Speaker 1: Do you want to be an American Indio election night?
Speaker 2: And in early one at that last night Good Morning Scott'sland Show on seven hundred WYLW and the headline of course DEM's sweep from Jersey to New York City to Virginia to Anderson Township and so a blue I don't know if it's a blue wave. Let's have blue maybe or a blue ripple because it's currently only been a year since the Republican takeover. Nonetheless, to put things in perspective, he's a pollster from Crosstown consulting in northern Kentucky. That would be Kevin Burton, who's consulted more than a few people in this race. Kevin, welcome, how are you?
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me Scott.
Speaker 2: A good day for you. I know your candidate's all swept up right.
Speaker 3: It was a good It was a good night.
Speaker 4: You know, it's all about understanding the political environment and running, you know, running with that and it's that simple.
Speaker 5: But yeah, the.
Speaker 4: Council race and the Mary race was called early. It was a good night if you were them.
Speaker 6: It was.
Speaker 2: We see that the midterm referendum that the party in power is refuted at the mid term. This feels like it's starting a little earlier. Am I right about that? I mean, literally, it's been nine of a year, a year into Trump's you know, Trump tom across America, and I think, as you said before, it's the standard beards of people at the top that's kind of set the tone. Are we starting to see that swing earlier than ever before?
Speaker 4: I mean, I would go back to even twenty seventeen, and it was very similar if people can remember, I know, it was a long time ago.
Speaker 3: Trump.
Speaker 4: If Trump is not on the top of the ticket, he is, he has lost every election. Yeah, yeah, but Trump is the anomaly. And that's the one thing that when he is not on top of the ticket, it is a whole different ballgame. We've seen it in twenty seventeen, twenty eighteen, twenty nineteen, you know, twenty one, twenty two.
Speaker 3: Trump is the outlier.
Speaker 4: And you know, I will the biggest shock to me was to see New Jersey, which you know Trump did so well. Yes he lost, but he got it within five which was kind of unheard of. For instance, wing back to I believe it was like fifteen yeh or you know, all the inroads he made in the minority communities like in it really shifted back. And it's as simple as it's the economy stupid. You know, every election is about the wallet. And if you're in power, you you know, and people are having hardships, they're going to take it out on you. And a lot of ways, the Trump administration is doing the same problem that Biden did, downplaying inflation and down playing how much the average person's hurting. So, yeah, you know your four oh one k might be doing well, that's not everyone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean I think you know that illustrative of New York City with Mom Donnie. He feels like the he feels like the anti Trump because total grassroots effort right in social media. He's going to clubs, he's hanging out with younger voters, the youngest voters, social media, digital campaign, no TV, he's not doing Good Morning America, no legacy media, nothing like that. And he just simply comes out of nowhere and reset how politics is going to be run in the future, for sure, And so he blasts the gen zs, the young millennials, and they have now arrived.
Speaker 5: As a voting block. No, that's New York City, that's different.
Speaker 2: But but again that starts there in a pretty young city, and that wave kind of sweeps this way as we saw what happened in Anderson Township for example.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you know, from an Donnie he is one of those just regardless of what you think of him politically.
Speaker 3: He has the aura. He has it, Yeah, he does.
Speaker 4: And you know, and it's actually very similar to both Obama and Trump that he came out of nowhere and it was a meteoric rise and he captured.
Speaker 3: The soul of the voter.
Speaker 4: And that's something that no consultant can tell you to do.
Speaker 3: You just have it or you're not.
Speaker 4: But then for Anderson, you know that Anderson's completely shocking to get back to the local side. You know, in twelve years, it went from being a super red you know township to now almost all blue.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 2: So yeah, two Republican trustees replaced by two Democrats on the three member panel. And also I'll point out the Foesil school board flipped blue as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So you know, it's very interesting because you know, during the Trump era of politics, we have seen rural areas get redder, cities get bluer, and really the suburbs. The Anderson townships, the you know Florence Kentuckys of the world. Those are what decide really national elections, state elections, and you know they swung for Trump last year, yep, but they came back overwhelmingly now to the the which I'm always shocked. I've never met someone who is a swing voter. And if you guys are you guys are amazing. I would love to meet you guys sometimes yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: The imaginery, yeah, but the election out they're lost in one in the suburbs because, as you mentioned, the rural areas are pretty red, the cities, urban airs pretty blue. But we're seeing the blue kind of sweep to areas. You know years ago was Montgomery and Blue Ash and it's Anderson Township.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 4: And you know, so that's going forward for twenty six, seven, eight, all resources for either party should just be all put in to the Anderson townships type, you know, the suburbs, because that's where you win or lose election. That's how Joe Biden won in twenty twenty, That's how Donald Trump won in twenty four.
Speaker 3: The suburbs.
Speaker 4: So all resources going forward, I would not be shocked if you saw both sides just pour heavily into you know, digital grassroots knocking in the suburbs, because that's where you win or lose an election. You're not gonna win or lose the election in rural if you're Republicans or the city if you're dem So you got to turn you got to get the suburbs voters.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll even point out where I am, you know, like a Mason and Warren County that's been deep red for a long time, pretty red for a long time, but even that we're starting to see change. Emmy Greg Landsman one reelection there and we'll see what happens with the registering of Him'm gonna get him on the show in the next few days to talk about that. But I know, it's like the council is kind of flipping, maybe not blue, but more moderate. In the past, it used to be really really rock ribbed, super Trump mega, even though their mega candidate missed getting elected for the second or third time. So it's interesting how even Warren County, which is pretty red, is starting to get back towards the middle.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 4: You know, and elections are always a pendulum, and you know, they go one way and the other and right now we're kind of getting back to the middle. I mean, you know, for Hamilton County, when I first started, it was a swing county and now every single basically elected official from judges all the way down are all blue. So it's just in a very fascinating political shift during the Trump era.
Speaker 3: You know, in school, you would always learn.
Speaker 4: About the nineteen sixty eight, the civil rights era, how it changed the map, and it's very similar now. Yeah, you know, Trump has changed the political landscape and how you win elections, and it's just been fascinating for someone for what I do, how to get you know, the fifty plus one vote to win an election, and that's been the biggest change during.
Speaker 5: The Trump era.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this is more a referendu amount affordability in the pocketbook or Donald Trump?
Speaker 5: Are both?
Speaker 3: I think it's both.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, yes, you know, Madonna really hit on something and I think I want to be shocked as Democrats to play on this nationally. Yeah, Elon Moss, Jeff Bezos are getting how much more billions while you're struggling to pay for eggs?
Speaker 3: Easy to affordability.
Speaker 4: Affordability will always be the number one issue I know, James Carville, and I said it earlier.
Speaker 3: It's the economy stupid.
Speaker 4: Always yeah, yeah, always, yeah, always, it's the number one issue. And frankly, if people are feeling it at home, they're going to take out their frustration on the ballot box.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think it's true, you know, Trump saying, Hey, I'm gonna come in the first day, You're gonna get more money, it's gonna be overnight. I'm gonna fix all these things and make these grandiose promises on the campaign trail, which politicians often do, but Donald Trumps has really turned that on its ear, like he's really good at it. If it's been a year later and you're seeing things get worse, stagnant, or just simply not better, uh, then you go to the alternative and now you've got a guy like mom daddy making these promises, which we'll see what happened into the year. And I'm guessing a lot of this stuff's simply not going to happen. I wonder and again, three years from now, maybe he is your Democratic front runner. If he can be successful, I doubt it, but we'll see about you know, free buses and we're gonna freeze rent, and we'll see how that works out. But back to the local race here, I'm not surprised by Aftab's win. I said, I think he's gonna win. You never want to say never, but I think he's more than likely. If our betting, I would bet handily that he would have won the election he did. But are you surprised by the margin that he won by him almost eight and ten voters.
Speaker 4: Yes, I thought my over or under for him was about sixty five seventy percent. But it also just speaks to how well of a machine he has. I mean, Aftab has won every election besides the one against Shabbit, which is self inflected wound, and the city is just that blue. You know, Harris won seventy five to twenty five. So it's very similar to the Harris number, and it just points to all the outside noise on social media and talk radio and everything.
Speaker 5: You know, y city.
Speaker 4: The people in the city actually don't care. They care about you know, issues about rent, about social issues, and you know, for Astap, this gives him a referendum like he has a mandate, like so with the police chief, the city manager. When you win almost eighty percent, I don't care who you are. You have a lot of cliche now, so it's gonna be very interesting to see how he does that. And you know, he his campaign was very kind of smart. They didn't try to make too much of an issue.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 4: Props to him and his team. They clearly knew what they were doing, and it showed last night.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it did.
Speaker 6: But I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think the way they handle a lot of these things relative to crime was not good at all. Does that just empower them to do more of the same down on this because I get I don't live in the city, and I know the crime isn't rampant downtown. There's just areas and pockets that are difficult. A lot of the policies and quite honestly, the missteps and incompetence how they handle Terry Sieg. You know, they has voters didn't give a damn and you know that he doesn't have to please me, you have to please voters. I get that whole thing. But does that just give them more leeway to go, Okay, well, they don't care about this. I can I can definitely, you know, I can get police officials to charge folks after the fact, and I can you know, suspend someone before I fire them and voters don't care?
Speaker 5: Is he just going to do more of that?
Speaker 4: I mean, at the end of the day, when you're an elected official, you know the voters are the people who.
Speaker 3: Keep you in check.
Speaker 4: And when you win eighty percent and when you sweep all council, the voters have clearly made up what they think is the most important issue. So you know them swept all counsel. They swept them as all the trustees, school boards and Handleton County, so you know the crime issue is not as big of an issue to the voters of Hamilton County as it appeared.
Speaker 5: No, that makes total sense.
Speaker 2: Scott's Solondlaw with Jeff Jeff Kevin Burton from Crosstown Consultanting. He's an upholster and political wonk if you will, had a hand in a number of the people winning election last night in the local area, and just some observations as to why the dem swept and what is behind this whole thing pocketbook, they'd be affordability and the Trump factor as well are influencing races, not just on the East Coast with Jersey and Virginia and New York City, but also places like Anderson Township where you saw two Republican trustees replaced by two Democrats. They flipped that blue and Forestal school Board as well. Not surprised by aftabs win, I thought that, okay, I said, you know, Aftabs is going to win this election. I'm pretty sure of it. But I thought that there would be a little bit more upheaval on city Council.
Speaker 4: And that just speaks to this power of the blue slate card. You know that it was actually very remarkable because I think even the biggest stems would have told you.
Speaker 3: I think eight out of nine. Ryan James was always.
Speaker 4: The question mark, as you know, someone who's not on council and list heating rant a perfect race. But at the end of the day, the numbers are what the numbers are. There's nothing more that she could have done. She raised a bowloado of money, she did a blitz at the end, but the numbers are what the numbers are. And the blue slate card that you see when you go to a poll, if you're in the City of Cincinnati or Hamilton County, it's undefeated now it you know. The biggest elections going forward in the city will be the primaries similar to Columbus Cleveland. And that's just how much, in you know, fifteen years, it has changed from being you had to be this moderate on either side to you know, win an election, to now where it's solid blue. And I think you're gonna start seeing in the new upcoming elections primaries start to get nasty because that's the real election, now.
Speaker 2: Gotcha, gotcha your top vote getters. Michelle Iman Kearney was number one, Scottie Johnson, Mika Owens is new, and I'll be Jefferies Walsh, Kramer Ding Nolan and Ryan James and just missing again. I just had her on the other day. I think she's wonderful. Liz Keating, who went totally in on the crime thing, as well as Chris Smitheman, Keita Cole. They all went crime, crime, crime, crime, and it didn't matter because Liz keith Anthy for the second election now just narrowly missed that ninth seat.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and to her and her team, they ran, you know, it's easy to be a Monday morning quarterback, but they ran as good as the race. I don't really know anything they could have done differently, but when a city votes seventy five to twenty five, you know, for the mayor or eighty twenty in this case, it's very hard to overcome that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean it's that simple, right, right, But I think it's a promise there because Mika Owens came as a charter right and she finished surprisingly third, beating out a lot of the incumbents there with the most number of votes behind lemon Kearney and Johnson.
Speaker 4: MICA's endorsed by the Hamilton County Democratic Democrats.
Speaker 5: I'm sure, yeah, yeah, right, yeah, yeah, you're right.
Speaker 4: The charter Yeah, but you know, it's amazing and basically ten years the charter rights went basically extinct, which they were, you know, a large part of Cincinnati politics since the nineteen twenties.
Speaker 3: But they just they just don't have the juice anymore.
Speaker 5: Right, What do you attribute that?
Speaker 2: Just the fact that we're it's a two party state and that's all because I mean we had charter you know, I've been here for twenty years and there are plenty of charter rights that did wonderful and work and represented well and went why can't they get traction?
Speaker 3: Uh? It's national.
Speaker 4: I mean, at the end of the day, politics now has become so national. You know, it's a you're either with us or against stuff, and people just now you know the social media age that there's no wiggle room.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 4: And secondly, the charter right, this is very wonky now and I'm gonna apologize. It's actually a committee and not a party with the state. So it also hurts some of their resources. So it's not like the Green Party, because you know, you have national stuff. They just lack the resources. And frankly, when the earned media for either the R or the D are trillions of dollars every year, there's nothing you can do.
Speaker 2: He's Kevin Burton with Crosstown Consulting Other Kentucky. Congratulations on your slate of winners. Are you went six or six in this? I know Kevin and I always love the insight and the polster and why we voted the way we voted yesterday. Kevin, all the best, Thanks again, buddy, do well, thanks for having me. All right, I got to get a news update in I believe Frank Marzula is standing by from WCPO nine. He's down to Louisville, the very latest one that ups plane crash. We'll get back to some of this election related stuff. Lots to do on this Wednesday morning, Sloaney seven hundred w all right, we'll get back some of the election stuff in just a minute. But as often as the case, you have one big news day, it's just compounded by other big news story and a huge one right in our listening area. Here's what happened early evening last night. Of course, the ups plane crash at Louisville Airport at Muhammad Ali death toll. There is climbing. We're up to nine overnight now, eleven people injured. Governor Basher said, sixteen people at this point still unaccounted for, and by now we saw the devastation. Standing by out there is Frank Marzulo now with nine WCPO. I've known Frank. I think we came to Cincinnati years and decades ago. Now it makes us old about the same time. And Frank, uh so, glad you're back on TV local here.
Speaker 5: Welcome. Oops. Hold on the second one. I think I screwed that up, did I know?
Speaker 2: There we go, Let me try that again, Frank, you there, I was just kissing your ass, Frank a little bit there, just kissing your ass for a minute.
Speaker 5: There, that's what I do.
Speaker 2: Congratulations on the gig. Good to see you back on local television.
Speaker 6: My friend, Oh thank you. I was I was kissing lots of butts to try to get back on.
Speaker 2: Appreciate he's in Cleveland, he's in date and he's doing it, hitting the line. He's like Jay Lenno work in the circuit back in the day, buddy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, no, it's good. It's it's good. It's going to be back and doing things. But I appreciate you know, we'll talk the better terms next time. But yeah, I really sad story it is.
Speaker 2: I was watching last night and then Autrition rob Head Live Anchory their ranking live coverage out there, and when they broke in, I'm like, okay, now what do we have. It's Louisville. A plane crash. Okay, thinking like it's private. And it turns out and they show the aerial of this thing and it's a field of fireball uh.
Speaker 5: And not the good content. Absolutely horrific.
Speaker 2: So again, the latest numbers on this nine people are are confirmed debt at this point. The Governor Andy Basheer said sixteen on accounted for eleven injured. Let's set this up the scope of the fire because it's tough to get a perspective unless you're down there, even with you know, a helicopter view of this thing.
Speaker 5: How wide is that is that? The field of damage?
Speaker 6: Well, the search area here this morning and WCBO nine's are Sam Harris Simmon with he was there live last night when the fire really was still going strong. The fire has been put out, slope has been put out. There have been a few flare ups. I've noticed two of those this morning, but the search area has been one city block that they have been searching. And you mentioned the victims still missing. That detull at nine now at one point two with the here's thing, Scott, two hundred and eighty thousand pounds of fuel was on this jet right. This is an MD eleven. It's the tried jet. We've got the engines on, one on each wing and one on the on the tail. They don't serve passengers anymore, they're all cargo. Ups. Took control of this one in two thousand and six. It's thirty four years old. So this thing wholesome fuel right, two hundred and eighty thousand pounds of fuel. It's going on an eight and a half hour flight to Honolulu. So it's fully loaded one hundred and seventy five feet off the air when it crashes, this into a petroleum recycling facility that's at the end of the runway there at Muhammad Ali Luisa interat National Airport, So not only the fuel on board, but the petroleum facility. I know you've seen the video. It is just there was a video where you literally see the plane kind of kurktailing, you could see an engine on fire. And I talked to our good friend, I know, he does a lot with you with Jay Ratliss, last night and he was telling me that, you know, investigators, is a couple of things you'll look at here now. So you're going to look Number one, engine failure may not always be the go to even if it's on fire. There could have been debris on the runway that happened with the Concord Air crash back in two thousand and Since then, there's protocols now where you go up and down the runway a couple of times a day make sure there's not dead animals and whatnot. Couldn't this a cargo jet, so it could be cargo that maybe properly wasn't you know, tied down and you get your weights and balances off if something's moving, so a lot. Again, those are just all options that the NTSB is going to have on the table here as those twenty eight investigators are arriving this morning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it probably starts not discounting all that stuff. I think Jay's right about that. Is the engine itself is the flame out, because you know, most people get never saw my guy, we're coming in for a landing.
Speaker 5: And that's the easy part.
Speaker 2: The most critical part of that is that sequence what you talked about, from where you start up to beginning of the runway basically get up to speed to get up knots to create the lift to get that plane in the air. So if the engine goes out, if you lose an engine that early, you know it's it's not always catastrophic, But boy, you really can't control that. You got all that weight and inertia going forward and it flamed out at the exact wrong time. Now, could it bend something in the hold that shifted, That's entirely possible causing a problem. But I'm sure though, And it looked to me like it looked like part of a cowling maybe along the runway from some of the areals I saw, which should indicate that. But the fact of the matter is putting a petroleum refining facility near where the end of that runway is. Was it at the end of the runway or did it get some lift and go off to it one time.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's not like it's not you know, runways over petroleum facilities there, but it's close enough that there was only one hundred and twenty five feet off the air when it crashed into this, and you bring up good points there. By the time you realize you have an issue, okay, you're past the point of no return, so you either run off the runway or you try to take off right that the issue is. And that's why I take off. Failures like this are so critical. You don't have altitude to troubleshoot this thing right your mid air engine blows Okay, you've got two others you're flying along. You can at least troubleshoot it. Clear some airspace for me, let me figure out what's going on. You're lifting off, it goes off, you pretty much have no chance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And it harkens back to Miracle on the Hudson with Sullenberger right, and he had enough lift created he was off the ground enough when that bird strike cap and that other engine is able to propel him. That this happened earlier than that, I believe, and I know I'm not through the aviation expert. Probably a lot heavier cargo and so more inertia. It's going to take more energy to get the plane in the air because it's a cargo plane. But bigger engines, bigger and NTSB's on scene. They'll figure this thing out eventually at some point here. But right now you worry about what I heard from Governor Basher was sixteen people still missing? Is that numbers still accurate at this point?
Speaker 6: That's that's the number I have. Yep, sixteen still missing. It was seven overnight dead, when up to nine here this afternoon. I'm sure we'll get more updates. The airport is open, they've opened one runway because it was shut down for a good portion of the overnight period. And you had a five mile radius for shelter in place. I've seen and I haven't been able to confirm this, but I have seen on you know, multiple legit news articles and sites, you know, debris miles away because you have all it's all packaging, right, and you have so you have things that are light. I mean, you have an explosion like that, you have you know, letters and packages and things that will just you know, get caught up in the updrafts and whatnot in the atmosphere and be carried away. So yeah, it's you never want to you never want to see anything like that. This is only the third, you say, only you know it's awful no matter what. But the third accident in UPS airline history since nineteen eighty eight. You had won in twenty ten in Dubai and closer to home twenty thirteen, you may recall there was an UPS flight and an A three hundred that took off and was on its way to Birmingham and right before it landed in Birmingham it crashed. And that took off from Louisville as well. That was back in twenty thirteen, and in both those instances the crew was killed. There was three on the flight here, pilot, copilot and either a relief pilot or you know, an engineer.
Speaker 2: You know, I can't, you can't, but I don't think that's Louisville it's our backyard. It's you know, it's in our listening area here and you're being here a Frank. Yeah. At the same time, you go, well, what about CVG, because we have a cargo hub there certainly as big as Louisville, as the Global Comino, I mean.
Speaker 6: With Amazon at DHL, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And I know down in there where you are, Louisville, Frank Brzullo, that is also the UPS Global Flight Training facility right there too. But this was an actual cargo flight. This wasn't a training flight.
Speaker 6: This was on a training flight. Yeah. They had their real port there and they so they have planes, you know, planes that they own and planes that they charter, right and upwards of two thousand flights a day go out of Louisville, and a lot of those are on the on the overnight hours. I mean you can and you see that at CBG too, you know. Yeah, get back up at two am now, rewarded driver into work and you can see the lights lining up as the planes are coming in, whether it's DHL or Amazon or whatnot. So a lot of that's overnight. But this was just as the day was getting as the evening was getting started, a little left five thirty and it's so close. I mean you have all the windows on the on the departure gates and so you know you're getting on a United American Delta flight and you see that, like hold on a second.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Mean there's been flights I've had that we've had to divert to Louisville because you know, something's going on CBG.
Speaker 6: So it's very nice. It's convenient. In fact, I was last week. I came back from New York and all the flights and the CBG were canceled weather and stuff. So I ended up taking a flight to Louisville and just you know, drove the quick ninety minutes back up north.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 6: That's right. Pretty it's actually pretty convenient.
Speaker 2: I like Louisville lot. It's what what is the situation now there? So people are hearing this, like I got to drive south?
Speaker 6: Is it?
Speaker 5: Is it causing problems on the highways?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 5: Or you're not keeping an eye on that?
Speaker 6: Oh no, that's all good, okay, every everything down there. Yeah, when it comes to like infrastructure stuff, now everything's focusing on the actual site itself. Now, if you're in a business or whatnot within that vicinity there's you know things. But if you you know, are on the interstates and whatnot, you were fine. We got right into the airport. It was no no problem at all.
Speaker 5: Cha all right.
Speaker 2: Well, the search continues for the missing sixteen and NTSB's on the scene, investigators, they're somewhere.
Speaker 6: Else right like. And the governor even said this too when tornadoes have hit and whatnot. You know, he goes, here's what we're looking for. We're missing. But he said thankfully, you know, when he said, you know, we have one hundred missing, maybe twenty out of the hunting. You know, so you guess all that. You know, folks are asleeping, they don't have the news on the on on what's going on, and you guess hoping.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: Well, I think also too when this happened, and I think it was the affiliate in Louisville that had reported the roads that were most affected by this, and I pulled my Google arth out doing a little research, and it said, oh my god, that is very very close to it. There's a Ford assembly plant that is right there. How close was this to the Ford Assembly Plant?
Speaker 6: I can't I can't tell you I know it's there. I mean I will see the Louisville Airport. I mean there's an amusement park. There's a lot going called Kentucky Kingdom or whatever. Yeah, you can see that. Right when the sun came up, I'm like, oh, look there's a Ferris room.
Speaker 5: It was right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're there for a couple surburbon and beyond at the expo grounds right there's fits A. It's a great facility to watch concertce live. But there's a lot of It's not just an airport like CVG. Okay, there's some buildings and stuff around there. That's a whole big it's almost like a city itself around the airport. And I saw that they FOURD assembly plant. I'm like praying to God that oh my god, if that plane hit that assembly plant with you know, a full shift there, can you imagine?
Speaker 5: Can you imagine?
Speaker 6: I'm a good point because people always go, you know that, we always get not made fun of it. They go, what did you fly to Cincinnati? But are you flying to Kentucky. Well, they build it out there because there was land where you can you know, where you're not putting a lot at risk or having a lot of developments going up now right around the airport. I mean, I love if you are flowing into San Diego, that thing is that's what I go downtown. That would be like a runway on Fountain Square. Yeah, I mean so yeah, crazy crazy. There's a risk with these city metropo hality airports.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no question.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 2: Frank Marzoula from WCPO nine to SeeMe in the mornings, and I thank you for checking in, brother, Glad you're back on your feet and kicking.
Speaker 5: But thanks again. Man. We're trying, okay, all the best. Back at it. Horrible tragedy down level. Will keep an eye on that one.
Speaker 2: Scott's loan on seven hundred w OLDWT coming up at ten oh six CPS. Back to the other major news story today, of course, that would be the election yesterday and what's happening behind the scenes. We've got Sean Murphy, Superintendent of CPS. They had a big levy in it passed by wide margin yesterday forty eight million dollars ten year renewal. And it's a renewal, so it's no property tax increases for taxpayers. But we'll get to hear about the big picture in just a few minutes coming up on the Scott Sloan Show on seven hundred w OLDW. But a relative to the election yesterday, I know that my Republican colleagues, especially though are more maga than not, are a little nervous today about the dem sweeping from Jersey to the city, to Virginia to Anderson Township. I think it's an interesting, interesting fallout here and that you know, looking at what Ma'm donnie to me, it strikes me watching him going and rising so quickly meteorically as a couple of things going on, and how does that impact what would do here in Cincinnati. I think it does is that we have a much much lower tolerance now than before for politicians getting elected mandates or otherwise, but putting their plans in place, and if it doesn't come to fruition, that's it. Biggest issue are two things. One is the referendumount affordability, because that's what got Mamdanie elected in New York City. It was I want to say, not long ago, maybe a year ago, if that there was a meme going on mighty saw that the sandwich in New York stity just a regular not like a high end boogie sandwich or your sandwich in near thirty dollars or a sandwich. Now, what's driving that? Of course the government policies and everything, and the fact it is the most populous city in the United States and everything costs much much more in New York City because so many more people are there. It just drives a cost everything up. That's not a lot that. I don't know people caught that or not, but Ma'm daddy. Toy strikes me as the anti Trump because he came on the scene rather quickly, just simply out of nowhere, and his campaign was run completely in social media and a digital campaign.
Speaker 5: There was no TV, no legacy.
Speaker 2: He's not sitting down and talking to CNN and MSNBC and you know all the things typically politicians do.
Speaker 5: It was completely organic.
Speaker 2: And the other big factor here is he did really, really well turning out young people gen zers and millennials because quite honestly, at that age, you know, you're looking at this going, Okay, I did what I'm supposed to do. I'm working, I maybe got a college degree. Professionals for example, normally you look at them as being more rightly and going, you know what, I'm tired of having to have roommates at the age of thirty and not being able to save for a house or a car and all these things. In retirement, it feels so out of touch. Healthcare is another thing, and affordability, affordability and more affordability is what it gets down to.
Speaker 5: And for gen Z.
Speaker 2: And this a whole generation too, by the way, that gets all their information from social media, and so the algorithms are set there that if you want to be depressed and you want to be sad, just continue to get a feed of social media and not get a perspective on things. And so that played into Bondami, and that's why he said, Hey, look, you know what, I'm gonna give a free bussing. I'm gonna give you a government run grocery stores, and your rent is gonna go up. I mean that all sounds good, but the reil of that is having seen it, especially from the rent element, to me, we'll see what happens. It's almost Trump in a sense that he's going to promise, over promise and under deliver because Trump was, Hey, we're gonna have tariffs, the economy's gonna have good everything's gonna be making money. You know, your foreign ca is doing pretty well, but it's not like the inflation, the cost everything went down and we're getting all these jobs back and people are winning. And I think the average person doesn't feel like they're winning. You may think you are because again, maybe you're on social, maybe you're on true social, maybe you're gonna fed the algorithms how great everything is. Because Donald Trump says that's the case. But from many Americans that we know, that's simply not true. But in enough Americans to make a difference, I think it's the per se of the reality over the perception. But looking in what I see at this whole thing is, yeah, it's just backlash to that. And then relative to Cincinnati with af Ted pure Vols, I've been saying, I don't see how I don't see how Corey Bowman wins. I mean, seems like a nice guy had him in the show before. But the fact of the matter is, you know your jd Vance's brother, and I think people hear that in deep deep blue Cincinnati and go hell no.
Speaker 6: That.
Speaker 5: I don't think that helped him.
Speaker 2: And I think you know, he madd a great message in Step, but the baggage around that and what he had to carry to win the vote in Cincinnati is never going to work out. I am surprised that AFTAB got eight out of ten votes. That that surprises me. It may not af taed pureval, but that was I guess if you're on team AFTAB, that's a pleasant surprise. But I don't know it was that voters thought that, And you know, eight out of ten votes is a mandate. Let's call what it is. But I think that's the thing with Corey Bowman, like he had a good message, just I wonder if he could get past all that baggage, and clearly he couldn't in that case. So we'll see what happens with crime downtown. I'm curious to see if it's a lesson learned with this Thigg nonsense and the riot, or just does empower you to dig your heels and go hey, listen, voters didn't care. Therefore I can get away with more. And we're back to the central theme of the show, and that is I love a divided government. I love it when two sides have to compromise and to get order to get stuff done, whether that is in Cincinnati or whether that's in Columbus, or in Washington for that matter, we do better when they're divided. When one side controls everything, it's not good. And you're seeing that come true and may see that come true in downtown Cincinnati. We'll get a time out in and more to follow Scott's Sloane Show on the home of the best Bengals coverage with the bye week here, see if they can't lose the bye week.
Speaker 5: They're trying. They're trying. Seven hundred WW Cincinnati, Do.
Speaker 8: You want to be an American?
Speaker 2: All right, let's go on this Wednesday morning, Sloani here, seven hundred WLW. Election followup continues and overall, generally a good night for leve save maybe a few Lakota comes to mind, but a lot of school levees are up and passed, and one of those would be CPS A forty eight million dollars, ten year renewal in the city that has no property tax increase for the emergency levee. And I think it's interesting based on the dynamics of the economy, because this whole thing was a referendu amount. Affordability for things and housing affordability is the top of people's minds. Here in the Tri state area for sure. On that is the superintendent of Cincinnati Public Schools and Studio this morning, Miss Shanna Murphy.
Speaker 5: Welcome, Harrio. Congratulations.
Speaker 9: I'm wonderful, thank you, Thank you so much for having me, and thanks for the congratulations.
Speaker 5: How nervous were you last Oh?
Speaker 10: Extremely nervous.
Speaker 9: I don't take any of this for granted, you know, And as you just said, there is a lot going on with our economy. There's a lot going on with housing. And I am just deeply appreciative of the people of Cincinnati.
Speaker 10: They have spoken. Thank you.
Speaker 2: You had nearly seven to ten voters, like like, almost seventy percent support on this thing. And that's striking considering what we've talked about. I've talked about this commissioner release, a Reese and the Denise Treehouse, about property tax rollbacks and the property tax and you know, values are going up ten to fifteen, twenty percent or whatever, and people see them go listen, I only have so much money here.
Speaker 5: I can't continue to give.
Speaker 2: And yet you know, two thirds of voters more two thirds came out and said, yeah, I want to pass this levee.
Speaker 5: What does that say?
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's right. That's huge.
Speaker 9: Right, So my team tells me that that may have been a record for us. We'll double check the final numbers there. But yeah, with all the rollback information going on, because hey, I am a lifelong Cincinnatian and I also understand and experience and have felt my property taxes. But you know, I think people are valuing pre K to twelve education. I think the fact that this is a renewal was on our side. And don't take for granted all of the decisions people have to make in terms of anything from feeding their families and making sure they can pay their property taxes.
Speaker 5: Well, let's talk about that forty eight mil.
Speaker 2: Fifteen is for preschool and the rest the other thirty three millions like college reading, this career readiness programs, things like that. Technology.
Speaker 10: Thanks, right, that's right.
Speaker 9: So this levy, this renew duel levy is done in partnership with Cincinnati Preschool Promise. Cincinnati Preschool Promise is a great partner, and they do get fifteen million of what was decided out of the forty eight million last night. Those go to private providers that we partner with and we work with. The remaining dollars do go to Cincinnati Public School preschoolers. It is a growing population in our school district, and we're really grateful and we believe that the work that we've done over the last several years. I believe this start in twenty sixteen lends itself to why voters are supportive of those younger learners. It also goes to making sure that we have the best technology in our classrooms, that we have high quality instructional materials for our young people. It goes towards workforce development and career and technical education.
Speaker 2: Does some of this money will that be able to offset some of the federal cuts we've seen?
Speaker 9: So, because this is a renewal, right, and we've had this money since twenty sixteen, So this has nothing to do with any possible cuts that could come from the federal government.
Speaker 10: Those are our title dollars.
Speaker 9: While we do use those for programming as well, reading programs, math programs, this is a total separate budget. We want to ride this high from the people of Cincinnati right now and understand that come this spring, we probably will have to deal with some adjustments from the feds.
Speaker 2: Does it show you, too, Seana Murphy that the voters were pretty up on how CPS is running the show in that graduation rates are up college and career and it's jumped as well, and this is like, Okay, they're doing good work. We're going to reward them. Do you see it that way?
Speaker 10: No question.
Speaker 9: And I have been a twenty seven year employee of Cincinnati Public Schools and so very proud of the work that's been done over the years. But especially in this season, where there are difficulties and there are choices that families have and they can make, they continue to choose Cincinnati Public Schools. And I think that's because of the high quality teachers that we have have in our classrooms, the building leadership that we have amongst our principles and assistant principles central office employees, And in spite of having to make in the past year and a half or so eighty million dollars in cuts, we continue to do more and more with less because it is about the kids at the end of the day.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And in addition that, I remember I had Ebolt done many times on the show Sean Murphy and talked about that whole restructuring process, and that was pretty ugly. We're closing schools, were condensing and now that that has come to fruition, you've closed what there's five new middle schools and junior highs. Substantial change. Yeah, and did voters finally see the plan on it, because there are a lot of people are angry about that, as you know, prior to this happening.
Speaker 9: Yes, So let me tell you, in my first year, we opened our first junior high and that idea came out of the district's ad hoc committee. They did that work for over an eighteen month period of time. The people said that they wanted to see junior highs and middle schools, and so we had an opportunity my first year as superintendent to open Schroder Middle School and that's what we did. What we saw with Schroeder Middle School is improved attendance, we saw improved behaviors, and we saw improved academic achievement through the state test. And so this year we opened five additional middle schools and junior highs and working really hard to see the same, if not better results there.
Speaker 2: I know that there are number of schools. Walding Hill's got a five stars from three and a half stars. But you know, the tough question for you is just still fifty two percent of schools are below the state standard. Yes, how do you make how do you make that? Is it possible to move that needle? And I get why. We'll get into the reasons why that is. But is that fixable with money?
Speaker 9: So it's we're not where we want to be and where we need to be, but we're headed in the right direction. We are getting positive feedback. For example, you just asked me about the middle schools and junior highs. We're getting positive feedback from our students, from our staff, and from our families who are actually involved in those schools. And so we look forward to seeing great improvement, marked improvement with our state test scores. So having that two point five stars is an interesting story. There is a range of scores that fall within that two point five mark. We're headed in the right direction in terms of showing improvement there. We'll keep doing that and we will get to that three stars and above where we are self sufficient and looking forward to getting there with the entire staff.
Speaker 2: I think, and I said, there's underlying things we don't see maybe in other areas, in other districts, and that's the absentee problem, chronic absenteism as you know, as rough whit, it's like forty five.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's almost half.
Speaker 2: Of the missing ten days or more. And there's many reasons behind that. But you can't control that as an educator. You can't go and take kids at gunpoint and bring them to school and force them. And that you can't do that, how do you battle that?
Speaker 10: We continue to educate.
Speaker 9: So chronic absenteeism is ten percent of the school year, and it is regardless of if there's an absence that we excuse or not. So for example, I know young people who have sickle cell anemia. Guess what on occasion they may miss a period of time. There are times during inclement weather days where we may say we're going to have school. Well, depending on where you live, because we're covering fifty two neighborhoods and additional municipalities, it may be super clear for the kids going to Hayesport or one day, but then an entirely different look in terms of the streets where the kids in Silverton go to school. And so sometimes a parent may say, you know what, I'm going to keep my kid home because my sidewalk, my cul de sact is not as clear as I needed to be guess what that counts against us in terms of chronic absenteeism. But I support parents making the best decision for their family, so we continue to educate. There used to be a time when I was growing up. Maybe you're out of school for a dental appointment in the morning, and maybe a parent will decide we'll keep them out for the entire school day. We're encouraging parents to bring your kid for that second half of the school day because every hour, every minute counts.
Speaker 2: She's Seana Murphy. She's the CPS head and CPS the superintendent and won a huge levey yesterday. It's as a Renault levee forty eight million dollars. And I mentioned too before we got into the air. It's like, wow, Lakota, that's a half billion, forty eight million dollar renewal. Is nothing compared to a half billion dollar levee. And that's I don't know how you overcome that. I really really don't mean you've followed because it's your business shop followed it.
Speaker 5: What's your take on it is it's just too much.
Speaker 9: Well, if that were me, it would be immediate conversations starting today with the people of that area, and so I wish them the best.
Speaker 10: It is really hard work, really tough work.
Speaker 9: I commend the superintendent for putting out there what the need is. That's exactly what we did, and I'm only grateful that the people of Cincinnati said yes to us last night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and yeah, it's a well earned win. But I think it's if you weren't making progress it, it wouldn't.
Speaker 5: Be happening, right.
Speaker 10: I agree with you a thok.
Speaker 5: About chronic captainteism.
Speaker 2: That's scores and there's schools that are our way under failing, and it's a whole host of different problems in the city than it is in the burps.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Well, we do have the number one state in the number one school in Ohio.
Speaker 10: We do have the.
Speaker 9: Best performing arts school. We do have elementary schools that are improving. We do have a school for gifted and exceptional children that enrollment is growing because of some changes that we made with our growth plan. And so we do have athletes who are selling, We have artists who are doing really really well. We are increasing our career and technical education experiences for young people. We have something for everyone, and we have a space for everyone.
Speaker 2: One of the other elements of this too. I wonder how this is IFISF factored at all in the parent's decision. Is another controversial thing with transportation, right taking the seventh and twelfth graders and put them on Metro busses and the like. Was that the right move in retrospect? I mean you had to make that move financially speaking.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so let's start at mister song. Financially speaking, every Yellow Bus student is about three thousand dollars. Every Metro student is about three hundred dollars, and so we had to be fiscally responsible knowing that that was an option. So actually two years ago we put the majority of our seventh graders back on the Metro, and this past year we put our remaining schools maybe there were about four schools or so with seventh and eighth graders and the shift to the middle schools and junior highs, and so we did have some experience in that area. We've worked very closely with Metro. We meet with them and talk with them on a regular and consistent basis. When we do run into problems, hey, we start the conversation and we problem solve together.
Speaker 2: Juvenile crime has been a problem, especially in the summer months when those hands are off. But it's been a year on and we changed the metro cards in order to say you can't come downtown and off hours. This is for school and for school only. What else have you done behind the scenes, Maybe we haven't heard about that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, absolutely, So with the metro cars, we do cut them off a little bit earlier. We do have cars that designate whether a kid should need to transfer. We have reduced it to a minimum number of kids who have to transfer and no more than one transfer. In addition to that, we're a positive school culture district, So we teach, and we reteach and we restore.
Speaker 10: Kids make mistakes. People make mistakes. They do mess up.
Speaker 9: Sometimes it's a particular population of the student body that it's very visible for. But I am grateful for the community partners who have helped us in reducing some of the issues that we saw two years ago, three years ago. And so we'll continue to partner, we continue to work on it, and we continue to work together.
Speaker 10: It takes all hands on decks.
Speaker 2: You're going to solve it by any means, and there's going to be a certain percentage you're not going to be able to reach. It's just human nature. But I think people voters probably appreciated the fact and that nuance that improvements were being made. Now is it's still too high? Yeah, but again I look at it and say, there's only some that you can control. I mean a lot of this happens at home too. You can't go at people's houses and raise the kids either.
Speaker 9: I feel like this worked with young people in terms of getting them educated as a home school community partnership, and when that breaks down, then we have trouble. Right now, I am very, very encouraged by the level of communication with home, with school, with community. We will continue to dig into that and make this city the best city it can be.
Speaker 5: All Right, take got another ten years. What happens in the next ten years?
Speaker 9: Yeah, So, so the next ten years, guess what think about those three year olds? Okay, they'll be thirteen in their middle school days, which is the area that we're working to develop and strengthen. It should be a better outlook for them. Then that means they're headed to high school, and then we look towards graduation day. My favorite days of school. There are two, the first day of school and graduation day. There's nothing more fulfilling than seeing a young person go across that stage, get their diploma and head into being employed and listed in the military or enrolled in the college or university of their choice, or.
Speaker 2: Trade school or trade school. Absolutely big proponent of the trades myself. I'm involved with groups that do that, and I know personally for Sam because of the group I was in till recently, in Spirit of Constructions, we are programs in Woodward and it's like in thirty something schools right now, because I mean, let's face it, we lose lost so many kids, generations of kids because we only taught one way to learn. And now it's like applied mathematics or physics or all the things that you would learn. Now I can touch it seat and feel it. I have an incentive to go to school. I feel like I'm connected now and not, you know, some sort of freak because I don't understand when we put numbers and letters together like I did with algebra, I'm like, I'm out. I don't know what that means.
Speaker 10: No, you're living out your dream. You're not what you want to feeling to you.
Speaker 9: And I was blessed to be able to start eleven years at Woodward Career Technical High School where we train kids and how technologies feel, building construction fields and advanced manufacturing.
Speaker 10: We grew that out.
Speaker 9: This year we added entrepreneurship. You know why because the kids that I want to know how to be an entrepreneur business and we are looking forward to adding even more programming in terms of having automotive is another area that kids are asking all that stuff back, bringing those pieces back one of the back.
Speaker 2: One of the biggest mistakes I think was doing to farming that out and not that you know, the Oaks system is great, but you know, having an in school is good thing. We got to get on a you do to Seanna Murphy, CBS Superintendent, thanks again for coming in.
Speaker 10: Congradulation, pleasure. Thank you for showing me with.
Speaker 5: News on the way and Julie on the job next seven hundred.
Speaker 8: Helping you navigate the rocky path the fulfilling employment. Here's our career sure, Julie Balki.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she jumped on the shevery Wednesday morning, a little career tune up and I think today, Julie, this would be a great day to in the office or workploaw whatever it is, talk about the election a lot to your co core and get take a firm stand on one side or the other and espouse your political views and call them stupid for announcing it your way.
Speaker 5: I think that's a great strategy.
Speaker 7: It really is where where put flags up on your desk, where your hat you're starts this pumping these people taunt people.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I would totally think about doing that right now. Like you know, if you're a Democrat and you want, i'd be like, you know, getting someone's face and then if you're a Republican you lost and yelling at people how you're ruining the country.
Speaker 5: I think that's a good I think.
Speaker 2: That's solid, a solid strategy for workplace, the workplace environment.
Speaker 5: I think it's a good idea you have. Some people will be doing that.
Speaker 7: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, let's not what's not what's not?
Speaker 6: Say we did?
Speaker 5: My dad used to say, good lord, there's people that do that stuff. I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: All right, So Amazon's laying off like fourteen thousand corporate employees. We're back to the AI topic. The biggest corporate job cuts in history. I believe of Amazon they could affect in the upwards of thirty thousand employees. So you cut me on fourteen thousand, it's going to affect thirty thousand overall. And it's not just unique to Amazon Metas did it, Microsoft, Google. Tons of companies are doing Kroger, maybe for different reasons. I don't know if that's AI related or not, but the bottom line is companies can grow to the revenue with fewer employers because of AI. That's really what's going on here.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's interesting because we have all these these several things that are true at once that are conflicting. One of the things that I was reading this article about the Amazon laos in fourteen thousand, now, like you said, but up to thirty thousand. It's so that here's their official statement. We want to get even stronger by further reducing bureaucracy, removing layers, and shifting resources to ensure we're investing in our biggest bet and what matters most to our customers, curt and future needs. It's so interesting because I think, you know, you push that too far, you won't have many customers because people won't be able to afford what it is you're selling.
Speaker 6: You know, what are we doing?
Speaker 7: And I get the idea of every company I was reading, you know, all this, all these companies saying we're going to continue to grow, including Walmarts saying we're going to continue to grow, but we're going to keep our employee count flat, which means AI. Of course, the companies have it fully figured out how to use it, but it also means shifting more work onto the people that are left onto the people that are left behind, and people are already saying I've had enough, I'm highly stressed. I don't want to take time off. I want to hang on to this job, and so it turns into a workforce that is an essence, thank you star going to have another right, and that is a really really, really long term, bad long term strategy because people aren't humans, you know, kind of this guy that came out and said the quiet part out loud a couple of months ago talking about AI, and he said, yeah, I'm looking forward to replacing people with AI because robots don't talk back, robots don't take time off. So I'm like, okay, you know that's really because we talk about the challenge of leaving a workforce, the challenge of managing the challenge of dealing with people's issues and problems, the stuff that if you are if you've got a warehouse full of robots or just a fully automated warehouse, you don't have to deal with those things. You're dealing with things that can be fixed, and they can be fixed without dealing with the gray areas people they fill off on time they work, and so that's there's almost like this this giddiness with some company leaders saying how far can we push this? But you're you're also you're also forgetting that when people are unemployed, homeless, have nothing, they can't buy yourself. Yeah, so what are we answer? It's how do you know, how do you strike that?
Speaker 6: Right now?
Speaker 7: I certainly don't have any answer, but it's a big question I think we need to deal with.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 2: I think the dynamic of automation makes stuff cheaper because it's cheaper than labor. And I'm not saying that is to be careless or cruel. That's just the fact of it, right, is it?
Speaker 5: Ai? You're right, it doesn't.
Speaker 2: There are no sick days, there's no hey, my my kids home, I got to stay home. You know, you do need people to do it, but you know, for people to say okay, well this is it. You know, we're going to have to we're going to get rid all of these jobs and stuff. I'd say the global perspective, big picture is, Look, there's always been technicologtical shifts, right, There's always been a game changer out there.
Speaker 5: Ais latest to that.
Speaker 2: You know how many people lost their jobs when the automobile came along. That we're in, you know, the livery business and livery and you know, horses and barns and hay farmers and okay, horse are going away. We've got the automobile. It just creates a new sector of jobs, that's all.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it does, but I think it's going to create less jobs.
Speaker 6: It'll be interesting.
Speaker 7: But when you look also at the demographics, fewer people. I mean that birth rates are down and integration of courses down, and so the number of people to do those jobs is.
Speaker 6: Going to be less.
Speaker 7: So we have to see how this is. We have to see how this is going to play out. But it's really really confusing. Look, if I was eighteen or twenty two, or my job is going away. It's like everybody I talked to, no one knows which way to turn, and all the experts I follow, Oh, are kind of or a little a little uh loss too when it comes to what do you tell people? What do you tell people to learn? What do you tell people to marre? Yeah, it's just it's a very interesting shift. And we see read another article that was talking about how many new college grads because we've talked about for the bottleneck of the last couple of years, but new college grads not being able to find any what we used to call white collar jobs, and they are, they are switching. There's a movement to say, you know, I got to work and maybe I take and reskill toward the trades. And so there's there's and it's healthy in some ways, but we really are in the ugly parts of it where we have there's all these competing factors that are really they.
Speaker 10: Have people stopped.
Speaker 7: That's not just twenty five year olds, but it's forty five and fifty five year olds that still need to work, don't have the luxury of retiring.
Speaker 2: Julie belcair Career Sure up on the Scotsland Show seven hundred WW the Big AI moment here at Amazon laying off fourteen thousand effect thirty thousand jobs a bunch of big tech companies are doing it, and I think it's interesting that this is what the manufacturing industry went through the eighties, seventies and eighties, and that is robotics coming in and replacing factory jobs and eventually that those jobs got farmed out. But now the white collar folks are seeing it because my parents blue collar folks. They're like, hey, you're going to school, you have no choice. Okay, I got thought through it. But at the same time, I look at it, going, yeah, this is what they went through back in the seventies and eighties with automation. This is just AI now taking white collar jobs. So it used to be blue collar. Now white collar jobs are getting hit by this.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and so you.
Speaker 7: Think it's this fur demarcation between blue collar jobs and white collar jobs.
Speaker 6: How does the dogs? How do we call them jobs?
Speaker 5: Their jobs?
Speaker 7: And yeah, if you are technically skilled, if you love working with your hands, if you've got that, you may be an engineer. You also might be an automachanic. And that's okay. I think we have to get we have to get our head out of this away from this idea that there's one path in this country to what we call success because that those days are long gone. Just to ask anybody who's out there with a four year degree, who's been out of school for two years or less, how they're feeling about this this path to you know, this school, this golden brick road to success that they feel like they were promised. You know, there are a lot of cases are just they're so demoralized and just can't seem to get a toe hold in the market. And it's just, you know, it's it's I wish I had the one you know, I wish I had the one answer.
Speaker 2: But well, I'll bring it, Julie. I'll bring this back to politics for a second.
Speaker 5: With mom.
Speaker 2: Danny went into New York City. It's a lot of gen Zer's younger millennials, and these are young professionals, you know, world enough. Remember back in the you know, like in the eighties when you had the Reagan Republicans, it took Wall Street and everything else and greet Is Good and Gordon Gecko and that was a huge wave and no one, Oh my god, these young people and they want conservatism.
Speaker 5: I don't know what that is.
Speaker 2: Fast forward a couple of generations, and that's kind of what's happened in New York, and if you look at that effect also Jersey, Virginia, hell leaving here in Cincinnati, we saw Anderson Township flip blue, Fortel school Board flip blue. So it's not just an outlier. They're the big margins that city council, in particular, Raftet pure Voult won by despite all the you know, the crime issues and the connective communities and Hyde Park and all that stuff. The big picture on this when it comes to job, I think there's just a bunch of young people are angry and pissed off and are so desperate they'd vote for a socialist because there's a promise of a better life with them that they're not seeing right now. I think that's translating to what we're talking about here, and that I did everything I was supposed to go. I went to college's got a degree. Now I've got debt, I can't afford anything. I've got roommates. I should be living on my own. I'm frustrated. I'm taking it out on capitalism. Is that kind of what's going on?
Speaker 7: Yeah, there's definitely some of that because the young people, when you look at so this past summer we reached that mark for Gen Z out numbered boomers at work, and so every day that goes by more I mean duh, more older people die and younger people become adults, and so the world they grew up in, the world they see right now is very different than the one you and I saw. And they don't feel like they can own a house, they can do this, they can do that, and they're angry and they aren't getting married, they aren't having kids. I mean, there's a lot of that stuff that goes on, and anything that the older generations do that just feels like we're patting them on the head and say just work harder, you know, feels.
Speaker 5: Like right now, right I'm ready working.
Speaker 2: I've got a job, I got side hustles, I got roommates. I can't work any article. And not only that, health insurance is a mess. I can't afford that. I got college dead, I got loans, I've got all this overhead. I just can't seem to save any money and get had. I totally get that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, and that's that's what we're starting to see that. And I think politically it's just fascinating to watch because as you see this generation get older and become more aware of what's going on around them, like what their possibilities and opportunities are. They will become more active, whether it's in voting, whether it's running for office, just like we talk about in the smaller microcosm of the world, the workplace. It's what I always say, the more younger people get into leadership positions, the more they will embrace hybrid work. They will reject return to the office. They will they will do things their way, and that works in the bigger picture as well. And so it's their world.
Speaker 6: I mean that.
Speaker 7: Boomers, you know, we're going to die sooner than they are, and so they look around and say, it's the world. What's the world I want it to be? And of course we're going to and shake our heads, just like the generations ahead of us did. But it's you know, there's no turning that back around.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I know it works, right.
Speaker 2: It's like the younger generation takes over and it's supposed to offend the sensibilities of older generation. So that's the way it's always been. I accept that, and I realize I'm the part of the back half of that. And watch, Okay, well, as your turnout to screw things up, and then you know, in thirty years your kids will be crapping on what you did, and I'll probably go the other way, and so it goes.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, that's right. You know, it'd be interesting to have a crystal ball and look ahead. Not sure i'd want to, you know, I got to go both sides.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just doing an interesting experiment to see what happens to New York with socialism, because those promises are I think they're just promises, you know, all the stuff he wants to impose. I don't think it's going to work, but I get I get the desperateness of young people going listen, I just I'm tired of the same bs.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, yeah, and to feel like and when we see this at work. So one of the ways that organizations are really failing here is they're still leading from the top down, pats on the head, I'll tell you what to do, instead of engaging with and getting the ideas of everybody. And that's what the younger generations want. They do have good ideas, and it is their workplace they're building, and so anything that smacks of I'll tell you what to think I'll tell you what to do, do as I say, not as I do, is immediately rejected by the younger generations. They're so they can snip out in authenticity so quickly. Where we, you know, frankly kind of did.
Speaker 6: What we were told.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: It's definitely a cultural shift in America's driving with the AI thing is I think the next thing is like, well, wait a minute, I did it on a sister, I got a degree, and now I'm gonna get a reply cake at a job because AI. And that's going to cause people to act the way they did when it comes to voting and getting involved in the in the process and those two that are tied together. It's workplace and also your vote. Julie Bouki our career Shirpound the Scott Sloane Show every Wednesday morning.
Speaker 5: She's at the Bauki Group. She's a career coach and consultant. She and her team ready to go to work for you. If you're trying to navigate these things, She's got you. Jewels, all the best.
Speaker 2: Have a great week, all right, with that news update in just minutes here on the Big one seven hundred WLW veryly as the election fallout.
Speaker 5: I'll have more on this.
Speaker 2: Jeff Weckbach here from Coloring Townships, the administrator there. They a levy their past and they've been trying to do this for like ten years to try and a new police levey for Cole Raine Township. I know we focused a lot on the actual job of politicians, right and whether it's city council or the mayor's office or whatever. But we had a lot of financial issues out there, money issues and initiatives, and the CHLORI one passed. They just had Seanna Murphy on about a half hour ago. An hour ago, actually, Seawan was in studio CPS superintendent about their big win and you look at what happened in places like Lakota, the loss big that was I think was just too big an ask for the folks in Lakota quite honestly, a half billion dollars versus forty eight million for Cincinnati, and that was just a renewal. But he's coming up in just a few here we'll talk about the financial side of that thing, and also kicking around what happened last night with Aftad Pueraval not only winning but also winning by almost eight and ten voters voted for Aftad Puerval, despite what happened to the chief, despite the crime, despite the violence, despite the connected communities in Hyde Park. He overwhelmed by an overwhelming margin, and certainly by all stretching accounts, that is a mandate eight out of ten voters.
Speaker 5: Question is, now, how do you with that?
Speaker 2: You know, do you simply go, Okay, we're going to continue to do the way things we're doing with crime and just let things slide. And apparently voters didn't care about that. In granted, you know, some people will portray Cincinnati as a dystopian hellhole and all near all fifty two neighbor it's not. It's certain sections at certain times in particular crimes. But these high profile crimes definitely hurt Cincinnati and help it hurts the people who want to build on there. At a gentleman on yesterday, they want to shot that video around the nightclub and you know, finding a gun laying in the in the grass literally steps away from the shots were fired. This is a guy trying to invest in downtown and build and make affordable housing and everything else. And you know, when you have that in your backyard, it makes it awfully tough to rent. So those are the uphill battles this new consul is facing, and all the other thing too, is not really a new council. Two people are new because of the two seats that are missing. Everything pretty much stayed the same. I think that's the most interesting takeaway here. We'll get into that much more just ahead, as the fall of continues this Wednesday, plus the death toll and Louisville with the ups crash yesterday late yesterday afternoon and early evening is now at nine. Governor Bscher saying there's still sixteen people on accounted for. I got can you imagine lays down all this and more news in just minutes, Sloaney, I'm the home of the best Bengals coverage seven hundred WWT Cincinnati.
Speaker 8: You want to be an American Scott Flom show.
Speaker 2: On seven hundred w Welvet coming off for big election last night, A big shocker, of course, across the border. It came to the political party in control. Let me the Democrats all the way from the east coast in Jersey, all the way through Anderson Township and school boards. More on that later on, but those are some interesting Levy issues out there in Cole Rain last year handled some fifty thousand calls of service last year a number of high profile crimes as well. And in the past two attempts of voters in Colerain Township did not approve a funding levee for police. Yesterday, fifty three percent of voters said yes, yes, we need a police levey. Jeff Weckbox is here is the administrator of Coloring Township. Welcome to the show. Good morning, and congratulations, Hey Sat, thanks for having us. Yeah, yeah, I appreciate it. It's been more than a decan, I believe since the last level was approved. So the last one, as I recall, five year funding Levey, and you stretched that out twice as long as it should have been. Why did it win this time?
Speaker 11: You know, that's a great question. I think we listened after the past two failures and we heard a lot of feedback from the residents about where we should be prioritizing funding and what we should be putting dollars toward. And we took that to heart and we put a lot of our dollars from our general fund into our police departments. And you know, we then started to focus on making sure that we were appropriately responding to crime with the resources we had, and I think that that certainly helped letting the residents see that our level of service is where they wanted it to be, so that they could trust us to continue to provide that level of service for five more years.
Speaker 2: But you think too that, you know, fifty thousand calls from service is pretty significant for the size of coal Rain, and what's been happening when the residents call nine point one has been staffing issue. Have people noticed that, like, hey, we need to fund the police department here because the service times are getting Has that been an issue there?
Speaker 11: Yeah, I'd say that's probably a little bit of what was going on. So after the last two levees, we did have to make some cutbacks in terms of what we responded to and how we could respond with our current officer complements and when you break down shift schedules and all that fun stuff and different designations, we typically run about six officers on the street at any one time, and so when you start to do the simple map on fifty thousand calls a year, you know our officers are just responding from call to call to call, and not all calls are created equal. Some calls are going to require two to three officer responses, some are going to require one. And you know, the priority is always going to be the response to the calls that are going to have the greatest impact on safety. And so that may have meant that some of our lower level calls we're getting pushed down on sort of the schedule, and we were responding to them when we were able to, as opposed to immediately.
Speaker 2: And as it's approved, I believe you're going to get seven more officers. There's additional patrol beat that will happen, more traffic enforcement and obviously is what you're talking about, faster response times and quicker turnarounds when it comes to solving cases or working cases, and you can be a little bit more pre out, proactive.
Speaker 5: Give some breathing room here.
Speaker 2: Relative to the seven officers, how quickly can you get them on the ground and what's that timeline of returning.
Speaker 11: We've got a great team internally that because of some of the culture things that they've done, they've been out and about and I have full confidence that they're going to be able to recruit and fill those positions pretty quickly, probably within three to six months we'll be able to have those positions filled and then you're looking at another three months or so to actually get them up to speed and getting those officers deployed into our community. So within the year, I fully expect we'll be up and have those some positions all filled.
Speaker 5: Well, what's the patrol beat? What is that?
Speaker 11: Yeah, so right now we have five dedicated patrol beats. We're going to be creating a sixth. What this is going to do is allow us to keep a car more in Western coal Raine. Right now, if there is a call that requires a second car to respond to, oftentimes we're having a pool from different parts of the community. This is going to allow us to keep an officer out there more frequently. So by having that extra patrol beat, just the extra boots on the ground to respond to crimes and be responsive and proactive in.
Speaker 6: What we do.
Speaker 2: Jeff Weckbach, Administrator for Colorine Township and the Levy Pass there. Third time is the charm, I guess, so you're going to get more policing, more money for police. Do you think that what's happening in Cincinnati and the city relative to crime there and high profile crimes and the fact that you're two hundred cops short and a lot of candidates made a lot of hay out. Didn't get elected, but made hay on. It certainly got everyone's attentions, been the big story for the second half of the year's crime in Cincinnati. Did that help voters in Chlorine Township push them in this direction?
Speaker 10: Think?
Speaker 11: You know, I'm not sure what the individual voters were going through as they were kind of at the ballot box. Sure, certainly, I know we we like to focus on making sure that we're keeping our community safe, right, and so that was the biggest message we were bringing home is that this this levee, if it were to pass, is going to help not only keep col Raine safe, but help us become a safer community in.
Speaker 6: The long run.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and you know, my expectation is we'll be doing that by adding some police officers to the force and being able to retain what we've got.
Speaker 2: I think if being able to call right and you look at that and go, wow, if we neglect funding our police services, that that could be where we're had. I could totally see someone Chlorine thinking that way, because I mean, you mentioned the staffing shorts is alike it's hurt your ability to investigate them and solve some of these whole high profile crimes. Not that you're not, but it just takes longer. You can't be as proactive. And when you look at what's going on in the state, I can't help as a resident going all right this, So you know, we probably need to fund the police here. We don't want to run the problems that they're having in the city. I think voters maybe in the polling place made that connection for your talking. I don't know what forty eight bucks a year whatever, whatever it is, like that seems to be worth it to me.
Speaker 5: It's kind of a low buy in.
Speaker 11: Yeah, And you know, at the end of the day, we've got some specialized units, right, so we've got the impact units. Their focus is on those high profile crimes. And over the past several years they've taken enough bent and al and other things off the streets in col Rain that that could have really really harmed our residents. You know, the volume that they've actually gotten off the streets was enough that could have killed every resident in col Rain if everybody were to ingest it all at the same time. So they've certainly had an impact to the name of their unit. And you know, because of this levee, we're gonna be able to continue to do more of those things to be proactive and actually curb the crime, to hopefully keep it all out of Colrain.
Speaker 5: Are you going to see more of that then as a result of this.
Speaker 11: I think so yeah. I mean you're going to see any time that you're ranning off right, you're going to see sort of an uptick in some of your numbers, just initially because you are making more stops, you are finding and solving more of those cases up front. And then the idea is that the message starts to get out right that if you're going to do bad things in col Rain, you're going to be found and so hopefully then that just naturally deters that crime from our community.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is in a rear view. But if the levee had failed instead of passed yesterday, what kind of cuts what would have you seen?
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean, our our trustees were going to have some pretty significant conversations about what they would have had to do, because you can't still a four to five million dollar gap just overnight without some major programmatic changes. If they wanted to do that all in the police department. That would have been probably a third of apartment. I don't think that would have been the direction they would have gone, which would have meant that they would have had to look at other things, right, So that's taking a look at you know, whether that's our road program or our park and cutting back there, or cutting back and what we do in terms of senior services. There was a whole litany of things that they would have had to wade through and make policy decisions on. So basically looking at anything that is supported through the general fund is what they would have.
Speaker 5: Had to have done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it would have been ugly, I think, and I think voters saw, hey listen there, they stretch this thing twice as long as it should have been. And of course we know the cost of everything is going up. You have not only officers to pay and benefits to give, but also there's a lot of material things like like you know, patrol, you equipment, the hard stuff too.
Speaker 5: The price of that has gone through the roof.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Well, and we didn't have body camps back in twenty fourteen when we left Cast eleven, so I mean even that, Yeah, and we've seen those costs go up, you know, year over year. But those are things that just weren't on our books that are now now.
Speaker 2: This thing passed Jeff black Bock fifty three percent. Not it wasn't a It was enough to win obviously too, but there wasn't a mandate. Right, What would you say to the forty seven percent of people who voted against us, how do you prove to them this investment was worth it?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 11: I think what we're going to do is we're going to prove that this investment was worth it over the next five years. This this levee was one that sunsets in five years, so you know, the mandate and the message which I actually sent a message out to our team this morning, was just that we've got five years to show that, you know, we're one of the best police departments in this country and proved of these residents that they're worth every dollar that they're paying. And I fully believe and expect that our apartment is going to come through and that they're going to do amazing, incredible work because I've seen it day in and day out, even in response to the past two failures, that you know, we're going to make this thing happen. And we're going to make make cole Rain a better place.
Speaker 2: I don't know if either one of us will be around then, but in you know, five ten years, as just saying extend your stistics expires, how do you how do you sell it at that point? And it'll be entirely different political feel I'm sure too, but you know you learn from the first two.
Speaker 5: How do you not do this again?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 11: So the nice part is at that point it would be a renewal levy in five years, right, So that's a little bit of a different conversation and increase. And beyond that, we'll be looking hard at our track record over the past five years and being able to point to the results improving what we did with those dollars that the public can trust it to us to do what we're promising here, which is to make Colrain in a safer place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you said, you know, certainly it's not a hotbed for crime, but we're starting to see things happen in Chlorine that we haven't seen in years past, and I think that concerns long time residents there, especially as you get older, you're worry about public safety a lot more than if you're younger, just because you're more risk averse.
Speaker 5: That fits about right on the west side there in Chlorine.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and crime.
Speaker 12: Changes between crime change over the decades, and it'll continue to change and evolve, and that's you know, part of our mission is to make sure that we're changing and evolving with it, we're responding in the best way.
Speaker 2: What's the biggest evolution you've seen over the past decade. Let's say, when it comes to crime, it's.
Speaker 11: Different these days. I'd say that there's been a lot of more property crimes we've seen in Coal Rain, and that's natural when you've got a very busy retail corridor. You know, some of the crimes that we've seen with things like the fake calls for school incidents, so that's certainly been surprising, and those that youat up a lot of resources and so, you know, figuring out how we can better address things like that, it's going to be one of the challenges that we're going to have.
Speaker 2: As an aside, it seems like I haven't heard as many of those these days. Are we starting to figure out and separate in the fact from fiction?
Speaker 11: No, I mean, we take every call that we get sure serious as possible right, because if you don't, then you don't want that.
Speaker 2: It seems like I'm just saying it seems like the slotting thing. For a while, man, it was going on. It was like once a week, twice a week in some cases. And we haven't heard one of those instances in a while, or are we just not reporting on it because it's become commonplace it's not news anymore.
Speaker 11: Well, I mean, whether it's swatting, bomb threats, those types of things, right, there have been those incidents. I think it's just what's going on in the community that day is so what gets the headlines.
Speaker 6: Right, Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, sadly it's a tremendous waste of resources, right because you do have to respond if it's really suspect it's not, and that ties up a whole They just cost more money than money you don't have. Unfortunately, you've got some breathing room now to add seven more officers and create an additional patrol bead and see more traffic enforcement out there. Give residents who voted for this a sense that like, hey, this is my tax dollars at work. I'm reluctant to pay more in taxes, but I realize that we have to fund the basic services lest we fall into disrepair. And once you do that, it doesn't become attractive and owner of property values fall and it's not good for the community. So third times a charm in Cole Rain. He is Jeff Weckbach, administrator there in Cole Rain Township. Congratulations on the big, big win last night.
Speaker 11: Yeah, well, thank gott. I mean my expectation is this is a big win for the community. So we're going to put these dollars to work and we're going to make this place a better place.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I appreciate it. Be well, take care.
Speaker 3: Ye.
Speaker 2: It feels as more as politics might get out of control, and you know, we send someone to DC or Columbus or our local school board maybe and you feel like, wow, this is not the person, This is not what I voted for. A lot of people have that sense right now, and which is why you're seeing a kind of a mini repudiation of Trump to some degree, but largely because of the economy. And the main issue is your pocketbook. It's always been that way. Pocketbook is very very important, and if you feel like you're doing worse than you were a year ago, you're going to take it out on the incumbents and we're seeing that across the country today. That may change another year next elections, like who knows, But at least in this here, I can control that kind of money. I can control my police department. I don't want to see what's happening in Cincinnati happening here. And I understand the values of those who live in urban Cincinnati much different than that live in westside Coleraine Township. But people see that and go, don't. I don't want that coming here, And I think that's why people just kind of bit the bullet and voted for this thing.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 2: Conversely, you know there's a lot of school of these passed as well. I look at what happened to Lakota kind of in my neck of the woods there, and that doesn't surprise me, because, man, half a billion dollar ask is a big, big ask. That's a lot of money. And I understand that it's been kind of misreported that these some of these buildings that they just build in the nineties have to come down.
Speaker 5: That's not true.
Speaker 2: There's some I guess, some annexation that's happening and improvements that were made in the nineties, but These are buildings that go back, you know, fifty to seventy years, So it's not like they're knocking over new buildings that were just built, you know, twenty years ago, thirty years ago, which is still pretty old, and building new ones now. These are way past their way past their expiration date. And yeah, when you let it go like that and don't vote for the levee, it's just going to continue. Next one will be even bigger because they want to fix it all and won't fell swoop. I think that also sends a message to I mean, look at CPS. Their levey issue passed and passed quite handily as well, because you know, despite what we think of CPS, they made some inroads here, maybe not to our liking in particular. And if you live in an area where the school district you probably look, you down your nose at it. Not all the schools and CPS are trash by far. There's a lot of good schools to produce good results. Biggest issue you have in the city of Cincinnati more so than in the suburbs. In fact, his attendance. I don't know how you control that. If you're the school, you can't force the kid to go to school. We know you have to go to school, but it's not like the teachers and administrators can show up at somebody's house and drag them kicking and screaming to school. That's a huge issue there. It certainly is an interesting election to follow. Will continue know Cunningham will take over twelve or sixty day. I will point out the fact that all the candidates that Willy endorsed failed, So yeah, we have another elections local election cycle. He did back Trump and Trump once, so I'll give him. Okay, I got that one, but local politician. I got Willy's endorsement. How's that working out for you? He's like the Bengals of politics. Scott Sloan seven hundred w W.
Speaker 5: Yelling at me.
Speaker 10: Your drums are blown out.
Speaker 6: But.
Speaker 10: I love there with me. What your doctor was saying about Peppa Pig the other No, it was.
Speaker 2: My So I'm had my foot surgery and I'm doing a little physical therapy on that. Get my proprioception back then? Wait the what proprioception? Okay, proper reception working on my appropriate exceptions.
Speaker 10: How's your approprio exception sitting there?
Speaker 5: I've always had good propri eception.
Speaker 10: Good appropriate exceptions appropriate, very good.
Speaker 2: Uh No, there was a conversation with eaves Drop and I Love being a Fly on the wall and they were talking about one of the pt uh the therapists was talking about it's just like a Peppa Pig, which makes you.
Speaker 5: Know what my curiosity pigs. I listened.
Speaker 2: It was like he's like, I don't know how they get away with this. I don't think it's like ultra you know, right winger. But uh, He's like, I just every time I see the pigs, it looks like something phallic. And now they got a new one is the oldes Grandpa pig and he's got your chin hair and it looks like it's the hair on.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 10: Why is Pepa Pig so controversial?
Speaker 2: Penis, I don't know. Is it the new Teletubbies? Is that why? So you're theme we would put.
Speaker 13: Pepa on a different level than Teletubbies, like she's a little bit higher up.
Speaker 2: I will say, Tellotubbs the all time creepiest show. It was just creepy.
Speaker 10: It was awful.
Speaker 2: My kids were that age when it came out and they didn't They're like, I don't want to watch the baby Yeah, it was just creepy, just weird, just a weird.
Speaker 13: I've never done drugs, but I would imagine that watching Teletubbies isind of like you're on some sort of drug. I'm like, this doesn't feel like it's of this world. And what were they anyways, aliens.
Speaker 5: I'm just trying to how he's see.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at images of the Peppa Pig and the whole family right now, and I just don't see the drunk looks like that.
Speaker 5: You may have to see problems with your proper reception.
Speaker 13: Nonetheless, that's just another penis commercial on these airwaves.
Speaker 10: Just keep them coming.
Speaker 2: A bunch of guys dancing around in some square to Farmers Markets, singing about some drug.
Speaker 10: But we have so many on here. Just add another one to the meg all.
Speaker 5: Right, let's not. Let's not. You're happy that the Dodgers won the World Series. I don't.
Speaker 2: It's almost sense and anything. Ever, I don't understand how that is my brain marked by the Dodgers. That makes it okay if the Dodgers won the World Series. No, it doesn't.
Speaker 13: So I was salty and I was rooting for for the Dodgers as an angry Ruds fan because I'm like, all right, if you're gonna lose to anyone, it.
Speaker 10: Might as well be the World Series champs.
Speaker 13: So this whole run of the World Series, I rooting for this team and I'm glad they got it done in Game seven was awesome.
Speaker 10: It gave us everything.
Speaker 5: I I stay up to watch. It was really really good. I mean the fact that h.
Speaker 2: They wound up tying it in their half of the ninth and then they pull it and then it's extra innings and.
Speaker 13: Can we talk about how incredible the Dodgers pitching is ya Amoto?
Speaker 10: Do you think he wants to play for the Cincinnati Reds.
Speaker 5: Diould you like that? Their lineup is killer?
Speaker 10: It's amazing what money can buy?
Speaker 5: Was gonna win it because it was like Ronny A.
Speaker 2: Kirk Gibson back in the day, its being hurt job and like, oh man, this is gonna be awesome finish.
Speaker 10: For the Jays got it done in Toronto.
Speaker 5: I was la wanted to win really well, grown up?
Speaker 2: Were you mad at the Dodgers Because I'm old enough to know when that when so I was a I don't know as a kid when Toronto got franchised.
Speaker 5: Okay, I grew up in Buffalo, so it's like ninety minutes, just like.
Speaker 10: Oh, that makes sense. Done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I was like a Yankees fan and that too grown and a Reds fan has always been my National League team.
Speaker 5: I love the Reds more than both those teams.
Speaker 2: But I was like, okay, he kind of got into the Jays because there's a proximity there, and then they're Triple A teams in Buffalo, so okay, yeah, yeah, I was kind of pulling for the Ja's a little bit.
Speaker 10: The numbers.
Speaker 5: I just always always hated the Dodgers.
Speaker 13: I feel like a lot of people do hate the Dodgers, but damn, they're so good. They're so entertaining. I love watching these guys play. Is so impressive on every single level.
Speaker 5: Are good.
Speaker 10: The World Series numbers are.
Speaker 13: In, Yes, twenty five point nine million people tuned into Game seven.
Speaker 5: What does that mean.
Speaker 10: It's a lot of people, that's all I know.
Speaker 13: Think about twenty five point nine million people. Okay, it's a lot of people watching.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 5: If that's like, you know, top one hundred.
Speaker 10: I would say that's pretty good.
Speaker 13: More people tuned into that than NBA. Joe Burrow is alive and well, I guess I'm assuming he was at the Bengals Halloween party on Monday night. The dude never posts on social media, so as soon as he posts, Bengals fans go crazy. So go to Joe Burrow's Instagram and read the comments on his latest post, because they do not disappoint. He dressed up as the Joker and the caption says, I did my own makeup and he had a carousel of like four or five different picks. But it's it's the comments that you got to read.
Speaker 5: Really, how good was a makeup?
Speaker 13: He did a pretty good job Joker. I don't think he did his own makeup though. This looks like it was professionally done. Whether it was, I don't know. It just looks like a really good makeup job.
Speaker 2: Got his mom and dad and studio in a couple. I think next week can we talk about that, I'll ask him. Can we break the news about that though? About the Joe Burrow Foundation or are you waiting until they're in studio because they did post it on their social media? Talk about that with the Yeah, they're sponsoring Marty gra this year. I'll be king again and Sarah will be out there, so Martina almost kids.
Speaker 13: I thought that was really exciting. I'm glad to have him a part of it. Yes, So we'll be talking to them soon and that'll be here before you know it. Fat Tuesday, February seventeenth. I'm seeing it this year with our guy. Tom Brenneman.
Speaker 5: No about it too. He wanted to depose me of my kingdom, like.
Speaker 10: You've been here the five months. It's been five months.
Speaker 5: I get fired.
Speaker 10: They're going to make you hang out with me all night, Slowney, you said it, not me. I'm glad that Thomas is here.
Speaker 5: I love Tom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great, But then he started jumping on me because I'm king of MARTI grawl like you just hold you just.
Speaker 13: Sometimes you got to keep people in check around here. You make a comment, you got to get a right.
Speaker 5: He's trying to big leg me.
Speaker 10: He doesn't want to hang out with me for like five hours on stage. I get it. It could be a lot.
Speaker 5: I could totally see that. Sarah is a Snart report this morning. She's ever for me. DNA the kid Christians.
Speaker 10: Got a lot to talk about.
Speaker 5: Why are you delaying the inevitable?
Speaker 13: Well because you asked me about the World Series, so we knocked that out.
Speaker 10: Then we talked about Joe Burrow because it's trending.
Speaker 13: I mean, the Bengals didn't do a whole lot, so there's not a lot to talk about.
Speaker 10: But yesterday morning, they didn't do a whole lot.
Speaker 5: I don't know anything.
Speaker 10: Draft pick.
Speaker 13: Well, Logan Wilson complained about playing for the Bengals, and they said, see us that they sent him down to Dallas to play for the Cowboys, and that's where he's got happy. He's already making videos about how excited that he is to be playing for the Dallas Cowboys, which are just as bad as.
Speaker 10: We are are. We're going from one bad defense to the other.
Speaker 13: So I don't know how this is like a big upgrade, but I guess he knows something in the locker room with the Bengals.
Speaker 5: That there's a lot of guys that are not happy right now.
Speaker 2: Guys now look at it, going wow, this is I get out of here.
Speaker 5: I just got to complain cool asking yes.
Speaker 13: Yes, So in exchange seventh round draft pick in twenty twenty six, did they.
Speaker 10: Even work hard?
Speaker 5: I mean, we don't even know how hard they were working.
Speaker 10: I don't even think that they were at the office.
Speaker 5: We weren't there.
Speaker 10: I don't think they were at the office.
Speaker 5: I guess. I think, you know what, we just need to win.
Speaker 2: The coaches guys up a little bit, and I cleaned clean some things up in practice, and I think we're going to be okay.
Speaker 5: We can win with this group because.
Speaker 10: We've been doing a lot of winning group.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, yeah, I'm.
Speaker 10: So glad the buye is this weekend.
Speaker 13: I can't handle another heartbreaking close loss like that where the defense, the defense loses it for them again.
Speaker 2: I can't get blown out, is what you want? Just go let's go back to the fifty two to three.
Speaker 10: I don't know which one's worse. It's all bad.
Speaker 5: But he's in college football.
Speaker 13: But with Logan Wilson. He was in the locker room yesterday saying his goodbye.
Speaker 5: Well, you need to change a scene, really.
Speaker 10: I think.
Speaker 6: So.
Speaker 10: He told the guys that he's just a phone call away.
Speaker 13: Both Barrett Carter and Demetrius say that Logan was the first to reach out to them when they were drafted and that they think he's a great guy. Yeah, so saving two point five million in capsule.
Speaker 5: Eight, he's out. We got a seventh rounder for next year.
Speaker 10: So WHOA how excited.
Speaker 5: Building on something big, big big.
Speaker 2: I will say that the market though, man, some of the guys that went, you know, like Sauce going to the Colts.
Speaker 5: That's two first round pickture.
Speaker 10: That is a big move for a Well, that's a.
Speaker 5: Big ass root team twenty my first rounder in twenty six and twenty seven.
Speaker 10: Imagining Sauce.
Speaker 13: You're going from like the worst team to the best. Yeah, that was big for him.
Speaker 5: That's pretty break. That's that's pretty big.
Speaker 13: So and he's talking to media, he said he's not seeing our comments on social media.
Speaker 5: Yeah, don't care.
Speaker 10: He's like, I don't care. I'm not looking at the comments.
Speaker 13: He says he doesn't pay attention to the trade rumors, but he says when it comes to losing, he does feel sick for the fans, especially the ones that are showing up and sitting in the stands.
Speaker 10: So at least he's aware.
Speaker 5: And I will say this for our beloved, what do you think of Trey? What about?
Speaker 10: What are we doing? Eight games left with him? And that's it? All this money, he's not even playing at this hit back.
Speaker 2: I guess I think they wanted too much for what they were getting, and then the hip thing may have had an influence as well.
Speaker 10: I'm tired.
Speaker 5: You're tired.
Speaker 6: Yeah, tired.
Speaker 5: And I've said this before, Sarah tired, Sarah Lee.
Speaker 2: I want, I want this team to win, the biggest pimp for the Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 10: I love my Bengals, I do, I always will.
Speaker 2: But this is tough on this day. Is wearing a Cincinnati Reds connect hat. That's how a dune she is with the Bengals.
Speaker 10: Because they're not losing.
Speaker 5: Okay, they're not losing.
Speaker 13: Everyone else is losing right now. Well, we have our I mean I have hopes and of season Sinnati. For this weekend, three guys get hurt on the by this week I wn't. I mean, who's just said, I don't know?
Speaker 5: Did you see this?
Speaker 2: The the top twelve, Yes, the top twelve leaders and miss tackles in the NFL. Yes, singles have the top three and I think number twelve, So four of the top twelve, a third of the worst tackling.
Speaker 10: One think unbelievable is that where we're at one hundred and nine missed.
Speaker 5: It's going to be a record. It's going to be bad.
Speaker 10: This is a historic season, historically bad season.
Speaker 13: Do you think do you think Joe Burrow is standing there on the sidelines like, actually, I'm good over here. He can moke this toe thing for as long as he wants, can't. I mean, no one knows how bad the toe feels except for Joe Burrow.
Speaker 5: I know he's got a thing. Is it's not the toe, it's appropriate reception.
Speaker 13: It's appropriate reception. Yeah, there you go. Wait is that the what is the propriate?
Speaker 5: A proper reception?
Speaker 10: It is the fun.
Speaker 5: It's connected. You don't know what else you got. I do too. I don't want to get into it because I don't want to take away from your brilliance.
Speaker 13: All my brilliance here. I bring so much brilliance to the airwaves. Now, this is just the crap that's trending on social media, in case you're not on there. Like my dad, who knows nothing about Twitter, x, Instagram or Facebook while he's trying to he's trying to learn the more man now that he's in retire.
Speaker 5: It's just so toxic.
Speaker 13: It is very toxic, especially since now the bengalsans are all kind of starting to turn on each other.
Speaker 10: Everybody's arguing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I wish I could just get like the info and not all the drama.
Speaker 13: Tough day, Yeah, tough day for news too, with everything going on in the Levell got me sick to my stomached terrible, and I think those numbers just, yeah, they just keep going up. And now that the now that it's light outside and seeing all the damage, not good.
Speaker 5: Not good.
Speaker 13: Eva McPherson was talking to media yesterday. It just goes to show like how good of a guy Logan Wilson is. He said that they were a bunch of them were supposed going to Disney World together and he's like, well, we'll still keep in touch. She's like, we're still going to see each other a lot, even with him going down to Dallas. Obviously, Eva macpherson not going anywhere, but I would imagine you still go on the Disney World trip.
Speaker 10: That takes a lot of planning to go to Disney World.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, it's not cheap either.
Speaker 13: No, Christopher just went my co host kid Chris. Everything everything is expensive. Yeah, he took his daughters for spring break. Okay, dude, I think like a Mickey Pretzel's going to set you back twenty five bucks.
Speaker 10: I have no interest.
Speaker 2: This would have been in the I don't know. I think we went in the early two in the two thousand, maybe you're yeah, right around there. It was like back then it was like twenty bucks for coke. Oh, forget it, but it's refillable, and you just like gladly hand your money out and go, oh, we have no choice. The mouse makes you just go, oh, here, take my cat. It's like going to Vegas? What am I doing?
Speaker 10: What else are you gonna do? Where else are you gonna go?
Speaker 5: What are you gonna do? What are you gonna do?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 13: Someone who's not showing up. Jermaine Burton missing practice again. I guess there was a practice on Tuesday, and they say he's missed several at this point due to some illness.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Jermaine Burton.
Speaker 5: I think the illnesses he's.
Speaker 10: Probably sick of playing for this team.
Speaker 5: I did notice the worst teams are the more injuries happen.
Speaker 13: My toe hurts. I can't show up. I can't do this anymore.
Speaker 10: This is tough.
Speaker 13: But Tuesday's practice was just for the first and second year of players.
Speaker 10: They say that Joe.
Speaker 13: Burrow was on site though, and he has been pretty available to you know, the guys in the locker room. And it's not like he's hiding or anything. So I don't know, do we miss him?
Speaker 3: Who?
Speaker 10: Right?
Speaker 13: I mean, would the record be any different right now with Joe Burrow? It's not like Joe Blacko's not getting it done. I would say forty two thirty eight points are pretty good.
Speaker 2: The problem is you got a you know, the player personnel guy slash GM. Whatever he does, he doesn't have the autonomy to make moves. It's like they're not going to do anything.
Speaker 10: Fire Duke.
Speaker 5: What are you going to fire Duke and bring another person? I like, I don't know.
Speaker 2: The attitude's got to change, Like you know what, just because our grandfather, yeah, funded the league, basically, it doesn't make us football geniuses. Yeah, we've got to get people in Harris. So we've got to spend money on scouting, we have to spend money on player personnel. We got to spend money on the whole process of getting more quality players in here. And then the Actually, I think it's all some degree of coaching because you know, guys like now cam Sample for example, play fine in college and then he get here and they can't tackle all of a sudden, I like, I don't get that.
Speaker 13: Well, Zach Taylor is speaking very highly of his guy out Golden. He says he's a great coach, he's got a great staff, and he's done great things and he believes in them. This is Zach Taylor's words. So Out ain't going anywhere. So do you think he's going somewhere He's not.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's I don't think it's I don't think it's I really don't.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 5: I think it's al. I think it's way up the food chain there.
Speaker 10: And I do think that there is a problem.
Speaker 13: There is some toxicity in that locker room too, which is said, I don't think there's a whole lot of leadership going on, especially since Zach has been calling the guys out like hey, just looking for someone to step up?
Speaker 5: Who's going to step up?
Speaker 2: He seems like there's some drama, say you got the you know, it's not about the best players, it's about the right.
Speaker 10: Players, right.
Speaker 13: And I think even with Jamar Chase talking about, you know, kind of slipping into that leadership role. Uh, with Joe Burrow being out, I think he's struggling now too.
Speaker 10: And we saw him kind of not melt down, but.
Speaker 13: Obviously very frustrated after that loss to the Bears on Sunday. So they've got to buy this weekend. Then it doesn't get any easier than that. They have to face the Steelers in Pittsburgh. They're going to end the month with the Ravens, and.
Speaker 2: The Bills didn't wind up getting any people, So I think they lost the bye technically. Still, Sarah least in My morning on Keith Crust Show, it's a again the snort report here.
Speaker 5: Not many snorts when your team.
Speaker 10: Sucks, there's nothing really to laugh about.
Speaker 2: Willy is on the way next, he's going to explain why A the candidates he back lost once again. This is true seven hundred The Bengals of Politics, Bill cunning Bill Cunningham. Next, maybe he'll blame Al Golden seven hundred. Don't get other Cincinnati