Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun. Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 2: Fith a Spring training Dodger.
Speaker 1: Talk, here we go again.
Speaker 2: We'rega running Back hosted by Dodgers at Cider David Basset.
Speaker 1: How three peat in New Mexican in on the.
Speaker 2: Show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seven, And be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts. Here's your host, David Basse.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Dodger Talk. David Vasse with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. And we're coming to you from Scottsdale Stadium in Scottsdale, Arizona, the home of the San Francisco Giants. And of course, the Dodgers lose their first Spring training game too, the Giants, twelve to four, the final score. The Dodgers have been rolling to this point. The majority of these games had been without their regular lineup, and today there were not many regulars in this lineup for the Dodgers. There is not one player that the Dodgers started in today's game that will be in their opening day lineup unless something catastrophic happens. Alex Frielan Santiago, Espinal Dalton Rushing, Nick Senzel. Stop me if you've heard of these guys, Ryan Ward, I know Tim never was really excited. Ryan Ward was in the starting lineup today for the simulcast, So not putting a lot of stock in this game. In fact, the only thing that mattered in this game today was Yoshi Yamamoto pitching three easonings, not walking a single batter while he was in there, and recorded four strikeouts before leaving for Tokyo to join Team Japan in the World Baseball Classics. So we'll get to that in a moment. Also, i'll fill you in on the photos that are circulating on Reddit of Mookie Betts holding sense YadA on his shoulders. We'll get to that in a moment. But coming up in fifteen minutes, you'll hear my one on one conversation with three time World Series manager Dave Roberts coming off back to back championships to finally get your validation. It only took back to back World Series championships for you to appreciate Dave Roberts. So we'll get to Dave coming up in fifteen minutes, and then the centerpiece of our show. I am thrilled to be reunited with my guy, America's DH JD. Martinez, who is coming up at the bottom of the hour. JD. Martinez spent just one season with the Dodgers, but it was a great season, a productive season for him, thirty three home runs, one hundred RBIs, and was part of franchise record setting quartet that drove in one hundred runs in the same season. JD. Martinez, Freddie Freeman, Mookie Betts, and Max Munsey all drove in one hundred runs back in twenty twenty three, the year before Otani. So in some ways JD. Martinez got wally pipped by show Hey Otani because if the Dodgers strike out on signing Otani, JD. Martinez is probably back for a second year with the Dodgers. But instead it was Otani who transformed the franchise and the landscape of baseball by signing the contract that he did. And here he is two for two as far as championships go. But we're gonna rewind it with JD. Martinez we'll fill you in on what he's doing with his life right now. You know, Andre Ethier the other day at Camelback Ranch, instead of just saying goodbye, great seeing you, Dave, he told me good luck with your life. That's the way he said goodbye to me. So we'll see JD. Martinez is having luck with his life and will find out just how much he did help Mooki Betts last year because JD and Mooki connected when the team was in Tampa. That seemed to change Mooki season to a place where it hadn't been all season long and into the postseason. So looking forward to JD. Martinez joining us in the next segment. Now today, Yamamoto pitched three things like I mentioned in a twelve to four loss. After he came out of the game, things really went sideways on the rest of the pitchers that came in, and really no one of significance that you would know of other than Aguado Enriquez, who did not pitch that great in relief. But Yamamoto more importantly pitched really well, came out of it healthy, and says he's in a good spot physically and mentally as he travels to Tokyo. Yes, right now, he is traveling to Tokyo, Japan to join the World Baseball Classic team. He's scheduled to land in Tokyo tomorrow at five am. So the Dodgers, he acknowledged, and himself have had conversations about what the guardrails should look like and what he should be keeping in mind during the World Baseball Classic. But as Andrew Friedman told us last week, it's going to be hard to contain the adrenaline that is going to be pumping in these World Baseball Classic games, especially as they come out of the first pool. And look, Japan's playing Taiwan in the first game, and we're hearing Yamamoto is going to pitch that first game. So I would I would hope Team Japan's manager would just allow Yamamoto to go four innings in that first start. I mean, I feel like Japan should be able to handle Taiwan without pushing Yamamoto to the limits. So that's where it stands with Yamamoto. And as far as photos that are circulating on Reddit, a fan took a picture as Mooki Vets had sense YadA, Yamamoto's trainer on his shoulders doing some sense YadA exercises right beyond the old Mary's pit, in between the weight room, clubhouse and the batting cage facility. I asked Moki about it today, and you know, he didn't give me too many details. He basically said, it's pretty much too complicated to explain to me what the purpose of that was. So, I mean, obviously, Muki has known me for a few years, so he knows I'm not that bright. So I don't think I could process sense YadA on his shoulders and how that's going to help. But not only was Muki photographed with sense YadA on his shoulders the other day, but he also was throwing Yamamoto's javelins, the javelin routine that Yamamoto has had going back to Japan in between starts and what he has brought over in between starts here with the Dodgers. So Mookie basically is trying to find any way to get better. I think it's a positive that he's curious enough to see a guy as far as stature goes same in stature, give or take an inch or two, and the demands of playing shortstop, how to increase the strength and flexibility of his lower half. And what he did tell me is what that comes down to his core and lower half, how to be able to be more connected to the ground. And look, even if he can get one percent better, I think you have to give him credit that he's interested enough to try to learn something new and see how it works for him. He said he's going to continue to throw the javelins before he goes out there for infield work. He obviously is not going to be able to put sense YadA on his shoulders tomorrow because since YadA will be leaving tomorrow to join Ya in the World Baseball Classics. So that's somewhat of the story behind the photos that you may or may not have seen on Reddit. I had heard about this. Will Smith actually asked Yamamoto's translator Hero a couple of days ago while I was sitting there and asked him like, what was that all about? And Hero didn't have many answers either. So maybe as the spring goes along, Mooki will open up more about what exactly is the goal of all that. But basically what it is is to be more connected to the ground, help him be a better shortstop, because we all have heard him say his goal is to win the goal Glove this year. And Muki has come into camp bigger and stronger than he was a year ago at this time, and I am seeing resemblances to the spring of twenty twenty, his first with the Dodgers, getting to the facility on a day to day basis, early, getting out there to do some work before the team meeting, and then going back out for more work. And look, he has four World Series rings. I'm sure you know you heard Kobe always talk about chasing Shaq and Jordan. I'm sure Mookie Bets would love to have as many World Series rings as Derek Jeter. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. David vassay with you from Scottsdale Stadium in Scottsdale, Arizona, Dodger Talk. I'm not gonna have too many opportunities for phone calls tonight. It's a pretty interview heavy show tonight, so we won't be able to get to too many calls. But you can send me a tweet at the Real Underscore dv now. Earlier today, the reporters asked Dave Roberts about Blake Snell and where he's at and somebody asked whether or not he's ruled out for Opening Day, that may be the most obvious answer in spring training, and the obvious answer is no, How is he going to be ready for opening Day when he just started throwing off flat round when he got to spring training. He hasn't even thrown off a bullpen mound. He's the two time Cy Young Award winner and the Dodgers need him. And in this culture, with those players that are trying to threepeat, there's a lot of accountability between each other and if you're behind, guys are gonna look at you sideways, no matter what the reason is. And look Snell's throwing. He told me his shoulders feeling fine right now. But basically he's at the point where a pitcher should be in December. So we'll find out how spring goes along, how all of that's going. But really the biggest test for Snell, the next big, big test, is not throwing one hundred and twenty feet off a flat round, but actually getting on the mound and throwing a bullpen session. That's when the Dodgers will have a greater idea about where he's at. And I have maintained over under on Snell pitch in a game this year is single demio And basically the Dodgers signed Blake Snell to be ready in the second half of seasons and be ready for the postseason the way he delivered last year, no secrets about it. When he does pitch a full season, he's the best left hander in the game. That's evidence by him winning evident by him winning two Cy Young Awards. But that's been the challenge. He's a twenty star pitcher. But what the Dodgers have lacked in years past is having that guy that can carry them through October and pitch that way and be healthy. Well, they got two now, Yamamoto and Blake Snell, who were the big one to two starting combination for the Dodgers against the Phillies and Brewers. And obviously what Yamamoto did in Toronto is legendary stuff. All right. When we continue from Scottsdale Stadium, we will hear from the skipper, Dave Roberts, entering his eleventh season as the manager. He has been to five World Series. He has won three, including back to back championships. Dave Roberts is coming up next. JD. Martinez at the bottom of the hour right here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. AM five seventy LA Sports, and we're joined right now by the leader of this team, a man that is entering his eleventh season as the Dodger manager. And there's only one other Dodger manager that has won more World Championships than Dave Roberts, and that is the Hall of Famer Walter Alston. Dave, thanks a lot for the time, and hard to believe this is your eleventh spring training.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Dave, it's hard when you put it that way, and it's flown by, and there's been a lot of great memories, moments, and I think the fun part about, you know, my job in this spring is I just have I my coaches, the players have as much enthusiasm about showing up to work each day, and that's you know, an accomplishment, you know, for everyone, and so something to be really proud of. And yeah, twenty twenty five was great, the years prior great, but you know, I'm really excited. I would almost say that I'm more excited about twenty six than in a year I've been with the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it feels like this group and yourself are still very hungry after back to back championships.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we are, and I think that, you know, a lot of people ask me, you know, what's a message for a team that's won two in a row, three in the last six years, And I think for me, it's just continuing to, you know, practice the right way of the process and play hard and try to make everything we do matter. And so for me as a coach, when I do stand back and I watch us workout and the intent behind everything we do, it's buttoned up and that's something that's pretty exciting for all of us.
Speaker 1: Dave, I talked to Miguel Rojas and Mookie Betts about this. You guys have never shied away from expectations, not from the outside but amongst each other. And when I said three pete, they said, you can say that as loud as you want, because that's what we want. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I agree, And I think that when you're I guess, when you are secure in you know your team, who you are individually, you're not afraid to run from expectations because our own expectations should be higher than what anyone else could expect. So yeah, but I think Dave is that we do a good job of understanding what is at stake, but also the most important part of it is to kind of focus on the work each day. And you know, like I said many times, you're not going to win a World Series in February. You're not going to win a three peet in February. Your goal is to get better each day. And I think our guys do as good a job as anyone as you know, putting on those blinders and folks on each day.
Speaker 1: You always do everything with a purpose to connect to each individual and to connect to the group. You mentioned to us at FanFest that you played at the Holy Grail Augusta during the offseason, but you also brought Freddie Freeman and move Cooky Betts. What was that experience like for yourself and to have two of your best players come with you.
Speaker 3: It was actually Will Smith and Mookie and it was great. And I think for me it's they love the game of golf, and you know, we've been in a lot of big games together, and I think for me it was more of trying to continue to build that relationship off the field and build that trust. And I got it with those guys as well. As and you mentioned Freddy and so it's also you know, we spend so much time together on the field, but building relationships away from the field just makes it that much stronger. And it was a memory that I know all three of us remember forever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not too many managers have that type of relationship to do something like that when you take them out, even to a special golf course like that. Do you do that with a purpose to maybe get the temperature, maybe start to get the message for the season going. When you're you know, waiting for your turn or you're standing around.
Speaker 3: You know what, it's funny not really pointed conversations about you know what we're trying to do, what we've done. It's more of you know, talking about golf. But I think it's really getting to know each other away from the ball field. And I think, you know, the more you spend time with people, you get to kind of learn what they value as people, and our interests are are the way we kind of live our lives and the things we value are aligned, and that just bleeds onto the baseball field. So it doesn't have to be something that we have to manufacture conversations about what we need to do, and so I think that's really powerful in itself.
Speaker 1: All Right, So I'm gonna say something here that I feel is somewhat true. Show Aotani obviously doesn't speak a lot publicly, but neither does Will Smith. The guy hits the go ahead home run to clinch the World Series in Game seven, we don't hear a lot from him. What have you learned about Will Smith that we may not know to allow him to be one of, if not the most clutch players in baseball?
Speaker 3: You know, have what is a public the people not know? He's an open book. He really is. He's very simple in his preparation. I think he's a very confident player, but a humble player, smart player. I think the main thing with Will why he has success in big moments is because he plays for the right reasons, you know, in the biggest of moments. He's a guy that can hit a groundball to move a guy to third base. He's a guy that can take a walk in a big spot or hit a home run. And Will is as good of a team player as I've ever been around. He's a very unselfish player. Doesn't answer your question because honestly, what you see is what you get. And I think for me is I like dependable players, and he's as dependable as I've been around.
Speaker 1: How much do we not appreciate the fact this guy was playing with a broken hand for the majority of the postseason and all of a sudden started to get the power. His first extra base hit of the postseason came in Game one of the World Series. Is he one of your toughest guys? And does that go unnoticed by the outside, you know, fandom.
Speaker 3: Well, I think the catching position is a servant position. It certainly gets a notice anyway. You know what he's done for the pitching staff. I thought he the way he navigated the pitching staff this year and the postseason was as good of a job behind the plate as I've seen. And yeah, you know, starting the postseason we had Ben rart Vett catching games to start, certainly in that Philly series and for Will to come back off the bench to kind of get his hand back to full strength. He had a big hit in Philly, a lot of big hits, and then then to you know, look out into the World Series. Catch eighteen innings and catch every inning of the World Series is pretty remarkable. And he's never a self promoter, never looking for credit, and he just wants to play to win. So he's certainly under the radar. But I do know that in this clubhouse, guys, you could argue that he's the most valuable player we have if you kind of bake in the offense and the defense.
Speaker 1: Before I let Dave Robert Scoe. He's doing a lot of things at once, all the time managing his relationships with Andrew Freeman, the players, and the fans, and also the Dodger Foundation. When you look back at these previous ten years and you look forward Freddie Freeman keeps talking about four more years, how much would you love to ride out the next four years with Freddie? And have the previous ten been everything you thought they would be?
Speaker 3: The previous ten have been everything and more than I thought hoped you would be. I do think that it's only going to get better because of the relationships that we forge are strengthened. Excited for Freddie to play four more years, and Lord willing it is with the Dodgers. For me, I know I've got four years left on my contract. I think that you know, I'm having as much fun as I've ever had, so we'll see, you know, once this one ends and we win a couple more championships, a few more championships.
Speaker 1: How addicting is winning?
Speaker 3: It's you know, once you get a taste of it, you know it is. I think addiction is the right word. And obsession, and you know, but I think the thing, Dave, is that winning is an addiction and obsession. But the practice, the love for it, the process, that's what the great ones have an addiction to. And our guys, two of men, are addicted to getting continuing to get better as ballplayers.
Speaker 1: And it starts with the skipper, Dave Roberts. Everybody in that clubhouse admires the way you lead this team. The people behind the scenes feel the same way. And I think I speak for everybody in it. Dave Roberts is certainly the right man for the right time in Dodger history.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm in great company, a lot of good players, great organizations run by a lot of great people, and our fan base. Dave, you know, there's nothing like Dodger Nation. There really isn't. There's a reason why players want to come here and play for the Dodgers, the boys in Blues. So we're going to wrap up spring training where we're off to a good start, and I just can't wait for our fan base to, you know, welcome us when we get ready to start the regular season.
Speaker 1: Thanks for the time, Dave really appreciated.
Speaker 3: You got it, Dave.
Speaker 1: There he goes Dodger manager Dave Roberts, ready for all the expectations that he and his players are not shying away from a chance to make history to three peat. There's only been one team in my lifetime that has won three straight World Series championships. That was the Yankees, and I think only Bill Plunkin and Steve Brenner were alive when the A's three peted in the mid seventies. Rick Monday too. So there's a a lot of you that have never seen a Dodger team, or any major league team three pat So this is their opportunity. They're not shying away from it. When we continue on Dodger Talk from Scottsdale Stadium, America's dh JD. Martinez is going to join us next right here on AM five to seventy LA Sports, NAM five to seventy LA Sports, and I am really excited to have our next guest join us for the first time over the phone for the first time technically on Dodger Talk. He was a recurring guest on the pregame show. He only spent one year with the Dodgers, but it was a fantastic year. He was part of the first quartet in Dodger history to drive in one hundred runs in the same season. That was back in twenty twenty three when he hit thirty three home runs and drove in one hundred and three runs for the Dodgers. And we had a special handshake. We connected over me breaking my wrist on the Milwaukee slide in spring training and from that point on, the magic with the dead Fish handshake took off. And that is America's dh JD Martinez, JD. Great to have you on the show. I miss you.
Speaker 4: Hey, I miss you too.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: It's great talking to you.
Speaker 1: You are on the Lisson. Life is good. I have not gone down any slides, I haven't broken any ribs. I'm doing okay, thank God.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't think you're allowed to go to any slides anymore.
Speaker 1: I feel like I have to have some redemption. Maybe go on a fishing boat with you, or maybe do some some skiing with you. Maybe we can work that out.
Speaker 4: Oh, that would be great. I would love nothing more. I would love to see than skiing slopes, knowing how fragile you are.
Speaker 1: He didn't know who the hell I was until he saw the slide highlight one spring training moment, and then from that point on it was. It was a great year in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it was a blooper that was being run on TV.
Speaker 4: I remember seeing that. I'd be like, oh my gosh, who is that guy? And everyone's like, that's David, that's our media guy. I said, I got to meet this guy. How do you break your hands sliding down a slide? I've never heard of.
Speaker 1: That, dude. It was a fast ride. It was a fast slide. I don't know, I slowed it down. I feel like I did everybody a public service.
Speaker 4: I love it. I love it.
Speaker 1: Hey. JD. Martinez is living his best life. He's fishing nearly every day out there in Florida. He was just in Park City, Utah skiing and now.
Speaker 4: He's in as ohr Right.
Speaker 1: Oh sorry, sorry, Aspen. Yes, that's uh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah. I had a lot of homers.
Speaker 1: I get to go to Asten a lot of Dingers for JD. Martinez to I want to Aspen and now he's in the Desert for the Desert Smashing Lakina starting on Monday. He's a celebrity pickleball player, now, I mean, is that the level of pickleball you're at right now where you're a celebrity.
Speaker 4: I mean pretty much. I mean I don't know.
Speaker 5: I mean it's if my back could hold up a little bit more. I think I can kind of get good at it, but I always run into my back issues, you know, And for that, I think i'd be you know, out there competing, trying to compete more.
Speaker 4: But I'm excited for it. I'm excited. I know a lot of there's gonna be a lot of pros out there.
Speaker 5: There's gonna be a lot of really good players, and I'm excited to go and you know, play alongside of that.
Speaker 4: It'll be fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Will Ferrell is supposed to be one of the other celebrities with JD. Martinez. Maybe you could be doubles like Krushaw's ping pong tournament.
Speaker 5: I remember that, Yeah, Kershaw kind of Kershaw rigged that ping pong tournament.
Speaker 4: You would win, I know it.
Speaker 1: So who's a better pickleball player, you or Mookie Bets.
Speaker 4: Oh, I don't know. I think I'm gonna have to say me. I'm sorry, smoke. I love them, but I think I got them. I did play more though, that's the problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly. I mean, how do you have back problems when you play pickleball? You barely move?
Speaker 4: I mean, what are you talking about? You got to stop bend over. There's a lot of things you gotta do.
Speaker 1: I don't see it, a lot of things. I don't see why this is such a phenomenon across the country.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's addicted. It's so addicted.
Speaker 1: Why Why is it because a little ping pong and you move around a little bit. I know you're a competitor, but what makes you so good to bring your game to the Desert smash and really want to fly across the country to be part of this.
Speaker 5: I mean it's one of those things though, you know, you get invited.
Speaker 4: It's a cool expirceperience.
Speaker 5: Uh you get to go alongside and test your test your skills against some of the pros out there.
Speaker 4: Uh So it's definitely. Ah, you know, nothing I like more than a good challenge. So I'm excited to just go out there and see what's I went.
Speaker 5: Uh. Earlier this year, I went to Dallas for a for the same kind of thing, and I got to play against Dirk Novisky and Carroll Owens and Tifu and it was just fun.
Speaker 4: It's a fun, cool experience.
Speaker 5: And we got to go up against some of the pickleball pros like Ben Jons and of course they put me on singles against Annaalie Waters, who's probably the best pickball player ever, and I got absolutely demolished.
Speaker 4: It was a very humbling experience for him, and I truly enjoyed it. All right, Yeah, it's just good. It's good fun.
Speaker 1: How did you do against Dirk Nowitzki? I would say he has the length on you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Dirk, I got I got him though. I beat him, though, Yeah, he's got He definitely got the length on me. But he's, uh, it's a little hard for him to, you know, bend over, he's so tall. So I was able to keep the ball low on them.
Speaker 1: Okay, explain this to me. In pickleball, you always hear everybody talk about the kitchen, the kitchen. Can you explain to us what the kitchen is in pickleball.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 5: The kitchen is that little it's like the boss that's outlined right next to the net. And in the kitchen, you can ever go into the kitchen unless the ball goes in the kitchen.
Speaker 4: Gotcha. You can.
Speaker 5: You can reach in there, but you can't touch the ground in the kitchen unless the ball bounces in the kitchen. Once the ball bounces in the kitchen, then you can go in there and hit the ball, then you're allowed to You're allowed to go over the kitchen.
Speaker 4: It just keeps people back so that not everybody would just run to the net, you know.
Speaker 1: Okay, So once the ball bounces in the kitchen, that's when you can play it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, Okay.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I appreciate you explaining that to me. I'm going to try it one of these days. But I feel like I need a bigger challenge than pickleball in my life.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't know if pickleball is a sport for you, though, David. This is issue you're you're a little because you're a little fragile.
Speaker 5: I don't see a lot of athleticism from you that you're gonna need hand eye coordination, reaction.
Speaker 4: I think there are a lot of skills that you don't have.
Speaker 5: So I don't know what kind of a you know, advise you to stay away from it.
Speaker 4: It's got a lot of injuries in the pickleball game.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you. I appreciate your concern. How about fishing for swordfish? How about fishing for swordfish?
Speaker 4: Hey, we could go, We could go. I got my boat down here and you can come down whenever you want.
Speaker 1: Oh, man, enjoyable.
Speaker 4: You don't make me feel like I'm.
Speaker 1: On vacation every time I watch you on Instagram on the boat. I mean, you are living your best life after just basically dedicating your your previous what thirty years to baseball. I mean, I love that you're enjoying yourself.
Speaker 4: I appreciate it. Man, It's been fun.
Speaker 5: Honestly, I kind of pick ah and I one adventure to do every month, and I try to go out there and do it.
Speaker 4: I'm a I'm a dad.
Speaker 5: Now, so you know I have that currently pushing my daughter around a little a little car thing. Oh, I'm not on adventures, but I'm not on my one adventure a month. I come back and I'm playing dad for the next three weeks. You know, so I try to just enjoy it and make the best out of it.
Speaker 1: But that George Clooney beard is still perfectly fine. It has not even gotten too long. It is perfect for JD. Martinez and you still have.
Speaker 4: Your I keep it clean, Yeah, yeah, keep it clean. I got, I got, I got a few more white hair than it now. But I'm good.
Speaker 1: How since you were known for being a cage rat, how liberating is your life now that you don't have the burden of having to be America's dh.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, it's amazing. I love it.
Speaker 5: People are like, how are you enjoying it? I'm like, they're like, do you miss it? I'm like, I miss the boys. I miss everything's feeling good and my body's feeling good, But I don't miss the preparation and all that stuff that goes into it to get my body ready just to go out there and have four back in the game and everything I.
Speaker 4: Have to do.
Speaker 5: That's that's definitely a burden, you know, that's been taking off my shoulders in.
Speaker 1: Twenty three with the Dodgers. How long would it take you to get ready for a game?
Speaker 5: Oh my goodness, I mean I said ever since spot like twenty twenty twenty twenty one, I think is when it started, it would probably take me like an hour on the training room table and then an hour in the gym, and then from there I'm kind of ready to start batting practice and get ready to go, you know, like get my body moving around.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. I mean people don't understand that you guys show up well before first pitch, not an hour before, especially guys like you. And I used to hear Chase Suttley at the end of his career showing up at noon for a seven to ten game just to get rid.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I mean for me, I was a little bit different, you know.
Speaker 4: I mean, no one really understood this, but I was.
Speaker 5: You know, I would wake up in the morning at nine ten o'clock, eat breakfast, and go to the cage and do my whole you know, what I was going to work on the night before, what I was going to work on that day that I saw the night before, I was gonna go and I was gonna, you know, go test it out and.
Speaker 4: Go to the cage for like an hour, hour and a half and.
Speaker 5: Then go and start my like you know, go to the field around twelve one o'clock and start my day there. So my day really started around like nine ten o'clock.
Speaker 1: And now, do you did you have any withdrawals last year, your first year out of the game, and how did you get over those withdrawals?
Speaker 4: I definitely didn't have any withdrawals, for sure, zero withdrawals. Yeah, my withdrawals was like.
Speaker 5: The guys hanging out with the guys in the clubhouse talking crap, like the bus rides.
Speaker 4: Like that kind of stuff. You know. That was that was what I missed. But I'm still able to do all that here.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: I have my whole morning routine here that I do and I started doing, you know, doing things I've never been able to do. Last year was you know, taking these trips, learning how to free dive, learning like you know, just different styles of fishing and trying to go and go on like you know, crazy adventures where we take the boat.
Speaker 4: I mean we did a few trips this year.
Speaker 5: We took the boat one hundred and fifty miles out into the middle of nowhere, stuck on the boat for three days and just fish for three days like some like more hardcore stuff than ever been.
Speaker 4: Able to do.
Speaker 1: That's amazing.
Speaker 4: It's been It's been great, dude, it's been fun.
Speaker 1: The Dodger sucked you back in last year when we were in Tampa. It was it was out there that that you got sucked back in to be the Mookie whisperer to help him try to get out of the season long slump.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, yeah. I mean me and Muk go way back, so you know, for him, I definitely.
Speaker 5: Made the exception of coming out and going out there and spending a weekend with him and you know.
Speaker 4: Trying to get him back on track. It was like, God, a few times we did it? Did it? I did it there? And then I did in l A too?
Speaker 1: Did you really?
Speaker 4: So? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Help him with? What do you help him with?
Speaker 4: How?
Speaker 1: Why does J. D. Martinez connect with him so much?
Speaker 4: I don't know. I mean I think we both a want of trust.
Speaker 5: He trusts me, uh he you know, he values my opinion on everything, and from there it was kind of one of those things where we just we work well together.
Speaker 4: And I don't know, I feel like I just have a really good understanding of his swing in his mind.
Speaker 5: You know, Mooki's on Mooke's you know, on nbelievable unbelievable talent, as everybody knows. It's just sometimes this game it just derails you sometimes and you need.
Speaker 4: Someone to you know, lock it back in. You know. Robert Robert was that guy. Robert was that guy for me.
Speaker 5: You know, every time I would get derailed, Robert would kind of guide me back in and it was a lot of trust that I put into him, and it always kind of works. Sometimes you just got to turn your brain off and.
Speaker 4: Let someone else think for you, cause you just get in your own way.
Speaker 1: Mooky's coming to camp earlier than I've ever seen him come to camp to work since twenty twenty. Do you expect him you know, there's a lot of people that expect the beginning of the end last year for Mookie. Do you expect him to have, you know, more of a Mookie type year?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean you just the thing with Muk is you just you know, you never know, he just turns on a switch and all of a sudden, he doesn't get out.
Speaker 4: For freaking three months, and you're like, what the heck just happened. It's like Freddie, you know, they're able to just go on these runs where you're like, good luck, you know, so for me to say that, I always for me.
Speaker 5: I always expect Muki to have a great year. You know, I tell him every I tell him all the time. I said, Muke, I said, there's no reason that you can't win MVP every single year because you have that kind of ability.
Speaker 1: And if I mean to you again this year, would you answer the phone? Would they be able to suck you back into the cage?
Speaker 4: I mean, if Mookie called me, yeah, I definitely would, you know, I mean Muchie's my guy.
Speaker 1: So what what.
Speaker 4: It always did? We've always had a big relationship.
Speaker 1: I wanted I wanted you to be part of what they got now. But watching it the last two years, do you even watch their games? Did you even watch the World Series?
Speaker 5: Yeah? No, the World Series is unbelievable. I mean it's kind of it was. It was unreal games with you know, Toronto, and.
Speaker 4: It was it was crazy. It was crazy. It was just crazy.
Speaker 5: You know, there were so many times you thought Toronto was going to win the game. They were just right there and I was like, oh, if they don't score here, they're not going to win this type thing. And you know, the Dodgers just you guys just had that veteran, you know, leadership and presence, and it's just a veteran club.
Speaker 4: And you give you give those guys with.
Speaker 5: That much talent enough opportunities, they're gonna you guys are going to find a way for sure.
Speaker 4: And I think that's what happened.
Speaker 1: Hey, JD. Martinez is going to be at the UH the Big Smash in Lakina beginning on Monday, the Desert Smash. But I got to ask you when you were at the Red Sox and you guys beat the Dodgers. Chris Sale did heroic things, including you know, coming out of the bullpen in game five, where would you rank with where what Yamamoto did in game six and seven?
Speaker 4: Especially unreal, unbelievable.
Speaker 5: You know, Nadi Valdi was our guy, that he was our Yama Moto in that twenty eighteen run. But what I mean what Yamamoto did was I.
Speaker 4: Mean, it was definitely the reason he won the MVP. I mean that was ridiculous.
Speaker 5: I faced him one time in twenty twenty twenty twenty four with the Mets at our place and it was freezing, and I remember he was throwing.
Speaker 4: Himself, Like Jesus, how does anybody hit this guy. This guy's nasty. He didn't know what the hell the ball was gonna do. It was like playing with the ball at ninety seven miles an hour.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean he is, you know, he is small in stature and his hands aren't as big as Pedro Martinez JD. But I don't know he found something after he came off the il in twenty four.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was. I mean he was feeling it. He felt great. You could see it that he felt great.
Speaker 5: And he just rode that whole wave, you know, and he was just he was lighted out.
Speaker 1: Where were you watching Game seven of the World Series on a boat somewhere? Where were you?
Speaker 4: No, No, actually.
Speaker 5: Watching game on the games earlier, like on a boat.
Speaker 4: Me and Alex Avila were on his boat.
Speaker 5: He's got a sixty eight foot Vikings, beautiful boat, and we were on his boat watching it. But the game seven, I was on my I was on my couch with my friends and I was I.
Speaker 4: Was standing up the whole game. I was like, oh my god, this is crazy.
Speaker 5: There was I mean, there were so many plays the play at the plate that Blue Jays had bases loaded like two three times. You guys had bases loaded, no one to get it, no one, you know, drive it in that last run.
Speaker 4: And I was like, oh, this is not looking good for Toronto. I already see it. You can't give these guys this amount of.
Speaker 5: Opportunities, you know, And it was just I mean, kudos to the Dodgers man, and you know what Andrew's been able to do there, It's unbelievable the team he's been able to put together.
Speaker 1: Do you think they repeat this year?
Speaker 4: I mean, it's hard to see. It's it's hard to stay up, you know. I mean it's hard to say. No.
Speaker 5: It's just one of those things where I mean that the lineup, the pitching, like, there's not many weaknesses the Dodgers have.
Speaker 4: It's just the.
Speaker 5: Only weakness that they have is that they've been to the World.
Speaker 4: Series, you know, the last two years and they've won. So that's a lot of wear and tear on the bodies.
Speaker 5: And that's the only downside you look at when you see a team like that trying to.
Speaker 4: Go back and three peat. I mean, it's not a lot of teams have done it.
Speaker 5: It's so tough with health, you know, you got to keep everybody healthy, and those those leverage, intings, those things that you know, like what Yamamoto was able to do. We saw it in twenty eighteen coming back in twenty nineteen with Rick Porcello and David Price, Like you could see those guys had to really stretch it out in eighteen and they kind of caught up to them in nineteen. So that's just that's the hardest part about you know, about the playoffs and pushing it that long because you don't know, you know, the wear and tear you create because you're just so much adrenaline going through you in those games.
Speaker 1: Well, he would know. He beat the Dodgers with the Red Sox in twenty eighteen. He finished his career with three hundred and thirty one home runs. And his most magical season was not in Boston. It was right here in La In my opinion, just kidding JD. That was my favorite year were it was. We had so much fun. Yeah, man, we had so much fun. And I hope you come back to LA. I hope the Dodgers can find a place for you, because you do have a lot to offer. But at the very least, the Mookie Whisperer always has a bat phone for Mookie to call to get him back on track. I feel like you. Yeah, you're more than Mookie's whisper. You have a lot to offer to a lot of guys, JD. So maybe when you dock the boat you could go to the cache and help guys.
Speaker 4: I appreciate it. We'll see, we'll see.
Speaker 1: I missed you, JD.
Speaker 4: I miss you too, buddy. I've always been watching. I'm watching you.
Speaker 5: I watch all your interviews every now and then to see who uh you're giving that dead fish handshake too.
Speaker 1: I tried with CONFORDO. It got him going for a week, but you know, it can only do so much.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel that.
Speaker 1: Now people are talking about my nipples instead of my wrist and my dead fish handshake now, oh no, for real? Oh yeah. During the celebration, it went, uh.
Speaker 4: You know, got to be something did oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was. It was that and they showed it on Jimmy Kimmel and it became.
Speaker 4: A fan that's right, up's alley.
Speaker 1: All right, j D. I can talk to you forever, man. I know. It's great to share you again with Dodger fans. It was a great excuse to have you on since you're gonna be on the West coast Lakinta the pick a Ball Smash coming up on Monday, and uh, I can't wait to see some photos on on your ig and uh man, you were You're a special guy. And that's to this day, so many guys still still miss America's DH.
Speaker 4: I appreciate it, David, thank you, thanks so much for having me, buddy.
Speaker 1: We'll do it again soon. JD thanks a.
Speaker 4: Lot, definitely. I man, I'll talk to you later.
Speaker 1: There he goes America's DH. JD. Martinez. Great to have him on the show. And man, he certainly is the Mooki whisperer. He can connect with Mooki more than any other teammate, and that's evident by Mooki tapping into JD. Martinez not once but twice last year, once when the team was in Tampa, Florida, and JD just told us again in Los Angeles. So great to have JD on the show. He's going to be at the Desert Smash Pickleball Celebrity tournament going on beginning Monday at the Lakita Resort. So thank you to JD. Martinez for calling in the dead Fish Handshake Alive via the phone and Dave Roberts who took some time out for us earlier today as well. Thanks to you for listening. It's been an action pack Dodger Talk week. Four out of the five days we have had a Dodger Talk. In case you missed any of the shows, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. And thank you to Ronnie Fossio for all his help all week long. We do have Dodger Baseball for you tomorrow Dodgers and Cubs split squad. We'll have the A team at Camelback Ranch tomorrow. Our coverage begins at eleven thirty with first pitch between the Dodgers and Cubs at twelve oh five. That'll do it for us until then, have a great rest of your Friday. Be safe, see you