Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talking.
Speaker 2: We're between games here in the Bronx, a doubleheader for the Dodgers and Yankees, and we're joining right now by the man, the king of New York sports media, The New York Post, the California Post, the one and only John Hayman. John. Great to be back in the house that Hayman built.
Speaker 3: I think it's.
Speaker 1: Called something else. David, You're the best. I love being on with you. I appreciate this.
Speaker 2: When you take a look at the Dodgers from the East Coast and nationally, are they the envy of every other team out there right now?
Speaker 1: I'm sure they are. I mean, they won two in a row. They're prohibitive favorites this year. They look fantastic. I mean, obviously every team's got some worries. Will Smith, who I think is the best catcher in baseball. There's certainly something to worry about in Otani now taking a break from pitching is certainly a setback there. But I mean, you know, the Atoni is the best player in the world. I mean, Freddie Freeman, first ballot Hall of Famer, and they just got a great I mean, you could call them complimentary players, but they're great players. Muncie Pats, Edmund te Oscar up and down that team. They're really terrific, and it's amazing the way they produce players. I mean, everybody they call up seems to be productive, whether it be Robleski or whomever. They all come up and help the Dodgers. A very few and far between come up and do not produce what they expect.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like Yamamoto is starting to get the recognition he deserves or being one of the top three pitchers arguably in the.
Speaker 3: Game, Well he should. I mean I agree with you.
Speaker 1: I mean I would still rank Schooble number one, but I mean at this point I would go with Yamamoto as the number two pitcher in the game. That's you know, I mean, he is terrific. When he did in the World Series last year, just amazing. I mean that was worth that contract. I know that both New York teams tried, they stopped. At some point, I just felt that he was going to to be a Dodger all along. The rumor had been out there that he wanted to be on the West coast, and he eliminated the Giants very quickly, and I started to have my doubts, but he ended up with the Dodgers and it wasn't all about the money.
Speaker 3: In the end.
Speaker 1: He did want to be a Dodger, and I can't blame him. Who wouldn't want to be a Dodger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think everybody wants to be a Dodger these days. When you look at their starting rotation for October, though, with the Otani left knee putting that in question, they are going to get Snell back, So you got the one to two combination of Snell and Yamamoto. Do you believe this Otani left knee issue is going to maybe make things more interesting at the trade deadline for the Dodgers to pursue a starter.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I do think that they're going to need to pursue a starter. I mean, I'm far be it from me to tell them what to do. I mean, they've been incredible with all their decisions, you know, I would think so the word was kind of getting out there that they probably weren't going to go for schoobl They didn't want to give up. You know, they have the best prospect lists in baseball. I think seven top one hundred prospects, and the word was getting out that that they really weren't anxious to do it. They felt Snell would be back, and they saw a Glass now coming back at some point, and they were looking at it like, well, I mean, sure, of course Scooba might be a little.
Speaker 3: Better than almost anybody.
Speaker 1: But a Snell's a top ten pitcher went healthy, Glass now a top twenty pitcher went healthy. But at this point there are just too many questions. I mean, I still count Snell as a question. He's not back yet. Glass now a question. And now you've got O'tani as a question. I mean, I like Robuski, you know, I think he's a playoff starter.
Speaker 3: He was an all start, looked good in the game. I like him.
Speaker 1: But you know, at this point, I would say that would be the one thing that they would be good if they could get go get his starter. And the market's going to be tough. It is a severe seller's market. A lot of those guys we expected to be out there are now probably not going to be out there. I don't think Sonny Gray is going to be traded. I don't see how. It doesn't feel like Contra is going to be traded, and we have to question on Schooble too, is he really going to be traded? So, you know, is there are there is there going to be even one bona fide playoff starter out there? If there is, I expect the Dodgers probably will be in the mix at this point.
Speaker 2: Are you believing the Tigers will hold on to Schooble the rest of the year.
Speaker 1: At this point, I kind of think that they probably will. They've wanted to think ten out of thirteen as we do this, so to me, I think that they I think so.
Speaker 3: I think they'll go for it.
Speaker 1: You know, I had been hearing rumors that, you know, when they were doing poorly, that they'd probably traded either way just because you should be able to get some a whole for him, just like when Sambathew was traded at the deadline of the Brewers. You know, there were two very top prospects in that deal, and that's kind of what they were looking at. They don't seem like a World Series contender to me, but in the American League, it feels like almost anything can happen. I mean, I believe I don't believe in Boston. I think Boston should be a playoff team. I'm not completely convinced on Detroit or they do have a positive run differential, and they are in a weak Division two, so they could actually steal that Division two.
Speaker 2: John Hayman is our guest MLB Network, New York Post, California Post is our guest at Yankee Stadium. All Right, when you look at the landscape around baseball, the Dodgers are the favorites. But who would you say is the team that could give them the most trouble in the playoffs.
Speaker 1: Well, I would say either Milwaukee or Philadelphia or Atlanta if they get another starter. I've been suggesting that Atlanta go get another starting pitcher to pair with Sale forever and they haven't done it. They've still maintained and they're still in first place. So I mean, they're a tough team. But you know, if you look at Philly with Wheeler and Sanchez at the top, and you look at Milwaukee, if Harrison gets better, you've got Harrison and certainly the miz So each of those teams has two top starters. But you know, it's not all about starters. If you look at the total the team in totality, and that's the way it is. You know, I think we sometimes over over rate the importance of starters. The Atlanta Braves had the best starters for a decade. They only won one World Series, right, So the Tigers had incredible combination of starters when they had sures or In Verlander and Annabel Sanchez and you know, so many good starters and they didn't win the World Series with So I might be overstating the importance of the starters. I mean, if you just look at the entire teams, you know, the Dodgers are huge favorites. I feel like, once again, uh, you know, if I were going to pick one, I'm going to say the miz with Milwaukee with Harrison back because I do like the rest of that Brewer team and it's pretty impressive what they do in Milwaukee.
Speaker 2: All right, before I let John Hayman go, You've been around the game a long time. Roberts earlier today was holding court with all of us. Dave Roberts is one of the few managers that still wears his uniform top. And I don't think we've seen a manager hold court that way in the dugout in a long time. Am I wrong? How Rare is it to have Dave Roberts still have some of those old school traits with the way he's able to, you know, walk that line.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like it.
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess on the road, you know, he still have the most media with the Dodgers, but I mean at home it's probably overwhelming. I mean, I can only imagine how many in a home game are there.
Speaker 3: So it was kind of a nice group.
Speaker 1: There was only about ten or twelve media people, and it was nice to see a manager relax and chat with the.
Speaker 3: Media like that. Occasionally we see it.
Speaker 1: I've seen aj Hinch, Dowart, some of the other top managers who are very comfortable in their own skin, will occasionally do that in New York. But you know, he's got a lot of meat people in a home, so it's probably difficult to do at home. As by the way, you don't see it at home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true. There's a lot of international media John Hayman.
Speaker 1: International media any probably his family and other things going on at home. Now he's on the road, so he's got a little more time to chit chat. And we're still more than two weeks away from the trade deadline, so you know, I don't blame him for being relaxed.
Speaker 3: This team will relax you. Now.
Speaker 1: I don't want to judge from these games with the Yankees because they are particularly terrible, you know so, But I've seen the Dodgers enough to know they are the best team in baseball. I know they had a bad series against the Diamondbacks. I can't even believe it, but it happens o one hundred and sixty two games. I've only seen one team really go through the whole thing without any trouble, and that was the ninety eight Yankees. And I say that, but the first I believe they lost the first three games of that season. So even that team had a little bit of a hiccup, but from there on nothing so that it just doesn't happen.
Speaker 2: Well, these Dodgers are going to try to do with those Yankees, and that's three peat. John Hayman was there for that. We'll see where it goes this year. Thanks a lot for the time and great to catch up with you, and hopefully we see you next weekend at City Field.
Speaker 1: Always a pleasure. I will be there and watching probably some more Dodger victory. So I'm guessing we'll see we'll see here.
Speaker 2: It looks that way. John, thanks a lot for the time