Speaker 1: Here we are. It's a fine Monday night, Sterling stepping in after a UC basketball bear Cat win ninety four sixty three over the Catamounts of Western Carolina. West Miller's a bear Casts with a win to start the regular season. Fifth third arena in here on seven hundred wl W Gary Jeff Walker, who's normally here at this time, going to join us later. He got the night off, but he's I want to talk about raised relationship issues if you've got time. So it's like, sure, we'll do that after eleven o'clock. We can fit you in. Of course. Also a good news for NKU fans. The Norse nearly doubled up. This is insane. I think it's the most they've ever scored in a game of hoops. One twenty six sixty nine winners over UC Claremont, and that was the truest arena. So the Cougars of Claremont U see going back there and not feeling good about their trip to Northern Kentucky. The marist Red Foxes were at Sintas taking on the Musketeers, Xavier handling them sixty six sixty two at Sintas. That's a win for the Bearcats, a win for the Musketeers, a win for the Norse and the Dayton Flyers all over Canisius's Golden Griffins you deer in earlier eighty eight forty eight, So those are all good, and then of course yesterday there was the devastating, heartbreaking I'm trying not to be as emotionally engaged as it's just debilitating Otherwise, the Bengals with a tough loss, and a really tough loss for a lot of us who grew up listening to seven hundred WLW who were Bengals fans. Bob Trumpy some would call him the godfather of sports talk radio. Announcement that he passed away over the weekend and apparently surrounded by family. We will talk to Lance McCallister just after ten o'clock about Bob, as well as George Vogel, former sports director at Channel five WLWT, going to join us about ten thirty five to talk about Bob Trumpy, huge shoes and voice behind the microphone, just a good guy. I'll let these guys tell the story because they knew him, they worked around him, aside from me just growing up listening and then once I came into this building, or at least the building in Mount Adams when we were there years ago. He had already moved on to be doing NFL stuff full time on TV and radio, but occasionally would pop in the building. And you know, it's one of these things that you grew up listening to this radio station, you end up working in the building or working on the air here at the Big One, and I was doing FM stuff. I'm not even sure. I had probably started to do some stuff here fill ins and otherwise on seven hundred WLW at that point, So Trumpy would be in the building on occasion, the way so many other people you see, like Johnny Bench, you know, you see anybody and everybody. Pete Rose randomly, you know, James Brown randomly. It's just sort of a crazy thing, especially growing up as a fan. Right In a couple of handful of times that we actually conversed, he was always very polite. I don't think he really knew who I was, because I was literally like a fly on the wall and the long haired FM music guy from upstairs at the time who would sort of like be bouncing around the building and sort of bumped into him and others. But he was always very polite, very friendly, and obviously fantastic to listen to. And I know Lance will have a lot to say about him, as will George Vogel. And my heart goes out to his Family's had just a brilliant life, a career and seemed to just be really everything you'd want to be as an individual and a family man and so forth. A little bit that I actually knew of him, So that'll be good coming up in just a little bit tomorrow's election day. Also, if you hadn't heard, they're expecting a whopping twenty five. In fact, maybe if they reached thirty percent of those eligible voters to actually go to the polling place is tomorrow, or to have already cast their ballot in early voting, if not mailing it in thirty percent would be like a massive turnout for this sort of in between election, even though it is for a lot of council seats in Cincinnati and a mayor's race as well, and a lot of stuff sort of on the ballot or randomly around the tri state, around the country for that matter, too. So we will talk on that just a little bit, you know. And I'm curious and I don't know, I'm just wondering because you talk to people and you listen to talk shows maybe, and you know on social media and so much is political, so much is all about it, all that, and you know how important the elections are, and you know the need for a better policing in Cincinnati, for instance, and what's gone on with the police chief and her on the sideline and then somebody else being brought you know, in, or at least bumped up in the organization to sort of handle things while the so called independent investigation is taking place, and the question of policing and the judiciary and how judges are handling things in the plan as far as you know, being tougher on crime or otherwise. So all of this is sort of you know, bubbling up is a part of what one would think would be something fairly serious to get people out to vote. We're can open up the phones, give you a chance to sound off five point three seven four nine, seven thousand, eight hundred, the big one, you can talk back the iHeartRadio app. I'm just curious because of how important it is and statistically and historically speaking along those lines, this election one would think would be important. It is certainly talked about as important to you know, the talk of crime and businesses in downtown Cincinnati and across the region just in general, so many things of concern that maybe there would be more people coming out of the roadwork to have their voices heard. But it seems to me that twenty five percent is probably about what they're expect. If they were to get an extra five percent to thirty percent of those that are eligible to vote to actually show up and let their voice be heard, it would be shocking to those who count the votes and those who study these things. I'm wondering, how engaged and concerned are you. I mean, there are some things as far as renewals of taxes, there's you know, some judge ship situations that all these type of things are out there, and my guest, as much as there's been talk about it, it is still shocking and somewhat bewildering to me that so few people actually get out to vote and fairly important situation. So I'm just wondering, are you voting, Have you voted? How serious are you about it? How much do you care? I think there are some disenfranchised I've talked to people of a variety of age groups in the last week or so in and about the tri State up in the Miami Valley as well, and I talk to people, and people seem to be very soured and irritated and aggravated and dissatisfied in general with both parties and a lot of the individuals that are out there looking to try to either get rehired or to find themselves into new positions apparently to represent we the people, and to do the people's work, to make it safer, in a better environment for business, and all the other things that you would hope the government actually is going to be able to do or should be doing with your tax dollars and my tax dollars and Joe Waddell's tax dollars, who's producing, et cetera. To sort of go along with that, I mean, that's what one would think, But it does appear that perhaps as much people talk about it, that not a lot of people are. I think there's a dissatisfaction, and I think a disgruntled nature of a lot of talk and a lot of not being done that goes along with it. So we'll see exactly how how far it goes and what happens if there's a change in Cincinnati, if there's a change elsewhere around. We know that there were new lines drawn. As far as some call it jerrymandering, some people just call it redistricting. We know that it still does not fall in line with what the edict was from the Supreme Court, but apparently nobody pays attention to that. So going into twenty six, that's something that we will all have to live with and navigate one way or the other, whether it's fair representation or otherwise. We'll see exactly how it goes. This has been something that has been talked about for years and they've never gone beyond that. So we'll see exactly I guess what growth what goes along with that overall. So before we take the first break, five one, three, seven, four, nine, eight hundred, the Big One, talk back the iHeartRadio app. I'm just wondering, are you going to vote? Have you voted? How concerned are you about it? One way or the other. Whether you're in Cincinnati or Dayton or Covington, Newport, doesn't matter, Hyde Park, you name it. It's an interesting thing where there's so much attention and you read the headlines. I've heard more in some fashion about a mayor's race in New York than I have about the mayor's race in Cincinnati. And to be honest with you, what happens in Cincinnati I think is going to affect people in the Tri State more than what happens in New York. But that obviously is what is a sexy headline and all the stuff that goes along with it. So we'll see exactly how that plays out overall. I mean, it's a serious thing. And for those who don't know, and this is a fairly common thing. And I had this conversation with a neighbor of mine. They were like, they weren't sure if they were going to be able to vote. They didn't know if they had what they needed because they were afraid of being tighter when it comes to getting a chance to show up at the polls and do it. You can use your driver's license, You can use the State of Ohio ID. You can use an inuum I D if you have an interum ID from the Bureau of Motor Vehicles in Ohio. Anyway, if you have a passport, a passport of work, if you have a passport card or a US Military card, National Guard card for the for Ohio or a Veteran's Affairs ID card from the Department of Veteran Affairs. All photo IDs have to have an expiration date that is not expired. In other words, it has to be current. You have to have a photograph on that ID of the person doing the voting, so they know what you and not somebody else trying to hoist your voice. And the voter's name has to be apparently close as it possibly can be too entirely accurate looking at the voter role compared to what is on your ID, in other words, what's in the voting book. And if you're like me, they look at my signature and goes, we don't even believe that you have hands. It's almost like just a thumb print basically, So that's how they identify me generally speaking. So that's one of my neighbor was very concerned, like what about my cableville, I don't think you can use the cable bill and ongoing and the conversation and the argument that has been had over and over again is you know, oh, we need a better security around our polls and knowing that we know who's voting. Well, that's how that works, and I don't think it's too much to ask to have somebody have an ID with their picture on it or otherwise. And hopefully there's been also a lot of talk, but I've really seen nothing more about it. I see all this stuff, this sort of pops into social media, pops in unsolicited to my email accounts, talking about be careful with the polls and danger at the polls. I have never, not once ever, other than the people out in front that have their little placards that are trying to tell me to vote one way or another way, or for a candidate within the certain minimal amount of feet distance, they're supposed to release you so you can freely walk into that elementary school or wherever it is that you're going to vote without them being annoying and up on you. I mean, I don't when I'm in Vegas, and I used to live there for a little while, and I wouldn't spend a whole lot of time on the strip, but you have friends visit, and you'd walk along the strip, and you have all those people out in front with their little hooker like or a companion. Let's just call it escort trading cards, you know, they've flip the card at you or whatever. I don't need that type of interaction when I'm trying to walk to go get a drink or buy of food. I certainly don't need anybody up in my grill and in my face trying to intimidate or convince me that I need to vote one way or the other as I'm walking into a polling place. I've never understood that. But I do have one request beyond the ideas that you know, vote, let your voice be heard. However you're going to vote, you should do it. But I have an idea that's the thing. I mean, if you don't know what you're doing by the time you get there, I think there's a problem. And whether you go to the Hamilton County Board of Elections website, or Montgomery County or Boone County, or you know, whatever it is, wherever you happen to be, you can usually get a sample ballot so you can see exactly what's on the ballots, so you know exactly what you're voting for. You could fill it out beforehand on paper in front of you so you can go in and make it an EASYPAS process. And my guess is with twenty five to thirty percent maximum hitting the polls in total tomorrow, not voting tomorrow, but voting for the entire election. Probably not going to be a whole lot of big, serious problems with lines or anything else along that, So we'll see exactly how it plays out. Your chance to get interactive straight away. Lancedo mccalis are going to join us after ten o'clock. We'll talk the legendary Bob Trumpy, who we lost over the weekend, plus George Vocal Vocal, a former a sports director Channel five WLWT, and my man Gary Jeff Walker wants to talk relationships, so we'll see what type of dysfunction he wants to share with all of us. Coming up, It's a Monday night, Sterling on seven hundred WLW. What's going on, Sterling hanging out? A good night for basketball Bearcats as well as Musketeers and the Dayton Flyers and the Nkau norse A Bearcats ninety four sixty three of Western Carolina. The Catamounts going home after a bad night for them at fifth Third Arena. You heard Dan Hort Mowager with the call ninety four to sixty three bear Cats handled business West Miller's guys look on to the next one. Maris red Fox's visited Centas Center the campus Xavier University Musketeers sixty six sixty two winners. There. You see, Claremont took a trip to Northern Kentucky Truist Arena and the NKA Norse schooled them. It was a whole new level of education for those Cougar So you see Claremont one six to sixty nine, the Norse all over them, and the Golden Griffins of Kenisias made a trip to downtown Dayton ud Arena and the Flyers handled them easily eighty eight forty eight. So there's some scores in and around the region when it comes to some college hoops getting underway, and there'll be more of that obviously in the season ahead. So that's a pretty exciting tough one yesterday for the Bengals. I don't even know defense problems, I guess, I mean, I mean, I don't know how much more offense do you need? But it was tough, that's all I know. Speaking of Bengals, we lost one of the original football Bengals and Bob Trumpy over the weekend, eighty years old we'll talk to Lance mccowister and George Vogel about Bob Trumpy, about those Bengals, about what he has meant to the tri State and sports talk across the country and certainly ended up calling a bunch of games in the NFL. He was like their a team for NBC when they were carrying AFC games and so forth as well. So just a big loss, just a legend on this radio station, in history, just in general as a Bengal, pretty pretty spectacular. Maris not to be confused with those Maris players who leave Cincinnati after losing to Xavier. But Maris and Fairborne said, how dare I, especially the fact that she knows I went to Wright State not mentioning the Raiders handling business. They beat Franklin Franklin eighty six thirty seven, the Right State Raiders at the Nutter Center eighty six thirty seven over Franklin's Grizzlies. So the Raiders with their first win under their belt for the twenty twenty five twenty sixth season as they and they'll spend a little time in northern Kentucky. They'll face the Norse there, and of course up seventy one and seventy five in the Dayton area later on as they do their home and away thing for the Horizon League. So right State one, you see when Xavier wins, NKU wins, Dayton Flyers win, that's a whole lot of w's in the region. So there you go. There's that to look forward to as well. And Gary Jeff Walker's coming up a bit later. I had something happened to me on the way in here. I was running some errands in two different occasions, not at a crosswalk. In the news as of the last week or so before the time change, and then after the time change, I've seen this, and the time change, of course, just happened, you hear. I don't know. I'm trying to think at least six different stories I've come across in the last week to ten days of people who have been hit by cars. The vast majority apparently have been in crosswalks, some have not. And one of the things every year that you have to concern yourself with is it gets dark earlier. It's often dark in the morning, kids going too from school and so forth, and it's a real basic thing. When you're driving and you're behind the wheel, you keep an eye out for any danger, let alone pedestrian and certainly in a crosswalk. And we've seen a lot of these stories about hit and runs as well, which is bewildering. You know, is there somebody's affected, been distracted or indifferent, I guess is what it boils down to. But the other thing on the way in two different people in areas on the road where on Montgomery Road in an other spot it was in between lit roadway areas, so it was a little bit darker, and not in crosswalks where people in dark clothes were choosing to walk across four or five lanes of traffic technically with two and two and then a turn lane in the middle in front of moving vehicles, which is unsettling to the driver of a car unnerving is all hell and dangerous. That's how you end up being a statistic or a news story. And if I've learned nothing else, it's better to talk and make fun of the news than it is to be the news. Go to a crosswalk and just pay attention to where you're going, you know, between distracted in drunken and just you know, affected drivers and then people not paying attention distracted while walking and not thinking about how vulnerable they are from the vehicles that are at least a ton to two tons sometimes more moving at thirty forty fifty sixty miles an hour. You might go to a crosswalk, you might want to look both ways. I'm just saying it's ridiculous, and we're all in this together. So you don't want to hit anybody, I would hope, and you don't want to be hit. Act accordingly your ten o'clock report straight away. More Sterling coming back, Gary Jeff Walker joins me after eleven, George Vogel at ten thirty five, and our man Lance McCallister, host of Sports Talk, talks about effectively the original, the godfather of sports talk and a former Bengal in his passing, Bob Trumpy coming up with Sterling seven hundred WLW Cincinnati. Hey, how you doing. It's a Monday night. Sterling A good one in if you're of basketball. Bear Can Fan ninety eighty four sixty three over Western Carolina to start off at twenty twenty five, twenty six campaign bear Cats over to Canamounts, Xavier beat the Red Foxes of Maris at Sentas Nku Norse all over U C Claremont one twenty six sixty nine and Canisius as Golden Griffins went into ud Arena downtown Dayton and the flyer sent them home not so happy. The Griffins lose eighty eight forty eight and to the right state Raiders handled business also at the Nutter Center took care of business over Franklin's Grizzlies eighty six thirty seven. A whole lot of winning. A guy who knows from winning, and our sports talk host here at seven hundred wl W, Lance McAllister, kind enough to give us some time. The man who led the way for Lance and to Andy Furman and Paul Doherty, I think was here for about eight and a half minutes. There have been others who have done it, but Lance is the man right now, one of those on the mount Rushmore broadcasters, and we lost. I won't even use the term loosely say friend. In passing, I got to say hello and meet Bob Trumpy, but grew up listening to the guy and certainly the legend of him as being an original Bengal. Lance McAllister, I appreciate you making time on a busy Monday at seven hundred WLW how are you and what was your relationship like with Bob Trumpy, because I'm sure that you have crossed paths over the years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Sterling, good to join you. It traces back to you. As a twelve year old, I was calling Bob Trumpy and sports talk as a kid. I'd call him once a week and we'd go round and round on things. I will never forget two phone calls to Bob Trumpey when I was growing up. One I got into an argument with him about Buddy Bell versus Wayne cren Chikey. The Reds had traded for Buddy Bell and gave him the third base job over Wayne crane Chickey and Wayne Crenchickey was having a career year and Buddy Bell struggled in his first couple of months with the Reds. And I called Trumpy one night and I guess I'm probably thirteen fourteen years old at this time and going round and around and why are they playing Buddy Bell? It should be Wayne cren Hicky's job. He should have never lost it. We went round and round and around and he eventually hung up on me.
Speaker 1: Was awesome.
Speaker 2: There was a time we were on family vacation in Cape Cod and I called him from Cape Cod and I'll never forget asking why are you calling me from Cape Cod? And I was like, I'm on vacation. I wanted to talk Reds tonight. So that goes back, you know, if I'm twelve at that time, that goes back some forty I mean, think about that, forty seven years.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's amazing. And I don't know for you, it had to be the same way, because I mean I never had the stones to call him, but I would listen in the same way, listening to you and listen to Firm and et cetera, all the others. But it's an odd thing when you walk into the building and these are giants that you know, you grow up listening to in their opinions. You got to sort of shake the tree and engage him. But when you cross that line, you also become the same. You're doing the same work. You may not have played as a Bengal, you may not have gone on to do TV for NBC in the NFL, but you're also also doing sports talk. What is that like in your relationship with him and understanding where he was coming from and what he was doing to what you're doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, and Sterling to advance the story from the fourteen year old twelve thirteen. Fourteen year old is calling him later on. I did the Friday Bengals pep Rally show with him on ESPN fifteen thirty. I did the Roundtable Show for a year with Bob Trumpy, the one I now do with Rocky. I did that with Trumpy for a year on Thursday Night. So I mean, you're talking about that adjustment period of I mean, to me, I have no qualm saying I idolized Bob Trumpy. I mean, he was the godfather of sports talk. He's the reason sports talk was created in this town. And I've never heard somebody I don't think I ever will who had such a commanding presence on the radio, the voice and just the gravitas of he just commanded you listen. When you tuned it in and you heard it, it was captivating, you wanted to keep listening, whether you agreed or disagreed.
Speaker 1: He just made you listen.
Speaker 2: And I was joking today with Dave Lapham, and I've been asked so many stories about Trumpey, and I said, the beauty of Trump he was there was his opinion, and then there was your opinion, which was wrong.
Speaker 1: That's right, It's just the way it was.
Speaker 3: He was always right.
Speaker 2: He held firm to his beliefs and his convictions, and there was no changing his mind. And he just dug in and he was stubborn, and we went round and round at times. We wanted to strangle each other at times. But man, looking back on those shows, I mean sitting at a then a Buffalo Wild Wings on a Friday afternoon doing a three hour Bengals pep rally with Bob Trumpy, I'm like, who would have thought, I mean, this is actually happening. I'm doing shows with the godfather of sports dog.
Speaker 1: That's a pretty amazing thing. Talking to Lance McCallister, if he hadn't already figured it out, to the sports talk host talking about the late great Bob Trump, He's godfather of sports talk of a word of his passing over the weekend, His career was amazing. I was too little and not even here when the Bengals started, and then you know, he spent a dec day as a Bengal and then he did sports talk and then he went on in the midst of all that ended up doing you know, football games for NBC called multiple Super Bowls, did Olympic games as well as golf like Ryder Cup stuff, and you do have done a variety of things. But what an amazing story of him coming out of Utah as a ute to Cincinnati as a Bengal to walk through the halls of seven hundred WLW and then advance to that other level as well to do so many other things. That's a spectacular credit to him, his capabilities in the ability just to convey a story and paint a picture because he did it on radio and TV.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the the versatility, I mean, the number of different sports he did for NBC. He wasn't just your stereotypical job who was just going to do a football game. I mean they gave him plumb assignments as you mentioned, the Olympics and Ryder Cup and other things.
Speaker 3: And it's what you know.
Speaker 2: I always marveled and in that era of Bob Trumpy on NBC, it was Bob Costas in the studio and I always looked at those two from their versatility and said, I want to do what they do? How do they do so many different things? Well, yes, they weren't one trick ponies. It was the ability to do so many different things that I always marveled about, and and Sterling, I was always amazed by the fact. And I'll have a little bit of this out of order or maybe out of place, but you know, he told me when he first he first heard Bill Russell doing sports talk radio out in San Francisco, the former Celtic legend was doing a sports talk radio show, and Trump he heard him and thought, well, I could do that. What if I did it here? And when he first presented it, it was rejected here like, now we're we're not going to do a sports talk show every night. And Trump went out and then sold it and found people who would buy time on it. It initially started on what was w wcky, still w cky, and then on to seven hundred WLW. But it was he was like the pioneer from that standpoint. All Right, you don't think it could be done, I'll show you it can be done. And it's been done ever since.
Speaker 1: It's a pretty amazing thing. When you would talk to him off the air. I'm kind of curious because I would only pass in the hallway when we were in Mount Adams and you know at that point, I'm you know, an FM music I I've got my long hair. I maybe had done a talk show here at that point, maybe not even yet initially. And he was always very polite, very friendly, but he was always headed to the studio or in and out to do something client related, whatever, just popping in and people would gravitate towards him. And I was always, I want to say intimidated, but probably a little intimidated, and I didn't want to be annoying, but interacting with him and socializing with him and becoming someone who's working directly with him. What was that like? You touched on it a little bit, but it's an amazing thing to see someone who's that comfortable, that confident, that sperience to sort of do it just so well.
Speaker 2: And he would he would constantly ride me as someone who and this was part of his bit of someone who never played the game. And we would get into conversations topics for the show or off air, and it would always come back to whatever. When I really push his buttons to the point where he just lose all patients, he just look at me and I keep describing this story. He would peer over those glasses on his nose and through the smoke of his chain smoking, because boy did he smoke back then.
Speaker 1: And he would look at him.
Speaker 2: And just say, with that deep voice, you have clearly never played the game. It would just I get the biggest kick out of that because that was his go to line. And you know, I would always try to punch his button by saying something like especially on a daylight today, where I would I would be on with him. I would say, you know, the Bengals need to make a statement. They need to move on from saying they need to fire somebody, they need to make a trade, they need to make a statement. And trump you with that big booming voice just laugh and say statements. You and your statements. You always want to make statements. And that just got him so worked up. But I love doing that. That's tremendous, it really is.
Speaker 1: Lance. I appreciate you making time, and I know that you're up early, you do stuff all day. You got Bengal stuff on a Monday and everything. So I appreciate you sharing that. And it's got to be hard when you come across. I mean, I've lost people close, some that I've worked with and so forth, and it's happening more regularly for those people that were a generation maybe ahead of us, or maybe a little more than that. So it's sometimes difficult to talk about them. So I appreciate you, you being willing to do it. You didn't have to do it. Anything else that I have not asked that you think is relevant talking Bob Trumpy or even for instance, about these Bengals and what you think that conversation with him would be like with the Bengal today.
Speaker 2: Well, I would the thing I think is important to And I've told this story a lot, and I will always tell this story because I think it defines our relationship with it that I had with Trumpy, and he could be rough and gruff and that big, deep voice and all that, and yet I will always maintain the defining moment of our relationship came about twenty two years ago when our son Casey was diagnosed with leukemia and Bob Trumpy was the first person that called me and he offered me whatever we needed. He said, however, I can help and said if you need a bone marrow donor I want to be your guy, and I will. I I get chills when I tell that story every time because and eventually we had a donor through the National Bone Marrow Donor Program. But for all of our battles and a relationship ship that went back to when I was, you know, twelve, thirteen fourteen, calling him to an adult and a father and somebody who done shows with him, that was that will always be Bob Trumpy to me. He's one of a kind because of what he did as a pioneer in the industry. But he's one of a kind to me because he was the first person that called us and was willing to offer all of that to help our family and help our son.
Speaker 1: A great human being is what it boils down to. Yeah, and that's the most important thing there is. So yeah, that's pretty tremendous. I feel that too, Lance, Thank you. I appreciate it, and I hope all is well with the family. Mcouister. I know it's late, and I just figured, of all the people I figure to reach out to you, I got George Vogel coming up because I know he had sort of crossed paths with him over the years as well. So I appreciate you making time.
Speaker 2: Happy to do it. He was, he was one of a kind. There will never be anybody ever again like Bob Trumpy, No way, no how.
Speaker 1: Most definitely the godfather Sports Talk here at seven hundred wl W the late great Bob Trumpy, Lance McCallister, thank you, and you're no slouch yourself, by the way, Thank you, Sterling. Yes, sir, I'll talk to you soon. He'll be on tomorrow night after Eddie and Roncky as always, quick break, we'll come back. You got something to say about Bob Trumpy, We'll talk to you. We got George Vogel also coming, former a WLWT Channel five sports director and a Greater Cincinnati Journalism Hall of Fame member. I'm not in any hall of fames Vogel is McAllister will be, and Trumpy has been. I don't know where I'm gonna go.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 1: Also Gary Jeff Walker a bit later too. He's normally on at this time. I don't know why he took the night off, and then he likes texting me earlier. He's like, if you got something i'd love to be on, I'd love to be on. So I don't know if he's having like I took the night off for remorse or what, but he wants to talk some relationship issues, he says, So that's coming up after eleven o'clock A good way to go between now and midnight when we start to rolling atn so hang out at Sterling on seven hundred WLW Glad you're a long fine Monday Night, seven hundred WLW Sterling hanging out nine first one forecast on the Big one thirty four tonight, middle sixties for election day tomorrow. Go vote if you haven't already close to seventy on Wednesday, then sixty again on Thursday. It's a bomby forty seven. Now your severe weather station seven hundred WLW Gary. Jeff Walker is gonna join me. He's normally here now, but he's unavailable, but it says he's still awake in what's to talk relationships. I don't know if that's his relationship with me, if that means at home, I don't know. If he's very concerned about people so well being. Apparently coming up after eleven o'clock, we'll get into his head about that. Monday night football going on right now, and it's the Cardinals twenty seven Cowboys ten in Arlington, not Dallas. They play in Arlington. Swayan Coff and what else. Oh, holy crap. You see Bearcats open up their twenty five twenty six season. You heard it here earlier, fifth third Arena, Mowagger Dan Horde with the call Bearcats ninety four Western Carolina's Canamount sixty three Xavier one. They beat Maris sixty six sixty two with centas a blowout. The Norse easily handled U C. Claremont. They're cougar is the truest arena one twenty six sixty nine. That's massive. Eighty eight forty eight Dayton Flyers got by Canisius's Griffins at U D Arena and Wright State Raiders eighty six over Franklin's Grizzlies eighty six thirty six at the Nutter Center. That had to make a horrible drive home for Franklin's Grizzlies, is my guess from Fairborn. All right. On the other side, we've already talked to Lance McAllister kind enough to give us some time after your ten thirty report. Lee Mawin has the news. We'll talk to George Vogel, former sports director WLWT Channel five. He's a greater Cincinnati Journalism Hall of Famer. You went in with the likes of Ken Brew and John Fay, Danny Jansen, Wayne Box, Miller, Popovich Popo. I like to call him aout John Popovic and who else, Betsy Ross and some others. I think I let somebody out Kevin Barnett as well, old KRC executive sports producer. We'll talk to George Vogel about the late great Bob Trumpy, godfather of sports talk radio. Lance joined us earlier with his take he worked with him, he grew up listening to him like I did. I still have said this before, and just you come into this building if you're somebody who is in and around the Tri State are now with the iHeartRadio app from basically anywhere, and you listen to so many people and you hear them, and you know you live with them everywhere you go there there I am too, I guess now at this point. But and then you run into them as I did with Trumpy, as I have so many others, and just sort of in awe of and then knowing his history as an original Cincinnati football Bengal and going on to do what he did just a really genuinely decent human being too. Away from that, George Vogel's take on the loss of Bob Trumpy and his experience with him, and a whole lot more, including conversation with Gary Jeff but Walker as well. After eleven o'clock So hang out news straight away more Sterling on a winning night for basically the Musketeers, the bear Cats, the Norse, the Flyers, the Raiders, and to others and right now Cardinals looking to add on taking on those Cowboys right about now on somebody night football time for New seven hundred wlw oh later on get your sleep, Get ready, get to voting Tomorrow Election Day, about twenty five percent of eligible voters expected to hit the polls. If it hits thirty percent, the earth may shake, it could spin off its axis. Who knows what might happen for mayor and council in Cincinnati and elsewhere. But you know, if you want to be heard, you gotta vote. That's just how it goes, sort of like this. If I want to be heard, I have to turn the microphone off that you can't hear me off. Like that's sort of like this. If you don't you're not heard. If you don't vote, it's how it goes. It's just like if it's hurt right in front of me like that, that's how that works. But I digress. Maybe you don't want to get in the sandbox and play, you know, it's up to you. Someone who knows about being in the big sandbox of life, someone who knows about bowling three hundred, someone who knows about the late great Bob Trumpy, the godfather of sports talking. For some reason, still takes my call on occasion. It's unbelievable. Former sports director WLWT Channel five. He's a Greater Cincinnati Journalism Hall of Fame member, which is crazy because I know him and he takes my call. It's unbelievable. So does Cam Brew. He came in the same class. So did Wayne box Miller, John Popovich, and Denny Jansen as well. George Vogel, how are you on this fine Monday night?
Speaker 3: Early?
Speaker 5: I'm great, and I don't think I owe you money, but I still take the call, So that's fine.
Speaker 3: You're a good man.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that because there are people whose calls I don't take myself because they may want money too. It's all.
Speaker 3: I think we're all in that boat.
Speaker 1: That's tremendous. Uh, you know, I I crossed paths with Bob Trumpy in their building when we were in Mount Adams. But I was just a kid coming up up and known he was a Bengal. I had seen him play a little bit as a Bengal. I'd grown up listening to the guy on the radio now known as the godfather of sports talk here at seven hundred WLW certainly hurting calling NFL games and doing Olympic stuff and everything else. But you bumped shoulders with it and ran around with Bob Trumpy at one time or another. We lost him over the weekend. My heart goes out to his family, But I thought i'd reach out to you to see what your take is on Bob Trumpy, his legacy, in what your relationship may have been like, if any.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Trump was a great guy to me, and I met him back in the early eighties when WLW was still downtown there on Fourth Street. Oh yeah, and he had started out at one of the other stations, I want to say, fifteen thirty, when he was still playing for the Bengals.
Speaker 3: And I remember Trump getting drafted. I remember him catching.
Speaker 5: A pass on a crazy play late in a game a rainy afternoon at Riverfront to win a game again the Dolphins, I believe, which was ironic that the Bengals beat the Dolphins in very wet conditions.
Speaker 3: The fish might might take to that a little better there. And then, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: And Trump was on I believe fifteen thirty and was still on the team, and I think he did it some in the off season. He did go to WLWT and do some weekend anchoring sometimes. And I didn't know him from that first time I met him early eighties WLW, and he was in there.
Speaker 3: I believe he was.
Speaker 5: I think Seg was there at the time as an intern or something. And that's when I met Seg. I met Trump. We were going down there to get some audio from an interview he had done, because back then, you know, that's only you had to go get stuff.
Speaker 1: You can try it through.
Speaker 5: The internet and audio file and all that stuff. I think I had to go down there and pick up one of those old carts if you remember.
Speaker 1: That, I do for those who don't know, that's what it was, basically, yeah.
Speaker 5: Exactly, yeah, And and he was always you know, he was good then and said hello, and met this you know, crazy intern from WLWT, and he's you know, always been good since he would come on our Bengals shows after he had retired. You know, I you know, loved the guy and loved what he did. And he was one of the first people to call out the Bengals and say there was going to be big time problems when things switched hands down there with family members, and you know it, he was pretty much proven right on that. At the time, I thought, oh man, this guy's grumpy and has an axe to grind and and I'll be darned he called that shot.
Speaker 3: But yeah, he was something else.
Speaker 5: And then goes on you know after sports talk, which he kind of you know, made sports talk what it was in this town. And WLW did a sports talk show before him, but you know, Phil samp was on there, I think Andy Mack sometimes. And then Trump made such an impact at fifteen thirty and then they brought him over and you know, the rest is history.
Speaker 1: It's an amazing thing. And you've done a lot of different things for those on the outside looking in, how difficult is it for someone because it may not have been seamless, but from the outside looking in, it seemed like from him going from a player for the Bengals, to being on the radio even at the same time, which was wild, then doing sports talk for the better part of a decade, then going off and in the midst of that was still doing some NBC stuff, then doing TV and radio for them, and Olympics and Ryder Cup and NFL stuff and seemingly comfortable and did it well. How hard is it for someone to be able to do those different types of things and make it seem effortless, because it did seem like it just was who he was.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Well, Trump very intelligent guy. He was an intelligent guy. You know, he could size up a situation in a hurry if you asked me.
Speaker 3: You know, he may mistakes like.
Speaker 5: We all do, but man to juggle all those things that you just mentioned and.
Speaker 3: Do it so well.
Speaker 5: I mean he went when he goes you know, he's doing football games and doing the other stuff, and then goes to PGA golf. Oh yeah, and I'm like, how's this going to work?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: It worked out well. And he loved that gig. He loved that gig, and it worked out very very well. And then as you said, he does some Olympics stuff, and boy, he had a heck of a career. I mean you forget half of what he did.
Speaker 3: Because he did so much and so many different things.
Speaker 1: It really is. Talking to George Vogel, former sports director WLWT, also Hall of Famer and greater Cincinnati journalism Hall, was stirling on the being one talking about Bob Trump. He got Fathers Sports Talk and we lost over the weekend, and I should clarify he passed away. When I say lost, I'm not trying to joke around, but I've had people reach out where they have been messing with me. What do you mean we lost him? He died? Okay, fair enough. I just want to claric right. And it's a hard thing, and I don't know because I'm not experienced it. It has to be an odd thing for family members and very close friends. On one hand, hearing about the one that you love who's no longer with you, to be talked about so glowingly and lovingly by so many as a fan, as a co worker, as a friend. But on the other side, it's got to be odd to have that same level of sharing publicly, just something that for most of us is a very very private kind of thing. As you tried it to go through this process of grieving and everything else. I don't know if there's much of a question there, but just think.
Speaker 5: No, but there's you know, everyone feels for the family and you just everything you have goes out to them as they deal with this. And you know, he was I'll tell you trump he ruffled some feathers. But that was the thing about him. He would he would tell it like he saw it. And he wasn't sugarcoating. He was I think I heard someone say today, very direct. That's a great way to it. He was very direct. There wasn't you know, great area. You knew what he thought, where he stood, and uh boy, oh boy.
Speaker 3: I mean I just actually before I met.
Speaker 5: Him, I when I was in college, I actually called him a couple of times on the show, bantering back and forth with yeah it was it was a lot of fun and uh uh he he. I don't think he ever really hung up on me, but he did probably cut me off a couple of times.
Speaker 3: But he should have, because you know, I tend to blow the eight.
Speaker 1: Who doesn't sometimes they hire you when I think that's how I ended up here too. I think he did hang up on Lance. Lance said he did hung up on him. So that's great.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the problem was he and Lance were doing the show together, right.
Speaker 1: Hard to get rid of the co host, right, It's difficult when you're sitting across from him on a table. It's a challenge that it really is, exactly. It's an odd thing because you were coming up and like you said, he took your calls and you were around as an intern, and then you see him in that type of situation. It's wild to see someone grow and develop. I mean, here's a guy that as a football player and is enough that most of us here you said, wow, you know, a decade as a Bengal forty six hundred yards I think, thirty five touchdowns receiving averaged over fourteen yards of reception, one of the biggest in the game when it comes to being a tight end. Going to the Pro Bowl a number of times, like four times, I think, is what I'm looking at here on this list all Pro Team sixty nine as well. And then to make the transition, a lot of guys try to make the transition to broadcasting to media to TV. Now there's podcasting and everything else. And you've encountered a lot of these guys as they move through that. It's not an easy thing for someone to be able to go through it. And you got to have people around you to sort of help you when you see someone who sort of comes from that background, who makes it through like that, To be opinionated, to have voice, to get what this is because it's not always I mean, this is a show. And to be able to understand as you just just you know, mentioned as he may shut you down and shut you up as he was trying to get his point across, because it was entertainment. That's it. That's it, that's it. There's something very special about that entertainment element.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's that's something that you know, not everyone can do. And and that whole Carrie.
Speaker 5: As you know, carrying a three hour show talking and talking to people and all that and keeping it entertaining and and loose and light and something people want to listen to unless you know, the occasion calls for it. But uh, I don't know.
Speaker 3: There's something about Cincinnati too, Like Trump.
Speaker 5: Was the first former Bengal to do all that stuff and get into broadcasting. But then you start thinking of these other guys and you know, Chris collins Worth, Boomer, you know, Solomon Wilcott, Anthony Munhoz, you go, now, Whitworth and Fitzpatrick on the on the prime video thing.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's there's a whole list of it. It's crazy.
Speaker 1: What do you think that I don't know what it is?
Speaker 5: I don't know I quite honestly, as we're sitting here talking and I've thought about it before, but never really in depth, and then it just popped in my head and it's like, yeah, he was.
Speaker 3: The first of those guys. But for some.
Speaker 5: Reason with Bengals and Cincinnati media, there's and and all those guys I mentioned work their tailoff on this stuff, and that that that's one part of it, because as you know, some people might not work hard at it and they're probably not going to make it because you kind of have to really work your tail off in this. All those guys did, and you can still work your tail off and not make it.
Speaker 3: You know, we all have. I mean I could name.
Speaker 5: Hundreds of people that have done it just you know, sometimes it's right place, right time, just right personality that hits. But for some reason, those guys all were able to do it as former Bengals. But I do think, you know, the work factor is first and four for almost in.
Speaker 1: That absolutely and whatever that intangible is aside from the work ethic is certainly a part of it is maybe something in the water, and it's pretty amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it really is. It could be NF.
Speaker 5: Well, I don't want to make jokes and kick the Bengals leather down, but maybe it's like, well, they don't pay squat and I got to find something to make money because I'm not making.
Speaker 3: It here, I got to grind.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, in a couple of decades ago, that's really what it was. I mean, there were guys who had to get jobs in the off season, back in the early part of the game.
Speaker 5: It's amazing you look at some of those guys, you know, like Anthony who was the best of all time, and some kid who hasn't played it down is getting a contract bigger than you know, his whole career earnings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, insane, it really is.
Speaker 3: And that's where we're at. I mean, they are, let's face that the NFL is generating money.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you can hear it being printed right now. Even on a Monday night with the Cardinals twenty seven to seventeen over the Cowboys, as we speak talking to George former sports director Channel five WLWT, and Hall of Famer and greater Cincinnati journalism, all talking about the late great Bob Trumpy. What have I not asked about Trumpy and the endeavors that we know of aside from him as a human being away from that which we've heard good things and about him in that regard, Because as much as I'd like to be able to say I knew, the guy was literally just a nod, a quick handshake and moving through as I was honestly a little bit in awe and slightly intimidated just because I had just come into the building. Was like, oh, and I didn't want to be in the way because I just didn't want to, you know what I mean. I didn't want to be a problem, which is challenging for me on a good day.
Speaker 5: You know, he came to us, and this has been a while back when we did one of our Bengals shows and we had a lot of the you know, ex players and a lot of the older players come in and talk about different earrows and things like that with the Bengals, and he came in and it was funny talking to him about all that stuff.
Speaker 3: This.
Speaker 5: He really really appreciated everything that happened along his journey with with media and and you know, the call and the golf and the Olympics and just all those different things. And and you I was talking to him about it. It's like, man, he's telling me this stuff and I'm asking, and it's like he really appreciated. He loved it. He loved it. You know, he knew when it was time to hang it up and move on. But uh, but he really appreciated everything he was able to do because of that.
Speaker 1: And it's, you know, the thing he was good at it, he enjoyed it. He appreciated it too. I Mean, these are all the things I think that probably people who are in that situation that's maybe that special thing that they have in that that way too, because.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, and when when you're in the middle of it, you don't really stop and think about it or all.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: It's like, since I retired, I'll sit here and think, oh, wow, yeah I went there, I was at that field, or I was here for that, and it's like, damn, you know, I was pretty lucky.
Speaker 3: Yeah I looked at it that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I've watched you. It's the same type of thing. I was like, hey, and then I get like across pass with you and talk like I said, I mean, i'd say it lightheartedly. When you know you actually take a call. I mean, I don't know. I wouldn't call them call Okay, you know what I mean. Though you have lived these things, you've done these things, You've been these places also, and when you're in it, it is difficult to really appreciate it because you're working in your Yeah, you know exactly.
Speaker 5: You're you're you're you're complaining about something because there's a deadline coming up, and there's a piece of equipment not working, or someone not answering the phone, or you got writer's block.
Speaker 3: You know, you're complaining.
Speaker 5: But at the same time you've got to appreciate and and that's hard to do. But certainly once you're out.
Speaker 3: Of it, it's it's easy to do.
Speaker 5: You look back, and you know, I remember my mistakes, but I don't remember anybody else's. I just remember having a good time and all the great places we went.
Speaker 1: And that's really the thing. I mean, it's living the dream. It's it's almost like free money and you're able to do something that you enjoy that your passion, and not a lot of people get to enjoy that. And I feel pretty lucky about that too. I'm glad you do as well. That's that's that's excellent, uh, Georgie.
Speaker 5: And I think Bob did with the football and the uh and the broadcast end of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was just so good. Uh. And everybody that I've talked to has so has shared so much as far as him just being a good person aside from the work and that. I think that's what we had.
Speaker 5: That voice too, and it was like that voice, you know, it's all it was Darth Vader before Darth Vader.
Speaker 1: That's true. That's well stated. Man.
Speaker 3: He spoke and you lessened man.
Speaker 5: That voice commanded respect and and by guy that he deserved it.
Speaker 1: I can remember being in my bedroom with the hand me down Reader's digest radio with an earbud when I listening to him as a kid. UH tell you, yeah, that's pretty crazy.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: George Vogel, thank you take it. Thank you for taking my call and sharing a little bit of your experience and your and your understanding about Bob Trump and the man and the professional that he was and just bringing what you bring to the table. So thank you.
Speaker 3: Yep, anytime, Sterling give me a call.
Speaker 1: Take care of yourself before I let you bounce. You're doing much bowling because I know you. We always talk like I got bowling in the morning.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I had a back surgery about a year ago and I haven't gotten back in the bowling. But I got a tea time tomorrow at ten fifty seven, so I got that going on.
Speaker 3: But I'm going to try and get back in the bowling this winter.
Speaker 1: Well, I hope you hit it good tomorrow and enjoy it before it gets too cold and the frozen tundra of a Cincinnati winner and those gray skies get upon us. Go hit it well tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, those days are coming fast.
Speaker 1: Thanks Sterling, take care of yourself. He's Georgia Bulg, the former sports director WLWT Channel five, talking about the late great Bob Trumpy Godfather's sports radio here on the Big One. Coming up. We'll talk to Gary Jeff Walker after eleven o'clock. A lot of other ground to cover your chance to get interacted. Beautiful Monday night here the Nation station basketball bear Cats win ninety four sixty three over Western Carolina. Earlier Musketeers handled Maris sixty six sixty two at Sentas Nku Norris at their place in Northern Kentucky Truist Arena one twenty six to sixty nine, they handled U. C. Claremont with ease, and Canisius's Golden Griffin leave you the arena sad as the Dane Flyers pound them eighty eight forty eight and the Wright State Raiders pounded Franklin's Grizzlies eighty six thirty six at the Nutter Center Quick Break Comeback News. A little bit later, Gary Jeff Walker, Final Hour ahead on a Monday night, Sterling, where the Hoode play even though it was not a good outcome yesterday as while as the bearcatch the Musketeers, and sooner than later hod Stoveleague action here talking red seven hundredu WLW Cincinnati Election Day tomorrow, Go vote if you haven't already voted. He heard my recommendation. So I'm trying to say here to hew final Hour together Monday night, Gary Jeff Walker's normally here at this time. Instead he took the night off. Yet he reached out to me earless, sause I really want to be on to talk about gen Z and their relationship problems. I'm like, what are you talking about, Gary Jeff Walker, how are you? What are you doing with Sterling? Hanging out on a Monday night? Bearcats win, Musketeers win, Norse win, Dayton Flyers win, Right State Raiders win, and there's two losing teams playing Monday night football cards and Cowboys and now you on the line, Gary Jeff, You've made my night complete.
Speaker 4: Well, Sterling, I would think that there are probably some people who think there's an enormous amount of hubris for me topear in this timeslot when I'm actually.
Speaker 3: Not on the air.
Speaker 4: But it's not a matter of It's not a matter of narcissism at all. But there are several things percolating. I'm still getting over the passing of the Great Bob Trumpy. Yes, and you among many people I know who have suffered from TDS. Trumpy huh, Trumpy syndrome?
Speaker 1: What are you talking about?
Speaker 4: You have Trumpy derangement syndrome. You've actually said that everything about Trumpy ever did or said must be bad because it was Bob Trumpy. We're going to get past that.
Speaker 1: Have you had a blunt trauma?
Speaker 4: Well, not recently, I did crack some ribs about.
Speaker 3: Two weeks ago.
Speaker 1: Oh that's not good.
Speaker 4: No, I just wanted to mention Bob Trumpy. We'll be having in depth discussions on the memory of Bob Trumpy tomorrow night on the Election Night Show. We'll deliver that in between election results tomorrow from nine to midnight. But I saw something today and it just thought I thought this was a great sterling topic. And it was that gen Z men for some reason are afraid to go out on dates because of possible failures that could become viral.
Speaker 1: Is apparently they're afraid they're going to be filmed right in some fashion doing something stupid.
Speaker 4: And doing something stupid, saying something stupid.
Speaker 1: It's never stopped either one of us. But we're older than that.
Speaker 4: Thing, and I wanted to relate that current day news story to what many people like me faced when we were very young. I was in eighth grade at knox Stone Junior High School. I was a burgeoning star on the junior high basketball team. And in those days, in the late seventies, mid to late seventies, the boys team would play after the girls team in basketball. And so I'm in eighth grade, probably about fourteen years old, and I'm in the stands with my one of my first girlfriends. We were holding hands and there was some kissing, but yeah, nothing heavy.
Speaker 3: Nothing. I mean we didn't.
Speaker 4: Get past well, we wouldn't get past a World Series third base without being thrown out at home plate. Let's say that that happened many times in Game.
Speaker 1: Seven, somebody had to shut down, right.
Speaker 4: But I'm sitting in the stands with my girlfriend, Laurel Varney, and I can say her name now because I mean it's been many years and the statue de limitations is long worn off. But I'm in there until the third quarter, the end of the the third quarter of the girls games, and then it's time for the boys to go and get dressed out for the boys game, which immediately follows. Yes, well, after half an hour or an hour of holding hands with Laurel Barney in the stands before our game, I am first in the locker room to change out for the boys game. Well, I apparently, unbeknownst to me, I felt something funny, but it had been become physically aroused by my holding hands in the stands of Laurel Barney. And I'm the first one in the boys locker room. Well, a teammate of mine came in as I was getting dressed. I was already stripped down to my underwear, and apparently it was obvious that I'd become physically aroused sitting in the stands holding hands and kissing with Laurel Varney before the game.
Speaker 1: Because so you're describing this repeatedly for I don't know what reason. You even after you've left the stands and you're getting dressed up to go play, you're still in this stay.
Speaker 4: There are tell there are telltale signs that I was physically aroused.
Speaker 1: Yes, I hear it.
Speaker 4: And so a teammate comes in, not knowing any of this, but sees that notices for some reason, right before I put on my uniform. And so for the entire rest of the year, and my entire ninth grade year, also on the basketball team and the student body at Naxtas Junior High School in Pedersonville, Tennessee, when I'm fifteen, sixteen years old and known as sperm worm. Oh my, now, this is the nickname that I had to live through even the sophomore year of high school and went to another high school, and I had to be known pointed out. I cannot imagine if that had gone viral, if we had had cell phones, if this had been caught on a video. For some reason, no person would wanted to have recorded this, me being physically aroused as I was putting on my uniform to go play basketball. It was bad enough with is the word of mouth it went viral in the way that it would go viral in the late nineteen seventies. Sure, the way it goes viral tonight now is all around the world.
Speaker 1: So here's what I want to own first. Yeah, did the girls catch on to this and make fun of you? Were you traumatized and somehow paralyzed? Is that why you left that school to go to another because you were shamed?
Speaker 4: No, I went I left that school to go to another because that's what we did. We went from Junior High to the Okaye.
Speaker 1: It wasn't just a different high school.
Speaker 6: I got you, Okay, This this lengthy legacy followed me right next still, because apparently it was noticeable enough for someone to see.
Speaker 3: At the end of the hallway.
Speaker 4: So I'm thinking that the initial reaction by that teammate and by other teammates were that possibly I was more equipped for adulthood than they were.
Speaker 1: I see. So do you think that if you had been alive and this had happened today, in the fear of being exposed publicly, would.
Speaker 4: You could you imagine sperm worm going worldwide on social media on x or Twitter or anything, and and what you would have to live down as being the real luct and stud of eighth grade basketball. This could have been a library, and it was. It was absolutely embarrassing enough for me.
Speaker 1: But you're still telling the story because you feel comfortable enough to do that now. So what is the lesson learned here for kids today? Is to not worry about it, to not worry about the social media so much, and just focus on living their lives.
Speaker 4: Don't you think the lesson is? The lesson is you are if you are noticeable enough to be known as sperm worm, you should live in that moment as a teenager. And I understand that while the girls may laugh at first, you'll be laughing last in the ultimate because they'll understand that you're a man with plan and ultimately you can help them in ways that they're they're mocking. Boyfriends could never help them. But one probing further, what I'm saying further is that embarrassment in dating and coming of age is a right of passage, and that boys today, regardless of there are cameras and phones everywhere, don't be embarrassed to go through that and understand that everybody goes through that, and while you may be singled out, it's just a right of passage, and that we are so measured and we are so judged in an age of viral videos everywhere. It's simply part of growing up and you just need to experience it. And I'm just telling you, well, I'm not proud that I was that physically excited. It was something that I couldn't help right.
Speaker 1: Well, the bottom line is I think that really what it boils down to is if you're so fixated on what everybody else is saying. I mean, things can be amplified, but it really is not relevant to everyday life. It's not going to keep you from getting a job.
Speaker 3: I did not become.
Speaker 4: A true adult person in this life, Sterling, and neither did you. Until the age we realize that what other people say and what other people do.
Speaker 3: Is not a.
Speaker 4: Measure of who we are. It's a measure of who they are. That's right, and that we need to be ourselves and not worry about what other people think of us, and to not let that be our judge.
Speaker 1: Well, that's hard, though, when you're a kid coming up though, your whole world is you know, those hallways at school, and it's that neighborhood. And it used to be the phone that was unplugged into the wall, and now of course it's your wrist or your tablet or your laptop to school or or whatever else that goes into it. Sure, but you know how you get kids beyond the idea of thinking that that screen is everything when what's in front of you and the communication that you have with other human beings face to face and everyday life is more important than something that you can turn off or restart and unplug or whatever else. I don't know how you get beyond that. I think that's the trick if somebody is so fixated on it. And there are a whole lot of kids who are, there's a lot of adults who are.
Speaker 4: I spent years of my life in this business, as you probably did too, and we all have egos and we're always worried about what people.
Speaker 3: Think of us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, to a point, and I always I always tell people, if Willie is talking about me, it means that I matter. It doesn't matter what he is saying. It doesn't matter what anyone else says about you. If someone finds you deems you worthy enough to talk about it means you matter.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 4: The moment, the moment that they're not talking about you, that is the time to worry. That is the time to draw within yourself or realize that you need to make some changes if you really care about such things. And I'm just telling you that I don't care what anyone thinks of me for my opinions or anything else, because I own those, I'm true to those, and I'm not going to change those because of any kind of cancel culture, and because any kind of viral video campaign against me.
Speaker 1: Have you had that happen to you? Have you had a viral campaign against you? At this point? I mean, are people apt out to get you?
Speaker 3: Gary?
Speaker 1: Jeff Walker?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: I think that people universally loved me, Stern.
Speaker 1: Well, I think your love too, But you sound like you have a complex, like people are maybe out to get you. I'm very concerned now.
Speaker 4: I'm worried about that I'm trying to preach a message here, yes, and you're trying and you're trying to verbally piss on my sermony.
Speaker 1: No, I am not. I am not. I find that I am going to the Church of Gary Jeff Walker, But I am. We've known each other for the better part of thirty years now, maybe more than that, actually, which is disturbed.
Speaker 4: Nineteen ninety three, it's been thirty two years since we first met. Holy crap, and at the Brady Bunch House in Dayton, Ohio, Kettering, Ohio.
Speaker 1: That's right, and they've changed that dot.
Speaker 4: Worry owned by a man named Alex Williams who had an r D in the back parking lot where he would meet his mistresses.
Speaker 3: Allegedly.
Speaker 1: I don't know anything about any of that, No, te I just heard these stories, Yeah I heard allegedly.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, so, yes, we've known each other a long time. But what I'm telling you, and what I would love to tell gen Z, is yes, you know what, the technology may have changed, but things are the way they always have been. And don't let your growth or your self identity be dictated by what other people say or do you know what not? Everybody needs to be famous for five seconds, and not everybody needs to be judged by what other people document about them at any given moment in time.
Speaker 1: Well stated that was good. That maybe the best thing I think I've ever heard you say.
Speaker 4: Well, you just haven't listened enough.
Speaker 1: That's probably true. I need to listen more. In fact, I'm trying to even listen to the voices in my head more. But I keep hearing you there now, so I don't know yes, yes.
Speaker 4: Yes quickly, I know you're you're running short.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 4: God gave us two ears and one mouth for the reason. Yes, listen, yes, and be confident within yourself no matter what others say.
Speaker 1: I feel good, I feel good. You feel good. This has been good.
Speaker 3: I feel great.
Speaker 4: In fact, I think i'm I'm visibly excited right now.
Speaker 1: And with that, I'll leave you because I'm not going to wait until you dress out for the next game. Jerry, Jeff Walker, he'll be back tomorrow. I get to talk to you, brother, good to talk to you. We'll see you later more Sterling coming back. I hope he's okay. It's seven hundred WL night, first wenty forecast on the Big One out A thirty four tonight middle sixties for your Tuesday election day. Go vote if you care or don't. About twenty five percent of people expected to actually hit the polls in total from early voting, mail in and tomorrow at the ballot box on election day Tuesday, November the fourth, and we'll see exactly how many people make a decision about the mayor or council and a host of other things that are on the ballot, depending on what districts you happen to reresiding him. It's a forty seven right now. Your severe weather station seven hundred WLW. Next couple days warmer Wednesday, close to seventy sixty again Thursday, low sixty tomorrow. Go talking to Gary Jeff earlier. It will be back tomorrow night talking about his care and concern about relationship issues for the people. And that's great Lance McAllister earlier too. You can check out the podcast. He and George Vogel both joined me separately. Of course, our sports talk host here in the evenings does a roundtable show at Rocky and everybody else and Lapham what he does on the Bengals Roundtable and everything else at Lance McCallister. George Vogel, former sports director at WLWT Channel five talking about Bob Trumpy, godfather of sports talk here seven hundred WLW, who passed away over the weekend at the age of eighty. Just fantastic stories and experience with him, working with him, knowing him. Certainly the numbers stand for themselves. As a player ten years or so as a Cincinnati Bengal and original football Bengal coming out of Utah and going on to do what he did as a broadcaster covering NFL and the Olympics and Ryder Cup stuff, and just a story career in what everyone has talked about him is just being just a decent, wonderful human being. So it's quite a loss. I grew up listening to the guy, and it's had a lot of these lately, unfortunately, but it is the way life works. So my heart goes out to his family. And we come back after your eleven third of report, we'll talk a little bit about I don't know if you can remember this either friends, maybe at a party, maybe when you were in college or whatever. It's been some weeks ago. Story was in the news. Now there's going to be a lawsuit. There were ten people that were on that balcony. The second or third week in October that collapsed. A couple of them, at least one I think, had life life altering injuries that go along with that. With this balcony collapse, now there's some litigation associated with it. Generally, I think they're supposed to be set in, designed and structure supported for something in the neighborhood of about ten people on one of those balconies more than that, otherwise it becomes a danger. I don't know how many parties over the years that when I was in school, either visiting friends at their apartments where there were parties, or elsewhere where there were some type of balcony on a higher level floor, second, third, fourth floor, whatever where. Regularly there would be so many people on those balconies that I just outside looking in walking into a building or a house like that, I'm like, that is not a good place to be, very unsettling. So it's one of those things that it's sort of a person at the party needs to be aware, and obviously the struct structure needs to be built a design and made sure that it's inspected and as it should be. And this litigation is going to play out because it's just a horrible situation, but I mean countless times, countless parties where I would see tons and tons of people piled on balconies. They were not designed to have that many people on them. It is disturbing. Lee Mawin's got your eleven thirty report. We'll talk on that and a whole lot more coming up here, all before the ATM starts. Ready to roll on seven hundred WLW. Hey, how you doing, Sterling? Just about done, not quite rolling till midnight. Then Kevin Gordon fits behind the wheel. Joe Waddell will get it started and warmed up in America's truck and network will roll after the midnight report. Lee Mawin has news. He just stopped in to tell me, giving me more details about that litigation and the issue in that horrible situation going back a couple of weeks where those u STE students or are at a party or get together of some sort out on the balcony. It's supposed to be able to hold ten people, and apparently that's how many actually were injured as a part of the collapsing of that balcony, which was on the I think the second floor or third technically above like garage area or parking area, which is a pretty unnerving scenario. And I can't tell you how many parties I've been to when I was a kid, as a student, subsequently even as a young adult, which I'm not a young one anymore, and are accused of acting like a child more than once. But the just scene I remember walking into parties and having to get together. You grab one of those nice red cups and you hit the keg or whatever, cocktails or flowing, and people are out and about and then you see on the patio and it's like filled with tons of people, and I just I can tell you on more than one occasion, I was like, oh, hell no, I'm not getting out there to visit and see people on that balcony because it's just the fear of them collapsing. And then your story like this too, and they have to go through the litigation process and everything as a part of it. But they are supposed to be able to hold up to ten people and be supported with that, and those structures are supposed to be inspected however so often, and you got to wonder, and these are things that'll come out and discovery and argument in this case is that you know when was it inspected or did they have more than ten people on it? Was it already one of those things that they were made aware of that they should not over tax the balcony. Was that not something that had been discussed with the tenants or their guests, etc. And so forth. I mean, there's a lot to it, and we're talking about the severe trauma physically, emotionally and everything else. I'm not going to litigate it here. I'm not an attorney. I'm not going to try to play one on the radio, that's for sure. But just an unnerving nightmare scenario. And a good friend of mine who was in a band called the Oxymorons when I was coming up, Ben Schulker was his name. He was on a balcony. It was not overcrowded, but as I understand, it was like leaning back up as a lot of people will do, put up your feet or whatever else, and apparently lost his this is years ago now, and then fell off of this balcony and lost his life. And that still shakes me thinking about it. It was a buddy of mine, and it just resonates even more you see a story like this, or you know, even at that time, going around to parties, and I just sort of just like you, I don't need to be on that backhony. I just do not need to be on that patio or that type of situation. Five point three seven four nine seven eight hundred the big one, Glad you're along. Earlier basketball bear Cats at home fifth third Arena kicked off the new season ninety four sixty three. They sent to Western Carolina's Catamounts back home losers. A big win for West Miller's bear Cats to start off the season. Musketeers at home at sentas sixty six sixty two, they send U Marist Red Fox's home losers. You see, Claremont visited Northern Kentucky University's Norse at Truest Arena and got pounded and sent home back up seventy one, shaking their heads, probably wondering what happened to us, Not quite doubled up, but close one twenty six to sixty nine. And if I'm not mistaken, that is the most scoring that the Norse have ever done, one hundred and twenty six to sixty nine. That's a big win there up at ud Arena Downtown Dayton, just off seventy five eighty eight forty eight. The Flyers handle Canisius's Golden Griffins so fairly easily. Right State Raiders at the Nutter Center just about fifteen minutes from there, and Fairborn off of six seventy five where I went to school at Right State as well as Lee Mallen and Santa Collins too. I think Wright State eighty six, Franklin's Grizzlies thirty six, So a win for all those teams. You see Xavier Nku the Flyers at Dayton and Wright State all getting wus tonight. So there is that I'm curious, and I figure, why not ask this question here and driving around or whatever else? You know, we got a government shutdown that's happening. We got people with their snap benefits, food, a lot of seniors, some veterans, kids, their moms, single parents sometimes with a lot of working families that are food and secure, that spend time working and trying to handle their business. This is It's been some years ago, and I regularly have on Kurt Riber from the Free Store Food Bank because I desperately believe in trying to help out our neighbors. And it's a very giving and loving community here in the tri State, and they do incredible work, like ninety three ninety four percent of all proceeds that are given to the Free Store Food Bank go right through them and go directly to the people with food in hand, which is a pretty amazing thing. And they get a lot of corporate support as well. But the number of people that are dealing with food issues in this government shutdown, not including but the food bank's getting an uptick in military families as well because of their pay situation. Don't know about the air traffic controllers and what they're navigating literally and figuratively as they're supposed to be going back to work on a regular basis without getting paid. But the statistics of those that are food insecure and regularly getting food aid in these United States is just about twelve percent of the US population, which is just absolutely amazing. Like forty one million Americans regularly not in extraordinary situations because of the shutdown, but regularly getting food assistance SNAP or food card, food stamps, whatever. It is forty one million out of some three if in fact you believe the numbers of about three hundred and thirty million Americans, that puts US just about a twelve percent of Americans needing help to get food on their table regularly, to make sure their kids have a full belly so they can go to school ready to learn and not have to worry about if they're going to have lunch or dinner or breakfast the next day or whatever else. That is just absolutely sad, miserable at a time, And I know this will piss a lot of people off, and I frankly don't care. But at a time, so many people we talk about making America great again and the effort to make America healthy again, with people looking at buying into the healthcare exchanges, working people sometimes with two and three jobs, part time jobs, or low income jobs, whatever else, trying to take care of kids and everything else, and still buying through the exchange, getting some type of help with supplementing the actual cost a tax credit or otherwise paid towards those insurance payments. Doesn't seem to me that there's a whole lot of healthy or great stuff going on with hungry and people that can't get insurance with the prices going up right now. Meanwhile, lawmakers are sitting on their ass doing much of what nothing, not wanting to vote on it or not really seriously debating it, and to talk about somebody not wanting to lose this debate or argument or whatever else. Their job in Washington is one thing is working for we the people. And I'm all about lower taxes. I'm all about avoiding wasting expenses and government dollars and all the other stuff that goes with it. Forty one million Americans on a regular basis need help getting food, and it's getting shut down or at least in part while they figure out something for how long this government has been shut down. And the shutdown wouldn't even be shut down if it wasn't for the fact that they were already yanking away healthcare and already yanking away money for medical care stuff. And here's the other thing that I find that it is absolutely amazing with all the talk about our cities and how unsafe they are and a mayor's race in Cincinnati where you got a question, is the police policy and the way they go about their business doing it the right way with the unfound across the street where there was a shooting this weekend, and that is it the police, is it the government and how the city is handling it, whether it's the city manager or the mayor, and whatever policy is it, the judges, the judiciary, and how they penalize those handful of people that are regular repeat offenders out there on these streets, whether it's young kids, minor children with guns or grown adult people who should sure as hell know better to not be quick with the gun to decide to solve their problems, like it's somehow the Old West or some other crap like that. In this situation, the federal government in city after city has polled federal dollars that were supposed to go to policing to help hire more cops, to help give them more tools to do the job, and the federal government talks about needing more police and bringing in National Guard or whatever else. I'm just gonna say, when you're pulling money away from city and state governments that handles policing issues and monies that were given to them grants for you know, whether it's a supplies and more cruisers or more deputies or city police officers or whatever else, I think there's a lot of double talk and a lot of jive that's been going on in the midst of all the stuff that's happening, or maybe I'm wrong five point three seven four nine seven eight hundred, the big one. You can talk back the iHeartRadio app. But it is bewildering. Forty one million Americans in the best of times needing help with food, with a government shutdown, and workers in the federal government who work hard for us. They're citizens, they're neighbors of ours, not getting paid in some cases, expected still to show up to work, and wondering if they're going to have the ability to put food on the table for their kids to go to school. And they're worried about winning or losing. Do the work in DC and stop talking so much crap. It's it is amazing to me. And clearly stuff in downtown Cincinnati.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: And I love Cincinnati, Uh I do. I love the tri State in the Miami Valley and uh I just the police need to do better.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Clearly city government needs to do better, and the citizen really needs to also do better in all of this. You know, new mayor, old mayor, same mayor. You know. I don't know, however many council members need to be replaced. You tell me. I hear from police who tell me that they don't think the courts are doing their job and then turning people back on the street. There's a lot of finger pointing, but the cops need to do their part, the courts and prosecutors need to do theirs, and parents need to do a better job making sure they don't make a default, a faulty piece of crap product that's not ready to go to school and learn and not out on the streets after hours somehow with firearms in their hand, thinking it's easier to boost cars, steal stuff, sell weed or whatever else that's at there? Am I crazy? Let's get Will Will's first here before the break was Stirling on seven hundredule lw Will. What do you think?
Speaker 7: I just want to say that my wife works are so security at downtown office and she's working every day not getting paid, and it sucks thirty five days not getting paid.
Speaker 1: So what do they tell them when they're on the job about that? I mean that they still have to show up, because I've talked to a few people in different types of jobs and they basically say, we're sorry, but you either show up or you may not have a job. Is that what she's heard?
Speaker 7: Yes, she has to go in, she has to go in. She has to work, do the office, not from home. There's no telework anymore. She has to give a report to the office, work regular work load, do all the normal things that she does day to day. And we just haven't gotten a page. She got a half a paycheck three weeks ago, no paycheck last week, and no paycheck coming up. This crateic.
Speaker 1: Now, I'm guessing you must work or it's gonna I mean, that's a really tough situation to be in when you're not getting money or knowing how much you're gonna get of.
Speaker 7: Any Yes, I do work. We have a emergency fund. It's about a six month emergency fund. We're a little over a month in.
Speaker 1: And that's the thing. Most people don't even have a thousand dollars in an emergency fund, let alone six months. You guys were thinking ahead like squirrels, putting those nuts away before winter gets here. That's a smart way to do it, man, And going to be in a position to do that. What's the morale that she's talked about with her co workers there. I'm curious.
Speaker 7: It's brutal. They don't want to I mean, they're there to help everybody that haunts a scaredy, So I mean they're not. They don't want to leave the people that they have appointments with high and dry. But at the same time, they're working every day, all day long, doing the same thing and not getting paid.
Speaker 3: So it's it's rough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, i'd say it is. I'm sorry you're having to go through that and so many other people. It's probably the nicest way to put it. I've tried to keep it clean in the frustration that I have, and I'm still getting paid when I show up, So I mean, that's right, that's a whole other story. We'll see if my card key were the next time.
Speaker 3: I try. I try not to make a sound bad or mean.
Speaker 7: But they just passed the SNAP stuff paying partially. They've just approved the partially pay all the SNAP benefits. Why can't we approve the least pay is a federal workers at.
Speaker 4: Least yeah, for their salary.
Speaker 1: No kedding, because I mean, here's the thing. I've talked to a few people. There's an older couple across the street from me. They were wondering about their social security issues aside from that, which I don't know much about. But you know, there are people that are working that are now having to figure out how they're going to get food because they may not have that emergency fund like you have. They got to show up to work. But then what do they have to do go to the food I mean, that's that's that's or the church or something like that. I mean, that's a really brutal place to be right now. And the lawmakers have been ware doing what's awesome.
Speaker 3: To be honest with you, my wife's actually losing.
Speaker 7: Money because she has to go downtown and pay the part because they don't they don't offer parking plans down there. She has put pay the park and gas and wear and tear on the vehicle and not get paid.
Speaker 1: All the other expense.
Speaker 3: Everybody I talked.
Speaker 7: To, they're like, you know, she'll get back pay. That's fine, and great bay comes in if it.
Speaker 3: Comes in right.
Speaker 1: And tell your creditors that if you've got a bill that's getting ten days past to thirty days past to or whatever else, that's brutal. Really well, I'm sorry you're navigating that. I'm glad that your wife is there doing the job and those others and hats off to them, and I appreciate you picking up the phone to share. Hopefully they'll get their jobs done and figure a way to solve this here in the center than later.
Speaker 3: Brother, hopefully.
Speaker 1: Certainly, Thanks Charlie, curiously, thank you, appreciate you listening. Quick Break will come back. I'm not done yet, although Kevin Gordon warming it up and gunning it, he's ready to roll with atn after midnight here on the Big One on a night where the basketball bear Cats handle Western Carolina. They got their first win of the season was Miller's guys at ninety four to sixty three, A Xavier wins and Nku wins and the Dayton Flyers winning Right State wins. And over the weekend the Bengals scored what forty two and still wasn't good enough, and the week ago thirty eight not good enough. I'm not saying it's the defense's problem, but unbelievable. It's sterling just about done. Leading up to, of course, Kevin Gordon in America's Trucking Network rolling after midnight, Joe Waddell producing, He's telling me about his fantasy team and he got to win barely, and he's like the Bengals. They score all the points in the world, but the defense giving it up like nobody's business too. I shouldn't lap, but it's sort of the way. It is a great conversation and great memory shared. I got to thank Lance McCallister, making time sports talk host here at the Big One, and George Vogel, former sports director WLWT Channel five Hall of Famer Greater Cincinnat a Hall of journalism, giving us some insights perspective in the late great Bob Trumpy, the godfather sports talk, eighty years old, passed away over the weekend started all right here at seven hundred WLW. We lost him. It was just a really incredible talent on the field as an original football Bengal, as a broadcaster, and just very kind just in general. So I appreciate those guys making an opportunity to join us and share their perspective and some good words about Bob Trumpy. Hart goes out to his family. Thank you to Joe Waddell, Gary Jeff Walker also joined us. He'll be back again tomorrow night and I'll talk to you on Friday.
Speaker 3: Right here.
Speaker 1: Have yourself a good one. Go vote if you want to tomorrow. Should listen, even if thirty percent of the possible voters out there that are eligible hit the ballot box tomorrow, which they won't. That's thirty They expect twenty five percent including early voting and mail in, so it should be easy to get in and get out to make your choices when it comes to the vote if you choose to to vote tomorrow Election Day, and will have full on results and information and news as always, right here, all day long and all night here on the home of the Reds, the Bengals, the Bearcats, the Musketeers, and the Hood. Day here seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati,