Speaker 1: This is America's truck and Network with Kevin Gordon.
Speaker 2: Welcome aboard, Thanks for tuning in. Happy Thanksgiving. First of all, I want to give a shout out to all you truckers that are still out on the road, the first responders, hospital staff, anybody that is working through the holidays, especially Thanksgiving, so that the rest of us can enjoy and celebrate with our families. Now, as far as the trucking industry is concerned, any of people that are out on the road and you see these trucks out there, mind you, these are the people that have brought the food to the stores so that you can enjoy that on Thanksgiving.
Speaker 1: They are the ones.
Speaker 2: That are out there bringing the goods to the stores so that you can shop on Black Friday. Also the people that are stocking the individual warehouses and stuff so that Cyber Monday can be successful as well. So when you see these truckers out on the road, realize that they're working while you're having fun, and show them a.
Speaker 1: Little bit of courtesy along the way.
Speaker 2: Now, this is a busy time of the year round Christmas and so on, and a lot of freight is moving. A lot of people are online they're going to different websites buying things online, which is a perfect storm, if you will, for those thieves out there, people that want to steal your identity, and people that want to basically drain your bank account. Coming up in the next segment, we're going to be talking to a cyber security expert, Dave Hatter, about this very topic and as it relates to the trucking industry, the thieves are busy out there. They're always trying to separate you from your money and as well as what we're seeing as far as the trucking industry is concerned as well, American Transportation Research Institute back in October issue a report talking about the cost of cargo theft and what's going on in the trucking industry over well, and it's getting worse as we go on, because thieves are getting better, they're getting smarter, they're getting more slick, if you will, and they're getting very good at being able to figure out different ways of stealing your money and your cargo. According to and again the American Transportation Research Institute, I get this. These are some frightening numbers cargo theft costs the US trucking industry about six point six billion dollars annually or eighteen million dollars daily.
Speaker 1: Eighteen million dollars daily. That is just absolutely astounding.
Speaker 2: Study found that seventy four percent of stolen goods are never recovered, with thefts concentrated near major logistic hubs and states such as California, Texas, Illinois, and Tennessee. So those areas there are ripe for where the thieves are intending to steal as much cargo as they can. Annual theft costs let me see an average of five hundred and twenty thousand dollars per motor carrier and about one point eight million dollars per logistics service providers, So these are This is not jump change. This is something that really needs to be paid attention to and some security measures need to be in place. Cargo is more likely to be stolen as mentioned before, near major freight and logistics hubs in large cities where significant goods are moving on interstate corridors while law enforcement capabilities are strained. Let's see prevention strategies include protecting and monitoring facilities, trucks and trailers.
Speaker 1: I mean that is one of.
Speaker 2: The I guess probably the first line of defense, if you will, making sure that you're you know, locks on the gate, controlling the access into your facility, making sure that anybody that shows up has the proper paperwork. And we'll get into that here shortly as to what is proper paperwork and so on, but you know, putting locks on the trailers, putting making sure that they're parked and well lit places. If you know, if you're off the road and you're by a you know, getting a bite to eat or something like that, try to make sure that your truck is in visioned so that people are not out there, you know, in the dark, you know, being able to steal merchandise.
Speaker 1: It's still the low level type.
Speaker 2: Of thing that is happening out there, but then again you get in some of the sophisticated measures as well. For motor carriers, there are terminals where twenty four percent of the thefts occurred, so at the terminal level itself, stuff being pilfered from there. Logistics services providers, on the other hand, have experienced fifty one percent of the theft as customer pick up locations through strategic schemes. And speaking of which, there were a couple if there have been a couple of high profile schemes so to speak, that have been in the news recently, and one getting into how this is done and so on.
Speaker 1: One of the things.
Speaker 2: That a sophisticated cargo thieves steel Craft whiskey worth one million dollars and Guy Fieri from Food Network tequila was stolen in a double brokering scheme. So these are two very high profile stories that have been in the news. The one involved single malt. Distillers had worked more than a decade to make thieves stole Let me see, thieves who made off with twelve thousand bottles of a craft whiskey and a rare US liquor heightst this summer did more than just snag one million dollars worth of product. They also spirit away nearly half the stock of the single malt that took them a decade to gather. I'm wondering on this one if it was not something of an inside job informing people of where this was going on, and had this happen now in Guy Fieri's situation, the tequila that was stolen, Now, this is the methods that are used. First, thieves will steal a business identity, then they trick shippers into handing over entire container loads. Criminals will go out and create fake online profiles of trucking companies, bid on those jobs they suspect might be valuable, and hire unsuspecting drivers to go ahead and pick those up and then give them a location to send those two In Guy Fieri's situation, the way this particular thing worked, let's see here, two truckloads of tequila were stolen by a company owned by Guy Fieri and Sammy Hagar known as Freight Industry as double brokering.
Speaker 1: So here's what happened. The company's logistic.
Speaker 2: Partner hired a carrier that pre broker the job to another firm, which turned out to be fictitious.
Speaker 1: The imposter carrier used.
Speaker 2: Forged documents, phony emails accounts, and fake phone numbers to appear legitimate. Thieves sent video to supposed breakdown and routine delays update.
Speaker 1: To mask the frauds. So as they.
Speaker 2: Were busy moving this freight from where it was from when they picked it up from the location and were moving it to a different location in a different direction, they had to have some sort of diversion in order to delay that shipment that was supposedly going to as in this case Pennsylvania, So if they could delay that by a few days, it would give them a head start of getting this truckloads, these two truckloads to Los Angeles where it was actually dropped off. And so by delaying this with showing fake breakdowns and fake information in terms of how this traffic is being delayed, it you know, people are unsuspecting. They're thinking, okay, we've ordered this merchandise and it's supposed to arrive on a date certain But if you've ever tracked a package coming to your house, or if you've ever bought anything online, you'll see as you're doing these tracking where it will go to a particular location, it'll stay there, you know'll get there in the morning, and you think, okay, well, you know that's one hundred miles away from here. It'll be here by the afternoon or tomorrow at least. But somehow somewhere along the line in the tracking, it gets delayed and then it doesn't get to you when it's supposed to get there, So you're left waiting for this merchandise. In this instance, they kept informing them that okay, the truck broke down here this is what's going on. You know, don't worry. The truckload's going to be there. And then as it turned out, that truckload was actually never sent in that direction, it was diverted to a different direction. And again this has to do with sophistication, cloning these creating fake websites, And what we'll see coming up and talking with Dave Hatter is that how thieves are getting very clever at just changing certain things, making something look legitimate, making a website look legitimate, making phone numbers look legitimate, making emails look legitimate. Sometimes it's necessary to trust and trust, but verify, maybe making a couple of extra calls, making sure that the person picking this up is actually the person that's supposed to pick this up, and tracking this along the line. So coming up, we're gonna be talking with Dave Hatter, and if you miss any if you can't hang around for that interview, just hit up that iHeartRadio app later on, brought to you by our friends at Rush Truck Centers. I'm Kevin Gordon, America's truck and Network seven hundred Wlwantastic. I've been wanting to have Dave Hatter on this show for months we got tired of winning for his people and my people to get together, so we just decided to do ourselves. Dave Hatter is Cincinnati's top cybersecurity pro. I would say the region's top security pro. But who am I to argue. An enthusiastic tech evangelist, he has more certifications that you can shake a stick at.
Speaker 1: He's regularly featured.
Speaker 2: On Tech Friday, or as I call it, Scare the Hell out of Your Friday, which airs each week at six thirty am on our sister station fifty five KRS in Cincinnati. Dave Hatter, Welcome to America's truck and Network. Appreciate your time.
Speaker 3: Heany, Kevin, thanks for having me on. I'm looking forward to hopefully doing's good out here.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Now, you know, we're going into this Black Friday and then of course Cyber Monday and a lot of the stuff that people need to do in terms of protecting themselves so they don't get scammed and all this sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: All these things are good.
Speaker 2: But one of the reasons I wanted to have you on is that there's been a lot of stuff going on in the trucking industry here recently where there's been a lot of cargo theft, and this this is aded from you know, the old school of what you just hijack a truck, or you wait for a truck to park and you, you know, unload it while they're eating or something like that. This has gotten more sophisticated to where they're actually stealing these loads through all kinds of different methods in terms of identity theft and so on. So I guess basically the same thing that would happen in terms of an individual's identity theft would apply here as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, to a large extent, that's true, Kevin. I mean it's a combination of the fact that and I'm sure all your listeners have seen many examples of these gigantic data breaches, you know, time and time again. You see where this company has had a data breach. Millions of records lost, millions of records lost. A perfect example of this would be the National Public Data Data breaks. National Public Data is a background check company. For any listener who's gone through a background check. Think of the very sensitive information you give up in a background check. Places you've lived, places you've worked, your family members, all kinds of very sensitive information. So that if someone wanted to either impersonate you using the information, they would need to convince someone else their you they have it.
Speaker 3: Or vice versa.
Speaker 4: If I'm trying to convince you that I'm a legitimate entity because I know information about you.
Speaker 3: That only that legitimate entity would know.
Speaker 4: These data breaches cut both ways, and they're a powerful tool for criminals and con artists. And I would mention so many of these cyber criminals are really just really good.
Speaker 3: Con artists that know how to use technology.
Speaker 4: But once you put all this information into the hands of the bad guys, it makes it very easy for them to then leverage technical tools like spoofing. So spoofing is basically a term. You can think of it as impersonation. I can spoof a website. I copy a website, I set it up on another server with a very slightly different domain. Maybe I replace an S with a number five or something in it. I can easily spoof an email. I can spoof a phone number, so whether it's a text message to you or a phone call to you, I can make a call or send it to text and make it appear to come from any number I want, Just like I can send an email and make it appear to come from any email address. So that's my long winded way of saying, the criminals have the information they need to set up fake websites to create the false sense of authority that they need to then, using spoofing and social engineering, convince people to do things like, hey, I'm here to pick up this shipment. Well, how did you know about the shipment? Well, I hacked your system, or I convinced one of your employees to tell me some information because I impersonated your IT person or whatever, and then they drive off with the shipment. So yeah, I'm not at all surprised you're seeing this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Dave hat Or, I don't think people are going up to the where they pick up the load and saying, hey, I am personated this company. I'm here to steal this from you.
Speaker 4: But I mean, if I show up with the bill with all the proper paperwork, how would.
Speaker 3: You know exactly?
Speaker 1: Exactly?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was just teasing there, because the way you phrased it was that, yeah, I'm here to steal your merchandise and all this ors and here's the bill of lady. They're probably not saying that they're showing the bill of lady. But you're you're right, I mean, because it is so easy and you know you and I, I mean, I called you a few months ago. I got this thing on my computer that it seemed like my my bank was telling you that there's been some fraudulent charges and do this, that and the other thing, and it looked legitimate as hell. And I thought, well, maybe I'll call the company. And I couldn't get through or I don't know what I was thinking, and I thought, do I click on this or not? And I called you and I said, you know what, I'm thinking that this is probably probably not a good thing to do, and so we talked about it. You said, well, you know, reboot or do this and do that and see if if it's still there before you call your your bank. And sure enough, I mean, I who you know from listening to you over the years and what and going to back up here again when I say what I call it scare the hell out of your fridays on KRNC. Is that because you always have this in that's available how people can protect themselves. But you also give the stories about how these companies, as you said, these big data breaches where they can come in steal your identity and how easy it is for them to get into your system because you click on something that you are unsuspecting, or you answer a question you shouldn't answer, answer a phone call you shouldn't answer, or something along those lines. And you know, when I say scare the hell out of it, well, maybe people need to bed the hell scared out of them sometime on this stuff. But again, these are the kinds of things that you know, the people are getting very sophisticated with this process of faking an id facing and as we saw on some of these stories that we talked about, that they actually identify themselves or steal the identity of a legitimate trucking company or a logistics company. And so how do people protect themselves from this? Is there certain things that you should look for? Is there certain things that that are not being done?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: I think you know, a big part of it, just in general is awareness. So one of the reasons why I appreciate you giving me a chance to come talk about this.
Speaker 3: You know, you don't have to take my word for this.
Speaker 4: You can go out and find copious examples of this and reported in the media of all different kinds of you know, identity theft and these sorts of hacks and account takeovers and so forth. You can also go to sites like the FTC, FTC dot gov, FBI dot gov, the FBIS, Internet Crime Complaint Center IC three dot gov, Indigo, Charlie number three dot gov. You know, they're replete with examples of what to look out for, how to protect yourself against this stuff.
Speaker 3: But you know the first step is awareness.
Speaker 4: Awareness that just because something looks legit doesn't mean that it is. Awareness that it's easy for bad guys to spoof things, right, to create complete goppelganger websites, to go to like seven hundred wlw's website, copy the whole thing, set it up on another server and maybe change the zeros and seven hundred to the upper case letter O. Is the average person going to notice that? Probably not so. You know, once you have some awareness, then it's having.
Speaker 3: A healthy dose of skepticism.
Speaker 4: If you're suddenly asked to do something unusual, especially if it's of a financial nature, you should stop, take a breath and do what we nerds like to call go out of band to verify it. You know, if it's your bank, for example, like you mentioned the bank example before.
Speaker 3: If you get I'll tell you a quick story.
Speaker 4: And you'll see how this ties. And I'm sitting on the couch with my wife. She gets a text claiming from USAA, that's our bank, that there's fraud on our account. So, you know, she looks at it. There's a number there for her to call. She calls the number. I can guarantee that call went to like a boiler room in some third world country where they have a room full of people con artists waiting to take that call. Okay, she calls, all this fraud on your account, I'm going to need this, that and the other.
Speaker 3: And I'm listening to this, I'm like, this is a scam hanger, you know.
Speaker 4: So in a scenario like that, you know, we went, we logged into our USA account using our normal procedure, and of course there was no fraud. So it's it's being skeptical. Your bank does not need your password, Your bank does not need your bank account information. They already know all that. They can reset your password. So when you're being asked to do something unusual, when you're being pressured at something like, oh, there's fraud on your account, we need to transfer your money to a safe account, you know, anything like that ninety nine point.
Speaker 3: Repeating scam.
Speaker 4: Stop hang up, and you then go log into your bank using your app or your with the normal website that you use, get out your bank statement, get out your credit card. Call the number that's published on there. Any number can be.
Speaker 3: Spoofed, you know when you when you.
Speaker 4: Call, you're going to get a human being on that phone who is there to con you.
Speaker 3: They will tell you any lie.
Speaker 4: They may have information about you stolen from one of these data breaches to make it seem more realistic, right, so they'll know certain things that will give them a sense of legitimacy and create a feeling that, you know, they are an authority and you should do what they say.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: Lookal law enforcement has reported on this sort of thing extensively. Where you get a call from like the Hamlin County Sheriff's office telling you to do X, Y or Z. They've gone to the Hamlin County Sheriff's website, They've looked up Deputy such and such as name. They'll say, i'm this person again. These are not people sitting in their mom's basement eating pizza and drinking mountain dew. You know these are criminal con artists who will steal your money if you make it easy for him. So again, it's stop, take a breath, hang up. If it's important and it's real, they'll call you back and go out of band and verify on your own any especially if it's financial.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: My guest is Dave Hatter, Dave Cincinnati's top cybersecurity pro. I would say, in the region's top side, the security pro will pick this up.
Speaker 1: Coming up.
Speaker 2: I'm Kevin Gordon, America struck in Network seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 5: Here's your trucking forecast for the Try State and the rest of the country and the Tri Sate. Over night, cloudy sky is gradually becoming partly cloudy. Be low down to twenty seven, mostly claudy early for your Thanksgiving Day, then gradually becoming sunny. A high of thirty eight sunny Friday, highs in the mid thirties, mostly claudy. Saturday, with the chants of afternoon snow a high of thirty nine, chants of early rained Sunday, otherwise cloudy a high of forty one. Nationally heavy like effects snow expected downwind to the Great Lakes region through the rest of the week and through Thanksgiving Day. Blizzard like conditions seen along the south shore of Lake Superior. Cold weather scene across the central and eastern US. Meanwhile, in the Pacific Northwest, day storm system bringing locally heavy rainfalls to the coastal ranges of western Washington State and Oregon, with locally heavy snow fall across the Cascades in Washington State and eventually moving into the Northern Rockies and Northern High Plains through Friday.
Speaker 2: I'm Kevin Gordon, America's truck in Network seven hundred WLW continue our conversation with Dave Hatter, Cincinnati's top cybersecurity pro and again, I think I keep emphasizing. I think he's actually he's probably one of the best in the country. I have not I've heard a lot of people talk about these things, Dave in the past. I've heard them on these national shows, and they don't have near the amount of knowledge that you have. So again, thank you spending time with us certainly appreciated.
Speaker 3: Well, it's my pleasure and I appreciate the compliment. Kevin. Thank you.
Speaker 2: We have been taking and it is so we can't emphasize enough, how easy this is. I think one of the stories that you had put out, because you are putting out regular emails and stuff in terms of some of these scams that are going on. And you had a story from this new or post about a guy who had gotten one of these phone calls and he has to be switched and he started talking. It seemed like he'd talked about four or five different people and was tricked into giving them whatever information that they could drain.
Speaker 1: His bank account.
Speaker 2: And you know, the simple thing that I think you've talked about before is that the simple thing you can do is that if you get a phone call like this, go to your page, go to your account, see if there's been anything going on with that. And you've got the phone number on the back of your card, your credit card or whatever.
Speaker 1: You can check it that way as well.
Speaker 2: I mean, hang up the phone from the person and then call the bank legitimately to find out if this is a is a scam or not. And nine times out of ten, as you said, ninety nine percent of the time it is a scam. And those are very simple, easy tips that people don't follow but are extremely important.
Speaker 3: Yes they are.
Speaker 4: And again and just such a healthy dose of skepticism will make you way ahead of the pack. And these says when you understand that, And again, Kevin, do you don't have to take my word for it. Go see what the FBI says about Go see what DHS says SIS of the Cybersecurity Infrastructure Security Agency, Microsoft Google, They'll all basically tell you the same types of things you know when you look at like the top five things you can do to protect yourself. Education and awareness about what's going on out there, which, by the way, there are lots of free sites. Internet Crime Complaints Center from the FBI, IC three dot gov is a good one, as well as tips from Microsoft, Google.
Speaker 3: And plenty of people out there who will give you.
Speaker 4: Free advice on this education, awareness, skepticism. It's so easy to create something that looks legitimate.
Speaker 3: It's so trivially easy. And I get if you.
Speaker 4: Don't work in tech, if you're not familiar with how these things work, it seems probably far fetched that someone could send an email that looks like it came from you. But this is really really easy to do, or to make a phone call that comes from any numbers. So if you're aware how easy the spoofing angle is, then it's.
Speaker 3: Easy to be more skeptical. You know, one piece of.
Speaker 4: Advice I give to people all the time is if you get call from a number you don't recognize, do not answer the phone. If it's important, they'll leave a message, or they'll call you.
Speaker 3: Back right again, because it's easier, number.
Speaker 2: Dave had or we are so geared to answering our phone because generally, you know, and a lot of times what this happens is is that if you have been making a lot of phone calls like I do, to try to get up guests or something along those lines, or you're making these phone calls, and if you happen to get a phone number from that area code that you've been calling, that makes it even more difficult. But again, if you don't recognize the phone number, it's a very good idea not to answer the phone. And as you say, if they do not, if it's important, they'll leave a message.
Speaker 1: So that can't be emphasized enough.
Speaker 4: And I just want to point out again, Kevin, you know, Stephen, an area code, I could be in India or anywhere in the world and make a phone call to your phone that looks like it came from five hund three area or anywhere I.
Speaker 3: Wanted to do.
Speaker 4: If I managed to find a data breach that has information that tells me you bank with a certain bank, I can go to their website, look up that phone number off their website, and make a call or send a text to you that appears.
Speaker 3: To have come from that number.
Speaker 4: So if it's if it's well done spoofing, that makes it even more difficult, because I'm saying, don't answer a call from whenever you don't recognize, but understand, even if you recognize the number, that does not tell you that it is coming from that legitimate number. Now there's there's some steps in place to hopefully knock some of this stuff down. But you know, this spoofing problem has been a problem for a long time, and it's one of the reasons why these bad guys, who are in many cases professional con artists who are reaching you through technology, social media, email, text, voice, etc. Are successful because the average person doesn't realize how easy it is to spoof something. And now, thanks to AI, you know to create perfect English pros that doesn't have the bad grammar, bad spelling, bad punctuation, all the weird things that in the old days would be flags. And I'll take it a step further, Kevin, because this is something people really need to understand.
Speaker 3: Fake voice cloning is a real thing. It is entirely possible, and I have actually.
Speaker 4: Demonstrated it in interviews on TV where you can close someone's voice. Just recently did an interview with Steve Levine from ABC six up in Columbus where we called his phone because people sitting me, well, Kevin, I'm not a celebrity, I'm not on the radio. How would you get my voice if I call your phone? Do you have a voicemail greeting? Because if you do, I can be you in less than fifteen minutes using a free tool. And Steve and I demonstrated that we called his voice, you call his phone, got his voicemail, we recorded it, and then we fed that into a deep fake voice cloning tool. And you can watch in the interview me typing on my keyboarding, hitting the button and Steve's voice coming out of my speakers. So it's it's a real thing. And so you know, as a family, it's a good idea to have some sort of secret phrase.
Speaker 3: So when you get a call three o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 4: Telling you, hey, this is you know, this is little Jimmy, Dad, I'm in jail. I need you to get gift cards or whatever sort of scam they run on you. You know, they got little Jimmy's voice out the social media or office phone or wherever else.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: A again, awareness that if you get a call like that, and a strong red flag for voice cloning is there's a long pause between what you say and a response, and that's exactly typing what they want the computer to say exactly so.
Speaker 3: But it's real.
Speaker 4: It's absolutely real, Kevin, and again, awareness skepticism, stop, take a breath, and then go out of band. If I'm going to kind of shriff calls and says, hey, little Jimmy's in jail. Here's little Jimmy. You know, hang up and call them back. Hang up and call them back on the number that you can.
Speaker 1: Verify, you know, exactly now.
Speaker 2: And pointing this more towards the trucking industry again, it's important because of the fact that these companies can clone. These companies pan clone an invoice and show up to pick.
Speaker 1: Up a load. The verification process needs to be put in place.
Speaker 2: You know a little bit of human technology in terms of even the cyber technology to find out that this is being done. They talk about how the double brokering, the fact that some of these companies are talking about how first the thieves will steal a business identity, They trick shippers into handing over entire container loads simply because they can type up a manifest and come up and pick that up. And then sometimes they will broker that out to a legitimate company or a legitimate trucker that is unaware that this is not a legitimate broker that they're dealing with. They'll pick up the load and deliver it, and then of course the money is stolen or the load is stolen, they don't get paid for it. The product has been stolen, which again it's necessary to verify these things. Make sure that you're dealing with the proper company, that it's a company you know you can verify, call their phone number, and so on. And what's even more amazing is that as I was reading through some of these stories, they were talking about in terms of hey, you know, put a lock on your truck, make sure that you control the access in and out of your warehouse, that somebody just can't have you know, people just can't in walk in off the street. Make sure that there's security codes on the building that people are picking up, just minor types of things that would cut a lot of this theft down completely.
Speaker 1: Now. Is it too expensive now?
Speaker 2: Or is it the technology getting better to where somebody could actually because I don't know if you saw the article about Guy Fieri. Guy Fieri has he had a shipment of tequila that was stolen, about a million dollars worth of that, and it was a kind of a clever scam. They actually broke in the job to another firm, which turned out to be fictitious. The imposter carrier carried forged documents, phony email accounts, and fake phone numbers. But then when the thieves took off, they were trying to track this over the period and they were able to fake the GPS and stuff. Is it getting to a point now where you can actually put it like a tracker on some of these the loads, so that you know exactly where it is as opposed to just all right, it's supposed to go to Phoenix, and yeah.
Speaker 4: You could, you could, I mean think about something like an Apple air tag, right, I mean, that's a relative compared to a million dollar loss buying a bunch of Apple air tags or other more industrial type devices that you could affix to a palette or something to do some additional tracking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, that's.
Speaker 4: All well within the realm of possibility. And my guess is because of these sort of the fs, you'll see more of that type of thing.
Speaker 3: And I know with that the Guy.
Speaker 4: Fierti tequila story, like this stuff, and then the whiskey stories something like it's I think it'll be hard for them to unload that because it's high profile.
Speaker 3: But it just goes to show you.
Speaker 4: You know, if you're a criminal and you could set up a shell company and create a fake website and fake email addresses and fake phone numbers, all of which are very trivially easy to do, and you could steal a million dollars.
Speaker 3: And let's let's see it took you a way, Kevin.
Speaker 4: Let's say he took a week of setting out the stuff right and creating the fake emails and all that stuff. And you know, if you could make a million dollars a week in theft, you'd be doing pretty good, you know, I'd I'd say so, Yeah, by my math, at three hundred and sixty five or fifty two weeks a year, that's fifty two million.
Speaker 3: Dollars a year. You're you're doing pretty good.
Speaker 1: Not a bad payday, Dave.
Speaker 2: I think that's all I can say is I am sure glad that you're on the right side of the law and not the wrong side of the law, because I think you could probably come up with a pretty couple of pretty good schemes in order to scam some people big time.
Speaker 4: So well, I'm out here trying to help people prevent these sort of things and protect themselves because it's become as we become increasingly reliant on this digital technology, there is just an ever increasing number of opportunities for the bad guys to scam you, and you just youve got to be skeptical and move cautiously exactly.
Speaker 2: Well, Dave Hatter, it's been a pleasure we got to have you on again, because this is there's always just way too much information to get in a couple of segments because of all the things going on out there. I certainly appreciate your time. Hope you and your family have a happy Thanksgiving and enjoyable time.
Speaker 4: Well, thanks for having me on, Kevin, I'm happy to come on anytime and they I hope you and your family and all your listeners have a happy Thanksgiving too.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Kevin Gordon, my guest Dave Hadter, Cincinnati's top cybersecurity pro I'm Kevin Gordon. America's struck a Network seven hundred WLW. This is america'struck a Network seven one hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: Doobless claims.
Speaker 2: We've got some interesting economic data here actually yesterday, going into the holiday season. Usually some of these numbers aren't supposed to come out until Thursday, but they came out a day early because of the Thanksgiving holiday today, and so well they're just published early. Our jobless claims drop to the lowest level since April. A US initial job is claims fell by six one thousand to two hundred and sixteen thousand for the week, and in November twenty second, the lowest level since April. All this stuff that we keep hearing about the economy that jobs are you know, the job market is not as strong as it should be the fact that there are very few companies or very few layoffs is indicating in these jobs.
Speaker 1: The lowest level of layoffs or.
Speaker 2: Unemployment initial jobless claims since mid April. That is absolutely phenomenal. At two hundred and sixteen thousand. The prediction had been that there were going to be two hundred and twenty five thousand jobless claims for that particular week, which meant that the so called experts that predicted this were off by four percent. Now four percent isn't a lot, but it's still when you're talking about individual jobless claims as far as where those numbers go. Now, we have talked about on this program how these jobless claims have been in that range and where people are saying it the low end of that range around two hundred and ten thousand up to two hundred and fifty thousand. But within that range is where these job with claims have been for a number of months and even I think almost a year now. So nothing Again, we're back to what we've talked about numerous times on this program that companies are in a no hire, no fire situation where they want to hold on to their employees, thinking or hoping that things will bounce back or things that are coming will peak and things will grow. And I keep saying that the thing that it's In my opinion, the thing that's holding back our economy are the high interest rates. People are reluctant to buy new equipment, expand their business, buy a new piece of machinery or something along those lines, because they're unsure as to well as far as interest rates are concerned. They're looking at the cost of that saying that my return on investment isn't going to be what I think it's going to be, and so therefore I'm going to hold off, hoping that the interest rates come down, hope that things change, or if business picks up tremendously more than what it's been doing, then maybe I just got to bite the bullet and go ahead and expand the business. But these are the kinds of things that businesses are paying attention to and figuring out whether or not what they should do. Now they're talking about here in terms of again that the figures employers are still largely retaining current employees. They pulled back on bringing on new hires, though they have been increasing the number of job cut announcements. By lord, we have seen these job cut announcements. However, they haven't taken effect yet. And you know, they can announce these job cuts like Amazon have been making comments that they're going to be laying off a lot of their workforce, which is kind of interesting because all of the jobs that we have been seeing, or they've been talking about tech jobs, well, AI apparently is coming in and replacing some of the people that are in these tech jobs, and they're looking around and saying, well, gee whiz, I don't think we need this many people, but it'll be interesting to see because you know, I've been seeing a lot of stuff as far as AI where people are starting to think that this isn't the you know, this isn't quite as ready for prime time as everybody would like to think. There are still some hitches in that and not quite completely trustworthy at this point, I guess, is what I'm trying to say. Because again, it's a matter of somebody is inputting these algorithms, somebody is developing these algorithms, and if there's a miss, if there's something that's not done properly, you're going to get a situation of garbage in, garbage out. And so this rush to try to lower your number of employees because of AI may wind up backfiring in the end. So it's interesting that in the fact that the headline, you know, one one headline said jobless claims dropped to lowest level since April. Another jobless claims claims that's seven month low, as layoffs remained low. Basically, it's it's good news that they can't hide from they, you know, when you're talking about a seven month low, that the jobless the jobless claims unexpectedly fell last week. How many times over the year have we heard unexpectedly to the good side, retail sales unexpectedly high, home sales unexpectedly high, unemployment unexpectedly low, all this sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: It's just amazing that.
Speaker 2: The so called experts are calling for certain things in the economy that just aren't flat out happening. Another bit of good news, capital goods have been reported. Although businesses are reluctant to boost hiring, they are spending more on equipment, underpinning the economy. A separate report from the Commerce Department Census Bureau showed non defens capital goods orders excluding aircraft, a closely watched proxy for business spending, jumped point nine percent in September after an upwardly revised point nine percent increase in August.
Speaker 1: So back to back.
Speaker 2: Months where usually we saw a point nine percent increase.
Speaker 1: Now that may not seem like a nuts a lot.
Speaker 2: But economists head forecast the so called core capital goods orders rise point two percent. So they missed that by what is that number? Probably I think something like, oh, it's about three hundred, three hundred and fifty percent. They blew that estimate. They expected a point two percent and it came in at point nine percent unexpected again, unexpectedly high. Economists, like I said, head forecast to these capital goods orders rising. There were strong increases in orders for computers, electronic products, electrical equipment, appliances and components, as well as transportation equipment and primary metals, but orders for machinery barely rows. Again, people that are in the manufacturing industry that as far as machinery to build and to manufacture stuff, they are again not investing or holding back hoping that interest rates come down or that their amount of business justifies the return on investment of having high interest rates, but biting the bullet and buying that piece of equipment anyway, because they have the necessary orders, the necessary products or orders to fulfill in order to make that a make that a worthwhile investment GDP. Now get this, okay, I'm going to do a little bit of bragging here. You remember back during the period of time, right during what they called Liberation Day, back in April April the second, when people were saying, oh, while the stock market went down tremendously because the announcement of all these tariffs, people.
Speaker 1: Were talking about the R word.
Speaker 2: They were talking about a possibility of recession, talking about negative growth, talking about the GDP going down, that there wasn't going to be there were going to be, you know, a lot of layoffs. There were going to be massive layoffs. There was going to be rapidt inflation, and that was going to push us into a recession. And they were talking about, well, we don't expect by the end of the year that GDP was going to be around. They were predicting it to be about one point eight percent. Back then, I was saying, by the end of the year, I expected to see GDP somewhere between gross domestic product somewhere between four point five percent and five percent by.
Speaker 1: The end of the year.
Speaker 2: And a lot of people around the office, around the studio said, you know your little nuts there.
Speaker 1: Well, the Atlanta.
Speaker 2: Atlanta Federal Reserve is forecasting gross domestic product for the third quarter to increase at four percent annualized rate in the July to September quarter. The delayed third quarter GDP report will be released on December twenty third. The economy grew at three point eight percent pace in the second quarter. Orders for durable good items ranging from toasters to aircraft meant that the three years or meant to last three years and more rose point five percent. According to Christopher Roupki, chief economists at Forward Bonds, one thing is certain and that is is going to be a gigantic, gigantic quarter for real GDP growth, although admittedly it's only a rear view looking mirror looking back at the third quarter, which was affected by the government shutdown. So if my prediction doesn't come in at four point five percent or five percent GDP growth somewhere between four point five, it's because of the government shutdown. That was four was done by the Democrats, the Shumer shut down. But again, very good news. Four percent, right in line with what Kevin Gordon from America's Truck and Network has been talking about. Well, folks, enjoy the rest of the day. Enjoy the rest of the weekend and and you know, just have a great time. Don't eat well, I'm going to say don't eat too much, but yeah, indulge. I'm Kevin Gordon, America's Truck and Network seven hundred WLW