Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: We're join right now by a man that knows all about the Dodger Giants rivalry, the nineteen eighty eight SI Young Award winner World Series MVP, the only man in baseball history to be awarded the NLCSMVP and ALCSMVP, and one of those few Dodgers that did wear the orange and black for a short time. That's the one and only Oral Herscheizer Bulldog. Thanks a lot for the time. Great to be in San Francisco with you.
Speaker 1: It's amazing and you saying that I was on both sides of this equation. My current business partner, Eddie Alizade, had a poster of me in his bedroom, and when I became a Giant, he tore it down and ripped it up. But I'm still friends with him and still business partners.
Speaker 2: What was the reception here when you did come to the Giants late in your career.
Speaker 1: Although there were reasons that I chose the Mets, the Giants and the Cleveland Indians at the time now the Guardians, but chose because I wanted to be a better baseball person when I retired and I wanted to experience American League baseball, and they were a team that was scoring about seven runs a game, and I'm like, I think I can pitch that well, so I could win some games over there. Then I chose the Mets because I thought the New York met fans would hold me accountable. Because of the city of New York. I wanted everything we did against them in eighty eight, and I wanted to live in New York. I think it's one of the greatest cities in the world, and I wanted my kids and family to be exposed to that. I chose San Francisco for the same reason, another great city in the United States. I knew the fans would hold me accountable. They had a chance. We lost in Game one, sixty three to the Cubs that year, and the Mets we made it to the playoffs. The Indians. We were in the playoffs all three years I was there, ninety five, ninety six to ninety seven, So it was about winning and getting in the right experience and having a fan base that would hold me accountable. And my body gave out before I turned forty two that I could not continue to pitch, and my last stop was going to be the Chicago Cubs, live in a brownstone and work wow. But it didn't work out. But not all free agents picked places just because they get paid a lot or just I actually had a plan for my life in that part, and it wasn't about the money at all.
Speaker 2: What about the post playing equation. You were a coach, you were a part of a front office. Did you want to experience what it was like and how it was done in other organizations. Yeah.
Speaker 1: When I was a player, early on, I noticed what was going on with people in the front office, in management, in broad with broadcasters, and really was always a one way street. When you left the field, you weren't really allowed to come back. But then there were executives and managers that started to go to broadcasting and they were able to come back to managing. There were executives that went to broadcasting and went back to being a general manager, so all of a sudden it became a two way street. So I felt like I need to have a full education of baseball, and the only part of baseball that I hadn't experienced was the front office. So the first thing I did was when I signed with the Cleveland Indians, back then as far as an executive, it was associate general manager like we see Chase Sutley doing and other guys. So I wanted to learn the front office and what was going on from naming rights and uniform designs and scheduling and free agent signings and scouting. I wanted to be involved in all those meetings. So when I went to John Hart, who was the executive there, I said, John, all I want. I'm not worried about salary. I'm not worried about how much I work. All I want is to be able to be in any meeting possible. I want to be in all meetings and not get kicked out because I just want the education. And so I did that for a while, and then I became the Texas Ranger pitching coach because we fired our pitching coach, and I told them that the only way I'll become the pitching coach is if you still let me in any meeting so that I can continue to learn. So it was a baseball education that I was after, and you know, it led me to ESPN, it led me to the Dodgers, and I'm I'm just glad when I look out on the field that I know how the whole industry works.
Speaker 2: Speaking of ESPN oral hersha As. It was part of a very special Jackie Robinson broadcast last week with Joe Buck and Ron Darling. What was that experience like working with Joe Buck for the first time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, Joe's going into the Hall of Fame and it's kind of about time. Ron Darling has always been a guy that I've never turned the volume down on my TV. I want to hear what he has to say. I learned from Ron all the time, so I was excited to be in that booth. I was even more excited that it was Jackie Robinson Day. And it was hard to say this on the air during the game because baseball is a joyous occasion. It's a distraction for people to watch and enjoy and come home from work and see it. But the thing I wanted people to remember about Jackie Robinson Day was all the hard things that he went through and how he handled it so well, and how Rachel handled it so well, and some of his teammates handled it so well, so that you know, we don't we celebrate him and we remember him, and we've retired the number and they get to wear it all on that day. But the work and the pain and the suffering that he went through, it's hard to tell people about that. That that respect and that level of admiration that we should have for this man that paid, you know, not the ultimate price, but I would say he probably died early because of all that stress that he went through and the family went through. So being a Dodger, being part of Jackie Robinson Day on the ESPN broadcast, it was an honor. But the thing that I can say in this pregame show to you and to all everybody out there, is that we need to remember Jackie for the price that he paid and all the work that he put in.
Speaker 2: Well said, And how about this Jackie Robinson, the ultimate dodger. When he was treated to the Giants, he decided to retire rather than play for the Giants.
Speaker 1: Oh now you really put me in a bad foot.
Speaker 2: I should have never Why didn't you retire? Oh?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I should have never went to Peter McGowan's house for dinner and got convinced to be a giant. But you know what, San Francisco is a great place. It's a great organization. I know they've been on some dry times. But I love the fact that we have a rivalry, the Northern and Southern California rivalry, and it will be good for the Dodgers and good for the nationallygue West, and good for baseball as the Giants get better, because we want that intense brotherly love, kind of brotherly hate, brotherly everything. I say that at some time there used to be this brother this brother relationship used to be more physical, let's say, And now it's just kind of you go over to your brother's room, you knock on the door and say, turn the music down.
Speaker 2: What an analogy. That's a good one.
Speaker 1: You used to fight your brother. Now in this generation, we just ask them to turn the music down.
Speaker 2: Before I let you go. So many images that flash through my mind when you talk about Dodgers, Giants and your teams at Candlestick Park. What was it like for you to pitch at that ballpark? Because it feels like the Dodgers and Giants in this beautiful ballpark they built here are living a way better life than you guys did. Well.
Speaker 1: I loved Candlestick Park because I loved playing the wind. It was another element where you could win the game, and so if the wind was off my left cheek, there were other certain pitches that would do certain things. If it was off my right cheek, there were certain pitches that would do certain things. I would rather throw a hanging curveball and have Matt Williams hit it into the wind than to throw my best pitch ever low and away and now he hits it to right center where the wind was gusting out. I always followed the hot dog wrappers. I always talked to my infielders and outfielders about the wind, and I always looked at that place as a place that even though it was cold and it was rainy sometimes and it was you know, windy, those elements made it a next level for somebody who wanted to think on how to win the game, and those kind of elements.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. I've never heard any pitcher say those things to their strategy. As far as the wind coming on one side of your face to the other, that's just who oral herscheizer was.
Speaker 1: Well, if it's coming off my right cheek, it would accentuate my curveball and make the break bigger. And if it was coming off my right check with my sinker, it would make it go more straight down, and it was coming off my left cheek. It would make my sinker flatter because it wouldn't have any wind to bite against. But it would also then make my curve ball go more straight down, so it would change the pattern of the pitches. And in doing that, then you apply that to the hitter. Then you apply that to the wind direction in the outfield. And what field do I want him to hit it to the left side of the right side, and you got a better chance of getting them out?
Speaker 2: All right, Here's the one question every Dodger fan wants to know. What was it like facing Will Clark? Was he a tough guy for you to face?
Speaker 1: He was, But that's where I loved using the wind. They were a tougher team to pitch to in Dodger Stadium because they had some great hitters that could spray the ball over the field. Like Will, he could pull the ball for power, he could go the opposite field of power. But when you're in Candlestick and the wind's blowing, I forced him to hit it into the wind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no doubt. Thanks a lot for the time and man orl Hers Scheizer and David Vassey in San Francisco. I never would have thought that when I was ten years old, but certainly a treat always to share you with everybody ORL and you know how much you mean to all of us in Los Angeles and to this franchise, and you're a treasure.
Speaker 1: This is so much fun to continue to live my dream and to be this close. The only frustration for me is that the arm and the body wore out. I wish I could go out there. It's not even close about the salaries, but these facilities and all the things that they get to walk onto this field. It's like walking on heaven on earth if you love baseball.
Speaker 2: No doubt. And Oral h Herscheiser will be on the call tonight with Joe Davis on Sports Net LA. Thanks ORL, you got it, David,