Speaker 1: The quest for the three-peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk. Here we go again. We're getting ready to run it back. To get in on the show, call 866-987-2570.
Speaker 3: And be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Here's your host, David Vasang. Welcome to Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: David Vasse, live at Uniqlo Field at Dodger Stadium after the Cardinals put up a 13th spot and beat the Dodgers tonight 13-8. It's the most runs any Cardinals team has ever scored in a single game at Dodger Stadium, and this rivalry goes all the way back to Brooklyn. Obviously, the Cardinals came here back when this ballpark opened in 1962, but tonight, 13 runs was the most runs scored by any Cardinals team in a single game by any Redbirds ball club at Dodgers Stadium. That's not a distinction the 2026 Dodgers want to have, but that's the reality after St. Louis takes game one of this three-game series, 13-8.
Speaker 4: St.
Speaker 2: Louis scored seven runs off of Eric Lauer tonight in three innings, five in that third inning. The Dodgers came back with three in the bottom half of the third inning as Cardinals defense helped them out tonight to open that door. But a little too little too late being down seven runs after three innings tonight or two and a half innings tonight. Michael McGreevy was out of this game after five innings. So The Dodger offense looked good, looked better, did not give up at bats, even though they were down a ton going into the final three frames of tonight's game. So I guess that's the silver lining. But the biggest thing is that Eric Lauer just was not very sharp tonight. And let's not forget, he's Eric Lauer. He has pitched unbelievably well tonight. for the Dodgers since they acquired him from the Blue Jays. Tonight just was not his night, and he spoke to the media on Sportsnet LA after the game.
Speaker 4: I think overall my command wasn't very good. Too many misses, too many big misses. I didn't feel like I really had a good grasp on where the ball was going today, and that obviously hurt. Trying to trying to make in-game adjustments. I've got to be a little better at that and, you know, just making sure that I don't let things compound like that.
Speaker 3: Why did you think that you just didn't kind of have it today? Was it something you felt in your bullpen earlier, or did you think it's kind of one of those games where you kind of want to just put it aside and move forward?
Speaker 4: I think overall it's kind of one of those games where, you know, I felt good warming up, felt good in the bullpen, and then got out there and kind of just– lost it and you know it's it's one of those things where you know you try to make adjustments and you try to work on things between and i think i might have been just tinkering a little too much in between and you know getting outside of myself so um i think really just focusing on what i do well and repeating that and not trying to get too fancy and getting back to the basics is really really all i think i need to do.
Speaker 2: All right, there's Eric Lauer after tonight's game. And considering the injury to Rokey Sasaki, the Dodgers starting rotation is no longer a six-man rotation. It's a five-man rotation with Otani not pitching for the foreseeable future with Sasaki on the injured list and Justin Robleski in the bullpen. So the Dodgers are starting a nine-game stretch here at Dodger Stadium, and they're going to need another starter if they want to create an extra days of rest for the rest of this rotation.
Speaker 1: So the Dodgers need Eric Lauer.
Speaker 2: It just wasn't his night, and I know he had been really confident with as well as he'd been pitching, but this game will humble you. And tonight it humbled Eric Lauer, unfortunately, and put the Dodgers in a hole 7-0 after the top of the third inning. They would come back and score eight runs themselves, but it wasn't enough as St. Louis beat the Dodgers tonight 13-8. Coming up later in the show, you're going to hear from Dalton Rushing, who was active tonight. He did come off the bench, and also the Dodgers made a few other roster moves. We'll get to that in a moment, but the other big news of tonight's game was that Will Smith was behind the plate for the first time since June 4th, and that's something that was significant. Will Smith, we were told, just woke up one day in Phoenix with a bad sore neck, and it turned into a three-month ordeal for Will Smith. I'm not even sure he thought it would take this long to get back after what we were told. Still no real clarity on how his neck got so banged up and so injured. I would imagine a lot of it has to do with foul balls off the mask. Let's not forget, Will Smith has had a concussion. Sounds like I have one. Had a concussion a couple of years ago, and that's why, you know, former catchers talked about protecting the catching position, not by this Buster Posey rule, trying to avoid collisions from once in a while, but really, the concussions come from foul balls off the mask, and that's what happened to Will Smith. He's taken his share of them since 2019, so.
Speaker 1: Um, maybe that was part of this equation.
Speaker 2: We don't know, but Will Smith tonight in the seventh inning had his first hit since June and also drove in his first run since May 29th and has not spoken to the media during the period of time that he was on the injury list. He never shared with you what was going on with his neck until tonight. Will Smith spoke at his locker on Sportsnet LA.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it felt good.
Speaker 5: You know, it's been a while, a few months. So, uh, You got to go out there and compete with those guys. I've been watching every game for them. But to go out there and compete and play, that's what we try to do. That's what I want to do.
Speaker 3: I know this is probably one of those games when you kind of just look at the pitching or even just the results that the Cardinals are able to put up, you might want to just kind of turn the page, put it behind. But what were you seeing from the pitching staff as a whole today?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think they did a really good job sticking in their zones. They weren't chasing us. They were aggressive in zone. They were putting the bat on the ball a lot. You know, they were slugged in today. I think they hit five homers or whatever. So, yeah, you just tip your hat to them, turn the page, and it's good tomorrow.
Speaker 4: So when you went on the I.L., initially the hope was it was going to be like a couple days. Just like how frustrating did these last three months become the longer that the next thing went on?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, it was frustrating early. You know, just looking for answers why it's taking longer. But we finally got those answers, and then, you know, it was kind of a pretty straightforward process from there. So the last month or two hasn't been too bad.
Speaker 4: Do you remember what kind of turning point was for you?
Speaker 5: He was just giving it time. It was just an injury that needed time to heal.
Speaker 3: How did it feel to be back in the box, putting balls in the air, got the double?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it felt good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it felt like I didn't miss a beat.
Speaker 4: Will, what was it like seeing Hunter Fiducia come back to the organization and step up with you and Dalton both getting hurt?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's... Fade that out. I mean, that that's enough. I mean, some of those questions.
Speaker 2: I mean, OK, well, I would love to have somebody follow up and ask him what the injury was that really kept him on the shelf for three months. But I guess somebody sounded like a blogger wanted to ask him about Hunter Fiducia. I mean, that's not the time or place. But anyway, it was great to have Will Smith back in the starting lineup tonight, and certainly he's going to be a big impact for the Dodgers, especially now without Andy Pahez. They have a guy that is a three-time World Series winning catcher, a guy that brings a stabilizing force behind the plate, a calming presence, if you will, and also the fact that he's one of the most clutch hitters the Dodgers have had since he got called up in 2019. Going back to that famous weekend against the Rockies in the middle of 2019 where they call it walk-off weekend. And he was a rookie amongst rookies, Matt Beatty and Alex Verdugo, all getting walk-off hits. And Will Smith hit a walk-off home run that summer weekend in June against the Rockies. him being back in this lineup was huge. He was hitting fifth tonight. So we'll see where that goes. That's a pretty good, you know, easing into playing again for the first time in three months. I wouldn't be surprised to see him higher in the order, maybe down the road in the next week or two, maybe hitting third. But he does give Max Muncy a right-handed bat protecting him. And when they have Freddie Freeman hitting cleanup, that's also a good protection behind him as well. And Dalton rushing We had a chance to catch up with him. Remember, before Sunday Night Baseball against the Red Sox a few weeks ago, Dalton Rushing was a late scratch, and he felt something in his right elbow. It's something that he had felt in college, but the Dodgers shut him down from throwing, and there was some question. about whether or not rushing season was going to be over because of his right throwing elbow giving him issues. But it looks like he is going to avoid surgery. And also, he's now throwing from 90 to 100 feet. And there's some optimism amongst Rushing and the Dodgers, in particular Andrew Friedman, that not only will Rushing be able to avoid surgery, but there's a chance that he could come back and catch this season. Here's what Dalton Rushing told us earlier today.
Speaker 6: I guess the restriction's new, but not really a different role. I guess you could say I kind of played this role a little bit last year, early on especially. um so i'm familiar with it in a way uh but at the same time yeah it was uh good news found out yesterday and uh yeah i was chomping at the bit i was uh very excited got a few live abouts today i've been hitting traject a lot and um here we go.
Speaker 2: Was there any doubt that you wouldn't be able to do this today or in september in.
Speaker 6: My eyes or my head no um sure there was throughout the org a little bit but uh no i've uh i felt pretty confident obviously on the hitting side but uh I feel even more confident on the catching side again. His throwing's obviously progressed a little bit.
Speaker 1: Oh, you're throwing?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I've been throwing. I haven't started.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how far do you throw?
Speaker 6: Strictly 90 to 100 feet right now, but it feels really good. It's in a really good spot, and I think it's going to progress really well down the stretch.
Speaker 2: Since you've been through this role where you've only been coming off the bench... You've got to find a routine, I would imagine, considering being the dominant everyday guy that you were.
Speaker 1: How do you find that new routine?
Speaker 6: I think you've got to challenge yourself a little bit in the cages. You're not getting challenged every day, so it's a little different. You have to find a way to challenge yourself when you get on trajectory. Find a way to challenge yourself on machine, whatever the case may be. And I think from there, it's just really take the at-bat. It's... something you've obviously done, and it's no different than a month ago when I was in the lineup.
Speaker 1: Yeah, compete.
Speaker 6: Yeah, just go up there and compete, do your job, and obviously coming off the bench, you're coming in crucial spots, help the team win, help the team score runs, and I think that's what excites me most.
Speaker 2: All right, there's Dalton Rushing, who had an 800 OPS before going on the IL.
Speaker 1: He had 12 home runs.
Speaker 2: He was definitely a threat at the bottom of the Dodgers' order, and If he can come back and catch at some point before the end of the regular season going into October, as you heard his voice right there, sounds very optimistic that he will be.
Speaker 1: All of a sudden, you got a pretty.
Speaker 2: Good catching tandem in Will Smith and Dalton Rushing, the one you had before both those guys got hurt. Not to mention Hunter Fadusha has done a nice job as well. And just as far as the other roster moves go to make room for Rushing, to make room for Alex Freeland and Justin Robleski. The Dodgers designated for assignment Alec Thomas and Ben Rortvitz. So the Dodgers currently have three catchers, if you will, on the active roster. Rushing right now is relegated to just pinch hitting duties, but Fadush is the backup and you got Will Smith activated as well.
Speaker 1: So we'll see.
Speaker 2: Whether or not Rortvitz clears waivers and the Dodgers can bring him back into the organization. But They're pretty covered right now, and they must feel very confident that Dalton Rushing has a really good shot of coming back to catch this year. Also, I know we went over this for the last three or four shows on Dodger Talk. I tried to temper your expectations. People were getting your hopes up high that it was going to be James Tibbs or even a bigger long shot, Josue DiPaola being called up.
Speaker 1: That was.
Speaker 2: Not going to be the move the Dodgers made today. Instead, they called up Alex Freeland, who is going to get a lot of time again at second base because the Dodgers are going to split time for center field between Kike Hernandez and Tommy Edmund. I was a big proponent of more Kike in center field, more time for Tommy Edmund in center field. So that's a pretty good platoon. And once you get into October... I don't see any reason why Miguel Rojas, no matter if it's a righty or lefty, shouldn't get more time at second base because obviously his track record speaks for itself and he gives you great defense. He's a savvy veteran that knows his role. So for right now, Alex Freeland's going to get a lot of time. starting at second base against righties. Rojas this year has hit 210 against righties, 100 points higher against lefties. But when the postseason rolls around, that's going to be a part of the equation that I'm sure Dave Roberts is going to take into account. 866-987-2570 is the phone number. Dodgers fall to the Cardinals tonight, 13-8. Tommy Edmond had three hits against his former team. Mookie Betts has shown some signs of life in his last 11 games, hitting.
Speaker 1: 324 tonight.
Speaker 2: He was two for four with a gift, three-run double in the third inning, but he'll take it, finish with four RBIs tonight, but it wasn't enough. We're going to take a timeout here on Dodger Talk. When we come back, we'll check in with Jose Mota after the Dodgers fall to the Cardinals tonight, 13-8 on 570 LA Sports.
Speaker 1: Dodgers fans, this is Mookie Betts.
Speaker 6: You're listening to the home of the back-to-back world.
Speaker 3: Champion Dodgers on AM570 LA Sports.
Speaker 2: David Basset, live at Uniqlo Field at Dodger Stadium after the Dodgers fall to the Cardinals tonight, 13-8.
Speaker 1: Michael McGreevey, the winning pitcher. Eric Lauer, the losing pitcher.
Speaker 2: St. Louis tonight hit five home runs and scored 13 runs. The 13 runs scored by the Cardinals is most by any Cardinals team in their franchise history in a single game at Dodger Stadium. We have not taken any phone calls tonight on Dodger Talk. Just want to let you know that we are having some phone issues. Can't even dial out to talk to our guy, Jose Mota. So a little technical issues. It's crazy how I heart, you know, it's a calling show and the phones seem to go out once a year around this time. And it's not because the Dodgers lost. I know many of you are suspicious and conspiracy theorists out there. It's not because the Dodgers lost 13-8. You know how much I would love to talk to Ken from Newport Beach tonight. Daniels Jewelers presents the home run forecast. For your chance to win a $ 50 Daniels Jewelers gift card, visit am570lasports. com, use the keyword home run, and to your name you could win Daniels Jewelers' own the dream. Hey, coming into the game tonight, I stumbled upon this earlier today. Freddie Freeman, we went through this on Sunday. He hit his 579th career double, which allowed him to pass Wade Boggs on that list. Next up is Robin Yount, five away from passing. The Taft High star who was drafted out of there at 18 years old. But here's something else lost in all of that. Freddie Freeman. is only five extra base hits away from a thousand in his career. 995 extra base hits in his career. Five away for a thousand career extra base hits. And you may say, you know, what's the big deal about that? Well, not too many players in baseball history have ever collected a thousand extra base hits in their career. In fact, out of all the thousands of players that have come through Major League Baseball, only 39 players have ever had 1,000 career extra base hits. Freddie Freeman, whether it's a home run, a double, or maybe a triple, he has 34 triples.
Speaker 1: It could be a triple.
Speaker 2: But any combination of extra base hits, five away from 1,000, Freddie Freeman would become just the 40th player in baseball history.
Speaker 1: To have 1,000 extra base hits.
Speaker 2: Tonight, Freddie Freeman had a couple of really good at-bats. They did not translate to extra base hits, but he was 0 for 2 tonight with a walk and extended at-bats against Michael McGreevy. So, five away from a thousand career extra base hits. And it's just a reminder.
Speaker 1: Of what we're watching.
Speaker 2: We're watching a future Hall of Famer come through these career milestones wearing a Dodger uniform. And I got to tell you, when we were in Atlanta this last trip, it's not the same as it was even a couple of years ago at Freddie Freeman going back there. Now, the first night, he got a lot of love. There was not a standing ovation, but there was an ovation. So that was nice, but it wasn't extended. He wasn't stepping out of the batter's box for that. And then the next two nights, it was barely anything, which goes back to now the question about not if Freddie Freeman's going to the hall of fame, but when he does go to the hall of fame, will he be wearing a Dodger cap or a Braves cap or no logo? Now I'm by Of course, I would want Freddie Freeman to wear the LA logo on his plaque in Cooperstown. His career signature moments are with the Dodgers and the only player in baseball history to have walk-off home runs in World Series games. Of course, game one, the walk-off Grand Slam, and then last year, the 18-inning walk-off home run. So I know he spent the majority of his career with the Braves, but a lot of career signature moments with the Dodgers, and of course, these milestones that he's going to be coming across in still very.
Speaker 1: very good.
Speaker 2: Seasons for Freddie Freeman, who even after going 0-2 tonight is hitting. 303 with an. 836 OPS. And by the way, those players, those 39 players that collected 1,000 extra base hits in their career, 29 of them are in the Hall of Fame. So Freddie Freeman will be on his way to Cooperstown as well. Speaking of all this road trips talk and everything, can you believe when we had Dino Ebel come in the booth and take phone calls? That night, iHeart had the phone system working, thankfully. But when Dino Ebel came up to the booth in Atlanta, we promoted it and recapped it on AM570' s Instagram page, my Instagram page, at OfficiallyVassay. And Alex Vessia is somewhat active on Instagram with the people he follows. And can you believe Vessia's like, hey, I saw that thing with you and Dino Ebel. You do a radio show? Vessia, you've been on the Dodgers for six years. I've been around you every single day. Do you think I'm down in the clubhouse just for your amusement, begging you for an interview every other day? No, we do a radio show, a highlight radio show. and then a call-in radio show when the phones are working. Tonight, if Vessia was up here taking phone calls, this would be completely embarrassing. But yes, I do a call-in talk show, even on off days, like last night at 7 o'clock. Sheesh, what do these guys think? Even Lauer, he's like, I asked Lauer, do you know what I do? Yeah, you talk into a microphone. Yes, technically that's true, but not just in the clubhouse. after and before games. I actually do a radio show. Lauer, Freddie Freeman knows I do this show. Alex call knows I do this show. I would venture to say 50% of that clubhouse knows what I do. I'm not, I'm not just there for their amusement, but that's a, that's for another night. And who knows, you know, that opened the door for me to tell Alex Vessia, Hey, would you like to come up and take some phone calls from the fans?
Speaker 1: Vessia?
Speaker 2: I mean, he is a free agent at the end of the year. You know, it's been six years. You might want to come up before, you know, things happen at the end of the year.
Speaker 1: Good or bad. You never know.
Speaker 2: Hey, speaking of the Dodger bullpen and lefties, the Dodgers acquired an underrate under the radar move at the trade deadline. Obviously, Scooble was the big one, but they also acquired Chris Bubik from the the Kansas City Royals, who was when he's healthy, he's really good. And the Dodgers are trying to get him healthy again. And tonight, he pitched a scoreless inning of relief for Oklahoma City with two strikeouts. He's a very interesting arm. Very, very interesting arm for the Dodgers going down the stretch in September. And he's very talented. When he's healthy, he's really good. He was actually teammates with Tommy Edmond and Nico Horner at Stanford.
Speaker 1: Yes, another Stanford man. on the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: So Tommy Edmond, Nico Horner, Chris Bubik, they were all teammates at Stanford as well. So that is a guy that the Dodgers took a flyer on, a buy low, high ceiling type of guy. And tonight, he looked pretty good from the highlights I saw. Scoreless inning of relief with two strikeouts. So that's another interesting arm for the Dodgers going into September. Now, I know many of you are freaking out, and if the phones were working, you would be freaking out right now on the radio. But you can tweet at me at TheRealUnderscoreDV. My phone is working. I'm not giving out my cell number, but you could tweet at me, and maybe I'll read some of the freak-out comments. But just wanted to let you know, and if you called in and be like, David, how could the Dodgers lose 13-8? When are they going to wake up? There's only 24 games left. See, that sounds like you, right? You'd be freaking out. I'd be like, you know what? It wasn't a good showing at home. Yes, you would like to come back to start a nine-game homestand, and I know they're playing a soft schedule to begin the season, but Tomorrow, the Dodgers have Yamamoto on the mound. The Cardinals are throwing a bullpen game. The Dodgers should win that game. If the Dodgers lose that game tomorrow night, I'm walking back home. I'll walk straight to Monty's in Woodland Hills if the Dodgers lose tomorrow night from here.
Speaker 1: How about that?
Speaker 2: That's how confident I am the Dodgers are winning that game tomorrow. And then on Thursday, my new guy, Tarek Scooble, Scoob, is going to be on the mound on Thursday for the Dodgers against the Cardinals.
Speaker 1: Come on.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm feeling pretty good about the Dodgers winning the next two games. And then you got the Nationals coming to town. And by the way, the Braves are proving my point for me. Since the Dodgers left Atlanta, the Braves have not been as good as they were in those three games against the Dodgers. In fact, they have lost the first two games, or they lost yesterday to the Giants, and then they lost today to the Nationals. So I'm trying to tell you things guys get up for the Dodgers. Anyway, that's the good news because the Braves lost. So the Dodgers now are still one game ahead of Atlanta for the number two seed in the postseason picture in.
Speaker 1: The national league.
Speaker 2: And as you know, I'm a big advocate for the Dodgers to get that number two seed and have home field advantage. And it would behoove the Dodgers to, to win as many of these last 24 games. Because if you remember last year, they got to the world series and the blue Jays were one game better than.
Speaker 1: The Dodgers last year.
Speaker 2: And, uh, that prevented the Dodgers from not only opening the world series at Dodger stadium, but also having game six and seven in LA, instead of having to go all the way back to Toronto. And as everybody has been shoving down our throats for the last six weeks, the Dodgers are.
Speaker 1: An older team.
Speaker 2: You don't want to have to travel as much as they did last year. So I would love for the Dodgers to just have their, you know, guys only team only five days off at the stadium. And then, not have to play those two wild card games after one day off of the regular season and not have to travel to Atlanta possibly to open up the NLDS. It would be great for them to be waiting at home for either San Diego or Atlanta, because if for some reason San Diego were to beat the Braves, that would mean San Diego is coming all the way back from Atlanta and to play the Dodgers in a best-of-five series, and I would imagine Michael King would only be able to pitch once in a best-of-five series as well.
Speaker 1: So for all those reasons, I.
Speaker 2: Hope the players, including Alex Vessia, who I hope now is very aware that I do a radio show after every game. That's why I stay here after a 13-8 loss to the Cardinals. If I was not doing a post-game radio show, Vessia, I would be.
Speaker 1: Home by now.
Speaker 2: Somebody let him know what I do for a living. Please let half those guys know what I do for a living. I'm not just their punching bag. All right, tomorrow we'll be back for another Dodger talk after the game.
Speaker 1: That's my job.
Speaker 2: Um, our coverage begins at six o'clock with first pitch at seven, 10, maybe the phones will be working. So I hope that that's the case because this is a call-in show. Having the phones work actually help. If the phones went down during Rogan and Rodney, nobody would notice, but on Dodger talk, they notice. Yamamoto's on the mound tomorrow, going up against the Cardinals bullpen. I promise you, it'll be better tomorrow night, not only the show, but also the result.
Speaker 1: Of the game.
Speaker 2: Thanks to Colin Yee, who is trying to bang the phone down, reboot, you know, all that stuff. It didn't work, Colin, so good effort. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here, who is my audience. I appreciate you laughing at my sarcastic jokes that are just swinging and missing all night long. And thanks to you for listening. Like I said, I appreciate you listening. I'm sorry you couldn't call in to vent your frustrations tonight, but I'll be back tomorrow, and the Dodgers will win tomorrow. And if you want to carry over your frustrations from tonight to tomorrow, you know, ugh. There is that 24-hour rule on a talk show. You know, I don't like to look back. I like to move forward. So I'll allow some of those to come through, all right? I'll refund those calls. Once again, the final score tonight, the Dodgers fall to the Cardinals 13 to eight.
Speaker 1: Have a great rest of your night. See ya.