Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Here we go again.
Speaker 1: Brgara Running Back hosted by Dodgers in signer David Vasi three in the Mix. Dodger Talk is brought to you by La County Public Works Champions Recycle Beverage Containers, make the play Recycle Today, and by Children's Hospital La from Colds to Cancer. We got this to get in on the show called eight six six, not eighty seven, two five seven days and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you get your podcasts. Here's your host, David vase Day.
Speaker 2: It's a happy flight for the Dodgers after they put up twelve runs and beat the Astros twelve to two. More importantly, win a series. And I'm sure Miguel Rojas was having that tequila on ice a little bit too long because there have not been many series wins over the course of the last two weeks. But they get one today, taking two out of three from Houston by scoring a twelve to two win over the Astros. Welcome to Dodger Talk. David Vass with you until three thirty today on AM five to seventy, LA Sports, the iHeartRadio app and one oh four point three HD two. We are taking you to three thirty. That's when Petros and Money will take over. And I do have a pair of tickets to give away to Will Smith's comedy show, part of the Netflix comedy series tomorrow in Beverly Hills. So if you're interested, come strong with with something that will entertain us on Dodger Talk between now and three thirty. It's Netflix is a joke fest and Will Smith, the funniest guy on the team t is hosting all of this again for the third straight year. Eight six to six, nine to eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number. As you know, last night was a disappointing loss for the Dodgers, especially with the way Otani pitched seven strong innings, gave up just two solo home runs, and the Dodgers lost two to one after scoring eight runs in the first two in the first game of this series. So they score eight runs in the first game in Houston, they scored twelve games in the last game in Houston and beat the Astros twelve to two. The only concerning part is we're starting to get back to a boom or bust Dodger offense, and that's kind of their identity, right. That's why we shine such a light on the fact that they went six straight games without a home run, because if they don't homer, the chances of this offense scoring and winning are not very good. I mean, you look back, nobody has acknowledged this. It's not like the Dodgers strung together a lot of hits in Game seven of last year's World Series. It was three solo home runs that produced all three runs to beat the Blue Jays in Game seven of last year's World Series. So agree with it, disagree with it. The Dodgers are a slugging team, but the way they they slug is in the process of swinging at pitches in the strike zone, taking a lot of walks, and that's something we haven't seen consistently from the Dodgers the last couple of weeks. But today Andy PAHs, who I believe in the last four games has gone back to being Andy pa has ignoring too much information and just knowing his strike zone, being aggressive and decisive with his swing on where he knows he can do damage. And that's exactly what he did today, hitting three home runs for the first time in his major league career, driving in six RBIs. I know the last one was against a position player, but that third inning three run home run with two outs really stood out to me to a guy that has gone back to being aggressive, knowing his strike zone and not trying to guess what the pitcher is going to throw in a certain count. You know, I had the privilege of talking to one of the all time great hitting coaches and hitting minds and former Dodger Reggie Smith this morning. Reggie just reminded me that you've got to watch the game. And Lance mccullors junior is a guy that has a lot of pitches in his back pocket. He wasn't really executing any of those secondary pitches, so you start to discard some of those pitches that you know the guy can't throw for a strike. And that's exactly what Andy poh has did today, and that's part of the reason why he was so successful in that at bat, hitting a three run home run with two outs, and it's the first time in a while that Andy Poh has has had multi I hit games back to back. He had three hits last night. He had two three hits today. So that's a great sign. And let's not move him up and down the order. When Andy pa has started the season red hot, he was in the seven to seventh spot. Let's just leave him there. Every time the Dodgers try to move him up, it seems like he puts, he changes, and there's no need to change. So Paz is so vital to that six, seven, eight nine part of the Dodgers order, and that's where he was hitting today. Now I understand why Dave Roberts has tried to move Paz up. It's because he's not getting a lot from his right handed hitters so far. You look at the right handed hitters in particular, Taioscar Hernandez and Will Smith against left handed pitching this year, they don't have a home run Taioskar or Smith against the lefty and the group of right handed hitters the Dodgers have have only had a seven forty ops against lefties and only have two home runs. Those two home runs came from Pahz and Rojas. So the Dodgers. If you remember, in the off season of twenty three going into twenty four, wanted to sign Taoscar Hernandez because he was really good against left handed pitching. The last two years he has not been and Taoscar is in a big slump. He was hitting third today he was hitless again, So the Dodgers have hopefully can get him a day off more often than they have to start the year, because you need to get Taoscar off your feet. Dave Roberts talked about that in spring training and they haven't done it. Alex call is a great option until tom Yedman and keyk Hernandez come back. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Astros today twelve to two. We'll get to your phone calls in a moment, but we want to head back to Houston right now because Tyler Glass now just spoke to the media about what he was feeling as he was warming up for the second inning and had to leave because of lower back pain.
Speaker 3: Tyler, you've been having such an excellent season. Can you just describe what you felt going into that second inning of work and what led to just some of that lower back pain you're dealing with.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just like a normal, well not normal, but like a spasm that kind of just gives out. I've gotten it since like high school, just like being tall. I guess I get it like a couple of times a year. It's just a warm up pitch and it gave out, and I try to throw another one and it just it was like too hard to bend over.
Speaker 5: But it's not too serious. I've had this a few times.
Speaker 4: It's just one of those things where it's thrown out and once it feels better, it feels better, and it shouldn't be too long.
Speaker 3: If I recall last year, I think when we were in Baltimore, you had missed a start due to this. Is it similar to that kind of and being able to likely post your next one?
Speaker 5: I don't really know.
Speaker 4: I can't comment on it now, I guess, but it's like the same type of thing, like just yeah, just like a spasm.
Speaker 5: You've had, delta, but this or just sort of just give you peace of mind. It's like this is sort of like a one off type of thing.
Speaker 4: I'm not like worried about it at all. It's more about just like I hope I can come back sooner than later. But it's it doesn't seem to feel too serious, so I'm not too worried about it.
Speaker 5: So you feel during the first thing and all it.
Speaker 4: Is, it's just like a random everything felt really good, and then I threw that warm up pitch and I could just feel it.
Speaker 6: I'll give out, which typically like dictates how quickly you come back from this kind of thing, just like how you feel like it.
Speaker 5: It's more like the next few days.
Speaker 4: Sometimes it's longer and sometimes it's shorter, but it doesn't feel it too bad right now.
Speaker 5: It's never like too long.
Speaker 4: It's just more about like however much time I do take off, I have to build back up. But I'm trying to go as quick as possible, obviously not trying to make it any worse.
Speaker 5: But I'm not super worried about it. But we'll see. As I started feeling better since you first felt it today, Yeah, so it's hard to tell like day of, but it's not.
Speaker 4: It's not too bad, so hopefully it will be better the next couple of days.
Speaker 2: All right, So I guess the flight back to LA from Houston, that's not ideal for a bad back. Maybe he'll do the Larry and Tyler Glassnow will lay down in the center aisle of the Dodgers' number one plane, player's only plane, which is very spacious. I've ridden on that plane once before, so he should have enough room and be able to get the treatment he needs on the way back from Houston. If you're wondering, Okay, Tyler glass Now, let's put him on the IL miss a start and Blake Snell could just slide into his next start day. Well, it's a little bit more complicated because Blake Snell is going to make one more rehab start Saturday in Ontario. At least that was the plan before glass Now's injury. I don't see the Dodgers deviating from that plan. But all the talk and debate by people in the media about who's the odd man out when Blake Snell comes back all of a sudden is a moot point. When you have Glassnell dealing with a bad back that could land him on the IL all of a sudden, Sheehan, Roki Robleski. There's room for all of them, and the next start for glass Now would likely be Monday, the opener of a four game series at Dodger Stadium against the Giants. Celebrate ninety years of racing at Santa Anita Park every Friday through Sunday with millions and payouts every race day. For heart pounding action and new experiences, visit Santa Anita dot com slash events. Dodger Talk with David Vase until three point thirty. We're leading you up to petros and money. Let's go out to the phones for the first time today. Let's go out to the LBC. Mike lead us off on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 7: I'd just like to say, it's a beautiful day here in southern California. So let's get Glass now out of the humidity, get him a massage. And it feels great to beat the brakes off the Astros, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: I mean anytime you get a win, right, I know what you're alluding to, the twenty seventeen Astros. Carlos Korea, by the way, out for months now with an angle injury. Yeah, nobody will ever get over the twenty seventeen World Series if they were wearing a Dodger uniform that day, Mike, or if you're a Dodger fan, So yeah, nobody will ever get over that, no matter how much they want to deny it publicly, some more than others. But yeah, I enjoyed the Dodgers beating up on Lance mccullors, who was part of that seventeen Astros team.
Speaker 5: Heh, yeah, it was.
Speaker 7: It was a good day.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 7: It was fun.
Speaker 2: Yes, we've established it's a good day. Mike, you live in Long Beach. Congratulations, we know it's beautiful. Stop rubbing it in our faces. Thanks for the phone call, Mike. Let's go out, geez, we know you live in a great area. Let's go out to Shane on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Shane? You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing? Is it a beautiful day where you live?
Speaker 8: To Shane, Actually it's kind of windy, so that it was not a great day. But I sure can get some good use. You know. I love the game today. We won. I like to talk about Otani a little bit. But if there's any way that I can get.
Speaker 2: The don't beg don't don't don't act.
Speaker 8: No. If there's any way that I can see that Otani, it seems that it seems like he he he goes after some of these pitches I mean, it looks like he looks silly sometimes when he's when he's going after it, especially when there's there's something like that are down the street or are down in the middle and you know, the little kerr balls and things like that. So I have a little concern with that because I think he's a better hitter. He seems the greatest hitter ever. But I would like to see him, you know, go after these sliders or whatever he's going to go after, you know, a little bit better instead of letting them and let him go a little bit instead of trying to, you know, uh, get a home run on it. Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: No, But I'll give you tickets to will Smith. Netflix. Is a joke, Gayla Tomorrow. It seems like that's what you want, Shane.
Speaker 8: Well, I appreciate that, but I really wanted to talk about the autony thing.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 8: I just seems like when he's when he's when he's hitting.
Speaker 2: I'll just make it simpler for you, Shane. He's the greatest hitter player in the game right now. But I today he did look tired. I thought it was incredibly fortunate for him to be able to double in the third inning because he surrounded the baseball, and if you watch the replay, he's barely watching the ball hit the bat, And that just screams of a guy that was exhausted at the beginning of the game. But he's so great that he was able to double. So I understand what you're saying to a certain extent, but you trying to talk about certain pitches that he should hit shouldn't hit. Then we're all starting to go outside of our lanes.
Speaker 8: Okay, fair enough. I appreciate that. It just it makes a little sense.
Speaker 2: And where are you calling from, Shane? I don't know to do you want to go to the Will Smith comedy show tomorrow?
Speaker 8: Oh? I would love to can I Is that okay?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: I don't know. Is it okay?
Speaker 8: I would love to Yes, I will go.
Speaker 2: I would love to do. All right, hold on, Shane, we'll get your information. Congratulations. Shane seems like a guy that needs a laugh, and he'll be out there tomorrow with the back to back World Series champions at the festival. The Netflix is a joke Festival and you can join Dodger players like Will Smith at the Saban Theater in Beverly Hills tomorrow for a Grand Slam Night of comedy surprises, presented by three times World Series champion Will Smith, hosted by Ken Jong. Tickets on sale now and for another chance to win, go to our Instagram page at am five seventy la sports dot com or keep listening because I have another pair of tickets to give away between now and three thirty and don't forget. Tomorrow is our Big Dodger Talk broadcast from Downy Hunday seventy five fifty five Irristone Boulevard, alex Vesia is going to be there from four to five o'clock. We have ten pairs of tickets to give away tomorrow to Vessia's Bobblehead Night on May twenty ninth. We'll also have Bjy's gift cards and who knows what other surprises we'll have out there at Downy Hunday. You know, single demiyos for amateurs, Siete demio is for the pros like Vessia, David Vasse and you. We're gonna take a time out when we come back. More of your phone calls. At eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy after the Dodgers beat the Astros twelve to two on A five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: On air at AM five seventy, online at amfive seventy LA sports dot com, and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: This is Dodger Talk with David Bassid Andy Pajes homers three times today and the Dodgers beat the Astros twelve to two. Dodger Talk with David Vasse until three point thirty. That's when Petro Send Money take over. Daniels Jewelers presents the home run Forecast for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jewelers gift card. Visit AM five to seventy LA sports dot com, use the keyword home run and to your name and you could win. Daniels Jewelers own the Dream. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy. By the way, you know, in a game like this where Pahez hits three home runs, drives in six runs, the Dodgers have seven extra base hits all in all, you might have forgotten how the Dodgers scored their first three runs. And for an offense that was kind of struggling, it was nice to get three freebies because the Dodgers scored their first three runs today on wild pitches by Lance mccullors junior. The last time that happened was August fourteenth, nineteen sixty nine, when the Phillies used three wild pitches from the Braves to score their first three runs. So that doesn't happen very often, and certainly obviously it hasn't happened since nineteen sixty nine. So thank you to the Elias Sports Bureau for looking that up, because that was very strange. Kyle Tucker was wild pitch home to tie the game at one, and then in the third inning while Freddie Freeman's standing there at the plate, two runs scored on wild pitches, first Alex Friedland and then when he scored, Otani moved up ninety feet and was at third base when mccullor's junior uncourked another one. So that's how the Dodgers scored their first three runs today. They go on to beat the Astros twelve to two, take two out of three in Houston. Disappointing they couldn't win yesterday they only scored one run with Otani pitching seven innings, but they'll take a split on the road trip. Losing two out of three in Saint Louis and then coming back and taking care of business against the Astros. Let's go back out to the phones, Manny in downtown. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Manny?
Speaker 9: I can't complain in DV seventy seven degrees as live in one of the best cities in the world. My Dodgers just beat Houston, and that's always good. I'm one of those jaded fans from twenty seventeen. No matter how many titles we get, that one's always gonna have a bad taste in my mouth. But you know what, it's always a little bit better when they beat those guys. So shout out to my boys. Great job in Houston.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what, man. The reason why we will never get over that is the narrative that Kershaw was not a good postseason pitcher. Could have been changed that year because Game five he was unbelievable. He pitched a great Game one of that World Series. And then you think about guys like Rich Hill and Andre e Thier, Logan Forsyth. They never got another chance to win a World Series. Not to mention Chase Utley's last major League game, was Game seven, so is andre Ethiers of the World Series that year. So it changed lives, make no mistake about it.
Speaker 9: Oh and I'm embracing the whole evil Empire thing from here on out fully, So I'm a fully evil Dodgers. However the other MLB fans want to call it, I love it, so I live for that. I do want to just mention, though, everyone not to panic about Glass. Now, he sounded pretty confident, but you know, it's never ideal when your pitcher goes out with the backspasm. But this team is built by Andrew Friedman just specifically for times like this. You know, they got the three guys, Robleski, Rokie, Shaheen, she and she and sheh He's having They're all having great years. Well, Rokie up and down. But you know, like you mentioned many times on Dodger Talk, the game finds people. And you know, all this talk about sending Roki down or blah blah blah, guess what, we can't afford to send him down.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 9: Now it's another chance for him to maybe get back on the whole, try to figure things out. And you know, I'm rooting for him because he has a lot of raw talent, so maybe this is another chance for him to go at it. And one last thing I'll say to the guy who won the tickets at the gala, have a great time, buddy, you deserve it. Don't stress about the greatest hitter ever. Maybe Will Smith will pull you aside and kind of show you some stuff why he's the best. So don't worry about it.
Speaker 2: All right, Manny, you could be there with the guy that won tickets, because I have a pair of tickets for you.
Speaker 9: Wow, I'm on, you know what, DV. Can I do something that's very rare these days? I like the passos tickets forward to the next caller, if that's okay. I have to work tomorrow, and I'm very solid at work, but I about the passos up to the next guy.
Speaker 5: All right, Maddie.
Speaker 2: I like that gratitude. I like that unselfishness. So hopefully we see you at Dodgers Stadium on this home stand. Thanks for the phone call, Manny. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Astros today twelve to two. Show. Hey O Tani got out of his slump. He had two It's today. He was zero for eighteen, coming into his at bat in the third inning when he doubled Alex Friedland to third base. And look, here's my idea for show, hey Otani, If there's any way the Dodgers can do this, I think it might benefit him as far as recovery time and just taking some of the load off being a two way player again. They had lined up his pitch days to be Wednesday because they had a lot of Thursdays off in the first six weeks of the season. Well, Thursdays are pretty much an off day in baseball, whether it's a travel day or just a true off day like tomorrow. But if the Dodgers were able to re establish when Otani pitches and starts games to a Sunday all of a sudden, you could sit him on a Monday or there are Monday days off, And if you look at Sunday's their day games. So he's not starting at seven ten, he's starting at one ten. He could have the rest of Sunday into Monday to recover. His bullpen day wouldn't have to be until Wednesday, and since Wednesday is his start day still true to form, Thursdays are usually a travel day. Or an off day. If the Dodgers somehow Someway could reset his start days to Sunday, I feel like that would take a lot of the load off of him having to bounce back as quickly as he's being asked to bounce back right now. I'm not sure when they can do that, whether it's when Snell returns or not, but I think Sundays are are maybe the best day for Otani to start moving forward. We'll see if the Dodgers agree. Eight six six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Eric and Hollywood. You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 10: Eric Dodger Day Shoo back to back chatis beating that asterix keyster v. He sorry, man, I am will never forget twenty seventeen. So as gracious as you want a CV as Dodger fans out there, I'm never ever gonna forget twenty seventeen. But I love team fas roping three homers against them. That made me feel good. Glad he's getting back on track. A man O'tani was punishing the cheeks throws today, just punishing him today, and I didn't. I didn't think he looked tired at all.
Speaker 11: Man.
Speaker 10: I mean, he's a two way player, one of the greatest players I've ever seen, and of course he's gonna have swings and stuff, so I'm not really worried about it. It's one hundred and one hundred and fifty two to sixty two game season, you know what I mean, he's gonna be He's gonna have those. I'm just worried about the postseason. That's all I care about. But YODVI wanted us shared some good news with you.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 10: My son was born on three twenty five, twenty six, and he already hates the Astros bro alrighty.
Speaker 2: Alady dods, all right, all right, Eric, I see what you did there. That's great. Congratulations on the new addition to the family. Eight sixty six, nine seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Primo in South Central. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Primo?
Speaker 7: I'm doing pretty good, guys.
Speaker 11: I just wanted to drop in the fact that when we we, I'm like, I'm a Dodger fan. I do it post Dodger danger. But but it's we. We don't really mean we hate.
Speaker 12: A team that's a rival, because the teams that I that I rival against, I really like them because they're great teams. I know, because I hate the Giants naturally, and and I hate the Houston Astros, but.
Speaker 11: But they have great players. I love Al Tube. It's just like Boston and the Lakers. I would write, I hate the Celtics.
Speaker 7: But really I know everybody. I know mL Cars record.
Speaker 8: Uh uh uh just knowing it.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 7: The Killers against the Raiders.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, we don't.
Speaker 7: Really hate them. We we just it's just a sporting of course. And well, I want to beat these Astros on Hey, a.
Speaker 2: A primo win a little bit too far. He doesn't want to hate any other teams, but he's gonna drop some a holes on the radio. You can't go that far, Primo. We get it. We get it when you say, hey, it's in a sporting fashion, thank you for the life lesson. Let's go out to uh, let's go out to uh Claremont, Gabby and Claremont. You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi. Gabby.
Speaker 13: Hey, how's it going.
Speaker 2: Hey, it's a beautiful day in Claremont, Burbank and uh wherever you may.
Speaker 5: Be listening exactly.
Speaker 7: I just want to say, no one gives Roberts enough credit. He's a big a.
Speaker 3: At the end if he's losing, but when he's winning, nobody nobody gives him that hey high five.
Speaker 2: I actually feel like, uh, I actually feel like Dave Roberts has been getting a lot of credit and it's crazy that it took winning back to back championships to get that valid from the fan base. I agree with you, Gabby. I thought the fan base was a little too harsh on him. But the guy that I feel doesn't get enough love is Andrew Friedman. Without these players, without Andrew Freedman, Andrew Friedman, the guy that puts it all together.
Speaker 5: Gabby, I know I'm kidding.
Speaker 2: I know exactly. See, oh joke, So you like jokes? You want to go to the joke then tomorrow?
Speaker 13: Oh yes, I would love to thank you.
Speaker 2: Well, if you see Andrew Friedman, you better be nice to him.
Speaker 6: I am.
Speaker 13: I have a gift for him.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, what's that?
Speaker 10: I made him a Dodger T shirt.
Speaker 13: I make T shirts, so I made him one.
Speaker 7: Hopefully he's there, all right.
Speaker 2: Well, if you want to be serious about this thing, I think Dave Roberts gets more than enough credit. I don't feel like enough people talk about Andrew Friedman because he's put together a powerhouse going back to twenty fifteen.
Speaker 7: I agree, all right, it sure does.
Speaker 2: And if you're going to say Dave Roberts in one sentence, you better say Andrew Friedman in the same sentence. All right, Gabby, hold on, hold on.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't get Claremont humors, so hopefully you can learn some Tomorrow at Will Smith Netflix is a joke which is tomorrow night, you get a pair of tickets to hang out with the back to back World Series champions and all hosted by Will Smith and Ken Jong is going to be there. And if you did not win tickets here, you can try our Instagram page at am five to seventy LA sports dot com. Also go to Will Smith's Instagram page because that's where you can buy tickets and help support the cause. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. By the way, I mentioned this during the Clubhouse Show. It was great to see Freddie Freeman bounce back on this road trip because the last homestand was ugly and I know Freddy got that illness that was going through the Dodger clubhouse, but he looked really lethargic, and it could have been because he was hit by it. He was just three for twenty five on the last home stand. On this road trip, Freddie hit three seventy five with two doubles and four RBIs. So that was good to see. And let's see him carry that over against his former team, the Atlanta Braves, the team with the best record in the National League. They're going to be at Dodger Stadium starting Friday night. So we hope to see you at Dodger Stadium over the weekend to really feel the event of being at a Dodger game, especially against the caliber of team like the Atlanta Braves. Let's go out to Loch Rasenna. Mark, you're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi. Mark.
Speaker 13: Hey, David, how's it going.
Speaker 2: It's going great.
Speaker 13: I know we've talked about Pahes a little bit already today, but I just talk about.
Speaker 2: Him MOREZ keep talking.
Speaker 13: I was worried about him last year for the postseason and that he was going to slump this year, but he started out really strong and then he slumped a little bit again. I'm like, oh no, I hope he's not going through that again. And it looks like he's turning the corner again, and I'm hoping for positive going forward. Just a great guy. Three home runs today, You couldn't ask for anything better.
Speaker 2: Well, he just looks like a different guy, Mark, going back to spring training, he put a lot of work in to try to be a more selective hitter. He's put in the preparation during the offseason during spring training, and it wasn't a surprise that he was able to come out and hit the way he did to start the year. But the biggest thing for Pahes is to limit these type of slumps, and so far, I would say he's passed the first test of limiting the slump because he didn't let it extend to a one for thirty or an zero for twenty. He came out of it pretty well.
Speaker 14: Yeah he did.
Speaker 13: I mean, we all loved him hitting close to four hundred and would hope that that would continue for the season, but obviously reality sets in and that's likely going to be impossible. But still happy about him nonetheless.
Speaker 2: And he's playing great center field. Thanks for the phone call, Mark, appreciated. Paz, by the way, with the three home runs today has eight home runs. Max Munsey leads the team with nine. Paez is sitting three thirty six after having six hits in his last two games. Yeah, last night he had three hits as well. Tonight or today he homer three times and drove in six runs. So his average back up to three thirty six, his ops back up to nine forty five, and both of those are the best on the team for a guy that plays every day. Let's go out to Eugene, Oregon. Tom listening on the iHeartRadio app. Hi, Tom, You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 15: Hey, David, just real quickly. You know what, I gotta agree with Gaby and you. The Dodgers front office is just light years ahead of everybody else. I mean with the minor leagues. When they pull in these free agents and how they handle their team, it's just really, you know, a model for the rest of the league. So instead of everybody complaining about ooh, the dog evil Empire too much money, everybody should be trying to copy what the Dodgers are doing.
Speaker 2: I mean, look at Hayesong Kim. They signed him with international money for twelve million dollars and at the time that he he the Dodgers owned an option on him, so in twenty seven and twenty eight they could be paying him five million dollars for premier player that plays stellar defense. They traded Dustin Made to the Red Sox last year, or I shouldn't say they. Andrew Friedman traded Dustin May to the Red Sox last year. Dustin May made five starts for the Red Sox. They went nowhere, and he acquired Zach Earhart and James Tibbs, the third who was tearing up Triple A for five starts of Dustin May.
Speaker 14: Unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Tom, I love that validation. Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. I think it's proven by the Mets record. They have spent almost as much as the Dodgers payroll this year. It proves that money and payroll does not guarantee a winning season or a championship. And the Mets, you look at their roster, where the heck did a half a billion dollars go? And around the industry, it seems like the shine is off. David Stearns for sure. Now part of the Dodgers genius is in this day and age of sho Hey Otani and the Otani era and Dodger baseball is to be able to go out and flix that financial might by signing Kyle Tucker and coming into last year signing Blake Snell, and Blake Snell is this close to returning and making his season debut. He's going to make his last rehab start Saturday in Ontario, So it will be a big Sabitol Higante Saturday in Ontario as that will be Snell's final tune up and you can do the math. He's lined up to pitching Anaheim when the Dodgers play there a week from Friday. Eight six six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Astros today twelve to two, and today's game was brought to you by Modello Modello the mark of a fighter. Also great to see Brock Stewart back on the mound for the Dodgers. He went through elbow surgery last year after the Dodgers acquired him at the deadline. He did not start the year with the Dodgers, so today was a perfect day to get Stuart into the game for the first time this year. He was actually activated before the game, the Dodgers sent down Jake Eder and Brock Stuart was activated off the il and he pitched a scoreless ninth and had two strikeouts. So another weapon for Dave Roberts in the bullpen. Let's go out to Culver City. Seth, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing Seth today?
Speaker 14: I'm good, DV. Thanks for taking my call. I actually heard something on the broadcast today that Rick Monday said, and he said, we're twenty three percent done with the season. I was like, dang, you know, we're already at the quarter pole almost, And it made me kind of do a quick like reflection on the season, which is, aren't the Dodgers exactly where they want to be?
Speaker 11: I mean, we can we can.
Speaker 14: Always look at they don't quite have the best record in the NL right now, the Braves do. I know the Yankees might have a little better record, but they're sitting pretty in my opinion in terms of like they're relatively healthy. Yeah, I know, Mookie's gonna has been out for a little while. But if we can kind of look at it from that perspective, aren't we kind of like a race horse. You want to be sitting at the top, but not burning all your energy in the first quarter. You want to be saving some of that. What's your take on all that? If we kind of look back from the quarter pole of the season, now almost are we are? We kind of where we need to be. Yeah, I'm curious curious what you think about that.
Speaker 2: I'm with you, Seth. You're right. The Dodgers are where they need to be. They're in first place in the NL West, tied with the surprising Padres, who somehow with the team they have, are twenty two and fourteen. But like the Dodgers have talked about the last two years, you don't want to be a hot offensive team in May or June. You want to be hitting on all cylinders as an offense going into the postseason. So I guess that's the silver lining from what we've seen so far, Seth, that you would hope the best of the Dodger offense is yet to come, and you hope it's in October. So I'm with you on that level. But I will say this, Seth, it's shocking to me not more people have called in to ask when Mookie Betts is returning because Mookie Bets is very much needed right now in this lineup, and would I would go as far as to say, when Mookie Bets comes back, I would toy with the idea of putting him back in the leadoff spot.
Speaker 14: That you know what, I mean, You're right, and he's a huge presence in the lineup, and I think that just goes to the fact that nobody's been really asking about him more. How how deep the Dodgers are. We all know that, and I agree with you, But to have his presence in the one or the two hole, I mean, it just makes everybody else better around him, It really does. And so you're right, they're kind of That's what I mean. They're still they're still where they they're in first place, and they clearly aren't fully healthy. But yeah, I don't know, I mean, I don't know. Here's a question, is show Hey okay coming out of the Is he okay coming out of the leadoff spot? I mean, I'd be good with putting Vets there, taking a little pressure off Show Hey, But is he good with that?
Speaker 1: And I know he did it.
Speaker 2: Last year mentality, he did it last year when they were trying to jumpstart Mookie. So in that situation when Mooki was trying to search for anything, the Dodgers even tried the leadoff spot to get him going, and know Tani was, uh, you know. The one thing about Otawi people don't seem to to really want to accept is that he's a good teammate. And that was proof last year. I gotta run, Seth. Thank you for the phone call. Great call. Yeah, Mookie Bets is supposed to take live BP tomorrow, So you're hoping that the Dodgers are going to get Mookie Bets back here in the next week or so. Like I said, and I'm not talking about the Mookie Bets from last year. I'm looking for the Mookie Bets of two years ago and the Mookie Bets we have known his entire career. That's the Mookie Bets the Dodgers need. Let's take one more phone call, Spencer in Duarte. You're on Dodgery Talk. How you doing, Spencer, Hey.
Speaker 5: Dave, quick question for you.
Speaker 6: A lot of thoughts this year has been about Ken Rokie Sasaki kind of get it all together, figure it out, be the starting pitcher that we need him to be. And at the same time, can Emmett she and Stan in the lineup. Do you think there would be any type of beneficial positivity to maybe having rookie start a game, maybe go four five innings, and then have Emmit she and take the back end or vice versa.
Speaker 2: I thought, actually that, Spencer, I think that may have been the plan before this injury to Glass now, because you can't take Robleski out of the rotation the way he's pitching to be that guy in that role, and you know, there's an argument to be made. The jury still out on whether or not Emmit Sheen is a starting pitcher or whether or not he's better as a reliever. So right now, if you just had to pick one man that was out, it would be Shehan out of those three. But now with the injury to Glass now and the uncertainty with whether or not he's going on the IL, that's kind of a moot point, Spencer. Wouldn't you say, Hey, pot him up, we need to hear stay there we go?
Speaker 5: Sorry?
Speaker 6: Sorry, Dave. It went back to I was a really big fan of Dustin May and the cat Man. I always thought they should have been a boy.
Speaker 2: Down down boy, Hey, I heard your dog working in the back, so I just want to calm him down.
Speaker 6: I always thought I always thought those two would have been a good duo when they were younger as well.
Speaker 13: So, but thanks for the thanks for their feedback.
Speaker 2: I mean, look at Dustin May. Couldn't stay healthy. He he had maybe the nastiest pitch, maybe the nastiest stuff on the Dodger staff, just couldn't put it together consistently. Absolutely, you know you can't just be a thrower. I think what we've learned is you have to be a pitcher. And Mark Pryor was our pregame guest. We shared that full conversation on Dodger Talk last night. I thought, if you go back to listen to what he said about Justin Robleski at some point, and it feels like even Dave Roberts said this in Toronto. The industry is turning back to having starters being able to face the lineup three times if you're good enough, and Justin Robleski has proven you can do that without getting swing and miss. Now is that sustainable the whole year? I think it is no strikeouts in one start. That's not going to happen every time. You got to get a few swings and misses, but he has proven that there are other ways to get out and with the defense the Dodgers have and it's been the best in baseball this year. What's wrong with having a guy that induces a lot of contact? All right, that'll do it for us. On Dodger Talk Tonight tomorrow will be out at Downey Hunday, seventy five fifty Firestone Boulevard. It is going to be a party Alex Vesia from four to five o'clock. We have tickets to give away to Vesia's May twenty ninth Bobblehead Night at Dodgers Stadium, and we have BJ's gift cards to give away as well. Four to five o'clock me Vesia and you at Downy Hunday. Look forward to seeing you out there tomorrow. On Friday night, Dodgers return home to start a seven game homestand it begins with the best team in the National League, the Atlanta Braves em It Shean against Chris Sale. Our coverage begins at six o'clock with first pitch at seven ten. In case you missed any of the show, you know where to find it. The iHeartRadio app. Make Dodger Talk a preset. Subscribe and you'll never miss an interview or a show. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald and Houston, Thanks to Zach lcaldy here in Burbank, and thanks to you for listening once again. The final score the Dodgers beat the Astros twelve to two. Petrose money right around the corner on a five seventy LA Sports see them.
Speaker 1: This has been another edition of world champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 10: We are best to be yet to.
Speaker 1: Catch anything you missed, but be sure to subscribe follow us wherever you get your podcasts. Dodger Talk has been brought to you by First five California and by Daniel S. Jewelers, official sponsor of every trip around the Diving own the Tree.
Speaker 5: Dodger's the best team ever.
Speaker 4: I mean that's the best team I've ever seen assembled on paper.
Speaker 1: Join us next time is the Quest for the Three that continues on your exclusive home of the Dodgers Audio Network