Speaker 1: Forget about the twenty six Dodgers. We care about a man that left it all on the field for the Dodgers from the moment he was traded here in June of twenty sixteen until the night that the Dodgers say goodbye to Chris Taylor in twenty twenty four. A man that was the co NLCS MVP in twenty seventeen. A man that made one of the greatest catches in NLCS history in twenty eighteen. A man that was an All Star in twenty twenty one and had a walk off wild card home run for the Dodgers. That is the one and only fan favorite CT three, Chris Taylor. Chris, thanks a lot for coming on the show and congratulations on a great career.
Speaker 2: Thanks Versa. That's a very nice intro. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Hey, I wish I could go on and on, Chris, But I mean, the fans certainly have showed their outpouring of support for you. Were you surprised that you got as much attention as you did about your retirement? Uh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Honestly, the way it all went down was kind of strange. I didn't I wasn't anticipating making it public, and then it ended up getting leaked, I guess, and then and then people thought I was unretiring, and it was like kind of embarrassing. So then I was like, Okay, now I have to say something. But no, it was all fine. It was It was cool after I made the post or after it came out, seeing all the support. I got a lot of very nice texts, and yeah, it's cool to uh to see all the love, especially from Dodgers stands obviously playing almost ten years with them and you know, still I still think they're the best fans in baseball, and yeah, it's it always feels good to know that you were appreciated.
Speaker 1: So there was no retiring unretiring. It was just some members of the media jumping the gun a little bit too fast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of a weird way it happened. I mean, long story short, I kind of told I was at the fault like these at the time, I kind of told them that I was done. I got hit by a pitch and fractured my arm. First. I don't think a lot of people know that, but I told them that I was going to probably that's it for me. I'm going to go home with my family and then so I, you know, signed the papers and I think it was voluntary retirement. And then so that was the transaction, and that got released right away. And then when we had it switched to the IL, you know, just to try to keep it under wraps a little bit, but it was too late at that point. And then when I got switched, people thought I unretired and was coming back. It was very strange.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I know you don't love attention, and it's never and it never has been about you, but I feel like you never really fully understood how much you meant to your teammates into your fans. Do you understand that a little bit more now? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean I always knew the Dogger fans are always great. They were always very supportive, and I always felt loved there. You know, obviously I had some tough years towards the end, but you know, I always felt like the fans. You know, there's always going to be some a mix of especially when you're struggling, but I felt like the the there was plenty of loyal doctor fans that still supported me even through my struggles, and I really appreciated that.
Speaker 1: No doubt, they always will when you look back at your career. I don't know if you've had a chance to reflect. Have you had a chance to reflect on your career? Is it still too soon?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's still kind of like I don't think it's fully hit me, you know. Right now, I'm just like kind of enjoying being home. I was away from my family for two months, you know, which was really tough in and Salt Lake, Utah. And my family was here in Manhattan Beach. I was flying back home every Sunday night after our games for our off day on Monday, and then meeting back up with a team on Tuesday, and you know, just to try to be here as much a I could with them while I was playing in Triple A. And that was just a really tough two months stretch. And for me obviously being away, and then for my family and my wife kind of basically be in a single mom for two months, I was a grind. And so now I'm just kind of enjoying being a full time dad, stay at home dad, spending time with my family. We're going to do some things we've never gotten an opportunity to do. We're going to do some traveling and uh yeah, so I don't think I've really fully reflected on it. But when the news of the retirement came out, you know, I saw the love and support, so that was really cool.
Speaker 1: Chris Taylor is our guest, a man that will never be forgotten in Dodger history. And can you believe that Dodgers are in Pittsburgh right now? Chris? And what do you remember remember about your first day in Pittsburgh wearing a Dodger uniform?
Speaker 2: That was my first game as a Dodger. I think it was yeah, yeah, very cool. I think I remember coming to the Dodgers and expecting to be way more nervous and than I was with the Mariners, just because it's the Dodgers. You know, It's like bigger stage, more fans, more publicity, higher expectation, all of the above. And it was funny when I got there and stepped into the clubhouse. And I think that's part of what makes the Dodgers so good was I wasn't very nervous at all. I was very comfortable. They do a great job of like letting all their players know like, you're here for a reason, we want you to be the best version of yourself and there's no fear of failure. I feel like there's no hesitation. They want you to play aggressive, and you know, I felt that, and I thought that was a big reason. It kind of brought out the best in me, where in the past I might have put too much pressure on myself, or prior to that, I might have put too much pressure on myself and played a little nervous or whatever it is, which would be common for many young players in the big leagues. And I think the doctors do a great job of letting their young guys specifically be comfortable in their own skin and do what got them there.
Speaker 1: Chris, I never asked you this, since we were always in the moment, and I didn't never wanted to put you on the spot more than I than I did. But you had a lot of close team mates, a lot of great teammates. Uh what bonds did you form with those guys? And how how close are you still with the guys from that played with you from twenty seventeen to like twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, extremely close. I think those those years you just mentioned, you know, those are some of my that core group of guys, those are some of my best friends. Those are probably. Uh, to me, my closest teammates and guys that I keep in touch with, you know, guys that were at my wedding. You know, my wife is great friends with their wives. So yeah, it's uh, it was a very close group, and you know that that's not gonna change now that I'm done playing.
Speaker 1: Did Cory Seger text you. I heard he's not a very good Texter.
Speaker 2: Me and Corey are both very similar in that way, But he did, he did send me attack.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my dream is one day to have a reunion with the twenty seventeen Dodgers for obvious reasons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a that was a special group. I still think that might have been the best team I ever played on, even though we never won.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you guys were You guys were on another level that year. And do you remember the feeling you had when you hit that lead off home run in Game one of the World Series at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 2: Uh kind of. I've always said, like those big moments for me, I sort of blackout. But I think there was definitely some shock. You know, that entire year was a bit of a shock for me to go from what I had where I was before for that, and then you know how the best year of my career and the biggest moments sign the World Series and LCS MVP is just like all these things. It didn't it felt very surreal.
Speaker 1: You know, it's weird, I you know how nostalgic I get, but rightfully so. You had so many great moments. The team gave us so many great moments that Dodger fans hadn't had in so many years. The team was just in Milwaukee, and no, I'm not talking about the slide.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 1: I was looking at the leftfield wall, Cetea, and I was just envisioning you taking that route to catch that fly ball in Game seven of the eighteen NLCS. That's the only thing I think about when I go to Milwaukee.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that I mean definitely maybe my biggest probably definitely my biggest defensive moment of my career. And just I think as a player, when you look back at everything, those moments, moments like that at the biggest stage, you know, that's why you play the game. That's that's what you do it for. All the hard work, all the failure, like all the the low points, that's all worth it because of moments like that.
Speaker 1: My other memory of view CT is after you hit the walk off home run against the Cardinals in the twenty one wildcard game. If you fast forward after the NLDS and beating the Giants, at some point we were flying back to Atlanta maybe for Game six, and you were sitting in one of those first class seats and you were you just look really really drained, like you had given everything at that point in time for one hundred and six win team. It just seemed like such a grind for you guys to get to the NLCS and to try to win that thing.
Speaker 2: Don't remember the moment you're talking about, but I've had, I know, I mean, as I'm sure it's true the flights in the playoffs, and I think a lot of players can speak to this. Your body is so worn down, your mind is worn down, like because you're just so drained, because you give everything you can in those games and a lot of them are long games. And yeah, so it doesn't surprise me at all. I know in a lot of those flights, I am like, there's no way I'm gonna be able to play tomorrow or the next day or whatever it is. But of course those players you know, we kind of figure it out and find a way and are we bounce back quickly. But yeah, some of those flights in the postseason, guys are limping on and off that plane. It's it's no joke, hey, Chris.
Speaker 1: Is that what makes what the Dodgers have done the last two years that much more incredible? With everything that you just said, the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Are, Yeah, it's hard that baseball. It's so hard to go back to back because I feel like very rarely does the best team actually win the World Series in baseball. It's just like so much of it is who gets hot at the right time. And then also the fashion in which they did it last year the probably the best World Series I've ever seen in my lifetime. So yeah, that was a special World Series for them, for sure. That was pretty incredible.
Speaker 1: All right, Chris, We appreciate you coming on, and I love that I am sharing you with the fans because everybody appreciates how you left it all out on the and you do such great things still to this day. I mean I just saw a photo of you showing up unexpectedly to surprise little leaguers, and you and Mary do such a great job with the CT three Foundation. I have no doubt that's going to continue, and I'm just very grateful how humble you've been through your great time with the Dodgers. You've treated me like family, You've treated my kids like family, and I feel like LA will forever treat you like family because of everything that you've done and the spirit you've done it with so on behalf of Los Angeles and Dodger fans from the South Bay to Downey to the San Fernando Valley, just thank you for everything you did and the way you went about it.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Vesa, and this feeling really as mutual. I have a love for the Dodgers and all of Los Angeles County. This is obviously my home now here in Manhattan, and yeah, I'm very grateful for all of this love and support.
Speaker 1: If you ever need tickets to a game, let me know CT.
Speaker 2: I.
Speaker 1: Well, well, keep in touch. Thanks for doing this, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, thanks for having me on