Speaker 1: The following takes place between seven pm and eight pm.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get to it. Seven eight seven hundred WLW. This is RNL Carrier Sports Talk, presented by Kelsey Chevrolet. I'm Lance Bacalister. I am glad you are here. We've got two hours to get it done tonight. Settle in and uh let's get to work.
Speaker 3: On some things. I'm gonna start here.
Speaker 2: I still find it almost impossible to believe the Indiana Hoosiers are the national champions in college football after beating Miami last night. I mean, we can complain all we want about the state of college football. That was one hell of a football game, and IU is one hell of a story. Kurt Signetti was right. He just wins twenty seven and two in two seasons.
Speaker 3: How about the.
Speaker 2: Fourth and five call pushes all the chips into the middle, and how about the run? And I still can't believe that the hits he took, the run by Fernando Mendoza and the initial hit and then the reach and they hit and the touchdown. He had to have needed help getting out of bed this morning because he took an absolute beating, including several cheap shots last night. Give Miami Credit. They answered adversity with two clutch touchdown drives late. But I and maybe maybe my excitement for this topic stems from my connection to the state of Indiana and to IU. I wouldn't consider ie you my favorite teams, but I do have a connection to the state of Indiana. I moved to Carmel from Cincinnati in the eighties. I went to high school in Indiana. I went to college in Indiana. I worked four years in Indiana. From a period of nineteen eighty to nineteen ninety two, I was in the state of Indiana. My sister went to IU. I spent a summer on the campus of IU for journalism camp when I was in high school.
Speaker 3: Mary Benedict the legend.
Speaker 2: I watched as a Bob Knight fan, Perfection as a ten year old in nineteen seventy six, I watched Isaiah lead them. In nineteen eighty one, I was at Butler watching from my dorm room at Ross Hall when Keith Smart hit the jumper from the corner of the wing on the pass from Dean Garrett. In college, I traveled to so many games in Bloomington. When I was interning at WRTV six, the India ABC affiliate to cover Indiana games to get postgame sound during the Bill Mallory years, he was there for thirteen years. We had season tickets when Sam Weish was their coach in the nineteen eighty three season, and man the football at times, oh man, it was tough. And it always seemed like Indiana would be like five and six or six and five and just get into.
Speaker 3: A ball and then lose the bowl game.
Speaker 2: And there was just so much that just wasn't happening with Indian footbaul And consider what has taken place in the last two years.
Speaker 3: And I looked it up this morning.
Speaker 2: From here to the Bloomington campus, it is one hundred and twenty eight miles, And I said last night, I tweeted this just before I went to bed. I was going to reserve some time for IU conversation tonight and IU calls. And somebody said to me today, do you think there's any IU listeners? Do you think anybody will call? And I said, well, I'm going to find out tonight. I would think there would be. With the power of a fifty thousand watt blow towards I would think most people. If you like sports, I bet you had a conversation today about the IU game last night. If you are an IU fan, the bat signal is officially out to you at five one, three, seven four nine, seven thousand, one eight hundred, the big one. If you're just a college football fan, if you're just a sports fan in general, and stand up and watch last night and have something to say about that game. I thought it was worthy of what we would call in radio terms, a topic a tonight. The first thing out of the shoot is IU football, and I don't know if that's gonna net a lot of calls. I don't know if it's gonna net no calls. I have no idea. I had the same conversation with my dad on the way in today. I said, I really don't know what to expect. But my sense is the game was so good and the storyline is so good that somebody will want to talk about what has transpired with Indiana basketball. To think that fifty years ago IU basketball was thirty two to h in national champs under Bob Knight, and no college basketball team has gone undefeated since, and that now last night, the Indiana football team, at sixteen and oho becomes an unbeat national champ and to backpedal to make this a little bit bigger of a picture, to expand rather than backpedal. The state of Indiana has authored the following Think about this for a second. The nineteen fifty four mile in high school storybook state Championship team, smallest school. They turned it into a movie Hoosiers IU Basketball. Then in eighteen twenty seventy six, twenty two years later goes thirty two to zero. Nobody has done that since. Nobody in college basketball has gone undefeated since My Butler Bulldogs. Yes I'm going to include my Butler Bulldogs. Out of the Horizon League, a school of four thousand went not just to the final four, but to the national Championship Game. And then to prove it was that a fluke went right back the next year to not just the Final four, but the national Championship game. Almost won the first one if a shot from Gordon Hayward and just like give me three inches to the and then you have the Indiana Hoosiers claiming the national championship.
Speaker 3: In college football, are you kidding me?
Speaker 4: Indiana?
Speaker 2: I entered last season with the most losses in the history of college football. They are the national champs tonight. They were preseason number twenty. If you ever needed another reason and not pay any attention to preseason bowls, they were preseason number twenty and they were picked to finish sixth in the Big Ten and their national champs. I believe AU football was established in eighteen ninety nine. They've won six bowl games. They won three in the first one hundred and twenty five years. They've won three in the last nineteen days or so, probably more than that. I mean, think about that for a second. They won six in the history of the school. They won three in this playoff format. So that's our starting point tonight. Maybe it's one person who wants to say, nice job, doesn't matter. I just felt it was worthy of conversation because of how good that game last night was and how incredible the story is, because you know his story is good when you're not sure what to compare it to. I was reading in the Athletic today and the line was Indiana's turnaround is one of the most unlikely stories in American sports history. And I started thinking about it, and I said, I don't I don't know where to begin on what it would be comparable to. I have no idea, And then I was asked further complicating this, I was asked last week the question was, well, if Indianna wins this, what's more impressive the nineteen seventy six basketball team going undefeated or the twenty twenty five football team going undefeated and claiming a national championship. And I don't even know how to begin to compare that. So I'm starting with a lot of questions. I guess I'm looking for answers, and I'm giving you a phone number at five one, three, seven four nine, seven thousand, one, eight hundred, the Big One. We'll see what we got next. Right now, Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet seven hundred.
Speaker 3: WWW. The field and it is and are something.
Speaker 5: By Indiana.
Speaker 1: A play.
Speaker 2: Then it is Tomori Shirk who comes on for.
Speaker 3: The bang and he runs in the They're gonna come anally?
Speaker 2: What all the hair standing up on my arms? The goat Don Fischer, by the way, Drew Andy Furman, the legend, checked in off air and says, hey, you know, Indiana trailed Old Dominion seven nothing in the first game of the season. Think about that, Thank you, Drew, think about it? Trailed seven nothing, to Old Dominion in the very first game of the season. In fact, in that game, Indiana fumbled. You know what Indiana did not do the rest of the year lose a fumble. They lost that fumble in the first quarter, did not lose another fumble the rest of the year. They went over a thousand offensive plays and fifteen games and only lost one fumble in the opener to Old Dominion. Incredible statistic. Great to hear from Andy Furman. By the way, that voice you heard Don Fisher fifty third year as the legendary Hall of Fame announcer, seventy eight years old, and Don Fisher can lay claim to being behind the microphone when Indiana went thirty two and oh under the General Robert Montgomery night in nineteen seventy six, and behind the mic last night when the Indiana football program finished an unbeaten season to claim a national championship. Unbelievable. I've got one an Indiana fan in indian By the way, they're listening in Bloomington, Bloomington tonight. Shout out to Bloomington, Indiana listening on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: They're listening in Lincoln, Nebraska tonight and they have checked in from Naperville, Illinois.
Speaker 3: That's where Kelly's from.
Speaker 2: So hello to all and thank you for using the Iheard Radio app to listen to sports talk wherever you are around the country and around the world. Are Indiana fan in Indie? Mike, you were on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 4: Oh Lance, I am just deliriously happy today.
Speaker 3: Man, unbelievable.
Speaker 4: Yes, honestly, everything all season has felt like, Okay, well, then you know, they get to this next step, but that's you know, that's where this ends, where you know. And then they got to the Big Ten championship game, and once they beat Ohio State and it wasn't a fluke. It wasn't you know, some crazy play that did it. It was they stood toe to toe with Ohio State. That was the turning point for me in terms of just Okay, this team can do whatever they want.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good way to put it, because they became a machine. I mean once they hit, once they hit the playoffs in Steamroll, Alabama, and just I mean, my goodness, I think in the end I saw they outscored their opponents six sixty six to one eighty seven.
Speaker 3: Holy cow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just an amazing an amazing, amazing game yesterday was a little more tense than I was ready for, but you know, it just it could not have The whole ride has been unbelievable.
Speaker 3: Was it to go out to the Rose Bowl?
Speaker 4: Oh? I saw friends that I haven't seen in twenty five years since I was in college. So everything about it has been awesome.
Speaker 2: Oh that's very cool, Mike. I appreciate you. Listen, thanks for calling. Yep, have a good night. It was one of those games, one of those connections. I'm texting my sister late last night, who lives in Marietta, Georgia, who's an IU grad. I'm texting one of my best friends who I went to high school with, Gary Hamblin, who lives in North Carolina, who went to IU. I spent many weekends on the IU campus in his dorm room, hanging out weekends in Bloomington. It's one of those things you start texting everybody you know who has a connection to the Indiana Hoosiers. Right, so we got an IU fan. I'm happy about that. I'd certainly take more, but let me take care of some headlines before the bottom of the hour and check on news college basketball tonight. Speaking of Bloomington, the Indiana Hoosiers the basketball team off to a slow start today. Yikes, about nine minutes to go in the first half in and Arbor tonight, Indiana trailing Michigan. Talk about a good team, Michigan on top of the Hoosiers twenty two to eight. The Miami RedHawks have jumped out to a twenty two to fifteen leader for Kent State. Miami trying to get to twenty and zero in the season I saw yesterday IU. Miami was actually a point and a half underdog in that game. This morning, the line had flipped in Miami became a one and a half point favorite to begin the day. Miami with about the eleven minutes to go in the first half, leading twenty make it twenty five fifteen updating before my very eyes, a twenty eight footer by Elmer gives him a ten point lead. What else on the scoreboard? Ohio State at the half leading Minnesota in Big twelve Big Ten play thirty one, twenty eight and the Ohio Bobcats trailing Northern Illinois now leading make it thirteen to eleven, about eleven minutes to go in the first half. Rest of the games we will monitor and report throughout the evening. The Baseball Hall of Fame has two more members, the class of twenty twenty six. Couple outfitters Carlos Beltran and Beltron and Andrew Jones. Beltron nine time All Star, four hundred and thirty five home runs, three goal gloves, Andrew Jones ten goal gloves, four hundred and thirty four home runs.
Speaker 3: In fact, what did I see here?
Speaker 2: Beltron got eighty four point two percent of the vote. Andrew Jones got seventy eight point four percent of the vote, seventy five needed for entry. Next in line at fifty nine point one percent, Chase Utley leading the way over the likes of Pettitt, who got just over forty eight percent. King Felix Sernandez got forty six percent, a big jump from last year. Ay Rod got forty percent, Manny Ramirez thirty eight point eight. Bobby Bray who very underrated in my opinion, got thirty point eight percent of the vote. If U realize, there are now eight braves from those nineties teams. Eight braves in fact, all played together, are all part of the ninety seven team in the Hall of Fame. Andrew Jones Chipper Jones, Fred McGriff, Tom Glavin, Greg Maddox, John Smoltz, the manager Bobby Cox, and the general manager John Shirhols. Holy cow. That a lot of that group part of what was fourteen straight division titles during that time frame.
Speaker 3: What else?
Speaker 2: Tomorrow night, Xavier takes on two game winning streak to Omaha to take on Creighton at seven. Joe and Byron with it on fifty five care see Bearcats are in Tucson to take on number one ranked Arizona. Coverage with Dan and Terry starting at eight thirty. Scott Springer checks in from the scene from the Acquirer at eight. NFL John Harbaugh officially introduced as coach of the Giants.
Speaker 3: The Titans tab Robert Sala as their new head coach.
Speaker 2: NFL Conference Championship Sunday, Patriots at the Broncos at three, Rams at the Seahawks at six thirty. Both games here on seven hundred und up. All right, final thoughts on IU maybe as we hit the bottom of the hour. Their most recent bowl win entering this college football playoff was the Copper Bowl in nineteen ninety one. That's three straight national titles for the Big Ten Michigan, Ohio State, Indiana. Somebody check on Paul Finebaum and Indiana beat Oregon twice, Ohio State, Alabama, Miami. They won five games against teams that finished in the committee's top ten to win the national championship. I'll tell you what that Charlie Becker. All he does is make big catch. I've never seen a guy make as many tough contested catches as Charlie Becker does. And one final note, this flew me away. Indiana was the first team in thirty years to win a first time I'M national championship. That goes back to the Florida Gators. Think about that. Everybody else in the previous twenty nine years when they won it had won one previously. That to me is an incredible stat You know, I you multiple national championships, Uh team, multiple teams, Alabama multiple national championships. Indiana is the last team to win their first national championship in the last thirty years. Unbelievable. All right, Tom, Maybe another segment with some Indiana fans. Five one, three, seven, four, nine, seven thousand, one eight hundred, The Big One, the idea of comparing the two. I don't know where to begin I'll try to figure that out. Next RNL Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet seven hundred WLW, He's.
Speaker 6: Got Ty talks on the nine times up Waves as we first time gop diving, Cody all Town tapsdown.
Speaker 4: Trophy.
Speaker 3: I still.
Speaker 2: Won the play call, and you just got the sense that Kurt Signetti did not think the way Miami was running the football. He just got a sense that he did not think Indiana was going to be able to slow Miami and could not kick a field goal at that point. He goes for it fourth and five and a keeper Mendoza gets hit and then gets hit again and reaches out and got clobor to the goal line and gets the touchdown. You know, Andy Furman checking it off here and mentioning, I you trailed Old Dominion. It got me thinking how many times Indiana even trailed this season. They trailed in the fourth quarter against Iowa thirteen to ten. They trailed in the fourth quarter against Penn State when Mendoza comes up with the big touchdown in the catch in the back of the end zone, they win the game. And they trailed Ohio State in the third quarter. They did not trail during the playoff runs the Indiana Hoosiers claim the national championship. You know, I was thinking during the break I am. In nineteen ninety one, Indiana opened the season against Notre Dame in South Bend, and I was working at the CBS station in South Bend at that point, and we did an hour long season opening special on the game. So they sent me to South or to Bloomington for Indiana Media Day to start the season, and you know, did a whole bunch of interviews to put in the can, as they say, to have them ready for our season opening preview and talk with Bill Mallory and Trent Green and guys like that. I you lost that opener forty nine twenty seven in South Bend. They wound up going to the Copper Bowl and they won that the last time they had won a bowl game prior to this run at the end of that nineteen ninety one season with Trent Green as a quarterback. But man, I incite I you had a running back around that time who I watched in high school. Sheared in Indiana shared in high school, named Brent Law. They had Anthony Thompson at one point, they had Von Dunbar at one point who I watched play high school football at Fort Wayne Snyder. I think it was I'll never forget when Terry Hepnor took the job there. I remember asking him, why are you taking that job? And he said, I'm going to win. And sadly Terry was there two years and then the health issues and then sadly he passed away and I'm miss him dearly. When I was at Butler, Butler's coach was Bill Lynch, who eventually took over at IU. Cam Cameron, a quarterback at IU, was their head coach for a time in Twine Randall All in the late nineties was a fantastic player for Indiana football. I mean, the legendary story back to the League Courso days is that at one point in Bloomington, with Indiana leading Ohio State, Indiana had not led Ohio State in a game in like a quarter of a century. And if I remember this correctly, Indiana took the lead one Saturday against Ohio States seven to six, and Lee Corso called time out and they took a picture of the scoreboard, the team in the sidelines with the scoreboard in the background showing that Indiana was leading Ohio State.
Speaker 3: I will never forget that.
Speaker 2: And Sam Wish was there for the nineteen eighty three season for his one year and then took over took over the Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 3: I keep thinking about.
Speaker 2: What the athletic wrote today and trying to put it in terms of what it is comparable to, and the line was Indiana's turnaround is one of the most unlikely stories in American sports history. I want to say, like Cinderella story, but this isn't. This isn't a worst to first story. This isn't like a team that finished last one year and then won the Super Bowl the next year, or finished last one year and won the World Series the next year. This was, to begin the season the worst college foot ball team in the history of college football program. I mean, the team last year obviously lost to Indiana or at lost to Ohio State in the College or Notre Dame Inhio and the college football playoffs. But it's the bigger picture of what the program was two years ago to winning the national championship. I mean, sure you could say the I guess the eighty miracle on ice, but I just don't know that there's something that I would I would find a fair apples to apples comparison of just what the turnound is like. If this is up to date, and I think it is, Indiana is one of an eye. I would not have guessed there were this many schools. Indiana is one of eleven schools to win a national championship in both football and basketball. And a lot of this goes back to teams wanted in the fifties in football, and there were there were so many different way whether it was the Coach's Pole or the upa United Press International Poll. There were different designations for now national championships, national champions and that's evolved over the years and computers and bcs and to the College Football Playoff. But the list I saw this morning, including Indiana now is UCLA. UCLA won a shared a national championship in nineteen fifty four with Ohio State, Ohio State, Syracuse, Maryland, Michigan State, cal Florida, Arkansas, Michigan, Stanford to go along with Indiana, one of eleven schools to lay claim to a national championship in both football and basketball. And I'm assuming for the sake of this, none of those other ten, let's see, UCLA would have had undefeated. Wait, well, wait a minute, did UCLA's national championship football team have an undefeated season? I was wondering if Indiana is the only one to have an undefeated national champ in both sports, but certainly John Woodin's Bruins had sixty seven seventy two to seventy three unbeaten, and I think that fifty four football team went undefeated from memory of looking it up earlier this morning. The other question I was asked, and I think this is almost impossible, is which one's more impressive winning a college basketball national championship going thirty two and oh in nineteen seventy six or winning the college football national championship going sixteen to oh in twenty twenty five twenty twenty six season. No one's ever gone sixteen and oh in winning the national championship because the season hasn't been that long. For the most part, I think time would be on the side of the argument for basketball because it has stood up for fifty years nobody's which makes it more impressive. But the football team hasn't had years, you know, to add to its resume for the argument. But fifty years nobody else has finished in undefeated National championship season in college basketball. That was an experienced Indiana team in seventy six. You can talk about the age of this IU team, but I would I would argue it would have been easier from a basketball standpoint with four year players that you recruited and developed and there wasn't the transfer portal and Nil and Jez. That team in seventy six would have been Scotty May would have been a senior, Quinn Buckner would have been a senior, Bobby Wilkerson a senior, Tom Abernathy a senior, Jim Cruz a senior, and I think Kent Benson was a junior on that team, So that it was easier that you that Bob Knight had a group that he he groomed and developed and coached up. Kurt Signetti added what twenty two players in the transfer portal this year. I still find it amazing that he added last season he had added I think fourteen players from James Madison, his previous school as part of the foundation for all of this. You know, somebody on my Facebook page asked answered this question by simply saying, do we have to choose?
Speaker 3: And I said, if you're an IU fan.
Speaker 2: No, you don't have to because you've got a national champion in both So maybe that ultimately is the best answer. All right, Heading down the Stretch on Saturday night, it's one of the coolest scenes around the area.
Speaker 3: Each year.
Speaker 2: It involves a Teddy Bear toss for a fantastic cause. It is something the Cyclones do really, really well. We're going to talk with their play by play voice and much more. Eight o'clock hour, some Reds Fest and around eight twenty or so something tied into an event on this day in Cincinnati sports history. All of that is we roll on. It's right l Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet seven hundred Wlway. Heading down the Stretch News in eight minutes eight minutes on Lance Pacamister. I'm on Twitter at Lance pacailister.
Speaker 3: If you follow, thank you.
Speaker 2: If you don't, we'd love to have you also be it Instagram or TikTok.
Speaker 3: You can find me.
Speaker 2: I'm on every I'm on too many platforms at Lance McAllister x, Instagram and TikTok. And if Facebook is your thing, absolutely jump in. We're talking Indiana, We're talking the Reds in more. Lance MacAllister Sports Talk at this very moment, Let's talk hockey Cyclones home this Saturday for the coolest thing you'll ever see their Teddy bear toss Mattine against the Fort Wayne comments. For more on that, let's go straight to the source, the outstanding play by play voice of yours Cincinnati Cyclones. That would be Rudy Hudgson. How are you.
Speaker 5: I am great, Thanks for having me on. Great to hear your voice. And I'm excited to see the Teddy Bears fly here at Its Bank Center this weekend. How are you?
Speaker 2: I am well, and I'm excited about this because I love when you you can paint the picture of all this because the visual it is iconic, Explain the concept in what's going.
Speaker 5: To happen, absolutely so. The Cyclone host of Fort Wayne comments this Saturday, it's a four pm puck trop And those that don't know what the teddy Bear toss is. Once the Cyclones score their first goal of the game, you can bring as many bears as you like to the building and you throw them over the glass, throw them at the opposing goalie if you like, and all those bears go to a great cause. They benefit our Cincinnati Police Cincinnati FD and it's all amazing. Matthew twenty five minutes. Striies also in the mix.
Speaker 2: Have you been hitting the head by a stuffed animal while broadcasting?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 5: But I'm not sure if you remember this, But last year I said that broadcast is before me. What warned me that if they if people don't like you, they'll turn around soll bears at you. So I must be doing a pretty good job because nobody throw a bear at me last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: Okay, So so backtrack a little bit here, refresh my memory. Does this take place when a goal is scored or when the game is over? What's the moment that triggers it?
Speaker 5: All? The Cyclone's first goal, so it could happen at any point.
Speaker 3: Last year we got down to the wire.
Speaker 5: It's like five minutes to go in the game, but it could happen as soon as the Cyclone score.
Speaker 2: And the fact that it's a matt and Ay I love because you can go late afternoon and still have the rest of your Saturday night to enjoy as well.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, and it's a day full of hockey because earlier in the morning we have our frozen five K ten K, so I'll have all the hot chocolate, all the marathon, all the runners want to come down, and so it could be a whole day at the bank. So you can run for a couple of minutes and then you can go go enjoy a meal and then come on back to the rinks.
Speaker 2: Speaking of meals, I must ask were did you happen to be part of the meal the team meal at Jeff Ruby's where the chef prepared a goalie mask cake.
Speaker 5: I've seen it. It is awesome. It is fantastic, and I'm jealous. I kind of want my own. My parents are coming in town for the first time next month, and that's the first place I'm going to take them to. I'm going to make sure we get the goalie helmet.
Speaker 3: That was awesome.
Speaker 2: Go back to yesterday if we could, because it was Kids' Day so that was an early start. Lost a while one six', Five but the scene in that place with the vie of kids must be really.
Speaker 3: Cool At Heritage Bank.
Speaker 5: Center, yeah and you know, what Hockey hockey fans are getting younger and. Younger it seems like more young people are getting into the, game so it's kind of fun to see a younger crowd pack the barn and have a good time and you, know the kids eat free thing and also our field trip. Game it's a good way for us to stay engaged with younger folks that want to get into the, game and you, know it's growing and we're happy to be a small part of that here in our.
Speaker 2: Community i'm a big fan Of Justin, vibe the. Captain he experienced a milestone here over the inside the last. Week explain what took place AND i saw the. Video what a really cool presentation from the organization to him with the.
Speaker 5: Jersey, ABSOLUTELY i, mean anytime we can, honor anytime we can honor the Big, cat it's a good. Day and you, know he does so much for. Us and he was the First cyclone to play in five hundred games with the organization and just to put it in a, perspective eleven seasons With, cincinnati and he loved it. Here we love having him and he IS i, mean you name a, record he probably owns. It for us to have a nice honor, HIM i, mean it couldn't happened to a better. Guy and we're glad he's our.
Speaker 2: Captain absolutely all. Right, saturday the place to be is at The cyclones. Game tell everybody how they can get.
Speaker 3: Tickets, yep so you can join.
Speaker 5: Us get your ticket To Cyclones hockey dot. Com we hope you can join us four pm pup drop like you, Said and if you can't make it to the, building you can always tune in On Flow hockey and The cyclones radio. Network you'll hear my. Voice and, also This saturday is going to be one of our games through our partnership With fox, nineteen so you can catch that on nineteen point. Three so if you have an, antenna put the hockey game on it and you'll see it and you'll hear.
Speaker 3: It sounds like a play In, rudy you're the.
Speaker 5: Man you.
Speaker 3: Know you're welcome. Anytime thank you and good catching.
Speaker 5: UP i appreciate. It thanks so much for having.
Speaker 2: Me all, right take. Care there you Go. Saturday Teddy bear. Toss it's what a really cool.
Speaker 3: Scene of, THOUSANDS i mean thousands Of Teddy bears for a fantastic cause being tossed out of the. Ice all, right let's wrap up the.
Speaker 2: Hour i'm going to close the hour with a SECOND i you fan, CALLING i may have overshot my expectations for the hour ON iu. Conversation But i'm gonna finish strong In. Brookville. John how about Those, Hoosiers.
Speaker 7: Boy they're looking really good this. Year, Man We're i've been a Lifelong hoosier, fan watched them lose.
Speaker 3: My whole, life and really proud of.
Speaker 1: Them.
Speaker 7: Yeah and on the note of the seventy six, Team, YES i still gotta go with that being the little better story just due to money's involved in college ball. Now BUT i mean WHAT iu football did was. Incredible But i'm still laying on that seventy. Sixteen an ain't member OF kit in fifty.
Speaker 2: Years so, yeah, yeah that's a Strong. Absolutely Hey, John i'm glad you were. Listening thanks for taking the time to.
Speaker 7: Call appreciate, It thank, you good, Night.
Speaker 3: Thank, You Go.
Speaker 2: HOOSIERS i saw this note On twitter and this just adds to the incredible. Story this is From Ashley, adamson who worked for The Big Ten.
Speaker 3: Network you can't make this. Up last, year.
Speaker 2: When Fernando mendoza was playing At cal he was knocked out of the game on a controversial hit in a loss to The Miami. Hurricanes the player who delivered that blow in the game last year was in last night's game and was the last defender That Fernando mendoza ran through on the fourth down. Touchdown now let me repeat. That playing At cal last year Against, Miami Fernando mendoza is knocked out of the game on a controversial. Hit one year, later playing For indiana in The National championship game Against, miami he runs into that same player at the goal line in an iconic moment and breaks through for the. Touchdown as she, notes this movie will have to be a trilogy to properly convey all the absurd storylines from him growing up like what a mile from The miami campus to not being recruited By miami to His i'm trying to remember all the connections To Fernando mendoza's dad playing football With miami's Coach Mario cristobal is just like no, way and it is absolutely, way all. Right we put an hour in the books when we come back thoughts and reflections On red's. Fest you're gonna hear a couple of things That Amelio pegan told ME i found really really, interesting and then something we'll have some fun with later on in the eight o'clock hour as.
Speaker 3: Well that's a whole.
Speaker 2: Lot to get To let's do it after we check news are Now Carrier sportstock presented By Kelsey chevalet second seven HUNDRED.
Speaker 1: Wlw the following takes place between eight pm and nine.
Speaker 2: Pm let's keep rolling eight oh seven seven HUNDRED. Wlw IT'S Rnl Carrier Sports. Talk it is presented By Kelsey. Chevrolet my, guys eighteen acres of pre owned, vehicles One, Easy Kelsey piece Of, Mind, promise fair Family, pricing lifetime powertrain, protection, guarantee credit approval Shop Smarter At Kelsey. Chevrolet they drive peace of mind and they are my. Guys thanks for hanging out. Tonight our two of. Two Gary Jeff walker serves up the nightcap coming up at. Nine just notice this From Sarah Langs. Wow the lowest debut vote percentage by a player who eventually got inducted and voted into The Baseball hall Of. Fame Andrew jones back in twenty eighteen debuted on the ballot and got point three percent of the vote seven point three. Tonight he gains induction in twenty twenty six with seventy eight point four, percent which leads me into a pet peeve Which i'll choose not to engage in at this point because it will only further frustrate. Me how Did Andrew jones get seven point three percent of the vote in twenty eighteen and without having play played a game, since gets seventy eight point four this. Season the process needs to be. Revamped AND i say it every year and it never. Happens so it is what it. Is we're At Red's. FAST i was there On friday night my one of my, favorite maybe my favorite show of the, year three hours Of. SportsTalk there we had a. Blast nicolodolo joined, Me Emilio, Pagan Terry, Francona matt, McClain Sam, Mall Zach, Maxwell Brandon, Williamson Will, benson Tj antne all made their way up on the stage and we're hanging. Out fantastic three hour. Show the weekend drew twenty one thousand and seven forty. Three that is up over fifty five hundred from the last Reds fest prior to the renovation in twenty twenty, three up over fifty five. Hundred the convention center looked great to. Me you could feel there was a lot more, room if that makes, Sense and specifically when you walk in and go left that giant elevator in that concourse area that was, gone and it was really. Cool casey had a. Blast he was there with his. Friends he sent me a, Text i'm in line For Alfredo duno's, autograph and he bought an, album A Bronson arroyo record album That bronson, signed and got a cool sweatshirt and some other.
Speaker 3: Stuff so had a great.
Speaker 2: Time if IF i, could if there were if there were two THINGS i had the power to change about Reds, FEST i would make it brighter inside Of Reds, fest like in the interior of. It for whatever, reason it always seems dark to. ME i would lighten things, that like put a spotlight on everything that's inside. There it's so, big and it always seems to be like there's a light turned, Off LIKE i want to look for a light switch and like flip a. Switch AND i would dramatically change the ratio of autograph. LINES i would dramatically reduce autograph opportunities for adults and dramatically increase the opportunities for. KIDS i, MEAN i might have like two lines for adults and every other line would be for kids IF i were in, charge But i'm.
Speaker 3: Not BUT i had a great time On friday.
Speaker 2: NIGHT i want you to take a listen to SOMETHING a couple of things That Emilio pagan told, me WHICH i found really, cool about one of the Newest reds about what it means To emilio to be back and what that new addition means to their, bullpen WHICH I i don't think there's enough attention paid to stuff like. This let's pick it up WITH i Ask, amelia who Remember Emelio pagan was a free. Agent we did a topic what of our early questions in the offseason was would you re Sign Emilio pegan who had a fantastic season but was a free agent and the thought was he might command upwards OF i don't, know twelve, thirteen fourteen million dollars multi year.
Speaker 3: Deal would you do something like?
Speaker 2: That they wind up getting him for it's a one year with an. Option it's one year at ten, million and then an option for a second year with a bio. Attached BUT i Asked emelio On friday, night up on the stage At redsfest During Sports, talk how it feels to be back with The cincinnati redstigalisten an incredible.
Speaker 6: FEELING i don't, know IF i have the words to really explain you know how it. Feels it's, surreal. Humbling you, KNOW i KNEW i definitely wanted to be back In, cincinnati and you, know as great as the money, is and yet you, know we get paid a lot of money to play this, game BUT i wasn't going to go somewhere just because somebody was handing me the biggest. CONTRACT i wanted to go somewhere WHERE i felt like we had a chance to a, win win some special ball, games but somewhere WHERE i was, comfortable WHERE i had great relationship with my teammates and the coaching, staff and REALLY i wanted to help build, something you, know AND i really do truly believe we're building something special here And i'm very grateful to be a part of.
Speaker 2: It you were in seventy games last. Year what did it mean to be, available ready and able that many?
Speaker 6: Times, yeah that's you know WHEN i WHEN i first signed here In december of twenty, three that's that's something THAT i pride myself on my entire, career and so WHEN i wasn't able to do that in twenty, four that that left a very sour.
Speaker 3: Taste in my. MOUTH i felt.
Speaker 6: BAD i felt LIKE i let the organization, DOWN i let my teammates, DOWN i let all these fans. Down and, so you, know sometimes injuries are out of our. CONTROL i had the hernia surgery going into the, season AND i wasn't able to prepare myself the WAY i normally do in the. Offseason and so as soon as we ended In chicago the twenty four, season you, know work started right away to get myself back to WHO i BELIEVE i can be as a, pitcher WHO i can be as a, teammate and WHAT i can provide for a major league, club and so try to put my best foot. Forward that doesn't always mean that results are going to go the WAY i want them, to BUT i definitely wanted to be out there as much AS i, can and HOPEFULLY i can do.
Speaker 3: The same thing this year and be out there a bunch of. Times take me, back it Was.
Speaker 2: September you guys are in a, playoff chase high leverage moments every night in your saving, games the adrenalines.
Speaker 3: Flow what is that? LIKE i see the spile in your. BASE i, mean that's what it's all. About, yeah it's the.
Speaker 6: Best it's the best feeling in the world going out there with the ball in your, hand game on the. Line you, know obviously it takes a team to get to that, spot you, know, like you, know our offense has to score, runs our starting pitchers have to get deep into, games our bullpen has to get the met to the ninth inning with a chance to win the. Game so when you go out, there, man there's there's a lot of weight that comes with that. Moment, Uh and SO i don't take it. Lightly we've got a super talented, group And i'm just grateful for every OPPORTUNITY i. Get and you, know HOPEFULLY i can do uh close to WHAT i did last, year if not, better and then we can win a division this.
Speaker 2: Year you've got three new arms in that. Bullpend Pierce johnson is your, friend, Correct.
Speaker 6: Yeah one of my best.
Speaker 2: Friends tell, us, yeah tell us the story of Your your best friend is now on the. Team and you you were doing like some, recruiting, like, dude you got to come, here take us through. This.
Speaker 6: Yeah so he, uh he had a club option With atlanta coming into this, season AND i thought it was a no brainer that they was gonna get picked.
Speaker 3: Up and so when it wasn't.
Speaker 6: Obviously you, KNOW i called him. Immediate well actually he he called me probably five minutes after it was declined and, said, hey let's go play somewhere. Together AND i, said, allright Well i'm going To. Cincinnati they don't know that, yet But i'm that's Where i'm. Going and uh SO i. WAS i was in his e all off season AND i, had you, know my, Wife jordan was talking to his Wife christina and talking about, like, hey we could do.
Speaker 3: This you guys can live, here we can live.
Speaker 6: There our kids get along, great and so you, know aside from, that he's a super talented pitcher that has a pitch that we don't, have you, know we don't we don't have a curveball in our bullpen that he. Has and so it adds a different, wrinkle a different look from our team That tito can go to h so that the you, know the opposing hitters aren't seeing the same pitch twice in a game where in a, series, yeah which just you, know gives us a better opportunity to come away with series. Wins and so, yeah, Him Caleb ferguson Brought. BURKE i, mean our bullpen has a chance to be, really really, good and so you know it's our job to got there now and execute at a high.
Speaker 2: Level you, know it's funny you mentioned the curve Because i'm a big baseball savant, dork AND i noticed he throws it about eighty two percent of the.
Speaker 3: Time that's a nasty curve.
Speaker 6: Ball, yeah it's you, know it's arguably one of the best curveballs in the. World and so to have that that weapon added to our, group you, know it's unique to him and we don't have. That and so you, Know tony's got the really good. Sleeper you, know mine mixes my fastball and Splitter Sam males at the left hand and break them all going the other.
Speaker 4: Way you.
Speaker 6: Know Caleb ferguson has kind of got it all with the upshoot. Heater he's got a really sneaky arm. Path Connor phillips what he was able to, Do luis May Zach. Maxwell it's a deep. Group it's a very talented, group And i'm really happy to be a part of.
Speaker 2: It Amelia pagan part of our conversation On friday. Night if you missed the, show the podcast is certainly available with all nine. Interviews catch up with those, interviews sports talk episodes in general and individual interviews at seven HUNDRED wlw dot com and through The iHeart radio app podcast presented By Modern Office, methods you were Trusted Rico. Dealer they help businesses bring printing in house with high, speed high volume production Equipment Modern Office. Methods when every minute, counts you can count On. MOM i thought he brought up a great point About Pierce johnson and the curveball and the addition to the bullpen and a different look than the rest of the, bullpen and when you add it all, together as he did at the, end that pen Of Pagan, Santion, Ferguson Pierce, johnson Brock, Burke, Graham, Ashcraft Connor, phillips and then one more spot to, fill you would, think Maybe Sam, mall do they go a third left, Hander Zach, Maxwell luis may Maybe Brandon, williamson Although brandon probably Is he said he'd never started or he's never, Relieved he's only, started but he's coming Off tommy john. Surgery sort of interesting how they ultimately use, him but probably as a starter at some. Point, Now i'll tell you What Zach maxwell and IF i have time later in the, Week i'm going to. Play Something zach said to me On friday, night that dude made his major league debut last, year AND i want to say he's twenty four or twenty. Five the confidence in that, guy big, dude what's his, nickname The Big, sweat but Big, Sugar i'm thinking of a Former reds. Reliever just his his confidence is really. Impressive and it's not a it's not a, cockiness but it's just a really impressive awareness OF i don't know how to describe. It who he is and what he is and what he. Learned AND i love the fact that he pointed out in his eight appearances last year when The reds called him, up he got to face The dodgers, once in The Blue jays, twice the two teams that played in The World, series and what he learned from those, experiences.
Speaker 3: And JUST i don't, know the way he carries himself very very.
Speaker 2: Impressive when he sat down and he sat down next to, me me at you, know five, eight one hundred and fifty five, POUNDS i will, big you are big when we come. Back it happened on this date and it got me thinking about something we've done in the. Past because the visual of it just it just never felt. Right Details NEXT Rnl Carrier sportstock presented By Kelsey. Chevallet seven HUNDRED wlw seven four seven HUNDRED WLW Rnl carrier Sports stock presented By Kelsey. Chevallet Dennis ray is maybe the only Time i've ever flashed backed and pulled out of the recesses of my. Mind Dennis ray is The Big, sweat The reds reliever who appeared in what would have been probably like ninety eight through two thousand and one for The Cincinnati. Reds there's the big, sweat and there's a big, sugar and, uh there you. Go this happened on this date In cincinnati sports history or in sports history was nineteen eighty, four The Montreal expos signed forty two year old free Agent Pete. Road pete would play ninety five games for The. Expos collected is a four thousand. Hit he did it at home At Jerry, PARK i want to say Against Jerry, kusman who was pitching at the time for The.
Speaker 3: Phillies the THING i always remember No Olympic.
Speaker 2: Stadium i'm, sorry Not Jerry Park Olympic, stadium because the THING i always remember About Olympic stadium in day, games the way the sun would shine down the right field line and area WHERE i think Of Andre, dawson Not andrea at the, time but that ball dropped down that line for a double IF i, remember for his four thousand. Hit but back to my original point, Here Pete rose in An expos uniform was always like a like a trigger for me of something that just didn't look. Right and it leads me to a topic we've done certainly in the. Past AND i think of every TIME i think Of pete in An expos uniform looking at his baseball, card AND i said that it doesn't look, right and it's uniform cameos in the idea of an athlete who wound up on a, team and it just you think, back and it just never looked.
Speaker 3: Right it just never made, sense.
Speaker 2: Like oh, Man and it happens more and more now there's so much movement in the game and free agency and guys skipped from one team to the next. Day, Hey, Kevin i'm watching AN nba right. Now And Kevin durant played for What seattle In Oklahoma, city Then Golden state and Then brooklyn and The phoenix and Then houston guys like.
Speaker 3: That so guys are moving all.
Speaker 2: Around but WHEN i think Of Pete, ROSEEN i think of The montreal EXPOS i think if.
Speaker 3: Something just didn't look.
Speaker 2: Right it made me think Of cincinnati athletes that wound up in another uniform that it just it took a while to get used, to never quite looked. Right maybe you forgot about it even playing for that, team or an athlete that made a cameo appearance With cincinnati teams that were so short you forgot.
Speaker 3: ABOUT i, MEAN i think of.
Speaker 2: He never appeared in a major league, Game but WHEN i Watched Joey vado in spring trading wearing A Toronto Blue jays, UNIFORM i thought Of pete rose in an exposed, uniform not because of The canadian, crossover but because he just didn't look. Right Joey vado should have only worn A red's. Uniform AND i know Also pete wore A phillies, uniform but That expo's. Uniform there's just something about looking At pete in an exposed uniform THAT i think uniform cameos is something Like Joe morgan played for The Oakland a's for a time that never looked. Right Rudy johnson played for The Detroit. LIONS i think Of rudy In bengals AND, i, oh that's. Right he did play for The lions for a. Time Chad johnson played for The patriots for a. Time and it's not Just cincinnati. ATHLETES i think you Know Michael jordan classic. One Michael jordan in A wizard's. Uniform no, Way.
Speaker 3: Actually he.
Speaker 2: WAS i don't want to say he was. Great i'm not sure he was. Good he was at least you know what he did with the. Way he averaged twenty one, points five, rebounds and four assists over two seasons with The wizards at the age of thirty. Eight michael. Kids Michael jordan played for The Washington wizards for two. Seasons While i'm on THE nba, Theme Patrick ewing played for The Seattle. SuperSonics he was a bench player In. ORLANDO i, mean you Think Patrick, ewing you Think. Nicks Willie mays wound up his career with The. Mets Jerry rice in A Seattle seahawks uniform at the age OF i think forty, two had thirty catches with The Seattle. Seahawks is that? RIGHT i wrote that down and that that doesn't sound. Right here we, Go, yes at the age of forty, two he had twenty five. Catches he had thirty catches with The raiders that season and twenty five With seattle for a total of sixty three catches that. Season NOW i take that, back he had five with The raiders that. Season But Jerry rice as A. Seahawk it's Like Emmett smith is An Arizona cardinal And emmett that you rushed.
Speaker 3: For i'm gonna look him. Up how many seasons DID. Emmittt smith spend with The Arizona, cardinals a guy who should have spent his entire career here it is two seasons rush for a. Total, well that second, season his final season in THE, nfl at age thirty, Five Emmitt smith rushed for nine hundred and almost rushed for one thousand yards with The Arizona. Cardinals do you have A si uniform, cameo somebody who never looked quite right in another uniform or another athlete that for maybe a couple of. Calls then on this, date to wrap things, up we head down the.
Speaker 2: Stretch after we get a check on, news check the scoreboard in hoops as, well IT'S Rnl Carrier Sports talk presented By Kelsey.
Speaker 3: Chevrolet seven HUNDRED wlw.
Speaker 2: Eight thirty five seven HUNDRED Wlwrnl Carrier Sports talk presented By Kelsey. Chevrolet I'm lance. Forcallister shout out To, Ashland. Kentucky they're listening In, Ashland kentucky tonight on The iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: APP i was born In, Ashland.
Speaker 2: Kentucky Me Brandon, Webb Amanda, brenneman and close By billy Ray.
Speaker 3: Cyrus there you, Go.
Speaker 2: Ashland, hello with The iHeart radio app downloaded on your, phone your, table at Your, kendall your home. Came you can listen to sports talk anywhere around the country and around the. World if you don't believe, me they're listening In, Appleton. Wisconsin Said. Hello and if you're ever listening in On, twitter tweet me where you are listening.
Speaker 3: From so thank.
Speaker 2: You In Salt Lake, City, hello thanks for looking in or listening in tonight on The iHeartRadio. App oh, Update Jordan shipley mentioned this last. Week the Former bengals wide. Receiver remember he was A texas. Longhorn he was involved in a really just a gruesome accident on his farm In texas about two weeks. Ago i'm trying to remember the timeline. Here he was A bengals ride receiver third round pick in twenty, ten spent two seasons with him so rookie, season had fifty two, catches but suffered burns over large portion a large portion of his. Body he was rushed to the. Hospital he was CareFlight to To. AUSTIN i have been following the updates from his wife and from HIS i believe it's his sister IF i remember. Correctly the latest update Was, saturday and you will not believe. This we ARE i think we're right at the two week, mark she wrote On. Facebook this has been life changing in many. Ways he's left the. HOSPITAL i still can't believe. It she goes on to. Write numerous, doctors, nurses and specials keep telling us that he is nothing short of a, miracle and they've never seen someone come into their care in his condition and leave this, soon much less be out of the hospital. Bed he's still in a lot of. Pain we have a hard and long journey, ahead but you can guarantee he AND i will carry it with joy and. Praise we aren't quite home. Yet he will stay close to the hospital as he has dressing changes and will be monitored during this adjustment out of the. Hospital The Dell seat And burn, team nurses and everyone we came in contact. With these are special people that have impacted us. Greatly please say a prayer for them and Thank god for them as they are dealing with heartbreaking cases all, day every. Day we love all of you, deeply she wrote On. Facebook thank you from the bottom of our. Hearts so from burns over a large portion of his, body rushed to the, hospital then care flight To austin to ride around two weeks out of the, hospital not out of a complete danger and still facing a, lot but man Oh man from the initial reports and the photos they released of him and the and the, bandages and at one point they had released a photo of his arm raised and bandages and and and blood and various spots on the, arm and he was he had raised his hands into the signal of The hookham. Horns it was really Really the early on reports were difficult to read and hard to imagine what he had gone, through and to this, update absolutely. INCREDIBLE a couple of more uniform cameos to round it out before we do it on this date AND i Think i've got time for my rant on The hall Of fame. Process Joe mixon as A. Texan Tyler boyd is A Tennessee. Titan adam done as. Well Pickett adam done as a white, Sock adam done as a, Diamondback adam done as a, National adam done as An oakland.
Speaker 3: A i could go old.
Speaker 2: School Frank robinson as An, Oriole Matt hervey as A. Red Drew westerhidy Producer tonight brought that one, up AND i, Said i'll see Your Matt hervey as A red and raise you a Don Trelle willis as A Cincinnati. Red Wade boggs is A Tampa Bay Devil, ray And i'll never forget because when he signed with The Devil, rays part of the agreement was when he reached three thousand hits or when he went into The hall Of, fame he would go in as A Tampa Bay Devil, ray as the terms of his. Contract Frank thomas as A Blue, Jay John smoltz as both a red sock And akerdinel never looked quite? Right DID i have anything? Else Brett farrv as A. Jet Brett farrv is A. Viking Wayne gretzky as a member of The Saint Louis. Blues drew Mentioned Allan, Iverson, MAN i, COULD i could go allan ivers anything out Of philly never looked. Right Allan, iverson, Nugget Allan, Iverson, Piston Alan iverson.
Speaker 3: GRIZZLY i think that'll do it on my? List DID i have any anything? Else Roger clemens as an astro, CAN i guess all, right my rant on The Baseball hall Of fame before we do on this. DATE i JUST.
Speaker 2: I find myself as the years go, on caring less or or believing much in The Baseball hall of less and less in terms of believability credibility of The Baseball hall Of.
Speaker 3: Fame i've been.
Speaker 2: There we were there For King Griffey Junior induction Week it's a wonderful town out the middle of. NOWHERE i would, recommend and if we ever go, back it will be outside of an induction, weekend because induction weekend is. Nuts we were there For junior along With Mike. Piazza we'll never forget that. Weekend it was me and my dad And casey and we did a cross country drive and it was. Unbelievable but the whole process to, me has become so just frustrating as the years gone. On from and it's not even as much A peat thing or A bonds or A clemens. Thing it starts with the voting, process and to, me the process itself needs a complete and total.
Speaker 3: Overhaul AND i say it this.
Speaker 2: Way if The hall Of fame was introduced today and they revealed a voting process that they currently, use and you were told that the only people voting for The Baseball hall Of fame were, writers what would you think about that? PROCESS i think if you're like, me you'd, say why would you only include? Writers and this started back in nineteen thirty six when newspapers were king not to step on any newspapers collective. Toes but newspapers aren't nearly the thing today that they once. Were THERE'S, tv there's, radio there's, newspapers there's a lot of outlets covering. Baseball so nobody would believe today if the process was unveiled that it should only be writers that vote for The Baseball hall Of. Fame and the way it, is you have to be a member of The Baseball Writers' association Of, america you have to have been an active baseball writer for at least ten, years and that it's been that way since nineteen thirty. Six, Well i'd argue it might be time to update the. Process and this is The hall Of fame who dictates. This And i'm not breaking news here that media coverage has dramatically changed since nineteen thirty. Six think about some of the individuals, that by this voting process don't have a vote in the.
Speaker 3: Process Marty.
Speaker 2: Brenneman does anybody believe That Marty, brenneman having been the voice of The reds going back to nineteen seventy four threw up until what five years, ago should not have a vote and a member of The Baseball hall Of fame should not have a vote for The hall Of. Fame does anybody Believe Bob costas doesn't deserve a vote for The hall Of? Fame Or George Grand over the, Years George grand hasn't had a vote for The hall Of? Fame Michael, Kay Yankees', Voice Pat, Hughes, Cubbs John, Sterling Dan, Schulman Dave, Simms John, Rooney Steve, Stone I'm, Hamilton John.
Speaker 3: Miller, seriously they don't have votes for The hall Of.
Speaker 2: FAME a historian Like Bill james doesn't have a vote for The hall Of.
Speaker 3: Fame Ken.
Speaker 2: Burns Ken burns Created, baseball The emmy winning documentary that details in greater, detail more so than anything that has ever detailed the game of the history of the. Game and Ken burns does not have a vote for The hall Of. Fame Doris, Kerns, Goodwin Steve, Hurt George Will John, thorne they are the essence of baseball, historians and they.
Speaker 3: Don't have a.
Speaker 2: VOTE i Just i've never understoodunderstood what would what would be wrong with adding some diversity to The hall Of fame voting. GROUP i, mean what would be wrong With And i'm not saying take it away from the. Writers if you've been a ten year member of The Baseball Writers association Of america and been an active baseball writer for at least ten, years more power to. You let's give you, know forty five percent of the voting process goes to that. Group forty five percent comes from the broadcasters and executives and, historians and give Living hall of famers ten percent weight on the.
Speaker 3: VOTE I i'm just throwing that out there for.
Speaker 2: STARTERS i just know, this anything would be better that adhering to the way the rule was initially he set up in nineteen thirty. Six, then don't even get me started about the size of the ballot and who gets voted on and the philosophy Of, No i'm gonna make him wait for a, Year i'm gonna make him wait for two.
Speaker 3: Years i'll make him wait for. THREE i said it.
Speaker 2: Earlier Andrew, jones when he first appeared to the ballot in twenty, eighteen got just over seven percent of the. Vote seven percent of those baseball writers Thought Andrew jones was A hall Of. Famer now in twenty, twenty seventy eight percent of the writers believe he's A hall Of. Famer you know What Andrew jones has not done between twenty eighteen and tonight's reveal in twenty twenty. Six he's not played a single baseball.
Speaker 3: Game it just.
Speaker 2: That and don't even get me started on the whole idea Of if The Baseball hall Of fame is a record of a gallery of the greatest to ever play the game in an institution that tells the history of the, Game i'm sorry this will not sit well with, some probably. Many there is no way you can tell the history of the game and not include the greats that include the man who won the MOST Mvp, Awards Barry, bonds the most Cy Young, Awards Roger, clemens and who has the most hits In Pete. Rose AND i will till the DAY i die believe that you should be able to have those players in The hall Of fame and on their include their. Transgressions and if that means dad or grandfather with son or grandson in The hall Of, fame taking the, tour looking at that plaque and having Little johnny, Say, dad tell me About Barry bonds and Saying Barry bonds was one of the most dominant players in the history of the, game who also was accused of steroid use during an embarrassing era of the. Game then so be. IT i think we will survive because you know, what the records that are held By Barry bonds And Roger clemens And Pete, rose they are all recognized By Major League. Baseball those records haven't been scrapped from the record, books washed from the record.
Speaker 3: Books they are recognized.
Speaker 2: Today and to do that and not include them in The Baseball hall Of fame tells me there's a whole bunch of people at The hall Of fame who need to get over, themselves because in the, end it's just The Baseball hall Of, fame and that tells the tale of the greatest to ever play and at the same time the history of the. Game and there's a lot of embarrassing. Things there's a lot of different eras that baseball has gone through over the. Years there was a period where blacks were not allowed to. Play there was a period of, steroids there was a period of, expansion there was a period of the dead ball, era on and on and, on and it JUST i don't know WHY i get it so worked up about this every. Year take our final time, out head down the stretch to it on this, date AND i will regroup and prepare For Gary Jeff walker of The nightcap at nine. O'clock it's all AHEAD Rna Carrier Sports talk presented By Kelsey chevrolet seven HUNDRED.
Speaker 3: Wlw so we.
Speaker 2: Go I'm Lance, pacamlister your, Host drew. Westerr heidi has been your producer, tonight my, producer our. Producer we thank you for being our. Listeners Gary Jeff walker is going to serve up the nightcap coming up at nine nine to. Midnight i'm back at you tomorrow three full, hour six to nine. O'clock you'll hear What Terry francona told me At Red's fest tomorrow.
Speaker 3: NIGHT i think.
Speaker 2: It it might raise an eyebrow or, two might get into the might get into the baseball labor situation in some, way shape or.
Speaker 3: FORM i don't. Know it's so complicated but also.
Speaker 2: Frustrating And Scott springer's gonna check in From tucson tomorrow at advance of uc Versus arizona number one Ranked Arizona tomorrow, Night dan And terry with pregame at eight. Thirty scott's gonna check in about eight. O'clock by the, way On thursday, night six, twenty his jersey will be retired this weekend by These Zaber musketeers To. Holloway we'll check in at six twenty On thursday. Night we have a developing situation in THE mac with six minutes to, go twenty fifth ranked and Unbeaten miami Trailing Kent. State The Golden flashes seventy eight seventy, four six minutes to Play miami into the. Rankings for the first time this, week trying to get to twenty and, oh that's a really Good Kent state. Team they're fourteen and four, overall they're five and one on THE, mac and they've got a four point lead with about six minutes to. Go i'll keep an eye on That Indiana hoosiers trail by sixteen in Ann arbor. Tonight that'll be what is that going to be three straight losses FOR? Iu, no that would be? Four good, golly that would be a fourth straight loss for The Indiana hoosiers In big twelve.
Speaker 3: Play and is there one?
Speaker 2: More ohio leading with three and a half to go Over Northern illinois seventy three sixty. Four i'm keeping an eye on That miami seventy nine seventy, Seven Kent state Leading miami with five and a half to. Go final vote on The hall Of fame. Tonight if you you can stand the ballot for ten years as long as you get at least five percent of the. Vote if you fall below the five percent, threshold you're removed from the. Ballot now think about, that, because AS i said, earlier back in twenty, Eighteen Andrew jones got seven point three percent stuck around and got the minimum tonight he. Needed you got to get seventy five. Percent he got seventy eight. Four he's. In Carlos beltron got eighty four point two. Percent he's. In and then the drop off next highest vote total chase up like got fifty nine point one. Percent he's trending in the right. Direction Andy pettitt got forty eight point five. Percent King, FELIX i Think Felix, hernandez the Former, mariner IF i remember, CORRECTLY i think his percentage. JUMPED i think it's twenty six. PERCENT i think he went from twenty percent to forty six. PERCENT A rod at forty percent of the, Vote Manny ramirez at thirty eight point, Eight BOBBY A bray who at thirty point. Eight look Up Bobby abra who's numbers and tell, ME.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: That you'd tell me right away he's A hall Of. Famer BUT i think you'd, say, OH i didn't know his career was that. Good when it was all said and. DONE A brello hit two hundred and eighty eight, homers stole four hundred, bases had almost twenty five hundred, hits had five hundred and seventy four. Doubles lifetime batting average at two ninety one in HIS ops plus of one twenty eight means he was twenty eight percent better than the league when he was, playing had won, two, three, four, five, six, seven eight seasons of one hundred RBIs or, more and he had eight seasons of scoring one hundred runs or.
Speaker 3: More take a look At Bobby.
Speaker 2: Abreo among those who did not make the, cut will fall off the ballot getting less than five. Percent Edwin erke And karasiom got six votes one point four. Percent shin Su chow another one time red got three votes less than one. Percent Matt kemp a short time Read i'd like to forget two, Votes Hunter pence two, Votes Rick porcello To Alex gored, One nick Mar cakis, One Geo gonzalez did not get a. Vote Howie kendrick did not get a. Vote Daniel murphy did not get a. Vote that from The Baseball hall Of fame announcement, Tonight Ryan, braun subject of, peds got fifteen votes three and a half, percent so he falls off the ballot as. Well Omar Vis skel consider one of the greatest glove shortstops of all, time but had domestic violence issues off the field that many are holding against. Him got eighteen point four percent of the. Vote all, Right, finally on this Day Sports history eighteen ninety, one The INTERNATIONAL ymca And, springfield mass is the side of the first official basketball. Game peach baskets were. Used it wasn't until a couple of years later that somebody removed the baskets. Bottoms how DID i don't understand how the game was invented and somebody, said let's use peach, baskets and nobody, said but we should cut out the bottom of the peach baskets so the ball actually goes so we don't have to go up and just it's never made any sense to. Me nineteen fifty, Two George miken scores sixty, one a career, high to lead The Minneapolis lakers to a double overtime win over The Rochester.
Speaker 3: Royals nineteen sixty.
Speaker 2: Six on this, Date Ted, williams longtime star of The Red, sox elected to The Baseball hall Of. Fame twenty. Writers twenty writers looked at their ballot and, Said, Ah i'm not going to vote For Ted. Williams nineteen sixty. Nine here's Something i'd like to go back and watch in a time. Machine Elvin hayes scores thirty nine to Lead houston to a win OVER, ucla ending the bruins forty seven game winning. Streak the game was played at The astrodome in front of a record fifty two, thousand nine hundred and sixty three nineteen Seventy Cincinnati's tom Van arsdale And Phoenix's dick Van arsdale are the first brothers to play in the SAME Nba All Star. Game in high, school they Shared Indiana Mister basketball honors and helped Lead Indianapolis manual to the state. Finals they both played AT iu and then both played in THE. Nba nineteen Eighty President carter announces THE Us olympic team will not participate in The Summer olympics In moscow to protest The soviet invasion Of afghanistan the previous, month and has. Mentioned nineteen eighty, four The Montreal lexpos signed forty two year Old Peter Edward rose as a free. Agent, Alright i'm out of. Here i've run out of. TIME i need more. TIME i could have used that third hour. Tonight i've got all three tomorrow. Night so why don't you join, me then stick around the. News let me give me an update three twenty seven, Ago Kent state eighty, Six miami eighty, Two reds trying to stay. Unbeaten Harry suf a great. Night i'll catch you tomorrow night at. Six this has Been Rnel Carrier Sports doc presented By Kelsey chevrolet seven HUNDRED wlw