Speaker 1: Good morning, Welcome to the Big Outdoors News Radio seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati, home of the best Bengals coverage.
Speaker 2: And it is wah ship Hart and guess what. Joe Thomas joins.
Speaker 1: This my good buddy from way the hell back in time, and we've managed to stay in touch, albeit very casually, if you will. You know, I follow his Facebook page and and all that, and he's one of the few out there that doesn't lie and put up photos that have no business being there or you know, weren't you know they were shot in you know, some other ho bolk state.
Speaker 2: But anyway, Joe.
Speaker 1: Thomas, uh, what is running right now in terms of your television.
Speaker 3: Right now? Chip, thank you for having me back. I appreciate it, you know, dude, it seems like you blaked. And it was when we started to show how many years ago, I don't know how it was long long ago.
Speaker 1: It was nineteen ninety five because this year was my thirtieth. Here there you go, there you go, and look at you look at later. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm just a little a little older. But I'm still having a good time, i know, and fit at the best I can be. That's what I can be.
Speaker 2: Okay, but no.
Speaker 3: Right now on Outdoor Channel, still with Outdoor Channel after all these years, and right now I've actually got two of our shows running, American Archer and then it's running five five times weekly, and then also Reeling the Outdoors. It's actually load lights. Reeling the Outdoors is running four times weekly here on Outdoor Channel, which is a fishing show. And so it's kind of fun right now because I get I'll get people to email me about the hunt, you know, one of the hunts they just saw on TV, and the next one is about a fishing trip. But the shows are doing really well still and I'm proud. I mean, we put a lot of work into them, but they they've they've stayed current. And you know, our producer is great. Jim Cranery does a great job.
Speaker 2: Jimmy's still with you.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, the longevity just amazes me really of the two of you. When you look at you know, everybody that's out there these days, you know, and it got really crowded ump you know maybe fifteen years ago. You know, have all the social media because the YouTube, you know, and then you know what my Outdoor TV. You know, everything that's out there and it's amazing that the longevity you've been able to manage just just just.
Speaker 2: Beyond me, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean, we're proud the shows have been on. All of our shows have been on an excess of twenty years on Outdoor Channel. And you know, we've had to change with the times a little bit. You know, we are a TV production and but but we also offer the you know, the sponsors, which is what we also offer them a lot of social media value and content and that type of thing. So you change with the times. But at the end of the day, people still love hunting and fishing and that's what that's what we do, and that's what we we we show them And you're right, none of my stuff's made with AI. It is boots on the ground. It's a real deal. You see. If you see it, it really happened, good or bad.
Speaker 2: Oh, I believe you.
Speaker 1: I've known you long enough to know that that is you know the way it's done. So I you know, big congrats to you, and you know I know that, Uh, you've got a few more years left and and you're gonna make the most of those.
Speaker 2: Now, are you done filming?
Speaker 1: Say for the next couple of months, will you pick it up again here shortly?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: Well, actually, right now I'm in the you know, white Tail. It's whitetail season, so you know, I'm filming just about every day. Uh, in a tree stand right now in southern Ohio near in my home, which is great. I can sleep in my own bed. Uh. Did I jump to Kansas here? I drew a Kansas tag, So I'll be filming in Kansas and in the middle we're trying to shoot a fall Lake Erie episode before it gets too cold, you know, try to catch them one of those blade baits up there, one of the big stall them out there biting. So I'm already filming for next year.
Speaker 1: To answer your question, well yeah, I mean that's basically how it has to work. I mean, you film now for something that comes up in you know, it could be next year. If you're doing the White Tail right now, of course, that's when it's done because it's not live so to speak.
Speaker 2: And I think people understand that.
Speaker 3: You know, right, and we try to run you know, we are a lot of our shows run the time of the year coincides with the time of the year we run them. But yeah, we're almost a year out, almost always a year out. Now, you know, anything you see on social media, we try to keep that by the day, you know what I mean, happen today. Yeah, and so that's kind of nice. We've got that, you know that, that element is nice to keep people current. But then you know, there's like I said, everything that a year a year hot behind or ahead. I guess I shoot a year ahead. But it's it's it keeps me busy. The schedule is intense, always intense, and we we've traveled to some to some crazy places to do it. I love it. I really did well. You know.
Speaker 1: Coming up we're going to talk about one of those crazy places that I know you did probably early last summer. And this is a good time for it because those the people heading for their stands right now or maybe they'll duck by whatever it might be, they don't want to hear how to do how to do anything better with, you know, whatever their forte is, whether it's bow hunting or duck hunting. They could care lest they already know everything. So Joe Thomas, sit tight, We'll be back more of the Big Outdoors. News Radio seven hundred w l W Cincinnati and We're back the Big Outdoors News Radio seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati. Stick Arounds could be a hell of a good time at the Big One today, Gary Jeff walkers up after the news at the bottom of the hour, and uh, I like Mike the science guy. You know, he's pretty slick, you know. But then Steve from Etton with his fifty whatever you want to call him. You know, it is a lot of fun, a lot of storytelling, you know.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 1: Also Dick and Dayton, Dick and Dayton. God, I'm glad I don't take phone calls. I don't know if I could handle that. I'll let everybody else handle that anyway. Joe Thomas is with us this morning, and we're just catching up years and years of being mutually acquainted. Now, Joe, you were somewhere in Asia hunting last summer, and I think it was one of those countries that ended in Stan, you know, like because Zurkistan, Afghanistan or Jerkistan, I can't.
Speaker 2: Remember what it was.
Speaker 1: Somebody over there must be named Stan. To have all those countries with the ending of their their country name Stan, I'm not right up on that him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, well I can tell you one thing. All right, one thing's for sure, you're right. I was in Asia and my dream was to finally get to do all the continents bow hunt on all continents were huntings allowed. The only one you can't hunt on is Antarctica because there's nothing down there you're allowed to hunt. So Asia was the last one for me. It's on my bucket list. But I was told do not go to a country that had stand in its name. It was unsafe, So I did not do that. But okay, I forgot about Yeah, I mean, actually there's some good hunting in a lot of those places. But I chose Mongolia and it was kind of like a dreams. I can remember years ago watching these dudes, you know, hunt, you know in the fact, in the old Outloork TV days, they were they were hunting these ibecs and these sheep off the uh you know, the Asian ponies up in the mountains, and I thought, you know, there's probably not even a handful ever been killed with a bow. I'm gonna go give it. Heck, I'm gonna go try it. And uh I booked a Mongolian uh Ibex hunt. Yeah, it's actually the Altai species, which is at the Altai Mountains of Mongolia, and it was it was one of the best and worst experiences of my life. The travel is the worst. When I tell you the travel, I'm talking. Uh. They canceled one of my flights and it was thirty hours in a land cruisers, dodge and dodge and sheep and goats, and the last six or eight hours is on rock with no pavement. It was for real. But yeah, once we were there, it was amazing. Honestly, Chip, it was, Uh, you know, we're staying in the yurts, the traditional yurt nomadic houses and uh, you know, our we our guides, we were herders and horsemen, and they had the little Asian ponies, you know, they're they're they're stooped strong, with half the size of ours, and they go they'll go up in more hundred thirteen thousand feet and they can they just carry it, carry up the mountain. Thank god they were there, because thirteen thousand feet. But no, I ended up taking an amazing ibex with my bow. I actually went there with a good friend of mine, local beaconn orthopedic surgeon, David Argo, and he he took one with his rifle and but we had an amazing time. We really did it was it was just one of those things. I'm really glad I did it. Probably wouldn't do it again. Ship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess there's no way to fix what could go wrong in a place like that, because you're kind of screwed, you know, and you're you're the first parton the only person I've ever talked to that's been to Mongolia.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think Mongolian.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking about Indiana Jones movie uh in Mongolia with the you know, with the guys with the you know, the sheep outfits, you know, all that kind of cool stuff. That's that's what kind of comes to mind. Was that is that how you feel?
Speaker 3: Well? It is you know, it's it's sandwich between kind of sandwich between Russia and China. I was hunting nine miles from the China border, Yeah, which was very intimidating, you know, just to be honest with you. And but Mongolia, you know, I complained about that thirty hours that I didn't get to fly. I had to ride in a land cruiser. But it was pretty interesting. It is an absolutely beautiful country. I mean we're talking vast, green, open spaces, lots of mountains in lakes and stuff, and it's and the people are super cool. I mean, I didn't understand the word they said.
Speaker 2: They were talking about, right, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: That's right. But they're very accommodating and really good hunters. These guys were good. My guide was one of the best that I've ever had. And you know, our ibec's are extremely difficult. And we went down into a canyon, you know, and stalked and came around on this on this ibex and I made the shot, which was pretty cool. One of the top things I've ever done in my life.
Speaker 2: Well awesome.
Speaker 1: I know you got some more bucket list, but I don't know what the hell it could be. Maybe we'll find out after the right Uh nonetheless, uh, just well, may mentioned a couple more things about Mongolia when we get back.
Speaker 2: So Joe Thomas, sit tight.
Speaker 1: We got some bills, Pai chip Hart The Big Outdoors News Radio seven hundred w l W Cincinnati Back in the moment.
Speaker 2: W l W, Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: Joe Thomas is my guest, and we're catching up in his uh all of his adventures, and he's gonna have more adventures, so I'll get to talk to him again down the road, which is which is always fun. Uh, Joe, just a little bit more on Mongolia. A uh with the language barrier, I mean, and did they like America?
Speaker 2: Did they like Americans?
Speaker 1: I mean, if I'm going anywhere out of the country, I want to know if where I'm going, whether they like me or hate me before.
Speaker 2: I get there.
Speaker 3: No. I think I think they're probably one of the most neutral countries that you know that you can go to the language barrier. They speak zero English unless you have an interpreter. The cool thing about when you you know, this hunt that I did, is that was part of the deal that that we we had an interpreter embedded with us, even in the field. The guy was hiking with us and carrying a pack and and uh, that was really really important. And and there's several different dialects inside of Mongolia. We were on extreme one end, and and that they they they their language doesn't exactly mesh perfectly, which is kind of strange. But it's like the difference between a New York and a Southern Kentucky accident. I guess you know what I mean. It's quite you had trebles like yao. The guys like what's y'all? But no, it was that part though with the interpreter, it was it was fine. People, super friendly, just they're just out there trying to make a living. The average wage of a herder in Mongolia. The average wage of a family in Mongolia that are sheep herders and cattle farmers out there is about four hundred dollars a month, So that gives you an idea. They live truly off the lane, and I just thought it was the coolest thing ever.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I'm not spent any time really looking at it. I remember some from my geography class, but that's the extent of it.
Speaker 3: Uh. Uh.
Speaker 1: They're not at war with anybody, so you don't have to dodge bullets, okay, at least in corect and to me, I mean, and how they remain neutral between China and Russia is totally beyond me, uh because I've never heard of them being involved in the war since gang Is Khan I think is from Mongolia.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's true, you know that's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so there's probably so for some reason. Uh, nobody wants to really piss these people off.
Speaker 3: Right right. Well, and they're the least populated, they're giants, a huge land mask with very very few people, and of them live in the city of Ulamatar. So it's kind of like Greenland. Nobody's gonna go you know. Yeah, well no, nobody's gona mess with Greenland either, because you know it's well they tried. Okay, well I get that. I forget about that. Okay, skips that I said that, Okay, Okay, but no, man, it was it was. It was a cool trip. Like I said, it was one of those things. I'm glad I did it. You know. It was like, uh, you know, I love hunting though that I know people that when I'm with people that that are hunters, that the real hunters, that just makes it special for me. And I thought it was just cool.
Speaker 1: You can't get any more real than that. So now what okay, now, now what do you do? Okay, you've been on every continent that allows bow hunting. Okay, you know, nothing's going to evolve in in Antarctica in the in the you know, the near future, a couple of thousand years maybe okay, maybe something will accidentally see them there.
Speaker 2: Okay, So what what? What? Oh?
Speaker 1: By the way, is the program airing uh right now?
Speaker 2: Or has it aired, Will it air?
Speaker 3: No, I'm really glad you asked that. Ship. Yeah, my man, my Mongolia show will air on Outdoor Channel here in about two weeks. Oh and so just watch the guide for it, and uh, it's it's going to air here in about two weeks and uh it'll air on Outdoor Channel as always. And uh, yeah, I'm kind of timely that we would talk about that. I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: In fact, if you think about put a put a link to your schedule coming up.
Speaker 2: On your Facebook page too.
Speaker 1: Did I know you get a lot of hits.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, we'll do that for sure.
Speaker 1: I was always a marketing guy, you know that just couldn't help myself. What can I say? You know, if you need help, just call me on. You know you got creamer. Oh by the way, uh, I guess one thing is good to take an orthopedic surgeon with you on a trip like that, okay from from Beacon.
Speaker 2: You know what, that's a hell of a good idea.
Speaker 3: Okay, really yeah, I didn't plan it that way, but the fact that he was a doctor was could have been a nice thing. He brought plenty of sutures and things like that in case you fell what we did. But the other thing that.
Speaker 1: The other thing before we go is and I know I cut you off. I'm sorry about that, but you know, I know you do that to your guests. Okay, uh no, So the other thing, the other person you should take with he is a pharmacist.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, there you go. Hey, I just checked that chip. The Mongolia Show airs the week of December eighth.
Speaker 2: On that excellent Joe, we gotta go. It's great catching up.
Speaker 1: You have fun in that deer stand and uh you know, by guy, we'll see it at all the shows in the winter first quarter too.
Speaker 3: All right, you got that, buddy, sounds good ship.
Speaker 2: Thanks you, all right, bye bye. All right, we got to hit a break the Big out the Worst News Radio, seven hundred w l W, Cincinnati, back in the Roman, one hundred W l W.
Speaker 1: They we're back, Big Outdoors News Radio, seven hundred WL Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: Just a little bit of Poe Perie this morning.
Speaker 1: Of course, I always love it when Trump's uh you know, I guess Fish and Wildlife Service or or Interior Department, you know, decides to do things that are popular with the hunting, fishing, and outdoor community.
Speaker 2: But uh uh if.
Speaker 1: You recall, Colorado was getting their wolves from Canada because none of the Western states were interested in providing Colorado with wolves, and uh it was it did go to a vote to I guess, uh reintroduce wolves. So anyway, the Trump administration has told Colorado their wolves must must now come from the US Rocky States and not Canada, which means essentially they aren't getting any more wolves. And quite frankly, uh, it's a very populated state. It really wasn't, at least in my opinion, a hell of a good idea to reintroduce wolves into a state that's populated as Colorado. Okay, And of course some of them went back. They went north in Wyoming, and uh, Wyoming doesn't want them, so that took care.
Speaker 2: Of it, you know, I guess pretty quickly.
Speaker 1: So anyway, Uh, keple love stories like that.
Speaker 2: Uh what do we got?
Speaker 1: We gotta new state record fish in Kentucky and it's a big one people. Uh, let's see. Uh uh what's his name? Okay, hold on, hold on, let me find you okay.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Joe Johnson landed a seven point nine inch point one six pound river chub from the Red River in pouk County using pow County using fly fishing tackle, and uh he has a new state record.
Speaker 2: I mean, this thing's huge, point one six pound.
Speaker 1: I mean, heck, what could you say about graduate congratulations? It was a heck of a fight, that's all I got to say. All Right, I'm out of here, Danny boy, just care. Jeff is next the Big Outdoors News Radio seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati'd be safe in the woods, safe on the water, and safe in that deerstand.