Speaker 1: Do you want to be an a mag.
Speaker 2: Here we go Friday Morning Scott Flunk Show, seven hundred WLW. Before we get into the fun stuff on Friday Morning's Joys, dude, we've got business to take care of, including this. The City of Cincinnati's extending its contract with the law firm here their independent Council Frost Brown Todd to review the effectiveness of leadership within the Cincinnati Police Department of what. You may recall that Chief Terry Fiji was suspended, not fired, suspended back in October, and so they're going to do an investigation. The city is and I guess we have more investigating because the contrast was extended till the twenty eighth. Of course that's tomorrow. They said we still need more time, so we're going to give you another month. And the problem with this is its costing taxpayer is more of the third round, I guess is out the house. It was nine thousand dollars to the extended play to tomorrow, and so you're talking close to fifty grand what's all said and done, and again we have the issue here is you fired someone in chief, Terry Thiji, and now you need months to figure out why you fired her in the first place. FOP President Ken Kober, welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: How are you, brother, Hey Scott, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so forty nine k Diji's still on paid administrative leave. She's still getting paid her two hundred and three thousand dollars salary. I don't know if Henny got a bump. I'd imagine he was as interim chief. This is costing a ton of money.
Speaker 3: Sure it is. Not only is it costing the taxpayers a lot of money, there's a lot of uncertainty right now in the police department. It's something that the men and women of this department are owed to know who's going to be in charge of this place and who's going to be in charge permanently. And the longer they drag it along, the more uncertain it is of what's really going on.
Speaker 2: And at what point does the investigation stop being to search for answers and clause and start being a way to keep Fiji and Limbo indefinitely. I mean, if it were clear cut, and typically when you get fired four clause, there's something that triggers that in your contract.
Speaker 1: It's obvious, and yet it's taking.
Speaker 2: October November December jan If everyone we've got five months of investigation and they still can't find out why, what the hell's taken us along?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's a million dollar question. You think that if you had just caused to fire somebody, it would be so blatantly obvious to everybody to see that this is why this is happening, and it's just not there. They can't find anything. That's that's the whole problem with this. It's nothing but a big scam to get rid of her, and now they don't know what to do.
Speaker 2: Does this undermine Adam Henny at this point? Because from those I talked to outside of you, he seems like a good guy and he's certainly qualified to be chief of the City of Cincinnati. But this whole thing is you mentioned he alluded to Ken. It doesn't make his job easier. There's only so much he can do because he's in orim. He doesn't have the full title. Yet it undermines his authority and his ability to function, and therefore it undermines the mission of cpd.
Speaker 3: Oh without a doubt, you know, because like I said, with him being just an interim, you're right, there's there's permanent decisions that typically aren't made. You have an interim chief. You know, it's not fair to him what's going on. It's not fair to Chief FIGI to be sitting at home going, well, what are they going to do to day the day that they're going to fire me? You know, what is today to day that there's gonna be some kind of conclusion. And clearly that's not gonna be the case because they've extended this yet another month.
Speaker 2: Well, I know, Terry, you haven't spoken since she was fired, and she's you know, obviously because that's the advice and counsel. I get that whole thing, but I don't know for me or anyone listening, like, Okay, I get two hundred and three thousand dollars in full benefits and I don't have to do anything. But at the end of the day, you want some closure.
Speaker 3: Well, sure, you know, and she's she's already done, you know, her full career. You came back after she retired, so it's not like this is about money for her. It's not like it's about you know, I'm you know, I've got to got to be able to feed my family. You know, this is something that she came back because she felt driven to lead this department, and now it's just everything's up in limbo and it's just not fair. It's not how you treat somebody that's spent as many years that she has, much less anybody you know that's employed someplace. But unfortunately that's where we're at.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, they put her on leave before they even hired a law firm and investigator. From your perspective, what does that say about whether this is really ever about due process?
Speaker 3: Well, we know that it's not. You know, they for whatever reason, they decided they were going to get rid of her, just like they did Michael Washington, and now they're in in a spot where it's going to end up costing them. And that's just we knew all along that this wasn't about her effectiveness. This was they wanted to go in a different direction, and instead of doing things the right way, you know, they fumbled, unfortunately, like they did many times before.
Speaker 2: The tipping point was and this happened right after the Fountain Square shooting and the individual who shot they fired those weapons at City Bird, turns out he's free now because it was ruled self defense because the two individuals inside both under age and both in under disability, and they shouldn't have a gun fired at him from inside city bird, Chicken, how's that on the chief?
Speaker 3: Exactly? It's not. You know, we still see that there's there's still violence going on in this city. You know, there's only so much that the chief can do, There's only so much that every uniform police officer can do. But to try to put crime stolely at the feet of her is just not fair.
Speaker 2: We know, Ken Cober that share Long city manager sent Chief dg an email in August that essentially ordered her to clear all communications through the mayor's officeer go back that far that started in August? Does the flip? Do you guys believe this investigation can truly be independent given that context?
Speaker 3: Now it's not. I mean, it's what investigation. I mean. You can go and look at her personnel file and there's absolutely no discipline. And you would think if if she was doing things that were so egregious that they needed to terminate her, you would think that there would be at least some kind of paper trail other than you know, one communication saying hey, everything needs to get through me. That doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 2: This is an indictment of Adam Henny, the now interim chief. But he was a command officer who signed a citation that downtown brawl case at the mayor's request. I mean, let's they say that didn't happen, but let's just call it what it was. You need to charge a white guy in this thing because of propriety, even though Chief now Chief Henny wasn't on the scene and he took he found the sword for his officers, which I think endears him to beat cops for sure, saying hey, listen, he's the guy who did this knowing he shouldn't have done it.
Speaker 1: But what does that tell you?
Speaker 2: Though not about Adam Henny, but what does that tell you about who the administration trusts and why?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, you know, Adam was certainly put in a bad position that he had to make a decision. He stuck up first trips, which I certainly appreciate, but he certainly does call into some questions of how the timing and things happen afterwards.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the comments that came out here when they appointed Frost, Brown and Todd to extend this now for the third time in order to find out why they fired Chief Thiji back in October, they fired her or suspend her, I should say, fired her, and now they're looking for reasons why, and it's taking five months to do this. The quote was I read with the broader goals and objectives of the city administration, whether she further those that brought her goals? Is that just them? It sounded to me like when I read that quote, they're essentially asking whether she was loyal enough to the may or, not about law and order and the constitution and or swore an oath, but loyalty to the administration. And that should ever, should that ever be grounds for firing a police chief.
Speaker 3: No, it shouldn't. And this is where Issue five comes into play. Deal where the chief only has so much protection, and that's the problem. It's become a politicized position where if you don't get along with the people at city Hall, even if you're doing the right thing, it's just something they don't like, you know, Then you're going to end up facing these consequences. And that's that's that's why we've had so many different chiefs over the last ten twelve years.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: Issue five was sold to the voters like an accountability measure, but take us through that. For those who may not recall what Issue fives is, how it plays in here, describe that.
Speaker 3: You know, prior to it was like twenty ten. You know, the police chief and the fire chief as well, they were hired and then they were they stayed in the collective bargaining unit, so they were protected by our contract. Issue five took that away to where they could hire anybody from outside the department if they wish, and they would have no collective bargaining protection, which is why it then became such a politicized position, because you're going to do what I want you to do, or I'm going to fire you. And we've seen in every major city around this country to deal deals with the same thing. They have a new police chief every couple of years because you know, the honeymoon will wear off and then all of a sudden, the chief does something that's city hall or city manager whoever doesn't like, and then they get rid of them. And it's like that in every city in this country.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, yeah, Ken Cober as president of the since the FOP, Queen City Lodge and the City of Cincinnati is extending their contract with Frost Brown Todd Here as their independent council into looking why they fired Chief Terry Thigi in October and their job is to find the reason why they fired her in October. And here we are now headed into March. So is this about politics? One hundred percent? And it's costing the text. There's a hell of a lot of money too, because you're still paying DIJI, and you're paying Heny, and you're paying the law office the law firm to investigate this. And if it was a clear cut case of cause for getting fired for cause, the reason why why has it taken five months? A normal person would ask. So that's Issue five you proposed, I believe it was you proposed to those basically the many things you can said you could do right, repeal Issue five, let the chief or Terry thiej or Adam Hunty whoever work independently, or elect a new mayor. So which is the most viable option, the easiest path here?
Speaker 3: Well, I think the one, the path that is going to be the most permanent is to do something with Issue five. That way, regardless of who the mayor is, regardless of who the police chief is, they're going to have that protection. That's what ultimately needs to be done. It's going to be a heavy lift. We'll see how it works out, but that's ultimately what needs to be done if the people in this city want to have a police chief that can make decisions based off of safety not politics.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, an issue five. I mean it was sold to us as an accountability measure, and I believe it was your predecessor, way back in the day, FAP president Keith Fangman, who said it would do just what it's doing today. I mean that was back in two thousand, I believe two thousand and two somewhere around there. So twenty five years later, a quarter century later, he was absolutely right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, without a doubt. I mean, we all all predicted that this was going to happen, and well here we are.
Speaker 2: Ken the department. I think we're still one hundred and fifty officers short. Has that number changed it. I'll correct me on that one if I'm wrong. But I mean, you got a lame duck chief, You've got a chief and interim, You've got morale issues, you got recruitment issues. This can't be helping retain or attract officers.
Speaker 3: No, it's not. Yeah, you still have officers that are that are leaving every day. That just said I've had enough, I've got my twenty five years and I'm gonna leave. I'm not staying and do an extra You know, we are still we just didn't just graduate a class of fifty four, so that's certainly has help. But in the interim, like I said, every week, we have more people leaving, so it certainly continues to be a challenge. We got a class that's supposed to start the end of April, but it's still we're going to be significantly impacted by personnel shortage for years to come.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Jaji's attorney said, I looked at her jacket. She's thirty five years on the job and she hasn't had a significant negative performance review in thirty five years. And that just further under reminds us. Are they just sitting back I know you probably haven't talked to her counsel or her, but are they just sitting back on and going, Hey, listen, we're just gonna wind up settling and the city is going to have to pay a hole of a lot of money.
Speaker 3: That's what's going to happen, right, Yeah, I mean that's that's ultimately what's going to happen because anybody's going to look at this and see that this person's had a stellar career. You know, you have no negative discipline nothing, you know, so anybody can look at you. Has be an attorney to look at this and see that there's something more going on here and it has nothing to do with performance. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So if the investigation concludes they recommend termination, what options does the FOP have to challenge that outcome? Presuming you you're involved in this, there are you prepared to see that?
Speaker 3: Well? Unfortunately, because of issue five, Chief Fiji's not in our bargaining in it, so any action that she would take she would be doing on her own behalf.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is why she's hired outside council. Right if people go well the FOPL bit they or no, they can't because of again because of issue five.
Speaker 1: Hopefully we can get that repealed.
Speaker 2: Is there is there a momentum within council to do that or I can imagine that sare along and up want to do that, But what about counsol.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I mean I've talked to some council members that seem to certainly willing to entertain it. So we'll see here in the coming months of whether this gets any traction or not.
Speaker 2: Have you spoken to FOP council and just you know, maybe what's twisted in the wind out there, and how much is this going to cost us? Do we have any idea of the scope of the millions of dollars to pay Thigi off to design a non disclosure agreement and go away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it could be a very very significant amount of money, you know, And that's that's on the city. They're some things that created this mess, you know. I just hope whatever whatever agreement, if they do come to one that both sides can live with and we can move on, because that's ultimately what this police department needs.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 2: Well, it depends what crime numbers you look at right now. We've had a very very cold winter for sure. It tends to scare away the street riff raff if you will. But we had high profile shooting on New Year's Day of that young girl. We've had a streak of homicides and the light too. I didn't look today where we're pacing. But again, if we start to see another uptick this summer this spring, as the weather warms up and people go outside and hang out, and you know we're gonna have what a couple of weeks away from the time change, we always see a rut rising crime alongside that too. If the numbers are where they were this time last year or even higher, what does that say about this decision to get rid of Thiji. I mean, it's not an indictment of Adam Heney at all. But are we in a better place with Adam Heny than we were too resig.
Speaker 3: And that's the question. You know, I don't know what the crime stats are going to show up to see what kind of impact changes that he has made have on crime. We'll see hopefully they're positive ones. But I mean, ultimately, you can't you can't blame Chief Fiji, and you certainly can't blame Chief Henny, Yeah, for the problems with crime. What you can do is blame the people in society that don't know how to behave that that don't value life, that decide where we're just going to pick up a gun and shoot somebody because you said something mean to me. Until any of that changes for the better, we're going to likely see some of the exact same things regardless of whosi in charge of the Police Department.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like the Bengals, isn't it canon that it doesn't matter with the head coaches. You can pick back George Alis or the second coming of Jag or Hoover in your case. And if your hands are tied by the administration and it's all political, you really don't have any chance.
Speaker 3: Here, No, without a doubt. And if you remember the I think the last press conference that Chief Fiji did, some of her closing remarks, we're talking about how the expectation is for Since Saint police officers to go out and enforce low level crimes. That way we can make this city a safer place. And then two days later she's on administrative leaf. So I know there's certainly a good group of officers that certainly believe that this was a direct result of coming out and saying we're going to start enforcing low level walls that maybe we haven't enforced in the past, and that was something that city hauled it in Lake because we're going to have officers go out and be proactive and try to reduce crime. Well, there's a consequench for that, and of course now she's on administrative leaf.
Speaker 2: Now finally, Ken Cober, I won't keep you longer. When do you think this wraps up? I mean, how much longer can they keep extending? It's a third time to extended this deal with the law firm investigating why they fired Fiji back in October? Is this going to go six months in a year? Do they just simply want to drag this out till we forget to help me out here?
Speaker 3: I'm telling you, I was surprised myself when I heard yesterday that they extended this. You know, I guess from her perspective, you're being paid, you know, to sit at home. But I also understand it's like, look, she wants some finality to this. I want to let's move on. Let's see what's going to happen. I don't know, I don't know how long they drag it out. But every month that they drag it out, they're costing the taxpayers more and more money, right, and it's just an irresponsible thing to do. But at this point it's it's certainly not surprising.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know, Maybe reparations will fix this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you never know. Maybe maybe that's the chief of that.
Speaker 2: I'll get into that a little bit later on that was a proposal from jam Deshellaman careed. I'll try to get her out of the show next week if she wants five million reparations for the way people have coined her retreated in Cincinnati. Legitimate concern for sure, because it's true, but there's reparations to fix things. You can make a case it makes it worse, and we'll get that a little bit later on in the show. Ken Cober, President the FOP, thanks for jumping on this morning, brother, Be well and have a great weekend.
Speaker 3: Thanks. I appreciate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go, Ken, And a lot of questions if you're a city taxpayer, going, yeah, well, what about five months to figure this out? Clearly they fired her, got rid of her, put her and leave whatever it is, and we'll try to find something. Yeah, you know what she did in nineteen eighty three, she tore off a mattress. Tags that don't remove this tag on her pedaly the law that you're fired that thought. It's gonna come down to Scott's Loan show, News on the way in just minutes and Will Gantz, our guy from ABC.
Speaker 1: We got theater, we've got a reboot.
Speaker 2: We got movies out, I should say, and We also have a reboot of Scrubs if you're into that show. It's taken what sixteen years, I believe to bring this thing back. We'll find out what took so long, or find out why we're bringing it back. From Will, He's next after news on seven hundred w W Scott Slunsha.
Speaker 5: Noberman who has entertainment reporting of coursing through his veins.
Speaker 4: Which makes him a medical entity. He is ADCs Will Gans from New York.
Speaker 2: Will Gans, good morning, how's life buddy?
Speaker 4: Life is good. It's a ball me forty degrees in New York.
Speaker 6: So I've got my swim suit on and I am ready to see the sun again.
Speaker 1: Oh good well, I mean that's that's awesome.
Speaker 2: The fact that talk about multitasking, multi platform journalist Will Gans has now added weather in meteorology to his portfolio, like they got you do it enough.
Speaker 1: Now you're doing the forecast.
Speaker 6: As long as it's a follow up question, free zone, Sure I can, I can, I can let you know what the temperature is?
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, you know what?
Speaker 2: Okay, so you're at ABC. I got to ask you something I don't often watch. You know, the what's six o'clock? News and National not anybody over the age of or under the age of whatever it is. I'm not going to judge. But they're like, Okay, here, there's a severe winter store moving in and I'll bring in the meteorologist who does the morning show at J Gordon Morning America and I'll talk for four seconds and then okay, thanks for that.
Speaker 1: Like did they bring them all the way.
Speaker 2: In to midtown Manhattan for like literally only thirty seconds?
Speaker 1: Do they really do? Do you do you guys just live above the studios?
Speaker 2: How does that work? Because I'd be pissed off I've had to come to work for to do thirty seconds.
Speaker 6: Well, it depends I guess on who it is and what their work skits would be. Some of them would be in the building already, certainly, Yeah, like it's just part of their you know, their their daily shift. And then sometimes you'll see someone who's like in the field, maybe they're by the George Washington Bridge, and for them, for them being by the George Washington Bridge, it's like a twenty minute commute as opposed to coming all the way into the city, which would be like an hour and change. So they do try to accommodate two people's schedules, and or if it's outside of when they would normally be working, then maybe they'll try and put the live shot location somewhere that makes more sense to where they're coming from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but here's you know, ginger Z.
Speaker 2: They'll they'll Okay, she does GMA and you've been into you, dude, Jim, and then she's like later that night and if you turn on nightly then the news and she on and it's like, oh, here's Gingersey. She came in to tell you that there's a risk of a blizzard in Colorado. And then thirty seconds she's gone, like what that seems to be a huge painting.
Speaker 1: You better make a lot of money if you're doing that gig, like.
Speaker 6: You I mean, yeah, yeah, I would say that. There are certainly people who would say, yes, it is a.
Speaker 4: Pain to do that, but it's the job. And I do think, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm good. I don't know, I don't get it. Yeah all right, I love making you uncomfortable at Will Gantz are ABC News guy who's now a meteorologist as well, backing up Gingersey. I never really watched. I was never into it. I think maybe because I was working at night. I used to do nine to midnight here way back in the day, and I think that's when that was on. So I never saw the show, but I saw clips of it. It's hilarious, it's scrubs, and they're bringing it back. Has it been did I see sixteen years?
Speaker 6: Yeah, the initial run of the show was from two thousand to twenty ten, and now sixteen years later, they're calling it a revival series. So it's not a reboot because it's the same cast that wrapt Donald Faison and Sarah Chalk and then some all returning, and so yeah, the show is the same creative team, and it's the same creative team that did Ted Lasso and Shrinking and stuff like that. And so when you know that, it sort of makes sense, right, because it's like it's laugh out out funny, but it's also kind of touching and heartwarming and stuff as well. And so the first two episodes of the revival series dropped on Wednesday.
Speaker 4: They're streaming now on Hulu, and.
Speaker 6: Yeah, this season will have nine episodes, and I think the hope is that, you know, if fans like it as much as they liked the original series that it'll be picked up for season two and then some but first two episodes really like you know, they're not trying to reinvent the Wheel. It really is reminiscent of what that original sitcom felt like in the early two thousands.
Speaker 2: They do any callbacks because that would be difficult to do after sixteen years.
Speaker 6: I mean there are like some characters that were not announced as returning to the do pop up, so there is a lot of.
Speaker 4: Fan service in that way too.
Speaker 6: It's it's yeah, I think they do do sneak some callbacks and character you know, cameos and stuff like that that fans will love.
Speaker 2: It's weird, like that's gonna be the like the one of the longest breaks ever for a show.
Speaker 4: I mean, sixteen.
Speaker 3: Crazy.
Speaker 4: It's crazy. Yeah.
Speaker 6: And you know, Zach Braff, who is the star of the show, has gone on to direct, you know, different television shows, and now he's returning as an executive producer.
Speaker 4: So you know, I actually was able to talk to him and he said.
Speaker 6: Like, after doing all these different things, it's nice to come back, you know, in a different capacity with Scrubs and bring everything that he's learned in that sixteen year hiatus back to try and make the show even better than it was the first go around.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 2: Also on Hulu is Paradise and this is I believe a season two.
Speaker 3: Yes, so Sterling K.
Speaker 6: Brown plays a secret service agent and it's set in a dystopian sort of futuristic America. And people who watch this show are obsessed with it. And if you haven't watched it yet, you're only one season behind. It's not that hard to binge. And so the first three episodes of season two dropped this week, and they've added Shyleene Woodley to the cast, who you know, was in Big Little Eyes and The Fault.
Speaker 4: In Our Stars and stuff like that.
Speaker 6: So it's a thriller, it's a drama, and you know, it's one of those shows where like none of the main characters are safe, you know, even if they're you know. So it's it's it's a fun watch, I think if you're looking for something like that. Yeah, it's it's sort of like Lost is maybe what I would compare it to.
Speaker 1: But Lost isn't set in dystopian America.
Speaker 4: Is it no Loss with present day?
Speaker 6: But it is like a little science fiction y like that, and and and and the way that like some of those main characters can be killed off at at a.
Speaker 2: Moment's nose makes sense. Finally will gance in theaters this weekend. I think we're seeing.
Speaker 4: Scream seven, So Nev Campbell, we're seeing For fans of Scream, Scream.
Speaker 6: Seven is out and for for other people trying that movie Send Help that we talked about a couple of weeks ago, still in theaters. I loved that, And then next week we'll be talking about Hoppers, which is the new Pixar movie. But Scream seven, I think if you're fans of the show of the series, you know they also do a clever job of bringing back people who were killed off that you're like, there's no way they're back, but they some some characters from earlier screen movies are back. And not for nothing. Nev Campbell is amazing. She's she's always really, really good and so to see her return to the franchise is pretty fun.
Speaker 2: Top of your head, which movie franchises have the most sequels? I go, but you think James Bond, that's.
Speaker 4: An excellent guess.
Speaker 6: I mean Halloween with Jamie Lee Curtis.
Speaker 3: It feels like.
Speaker 4: They've done a gazillion movies. That's a really really great.
Speaker 2: Quest, great trivia question. I guess I'm trying to think which, Well, you gotta.
Speaker 3: Be Bond, right that guy?
Speaker 2: It was fake? Yeah, yeah, isn't There wasn't there like a Police Academy forty seven or a Saw one nine.
Speaker 6: When Paul Blart Mall Cop two came out that that's when I said we're doing too much with the sequels.
Speaker 4: And that was only number two.
Speaker 3: So but but yeah, I mean I.
Speaker 4: Think Bond has got to be It's up there the one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some of those well, Star Wars is getting up there too, But like a Marvel or a it's kind of hard because they're different. They're actually I mean it's it's the brand. It's they're different superheroes. Like what about like Godzilla?
Speaker 6: I mean, but are those technically sequels or are they remakes? Then you get yeah, then you get into some of the boys that in the Wieds huh.
Speaker 4: It is we're in the weeds.
Speaker 6: But I just your James Bond guest have to I'll do a little researching.
Speaker 7: Yeah, all right, maybe that's a that'll be a callback for next week.
Speaker 1: How about that?
Speaker 3: I love it?
Speaker 2: Unless you're off doing meteorology or good Married in America too, or whatever it is you do.
Speaker 1: In your world.
Speaker 2: Gans.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't control. I don't know how you do it. You're all over. I saw you the other day on the ABC stream.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 6: My schedule is inconsistent. Is a nice and polite way of putting it.
Speaker 2: Whether it's ABC or High art media. We go where we're kicked, That's where we go. He is Will Gans, ABC News multi platform reporter and meteorologist out of New York. At Will Gans with two s's on social uh, scrubs, Paradise and screen. What number do you say this with? Eleven?
Speaker 1: No seven seven seven.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I'm bad with math. I am really really bad. Have a great weekend, brother. I appreciate you.
Speaker 3: All right, Tony, take care.
Speaker 2: All right, there you go, it's our guy. We'll ants in New York. Like, you know, I may want to get back into car, like go back to Hulu and revisit the ones from like two thousand, because it looked I mean, it's a lot of clips like that's pretty fun. It's not quite office level, but it's there, right. Paradise is Yeah, Dystopi in America. My wife will not let me watch that because she hates that stuff, so I can't watch. You know how that is you're married and you know scream save it. I just I think I saw the first scream. I'm not a big sequel guy, because usually my theory is I'm cheap, I spend money. I'm like, yeah, the first one's good in a way. The second one can live up to that. You know, there's rare exceptions there, you know, Godfather, but it's it's not worth and eventually beyond it's like, okay, there's scream. I think another thing. It's scary and my wife wants nothing. That poor woman, her real life is scary.
Speaker 1: Married to me.
Speaker 2: We've got a news update coming up in just minutes of Scott's Loan show on seven hundred w all.
Speaker 1: Five thousand dollars.
Speaker 5: That's the average amount of money people in the US are now spending on gas in.
Speaker 4: A year, five grand.
Speaker 1: That's crazy.
Speaker 5: If you drive, you have to download Upside, the free app that gives you cash back every time you get gas.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 5: You can earn real cash back with Upside just by buying the gas. You're already buying You can literally start earning cash back today.
Speaker 2: I use Upside every time I fill up, and I've already made around to three hundred dollars.
Speaker 5: You're putting gas in your car anyway, why not get real cash back.
Speaker 4: If you like free money, download Upside.
Speaker 2: I'm saving the cash iron from using Upside to help pay for a vacation later this year.
Speaker 5: Download the free Upside app now to earn cash back every time you buy gas. Use promo code today to get an extra twenty five cents per gallon on your first tank. You can cash out any time writes your bank, PayPal, or a gift card for Amazon and other brands. Just download the free Upside app and use promo code today for a twenty five cents per gallon bonus on your first tank. That's code today for a twenty five cents per gallon bonus.
Speaker 2: All right, here we go weekend about to start seven hundred WW Scott Sloane Show, Will what else we got going on?
Speaker 1: What is not going on today? Is the question?
Speaker 2: A little bit later after ten oh six today, I want to get into the fact that Vice Mayor Jan michelleman Kearney is proposing reparations for folks in Cincinnati, and what is wrong with that? Man? You ask? Well, I mean, I guess if I were on the receiving end of reparations, and I probably could make a case as to why I deserve reparations. Quite honestly, the way I've been treated, I wouldn't argue. I go, hell, yeah, I deserve repara. Absolutely, I would deserve reparations, There's no question about it. But of course it's a real of should you pay for this if you're not of the receiving party. We'll get into that discussion. Kind of heavy for a Friday now, but that's at the ten of six today here on the Scottsoland Show on seven hundred w WELW saw the story today and it fortunately did it in tragedy. But it may be left with this kid steals. He's seventeen and he steals or non steal, seventeen years old and his car because it was registered to him stolen caaraster difference this already it's a several year old. Because I could see the end of it. A Kia Soul. Kia Soul. He apparently just got his life driving one hundred over one hundred and thirty miles an hour and runs into a house. Fortunately no one was home, or that there was no one that was injured anyway, he was fine. The whole thing walks away from it. But you know, it's not a case of a stolen car. It's young and stupid and testosterone and wheels, let alone alcohol and thron the gal calls involved. But it's a horrible combination because speaking from the guy personerspective, here, we're really stupid. We're stupid our whole lives, but we're particularly dumb up until our thirty some cases our sixties. And I think about this good and it happens more. You know, people will steal a car in all high reach of speed we see all the time in Cincinnati, and I'm not talking about people have the means to afford a really, really nice car.
Speaker 1: I think here's the problem.
Speaker 2: To play the back in the day game for a second. So I think when I was sixteen, seventeen, eighteen years old, and I think I got my first car when I was nineteen, and you could your car then couldn't go faster than fifty miles an hour. I mean, let alone, you know seventy you get to Okay, you're pushing it like fifty the wheels of be out of line and think it vibrate. You know, I'm talking about you, that hooptee ground And if you got the sixty six sixty mile fifty five. That's why the speed on was fifty five. Like literally, if you went seventy, the card fall apart. Most cars in the road were just that'd be it. And that's the car you had when you're young, and everyone has a car if you're of a particular age, that sucked back then. And this is not an indictment. Today's kids got it so they're so soft and easy. That's not what I'm saying. It's like technology did this. Like today you have a car. You don't have to get a tune up to one hundred thousand miles. Your car back in the day wouldn't make it to fifty thousand miles. My first car I had it literally if you lifted the hood up, if you could get the hood open, it was so rusted around where the engine was it looked like magic was holding the engine in place. You'd look down and you could see the tops of the tires. That's how rusted out it was. And that was my first car. And my buddy had a car that had a leak of the gas tank and could only put a quarter tank of gas and every time. So there are times where we drive and this is in we're let's go to Bowling Green and we'd have to drive to like Detroit. I remember we had to go do something and he had to stop. From some Bowlinger to Detroit's like an hour drive. We had to stop three times for gas on the way. Anytime you do a road trips like it's gonna take forever. During the Columbus one time, I think we had stopped for gas seven times because you only put a quarter tank it otherwise it'd spill all out.
Speaker 1: You lose your money to be gas all over the place.
Speaker 3: No go.
Speaker 1: But that's how it was back in the day. It's like one hundred thirty miles an hour.
Speaker 2: There's no damn way. No one goes driving one hundred and thirty miles an hour back then unless you had okay, maybe you were a little older and you had money, and you had a nice car, which would have been a.
Speaker 7: Muscle car, you could do that. But even one thirty with a rear wheeled wheel drive yeah, if you had it really tricked out, if you had you know, the engine. But there were very few people that did that. Like fifty five was a pig. If you go seventy miles an hour, you were that's insane. That's like space shuttle speeds. But back then you're you're lucky.
Speaker 2: Now it's says, well, I got I got air conditioning, got the heat and cool seats. I've got South rounds in this thing. It's gorgeous. Back then you're lucky if the heater worked, let alone. No one had air conditioning. And I'm not being bitter old man with the cloud, just saying it's like, people, come up. Cars are so much better today. It's like awesome. If you complain about it today, you're out of your mind. Cars are amazing. They will last one hundred thousand miles, even the cheapest cars. The other day we're talking about the average resid new car over fifty thousand dollars, and wow, that's incredible. But the cars last longer than they did back in the day. Literally, they you get I don't know how many years have I never had a new car. I wouldn't know, but like my old man would buy a car and think, I don't know if you got ten years out of it, If that literally fifty thousand miles, I know we're not driving as much as we used to, but that's also because it was a big deal to drive back then.
Speaker 7: Because while the car would literally fall apart in you get up to fifty and the whole thing would start vibrating. Screws would be popping out, like the scene from Apollo thirteen where they're sweat running down the control panel.
Speaker 2: What's going on over here? But at different times back in the day, that's not today, You're like one hundred and thirty miles. It's like it's a Kia Soul, for God's sake, like the equivalent of a Kia Soul back in the eighties. I don't know what they would be, but you probably couldn't go more than fifteen miles an hour. I would do a news update and we want to return to the show. Maybe a little bit more serious this morning, but then again maybe not. The city is at least vice maryor Jan Micheldeman. Kearney is proposing reparations for Cincinnatians in particular neighborhoods. She says this is not a race based issue at all. It's an issue of fairness, but if you look at the neighborhoods and the people who get the money, it most certainly is a race based. The problem is this, and it's one of those things where I think politicians do this on both sides, where they will craft and create a problem there's no solution to but by pretending to dwant to do something, it looks like you actually can do something. There's a huge difference here and what does it do. It just causes to be more coarse and more divisive and beat device. You know, It's just it's not I don't think it's good because they're I think they're deliberately doing this knowing there's no way it's going to happen, and they'll do that to ingratiate themselves, to make it look like they're fighting if you won. In fact, they know it's just simply not going to happen. But that's that doesn't that cause the divide to be worse. We'll get into that right after news on the Home of the Reds seven hundred ww Cincinnati.
Speaker 5: Do you want to American?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: So this is about fairness. Are you for fairness? I'm for fairness. Tell me how this is fair. So the Cincinnati Real Property Reparations Program, I said, reparations, which is a polarizing word. We've had polarizing words throughout history of things that are sex sister, Like, we used to call flight attends and stewardesses and now we call them flight attendants. We used to call people with developmental disabilities. Well, the R word right anyway, Okay, I think they're going to have to because this word is so polarizing and so demeaning. I think maybe you got to come up with something else, just a suggestion for it. But it's the Cincinnati Real Property Operations Program. It's going to go to council on Tuesday, five million dollars, no eligibility criteria, funded by marijuana techs. San Francisco's trying to do the same thing or had anyway, and they can't pay for it. So is it real just a gesture to make up look like they can solve the issue. Probably that. So here's the story real quick. We'll give it all the facts of this thing. It's presented by Cincinnati Vice Mayor jan Michelle Leman Kearney and Scottie Johnson and it's up for as I said next week, it provide financial assistance for down payments, to linquid property taxes and emergency repairs. In the Rising fifteen, they called the Rising fifteen poorest neighborhoods in Cincinnati. So is your neighborhood eligible? That is the question. Well, I got the full list here in fifteen neighborhoods Village, Arrolls, Hills, Millvale, English Woods, Lower Price Hill, Queen's Gate as part of as well, although I say Queen's Gate's going through some significant redevelopment here with the with the Brent Spence Bridge project, also wenton Hill, South Fairmont, West and East Westwood, Avondel, Roselawn, Monorary, East Price, Sell, South Cumminsville, and North Faremont. Those are your Rising fifteen poorest neighborhoods. So if you're a low to moderate income resident, or any individual and any individual or family member of an individual who was prevented from buying a home due to discriminatory practices, you will be eligible for this. She insists this is not race based, but the fifteen target neighborhoods are all in predominantly black, of joining our minority neighborhoods.
Speaker 1: It's not race based at all.
Speaker 7: I don't know if you feel I guess if you're white, or if you're Asian, uh, Indian, and you felt you were discriminated against, I'd have my hand out.
Speaker 2: Let's start here. It's called the Real Property Reparations Program. That's a mouthful because the word reparations is doing a very specific job. It's making a moral claim. That's the problem that you I'm talking to you right now, unless you're an individual eligible for the money, you as a Cincinnati tien, oh somebody. Something that's very different than saying we want to help low income people buy homes. And that's a good program. That's a program we could well, we could debate it's merits and who's eligible who's not. But you're lifting people up. Sure, But the moment you frame it as reparations, you already decided. You've declared, you pronounced someone guilty in someone deserving. That's the problem. Before, by the way, a single fact has been established, before, in a single individual's circumstance has been verified.
Speaker 1: How are you going to do this? How is it possible?
Speaker 2: Uh? And it's not race based. The framing says one thing. The geography says something else. And I'll give you my personal example. We all have individual examples of this. My great grandparents came here from Europe in nineteen twelve. They didn't own slaves, they didn't benefit from redlining, they had nothing. As a matter of fact, I make a case that my families deserve reparations. It wouldn't be here to be a to New York, but by some of the things that happened to the family. I don't want to get out in the weeds on that. But they built what they had from scratch, no inheritance, no general as well. Yeah, but it's different because the black experience. You know, Italians, Irish, Polish were all treated horribly in this country. I'm not trying to equate the Black experience with the European groups that came here. But the idea that somehow Europeans just came out at ease, it's a ballface lie. There was incredible discrimination against folks, which is why they lived in Italian neighborhoods. Polish. Now you had German villages here in Cincinnati, because you know, together you made a group which basically was a union, right, an ethnic union. The core problem with reparations at any level is that the people paying and the people collecting were not parties to the original wrong. That's the problem. You know, in civil court, the entire system exists to make injured parties hold the defendant has to be the one responsible for the harm. If that's not proven. If you can't prove that, then you don't win. Who's the defendant here? Since NY taxpayers, most of the people, I would safe to say all of the people listening to me right now have no connection whatsoever to what happened in the nineteen twenties with the Real Estate Board of Policies, so that maybe maybe a few in the nineteen fifties with federal redlining. You're probably a small child. Then you're no hand in that. And the question nobody wants to answer, how in the hell do you verify eligibility? How do you do that? No, look at that, there's no qualification. You've got to lay out the qualifications for this. Who qualifies? How do you prove? Cincinnati, the counsul is being asked to approve a five million dollar program without knowing who gets the money or how you prove a deserve it. And you know what if you vote against this, that makes you look like a racist, like you don't care more the same, which gives more. So don't tell me who's bringing people together. It's dividing people even more. Well, what do you mean, I gotta prove, I gotta deserve it. I live in this Neighborhoo, I'm black, I get them up right. No, that's not at all. You have to prove, you have to show and verify all this stuff. I don't know if anybody is interested or has time to do that. And don't this get distracted by the five million that's the opening bit. I mean, look, it's been tried elsewhere. Remember California did I should have checked out, and so the last time I checked on this, though, I want to say that San Francisco was like a quarter million dollars, more than a quarter million dollars a person, and you do the math, it's like almost it's almost a trillion dollars. That's two and a half times more than California's entire annual budget. Or Frisco. We're gonna give five million dollars per person, and they were California wasn't even.
Speaker 1: A slave stand. That's insane.
Speaker 2: Evanston, Illinois, to the first American city to actually fund reparations, ran a twenty million dollar program, handed out twenty five thousand dollars payments, and it's not making the payments because the marijuana attacks didn't raise enough money. So that sounds familiar. It's exactly where Cincinnati is right now. And then once the doors open, the number becomes infinite because no amount of money undoes the terrible wrongdoing, the terrible history of where we came from, the moral logic of we owe you has no floor and no ceiling. It's pretty much open to anyone without proof. And you know I mentioned San Francisco being the caution a tail. Here they are committees and task force and advisory boards and recommendations and I think it was last in December they voted to establish our reparations from the mayor sign they announced to say, well, you know what, we have no money to fund this because they're running already a billion dollar deficit for doing dumb stuff like this, And well what about private donations? Wait a minute, private duff from who is good? I mean maybe if you have enough money or gail you're like, okay, I'll be proud of the solution, but it's never gonna be enough. It's the problem. It is horrible, horrible thing that we didn't. No one can well, I'm sure some people, I'm sure the clansmen that showed up and you know out in uh Lincoln Heights, would would argue this, but no one goes, wow, it's it was what a great time in American So it's terrible, but we did something starting with Lincoln, and of course, and we also had the Klan in the twenties and thirties a well after Lincoln, and we've had a history of race problems in this country for a long long time, a long long time. Nineteen fifties, we had landmark civil rights lation in the nineteen sixties, again in the eighties, and yeah, I mean, you know, we're far from perfect, make no doubt about it. But there's no one with a straight face you can go, well, logo's going to nineteenth logo is going in in the you know, in the nineteenth century or the turn of the century, or the twenties or the fifties or the sixties, and like that was good. Now we look at that and go, wow, that's awful. It's awful, and anyone who's seen any of the film from the nineteen sixties of those people who were trying to keep segregation alive. It's not just cringey. It's reprehensible, right, it's sickening. But you look at it and go, wow, we've really moved on from this.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: The people who tell you that represent good idea will tell you that, no, that's not true at all, as you don't understand it's still bad. Okay, I mean you do have to have a hand in this, and I understand that. I mean example, Cincinnati, look at Ezra Charles Boulevard. Look at what we're doing now with the Brent Spence Bridge project. You know, you look at it from an arrow of view and go, okay, there's seventy Yeah, but it cut through a black neighborhood. Like back in the day they said, hey, it's just black. It's fine, we'll put a highway here. It's good and destroy the fabric, destroyed the neighborhood. Sure that's something. There are there people still around the experience that. Yeah, yeah, they're very old. But okay, but then who's going to pay that? Should it be up to people who had no hand in that, who probably are listening and agreeing with me that we should have be responsible to do that in Okay, in America, in court, civil court particularly, money is a remedy. That's how you fix something. You can't undo something you did, but you can pay a hell of a lot of money to do it. You know, a liability of lawsuit, defamation. Uh you know you put you made a bad product that killed people. Yeah, you can't bring those people back to life, but you can pay a hell of a lot of money. Okay, I get that, But who pays the money? The party responsible for that atrocity. They don't quote back, they don't go in bag in history. Okay, well, yeah, I don't know this. This company has long been since out of business. A paint company made a product, had lead based paint, who killed a bunch of people. Okay, kids are great. Uh that well, that company's not around it anymore. Okay, Well, we're just going we'll sue every paint company because big painted it. That never stand And in this case, how is that even possible? You're listening now and you disagree, like I had nothing to do with life. I got to pay you though, now, Well, but it's different. It's tax money, and it's yeah, but you're going to give the Let's say you give the money away. Let's say you did something that other cities, other states have tried but can't do. Okay, five million dollars, here you go, and then you just hand all this money out. It's gone in a flash. And we still have violent crime, we still have people who don't have any opportunity to rise up. And people take that money, what do they do with it? They're going to go to school, they can invest in probably not. I mean, it's your money. And I'm a proponent of you get money as long as they're not caveats. Is what you can do with it? It's your money, you don't know, blow it all on lottery tickets. Blow it on lottery tickets, your cash. Where's the accountability there? And how does that lift people up?
Speaker 3: Then?
Speaker 2: Because we've done such a poor job educating people, We've done such a poor job putting a putting a price on education. And let's face it, the public school system's not good. It's getting better, but it's not good. But is that the fault of the teachers, is that the fault of the quality student, and those quality students come from homes that are broken, or there's problems, there's crime, and there's a lot of issues in urban neighborhoods.
Speaker 1: How does that fix this? What will you do.
Speaker 2: With the twenty five or whatever the amount of money is, Well, we're gonna ear market to buy homes. Okay, we're gonna hear to my bones. So everyone's got money, they're gonna want to buy home. Where are these houses you speak of? Because right now the housing market is tight. Af Can you use that money? Okay, it's twenty five, but you're gonna get that money, and now you got to you got to put it towards education. All right, Well, we're going to have some people go to school, I mean, but you're gonna have what it's gonna happen is you're gonna have a lot of people start their own quote unquote academies that don't teach anybody anything but take their twenty five thousand dollars. See what I'm saying, it'll create this whole. It's like when there's a hurricane or tornado that blows through. You get contractors flooding to an area where that's going on. But you got a lot of fly by night people who aren't going to do the work. They're gonna take the money and leave. And that's what you always want with these things. So what is this going to do? Well, we made you a whole Okay, Well, and I don't know, five, ten, twenty years, we hand this money out and the needle hasn't moved. Okay, it hasn't helped people's lives. It briefly helped their lives, but it didn't help their lives. And educational attainments still the same. Joblessness is still the same. Crime is still the same. Maybe we need to get ten million dollars this time. Maybe that will do it, you know, and jamished, I'll try to get jam Michelle on last week. She's friend of the show. I just disagree with on this issue. I think it's tired. I think it's Warren. I think it's more to visit than anything else. Proved me wrong. I'll give her some credit here. She says it's not race based, but she's probably seen that for a reason, because if it's explicitly race based, it most certainly violates civil rights law and the equal protection clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. You know, let's go back to twenty twenty three in the Harvard decision, the Affirmative Action decision, racial classifications require the strict scrutiny. Right, you gotta have compelling government interest, as it said. So you're trying to thread the needle calling it income based, a neighborhood based. But those fifteen neighborhoods are not randomly selected. They're specifically the poorest, most racially concentrated areas in Cincinnati. So there's real legal exposure here for the city. And if it passes, it gets challenged. Guess what.
Speaker 1: We pay for that too.
Speaker 2: So you're paying for reparations, and you're gonna pay most certainly for the lawsuits that are coming down. And that is absolutely one hundred percent going to happen as a result of this. I mean, okay, So you can't deny that redlining didn't happen. It did, Right, nobody's arguing that black families weren't denied the ability to build generational wealth through home ownership. They were in the nineteen Twentiescording to the story, Cincinnati Real Estate Board they literally said this in nineteen twenties, no agent shall rent or sell property to colored people on established white section. That's what the loss had been and that's documented. It's real, it happened in the nineteen twenties, and it's horrible. But the answer to this systemic wrong is not a program that can't identify who the defendant is, You can't verify eligibility, can't cap costs, may not even survive a legal challenge. The answer is race neutral investment in neighborhoods that were harmed, better schools, infrastructure, maybe business loans, job training, housing programs. I mean, if you're gonna do it, do something like that. But we had those programs before and have they worked well. If they did, we wouldn't need this. And it also helps the actual people live in there now, regardless of whether they can prove their grandmother it was died alone in nineteen twenty eight or nineteen fifty two. The parallel here and you hear it this, well, what about what happened to Japanese during World War Two? As you know, there were internment camps for Japanese. Once the Japanese attacked Pearl harborly looked at anyone who's Asian, and particularly Japanese, as potential spies, and we rounded them up, took their proper well, I don't know if we took their proper we held, we put them in internment camps, and American internment reparations work precisely because they were targeted. They're verifiable, and they're finite. If you're a living survivor, there was documented government action against you and your family, and then therefore, if that's the case, you receive a fixed payment. That's a model. This is not that. That is maybe that I don't know. There's twenty three and millions some DNA evidence. But if you're really in the genealogy, maybe you got a shot at this. But most people don't. Most people are going to do that kind of homework. We're just going to assume that because you live in this neighborhood and because if you're a particular racial element you deserve money. That is not the same as Japanese Americans who were interred during World War Two. Now we have an all democratic city council. Every single member is elected as a Democrat. There's no opposition whatsoever, even though you look at the crime, look at the problems we had and still went yep, well, we elect mayor after fear O Luck to council as a whole sure got it. Now some of us outside the city look at this and go I got my popcorn out, And I mean, look at the thing with Fiji that we talked to at the Kenkober at nine o six on. By the way, I'll be on the podcast if you miss that. They've now extended the Frost Brown Todd contract a third time. We're into We're gonna be going into six months after letting Terry Thigi go without an answer as to wire a letter go in the first place. You know, I I often and I always get killed for this and when I dare criticize Republicans and Republican leadership in Columbus, which is run by Republicans Larry Householder, et cetera.
Speaker 1: And oh what kindor I'm fair?
Speaker 2: Is what I am. I'm tired of bs. I don't care if the right or left quit blowing smoke up my rectum. Damn here killed them. This is a council's side of this job is progressive politics and not managining since the night I Meanwhile, the city's like forty nine thousand dollars into an investigation a thij who's getting paid two hundred and three k year to sit home Adam Henny who has it's not his fault. It seems like a good guy and the good cops, a cops cop, he's getting paid. It's like, I'm sure he got a bump to be chief. We're funding the lawsuit, as I said, and will also follow, believe me, the settlement that's coming down between the g and the city. So Shia will sign a non disclosure agreement that doesn't tell anyone how much money she's getting or admitting guilt. And now we're talking serious money. Two hundred three k a year plus Henny plus a legal fees. That's jump change. The real money is going to come into settlement. Priorities matter, Resources are finite. Every dollar of this council spending on a program that may be on constitution unfundable that there's no eligible the criteria for is not a dollar. It's a dollar not going to public safety in the roads, it's not going to the things the city government is a responsible So we're gonna give five more million dollars away. And I'm you know, I get it. It's a terrible thing. We agree one hundred percent, but you can't you cannot unite people to by dividing them, and that's what this seeks to do. I know, heavy for a Friday morning, but the storage just broke this morning. We'll switch it up. We've got sports, sports and more sports. Red legs looking pretty good out in Arizona. We got some UC news, We've got FC making news, and much much more. It's just ahead here Scott's loan with Austin Elmore from ESPN fifteen thirty looking ahead. What you're gonna watch sports wise this weekend? Seven hundred ww That music can mean only one thing. Gladys are coming in the ring. Or it's Austin Elmore, ESPN, fifteen thirties, Sports Authority.
Speaker 7: You know the name of this song? No trophies? Well by uh Drake? Oh it's Drake. Okay, but I just I you know trophies. My team's never win any but me neither.
Speaker 2: And I'm older than you are, you know, just trying ang yes one time, just one, Give me one, Give me one, give me one. What has less meaning this week? Austin Elmore spring training or the NFL.
Speaker 7: Combine Spring training? Spring training is far less meaningful. I mean, well, what is going on the combine?
Speaker 2: It's so it's Okay, they're doing press conferences every day and they're finally talking. I get that, but it's watching guys high jump and run. It's like, we know you can jump high and lead fast. It doesn't mean anything.
Speaker 7: The on field workouts are probably the least important part of the combine. What you actually get are medical exams, team interviews, and full measurements of players, because you know, everybody lies when they're at their shore. Say they're bigger than they are, taller than they are, faster than they are. Well, the NFL guys finally get to get their hands on some of these guys, like physically and in all these different ways. So it is meaningful to have these interviews. And oftentimes a team that interviews a player, they are more likely to draft him. So these guys are making millions of dollars. Teams are you know, crossing guys off their boards and so on and so forth. So yes, it's more meaningful. Have we done the math on we were in too the math Actually I was going to ask that question, but the corlish. Okay, so we have the combine. I okay, well, now we can really get down to the data here.
Speaker 2: And then of course you have the draft, and it's based on how they played in college, but also somewhat to do with the combine. I don't know what the ratio is there exactly, but again it's large. I'd say that first round kind of crapshoot. Is the guys how we're going to turn on, specially quarterbacks, because it's where you're drafted and the I guess the system built around you to allow you to succeed, which makes Joe Burrow even more incredible of a freak that he is in that regard. And so it's like it's still at the end of the day, an educated guest, Yeah, it absolutely is.
Speaker 7: There are a ton of different factors that go into whether or not a player is going to be successful at this particular team. And that's why the combine has become such a big deal is because you do start to apply. Okay, the data from years past has led to this result. So guys that are doing it this year could be on this track. And obviously, as you mentioned, there's things that are far just as important. Who the coach is, what the cap situation is, the players in front of that guy, the player's personal life and their family and all this others like, there's a lot that goes into it, for sure, So you're right, yes, it's an educated guess. But this is the part where you get the education. You get to figure out, Okay, here's how we feel about a player, right.
Speaker 2: And at the same time, despite all of that stuff, the biggest questions of the combat are like, Okay, are they going to give are they going to tag Trey Hendrickson? Are they who's going to be the backup? Because are they going to resign Flocko? Those are the big questions right now. Yeah, I mean, I think Trey's the biggest one. And it was reported by Kelsey Conway earlier this week that or last week that the Bengals are going to spend the week in Indianapolis trying to figure out if there's any value for Trey Hendrickson, if it would be worth it for them to tag him and trade him. Now, listening to Duke Tobin and Zach Taylor and the coordinators and everyone over the week, it doesn't like that's going to be a realistic possibility. So March third, this coming week, is the deadline for whether or not the Bengals are going to tag him and if they're going to tag him, they're more than likely going to trade him.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's going to happen.
Speaker 7: I don't think the Bengals are going to tag him therefore, I don't think they're going to trade him. Therefore, he's going to become a free agent when the league year begins on March eleventh.
Speaker 2: Gotcha, And that is the word coming out of Indianapolis.
Speaker 7: That's my guess based off of It's always been my thought as to what's going on. Unless the Bengals are talking to a team over there and they offer them something that they can't refuse, which I don't think they would do because the Bengals don't have much leverage in this situation. I think they're going to let them walk because that's typically what they've done in the past. There's been very few tags and trades over the last several years.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 2: The thing is is, why are you sitting here telling me the Why are you telling me of this from Indianapolis? Because I try TV is streaming, everyone is there.
Speaker 1: Why aren't you?
Speaker 2: There's good question you should be there. It's a good question. You know, I don't know how much authority and say you have. I don't know if I can trust.
Speaker 1: You, Audi, I have very little authority.
Speaker 7: I am a as big of a nobody as there is no Pike's not there, is not there, Miss Dumpster. Callister is not there, Dennison is not there. Well, we don't have anybody there. We asked if we were told you would be there, all right, and then we weren't.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's talk about baseball. Why do you hate baseball?
Speaker 3: Somemod.
Speaker 2: I don't hate baseball better than spring turning baseball wrong with you said, which is more meaningful?
Speaker 1: In Cincinnati?
Speaker 7: I don't care about Nick Sando giving up Grand Slams to Manny Machado. Why should I That dude played in Dayton last year. He's not going to be on a big league team. Rhett Louder deals today, Htt Louder. Rhet Louder, I like Redd Louder Brent Suter. It is a reds the old red matchup to Brent Suter pitching for the Los Angeles Angels and Rhett Louder.
Speaker 2: You can't.
Speaker 7: I mean, you want to talk about two opposite into the spect Uh, you're gonna see that. I mean Rhet Louder and Chase Burns continue to kind of compete for that final spot. Chase Burns looked pretty good yesterday. He keeps walking some guys. I think through two starts. That's probably my biggest concern is the control from Chase Burns. But his slider is absolutely filthy. He's getting a swing and a miss on ninety percent of the sliders that he throws. I mean, if you're doing that, you're gonna last a while in the big leagues. It's gonna be tough for Rhet Louder to out do that. Yeah, you would think so. But at the same time, if Rhet Louder is able to keep the ball, you know, in the strike zone a little bit more frequently, and not walk as many guys and not put himself in such a difficult position. I mean, keep in mind, Rhet Louder made six starts towards the end of twenty twenty four and had a one point one point seven r right. I mean, he was really good feeling. So I don't know that it's just cut and dry. Chase Burns is gonna be the fifth starter. I think there's still some competition to play. He bitch good yesterday. See what Louder does and it's just the first few days of spring trying. A lot can happen between now and then. So before you say Burns is gonna be the fifth starter, we'll see, Yeah. I mean there's still twenty seven long days, long days between now and opening down, all right.
Speaker 2: And Lodola looks sharp in his day before strikeouts two scoreless and except the White Sox so yeah good good out of the box.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and a White Sox team that's spent a lot of money and is expected to be better offensively. And Lodolo looked really good, man. I mean, I think a lot of people have said his ceiling is still very very high. It comes down with him, with Hunter Green and with Andrew Abbott. Can those guys make a combined ninety starts? Can you get thirty starts out of each of those dudes? And if so, I think the Reds are going to be in the postseason and maybe a l Central champions. But with Lodolo it's the same story. Can he stay healthy for a full season because when he's on, we saw it last year, we saw it yesterday or two days ago in training.
Speaker 2: He's a beast. That's a long season. Graham Ashcraft got rocked for with six runs two thirds of an inning.
Speaker 6: That was.
Speaker 7: That was a rough one that I'm trying not to overreact because as I said, it's it's not that meaningful. But I just sometimes I feel like there's a lack of focus sometimes with Graham Ashcraft that I don't quite understand. But I don't know what he was working on yesterday. I don't know if he was just throwing a specific cutter to try to work on that pitch and he threw it three times in a row and it got black.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I don't know exactly what he was working on. So it's it's unfair to sure provide a full evaluation, and we shouldn't lose our mind over Chase Burns either. So well, it's all about to is.
Speaker 2: What I going back. None of this stuff really matters. Five five games played so far in Cactus League action, and the back at it today. By way, it's a three h five pitch first pitch here on the home of the Red, seven hundred w other Friday, the sun's out and we've got baseball and sixty degrees son. Yeah that's pretty good, right, Yeah, it's pretty good offensively though, Elli Dala Cruz came to camp and he put some good weight on seventeen pounds, five hits of spring all extra basis, triple double Thursday. Sal Stewart a slimmer down Sales Stuart I kind of like my Sal Stewart, like my l Rokers. I let him thick.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 7: People were worried about is that gonna, you know, rook into your candidate lead to a power outage for salth Stuart apparently not. He hit a home run the other day that was so far inside. It was a pitch that you typically don't want people swinging at, but he was able to get the barrel so far inside, bring those hands in and hit one four hundred plus feet on a like a scud missile to left center field to hit it out of the ballpark.
Speaker 2: That sort of raw power.
Speaker 7: Even when you lose some weight and get in better shape, to be a little lighter on your feet, you still have that type of power, that type of bat speed.
Speaker 2: South Stewart could have a big season. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And there's always a guysally a gavp. There's those a guy that comes to camp.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying he will or won't be, but it's it's either rookie and sale had a you know he had I wouldn't say cup of coffee, but he was there for the playoffs and everything. There this a guy comes along, either rookie or a veteran that comes in. It's like, oh my god, this guy JJ ble.
Speaker 7: Today is that guy. Every year there's a guy. He's that guy right now, I look like Barry Bonds.
Speaker 1: The other day it's four hundred and fifty foot job.
Speaker 6: The way he.
Speaker 7: Dropped a barrel on that thing and sent it four hundred and sixty four feet. You know, we kind of made fun of JJ Budey. He met with the media. You know they there's a bunch of media in a goodyear as well covering the Reds. Who media like local media?
Speaker 2: You mean people? That isn't it interesting?
Speaker 6: Wait?
Speaker 1: So you're saying that there are people in sports that hold on a second?
Speaker 7: Okay, The seven hundred w LW is the flagship radio station of the Cincinnati Reds. How often do we have people in goodyear covering the team?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 2: Screw that up.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm not here to blame people. I'm just saying, does it happen?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Okay? What about down the hall I don't want to know.
Speaker 7: ESPN fifteen thirty flagship station the Cincinnati Bengals. Yeah, you have nobody at the epicenter of the NFL universe ninety minutes up the road.
Speaker 1: Last screw that, Okay, blame to those starts.
Speaker 2: No, oh my god, with the I don't even I don't even want to. I don't even want to.
Speaker 1: Let me just let's just say that there was a lot of money was paid.
Speaker 2: Oh, oh my goodness. All right, Austin Elmore's here from ESPN fifteen thirty, kicking around sports waiting for me outside the hall.
Speaker 3: This is me.
Speaker 2: I'm good. Oh, I know, you're fine. Fine, I'm invested. VET got more dirt on that doesn't happen on me, So that works. I got stories, I got pictures. I'll go public, be honest, they're not missing it. I don't care. All right, let's get into well offensive. We talked about Ellie, We talked about sale. The biggest question is going to be Matt McLain. Can he return to where he was prior to last season? Yeah, and so far, so good. Yeah, so far it looks really good.
Speaker 7: The big development we talked about last week Matt McClain long pants, maybe that's the difference.
Speaker 1: But he contribuses to draw.
Speaker 2: He continues to.
Speaker 7: Have good at bats and make contact, and that was the big thing last year. Even when he he wasn't making contact. He wasn't even falling balls off last year, and it's like, okay, you got to get the timing down. He had a two week stretch where he looked like Matt McClain, and then the other forty weeks of the season he looked horrible. So if he can just continue to make contacts and let that ball travel in the zone a little bit and kind of go the other way with it, that was a big issue with him. I think he's adjusted his stance a little bit. You kind of go through all the stuff over the course of the off season. Another year of health for that shoulder. I have big expectations for Matt McLean, but last year he was a beast in spring training as well. To go back to the point we just made, you don't know what Graham Ashcraft is, don't know what Chase burn. You can apply that to the pitchers the Reds are facing as well, so you don't put a ton of stock into it. But if you're still making contact, if you're doing the right things, that's at least something to look forward to.
Speaker 2: Okay, final play, because I want to make it sound like, you know, we're Red's Homer's here, or throw a little negative in here. The base running. Reds struggle with base running. Always struggled. He struggled yesterday badly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know how to explain it.
Speaker 3: I have.
Speaker 2: You don't want to go it's spring man, give him a break. Okay, that's fair, But it's we've seen this before.
Speaker 7: We've seen it for the last several years, and the people that are in charge of base running are still there, those coaches are still there.
Speaker 2: It's still been a common theme.
Speaker 7: I don't know, especially for young players who have come up playing baseball their entire lives. You know, how to run the bases, it's inexplicable. So hopefully that's something that they just get that out of their assistance. And Ellie was one of the guys that we see that all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Ellie is is.
Speaker 7: Sometimes Again, it's just like there's this lack of focus where it's like, oh crap, so play all nine innies need to be there, that's right, you need to be there.
Speaker 2: Let's pivot to FC there in action of at Minnesota. That's a four thirty match. I believe you rarely see a team put up nine on another club, But it was that weird cup thing that. It was a bunch of guys that were I think it's like the Jamaican Bob's led.
Speaker 7: Team back the O and m f C from the Dominican Republic were only able to have i think fourteen players make the trip because of travel and visa issues. So when you have that, you're you know, it's cold here compared to what it was for them in the DR. That's a recipe for a nine, nine to nothing slacking. Now you talk about this weekend at Minnesota. They don't play that thing in the dome up there with the Vikings player. Now Minnesota is going to be outdoors. It's gonna be four degree trees for FC Cincinnati tomorrow afternoon in Minnesota. That's gonna play a role, I'm sure in that game. But whenever you have a game nine to nothing and you don't have to use the full squad to do it, and you're able to just kind of get some momentum and keep some guys going looking forward to f C Cincinnati and I really play.
Speaker 1: Sure are they allowed to wear slacks? And I think that's what they wear? Slacks?
Speaker 2: I have no idea. Well, if it's four degrees and they're running around in shorts, you frostbite a problem there? You could could they wear nice slacks? It'd be some plea. No, no, no slacks, definitely nothing. Please.
Speaker 7: What about trousers? I think you could use the term trousers soccer trousers. See the thing though, Yeah, the kids socker trouser kits, trainers. They wear trainers when they The n c double A is trying to crack down on the pant length and sock height of uniforms in college football.
Speaker 1: Why wouldn't because it's been a big issue, Yes, sure has.
Speaker 7: I mean, these dudes are wearing biker shorts and ankles and they look stupid, and the n CUBA has finally had enough of it, and they're like, all right, listen, you guys, we're gonna suspend you if you don't wear your socks above your knee all the way up to your pants. Which this is something the NFL has been doing for long. Also, that is the.
Speaker 1: Most Austin Elmore take. I've heard it's about.
Speaker 2: I'm a uniform.
Speaker 3: Uniform.
Speaker 2: Yes, finally, Axes out of the Bearcats had a chance. I watched the first half on a man, They're they're hanging around Texas. All right, we may get something here. Upset stun Kansas, they come back, I'm like, man, they may win this skin. They did not.
Speaker 7: The Bearcats have gone from unwatchable to intriguing because you don't know what you're going to get when they take the floor. They play the way they did to get Kansas, you feel like they can beat anybody in the country. You play the way they did against Eastern Michigan earlier this year, you don't like, all right, Texas Tech as well the first nine minutes, So uh yeah, you never know what you're gonna get. They do have that ability, obviously to win games, and if they do, and if they go into the Big twelve tournament and are able to win one or two games, I don't think it's crazy to think they can make the tournament.
Speaker 1: But that inconsistency is going to be a prop I'm gonna kill you right there.
Speaker 2: Austell More today at noon on ESPN fifteen thirty with his sidekick Tony Pike. Yes, if he shows up?
Speaker 3: Is he there?
Speaker 2: He's here?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: I thought he'd be an Annapolis. What do you guys got on the show today?
Speaker 3: There?
Speaker 7: Charlie Goldsmith has gone back and forth from Goodyear to Indianapolis and back to good Year. He's pumping out stories about the Reds and the Bengals will talk to him. Tommy g on his way to Minnesota for FC Cincinnati with trousers and a whole lot more. And also, Scott, I want to promote my podcast, what I have a podcast? We're out of time? Don't Lie podcast? What Bald Don't Lie? Available wherever you get your podcast?
Speaker 1: Did you say?
Speaker 7: Including on the iHeartRadio app helped me out two episodes this week, all about the NFL scouting combin.
Speaker 2: That doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 1: Bald don't lie. You never heard of Rashid Wallace. You never heard that term?
Speaker 3: Never.
Speaker 2: Bald don't lie. I know you're bald, but that doesn't translate right here. Bald don't lie, Bald don't lie. You know, bald no ball, That's what I said. Bald Ball's bald on b alll ball. Oh that's a great name for a podcast. Yeah, great, Okay, we got to go. It's bald stupid, but bond a live bald online. How you're starting to make sense of things? Seven hundred ww Do you want to be an American Idiot's flow me back on seven hundred ww?
Speaker 3: Aging?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's fair. Is aging optional?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 2: We all age, but you can slow it down a bit. The question is how, and the answer is science. Our healthcare system, our culture in general were pretty much focus on treating symptoms and not prevention, and that is a I think that's a big problem for us, but that's how we think, that's how we're programmed. He is doctor Michael Zias. He's an internist and regenitive medicine specialist. And there are three or four big things you need to know if you want to slow your aging down a little bit. Not as important, probably not fill it your twenties or thirties, but the time you hit that forty year old mark on your old odometer, you start thinking, man, things are getting sore, I'm getting tired fast and all that stuff as well. And the solution may be something you can do yourself. Doctor Z's welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: How are you? Good morning? Thank you so much, for having me Scott.
Speaker 1: Yeah, would you agree on that too.
Speaker 2: As we tend to treat symptoms and diagnosies and go, okay, well we have a medicine for this, but instead of instead of fixing what's ailing you, we just kind of prop things up and mask over the signs.
Speaker 3: That is totally true.
Speaker 9: We tend to accept getting older as something that we need to take for granted, and it's normal to get older. But if we treat aging as a disease, which is a new concept in medicine, we can age in a totally different way and prevent chronic age raated diseases from happening in the first place. And that's what I talk about in my books.
Speaker 1: Let's go through that too.
Speaker 2: And it's something I do a few of these things already, and I've said this is a year I'm going to get more much more serious about it. I think as I get closer and closer to the big six tozero, farther away from the big five oh and closer to the six to oh.
Speaker 1: And I do and it works for me.
Speaker 2: I do internet efe And also I'll probably last meal I'll have is I don't know, maybe anywhere between five and seven o'clock and won't eat until after twelve o'clock the next day. And for those of my god, how are you doing that? I think it's easier as you get older because your body needs less calories to function. So let's talk about intermittent fasting and why that is so good for you.
Speaker 9: All right, So, one of the whole marks of aging is we have young cells in our bodies and we have old cells in our bodies. And the old cells not only do not function our bodies, but they also discrupt the young cells. And that's one of the reasons why we get older. And by doing what you're doing intermittent fasting or not eating for a period of time, you're.
Speaker 3: Getting rid of the old cells.
Speaker 9: So the body is like screaming, is like what's happening is that person's starving, So the body starts to eat the dead cells, the cancer cells. And how intermittent fasting work in longevity. I'm not a fan of prolong fasting where you don't eat for several days, because you can lose muscle masks if you skip a meal or eating between just eight hour period. That's great as long as you're eating the balanced diet, which in protein and antioxins and vitamins. You get rid of the old cell desin essm cells and one way to prolonged life. And that has been proven to prolonged life in many animal studies, even monkeys, so probably will do the same in humans as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, autophogy is what it's called.
Speaker 2: So basically as I understood it, and the simple way to explain this is like your body is always looking for something to do. Your body is very, very busy, even though you may be sleeping or whatever, it's looking for stuff to do. And if it's not busy digesting food and try and figure out, you know, where to send all the things here. It does housekeeping. It basically cleans house and that is cleaning up all the old dead cells. Some of those could promote things like cancer and other illnesses.
Speaker 3: That is totally true.
Speaker 9: And you know in the Middle East the rates of cancer are eighty five percent lower than the United States and Europe. And that's because of the intermittent fast thing they do during the religious holiday of Ramadant. So even though they eat massive amounts of sugar in eight hour period, that period of its kind of intermittent fasting, it's promotes authology and it kills the sentis themselves. So that's something we can learn from different countries around the world. That that's what I share in the book.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you can eat one big meal a day, you can pretty much eat, you know, with a restriction. You can't go at an entire trail asagn you or you know, three large pizzas, but you can eat your food and be full and still being a calorie deficit.
Speaker 1: So it also helps to lose weight, right, you.
Speaker 9: Know, you're talking like Brian Johnson who's pretty much just eating on one meal a day. That's very tough, but that probably has the most impact on longevity. But I would say we have to enjoy life. I'm not a fan of just not eating for a long time. But what you're doing is totally good because just eating an eight hour period is doable, is manageable. You're not the proving yourself and you're probably going to get the same benefits.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now if you're busy too, if I'm doing you know, a construction type of stuf, might have a bigger lunch and a decent sized dinner. But if I'm not, and it just you know, you gotta listen to your body and not stuff yourself all the time. And that's easier said that done, because food is so damn good. So intermatnfastening one thing you could do to slow down aging. Let's talk about processed foods and anti inflammatories and stuff like that. And the thing is, as you get older, you notice your body is so much more inflamed. What is your body telling you if you suffer from inflammation.
Speaker 9: So what happens is the old selves we have in our bodies are also not just not functioning, but they also are secreting inflammatory proteins. And that's how aging happens. And before you know it, you get wrinkled skin, you can get joint issues, you can get stomach issues, you can get weight gain, and that's inflammation. And one way to control aging is control inflammation by again intermittent fasting, but by also eating a balanced diet, which an empty oxidant, viatamins, mineral superfoods. People have to lose weight because belly fat is linked to inflammation.
Speaker 3: When we have so much.
Speaker 9: Fat around our bealues, that's secrete also inflammatory markers which are very bad for ourselves.
Speaker 3: So you have to control inflammation if you want to age in a good way.
Speaker 2: One thing, my wife did this not long ago because she was having just not feeling well and she went someone recommended a I forget what the name of it is, but basically as a diet tissue who focuses on that, and did a whole bunch of tests and found out that she had a gluten sensitivity and so things like gluten also eggs, mushrooms, like weird stuff she could eat and she's taken those things out of her die largely and feels so much better.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 9: Food allergies, of course, if you have food allergies, that can also cause inflammation, so that's a good way to get tested. You can do a skin test, you can.
Speaker 3: Do a blood test.
Speaker 9: That's your doctor's office to make sure to avoid the topes of food that you're intolerant to. Gluten intolerance is very rare. It's only one in two hundred people who have it. But if you have gluten intolerance, if you have civic disease, definitely have to avoid grains because that can cause it inflammation and just being on top of the house. We have a habit in the United States and we get a physical just once a year, and we think we're going to in a different way and then we go on top of our health. But really we have to think differently. We have to treat aging activities. We have to take a proactive approach. We have to know our food allergies, we have to know if there's inflammation. We have to be in a good way. We have to control aging, buy supplements, medications and so on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and again, as sactor Michael is Easy's an internest regenitive medicine specialists in his books The AGEUS Revolution, and the question is how do you slow down age? Can't stop it obviously, but you can help yourself as you get older through things like intermittent fasting. We're talking about proving processed foods from your diet and can you not eat? You know, are you so strict that you shouldn't need any of this stuff? I mean, who doesn't like a good cheeseburger once in a while, or I mentioned a pizza or something like that. You have to sustain yourself completely on whole grains. Could you work in a cheap day or two?
Speaker 3: There?
Speaker 2: How's that work?
Speaker 9: The problem in the American diet fifty percent of our diet now is process and that's bad when we eat process food. We fine carbohydrate pizza, doughnut, sugar that promote aging, and we have to lower the amount of processed food we eat. I don't think we can eliminate it totally. I think if we go down to ten percent, maybe so having it, you know, a pizza once in a while, then cross whole weeks with a lot of vegetables.
Speaker 3: That's a good way.
Speaker 9: And if you're eating a balanced diet rich in antioxidens, vitamins and minerals, and you're exercising, you can probably counter effect the effect of process food that you're eating on occasions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Gut health is another one too that we don't pay attention to. Years ago, as in the hospital, got seediff and had to you know, eat a lot of yogurt and khir and things like that, and you kind of notice you feel a little bit better when you have those enzymes in your gut.
Speaker 9: Yes, So gut health is one of the whole marks of aging that I talk about in my book. And I talked in my book also about the countries that have the longest lifespan and the blue zones where many of them live to one hundred and many of those countries they eat a diet that is rich in probiotically eat fermented food. Even countries not like the Blue zones, like South Korea, they eat kinschi. The women in South Korea are going to be the first to lift the age ninety. And the reason got so important because in our gut list trillions of bacteria. We have more god bacteria than thousand our bodies. And those bacteria promote longevity by doing vitamin K two, which prevents heart attack. They make a product called eulessine which supplies the mitochondria. The mitochondria are the batteries ourselves. And if we have bad bacteria, then we have back to inflammation what we just talked about. And believe it or not, Scott, we have a big problem. We're eating a lot of processed foods. We're not eating fermented foods, We're not eating enough yogurt, and that's why got is very poor. And we have now an epidemic of colon cancer in men below age fifty. And again it has to do with inflammation. So colling cancer's number one cancer now in men below age fifty. It has to do with our poor gut health. How much does it has to do with genetics. You've mentioned people that live to one hundred in the super agers, but that seems more genetic than lifestyle.
Speaker 3: Wrong.
Speaker 9: According to the research I've done for the book, I believe seventy percent of our longevity is related to the things we do diet, stress management, addequate sleep, exercise, only thirty percent genetics play a role. And that's why we can control our genetic destiny by doing all the good things that we can control, or at least we try.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean genetics do go a long way. That's why you see people who you know, eat like crap for years and years they live into their eighties. But you know, you look around your average nursing home, you don't see many too many obese people at nursing homes.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I talked in my book that the longest person living in the world was a French woman and she smoked.
Speaker 3: So yeah, you're right.
Speaker 9: It's like really has to do with with luck. But I think we all have to try to do our very best, not only to eat a good a good diet, a balanced die think way from fat diet, low fat diet with access sugar, low cop is all the chemicals night tried. I'm right now the country is moving in the right direction by limiting all the chemicals in our processed food. So I'm glad that. But just that's one of the steps to control aging. There's many things to do to control aging again, express management, adequate sleep, supplementation, and medications. Now there are medications to control aging that the doctors are not aware of, and that's why I want to educate the public about that. We can, you know, age in a completely different way with all the advances.
Speaker 3: We have in medicine.
Speaker 1: One of the things I hear, I mean, there's you know omega threes and.
Speaker 3: You take that.
Speaker 1: I do take vitamin D. My vitamin D lovels are perfect.
Speaker 2: I take I take supplements.
Speaker 9: Okay, so fish oil is very important. Fish oil one grammar day can give you four years of longevity. That's amazing. And many of us are not taking fish oil or we know it's good for us, but we exact to take it. But if we're consistent, we can have an extra years of longevity just by taking fish oil.
Speaker 6: I heard.
Speaker 2: The big one too is vitamin D. We don't get a vitamin D. That's that when comes of cancers and things like that.
Speaker 9: Yes, absolutely, so believe in not Scott. Vitamin D is so important not only for longevity but also for presenttion of COVID. We had a very high rate of mortality in the United States from COVID. And if you take a look at I live in New York, if you take a look at Florida, they had less mortality from COVID than we did here in New York in the Northeast. Because vitamin D is mostly from the sun. So vitamin D not only plays a role in longevity, but it's also the immune system prevention of COVID and so on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so our.
Speaker 9: Mortaliti rate was ten time times in Japan and South Korea from COVID and that was really motivated what motivated me to write The Age's Revolution because right now aging is happening in young people. You don't have to be old to be you can be in America, you geld young and old in the same time because of the lifestyle choices we make.
Speaker 2: One of the big components of people hate hearing this is exercise, a little resistance training, you know, bands, free weight, stuff like that. But you know some of these are like wow, you need to work out for sixty minutes a day, seven days a week or five days a week or whatever, and especially as you get older, that's really really tough to do, and it's tough to do with your schedule. So how much is enough when it comes to exercise, i'llbeit just you go and walk on the dog or walk around the block or something like that.
Speaker 9: I think any type of exercise you do, regardless of the amount of time you do, is good for you. Aerobic and aerobic, but definitely high intensity interval training has the most impact on longevity.
Speaker 3: Believe it or not.
Speaker 9: It can add ten years to our lives. But that's a very tough type of exercise to do. So I also recommend balance, you know, walking, running, doing a little bit of streadmills, lifting weight as we get older, so don't lose muscle mass. And if you're in good health, then you could do hit.
Speaker 3: That's fine. Do it, that's good, that's great.
Speaker 2: To start to wear the joints down, and you got to segue into something else. That's all.
Speaker 1: If you doctor is easy.
Speaker 2: If you eat like crap, like in your forties, fifties, maybe your sixties as well, can you still reverse all this stuff or at least slow time.
Speaker 3: I do think so.
Speaker 9: I think the body has the ability to reset and to reboot. And the body, you know, so many people are overweight, so many people are diabetics. But if they follow a balanced diet of they exercise, they can reverse that. And there are supplements and medication that can help them. So wait, now, look at the GLP for example, GLP drugs and making everybody stand. Now, everybody's taking them, and they're reversing diabetes, they're reversing obesity, they're reversing inflammation. You can use muscle mass if you don't change your eating habits and you're eating, you know, a lot of crap instead of proteins and a good diet. But they have changed the way we control our weight.
Speaker 1: Where are you on testosterone supplements.
Speaker 9: I'm very big, big proponent of TRT as we get older, because the stostrun is declining all over the United States, especially in young people. Again, it has to do with stress, has to do with low vitamin D, has to do with don't enough eat seafood with zinc. And as the starstrum goes down, man, we start to feel tired, we start to get belly fat we start to get and the biggest problem with declining dystostroon is it shortens our life. And the problem is doctors don routinely checked with the stostrom and if they do check with the stostron, they don't do anything about it, or they may tell you they compare you to any eighty year old. They know your distostrum is normal and the fact this distostrum is very low because you want to always be compared to the younger person.
Speaker 3: You could be. I don't want to be compared to an older person, right.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, but yeah, and all these things kind of factor. And anyway, aging is certainly not optional. We're all aging, but you can slow it down and as you get older, of course time is more precious than anything. And if you can help yourself with a healthier, longer life, then by all means you got to make some lifestyle change. Is to justin pivot, but hell do it. Doctor Michael is Ease the Ageless Revolution. He's an internest and regenitive medicine specialist. And thanks again for joining the show this morning. Appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 2: You know, high age faster, I'll tell you high age when people let you down, when they absolutely crush your dreams and hopes and aspirations to their boots, like putting out a cigarette. And that's what Ali Martin did to me today at eleven thirty five. Ali Martin, who does the local loop, and that is, of course what to do, what to eat, what to see, what to drink, all everything happening. And since you know, get you fired up for the weekend. He goes, Hey, man, I got two days. I'm gonna I'm gonna try to live an entire life in one weekend. That's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna listen to and I'm gonna do all that. She blows me off today because she's got some a bourbon event going on at eleven thirty. Drinking bourbon on eleven thirty. That's what it's come down to. But I got a surprise, I got plans, I got stuff up. My slave for you. Comedian Paul mccurio from Colbert Show and hb I everywhere You've seen Paul million times. He's gonna be in town coming up. Chat with him next on the show. We'll get you in the right mood, We'll get you in the right frame of mind. He's a really funny dude. Good dude.
Speaker 1: He's next on the show seven hundred WOLTA.
Speaker 2: He's got flunk show on seven hundred WOLDO. Normally at this time Allie Martin joins and she caught kind of lights and I I'm got a berman in that I has a bourbon event at eleven thirty in the morning, gift freaking degenerate. But you know, I got back. I always have a backup plan. My buddy Paul mccurio is coming to town on well, next Saturday Friday, cent I should say, March sixth and seventh at Go Banana's Comedy and it is a great he does a great set. If you are in a comedy, just want a night outhere you're laughing, go see the show. He's about to get fired from his gig at with Colbert. He's a host of Tonight Show, HBO specials. He's on, he's everywhere, he's all he's like like Kevin Hart to a degree. Here he's gonna be at Go Bananz, I said on the six and seven. So next weekend, Paul mccurio from New York City, it's going on brother. How you been man? Good buddy, how are you doing good? I'm doing good. So yeah, I can see why you're playing Cincinnati. You're gonna be out of a job soon.
Speaker 3: Yes, thank you.
Speaker 2: I need you need the Why are you playing Cincinnati on a Saturday? I need the money?
Speaker 8: Can I just tell you something from everybody listening? Yeah, this interaction right now, everybody is white. Scott doesn't have any friends. Okay, this is how a friend supports a friend. I'm gonna be instance that I'm doing two things. It's gonna get warmer in March sixth seventh. I will be cutting lawns as well to make.
Speaker 3: Some extra money. Good, just to cover myself.
Speaker 2: Detell your car, walk your dog. Hey, you know what twenty bucks is? Twenty bucks? It's worked for Kevin Hard, hasn't it.
Speaker 3: Yes, he's a poor guy. He's just he's barely got two nickels to rugby.
Speaker 2: Poor guy. Like, who's the most over export exposed comic in the world?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 1: Is it Kevin Hart?
Speaker 6: Right now?
Speaker 2: You think is anyone else?
Speaker 6: Mormon?
Speaker 3: Might be, but it might be.
Speaker 8: But I think you know he's a good guy. Yeah, commercial the good Yeah, but you know he could throw a few. He could throw a few. Shekels my way.
Speaker 2: Yeah right right. But he's funny as hell too. I mean, you know the spots he does with Lebron Lebron is very underrated by the way, he should be doing stand up.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, listen, I got enough competition. Fuddy back off, Okay, you make them. It's difficult. Oh my mother, I got my mother to deal with. It's crazy.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: How is your mom?
Speaker 2: By the way, she's you know, she.
Speaker 8: Just turned ninety five, right, and we had to uh yeah, she will not go down. We try everything, you know, sour milk, your trip her. She bounce the back off like a little Italian weebel. No, you know, she's like you have everybody out there as a parent that's like, uh, she's just a handful. She started a business in nineteen sixty nine as a woman when people were telling her she should stay home and cook and clean. Very progressive. She we just made her retire and closed her business after sixty three years, and she's mad, like she doesn't want to be retired.
Speaker 3: She goes, what am I going to do? I go, well, Ma, you got some money, you could travel, you could go to the senior center. She goes, I'm not going to go there. Those people are.
Speaker 8: Old, Like you're old, Well, you're ninety six, what are you going to go skydiving with Saylor Swift?
Speaker 3: You're old and you can't.
Speaker 8: Like, no matter how comfortable these people get that from that generation, she grew up in a depression. She will not be got it drives great. She finds stuff in the garbage, like on Sunday night, she'll be driving and she'll see something in the garbage. She'll take it and she gesn't a guy named Mario who fixes this. So she found her hearing aid in the garbage. I'm not making this up and it just whistles. It's like, does that mean you take her for a walk. Within three minutes you have a pack of dogs following you, Okay. So it's like and she had this way of running her business. It was like from another planet, right, So she you know, you have a business, you have filing cabinet, you have paperwork. But no, no, no, she don't want to spend money on filing cabinets. So she has coolers, spyropoam coolers that she bought at Walmart, and then she writes on the outside what's in the cooler, and she puts her different paperwork and like ten different cools.
Speaker 3: When she gets audited, looks like she's going on a picnic. Okay, it's just.
Speaker 2: It's it's like I could just picture her office, Paul. It looks like and everyone's office is his way. When the like the FBI comes in to do a raid, it's always in disarray. Like if you watch any of those cops you ever noticed, like watching all those detective shows where somebody gets murdered, I get down rabbit holes and no one has like everyone who gets.
Speaker 1: Murdered or murders a clean house. It's always an how how do you know?
Speaker 8: Like literally, she'd have like catalogs backed up of different furniture, right, and she'd be like, oh, I think I know, she's like and then all of a sudden, like in the middle of a stack, there's a ham sandwich from five eight years ago.
Speaker 3: Right, But man, you hit it on the head.
Speaker 8: So this was our house growing up, right, because the focus of our lives was this score.
Speaker 3: So like you think of town, we're Italian besides spent a time. Now you think Italian. You think you know the super neat house, the plastic on the furniture. You know that whole lot of gold, A lot of gold, A lot of gold.
Speaker 2: A lot, a lot of lot of gold. I'm Italian, I get a lot of gold, A lot of gold, A lot of garland.
Speaker 3: Smells everything smells a garlic. There you go.
Speaker 8: So so our house was the opposite. It was literally like you just described, it was just like a CSI I see, like it was insane.
Speaker 2: And your mom's still going, I think that's fantastic, ninety six years old, salute.
Speaker 3: Oh come on, fosh awesome. Oh my god.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You go into a refrigerator, you want to get like some half and half to your car. What do I look to the right. The entire door is filled with batteries, batteries, and I'm like, mom, what are you doing?
Speaker 8: She goes, well, these new bet no, they're old batteries, and she's trying to recharge them by putting them in the refrigerator. She's like cryogenically freezing batteries until they come back to life like some mad scientists. Like we had to take her license away. You want to know why why she hit a tree with her car? You know where the tree was in her own front yard man, she hit a tree in her own front yard.
Speaker 2: Okay, the fact your mom's ninety six, for guys, don't know how, because my people are Italian too, And you look at the food that we eat, you pizza, spaghetti, and a lot of cheese and oil and more cheese and the lunch meat alone. Right, more than Della, you got presida. You got all this fatty, high fat, color awful food that tells you you're gonna die if you eat this stuff. And yet she's ninety six, God bless her. I don't know how Italians because you know you're you're bringing back childhood memories here for me, how Italians live longer? Like I can't believe we make it till sixteen. It's like all the preservatives and I don't know what it.
Speaker 8: Is, the cheeses and the fats, and then the bread and here have some bread with your bread, and the pasta, and then have pasta with your Like, how do you like?
Speaker 3: My mother got a health kick for a little while, and she was like putting raisins and things like she was like she might put them in an apple pot, and like we just leave it. You don't listen to me.
Speaker 8: Here's the thing about raisins. You don't put raisins in an oat milk cookie. You don't him in a muffin. You know where you put them? You put them in the toilet. Okay, they're raising. Okay, think about it. What's a raisin? A raisin is just a grape that couldn't cut it as a grape. Okay, I mean right, I.
Speaker 3: Didn't like you as a pretty red grape.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna like you as a wrinkly brown raisin. Come on, they put them in that red box with that young girl on the outside. You look inside. It's an old age home for fruit.
Speaker 3: That's all it is. That's all it is.
Speaker 2: Oh that's good. I'm gonna steal that. That's really that's you can have. It's yeah, it's like, yeah, right, it's.
Speaker 3: And then the other thing.
Speaker 8: The other thing my mother would do was like we had no money, like we had money, but she pretended like we did. We were fine, Like we were you know, middle class, we had a business. We weren't we're super rich.
Speaker 3: We were fined.
Speaker 8: But she was always like nickel and diamond. Right, So Christmas, she or birthday, she would always like try to pass off something like cheap as something like high end.
Speaker 3: So like one time she gave me she.
Speaker 8: Could go by the way and like didn't even care about sizes, like she'd give you, she'd give you like a triple xcel. It's like dragging on the floor for a sweater because it was on sale t J.
Speaker 3: Mack.
Speaker 6: And so.
Speaker 3: So she gives me. She goes, look, I got you. I got you a Ralph Laurenden Pullu sweater.
Speaker 8: And I'm like, oh wow, this is like the ruff and I look closer in the you know, the little emblem instead of like a jock on a horse with like the mallet.
Speaker 3: It was a knockoff. Okay it was. It was an eight year old kid on a great thing with a broom.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's what the emblem.
Speaker 7: But it's about the value. It's it's, oh, that's awesome. That is that's awesome.
Speaker 3: It isn't don't tell me always like the thought that comes. No, I want good gifts. Okay, that's.
Speaker 1: Right, you got You're you're gonna be what.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm gonna.
Speaker 3: I'm yeah, I'm gonna.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna like I'm so why I'm my sister in law. Whenever my birthday is coming. I know what I'm getting from her, because she's so she she gives me every birthday and every Christmas.
Speaker 3: R she gives me. She gives me a two dollars lottery ticket. A two dollars lottery ticket.
Speaker 8: Okay, nothing, Scott says, I care about you less than a one in four hundred million chance of getting a gift. And then and then she I'm not making this up. She put it in a greeting card. And the greeting card was eight dollars. The card was four times the price of the gift.
Speaker 1: And people are firing.
Speaker 2: I've got people in my family they get the scratch offs, and it's I don't get the scratch offf thing to me. I don't get.
Speaker 1: It's just they're just messy losing tickets, you know what I mean.
Speaker 8: All you're doing is like, here's something you probably won't get a gift out of it, and if you do, I'm gonna sue you.
Speaker 3: For half of it. Like that's the gift.
Speaker 1: You're giving me a lawsuit.
Speaker 3: You're giving me a freaking lawsuit.
Speaker 1: Facts, absolute facts.
Speaker 2: That is fantastic. All right, you're in New York, you're doing Colbert. That's that's wrapping up. You screwed that up? Ye expect you got any specials come up?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're doing well.
Speaker 8: I've got this Broadway off Broadway show that I've been doing directed by Frank Oz called Permission to Speak, that we're taking out on tour. We were doing it in the city and so that's the and and then also going to bring it to h to a platform. Uh probably Apple TV. It's looking like but we or Netflix and it's been great, you know, and the city has been They got this thing now with the city though, it's just like bikes. Bloomberg was our mayor and he put bike lanes in everywhere. I don't know if you've got that in Cincinnati now. A lot of yeah, okay, well, you know what. Here's the thing about people on a bike. Okay, you know what, I don't like you. I don't like you, and I'm never.
Speaker 2: Gonna like you.
Speaker 3: And here's why.
Speaker 8: Because bikers are obnoxious. They want it both ways. They want to violate every traffic log. Go the wrong direction, go through on a street, go through an intersection. Okay, but god forbid, if you're walking or you're driving and you make one little mistake, they scream at you. Okay, I don't like you want to buy and guys who ride bike, here's a little tick for you. Stop wearing those sausage casing shorts that are so tight. Okay that the baddest spilling over. You're not lays armstrong. Just wear loose shorts. Wear loose shorts. You're a middle Asian surance salesman who lives in the suburbs.
Speaker 3: That's what you are. You're not gonna be anymore.
Speaker 2: We have the problem with people, no one hundred percent about like when they want to be a bicycle, it's done. It's bicycle rules. But then sometimes like I'm gonna be a car and go through the you know, turn right on red or whatever and cut out in the middle of driving down the lee. One hundred percent is like either your bike or your car. Pick one, yes, right, stay little, stay and stay in you know.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: Paul mccurio is coming to town on March sixth and seventh at Go Bananas Comedy Club, Go Bananas Coomedy dot com. I want to say no, it's Go Banana, Go Bananas Comedy dot Hella. What's the website?
Speaker 3: You're getting the right? Okay, this is how you host the show.
Speaker 2: Really, you know, No, there's no one listening, and your like, I don't even know if I'm an It's really weird. I mean you Here's the thing about stand up right and having some experience doing it, is you get instant feedback. Right, you say something that's funny or like make people gasp, and you get this right. I sit in a room Paul by myself for three hours and I talk. I have no idea if they even pay the electric bill, like if this is going out on the stream or on the top, whatever it is. I mean, I do this, I don't. I don't know. Maybe I get a phone call once in a while to de validate myself, but generally I just sit here in a boxer. It's the stupidest job for growing mad, I mean, a complete dumb ass for like thirty years.
Speaker 1: No, but you're great at it.
Speaker 3: Com on, you know, listen, I know we you know, we all feel bad for you.
Speaker 2: So that's what you guys like, Well, you know you got your last guest bounce.
Speaker 1: I'll get mercuria. Okay, he'll do anything, You'll do.
Speaker 3: Anything anything, but you know, you know, I mean, the comedy is fine.
Speaker 8: And then you know from from doing standing up like some stuff right, and it takes forever, and then stuff stuff, some stuff just comes to you and you get lucky. Like I was thinking like the other day, I don't know, like I needed to use some bacoline and I'm like, and then it hit me, like, how do people make vacline make any money?
Speaker 3: I've had the same tub of vasoline for like thirty right, think of people listening right now, think about it, Like my bacoline was handed down to me by my grandfather in a will.
Speaker 4: You've never heard this.
Speaker 3: Phrase uttered ever in the history of mankind. Honey, I'm going out to get more vasoline.
Speaker 8: You you could go through thirty thousand bags of garbage.
Speaker 3: You're not going to find one empty contador a vassiline.
Speaker 8: You're not.
Speaker 1: It doesn't spoil it.
Speaker 3: I greased my brakes with vasoline. I still have eighty percent containers, which packs.
Speaker 2: The question, how are they still in business? They don't sell anything new exactly right, it's still go. I'm sure there's vascline, And does anyone ever shopped for vasoline?
Speaker 3: I don't think I ever have mine as a brown label on it.
Speaker 2: To go prinkly and have falling off. It's like that amber glass, like the apothecaries and have the drugs and the mister Goward mix it up in the back.
Speaker 3: It's like, mister, what a great reference.
Speaker 2: All right, Paul I got you gotta I know you gotta get going, budd, I appreciate you. Man, have to see you mother. Six and seventh at Go Bananas, Go Bananas Comedy dot Com. Thanks again, brother be well, okay, take care, appreciate you. Butcurio kills. He's funny if you if you're looking for something to do, uh, six and seventh, go go text weekend, go check him out at Go Bananas. All right, So Willie's had the way coming up in just minutes. We got news, we got a weekend, we got fun. Go have it, go go enjoy it. Seven hundred WWDE, Cincinnati,