Speaker 1: Good morning, Welcome to the Big Outdoors News Radio seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati, home of the best Bengals coverage. Chip Hart with you this morning, and Director Mary Mertz, Ohio Department and Natural Resources. How in the world are you on his fantastic Saturday morning here in Ohio.
Speaker 2: I am great, Yeah, ready to go.
Speaker 1: Well, good good. It's great to have you with us. I know it's been a couple of years. First things, First, your leadership conference. I was just flattered to be invited to that, which was attended by all of your division chiefs, and I thought that well, of course it was a panel on I guess media relations and all that, and I was one of the panelists, and as was Chez. I can't remember his last name, but he is the executive director of the excuse Me Outdoor Writers of America. So I found that your group were very good students, including yourself.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, we love to hear from you all because I think no one has a singer better on the pulse of what people are interested in, what they care about, what the trends are. Because I know you hear from your listeners all the time, and so kind of seeing it through.
Speaker 3: Your eyes is an important part of what we want to do.
Speaker 1: Well, I tell you what, I was flattered, and I did have the ability to set up a couple of future interviews, like with Division of Forestry, Oil and Gas Leasing, and let's see, I have had Glenn from State Parks before. Of shoot, there there was another one. Oh yeah, Ohio Geological Survey. So I was flattered. And secondly, I was also flattered to have an invitation for the premiere showing of Wild at Heart, which is the big screen presentation on Ohio's Outdoors. So that that last week was fantastic as well. So for listeners, could you give them give them an overview of what this is all about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we are super excited about this IMAX movie that we are sharing with the public just now. So it's a forty five minute you know, I'm ax in you like you would typically see museum centers across the nation, and it shows all that's beautiful in overios outdoors. It shares some really important conservation stories and makes the point that when we are intentional and thoughtful about conservation, we can be successful, you know, as in the case with eagles or trumpeter swans or Bobcats. There are many other examples, but those are a few we chose the future in the movie. It tells a lot about what you can do outdoors in Ohio, mountain biking and kayaking and I sing and you know, all sorts of recreational sports. But really the message we want to share is twofold that we should all work together to restore nature because nature restores us. It's good for physical well being or it's good.
Speaker 3: For our soul.
Speaker 2: Right, So that's kind of a message, and we want to tell that message because you know, especially.
Speaker 3: For young people, we want them to be future conservationists. We want them to.
Speaker 2: Help us preserve this incredible, wonderful, magical Ohio landscape for future generations.
Speaker 3: Also, we're trying to accomplish with it. And it's I hope you, I hope, I hope you thought it.
Speaker 2: Was beautiful as well.
Speaker 1: Oh I did. And I've really had no preconceived notion of what it was going to be about, because being a native Ohio and and spending practically my whole life and every day of the week outside, you know, whether it's farming or working on the farm, or fishing or hunting, you know, they're they're across Ohio. There really is a hell of a lot, you know, We're not you know, we're not at Kentucky or West Virginia with you know, the kinds that kind of a resource. It's completely different. So I came into it with a pretty open mind. But then, you know, by the time we got fifteen minutes into it, I really felt that it was you know, it was directed at people that maybe don't get those experiences, you know, on a regular basis, and with all of your IMAX theaters around Ohio and like other states, they get a great you know, just a phenomenal number of kids, you know, with families or student groups. So I think that you know that that was I guess intentional, you know.
Speaker 4: Also yeah, so I mean, it's going to be playing at the Sitement Museum Center, the Boon Shops in Dayton, it's going to be at the Tweedo Imagination Station, it's going to be at the Cleveland Museum Center, and it's a number of a mcp from the state.
Speaker 3: But eventually, probably next.
Speaker 2: Spring, we're going to provide the videos to costumes and schools across the state. In the meanwhile, they can take their classes to the these gym centers. But we have an education guide on our website that teachers can use.
Speaker 1: Well that's well, lead you hold that thought, just sit tight, because we've got to pay some bills around here. My guest is Department of Natural Resources Director Mary Mertz chip Hart The Big Outdoors News Radio, seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: Mister Penney, we have a long road ahead of us.
Speaker 1: His Ryan Thomas, Hey, we're back The Big Outdoors News Radio, seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati, home of the best beangles covered Chippart. My guest is Ohio Department and Natural Resources Director Mary Mertz, who is going into let's see, is it seven years now? Mary, I'm thinking.
Speaker 3: Yes, it is. Okay your leading the department?
Speaker 1: Well, great man. Next year, of course, you know we'll have, you know, have a change in the governorship and all that, and I'm gosh, have you considered sticking around?
Speaker 2: Well, I think that's not up to me. Does That's up to the new governor. But you know, I think every governor comes in with their their agenda and their hopes and dreams, and they find the team that can execute for them. I know that was the case with myself and governor the wine.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 2: You know, he is a conservationist, a hurt and he constantly challenges us to do better and and you know importantly.
Speaker 3: Provides the resources we need to do the work.
Speaker 2: And I hope that happens with the next administration.
Speaker 1: Well I do too. I think it's up to people like us and my listeners and those are you know, the sportsmen and every other walk of life that loves the outdoors in Ohio. It's really becomes their responsibility to ensure that, uh that you know that everything continues in the best Your shoes are going to be huge to film. That's all I'm going to say.
Speaker 2: Well, we've had we've had a lot of fun and a lot of opportunity, and I think, uh, I think we at least some some great legacies behind. But I'm it's more, I'm sure the next Grip's.
Speaker 3: Going to do this as well.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm sure we're going to make sure that. So back to Wild at Heart, which is how long will that run in the theaters and at Imax in total?
Speaker 2: I mean or just right so, but it has to do with viewership, right, So it's really in the hands of the museum centers in the theaters now to see.
Speaker 3: Who shows up to watch it, Okay.
Speaker 2: And in your so they will get to make those decisions, right. So, so the movie was our gifts to them, and and they will run it as long as they can get great viewerships.
Speaker 3: Ok you know, I hope a long time.
Speaker 1: Well good, And of course you're coming into the holiday season, and of course the weather change seeing which means usually visitation at the indoor museums will typically trenned up. So I think that timing is timing couldn't be better, right.
Speaker 2: The Thanksgiving, the Christmas holidays traditionally are really high seasons for all these folks. So so you know, we think it's going to get some great viewership and then by the time it has the schools in the spring, they'll be ready.
Speaker 1: To do some more work on fantastic. Now, whose idea was it to grab Archie Grip and to narrate it? I had not I had not heard that name in quite a long time. And of course the stand out at Ohio State.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so a Governor's Arne and Lieutenant Governor Jim Trussell book cut up. They you know, we were we were looking all around the state thinking you are famous Ohioans who can really bring some authenticity. People will recognize the voice in the name and it'll be meaningful.
Speaker 3: And they took that up.
Speaker 2: So they called Archie Griffin and he agreed to do it. And you know, I had the opportunity to sit in the sound group as he was recording a lot of it and what a what a great individual, what a phenomenal individual.
Speaker 3: And he did a great job. So I think I think people will connect with him.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it.
Speaker 2: Was.
Speaker 1: It was a great fit. He's got a great voice and although I hadn't heard it for a while. So next, what was the impetus for the for the film? How did it come about? Because the Department nor any of the divisions that I can recall, have ever done, you know, a feature film like that unless it's back on the archives.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know if there's her future film. Well, of course, you remember Wildlife used to have a show every.
Speaker 3: Really yeah, but I still see that on TV now.
Speaker 2: But you know, I really was back in twenty nineteen when we were thinking how can we be as creative and innovative and to fill the governor's you know, mandate to.
Speaker 3: Find a great way to reach people.
Speaker 2: We made a long list of all our dream items, and I'm really pleased it in seven years for really seeing.
Speaker 3: A lot them come true. So this was a long time in the making. It was on an idea list.
Speaker 2: Back in twenty nineteen, and it took, you know a number of years to figure out how to get it done. At the end of the day, it was only.
Speaker 3: About a year and a half of filming.
Speaker 2: So the actual making of it was a you know, around a little bit less than two years, but the.
Speaker 3: Idea germinated for a long time, surefer.
Speaker 1: Well, and you had to capture all the seasons of Ohio because you know, the landscape changes obviously, and you're doing different things. I thought the ice fishing piece was I thought that was great. I mean, that was brilliant.
Speaker 3: That's one of my favorites.
Speaker 2: And the whole thing, I fucking John is going to go on to be a movie star thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's one of my favorite scenes of Calvie and.
Speaker 1: He was smoking a cigar. That was great, you know, but don't Grandpa's they do that. So director merg sit tight. We'll be back with more of the Big Outdoors. News Radio seven hundred WLW Cincinnati back at the moment, and we're back the big out Doors News Radio seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati Chip Park. My guest is Director Mary Merch, so high a Department of Natural Resources, and of course stick around and catch the big one all day long. It's gonna be a heck of a great day. Gary Jeff's up after the bottom of the hour news and a legend in his own mind. Yes, thanks, Danny, I appreciate he'll appreciate that. And then Michael k Allen and the ramps and raves aforementioned of his life all week long, and we got sports Ken prew everything everything and of courses at a bye week for the Cincinnati Bangals. There back following Sunday. So I got it right, even though I'm not a sports turbil. What do you think, Danny? Is that good?
Speaker 3: That was good?
Speaker 1: Impressed? Even Gary Jeff would be he will be impressed. Director Merch. Let's switch gears here and talk about H two Ohio, which was the dream of Governor Dewines. And that continues. But I understand there was a funding cut. How will the projects be affected?
Speaker 3: Great? So there was a funding cut in the.
Speaker 2: Budget approved by the General Assembly, in June, and so you know, we've been.
Speaker 3: Figuring out how to deal with that because we know this work is incredibly important. So we've we've done a few things.
Speaker 2: You know, first is make sure as always that were absolutely efficient with every dollarded granted ours and so you know, we're making good decisions on what projects we're going to do. We've also been out trying to work with the private sector. So there are you know a handful of companies that are very interested in helping us plane up.
Speaker 3: Ohio's waterways, and so we've.
Speaker 2: Worked with them on private sector brands and that's very helpful to make.
Speaker 3: The money go further. We've also the Ohio Water.
Speaker 2: Development Authority has decided yet I think partly because of the budget cuts, to help us more substantially with some grants. So at the end of the day, we're still going to see a lot of progress.
Speaker 3: But but yeah, there.
Speaker 2: Wasn't cut and we'll just see the best we can look every dollar we out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Now, will h to Ohio continue into the next administration or is it something that that is uh? I guess, you know, at the desire of the governor or the department.
Speaker 2: Well, I think we hope it will continue into the next administration, and certainly I will tell you many of the projects we've kicked off, they will by necessity, right, These are big construction projects that take two to three years to complete, so anything we start won't finish into the next administration. Yeah, I think, you know, there have been conversations.
Speaker 3: I don't know where we'll.
Speaker 2: Go if if if folks will consider a bond of issue, you know, an environmental water bond issue. That's a possibility that's under discussion, and I don't know where that'll go or where that's will stand yet, but you know, that is an option and an opportunity. So I think there's a lot of conversation about how we continue this program because.
Speaker 3: It is very popular, a lot of support. I think it's a great control.
Speaker 1: High Well, yeah, I agree with you one hundred percent. And of course I think it's up to our listeners and a sportsman and all the organizations out there, while Farm Bureau, you know, uh, just a lot of different entities to to you know, I guess help see that does continue, uh, you know, as far out as we could possibly make it. So what is uh, what's left on Director Mergencys place through the next year. What what what big thing? Or are you on maintenance?
Speaker 3: Oh no, we're not allowed to be on maintenance.
Speaker 2: We are We're full speed through the finish line. So so it's ohio for that's a priority. How do we how do we try to make that permanent? How do we do the best show we can with the dollars we have? So that's a huge amount of time. We still have a number of large construction projects in our parks and wildlife portfolio. So you know, we're building a big visitor center around at Appalachian Hill's wildlife area and that comes along with some cabins and an upgraded campground. So I'm looking forward to opening that next spring. So so that'll all become a reality next spring, as well as other construction projects around the state. So you know we're a very infrastructure heavy group. Yes, yeah, that infrastructure they can need to to maintain your conservation places.
Speaker 3: So those are those are a couple of the big things.
Speaker 1: Well, and and I again agree one hundred percent, and I don't always agree with the division of waterlife hundred percent, but ninety five is a pretty good target. Okay, So well, I appreciate your time this morning and to catch up and to see all the great things happening, and you know Watson Store down the road. So director Mertch, thank you very.
Speaker 2: Much, appreciate the opportunity.
Speaker 1: Okay, with that, we're going to hit a break and back for a couple of minutes The Big Outdoors News Radio seven hundred w LW, Cincinnati, the home of the best Bengals coverage. You they We're back the Big Outdoors News Radio seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati, Chip hard with you to the bottom of the hour when the news happens and Gary, Jeff and uh well the guy with for two first names is how I refer to it. That's right, mister Walker. That's right. Yeah, I like his nightcap show. Okay, week some during the week if I can manage to stay yeah, anyhow, I can't anyhow to recap, According to director March, you will be able to see the Wild Ohio film at various IMAX theaters from Toledo, Dayton, Cincinnati, Cleveland and let's see where else to do. I think I got them all anyway, and in theaters around Ohio, so that'd be cool. And Pheasants are releasing or will be released beginning October twenty fifth selected wildlife areas around the state. They're talking about fourteen thousand ringneck pheasants. This is a shoot neat thing people, that's what they're there. Okay, shoot them, take them home and eat them. Okay, this is not it's not catching release Okay. That's for fishing. And Houston Woods has certain areas open for hunting now through February twenty eighth, and if you just pull that up online, you can look at their pretty little map with colored areas where you could hunt and or need a special permit. So I didn't even know about that, so that's kind of cool. Well that means I gotta get out of here. Thank you. I'm ready to go with that. I'm out of here. Gary Jeff is next The Big Outdoors News Radio seven hundred WLW Cincinnati be Safe in the Woods and Safe on the Water for Security Awareness Month, and LifeLock is here with tips to help