Speaker 1: How's the stream stream commencing broadcasting on a five seventy l A Sports and streaming on the iHeartRadio while it's.
Speaker 2: The longest running afternoon sports show in the city.
Speaker 3: No congratulations necessary. All traces of Fred Rogan have been removed.
Speaker 1: This is Petros in Money, Thank You, Thank You, hosted by Petros Papadacres terrible person, He's the worst and Matt money Smith.
Speaker 4: The pipes, the pipes, the pipe.
Speaker 3: Don't miss an episode. We're with you. Yeah, follow the Petros in Money Show.
Speaker 1: Wherever you get your podcasts now Here's Petros Papadacus and Matt money Smith.
Speaker 3: You'll feel me.
Speaker 2: Petros Money I am five seventy LA Sports Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app your home, exclusive home, only place you'll hear it on the radio in Los Angeles. Super Bowl sixty Sunday, February eighth, one week from Sunday. Patriots Seahawks, but a lot of Dodgers this weekend beginning tomorrow afternoon. Get your weekend started early four to five pm. Tune in courtesy of Verizon Wireless two hour Inside the Locker Room with Miguel Rojas. That'll be tomorrow four to five pm. Still one more pair to give away. They gave us a pair per hour to give away today, So an opportunity, one more opportunity for you to be in the room with us here at the iHeartRadio studios inside the locker room with Miguel Rojas, brought to you by Verizon Wireless. And then tomorrow the Dodger Party continues. Pete, you told them about the flex alert tomorrow. Oh, that's right, we do start it to tomorrow.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 2: Because of the Clipper basketball.
Speaker 3: I forgot about the well alert.
Speaker 4: Yes, And the Dodger Party continues on Saturday tomorrow and Saturday Today is Crunchy Groof Thursday, and that means FanFest with David Vasse popping off at Dodger Stadium starting at ten am. Great interviews you can tune in, and that's also brought to you by our friends at Verizon. Use the phone so you can learn what's going on on the telephone some form of what we used to call the telephone sank form of it, some form. Thank you Verizon. It is now time for the final hour. Fun fact.
Speaker 2: It's fun effect. It's the yeah We're three.
Speaker 3: Fun fun fact.
Speaker 2: It's a fact, there are over two thousand graduates of the Concordia University Irvin's Masters in Coaching and Athletics Administration program in colleges and high schools in the state of California alone. Accelerate and elevate your career by joining the vast community of excellence. Visit CUI dot edu slash coaching.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: If a statue of a person on a horse has both front legs in the air and not the person the horse, the person died in battle. If the statue of a person on a horse has the horse with one front leg in the air, the person died as a result of wounds received in battle. If the horse has all four legs on the ground, the person is in fact dead but did not die in battle. Exactly right?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: Is that universal?
Speaker 2: That is in the United States?
Speaker 4: Okay, I mean, I don't know. I'm thinking about the Collocaltroni statue and Anoplo down in the Peloponi, so that's where the family is from. And I don't know. I think he's got all four legs on the ground because Colo Coltronis died in natural causes. Oh well, they did threaten to behead him up there at the Polomi. That's great horse information. I appreciate love that.
Speaker 2: Oh you know what, pe, I'm looking at the Cola Katroni statue, although I think that maybe there are more than one.
Speaker 4: Right, well, there's one. The one Ino is the one I'm most interested in, Matt.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know this would would hold to your point, Like is that universal? It looks like one of them has all four legs on the ground and one of them has one leg in the air.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well that's that's a mixed message, right, mixed messages double vision.
Speaker 2: Did he die from wounds?
Speaker 4: And no, I don't believe so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's the one in Athens has the one foot in the air.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, I like the one down in Knaphlo. That's the one that stands to reason. Time for quick.
Speaker 3: Hits, PMS, quick hits, I make it quick, y'all.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well, the Raiders and the Cardinals are still looking for a head coach, a coach coach. The Raiders playing to interview Seattle Off defensive coordinator Clint Kubiak for a second time. Hey, coobs over the weekend, and then he'll get back with the Parker Lewis can't lose team to play at the Super Bowl, and then he'll make a decision. It is believed that it's Kubiak's job to lose in Oakland. At this point, Tom Brady must be impressed with this guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they say both want them that this is the number one.
Speaker 4: Spy Tech and Brady and mister Bangs.
Speaker 2: No both the Cardinals oh oh and the Raiders oh no. Fine for the services of Clint Kubiak. Does he want to live in Phoenix? Does he want to live in Vegas? Does he want to visit the Death Star? Does he want to deal with the Bidwells? Does he want to deal with Brady and Spytech.
Speaker 4: I guess what you're asking is who's most willing to stroke a check.
Speaker 5: You're telling me there's not one person who can stroke at twenty million dollar check right now. You're telling me there's not one person who can stroke at twenty million dollar check.
Speaker 2: Right now.
Speaker 5: You're telling me there's not one person who's struck a twenty million dollars check right now.
Speaker 4: We'll find out when Putubia gets a job.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what we're saying.
Speaker 4: First game I did this year. This guy was with the Chargers two years Ago. I was really impressed with Western Michigan their defense, their pass rush, and their offense, and they ended up winning the MAC and having a really good year. And Western Michigan's Chris O'Leary is now the new Chargers decordinator. O'Leary was the DC and Kalamazoo just last year and returns to the Chargers after coaching safeties in the twenty twenty four season at Western Michigan. As we were saying, his defense was great, they had a really good team. They were ranked ninth in the FBS and second in the MAC in scoring defense at seventeen point four points allowed per game. And we're not joking around here when we say we love the Mactionin on the Petrusten Money Show.
Speaker 2: He Derwin loved him. Our friend Tony Jefferson said that he rekindled his love for football again after taking a year off and working in the scouting department. Elijah Molden was acquired right before the start of the season. O'Leary had ten days to get him up to speed, and Molden credited him with having that breakout season and getting that contract extension. So not surprised to see them hire someone that is from the Jesse Minor defensive staff, either this year or the year prior. But like you said, I don't know. I think I saw what did he inherit? I think he inherited the one hundred and first ranked scoring defense at Western Michigan. And you would know a heck of a lot better than I.
Speaker 4: Wow, of course, Matt, I'm very macked out and tracked out. So Mack, I just did that one was a freaking moon. I did that one Mac game. Lance Anderson, I believe is their head coach, who was a white wide receiver, a walk on a Native American background. Gotta love that. We are your home for Super Bowl fifty. The we are your home for Super Bowl sixty. I'm sorry, Matt, I could just read off the thing. The home uniform and the away uniforms have been unveiled, both teams wearing something new in the form of a special patch. The two teams will be wearing a special USA to fifty patch to celebrate the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of these United States of America. For their twelveth Super Bowl appearance, the Patriots have decided to wear a uniform combination that they have never worn in the big game. As the home team, the Pats got to make the first choice with the uniform to wear, and they decided to go with the white jersey and the white pants.
Speaker 2: Yeah five and zero in those And I don't know if it wasn't if the NFL would not allow it, but I think you can make a pretty good case. Maybe the Broncos are in there, but the Patriots and the Seahawks are like the most nineties tech vibe USFL uniforms that booted arguably some of the coolest uniforms, you know, the pat Patriot uniforms of the Patriots and those silver helmets, silver pant Seahawks uniforms.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they shouldn't have They shouldn't have gone away because when they when they went to the Broncos unis look cool when Brian Greasy was running around maybe and then after a little you know, in l way at first, but then it was like the old ones were way better.
Speaker 2: That's kind of that's kind of the Patriots. Oh yeah, totally these are cool. But yeah, come on, man, really, you.
Speaker 4: Had the guy hiking it, you had a Patriot, a minute man hiking of football. You can't come on you're not gonna beat that.
Speaker 2: Oh you can't beat that.
Speaker 4: The box, I would say, are in there too with the stupid pewter. Yes, yeah, the orange. That's that's a great call. The pew Then that's like they're all the same, The Broncos, the Patriots, the Seahawks, the Bucks. They all went to this like super aggressive, grungy. You know, look how aggressive our logo is like our Seahawks much more angry. Now, no, it looks like patriot. Look at him, he's a two thousands Patriot. Now, well, no, he looks like a robot. It's not cool man. Well, Matt, the Lakers got blasted by thirty. They're twenty eight and eighteen. They continue their Grammy trip tomorrow in DC versus the Whiz. Hopefully Lebron is available after the emotional night that he had in Cleveland. But the Lakers, they made it all about Lebron. No one really knows what he's going to do, and the Lakers got destroyed. But there was no headline about the Lakers being absolutely destroyed and embarrassed and how good Mitchell was, Spider Mitchell. It was all about Lebron and his tears.
Speaker 2: I saw this headline in the Los Angeles Times, this is the number one story through my Apple News Los Angeles Times sports feed. We want Bronni guard Bronnie James shines during Lakers ugly loss to Cleveland.
Speaker 4: Well at least they had that part in there.
Speaker 2: And then the second headline is like it was yesterday, Lakers lose an emotional return to Cleveland for Lebron James.
Speaker 4: They didn't just lose.
Speaker 2: So good to have Lebron and his family on the Lakers or it really just kind of sets the tone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for new who cares if you win or lose? And Luca limps off. You know, it's all about you know, what did they do for Lebron and what about his legacy? Yeah, the Clippers are still the hottest team in the NBA sixteen and three in the last nineteen. They're off until tomorrow when they go to Denver to take on House Nuggets and Matt there's an NBA trade deadline and Antentemkwompoo, the Bucks Greek freak Giannis is more likely gonna get moved.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the big name. Some speculating could Lebron get moved after the bus story and the leak of how how much Genie doesn't like him. He does have a no trade claw.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what about the trade clause?
Speaker 2: So that would be up to Lebron. He would have to approve any trade. It'd be great if they were able to execute something like that. But it looks like Giannis is going to be moved. Does have just one more year left on his deal, said he did not want to be moved in the offseason. Wanted to see if the Bucks could get it right, and that just has not happened. This year, he'll be eligible for a Supermax and the Bucks now recognizing with all of the assets they traded to get Dame Lillard and try to build that team around Giannis that if he's not on board, they're going to have to recoup some assets and they can do that with a year left on his deal. He's only thirty one. Reportedly, the Heat, Timberwolves, Nicks, and Warriors are the teams that have made.
Speaker 4: What about the Lakers. I think the Lakers don't win it, don't they deserve help. The Lakers always deserve help. They didn't get enough help last year with Luca.
Speaker 2: Well, the Lakers don't need help. He Lebron deserves help. Sorry, when you put it, when you frame it the right way, then yes, the NBA is like, you know what, You're right, Let's make sure this works.
Speaker 4: My bad sad news about Lamar Odom. He used to have an emotional buttress and he no longer does.
Speaker 2: Lamar's battleddediction for years. He is back in rehab. Uh, the longtime Clipper and Laker arrested last week for you were vic and he needs you get out to Vegas. He got a dewey TMZ reported he'll be going to rehab for Marriagewana does not want the drug use. He says he wants to shake and I don't know if that means he wants some shake well like the sticky butd he just would rather have some shake. There's some dirt weed too, maybe just kind of.
Speaker 4: You know, just yeah, he started out in Lebron is battled addiction. He is sick and he deserves our sympathy. I don't know if he wants some of that shake weed.
Speaker 2: Uh, it's going to smoke some of this shake out of his hand. Said he was afraid is smoking could lead to doing hard drug Oh no again that marijuana is a gate Wait it is Matt.
Speaker 4: That's true that it is, no doubt about it.
Speaker 2: Get high. All I want to do is just find some ketamine and get after it. I could really use right now, now that I've got this nice buzz that's just kind of got me cruising and feeling pretty good. I could use some black tar heroiny.
Speaker 4: The Dodgers pictures and Catchers apart the cattle Back Ranch on February thirteenth, The very first spring training games here on seventy is Saturday, February twenty first. We are very excited. And what is this San Francisco Giant story?
Speaker 2: I'm looking at cheters Front Office Sports Foss reporting they are being sued not for divorce, but allegedly charging How long.
Speaker 4: Will you be staying with it, sir? Indefinitely? I'm being sued for divorce.
Speaker 2: For allegedly charging hidden junk fees that inflated ticket costs that were not disclosed until checkout. Complaint alleges that prior to July twenty twenty four, the Giants sold online tickets to fans that included previously underscored charges labeled service fees or convenience fees or order fees. The Giants declined to comment when asked about the lawsuit. Three major League Baseball teams are not battling lawsuits over similar allegations. The other two not the Dodgers, of course, that's a high class operation. Oh, come on, and surprisingly not the Angels, but instead the Red Sox and Nationals are the other two.
Speaker 4: Wow, that's unfortunate. Indeed, the Nationals are held to a higher standard being in our nation's capital.
Speaker 2: And how you're going to have a presidential race and be charging hidden fees called service fees or convenience fees or order fees.
Speaker 4: Not cool, man, it's a great point.
Speaker 2: It's not something the federal government whatever to.
Speaker 4: You might have to get Dexter Manley to apologize.
Speaker 6: You apologize to him.
Speaker 4: No, Well, DC reference. We'll be back with more Petros and money on a five seventy LA Sports. You're a home of the Dodgers. Dodger Talk from Paisley's House tonight at seven.
Speaker 1: Petros Papadakis that money snary, This is Petro send money on demand.
Speaker 2: Petrosen Money Am five to seventy LA Sports Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. You're home of the back to back World Series champion Los Angeles Dodgers two more pair of tickets to give away today, the final two pair for our big day tomorrow, brought to you by Verizon Wireless World Series champion, not just a World Series champion along for the Ride Hero multiple game saving, game winning plays throughout that seven game series against the Blue Jays. Mcel Rojas going to join us for an hour inside the locker room from four to five pm tomorrow. So today, our last two pair of passes will be given away to join us inside the locker room intimate setting with Miguel Rojas. And then tomorrow, after we bid him farewell, p it'll be Clippers basketball against the Nuggets. I mean, the two basically just go hand in hand.
Speaker 4: They sure do. Everybody loves Miguel Rojas and everybody loves the hot Clippers taking on the Nuggets. Joining us right now, speaking of all of that, is our dear friend, the one and only Don McClain, leading scorer in history of the Pac twelve and UCLA's prestigious basketball program. The next ass he kisses will be the first CA Big Ten Network FS one embroiled in the college basketball season and of course also covering the NBA as well, our friend Don McLean on your Southern California Toyona Toither celebrity hotline. What's cracking down? How are you?
Speaker 7: No, there's been a lot of talk both ways about, you know, the four West Coast schools joining the Big Ten.
Speaker 6: Some positive, some negative.
Speaker 7: One of the positives is is I've gotten to know all the people at the Eugene Airport.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, along the way.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, what's the name of that. What's the name of that people? Wings? Is that the name of the restaurant Wings?
Speaker 7: No, it's changed. Oh no, it's not Wings anymore. It's like will emt Grill. I think will Grill, all right, okay, willam at Grill. Okay, yeah, I know those people too.
Speaker 2: They're dear friends of mine.
Speaker 4: They have a lot of glasses with a lot of glasses with holes there behind the bar at the willamb At Grill.
Speaker 6: Yeah they do.
Speaker 7: And uh yeah, I just forgot to look at the name of the restaurant when I walked in.
Speaker 6: That's all.
Speaker 4: Anyway.
Speaker 2: You look at it right, what's right behind the bar is where your eyes are fixated. You know, they keep all that stuff high levels. You know exactly what you want is Russian to touch your flight. Well, let's stick with that just because it just happened. And it's it's wild to think, right that Indiana is a football school and now Nebraska has the best record in the nation. They just took that l to Michigan. You brought it up. But could it be like one of those weird years where somehow Indiana wins the freaking football championship? Is Nebraska that good under Fred Hoiberg? Could they win the tournament or is this just kind of them on a hot streak and whatever?
Speaker 7: No, absolutely they can. They're my favorite team to watch in college basketball. The mayor in you know, Yeah, I've talked about this a lot over the years, like college coaches that have NBA influence are that much farther ahead. And it's typically on the offensive side, not really the defensive side of things, but offensively it's just better like the stuff that at Hoiberg runs at Nebraska. I had their game in Oregon last year. In watching their shoot or their practice, I went to practice. I was blown away by how they run things on the offensive side of the ball. And I think when you get a team that's hold her and they are old guys that have been in the system for a few years that understand what Hoiberg wants offensively, and then you play with the level of toughness, you're really good. And look, if you weren't believing that they were twenty and oh and you weren't believing that they were a good team, everyone on the planet thought that Michigan was going to blow their doors off. And oh, by the way, they were missing their six year center rink mast in that game, and they had a chance to beat Michigan at Michigan. So that to me, even in the loss, told me that Nebraska is for real the.
Speaker 4: One and Olie Don McLain, he's been for real and he remains for real. Uh Don, did you watch the Lakers get blown to pieces in Cleveland last night from the Eugene Airport?
Speaker 7: You know, well, actually it was right. I watched the first half before my game last night. We had the great eight o'clock tip last night. I watched the first half, but I didn't see the second half. And that's I guess when they got blown out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they got their doors blown off. But they made it all about Lebron being upset or not upset, but you know, emotionally touched with his video in Cleveland? Did did he leave there twice? I guess it's still cool.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 7: In the coverage leading up to that game, in the speculation by everybody at ESPN, like I just had it on, I was finishing up doing my prep for the game, and literally for two straight hours, it was is Lebron Is this the last time Lebron's going to Cleveland as a visiting player?
Speaker 6: Is he going to retire?
Speaker 7: And it's like nobody knows except for Lebron, And I don't even think think.
Speaker 6: Lebron probably knows at this point. My guess is he's not done that he is going to come.
Speaker 7: Back for another year, and the question remains whether it'll be with the Lakers or not.
Speaker 4: Spider Mitchell was the star last night, regardless of the told.
Speaker 2: Your tongue pe star was not the star.
Speaker 4: I want to apologize Lebron and Clutch Sports. They called me after I said that and threatened me.
Speaker 2: He was not the star last night. The people chanted we want Bronni. When the Lakers were down twenty, they got Bronni. Bronni canned two threes, had a steal and a breakaway thunderous right handed hammer dunk. So those eight points, I say that facetiously done. But I ask a question, as someone who works with guys coming into the draft, there is a lot of there's a lot of scuttle button conversation around this right now because Ramona Shelburne decided to say that Lebron had no influence whatsoever on the Lakers drafting bronni that he was the number one player on their board at fifty five, which I found to be entertaining, just as someone who evalued.
Speaker 7: Me entertaining that entertaining is a polite way.
Speaker 2: Is someone who works with young Look, and I don't want to take shots at Bronnie. You know whatever, Man, he's the young man that got drafted. He was put in the situation. But honestly, like, where is he right now? Do you think is he a viable rostered player on a fifteen man NBA roster or is this someone who should probably be in the CHI League continuing to develop.
Speaker 7: Here's what I would say. Again, I've been doing this for a long time. No one had him being drafted coming out in the draft, no one except for the Lakers. Okay, So the fact that Lebron had nothing to do with that. I find hard to believe. Now, all you need is an opportunity, no matter how you get it, and some guys go undrafted and get an opportunity and make the most of it and stay in the league for fifteen years.
Speaker 6: Is he developing? I haven't watched enough.
Speaker 7: Lakers or enough of him playing in Laker games to really evaluate if he's a viable wrote you know, fifteen man roster guy or not. The proof will be if and when Lebron retires that other teams want to sign him. That will tell you whether or not this was all you know, a home job, or if it was that he got better. And look, he might still get better. He's only in the second year. Guys continue to develop. I look, I wouldn't be surprised if he became a guy that was an NBA player for a long time, because guys get better, he guys get hungry. And I'm sure he hears people like us doubting the whole situation, and that probably motivates him. But the proof will be if anybody else wants him when this Laker thing is all over, anybody wants to trade him, anybody wants to sign him as a free.
Speaker 4: Agent, then you will know, doesn't anybody want to be wanted? The one and only Don McClain joining us right now on Petrosten money. Don the Clippers just keep winning all the way to the top. Don right, They're gonna win it.
Speaker 6: All yep, all the way to the top.
Speaker 7: I'd just like to know. I can't remember. Maybe you guys can pull pull pull out something. I can't remember a team that started that bad and then got this good without even without major guys being out for long absences.
Speaker 6: I've never seen this before.
Speaker 4: It's kind of weird, right, Yeah, they had.
Speaker 6: A couple of injuries here, They.
Speaker 7: Had a couple of injuries here and there, but it wasn't like their starting five was all out. I mean, they started horribly and now they've ripped off whatever they've ripped off. I've never seen this before, and I'm really curious. I would love to know what changed, And don't tell me, because you can't tell me. It's Chris Paul being gone. There's no way, there's no way that that would slip a season this dramatically for an NBA team.
Speaker 4: The one and only Don McClain, he's friends with everybody at the Eugene Airport. It's not a big place you drop off your rend tall key just riding that box right there. Uh Don, Yeah, it's really early. You're right.
Speaker 6: If it's after seven am, you have to go to the counter that.
Speaker 4: Dropped it in the box in the past and be like, and I hope it went in there. There he one and only Don McClain. Thank you, Don, great as always, and we will talk to you next week. Have a great weekend.
Speaker 6: All right, guys, you too, have a good weekend.
Speaker 4: David Vasse will be live from Brad Paisley's Santa Barbara House. Who will come by, What luminaries will join? It remains a mystery. We'll have Dead and Alive coming up and then get out to Santa Barbara.
Speaker 3: This is Petros Money on Demand.
Speaker 4: Coming up next, it's David Vessey with Dodger Talk live from Brad Paisley's House. That truck still run. And tomorrow we have a very special Dodger Day with Dodger World Series Champion Miguel Rojas inside the locker room. Brought to you by Verizon Wireless and Matt. We gave away a bunch of pairs today. Sound off like you got a.
Speaker 2: Pair we gave away three and how about our fourth pair right now? Do something for the late people. Yes, you're stuck here till the end. Our fourth and final pair. Four hour Tomorrow's for Tomorrow's inside the locker room. So if you can make it four to five pm, we'd love to see you. Eighty six six nine eighty seven two five seventy one. Last caller ten, you are in for tomorrow four to five pm, a full hour with Miguel Rojas. As you said, Pete Curtesy of our friends at Horizon Wireless eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy on the telephone.
Speaker 3: Indeed, call it to telephone.
Speaker 2: You're in and you are our last inclusion. A big thing you to Dave Wish and his crew for putting it together, our friends at Verizon Wireless, and the extra two pair for you. The people very excited about that, and hopefully we'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Seem yours start down.
Speaker 6: That's where you're going.
Speaker 4: See you on the ice Pompey this Saturday. We'll see you on the ice at Dodger Fast David Vassa will be back from Santa Barbara and live from Dodger Stadium starting at ten am with all the interviews at Dodgers players and coaches and front office folks. That one is also brought to you by our friends at Verizon Wireless on the telephone.
Speaker 2: Yes, multifaceted, those Verizon Wireless folks.
Speaker 4: We're the best.
Speaker 2: Indeed they are.
Speaker 4: You know, you think they're one way and they turn out being another. Right, Matt, It's time for the dead Guy. Birthday of the day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Canadian News, it's Canadian News take off.
Speaker 3: You don't rick our show, you bozer?
Speaker 2: Hey, well happy would have been one hundred and twenty fifth to Edward Plunkett Taylor, a guy we can really get behind here, pee Beer horse racing sports ownership. This is our guy, the father of American sports in Canadian cities, the man who founded the Toronto Argonauts, the first owner of Argos Toronto Blue Jays. Not to mention Winfields Farms, one of the most successful thoroughbred breeding operations in the entire world. But of course, you gotta make money before you do all that stuff, unless, of course, your parents made the money and you just inherit the teams. But our boy, ep Edward Plunkett, Hey.
Speaker 4: It was their identity all right, Matt. They stripped their identity, Mie stripped their identity away.
Speaker 2: Ep was wicked spot and he was in fact born into the right family. His father was a stockbroker, so from a young age, Eddie took to his dad's work paid attention. During World War One, his father enlisted and the family moved to London. Young Eddie, so inspired by his father, attempted several times to join the British Army despite being just fifteen sixteen seventeen. Dad was like, yeah, that ain't happening, man, Just send him back to freaking Canada. So they shipped Ep back to Ottawa to live with his grandfather, Charles McGhee, who was a wealthy Ottawa businessman, and he enrolled at McGill University at seventeen got his degree in mechanical engineering. While he was still a student, he patented get this an electric toaster that browned both sides of the bread simultaneous.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't have that, you know. I just have a toaster reve and I flip it over myself.
Speaker 2: Right, this guy put together, at eighteen years old, put together that toaster. He sold the patent for a royalty of forty cents on every toaster from the Thomas Davidson Manufacturing company. That of course made him a bunch of money. Money that he invested in a two vehicle bus line between Westborough and Uduwa. That worked, so he sold that. And when his grandfather died, his collection of businesses were willed to his various kids and grandkids. And Eddie got braiding brewery. And it was mid size operation, but it was in the midst of temperance laws and prohibition.
Speaker 4: Oh I don't like that, Matt.
Speaker 2: No thought Eddie was the one who had those teetotalers.
Speaker 4: Matt, that's not for us.
Speaker 2: The teetotalers were coming for him. But Graham's thought Eddie could say it was his favorite business. He was like, Eddie's gonna save it for me, and he did. Was able to navigate through prohibition, made a profit. In nineteen twenty seven when it ended in Ontario, he was ready. He rebuilt the plant, he increased capacity. He studied the other thirty six breweries in Canada, found they had no chance to keep up because of their archaic facility. So he took off and then a little bit of luck, the crash of nineteen twenty nine capitalized, so he basically scoops up nearly all of his competitors. He forms the Canadian Breweries Limited, turns it into the world's largest brewing company. And then he got to jump early on soft drinks and took control of those, particularly orange crush, made that the drink of choice up there in Canada really contributed to the nation's health. With that, he started a grocery business that took off. World War Two, Churchill tabs him to be the munitions in supply chief for North America. As he's crossing the Atlantic, his ship gets torpedo. Oh no, and he's swimming in the Atlantic, about to die, scooped up by a merchant vessel who carries him to England. He survives. In nineteen fifty EP Taylor was described as owning quote the largest piece of the largest piece of Canadian industry. So he got deep into the ponies. He transformed the Ontario racing scene. Quote we had too many tracks. Our patronage was falling, low purses, bad horses. I thought racing might die like it did in Quebec. So he opened the Woodbine Racetrack, turned into a world class menu. Convinced Penny Cherney to have Secretariat make its final start in the Canadian International and that just launched Canadian horse racing. His win Fields Farm imported stallions that produced Northern Dancer, who in nineteen sixty four became the first Canadian bred horse to win the Kentucky Derby. And then arguably he could f like a machine. The greatest sire of the twentieth century, whose impact on the breed is still felt worldwide. Our man ep was voted Thoroughbred Racing Man of the Year in seventy three, elected to the Canadian Sports Hall of Fame. He then founds the Toronto or Argonauts and then becomes the owner of the Toronto Blue Jays when MLB expands into Canada, as im.
Speaker 4: You know what he had to do to do that.
Speaker 5: You're telling me there's not one person who can stroke a twenty million dollars chuck right now.
Speaker 4: Stroke a real check.
Speaker 2: He stroked the check for the Blue Jays.
Speaker 5: You're telling me that the person who can stroke a twenty million dollars chuck right.
Speaker 4: Now, And he stroked a check for ok Blue Jays. Our favorite song ever.
Speaker 2: No doubt, And he made a toaster the toasted your toast on both sides one twenty five today, Edward Plunkett Taylor A P.
Speaker 3: Taylor.
Speaker 5: You're telling me there's not one person who can stroke a twenty million dollars chuck.
Speaker 2: Right now you are, yes, I'm telling you that coach there isn't.
Speaker 4: The alive guy. Birthday of the day is Jamaican News. It's Jamaica News. Sick Rostins Kleyroy Sibbles is seventy seven years old today, great Jamaican crooner and the son of a grocer Sybils began singing and playing the guitar tied by some local rastas in trench Town, which is a real place in Kingston, Jamaica, named after a guy named Treent, not because it hasn't open soon. Larry is an open sewer, but it is not named that because of the sewer. He's named that because of mister.
Speaker 2: Cheranch unfortunate name.
Speaker 4: Well, it is what it is. Man Thomas Crapper didn't know what was gonna happen. He and Earl Morgan and Barry Llewellen formed the band the Heptnes, but it changed or there were the first called the hep Ones. But the Heptones are what everybody know because they changed it to the Heptones in the mid sixties and they got big in Jamaica as a group of male singers trio, just as big as Bob Marley's group at the time. They were rivals Bob Marley and the Whalers, Bob Marley, Peter Tosh and Buddy Wayler versus Leroy Sibles, Earl Morgan and Doug Llewellyn's dad, Barry Llewellen. The other group, Matt you might recognize. The third group in that big nineteen sixties Jamaican race was the Pioneers, the guys that play long shot, kick the bucket, our favorites and if you want to add one more group to their then make it a foursome in the sixties that were really changing Jamaican music at the time. The guy that actually named reggae reggae, Toots and the main Tongs. So they were all there and they were all staples at Cox and Dons Studio one, and Leroy In fact, Leroy Sibbles, whose birthday it is today, played bass on basically everything in Studio one, which is a lot of the foundational reggae music that is still popular today. You know that I'm Still in Love by Alton Ellis I'm Still in Love all that and the Abyssinians Sata Masagana, some of the most famous you know before Sublime covered it, some of the most famous reggae.
Speaker 2: Bass very important in the reggae What's that said the base Mariam, Oh, there's no doubt man, Thank you.
Speaker 4: I thought you were making a Bradley Knowles from Redland. The Heptones had hits like Matt's Favorite Fatty Fatty Love Me, Fatty Fatty Party Time, Bob Dylan's I Shall Be Released. Cymbals left in seventy eight to start a successful solo career with the producer Bull Wacky Barnes, Sly and Robbie. They're both gone now. We just recently lost Slide Dun Barnes and Bruce Cockburn three. He had good success with those three production houses. In seventy three, also, he moved to Canada, where he married and remained for twenty years, and continued to visit Jamaica and perform and come back with her without the Heptones. He did return to the Heptones in ninety one and he received a framed citation much like US in Irvine. On August sixth of last year, twenty twenty five, he received a citation for being a Jamaican music icon. He's a short haired guy with a big smile, quite black. Lee Roy Sibyls My second favorite le Roy in the world, My first favorite Leroy Leroy Holt, Leroy, No, no, no, okay, no, not stealing from my childhood before. You can't have it, No Leroy Holt, the great usc fullback of yester year. All right, good eye, everybody enjoyed. Bruce Leroy, also known as David Vassy, live from Brad Paisley's house in beautiful Santa Barbara. Maybe Monticito, who knows. Maybe Harry and Meghan are right next door, looking in with jealousy, trying to be part of it, and Harry's wearing his Dodger hat even though he was supporting Canada. Oh boh, we'll be back with more tomorrow. We started too on the Flex Alert and we will have the big inside the locker Room show with our friend Migi Rojas. Good night, everybody,