Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: We are in Philadelphia.
Speaker 1: It is steamy, it is going to rain, but we're with Freddie Freeman in a nice, air conditioned Dodger clubhouse on a beautiful leather couch that was here when I first started with the team at twenty twelve.
Speaker 2: Freddie, thanks a lot for the hospitality.
Speaker 3: Though. It's good to be here. I like that. I think it's been here since I've been here too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've been here a little bit longer than I have, Freddie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've been in this clubouse a lot and it hasn't changed.
Speaker 2: What's your record for cheese steaks? I got to ask you that right away.
Speaker 4: Okay, so I didn't actually start eating the cheese steaks until about three years in. Yeah, I had a different little diet I did, and I finally got on it. John a chicken and cheese and I put a one sauce on it. It's a little different than most guys, but I no, I'd probably like a one and a half because I don't like to play games full. I don't like the full feeling, blood feelings, so I don't really eat that much.
Speaker 2: Only closers usually rush.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I see that.
Speaker 4: I like to look at the stats every single time we come in town and see who's doing it. Someone has like ten and a half or something one day, which is nuts. So I don't think it can be a player playing doing that, but it's fun to see who can do the most.
Speaker 2: You faced a lot of pitchers in your career.
Speaker 1: You remember the Big Show Aaron Harang for a long time, he had the record.
Speaker 4: Here's a teammate of mine. Not surprising, Yeah, yeah, Aaron, Yeah, that is not surprising that you could eat a lot. I just actually just saw him in spring training here, so that's kind of funny. He's a great guy, a great teammate, So I'm not surprising that can eat a lot of stakes either.
Speaker 1: Freddie I saw during the All Star break you have a very regimented routine, your own you know, tailored routine. Twelve minutes before first pitch you swing for the last time. Where did that routine come from?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: You know, it just kind of evolved over time. As you get older, you get to hit a little later before the game, and just kind of how it all kind of planned out. I hit three times a day the last time is usually about twelve minutes for the game. I liked it. That's just kind of how it is. I'm very My whole day is usually planned out by the time I wake up, so things go hey wire. You can even ask my wife. I don't like things going haywire. So I try and stick to e routine every single day. Every day be the same, and it just kind of helps you stay in line.
Speaker 1: This is a very Kurshaw like start day routine, but it's every day for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, every day is the same. I try and treat every day the same, nothing different. It's worked for a long time, so I don't want to change it.
Speaker 1: So when you say twelve minutes, twelve minutes right on the dot, not twelve minutes and one second.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I.
Speaker 4: Leave my if we're at home per seven and ten game, I usually leave my locker at six fifty three to walk to the cage. Andy's usually hitting during that time, so we have a perfect kind of He finishes and I'll start hitting, usually about six fifty eight, so kind of how it goes. Obviously a different time different you know, different cities like tonight six forty, so things are a little different.
Speaker 3: When you hit first.
Speaker 4: There's always little things where you can you kind of have variables, but usually at home it's six fifty eight walking at my locker in six fifty three.
Speaker 1: You've been through your share of rain to lays too, So how does that affect the whole thing?
Speaker 4: More of like like, right after I get done talking to you, I'll go hit, we'll do a hitters meeting. I'll probably hit again, and then I'll kind of just wait out and see if there's any delays or anything like that, and I'll wait for the third time to be before the game. It's nothing really changes. I just kind of try and not let things get out of line. But I want to get my two times in before that third time before the game.
Speaker 1: Freddie Freeman is our guest. I had a first pitch in Philadelphia. We haven't talked since you played those three games at Yankee Stadium, first time going back there since winning the World Series in Game five? What was it like for you the first time you stepped out on the field.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, nothing nothing different. You were going to say that, Yeah, nothing really changed. Every game, every city trying and treat the same. It's no different. That was two years ago. If people were different teams, different people on the teams.
Speaker 3: Different environments.
Speaker 4: So if you're thinking about something that happened two years ago, it's probably not going to be the best bet. But everything was the same for me.
Speaker 1: Well, the fans there didn't forget there were a lot of booze for Freddy.
Speaker 4: That's okay. That means something could happened a couple of years ago for us.
Speaker 1: This year, as you guys get closer to the finish line, what do you believe is the biggest key to your success to not let down?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, obviously we've been playing really good baseball. We've had a lot of guys hurt throughout the course of the year. A lot of young guys have stepped up massive massive beings about Robuski, will Client stepped up to a huge thing. You have all these young position players getting chances, but you have a few guys starting to come back and they're itching to come back. That can give a real boost to the team to the last couple of months. You want to play good going into the playoffs. We all know how it works in the playoffs. You just got to be hot at the right time. So there's no let up.
Speaker 3: We know what we have.
Speaker 4: What the task at hand is, you got to play good going into October, and that's what we're focused on.
Speaker 1: You know about the difference between being experienced and knowing how to win. How much of this group knowing how to win will lend itself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's it's big.
Speaker 4: I mean, there's so many different scenario situations that've come up.
Speaker 3: Throughout the course of the year.
Speaker 4: It's I think this whole clubhouse has seen every single situation, been through, every single situation, have failed at the times that succeeded, So you know how to handle all those variables that come so you know, nothing gets too big. And we're two and five of our last game in last seven games and you walk in here and you won't even know it. So we got a lot of guys that have been through it know how to do it. Don't let things get out of control. We just stay on the right path through our same things and we know we're good. So things are gonna to me turn our way.
Speaker 2: All right, Freddie? Before I back out of here.
Speaker 1: Yesterday, another one of those great Freddie viral moments, you and JT. Realmodle awkwardly looking down at the baseball and awkwardly almost knocking heads to grab it.
Speaker 2: What how did that all transpire? What was said between each other?
Speaker 4: Now than JT and I have a really good relationship. We've been been friends for a long time, obviously, played against each other for a long time and being in the NLS for a long time. So that one went to the ball just went straight down, and it was more of the It was more of just looking at each other and just kind of laughing that I was hit a ball straight down and didn't go anywhere, and then we just kind of looked at each other.
Speaker 3: I was gonna pick it up.
Speaker 4: Then he picked it up, and just you know, a fun moment throughout the course of the seasons. That always seems to happen for me for some reason. That's happens when you singing to change up that almost hits you. But I know it was fun, and baseball must be fun, trying to have fun during the moment, and some things like that happen sometimes.
Speaker 1: Well, thanks again for the time, really appreciate it. You know how much we left talking to you. But I guarantee you this. We will not speak before a game until the end of the regular season.
Speaker 2: How about that deal?
Speaker 3: You we're not going to talk again.
Speaker 1: I don't feel I feel like, you know, I feel like we've had our are run during the regular season.
Speaker 2: I need to let you breathe.
Speaker 4: Freddy, Okay, that sounds good. Well, if you need anybody, I'll be here if you need help.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, okay, I'll take one mulligan.
Speaker 3: How about that one mulligan. I'll give it to you.
Speaker 2: Thank you, appreciate it.