Speaker 1: This is off season Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Get in on the show by calling eight six six seven hashtag Dodger Talk and now your host, David Basse.
Speaker 3: Welcome to our final spring training edition or excuse me, off day edition of Dodger Talk. Spring Training Dodger Talk officially begins tomorrow. Tim Cats will be filling in as I will be traveling to Arizona and next week we will have three Dodger Talk shows from Camelback Ranch in Glendale, Arizona, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday live shows from Camelback Ranch in Glendale, Arizona. And it should be a fun time as the Dodgers are getting ready for the three peat attempt, something that hasn't happened since the Yankees did it back in ninety eight, ninety nine, two thousand, are one championship away from matching those legacy teams from the Yankees to be able to not only repeat, but win three straight World Series championships. We got a lot to get to Tonight on Dodger Talk, our final offseason show of twenty twenty five, twenty sixth edition. Reggie Smith is going to join us. Yes, that Reggie Smith is going to join us. At seven point thirty. He is going to be inducted into the Legends of Dodger Baseball this upcoming season. August fifteenth is the date, and that should be a great night. And really, the Dodgers are the organization that they are because of the players that wore the uniform. And Reggie Smith was not a guy that was drafted by the Dodgers, but certainly made a huge impact after he was traded to the Dodgers during the nineteen seventy sixth season and went on to become a member of the first quartet on the same team to hit thirty home runs that was Reggie Smith, Dusty Baker, Steve Garvey, and Ronsay in nineteen seventy seven and in nineteen eighty one helped the Dodgers get over the hump and win the World Series in eighty one. It was the first time the Dodgers won the World Series since nineteen sixty five, so it had been quite some time since the Dodgers won the World Series from sixty five to eighty one. But nonetheless, Reggie Smith is going to join us. A guy that I respect and have so much reverence for, and so many people across baseball certainly feel the same way because he has touched so many of their careers and still to this day is a mentor to many of them. So looking forward to sharing Reggie Smith with you at seven point thirty tonight. Coming up in our next segment, you'll hear from Tanner Scott. He seems to have a fresh new outlook on life as a Dodger. A lot of that has to do with the fact that Edwin Diaz is here as the Dodger closer, taking a lot of pressure off Tanner Scott not to have to be that guy, but allowing him to be the Tanner Scott that excelled in Miami and with the Padres before the Dodgers signed him to that lucrative four year contract before last season. So you'll hear it in his voice and it feels like he understands what to expect. And also the weight of being the Dodger closer is not on his shoulders anymore. So the Dodgers are looking at a potential two headed monster at the back end of their bullpen. If Tanner Scott can give back to the Tanner Scott that the Dodger signed a couple of years ago, and also Jeff Passing, the so called national Voice of Baseball, wrote another I thought lazy story today. I will get to that in our next sea. But I'm sure by now you know about some of the Dodger moves that have been made in the last twenty four hours. Evan Phillips has been signed back for six point five million dollars. He won't be able to pitch until the second half of the season. He had Tommy John surgery last May. And look, we all thought when the Dodgers non tendered Evan Phillips that it was kind of a fit. It was. It was going to happen. It was just a matter of when that they were going to bring him back. But in the last couple of weeks it was not something that was a formality. I had found out that a few teams were very interested in signing Evan Phillips, even though he wasn't going to be able to pitch for them until the second half of the year, like it's gonna be with the Dodgers, but especially the Texas Rangers were considering signing Evan Phillips before they defaulted back to jordan My Montgomery. So they were among the teams that were interested in Evan Phillips. So Evan Phillips back with the Dodgers and certainly can provide a big time armed for the Dodgers in the second half of the season. Also with the Dodger bullpen kind of changing shape a little bit here this offseason, Anthony Bonda, who was designated for assignment last week, was traded to the Twins for international pool money. But you know, I understand the fans' affection for Anthony Bonda. But if you're gonna tell me Anthony Bonda was a fan favorite, and how could the Dodgers do this? Well, I could go through a few other fan favorites that were a lot more prominent in their careers when they departed the Dodgers. Cody Bellinger, Corey Seeger, Justin Turner, just to name a few. So save your tears for Anthony Bonda, who certainly had the two best years of his career with the Dodgers and certainly enjoyed every second of it. The Dodgers did use him a lot. Bonda was one of those rubber arms and never said no when the phone rang. He threw one hundred and twenty nine innings the last year plus for the Dodgers, including the postseason in one hundred and thirty six games. So the Dodgers got a lot of use out of Anthony Bonda, who is basically a journeyman until he came to the Dodgers. So we like Anthony Bonda, but certainly there's been other fan favorites that have had better careers that the Dodgers have moved on from. And look, part of the reason why the Dodgers felt they could move on from Anthony Bonda is because they have a wealth of lefties in their bullpen that not many teams do. Alex Vesi is returning, Tanner Scott is back, Jack Dryer is emerging as a guy, and let's not forget how good Justin Robleski was as a multi inning reliever out of the bullpen during the regular season and how vital he was for the Dodgers in the World Series. So they have four lefties that are more than capable, and not many teams even have one lefty in their bullpen. So that's part of the reason why the Dodgers felt like they could trade Bonda. And the reality is the Dodgers have lost multiple draft picks each of the last two offseasons for signing big time players, including this year Edwin Diaz and Kyle Tucker. So the way they make up for losing those draft picks is making trades like this. And there could be a trade during spring training where they flip one of their guys and they get some top prospects back because they can't fit that player and they don't see a few sure for that player, so they decide to maximize it. Similar to Michael Bush, who is having a great career with the Cubs. But where was Michael Bush going to play? That was the dilemma. So the Dodgers tried to replenish their farm system with the Cubs sending Jackson Ferris and Zayir Hope to the Dodgers for Michael Bush. Now, it still remains to be seen whether or not either one of those guys is going to make a huge impact in the big leagues the way Michael Bush is making it for the Cubs. But that's the thought process behind it with a very stacked Dodger team. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number we are taking phone calls tonight. It's our last off season show as we make it official tomorrow with our first Spring training Dodger talk and being out there at camel Back Ranch starting next Monday. By the way, Max Munsey, where are all the Munseie haters that called in and the first couple of months of last year. Now everybody loves Max Mounsey when you always should have appreciated Max Mounsey. And the Dodgers have extended monseye into next season, a seven million dollar extension for next season and there's a ten million dollar club option in twenty twenty eight. Part of the reason why the Dodgers are keeping Max Monsey is because Max Mounsey will take team friendly deals instead of chasing every last dollar. That's why he's here, and the Dodgers obviously value that. Eight six six, nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number, and of course how could I bury the lead Key K a Hernandez is back for one year and four and a half million dollars. Key K a Hernandez likely will start the year on the sixty day IL because he probably can't play after undergoing left elbow surgery. Probably won't be able to play until June of this up coming season. At the very earliest. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. When we continue, you'll hear from Tanner Scott at seven point thirty. Reggie Smith and I have some real issues with the way some of these people just won't let it go about the Dodgers being really smart and being very aggressive to try to maximize the Otani era in LA. Don't go anywhere more Dodger Talk from the Sports Net LA studios right here on a F five to seventy LA Sports. David vass with you until eight o'clock here on AM five to seventy LA Sports our final off season Dodger Talk show. Spring training officially starts tomorrow for the Dodgers. Pitchers and catchers officially report to Camelback Ranch tomorrow and Tim Kats will be filling in on Dodger Talk tomorrow night at seven o'clock as I'll be headed to the desert, and we'll have Dodger Talk for you the rest of the way from camel Back Ranch in Glendale, Arizona. Coming up at the bottom of the hour, the Great Reggie Smith will join us as he is being inducted into the Legends of Dodger Baseball. We'll get to Tanner Scott in the fresh vibe that he has to himself in just a couple of minutes as well. But earlier today, Jeff Passon who I guess I like. He's not a bad guy. I've interacted with him during the postseason, and I do like him. I do like him. But he's got to turn the page. And I don't know who's influencing him to continue to write about how bad of a spot the sport is in because of the Dodgers. Look in this same story where he says that owners want a cap. Really, they've wanted a cap since the beginning of time, since free agency started. Yes, that's not new news. And then he says fans are outraged, not just on social media but in group chats. Jeff, are you in every fans group chats? I mean, seriously, he wrote this in a whole big story about and by the way, it was way too long. It was a novel about the same stuff that we have heard about at nauseum since October. Enough. We don't want to hear about this anymore. I don't think it's fair to even the fans that you're supposedly sympathizing with to continue to throw in their face that their owners stink and they aren't trying to win this year. In the same story that Jeff Passing said, group chats of fans aren't angry. Yeah, I'm sure there are, Jeff, Way to go out on the limb owners want a salary cap? Oh really? Okay, yeah, yeah, that's breaking news. He also said the sport is in a renaissance in this same story, in a renaissance the last two years. Do you know what has happened in the last two years? The Dodgers being in the World Series, the Dodgers and Yankees on in the World Series in twenty twenty four, the Dodgers in the Blue Jays, giving us the best World Series arguably in baseball history. You know who nobody is still talking about is who was in the World Series three years ago? Do you know who that was? It was the so called small markets of the Rangers and the Diamondbacks. And the Rangers spent a lot that year. So here's here's a tip. If you spend smartly and you have a farm system to any certain extent, you have a very good chance of winning. If you don't spend, and you blow draft picks after having top ten after top ten pick, like the Pittsburgh Pirates, You're not going to win. It's really simple. Now Here is something that we all understand as well. Steve Cohen of the Mets, the Mets owner, and Mark Walter in the Guggenheim Group certainly have quite a bit more dollars at their disposal than other teams because they are in the world of making a lot of money. That's what they are. They're billionaires. And if Major League Baseball didn't want them in their club, they shouldn't have approved the sales of the teams to those guys. But the Dodgers have nothing to apologize for. Mark Walter has been great for the Dodgers, and he's been great for the game. This revenue sharing, where is all that revenue sharing going to. It's going to the Marlins of the world, the Pirates of the world. Everybody is making money and thriving in the sport because of the Dodgers being as good as they are. There's nothing to apologize for. And my point is, can we just move on? This is such a tire topic. The game is in such a great place. There are so many different teams that have a lot of storylines, compelling storylines that first take could be talking about, or Jeff Passing could be writing about, why are we defaulting to this very lazy baseball topic that the Dodgers are bad for baseball when in fact they are the best thing that has happened to baseball in the last three years. Can we just stop with that? Hopefully we can turn the page after today if you're Jeff Passing and start writing about a lot of great things happening around the league, and even some not so great things happen around the league that involve play on the field, like Nick Castianos admitting on Instagram today that he brought a beer into the dugout after he was taken out of a game in Miami for defensive reasons. I mean, that is compelling stuff. How about Kennley Jansen starting anew in Detroit. You could talk about that, the guy that's on his way to the Hall of Fame. I don't know, There's a lot of other things to talk about other than the false narrative that the Dodgers are bad for baseball. And I still refuse to believe that they are going to miss games next year, and that's next year. Let's worry about that next year at the end of this season. That's not a cloud baseball fans want to continually be reminded about during this year. Sorry they don't. And who I'm gonna say this, and I think it should be said Jeff Passing. And some people people can live in some areas and some people want to live in certain cities. But the reality is Jeff Passen was the Royals beat rider, and Jeff Passing still lives in Kansas City, who did go to the World Series two years in a row and won it. So it's not always about money. Let's go out to Teluca Lake. Dave. You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 4: How you doing, Dave, Hey, Dave great. A couple things. First of all, congratulations as a vital part of the organization on another World championship, you contribute a heck of a lot, not only from a journalistic standpoint, just your upbeat spirit is infectious. So congratulations on that, Dave.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's been a great ride, Dave, It's been a great ride, right.
Speaker 5: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: Secondly, I think that training of Anthony Bonda, he might be the most popular player ever that I can remember with the ladies, so that's a big loss for them, not for me so much. I think you make a good Salie point about Bonda. Great guy, did a great job for us and wish him the best. Have there been I got you questions. Question one is have there been any changes within the coaching staff, whether it's the hitting coach or pitching or bullpen or anything with the Dodgers this year? I haven't really paid a lot of attention to that. And the second one is if you could touch on what the other teams in the N West have done to improve or decline, or any interesting signings that maybe you can shed some insight on. That's what I got, Dave.
Speaker 3: Thanks a lot, all right, Dave, I appreciate the phone call. Well, the Padres are basically the same team as they were a year ago, minus you, Darvish and minus Dylan Cease. They and minus Luisa Rice, who actually signed with the Giants. The Giants, I would say, have improved defensively quite a bit, and I believe Louisa Rice is going to do great in that ballpark in San Francisco. And the Giants also signed Harrison Bader to play center field. So they did not add to their starting staff. A lot of people believe they were gonna sign Zach Gallon, and Zach Gallen is still a free agent, so is Walker Buehler, and there's a lot of indication that the Padres have a lot of interest in Walker Buehler. It just feels like the Padres are still really good. Nobody's talking about them. They still have Mason Miller, they still have Manny Machado, Xander Bogart's Fernando Tattis junior. But their pitching is their starting staff is a little thin, which obviously means a lot during the one sixty two marathon, and that's what may hurt them during this regular season. I don't see them being within three games of the Dodgers this year like they were last year. But the Giants seem to be a bit improved. They have good defense, and they seem to have I like Luis a lot in that lineup. Eight six six, seven, two five seventy is the phone number.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: The Dodgers last year did not win one hundred games. They lost a lot of games late because their bullpen was not one of the best in baseball, and Tanner Scott had a disappointing season as the Dodger closer, but the Dodgers rectified that by signing Edwin Diez, who is a bona fide big time closer, which allows Tanner Scott to go back to being a lethal left handed relief option in the seventh inning or in the eighth inning, and the Dodger bullpen has the potential of having a two headed monster, and Edwin Diaz and Tanner Scott had a chance to catch up with a fresh outlook from Tanner Scott at Dodger Fest.
Speaker 2: I was sitting in the bullpen watching, waiting, hopefully we got to hoist Trophan millye row tied of the game, and then we'll.
Speaker 1: Take us to the Promised Lands.
Speaker 3: Yeay, dad.
Speaker 1: I was just sitting there watching Kershaw throw.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, that was his last technical bullpen in the playoffs.
Speaker 1: So that was cool.
Speaker 3: What was that like? Because after it was all said and done, he said he had no idea you won.
Speaker 2: He was warming up, and uh I was, I mean, I was just watching it. I was like, it's one of the greatest ever.
Speaker 1: Do it right there? Dodger legend.
Speaker 3: So did you see Mookie turned the double player? Or were you watching kursho It was like it was like a head turn. So I saw it, But uh, did you leave the bullpen or did you let him know?
Speaker 1: Hey we won?
Speaker 2: No at that moment, we just want to I know I was I didn't know what you're still throwing, kind of just left my body and just swept.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Hey, I was telling people, everybody's talking about Tucker. Everybody's it's great. Everybody's talking about your great offense, your great starting pitching. But now with Edwin Diaz and Tanner Scott in the same bullpen, the Trumpets, I can't wait to hear him Timmy Trumpet, are you ready for that? Yeah, Timmy Trumpet, I can't.
Speaker 1: Wait to hear it.
Speaker 3: Hopefully we get like the actual live to do it like they did, and yes, that would be cool. Hey, I know last year did not go the way that you wanted it to. Yees. So how how have you cleaned the slate? What's your off season been like?
Speaker 2: Off season was good, hang out with my family, spending time with them. Looking back at twenty twenty five, realizing I threw too many strikes in the zone and two strikes and uh, I mean, I'm i should put away that guy, and uh, I left too many the ball over the heart of play and that's never good.
Speaker 1: I mean I think I could take myself deep at that point. I don't know.
Speaker 3: It says a lot.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't think Wand could bump me though, so we'll go with that. But no, they just reflected on the year. It wasn't the greatest year for me, but I mean we walked away over the ring and three peat for me, I'll take that.
Speaker 3: And then you were trying to come back and then you had that freak sickness injury infection. How do you want to describe it?
Speaker 1: Something?
Speaker 2: Yes, something that put me put me in a hospital bed. So it wasn't great. I mean I was fighting my wife going to the hospital because I was like, I can get through it. I can get through it. It was a point where I was skipping too bad. We didn't want to go into like whatever.
Speaker 1: Sepsis right, Yes, that's dangerous. Yeah, so thank my wife for that.
Speaker 3: You have such great energy this year. Just walking in here, I could feel like the energy the vibe for Tanner Scott, yes was over. Like I looked at my wife. I love it.
Speaker 1: On New year's we don't make it to the ball drive. That's too late. We got a sign too way too late. So she looked at me, she goes new year.
Speaker 3: Yes, perfect, Yes, indeed. I mean think about that Tanner Scott and his wife watching the ball drop on the East coast and immediately say, let's forget about twenty twenty five and going back to the Dodgers' power as far as wealth and their payroll goes. That's actually the difference. And many people are missing the point when they just point to the Dodgers signing Kyle Tucker and that's the end it end of it. You know, they went too far. It's signings like Tanner Scott last year where he doesn't perform up to that big contract and the Dodgers can still overcome it. The Dodgers can overcome contracts that don't work out well because they do have the resources. That's what separates them to a certain extent in free agency. If they do sign one bag contract, it's not going to handcuff them from adding another player to try to rectify that player not performing up to the contract that he was signed to. That's the difference, and the fiscal power the Dodgers have that most teams don't have. It's not signing Kyle Tucker. It's not signing you know, Taoscar Hernandez. It's signing players like a Tanner Scott that doesn't perform up to that contract and still being able to win the World Series. That's the difference. Eight six six nine eight seven is the phone number. Let's take one more phone call before we get to Reggie Smith. Aaron in Hollywood. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing? Erin?
Speaker 5: Hey, good Dave, how are you doing?
Speaker 3: Doing great?
Speaker 5: Great? Hey? I just wanted to say thank you for all of your covers last year, and I'm looking forward to next year and remembering last year. I'm really thinking that during the ring ceremony, when the all the players come out, I'm assuming that Yamamoto will be the last player to get his ring since he was the MVP, right.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't know how they do that. Erin, I'm not sure.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean my thought is just to be out of like totals.
Speaker 3: Is that how you want it? You want Yamamoto to get be the last, save the best for last.
Speaker 5: That's the last I would think because he was the MVP, and then I would just think, at least when he's getting his ring, I would want all of the other Dodgers to kind of like going to semi circle run them and just bow as a kind of a not to his culture and respect out of him, and that we just.
Speaker 3: Okay. I mean, that's fine. I think this is a first world problem, Aaron. I mean, Jeff Passing and every other small market person out there would be very upset with you worrying about this when they they barely can't afford their payroll. I mean, major league owners can't afford their payroll. All right, Aaron, thank you for the phone call. I mean, isn't that ridiculous. It's not a right to own a major league team, and uh, you know, there's a lot of different things that go into it. But look, I understand the frustration with some of these fan bases, but that frustration should not be pointed towards the Dodgers. It really shouldn't. The Dodgers should be a beacon of hope for every other fan base out there. I mean, really, that's what every fan base should expect from their owners. To a certain level, there should be a certain level of that I'm not saying that the Reds can have or be what the Dodgers are payroll payroll wise, But here's something else to consider when it comes to that Major League Baseballs, regional sports networks, the bubble burst, and a lot of them that don't own their networks, like the Red Sox, the Yankees, the Cubs, the Dodgers. They're in limbo right now. So when you talk about team valuations, get that settle like Rob Manfred wants to do, and then let's talk about it. But I understand that there's a lot of revenue from TV that teams were expecting that's no longer there. That has put them in a bad business position. I understand that. But Rob Manford is trying to work that out, and once it's worked out, teams should be in a much better place to get the valuation that you know, they obviously keep saying they're not getting right now because they don't have a salary cap. It's not because of the salary cap, because their TV deal, regional sports network deals blew up in a lot of ways, and now the Commissioner's office is trying to rectify that. And that's something that certainly will be worked out in the next year, hopefully for all those teams. Eight six, six, nine, eight seven, two, five seventy is the phone number. Reggie Smith is coming up next right here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. Welcome back to Dodger Talk. David Vase with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. And earlier this week, the Dodgers announced some promotion dates. But this is more than just getting a bobblehead. On August fifteenth, the Dodgers are going to honor a man that certainly has had an impact on many generations, whether it's on the field or off the field. The Dodgers are honoring the great Reggie Smith by inducting him into their pseudo Hall of Fame, the Legends of Dodger Baseball before the August fifteenth game at Dodgers Stadium. Reggie Smith played seventeen seasons in Major League Baseball, six of those with the Dodgers. He was a seven time All Star, three of those playing for the Dodgers, and he won the World Series and was a huge part of the dodgers a run from nineteen seventy seven to nineteen eighty one, and certainly the reason why the Dodgers are inducting Reggie Smith is not just about how great he was on the field, not just about his two thousand hits, not just about his three hundred and fourteen home runs or his two eighty seven lifetime batting average. It's the legacy that lives on through so many teachers across Major League baseball, Minor league baseball, and youth baseball, because that's the type of impact Reggie Smith has had on so many people, and the great number eight. Reggie Smith joined us on Dodger Talk. Reggie, thank you so much and congratulations on getting this honor.
Speaker 6: Thank you very much, David, and thank you for the kind words and introduction there. I truly appreciate it.
Speaker 3: What does it mean to you, Reggie, when Lon Rosen and the Dodgers called you to let you know that you were going to be part of the legends of Dodger Baseball. What was your first reaction.
Speaker 6: I was humbled, almost to the point of being a little emotional, to receive that kind of recognition and knowing that you know all of the great players, and let alone great players, the great men that have put on and warned that Dodger uniform that you know, to be selected amongst that, it's quite a humbling experience, and I'm sure it will be August fifteenth. But again, having grown up in the Los Angeles area era area here, it's special. It's a special feeling.
Speaker 3: When you were growing up in the Ala area, did you ever have dreams of playing for the Dodgers?
Speaker 6: I did, you know, and mainly because I was a Dodger before I became a Dodger, you know, having listening to games when in school, when the Dodgers were back in Brooklyn and you were in the World Series back in nineteen fifty five and fifty six, and then go and behold in nineteen fifty eight, they're playing here. But because of you know, Jackie Robinson, who was my boyhood hero in baseball, already stood for that, you know what, I wanted to play for the Dodgers. Yes, I would have, but it was just like anything else. It was a little boys dream that was fortunate enough to have come true.
Speaker 3: Reggie going to Centennial High School in Compton has it come full circle?
Speaker 6: It has, you know, because fortunately by the time I got to high school, the Dodgers were well entrenched here in the Los Angeles area, but at the time when I was in high school, it was more I was thinking of playing football at that time and pretty much had thought that that's what I was going to do, to hopefully go to college and play college football. But like they say, life intervened in that being my dad got sick, and it was an opportunity for me to help the family because at that time, you know, you could sign with any team. There was no draft, and I was fortunate enough to get signed and ultimately developed the skills enough so that when I did come back, ultimately got traded to the Dodgers. I came home when I was in the prime of my career, and my parents got to see me what I'd like to think when I was at my best, and certainly being a part of the Dodger organization who had so much tradition and winning, that I was able to help and participate in World Series with them, which is every little boy's dream or every baseball player's dream. I think of playing in the World Series and winning.
Speaker 3: And you certainly did in nineteen eighty one with those group of Dodgers. Reggie Smith's first full season back home in La he only hit three h seven and only slugged five seventy six with an ops of one thousand, making the All Star team for the first of three times in Dodger Blue, now Reggie during that period of time, we always obviously celebrate the infield that came up together through the minor leagues. But for those that remember, it was when al Campanis acquired yourself, Dusty Baker, and Rick Monday in the outfield that seemed to really change the fortunes of the team. What do you remember about coming in with those four or five guys with Jaeger included, to really become kind of the leaders of the team.
Speaker 6: Well, when when this trade was made for me coming over from Saint Louis, al Campanis at the time said that he believed that I was that missing piece. Dusty had come in a trade that in winter, and I came during June that summer during the the trade deadline there and Monday came in that that winter. So what it was and those pieces that between Baker, myself and Monday they believed were the missing pieces that and it worked out well because uh we jailed and all had a similar uh mindset and goal to be the best that we can be and win ball games. And it was fun because, like I said, those key pieces were already there with the players they say, Garvey, Loaves, Russell Jaeger, and further those those pieces were there, The pitching was already there. We just came in and filled than that outfield to make one probably one of the most potent lineups that had been in Dodger history at that time, so that we could compete against anyone. And you look making up almost twenty games or thirty games between the years before to where we started to dominate against the Reds and other teams in the National League.
Speaker 3: Yeah, back in the day, it was the big Red machine in the NL. Lasting they were dominating up until nineteen seventy seven, which happened to be Tomu Lasorda's first year as the manager of the Dodgers. What do you remember the most about the seventy seven season? And A, I know the World Series did not go the way you guys wanted, but for the first time in a while, it wasn't about the Reds. It was about your Dodgers.
Speaker 6: Well, it was you know, you had the big Red machine and we became the big Blue wrecking crew, you know. So uh, the the fact that we were able to have eight guys on that field at any time nine You know that I had not only the desire the skills to win, but the desire to win and and and make it happen. We were We were eight strong, and the motivation of Tommy during that off season had UH spoken to each one of us and it was the first time I ever had a manager ever say to me, I need you and this is what I would like to see you do for this bafflab. But he had that same conversation with all the other players, and we made the commitment to doing just that. That we were going to win, and we were going to go to spring training. And one of the sayings that I like to tell a guys, because I even said the same thing to mister O'Malley at the time, that look, we're not coming here to spring training to prepare to play the season. We're coming to spring training to prepare to play in the World Series and win. And that was our philosophy at that time. And that's what Tommy inspired and expected of us, and that's that's what we did. We went out and did just that that. The World Series didn't turn out like we like. You know, it's a short series and just the case where the best team, I believe doesn't always win, because baseball is that kind of game. But we got there, and we got to the World Series and doubt didn't. We didn't accomplish that mission until nineteen eighty one, and that was to win.
Speaker 3: That is the pillar of strength. Voice Reggie Smith, who is going to be inducted into the Legends of Dodger Baseball this season August fifteenth. You want to get there early.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 3: Reggie not only had a great playing career, but his legacy is going to live on because of how great of a person he is and how many lives he has touched. He currently runs the Reggie Smith Baseball Academy and Encino. My ten year old son has fallen in love with it because Reggie has done a great job of teaching the teachers. And Reggie coached for the Dodger organization from nineteen eighty nine to nineteen ninety eight and still has had an impression on Major leaguers like Max Free to this day. With all that being said, Reggie and your playing career speaks for itself. But does it mean more to you to have this lasting impact on so many people even when you're eighty years old and you can't play baseball anymore.
Speaker 6: You know, my who I said was Jackie Robinson? And what did Jackie say? You know, the legacy? If there was anything he wanted to do that was important to him, was the impact that it had on other lives. Well, if that was Jackie's philosophy and how he wanted to be remembered, that's what I wanted to do. So being off the field also a little more to me than what accomplishment stair than what I accomplished on the field, because to give individuals hopes and instill confidence and the things in them that they need to hopefully read the productive life. Rather, it's through how the things that they attained attained through education or having baseball as a vehicle to be able to attain those things. I feel that that has been my purpose and my goal in life is to help others be able to, especially in baseball, play this little boy's game and have fun doing it. And you know, if anything, just be a good person, teak people like you want to be treated, and the rewards that I've received of seeing my students and the people that I've touched be successful and enjoy the game. And more importantly, I ask him if there's anything that you can give me gives bath and share the things that were shared with you, because as my mother taught me a long time ago, the only way to keep a gift is that you have to share it. So that's that's what I endeavored to do. And the reward is thing and having kids enjoy Like you said your son that it made me really feel good that he said that he had fun there and he wants to come back. So then what else do you want? What else can can you expect? To have a child and have someone have fun and enjoy with their dinner and hopefully take those lessons that they've learned in baseball and use them throughout their lives.
Speaker 3: I think that's the greatest compliment Reggie. A ten year old kid and ten year old kids that show up to the Reggie Smith Baseball Academy that never saw you play know who Reggie Smith is and are proud to say they went there. And I think that's a testament to you and the way you've taught your coaches, that's a special gift.
Speaker 6: Well, thank you. I appreciate it, and it's sharing a gift that was shared with me. And as long as I'm able to do that, and I will continue to offer that because as a blessing, because I was blessed with the ability to do it.
Speaker 3: Reggie Smith is our guest. Reggie, I got to ask you a baseball question with what's going on even before a single game is played in spring training? We've had superstars like Corbin Caro, Francisco Lindor Jackson holiday fracture the handmade bone. What do you make of that? It doesn't seem like it's a coincidence, is it because of the training of these players during the offseason? What do you make of three big time players breaking their handmade bone before spring training?
Speaker 6: I would venture to say that they are probably overlapping on the little finger on the bottom hand of the hand that the bat is the extension ups. In other words, they might be overlapping where either that little the pinky finger is resting on the knob or just below it. And what that does. That puts the pressure on the hamdmate bung in the hands. It's actually probably a more common injury than the people know. But I don't know, but sure I would have to see how these guys are gripping the bat. But I believe that to be the cause of it because of that that pressure. You see, the grip of the bat is mainly held in the the bottom three fingers from in from the middle finger, ring finger, on the pinky finger. That's where most of the pressure is applied to strength in terms of the grip of the bat, so that if you put the knob of the bat on that little finger there, it positions it perfectly on that handmade both and to cause injury.
Speaker 3: That's a great explanation from one of the best hitting coaches you will ever find. Extended. Tim Wallack's career brought Mike Piazza back to camp and he went on to have a Hall of Fame career. To mention just the two of the many impacts that he has had as a coach and as a teammate, Reggie, look forward to celebrating you at Dodger Stadium. Hopefully we can do this before then, but you know how many people are really happy that you're going to be celebrated, and rightfully so I can't thank you enough, and everybody has so much reverence for you. So thank you so much for your.
Speaker 6: Time, Thank you, and thank you for the recognition and certainly for Lon and the Dodgers to bestowing this dis prestigious honor on me. And again I'm truly humbled and appreciative of it. Thank you for having me on Dave.
Speaker 3: All right, there is Reggie Smith. Appreciate him taking as much time as he did to share a lot of stories and memories and just what makes Reggie Smith so respected and why he has affected so many people in the game of baseball, and also you know, doing what he's done with the Reggie Smith Baseball Academy out there and Encino. So thank you to Reggie for his time and looking forward to celebrating him on August fifteenth when he is inducted into the Legends of Dodger Baseball. That'll do it for us tonight on Dodger Talk. Tim Kats will be filling in tomorrow night at seven o'clock for our first spring training edition of Dodger Talk. As tomorrow is the first official day Dodgers will report to camp, although many of them are there already, Tomorrow's the first official day and we will be out there at Camel Back Ranch in Glendale, Arizona, with Dodger Talk beginning Monday night right here on AM five seventy LA Sports, your home of the back to back world champion Dodgers and don't ever apologize about it. Thanks to Ronnie Foscilo for all his help, Thanks for listening. In case you missed any of the show or our conversation with Reggie Smith, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. Have a great rest of your night. We'll talk to you from the desert. See you