Speaker 1: This is the West Miller Radio Show, live from the original montgomery In, brought to you in part by Skyline Chilly feeling good. It's Skyline time and the original montgomery In and the montgomery In at the Boathouse, home of the world's Greatest Ribs. Now, here's Dan Horde, Terry Nelson and You See's head coach Wes Miller on the Home of the Bearcats seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: It is showtime, A very pleasant, good evening, everybody, Greetings from the original montgomery In, home of the world's Greatest Ribs. Welcome to the West Miller Radio Show. I'm Dan Horde of former Bearcats stand out Terry Nelson, and the star of the show, the head coach of your You See Bearcats. Let's hear it for Wes Miller. We have an awesome crowd here at the original montgomery In tonight. We greatly appreciate it. I know coach does too. After two really tough, heartbreaking losses where you were in position to win and just weren't able to pull it out in the final three or four minutes of those games. Players are resilient. High level athletes have to be tell us about kind of the emotional tenor of the team right now.
Speaker 3: Well, first, guys, i'd like to apologize for the way I came out of the locker room the other night, apologize that you obviously talked to you guys off.
Speaker 4: Air yesterday, but I want to say it on air.
Speaker 3: None of my emotions or anger or frustration was directed at you. None of it was directed at any body of people in particular.
Speaker 4: You guys are the best. You guys know how I feel. I don't think you' all took it that way.
Speaker 2: We did not for the record, and it's completely unnecessary, but I appreciate the thought.
Speaker 3: No, it needs to be said, and then listen, there's a lot of there's so many awesome people. I love our fan base that there's standards here, there's expectations.
Speaker 4: When we don't meet.
Speaker 3: Those, it's extremely frustrating. I pride myself on being professional, handling it the right way when you're supposed to when you lead a program like this. At that moment, I did, and then for that, I'm sorry. But now it's time to move on and let's let's reach those standards.
Speaker 5: One of the things I love about it is you always come to face the music. H winter loss. You all, you don't send an assistant. You come now conferences. Conference term is different because you have media obligations, so you'll send one of that, but you always come out. My question is do you think you should take a.
Speaker 4: Moment to gather yourself?
Speaker 5: Because when I went and interviewed you down after the Clemson game, I believe it was I said take a moment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, absolutely, yeah, And again I needed.
Speaker 5: Because you're so invested in the game.
Speaker 3: Well, I think I think people appreciate this the because people care a lot, which is what makes this place so special, this program special. But I care as much as you could care about our program winning the basketball game. So when we lose the way that we did Saturday, or the way that we did at West Virginia, where you feel like you have the game in hand and have control of the game, you know, the emotions and the heartbreak and that what you feel for the players in the locker room. You know, that's real raw emotion, and yeah, you got to take a step back and take a breath, and then you know you can do what you have to do.
Speaker 4: But I was very frustrated. I was very hurt for our players.
Speaker 3: And just trying to figure out solutions for them, you know, to make sure that we're moving forward the right way together.
Speaker 2: So driving back from Morgantown yesterday, I had this thought about end of games. Anybody can play good defense for four minutes. It's hard to play great defense for forty but anybody can play good defense for four minutes. And now we're talking about the Big Twelve with incredible athletes, So it's really hard to get easy shots in the last four minutes of a tight game. West Virginia didn't get any, but they made two tough threes, including one that was borderlined impossible that they put into the kid's credit. How would you describe that challenge of trying to run offense and get the best shot you can get in the last few minutes of a tight Big Twelve game.
Speaker 4: Well, I think you said it.
Speaker 3: You're gonna try to generate an easy basket or the easiest possible basket you.
Speaker 4: Can, but you want to get a shot.
Speaker 3: And I think there's this balance of making sure that you're doing everything you can to execute to get a great shot, to get the ball in the right spot, but you don't want to turn it over. And I think some of the things you've seen in the last four minutes, we failed to even get the ball to the rim on possessions. That's extremely frustrating because if you get a shot, you still got a chance to go rebound the dang thing late in the game.
Speaker 4: So you're trying to get a shot. But you said it.
Speaker 2: You know, we.
Speaker 3: Lost two games here in the last four minutes. Houston got the layup in transition and that they got to put back on the dunk on the offensive rebound.
Speaker 4: But it wasn't like they were.
Speaker 3: Just coming down running a play and getting a great shot. They were having to really work and made a big isolation play late in the game to shoot it over the top. I mean, in our league, you're gonna run good action, it's probably gonna be defended in a close game, and then you have to be able to go make the next play.
Speaker 4: We worked at that.
Speaker 3: We worked at that going into the West Virginia game, and then we worked at that again today in practice.
Speaker 5: One of my partners sent me something where he did the percentages of shots from three that you guys take when it's guard to guard and the percentages when it touches the post or there's a paint touch and the and the percentage is almost double when the ball is touched in the paint, whether it's a post player or guards penetrating and kicking out and getting feet set in the whole.
Speaker 2: Nine over there.
Speaker 5: And I know you talk about this paint touches.
Speaker 2: And all the other things.
Speaker 4: Is that something that's.
Speaker 5: Discussed in your in your circles as you are preparing that we have to touch the paint to be better shooters.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we talk about inside out shots, you know, and we do chart paint touches. We don't share the paint touch number with the players during the game, but we do have them. But we talk about inside out shots. And you're right, I mean, think about it. Every kid growing up.
Speaker 4: What the ball?
Speaker 3: You know, it got passed to you from somebody rebounded it and passed it out right, you're stepping into the shot, you're in rhythm, you're square to the rims.
Speaker 5: Like managers, it's rebounding and passing it back to what you're saying about us is not exclusive to us.
Speaker 3: That's basketball, right, When the ball comes inside out, it's a higher percentage shot. There's exceptions to that because there's there's guys like Dayda Thomas, that it's hard for them to even get a look because the way they're being defended. And if they can get one on a swing or a pitch ahead, yeah, that's a great shot.
Speaker 4: For a guy like Dada and some others.
Speaker 3: But some guys need to just take the inside out ones and that's something we've been talking about showing film and holding accountable for In practice.
Speaker 2: Tyler McKinley came back the other night, first time he had played in five games. I thought he played well. He scored a career high six points, but he only played nine something minutes. Was that about all he was ready for. He hasn't really practiced much either over the last few weeks.
Speaker 3: His first day of practice since our Georgia game the day before our Georgia game was the day before the West Virginia game. So he went through that practice, not even every aspect of it, but for the most of it, and then we kind of didn't know how it would go, but he felt really good.
Speaker 4: I thought our our medical staff did a.
Speaker 3: Really nice job over from the Georgia game on of not just getting him to where maybe he could practice or play, but trying to get him back to being confident and feeling healthier about his knee. And so you know, he practiced again today and he looks good. He's he's obviously tremendously important to our team.
Speaker 4: Gisel James back in the starting lineup.
Speaker 5: He came out with a great first game, but his last two games, his shots have been He was one of seven in the Houston game, three of thirteen. The floor game has been good, but he is You're starting to see some I don't know if it's fatigue or just not having his legs under him yet, but the percentages are not there.
Speaker 3: You know, he has a small sample size right now, so I think let's just give it some time.
Speaker 4: He's he settles us down.
Speaker 3: We're a different offensive team with him back in the fold. A big picture of the numbers are saying that in our analytical stuff, we feel it, the players feel it. I know he'd like to have some of those opportunities back in the game, especially that pitch ahead turnover.
Speaker 4: We got a five point lead and we you know, we.
Speaker 3: Get the rebound and you know we got a chance to have a great offensive possession at three fifteen.
Speaker 4: I know that when he'd love to have back some of those looks.
Speaker 3: But listen, Gisel James Is being back is very good for Cincinnati basketball. It's been very good for our team and it'll really help us moving forward.
Speaker 2: Seannabiev was one for five in the game. He made one three, but I thought his shots were good. They were not from several steps behind the line. They were on the line, they were in rhythm. I feel like if those are the shots he takes going forward, he's going to make a bunch. Did you like the shots that he took in that game?
Speaker 4: Sure, he needs to play confidently. We need him to shoot the ball.
Speaker 3: You Terry talked about or maybe you did Dan, In the last four minutes of games, people are gonna be guarded and there's gonna be chances where guys have to go make a tough shot and make a play. Shawn's a guy that can go do that. We're gonna need that. Knowing the time to do it is important. But he's got We got a lot of big basketball ahead of us, and Shawn's gonna really break out.
Speaker 4: I really believe that.
Speaker 5: I'm a power forward that played with the land of power forwards back in the nineties when power forwards had value or big man had value. But Nick never threw me the ball. If I never wanted the ball, you know, he would look at me and if I didn't call for the ball with my hands, if I didn't say Nick, you know, I didn't call his name, if I didn't have my hands look excited, he would look at me and wave and I would, you know, go sitting on the ball screen and get out the way. But he would say. Hugs said, you know who shoots the ball the most? White, Nick shoots the ball the most. And then Corey said, because he's a ball hog, and he goes no, because he calls for the ball the most. I say that because I don't see Mustafa Child calling for the ball when you guys need a basket down low. And he's so good, his touch is so good, and it seems to me he allows defenders to easily front him and to negate him from a play without him trying to establish himself and get the ball. It's important for him to catch the ball for everything that the offense runs around, post paint, paint, touches, his turnaround jump shot, how the offense runs.
Speaker 2: If he catches the ball on the block, it's a different team.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm I'm I'm probably the hardest on Mustafa every day, you know, because I just think there's so much ahead of him. I think there's so much more room for growth, and he's still so young. He is in that in basketball, he's a baby still, you know. And I say that there's a compliment. Listen, the last let's go back to the second half against Houston, he was terrific.
Speaker 4: He was that game was great. He didn't call for the first second end of the game against Clemson. He's terrific. In the Houston game.
Speaker 3: An the West Virginia game, he's getting doubled in the post, and I think that's the next step. Right, he's starting to have success scoring back to the basket, and he's found his touch and we're allowing him now to shoot the jumper and the turnaround that I think has just helped his confidence. But the next step is then embracing that double team, you know, because that might mean you don't score down there, Terry, but it might mean you create offense for our team.
Speaker 4: All the double in the bat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think he got doubled twice and the last game wins a turnover one.
Speaker 4: He hits Gisel for in the first half, so I.
Speaker 3: Think we'll continue to build on that. But when they start doubling you, that's that's a good sign. That means people are worried about you. And then, as you said, and this has been the emphasis with him since the day he got the campus, when you catch it in the post box and you catch it at three or four feet, you can't be doubled because you're gonna shoot it before the double team gets there. And that part of his game he shows flashes of it. But when that becomes consistent, it's all over. Right, it's all over. He's going to be just completely dominant. So it's coming. But the effort and the approach every day is what it should be. There's not a day I come out of the gym and I'm frustrated with new working at it. And when you're that young and that gifted and you work at it like that is a coach, you're fine because you know what's coming. And I've seen improvement even here in the first part of the year.
Speaker 2: All Right, we're gonna take our first time out. We are alive with the original Montgomery in Home of the World's Greatest Ribs it's the West Miller Radio Show. Got a bunch of stuff to give away at the end of the show. We appreciate the bear Cat fans who are here on seven hundred WLW. We are back at the original Montgomery In home of the world's greatest Ribs and the West Miller Radio Show. Appreciate our engineer Joe Strucker, appreciate Joe Idel back in the studio, and really appreciate the Bearcat fans who are with us here tonight. We've got a bunch of stuff to give away. At the end of the show. We were talking about Mustafa chob prior to the commercial break. He will be going back to where he played last year on Sunday Cincinnati taking on UCF in Orlando. I would imagine he's probably not going to get the kindest greeting after transferring to a school within the conference. Do you even say anything to him about something like that, just prepare him for what he might face.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think previously, you know, maybe a couple of years ago, stuff like that, I wouldn't say much to any of these guys. But I think after you know, last year's conference season, seeing how you know, things affected our guys been way more proactive this year about, you know, trying to to just talk.
Speaker 4: About things with them because they're young people.
Speaker 3: And I think the thing that we have to remember about this generation is different than mine, different than Terry's, is.
Speaker 4: They don't just hear it in person, that hear it on.
Speaker 3: Their phones, you know, And I think that's a different that's an entirely different dynamic and paradigm, and so trying to find solutions for that, I think is very important. That's not just at Cincinnati, that's at any elite program or in any professional sports leader.
Speaker 5: Kishan Tiller got nine minutes in the previous game, and he was I thought his minness were really good. He came in and steady. You played a lineup I haven't seen before. You had three point guards on the floor with Daddy Thomas, Gisel James and Kishaan.
Speaker 4: Is that something that you'll see more going forward.
Speaker 3: I think it's just Terry about putting the most competitive guys that we can out there that are gonna play like, regardless of size, play bearcat basketball and play with some edge and toughness. And I've loved Keishawn's attitude and approach since we came back from Christmas, It's been what you.
Speaker 4: Want it to be.
Speaker 3: And you know, with Kerr going down with the shoulder, there's some opportunity there. I thought he made that made the most of that opportunity. In Morganton, Kerr.
Speaker 2: Tried to come back and play in the huge game after separating his shoulder in the first half. Gave it a you know, gave it the college try, played a few minutes and then absolutely had to come out and did get a three before he would he's crazy and that had to sit out the West Virginia game. How do things look for him going forward?
Speaker 4: You know, I hope sooner rather than later. Dan that that hurt, you know.
Speaker 3: I think the lineup of you talk about lineups, did lineup of dayDay Kerr and Gisel analytically was like our best offensive lineup that we've we've played in years, you know, in a very short burst. But we were feeling that in practice too. We're really excited about the moments that we had those guys together. So I can't wait to get back to that. But hopefully he'll be back soon. But as I told you guys, I think the last time we were up here when it comes to the doctor stuff.
Speaker 4: I'm the last guy to talk to.
Speaker 3: I know he wants he was He's so emotional, you know, in the Houston game when he couldn't play. He was emotional at halftime, emotional after the game. And you can tell it's just not quite himself because he wants to be out there.
Speaker 4: Watching Jalen Celestine.
Speaker 5: Every time he checks in the game, he's gotta it takes him like thirty seconds to unwrap stuff, and he's pulling stuff off, and he's got a heating pad on his back and he keeps leaving it in front of Dan and I and the managers.
Speaker 2: I'm looking like, are you guys gonna.
Speaker 4: Come get this stuff?
Speaker 5: Every time he comes out, he's like he's in a geriatric unit or something walking out, you know, there's some old man walking out. Then he comes in there and he's knocking down three after three. He's five to nine from three, and it's like, man, this dude is when we talk about him being a late shot clock maker and you didn't, like you kind of like surprised, and I'm like no. Then he comes right out and hits the late of the end of the shot clock shot and I'm like this guy just has a different level of focus at the end of clock situations.
Speaker 4: Are you noticing that? What I notice? All the crap that he has all?
Speaker 3: And then you know, this is this has been a strange thing, but I've never had this occur. We'll be in the time out and we're sitting there, right he's in the game, so he's sitting in one of the five chairs. He'll just stand up because you know, he's trying to keep his back from stiffing it up.
Speaker 4: And I'm sometimes I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, what the hell's he standing up for? Like we're only twenty seconds into this time out, but he's you know, he's I'll give him credit. The back surgery was serious this summer. You know, he basically didn't practice or he didn't do anything for three months or so, and then he was completely limited in practice. And you know, he's trying to do everything he can to get himself ready to play every night, and he's getting better and better and getting more up to speed what we're doing.
Speaker 4: But you know, there's one point.
Speaker 3: I thought, we we put together this team with all this experience, right, all these older guys and experience, and we put the team together, and then we looked up in a game right after a Thanksgiving week and there's like Key Shawn and Tyler McKinley and Sean and.
Speaker 4: Somebody else on the court.
Speaker 3: I'm like, there's like four In Moustapa there was there was three freshmen and the sophomore out there in a lineup, and I'm going, you know, And then the other side of it is, you know, the old guys are coming out with all their contraptions and stuff now.
Speaker 4: But you know, but I think, yes, we like the mix of it. But getting the ability.
Speaker 3: To have the oldest, most experienced guys on the court is important thing in the Big twelve.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about your game coming up on Sunday. UCF was not a team that was widely expected to be great this year. Their top twenty five got some really good wins to this point of the season. Now they lost their last game on the road at Oklahoma State. No shame in losing there, certainly, What do you make of UCF and the season they've had to date?
Speaker 3: Done a great job. It's it's like us, it's a completely new roster. You know, you're going to see that in college athletics now with all the changing around you.
Speaker 4: Know, sometimes you don't.
Speaker 3: Know do they get there right, But they did a great job of putting the team together, and they're so long, like they're huge. They they make other teams on tape look small that aren't small. I mean they're starting three.
Speaker 4: Man is six'.
Speaker 3: Nine do you know they start a seven foot or at the five they're they're they're starting To Riley coogle's sixty six. ATHLETIC i mean they. Are they're a massive team that jumps. Out they they're doing a great job of getting downhill and putting pressure on the rim getting. Fouled they're shooting a great percentage from three and not taking a ton of, them but they're shooting a great percentage when they. Do and it seems like it comes from different places with a bunch of different guys in double. Figures so now they've they've had a really nice start and top twenty five game on the.
Speaker 4: Road you have.
Speaker 5: A bona fide junkyard dog In Sincere, harris so you can sick on just about any guy out there on the. FLOOR i mean he is guarding and when you guys runs, on he finds himself guarding a big when he's when you need somebody just When hunt was, hot you Put harris on him and he cooled him. DOWN i, mean he just he does so.
Speaker 2: Much do you have to go with the other?
Speaker 5: Stuff like you get so much good stuff out of him on the, defense do you have to put up with some of the shots that you would like to get back from him on the offensive?
Speaker 4: End, No, NO i don't think it's put.
Speaker 3: UP i think it's just he's got to continue to mature as a player every because he's a good. Player and, yeah he's an, impactful winning, player and you know he's he's got to. Continue he has offensive ability and we have confidence in. It he works at it pretty hard every, day and so we got To he's got to continue to, mature to be in the right spots and make better, decisions AND i think he'll do.
Speaker 4: That he's a winning player.
Speaker 2: Absolutely Dayde thomas is making ninety five percent of his free. Throws no player AND u see, history has ever shot better than ninety in a. SEASON i, Heard, yeah that's, accurate that's. Accurate i'm An i'm an exceptionally Good papa shot. Player can can. Day they work with his teammates helping them become, better make them a free throwing. Coach it's it's been. EXTRAORDINARY i, mean thirty nine for forty, one that's.
Speaker 4: Crazy, yeah that's good. Stuff he's, uh he's really turned into a great.
Speaker 3: PLAYER i know there's some plays in the last game you'd like to have, back but he's he's turned into a real bear, cat big time, player big time, leader And i'm proud of all of his. Development with our free throw, shooting it'll continue to get some proved since the first part of the, year it'll get. Better we got to get back to getting fouled. Again you, know we haven't gotten fouled here the last couple, hals and we got to get back to getting ourselves to the free throw a.
Speaker 2: Long all, right do you have something you'd like that oruld you like to take a? Break, oh let's take a. Break all, Right we're gonna take a. Break questions from the audience when we. Continue we are live at the Original montgomery In home of The World's greatest ribs A News radio seven HUNDRED. Wlw we're back at the Original montgomery in all of the world's greatest ribs and The West Miller Radio Show here on News radio seven HUNDRED. WLW i THINK i just blew out some ear. DRUMS i apologize for. That brian has the mic in. Hand you're up first one.
Speaker 6: Man, hey, COACH i know that you and your staff are working really hard to try to turn this, corner AND i know that the players are working really hard to turn this. Corner but at the end of the, day you want them to still enjoy playing, basketball and you don't want it to be so much work that you hate what you're. Doing is there anything that you're doing to try to keep that balance and to keep the positivity along with trying to.
Speaker 4: Get over that hurdle that you're struggling with at the. Moment.
Speaker 3: Absolutely we had that talk after The houston, game and then we we actually played. Knockout like one of the, Kids, JACK i believe over, there one of my campers is sitting over, there who's been at our camp in the, summertimes but.
Speaker 4: Knockout it's a big camp.
Speaker 3: Game but the coaches and, players the coaches that were physically able played knockout and it's.
Speaker 4: Like anything like you just see a pure joy in those. Moments and then.
Speaker 3: We talked about how nothing can take that joy. Away that's why we all got into this at one. Point we all started playing just for the love of. Playing you can't lose, that and you gotta find joy in the, Work. Brian you gotta find joy in the. Process you gotta find joy in the opportunity to come back and compete again at the highest.
Speaker 4: Level you can't lose sight of.
Speaker 3: That so it's something that's a, message and then you try to find ways to remind guys of. That and then no matter, what you're, frustrated you're. Angry you want results to a.
Speaker 4: Level that's even hard to.
Speaker 3: Explain so you can't let yourself get caught up in that as a, coach because at the end of the, day it is supposed to be very.
Speaker 2: Joyful all, Right next, question, coach.
Speaker 7: Thanks for all you're doing for our Bear. CATS i have a, question how do you as a coach maintain the cohesiveness of the team when you have this portal system going? On can you speak to that a little?
Speaker 3: Bit, sure it's you, Know dan AND i were talking come off air here just a minute ago about the dynamics of college sports and how much they've. CHANGED i think that that's a different challenge than it used to. Be you, know like cohesiveness with With Dade thomas And Gisel james is. Simple we've been together for two and a half now almost going on, three three full. Years we've been through a lot. Together there's a level of trust that we, Have Like tyler McKinley's only in his red shirt freshman, year but Cruited tyler. McKinley i mean since the first MONTH i got, Here i've known him and his mother and his.
Speaker 4: Brother so there's.
Speaker 3: Relationships but some of this stuff with The portal now you don't even know anybody in any kind of way until after you spend time with them when they show, up you.
Speaker 4: Know so that's a.
Speaker 3: Different, dynamic and you're trying to find every single way that you can to create that.
Speaker 4: Coherences within the.
Speaker 3: TEAM i think it shared adversity is the best way to come. Together we talked about that a little bit as a team that we've we've been through some stuff together that's actually gives us a leg up on other people that haven't if we handle it the right. Way so there's there's not one answer because every way you can think, of we're trying to create that. Dynamic i'm really proud of this Group they've made efforts in the summer to get to know each, other to get to know, everybody people from different, backgrounds different, countries and they've continued to do, that but it's it's a challenge in today's.
Speaker 4: Climate brian has another, question you're a, shooter did you win? KNOCKOUT i don't want to talk.
Speaker 3: About, that as As terry, SAID i might need to cool down BEFORE i answer that. Question but the the NO i did not day day, one which is not probably not a surprise in any of you, guys But Sean abiab was behind.
Speaker 4: Me and before the ball bounced he'd made it behind. Me so there you. Go all.
Speaker 2: Right any other audience, questions if, show if, SO t now will find. You, yes, Sir hello.
Speaker 8: COACH i know this IS uc bearcut, night BUT i just wanted to comment About miami and, secondly somebody like In miami is having great.
Speaker 4: Success does that put a lot of.
Speaker 8: Extra pressure on the, program Where, okay this is what you can, do we expect it every.
Speaker 2: Week miami, Football miami, Basketball Miami university In oxford And.
Speaker 3: Oxford, yeah oh, well congrats to those. Guys John holmes on their staff is one of my great. Friends one of the assistant coaches is there is one of my great. Friends i'm really happy that those guys are doing.
Speaker 4: Well, NO i.
Speaker 3: DON'T i don't look at it that way at, all BUT i certainly when my friends are doing, WELL i feel good for.
Speaker 4: Him that's the first THING i feel.
Speaker 3: Like, SERIOUSLY i love seeing a buddy in coaching do well and being able to shoot him a text tell them, congrats because you know what everybody's putting into.
Speaker 2: It all. Right we have a young lady who has.
Speaker 4: A, question what do you feel ice?
Speaker 2: Cream, oh, well there you. GO i know you like ice, cream so it's a legit.
Speaker 3: Question and my Girlfriend lauren over there is smiling as big as you can smile BECAUSE i have an ice cream.
Speaker 4: Problem that's my. Vice ice.
Speaker 2: Cream and you move to the right.
Speaker 3: City Great graters has BECOME i got the rewards system going At, graters but chocolate chip cookie. Dough but WHEN i go To, graters which is too, often And i'll go every after every radio, show we stop at The graters At kenwood on the way, home and every single Time lauren, says don't do. It and every TIME i pull, in BUT i get a scoop of cookie dough with scoop of cookies and cream and rainbow sprinkles every single.
Speaker 2: Time solid, order very solid. Order you, know when people Say Happy New, YEAR i remind them That Peach month is only five months. Away so that's one of the best parts about the calendar Hitting january. First all, right we're gonna take a time. Out more questions when we come back With Coach. Miller this is The West Miller Radio. Show we're live at the Original Montgomery, In home of the World's Greatest, ribs on seven HUNDRED. Wlw got a great crowd tonight here at the Original Montgomery, In home of the World's Greatest ribs and The West Miller Radio. Show we've got about six things to give away at the end of the. Show you got to be here in order to. Win got some good prizes to give away at the end of tonight's. Show all, right more questions from the. Audience fire, Away.
Speaker 9: Yeah, coach back to the portal and roster turnover. Discussion if you were named commissioner OF Ncaa, basketball what are the two or three things you would do to make sure players are equitably? Compensated but then also there's continuity with, rosters fans can follow a, player say from freshmen to sophomore to.
Speaker 2: Junior, year and that kind of. Thing best Question i've ever heard right.
Speaker 4: There, WELL i enjoy coaching so.
Speaker 3: MUCH i don't want to be the, commissioner BUT i WISH i could tell the mission or what to. Do and then WHAT i would tell them to do Is number, one we have to Be i'd have multi year. CONTRACTS i, mean this is professional. Sports we need to have professional, contracts uh where they they're tied down for, two, three four, Years so we can have and, if like, anybody they can get bought out of those, contracts like. Right but then there's the like all of us that are, professionals we signed contracts and we're bound to those.
Speaker 4: CONTRACTS i think that.
Speaker 3: Has to happen so there's continuity and we can get back to some similar to.
Speaker 4: That that that'd. Be that's the main. THING i. Think there has to be a real.
Speaker 3: Cap whatever they call a cap now that is it is completely irrelevant and non. EXISTENT i mean nothing nothing can hold up in a in a in a court of law right. Now, uh you know it's all anti trust. Stuff so you, Know i'm no. LAWYER i live with, one which is scary. Times but you know you're gonna have to collectively. Bargain AND i know that that that causes a lot of problems in other areas for other. Sports but if it's just about basketball and you, WANT i don't see another. Way i'd love it to be another. Way but you're gonna have to collectively. Bargain you're gonna have to have a real cap with real. Teeth you're gonna have to get exemptions from From congress and from the federal.
Speaker 4: Government there's already.
Speaker 3: Models they're Called Professional Sports, league and that's that's that's the only way that this thing is going to get back to being something that has some level of fairness across the. Board it's never been. Fair it's not fair in THE, nfl it's not.
Speaker 4: Fair in THE. Nba but at least the rules.
Speaker 3: Are everybody knows the, rules everybody's got to play by the, rules and we have to get back to some level of.
Speaker 2: That it's the only way you can have competitive balance in professional. Sports THE nfl has a, cap THE nba has a, cap THE nhl has a. Cap baseball doesn't have a. Cap but you are committed to your original team for your first six years of your, career and you, have you, know a tax for the teams that spend over the spending limit, essentially so there are ways to make it fair for, everybody whether you have a cap or. Not college sports doesn't have any of that right. Now it's unlimited free, agency unlimited. Spending it makes no sense.
Speaker 3: None and this is the part that you, know bothers me the most is people, say.
Speaker 4: The, kids the, kid the, kids the kids are no.
Speaker 3: Different the adults screwed this one. UP i mean, seriously, like the adults screwed this. Up the kids are just, kids and you know they're they're being now directed to do all these different things to improve their you, know like improve their personal. Situation but they're they're being directed by because adults.
Speaker 4: Changed all these.
Speaker 3: Rules they're doing what any of us would have. Done and it's it's not fair to them to blame. Them it's the adults that screwed this.
Speaker 5: Up is there a level of frustration amongst college coaches about the portal timeline opening up when the season's not.
Speaker 3: Over the truth IS i try not to get too involved in, it BUT i couldn't tell you one college coach not one that is happy with the way things, are not.
Speaker 4: One there's not one coach that, goes, oh this is.
Speaker 3: GREAT i think every single college, coach whether they'd say it publicly or, not is privately very frustrated because, again there's no Like dan, said there's no there's no rules or understanding of what the playing field. Is AND i think that's chaos and nobody likes, living you, know twelve months a year in that chaotic.
Speaker 4: Thing but, yeah the portal, THING i. DON'T i, mean what is the role this?
Speaker 3: Year Change? Terry it changes every, month, MAN i. Don't didn't they come back and do something different?
Speaker 4: Now but it's short, first but they shortened it. Again maybe that was the.
Speaker 5: First it was the second Of january to like the fourteenth or, sixteenth so it was two.
Speaker 4: WEEKS i don't.
Speaker 3: Know but they're gonna do something and then they'll do something the next. Year and who knows That this is the. Truth you, Know it used to be that the season is a it's, fun like this is fun even the tough, days it's still. Fun it's but it's a crazy, grind, right like the grind of the everyday part of the, season and that stretch used to be the most difficult time of the year mentally physically for coaches is, that you, know especially you get the conference Play january Through march and then it ends and you, GO i take a breath AND i start my spring recruiting and that kind of. Thing but you did get to take a Breath april And. May now those are the two most difficult months of the season or the of the year by one, HUNDRED i mean by one, Hundred LIKE i can't Even, yeah you're building a roster from virtually scratch every, year and every minute it's. Changing you, know like you have a big board in, recruiting and you know we all did this for. Years you have the you, know the top, guys the next, guy and you, know in a normal recruiting, cycle you, know maybe a guy slides off the board one week and then you add another guy your big, board and recruiting can change in three hours in the.
Speaker 4: Portal and that's not an.
Speaker 3: EXAGGERATION i, mean you could be recruiting somebody two days later you'd even know their. Name and that's not just, us that's everybody that's chaos and eventually it'll all figure itself.
Speaker 4: Out but it's it's, wild all.
Speaker 2: Right we do a thing on the pregame show every game Called Tea time with T neel WHERE i Hit terry with some offbeat, questions And i've had a couple recently THAT i hit him with THAT i want to hit you. With all. Right so a couple of games, ago we were talking about, coaches AND i, Asked, terry give me a couple of college basketball coaches that you would have liked to play for back in the. Day SO i know you played for the coach that would be at the top of your list In Coach, Williams but aside From Coach, roy give me a couple of coaches college basketball history that you would have loved to play.
Speaker 4: For, wow that's a heck of a. Question that it.
Speaker 2: Was cartanian was at the top of Ten l's.
Speaker 3: LIST i like that because you, Know hugs And tarcanian were. Similar huggs wouldn't have liked. ME i wouldn't have wasn't this type of guy as a. Player, now Tom izzo sticks out to. Me i'd like to play for Tom. IZZO i was on A it's funny recruiting.
Speaker 4: The summer In. JULY i was out Somewhere.
Speaker 3: LAGOON i don't, know some tournament Didas national tournament was out in Like Laguna beach or. SOMETHING i, mean how the heck can they get through? That but, anyway so there's a red eye from Like John Wayne, airport which is Like Orange, COUNTY i, think To atlanta because THE Nike finals is In, Augusta. Georgia so you watch games UNTIL i don't know the last the last game you can watch to go catch this red. Eye you watch like the eight o'clock, game and then you drive To John wayne AND i get on the red eye And i'm about to lay back and go to, sleep and the next guy that comes Is Tom izzo and sits beside, me And i'm, GOING i was starting to feel bad myself a little bit, Here i'm gonna take a red.
Speaker 4: Eye i'm gonna land In. Atlanta i'm gonna drive to august And.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna get at the nine o'clock game In, Augusta, georgia And i'm Going i'm tougher and, EVERYBODY i, mean nobody else is doing. THIS i don't know how Old tom Is tho, is But i'm, like, damn that's something.
Speaker 4: Else you know.
Speaker 3: That BUT i respect from a, distance AND i don't know. Him we talked the whole, flight SO i didn't sleep at, all BUT i respect from a distance how hard he works at, it how tough his teams. Play AND i you know that that was the GUY i played. FOR i could play for a guy Like so that just off the top of my. Head But i'm sure there's quite a.
Speaker 5: Few our sports information director who bears all the gifts and, Tickets, uh just text me the date of the. Portal it Opens april seventh through the twenty first this, Year so those two weeks seventh to the twenty, first and the last year we were in The Crown tournament and The portland opened up while the teams are still, playing WHICH i just think it's just it's, like finish the job. Before you wouldn't have The kiffin situation right. Now if no coach could talk until football season was, over you wouldn't have the issues that you have in. Sports and we.
Speaker 3: Could we could make the commissioner a lot of people and they'd get a lot better real.
Speaker 4: Quick terror you could be the. Commissioner we get it.
Speaker 2: Fixed you, know it would be nice if there was a. COMMISSIONER i mean that Was the question was if you were the. Commissioner there isn't a. Commissioner be nice if there was somebody that that was overseeing the, sport that was actually trying to.
Speaker 4: Fix Nick saban would be for.
Speaker 2: FOOTBALL i like that. Idea all, right here's another tea time For temael. Question this was from the last. Game there's a statue Of oscar outside our. Arena there's a statue Of Jerry west outside of The West Virginia. Arena could those guys have played? Today of, course come, on come, on let athleticism some people don't think they.
Speaker 3: COULD i Mean Oscar robertson's was ahead of his time. ATHLETICALLY i mean triple double, averaged, big big physical. GUARD i, mean imagine if they did the way they don't call fouls now in THE, NBA.
Speaker 4: I mean do whatever you, can dribble the ball wherever you, want or the way they do call.
Speaker 3: FOWLS i, say, like imagine a guy Like Oscar, robertson he could get.
Speaker 4: To any spot he wanted on the. Floor he'd be.
Speaker 3: Incredible That the argument about like MY mj and all this not having to play against today's players is. Hilarious if you played guys Like oscar if the rules were they were in the league when they, played they'd be even, better you, know and so and Then Jerry west is one of the greatest shooters that ever. Lived and shooting, shooting, shooting. Shooting there's been some guys that played in THE nba that. COULDN'T i, mean you AND i are more athletic than they are now, recently but they could then they shooted it such a crazy clip they get on AN nba. Floor So Jerry west would have been just, fine all.
Speaker 2: Right terry, agreed by the, Way terry thought that those guys could could. Play all, right here's the next. Question at what point at how bad would a modern player have to be to attempt The Rick berry underhand granny style free? Throw have you?
Speaker 3: Ever have you, seriously have you guys ever listened to the Podcast malcolm Glad we'll had a Podcast Revisionist, history like season. One it's one of the first ones he ever did in season one on this like very famous podcast he, had and he talks about it's. Fascinating everybody should. Listen but to, me it's about the. Result But Wilt chamberlain stopped doing it.
Speaker 2: Correct because in the hundred point. Game he shot granny style and made a good, percentage and then he was so embarrassed and so many people mocked him that he stopped doing it and was a horrific free throw shooter for the rest of his Care.
Speaker 5: He even tried duncan from the free throw line until they put the so you can't go outside the.
Speaker 2: Circle, yeah take a running. Step, yes they tell you cannot leave the.
Speaker 5: Circle an he wore because he would go and finger roll it as long as his feet didn't touch the grammar for the ball went to the. Basket he did that a couple of, times and then that looked.
Speaker 3: Crazy Rick barry's son played in college. BASKETBALL i don't know at some points Since i've been in coach and he shot on her hand and shot A d SO i, think, uh his youngest. SON i think his name Was. Canyon but, shoot if it goes, in shoot. IT i, Mean I'm i'd be all. For maybe we should try it with the.
Speaker 5: Couplers have you ever seen the Movie This Is Way Before Your?
Speaker 4: Time the fish that Say pitchbird With doctor. J, Yes.
Speaker 5: So they had a guy on the team that is he was the background of the of the movie his name was Set. Shot he only got in the game to take the charge and get ran over and then he would make a free throw to win the. Game but he never got in the, game and it was like one possession game and the coach would, say, okay you know what you gotta, do go let and run you, over and he would get ran, over kicking the, chest need hit his head and then you, know the music was coming down to the camera was. Slow he would wipe off the, sweat get to the free thom line and he'd be the star of the. Game do you think that you would ever put a guy in the game in a situation that he didn't touch the floor all game just to come in and get fired to make a free throw at the end of a situation if he wasn't.
Speaker 4: Warm IF i thought it would, Work i'd do.
Speaker 3: It if there was ANYTHING i thought would, Work i'd do it for. Sure IF i thought it made, Sense i'd do it if it would help us. WIN i don't. Know IF i don't, know IF i believe in that one be a pretty special guy to sit over there the whole game coming. In what's your take on.
Speaker 5: Guys PLAYING nba or getting drafted by THE nba and coming back to college if they don't you know the rules of.
Speaker 2: It SO.
Speaker 4: I don't. Know, AGAIN i think IT'S i think it's.
Speaker 3: Absurd you, Know i'm not knocking anybody that does, it because everybody's trying to find every single. Edge we, listen we'd take that same edge if we were if we were first to think of. THAT i, mean BUT i think it's. Absurd we have to have, rules and if that miss a rule that we all know, about then't. Great BUT i think this stuff that just pops up all the time is.
Speaker 2: Absurd all. Right on that, note we're gonna wrap things up. Again we've got a bunch of stuff to give away here momentarily to the people who came out to the. Show greatly appreciated. Tonight if you've been listening on the, radio thanks for tuning. In we got The bearcats coming up AT Ucf sunday at five. O'clock our radio coverage will start at four thirty On sunday until. Then For tmail And Coach, Miller I'm Dan. Horde thanks for listening to The West Miller Radio, SHOW A News radio seven HUNDRED. Wlw thanks, guys