Speaker 1: Good morning. How's everybody out there and in here? This is Let's Garden with Scott Berlin. I am Scott, and I am joined today by two incredible horticulturists, guys that can answer any question. I hope you call with your questions because they can answer it like nobody else can. Your Your chance of getting a perfect answer is one with these guys.
Speaker 2: No pressure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anybody else, it's you know, the other guests I bring on. It's in the upper nine. But these guys are one hundred percent. And I am I am glad you're both here, Jim or I'm sorry, John Butcher, John Butcher, Madison Tree Care and Landscape. How's it going, Scott, I got no sleep last night. We'll see how it goes.
Speaker 2: We'll get you through it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I feel like I'm already sounding like a lunatic, but that's probably normal anyway, normal. And I'm with Steve Foltz, my boss, a director of horticulture at the Cincinnati Botanical Garden and Zoo.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Good morning, Scott, Good morning, John morning.
Speaker 1: Steve, Good morning, John boy. Yes, oh man, memories of that so man. It has been a rainy couple of days at my house at least I got well over three inches yesterday and it poured, it came down hard. There was lightning that made me say things I'm not proud of.
Speaker 2: It's been really good for the plants. The rain nice, timely all summer, no real drought stress. April was probably the only month this year where I felt any pressure.
Speaker 1: Ironically, Yeah, crazy right. My lawn looks just the deepest green. And you know I don't do anything all the weeds, yeah, basically, yeah, yeah, all the other stuff. Yeah, just it's a mixed bag. Man.
Speaker 2: I love your lawn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm trying to feed the pollinators with my lawn seating Steve, how is your lawn?
Speaker 3: We're looking, Oh it's green, it's green. That's all our care.
Speaker 1: Then yeah, yeah, we'll talk a little bit more about that. I've got a point I want to make a little later in the show, and it'll be an interesting point I think how that goes later on. We will have a really cool guest, Charlie Frank from the Cincinni Reds Foundation, will be on the Every year they do a community makeover and usually a challenge part of town and they fix up ball fields and rec centers and over the past what eight years ten years now, the Zoo has been on board helping him out along with other leaders in the community and adding a horticultural component.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Charlie's one of my favorite people. He is just a phenomenal human being and I can't wait to talk to him today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've only talked to him just a little bit, but when I have and when I've heard him speak, I agree with you. The impression is so good and what the work they're doing is absolutely amazing. So looking forward to that conversation for sure. Me I'll introduce myself. I'm manager of Botanical Garden Outreach at this Insane Potanical Garden and Zoo. Certified Arborist Ogia, Ohio Green Industry Association, Landscape Technician, Award winning writer. I got a new award just a few weeks ago. There you go, silver medal from Garden com International for one of my columns It could go gold. They had this weird thing where they give you a silver medal first and then say, hey, come to the dinner in Utah or something, you know two months later and see if you had a gold and uh that weekend. I went one time. It was a lot of fun, but uh, every time it coincides with our Plant Trials Day weekend so makes it difficult, which is great.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you're staying for the Plant Trials Day. Yeah, since you run it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would think here's the keys you guys. Uh, you know, was.
Speaker 2: This a plea for you to ask Steve to let you off on the radio. Is that what that would just.
Speaker 1: Happening to put him on the spot. Yeah, yeah, no pressure, Steve, no pressure, No, no, it was not. I there's nothing I would rather do than be yet since an botanical garden or since a zoo, potanical gardening, whichever way you want to say it. For Plant Trials Day, that's something I really enjoy doing. In fact, we've got great speakers this year. I wouldn't miss it for the world. Jeff Epping, Brie, Arthur, Carrie Mendez, a guy named Kevin Vaughan who is a plant breeder from Oregon or Washington somewhere out that way. And he does some cool work. And I don't know, you know, if he's a great speaker or not, but I know his work is cool and I'm looking forward to hearing his talk and hanging out with him. A little bit.
Speaker 2: You always put such interesting people together. It's always always a wind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it's a little bit of an art form. It's getting the tried and true, the ones you know who are going to be great, and then taking a little bit of a gamble on others that seem interesting that you haven't heard before. And every now and then you know that technical guy that you know isn't going to be a great speaker, but his information is so good you got to get him in, so you kind of balance it between those things and usually it turns out pretty good.
Speaker 3: And for those of you who don't know, Scott runs three symposiums at the Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden on horticulture, ones on plant trials, another's the Native Plant Symposium, and the third is Sustainable Plants and Landscapes. And these are sold out for the last what seventeen, yeah, three or four years at least yea And he brings people from all over the country into the greater Cincinnati area, not just to give a talk at the Zoo in front of a highly respected group of professionals in the audience, but it brings them to the Zoo to see a little bit about what we do and how we do it, and that has had such an impact in the industry for the zoo. I can't thank Scott enough for putting that together and being so creative with the speakers, and just like you know, this program, he always has some interesting speakers on so.
Speaker 1: Dig into the well of past speakers to be guests on this show quite often, so it's symbiotic for sure. But I just want to say hello to all the folks out there on Facebook with in the Garden that Ron rothis runs and again we're looking for your calls today eight hundred eight two three eight two five five. Give us a shout with anything you want to ask us. We're going to go ahead and take our first break, and when we come back, we'll get into the National Days of That's something we always start the day with the show with. And yeah, National Days of why because they're there. We'll be right back.
Speaker 4: Hey, if your graded script paint is a smarter way reach for Dumond's Smart Strip advanced paint remover. It's available in a non aerosol spray powered by advanced bag on valve technology. This powerful water based formula cuts from multiple layers of latex acrylic oil based paints, varnishes and stains one application. Best of all, it's non flammable and free from harsh chemicals. It's ideal for indoor outdoor projects. Smart Strip Advance non aerosol spray is available at participating Sherwin Williams and Do it Best retailers or Dumondglobal dot com. If you're dealing with large surfaces and hard to reach outdoor stains, Wet and Forget Max's designed to handle the tougher stuff. Gary Salvin here. Wet and Forget Max is built for a heavier build up, so it's great for roofs, second story sighting, large driveways and other hard to clean surfaces. It's more concentrated for bigger, more challenging jobs. And now it's the same easy process with Wet and Forgets your sprayed on. No scrubbing, no rinsing, no get yours today, Home Depot Lows, Walmart, Amazon and Ace hardware. That's Wet and Forget Max. I'm unplugged and stop covering up odors. Gary Solvent here those plugins and sprays, you're just smelling odor plus fragrance Odor Exit Eliminator is natural. It removes odors at to source so you can actually breathe fresh, clean air, pet accidents, gasoline on your hands, even skunk spray. Odor Exit handles it safe, non toxic, and it works. So unplug the fake, breathe the real with Odor Exit Eliminator. Get oto Exit Eliminator today at odor exit dot com for the best pricing and available deals. Got humid stuffy air, smell, musty odors as you head down to the basement. Humidity feeds mildew odors. Mold increases allergens in the air. The Easy Breathe Ventilation System will It tackles this problem by removing excess moisture, introducing dryer, healthier air, no buckets, stampty, no filters to change, just cleaner, dryer air. Act now received two hundred and fifty dollars off plus two free EUMDA stats. With an Easy Breathe purchase call eight six six eight two two seventy three twenty eight or visit easybreed dot com today.
Speaker 1: And we're back. We're back. I'm Scott, John's across from me, Steve is next to him, and we are going to talk horticulture. But before we do, we're going to roll through the national days of for the month of August, the week of whatever day this is the eighth, and the days this week? And why do we do that? Because they're there? And again, how would you run your life if you didn't know what the national day of was when you got up in the morning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good question.
Speaker 3: So what is it today?
Speaker 1: Well, well, we'll start with the month. Oh and then yeah, I have a process here.
Speaker 2: What month is it?
Speaker 1: This is August?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 1: Can you believe that?
Speaker 2: I know?
Speaker 1: This year is almost well, it's more over than it's not, which blows my mind. I'm still writing twenty twenty six on my checks, as if I've written a check in the last two years or so. But anyway, So August national month of back to School month, National back to School.
Speaker 2: Month, makes sense, makes sense.
Speaker 1: It is also International Peace Month, Happiness Happens Month, and Wellness Month. And I keep thinking, there's no coincidence here these all, Matt, because it's back to school month. Of course that's going to lead to peace, happiness and wellness. Am I right?
Speaker 2: Your kids are back at school, everybody's feeling.
Speaker 1: Return to order.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's fair.
Speaker 1: Sandwich Month National Sandwich Month. Romance Awareness Month and then Family followed by Family Fun Month. And I'm like, yeah, first one and then the other. Are we right? We get it?
Speaker 2: What do Yeah? That's fair. I was going to ask what do we think Romance Awareness Month means? But you answered it right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess. Yeah, it's open open to discussion, you know. But you know, people can use their imagination. We don't have to answer everything.
Speaker 2: We're horticultures.
Speaker 1: We're horticultures. Not Yeah, why am I doing this? It's Crayon Collection Month and then National Dog Month. And I think I mentioned this last week, but it's so good I have to mention it again. We had a dog eat a box crayons ones. And the next week was pure technic color I Examine Month, hair Loss Awareness Month, and Water Quality Month. That's the end of the month. Day months of for August. This week is Twins Day weekend. I'm a twin all right, that's right, you are. I've got twins. Yeah, yeah, you do have twins. I'm married to a twin.
Speaker 2: Wow, we're all kind of twin people. Yeah, we should buy a lottery ticket obviously. Uh.
Speaker 1: It's National Bargain Hunting Week and Hobo Week and kool a days week. None of those really appealed to me all that much.
Speaker 2: Hobo is a term that you don't really hear anymore. I don't know, I don't I think you should be careful.
Speaker 1: You just get lumped in with you might get might get kick off the radio for you. But that was speaking of romance. That was kind of a romantic image, the hobo along the railroad tracks, sitting there with a tin kettle with coffee and.
Speaker 2: The stick with a knapsack on the back of it.
Speaker 1: Exactly telling stories of immense wisdom even though they were hoboes.
Speaker 2: Apparently I had an uncle that used to jump on trains and a great great uncle and he would ride all over the country and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fun to try one time, you know, to see where you land. I'd probably wind up, you know, on you know, some train that goes to a coal mine or something.
Speaker 2: But don't do it over the plant trial days.
Speaker 1: He said, all right, finally to today, Saturday, August eighth, it's National Happiness Day. So it's Happiness month and Happiness Day, pickleball day. You guys started pickleball?
Speaker 4: You do?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's the appeal to that? I've never really asked anybody. Why it's caught on so.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know why it's so big. But for me, anything moving the body and moving your feet is good for the brain. That for great for camaraderie, meeting people. If you're just in a place in your life where you're looking to establish new relationships, I think it's a great way.
Speaker 3: Because you've run out of all your old friends.
Speaker 2: You Well, that happens often to me. I got to start new every five years. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sneak some zucchini into your neighbor's porch day.
Speaker 2: That doesn't sound like sounds like you get good shot. You could get into trouble.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you could a good shot.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: You know, there's your body lying next to a couple of zucchinis. You know, not a pretty image. It tells a story. Yeah, it's not a good story. Though. It's national What a Burger Day. We don't have those here in Cincinnati. I know they're more out west.
Speaker 2: I believe never had one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean neither National Dollar Day commemorates the date that Congress unanimously chose the dollar as the official unit for American money. Can you guys remember in your lifetime at this point when the last time Congress voted unanimously for anything.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that was possible.
Speaker 1: I didn't either. I thought somebody had to raise hell and you know Abstein or you know it just but it's good. It's good that it happened at least one time. Moki Day that is apparently a sweet, chewy Japanese rice cake. Huh frozen Custer Day, Now, that's something I know and love. Global Sleep under the Stars night, good for hoboes good. Yeah. And CBD Day, So CBD, as we know.
Speaker 2: Cures everything, everything everything.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow Sunday, August ninth, Book Lover's Day, Spirit of forty five Day, which honors our Greatest Generation, VEEP Day, which recognizes the day Vice President Gerald Ford took office when Nixon resigned, and celebrates the US Presidential Success Plan. Something to be very proud of in this country is that we can have leaders change over peacefully.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Yea passion fruit Day and Rice Pudding Day. Rice pudding is like my favorite thing in the world.
Speaker 2: That's a little horticulture passion fruit. Yes, you work horticulture in do you like those plants? They're a little invasive, But.
Speaker 1: Steve, this is yours.
Speaker 3: Rice pudding.
Speaker 1: No great reflection. Yeah, what are you thinking of passion fruit vine right now?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: If you saw one of our gardens, you'd you'd question whether you ever want a plant? Passion vine?
Speaker 1: But what is it about? One hundred feet of fence line ate up and every shrub and tree along.
Speaker 3: With it, and we only put in one?
Speaker 1: Is that right?
Speaker 2: I was wondering the flowers, the prettiest flowers they are. Yeah, it's edible.
Speaker 3: And the kids this time of year that come back to school, you see the flower and the fruit, So it's it's worth the pain.
Speaker 2: But maybe not if you if you put it in a container, will it spread.
Speaker 3: As long as that containers not in the ground. H Yeah, it'll it'll, it'll pop up.
Speaker 1: Someone was mentioning that they thought some of that along that vine or that fence line started from seed, because there's variation in the leaves and the flowers a little bit. It's possible. Yeah, yeah, it's you know, it's like, what am I thinking? Pipe vine? If you've got a place like on a tree line or out in the back forty where you can put that in and let it be what it wants to be, it's a great plant. If you're trying to put it in your little garden. Yeah, good life.
Speaker 2: I think you got to have a good, good container program if you're going to consider it for sure and pull the fruit that way. You know. Yeah, I didn't. I didn't know the fruit would actually seed though. That's interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's supposedly it'll, but I've never caught it at exactly the right time because it turns into like a dry husk really fast.
Speaker 2: I've eaten it. It's like a pomegranate kind of thing. Yeah, to pick it apart, lots of seeds.
Speaker 1: One of these years, I'll time it right. Monday, August tenth, Lazy Day. I can get into that, especially on a Monday, especially on a Monday when I didn't sleep at all on Friday night. So you know, maybe on Saturday and Sunday will be lazy days too. S'mor's Day, Connecticut Day, and here's a good one. Shapewear Day, August tenth to honor the history, evolution, and confidence boosting benefits of modern Foundation garments. Modern Foundational Garments founded in twenty seventeen. This day highlights how far undergarments have come from the rigid historical corsets. To today's comfortable, breathable and versatile body shaping pieces. I know I really enjoy my new course. It much better than the old kind.
Speaker 2: It looks good on you today.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, we uh we uh will return here in a few minutes. When we do, we'll pick up on Tuesday, August eleventh, finish out the National Days of and probably talk some horticulture. Stay tuned well.
Speaker 5: I've been recommending Blackjack driveway steelers for years, and here's some great news. The Blackjack ten year Sealer drive BAX one thousand features accelerated drying time in curing in cooler temperatures. Drive Max one thousand ads curb appeal delivering a light, new black finish and as you're a thane enhanced for the longest life. Drive Max one thousand available at Low's Home Depot, True Value ace in your local hardware store. Visit Blackjack Codings dot com for more information. Blackjack protecting driveways for over one hundred years. Hey homeowners, ever wished you had a plumbing expert right in your pocket? It's Gary Salivan for Rotor Ruter plumbing and water clean up. Let me introduce you to Rotor Uter's mobile app. Your Ultimate plumbing Companion. You can access DIY videos, frequently ask questions and exclusive offers. You can also track your service systory and schedule all appointments, all from one place.
Speaker 6: Don't wait. Download the Rotor Router Mobile app today from the App Store, Google Play or from rotoraruter dot com.
Speaker 1: And welcome back. I'm Scott Berlin. You're listening to That's Garden with Scott Berlin, and I'm here with Steve Foltz, my boss, greatest man ever, director of Horticulture at the Cincinnati Botanical Garden and Zoo, and John Butcher, CEO of Madison Tree Care and Landscape here in Cincinnati. Again. Good morning to you guys, and thanks for being here.
Speaker 2: Good morning, thank you.
Speaker 1: Should I continue these days of or should we just not do them?
Speaker 2: They're interesting?
Speaker 1: They are interesting. Yeah, okay, we'll continue. So Tuesday, August eleventh, Sons and Daughters Day. Now you have an I do. I have two sons, but you have sons and daughters daughter. Well, enjoy that day that's on Tuesday. Round everybody up and have a good family feast and all kinds of fun.
Speaker 2: I'm going to be an empty nester in another couple of weeks he's going away.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, even more reason for pickleball on some socializing.
Speaker 2: And to get together and have this little dinner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, very good. Yeah, congratulations on that.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: It's going to Ohio State, right, oh you?
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Tuesday's also Presidential Joke Day, and it's like what day is in a presidential joke day? I mean, going back a million years, it's every day is a presidential joke day. If you can't laugh at the president, who can you laugh at?
Speaker 2: Good question?
Speaker 1: You know, so many steps up and says I want to be president. Great. I hope you do a good job, but I'm gonna laugh at you.
Speaker 2: Some of them take it better than others.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the sand Day could be fun. My granddaughter has a nice little sandbox. Raspberry Day and Kinetic Sand Day. I don't know what it is about Tuesday, August eleventh and sand but two different sand days. I didn't know what kinetic sand was. You do, you guys know? It's some kind of toy.
Speaker 2: It's a pretty magnetic or something like.
Speaker 1: It celebrates the mouldiple squeezable sand that never dries out. So yeah, I think it's something kids can play with and absorb. You know, possibly germs and chemicals. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Raspberry's are horticulture. That's another.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and so good, delicious, pretty easy to grow, pretty easy to grow. Yeah. Wednesday, August twelfth, Middle child Day. I think middle childs have it pretty I was the oldest, and that's like no good that. I would never recommend anybody to have an oldest.
Speaker 2: Child, no kids at all.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well, okay, it doesn't work good. But the middle kid sneaks, spy and of course, Steve, you're the baby. I'm the youngest, and they don't even know where you are, what you're doing, and don't care. They're just like they've been broken down by all the older kids.
Speaker 3: You better believe it. That is so true.
Speaker 2: I think you need older brothers like mine before you make your comment about a middle kid sneaking by ooh ooh, that sounds loaded.
Speaker 6: It is.
Speaker 1: And Wednesday is also Julian FRI's Day. Thursday August thirteenth, it's an expensive day of day is Prosecco day and Filet mignon day, So save up and then do Thursday August.
Speaker 2: Thirteenth, Right, it's a filet mignon and little prosecco.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the best day I've heard so far.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure, you can argue with that.
Speaker 2: I'll let you have my prosecco.
Speaker 1: Oh that's right, you're not you're not drinking.
Speaker 2: No, I'll have Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's right. You drink wine, but not prosecco.
Speaker 2: Right, it's a little too sweet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is pretty sweet. And some people the bubbles don't agree with them. So I can drink anything you can and do I will. That might be a fair deal. Finally, now rounding it up, Friday, August fourteenth, Cream Sickle Day and Navajo Code Talker's Day. And I think the story of the Navajo code doctors was pretty darn cool. Uh do you are you familiar?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 2: I don't know about this.
Speaker 1: Oh well, these these were Navajo tribe folks during World War Two in the army and when the Army needed to communicate across radio and they knew that it could be heard by the Japanese. I think this is almost always in the Pacific. It might have been in the Atlantic theater also, Uh, these Navajo would just talk back and forth in Navajo and there is no way either Japan or anybody in Japan or Germany. We're gonna know what language it was, or have a translate, you know, handy translator for navajo in Germany. Idea, Yeah, really cool one. The story is really neat. If you have a chance to look it up sometime.
Speaker 2: You ow to do it, all right. Finally to horticulture.
Speaker 1: You guys, ready, ready, ready, it's time for We need a drum roll or something. Time for Danny. Do you have a drum roll? Oh? Man, bad timing. The computer is rebooting. Maybe next time. Anyway, it is time for favorite plants right now, and uh I'll start it just to break the ice a little bit. It's not fair to make a guest start it, although I've done that in the past. Let's see here, I'm going to mention a weird one and it's not even the greatest garden plant ever, but I just love it because the flower is so cool. Compania lastrum americanam and I don't even know the common name for it, but it's sort of a weedy thing that looks kind of like that bachelor's button that goes alongside the road, and it has sort of a compania like flower that's just a little bit more complex and really really cool, great blue collar too, So that's kind of out of the blue. I don't recommend anybody growing unless you have a weedy spot. Is a native you know, you can fit it into a very natural garden fairly well. But I planted at once and every now and then it seeds from way back and I just let it grow because I really do do like it.
Speaker 2: John, You know, this is a tree that's been around forever, but I just don't seem used that much. Pecan trees, I think make a great treat of work into your landscape, and they're not sold often, and it's something a little different and it'll give us some diversity in the landscape. But we have a couple huge ones on Madison Trees property, do you. They're just fantastic trees. And they don't produce the seed anymore either, so we don't have to clean that mess up, although I would be happy to clean up a bunch of pecans right around it.
Speaker 1: Excellent, And that's that hard to open, yeah, compared to like a walnut.
Speaker 2: And so if you could grow that, have a great tree and end up with an edible fruit that came out of it too, I think it just those are kind of those extra winds that you get out.
Speaker 1: Of course people don't know this, but it's actually a hickory. It's in that genus.
Speaker 2: It is in the hickory family.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, and I think it's native to Ohio. Carria, Illinois insist just barely. I think I think there's at least one county in Ohio that Lucy Brown calls it native to. Ye, there may be more than one, but I'm pretty positive there's at least one because we used them at the and the Grove Thousand Trees Grove at Ohio State when I was in school there.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've got we just put a grove in yeah, at the witting Hills at the Winton.
Speaker 3: Hills Tree School. We'll be talking about at eight o'clock.
Speaker 1: Yeah, with Charlie Frank, which will be a great conversation and what a neat idea that was. We'll bring it back up at that time. Uh, Steve, what's what's rocking in your world? Right now?
Speaker 3: You're gonna get You're gonna be shocked by this. Okay, sun sugar tomato. Ah, the little kind of yellowish orange cherry tomato. Yeah, that, like you said, we picked you know, a lot of them every day now in our garden. And I'm not much of a vegetable gardener. I've got my zucchini and my you know.
Speaker 1: The the sun basic, the staples.
Speaker 3: But man, the good you pulled sun sugar tomatoes and you get that Marge Eddies ranch dressing. There's nothing better than snacking on that in the afternoon.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, nothing like you just going out in the garden picking a tomato that's still hot in the sun. It's got a little dirt on it, and you just pop in your mouth and eat it, and it's it's the best.
Speaker 2: Not much better, much better than that. How big is this variety? Like normal cherry tomato size? It's not the tiny little ones.
Speaker 3: No, no, just cherry tomato. But it is sweet and easy to grow. I can even grow it, so it mustn't be easy.
Speaker 1: I'm going to chime in here with a very common plant. But it's rocking it right now. It looks so good out there. Peroskia. You know, it's sort of a poor man's lavender. You know, we can actually grow it in our hot, humid, heavy clay soils around here and much of the United States. New varieties out there that kind of bring it down the size a little bit, so if it's in a garden, a little better and less likely to flop over. But you know that just if you have a hot sunny spot and you need some silvery blue, you can't beat peroskia.
Speaker 2: And you don't have to do much to take care of them right there. You put them in and just get a little bit of water to get them started, and they're good.
Speaker 1: To go pretty much.
Speaker 6: It.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you do have to pinch your nose when you cut them back in the fall. It's the only thing that I kind of like the smell to. Maybe maybe your senses are dulled in your this point in your career.
Speaker 1: There's no reason they wouldn't be so John you, so you just not mine what is yours so I have a chance to hit back.
Speaker 2: It wasn't a knock, It was just a combat. My employees regularly are like they're cutting back the Russian stage, you know. Oh yeah, you know it's seems so obvious and so out there, but the hydrode of peniculatas are just amazing this time of year, and there's just nothing with better color and a show. Uh, you know that you got to be careful with certain neighborhoods. The deer will munch on them and you may need to put a little protection up to get them started and big enough to get over the browse line, or just in spots where the deer aren't so prevalent. But the color that they produce in the length of time is unparalleled. For there's a couple close, but that's just such a good plant.
Speaker 1: I was thinking about it the other day. I was driving somewhere and there were a bunch of them out there, you know, and mostly in commercial landscapes. Do you see them a lot? And well, you see them everywhere now, But I was thinking, you know, it's pretty much the perfect landscape shrub. You know, it's tough as nails, it's showy as can be in the summertime, and you know it's going to perform for you.
Speaker 2: And you can be the worst pruner in the world and whack it back over the winter and it almost doesn't matter where you cut it, and the thing just comes back happier than ever the next season. It's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: And you know, I was thinking also about this when I started at the zoo, and you know, about fifteen sixteen years ago, now there was what tard dive and PG and not a whole lot more. And now there are probably hundreds of varieties and they just get, you know, better, smaller, better, more floriferous. Whatever you want, you can now find it in a hydrange of peniculata.
Speaker 2: The big thing is if, especially with the tree formed ones, is finding one that you know getting it so when the balloom comes, they don't just completely flop over, right. That's the one of the tough parts of that plant.
Speaker 3: That's a great one. I don't know how you can knock him on that one, Scott, I can't.
Speaker 2: Yeah you can.
Speaker 1: You commoner there it is. It's not native. You took an easy, easy approach. Yeah, you know what, when we come back, Steve, we'll come back to you for another plant. Always fun to do the favorite plants right now, so we'll keep doing them. We'll be back in just a couple of minutes.
Speaker 4: A flooded basement can destroy your home in minutes. Flooring, ruined walls soak thousands of dollars in damage, and your some pumps the only thing standing between you in a disaster. But when storms hit, power fails and pumps quit. You need a backup Zalor Backup. Some pumps run on a battery or even city water with a Venturi system. Every pump is tested and retested at the factory. Plumbers trust Zalor, a fourth generation company. They do things right. Don't gamble with your home. Protect it with Zalors Zalorpumps dot Com. You've got to try the new spread rock Walgrantite coating from Dice Coating. Bring the beauty of real speckled grantite to walls inside and outside your home. Create stunning accent walls in your family room, hallway, refresh your bathroom, or upgrade exterior columns, foundation walls, even sheds. Spread rock while granite coating is durable, easy to apply, and available in nine beautiful colors. Best ball just sixty eight dollars a gallon at dish Coatings dot com shipping free. Transform your walls today with spread Rock Walgranite coating.
Speaker 1: And welcome back. I am Scott Berlin. You're listening to let's garden with me, and I am with the illustrious, the brilliant, the unquestionably greatest in the world horticulturists, except for like the other guests, I routinely have John Butcher from Madison Tree, Air and Landscape here in Cincinnati say hello, Hey, And Steve Fold's my boss, director of horticulture at the Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden. And we just got an award again from the Perennial Plan Association for our Communication, Community and Education outreach.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's pretty cool. It's very cool.
Speaker 1: They just keep coming in. We just keep doing the work and we'll keep getting it done.
Speaker 2: You got to do cool stuff over there. That's why you're earning it, right, But we don't do it for the awards.
Speaker 1: We never have. You do what's right and you do it as the best you can, and maybe the awards come, maybe they don't. It's nice when they do, but the satisfaction of doing the job right is what matters the most.
Speaker 2: Couldn't agree more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So Steve, it's your turn. What is one of your favorite plants? Right now? All right?
Speaker 3: Since John's here, I have to go scarlet oak of all the oaks. Well, I do like white oak, but scarlet you get that great brilliant scarlet fall color. It can't be beat. You don't see as many planted but if you look at some of the older trees around the greater Cincinnati area. There's more scarlet oak out there than you think.
Speaker 1: It's a tough, adaptable tree. You know. People say, oh, two things about oaks people say that I disagree with vehemently, vehemently. One is they don't get good fall color wrong, especially with scarlet oak, but any almost all the others. Still it's a little bit more muted than say a red maple, but it comes later and it's all oaks always look great in the fall to me. And the other thing is that oaks grow slow, and I disagree with that too.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: You know, we planted this scarlet oak at the night Hunter's exhibit in what was probably twenty twelve, and that's a big tree now, so.
Speaker 3: It's one right next to the carousel that took off. Yeah, we've been getting scarlet oak and a container and you know, so you avoid that, you know, root shock and digging, and that's changed everything for me as far as trusting an oak for transplanting.
Speaker 2: It's a good point. Container growth is good and you got to take certain precautions with with container plants, and definitely still manage the roots and make sure your root at the right height. There's there's but overall I agree with Steve, it's just takes out so much of the transplant shock when it's done well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's it makes planting a larger tree more accessible to almost everybody. You know, if you're gonna get a two inch PMB, you better have an F two fifty. You know, if you get a twenty gallon a plant, you can put throat in your trunk and wrap a flag on it. Definitely wrap the tree up so it's not blowing in the wind. But you know, a regular homeowner with just a car can find a way to get it home. Or you just called John, Yeah, John, plant this tree for me.
Speaker 2: Happy to help always, I will say. On the scarlet oaks, it's really easy to lump them into just the red oak category, right because they are in the red oak family. And you know, you've got shoe mart oak and the scarlet oak and the red oak northern red you know, so there's all these things that are similar, but there are some when you when you really analyze that, there are some real differences that you can point out with the scarlet oaks, which may be really difficult when it's an eighty foot tall tree and you don't have the leaves right in front of you, and it's not and it's striking fall color form. You really have to have an eye for it to be able to pick that one out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm going to go on a little bit of a rent here on my next plant though it's really a group of plants. It's conventional plants, old school nursery stock, garden center staples, you know. Just came back from a week at the Perennial Plant Association and it was wonderful. It was great, a lot of focus on naturalism, which I do like a lot when especially when it's done really well.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: But we followed that nearly a full week of that, and then we went to ball Flora their their their display gardens in West Chicago, and it was just such like a relief to see a real showy good old school plants, annuals, perennials. Some of it mixed in with the new perennial stuff or new native stuff and work great. But we can't throw the what is it the baby out with the bathwater. I think when some of the with some of these things that seemed to be the forward the future of horticulture, and uh, you know, I want to draw particular attention to one bed that I saw where uh they have sort of these concrete bunker containers. That sounds terrible, but they're beautiful. Uh you know, cement containers sort of embedded in the side of a hill. And those were filled with annuals, right, colorful, really well matched, really well designed, and surrounded completely by sparabolas on the ground. And it was a really cool look. And you know, I think we're going to wrap up favorite plants. Did you guys have a bunch you wanted to fit Always have continuous, always have plants to talk. Well, maybe we'll do one more round when we get back. You're listening, Let's go h Let's Garden with Scott Buro. Let's Scott with Gardening Berline and uh, you know, want to tell you that the podcasts are available. If you miss the show, you can catch them later. You can live stream available on fifty two stations around the country, only the very best stations. We will be back in just a couple of minutes.
Speaker 2: Pursue Elation and Susta