Speaker 1: An American.
Speaker 2: Slowly on seven undterd WLW. You know, you kind almost set your watch by this stuff. Every four years, when the political parties change, you have people who are on the outside looking in, and the voices get louder for a lot of different things. You kind of heard a little bit about it, and it's always been a topic. But wealth inequality is going to blow up over the next four years simply because you have a Republican in office, and when you have policies that just feel the fire for people who are well socialists or simply think by existing they deserve X amount of dollars for just showing up. But we know America generally is built on marriage of meritocracy. Now again, i'd say an asterisk because some people are born on third base thinking they hit a triple when that is not the case. I mean, let's face it, we have a young generation who's shackled by things like college debt and taking on the ability to own a house, to start a family, to buy a new car, all the things we kind of took for granted when we were younger ourselves. It's become a lot harder to do that. I appreciate that, but there is something to be said about hard work and showing up, and some things do indeed need to change. And you look at the distribution of wealth in this country, it is a problem if you don't have a burgeoning middle and lower class in order to buy the stuff that they manufacture. But to you simply broad brushing and turn capitalism some sort of evil and something that has to be undone is absolutely silly. Derek Bullen is a expert in the area of wealth and how we look at this in America, And Derek, welcome back. And I think we're going to start to hear more loudly than we have in the past that wealth is a four letter word. So just whear it's a curse word, it's an epithet.
Speaker 3: I know, the narrative is so calmonplace, it's just shame forn and it's all over on the rich, and none of it's correct.
Speaker 4: It's so highly incorrect.
Speaker 3: I thought I should get out there and just get the facts out for what they really are.
Speaker 2: Well, when you say rich or wealthy, what is that? Even because it's such a general term, it's relative to where you are. You know, if I make twelve dollars an hour, the guy making twenty dollars an hours wealthy, right, and if you're making twenty so it's all relative.
Speaker 5: To who you are.
Speaker 3: So true, it's so true. You know, it actually is absolutely relative to who you are. So, you know, I grew up in the fairly poor, working class neighborhood in Calgary, and even when we just moved up one to just a slightly nicer neighborhood, all of a sudden, we were rich, you know. And but I think in the for the mainstream, I think, and for the politicians, they always run it against the one percent, or they always run it against the billionaires. But even there, what they're saying is not true. You know, it's tax time, right, and there will be about one point six billion in taxes collected by the IRS federally, and the top one percent will pay forty percent of that amount, like they're paying for almost forty percent of the roads, schools, hospitals, everything. And the one percent is not enough to you know, vote in a politician or vote out a politician. But they are the golden goose that always gets squeezed. Nobody knows that the bottom fifty seven percent of people that work last year will pay no federal incompacts at all. So when I hear, you know, Joe Biden saying pay your fair share, like, how much more than forty percent of the burden carried by one percent of the population, was he what's he looking for? You know, it's almost ludicrous when you look at the numbers.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And the thing is too, is that I know we'll get more on this in a second, but but to me, the tax a rich plan, it doesn't it doesn't stack up because even if you survey the typical America and they'll tell you it's like, I get it, there's going to be able to make more money, and we kind of need those people because it inspires the rest of us to work our butts off to get where they are. You're an entrepreneur, you started with nothing and you employ some three thousand people in the IT field right now, So we love that, Drew. Now you're Canadian. But again it's the what we call here the American dream, right that that I at least have a chance if I if I a little bit of lock and a lot of hard work will get me where I want to be.
Speaker 3: Exactly right, And you know, it is a hard A lot of hard work, and these these politicians like Sanders, they say, oh, it is the rich get richer, They're doing it on the backs of everybody else.
Speaker 4: That's not true.
Speaker 3: As the rich get richer, everybody's getting more prosperous. You know, when President Johnson started the War on Poverty in nineteen sixty four, there were almost no billionaires in the United States and poverty was nineteen point five percent in the United States. Today, with the US having the most billionaires in the world, poverty full income poverty has dropped two point three percent, and globally, poverty's fallen in half and lifespans increased.
Speaker 4: As we've gone from.
Speaker 3: Back in the eighties, maybe there were fifteen billionaires to the day there's almost three thousand billionaires on the globe. The pie has gotten bigger, and I can give you lots of really good example Scott on how the pie has gotten bigger and multiple people have benefited, not just the person making it.
Speaker 2: Well, give me one good example of a dummy like me. Can understand. I don't talk over my head now, I'm not wealthy like you.
Speaker 4: No, no problem.
Speaker 3: So in twenty twenty, the value of Amazon jumped by five hundred and eighty billion, and everyone's like five hundred and seventy billion, and everyone was like, Jeff bezos networks went up by fifty seven billion, Oh, the shame of the shame. And what they didn't realize is he owns ten percent of Amazon.
Speaker 4: The only reason he owns.
Speaker 3: Is because he founded They created the company and put in the work. But the other ninety percent of Amazon is owned by institutions, and it's owned by banks, it's owned by insurance companies, it's owned by unions, and it's owned by the government. And so what nobody talked about was the half trillion dollars, just over half a trillion, that those people made at the same time. That's the wealth Bezos created for them. And so anytime someone's getting a pension, said teacher, or a fireman's getting a pension in California, someone gets a new loan for a car, somebody gets a home insurance claim paid, there's Amazon wealth, a little bit of Amazon wealth, and all of that.
Speaker 4: And so, you know, being the CEO of.
Speaker 3: A company like that, you're putting on this great buffet for everyone to come and enjoy. You're buying the groceries, cooking it up and only at the end, if you did a good jobs, there is there a plate left for you. So that's one way. Every time Bezels makes a dollar, he's got to remember he's just made nine for everybody else, like nine for everybody else. And while he's doing that, well he's doing that, he's paying out forty six billion in salaries every year, So forty six billion goes out to pay one point six million workers. It's like a small army. And while he's still doing that, he's.
Speaker 4: Paying out another forty two billion.
Speaker 3: Forty eight billion goes out for the forty six billion goes out to employees, forty two billion is going out to research and development that is cutting edge. Amazon Web Services is one of the largest cloud computing companies on the planet. So that's that's a way that And it's like that for every entrepreneur, Elong Musk, Bezols, Bill Gates, they make the majority of the money for the people that before they make theirs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's in this case, we it's easy to pick a Jeff Bezos or a Bill Gates in point at them and go bad evil. Look at all the money, Look at the wealth. This guy has homes all over the world and not for want, and people are starving. And yet if you look at the people who are making money basically riding his coattails, or I guess the way I would look at it is how many people, how many working folks and the like will put a bet on March Madness or the super Bowl or the World Series, something along those lines. Throw a little money out there, buy a lottery ticket. That's the way I look at stock op or buying stock right, is that if I buy some stock, as opposed to a lottery ticket, I'm now investing that money back in the company, allowing them to invest in the things you mentioned and hopefully return to me a profit. And that's why you have winners and losers on Wall Street. But anyone now can get into the game. If you have a smartphone and you know, twenty bucks into your account, you could literally buy a small shell be of a small share, but a small share of company. Or buy Apple when it's you know, twenty eight cents as opposed to where it is today, you could.
Speaker 3: You know, I always tell my kids, if you can't budget, you know, one thousand dollars, you won't be able to budget a million dollars.
Speaker 4: And it's like that.
Speaker 3: You know, most lottery winners, most seventy percent of the lottery winners are broken in depth two years after they win the lottery. And Bezos was successful with Amazon, but you know Dave Cook who started Blockbuster five billion in market cap down to zero in five years. Not everybody successful running a business, and Bezos is one guy. I have as much respect for Bezos as they do for the guy running a store down on the corner with three employees. And they're both doing the same thing. They're both multiplying prosperity, you know, in their communities.
Speaker 2: Derek Bullet on the show this morning on seven hundred w LW. It's pretty daring, but he is talking about defending wealth, and that is that wealth is a good thing, not a bad thing. As we talk about executive pay and you know, taxes and welfare and social programs and expanding government and taxing the rich and all of those things, the reality is we need wealthy people in the marria. One of the other elements of this too, Derek W'll point out is, you know, you talked about people rising up because of people like Jeff Bezos or Bill Gates or whatever, but the idea is that you're creating new new device. If look at this way, we have new technology out there that's just jaw dropping. For example, space travel no Elon Musk. And because of that, at some point, probably not in our lifetimes, but down the line, it travel to space will become affordable for the average person, I think anyway. But that's typically how it works, is the ultra wealthy by these cool new developments and investing technology and things we can only dream about, and then it becomes mass produced electric cars. Look where they are.
Speaker 3: Now, sure, electric cars, smartphones, and you know they talk about Elon Musk as if all he's doing is taking people up to space. He's taking satellites up into space. So a lot of the telecommunications that you get is courtesy of Elon Musk, you know, having a cheaper way to bring satellites. When this terrible invasion of the Ukraine, it's actually Elon Musk move satellites in front of them so they can have the free Internet. And you know what's interesting, el Must Jeff Bezos, they did not inherit their wealth. In fact, two thirds of everyone in the Fortune four hundred today in the United States made their wealth and their lifetime. Two thirds of those billionaires and eighty percent of the millionaires and billionaires in the UK are self made.
Speaker 4: So it's not like it's an entitlement.
Speaker 3: It's something people work for and the people that work for it, they're like elite athletes. Like it takes a nation to build a Michael Jordan, it takes a nation to build a Jeff Bezos or a Bill Gates or a Dice. And they the vacuum guy in the UK, and they are just like the lead athletes. You have to work in an insane amount of hours and there's no guarantee that you're going to make it. And just like an injury can take an athlete out of the game for the rest of their life, if you get a fatal injury in business, there's no recovery. The business is just over it, you know, just like I was saying earlier Life Blockbuster, the.
Speaker 6: Business is just not.
Speaker 3: So These are people and they're making the pie bigger for everyone. They're paying most of the tax. They also, by the way, pay most of the charitable donations in the United States. The average charitable donation, church payments, everything included, it's about five hundred and seventy bucks, and about half of the Americans will donate something. But if you look at total charity four hundred and eighty billion a year, one third of that comes from the one percent.
Speaker 4: And eighty five percent of bequests, which is.
Speaker 3: Different than giving in your lifetime. But the quest is when I die, what do I do with this money? Like Warren Buffet said, I'm going to give it all away? The Gates said, they give it all away, and they're well on their way to doing it. Eighty five percent of bequests come from the top one percent too, So it's a slowly very supportive of the tax system. Everyone's paying more than their fair share. They're very supportive when government can or won't step in and a nonprofit has to step in to do the work. So the government in California, France, and United States, Canada are all so dependent on the one percent paying taxes. Any pay more, more money, you make, more taxes you make, all these all these governments are very very dependent on the one percent coming in and paying taxes. I mean that that's one hundred thousand people in a state besides of California paying one third of.
Speaker 4: The state taxes this year.
Speaker 3: If they weren't there, the state would be totally screwed if the one percent, if the one percent wasn't wasn't here, it would look a lot like socialism, and people would be like, where is the money for everything? Well, the people who made it left, And it's a different one percent every generation, because the majority of people make their millions or billions in their lifetime.
Speaker 2: And we're starting to see it, and we're seeing that acidus. We're seeing that exodus from the top tier people from California. Is that, you know, I think generosity lasts up till a point. One thing too to add about Europe and everyone else is if you look at what we do in the US, it's it's interesting as you see now Russia at the wolf of the dorso to speak like an existential threat like Russia's right now is all always look to the United States help bail them out. And I think there's an economic component of that too. Exactly what we're talking about right here is that if we continue to make everyone dependent on government, who's funding the government, Well, we're starting to see that in areas of Europe right now, and now they're looking and going, okay, well we didn't see Russia coming at all. Who's going to bail us out? It's going to the United States. And I think because of what you're talking about here, that's probably why.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's probably why. You know, a good society.
Speaker 3: Ned States is arguably the greatest country in the world. It's a third of the world economy. And you have a vibrant business sector. You have a very large government who provides a lot of valuable services. And then you've got an amazing arts community, right, I mean, you've got a wad, You've got everything there. But the business has to make the money first. Then the government takes the money and that's taxes, and it uses some of it, and then it redistributes some of it and that goes.
Speaker 4: To the arts community.
Speaker 3: And then where it doesn't get covered again, businesses or wealth creators. That's true, the nonprofits and everything that they make up in the slack. But first you have to have this vibrant business sector. You were talking about the exodus out of California. You know, for everything California has, they're down over three hundred and sixty four thousand people a year leave. And that's like the city of Anaheim picking up and leaving, and it's because the taxes in California. If you're in the private sector taking all the risk, making all the money, you make about on average seventy grand a year. If you're in the public sector, on average, you make twice as much. They pay the public sector of plaice twice as much.
Speaker 4: They've got the whole.
Speaker 3: Thing inverted in that California. That's why everyone's leaving. So it's not just high profile names like Elon Musk or Rockstar Gens.
Speaker 4: Simmons that are leaving.
Speaker 3: You know, Tesla SpaceX they're located in Texas. Heel At Packard moved to Texas. Everyone knows Microsoft is the world's largest software company, but Oracle is very close at number two.
Speaker 4: They've moved to Texas.
Speaker 3: Digital Realty Trust the biggest commercial realty company world, They've moved to Texas. The exodus just keeps going past the beer company they've moved to Texas. You know, it's just crazy, the exodus because California is just squeezing the one percent out.
Speaker 2: I think there's a point when it comes to exaggerated wealth inequality too. I don't know how you bring that back down. You know, taxing the top one percent, for example, so popular, but we can only take so much money out of that, out of that particular group. Right, how do you bat, how do you how do you solve the issue of exaggerated wealth.
Speaker 7: In the quality?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, the media is amped that up.
Speaker 3: The media has grown wealth inequality stories at about fifty times higher than stories on real property. And people that have extreme wealth, the majority of them has said, well, first of all, it's it's hard to hang on to it, hard to hang on to welcome with the three generations. But the majority of them, Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, Mark Zickelberger said I will give back ninety nine percent of my wealth the society I made.
Speaker 4: It in before they go.
Speaker 3: And most people start donating as they get later in life. They're using their money to build their company, build their company, build their company, like Bill Gates with Microsoft. Then when they're old, they're like, I'm starting a forty five billion dollars save the world stot and malaria, get a vaccazine for AIDS fund. Right, you know, excessive wealth comes back into society.
Speaker 4: It's just hard to keep.
Speaker 2: You can't spend it all, you can't take it with you. Right, that's why and if you're wired to work all the time. I have friends like that. It's like, well, you're not going to die and leave all this money to their government and kids who are just going to simply take the money and spend it on fun stuff that you didn't do. Derek Bullen uh in Defense of Wealth is zame of the book. Thanks again for the time, Derek, appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Scott.
Speaker 2: How about some news weather traffic. Let's do that in about four minutes here on seven hundred WW.
Speaker 8: All right.
Speaker 2: We live in an age of political retribution. Authorititics is about winning, and now more so than ever in our lifetime, it's about retribution. And that is true nationally. And I'm sure a lot of people go, oh, you must be talking about Trump if I were talking about it locally. It's really interesting what's happening here in Cincinnati, Ohio. And I go back, of course to the beatdowns over the summer, where you had an individual who is the victim, which we thought was a victim. Then it turns out, well, no, he may be the We want to charge him like the assailants, and so you do that, and we have not heard anything about of course, this case for some time, it kind of got swept under the rug. I don't know how you do that, but it did in a sense. Is it because we had to come to some sort of preordained conclusion and make the make the evidence fit what it does we came to in the first place. Is that happening to some degree right now? With the decision by Hamlin County Prosecutor County Pelach last Friday, we could go tomorrow. Relative to the Elwood Jones case. Elwood Jones was blamed for the beating death of sixty seven year old road to Nathan and Connie Pellich had been considering for months want to pursue a new trial or drop the charges. She went, and it is it's one thing to go, hey, you don't what there's there's new evidence out there. And she even said, so we have new science that we think exonerates. Okay, well bring it forward and let's hear that. What happened, though, was this is more about saying, well, we're going to set up this I guess commission or board or whatever you want to call it, in order to examine cases to make sure that only people guilty of crimes go to prison. Or go to death row is a case of Elwood Jones, and that was a cornerstone of her campaign when she won office last year. All right, sons out well and good and you make a case of that and go, okay, we have to find a case now that would exemplify and launch this thing because we need something to go. This is why we need to do this. We need a concrete example of injustice, gross injustice. And when you do that, of course, you prosecute the individuals who prosecuted Elwood Jones. You make them out to be bad people in a sense, and saying they took evidence, they hit it. And you know, the four thousand pages are left out of this case, by the way, may add kind of inconsequential from what I understand. I certainly didn't read the four thousand pages, but I think to go after Joe Dieters then the prosecute at the time, and to some degree Mark peepe Meyer, the lead attorney in this case. It's one thing to say, hey, we have new evidence because of science and overturn. It's other to say we took that science and it shows you it was a conspiracy to Frank Melwood Jones, which of course borders on slander and libel. I bring this up because I don't know about you. I wasn't around when this crime happened. I was pretty young when this thing happened, had no recollection. I've been heard and heard it second hand yesterday on the show on Willy's Show. If you missed this, it's via the podcast, and it's absolutely compelling to listen to Joe Dieters, now Ohio Supreme Court Justice and Mark Pittmeyer, who was the lead attorney in this case Santa with Willy and Mark as the lead attorney, laid out the case. Is the evidence that they had against Elwood Jones back in nineteen ninety four, and it is it's pretty interesting. Let me play that for you real quick.
Speaker 9: Elwood Jones was working on the second floor of the Embassy Suites hotel in the afternoon of I think it was a Friday afternoon, setting up a banquet room when a couple arrived to go into the room next door to where he was working. That was Joe Kaplan and Elaine Shue. Elwood could have easily seen them go into that room, and our theory as he did see them knew that it was a couple staying in that room. Later that night, after Elwood got off of work, rode to Nathan, our victim showed up. Elwood did not realize now that there are three people in the room. The next morning, the couple that first arrived went down to breakfast and rote of Nathan is in the room. She's going to take a shower, and Elwood is also working in the room right next door.
Speaker 7: That day.
Speaker 9: It's a banquet room with the door open, and Elwood is a thief. He's a career thief. And our belief is is that he saw an opportunity, went in the room because he thought it was open and confronts. Wrote to Nathan, rode to Nathan, is savagely beaten. She died of blunt force trauma. There was very little blood at the scene because it was just beaten to death. About a half hour later, the couple comes back from breakfast, open the door and they find Roda Nathan laying on the floor.
Speaker 5: All she had on her was a bath towe.
Speaker 9: They think, oh my god, she must have had a heart attack, and they call paramatics and they come and they're treating her, trying to revive her from what they believed was a heart attack. Two other things were noticed by the couple at the time. There was a distinctive handweight made necklace that Rhoda always wore around her neck and it was missing. Also, Elaine Shub noticed there were hundreds of dollars of cash that she had in her purse that was taken. One other thing is this is a you know, thirty years ago or so on. Back then, they didn't have the electronic key cards. You needed a key to get in the door, and the door latched automatically, but Joe Kaplan was sure when he left the room, he did what most people do, checked to made sure it was securely locked because they didn't want it open. With rood In taking a shower. When Rhoda gets to the hospital, she dies. They take her to the coroner's office and lo and behold, they find that she died from blunt for's trauma.
Speaker 5: A couple other things about her body.
Speaker 9: There was a couple of distinctive bruises that were developed on her body. One was very consistent with a walkie talkie which some of the workers in the hotel were issued. Elwood Jones was one of those. There was also a door chain a latch, which is kind of an unusual mark to have on a body. She also had that on her body, and it told us that whoever did this three things we know for sure. The person had to have a master key. The person also had to have a walkie talkie, and the person also had to have one of these door latches. We also know that the person that did this took Rhoda's necklace. When Elwood Jones arrived at work that morning, everybody noticed he was fine. A couple hours later, people noticed that his left hand was bandaged and people said, elwo, what happened to your hand?
Speaker 5: Person?
Speaker 9: He said, well, I's taking some trash out and I fell and I cut it. And somebody else asked him, he says, well, when I was up on the second floor taking down that banquet room, a piece of the floor and fell on my hand and he cut it.
Speaker 5: So some inconsistent things.
Speaker 9: Immediately, when Blue ass started investigating, they realized one.
Speaker 5: Very important thing.
Speaker 9: Whoever did this had to be in the hotel that morning and had to have a master key, and that limited the suspect pool from hundreds of people in the hotel to about four people. You know what I'm saying this, I feel like I've given an opening statement again. But these are the facts, and this is what we presented to the jury. About four or five days later, Elwood's hand got very infected and he's thinking, I'd better do something about this. And he goes to some clinic and there's a doctor, John McDonough, who taught at UC Med School, and he was one of the best hand surgeons in the country. And one day a month he would volunteer to go to this clinic and treat people basically for free. It's almost like God said, I want you there that day because I want someone to see what Elwood has. And Elwood comes in and his left hand has severely sworn. It's Elwood, what what happened to your hand? And he gives them a couple other stories. And the doctor knows that anytime you've got a cut in one of your knuckles, chances are you pop somebody in the mouth. He also knows that inside the human gum line there's a bacteria Aikinela Crodins. I don't know science very well. Hell, I want to Roger Bacon I Joe couldn't get in, but he had to settle for saying it's just sad, you know, but we have standards like you. Anyway, he knew that if I don't treat this hand for Konela crones or tests for it, he's going to lose his hand. So even though Elwood said I cut it on something, he tested for this bacteria that's in the gum line. Lo and behold, it's Akonela crodins. In fact, he was so sure of this he took a picture of Elwood's hand to teach to his medical students and said, if an anybody ever comes in with a hand swollen like this, you've got to test for that bacteria because if you don't, they're probably gonna lose their hands. So when this came out, everybody started focusing on Elwood. Blueesh police got a search warrant for his car, for his home, for his trunk of his car. A couple things they found. Number one, they found Alwaukee talkie. That actually Joe and I went to Washington, d C. And had the FBI lab look at it and they were able to match it. Again, it's Alwaukee talkie. There were more than one in that hotel, but it matched all the rivets and everything matched exactly the mark on road of Nathan's check chest. Also in his toolbox there was one of these door latches and that also matched the toolmark. The impression of that door lock on her chest, which is again that's a lot more unusual than Milwaukee Talkie. But the absolute thing that clinched it all was that pendant of Rooda Nathan. They were in a picture of taking of road to Nathan wearing that and it matched exactly that pendant found in the trunk of Elwood Jones's car.
Speaker 5: I think that's a pretty darn good case.
Speaker 8: That is.
Speaker 2: Then lead prosecutor of this case, Mark pitp Meyer in Study Yester with Joe Dieters and Willie Who. I hear the entire thing. It's really compelling. Obviously I play at all. I was a pretty long segment, I understand, but that's available the iHeartRadio podcast page. Just go to the iHeartRadio app down load. There is really really tough to listen to, but also compelling at the same time. If you're a friend of a true crime, I hear this and go okay.
Speaker 8: Well.
Speaker 2: Prosecutor County Pillows last week said that you know evidence was left out. It made you think makes one think believing that there was some conspiracy against Elwood Jones all these years.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I listened to that and go, yeah, it's all circumstantial evidence. But if you take enough pieces of circumstantial evidence and put it all together, how many people could possibly have done what Elwood Jones was accused of doing. So you know, if you just said, hey, he was working in the room next to this couple and he had a robbery record, he had a jacket, I don't know how many, how thick that was, but nonetheless he had prior history work in the room next to them. They go to breakfast, he sees that they left to go you know what if I were, and Jerry go, okay, well I can't convict a guy on that, just as soon as he happenstance, Okay, four people that day had a master key. Well, that narrows it down. He also had a walkie talkie. I don't know how many people on duty that day had a walkie talkie. How many people had access to a doordling a door chain latch in their toolbox? I went, I don't know, if you hit something and you push them into the door, But the way the marks were on the body and is such. There's no way from what I understand, it could have been attached to the door. It had to be a loose storchain, a latch which pretty heavy. You look at that go out, it's almost like a little many mace sort of thing you can swing around. The fact that it worked that day, he was fine middle of the day. He has his hand bandaged up, and different stories as to how that accident occurred. And then, of course the compelling piece of evidence here the infection consistent with bacteria in the mouth. Now I know that she also wrought a had appatitis B and they said, well that's easily that's sort of a lot more communicable than this particular disease. But you know, again, you have it in your mouth, and she tested positive Ford and you had the injury. How many people out of that Ford does it have left? You look at all this stuff and go, okay, he had the radio, he had the key, he had the door latch, and then you find the necklace in his trunk. How did it end up there?
Speaker 8: You know?
Speaker 2: Did I found it and I threw a Why Okay, if I found a necklace, you'd probably put in your pocket, take it down and lost and found. But it was in his car, in his trunk of all things. I'm like, all right, I understand that we have new forensic evidence data that's coming out that could refute a lot of this stuff, But for the life of me, I can't figure out how it's anyone but Elwood Jones. But the problem is, as I said, you know, politics today is about retribution. And you know, if you say, having to come up with a commission in order to make sure that only people who are in jail or in prison are there to make sure that we're consistent with our convictions, and you know, to look through it. And I think that's a noble thing. But in order to make that commission, you need a reason, and the reason would be Elwood Jones is this And I think that quite honestly, would happened with the assaults over the summer that you know, we saw the rush to judgment there, and we saw the rush to try and convict someone of a racial crime when it turns out he was the victim of racial crime. And of course once that was discovered, you don't hear about the story anymore. With these over the summer beatdowns. Do we have the same kind of thing happening here to a degree where you're like, hey, I got to come up with a commission here, and now we've got to find someone. And it just seems like Elwood Jones, who's been very vocal about his imprisonment as being innocent, as all people in prison are pretty innocent if you listen to their story, that we found a guy who could be the poster child for what it is we're seeking to do. Which side do you believe? Scott's loan seven hundred WW do.
Speaker 10: You want to be an American idiot?
Speaker 2: Barry w Enderwick has a very cool Instagram free so every day for the past number of years, he makes a sandwich, makes a sandwich, and not just any sandwich. He takes and makes a sandwich that was popular at various times throughout history. So for example, he creates what they're eating and let's say nineteen eighteen. I don't know what that is they were eating in nineteen eight eighteen, but safe to say, you know what sandwiches in nineteen eighteen sucked compared to today. We are like, this is the golden era of food. Let's just call it what it is. His ig is at Sandwiches of History. He makes one of those things today and he's got literally billions of followers here and he joins the show now to talk about it. Also has a book called Sandwich The History of the Cookbook.
Speaker 6: Barry W.
Speaker 2: Dwick Welcome. So are you Berry?
Speaker 8: Thank you? I am doing great. How about yourself?
Speaker 2: I'm doing fine. I mean I like to eat man and I'm guessing that's how you started this whole thing. What the fascination with sandwiches? Howd that begin?
Speaker 8: Well? First of all, who doesn't love a sandwich? Always loved the sandwiches. And the thing about sandwiches it's great is you can change up everything about it and it's portable, right, you can change out the bread, have the breads treated, what's between the bread? So I just I love sandwiches in general. But I found this PDF of the up to date Sandwich book that was published in nineteen oh nine, and I was like, wow, So these are what they thought were the bees knees and nineteen oh nine, and some of them quite clearly are not. But I thought it'd be fun to do on social media kind of share with people. And it turns out people are interested in these old rereacipees, and I found that, you know, most of the breast feeds fell in this area where they were like, you know, if you just had an ingredient or two, these might be pretty good. So that's where the whole I'm gonna plus this up concept came from.
Speaker 2: Nice everything. I'm a food I'm not liking over the top foody, but I'm a foodie and I you know what I I see like an I don't know the menu that was served on the day the Titanic sunk. I'm just I'm fascinated with like what they thought was great at that time, like jello or you know, and stuff either you look at it and go, man, I really really like elderberries or whatever the hell it is at that period of time. Like what was the fascination with celery? Like some of those old menus from the from the late eighteen to nineteen. It's like, well, I have celery on the mind, dude, it's celery. What's the big deal?
Speaker 1: Hey?
Speaker 8: You know? Can I can I share with you one of the oddest food trends that I came up across. And you've been doing this yeast fresh yeast real Qushian brothers. Apparently, yeah, apparently in the nineteen twenties, people started to buy bread and eventually sliced bread in nineteen twenty eight, and so they were cooking less at home, and so yeast de Man went down and the Fleshman brothers wanted to do sales. So they got together with a marketing company in New York and came up with they eat Fresh Yeast for Health campaign, and it somehow worked, and in fact, in one of the books there is a recipe for a yeast sandwich. And you know, I've never eaten wall paper paste, but I can imagine question.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, in one hundred years to own, there's a big guy doing this on whatever platform. It is a word dead and gone berry and it'd be like mucked a powder or something like that. But what the hell is that?
Speaker 5: I don't know that exactly.
Speaker 2: It's all stuff is all trending. What is the worst sandwich that you've ever eaten in from what years?
Speaker 8: You know? I do think that the yeast sandwich in theaeteen twenties was is either the worst or tied for the worst with the oyster sandwich from the up to date Sandwich Book of nineteen oh nine, which had any chopped raw oysters mixing with olive oil Worcester sauce and put it between buttered bread with lettuce, and I like raw oysters on the half show. That was an abomination. That was just it was horrible textual nightmare.
Speaker 2: I remember watching that on your feet actually and laughing at a lot like this is gonna suck and it did? You did that disappointment that?
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, sometimes it sounds they read like they're going to suck, and they don't. That doesn't happen as often as i'd like, right, But the ones that suck, yeah, they suck.
Speaker 2: We call them sandwiches. But is a sandwich a hogi, a grinder, a sub, a sanga witch? Is it all a yo? Is it all the same thing?
Speaker 8: Yes, it's all in the category of sandwich. And even what's what's funny about that is the name sandwich comes from the fourth Earl of Montague. Somehow he got his name on it. But he clearly was not the first person to put meat between breads. But he did a good job of branding and boom, we call him sandwiches.
Speaker 2: Is a taco or a hot dog? A sandwich. Why is a hot dog not a sandwich? A burger is a sandwich, but a hot dog is I.
Speaker 8: Got you, I got it.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 8: So taco I don't consider to be a sandwich because the tortilla is of uniform thickness, so it acts more like a sling than anything else. Hot dog, I think technically is a sandwich for two reasons. One, everything's made up, so just enjoy the hot dog. But two, if you look at if you look at the bun, it's kind of equal thickness on two sides, and it's a very thin hinge to accommodate the tubular meat. And then that sort of configuration kind of mirrors what you see it like Jersey Mikes or what everyone the role. So to me, technically it is a sandwich. Now, if you say, hey, do you want a sandwich and you hear me a hot dog, I'm gonna be like wait what? So there is that disconnect, But I think it technically falls in the category.
Speaker 5: I get it.
Speaker 2: I see, I feel where you're coming from here, man Berry. You know what I I love. I love the cut of your cheese. But a taco is not what and a roll up is not a sandwich, it's a roll up. It's it's a tortilla.
Speaker 8: Yeah, exactly, wrap an The rap actually describes itself.
Speaker 2: Did you ever just throw cautions and will get crazy and have a wrap berry?
Speaker 8: Oh? Yeah's wild.
Speaker 6: You never get I mean, you.
Speaker 2: Never get tired of sandwiches. It's amazing.
Speaker 8: I'm a guy who loves food. Yeah, so yeah, I'm not gonna I'm not gonna be uh. You know, it's overly prescriptive about categories. If it's something sounds delicious on.
Speaker 2: The kindred spirits here, there's no doubt about it. You mentioned the earliest, you know, the Earl of sandwich, which actually was like like a chain they have the they added to CBG at our airport when you land there in a few days. That and and he wasn't obviously the first one that I actually did a little research. So the Helll's mixtury familiar with that?
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, hello, sandwich one hundred BC. In the Jewish tradition they put together lamb and bitter herb between I believe mansa.
Speaker 2: So that's a sandwich that sounds terrible. That sounds like have you recreated that one? Because that sounds like it could serve, it could suck worse than an oyster sandwich.
Speaker 8: The modern equivalent is actually made with harrow set, which is nuts and fruits, so it actually works pretty well. I have not made it with the lamb, so and you know the bitter herb like arugula, right, yeah, crazy, it's not gonna be crazy better. So it was actually pretty good. Yeah. But there's one older than that that I've discovered that was in I've discovered. I came upon. I did not discover it someone else house. And it's called the Rogi Mo and it's from China, Shanxi Province, two hundred BC. And it's basically along the Silk Road where they created spices, and it's just a bunch of warm spices and beef that gets stewed until it's just fallen apart. Today it's made with pork belly predominantly, but it was made with beef originally, and it's put inside a griddle cake that split almost all the way through, and it's like it's delicious.
Speaker 2: Interesting, interesting, all right.
Speaker 5: Berry W.
Speaker 2: Nderwick is here. He has his ig feed and his book is Sandwich of the History of the Cookbook, where he has all this stuff in there too and just goes through different eras in world history and makes a sandwich daily on his ig feed, which is pretty damn cool in my opinion. Pretty clearly America because we're always on the go. I was talking, you know, talk about like drive throughs and stuff like that, and it's such an American thing. You go to Europe and they don't do that at all. You got you actually have to sit your ass down and have a coffee. There's no drive even if you want to use the bathroom.
Speaker 7: You got.
Speaker 2: So we obviously must lead the world in portable fool food, which is the sandwich starting with number one has got to be the Hamburger. So after that, though, when you look at world sandwiches, how would you rank who comes in second to the US?
Speaker 8: Oh? Boy, you know, the UK absolutely loves it sandwiches. You're right, they don't have drive throughs, but boy, how do you can get a sandwich just about everywhere and they're very passionate about it. Mexico has a fantastic array of sandwiches. They're all using telearro rolls or they're using Balio rows, but their torches down there are amazing. And I think outside of that, then it starts to diminish a little bit. But practically every cuisine seems to have a sandwich, which is fantastic. That's another great thing about this is like everywhere around the world. When I do an Instagram Live, I'll get people from Sweden, I'll get people from New Zealand, I'll get to Germany, I'll get I've had people from Africa tune in. The sandwich just seems to have a universal appeal.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Over in the ukn they have something called a chip Buddy and you think, oh, as was it guy? But no, it gets two slice of white bread with French fries on it and butter.
Speaker 8: It's a carb bomb and it's probably not the healthiest in the world, but it did tasty, especially if you had a pint berry.
Speaker 2: If you're going carb bomb, what would it be? Would it be a spaghetti sandwich?
Speaker 5: Did you?
Speaker 2: Was it you? You did a Was there a potato salad sandwich?
Speaker 8: I thought there was a Yeah, I just did a potato salad sandwich the other day. It had a little bit of a hard boiled eggs and manage and there, so it wasn't j just potatoes. It's kind of like a mash up between the two. I would say that the chip Buddy is probably up there with the carb bombed sandwich. It tastes like you shouldn't be eating it, but it tastes good.
Speaker 2: Gotcha?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 2: So let's do this. Give me a sandwich from each decade started on. We could do this all day, I suppose, but let's say in nineteen ten.
Speaker 8: Up, because I've done like over a thousand sandwiches.
Speaker 2: Oh man, are we doing that? Whatever do you want? Man, it's your show. I don't care this. I'm just sitting here. I'm not early entertained by This is freaking awesome. Are you kidding me? We're talking about sandwiches everyone. If you don't like a sandwich, I demand you never listened to the show.
Speaker 5: Again.
Speaker 2: Everyone loves sandwiches.
Speaker 8: Wow, Well, let's see we've got the crooked Maseur sandwich was developed in France in the nineteen ten okay, and that is what again. It's ham and cheese basically, and then fried bechamel sauce. It's quite good, it's quite decadent. And then it's the foundation for the crook Madam, which actually has an egg over easy egg on top.
Speaker 2: Is this U currently right now? I mentioned at the start Berry that this is the golden age of food. Every year it gets better and better, or maybe worse and horse and worse if you're handwringing vegan dietitian and I look at this and go, it can't get any better than it is right now. And I'm kind of joke because you go back in the day like one of your grandparents and they're like, oh, I want horsehound candy or liquorice or like you look at it and go, yeah, necko wafers, Like my god, food must have sucked when you were a kid. Necko wafers and horsehound candy, whatever there is today. I walk into a gas station, man, and I'm indodated with sugar, chocolate, peanut, butter, fruit flavors, artificial and otherwise. It's amazing. Like food back then was terrible.
Speaker 8: Well, okay, so you've got the context of what we have now now if you go back in time, if you were to go back in nineteen thirty two, for example, you knew what you had in nineteen thirty two and that was it. But I will say I agree with you, this is amazing the access that we have to ingredients. The speed with which we can get them and the convenience which was with which we can get them is unbelievable. And I'm pretty sure like the plus ups I applied to these old rust spees, if someone from that era came forward in times, it would probably blow their mind. Like what do you need to collaborate in chili paste?
Speaker 2: I know that's your thing when you when you do that, you kind of use the sandwich up you called a plus up for example. If I wanted a plus up plus up a I don't know, a Crokemond shur for example, what would you do?
Speaker 8: I'd want something a little bit with spikes. I'd probably do like a hot sauce or chili flakes, just to come through the richness because it is pretty rich.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, I mean that's the thing is that I'll have our little thing that we put add to it going. I need to use this up a little bit. It's not quite right. You do that pretty much every episode, especially the ones where you're eating the I don't know the hell little mixture. You really got to put some You gotta put a lot of ketchup on that bad boy.
Speaker 8: Yeah, there's some that require two or three ingredients to make it into something better.
Speaker 2: But yeah, exactly, all right, So in the book, you have one egg. Guy, there's a couple of rest of the cucumber tea sandwich. That sounds So that sounds so Victorian. I'm guessing it's like from that era.
Speaker 8: Right, Yeah, it's well, it's very light, and yeah, it's it's I wanted to include different categories of sandwiches in the cookbook, not just to have just sandwiches. So yeah, I included that Matie snack sandwich section. And you know, the idea behind the cookbook was I'd done. I've been doing all these recipes and when you look at the old recipes, they most of a lot of time they don't give amount in the ingredients, or the balance is off, like use two tablespoons of anchovy paste, no thank you. Plus the recipes usually make like fifteen sandwiches and about you. But I don't like dividing things by fifteen. So for the book, what I did is I adapted the recipes. I tested them so that they would make one sandwich, put in the amounts, test to what the amount should be, dialed back some, and just put together like a good cross section of sandwiches and history. Both the International Club Sandwiches just fun sandwiches, and included an original sandwich that I created as well.
Speaker 2: Oh god, well what sandwich is that? What do you call that?
Speaker 8: It's called the Dusty Nutter Goose. It was a a friend of mine who develops role playing games was launching one called Landavimi said hey, would you make a sandwich and honor?
Speaker 7: And I said sure.
Speaker 8: So I put this together and it's gonna sound insane. Okay if you think about the if you think about the flavor profiles, it works. So frozen waffle, peanut butter, smoke, duck breast and cherry pop rocks.
Speaker 2: Whoa, I get the cherry and the duck breast. That that works together? Calling our fronds. Yeah, you know what, Actually, it's one of those things you like that this is gonna be It's probably awesome.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's well, I think it's I think it's a lot of fun. I think those flavors definitely do work together. I've had I've had that before and I thought it was, like, you know, it's it's for kids who are buying a role playing game. How do you make it fun? To make the cherry pop rocks.
Speaker 2: Where you getting your pop rocks supply from?
Speaker 1: Dude?
Speaker 8: Uh, well, I don't know. I just found uh at a candy store okay here in Cleveland yesterday.
Speaker 2: All right, nice, Yeah, it's that's kind of fun. I'm like, man, I haven't seen pop rocks in a long time.
Speaker 8: It's yeah, a specific gotcha, it's focused entirely on candy because they're not at seven.
Speaker 2: Eleven right right, Yeah, you don't have them there either, not UDF anymore. Yeah, because you know, every kid would get pop rocks and coke and try to kill themselves and it never worked. Yeah, like Mike, yeah, right right, just to your head. It doesn't make it doesn't make your head explode.
Speaker 5: It off.
Speaker 2: Well, by the way, I mentioned a cucumber tea sandwich that fascinated What exact is it just cucumbers? Uh with with like mayonnaise on them?
Speaker 8: What?
Speaker 2: What's are they? I just pictures there's a little tiny slices of cucumber made in the sandwiches.
Speaker 8: Well, I'll tell you what, since they don't have a memorize and I'll look it up.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, damn, all right, I've heard that before though. You kind of jogged my memories. Like you see like the watercress sandwiches, and I don't even know what that is.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so the cucumber sandwich is just sliced thinly sliced cucumber in between, with a little salt, pepper, lemon juice in between, buttered bread. It's just meant it's like a light snack. It's not meant to be like something like here's your lunch. But you could make it into something more substantial with like shamp or avocado to because those will go well with those flavors. Gotchall so, but it's definitely a tea or a snack sandwich.
Speaker 2: I see a sandwich here called hot chicken a tuna, the hot chicken tuna sandwich. Is that just shredded chicken to be made like tuna? Or are we taking the sea and the foul and mixing them together?
Speaker 8: The hot chicken tuna sandwich, I remember correctly, that is from the seventies. Okay, let me take a look at that, because again I don't have these memorized.
Speaker 2: I got you, sorry for putting me on the spot here, Barry and Wick. I don't expect you to memorize ten thousand sandwiches you've done over the last number of years on Instagram. I get that I've turned this into like the sixty minutes of sandwiches for crying out loud.
Speaker 8: It's good. Yeah, you're holding my feet to the fire. Okay, good. Yeah. So it's uh boy, you mix. Yeah, you you basically mix together tuna, green belt pepper onion soup mix and cheddar cheese. Uh and you put that into in between bread and then you spoon on top of a mixture of uh uh chicken cream of chicken soup. It's got some herbs, you know, other than the then you bake it. Wow, and it's actually pretty tasty. You got a little skill peppery gun top, is it?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 8: That?
Speaker 2: Because that is like the most fifty sixty seventies conveniency crap I've ever heard. Right there, you're taking like.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the original original seventy four. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So like I remember, like you hear like the Benny Crocker stuff like back in the day, and that's when women were coming there, and it's like, I don't know, I don't want. I'm not gonna go out and do laundrying in a in a creek somewhere and baked bread from scratch. I'm gonna die, you know what. I'm getting some drugs and I'm gonna watch TV, and I mean, here's a here's a TV dinner scurry.
Speaker 7: You know, go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 8: I was gonna say, yeah, like seventy four was wild man, it was. It was the seventies were all about convenience and so it's cansa this, cans of that, for sure.
Speaker 2: He is Barry w Enderwick. Join him on ig at Sandwiches of History. It's the Sandwiches of History cookbook that's out right now, fascinating. He cooks a new sandwich every day and has done so for the last number of years. Barry, all the best, Thanks for jumping on this morning.
Speaker 8: Yeah, thank you, had a great time. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: All all right, if I have any breaking sandwich news in the world, I'm calling you first. You know this, right, I'm gonna put you on immediately.
Speaker 8: You got it, I'll get a red phone.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it. See you, buddy, Take care of Barry w Nderwick on the Scott's Loan Show with my boy Sonjay. Next Scott's Loan seven hundred WW Thursday Morning, Scott's Loan show continues on seven hundred WLW. One of our newer features here is health, Wellness Fitness, and he is a er doctor and he pops in every Thursday morning. This time, Sanjay, good morning. How are you Jim Crimani of course in the studio this morning. How's life?
Speaker 5: Life is good? How's it treating you right now?
Speaker 2: Let's do it fine? How busy were you with the deep freeze slash deep snow we had?
Speaker 6: So?
Speaker 10: I yeah, I worked the whole weekend through the snow, had to trudge up both both there and back again, uphill both ways.
Speaker 2: If you were wondering, right, but it was, you know, the roads were rough.
Speaker 10: But once he got there, I think everyone else realized that too, and I saw very few patients. Wow, okay, it's unfortunately everyone was smart and stayed inside for the most part too.
Speaker 2: Damn col to go to work, let alone go outside and do stuff.
Speaker 8: It was.
Speaker 10: It was, but I'm glad, you know, people listened to the news and the warnings and everything because it showed even like, well, I was in Westchester, so I didn't see any Santacon Santas, but I'm I'm hoping they were all okay too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wonder how many how many Santas were presenting downtown. It's right because because it's snowing, it's icy, it's cold, and you had alcohol to the mix and the big groups of people. I could only imagine the stories well.
Speaker 10: And the worst thing would be if you go in Saturday night because you're a Santa, and then you stay in the er all night and you're leaving Sunday morning still addressed as Sanna. Imagine that walk of shame.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is a huge walk of shop. Yeah, right, exactly. I know you wanted to talk about New Year's resolutions or resolutions. People often first of the year kick it and go that's it, this is the year, this is I got all these resolutions. Would you say the top of the list one is getting healthier in twenty twenty six for people?
Speaker 5: Is that the big one?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Most things usually have to do with getting healthy, whether it be working out more, eating better, and those are those are the two that really dominate it. But even you know, getting getting more social and spending more times with friends is another one, and then better money spending, they're all in there.
Speaker 2: You have a New Year's resolution for yourself.
Speaker 10: I have yet to think about it fully, I'm I do a little weird things so long because I used to do resolutions and they always failed, and you know, we'll talk about why that probably.
Speaker 5: Happened for me.
Speaker 10: But now I do have more of how do I want to be as opposed to where do I want to be? And so it's more about behaviors and actions for me. But that's just how I do it.
Speaker 8: What do you? What about you?
Speaker 2: I tend to set the bar very low, Like example, I set him to start smoking crack first of the year, and then if I if I don't do it, then it's like I feel like I've accomplished something. Yeah, well done. Yeah, hopefully hopefully you reach that goal. Yeah this year, I'm you know, I'm gonna do I'm I'm gonna start smoking. My goal is to gain thirty pounds this year. And you're like, don't. It's like, because again, if you like, you're a high expectation guy, you're you're a learned physician, you're a healthy you know in a gym, you have all these things. I just set the bar and remerca so low and you can always hop over it.
Speaker 10: Well, you know, actually you're tapping into something they're slow because like maybe not thirty pounds, you know, in the year to gain, but but still, like setting the bar low is important, and I think that's where a lot of people get it wrong.
Speaker 1: You know, the.
Speaker 11: Donja why why push yourself? You don't have tonna go too far. You're gonna fall off a cliff. But if you push yourself lightly, you may just stay on the edge and and continue to ramp up your life. Right right, Okay, you know this is the year. It's like, okay, ihe didn't rob a bank this year, don't I deserve something?
Speaker 2: I mean, much better than the last year?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 2: Fantastic? Well, right, exactly. Yeah, And it's part of the problem though, Seriously, you set the bar so high. It's like, yeah, this is it. I'm gonna I'm gonna lose thirty pounds and I'm gonna work out five days a week, and I'm gonna I'm saying I'm gonna save a third of my income and like all these unreasonable, impossible goals.
Speaker 10: Oh, there's a few things there that you just named, so like use the and word. And so we oftentimes choose a lot of goals to start our year because we're ready and it's all in good faith and we mean to do well. But when you do too much and try to aim for too much, both with how many things you want to do and how much you want to do, you're setting yourself up for failure. So the better thing is choose one thing, choose one thing that you want to make better, and then don't rely on willpower alone. So a lot of us are just like, I'm just gonna, you know, be healthier this year and never eat anything fat for the next three hundred and sixty five days, and it's like it's not going to happen. And so those are the those are some of the early pitfalls we see as far as resolutions go. The other one being were oftentimes just very vague. I'm going to be healthier, what does that mean? And so it's it's actually tying that to what, you know, what what does this really look like to you? And it doesn't have to be I have to lose thirty pounds and I have to do this, and I have to do this, just just one thing, you know, And then it's the how you want to do it, so like the specific behaviors you want to do. And then I always like thinking about the why, so the what, the how, the why and really why not just because I want to be healthier. It's like, well, why do I want to be healthier? Well, I want to move a little bit better. Why do I want to move better?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 10: I want to be better for my children, so I can play with them till I'm ninety five. And now we're getting to the emotional stuff that will actually drive you interesting.
Speaker 2: Okay, So find an emotion component of just like, hey, I want to loose go out because i'm you know, I want my clothes to fit better. But there's their self esteem issues there as well. Typically it's diet, exercise. Maybe finance is coming to play here as well. But you can only do so much, as the bottom line, only do so much, and like, you know, give yourself some grace. There's a reason that everyone fails their New Year's resolution. Ninety percent of people do not follow through on the New year's resolutions. But it's not because the goals are bad, right, It's because the systems aren't, you know, great for you. It's like Einstein's thing of you know, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing the same way over and over again and expecting different results, right, You got to change the system if you want to get results. It's not you're not You're not shooting poorly, you're just you know, able to continue that matterphor you know the basketball the baskets just said at the wrong height, all right, relative to that, you have reasonable exotiations going in. I get that. But the failure rate is always so damn high. That's that's part. But how long does it take to establish because you if you're going to do it, you got to make a comitment. And how long before it becomes a habit, a good habit.
Speaker 10: So really, if you want to at least start and start the wheels really turning on their own, it starts with the first twenty one days. Yeah, if you can get past the first twenty one days, your chances are much higher. Suddenly, quitting day in January, that'll be the second Friday in January. That's when most people's resolutions fail.
Speaker 5: It goes away.
Speaker 10: You're heading into the second week end of the year. The steam kind of runs out, and so it is your willpower.
Speaker 2: The newness of the whole thing is like, I'm going to be sore again tomorrow, and I think you know when it comes to exercise, and that's your specialty, that soreness. It takes a while before it turns into a good soreness. You know, what I'm saying is initially your overwhelmed maneuver, because you know you're lengthening your tendons before muscles get them. You're not seeing any progress. It's awfully difficult. You're sore for a while. How long does that last? If you're looking to do a fitness.
Speaker 10: Routeam that soreness will get better over you know, the first three months. So we say it revive, which is my gym, give us three months, give us three months so that you see results. After one month, you're going to be feeling better. After three months you're going to start really seeing it and feeling it. And so we aim for that, and we ask for that dedication from our clients to give us that and also give it to themselves of one, giving themselves grace, but also giving you know, giving us the faith that they're in it. And in three months we'll see and we promise, yeah.
Speaker 2: Twenty one days though it's like, Okay, I get through the first twenty one days. It's a habit now. But it's awfully difficult. And this is why exercise sucks. It's because when you first start, you know, we've been doing it for a while, but when you first start, man, that soreness is real and it's persistent. You just got to got to fight through that pain.
Speaker 10: It's painful. But no, also, no, if you're going to start, you know, exercising this year, No, it's universal.
Speaker 5: You're not alone.
Speaker 10: This happens to everyone, and it's a question. That's when I kind of dig into that why well, why am I doing this?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 10: And that sometimes that emotion battles that pain emotion and wins out. And that's what I hope for almost every time I go to the gym, because I will say that I still have a lot of inertia when it comes to the gym, but I say, you know, this is for my own betterment so that I can serve other people better. And that's why I hit the gym. Everyone's going to have their own reasons, right. I want to feel my best so I can be my best.
Speaker 7: For the people.
Speaker 2: Typically, also, folks go in without a plan when it comes to that, and it doesn't have to be you know, and it's age appropriate Now, the younger you start, the better off it is. You heal faster, you recover, and now you build a pattern for life. But if you is it too late in your fifties and sixties? Never I started.
Speaker 10: I mean this may sound young and relative to the numbers you just gave, but I started when I was thirty eight. I was completely out of shape at that point and I started them. But we have a ton of people coming to the gym when they're sixties, seventies even and just want to feel better, and so it's never too late. It's but to your point of not having a plan as a problem, and so that's the importance of potentially having a coach. I mean, if you don't have the money for a coach, though chatchypt is free, what you could do just throw something into AI and say, I want to have a sustainable habit to get more fit this year with strength training. Can you devise something with some habits that I can do this year to feel better and that you know, let AI go for it.
Speaker 2: And be as specific as you want.
Speaker 10: I'm doing this because I want to lift up my grandchildren, and can you devise a plan for me?
Speaker 2: And AI will do that for you and you can even factor and it's like, oh, also, by the way, I had my shoulder replaced and my left knee is bad, and can you and they'll they'll build in alternatives and different mechanisms for you to get to reach your goal. It's really cool. It is cool.
Speaker 5: So you have that.
Speaker 10: I mean, I do prefer in person. And that was one of the biggest reasons I got a coach seven years ago, was have accountability. And this there's actually it shows. So if you write down a goal, it'll increase your chance of following through on your promise to yourself by like fifty percent. If you tell someone about it, it's about a two thirds increase. So you're like, it's you know, sixty seven percent more likely. But if you actually have an accountability person, whether it be a coach that you have to go to, someone you check in with, a class that you sign up for, if you if you have to do something for something else, it's about ninety five percent. So if you if you have a coach, you're you're setting yourself up because you know, if you do devise your own plan with AI uh, there's there's a chance you'll succeed. But having a person that you're a smart, you know, accountable to really helped. But you can also you know, and again YouTube is a great to learn how to do the exerciy And that's the thing. Form is and function that's very you can get seriously hurt right if you're not doing it right or you think you know what you're doing, because you're still the amount of people walk into a gym and go okay, I got my gym membership and there's yeah, you're not thinking the results you want. You're also a chance you're gonna get hurt too as well, and you have to come up with a plan. It's so easy to do it now with chat, GPT and YouTube you can learn how to do the exercises correctly. Sign Jay shape Cremani our doctor and fitness guy in the Scotland show Pops in every Thursday morning. We're talking about New Year's resolutions and fitness probably at the top of the list. Fitness and finance is probably the big two for people. We can only do one thing. We're not talking money with Sanja here. What about picking an actual gym?
Speaker 2: Now you say okay, you guys offer personal training and coaching and that's going to be more expensive. There's gyms out there you can get like ten bucks a month. Right, If that's you and you're like, Okay, I want to do something or just go out and so walking whatever it might be, let's talk about that, Jim. What do you look for in a program or a gym? What should someone going the first time? What should I look for?
Speaker 5: So it really depends what your goals are.
Speaker 10: If you're well versed in exercise and you just want a place to lift weights and do stuff, yeah, sure, a Planet Fitness or a you know, group gym is fine. CrossFit for those that are younger and want to do that kind of thing, Yeah, there is the operative there. I mean there are certainly people they are older, but you have to have some experience in that if you're going to be in your forties and fifties. Unless it's a CrossFit gym that does more attention, it's you know, the reason we built an individualized training gym where everyone gets their own program is we see that everyone's different. Everyone has their own goals, and everybody needs a different sort of degree of attention, and everyone has different motivations. So we see the habits play out in real life and like we lean into that. So I mean it's a complicated question. I'll tell you that like the bigger gyms name names, but the huge gyms they rely on people just to sign up. If you're paying ten bucks a month, if all of their people came in, they would have trouble. They rely on people signing up and probably quitting by the second February, still in January and still paying. I would recommend going to a place that you want to keep coming back to, and that's what I would look for, you know, the vibe for lack of a better term, but also the workouts and the gains you're getting, and so things are going to be built differently to what you want. You know, there's there're a running programs out there if you just want to run, But what we also know is strenth training is important for running. So you want to do both. And so it really depends on the people that surround you. The carry you get, and how much attention you need. I'd say are the most important along with your goal specifically, and if that if that gym you know, focuses on that.
Speaker 2: Also if you're new to gym, wipe it down. If you touch it, and also put your damn white to it. Rack your whites, would you please, please? Thank you please?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: And also the good look too. I think you carry around a giant duffel bag that could carry human in it. Drag it around on the floor, get some powder for your hands, spread that all over the place. And you also need a gallon jugg of water to carry with you. Those are the three big things.
Speaker 10: Don't forget your selfie stick so that you can film every moment right.
Speaker 2: Right right now. All bring luggage with them in a gym is like, what do you have in this giant bag?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: It does clear a room though, So if they're just looking for a space, good for you. The people that bring the more stuff they bring with them, like supplies and big you know, you can get a court bottle and fill the four times. Yeah, I'm not good at math, but I know that much. It's like the more stuff they bring with the less work. It seems like they actually do right well.
Speaker 10: I mean, they're just preparing for the apocalypse and so if that comes, they'll be good to go.
Speaker 2: Scares people away too good. And I will point out in closing her because I know we got to go again, age appropriate, right, So you're not going to try to put up to twenty five thirty times if you're sixty, you want to try to build up there in your twenties, thirties, maybe forties. But like at my age now, I'm going to closer to six to ozho than I am five zero. It's more about functional strength and flexibility for me now.
Speaker 10: Yeah, again, you know, the most important things if you're going to start something new is start small, and you know, start specific age appropriate for you, and eventually the games will come. But also what the final thing will be is reward yourself, even if it's kind of like if you've decided to do two push ups a day and that's it, give yourself a literal pat on the back after you do your two push ups. Your body loves to be rewarded. We are simple creatures at the end of the day, and if we reward ourselves, even if it feels dumb, reward yourself. Maybe not with a cheesecake, you know, after doing two push ups, Yeah, pat yourself on the back.
Speaker 2: Easy part is if you keep that up to push ups and you push yourself for three months, you're going to be absolutely in away through the progress you made in ninety days. Sign J Shafercrimani. He's our resident eer doctor and of course uh fitness and food guy here on the Scots Slunchire Thursday mornings. Have a great holiday, man, and we won't see each other till after the first of the year. I think right sounds great. Appreciate it, Sam, Thanks again, Sloaney seven hundred WW. You want to be in a Manican he's got flown out seven hundred w LW buried in the news and quite a bit of news for us. The allegedly slow cycle right. More domestic terrorism aplot dis erupted. FBI arrested four people as part of a radical pro Palestini extremist group, arrested for planning an attack on New Year's Even Los Angeles. They caught them with IEDs that they're making complex pipe bombs with The FBI said they're going to target five separate locations on Christmas Eve if across the Los Angeles, including two big US companies as well as ice agent's vehicle and the like. And so if you look at domestic terrorism, you know, in our lifetime, if you're a little bit older anyway, you call terrorism from abroad right nine to eleven, et cetera. And we are clearly in the age of domestic terrorism. Over the last ten years, investigations have grown over three hundred and fifty percent, and in that time period, investing open investigations, meaning there's probable cause more than quadrupled. Mark Nzilaco's here. He is a former director of the International Studies Program at the University of Dayton, also founder the Human Rights Studies Program there. Mark, Welcome back to the show.
Speaker 7: How are you fine.
Speaker 2: I'm doing fine.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: For those who you know, we're worried about foreign terrorism, it's domestic terrorism. It's been the story of the narrative for a lot longer than that. What do we know about this group, the Turtle Island Liberation Front, the TILF. It sounds almost like a I don't know, a Clancy novel, right, I mean that kind of name alone strikes me as Turtle Island Liberation Front, very left wing, very terroristic group.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I had that one wasn't on my radar because it's it's small, and you're correct, the name, the Turtle Islands Freedom Front. It doesn't inspire, you know, it sounds like, you know, I don't know, vacation spot.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and seems from what I thought about the explosives that there was they had gone to the desert that brought precursor chemicals, uh to make either them all multile cocktails or id. They did not seem to be sophisticated, very sophisticated explosive devices. I don't want to downplay them at all, but they don't seem like the truck bombs of you know, uh uh, you know the truck bombs of Oklahoma City.
Speaker 2: They were just basic black powder, weren't they.
Speaker 6: Yeah, something like that.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 6: And you know, their their operational securities not very good. The f I can track them complain things, and I don't, but I don't want to just mean, don't diminish the threat. We thought for a decade or so that the rise of sort of neo Nazi type right wing extremists, anti government, anti immigrant, antisemitic groups. But no, the left wing groups is still out there, particularly after Hamas launched this homicidal attack. It's genocidal attack from Gaza. There's been increases of antistemic violence threats. Hell, we had firebomb on the mayor, the governor of Pennsylvania. So yeah, the threat of wrestling extreament has always been out there. It's incredible you said it this last time I was on your program. Step When you look at the number of.
Speaker 7: People, the percentage in the thirties.
Speaker 6: Who believe that political violence is justifiable and this is a time for political lives, I think that's thirty percent of the population thinking about using violence to settle political grievances.
Speaker 2: It's amazing we got in that era, and so with this TLF group that their ideology is basically free Palestine, free Hawaii, free Puerto Rico, and free the world from American imperialism. By blowing up targets in Los Angeles, one just scratches their head. Is someone outside this going hot? How do you connect all those dusts together to the point, well, we're going to free Hawaii, which is a state, free Puerto Rico by blowing up Los Angeles. You just wonder what kind of world these people live in. And that's a scary part. Is there a when they investigate these people? Is there a mental component to this thing? Because it sounds crazy.
Speaker 6: You know, it's very difficult to understand the causes of it.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 6: I believed for a very long time that ideas and ideologies are behind the violence. You know that the lies can kill, whether they're coming from the propaganda's coming from the left or the right. But you're seeing something about many of the perpetrators. People are a wrestler or people commit these crimes are they're socially isolated, they're narcissistic, and they're rehilistic.
Speaker 7: They didn't believe in nothing.
Speaker 6: And but and there's some joy they can get some sense of personal satisfaction they derive from belonging to some organization a Total Island Liberation Front. I mean, for christ sakes, it gives gives one a sense of purpose, a sense of meaning, and and and and so it's a deep psychological and sociological problem that those of us who study domestic terrorism are trying to understand and trying to come to terms with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then you Markin's lucky. You put these people out there and give them a browser, uh, and they find each other. And that that really is the problem that's are seeing a rise in all this because now you may have the most crazy views in the world about stuff, whether it's terrorism, whether it's I don't know, sexual proclivities, anything like that. You can find kindred spirits online and form a group.
Speaker 7: Yeah, certainly true.
Speaker 6: You know when you see these these small little groups that are very amateuristic, right, that scares me.
Speaker 7: It worries me deeply.
Speaker 6: But you talk about communicating to one another, I'd rather have a conspiracy of five, six, seven people because the more people are involved in conspiracy, more likely the authorities can discover it. What really terrifies me is the true lone wolf. Whether they're inspired by isis like these people in Australia, or inspired by something else, they act alone, and the radicalization is is deep. It's linked to psychological issues as well. They come from me, to come from dysfunctional families, and that is a phenomenon that's very difficult for us to monitor, particularly in the society like ours that believes in you know, freedom, so civil liberties. So we're you know, body Beach scares the.
Speaker 7: Heck out of me.
Speaker 6: We we had that right in twenty eighteen, right the Tree of Life in Pittsburgh eleven dead by a lone person, Robert Power. So what we just saw linked to a Helica celebration is to people myself monitor this very very disconcerting.
Speaker 7: Very frightening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's doctor Mark Anziolaco, University of Dayon, former International Studies program director, also a founder Human Rights Studies program, expert in political terrorism. And as we're talking about today with the thwarted plot in Los Angeles New Year's Eve, five separate locations in LA targeted by this Turtle Island Liberation Front groom, extreme left wing group. We're making IEDs in the desert or stopped by the FBI because of the work of a confidential inflorment. Of course, you know, we just had the Bondi Beach shooting, the massacre there, and we talk about domestic terrorism this morning, which has been a concern now for the past decade and a half at least. We've gone from international terrorism to domestic terrorism now. And for the reasons we've just described, this group plan mark to attack corporate targets two US companies opposed to like government buildings. And you know, obviously the ICE was involved in this too as well. It's not solely based on corporate targets as well, but attacking capitalist infrastructure rather than people. Are they following like is that indicay, Like they're following a specific playbook here or they just determined that these two s companies, for whatever reason, were easier targets. Or take us through what you think might the selection process might be.
Speaker 6: Well, this is very similar to the domestic terrorism in the nineteen seventies, which was driven by the left right. So you had the weather underground, the weather man organizations like this. Remember they blew up a townhouse in Manhattan when they're making a bomb and malfunction and it was killed in next Dustin's. Dustin Hoffman's apartment was right next to the So these people were out there. So they had this crazy ideology that capitalism. They're Marxists, right, So capitalism is the root of all evil, and that means corporate capitalism, and so you turn corporations and the letter bombs were sent to major corporations, and of course symbols of American imperialism, the military, right, the Pentagon, your bomb, the Penttheon. I remember having a conversation with Bernard A. Dorn was convicted of planting a bomb at the Pentegon to get into her ideology.
Speaker 7: So there was this crazy idea.
Speaker 6: You know, you said a minute ago, how do you link free Puerto Rico to free to liberally what they can.
Speaker 7: Their ideology is such.
Speaker 6: They can for us, it takes leaps and bounds to move from one idea to the other. That they all blown together, so that I'm worried about. You know, we saw a while back the alone individual shoots to Dad Healthcare CEO in New York. Because you're striking a blow. You're striking a blow for the revolution. The language, you know, I study of their language. You know these are crimes, these are revolutionary acts, right or they're armed propaganda. I mean they've they've got a vocabulary, an entire glossary of ideas that justify violence. And you read their their, their their, there's statements right there. They're community case, they're absurd, they're ridiculous. But yeah, you know, for a long time, if I talked about this several times, the threat has been on the right, the anti Semitic groups and neo Nazi groups, the anti immigration groups. But hey, lefs still out there, and there's reasons to strike a blow for the revolutionism.
Speaker 2: Do we see do we see the pendulum swing in these times? Mark Ensilaco in that when you have a democrat or democrats solgic control of the government, uh, that you start to see arise on the right of domestic terrorism, and conversely, when it appears Republicans control everything, those on the left rise up.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a good, workable hypothesis, and it's not quite as simple as that, but yeah, I mean when, for example, when Barack Obama was elected I heard African American was elected president.
Speaker 7: Uh, you saw a.
Speaker 6: Rapid increase in the numbers of individuals who joined either anti Semitic groups, no Nazi groups or whatever. So there was that reaction to the sort of unpresident thing of an African American becoming uh remember the brother lie right, the birther stuff, he's false, right, Yeah, So that that that narrative provides the basis.
Speaker 7: For a justification of the violent tacts. So yes, I mainly.
Speaker 5: How to put this, I.
Speaker 6: Think we're not seeing a real number increase the number of left wing groups, but it's it's quite possible. It's quite most of the violence lately has.
Speaker 2: Been has been on the right right, Yeah, and maybe it is because of that's starting to go the other way and both those groups on the right and left can touch hands because of their unhinged beliefs and whatever. Vilification isn't that comes from the candidates and politics too, party system as well. Is your job is to vilify the other side, and then there are people on the extremes and the margins that take that to an extreme level, and they just continue to fuel it when they talk about you know, you know, attacking or killing your opponents. The other thing going to hear too, Mark, I wanted to bring this up is most speaking of terrorism, Trump just designated Venezuela a foreign terrorist organization and ordered a blockade of all US anction oil tanker service in the country. Kind of an escalation in this to a degree in Venezuela just came out of the blue as to the threat that they pose. And I think what is clearly what's going on here, and tell me if I'm wrong, is that the pretext is drugs. Because we all hate drugs or anti drug we foreign drugs, ventanyls killing our society, it's universally condemned. We target drug boats first. That provides our on political and military cover because you know, administrations have found broad public support for actions against drug traffickers and drug dealers. And so now we've moved to the oil confiscation control part, which was probably the whole reason we did this in the first place.
Speaker 6: True, Well, this Venezuelan situation is puzzling and it's worrisome. You know, the war on drugs, Yeah, Sentinel is killing Americans by the thousands, and yet the President United States pardons the former president Honduras who had turned Honduras into an arco state.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's inexplicable to me.
Speaker 6: Americans need to play attention to what's going to slow burn in Venezuela, particularly MAGA supporters who sincerely wanted the United States out of endless wars. Well, it looks like the President's dragging us into a regional war. Now, granted, Venezuela won't take along the over throw off the Marines land, but the naval, the military build up is incredible.
Speaker 7: And you know, look, we will give you a piece of news that was buried the sky.
Speaker 6: A blue a jet, a passenger jet, was flying from Corsaw to New York and US Air Force fuel refueling tanker cut it off with the m two miles over twenty seconds from mirror collision. But the plane had its transponder off and wasn't pinged. It was involved in a clandestine operation military so when you nearly had a mid air collision related to remember president said a few weeks ago that airlines should consider the airspace in Venezuela's off limits as too dangerous. I mean, what's going on is.
Speaker 7: Something that needs to be paid attention to. Yeah, but.
Speaker 6: Clearly the oil is meant to bring pressure on Cuba and around.
Speaker 7: In North Korea too.
Speaker 6: So on the one hand, you got the shootings of the boats, get the boat singings. Three more well, in the last few days, three more boats were blown up by our aircraft. But now so there's that that's one drugs, but the rest of the President's action seemed to be mean to destabilized to overthrow Maduro. So Americans need to pay attention and decide we want to go in this direction. And then you know, there's a lot of people pay much attention to it. But the whole issue over war crimes in that double tap the first of September, our destruction of the one boat, where there's a second strike twenty minutes later killed two and the Secretary of Defense, I won't say secretary of war, Secretary of Defense refused to release the raw footage of that. Yeah, So there are things that really Americans, You and I have seen the ebbs and flow of America politics. Recognize the importance of our institutions and their principles and our norms and and those are a thread.
Speaker 2: But that's the danger of the times in which you're in, because you know, if you pledge allegiance to as opposed to the Constitution, it's one individual in this case, Donald Trump. And if you criticize that, say, you know, you're thrown out of the collective herd or somehow you're seen as an enemy. But you know, the real problem here is just ignoring the Constitution exists for a reason, it's got us thus far. That's probably what we should be looking at. Nonetheless, Yeah, final point, go ahead, Mark.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, back to the earlier point you made with the rise of the left, that was a bit of a surprise. We knew the right was acting, but I sort of I did imagine that the left would radicalize because I believe we've got three more years of Trump absolutely, and other people believe he's just joying the Constitution. He's an insipid autocrat, he's pro poutent, et cetera, et cetera. If you believe that the President is really the danger. That's that's that's a recipe for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've dehumanized and made the made the you know, the figurehead. He's the problem, and he's he's going to destroy both sides said that destroying America. People like this. Hear that in this Turtle Island Literation front, and they're going to take that to an extreme. He's doctor Markan, Silaco University, Dayton political terrorism expert. Mark always enjoyed the convo. Thanks again, Happy holidays. You all right, take care. Let me get a time out in. We're running light. We got to get some news in. We got weather moving in. We had fifty below zero and six inches of snow a couple of days ago. Now we got all the snow melting and warm and it's gonna rain. That's gonna turn icy again. Welcome to Cincinnati, Baby seven out er w W.
Speaker 7: The buying selling of homes.
Speaker 5: He's in footing, timid or meek.
Speaker 1: The real estate world can be a vicious jungle, playing with dangers and pitfalls. Thank god, we've got Remax time agent Michelle Sloan, a fearless real tour of Sloan sells homes dot Com and the Queen of the real Estate Jungle. It's real Estate Time, which Michelle Sloane on seven hundred Galla Well Jelly, our.
Speaker 2: Last segment of twenty twenty five for US last segment, Martin, how are you hey?
Speaker 12: I'm good. I guess you know somebody My neighbor yesday, our neighbor yesterday. He reminded me that next week is Christmas. I had no idea. I'm like, no, it's in two weeks, right, No, No, today, today's eighteenth, I think, And then she added a couple more days.
Speaker 2: It's close to one week from today. Michelle, dang, I better get on it.
Speaker 12: Maybe I need to stop at Walgreens or Low's or.
Speaker 2: Oh that's what I mean. It's a Walgreens Christmas.
Speaker 12: Well, we've had those before.
Speaker 2: I know all believe me.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 2: You real nice clerk. That's usually the way it is. I mean, it's funny because you you do a lot of things wonderfully, but you are the worst gift giver. I mean, I've done some really nice gift I shouldn't say that. There's been some just mind blowing gifts you've gotten.
Speaker 6: There.
Speaker 2: You just I think you just get in your own head and then you can't make a decision and then ultimately you wind up buying beef jerky at speedway.
Speaker 5: Yeah do you like jerky?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, sure, who doesn't like beef jerky? And lottery and scratch offs?
Speaker 12: Oh, scratch off? Actually, scratch off. That's a good one. That's a good one that I got to send some of those to my dad.
Speaker 7: I think we have enough degenerator.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he loves scratch off stuff. That's it's pretty funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The gift giving is that is definitely not your Usually, you know, guys and relationships, when you look at the woman and go, okay, we need a good gift here, and you come up with something killer. You don't have that you don't have that to your to that point, the gene that you don't have. As a matter of fact, you just gifted me the other day. You were finally out because you know, your knee surge and stuff like that, and you brought back a dessert. You're like, wow, I saw this and I got dessert for us great. And I went to have my dessert and there was just crumbs left. So even when you give a gift, you take it back.
Speaker 12: We were a blue ass chili and I was paying the bill.
Speaker 6: That was good, yep.
Speaker 12: And of course they have the nice all of the sweets and the cakes and the pies, and I'm like, oh, that coconut cake looks so good. I'm gonna I'm gonna have a piece of that.
Speaker 7: It's a little piece for me.
Speaker 12: And then I'm gonna get you because you like cheesecake. So I'm gonna get Scott a cheesecake. And he's like, what are you doing. I'm like, no, but I got a little crump forest for later. So you saw the the of course you saw the cake and you're like, oh, I like that. Shoot, I said what about this? I got this one for you. So well, I don't really like cheesecake with all that extra stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of different caramel and nuts, and I just playing cheesecakes. However, I'm like, oh, okay, I'll have it. Maybe you know I wasn't feeling it. Well you know what, next day I go. Yeah, next day I go in there and everything's gone.
Speaker 12: I left you.
Speaker 2: She left me a bite of No, I only had a bite of it. I'm like, yeah, god, zella sized bite taking out whole cities.
Speaker 12: Damn, Hey, you know what. I've been at home. The thought that comes and you want to work, and that cake and the pie and whatever.
Speaker 2: It was not good. It's not good when you're stuck in the house with a bunch of good taste and food. This time of the year is rough. So what is the real estate topic today?
Speaker 12: Oh, it's a good one, you know. It's the gift to keep on giving. No, it's for home owners. You have to if you have any last minute gifts that you need to get some maybe your neighbor, maybe one of your kids who just maybe they were lucky enough to even if they don't like ohone the home or live in a home. There's always some gifts. And I'm sure you every year I come up with the list. This year I tried to ask chat gpt, and the list that chat gupt gave me for homeowners was lame. I even told them these are stupid. But let's see what you think.
Speaker 2: Okay, before you get into this, the entire pretext accounts to we set this conversation by talking about the wonderful things my wife is good at the very few things she's not good at. One of them would be gift giving. So you're going Oh that's chatchp. That's dumb. Here's my list of gifts.
Speaker 12: Well maybe chat GPT. Maybe it's not as dumb as I.
Speaker 7: Think it is.
Speaker 2: Here So here's the list of Christmas gifts from the person who could be arguably one of the worst gift givers in the world. Go ahead, I got to hear this.
Speaker 12: Okay ready, A portable blue tooth speaker or outdoor music. I don't know that anybody needs that anymore. I don't love it. An alarm clock.
Speaker 2: The one good gift is probably on the list. It is like, I think that's stupid, but that'd be awesome. We get a bluetooth speaker or an.
Speaker 12: Alarm clock, the wake up with wake up light, I will say, we have you have on your side of the bed that you have the one that uh says what time it is on the ceiling?
Speaker 2: Yeah, projects now that's that's good because you wake what time is it? You look up at the ceiling. It's there. It's not blaring at you. However, no one uses an alarm clock anymore. We use our phones.
Speaker 12: All right, Well, then that's dumb. Okay, there are all candles on this lilip. Now candles I love a good candle. I love a good candle, but I am very bad at making sure that I blow them out at the before I leave a room or whatever. So instead of a candle, I am going to recommend the wax melt. Plus, you can get a pretty little ceramic thing to put the wax melts in. You just turn on the little light ball, the light bulb piece of the wax up and it smells nice.
Speaker 1: Now that's a.
Speaker 2: Nice house gift right there. Because you walk in it smells nice. You don't have to worry about, you know, the candle. You know a lot of problems with candles, of course, you know, and what happens. It stains the ceilings. In some cases you leave it on, you could have a fire. This is not a little light bulb beats it up and you you could leave it on. It's no big gun. If you want a candle.
Speaker 12: I love I love those and they come in so many different colors. And it's interesting. Last year, last year or the year before, I don't know, I was walking through Myer or someplace and they had them all on sale. So I bought like five million of them. And then when we went to and then I lost them during the move and then I found them. I think you might have found them again. So yeah, you know what, wax mount that's Good's good.
Speaker 2: I don't miss the days where you have candles all over there. Looked like a I don't like you're having a seance or so. It like like a Stev Nicks video from back in the day. Buddy.
Speaker 12: All right, So there's some kitchen and eating gifts. You know, you can always get like the little baskets of food type stuff, but a cutting board. Cutting board could be a good kitchen staple. That's nice, that could be used over and over again. Here's one that I think is dumb as a coffee mug, because you know, we have a million coffee mugs.
Speaker 2: They just seem to just yeah, yeah, promotional coffee mugs. We're good.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I don't need any.
Speaker 2: They're never the right size. I like the big I like a big ass coffee mug if I coffee mugs.
Speaker 12: Are very personal because of the shape and how you hold them mint if you drink. And then some people have the little warmers where you can put the coffee mugs on top of the warmer. If you're one of those people that take a really long time to drink your coffee. And so that might be a good gift for somebody who has a desk that they like to keep your coffee yet and they don't drink it like right away, and they like it warm, and maybe they keep going back to the microwave to wan it up.
Speaker 2: Just get a I mean, if that's you, just get a yetti mug, then stay hot forever.
Speaker 6: You could do that too.
Speaker 12: Somehow we've ended up with like one hundred of dolls.
Speaker 2: Well, so there's a story behind that. You forgot the story?
Speaker 7: What is it?
Speaker 2: Well, because it's a while ago. I said on this very show, in this very segment, I was like, I'm looking for I've got my one mug I take every morning filled with coffee, two pods of coffee, and that thing. I'm good to go. It stays hot for you know, the hour I sip on it, and every time I look for it. It was like you had them at work at your office and you walk in and there'd be like two or three of these things I was complaining about and people sent me, sent me Yetti mugs back in the day, and I still I think, yes, So that's where that came from. If I if I have something like that, sometimes you're like, oh, I'll just use his, But then that part of your brain forgets that you left it at the office, so it had like sixteen coffee mugs there and none at home.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's a problem.
Speaker 2: Probably, I don't know if it is.
Speaker 7: It's just not for me.
Speaker 2: Forget that. Yeah, for you, I just buy a new mug.
Speaker 12: Not for me, a fruit basket, a spog gift box with relaxation care.
Speaker 2: Wow, this was great. By the way, my wife is cutting through lists of things here for homeowners. You could tell we're out of material this time of year right now.
Speaker 12: So anyway, it's very interesting if you have any ideas for gifts that I can get my husband.
Speaker 2: How about a cotton candy machine? What is that the other top of the list, cotton candy maker.
Speaker 12: You know, we usually do do the gifts, or you do at some point, the gifts that are like really trendy that you use once because it looks like fun, but you never get it out again.
Speaker 2: That's the cabinet of Chris Regrettable Christmas gifts pass is what it is. I really thought i'd use this fond pod more. Honestly, who doesn't like liquid even.
Speaker 12: You know what, there was a waffle maker when we made the move. A lot of those regrettable Christmas gifts did not make the move with us, and they're all at Goodwill right now.
Speaker 2: Somebody else's problem.
Speaker 12: If you're looking for hey, maybe that's a good idea. Maybe if looking for a little something instead of going to the CBS or Walgreen, a.
Speaker 2: Good Will, find some bargains there. Absolutely, snow cone maker. That's what I need. I need a snow cone maker.
Speaker 12: That's fun to the kids for five minutes, right right, right? Okay, so you thought the well about some safety items to a basket of safety items like the fire extinguisher, rber monos, detecture.
Speaker 2: Merry Christmas, don't die. So that's very very all right. Oh yeah, yeah, it's it's it's an armageddon Christmas. Is what's going on. I've got a fire extinguisher, all the pair of glasses and cutproof gloves, got pepper spray, a gun, zombie repellent.
Speaker 7: Put it all in my bask Okay, went and dout.
Speaker 12: Just go to the liquor store.
Speaker 4: Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 5: That's it?
Speaker 8: Just go to it.
Speaker 2: That's all. You need right there? What do you drink? And a bourbon? Here you go, here's a bottle of bourbon. You like your wine? Here a bottle of wine?
Speaker 12: Okay, wen and out go to the liquor store or buy spresh off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it seems like that's that's what I would do. What is wrong with giving? What is wrong with a gift card?
Speaker 1: Why? Why?
Speaker 2: Is why are gift crowds so frowned upon?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 12: It's so impersonal, isn't it. You know what, I'm giving you a fire exignature that just says nothing but love?
Speaker 2: What also says that you don't know that that person has a lot and fire extinger and I for some reason that I have a lot of fires.
Speaker 5: I don't know why.
Speaker 2: I've got fire extingus on my work truck.
Speaker 12: I've got one that's probably true.
Speaker 2: I like, you've looked guard a Hosco And are you expecting sloan? Are you expecting something like bad?
Speaker 7: Are you what?
Speaker 2: Do you live in California in the middle of like the wildfire?
Speaker 5: What are you doing?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. I just collect fire extinguishers. That's my collect My wife with candles and I collect fire extinguishers, So that's what we do. Yeah, I don't know. I just I don't know why gift cards get such a bad rap because it's easy to buy, it's thoughtful, because you know, if you get a gift card to Home Depot or Low's or Ace Hardware or whatever it is minards, you're like, oh, okay, well I could use something, and then you pick something nice for you and and yet somehow that's impersonal as opposed to what I go and buy clothes or someone a shirt, a jacket or whatever it might be, pair of shoes and they don't fit, you don't like it, I've got that, and then they wind up returning. It's a bigger pain in the ass to do that than it is just to get the gift card.
Speaker 12: But so gift cards, there is a statistic out there that like half of the gift cards in the world don't end up getting used. We have a we do have drawer of unused gift cards, and a couple of them will probably never ever use.
Speaker 2: Yeah, are someplaces are of business.
Speaker 12: So right, maybe we could regift those. We're actually for the Sloan Family Extravaganza Christmas here, we're doing a gift card gift exchange like a white elephant. So instead of bringing, you know, something really stupid that nobody really wants or in your family, it's something you know that is totally inappropriate, We're going to We're going to have a gift exchange with gift cards this year. It's easy to carry. I guess for the out of town eers too.
Speaker 2: Yeah already, yeah, so we've got the nieces and nephews and all that, and so yeah, I already went and got the gift cards. Were good?
Speaker 12: Oh you did?
Speaker 6: Yep?
Speaker 12: For real, yes, because I'm really going to get.
Speaker 2: Those taking care of check the box. Everyone gets a twenty five dollars gift card to Hustler Hollywood. Here you go, Grandma married Christmas. It's the gift that keeps on getting.
Speaker 1: I want to do this.
Speaker 2: It's just it's just a massager, Grandma. That's fine. My wife, Michelle Sloan stand cells Holmes dot Com Open House Show, My gifts are a lot more fun than her gifts. That's for damn sure.
Speaker 12: Anyway, gifts this year, Okay, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Got your stuff. I got seven or eight things for you. What'd you get me? I'm in trouble you know what process slice a pie off the list.
Speaker 12: I've got an excuse. Agree, I'm on, I could give you. I have two extra oxy left.
Speaker 2: Now that that is a great Christmas gift. My wife, Michelle Sloan breaking all sorts of federal laws on the show here, so I love her. She lives on the edge. She does so long saleshomes dot com openhouse show that's available via the iHeartRadio app and the podcasts and of course on YouTube too. All right, gotta get going here. All of a sudden, I've been craving for pie. I don't know why. Love you, see you later, Gotta go. Willie is on the way. Next it's the home of the best Bengals coverage. Seven hundred WOWTE Cincinnati,