Speaker 1: Out an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk. All right, we're joined right now by a four time, four time World Series champion, six time gold glover and MVP. And when you see that smile right there, whether he's zero for five or five for five, mothers across America love Mookie Bets. Thanks a lot for the time, appreciate.
Speaker 2: It, of course, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Bro Hey, I saw a great scene that people would pay a million dollars to see and listen to two of the giants of this game, Mike Trout and Mookie Bets having a conversation behind the cage earlier today. How much respect do you have for Trout? How much mutual respect is there between you two?
Speaker 3: I think a lot, you know, I think obviously we've been playing against each other for a long time and we just became boys, you know, just from playing against each other, and you know, we kind of both went through through our struggles and whatnot, and we we text and we talk. We try and help each other through it, you know, just sharing knowledge and whatnot. So, uh, like I said, we've become friends. And you know, every time I see him, I always get to talk to him and whatnot. So yeah, it was just just good friends catching up.
Speaker 1: That's next level friendship if you're texting going through a baseball season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, for sure, you know, but I think that's just uh, I think playing the WBC and obviously playing the years been playing in the WBC, really getting to take the field together, I think we got a lot closer and you know, we.
Speaker 2: Just, uh, we've just been boys.
Speaker 1: Is that the best thing about the World Baseball Classic being teammates among some of your peers that are on the same level.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I would say so.
Speaker 3: And really just getting to uh to take the field with different guys, you know, I know kind of how it works in this clubhouse. Have been taking the field with these guys for a long time, but you never really get to see, uh the inner workings of you know, Mike Trout or Aaron Judges or whoever else, right, And so I'm really getting to take the field and see their mindset see there every day.
Speaker 2: Is uh something that you know you'll never forget?
Speaker 1: Is there something you found out about Mike Trout being teammates on the WBC team us say that you didn't know about him before.
Speaker 2: I mean just that. I mean it sounds weird. It's just he's a normal dude.
Speaker 3: You know, he's a normal dude with the superpower that he uses his full advantage.
Speaker 2: And uh, I mean other than that, you know, he's super cool.
Speaker 3: Down to earth.
Speaker 2: I mean, he'll talk to you about anything. Uh.
Speaker 3: And and really just his appreciation for the game, you know, his appreciation for being able to.
Speaker 2: Take the field and play the game that he loves. It really really got the show.
Speaker 1: In the NBA. You always hear guys talk about Rings to other guys that don't have as many. I mean, people still get on Berkley to this day for not having any. So you've got four. Do you ever use that to your advantage when you're in conversations with guys in the WBC?
Speaker 2: Nah?
Speaker 3: No, I mean, uh, he's accomplished a lot more than I have, so I can't really say a whole lot. And you know, Rings is definitely a team awards, so it kind of takes takes everyone. But for him, he's got so many individual awards, it's not much you can really say, you know, to him and really everyone else who really takes part in the WBC.
Speaker 1: Mike Trout, it's got four hundred home runs, but Mookie BET's got four rings. I would say that Trump's everything, And you know, I think that's one thing that people forget about you.
Speaker 2: Mookie.
Speaker 1: You got to the Dodgers in twenty twenty, and since then, the dodgress have won three World Series Championships. How much pride do you take in that because I know that was the goal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, take a lot of pride.
Speaker 3: Take a lot of pride in that because that's the that's the reason why we play. Obviously, I would love to be doing a lot better individually, but you know that's It's not from lack of effort, for sure. But I know, I know when it comes down to winning and playing team ball, I'm always there. I'm always ready to go for that, and I do everything I can to help the boys win, whether it's you know, just talking to someone or you know, stuff in the in the clubhouse and you know, on the field, whatever whatever it kind of takes.
Speaker 2: And so I take pride in trying to help.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yesterday I saw during stretch you and ta Oscar Hernandez giving Dalton Rushing some big brother love. Do you feel like he needs that? And why did you do you feel like you can take him under your wings and show him, you know, just how to be able to keep emotions in check.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I definitely think I think everyone needs it. You know, I needed it, you know, especially being a young a young guy in the big leagues.
Speaker 2: And I mean everybody needs.
Speaker 3: Some type of leadership because you just don't know, you don't know what you don't know. And obviously we're learning a lot of things ourselves as.
Speaker 2: We continue to to go. But there's a lot of.
Speaker 3: A lot of knowledge that we have, and you know, Russia is the next wave, and so now it's our time to kind of pass pass our knowledge and pass how we have become successful.
Speaker 2: And he's he's been there to listen.
Speaker 3: Obviously it's gonna take a little work and whatnot, but uh, you know, it's nothing that we all can't handle.
Speaker 1: I remember and still we see it whenever you're in the World Series and big poppies on the desk. He was your big brother coming up. What's the one piece of advice that he gave you that you pay forward, you.
Speaker 3: Know, really really just to trust myself, believing yourself and good good self, good good positive self talk. You know, he never he never talked talked to himself negatively. And you know, things haven't been going too great for me here recently, so I have to figure out how to give myself talk better. But that that's one thing that he always preaches, like, you know, trusting yourself, believing yourself and be good to yourself and uh things, whether they go good or bad, you have to do those.
Speaker 2: Things, you know.
Speaker 3: And you know, I'm, like I said, I'm not perfect. I'm gonna work in progress with it. But that's just what I'm try and try and teach the young guys.
Speaker 2: That's beautiful.
Speaker 1: And I feel like your season just started three games ago, so this is a restart to your year reboot.
Speaker 3: I feel like, yeah, I feel like, you know, being off that for that time. You know, need a little little bit to get going. So hopefully I can get it going here soon. You know, I just have to keep playing and find some type of rhythm.
Speaker 1: Well, we believe in you, MOOKI. Your work speaks for itself. People doubted you. You conn't play shortstop. You turned the World Series ending double play, You're on your way to a gold glove, you were on your way to another MVP. So I'm still holding out hope. David Price says, you have one more three homer game in you, and I'm still I'm not retiring until you get it, Mooky, all right.
Speaker 2: I won't either. Make sure we give me one more.
Speaker 1: Thanks a lot for stopping and great to see you and always great to see you smile. And don't forget your Mooky freaking bets.
Speaker 2: Thanks bet,