Speaker 1: How's the stream stream commencing broadcasting on AM five to seventy l A Sports and streaming on the iHeartRadio While Friends.
Speaker 2: The longest running afternoon sports show in the city.
Speaker 3: No congratulations necessary.
Speaker 2: All traces of Fred Rogan have been removed.
Speaker 1: This is petros in Money, Thank You, Thank You, hosted by Petros Papada Gas terrible person, He's the worst, and Matt money Smith.
Speaker 3: The pipes, the pipes, the pipe. Don't miss an episode.
Speaker 2: We're with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, follow the petros In Money Show wherever you get your podcasts now Here's Petros Papada Gus and Matt money Smith and Color One condition you adounce with us everything you see.
Speaker 3: Your father, then you see me, You'll feel Mick. Yes, here is.
Speaker 2: What Yeah, betro some money Hey in five seventy LA Sports Live Everywhere on the iHeartRadio FO show. Today, one more hour to Go, Tim Kates with David Veasse and Route to Camelback Ranch Spring Training Underway show Hal Tani some clips from the Dodgers' feet pitching off of a mound earlier today, but Tim Kates will have off season Slash Spring Training Dodger Talk coming up in an hour, so be sure to check into that and remember mark your calendar is a week from Saturday will be our first day and five to seventy LA Sports broadcast of eight Dodger Spring training game. So baseball is back and we.
Speaker 3: Will be back on Monday, even though it is a holiday. There will be four hours of the Petros and Money Show. So do not worry, do not fret, and brought to you by our friends at Concordia University, Irvine, Masters in Coaching and Athletics Administration Program is the final hour fun fact. It's fun effect, It's the yeah we're three facts, fun facts indeedp it is a fact.
Speaker 2: Classes in the program are taught by many of the top sports leaders in California, like the state director of the cif A lot of Hall of fame high school and college coaches and administrators. Be mentored by the best. Find out more and sign up now because the next term begins on Monday, February sixteenth. All the information is at CUI dot edu slash coaching. Many of us are watching the Olympics while we're at home, while we're doing the show, all of that sort of stuff. Did you know, Well, you certainly know, but maybe not the particulars. The Olympics were started in seven seventy six BC by the Greeks. Of course, the games would cover six months. Some of the events discus chariot racing, wrestling, but the Olympics were banned.
Speaker 3: The modern day word for it is wrestling. They called it puzzo greasing.
Speaker 2: The Olympics were banned in three ninety six a d by the Romans. They considered athletic competition a pagan ritual in direct conflict with Christianity. So the Olympic Games went on hiatus for fifteen hundred years until the modern Olympics. The gan in Athens in eighteen ninety six. A lot of puzzo grease and matt you know, a couple of pre stop each other time without the putso grease. In Pe, that's not okay.
Speaker 3: We occupied by the Turks. You know, a lot of stuff going on around there. All right. It is time for quick hits. Everybody pms quickeits.
Speaker 2: I'll make it quick, y'all.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Dodger pictures and catchers. A fishery report to fishery report to camelback ranch. Who's back?
Speaker 2: Camel bag? David Vassay's back. That's who not yet.
Speaker 3: A lot of the players are there, not vass A shut Oh, Tony Edwin Diaz both threw off the mound today. As Matt was just intimating during our intro, here's a little bit of manager Dave Roberts with the media first day good.
Speaker 4: I think that just kind of obviously getting the pictures catchers here. A majority of the position players are here already. Guys are anxious, you know. I think for me it's we got a long camp, longer than we've had in the recent years. So to try to get guys to start slow but intentional, methodical is kind of the message. But yeah, it'll be good to get guys on the field.
Speaker 5: We were talking yesterday about all the pictures in their different phases of ramp up and so on. Is that the number one job that spring to figure out where everybody is and who's available?
Speaker 3: It is?
Speaker 6: It is.
Speaker 4: I think a lot of the veteran I sort of know where they're at, what it's going to take to get him ready. Younger guys, I think certain some of the guys that are coming off injury, guys that had a bigger workload last year and just trying to bucket those guys together individually, but I think the main thing is just kind of ramp up methodically and really not try to start have a certain target date. And everyone's on a different program. But yeah, as long as they're kind of improving, which I feel right now, we got a healthy group right now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm amoto going to face hitters today. Are you at all nervous about his workload last year and then pitching in the WBC.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't say, I think that incredibly that. I just believe that he knows his limitations and he's prepared, so I'm not too concerned about it.
Speaker 2: Kay, how many how many games are I know our first one is a week from Saturday that is their first spring training game against the Angels. But how many are we gonna play here over these twenty five or so?
Speaker 3: As last year?
Speaker 2: I think we got fifteen plus the Freeway Series fifteen plus the Freeway so pretty much we're looking at a lot of nooners on the weekdays moving forward of spring training baseball from any well, I'm just you know, I I was like, well, is the twenty first the first one? Or is that just the first? And then when I looked I was like, man, look at this.
Speaker 3: I remember that time change hits Rogan and Rodney and they just really take take it off.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, you got twenty Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, all nooners right Thursday Friday. I mean, I can just see the people driving around town feeling so good about the back to back World Series champion Dodgers playing spring training ball at noon. Rating into the Petros Money Show, bloated. I would assume they would very exciting moving forward.
Speaker 3: Sadly Alex Vessi, but great to have him back, spoke publicly today for the first time since losing a newborn daughter during last year's World Series. Reading from an emotionally charged statement for a little more than six minutes in it, Vesia thanked the Dodgers for their support and revealed he and his wife have thought have sought therapy to help them with the grieving process. He implored others who have navigated a similar tragedy to do the same. Alex VESSI a great guy, and let's hope that the baseball season can be an outlet for him and his wife and their family. And it's nice to see him back in spring training as I'm sure Dave will be talking about in the days to come, and Tim Kates with more on that on Dodger Talk at seven o'clock. The Clippers basically matt ended Chris Paul's career, which is up in the middle of the night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know that's that's probably the right way. Didn't seem like he was really up for it anymore. It was released by the Raptors. After being picked up. You mentioned, the Clippers sent them home, waived him. The Raptors traded for him at the trade deadline so the Clippers could make some financial movement in order to acquire the talent they did and send out the contracts they did. It was more transactional than the Raptors wanted Chris Paul, so he announced his retirement. He wasn't going to report to Toronto twenty one seasons. He is forty. He is a twelve time All Star and eleven time All NBA player, nine time All Defensive, nine times All Defensive Team member. He was the Rookie of the Year. He won two Gold medals. He was a member of the NBA seventy fifth Anniversary Team. Career numbers second all time in assists, behind only John Stockton in both assists and steals. Of course, Paul moving from the Hornets to the Clippers, to the Suns to the Thunder to the Rockets, all of his trava as traveling through the NBA unfortunately failed to produce one. He did make the NBA Finals the one year with the Suns, but sadly, uh the no doubt about it, first ballot Hall of Famer ends his career without an NBA championship.
Speaker 3: Even Gary Payton picked one up at the Miami Heat All Star Weekend this Sunday, and the new format is USA versus the Internacial Now. Kevin Durant was asked about the intensity of the guys on TV USA and if they will play hard.
Speaker 7: You should ask the Europeans, if the world team, if they gonna compete. I mean, because we look at Luka, Doncis and Nicolea Jokis. Now let's go back and look at what they do at the All Star Game. Is that competition?
Speaker 3: So we haven't.
Speaker 7: Questioned what they've been doing, but we're gonna question old his in the Americans. But these two dudes out there, Luca and Jokis, they don't care about the game. Man, Oh, these dudes be laying on the floor. They shoot from half court. But you got worried about the old heads playing hard? They say it was the worst All Star game that people watch. You know, so we all see you know what I'm saying, and who knows what's gonna happen. This format might change the game, but who knows.
Speaker 2: We'll see m seems like you can you just ask both of you guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they show up too.
Speaker 2: You're gonna it's gonna play hard. He cares a big deal that, you know, world.
Speaker 3: Versus Why don't you ask the black guys? Right, I'll tell you who I can't say that. The European guys can't say that.
Speaker 2: Well, I think, you know, trying to think of what you know, Giannis might take offense to that. Y. I'm international and I'm black. You can ask me and knock out both questions. Check me out.
Speaker 3: My name is big Head and I'm black.
Speaker 2: What Sega is like?
Speaker 3: What about me?
Speaker 2: I'm from Canada?
Speaker 3: Yeah, why don't you ask the international guys?
Speaker 2: My name's Ted Gage and I'm white.
Speaker 3: Why don't you ask some of these freaking, weird, freaking euro freaks. They're gonna play. UCLA is in at Arbor tomorrow morning to take on Michigan. Former brewin a Die Mara is on the Michigan team. Although he's evil now with a goatee and a fuller face. He played two years for mc cronin. Here's Mick on if he has any emotions going into this game facing goateed and evil ade Mara.
Speaker 8: Another game, buddy, It's Life in the Portal. If you were to, like when you asked me about stuff like that, I'll give you an honest answer. The only game that would bring about any emotion for me, It'd be really hard for me. He's if I had to coach against Cincinnati.
Speaker 3: Life in the.
Speaker 8: Portal, Man, Yeah, you know, well, I'll tell you what you want to bring it like emotion of former players. I love Will mcclindon. He's got off to a great start at North Texas in his last year and towards ACL again. I don't know if you guys know that I'm talking about early at Oregon State. I actually was sitting at home late night watching Will. He's playing great last play. The gaming tours say the same via you know, but he'll get another year of give more than I am. But I actually talked to him a few days after that because you know, I just check it on him. He's just the greatest guy ever. But no, just I'm worried about Michigan, my friend.
Speaker 3: All right, thanks? Now wait he played. That's when we'll get the handkerchance and get ready for something about knots.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be on the toilet for an hour.
Speaker 3: Before to pump it up.
Speaker 2: To pump it up, Matt, What did happen with the Yeah, we discussed it a little bit earlier. The NFL PA, one of our favorite days of the year, will no longer be able to share the Union report card, uh, the anonymous player rankings and grades for each NFL franchise that would talk about the food and the prices.
Speaker 3: To wait for it every year, Matt. I wait for it every year like the newspaper with my picture on it, you know, when I was in high school, waiting.
Speaker 2: For it to show up, not going to get it. NFL filed the grievance, took it to arbitration.
Speaker 3: Hey, the NFL that's made up of the owners that are being criticized, killed the bill that criticized them.
Speaker 2: Turns out they did okay. The grievance against the NFLPA was filed in August. The grievance stemmed from the CBA Article fifty one, Section six, and they went, it's right there. Read it right there. It says that the NFLPA and League Management Council need to use reasonable efforts to curtail public comments by club personnel or players which express criticism of any club. Despite the NFL filing the grievance, the NFLPA continued to survey players for twenty twenty five in November. Since twenty twenty three, the report cards have ranked teams from best to worst on criteria like state of the workout facilities, how they treat their families, how good is the on site food, what's the locker room look like? A do you what do you think? Give of your owner? How's the team travel? Seventeen one hundred players participated in the twenty twenty five nflp A report card survey, and they will no longer be able to share their fine deans publicly. As we mentioned, one of our favorite ones, the New England Patriots team plane does not have Wi Fi, but the armrests each still have ash trace so they got that going pay.
Speaker 3: Anohy' wrong with that? Spending our money in other places?
Speaker 6: That's right.
Speaker 3: Massage come if you got them. Massage. It's important. It's important for athletes. I we'll be back with Don McClain and some basketball love and information live from Oregon. And by live, I mean it.
Speaker 1: Petros Papadakis, that money sn This is Petro send money on demand.
Speaker 2: Petro sayd Money Am five to seventy LA Sports Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app, no play by play on All Star Break. And our first spring training game from the Dodgers will be a week from tomorrow. So a lot of great sports talk to carry you through the weekend here on your home of the back to back World Series champion Los Angeles Dodgers, and.
Speaker 3: Joining us right now on your Southern California Toyota Dealers Celebrity Hotline. A man who always tells the truth. A man who's spent a good amount of time in the Northwest this year, sometime extending his stay, moving through the fog and the cold, shipping on full bonny beers and wines. He is leading scorer in the history of the Pac twelve. He should be afforded that Luxury and UCLA here to discuss the NBA. A guy that never stayed in the game unnecessarily to get a triple double. The Baron of Box Canyon and the one and only Don McLean from FS one Big Ten Network CIA and are correspondent right here in Great Sports Talk. He's on your Southern California. Tell you to you a celebrity hotline. Hello, Don, how are you?
Speaker 6: You got it right? Pete? Greetings from the Sweet Cheeks Winery in the South Willammett Valley.
Speaker 3: How's that? How's that juice in the wilamb at these days? Don? How's it going out there?
Speaker 6: Well, I haven't got it started yet. I'm waiting till I finished with you guys, and then I will be in there and I'll let you know how it goes. But the Sweet Cheeks Winery, South Willamett Valley, I.
Speaker 3: Heard that they a lot of the glasses that they serve there are with a wine there and have holes in them, So you want to look out for that.
Speaker 6: Ironically, ironically, getting off the elevator to get into our uber to come here, there's a guy in his son in the elevator and he literally said I love you on Petros and money.
Speaker 3: Wow, sweet cheeks forever, we got the sweetest cheeks in the city. Uh. Now, Donna, Ucla and Michigan going at it tomorrow morning early evil goateed a Die Mara on a top five Michigan team and are scrappy Bruins gonna gonna clash? What do you think's gonna happen? And that Michigan looks like a pretty good team, a big dan, pretty good conference in I.
Speaker 6: Think Michigan's best team in the country. I think I've told you guys that I think that'll play out. That doesn't mean they're gonna win a national championship, but just you look at their roster and just how many different ways they can play big, small, athletic, non athletic long I just wonder though, and I thought about that, like, what where's Mara's head head at going into that game? Is he mad at Ucla? Is he mad at Mick Cronin? Is there nothing there is? Ucla like gonna play more motivated because Mara went to Michigan. I think it'll be interesting to see how that plays out tomorrow morning.
Speaker 2: That no doubt a big one win there and almost feel like they punch their ticket into the tournament, but probably like the next two that I would guess don they do. They have to split between Michigan State and East Lansing and Illinois at home, Like these are their three big ones back to back to back where they can really do some damage to their resume to punch their ticket to the tournament.
Speaker 6: I would say, Matt, I always look at it the other way, cause I think UCLA is in right now, and I think most people have them in. It's like, you can't go zero to three because now the conversation starts. What does it do to your metrics? And so I think if they could win at least one of these next three, they're for sure in. I don't think anyone's going to talk about it anymore. The interesting part will be if they only win one, which is the one, because all three are tough. I mean Illinois's at home, but even still, Illinois is really really talented, really good. So I think that's the job for UCLA is look, and I know they don't think this way. Everybody wants to win every game, but they have to win at least one of these next three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I sorry to jump in there, don But then you know, the thing becomes the tournament, right, I mean the Big Ten Tournament. Every team makes it. It starts on Tuesday, it runs through freaking Saturday. Is is that you know? Because you hear about football and it's like, oh, the conference championship hurts more than it helps. Does the Big Ten Tournament hurt more than it helps? Or does it help more than it hurts? Because you got a lot of really good teams that you're probably capable of running into as early as the second round.
Speaker 6: Well, I think if you're talking about the top level teams matt like Michigan, Illinois, Nebraska, those teams that are fighting for one to two and three seeds, yeah, that can only hurt them the conference tournament. But if you're talking about teams like SC UCLA, you know, Ohio State, Wisconsin, those teams, they can help themselves. If you knock off one of those top teams, it can really improve your net in your in your resume. To me, for UCLA, the goal from from here on out in the regular season is get into the top eight. So now you get a double by you only I have to win four games to win the whole thing. Instead of five or six if you play on Tuesday. So I think if UCLA can can win one of these next three, secure a top eight seed in the Big ten tournament. Now you've got a chance to help yourself in that tournament.
Speaker 3: What's the weather like in the alamt this fine day, Don.
Speaker 6: It was beautiful yesterday sun was out sixty Today sun not out but about low fifties. But this view I'm standing out here that you have, like this deck out here, it's a view of this huge valley. I'm gonna send you guys a picture. It's awesome.
Speaker 3: Oh, we'd love to see it now, Don. A couple of years ago in the All Star Game, they had that light up floor with all kinds of stuff on it, and they're gonna do it now for the Big twelve Tournament. They're going to have a big light up floor and there's gonna be all kinds of stuff on it. I mean, I remember when Oregon painted their floor and it was a big, weird controversy and now it's kind of been amended a little bit. But I mean, you're a badsketball player and you train high level basketball guys, does it distract people running around on that stuff. Is that a problem or is it all good?
Speaker 6: Well, I would say this, so so the Matt Knight court was different, and so there's a lot of conversation about it. But if if nothing's moving, it doesn't matter. But this is just me as a former as a player, a former player. If I was playing on that court, I would fake an injury and leave the game.
Speaker 3: Like that though.
Speaker 6: It would have really really bothered me. It would have like all that distraction moving around, you're trying to concentrate make shots. It's it's really a dumb idea, it really is. And I'm not sure what, like what they're getting out of it. Like the fans at home are like, wow, the court's blinking, like they don't care. They want to watch a good game. And so I don't. I don't like that stuff. And I think everyone's different. Some guys maybe it doesn't bother, but that would that would have really really distracted me.
Speaker 2: Lenardi, who doesn't know nearly as much as you do about college basketball, but he's out a wonderful platform, just posted his bracketology. Don tell me agree, disagree? Sounds about right. His one seeds are Michigan, Arizona, Yukon and Duke. He's got UCLA as one of the last four buys as a ten seed against NC State, and USC sits in the last four in with San Diego State, Missouri and Texas.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that sc loss the other night, had heard him. I mean, you know, look, Ohio State might get in, but they probably needed to win that game there at the point where they need to win the because they're I think their nets like fifty or forty nine something like that, and that's not really a lot to get in the tournament with a net that high, So they got some more to do. So all that sounds about right to me what you just said. But I think USC really they have the talent. We don't know about Baker Mazar what his status is, but they have Illinois on Wednesday, so they have a huge opportunity to help themselves.
Speaker 3: Live from the Cheeks Winery in the Willamette Valley, it is Don McClane joining us on the Petros and money showing he's about to get up in their cheeks once this interview. So Todd the Clippers, I mean, it's kind of weird. They traded their whole team off and Kawhi's out there leading them and they still have the ability to beat people, and they're gonna probably get above five hundred after the All Star break, at least that's what we think here on the Petros and Money Show, Matt and I and our collective mind has proclaimed that. So does it surprise you that they just keep seeming to to sort of overcome all this despite ending Chris Paul's career.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean it is surprising, but I think it's surprising only because of the start they had and how bad they were. And who knows, if they didn't have that horrible start, would they have done the moves they did at the dead line. We don't know that. But to me, and I'm not saying this for any other reason, then I've been around it for a long time. If they continue to win, and let's say they stay in the play in and even if they win a plane and they get into the real playoffs, you're still in the middle. You're not contending. And so I think that's what they're setting up for by getting rid of hard and getting rid of some of these salaries as they are setting up rebuild. And that means that Clipper fans probably aren't going to see the playoffs for a number of years, but that's what you have to do. It's watching this league for as long as we all have. The worst thing you can do is keep trying to add pieces. But yet you're still the seven six five seed every year and you're nowhere near winning a championship. Because that's the goal, is winning the whole thing, and so if you've got to strip it down and start over, that's what you got to do. And it seems to me that's what the Clippers are likely going to do.
Speaker 2: I apologize, Don, I am easily distracted, So when I heard something as compelling as a one called sweet Cheeks, I had to do a bit of a dive here. And while they have a glorious sounding ninety one point twenty twenty one Sarah with notes of toasted cedar, white pepper and vanilla, you mentioned it's in the sixties out there, and might I recommend the twenty twenty four rosy Cheeks the perfect wine when you need a burst of sunshine, harmonious flavors of melon and berries. That to me, screams Don McLain, a rose.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I haven't looked at the b I haven't looked at the menu. Yet I do know that they don't have a cab, so that's a problem. But what they do have is some beer selection, so I may go that route.
Speaker 2: Okay, you know, the rose is there.
Speaker 6: Let the let the wife hit the wines, all hit the beers and everyone's happy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the rose could be for brook Don. What about the Lakers in their situation here at the All Star break. I know Lebron really wanted that triple double, that's dope.
Speaker 6: Yeah he did. Yeah, he wanted that triple double. And you know what, and I've said this forever on your He's earned the right to do kind of whatever he wants in the league, and if he wants a triple double at this stage of his career, let him have it. The good news is they want. I hate it when guys go for things like that when they're losing the game, so at least they were winning the game. Go for it, get your triple double. You've earned it.
Speaker 2: When you were you know, when we were younger, it was Dominique Wilkins versus Michael Jordan, even the contest even before Jordan, when it was like Stansbury versus Chambers, like the dunk contest was fun. I mean, doctor Jay was in the Dunk Contest? Were you as a high level basketball player? Don did you get into the three point Shootout and the Dunk Contest back in the day, And how do you feel about what it's become.
Speaker 6: I think the three point shooting things still legitimate. I don't know why. You know, injuries are such a big topic and guys don't want to exert themselves, so I know that's why the Dunk Contest has become what it's become. But I think the three point Shooting Contest is still watching. I think most of the guys that should be in it are in it, so that's compelling. But All Star weekend has just become These guys make so much money that they don't really want to do anything more than have time off during the All Star break, and so they can they can keep trying every different format, every different scenario they want. But until you incentivize guys to actually play, I don't think people are going to be that interested.
Speaker 3: Most of the will Lammette Valley wineries feature a pinot as there as their big red Dawn. That's a rough ticket for cab lovers out there, but hopefully.
Speaker 6: By the way not to cut you off. I'm sorry, Matt, you were bringing up those names.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 6: One of the coolest things I've run into in a while, because I just started staying there the Graduate in Eugene. They have all the old Nike posters on a wall in their restaurant. The Iceman poster, Oh Wow, boardroom, Doctor duncan Stein poster, Chocolate Thunder. It was the cool cause I had all those posters when I was a kid, and they have them all on this huge wall in their in their like restaurant bar area in the hotel. It's the coolest thing I've seen in forever.
Speaker 3: Hey, hey, waiter, waiter, Yes, sir, I really like these posters. Very good, sir.
Speaker 2: Do they have the Jordan Wings poster with the.
Speaker 6: Matt They have every single one of them. They have. They have even the other.
Speaker 3: Sports Bo Jackson on a cycle.
Speaker 6: Yeh, bo Jackson they have. They have them all. They have John McEnroe's posters. They have everyone on there.
Speaker 2: That's super cool.
Speaker 3: It still doesn't beat the Valley river and down even if it burned down. Okay, you can't suck.
Speaker 6: Up, Oh Valley rivers back up and running.
Speaker 3: Well, why aren't you over there, because I don't know too far there, too far over there. It's literally two hundred yards all right now, One and only Dodd McClay, ladies, and he's at the Sweet Chicks, and he's about to get in there cheeks. And we'll see where he is later in the week up in the Northwest. But God bless him, and thank you for the inside down. Have a great weekend, and say hi to your lovely wife.
Speaker 6: Yep, have a good weekend, guys.
Speaker 3: There goes Don McLean and we'll be right back with your dead and the live guy Birthday of the Day. We'll wrap it up and then Tim Kates with your Pitchers and Catchers report, First day of record Dodger Talk show.
Speaker 1: This is petros Money on demand.
Speaker 3: First day Pitchers and Catchers Dodgerer Talk coming up next. You don't want to miss that show. Tim Kates behind the wheel with his hand on the gear shift, shifting gears all the way to Camelback Ranch. Dave Roberts. All kinds of different stuff happening today at camel Back Ranch, Arizona. So Tim Kates will be next. Pettersen Money mercifully coming to an end. Matt. We have some things to promote this weekend.
Speaker 2: Tim Kate's gonna be on the preaff and post Sunday. You get a little border war between Illinois and Indiana. Two teams, one certainly atop the Big Ten in Illinois, another fighting to get into the tournament in Indiana, which you know not a big basketball every football going.
Speaker 3: Indiana is a big basketball school, Matt, what and I can tell you right yeah, okay, news slash football. If you're gonna work the Big Ten tournament, you might want to know that. And then second of all, Matt, Second of all, Okay, that game is of paramount interest to people here in southern California. No doubt that border war is very you know, right over that time zone.
Speaker 2: Come on, think about those historic matchups between Bobby Knight and Lou Henson. I mean we all remember them, that's right, And we're just mentioned right now, exactly right.
Speaker 3: Don't forget to podcast this show on the iHeartRadio app for your smartphone. We're always there for you, even on the weekends when we're not really there. Monday's a holiday, but Pettersen Money will start at three for a four hour show on Monday. Why because we like you and your dead guy. Birthday of the day is John Aaron Rawlins. Interesting story. I thought it was interesting when I read about this guy, John Aaron Rawlins. Yes, Jar, I think you would like Rawlins. It would have been one hundred and ninety five years old today from Galena, Illinois. Improverished background could have never played for lou Henson was His father was kind of a deadbeat, so he was the caregiver and caretaker for his family, very little education, was known as a self made man. Became a lawyer and in the eighteen sixties he got really into the Lincoln Douglas debates and backed the wrong horse. He was really into Steve Douglas and a big Democrat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of people were.
Speaker 3: His first wife had three kids for him and then died at tuberculosis, and he said in his mind, God, I hate to die from that tuberculosis, which he did some few years later, unfortunately he killed him. But before tuberculosis killed him, he did get his hot second wife. Okay, And here's what happened after he threw off his Democrat yoke and joined the Union Army because of the Declaration of Warrant Fort Sumter, he became Ulysses S. Grant's guy. He was his number one assistant aide de camp, made it all the way to brigadier general under Grant. So every time us Grant got promoted, Rawlins got promoted as well. And Grant went all the way to the top to take down the Army of Northern Virginia, and for most of it, Rawlins went with him. And when Grant became the president, Rawlins became the Secretary of War. He was with Grant until he died. From being a luner, being with Grant and being Grant's number one confidant meant it was Rowlin's job to keep him sober and fighting against the Confederates. He had to keep him from going on benders. And as long as there was a war like fighting to be had, he could keep Grant sober. But when they would have like a siege like in Vicksburg or in Chattanooga where they were just starving out the army and having him surrounded, that's when Grant was susceptible. Idle hands, you know, Matt, they do the devil's work. Grant fought, and that's why Lincoln couldn't fire him for being a drunk. He fought hard and many died, and Grant was overall a very honorable man. And Rawlins and Grant together made a pretty good soldier. And Lincoln tried to put or did put rawlins law partner in jail in Illinois for being a vocal anti war Democrat, and Rawlins did not like that. He got him out. Lincoln put anybody in jail he wanted to. He suspended Habeas Corpus for the entire Civil War.
Speaker 2: Guy was very tall.
Speaker 3: He just threw everybody very tall. If you were like suspected of anything, Lincoln through you in jail.
Speaker 6: It was.
Speaker 3: He was also exposed to Grant's expulsion of Jews from the Union army, which Grant did right in the middle of the war.
Speaker 2: Kind of need him there Boston.
Speaker 3: Rawlins was like, hey, actually you didn't. They could come with more guys. Like that was the thing about the Union. They were ever going to run out of guys. It was said that if you shot Rawlins in the head, you'd be killing Grant's brain. He worked hard to keep Grant from going on benders. I think Grant got annoyed with him, so by the end he sent him to d C to be with Lincoln as his emissary, and then when Grant became president, he became the Secretary of War. But the second he became the Secretary of War, he significantly reduced General Sherman's power, Grant's BFF and basically Rawlins got between Grant and Sherman and they never were friends like they were again because of Rawlins. Rawlins was also heavily anti Mormon. He went hard against polygamy and wanted to destroy the Mormons and send the army and crush them.
Speaker 2: They were trying to separate from the States. He was doom at that particular time.
Speaker 3: He was very anti combative Mormon and pushed Grant to get after the Mormon's ass. This is all while just coughing up a storm is dying the whole time. He did approve the Brooklyn Bridges construction right before his death.
Speaker 2: One of the world's great marvels.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a significant figure of the nineteenth century, died a consumption at thirty eight. Oh God, yeah, in eighteen sixty eighteen sixty nine. Dude, like he was there for everything. He coughed his way into oblivion.
Speaker 2: And he was howled thirty eight. Jesus lived like ten lifetimes. Well, you're a live guy.
Speaker 3: There are statues and some things named after him.
Speaker 2: Jars named after him.
Speaker 3: Are a live guy.
Speaker 2: You think it's an overnight success, but holy hell, did our man Robert Kelly Thomas go through it before he found owned super stardom and Matchbox twenty Baby, it's three am, I must be lonely the vocalist.
Speaker 3: At least he wasn't coughing the whole time.
Speaker 2: Matt Right, vocalist of your father's favorite song ever, Smooth.
Speaker 3: Nobody pushed their hips out like my dad when he heard Smooth.
Speaker 2: He was born in Lnstuhl, West Germany and Army brat father was stationed over there at the time. Came back to the US when little Robbie was just six months old. Life at home was not good. Parents got divorced when he was two. Single mom raised him with his half sister. Grandma Health raised him too. In the South Carolina six Grammy owned a tiny country store with one gas pump. She was an alcoholic who sold moonshine and weed under the counter.
Speaker 3: That's how he got so much soul from Matchbox twenty Right.
Speaker 2: Listen into Grammy's favorites, Johnny Cash and Merle haggard. Mom decided she had to get him out of that environment, so they moved to Florida when Rob was ten. Was an abuse of alcoholic. They grew up incredibly poor. A friend passed along an old cassio keyboard, into which he found solace. Self taught himself how to play, mimicking songs he heard on the radio. His mother had different dudes in and out of the house, drunks, all of them. His sister ran away. At Lake Brantley High School, he joined the choir because he had a crush on a girl that suggested he join, And it turns out the choir instructor was like, you can really sing, and she tutored him. He wrote songs. He loved it. He dropped out of school to focus on music, but he needed money, so he stole a car. He tried to sell it, he got pinched and he was sent to the pokey for about eight months. When he got out, he was homeless, did a couch tour between Florida and South Carolina. Family and friends. Started singing in a few cover bands to make enough money to buy food and beer, and when he's twenty one years old, he starts a band called Tabitha's Secret A couple friends on I believe that's what it was referring to. Thomas wrote all the songs and three Am was one of them, but a few of the guys weren't into playing anymore, so they broke up. Thomas, though it, had made enough contacts to get a demo produced. A few stations in Orlando and Tampa loved this song. They start playing it. A guy that was a local promotion dude for Atlantic heard it on the radio, turned the label onto it. They sign it to one of their imprints, Lava. Thomas writes an album. It gets put out in October of ninety six, the same day that Lava Records folded. This was not their first single and it wasn't really working, and then a Birmingham alternative rock station decides to start playing an album track called Push. It takes off sells a bunch of records in that one market, and with Atlantic about to drop them the following week, their an R was like, no, don't look, it's working in Birmingham. They decided to start working. Push goes top five. Of course, three Am was the follow up becomes one of the biggest songs of the year. Album sells three million copies. Four years after three Am was recorded, Thomas was homeless. His band broke up on him, his label was about to drop it, and all of a sudden, it's a big hit. And in nineteen ninety nine Santana and A and R putting together a comeback record for Santana with guest vocalists. That thing was almost finished. It was actually a done record until Thomas was handed a demo from a songwriter named A Tal Shure. The song had a working title called Smooth, with the idea that George Michael would do the vocals.
Speaker 3: Oh should have God George Michael.
Speaker 2: Well, Thomas rewrote the whole thing. He wrote all the verses. He worked on the chorus with Shure, and when they submitted it to Santana, he had no idea who Rob Thomas was, but said this hell is this essay? He says it has a very Spanish flavor to it and said where does that come from? And Rob Thomas. Rob Thomas mentioned his wife was Puerto Rican and Santana said, brother, you wrote it, you sing it. It was not just the biggest song of the year, it is the number two hot one hundred song of all Time. It won three Grammys. He was the BMI Songwriter of the Year and Smooth is the biggest selling single ever behind Just the Twist from Chubby Checker. How about that. This is the version from Live at Daryl's House, which is a really great session. He and darrylll do a bunch of Haler notes together and it works very well.
Speaker 3: Thomas, all right, we'll be back on Monday at three o'clock. A big thank you to Tim Kats and Ronnie Fossio. Coming up next, Tim Kates with a very special Dodger Talk. Have a great weekend to everybody, and be safe. If it's a three day weekend, check out this