing a great job, and all of a sudden she's fired. And I think that is poor planning on the city's part. Furthermore, Julie Balk seven years. I think that's a big hang up for most of us listening. Go, well, I have a performance review. There's something called a PIP, a performance improvement program. Your company may call something different, organization might but once they write you a PIP, that means you're going to get fired. Basically, it's a performance improvement plan. You need to do this, this, this, this, and you can think you do all those things, but that doesn't matter. It's just a legal cya. What's going on. She didn't even have a performance improvement plan? If what usually leads up to that in a normal workplace, Julie Well.
Speaker 8: It's depending on what your job is. Maybe you're not meeting deadlines, maybe you have complaints from customers, maybe you're difficult and obstructive and the way you work, maybe you haven't kept your skills up. So there's a lot of things that lead you to that discussion. But I feel like, you know, the first time you're hearing that your job is that your your performance is less than what the organization wants it to be. If the first time you have any hint is a formal you've got ninety days to shave up or about sort of reports, than your organization's not doing their job. And the city could have so easily avoided this. As I read this report, there were multiple points when they could have easily resolved this and had what is of course a tough conversation. It says, you know, here's how your people feel about you, and maybe it's that culture survey. Maybe it goes to the city manager who then says, Okay, we're going to put together some teams help address this, and Chief, we expect you to be a part of the solution. And if all you're going to do is throw off walls and say they're the problem, it's not me, You're the problem.
Speaker 3: She's Julie Bowki. Our cur surpis so be advised you get a performance improvement plan and you better find a new job because that's a foregone crew. You don't really should come back from those. But if you're in business and you need to communicate and set expectations for your employees, to do employment reviews and let them know what's going on, certainly verbally is good, but also written is probably more important. Otherwise it's gonna cost you what's gonna cost the city. But it ain't there money. It's your money, which is also part of the problem. Julie Balki at the Balkigroup dot Com da UK e Balkigroup dot Com career coach, consultant and all around lovely person to hang out with my friend Julie Baki. We'll talk next Wednesday. Thanks again, Take care, take care. We have Reds baseball today, so we'll get the Reds good stuff in here in the second well, we'll start the outside pitch here on seven hundred WLW because we've got Reds roundup. We have Sarah Least come up eleven oh seven, setting up the inside pitch at eleven thirty six, setting up the ballgame at twelve forty Reds. Can they make it two series wins to start the twenty twenty six campaign. We'll find out. Andrew Rabbit Paul Sken's go at it from gabp here on the Home of the Red seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati. All right, we're working on borrow time here. It is a snort report on seven hundred w Alwit Sarah LEAs from The Kid Christ Show one O two seven EBN. We're sports and social media collide. We are limited time today because we have Red Spaceball coming up one half hour from Mark.
Speaker 1: Yes, twelve forty.
Speaker 6: First pitch for that one, Andrew Abbott versus Paul schemes.
Speaker 1: But can mother nature?
Speaker 6: That's the question behave today so we can get this one in.
Speaker 3: It might Yet, if you're going down for the game, yep, poncho would be recommended. You probably are gonna get wet. I don't know looking at it, gun, I wonder if they think they'll get this in. I mean it might, It may take a minute.
Speaker 1: I think they're gonna do their very best.
Speaker 3: Brown Screw has a tarp at the ready, and hopefully.
Speaker 1: Nobody gets swallowed. Up in that thing.
Speaker 6: I feel like every time a tarp comes out, somebody gets swallowed out.
Speaker 3: I'd your boy Williamson.
Speaker 6: Look last night, Welcome back to Brandon Williamson a really tough welcome.
Speaker 3: Back the entire I'm driving listening to Tommy interviewed Brandon Williamson. He's like, how do you feel? I've never felt this good in my life. I probably was not this good one I was born.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was so confident.
Speaker 3: I'm ready to go. I'm ready to rock and rolling right from the jump.
Speaker 6: And it was very obvious that he did not pitch last season, gave up six runs, and Tita left him out there.
Speaker 1: He's like, look, dude, you gotta work through this thing.
Speaker 6: So, uh, Red's not gonna sweep the Pirates like we thought they couldn't get it done last night.
Speaker 1: Eight to three was the final. So we got the rubber today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you know what, two of three? I have take two or three all day long.
Speaker 6: Hopefully as long as Andrew Robik can look a lot better than Paul Skeins.
Speaker 1: I mean, Paul Skins had a.
Speaker 6: Tough opening daycked, but I'm gonna blame his defense on that one. So we'll see. We know that Paul Skins is better than what happened to him.
Speaker 3: All James is a baller. I think he's gonna come out today and just absolutely go lights out here.
Speaker 1: He's going to be rolling.
Speaker 6: So we are heavily relying that our offense can slip on past him. Maybe we'll see another South Steward bomb because he's I've been staying hot. Ellie Da La Cruz looked good last night and I don't know who knows what could happen to me?
Speaker 3: I went to the Bread's Big too, no other way, that was fantastic at the Great American Ballpark and wait, wait thanks somebody our friends at key Bank.
Speaker 6: Oh you were in a fancy suite, fancy pant to do that? Yeah, you got to sit out underneath the stack with me.
Speaker 3: I went past the seven hundred W LW suite mean you no, and they said, no, you don't belong here. Get the hell out. So I'm also come on, I'll have some beers.
Speaker 6: I was like, can I sit in the Ihearts Sweet? I'll have clients text me like, hey, I'm in the Iheartsweet.
Speaker 1: I'm like, what's it like?
Speaker 5: Right? Right, right?
Speaker 1: But Brandon Williamson just shaking it off after last night.
Speaker 6: He goes, look, I'm gonna go hug my kids and forget all about this. And if you were watching the broadcast last night, his wife and his two beautiful little girls were in attendance hoping to see dad have a much better night.
Speaker 1: But again, you just you do have to shake it off.
Speaker 6: Hopefully we'll see a much better start out of him the next time. And speaking of getting a better start, Nick Lidolo, he's getting back after that blister. Tito said that Nick's gonna be making his rehab start for the Daytona tortugas on angle seconds after the blister on the left index.
Speaker 3: What's a tortuga. It's one of them Mexican real cheese.
Speaker 1: And get it topped with sulfa.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the turtles, the turtles, all right, So rehabs start and.
Speaker 6: Then so he could get back into that rotation by the time they hit up Miami next week if all goes well. I mean, we've seen how this guy recovers from blisters and it's not really been ideal in the past.
Speaker 3: Are we at Miami That's.
Speaker 1: Where we're headed next.
Speaker 6: Yep, they've got the Rangers this weekend and then they're in Miami next week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you're in Miami where it's hot and humid.
Speaker 6: Just like it was kind of out in Arizona with the heat not as much humidity.
Speaker 3: You just pitching cold weather areas, Like say, him from Milwaukee go to the Yankees.
Speaker 1: We can't like base his pitching off the weather. Otherwise we're going to get nowhere with this.
Speaker 3: Guy this season humid, probably you don't want to start him, and so is he just a cold weather pitcher save in from October.
Speaker 6: That means we're not going to see him pitching Cincinnati between the months of June all the way up through the end of August, because you know how much it sucks here in Cincinnati with that humid stuff.
Speaker 3: That's rough.
Speaker 6: But yeah, April six sets him at the fifteen day io end point. All of this over the blister, Yeah, the blister. The blisters are a beat.
Speaker 3: When he's on, when he's now, when he's not blistering, he's throwing seeds. So hopefully cross our fingers, Cross our fingers.
Speaker 6: I mean, we had talked about this last week. It's like, can't we just put a glove over this thing? And say get back out there.
Speaker 3: Only one obviously, but Chase Burns had a good outing the other day, so we're going.
Speaker 6: To taste up great. Red Louder looked great. I love what we saw from Andrew Rabbit on opening day. And of course our guy Hunter Green, we're not going to see him for quite some time. So the chips, he's got the chips in the bow.
Speaker 3: The chips. Got to get the chips fixed and hopefully all star break fingers crossed and you make a run.
Speaker 1: So hope, just get it done at the start of the season.
Speaker 6: Let's get it together because you know that injuries are the name of the game.
Speaker 3: That's sale Stewart. I thought, oh man, so fun.
Speaker 6: Well when he got hit in the wrist day that was opening day, right here we go, I'm like, that's our head er man over again. Uh huh yeah, South South Bend lights out. He's been such a joy to what when.
Speaker 3: He turned a double play the other night was fantastic.
Speaker 1: He's not playing like a rookie, that's for dam I'm sure kid.
Speaker 3: Uh uh, there's your rookie of the year right there. Salth Stewart.
Speaker 6: You know, it was like, I don't think he realizes that he's an actual rookie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it doesn't care.
Speaker 6: He does seem like he's having a lot of fun, and I'm having a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Our guy, au Haanio swore a.
Speaker 6: Hit a nice bomb during Sunday's game when we're at that one.
Speaker 1: It went way passed us into the moon. I don't know.
Speaker 6: I guess the new home run dance is like the six to seventh thing, because that's what Suarez was doing. I'm like, okay, our celebration has gone from the Viking to the money gun.
Speaker 1: Now we're six.
Speaker 3: Seven okay, and Gino eleven strikeouts one home run. That's good enough.
Speaker 1: That's what we need.
Speaker 6: That's why we brought him back for that one year contract.
Speaker 3: Basically, I was exposed to my wife the other night and go, what does he do?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 3: He strikes out a lot, Well, then why is he on the twice ball because he.
Speaker 1: Can hit mombs every now and then.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So basically what happens is he hits what if he's in the math mass on this one, All you gotta do is hit one home run. This see a three game series the rest. That's what he's doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, welcome back, Adam done. That's all as long as he can get it done.
Speaker 6: And he is the reason, the biggest reason for that win on Sunday. So that's why they were able to win that first series. I'm putting all of that on Gino. And at the end during that uh press or, I guess he was in the interview with Jim Day and he goes, have a good night, gem Gene.
Speaker 1: I love Sorez. He's my favorite.
Speaker 3: Sarah LEAs is here. This is the outside pitch on seven hundred W. Inside pitch starts at about eleven thirty and we've got red spaceball today. It's Cincinnati and Pittsburgh fingers crossed over. The weather got some nasty stuff on the horizon here like in the one o'clock hour, but again it changes it. Since he who.
Speaker 6: Knows who knows, just give us a solid two and a half hours, we should be able to get in and get out.
Speaker 1: I mean with this pitching matchup could be really cool.
Speaker 3: We're going to the game today.
Speaker 1: I'll be there today.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 1: How long How in the moon sun.
Speaker 3: Deep hours did it take you to put on your makeup? And how she will make because you take seven hours.
Speaker 1: To trust me? Slony it's worse if I don't wear.
Speaker 3: It, but within thirty minutes of being out in this weather, it's gonna I don't even care. I don't well take hundreds of dollars in flesh.
Speaker 6: My makeup doesn't matter. It doesn't matter what I look like last. All that matters is what's trending on social media.
Speaker 3: Have you seen the Instagram pictures of Sarah? For God's sake, what's what's wrong with that? I'm just saying, it's like, dude, so it looks like you're not wearing makeup, that you're not all put together everything.
Speaker 6: I don't want to see me without it. It's way worse. It's bad with it, it's even worse. She looks more like Jim Gray Jim Day than maybe Jim Gray too.
Speaker 1: Really, I look like Jim like Jim.
Speaker 3: Day without makeup. Thanks, but there's hope for Jim Day then too, if you just put a little work in.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's there are so many comments.
Speaker 6: I'm just gonna let him go because when we're here to talk about what's trending on social media? Since Nice Sports, the Reds City Connect Jerseys. The Reds put that out yesterday on their social media. They said coming soon, so we got to see some reactions from the players. We talked about our guy Sal Stewart.
Speaker 1: He called them mad Aura, mad Aura. He walked and he said, mad Aura.
Speaker 6: Okay, how the door keep But I'm gonna let it go because it's su Stewart. They said coming soon. That's all we know.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 1: There have been some leaks out there.
Speaker 6: On social media, and these New City Connect jerseys are red and they've got.
Speaker 1: Like the Sea. It's all white and it's got like the Connect look to it. I think they are fun.
Speaker 6: I hope they pair them with red pants if that is indeed the actual New City Connect jersey.
Speaker 3: Is that why you're wearing your old City Connect gear today? I just want I just.
Speaker 6: Picked out whatever, I picked out, whatever was comfortable on babysitting dogs this week. It's got hair all over it. I don't even care. I'm not I just want to go see my team win today.
Speaker 3: I will say the hat. I'm not a fan of the sea on the hat.
Speaker 1: I love the Sea. I love the Connects sea.
Speaker 3: But I love the black jersey. Looks amazing.
Speaker 6: They're so slick. We'll see those appear for the first time this season. Next Friday night when the Reds are back in town and for the first postgame fireworks show. So all right good, but yeah, a lot of the players, their reactions are saying things like, yeah, these are sick, sweet clean.
Speaker 1: I don't know, all right, I think it'll look cool. You can't go wrong with red, black and white, honestly.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we've got that. We've got a good like color scheme going on here. So all right, there you go, all right, what else we got going on?
Speaker 1: The one bright spot in last night's game was the Tito speedo. Oh what I don't know if you were watching the broadcast, but you.
Speaker 3: Can't watch the broadc I gotta I guess it's ninety nine bucks for that. That's hundred bucks for the MLB, not.
Speaker 1: If you have Altifiber.
Speaker 6: Got to show ALTI Fiber and love glad I've got it.
Speaker 1: Sucks to be you because I got to see the Tito's speed out.
Speaker 6: But yeah, last night they were talking about how Tyler Stevenson walked into Tito's office the other day wearing like a robe and and He's like, hey man, we got to talk about something.
Speaker 1: And Tito's like, yeah, what's up? And he like opened up the robe and like, Tito Oliver is underwear.
Speaker 4: But.
Speaker 3: Because you can get the socks of it, so funny.
Speaker 1: So silly. I don't understand any of it, but it's just funny, he said. He laughed.
Speaker 6: But I guess at first he was a little nervous, like Tyler was very serious and he's like, yeah, like, what's up man, I'm thinking that maybe there was.
Speaker 1: An injury, Like, oh no, here we go, because.
Speaker 6: We know that Tyler's dealt with plenty of those before. But no, it was Tito's head all over his crutch. You know, Sincey's shirts is going to try to.
Speaker 1: Get in on that.
Speaker 6: Everybody one of those outside of my chains with the jersey cute. Okay, moving on to football. Do we have time for a little quick football star?
Speaker 1: Oh gosh.
Speaker 6: So Andrew Whitworth weighing in on how the Bengals can get better. And this is no surprise, we all know this, uh so, he said, I think the biggest problem has always been not being able to bring in the kind of guys that draft.
Speaker 1: Well, there you go, that's all it is, draft better and so and Whitworth.
Speaker 3: So we remedy that by just having the same people the draft.
Speaker 1: Yes, it looks like nothing will change.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, we got to get lucky.
Speaker 6: He's undone, Andrew Andrew Whitworth said, a franchise like Cincinnati, let's be real, they're not gonna live in a trade world and they're not going to overpay guys. So guess what, You're gonna have to draft well, and when you don't, the entire team suffers. And that's why it's been a big problem. That is all according to our guy, Andrew Whitworth. And of course, the draft starts on April twenty third. The Bengals pick tenth.
Speaker 3: Overall, tenth overall.
Speaker 6: Number ten, number tenumber hoping for a good one. I don't have any reason to believe that this would be a.
Speaker 3: Successful So there's no hope.
Speaker 1: That's right, there's I mean, it's there's always next year.
Speaker 3: You're okay, we're not going to spend a little bit, so we're gonna put a lot of resources in the front office and the scouting and all the Yeah, yeah, we really need to we really need to hit hit it up now, because.
Speaker 1: Someone should tell Joe Burrow to come back from La.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Almost time to go, baby.
Speaker 3: Sara release. It's a snort report every Wednesday morning. You can find her back in her hole and one of two seven EBN tomorrow morning. Yes, and she's going to the game right now. Look for her in section. Where are you going to be a score? Can't say?
Speaker 1: Can you in a fancy suite like you to be bothered?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 6: I slum it with my uh my hot dog in the in the outfield.
Speaker 1: Hold wet, wet dogs today.
Speaker 3: Dogs, it's wet dog day.
Speaker 6: Are hopefully we can get this matchup in because it's gonna be a really good one watching Paul Skeins and Andrew Rabbit.
Speaker 3: All Right, Andrew Rabbit, we'll get to see him.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 3: And Paul Sken's got rocked by Detroit. I believe it was Detroit.
Speaker 1: Hey, I'm blaming his defense.
Speaker 6: This dude suck, which is era of like a seventy six sixty.
Speaker 3: Seven and a half sixty seven point five era with one strike up that continues today.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Paul Skins is like, I'm just trying to get the heck out of Pittsburgh and get my way into some pinstripes.
Speaker 3: A chance to we'll see anyway. That is a matchup. Twelve forty first pitch of course, the inside pitch. Right after this update on the home of the Red seven hundred WLWD Cincinnati,