Speaker 1: Scott's flung here seven hundred. But you know most people, you wonder about the insides of seven hundred double to people work here. I'm learning something new about my predecessor here, the morning man, Tom Brennanman, Tom and h Tom Brenneman. He really likes to stay hydrated. He has two giant Yetti mugs in here. Each one of these mugs, by the way, forty eight ounces. He has two of them ninety six ounces of fluid, and they're both empty. In a what he's in He's in here for four hours, five hours. That's a lot of liquid. Tom has a stupendous bladder. I'm going with that. Hopefully it's not all coffee, because that's a lot of coffee. Man, Almost one hundred ounces of Coffee's a lot of coffee. And in that short of sitting. Nonetheless, I ain't judging. I ain't judging. We got some news here in the city of Cincinnati and the battle of our security cameras. As you know, they allotted in the fall one hundred fifty thousand dollars for security cameras are supposed to go up, and of course did we have security cameras know around the park where the eleven year old girl was killed on New Year's Day, a Laurel playground, and of course two years prior, same thing where told cameras will go up and they did not. And city Council is doing a deep dive on this. And joining the show this morning would be council member Mark Jeffries. Welcome, Mark, how are you.
Speaker 2: I'm doing well, Thanks Scott.
Speaker 1: Do you think one hundred ounces of liquid in a five hour period is excessive?
Speaker 2: I have that. Let me tell you. I wake up at before the morning, I have a bunch of coffee. My dad is Dutch. I think they're the most. They drink the most coffee of any people. So I'm a four to five cups coffee person today, so I have no problem with that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but one hundred ounce that's not four or five cups, it's forty or fifty cups a lot.
Speaker 2: That's a lot.
Speaker 1: Damn. Let's say he's like his own. This bladder's like its own separate dunkin Donuts. For crying out loud, let's get into the security camera issue. You guys have met about this. I know folks in the West End communitators are a little skeptical about whether increased surveillance selects of reduced crime in the neighborhood. But at least you know, I have eyes in the skies, you can apprehend people, maybe making people think twice about this. As you investigated and exhausted this, I think a lot of people are frustrated, going, well, we gave you one hundred and fifty thousand dollars. You had millions and millions that we're going to spend on public safety, and we're supposed to have cameras in and nothing happened. How can you put in a context what occurred here, not just on New Year's Day, but two years previously when another young person was murdered.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a couple things on this, Scott. So First, the folks in the West End actually want cameras, and there's Pastor Lesley Jones and African American leader. She has been leading an effort to put cameras in more areas. So people there, I don't care where you live in the safety you want in the city. You want safety, period. So we did allocate the money. What we have a commitment now from Chief Henny about two weeks ago was at least six of the twelve camera's been put up already in the West End. He put a temporary one up immediately right after the shooting.
Speaker 3: So he has those.
Speaker 2: He has a commitment to fix ninety nine total or implement ninety nine total within a month. And so I think we're about two weeks out from that and he's putting the pedal to the metal. Really appreciate his leadership to make it possible. This is like you said, it's eyes on the ground. It doesn't prevent it may not prevent the crime. It may somebody's like, oh crap, I might get caught. They may me twice. Yeah, so they don't know where it's at. And not just the West End. We need these in Price Hill. We've had incidents in Price Hill. We need them around the city. Eyes on the ground.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know, is I put in the context here? To me, it's not about I don't think it's going to stop someone who's hell bet on mayhem, because yeah, let's face it, these murderers, these thugs are out there. They ain't thinking twice about anybody else but themselves. And to think that they'll go, well there's a camera there, they may second get shooting someone Sames. This is probably not gonna happen. But what it does is it gives us a better opportunity to get those people off the streets and behind bars.
Speaker 3: Now one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: I mean I think people who might be stealing something might think twice yeah, yeah, yeah, that kind of cybody who's shooting somebody.
Speaker 3: It really doesn't give gives.
Speaker 1: Not at all. I mean, we got people driving like not. We had Bengals players driving like knuckleheads, two hundred miles an hour up and down the street. There's cameras all over there. They don't care about it. So I don't know if that'll do it. But again, justice for these two babies, because you know, good luck finding the person who actually fired the shots there without the help of cameras as well. So all right, does that give constituents and Mark Jefferies a little bit more peace of mind because you're going, well, wait a minute. You know two years ago he said put cameras, and we got money for that. We just you know, you have like five million dollars for more more security and Cincinnati bigger police budget. We just had another one hundred and fifty thousand dollars for cameras. And people to go, well, where's the damn cameras? How can you assuage people's fears but also give them confidence that we're actually going to move ahead and do what council said they're going to do.
Speaker 2: I think we kudos to Interim Chief Henny who said I will get this done in four weeks. And I think when the four weeks are up, we say, okay, have we done it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And it's little steps like that where we build trusts that you have to do what you say you're going to do. And so about two weeks from now, we're going to be at that clock and we need to look at it and say, Okay, we implemented what we agreed that we would.
Speaker 1: I'll circle back because you know, I was speaking the money and Greg Lansman just got what over a million dollars to expand the surveillance system. So there's even more cash flowing in now.
Speaker 3: Yep, no much needed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and that's a good thing. I know, more cameras up is going to help law enforce and do their jobs. It's not going to stop a knucklehead or some a sociopath, hell bet on murdering someone. And you know, spring bullets are not carrying that. One finds an eleven year old girl who's doing nothing but enjoying the first day of the new year in a park, regardless of what time of day it is. That's just it's intolerable. It's what that is. There's something else going on. I think this is interesting because the key to maybe stopping some of this crime anyway is getting them young and getting interested in other things, something to do a distraction. We've known for a while that youth football teams in Cincinnati there's been issues obviously playing at CPS fields with crime and speaking of violence and the like. But it's also extremely cost prohibitive because the team has to foot the build out and for the runt of the field, but also security. In a lot of youth football teams don't have the budget, don't have the means to be able to do that stuff, and that is certainly an urban problem that you don't have in suburban rural areas. That said, though, I like the idea that the city is thinking about opening a few fields.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a couple of things. I mean, look, youth football, it's, as you know, it's about teaching discipline, teamwork, resilience, it's about giving kids structure, purpose, a place to belong and the lessons the kid learns in there. It's about accountability, leadership, and that outlasts any of the games, right, and so we know that those are life lessons and especially kids. You want to keep them out of trouble from a disadvantaged background or a family. We want to put them to a productive activity. We have dedicated baseball fields, in part thanks a lot to the Reds. We have dedicated soccer fields, thanks for the large part to f C Cincinnati. We don't have any dedicated youth football fields, so we asked the city to hey, look with since I wreck commission at different fields where it might be possible. We also have the police academy down in Lower Price. About safety, if you have a game literally right outside of a police academy, that's.
Speaker 3: As safe as it gets.
Speaker 2: So we need to identify these fields to give kids an opportunity. I mean, every kid deserves access to safe, positive programs in youth football, you know, no matter where they live.
Speaker 1: I know that Spinny Field is under consideration, as is the Old Mercy site in Westwood. Do you have any other sites picked out that may be open. To this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's one the Hamilton County Fairgrounds, and we were looking at that. You could probably host two games at a time. They're the other piece of it is we want a area that's secure. In other words, it's got a perimen around it, you know, so folks have to go through security and you know, and that also allows Look, these are all volunteers. All the people who do this, they volunteer their time to coach these kids. They take money out of their own pocket, pay for equipment, and you know, they try to recoup some of that cost through admission facts and parents come and that's more difficult if you have an open field. And so those are some of the criteria.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, that makes sense, and you get you know a few of them anyway, And we know that there's a direct line between reducing crime powered all those things. If you can keep kids engaged in school, in doing well, or in extracura of sports, they tend to not behave as badly because they're involved in those things. We know that to be a fact now. And expanding those programs you mentioned the Reds, you mentioned FC Cincinnati A the Bengals open. Have you approached them yet?
Speaker 2: I have been talking to the Bengals Scott for about a year and a half. I have asked them repeatedly to invest in If you think about the Red it's over a million a year. I see Cincinnati's over a million a year. The Bengals did donate thirty thousand dollars in equipment. I've been pushing them, like, do split the pot for having's sakes? I know in Saint Louis they do split the pot that you know, I mean you don't have to fund anything, you literally it's all funded, half of which by the fans, and that could really help a lot of the youth sports. And so I've been pushing them. I think, you know, it should be something that they invest in. It's investing in their fan base, investing in the community, investing in these kids who a lot of whom might become future football players. So I've been encouraging that and hopefully continue to push to make that possible.
Speaker 1: Have they been receptive to hearing that or is it lip serve? I mean a year and a half a long time.
Speaker 2: I have had several meetings with them, with folks in the youth football, and they keep saying that they're looking at it. I'm hopeful that you know, I mean to the to my point, you even don't have to donate money on your own pocket. Put the pot. You know, you have all the games. You could probably at least get two hundred and fifty thousand plus dollars from that and then invested right back in your sports. So I'm continuing to push. I think it should be their obligation, as you know here in the city, to invest in youth football.
Speaker 1: Mark Jeffreys, are you calling out the Bengals right now?
Speaker 2: I am asking for their help to be the partner that they need to be in the community.
Speaker 1: Like i'd say, you're calling them out, And you know what, I say, good for you.
Speaker 2: Pushing on this for a year and a half, and I believe in pushing the private but at some point, like come on, guys, well.
Speaker 3: Everybody else does.
Speaker 1: And the thing is, they never bow to public pressure. They do with they want to do, and that's that's the team. You can't tell them what they want to do with their own money. But but hold on just a second. We know that Charlie Frank and the Red's Community Fund, I think it's the platinum standard in Major League Baseball I've talked to Charlie and he's going. He goes to other cities. I ran him in the airport, I think last year, and he was off to Boston to consult them on how to expand their community involvement. And so the Red's Community Fund that the mission there is to raise all this money to build youth urban the Urban Acabinet, all these youth fields and everything else, and they're involved FC and Jeff Birding saw this and said, you know what, that's a great thing to reinvest in our community because they get a lot of heat because they're expanding in the West End. You know, there's the Brian Gary's the world that they're screaming about, you know, gentrification and running poor people out of neighborhoods. All want and good, but you know, there's no tax base. They're bringing the tax money back in is going to pay dividends. And then of course when you do things like this where you have you know, urban but also suburban soccer leagues. You know, you soccer in the area surrounding Cincinnati's massive, and FC partnering and opening those fields and getting training programs together for young people pays dividends, not just for the community and the kids, but also for the team itself because you have built in fans and then at some point the Reds and FC hopefully have young people that wind up playing soccer or baseball and wind up playing for the hometown team. That's a great story. So those teams are doing it. The Bengals are not. And the question would be it can't possibly be because of money. It's not a money issue. I wouldn't think, or maybe it is, but those two programs I mentioned pay for themselves, so they're almost They're self funded, is what they are. And it's good for the brand, it's good for the team, it's good for the community. Our other two major leagues sports are doing it. The Bengals won't one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: You said it better than I could, Scott. I mean, look, at minimum, they should be doing something like book the pot that doesn't cost them a penny a penny out of their pockets. At minimum, I think it should be something that can more to what FC Cincinnati and the Reds do. And you know, I've been pushing on that and you know will continue to push on it because I think it's the right thing to do.
Speaker 1: Mark Jefferies you know. The other thing too, is we just built or agreed to a taxpayer expense to redo pay Course Stadium. It's going to cost Hamlin County commissioners approved what four hundred and seventy million dollars for renovation, and that's about seventy four percent. The Bengals, the NFL, and the hook for twenty six percent. Hamlin County is going to pick up seventy four percent. It's a lot better than the deal we had last time around the nineties. But when you look at other stadia around the NFL, that's not even I mean, there's some stadiums that are forty or percent or more funded by the team, not the Bengals. So they're taking money from Hamlin County and taxpayers. You think maybe a little kickback, if you want to call it that, to the kids, to the youth, to maybe build a couple of football fields. I don't know, what's that going to cost? A million dollars out of three hundred and fifty million dollars out of the billions at the Bengals break in, seems like it's not that high a bar for them to jump over. We're talking. I mean, you know, FC is doing it and MLS money, I'm sorry, is nothing compared to NFL money, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think at minimums. God, they should commit to five hundred thousand, which would help operating costs for that's like equipment for these kids. We need to make sure these kids are the right equipment right. You know, if you have a helmet that doesn't fit, you know, can get a concussion. And these are little pee wee kids, you know, five six, seven years old. We've got to make sure that the kids are safe. They have the right equipment, we have coaches for them, all those security, operating costs and build in the fields. I think they should commit to funding at least happening, which is not it's a drop in the bucket. Yeah, it's not what even what the Reds or FC does, but it's definitely progress. And if we can get them to commit to that, I think, you know, our kids and they would be better offward.
Speaker 1: No, it's good for the community too. You can't force someone to spend money on something that I want to but the optics because are terrible. Considering we just approved another contentious stadium deal and the team is terrible. You think you'd want to do something to make me lift your image up, unless, of course you don't care, and then that would mesh of course with things like not taking the snow off the seats during a playoff game and everything else that's going on down there. So I don't know what drum they'd beat. Beat the beat of the drum they listened to is you got me? And much smarter people than myself have tried to answer that question and failed. So I look at this as going the Bengals. I think calling them out is a good thing. Have you talked to it all to the county commissioners because the deal was struck not by the city but the county relative to funding the stadium with taxpayer money. Is this something the county and the city can partner with to try and get the Bengals to maybe cooperate a little bit better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have. I know that the county there's still a community benefits agreement that they're negotiating with the Bengals. So I'm not in not pervy on what those negotiations, but I have encouraged to this be a part of that, and so hopefully as part of that community benefits agreement, it, and it's the county's negotiating with them. I have encouraged investment in youth football in particular, could be a part of them.
Speaker 1: Do you need a contract to do this? I mean, may hear go? Okay, the negotiating a deal and the community impact all this stuff. Should you just do it because it's the right thing to do.
Speaker 2: Oh, of course, Scott. But you know it's not happening. So you know some things that are happening. My you know, when I was seventeen years of P and G. Like, my belief is you meet what's only a private you try to encourage them in doing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and now you're going to publicly shame them. So and sometimes that works.
Speaker 2: You know, when you're not you're not doing it, then come on, let's let's let's push on all angles.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right, te here's a council member, Mark Jefferies, really putting it out there for us, a smarting Mark. I appreciate the time. And also I agree one hundred percent with your sentiments here. You can't force someone to spend money. But you know the Reds do this, FC does this. Why the hell aren't the Bengals stepping up and helping out with these youthfusootball fields. And it's good for the brand, it's good for the city, it's good for everybody, especially when you get, you know, hundreds of millions of dollars to redo pay Course Stadium and the product sucks. I appreciate it. Thanks again, I appreciate it. Scott all Right, Yeah, all the best man there you go. Are you blown away by this? Maybe not surprised, but the fact that he's been working for a year and a half behind the scenes to maybe get the Bengals to help build some football fields, I mean two or three football fields. You look at how many baseball fields the Reds Community Fund has redone, It's countless, and not just in Cincinnati but around the whole region as well as Kentucky and Indiana. Plus the other programs you know, Knutsall Field, Dreachy. You've got all these programs that they do, and that is the platinum standard. I mean, the Reds can do it, FC can do it. Why aren't the Bengals doing it? Are you surprised by this? I don't think I am. In the context of what we're talking about five three, seven, four nine, seven thousand, quick time out more to follow Sloany seven hundred WLWT Scott's Loan Show. This is seven hundred WLW probably a clip you're going to be hearing for a while. He is counsel member Mark Jefferies just on the show minutes ago, and if you missed any of that, it'll be on the podcast after the show. Via the iHeartRadio app, you can listen where we might of course take us on the go too, if you're popping on the car or whatever it is right now and you want to listen because you're talking about well, a couple of things. First of all, I was asking about the security cameras. I also heard this little story and really hasn't made news yet that the city's been working really hard to try to get football fields for youth football teams and Cincinnati. It ma makes sense if you know the background of this, you know that there's been violence and crime in and around especially Taft in other areas, and they're trying to move away from CPS because the cost to the youth football teams have to foot the bill for this. They don't have the money, barely have enough money to rent the fields, but they got to pay for security and everything else and they just can't do it and there's nothing CPS can do about. It's the cost of doing business. So now the city's going, well, what if we had separate football field. It's like two, three, four whatever football fields around town for young people to play, and we know that that pays dividends. We know that, like our kids play sports in suburbia and it gets them occupied, makes them active, interested in something that works great in urban areas too, because you know, it gives kids something new, gives them a purpose, and they tend to And the research is pretty solid about this that kids who are engaged in sports, engaged in anything for that matter, tend to be better citizens, tend not to be disruptive and cause problems in juvenile delinquency. We know that because they're doing something else awesome. You know, that's an investment in kids, our future, but it's also investment in our communities. That's good money spent, in my opinion. So where do you get the money from, well, Mark Jeffrey said, unlike the breads, it's been millions of dollars to the Red's Community Fund in building youth baseball fields in and around Cincinnati, not just Cincinnati. Let's face it, that thing's expanded to Red's Nation, Indiana and Kentucky as well. Charlie Franken's team does an unbelievable job, as does Jeff Birding's team at FC Cincinnati in building soccer field and having youth soccer academies and things like that. So the obvious question being, well, well, the Bengals should be down with that, right, And if you just heard Mark Jeffers, he said not really. He's been working with them Courtney and Mark a year and a half and crickets And first of all, if you're looking to share, and every time we bring this up, you know, there's always some sort of trickle down about how the Bengals aren't happy that you know, we're talking badly about them or saying, you know, negative. You can change that perception in the community. It's easy to do. I'm not one to tell a billionaire how to spend their money or a millionaire for that money. It's your money, do what you want. But as a member of the community, as someone who roots very hard for Cincinnati, it just it fits into the context that the team is cheap and if you're looking at that, bothers you and look, what's the outlawe here. You go, well, you're talking about spending some money here, and that's not your money to spend. I get that. But if the Reds can do it, and certainly FC and MLS and MOLB for them that are compared to the National Football League NFL money is a whole different world. And somehow they can find room to do because I think they go, yeah, listen, you know what we get some negative press. FC is a great example. We got, you know, look at what we're doing the West End. We built the stadium, we had pushed back from the residents. We're trying to make everybody happy. Yes, we're going to have to acquire some property. Yes some people are going to be displaced, but we try to do the right thing. And you know, there's always gonna be chronic complainers about gentrification everything else. That's their job is to complain. But how you fix poverty is by lifting and rising all ships and making sure that that money that comes back in the form of taxes and everything else, money spent in the community goes back to the community, and I honestly think FC is doing a great job of that. And as they continue to expand their footprint in and around the West End. That's just going to continue. Good for them. They don't have to do that, but they're doing that. And so if your other two major league franchises are leaning in hard on these things, then it stands out even more to reinforce the error about the Bengals. That is not a football team. It's a bunch of lawyers running a football team. That doesn't help the narrative. It doesn't help the narrative. Again, it's just one thing after another, not clearing the seats at a play at a football game when it snows, doing the bare minimum to get by, because that's what the contract says. At some point, you got to step outside the boundaries and go instead of being a bunch of lawyers sweating the details of words and negotiating things for years on end because that's what lawyers do, step back and be human for a second. Put put you know, you need more of a they The thing that they lack is empathy. They lead a sense of Hey, listen, what's in the contracts? In the contract, we'll weather a letter of the contract. Do you really need a contract to go? Hey? You know, crime's a problem in our town. We live here. We're local ownership, which that's I hear about all the time. Well, at least they're local ownership. You know, you get some other group kind they could move the team, sure, but they're local. They're not going anywhere. Okay, good, Well if you're local, isn't it more of a reason to lean into your own hometown? And I could see if it's some outside interest that doesn't really care, you know, John bon Jovi buys the Bengals, it's from Jersey, doesn't care. But if you live here, you work here, your family's from here, you were raised here, is there more of a reason, like well the Castellini's, for the example, to do something for the community, Why do you need a contract to go? All right, we'll throw you I don't know, a couple hundred thousand dollars. How about some helmets, write, some uniforms, practice stuff like that. And I know that they've done academies and camps and stuff like that. I'm not saying that they don't do that. But to take ownership in the community and invest in a field, one field, two, three fields, is it really that big an ask? Considering and put in the context of what not only happened in the nineteen nineties with these dadium funding fiasco, but the fact that the CaMLA County Commissioner has just approved a four hundred and seventy million dollars rebuild of pay Course Stadium, of which tax bears the county kick in three hundred and fifty million, and the Bengals in the NFL kick in one hundred and twenty million. So the Bengals went in for sixty million out of their own pocket if they split it, which is about thirteen percent of the cost, seventy four percent of it is on tax bears. At some point, don't you give something back and go, yeah, we got to do this, not because it's in a contract, not because we've got to negotiat, but because like, we want to do that. And not only that, it's not even is Jefferies Mark Jeffries has pointed out and it's so accurate. Now the Reds do this with the Reds Community Fund. So when they go out and raise money and they do the fifty to fifty raffles and all the stuff they do in the community, you know, Marty's golf outing and the poker thing, all the stuff that they do. All that money goes back into this mission, So it sounds like it's really costing the team. It's it's charitable donations from the community that they could wind up doing the same thing, and it should not take a year and a half. And you could hear the frustration and Mark Jeffrey's voice going, look, I'm exhausted. We've been battling this and you know, we continue to get young people killed. I mean, isn't there a direct connection between what happened at Laurel Playground and what happens in the streets where these young people get shot and trying to prevent that from happening. Is that, Yeah, they're older, Maybe teenagers are a little bit older the ones that are doing the shooting. But if you give younger people something to do occupy their time, maybe you're not going to stop it, but maybe put a den in it. And also, shouldn't these kids have that opportunity you can do with baseball, you can do a soccer. Why aren't we doing the football. It's a bad look for this team and a team that does not lead any more Black Eyes. And it's not just because they've failed miserably on the field with the offensive weapons that have We beat that topic to death, but this is a different This is about the community and if you live here, if you grow up here, if you're part of that fabric, and no one more part of the fabric than the Brown family. This seems like something you should just do as opposed to trying to negotiate it. And you know, the team is as they said, it's I didn't coin this phrase, but they are undefeated. They're in the Hall of Fame, They're in the super Bowl, They're the New England Patriots of legal maneuvering. I had if you hadn't banger banners up at pay Court before, what they have done in the courtroom as opposed to what they've done on the field. Five three, seven, four nine seven Thousan the Big One talk back I Heart Radio. And I'm not saying this to be malicious towards the team and punch at them or and it's it's as is, someone who in the community goes this doesn't make any sense. And for a council member to sound as frustrated as Mark Jeffreys is about this, I agree with them. That's not a good look when when your own city government is upset with you because they perceive you as not being a good community partner. Five and three seven four nine, seven thousand. Let me roll with John on a cell on the big one of the Scott'slan Show. Hey, John, how are you?
Speaker 4: Hey?
Speaker 1: Slowly?
Speaker 4: Hey, uh, Devil's advocate for a second here. You know, we don't know what the Brown family does in private, right yep, Medllion, we don't know, right, and that's the business.
Speaker 1: Correct, And you have a right to.
Speaker 3: Be very private, no question.
Speaker 1: Let me interrupt it, just John, let me interrupt you in a second. I've said that in the past, and I thank you for reminding me, because I didn't say it this time. I've heard behind the scenes that that mister Brown, the family is very generous. They don't want the publicist. It's kind of old school. They don't want the attention, they don't want the publicity. And I get that. But in the context of this, you know, if you're doing that already, is it that much harder to build the football fields? I would ask and say, you know what, And there's at some point you've got to you know, you're your own best advertiser. We live in an era where everyone is a brand. So I'm sorry you need that's the stuff you need to do. That's a slam dunk.
Speaker 4: Well, that's true, that's true. And I will tell you the Bengals need to march over to you know, great American and whoever the PR guy is for the Reds, they need to hire him for a couple of years. But let's also go back to you know, the Browns. Perception is reality, right, And there's a reason why free agents, really good free agents never come here ever. Ever, we never get free agents in their prime coming here.
Speaker 3: It never happens.
Speaker 1: Well, we don't really go after free agents.
Speaker 4: But you really think, you really think an agent gets a hold of a top ten free agent? Does Let's go talk to the Bangles. They don't, right, but they have this this inate ability to screw up an opportunity to really look good. And and let's be honest, you are if you are an NFL franchise unter right, or the family of an NFL franchise owner, you are on third base.
Speaker 1: I mean you have yes, you are, no question, but.
Speaker 4: You have al obligation when you benefit financially from taxpayers. I don't know any other industry in the professional sports, right, that benefits as much as and so there is a moral obligation. And again maybe they do donate in privately.
Speaker 1: They absolutely do. I'm not saying that they don't are generous, they just don't want the they don't want the attention. They want to be anonymous in their donations. Mister Brown, everyone and I appreciate that, and I acknowledge that one hundred percent. But there are times where you've got to especially when it's a public private partnership, especially when you drop three fifty on redoing pay Corps, that you've got to make that gesture to make it look like it's genuine and organic, and it may not be, but to come out and say, hey, listen, you guys have supported us. We know we can do better on the field. We want to be a part of the fabric of this community. And that is why the Reds get the get the leeway that they do. I mean, the team has been terrible for a long time, but we have more of affinity for the rest and I think it's because of the great work that the Reds Community Fund does. Now another example, they're winning and they're giving back. So it it's their peers that make them look worse. It's not me or the community saying hey, you cheap sobs. That's not it at all. You're being overshadowed by the other franchises in this town.
Speaker 4: Well, let me tug. It is almost impossible to lose money in the NFL as an otor.
Speaker 1: You can't do it. You can't do it, that's right.
Speaker 4: You can't lose money in the In baseball, you can lose money very quickly because you get outspent by everybody else. Right, So it is it is almost impossible to lose money. You could sit back and do nothing and make money right. Well, and I guess we look at that and go, yeah, that's probably the case right on the field. On the field, right, But anyway, they need to improve their pr go borrow the guys that they're reds and FC used, and let's improve their brands.
Speaker 1: Yeah, John, I mean they took a step forward I think with the with the Blackburn girls taking over and doing your social market, social media in the Ring of Honor and all those things you should have been doing, and it's like, oh my god, it's about time we finally did that. We've we've bowed the public pressure, even though Mike didn't want to do mister Brown didn't want to do this. It's timer when them to go, hey, look, this is a bad look for us right now. And they've known this for a while. But the idea that, hey, we'll let the lawyers do what they do, and they probably don't care what I'm saying or you're saying at this point because they have a history of that, Like we're going to listen to our own internal voices. I think the rest of us had say, well, how's that worked out for you so far? When it's come to community involvement and it's come to the play on the field, not so good. Now. Again, if your job is not to necessarily win football games, and if you're making money and also winning in the courts, then this team is literally literally a dynasty. But again, winning in courts and making money doesn't ingrain you with the community as much as you could be. There's plenty of other You look around the National Football League and most teams than not are adored in their communities. And you know, if that doesn't matter to you, then that just reinforces what I'm saying here today anyway, And I'm not going to not holding the gun to anybody's head to make them spend money they don't want to spend. But you can also appine and say the optics on that are terrible. I mean, it's really it's not that big an ass to get some helmets in a field for a bunch of kids, indeed, to keep them and let's face it, get them off the street and maybe prevent them from turning to a life of Judah delinquency in crime. You could literally use literally changing That's what the Reds. You know, the Reds do with the Community Fund. That's the whole idea is, you know, it's twofold. Number one is it does get kids off the street, gets them interested in something else and keeps their noses clean, which we need more of these days. But also it sell their own interest. Right there is the fact that, hey, you know what it used to be that baseball was played, stickball, that kind of stuff on the urban streets, and you know what, basketball came along and that became this How do we get young people interested again in the game of baseball? And maybe you don't, I don't know what they're trying. Football is like the biggest product in the world. Everyone wants to play in the NFL. You know, here's an opportunity to change young people's lives by giving them that opportunity to live that dream, to get on the field and play, as opposed to well what else causing trouble? If you can save a few of these, say, and I don't want to sound like, oh the children, but it's true. You can't save them all, but he can save a few, it seems like a not only noble endeavor, but also an investment in your team, in your future and helping, you know, reinforce how great that brand is. Anyway, all we got news coming up in just a few minutes here on the Big one, seven hundred w WELW down. I expect to be talking about that this morning. Actually did want to talk a little bit about what's happening in Minnesota. I don't know, maybe we're tired of that.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Every day there's something new. And I will say this that you know, watching the new video that's come out with the Pretty Guy, that he looks like an angry guy first of all in the video. There's no doubt about it. And I will say this, if you saw that as I did, and he's kicking out the tail light on a ice vehicle and he wasn't arrested for that, which quite honestly surprised me. It seems like, you know, you're beating up on a government vehicle, you're probably gonna get cuffed. You should get cuffed at that point. But I think the problem is is that you know, people will see that and go, well, there you go, this is why he was shot. Well, no, it wasn't. It was a separate thing entirely. I look at that and go, yeah, you know, clearly he likes to go, well, he's motivated enough to go out and protest and be violent in this protest as you saw him, you know, kicking out the tailight in a car. But you'll also notice, and I don't know if he's carrying his weapon with that time. I wo'd assume he would if he's taken it everywhere, his concealed carry weapon. He didn't pull it out. And you know, he wasn't shot when he's kicking the light out, and that was much more violent than what we saw that led to his death. I can look at that objectively and go, yeah, the guy seems to shlan a show up at protests. He really doesn't like ice. I get that, and you're allowed to do that. I think there are people and I've heard it before and he emails and everything else, DMS people saying, Saint C you're defending this guy, and well, you know, you can protest and you can act up, but there's no reason whatsoever to shoot the guy. And if you think because it fits your political ideolagyr narrative, there's the problem because guess what's gonna have At some point, it's gonna go the other way, and you're gonna have Democrats in power and they're gonna do this to conservatives or people who are on the right who are protesting, and you're gonna screen bloody murder. That's why, you know, if Kyle Rittenhouse comes to mind, it's like I supported Kyle Rittenhouse. I get what he was doing because you're allowed to do that. And you know, because I support the Second Amendment in the first as well, you're allowed to go out there and protest against your government. We should be doing more of it. Quite honestly, it shouldn't lead unless you're actually pointing, physically threatening, assaulting that leads to the shooting death of you. You know what happened with him. I look at that, and I don't think most people look at that and go, yeah, you can't be shooting a guy you've already disarmed, even if it isn't the you know, the fog of war, the cloud of confusion. Sorry, anyway, there'll be more on this, I'm sure coming out too. But people see that and go, ah, my mind's already made up. I have to support the cause and he had it coming. But I you know, I should say the same thing about Ashley Babbitt during January sixth. What's the difference? Scott Flung Show, It's a home of the Red seven hundred WWT, Cincinnati. I know about you. I've got a lot of subscriptions in my life. I'm not a member. I'm not subscribed to the bulletin of the Atomic Scientist. What is that? Well, you don't really know that group. What you do know is their product. Every year since nineteen forty seven, they update the doomsday clock. That's a metaphor for how close regard to humans being extinct, and we are now closer than ever to midnight. Last week they just rolled this baby up to eighty five seconds. Eighty five seconds to the stroke of doom. Now it's arbitrary, right, but you think about what we're doing right now, and it's not just you know, climate and technologies like AI and autocracy taking it around the world, but specifically you think of nuclear powers, and you think about well, the president wanting to take over Greenland as a strategic defense in Minsie and so these are the factors probably more in there why they've moved the doomsday clock up to eighty five seconds till midnight. Let's see closest it's ever been. Annie Jacobson is quite the expert on the end of humanity, specifically when it comes to nuclear armageddon. She writes all about it. If you think eighty five seconds of Midnight's worrisome, seventy two minutes is all we have from the first launch till we're all gone, seventy two minutes is all will take to wipe out civilization. Annie Jacobson, welcome back.
Speaker 5: How you Ben, I'm great, Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Let's jump in with sources to start here as people go, okay, is this fiction?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: Is it made for TV? Movie kind of situation? Because presumably a lot has changed since nineteen eighty three in the day after. Who'd you talk to?
Speaker 6: I talked to forty six sources on the record, Secretary of Defense, the Nuclear sub Force Commander, Obama's BEMA director, Stratcom Commander. I can go on and on, and readers should look at those sources. They're right up front in the book for exactly that reason.
Speaker 5: Although this is.
Speaker 6: A hypothetical situation, it is one that could most certainly happen. That's why so many high ranking sources went on the records with me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I you know, I mentioned the day after, but it all ends with an explosion and a lot of people are dead. Is there such a thing as being prepared?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Well, me taking I don't know a blanket from my picnic and throwing it over me and my family protect me from the big blast.
Speaker 6: What comes to mind when you ask me that question is a cool find. Nikita Kruse, chef, the former Soviet premiere, and he said, after a nuclear war, the living would envy the dead. That's what an apocalyptic situation it will be after a nuclear exchange. In the words of the Stratcom Commander, General Keeler, who I spoke with for the book, he said to me, Annie. We were discussing what would happen in a nuclear exchange between Russia and America and their massive arsenal.
Speaker 5: On ready for launch.
Speaker 6: Status, and he said to me, Annie, the world could end in the next few hours.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we have what nine nuclear armed nations including US, and pretty much I'm guessing that here in Cincinnati there are nuclear oarheads pointed towards US. As far as the arsenals go, is there any place on Earth that's not going to be scorched if we have on again?
Speaker 6: There isn't and that has to do with not just the mass fires that will result in a nuclear exchange. Keep in mind that America has one seven hundred and seventy nuclear weapons on i'm ready for launch status.
Speaker 5: That doesn't include the.
Speaker 6: Ones in the arsenal, the entire arsenal, but that is a number that is ready for launch. Russia has approximately the same and so you're talking about thousands of nuclear weapons potentially going off. But what the real damage is and where the apocalypse happens? Five billion people dead is now the estimate is from the nuclear winter that will ensue. The firestorms create billions of pounds of soot being lofted into the air. This blocks out the sun and creates what it's called nuclear winter, a theory that interestingly, that same time frame you're referencing the day after in the early eighties, when the nuclear winter theory first came out, the Defense Department sort of marginalized it, claiming it to be Soviet propaganda. I found documents that demonstrated the Defense Department was seriously concerned. They just put that information out there because the idea was this is bad for nuclear war business.
Speaker 5: And so you see, we always have these kind.
Speaker 6: Of misinformations and disinformation's going off.
Speaker 5: It's just part and Parsons to a democracy.
Speaker 1: Talking to any Jacobson this morning, who's an expert on nuclear warfare of all things, and writes about it. So Trump is proposing this golden or at least he's leaving that. I don't know if it's going to go anywhere, but let's say we have incoming nukes, so let's go through this. The president has about six minutes to respond. I'm typically I would think that someone's launching at us, We're not gonna launch at anyone else, and then the world is over in seventy two minutes, which is I can't even contemplate that. I don't think anyone listening can. So you got about hour twelve minutes before it's all over all right, So what happens in that six minutes. Let's I'm guessing satellites detect and there's thermal imaging that detect and see the signatures of the ICBMs that launch from Let's say I don't know, let's say Russia, they're coming at us, and it's verified.
Speaker 6: What happens, Well, you're absolutely right that the kicking time clock scenario is inherent in this and that is because of technology, as you say, the satellite systems. But hold that six minute window for the president for a moment, because that doesn't happen until about minutes seven or eight of a scenario, and that is because activity happens within the Defense.
Speaker 5: Department before they bring the information to the president. Because the president.
Speaker 6: Then has six minutes that window you describe that sixth minute window is for him to launch a nuclear counter attack against any of the nuclear armed nations that would be crazy enough to launch a nuclear weapon. And still in my scenario, I have North Korea launching what is called a bolt out of the blue attack. And that is because presidential advisor's former presidential advisors.
Speaker 5: Told me that this is a quote, a bolt.
Speaker 6: Out of the blue attack against Washington, DC is what everyone in Washington, DC fears most. So that But let me just make an interesting point about the satellite system, which.
Speaker 5: You are absolutely right. We have a satellite system in space. It's called SIBBERS.
Speaker 6: It's built by Lockheed, and it detects nuclear launch in under a fraction of a second launch. You can see why the chicken time clock then begins.
Speaker 1: Right, and once a nuke is launched, there's no recall. This isn't a movie. It's once you hit that button, it's over right.
Speaker 6: An ICBM, a nuclear armed ICBM cannot be recalled. It also cannot be redirected.
Speaker 1: The president then has to decide response, which presumably is set in stone, right. I mean, if someone's launching a nuke at us, we're going to launch at them.
Speaker 6: There are policies in place, you're absolutely right, and we have Stratcom commanders on the record, you know, explaining some about those details, and I've brought them literally in the book. But another interesting thing is, yes, we have this satellite system in space which detects the nuclear launch within a fraction of a second, but then the nuclear command and control skins into action. There are three bunker systems nuclear bunkers in the United States under the Pentadon inside Cheyenne Mountain and beneath the Stratcom in Omaha, Nebraska, and those facilities go into hyperdrive as the second pick out, because now before the president launches a counter attack, you must have what is called secondary confirmation, and that comes from a radar system that.
Speaker 5: Is land based.
Speaker 6: In the scenario that I write, it is in Alaska, that is where it is.
Speaker 5: And so that.
Speaker 6: Secondary conversation confirmation comes.
Speaker 5: As the missile comes over the.
Speaker 6: Horizon, and that occurs at about eight or nine minutes. And at that point the president literally now.
Speaker 5: It's time for him to open the football.
Speaker 6: That's famous football that follows around the president twenty four to seven three sixty five, carried by the military aid, and the president must open the black book and make his decision about how and where to launch the counter strike.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about that Annie. So the football we all learned about that. As you have a military aid that carries it around and the launch codes are in there. Presument and it's a pretty big satchel too. I mean, guess there are like a couple of sandwiches in there, maybe a you know, a pop or something, and a red bull and what else was in there?
Speaker 6: They're inside the nuclear football is the black book, and also an identification process that will make it clear to the nuclear command center beneath the Pentagon that the president is indeed the president. And so he has in his wallet what is called the biscuit. It's a laminated card. Inside the football are the codes and that system is matched up. Interestingly, it's not biometric. It's not like an IRIS scan or a fingerprint. It's none of that. It is old school analogue call and response, and then it is endgame.
Speaker 1: Is there anyone that can override that? Is there a way to you know, can the president go rogue and say give me the football, I'm mad at I don't know North Korea, let's say, or Iran and I'm going to order a strike. Is there a way to override that?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 6: I asked this question to the chief historian of the Classified library at Los Alamos. Los Alamos was very forthcoming with me and provided me even with some declassified, declassified some documents on the football, specifically for the book.
Speaker 5: And I asked that question to doctor.
Speaker 6: Glenn McGuff at the lab, and I said, you know, would anyone override anything in any of these situations? You're you know, essentially your question that you've asked me, and I well, I asked the classic question, which is, would a missilear not turn the key to launch the nuclear sylum or would a submarine or not launch not turn the key to launch the ballistic missile from the submarine.
Speaker 5: And what doctor mcdust said.
Speaker 6: To me was, Annie, you'd have more chances of winning Powerball than having someone in the nuclear command and control chain of command defy orders.
Speaker 1: It's pretty sober and considering well where we are politically in this country right now, well, I'm just.
Speaker 5: Going to be there because it certainly is sobering. My goodness.
Speaker 6: Cognition and judgment are what is imperative for potus.
Speaker 5: I am not a political writer.
Speaker 6: I write about potis the president of the United States. That individual is in charge of the nuclear arsenal. They have what is called sole presidential authority. They ask permission of no one, not the sec death, not the chairman of the Joint chiefs of staffs, not Congress. You want someone in that position of authority that has all their marvels and all their judgment.
Speaker 1: So the birds are in the air, they're flying at each other. What then happens? And we just sit there and wait to die.
Speaker 6: Let me give you an example of one of the absolutely most existentially perilous that is a true fact in the scenario that I write for lots of reasons that I explained in the book Choosing North Korea, when the United States makes a nuclear counter attack in a following launch on morning protocol and following what is suggested to the President of North Korea. The scenario launches one nuclear missile of US and then a second, and the response from the Defense Department is eighty two nuclear weapons in response. And there are reasons you can read in the notes why that number exists. And as those ICBMs and sub launched ballistic missiles are heading toward North Korea, the Russians are alerted.
Speaker 5: And what readers learn in the book Spoiler Alert is.
Speaker 6: That the United States is ICBMs, our intercontinental ballistic missile that are going to go from our continent to North Korea to get to North Korea. They do not have enough rain to fly there directly, they must fly over Russia. And so imagine a scenario where nuclear weapons are flying and Russia has.
Speaker 5: No way to believe.
Speaker 6: That the nuclear that the ICBMs that are heading allegedly over their territory are not heading to their territory, and that triggers a counter response. I discussed this with Secretary Panetta, former Secretary of Defense Beyond Panetta, and he said something to me that's quoted in the book, like, it's really unfortunate that in a time of crisis, no one's thinking about how other nuclear armed nations might react.
Speaker 1: Final question for Annie, because I know you got to get going. Tell me it's going to be okay.
Speaker 6: I cannot tell you that, and I believe that's why so many sources went on the record with me. This is a sort of hair trigger moment we're all living in, and to quote the United Nations Secretary General, we are one misunderstanding, one miscalculation away from nuclear annihilation.
Speaker 5: And that is a true fact. Actually, I'm going to end on a hopeful note. Your last point about the day after.
Speaker 6: I was a high school student at the time, and hundred million people watched that terrifying film TV film about a nuclear war between Russia and the United States. But one very important American also watched it, and that was President Reagan.
Speaker 5: And before that, before.
Speaker 6: Seeing that he was a nuclear hawk, he believed the more nuclear weapons the better. After watching it, he wrote in his White House Journal, he was greatly depressed. That caused him to reach out to our quote unquote enemy, the Soviet Union. Reagan reached out to Gorbachev. As a result, they had their recordic summit. The world went from seventy thousand nuclear weapons seventy thousand to the approximately twelve thousand, five hundred we haff today. That's a hopeful note. The president of the United States can.
Speaker 5: Begin to make a change.
Speaker 1: Any Jacobson nuclear war a scenario. It's a really cool read. I'm looking forward to getting into this on vacation and to say, minute by minute, blow by blow, what was happened, What would happen if we have a nuclear war a nuclear attack? Andy, all the best, Thanks for coming on the show. Appreciate it's great stuff.
Speaker 5: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Doomsday clock closest has ever been to midnight, which means bad things. However, I can always see I always see the silver lining of things. I'm made perpetual optimist, nuclear I'm againin comes, at least for the few seconds before we perish, will be warm. Coming up next to the show, he is our resident health, fitness and er doctor Sanjay Shaefer CREMANI everything you need to know about g LP ones, you know the injectables and now the oral tablets that are coming out as well. Do you really need to be on the stuff who's indicated for? And weight loss questions because you may have been fighting the battle since the first year and going this is stupid. I'm not losing any weight. I need to do something. I'll answer the questions. Coming up next Scott's Loan seven hundred WLW, Scott's Flane Show seven hundred WW Welcome to it. So before I get into it with Sanjay, here about GLP once. This is a great tie in too, because we'll talk about food first. I didn't see this coming, so I went to uh, my wife's like, oh, I'm I for d I stopped at Dorothy Lane Marketing and Mason and I'm like, you know, one of those you don't know what's for dinner? And they had the homemade, and they make everything homemade there. Romen Broth, Like where do you buy romen? They sold rog romen broth. So about Ramen, it was phenomenal as good as a restaurant's phenomenal. And I love and hate that place because they spent all my money there, but it's so good between that and home improvement places that that's all I have. Yesterday dropped off from turkey and wild Royce soup and the bread bowls and crunchy bacon coal slaw, and they make everything in house. I think it even like they have some indoor wheat farm that they harvest their and wheat inside. I don't know how they do it, but it's damn it. Everything's good.
Speaker 2: You have to go.
Speaker 1: I'd never have that again. The killer brownies are that, they're killer brownie. So thanks to Dorothy Lane Market dropping off some desperately needed soup yesterday, Sonja I had to explain to her own Bill Cunningham what a bread bowl was. The man is eighty years old, has no idea what a bread bowl is.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there's still time to learn stuff. Yeah, well is that that's like it's a bread bowl?
Speaker 1: Well, what do you mean? Like, well, they cut the top off and you put the soup in the bowl and the and the bowl. The bread is the bowl and then you eat the bread if you want. And he's like, oh, then it's a bread bowl. Yeah, well so is there their soup in it? There is there soup and the bread? Like, no, you take the hot soup and put never mind, Yeah, forget it. Thanks to doroth our friends at Dorothley Lane Market for hooking us up yesterday. Was absolutely speaking.
Speaker 7: Of Dorothy Lane. Yeah, yeah, I've I've actually gone there and ordered a raws steak which they'll cook to your like right there right yeah, and it was phenomenal.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: And then I just pulled up to the wine and beer section where my two b father in law works. So say hi to Mike if you ever stopped around there. Mike, Mike works the food and wine sections. Say hi for the beer and wine section. Say hi for me.
Speaker 1: That's a good guy to know. Yeah, that's not marrying her because it's because the connection to the food to the wine and beer. Guy. We'll talk later, all right, I gotcha, I gotcha. He is Sancha shav Crimani. Uh. He is a physician. He our doctor at that and also talk expert in fitness and food and everything else. One of those things intersect. We're gonna, you know, cramming down a healthy lifestyle downe in your throat by any means, because I like to eat as badly as the next guy. However, there comes a time where you start to do a self assessment and go, maybe I need to drop a couple LB's get to show weight, as they say at the State Fair. And a lot of people are going, what about these glp ones? What about the injectables, what about the ozepic, what about the orals? What about the medication? Because this is about the time, if not already, Sanjay, as you know, people do that first of year thing. I got my new tracksuit, I got shoes, I got matching. Out fat. I'm from a woman. I'm going I'm getting an out fat. Those are not you an outfat? I got out fat. So you get outfit, you get earbuds, you get subscription, you go, you go to a gym, you got I've got a trainer, I've got it all going. I'm gonna needt Olympian in six months. Yeap, about this time, you go, I'm out. The struggle is too reels and you go or maybe you're doing it. You're like, wow, I thought I lose some weight and I'm only down like one and a half pounds. Whiskey tingo, fox ride. What about GLP ones, Maybe it's time to experiment with that, let's go. Yeah.
Speaker 7: So, you know, I think I think us as a society have really changed as far as it's and it's still changing as far as our perception of these medications. I think you know, when they first started coming out, they had a very negative perception because you know, it's the unknown, and that's how we deal with them. But over time, it's it's it's become more prevalent. In fact, do you know how many people are on them out there or what what percentage? Just like I think four or five people, give or take, it's actually twelve percent, twelve percent of people. Ten to twelve percent of people are on a GLP one. Now that could be for diabetes, it could be for weight loss, but we're talking one out of every eight people is on one. Have you ever seen Madison?
Speaker 1: By the way, it's something a prescription that has so quickly come on, like like everyone's on it.
Speaker 7: Not not to this degree. No, not that I can think of. I mean, you know, maybe statins and stuff like that, but it really this is this is really taking over. The interesting thing is a lot of people don't share that publicly. You know, there's still a little scarlet letters associated with it. I think from time that will go down as we understand obesity more. But yeah, the GLP ones are effective. I mean they're dropping. Patients are dropping their way to an average of like fifteen percent in a year of starting them, which is significant. I mean if that's one out of every seven of your pounds, so if you're one hundred and forty pounds, you're dropping twenty of those And.
Speaker 1: To your point, though it's so many people, it's actually changed our life expectancy. It's changed our overall fitness in America for the first time ever.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and what we're seeing is decreased rates of heart attacks, decrease rates of strokes in these patients. So it's not just you know, the vain thing that a lot of people say, you just want to look skinny. No, they're actually these are having positive effects on heart attacks, strokes, cholesterol, everything, insoluence, sensitivity. There are a ton of improvements and even the mental health associated with it, because obesity carries that too.
Speaker 1: All right, So it's indicated for whom then that's the big question as well. If I've got to lose ten, I mean, you need to know how much you weigh, maybe BMI comes to the factor, and what percentage of body fat you need to lose, So do the math for me? Who should be on this?
Speaker 7: So uh, there there are a lot of qualifications, and I mean, at the end of the day, doctors are prescribing it for a lot of people. But if you look at it, and especially what the insurance companies are covering, you know, your BMI has to be greater than forty, which is pretty pretty heavy for most of them. B and my greater than thirty is also working sometimes, but less than thirty you're really not be on it, yeah, especially for weight loss. Now if you're diabetic, you could certainly be on it, but that's not the primary.
Speaker 1: Purpose to get it there. Good, that's interest because I think I'm really close, so I need to eat more just to qualify.
Speaker 7: It's a good goal. To Dorothy Lane, you be expecting flan shortly, Well, I got a ram and that's good for you. Actually, a bone broth I need to have like well like you had. Yeah, yeah, it's flintstone size steak. Tip my car over steak as well. I can get all the sides because that's why we have steak. It's fun to hut yourself up and then then you can prescribe yourself some LFG to the GLP. We're alphabet souper right now. Somebody's gonna use that in marketing.
Speaker 3: You know that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So yeah, b I higher BMI thirty forty plus for sure. Yeah, it's indicated for you. I've also heard too that like the first thirty pounds come off, then after that nothing, Why is that? So it's hard to know for sure.
Speaker 7: It's you know, there is a lot of fat tissue to go away, and so as your body starts processing that, it's like anything. I mean, if you've got a lot of access, it's easy to get rid of the beginning and then it goes slower. Our body does develop a little bit of tolerance to these medications, so you're going to see patients that need higher doses. As we go up with higher doses, you also get more side effects of these medicines. So yeah, there is a slight plateau effect, but most people over the year lose about.
Speaker 1: It's about fifteen or so percent, okay, fifteen percent of your total bot if it didn't do the math, you know, two hundred pounds and then you hit that plateau. Okay, So what if I what if I BMI of forty to fifty let's say, and I know I'll lose more overall, because but I need to lose more than that. What do I do after that I plateau? Then what happens?
Speaker 7: So if you plateau, you know, there's there's more information coming out, So there's a lot of different things. The easy idea is let's increase your dose, but again that comes with some side effects. What we're also seeing is that these medications work really well for about fifty percent of people and not so well for the other fifty percent, and so the question is why. And as we learn more about obesity, we're learning a lot. So there's there's four phenotypes, so four different types essentially that we're thinking about what causes obesity and especially thinking about it in a medical sense. So there's having a hungry gut, having a hungry brain, having emotional hunger, and then having a slow burn, so we can walk through those hung four. Yeah, hungry gut is you know, your your stomach pushes stuff out, your food out really quickly, and so your stomach feels really hungry shortly after a meal where you should feel good for a while. Now, what the glp ones do is they slow down your stomach so that it's not pushing out that food quickly and you feel full longer.
Speaker 1: Got it.
Speaker 7: So that's hungry you gut. Hungry brain is you have cravings all the time. You can't stop thinking about it. You need to eat to fulfill your brain, and that's a different thing entirely. So the glp ones do help a little bit because they do affect the brain along with the gut and the pancreas, so they do affect that a little bit, but not as much as the hungry gut thing.
Speaker 1: Got it.
Speaker 7: Then you have the emotional hunger, which is basically stress eating. That is what gets meal lot of the time, or just like boredom or stress at work and I'm just you know, I'm eating snacks and I've gone through ten bags of chips before I know it.
Speaker 1: You're going through crazy all day working and then you're like I'll watch some TV and just chill, and then the next thing and I'm half into a bag of chips, exactly because now you've connected sitting in idle time and teeth watching, and you know, maybe your parents did it too, and it's like, okay, and that's a tough habit to break because.
Speaker 7: It's exactly and it's you know, habit is part of it. Your brain has formed these connections and so that is something that you know, GLP ones will help those patients a little bit, but really you need cognitive behavior therapy and stuff like that. And then the last one is basically a slow burner slow metabolism, and that's from you know, genetics, thyroid, but also could be like not having enough protein on board. We know that having muscle on board burns more calories than less muscle. Taking in more protein does the same, and so that can be helped less with GLP ones. That's not going to help your metabolism so much, but you're having more protein in your life will help that.
Speaker 1: Okay, Hungry, gut cravings, emotional slow metabolism. All right, So off the GLP you're going, I don't know if I want the glps. I can't afford whatever it might be, how you com are the ways to combat each one of those four symptoms that you just said are for indicators without GLP. So start with the hungry gut. So if you're constantly hungry all the time and you you know, you have a fast metabolism, I guess, or maybe you're eating the wrong foods.
Speaker 7: What, Yeah, hungry guts. It's the tougher one because that's the one that's really targeted by the g LP ones. But having small mules may or may not help you. It may make you want to eat a ton of small meals. Having a large meal, you know, it could it could be effective too. So that's the hard one that I you know, I would say these patients need the GLP ones because they have got the hungry hungry gut. Hungry brain is a different thing. That's again you know, emotional or cravings in general. There there are some medicines like now tre Zone, which helps with cravings, is being shown to help with alcohol addiction to so there are the medicines for that that would be a prescription. And then you know and overall just that could deal with you know, cognitive behavioral stuff as well. When we're dealing with, you know, the emotional eating. That's really cognitive behavioral therapy, working through it, being mindful of your eating, knowing you.
Speaker 1: Know, drug for that it's it's well, yeah, there may be some discipline, but it's it's such a loaded word, right as ye willpower as hard well, you know, and I know people who do mindful eating, which is just you know, before you reach for anything.
Speaker 7: Am I really hungry? Let me think about this. Just introducing a pause before reaching for food is sony.
Speaker 1: Why do we do that? By the way, Sanjay shave Cromani's a physician and the health and fitness guy, and we're talking about GLP once. Who needs them and why? Now's about the time of you're like, oh, I tried working out, exercise, it's just not working. I need something if it's right for you or not. Because you hear a lot of commercials and ads for that, to be sure, and you're inundated with g LP once. It's certainly a great thing, but it's not for everybody. And this is what you need to know. What about that element of it? Though, it's like, you know, the the I forgot I was gonna say, the hell was interesting. I lost it lost I'm blanking now, all right, I just had a brain fart. That's another topic. We'll say that for next week. Yeah, exactly. There's there's so much to cover on this. Yeah, the g but I'll move the conversation forward what I was saying earlier. Yeah, you do that, and I'll talk about the orals. So we So for whatever these have been inact, a lot of people are injectables. One of the dentist I know, I'm not going to take some shoot myself with a needle exactly.
Speaker 7: And fortunately those those injections are only once a week, which is still you know, fifty two weeks a year. You're you're getting an injection. And they've created those formulations so they last for a week in the body, so that that's what's helpful. This meant the GLP itself is a peptide that actually lasts only two to three minutes in the body, So making it last for a week is a feat in itself. That's the problem with oral medications that they've been trying to figure out. So now they have the medications. Specifically, WIGOVI has a or some glue tide has a covering that you can put on it that protects it from the stomach from breaking it down. It gets absorbed and will last for a day. So now these orals are out there as of earlier this month, and you have to take them thirty minutes before you eat, but you make them every day as opposed to once a week because they do break down quickly. Still, the nice thing about it is there's been a lot of competition in the market. Everyone's hearing about these things, and there's a pressure to drive the pressure. The price is down and we're talking about now. You know, these medicans medications as injectibles used to cost like upwards of one thousand per month. This is starting at about one hundred and forty nine dollars for a starter pack, and as you go up it gets more. And you know, I want to say, I'm not paid by any of these companies. This is just this is what I've researched and found and this is where we're at right now. So it's good the prices are coming down for these and more patients and people can be helped.
Speaker 1: Gotcha are the pills do they same efficacy as injectibles? Is one better than they're thinking? It's close.
Speaker 7: I think the as far as the trade names of zep Bound and Manjarro, those tend to work the best of the of the four that are out there. We're talking about efficacy of seven glue Tide, which is a little bit lower than those two. But as far as you know patients that don't want to get in les and want the routine of a daily pill, it seems like a good answer.
Speaker 1: I've also heard too, and you know, we talked about the plateau effect. You're going to lose fifteen percent and then then for whatever reason, that's about it right there. The other element that would be to okay, well, I got to find something else to do if I want to continuate. But I also heard that like once you once you're on it, you can't stop because you'll put the weight back on.
Speaker 3: Is that true?
Speaker 7: It's very true because you're so again we're talking about our our body's set points, so our body, you know, patients are built differently. We have to stop like criminalizing obesity. It's it's you know, it's a medical problem. And the more we see it that way, like it's blood pressure or diabetes, obesity is going to fall into that category. And you know, our bodies have set points, and so you know your your set point may be you know, well it's not clearly, but some patients set points are like, you know, two hundred and fifty pounds when they should be one hundred and fifty, and so you know they might get down to one fifty. But with the medicines, you come off and you'll gain that weight back considering assuming you haven't changed anything else about yourself. And the interesting thing about weight gain back is that it's about four times faster than if you've done it with diet and exercise alone, and so that's why it's getting kind of a bad name. But it's like, you know how many patients get off their statu medicines, their blood pressure medicines. You stay on those most of the time for life. Now, diet modifications may change that, but you know, you can assume that if you're going to start this medicine, it's not like you're addicted to it, but you know your body might need it, and so you're probably going to be on it for life unless we have a change in how we're going.
Speaker 1: Is the angel thing is like, okay, we try this thing, Hey, great, a loss this weight and then you just you go back to the habits that got you there in the first place. Yeah, it's part.
Speaker 7: It's the habits, it's the way your brain works, it's the way your body is set to function a lot of the times. And again it goes back to those four types of obesity. What's really driving it? Now, if you've solved the emotional leading component, great, you might stay there where you are forever. But for people with the slow burned specifically, or if you know, if you haven't gotten right issues, then you know, there's a greater chance that you'll.
Speaker 1: Go back to where you work. Okay, makes sense. It's kind of like and people say, well, lot, why don't you change your habit? You should. It's kind of I guess it's a kin to hear this in societies, Like someone goes to prison. I'm like, I'm never gonna do that again. But you go back to the environment that created that, absolutely right, same thing. So it's about changing lifestyle and that's you know again. Protein intake is one of the most important things. A lot of people talk about the weight loss and how much protein you lose. This is another cool thing or important thing to know is that you know, people say there's so much muscle loss when you're on a GLP one. The fact is is that you lose the same percentage of fat and muscle as you would if you were doing diet and exercise alone. It's just that it's such a rapid loss that patients when they're on GLP ones. If you get on a GLP one, keeping your protein intake up and straight strength training are the two of the most important things you can do so that you keep that protein on board and you don't just lose all your muscle mass. Yeah, eating and working out and growing that muscle tissue is going to you're gonna need more protein, which is good exactly, less fat, more protein. The guys who really love glps, I think are the plastics guys, because I know there's that that face thing. What's that called?
Speaker 7: Yeah, and that is just because of the rapid weight loss or our bodies aren't used to losing weight that quickly, but that's what we're seeing with that, and it does kind of settle out. But it's especially in the in the early phases.
Speaker 1: Well, more people getting on it, that's for sure, and I don't think that's a bad thing. I was like, well, it's cheating. What what exactly is cheating about it? Okay, you're you go to the story, you go to Kroger and buy your food. Are you out farming and raising your own vel? No, that's cheating then, using that stupid old logic. Yeah, it's definitely. You know, there was a stigma for me before and how I saw it. In fact, I would see patients come into the ED a lot with g I complaints so nausea, vomiting, their their stomach was a little paralyzed so it was really full, and they were having pain or even diarrhea. And I was like, these medicines are bad, you know, and and our automatic inclination is the thing black. Yeah, but their physicians too, that's even more.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and I'm seeing people patients on the back end, and I'm like, this shouldn't be happening to you. But you know that that typically would happen with the really bad side effects when doses were increased suddenly or or without a physician like really making those calls and doing it gently. So got If doses were boosted suddenly, you see a lot more of those side effects, all.
Speaker 1: Right, got it? Yeah, he's a sign. Jay shav Krimani E R Doc also a fitness food expert, and we talk about this every Thursday morning on the show. You can get him at dine Well Doc that's his handle. We'll talk next week. Thanks again, it great appreciated. Let me do a news update here in just minutes win a return. Something you need to know in the AI front. There's a new version of AI that's come out that is going to cause you a lot of concern and maybe behind that recent Verizon att shutdown we had. I'll explain next seven hundred w dow cincenati. It's allow me back on seven hundred WLW. So we're all up in AI, right, got AI? I used flawed? Maybe you chat GPT. There's other ones out there. It seems like new ones are coming online every day. There's a new evolution of this. It's called claude Bot, not clu ade. This is claude A is an you know, tiger claus c l a w D bot and it's something called an AGI AI agent. What the hell does that mean? So right now, AI, you go in and you you know, type something in and give me a answer a question for me, or take this data and make sense of it for me, or collate this, or you know, you can ask questions, do research, whatever it might be. This takes it the next step, which is actually performing tasks on computer. So it sort of writes code, it autonomously performs tasks on computers. It's like having a digital virtual assistant then can do things rather than just simply ask their question. It sounds cool, right except for this. Except for this, hackers, and you're gonna be blown away what you learn here. Chris Niheist is on the show. He's the CEO of Cincinnati based Advent cyber Security. Chris, welcome, are you.
Speaker 3: I'm doing great, Scott, thanks for having me on.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Sure.
Speaker 1: So this is I guess the next step in AI. You know, instead of answering questions and you know, do data research stuff like that. This this is the next step. It's actually doing stuff out of you could be automating tasks like what what what?
Speaker 9: Give me an example, so you know, people are using it to do things like, uh, schedule an appointment, or reply to an email or clean up clean up a file folder?
Speaker 1: All right, pretty simple? Boring self. That's like, hey, great job, it's my digital assistant, So let's put let's let's put this in the context here. Anytime you have something that's being used for good, someone will find a way to use it for bad. Uh So the the opposite side of that is what.
Speaker 9: So the opposite side of that is, you know when you when you set up these things, you give it access to your calendar, or to your email, or to Twitter, or to WhatsApp, whatever, your phone book, your files. These things run with the same access that you logged in with, which is full access. Right, you have blocks of to your things. And so these agents, you know, they they they're built to perceive, they're built to reason, they're built to have tools. But they're also built to be autonomous, which means now you just gave something complete access to all your things that now can run autonomously. And if a hacker can take over that, guess what, they now can run autonomously as you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the problem is you know, you're not an expert in code, and you're not going to see what's in there. But now it is. Oh not is only doing the work for you, but it's also taking all your information, everything in your computer, everything in the cloud that's storted into your name and using that for god knows what.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and doing anything right in some of these cases. Now with Claudbot, and it just got renamed from mold Spot literally like the last twenty four hours because Claude, which is a m under Anthropics, the company Anthropic, they didn't love the fact that it was named Claude Loot too similar, so they forced them to change their name.
Speaker 3: But this what Claudbot did was, you.
Speaker 9: Know, two weeks ago you had to program your own agents, you had to build your own agents. You had to and there are some companies out there that were offering them, but nowhere near as easy to adopt as claud Blot did. And so a claudbut did was just made it to where you can literally download it to a Macnini, or you can up you can go out to a a service called Virtual Private Service where you can buy a server for five dollars a month and you can just literally install it with a command line and all of a sudden it pops up with a prompts and you give it use your name some passwords in a way it goes This seems like.
Speaker 1: A major cybersecurity story where where you know it's the intersection of AI user experience and relying on AI to do stuff for us, but also malicious exploitation all of a sudden, this is a huge story, oh.
Speaker 9: Huge short and what's really happened in the last literally the last five days, is all of these people in their homes, at work, wherever just went.
Speaker 3: And install this.
Speaker 9: And what it does is it ends up creating this connection back into these systems, right, And so what hacker's been doing in security researches as well is just scanning the Internet and you can see where these things are and in a lot of cases almost most of them, people have just installed them at default and they have the default passwords, so you can literally access someone's system that has full access to everything they have, and you can read all their documents, all their chat history.
Speaker 3: People have uploaded and connected.
Speaker 9: To Apple accounts, so you have accessed to their entire history of pictures and documents and even worse companies. You know, people at companies are thinking, oh, man, I can have this thing to do my job. So if they've gone out installed this and connected it to their corporate email addresses, if you're an email account and MFA and so now you know, I think what we're going to see is just this last week of just really fast adoption. You're going to see the aftermath of this for quite some time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's interesting too, because you look at this, go okay, let's AI and you know, we're a little cautious and layer we're not quite sure how it works or why it works. If you're a small business person and you're using I don't know, claude bot or whatever it might be to do work for you, now you're going, oh my god, what did I just download? You have no idea. It's maybe not the big players in the world because they have expensive, exhaustive IT teams and cybersecurity teams, but if you're a small or medium sized operator, you probably don't. And this this sercial exposure there for you to your data, your information and everything else. Are we I mean, it's going to be a while before we see massive data breaks sor why are we al ready? You know, I was thinking about the yeah Verizon, the Verizon outage, and we had chatted and you know, we think, okay, well, what happened. I don't know, somebody tripped over something. It's infrastructure. It happens, is a guy behind.
Speaker 9: That You know, you know, it hasn't been released what really happened there. I think a lot of times what organizations are doing is they're trying to automate and not simprized and did this. But you do see this in a lot of organizations where they're now automating their operations. And so what happens is, you know, something triggers am AI might autonomously make a decision.
Speaker 3: Is it's not exactly predictable.
Speaker 9: I would say it's actually dramatically not predictable, and and so it makes a decision, triggers a response, and it can take things down. So you know, in some of these outages that we see, I think it's very highly possible to assume that there's some AI triggering inside of that, you know, which is same thing here. It's like, you know, you're uh, there's a good example one of the uh there.
Speaker 3: Was a gentleman that you know.
Speaker 9: Connected his claud bought up to his open table account acted just send it a text, Hey, I want a reservation for this organization for this restaurant. It reached out to open table. Open Table's website was down because it had a connection to other things he has. It actually called the restaurant, had a conversation with the restaurant, and then scheduled the reservation for him. Wow, that's where you know, that autonomous part of AI agents gets pretty scary because it's literally operating autonomously based on what it knows and what it's learned and how it's in programmed, and it may or may not actually do what you wanted to do. It could do and the outcome could be the same, but it literally could release all your information on the Internet to try to figure out how to make you an appointment, because it just wants to please you, right and get your apployment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting with you know, when now we see critical infrastructure go down, you wonder, okay, is AI behind it? Because it makes sense Chris, is that you know Claude bot as you're talking about that we're going to farm these things out. It's not just hey, you know, do some research for me on this and I'll put the I'll write the code. Now it's doing it itself. And you know, if we're the point now where you're making restaurant reservation, the person on the other end is probably also AI. And so we have these two IAI agents talking to each other like human beings. That's crazy. But now if we have big companies like Verizon eighteen, TM whatever, and like you said, we don't know, but it makes sense that they would be using the same thing to expand their infrastructure to work. And the only problem with that is AI is still imperfect. That's still in the formative stages.
Speaker 3: It is, yeah, it really is.
Speaker 9: And then you know, if you have this issue of people using technology putting on their systems giving access to all their things, hackers can take over and get access all those things. But let's just say for a second it was all secure and it was fine. Where most of these people. Most people are connecting these agents to our free versions of the language models out there.
Speaker 3: So if you connect to a free.
Speaker 9: Version of a language model, and that language model allows for you know, group learning, which means that with AI you can purchase private learning, which basically means you can upload your documents there.
Speaker 3: It won't use it to learn for you know, for the global public.
Speaker 9: Right, So if you go out and search in chat Gypt or Claude, you're not going to see answers that are related to my data. However, if you use a cheaper version of these or subscription to these. Your data is used to learn for everybody, right, which means if you upload a document with claude or claude bot or whatever, then those documents, even though they're private, they just did something for you. Now they're in the open domain and they're being learned from. And this just happened actually literally the last seventeen hours. This came out where the acting director of SISA, so Cybersecurity Infrastructure Security Agency in the United States back over the summer.
Speaker 3: It's accessing chat.
Speaker 9: GPT and uploaded some top secret documents to it that then went into the public domain and now CHATCHPT learned off of it. So you know, when you're dealing with AI, you have to be thinking about are the applications I'm using secure?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Am I connecting it to things that I that I would be okay with it being autonomous in And then third, where's my data going and what's it being usedful?
Speaker 1: Chris n I heis is here. He's the CEO of Cincinnati based Event Cybersecurity. It's called claude Bot c l a w D and it basically what it does instead of just you know, taking information you input on there or images or whatever it might be, and coming up with solutions for you. It autonomously performs tasks on computers, like you know, cleaning up files or whatever it might be.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: And now we found out that you know, that can that information can be exploited, that there's hacks involved in that too, and that information now is being used for nefarious purposes. You know, we think of things like and just as example but not true would be the Verizon shutdown where we had to go down because maybe you know, that was probably done by AI. And so we're going to see probably a lot more of those occurrences happen as companies lean in more to AI and lean into things like claude Bot, where they're not just automating research, they're having it performed functions on computers, and that jeopardizes the whole system. I wonder too, Chris. Then when it comes to scale, like governments, for example, I thought private business is one thing, Verison, but I'm sure our government is going, Hey, listen, we're trying to do more with less like everybody else, we employ some of these things. Now you have public information, we have you know, readions of data from the local FEDS and states, that could compromise things like security and our critical infrastructure even more.
Speaker 9: Right, absolutely, absolutely, And that's that's that's the crust, right, is that the way in which we governed data before was a lot more close to the chests, right, Yeah, Now that we're needing to train models with it and learn with it, even if it's a private AI platform, you have to realize is that that now that now system is learning and the access to that system is really important because if you've taught it something, it could infer or respond to someone else with less access than you information about what it learned, right, And and so governing that data. The EU just you know, the last last three weeks just released a you know that they're coming out with some significant AI governance language because it is it is moving so fast, I mean literally, I mean well, one of the biggest things is that's trending on Twitter right now is plodbox, and every day gets bigger because people are just excited, I think, to use AI to generate tasks that are mundane for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no, that makes done the right way. Yeah, that makes sense. But there's no way around this. This is part of the learning experience. This is part of the going to happen. Yeah, it has to to happen, is you know, like when the Right Brothers are fly planes that fall out of the sky all the time. Now, not so much because while the technology got better, that's nothing new.
Speaker 3: And be awesome eventually, but it's going to be a rocky ride for a little while.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and a lot of information will be exposed as well. I just wondered from a government perspective, you know how much of this information falls on the wrong hands, because I'd imagine right now, the you know, the Chinese, Iranians and Russians are salivating at us.
Speaker 3: Oh, they totally are. I mean, but but look at that story.
Speaker 9: I mean we have, you know, the acting director of FISA, right, you know, uploaded documents accidentally to JTGPT to a public instance, and so you have this major human errors. People are are starting to become used to using this and they're just putting things all over place. But yeah, I mean, our adversaries are absolutely salivating. You know, I would say we are too, because they're probably making some of those things they count In those countries they're a lot more governed, so you know, in China they govern the internet pretty heavily. Russia they do the same thing, and so because they have state control, there's a lot less disclosure that takes place, you know, here in the United States where the wild West for a lot of good reasons, right, but those those good reasons also can be taken you know, neferiously by our by our aver shares, and so we just have to make sure, you know, in our businesses and our homes, just realize that there is a thread out there. They are evil and they do want to come after you, and they do want to get your information and do do things right. But even like you said, like there's a lot of automation and we've talked about water districts before. You know, you'll have three people running a water district now because most of it's automated, you know, and across the board. So you know, they don't want to have someone overnight, so they have automated for mediation for things. And you know, we just have to be really wise as we accelerate into the AI world and the automation world that we do things in a very methodical way to make sure that you know, our entire lifestyle can be taken down overnight.
Speaker 1: Christmas Big companies out there. I mean these are the publicly traded ones or sizeable ones. I mean I could think of like P and G and Fifth Third and all sorts of companies like that that have their proprietary corporate AI infrastructure. Meaning it's it's I don't know much about that. We don't have a lot. We're working on it, but I'm not sure it's full of portion. But is that outside is it almost firewall from the rest of the AI universe that that information can't get outside of the sphere of what it's being used in.
Speaker 3: I mean in some companies, yeah, and some companies it's not.
Speaker 9: I mean they you know, it's you know, I haven't seen you know, their specific ones, the ones the companies you've spoken about. But yeah, I mean, if someone could get access to those those systems, they can learn anything about an organization really, and you know, to get access to those it's not that hard. H you know, people hacking the individual computer systems all the time. That's how ransomware gets delivered. So just to get on a system that someone has and then access that AI system, you would you it would be easy to go through those systems. Now, the thing I will say is when you look at companies that are adopting AI, uh, what we're seeing is that you know, their their realization of the return on their investment is it's hard to identify because you know, it's really more broadly uh distributed. And the thing we always tell people, companies, individuals, et cetera, is when you start working AI, really start with one problem, like what's the problem you're trying to solve? What does that efficiency look like to you? And doesn't make sense to do that right? And then once you do that, you can start to identify. As you roll A out in your organization, you know how it actually is benefiting you organizationally, and if you don't do it that way, it's you really can't track it. And and in fact, if you roll it out too broad, well, now you have more people that are not you know, I would say not necessarily the strategic leaders of an organization teaching the AI about the organization, and then that comes back and help has everyone go in that direction, right, right?
Speaker 3: That is to be careful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and as it grows there's going to be pitfalls and dangers. Doesn't mean you know, we should say, yeah, we got to stop a because there's people out there that say that, but we're not going to at this point. But yeah, no, no, no where to use it for sure. You should. Yeah, be careful though. Now we've got claud bought. You got to worry about that. And you know actors are going to get inside that too as well. Really eye opening stuff. Chris, thanks again for the time. I appreciate Chris, and I heis CEE over at the Advent Cybersecurity here in Cincinnati. Be well, have a great one. A news update momentarily here on the big one seven hundred W l W, and then my wife pops in a little real estate and cold stuff just ahead here seven hundred W.
Speaker 8: Take a look at your watch. It's Real Estate Time with Michelle Sloane EMAX, time agent extraordinaire from Sloan Sellshomes dot com. Now pay attention, then take notes. There might be a pop quiz at the end on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: Good morning, How are you dear?
Speaker 10: Hey, good morning, it's almost good afternoon.
Speaker 1: Nothing gets past you. Matt Locke, I know, right, sharp as a cue ball. Anyway, Um, yeah, you know, I was thinking driving in this morning and it was minus six or nine or what got whatever it were there is and it's just cold, right is I am? I am loth to see how much the electric bill is the Duke energy bills. Everyone's probably gonna curse Duke in a couple of weeks when that bill comes out. You let cringe out to look at it.
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, middle middle of Ebuary.
Speaker 1: Couple. It was ugly last time, and a cold snap wasn't this long?
Speaker 11: That's true.
Speaker 10: Yeah, this one is going to be even uglier. So for the folks who yeah, I had a stroke when they opened their Duke bill in January from our Friday for December freeze. Yeah, it's gonna it's going to be worse, definitely.
Speaker 1: We covered this last week.
Speaker 10: That may lead a lot of people to think about selling their house because they want to get out.
Speaker 2: From under that.
Speaker 1: Well, you're still gonna have to pay for utilities, doesn't really Where were you going to move to a place where you don't use utilities? I don't know where where that would you know you did that?
Speaker 10: Or this is here? Here's here's the thread, right right, they're going to think about modeling and getting some energy efficiency going in the house.
Speaker 11: How about that?
Speaker 1: How about that? There you go? Yeah, yeah, the USA insulation guys, et cetera. Are probably killing or right now. I was like, okay, I got to do something here because this is just absurd. And you know, I don't blame you, and you can make that house pretty tight these days new windows. Insulation depends how much money you want to spend to make your house energy tight, for sure, and a lot of people you're spending so much sim inside you're probably looking around going okay, this is tired. I need to do this that and the other thing. You know, people who are doing kitchen remodels and bathroom models and everything else right now, and simply because they're you're staying in place. I know, you know, I got extra time now because you're not doing anything outside doing work in our newer place, new house, and you know, just you know, getting stuff together. And it's amazing too. I don't know how many people, like the people who live there before us. I keep finding stuff of theirs, like socks, and I was checking the sum pump to make sure that you know, once all the stuff melts, that the battery and it is okay, because we've got to finish basement. And you know, I think I found a fur bone in the some pomp. I'm not sure if the people before sir Axe murders, I have no idea. I think it was a human fever. I think it was. I don't know. I gave it to that. I gave it to the dog. He's the dog's happy. Run my blue. I don't need my human bone. I an't na my foot.
Speaker 11: He was a little gang. Yeah, I don't know what that was all about.
Speaker 1: No, No, it's a don't know it's a person. That doesn't matter. It's a Bone's a bone to a dog, not a person.
Speaker 11: I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 1: Wait, you had bones and your some pump. Oh stop, we're going to have to disclose that. No, no, yeah, right, that's the whole thing. It's a crime to say.
Speaker 11: Now.
Speaker 1: Now people are like, where are you? Yeah, yeah, I found it. Yeah, that's that's right. A lot of femurs something else. Yeah, all right, let's talk. We are talking about remodeling. Is that kind of the lead in?
Speaker 10: Yeah, we're talking about reminding. Actually, you know, over fifty percent of people dread this topic of remodeling, not only because of the financial aspect, but I just don't know what to do because there's so many things because once you start one project, it sort of leads to the next, into the next and to the next. And we've had this our whole lives where you know, we start with the living room and slowly we're doing the flooring. It's like, well, we're going to do the flooring here, we should do the flooring on the whole first floor, and then you know, it just goes on and on and on, and that's kind of part of it and making a decision on what you want to do, what's going to be the best investment or return on that investment?
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 10: The first thing is, and this has been for the twenty years I've been in the business, and I always find it somewhat fascinating, but a new steel front door will get you one hundred percent back on that investment. So a new front door, so that talks to a little bit.
Speaker 11: The curve appeal, right yep.
Speaker 10: But also energy efficiency, yeah, no question, that's definitely going to be part of that.
Speaker 1: Why steel does it? Do you get less if it's fiberglass?
Speaker 10: Well, I don't know, it's new steel front door.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying the steel or fiberglass is pretty good. I don't know. People some people are like, oh I love wood. What is that's work? You gotta you gotta put saying on it every couple of years and it's a whole you know, I mean if sun's hitting it directly most houses are then you know, if you got a little covered area and maybe the sun doesn't hit it, sure, but man, that's if it takes. Man, they're beautiful, but it takes some work.
Speaker 10: But it does, and we do tend to have depending on which way you're house facing. If you have a wood door, it'll it'll deteriorate pretty quickly, even if you spent thousands of dollars on it. The most popular this is this is just a little quick add on. People say what color should I paint my front door? The most popular front door colors are black, which you know, honestly is like lava because it can so hot, right, red, white, blue and it.
Speaker 1: Eleven Sure what about pink?
Speaker 11: No, it's not on my.
Speaker 10: List, although red and burgundy will always turn to pink. And that looks like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I've seen shutters that are pink.
Speaker 11: You know, I hate that.
Speaker 1: Terracotta anymore, but more like a pink. Yeah, you're like a flamingo pink right right, really was all right? What else?
Speaker 10: Another one of the remodeling projects, and this is something you can do this time of year, is a closet renovation. So even just removing everything from your closet and you know, taking down all the shelves, giving it a really good pay job, and then putting something up that makes more sense. There's a lot of different closet organization type products at the big box stores and everywhere that I think you would even say, are not that difficult to put together and put up?
Speaker 11: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, I mean, I'll be honestly, there's a lot of after market products that you can buy. I'll be on I think not to plug them or anything, but minards. You can get really good closet systems there that you put together. It's really easy. You don't have to have big carpenter skills to do that. You do to hang them and everything, but the quality the building is quite good. If you're looking for that custom built in type of thing without the price in your handy, you definitely could pull that one off. Or you know, I mean if you just sailed closet rod. The wire shelf systems are pretty good too. You can get those in any big box retailer. And you know, it depends how much money want. It depends not like what your budget is and how much space you have. But those things have come a long way as well.
Speaker 11: Well.
Speaker 10: And if we're you know, we just did this because we just recently moved. But even just going through your closet and getting rid of donating whatever, I mean, there's so much that we cram into our closet that we don't use or don't need, or that you know, I've the number of items that I found in the back of my closet just waiting for me to lose that extra ten pounds.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, right, right.
Speaker 10: At this point, it gave it up. They're all gone, ol Bro, no choice now, Yeah, yeah, I hear about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, exactly.
Speaker 10: Just buy something that's fine, it's fine. Oh I did find Oh here it is. Here's your fiberglass fiberglass front door. I just found it on my list and you probably already saw it because I gave you my list in advance. The steels or is one hundred percent return on investment. The fiberglass door is only eighty percent.
Speaker 11: That's still pretty good.
Speaker 1: Why would that be? I don't know I don't make the list.
Speaker 10: This is from the National Association of remark.
Speaker 1: Okay, I got you, I got you. Remind whatever. Fiberglass front door Okay.
Speaker 10: Still still one thing that most people don't understand when I go to visit them and they and I asked for it every time, is give me a list of all of the things that you've done in your home over the last ten years.
Speaker 11: Put a price on it.
Speaker 10: How much would you pay for your new countershop, how much do you say for the new flooring, the door, whatever? And they give me that whole list, and they're like, well, we'll get all that money back, right like you'll You'll get a percentage of it back, but not all of it. So that's again, that's where that anxiety comes in, because you know, I'm gonna spend twenty thousand dollars on new flooring. Maybe if you're gonna do hardwood or something right that is really high end. A high end floor will last a really long time, so it will outlast.
Speaker 2: You for sure.
Speaker 10: Now, if you already have hardwood floors and you get them refinished again, that's you're gonna get those. If you buy a home with hardwood floors, real hardwood floors, and they're not in the best shape. I would say buy that house and don't worry about it, because you know, if you have kids, if you have dogs, whatever, it's gonna get beat up even more. And at some point you can have them refinished. They're gonna look brand new.
Speaker 1: And cut a.
Speaker 10: You didn't spend nearly as much money as you did putting in brand new hardwood floors.
Speaker 1: No, that makes sense. Yeah yeah, and you get nice hardwood floors, you know, you want to preserve them. We have lovely the books before so had the houses. Floors are gorgeous in there, so yeah murder yeah yeah right, well, I mean again, great taste and wonderful. You know, quality is of the flooring is great. I mean, so you got to look the other way. If you find us skull somewhere, it's no big deal. Uh. My wife Michelle Sloan here on the show talking about remodeling projects to give you the most resale bang for the buck. Front doors obviously, what about windows?
Speaker 10: Windows are great, Yes, vinyl windows. You're going to get actually a little bit more return on your investment on vinyl windows as opposed to wood. Same kind of thing as we talked about on the front door. Wood takes the maintenance. And you know, there are some new products that have wood on the inside and vinyl on the outside, so it's less maintenance because it's in the outside and in the weather and all that. And so those that product I think is.
Speaker 11: If you can afford it, that would be the way to go.
Speaker 1: But you know that's been around for a while. That technology has been around for a long time a while, a couple of decades. But yeah, if you want that, you know, the wood inside kind of look which doesn't take much maintenance all or no maintenance at all. Yeah, but you know, I've seen some of the fiberglass products now again back to fiberglass, you know they look great, so.
Speaker 10: Absolutely, and talk about energy efficiency. I know in our old house when we replaced the windows, there was a dramatic difference of the energy bills before and after. So everything has a life, a shelf life. And so if you have windows that are thirty years old, you know they're getting to the point where maybe you have broken seals, maybe you haven't been really good about talking around them, and yeah, making sure that they're air tight, and so looking at that as an investment in your home and the value of your home. It's not real sexy. See, that's the thing everybody talks about. Oh, I've got a new kitchen and I sent blah blah blah, and the kitchen isn't an amazing or the bathroom. Everybody focuses on kitchens and bathrooms. And I'm not saying that that's not important, because it is. But if you do windows and a new HVAC system, you know, you get your heating and cooling system brand new, those things that goes a long way. It's not sexy, but it's really important for the value.
Speaker 3: Of your home.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, we're kitchens. Nobody think, oh a kitchen. I get my money back at a kitchen. Get your money back on a kitchen.
Speaker 10: You know, kitchens are very personal, so you're likely to get about sixty percent back on that investment. And what I'm saying is, you know, understand that if you want white cabinets, not everybody wants white cabinets. If you have dark cherrywood cabinets, some people may.
Speaker 11: Not like that.
Speaker 10: So there are options, and but it is very personal. Someone may pick a countertop. Maybe when concrete countertops were you know, kind of being a cool retro what it would be urban kind of thing. But if I walked in and saw a countertop that was made out of concrete, I'd be like, not my style. So you do have to be careful and you have to be conscious of the fact that, yes, you're going to be spending money on something that makes you happy, but at the same time, will it make the next.
Speaker 11: Fire happy as well?
Speaker 10: And that's where that you know, everybody feels that a little bit of pain. And Okay, it's so hard to make a decision, but I will say making a decision over no decision is the better choice. Meaning if you're going to put it, let's say you just have laminate countertaps and they have burn holes in them and there it's bad and they're peeling and all of this stuff.
Speaker 3: Yes, make a decision.
Speaker 10: Find a granted which is the most desirable still at this point, it's it's more affordable than it ever has been, and that you can get something that's just neutral, that's gonna that someone is going to enjoy for many, many, many many years to come and you'll probably never replace it. So, you know, definitely kitchens and you can you can pick and choose what you do in a kitchen. So depending on how big the kitchen, how much your house is worth. Again, there's a lot of questions.
Speaker 11: That I will always ask, is, or at.
Speaker 10: Least try to find the answers for you. Is you know, you don't want to put a fifty thousand dollars kitchen in a house that's worth two hundred thousand dollars. The math doesn't math, so you don't want to over improve your your kitchen, or if.
Speaker 1: It's a really nice house, to go cheap on it. Either the end verse is true too.
Speaker 10: Correct well, and I've seen some really really high end homes where you know, they got to the lower level and they're like, oh my gosh, I'm tired of spending money, so I'm just gonna put laminate counters on the bar. And it's just like such a letdown because the rest of the house is amazing, and then they cheaped out it so long.
Speaker 1: I'll be honestly, yeah, I'm gonna call it, you know, man, I'm gonna call stuff out. Uh, last year a year before homer Rama, You're you're talking like million dollar plus homes and they've got lamine in the basement. What what Yeah, a couple of million dollars a house and you're throwing I mean, come on man.
Speaker 11: Oh yeah, I mean to me, that was like.
Speaker 10: It was it's a slap in the base.
Speaker 1: It was just well, I you know, doing what I do in our business too, I look at it, go okay, well, if you're cutting corners of lamin it, what's behind the walls? I would run from that. I mean just you're you're talking about a you know, when you're talking to scale the size of a house like this, it's you know, sure eight thousand square feet and multiple bedrooms and you're going, wow, the lambin at the basement? Come on, you know, you know, a regular house to like you said, two three hundred thousand dollars house, no problem. But you're in the upwards of a million, more than a million, that's a that's a problem right there. My wife Michelle Sloane Sloane sells homes dot com open house show. That would be the iHeartRadio app and of course a YouTube channel as well. Over at Remax time in Mainville. All right, I'll be home regular time today, get some stuff done inside the house. Maybe I'll you know what I wonder if there's still a reward. What if I found in addition to the femur and the skull, what if I found Jimmy Hoffer. Is there still a reward for this?
Speaker 11: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe it is Jimmy and Mauffa's tumor. We'll find out together when I get home. Love you see it later. I got news and then Willie is on the way. Next on the Home of the Red seven hundred WW since now