Speaker 1: Do you want to be an American idiot?
Speaker 2: Scott flown back on seven hundred WLW, something like one in five homes now have a video doorbell. It's amazing just how big this sector became and exploded after the last number of years. Ring Doorbell has made big news these past weeks with the Nancy Guthrie case and controversy over their Super Bowl ad. There's backlash there that caused them to rethink its technology on fears the surveillance society and Big Brother just simply going too far on This is the CEO of Vigilan Cybersecurity right here in Cincinnati. That would be Chris niheis Chris, Welcome back, Hey you Ben.
Speaker 3: Brother, Good morning, Scott. I've been great. How about you.
Speaker 2: I'm doing fine. Thanks. I think you know there's an overlaying topic here, but I'm the issue of cameras and cameras all over the place. I think it's fascinating and watching the Nancy Guthrie case and that we learned that you can have an inactive subscription for Ring or Nesta or whatever it might be, and the camera still is recording in this case evidence that's shocking.
Speaker 3: That is shocking.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think the the thing we have to realize here is that, you know, the cameras themselves don't have much storage on at all, almost nothing. So the only way for this video to have been recaptured after two weeks would be for it's to be stored somewhere. And so I think the thing that we have to really start to be aware of or think about is that subscriptions.
Speaker 3: May mean that you don't have access to the video or those files, but.
Speaker 4: It doesn't mean someone else doesn't have access to those videos or files.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I think cash Patel said they retrieved residual data located in back end systems. There's two there's only one person's conversation. You know what the hell that means, and it's you, Chris.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, right, So it could mean and more than likely than not, is that they're backing up that video. Because video when you when you don't have a subscription, what it does is it just streams back to the provider, so you can watch it through your app or get an immediate alert on your phone. It's not supposed to store it. But I think the way around that that some companies can do, either intentionally or unintentionally is they can do it under the aspect of a backup right while we were just backing up the same systems, and so that's how that file got there. So it's possible that that's how they reached out how they access it. Another aspect could be that they actually just store it for a certain period of time and then they just get rid of it, even though again you don't have access to it.
Speaker 3: Gives the subscription that they do.
Speaker 2: Because it's in the cloud, and once it goes in the cloud cloud, it's not your property or which makes it an interesting case in a critical question on the go three cases, we don't know if the FBI obtained a warrant for that footage from the doorbell camera. So do you know what the legal standards, I mean, what should the legal standards would be for law enforcement to access that data from smart home cameras? And and how often they actually the companies pushing back on these requests. I remember when it was came to unlocked locking Apple phone, remember the iPhone, and Yeah, there was a big k like, hey, we're not going to give you, We're not going to lock that. Well, you know, we're trying to get terrorists in this country that was years and years ago. But this is an extension of the same argument. Are are companies pushing back on requests that might be overly broad?
Speaker 3: A lot of them do.
Speaker 4: I mean, look at what Apple did in Europe. You know, they said, hey, okay, you know Europe wanted to unencrypt or have access to the encrypted that's a mess messages because Apple is one of the ones that I would say is one of the largest proponents for privacy, you know, and their their systems work well. Uh, the encrypture works so well that it pisses governments off. And in Europe they basically said, hey, we're going to shut you down unless you let us abass to And they said, okay, cool, we'll just let all of it be open. We won't even mess with you, and and and then they pushed back and said, okay, don't do that Apple, right. So I think where it comes down to is two data two aspects. One is where we haven't continued to talk about a conversation. Who actually owns data?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 4: If if I have a camera that I pay for and that records video or audio of my own or even emails or whatever, who owns that data once it goes into a different platform. And in the United States, you know, you know, outside of the United States, it's been legislated, right, you don't own the data.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: That's why I like, you have countries that have some of the largest surveillance states. Ever in the United States, we've handed that over to private companies in our terms and conditions.
Speaker 3: You know, I've talked about this before.
Speaker 4: No one reads their terms and conditions and they get surprised when their data is accessed if you hand that data over, and the terms the conditions say that that provider can do that to a law enforcement agent or anybody. Well, they don't need a warrant because you just gave rights to that data, right. So it really comes back to who owns that data and what's in the terms conditions of the things we signed. And in most cases, we're handing over our privacy for convenience. And you know, we'll talk about the SUPERWL out here in a second, but you know it's we do it out of compassion as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Uh he is Chris and I High, CEO Cincinnati based Vision and Cybersecurity. You're talking about the advent of video doorbell cams, whether it's nast or Ring, whatever the system is that you have, how it plays into the gu three case here where the subscription was inactive and there was still video because it's all in the cloud, and the ceo, I think it was the CEO of Ring told in an interview told the media The Guardian that there's a very distinct, distinct and marked difference between what you have access to and what the company has access to.
Speaker 4: What does that mean, right, I mean that's what the company is. That is this start was talking before. Is this difference between subscription and not when you when you sign up for a subscription and the subscription says, hey, it's going to record the state of a thirty t that's access. You're paying for access to your own data, right, You're paying for access to see what happened a week ago. Now that that organization can store that data for as long as they want to unless it's clear in the agreement with you, and in most cases these agreements are not clear and in most cases people don't read them at all. So at the end of the day, the company can store that data for as long as they want to, and in reality pretty much becomes there's in a lot of cases.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 2: It makes sense. I mean, you know there's there's gonna be things that simply the company can hang on. Do you just wonder how easy it is for government to get access to that information. Now, in this case, it's needed because you're trying to find a you a missing endangered person in the case of Nancy Guestry, but an everyday walk of life it might be an entirely different story. So you put these things, I mean I have them, and you probably have security cameras as well. I tend to err on the side of, hey, I've got the information or if I need to know what happened or something's occurring, I can be alerted to it. I'm not much in my private life that's going to warrant a federal investigation. So not thinking about killing anybody or capturing anybody anytime soon, So I think I'm covered. Is that a false sense of security?
Speaker 1: I think it is.
Speaker 4: It is a false sense of security for a couple of reasons. One, you don't have you know these things are so set, and forget that you don't really know when they're working when they're not.
Speaker 3: The second part about it is is that you know.
Speaker 4: This this would not have flown twenty years ago, right, and this has just been something that's over time. People have said, Okay, well I want convenience. My life is too busy, too fast. Instead of installing my own security system that I have that I have access to that doesn't have to go to the cloud, you know, people are going to these cloud providers and and you know, there's there's all these different features and things that pop up on these that connects your data to other people's data. It gives access to it in different ways that you're not you don't necessarily want, you know. I think if a lot of us just read what the actual terms conditions on some of these things say, you probably would think twice about it. But again, most people don't have time. They don't do it, they don't even have time to do it. So it's it's it's pretty interesting, how you know, we just are you know, our generation as a you know, click next and as septs and go right because we want something to go bad.
Speaker 2: Well, cameras have been. And I think the thing too is two things. First of all, the prevalence of the Internet of Things, because there's just so many you know, you can connect to a WI file, labor enabled toothbrush or toaster. I mean, what do I need to a toaster that took up the internet for? But it's cool, right, And then the other element is, uh, the cameras have become ubiquitous. You know, I'm old enough to remember when you know videocam quarterers came out. It was a big deal. But these were huge machines. And now, hell, there's one on your the screen of your monitor, on your computer, there's one on your you put one on your refrigerator, I've got your doorbell. Kids, it's it's on your phone. You use it all the time. So if it's that prevalent, you don't see it as a risk. You just see it as something that's part of the fabric of modern life.
Speaker 4: Right, Well, we'd be see our modern life, though, has become one of this aspect of speed and can speed to convenience? Right if I had if you and I had this conversation in nineteen ninety five, right, and I said, hey, Scott, you know we're going to go ahead and create a website so that everybody is going to upload all of their photos of extremely important events and even non important ones, even the ones where you're emotionally, you know, walking through something, whatever it is, we're going to be uploaded to a website at that point. We're going to store those forever. We're going to put a recording device in your home and record literally everything you say, and we're going to store that on servers. We're also going to put video cameras up around every single home in the United States, and we're going to record that as well. And we're going to put all three of those things together. And in fact, we're actually going to connect those devices together so that they can share Internet bandwidth and we can track devices as they move from device device. You would be like, no way, right orbit, but now, but that's exactly what I just described. You know, like we have you know, all of your your your cameras now right, there's just you know, people came up the sidewalk. It was actually on by default, you know when it first came out, where basically your device, if I have a if I have a nest or a ring and my neighbor has one.
Speaker 3: Those can connect together on Bluetooth.
Speaker 4: So what that does is it allows for people They called it sidewalk, so people on your sidewalk could access a very small bit of your network bandwidth. Well that sounds cool, right, Oh man, I'm sharing with my neighbors they're walking past. But when you look at how those things work. You know, your your dog, right, good of an RFID on it or or a device and and yet right and as it's walking through, as you're walking through the neighborhood, or your phone or whatever, all of these devices connect to blouses right as you drive through, so it can map where you go look at during COVID. You know, we opened up who we interacted with right, Like our devices, we could turn it on to see who we had contact with during COVID, so that that way it would map all those relationships, right and notify people immediately if someone was in touch with someone ouse at of COVID. And so it just goes back to is that in the United States we choose surveillances, right, whereas outside of the United States it's legislated. And I think that should be something we really think about, right, like why does it have to be legislated outside the United States, and why is it chosen fire people in.
Speaker 3: The United States?
Speaker 2: A great question as a jumping off point here, Chris and I heis's CEO of Cincinnati based Vigilant Cybersecurity, talking about the Nancy Guthrie case with a ring doorbell that was disconnected and they still able to get data. Ring to a Super Bowl ad the showcase what they called search Party. We're kind of what we're talking about with Apple Tech. Even though our Apple tag works basically it does share if you're an Apple enabled household, for example, that little tag that you put on your dog or luggage, you need to be near Wi Fi for that to work. And so if the dog's lost the neighborhood, somebody's going to have part of that network. As part of Apple's network, it's going to show, hey, the dog's over by this house, which is really cool but also frightening as far as tracking goes. Now Ring is taking us a step further with Search Party. So you may have seen the adder in the Super Bowl where it shows a dog that's lost in the neighborhood. And now they're using facial recognition, so you don't flock as the company that does the automated license plate reader's police agency to using for a long time, and now they do that with facial recognition, and so now hey, it's the shape. This looks like your dog, it looks like a Golden Retriever. It's its facial features. It was seen a couple blocks away on this Spring camera. They tie the network back in Are you happy to see the backlash? It came from that because people watching the Super Bowl ineborated drunk and eating piles of Wacamolean wings and ribs. Watch that one. Whoa, wha, whoa. If you can do without a dog, you can do it at a person. And the backlash was so huge that Ring has pulled their deal with Flock for that, right right.
Speaker 3: I think it's part of the audience too, uh you know, And you know.
Speaker 4: I think that was probably the worst place for being to put that out there first. But you know, the at the end of the day, you know, it's you know, it's a it just goes back to compassion, right, It's like, well, I want my dog to be found. I want my neighbor's dog to be found. Uh, you know, I want my you know what the next step is, well, what about missing kids?
Speaker 3: What about you know?
Speaker 4: And I and I'm you know, you know, I do a lot of keeping trashing investigations things like that that that's important to me, But I would not say that we need to put you know, facial recognition all over the place, uh access accessible to everybody at all times to be able to see what's happening in a home, right, Because there's there's there's good an evil in this world, right, And the good part is the compassion part, right. The bad part is the people that are going to use that in evil ways, right. And I mean just just look at what's happening with some of the f steam file stuff, right, Like you're starting to see that some of the people that ran some of these companies that have access to pictures or images allegedly right of children, right, and access to their addresses and all those things, and then they did these other things right, So it's like, well, what did you use what did that what did that information get used for? And that's the thing you just always have to think about, is that compassion is great, right, and we need to have compassion, and we need to do the right things to try to have compassion. We need to watch out for our team, our neighbors or friends. But you can't give up today for something that tomorrow could be used in some bad ways. Right With the wrong people are there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know there's also you mentioned it earlier briefly, but the consent question. So a lot of people bought these devices to protect package deliveries. For example, what about porch pirates or see, hey listen, somebodys are in my house, or did I leave my garage door open and look? Oh yeah I did.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: And now these cameras are part of a network and be searched by aar access by law enforcement. So did did consumers actually consent to that when they click degree on the terms of service document that we don't read.
Speaker 3: We'll do they do? Yeah, they do, they do.
Speaker 4: And that's that's with anything you know, you put you know, certain routers on your net, on your home wifie, you know, or you put certain applications, certain technologies. Now, there's a lot of technology out there that says, hey, we're not going to surveil you at all and in our terms and conditions right right, there's a lot of technology you can buy, even for camera, you know, home camera systems that don't send things out to the cloud, and if they do, it's to a privatized place that only have access to and it's encrypted. So it's just more as consumers, you have to choose what you want. It just goes back to the fact that we're a fast moving society and we're not moving fast, you know. I think we're moving faster towards convenience and faster towards innovation right now. But I think but the other part of that is we trade so much because we will go back and say, well, I didn't have time to know, and you know, that's a that's a that's the scary place for people that you know can take advantage of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, final point on this bottom line for our listeners, Chris. If someone owns one of these wireless doorbells or give video doorbells, what should you do? And if you're considering buying one, what what you ask the companies that maybe they don't want to answer. How do you find that information out what they're doing with this, and how much time should you invest in that?
Speaker 4: But I think the first thing is I would I would just read the term subsistions first. Make sure you're okay with it, because at the end of the day, they're not going to change it for you, and you know, so you're not gonna be able to call them up and have a red line it or modify it, and just know what you're giving up and just be okay with that. I would also teach your kids this too, because some of the apps that are targeting kids snaps, things like that. You know, as far as consumers, they they are wide open with privacy. And that's one of the reasons why a lot of kids are targeted for attacks around romance. They're targeted for relationships and things like that because their generation is so used to everybody knowing everything, even to the point where life three sixty. You know, colleges people just share their their location all the time. So I would say teach them as well, so that they know because they're watching you, and they're watching you entertain these privacy matters and they're going, oh, then this is okay to not have any privacy, and I think that's not a good thing to teach our kids. The second thing is, you know, so first read those firms conditions to teach your kids about that not everything needs to be public. And then third, make sure that you know if you if you don't want to have those those things in your life, don't feel like you're you're blocked in right. A lot of these technologies will say, well, this is the only place to get it. Unless you accept our terms, then you can't get anywhere else. And that may be true, but don't give into that. Right you know, if you if don't trade your privacy because you're worried about something else, you can go out and buy technologies that have in home systems that do exactly the same stuff alert you the same way they'll do recognition and it stores all the data in your home. So I would just say, is pause in your life and become a consumer that really makes the decisions that you want, not the ones that you feel you have to do.
Speaker 3: Got it?
Speaker 2: Chris Nihei, CEO of since Iva based Vigilant Cybersecurity, Thanks again, brother, great information is always appreciated.
Speaker 3: You gotta have a good damn well.
Speaker 2: Check news at about five minutes here, very late as that's going on. More fog burning off today and when we continue the passing of A. Jesse Jackson at eighty four, it's interesting how his hand has shaped civil rights and it's not even recognizable today what that movement looks like. People say, so right movement that really isn't it changed a lot? And he had a hand in that and kind of undermined his own his own cause. If you will make sense of that coming up next more to follow slowly seven hundred w with it. You know, the problem with having a business model that is essentially driven by attention and also a cause is if you make tremendous inroads into solving that problem to the cause, then you cease to exist. And this is true in many, many organizations, so it's not exclusive to Well. In this case, the Rainbow Coalition Jesse Jackson passing away yesterday at the age of forty eighty four, life well lived, complicated legacy depending on your worldview, for sure. And you know the key hope of live rhetoric that he empowered empowered people, and you know, you look at the positives. A Rainbow Coalition essentially opened this big tent up before it was about the black experience and later in the a and he's opened that up to include poor whites and Latinos and women, LGBTQ individuals and those on the economic margins. And so in that regard, it was head of its time. However, you know, the idea was that you know, racism is alive and well well you know, we saw the coronation of a black president. Remember the iconic moment Jesse Jackson's crying watching Obama speak and take the oath of office. And so if you look at that, it's a lot different than when Jesse Jackson was coming up, when you had separate drinking fountains, when you had sundown laws, meaning and even here in Cincinnati that was true too. There are areas of town that you should not be in if you were of color because you could be killed or at the very least attacked, if not driven out. Interracial dating, I mean that seems so long ago, right that that was a huge taboo in America all alone, the interracial marriages, and now it's very very commonplace. Hell, you know, Carde, you have TV shows and people at all walks of life, and you know, the back of that mantra, it's like, you know, if you're an adult, you love who you love.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And that also extends to people who are LGBTQ. You know, had Rosa parks a seat on the back of the bus. Today and today the world leans into black culture. I mean, if you watch the Olympics, it's it's kind of interesting. You see people from all over the world who essentially have adopted to some degree hip hop culture. And and that was unheard. You know, you could say, well, you know, look at you know, black music and Elvis and the Blues and all that. Yeah, yeah, yeah, but not to the level we see it today for sure. And and so is that, you know, part of that Jesse Jackson's legacy. I mean, I think he had a hand in there, for sure. But if you look at and I mentioned how if you do something long enough, successful at it, you have to find a reason to keep going.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's it's like you know, mother, it'd be like the I don't know, maybe like Mother's against drunk driving to some degree. Is that you know, back in the day, people used to drink and drive and the cop would go, okay, well i'll follow you home, or you know, hey, you know, we'll let you go. It's just a little, you know, a little cock eyed, and you know, people started dying, and certainly little kids were killed, and it rose this whole anti the drinking and driving, the whole culture right of designated drivers because of that. Now do people still drive, for oh absolutely, But it's not like it used to be. I think A better parallel would be smoking. You know, we have we won the war on smoking. Yes, yes, we have literally so few people smoke today it really is not significant compare to us. Hell, even in my lifetime, go back to the eighties and nineties for that matter.
Speaker 6: You know we have.
Speaker 2: Vaping now, and vaping is well, you know you shouldn't have the same people are against it. We're against public smoking because the second hand smoker now after vapors, even though it's second hand steam, and it's just it's it's the appearance of smoke. It's not really smoke. And so in order to remain relevant, keep the funding coming, whether it's those groups or Jesse Jackson Rainbow Coalition, you have to exacerbated other problems. It's much worse today than it was. Why because it's more it's more underground.
Speaker 6: Is it.
Speaker 2: You know you can also say take a victory lap and said, you know, I've seen the world change in my lifetime for the better in that regard. But if you do that, then it undermines your cause, is the problem. And if you look at how the civil rights movement has changed, you know, the old model is hierarchical. It was preacher Centergy at King he had Jackson Ralph Abernethy preaching from the pulpit and they were charismatic and they spoke about the movement. Today it's it's much much different.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: You look at maybe Black Lives Matter, which is very polarized and broken in some ways, in many ways, and it's deliberately it's leaderless by design. We saw that with what was it, the Occupy Wall Street movement back in the two thousands, and no one understood what was going on there. It's like we have there's no leadership and there's no no head of this. Well, how is that possible? And it's by design. It's a strength and a weakness. And you know, the Black church was the instigtional backbone of the civil rights movement when he was coming up, because it was the meeting hall, it was the fundraising, the moral authority. In today's it's much more secular because we have leaned away from church. Now are all young people doing that? No? No, no, we've seen a rise and how even the numbers for young people leaning into Catholicism an increased. But it's you know, they've got a long way to go to get back to the glory days. I don't think you're ever going to do that. Younger activists have less church and the energy is shifted away from the pulpit to social media rather than sanctuaries. That that's a huge structural shift are seeing today and have seen for a while now with the generation, certainly millennials, but especially Gen Zers and so, you know, a movement can go from zero to national and literally hours after a viral video. We didn't see that in the past. It took a while. If you look at the marches there's Selma, you know, burming Ham in the South that back then in the sixties, it took a lot of effort to get that many people together to get a motivated to go down there and create those marches. Now literally because of the Internet and because of viral videos. It because look at how long it took. I mean it took literally weeks to organize the movement from the north to bring people down in buses for the marches. Back in the sixties. That took a tremendous amount of effort and resources, time and money to get that all organized. You know, we saw the results of it in the marches, but you didn't see the work behind the scenes from people like Jesse Jackson others that mobilized from those church pulpits around the North and the Midwest and elsewhere to get people to go down there. Today you have you know, George Floyd for example, it literally started, the protesters started right or what's happening in Minnesota right now with Ice. You saw the protesters and you know, now you've got people flying in from all over the country right or wrong to take part in that whole thing. That's where that is today. So you know, it's not about the church anymore. It's more about the Internet, the church of the Internet. So you can make something because of viral videos transcend a lot faster. It's so volatile right now, you don't need to build the infrastructure that he did, and so you can flash mobilize millions, now, can you. I guess the other part is because of the foundation of this thing, because you're not starting with the bricks and building a pyramid up. What's happening is, yeah, you can flash mobilize millions of people, but does that movement then have any staying power because of our attention span. We're on the next thing, and you know, today's civil rights conversation is perspective of a white guy here, so take it for what it is. But today it's more intersectional than Jackson was, because now it's not just about race. They've also folded in gender and sexual orientation, now immigration and women and pretty much anyone with the beef. And that's why if you're older like me, you look at it and go, okay, you see some sort of rally or you see some sort of protest, and there's all these different signs out there. What are you protesting? This isn't about the core of it with civil rights, but you knew it was with the black experience, and it was about Jim Crow laws, and it was about all of these things I mentioned in trying to treat an individual under the Constitution like anyone else regards to their skin color. Right, that's the central theme of his speeches of king speeches anyway, and Jesse Jackson today and now today it's much much different. Like it's confusing if you're older to look at it, go okay, Well, you've got you've got people of collar, you've got latinos, you've got LATINX whatever that is that you have LGBTQ, plus you have all these agrieved parties and it looks like it's his mishmash of just people are pissed off of the world. But that's the thing is, you know, today it's my group. Tomorrow I'll be there supporting your group, kind of like a union. You know, one goes on stright, they I'll go on strike. It's it's kind of the same feel where it is now the power of all those micro groups out that are leaning in together, which is why it looks, you know, the problem is like why all these people out there, whether it's you know, Black Lives Matter, or what's happening with ice the outfield, or I don't know, it has to do with you know, gay and lesbian issues for that matter. And after twenty twenty, after George Floyd, that was a turning point too for DEI, and of course everyone leaned into that. And now, as always, the pendulum swings back the other way, going, hey, you know, we went too far with this stuff, and rightly so, and we probably will swing back the other way at some point as well. That's just how America is. We're kind of fickle in that regard. So you know, at the time and back in the day when he was coming up and he witnessed I mean, he was there for the assassination of Martin Luther King Junior. He was on the balcony at the Lorraine Hotel. And that is much different that we're seeing today. You know, he was just fighting for access to voting and jobs and education. Today it's not just about inclusion. It's not just about to see the table. It's about you know, defunding police, abolishing police reparations and all of these radical clauses and things that a number of groups are leaning in too. But I think that's a confusing part as younger people get that if you're older, you just don't. And that's the way the world works for sure. And I think voting rights it's critically I'll look at what we're doing with the say of America Act, right, that is still a central line through all this stuff. So I don't know, you can say what you will about that. People will still be complaining and protesting. And that's the way the world works here in America anyway, because we have that right to do it. But you know, Jesse Jackson, again, I think at the end of life, probably you know, trying to keep trying to keep his movement going, but it's been surpassed by what I just described here, and so you have become neutered or irrelevant I suppose compared to It doesn't mean, you know, you can't look back and these groups can't go back and go, Okay, well he got us to this point. Uh, and we have now taken that movement over. But you know that that's yesterday's news, so to speak. So like any organization, uh, if you're successful, you really can't admit it. And at the same time, you know you have to continue to exist because of the infrastructure that's in place today. It's much it's all online giving and you know, go fundmes and everything else in it, but it doesn't have the I guess it just doesn't have the infrastructure that a group like a Rainbow Push ad where it literally started as a grassroots effort. Today's grassroots are much different. It's all driven by the Internet, and then you're out of the next thing. And it's not good or bad. It's not a judgment. It's just the way things are because back then you had this legitimate infrastry and you've got to feed that system. You know, the money's got to trickle back down to the bottom.
Speaker 6: Today.
Speaker 2: It's you know, you can just pay someone directly or pay a cause directly, and so it goes, so it goes. So anyway, Jesse Jackson passing at the age eighty four, and I think he'd been sick for a while. If I'm not mistaken, I believe so. Yeah, So we have the searcher in Nancy Guthrie entering its third week. We're in a week three of this thing right now, and she, of course disappeared from her home sixteen days ago. FBI has doubled the reward to one hundred thousand dollars. I said, did you see the video of Savannah Guthrie? She ristled a no video this weekend. I think she's like doing one week maybe, and it was a two week mark since her mother's disappearance. And I want to circle back on that thing, because you could there's an express if maybe if you you know, if you are heavily into social media or you know, in my case, you know you're in media and you follow these things in news cycles and things like that. It's it's really interesting what her eyes and her body language was saying in that video that her mouth wasn't. I'll circle back on that in just a second. But the latest is they found this glove with the DNA profile. I'm really not that new, but there are trace evidence of DNA in that thing, and it looks like the pair that was worn by the individual and surveillance video on that camera outside Nanty Guthrie's home when she disappeared, and the timeline works with this thing. Although a lot of experts say, well, it was a mile and a half away. I sawn on the side of the road. There's a lot of trash on roadsides. Does it mean that that glove even though it looked like it was the one that guy was wearing. There's blackbird rubber goes you probably you know it's probably one of those hidden plane side things. Is you don't notice it until you see one that probably all over you just never notice them because they're e in food services and pretty much everything else. They're aubiquitous. Whether or not that DNA is tied to the individual we saw in the video or those responsible disappearance yet to be determined. And how usable is that DNA that's the other question. The sheriff yesterday, Chris Nanos came out and said the Guthrie family, including siblings, spouses, extended, failed me. Everyone has been cleared as possible suspects, and they've been nothing but cooperative and graciously said that they are the true victims in this case. And sometimes we forget we're human. We hurt and kindness matters, and we got to stand up and be the voice for our victims. If I'm not going to sit in silence when others are attacking the innocent. Isn't that what the badge represents? Well, said sir not on is it wrong? It's cruel, But we also have human nature and I'll bring this back real quick too. When the when the when we had the big mac bridge fire and we caught a lot of heat. I caught a lot of heat from people saying, well, why are you throwing homeless people under the bus. It wasn't throw homeless people of the bus. How do you solve an investment? How you start an investigation? It starts with the people closest to where the crime occurred. You know, if if the if the bridge is on fire, bridge burns away saw the video like, okay, who do you talk to? Do you talk to people in Blue Ash. Do you talk to people in the central business district? Do you start canvassing northside? Do who's around the middle of the night under bridges? Homeless people? You start the investigation there and it could very well be someone who was homeless, or if you're homeless and you're around there and maybe you saw something so of course that it's not beating, it's not punching down, and it's you know, speaking of the interwebs, you know, the activist revolution out there. No, that's where you would start an investigation, naturally, the bridge people, you know. I guess if something like this happened on rail lines, you'd probably talk to people who work along the rails. You talk to conductors and engineers. I don't know if there's still hobos, if that's a thing or not, but maybe that would be a good place to start, right, same thing here with the Nancy Guthrie disappearance. You start with the family. Usually ninety nine times of one hundreds of people closest to them, you start with family, friends, known associate. It's the last person they made contact with. Those are always the first people that they would talk to and either rule and rule out his subs of suspects, and so that makes sense. But I'm glad he came out and said, okay, enough of the armchair. You know, podcasters trying to figure out who done it when you don't have the information and evidence that we have we haven't released yet. Is also part of the problem, is we just don't have the information the FBI and local authorities have. It's just saying, okay, enough already, we've ruled them out. It's not any of the family members. Quit beating these people up. I mentioned Savannah Guthrie as part of that as well, at she has suspect in this well, of course not, but her eyes, in her body language it told me something because she is a journalist and she understands a news cycle. And what I saw in her mannerisms, in her eyes, not her words, told me a lot. It's like she put, this is the last videot on Sunday, knowing that this may be it in a sense, is that we're going to lose interest this week, and then Nancy Guthrie case barring. You know, nothing happening news wise, but the news cycle always produces something that's more gripping and relevant and interesting, and it's sad but it's true. We can only focus on one issue at a time, one atrocity at a time, and if something pops this week, that'll push this off the front page. You know, you're coming trying to come with new angles. There's really nothing there. We'll be interested with something else which hurts them, because you need the public engage in order to solve this thing. And I think I think you know, certainly Savannah knew that and watched his video go she kind of knows, like, we've got to get this thing done in the next couple hours here, a couple of days, because the public interests can start to find in the media is going to move on and social media is going to move on for that matter. That's just how it works.
Speaker 3: Anyway.
Speaker 2: I got to get a news update in and coming up. At ten oh six this morning. Greg Lawson's here Buckeye Institute. He was testifying in front of the legislator about improving our energy pause we debate AI and data centers and all this stuff and advanced manufacturing. The load on our power bill for just me and you, it's going through the roof and it's not going to stop anytime soon. How much can Columbus help us in that regard. He's next on the show on the Home of the Red seven hundred WWD Cincinnati.
Speaker 5: I don't want to be an American idiot.
Speaker 2: Got flowing back on seven hundred w welw so E. Electricity demand. We cannot talk enough about it on the show simply because we are getting We're gonna get squeez We're getting squeezed.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 2: You know, your electric rates are going up, and that is because of just an incredible amount of demand, and that is going to get worse because of the rise of data centers. So you got AI, you got EV's, you got Crypto, you got all these things. And Ohio right now is we're top five in the country. We want to be number one and well positioned to have a huge role as being an energy energy contributor. And we've had legislative reforms that have helped with as well. But there's also the local battles across the state on how to live with these giant facilities matter of factor tomorrow and have somebody down from Adams County who's who's fighting the data centers out there? But every area has a battle over data centers. We Cincinnati put a moratorium on him, just because it's so new and it's coming at us so fast. We need to kind of pump the brakes and say, okay, what are the guidelines here. We need to have some bumpers on the edges, if you will, kind of like you know, bowling for little kids. You got to put some bumpers up because we don't know where this is going. We do know what's a huge, huge energy suck which drives prices up so on. That is Greg Lawson, our buddy from Buckeye Institute in Columbus, who recently testified in front of the state legislature on this. Greg, welcome back.
Speaker 5: Are you doing great? Wonderful to be on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think I can, and I have talked a lot of that talk about this enough because this affects every person listening, and this is the future of what energy consumption and demand is going to look like here in the state. We've got to get it right from the jump.
Speaker 5: We absolutely do. It's one of the most important issues we face, the data center issue. There's a lot of you know, there's a lot of different aspects that including all the local issues and concerns. I also point out as I, as I testified actually to the State Senate Committee last week. You know, AI and data centers isn't just about jobs and economic development, although that is certainly a portion of it. It's now a national security issue. I mean, we're kind of talking, you could be a little high fallute with the rhetoric, but basically this is kind of like a Sputnik moment because we've got competition with China. So there is literally national security implications that are very much interpligned with this that cannot be ignored, and I think we need to kind of keep that uppermost in my mind where we're talking about, you know, some of the how we apply bumpers and things like that right as well. But energy lies at the core of that too, because as of right now, data centers are ravenous. They consume electricity as much as some smaller cities do. And the amount of increase that this is putting in, the stress it's putting on the overall electric grid is very real, and it is costing consumers obviously, and that's one of the things that contributes to so much of the backlash. So we need to get generation up and running, We need to get more of it built. We're going to need to work on transmission as well, which is the second piece of the puzzle when it comes to energy. But Ohio has done some good stuff. They passed two big bills last year that the governor assigned that is going to I think, really help and you're already seeing capital investment in energy happening as a result of that. But we need to be smarter about it. That's what I was satisfying about with the Senate Energy Committee last week. We need to make sure that as we're citing new sources of electricity generation that we're really looking at a number of different factories. But critically, we need cheap energy because there's going to be so much demand, and we need reliable energy, and I think that's something that a lot of times people don't think enough about. You need it to run all the time. You need what they call baseload generation that can't doesn't go off. And this is where some of the concerns. You renewables have a role to play, but there is some concern about how they operate in terms of being able to always be on and work in that way. So we need to make sure that when we're citing stuff. We're being sure that the state policy is it's cheap, it's reliable. Oh and by the way, hopefully you don't have within your supply chain a bunch of stuff from foreign adversary nation.
Speaker 2: Well that's the thing is China's pushing AI super hard. As we know in Edward a battle, a spot Nick battle, if youel Moon mission type of battle as Kennedy did nine nineteen sixties. During your testimony, Greg Lawson from Buckeye Institute, you said data centers will consume ten percent of US electricity by twenty thirty, So in four years it's going to be about ten percent of the pie. That number is going to continue to grow year over year. And so what are the implications if we just don't meet that demand here in Ohio? I throw you know, your bucket and stupid. I feel Kentucky and Indiana there as well. If we don't meet that demand, which competitors could capture that economic opportunity?
Speaker 5: This?
Speaker 2: Where would it go? Somebody's going to pick.
Speaker 5: Up on it? Well, I think so. I think you're going to see other states obviously trying to take advantage of it. I think Ohio is well positioned for a lot of reasons to really take advantage of the data center world. You know, we have a uniquely qualified workforce, I think, both in terms of the trades and things like that that are used to build these things, but also some of the tech workforce and the myriad of both universities and in particular community colleges that do a lot of workforce training. So I think Ohio is very well positioned. So it would be kind of unfortunate to see that going to other states. But one thing that worries me is if we don't get energy policy right in Ohio for sure, but broadly speaking, you know, we could see a lot of hurdles continue to get erected to these things, and if that were to happen, that again ties back into this overall competition we were talking about China. We're not you know, America is not preordained to win this competition. Just because we won the last Cold War doesn't inherently mean that you're preordained to win this one. You got to work for it, and that's something that we really need to do. So I think that Ohio has a unique role to play because of how much demand there is right now and how many data centers are coming into Ohio. But we need to be a leader, a leader that other states can look at as well, because there's going to be frankly more than enough to go around for many states. Okay, we get this wrong, it's going to be a real problem.
Speaker 2: And I think as we don't understand, I don't understand the China comparison. Can you elaborate on how China's current energy production capacities stacks up against us here in Ohio, in the Midwest and the United States, and specifically how their approach to powering AI development differs from ours.
Speaker 5: Sure, basically they have it all of the above approach. You hear a lot of folks. They're one of the lead. They are the world's leader in renewables, that's true. They're also the world leader in coal, and they're building nuclear power plants on a regular basis too. Their energy production is vastly outstrips right now what the United States is doing. And I think part of that is because you know, they're a command to control economy. They don't have some of the local constraints, some of the regulatory constraints that their regime says now shall go build, they go They do it. They don't have environmental impact statements that could take years, you know, to work through. They don't have the same kind of litigiousness in terms of legal issues that can sometimes steiny projects and stuff like that. So they are really just pedal to the metal. And you know, I don't think America has to go and do all of that, but we do need to cut through some of the red tape and things that do create delays, and we need to get a lot better again with the energy production. The problem that America kind of faces is up until recently, with the rise of data centers, we had fairly flat demand. It was very limited growth in terms of the generation. We were actually doing really well even in reducing greenhouse gas emissions, you know, because that we were seeing natural gas come online, which was somewhat cleaner than coal. Coal still had some role. Nuclear is still a big poor portion of the portfolio, and we were seeing that, but we weren't necessarily building as much because the demand wasn't there. Now, all of a sudden, we're seeing this dramatic spike in a very short period of time, and I think that's what's really making everybody kind of run around. Not a policy standpoint and say we got to act, we got to act now. And then they look across the ocean there and they look at what China's doing and they realize we're behind the eight ball.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And in China they can just seize property. You know, we have eminent domain, we have court systems to fight there. It takes a much longer. The regulatory hurdles here are extreme, and I think that comes into play too. You mentioned nuclear power. Now we do have two nuclear plants in Ohio, but how has the impact of the first energy scandal destroyed that? You know, the public trust in nuclear but in the public Utuluise Commission in a sense is that you know, sixty million dollars has funneled through this five oz one CE and Larry Householder, we know that whole story. But the plants are in trouble in the first place because they weren't profitable, and now we rely more on natural gas the nuclear that seems to be more regulatory in layers of bureaucracy, and that's why it cost so much to put new nuclear plants online and use nuclear energy, which is much much much cleaner. Will we ever get over that hurdle, especially in light of that scandal.
Speaker 5: Well, I definitely think the scandal hurt. But the one thing that I'll say that it's very positive is there are some different models coming online for nuclear power plants. I'm not sure that the future of nuclear is going to be things like the two plants or at the heart of that scandal. Now that said, interestingly enough, of course, those plants have been sold off now and you have major tech companies purchasing energy that's coming from those plants through a private arrangement, which is the way it should have worked all along, without all the subsidies and public interference and corruption that was involved with the House Built six scandal. But the things that I think we really are looking for are these what they call it small modular reactors. Now there's actually one that's supposed to be going into the old piping plant down in southern Ohio. It still needs to get federal approval. Again, there's a lot of reguatory hurdles, and when are dealing with du clear, I think everybody is rightfully concerned. Everybody kind of thinks the turnable or three mile island and things like that. Now, the new designs are very very different, much safer, but we also haven't constructed those historically, so there's a lot of work in Washington to try to kind of get at what they call turnty approach. Some designs that they have looked at. They've managed it from a safety standpoint so that if you basically go with certain kinds of pre approved designs, you can get fast or permitting. I think that is something we're going to see, but that's not right around the corner. It's coming, and I actually think it's likely to be the future. Indeed, one of the things you'll probably see with some of these data centers is a lot of on site generation where they may not even tie back into the grid overall. They may PLoP a small modular reactor or a couple of gas turbines natural gas turbines on site that just produces electricity just for that particular data center, right. I think you will see that happen more, and that would.
Speaker 3: Be a good thing.
Speaker 5: But I think SMRs, the small mods, they're going to be something that is going to come online here in the not too distant future, and I think that will be a good thing, and I think the public will understand that these are very different again from the things that have caused.
Speaker 2: So much being I think, I think, you know, absolutely right. I'm fascinated by this whole thing. And you'll see these these localized specialized power generation stations for each one of these AI facilities, and you know, the surplus they could sell back and put it a pipeline back through the grid, kind of like you do if you have solar or I don't know, wind turbine in your yard. Right, the shurplus energy you don't use, you can sell back to the provider. By law, they have to buy back. You could do that or and you know we talk about infrastructure and transmission is the key here in stringing more power lines all over. No one wants them in their backyard. They want to go over ahead. Remember the big scare but EMF frequencies causing cancer which turned out to be nothing. But people don't want those things around, so not in my backyard syndrome, much like we're fighting against AI data center. So I think the future are smaller nuclear reactors for subdivisions for I don't know, small communities. Hell, you might have one replacing your furnace, I don't know. But then that eliminates the need for transmission lines, which is a tough fertle to cross. That's the problem. China can do it because they just take the land over. It's you know, the way their governments design their way life is designed over. Their government just controls everything. Here we have, as I mentioned, courts and eminent domain fights and everything else, environmental issues and alike. If you just did it locally as opposed to regionally, that's probably what's going to happen.
Speaker 5: I think there's going to be a lot of that that absolutely does happen. And you know, again there's actually even with some of the existing lines that we have, there's some things that you can do to actually improve how much energy is going through lines and how much doesn't get lost, because that's actually kind of an issue. You know, that snapping sound you here Sometimes if you happen to be walking underneath some lines, that's basically electricity that you're losing. That's electrons that aren't going to make it to whoever is needing to use that energy. So we need to make sure we're improving some of our capacity that way as well. And you can actually do some things with existing lines now that gets complicated because then you've got to find ways to pay the utility companies. They are monopoly and things like that. So it's still some challenges, but I think that's going to be a piece of puzzle. The whole new lines is going to be a piece of the puzzle. Again, I think some of the behind the meter stuff is puzzle. We have to do a lot more and this is something Ohio a loan can't do. This is something all the states are going to have to do, is work within the grid system. We were actually part of a multi state grid that's run by a nonprofit, A kind of a complicated story for folks who aren't familiar with all the energy infrastructure. But there's a lot of backlogs in terms of connecting new generation to the overall grid, and that's actually delay. So that's another pig latory delay that we need to work on. You know, I'm a big believer eventually that will facilitate that process and make it easier because I think that will be good because I'll allow you to do what you were just describing, which is if you can produce surplus, you can sell it back, and that's something that we should really be trying to aspire to in the long run.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you know, it's an environmental thing and also a safety thing. You think of California, the wildfires are there, not all of them melatomum sparked by with the tremendous wins and the power lines going down like the campfire for example, that that that doesn't eliminate that. But you know, if you if you're using less power lines because the substations or these generating stations are closer to where people use, I mean you have fewer lines strong and less opportunity for a natural disaster, a man made disaster like this. I guess it would be Greg Lawson from Buckeye on the show, and he testified last week before the legislature in Columbus regarding our energy policy here. And we want to be and we are a major player right now. We're top five. I think we're number out of the country for data center growth. We want to be number one because that is the future of Ohio. But of course we have municipalities all over the state that are fighting in and say maybe not fighting against them per se greg but I think it's in and you know, we've learned in the past like, oh yeah, come in and do the building. These big and it's not just one building. These campuses are there, they're a number of buildings are massive in their size. They don't employ all that many people. So I don't know about the you know, the local economic impact. And I think but I think residents are right to question what's in their backyard.
Speaker 5: Well, I think that this is going to be one of the hot topics too that that's going on, is there are some legitimate concerns about these And you're right, the jobs, I mean, there's some temporary jobs obviously when you do the.
Speaker 2: Construction constructions great, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: But the long term jaws typically aren't as high. Now, you know we in fact, someone we're looking at the buck Gysto right now is looking at there's a lot of knockoff effects because thinking about what these data centers do and the cloud and all the data that you use, health records, financial records, how you do purchasing online, all of the very and certainly the gaming thing for entertainment and streaming and all the things that we've become so accustomed to. All of that needs that kind of the data centers is the backbone. So there's if you don't build any of those, you don't have any of those things. So there's obviously some long term negative consequences to that. I think we have to explain that to folks now that still is going to there a lot of people are still going to say I don't want this, you know, home in my backyard kind of situation. I think that's it again why we have to kind of go back and say, look, you know, there may be some things we need to do, but we can't just have Nimby take off everywhere because if we do that here in Ohio again, it'll spread that message spread to other states. It's going to happen elsewhere, and I think that would put us at a competitive disadvantage, not just economically, but even from that security standpoint we were talking about before. And you know, that is something I think people don't necessarily think as much about that particular component of this, but it's actually really important piece of this. I think that message does need to get out there so that people can kind of understand that and factor that into their sort of decision making.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's getting you know, certainly we're getting strained here. Power bills are going up people are looking at it going why am I paying so much money? We have a and let's not forget advanced manufacturing. We just built a thirty one million dollar facility in Hamilton with Miami University to train the next generation of that workforce. And that's going to grow in Ohio as well. The manufacturing of the future is more lab based, in computer based than it was a couple of generations ago. Or it's like a big factory floor. So that's taking root here in Ohio as well. And it all means more power you use. Each just means higher bills, and we've got to find a way to produce and then transmit that energy to where it's needed. Greg Lost in the Buckeye Institute testifying before the legislature last week on this very issue. Thanks again for jumping on.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you, Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Take care news in about five though, iHeartMedia and seven hundred WW salute Cincinnati's own Procter and Gamble. If you've got someone there you'd like for us to recognize on the air, Just Texas their name to fifty one eight eight one and be listening. Hi Scott's Loan Show. Seven hundred WLW. Welcome to Tuesday, not just any Tuesday, my friend's Fat Tuesday. I'll be the King of Marty Gros once again this year at the Northern Kentucky Convention Center. We still have a few tickets left. I believe a few. Marti Grout twenty twenty six dot org. Or you can swing by Mercedes Benz of Fort Mitchell seeing Don Paparella and his team. That can hook you up there and of course it all benefits are three wonderful organizations in Cincinnati for kids in need, Bethany House, Brighton Center and Welcome House, and the proceeds tonight, all of it will benefit. All the money goes to feeding all kids, all kids in those organizations, like one hundred and fifty thousand meals for twenty twenty six, which is an incredible, incredible thing if you think about it. So I'll be there. I mentioned Shila Gray who was on show yesterday. She's gonna jump on. She be my queen once again this year. John John is our gesture, which is perfect because he can dress up in tights. Sarah Release will be there, and our own Tom Brenneman making his first appearance as an MC tonight at the Northern Kentucky Convention Center VIP tickets at five thirty six thirty. I think general and it's all on my ten And it's more food than you can eat and more drink than you can drink on a Tuesday night, for sure. But it's a great cause. So if you missed out on Valentine's Day and you're like God to do something or you're just looking to get out, man, it's and it's for a great cause. So at is Martin grat twenty twenty six dot or hoop to see you out there tonight tonight tonight. Lawyers do kind of ruin everything, don't they, And that as part of the maybe the frustration of life is each and every day we all get a little bit older, and you know, they're just the simple things in life you enjoy, like Foo. Food never lets you do, never lets you down. The war on food continues. Costco is facing a class action lawsuit over their chicken. They're Kirkland Signature seasoned rotisserie chicken. Are you a fan of Costco chicken? I know you're a fan of the pizza slice at the deli. You know they have the food court. Well not even a food court there. It's basically what it is. You know, get they got the cheese, they got a pepperoni, you can get. I think they've got like a turkey sandar tok, a bunch of stuff, and it's it's interestedly cheap. They're known for their dollar fifty quarter pound hot dog and pop for a buck fifty. And I think the rotests chicken, I believe it is like five bucks. It's unreal. It's a giant chicken and you get for a five or six bucks. It's insane. You just grab one and you bring it home. It's delicious, delicious. Why are they getting sued? The Costco rotisserie chicken probably one of the most purchased food items in the United States. For that matter, they sell more chickens than anyone in the United States because of that. And the fight is over whether or not the label on the outside says there's no preserves in it, but the plaintips call it actually contains preservatives. The preservatives are sodium phosphate and carried genin carried gene and I believe is seaweed, and of course sodium phosphate. It's salt liquid salt, and so the hinge. The Crux lawsuit is the nut impression, Meaning even if a Costco technicalist ingredients somewhere, the dominant marketing message on the label is no preserved. On the bag it says no preservatives. So what do you perceive? What do you rely on? What information? So what you're saying is we're suing Costco over seasoning. See this is how lawyers a ruined stuff. Now they maintaine the label. I don't know what the remedy is here. I'll probably get in a few months a card from some settlement in the mail that says you are part of your Costco member, you are so part of this class action lawsuit for against Big Chicken against mislabeled products. And you send the card in and you get out a check for forty cents. A lawyer makes all the money. You get forty cents for that chicken doesn't even buy me. Doesn't mean by the tip of the wing, nobody eats man forty cents? Come on, what are we doing over here? But the problem is, like, you know what's gonna do. It's just gonna drive the cost of the Chicken's gonna go up to pay for the furlos lawsuit, and this is a thing in lawsuits involving food litigation. It's basically it's called front of package versus a back of label arguments. And the logic is that courts are generally recognized that technically accurate fine print disclosures don't automatically neutralize the advertising claim, and so it's called net impression. The net impression doctrine meaning doesn't matter if the truth is technically somewhere on the package, if the experience of buying product creates a false belief. So that is what the FTC the Federal Trade Commission is centered around. At the same time as like, come on, man, you don't expect chicken to have some some salt in it? And I guess I don't know what the kerriagenin does. I think it is basically makes an and may probably just continue to make it juicy. But it's it's seaweed. It's not like it's chemicals. I mean, technically sodium phosphate is. But you still put salt on your chicken, at least I hope you would, because it's going to be nasty if it doesn't have that stuff in it. And some seaweed seems perfectly natural. I mean, it's not like they're pumping it full of steroids and things like that be a different story. So for me, I don't know.
Speaker 6: I just.
Speaker 2: There are very few things in life as you get older that bring you so much joy, and rotisserie chicken definitely brings. I felt I should I feel I should bring Segin is like our seven hundred w he's like that. He's our Chicken Report's senior poultry correspondent, Bill sag Dennison to talk about Costco chicken. I don't know if he's ever had Costco chicken, but he's our seven hundred chicken expert. I'm gonna save that topic for maybe an upcoming Stooge Report. Maybe maybe later day you'll hear that the dispute over. It's like, come on, man, are you gonna go after pepper. It's like it's supposed to be seasoned. I get it. If you know all natural chicken and you go to some fast food place and it's not okay, I get that. Yeah, Donald's coffee is supposed to be hot, got it, But it's too hot and that's why now it's luke warm. You've ruined it. I hope they don't ruin the Costco chick and damn well, I'll tell you what you want to start a you want to start a civil war in this country. It's not gonna be over politics. It's not gonna be over racial issues, gender orientations. It's going to be over the dollar fifty hot dog at Costco. You start going after that, after the pizza slice. It's on because Costco army. We run deep. A lot of people love them. Some Costco will fight to the death. You can. You can fight me on this whole thing all you want. You can take that chicken drumstick out of my cold dead hand. How's that sound? You think you got problems? Think Costco's got problems here somebody else having problems. They'll love. We like to punch down to the French. I don't just think it's the thing at this point. So we had that big heist last summer, remember that of the inside job. So just a couple days of a water pipe burst that damage a nineteenth century ceiling, and the ceiling was just the ceiling was actually a work of art. And then a water leak in November damaged several hundred works in the Library of Egyptian antiquities, which is a big, big deal. So you're starting to wonder like, should we be trusting the lou Should we trusting the French to keep all of these antiquities and all this because they don't be doing that good job. You know, we're stealing stuff. We've got water leaks, we got pipes bursting. What's going on over You've got the they had to shut down because they don't have people working. But what are we doing here France? And we want to be more like the French? Right, they're now investigating a twelve million dollar fraud scheme and I'm still trying to figure this out. So here's the fraud scheme that detained nine people and two museum employees and some tour guides. So there were two Chinese tour guides, two to two guides. And how it works if you've never been abroad New Europe anywhere else for that matter, you know, if you're part to big group, and we did used to do this with YMT vacations back in the day. Probably with a group, you know, you have a somebody who leads the pack around, you know, the den mother, and this person will get you to the head of the line for group tours and things because errel juiced and they buy, they get you around and they speak the language. They're you know, they're they're you're you're hiring a fixers, which are but they'll they'll show you the sites and they get you like the groups of the front of the line, so you don't have to wait with everybody else because you know, they give you priority if you're in a tour group. That's what they pay for. That's what you pay for. Anyway, the Chinese, two Chinese tour guides dealing I guess with just Chinese citizens were suspective reusing tickets to bring Chinese tourists into the museum. So they had surveillance that they had wired debs and it confirmed that some guys were reusing tickets and splitting tour groups to avoid fees. And the network is suspected of bringing in up to twenty tour groups a day over the past ten years and then taking the profits and using it to buy real state in France and also Dubai. And this may have also happened at the Palace of over Side. They're still investigating that. I'm like, okay, help me out here. Twenty groups a day, bringing in twenty groups a day, and then they took the profit to invest in real estate. But they're using tickets, saying seems to me like I'm looking at that going this doesn't seem like a high level crime. But they just continue to get more bad press over there. At some point you go, why are we trusting all of these wonderful things to you get you guys can't handle this, And the cry was, you know, we need to expand and we need to modernize, we need to hire people. Will when you go there, you pay a lot of money as a tourist to go see these sites. There's fees involved in this. How are you not taking that money and spending it on weald security and plumbing leaves to scratch your I go, well, where's the money going? So you could go on strike and take another day off. A whole problem with the model over there, It is definitely for sure broken. As long as this doesn't flop over to the Costco Chicken, I think I think we're okay. Quick time out. We've got news in about twelve here coming up at eleven oh seven. He is the president of the Queens City Lodge of the Fraternal Order of Police. That would be ken Kober. We've had a spade of shootings here recently, and and I want to drum up the old tired narrative about how dangerous it is in Cincinnati. Really that's relative, but certainly it's a concerning trend. We've had now shootings on Valentine's Day on a party bus could happen. Right on a party bus, You're going to get shot. That's not good. We had the North Side shooting, two people dead, two injured, and that was more concerning because you know, there are a lot more people around and on all of that, if you looked at some of the coverage of this thing, you saw literally bullet holes in buildings, in storefronts, and now people are going, I don't know if on new business in North Side, this is not the first time it's happened. And at least one individual there said I want to move my business. Whether that happens or not yet to be seen. And then last night, a the body of a female this seed and someone who was shot was found at Lynn and Poplar Streets. So consecutive days of homicides here in Cincinnati. The numbers going right now statistically speaking, it's forty percent, but it's like I think we had I think we went from eight to ten or something like that, So you know how many is it? But I'll ask Ken Cober, this whole situation is like, Okay, well, I know it's we're only halfway through February and we only it's a very very small sample, you know, a month and a half in, but we're seeing crime rise. You're over your last month and now this month we're ahead on pace. And it's a legitimate question is this a sign? Can you see a trend here if this continues through February and then March. Considering we've had incredibly cold temperatures for this year and we haven't seen we finally above the freezing mark. But all of these crimes happened when it was pretty damn cold outside. So if we're seeing those homicides occur when it's cold and typically people are out congregating and doing stuff, what does this mean when we hit festival season? What does this mean from opening day on forward? And can you look at this and be at least concerned that it is a trend and that's not a trend with a month and a half for sure. I would say to me, three months probably makes a trend. But we're two of those three months in already. If that's the case, should we be concerned? Legitimate question? And also what's really changing when it comes to stopping crime. We've heard a lot about cameras, We've heard a lot about judges, and I'm curious. I'll ask Ken this are we seeing movement there are judges now maybe going you know what, maybe we really need to take the fact that when people break or take off or ignore their ankle monitors, that we have to get them immediately and elevate that to a serious felony, which I think it is because if you are taking off your ankle monitor, or if you're simply you know, you're outside of your confines of the ankle monitor, of your restriction, it's probably not because you know, you just decided, Hey, I'm out of food, I need to go to Kroger, I need to go to the store. I got bills to pay. No, it's probably you're going to do something bad. So to me, it's like we've got someone who got a monitor on them. We should know where they are. Let's go get them. We took that more seriously, I think that people who are on that restriction would, But if you don't, then you won't. That's how it is kind of like, you know, the cameras. To some degree, we talked about, hey, we got to put cameras and cameras go okay, someone a kid died two years ago, we put cameras in a park, except we didn't, and so rightly. So now today it's like, well, you told us you're doing this stuff, and you're not doing it. It's is that what's fueling the whole problem. I don't know. Cannill have perspective on that coming up. And of course I should point out two that day yesterday in the Indianapolis area, which is just actually outside of Indy, a two officers shot, one fatally on the job. And that always, I always said that always literally hits for police officers too, because that is in the back of your mind all the time, and when it happens to someone as close away, whether it's Indy or Cleveland or Columbus or Louisville or it doesn't matter, but an officer down is pauster concern for local law enforcement. So we'll talk to Ken Kober about that today. Coming up on the show on seven hundred w W then eleven thirty five, it's Andy Schaeffer simply Money, our weekly money check up. AI making news once again today. Earlier in the show, I had some been talking about the AI revolution here and what that actually is going to mean for the state of Ohio because we're trying to grow this stuff out. But AI stock's taking a hit for sure, what the long term consequences of that are and more. It's coming up in just a few minutes here on the Scottsland Show on seven hundred WLW. Final point here too. We have the Olympics going on, and there's always controversy in the Olympics. You know, we had the quad God and also we had when you have when you invest all your marketing and like a couple athletes going, this is gonna be the greatest thing ever. And like the quad God, he's going to do a couple of quadruple no one's ever done this before, and he missed them both. You know, look at the guy going just tapping your thumbs, stapping your fingers, going, yeah, that was your thing and now it's not. And you feel badly for him because now there's all the pressure and the NonStop questioning over his routine certainly going to cost some mental health issues for sure. Maybe we'll talk to Julie Hattershare about that on Monday. I think it's a good topic. And of course, you know, we have had skiers going down, Lindsay Vaughn who's blown her leg out like three times. I don't know if she's gonna come back from this one, but that was sad to see for sure. We also have this controversy going on in Canada, and I think it's awesome. The curling team. You know, watch a lot of curling. Curling's on those sports where you would not watch it, probably when it wasn't in the Olympics. So every four years like, oh yeah, curling. Now where I grew up in, you know, up in New York State, we'd get Canadian TV state back in the day when you had broadcast come over, we had three two, you know, and we're lucky too because normally, you know, back they had four TV hits channels. I think we had eight because of the Canadian ones. But the Crappies stuff would be on like you'd wake up Saturday morning as a kid and flip around looking for cartoons and it'd be you know, religious programs, I mean in loveless yoga and you and the Canadian TV had have curling on like this, this sucks, but curling I'm kind of exposed to it back in the day, which is like Canada's version of cornhole. So the curling team is accused of cheating. On Friday, Sweden was all up in their face and literally look like they're gonna start hitting each other with the brooms. They're swearing at each other, calling to dropping the F bob. I mean, this is curling. It seems like a gentile sport right all because one of the I guess the curlers, once you let go of the handle, you're not allowed to touch it, but it looked like he was putting his finger, just touching it with his index finger and kind of guiding as it left his hand, and the Swedes were calling him out on that one. But there was no formal complaint in that thing and no one was sanctioned and Canada went on. So it was kind of funny to watch all the sports things don't really take like, you know, all athletes are competitive and I see hot you know, hockey SPI watch hockey players scrap all the time, you know, facewash, guys punching each other with my fight might brain out. But curly just seems like a sport where we wouldn't have that. Oh you know what, when you're competitive, doesn't matter the sport. People are still willing to throw down, still willing to throw down. We'll do a news update as I mentioned, Ken Coober's next on the show at seven hundred WLW. Do you want to be in a man Stott Flung show? On seven hundred w LW. As we cut through, it's on this Tuesday, getting ready for some Marty Gray action tonight. More on that later. We had let's see a shooting on a party of us on Valentine's Day we in that left one dead, one injured. Sunday we had about one forty am two people killed, two more injury to shooting at a club on Hamilton Avenue in North Side. Of course, overnight we have a body that was found one at Lynn and Poplar, I believe. So they're kind of a steady drumbeat of homicides and the numbers are up a little bit year over year, which is causing concern joining the show this morning as the president of the Cincinnati Lodge Quincy Lodge FOP at be Ken cober Ken.
Speaker 1: Welcome you been, hey, good morning, Thanks for having me. I'm doing well.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: First I did want to give condolences because anytime an officer goes down to matter where it has costs for reflection and concerned. And we just had two officers shut outside Indianapolis yesterday won fatally for that matter, So condolences.
Speaker 1: Appreciate it. It's terrible. Actually, I was just an Indianapolis over the weekend and it's just terrible, terrible that things like this happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does, well, we'll see. I know that they caught the guy responsible or the subject anyway, so that's get him off the street anyway and behind bars if not worse. But so we had a reduction after the last for well the first two months of this year. I guess we're seeing your rise after reduction last year. So crime was down, but two high I said, mentioned the high profile shootings and the fatal last night at popular Land. Crime numbers this year and it's again it's a very small sample. We're halfway through February, but a year of a year were up like forty percent. In considering the fact that it has been bloody cold ever since Christmas. That takes a lot of doing to get people out on the streets shooting people or in this case clubs. Maybe is that a concern and is that a concern of the hot summer to come?
Speaker 1: Sure, it absolutely is. I mean we did see a little bit of spike in a little bit warmer weather, which I'm sure it probably contributed to more people being out and of course had alcohol and guns at at a nightclub and you know that's is a recipe for disaster. But yeah, it is very concerning that it's still this cold and you know we're seeing you know, I mean, we're up to ten homicides already this year. That's certainly concerning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how do we compare it to other cities like like, for example, Cleveland or maybe Columbus.
Speaker 1: You know, it's ironic. I was reading an article and talked to the Columbus e FIP president who's a friend of mine, and Columbus so far this year, which is almost twice the size of Cincinnati and typically is much more violent, and they're actually they have a big reduction in homicides already. I mean they have six, we're at ten. That is certainly a troubling trend. I'm not sure what to attribute it to, but it is certainly concerning that city half the size of Columbus is almost doubling them in homicides already this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're metro areas that were huge. Our birds are bigger, but the sides of the city itself is massive, and they've had ten. Yeah, I look at it, go wow, what's causing this? Because you really have to work hard to get out in this cold weather. Generally the cold scarce street crime away naturally, but you have a fear once it starts to warm up and we get into the summer celebration season that we might see a very bloody summer. It doesn't mean that that's not going to reverse course, but it certainly is something we should be looking at.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, and it's I talked about this at nauseum now and how the court system is not doing anything to protect the community. I just had an officer call me this past week. It was just furious. He had a court case where a young man driving drunk hits and kills somebody aggravated vehicular homicide literally kills somebody driving a car. He ends up getting six months at River City in a three years of probation. I mean literally a slap on the rift. You know, I spent a couple of years in our traffic unit back in the early two thousands, where if you got a conviction for an aggravated vikio homicide, you took somebody's life because you were drunk, you were high, whatever else, you were looking at minimum five six years in prison.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and now.
Speaker 1: Six months, six months, and this person's going to be back running around on the streets. You know, when there are no consequences for your actions. This is exactly what we're seeing. I mean, people are just going to continue to shoot each other because they're not fearing any kind of consequence.
Speaker 2: Well, no question, we saw the His name was Robert Shall. He was charged with murdering the drive by shooting that killed Justin Johnson when Thursday Night football was in town last year. It was the Bengals name. But you're right in front of the end between tavern. This guy's weren't an ankle monitor for charges considering a concealed weapon of legal gun possession a gun under disability. He got a twenty thousand dollars bond, paid ten percent of that in electronic monitoring. Back in interview, you know he's around shooting people with an ankle monitor on. We also recall the pivotal moment at Fountain Square where Shaquille Ferguson said it was dell self defense. The people he shot through the window of City Bird Chicken were actually armed and pointing a gun at him. And that's you know, where people are around on Fountain Square. He was put on probation a month before for a violent crime. Is this whole narrative with judges being two lax and also the enforcement and getting people off the streets who are in violation of breaking or wearing their ankle monitor outside the alerts go off. Have we got any better about that since the summer?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: I think you look at Cincinnati wanted to be a sanctuary city. Apparently the Hamilton County Courthouse he's become a sanctuary for criminals. There's just no accountability. And as long as we continue to see that no accountability, you know, if there's no consequences, people are going to go out and do whatever they want. They're going to commit violent crime, knowing that they're going to be right back out. And that's exactly what we're seeing.
Speaker 2: Why do you think judges aren't listening to this outcraft from the public.
Speaker 1: I think some of these judges they ran on this, they ran on bail reform, they ran on making sure that you know, there's this social justice, all of these things, so they're not being shy about it. And it's what the county's voting for. You know, we had some fantastic judges that have recently been you know, kicked out of office in exchange for judges who have said, no, we want lower no bail, or we're doing cashlest bill, We're doing all these things. So it's exactly what they're saying they want to do, and for whatever reason, the people in the county are going for this, and it's just it's making this county much more dangerous and it's going to continue to.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, you know, the county can cover continues to vote and look look at it, you know, despite the problems with Terry Thigi and we'll get into that in just a second. Ball these things and at the end of the day, we just elected all the people that had a hand on this to begin with, it's not a concern for the resident Cincinnati, why should it be concerned for you?
Speaker 1: Then one might ask, well, and that's that's the hard part is because you know, every police officer, like much self Swort, took an oath to protect the communities we serve, right, and it's extremely frustrating when you have officers that are going out doing great work getting guns off the street. You're getting violent offenders off the street, only to be let out. Yeah, you know, I'm quite honestly, I am surprised that the doors in the courthouse haven't come off the tracks because the door is revolving so quickly. Yeah, it's just it's it's ridiculous and it's frustrating to see that it's going on, and it makes cops feel helpless a lot of times.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Ken Cober, president of the Queen City Lodge FOP, on the show this morning on seven hundred WLW, and talking about the shooting last night. We have a steady stated of shootings here on North Side and you look at that one in particular, Ken, that's troubling because there's a business owner. I was watching the news last night. I think it was five and this guy owns an appliance place and it's in front of his building shot up. He said, yeah, it's not the first time he goes. I'm thinking about moving off the main strip out of the way. You know, here's a community like Norris Side. Generally there's crime there, but it's not like the areas that typically we see when it's started. When bullets start flying around there and people going, hey, listen, I'm out, that should be a wake up call to those leading our city.
Speaker 1: You would think you would think the elected leaders would look at this and see that businesses are frustrated, citizens are frustrated, the police are frustrated. Maybe we should change our ideology. But then again, you continue to get re elected. So apparently, you know, the people that are speaking out about crime, the people that are speaking out against the violence, or maybe the minority of their voters.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't either. I mean, I get it. We have to look at you know, we're locking people up from marijuana possession and stuff like that, and clearly that was wrongheaded. And now we're talking about expunging records and banning the box. I have no problem with that. But when someone picks up the gun and commission of a crime of a violent felony and then they get released on their own recognizance to go out and do it again, they completely thumb their nose at the system. I mean, you're past the point of reform. I would think at that case, if you didn't learn your leus in the first time, why are we giving you a second chance. I think that's fair. I think most people in Cincinnati's voters look at that and go, yeah, that that seems about right. If you're going to be a predator with a weapon, uh, and you don't get the message the first time and you do it literally, why you're well, you just got to you walked out. Of course, someone just right coun walked out of court basically and reviolated after promising they'd get a job and be on community controlling all these wonderful things they promised. A judge, I'm sorry when you break it. I don't think there should be a third chance.
Speaker 1: No, I completely agree. I absolutely agree with you. And unfortunately that is not the ideology of many of these judges in Hamilton County, and there is going to be a direct correlation between a bloody summer and you know, these criminals not being held accountable. We're going to see a time and time again. I'm mean, look at you know, just just from the city aspect. You know, they just re elected all the city council, you know, the mayor. Yeah, and it was said, look, we're this is we're all for cashless bail, we're all for our bonds, and they vote them. So it's clearly this is what they want. Yeah, So this is what they're gonna get.
Speaker 2: This is the effect of that too. And it's certainly not everyone, but it's enough towards a steady drum beat. And the crime numbers are going back up again a very very small sample, and you're talking in different fan like seven last year and ten this year. But still it's not the right trajectory and it's not a good look for these folks. I'll also ask too that you know, if if all of this stuff about getting rid of Terry Thiji was driven by the rise and crime, the problem if the numbers are going back up again, is this all on Terry Thigi And not only that, the fact of the matters. I think the Inquirer just did a piece on this. The other day, going what what is good? The contract's going to expire with the local law firm with' taft in literally just a week or so. That said, hey, we got to get this thing wrapped up. And there's still nothing coming out about She's still the chief technically, and Henny is still the interim chief. That doesn't look like it's changed anytime soon. I meant, how much longer do you have to investigate to find out why you fired her in the first place.
Speaker 1: It's funny. Trying to blame it in the chief of police for crime is like blaming McDonald's for somebody being obese. It's it's nonsense. You know, there's only so many things the police chief can do. There's only so much that the police can do here. We're one hundred and forty hundred and fifty officers short. Can't be everywhere. At the same time, you know, at some point there's going to have to be a culture shift within the city of Cincinnati to say, you know what, we're going to find a way to resolve our differences instead of picking up a gun because we're upset with somebody. And until that changes, you know, we're going to see kind of the same thing, and then until judges decide, you know what, if you're carrying a gun and you're committing a violent crime, you're going to go to prison and you're going to go there for a long time. Until those things change and it's actually publicized. Yeah, I'd love to see the headlines of, you know, the latest homicide suspect, you know is going to spend the next thirty years in prison for taking somebody's life. Now, that might actually get somebody's attention. But until then, all of these headlines of you know, four people shot here, two people shot here, it's almost become just like background noise. I think people are so desensitized to all they're like tall. They wake up and see there is oh, oh, big surprise, there's another shooting in Cincinnati, and somehow it's become acceptable. And until that changes, until that mindset changes of look, we actually value human life and we're not going to tolerate this nonsense. And it starts with elective officials, it starts with these judges. Until those things change, you're going to continue to see the same thing over and over.
Speaker 2: Well, relative to the Chief Fiji investigation, that she's still hanging and twisting in the wind because she is technically not fired, well not fired at all, because we've got to find an investigation as to why we fired in the first place. I think does that hamstring things for you in a sense that you know, we've got well, we've got to do more research to find out why we fired in the first place. That's not a good I don't think that sits well. And maybe they just hope we forget about it. But the other element of this is is Adam Henny, who through all in accounts that I here is a good guy. He just how much juice could he have if he's still the interim chief.
Speaker 1: You're absolutely correct, you know, it's it's doing a disservice to him. It's doing a disservice to all the other men and women that were in this uniform that we're all We're all just kind of in limbo right now. It's like, okay, well, you know, he's the interim chief, so there's some changes that he can make, but any any change of any real, real, uh substance isn't going to happen until we have a permanent chief. And I understand that, but we're just going to keep on dragging this along. You know, who knows what's going to happen at the end of this month, and then you know where do we go from there? Are they gonna are they going to bring her back or are they going to say, okay, well you know Adams now the chief who knows well. But this this just keeps on dragging.
Speaker 2: It's also not unlike the you know, the the what happened over the summer too, with the big fight downtown after the music festival, and like that case just simply no one's talking about. It's just simply evaporated. We're waiting for Yeah, the testament it came out from the prosecute off was like, well, it wasn't the racial beatdown that we thought it was. Actually the white guy was a victim. And ever since then, the people who have called for, you know, the heads of white peop people essentially we've got to prosecute this guy like everybody else turns out there now no one's talking about. It's just still like simply f I've never seen a case that big go away and literally in the corners of hush conversations around the city, that's all you hear. But no one's talking about that either it's I wouldn't call it a conspiracy or cover up because you can't do that. But I think the THEIJI case in this are remarkably similar is that, yeah, it doesn't fit the narrative and kind of made it go away.
Speaker 1: Well, sure, you know, they put they put the cart before the horse, and then all of a sudden, now they're trying to backtrack and figure out, Okay, what do we do now? We put ourselves in a bad, bad predicament, and what do we do now?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, Also with the cameras, right, we had to for the first shooting at the Laurel Playground a couple of years ago. Uh, the cry was, hey, we're gonna put cameras all over. Well we didn't do that, and another eleven year old died in New Year's Day and still there was no you know, it's confusing, it's contradictory. We're getting, you know, double speak, and I don't know are the cameras going out but I thought I saw they were, but I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Ironically enough, Chief Henny put together a group of police officers that this isn't really their job to be doing these things, but most of them have a really substantial it background and know how to do these things that they've actually taken from their assignments, put them in a group together and have been going out and installing cameras. This has typically not been the job of sworn officers, but they're they're making it work, and I know a lot of it has been done very quickly. They've worked a lot of hours to try to get all these cameras functioning and to take the new cameras that they have and get them up. But while that's being done, then their normal job is suffering, just because you know, they can't obviously can't be two places at the same time. So I mean, they're they're just trying to make make it work with what the resources that they have, which it is certainly admirable that they're getting it done.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, we'll leave it there. Way to shooting on Valentine's Day and a party bus, one dead, one wounded. Sunday morning, one north side gun play breaks out for a club, Bullets flying over the street. Some of the buildings themselves and storefronts are hit with you can just see the broken glass and the remains of the shooting itself. To what two people killed, two injured there, and then last night they found a body of a female dumped at Lynn and Poplar Street. So the bloody cold weather, it doesn't really make a lot of sense, but we're starting to see a spike in these violent crimes and murders despite the fact we've had an extremely cold struck. Normally it doesn't happen. It makes and I think it's fair to ask, well, crap, if it's this cold and the weather's is bad and there's still we're still seeing a rate of homicides increasing over the first two months of the year, that begs the question, well, what about when it gets warmer? Are we in for a bloody summer? We hope not, and hopefully we'll find a way through this. Ken Kober, president of the Queen City's Lodge the FOP, thanks again for jumping on this morning. Brother appreciates you be well, sure appreciate take care. We got to get a news update in the very latest with the weather situation. Warm it up now. It feels great outside, but we got a lot of fog again this morning. And of course the passing of Jesse Jackson making news today dead at the age of eighty four, Scott's Loan Show. This is seven hundred w time to talk.
Speaker 7: About money, how to make it, how to keep it, and how to keep others off your stash. This is all Worth Advice with Andy Schaeffer. Andy Shaffer's here on this Tuesday morning. Welcome buddy.
Speaker 6: How are you great, Scott?
Speaker 1: How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm doing fine. Let's talk a little cash money here. Earlier in the show ten oh seven, if you missed it, Greg Lastin's here again from the Buckeye Institute and he has been testifying a lot in front of the state legislature. We have another bill, I think the third as many bills that are out there to try and figure out what AI looks like in Ohio. Bottom line is we have data centers, we have AI, as I mentioned, electric vehicles, we have crypto heck, we have advanced manufacturing we've talked about which is the future of Ohio and getting and keeping jobs here. We're in the top in the US right now for data centers and we want to be number one. That also means the awkward dealing with communities, not that that's a bad thing. We should have a say in what's in our backyard. And there's concerns over how fast it's growing. We going to make sure we get it right because you only have one bite at the apple that in particular, but we also look at our energy bills and you go, holy crap. You know, the Duke bill comes in, You're like, good, what it's like a mortgage. It's like a card payment right now. And Greg said earlier data centers alone are projected to consume nearly ten percent of US electricity by twenty thirty. So we're seeing this growth and it's just it's got a hockey stick up. That means the price of energy for all of us are going up, and that's a major concern as we plan for our future.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and I think that it's important for us to understand what kind of infrastructure is going to be necessary. I know that data centers right now are a hot topic. They are necessary for moving forward and continuing to advance our own economy and our society. You know, with the emergence of AI, they're going to be particularly important. So I think, from you know, a point of view in Washington, you know, the most important thing is figuring out the best way to get out in front of this, to make sure that we do have energy that's available for everybody that's at a decent costs, so that we can all thrive. You know, AI in general is a hot topic right now. People are really concerned about, you know, what does it mean, What does it mean for my job? How is it going to be implemented? You know, what is the cost you know to supply this type of technology to everybody? And data centers are going to be a big part of that. You know, we did see last week that stocks, particularly tech, had a rough week. The S and P and Nasdaq both were down sharply, and a lot of it has to do to tech and AI warnings. You know, there's weak guidance, there's sector rotation. You know that hurt a lot of the sentiment. But you know, it's going to be interesting to see moving forward. You know, and from a social perspective, these data centers are enormous and I know that there is a little bit of pushback from different communities that don't want these around in their area, but we all need them and so hopefully we have a lot of smart people that are trying to figure out the solution to the problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, from money standpoint here, I'm sure that people wanted to put their money and forward growing and you know, the boom and energy. We just don't know where to do it right. It's we want to find the next Tesla, we find the next Apple, and it seems to be in the generation, but in particular the transmission business.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and I think, you know, with the transmission business, that could be a big area as well. But fortunately, I think most people are probably invested in a lot of these different energy sectors and might not even realize it. If you have a pretty well diversified four one K, it's likely within a lot of those funds you have significant exposure to technology, infrastructure, energy, those types of things. You know, you probably look under the hood and see what you actually own, whether it's mutual funds or exchange rate of funds, and see where you're at. You know, to me, I think you know, the market is responding a lot to the uncertainty within technology. There was a post written by a tech entrepreneur, his name is Matt Schumer that went viral. It was titled something Big is Happening, and what that had to do with was his idea that AI is going to be the death of the American job particularly in the white collar industry, and it got over eighty million views. That had a little bit to do with the downturn in tech last week. Now, I don't think there is any objective information that suggests that that could actually happen. This was more antidotal than anything else, and more of an opinion. You know, when we look at these selloffs that we've had over the last year, and even over the last month, we had you know, you know, a downturn in April. We also had some uncertainty with Oracle, and some of these things have already continued to come back, and so I think we don't want to overreact and panic just because that we have opinion pieces where somebody is you know, overall you know, predicting doom and gloom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, and so you see this, you go, we had a little setback with tech, you know, the S and p NASDAC both down sharply last week, and the question would be why, And it's all AI driven. So take me through. Maybe it's a case where people look at and go, Okay, this is all great and it's the future, but when can I make money when lets started making a profit here?
Speaker 6: Well, I think that people have.
Speaker 8: You know, when you look at your four to one K over the last three years, you know we've had tremendous returns from an S and P standpoint, Well, the driver of that growth has been AI, Nvidian, particular, Microsoft, a lot of these tech companies were the reason that we've had significant gains in the markets over the last three years. So you know, if you're invested, we've all been benefiting from it over the last three years. And as long as you stayed in the market, you've been reaping these benefits. So when we look at kind of the metrics of AI, you know, where do we go from here? Is it something that we think that the prices continue to rise and the companies continue to be profitable, or do we feel like, hey, this might take my job. There's even talks of you know, white collar jobs being taken because you can instantly access this information and it will just regurgitate, you know, whatever you need to know from a financial standpoint of things that you need to do.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 8: You know, I push back on that a little bit. You know, there's a lot of skepticism around whether it's going to take white collar jobs or you know, in any of the industries. And the reason is is that we don't have any information that suggested that. Going back into two thousand when we had the internet boom, there was you know, a big fear there as well. And I think with a lot of these white collar businesses, which you don't take into account is the subjectivity of the work that they do, right. You know, I can certainly tell somebody the math into making good decisions from an investment standpoint, or whether it makes more sense to buy a car with cash or finance it, right, but there's subjectivity there.
Speaker 6: What makes you feel good? You know, how much money do you have?
Speaker 8: If you don't like to have that, even though the math says that you should probably finance it, maybe it does make sense for you.
Speaker 6: To pay it off with cash.
Speaker 8: So those are the types of things that AI is not able to generate. Is the emotional support and the subjective advice a lot of white collar people give to the everyday citizen.
Speaker 2: Hey, let's face it, we've heard this time and time and time again. With new technology, that's all my god, all these jobs are going to go away, and it just creates jobs that we haven't invented yet.
Speaker 6: That's right.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And you know, just like any industry. We've seen this in the Industrial Revolution with you know, when we started having you know a lot of mechanics that people thought were going to take their jobs and ultimately it just created other jobs. And I think from a consumer standpoint and from a citizen standpoint, most workers just need to be able to adapt now, and this isn't something that's going to happen overnight. You know, there's no data out there that suggests that we're going to have AI start to cut a lot of jobs. There's been a lot of surveys done with executives and major industries that say, yeah, and we might not be hiring a little bit more, but we're not really cutting jobs due to AI. You know, there might be two percent cuts broadly across you know, all different companies and sectors, but we don't see any data that would suggest that. So I think for the consumer, it's about hey, over the next ten fifteen years, I might have to adapt to learn new skills and be able to adjust, but I don't foresee this being the end of.
Speaker 6: Modern employment, right right.
Speaker 2: Andy Schaeffer from all Worth Financial simply money tonight at six and fifty five KRC just a little weekly tune up here from AI and the boom here in Ohio that we're seeing with building anyway that you'd read benefits. Let's get into the January inflation report, and we had kind of soft landing. Did we stick the landing to steal Olympic brains?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I mean we're getting there.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 8: I wasn't very thrilled with Jerome Pou in the FED coming out of the pandemic. I thought we were a little bit too slow to start raising interest rates. And you know the effect of that was twenty twenty two was very hard for markets. Not only were stocks down significantly, but bonds were down too. So really the only thing that performed well in twenty two was cash. And so let's push that a little bit forward. You know, the soft landing that we've seen over the last year, year and a half, two years, I think has been very effective. We were in a delicate dance of, you know, how quickly do we start cutting rates? You know, if we cut too fast, that could reignite it inflation. We certainly didn't want to do that, but you know, we had annual inflation coming at two point four percent, you know, and that was better than what economists expected. And that's the smallest year of year rise and core prices since you know, we saw the surge in twenty twenty one. Furthermore, you know, we're going to get some housing data this week, and the housing data has been the stickiest part of inflation overall. And come Friday, I'm sorry, come tomorrow, Actually it's going to be Wednesday. You know, We're going to get a lot of that data and I'm going to be really curious to see what it shows, and it might suggest that inflation is still coming down.
Speaker 2: Okay, So what was the biggest cost in when you look at the consumer price indexed at that big increase, we saw that at one point two percent rise. What was driving that?
Speaker 8: Well, we had prices of used vehicles, beef and veal and eggs that showed you know, some of that as well.
Speaker 6: But really it's housing that's driving it.
Speaker 8: Not only building starts and permits, but also rents as well. And so hopefully this will give a lot of Americans a little bit of ease. I know that, you know, my wife worked in the rental business as far as property management, and it has been hard on a lot of people that are renting when they continue to see their cost increase, But the owners of these organizations, they're having their cost increase as well. So inflation coming down is not only going to benefit business owners, but it's going to benefit the common citizen as well.
Speaker 2: Did you say that one of the drivers outside of used vehicles? Now, what do you say eggs is veal? Who the hell is buying veal?
Speaker 1: Where?
Speaker 5: Well? You can?
Speaker 2: You can you even get you know, I'm Italian, I love veal. We can't find veal?
Speaker 6: Well, you can if you lay out in the country. I mean I have I have some farmers up the hill.
Speaker 2: Here and I have to get a veal connection from you are a man of many, many connections. He's he's a facilitic.
Speaker 6: I have a guy.
Speaker 2: You got, I got a guy. I got a veal guy. I saw this headline about social security. Now could run out about moneyance Now it was like ten and fifteen years Now are like like six minutes from now, we could run out of money.
Speaker 8: Yeah, when we start talking about this, probably seven or eight years ago that the date was about twenty thirty five. Well then it went to thirty four and then thirty three, and now you know we're kind of looking at maybe twenty thirty two, and I think people start to get really concerned about it. Now when we talk about Social Security running out of money, that doesn't mean there's not going to be money paid into it, obviously, but the endowment at that point will become depleted, and people say, well, what's going to happen to my benefit? I think there's going to be three major things that might happen. Number one, for retirement age will likely be increased, so that's one thing that the government can do. The other thing is that they will likely have some government workers begin to pay into Social Security. But I think the biggest threat to the average American would be what they call means testing. And what's going to happen is is that they'll probably if you have a certain amount of income, you might have a decrease in your overall so Security benefit. Now, I suspect that that will be a pretty high number. The history of Congress suggests that they will position it as a tax on the rich, like they did in Night ten eighty three with a fifty percent provisional tax on Social Security, and also in ninety three when they implemented the eighty five percent provisional tax on social security. So to me, I think it's going to be a number upwards of over two hundred thousand dollars where you might start to see a trigger of a decrease in social security. So if you're retired and you have a financial plan in place, and you have a number of different types of accounts and registrations with different pots of money, you can massage those distributions to make sure you stay underneath certain income limits, you know, depending on what we're going to see. So I think it's smart to prepare now for the inevitability that we'll probably see some types of mean tests.
Speaker 2: Wow, and at twenty percent reduction and benefits of lawmakers don't step in. They're not stupid enough to let down, right.
Speaker 8: No, I don't think so, because you know, especially with the social security conversation. Yeah, that's a that's a nail on the coffin for politicians. They don't want to touch it. I remember when George W. Bush years ago suggested that, hey, we probably need to tackle social security.
Speaker 6: Well he got crushed, but he.
Speaker 8: Did, and he didn't speak a word of it after that, and since then, no politician has really touched it. And I don't suspect that we will touch it in probably till the eleventh hour because nobody really wants to address it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean you can't even get them to show up to do their jobs for crying out low. They keep shutting it down. And then they've got another vacation built in. So what's the rush here? In six years we've got you know, that's two more election cycles for crying Well, well, a lot.
Speaker 8: Of them figure they're probably not going to be there anyway, so it's not their problem, you know.
Speaker 2: But I mean, if you're elected to the Senate today, six years from now, your terms up, I means that's the issues right here, right now.
Speaker 8: Yeah yeah, and if you want to get re elected, it's going to have to be addressed. And again I think, you know, Congress has shown that the way that they position this stuff is a tax on the rich, and most Americans usually go for it. And there are solutions, but we'll see, you know, the kind of the action that they do take.
Speaker 2: Gotcha hey real quick here, I know we always take Hey, well, what's what's coming up in the next week. I think the big thing is whether or not the Supreme Courts can rule on tariffs.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's coming up February twentieth.
Speaker 8: You know, the FED members are going to basically testify and give their opinions to the judicial branch and basically say, hey, here's what we think. And it will be interesting to see because you know, if we have to unwind this, I don't understand how it's going to be all unwine. Do we give them money back? You know, how is that going to affect the economy. I don't think that tariffs are going to be rescinded or they they are going to consider it unlawful, and I think most Americans don't believe that's going to happen either. Otherwise we would probably see the markets already respond in a less favorable way, and I just haven't seen that yet.
Speaker 2: Okay, Good Andy Shaffer all Worth Financial Simply Money is the show and airs week nights at six. I'm fifty five k RC for the full version of that. This is kind of the abbreviated version, but you get a snapshot of your money as we head into this week as well. So Andy, all the beast. We'll talk again next Tuesday. Appreciate you, thanks again, Okay, Scott, thank you all right. With that, we've got news on the way in just minutes. The Bill Cunningham Show at twelve oh seven this morning here on the Home of the Red seven hundred WWT, Cincinnati,