Speaker 1: They say, the hardest thing in sports isn't winning a title.
Speaker 2: It's hard to repeat seasons.
Speaker 3: It's winning it again.
Speaker 2: This Yearing is not trying to win a championship, They're trying to repeat.
Speaker 1: It's October baseball for your World champion in La Dodger.
Speaker 4: The twenty twenty five Dodgers are the National League's Western Division champions.
Speaker 1: And you know what that means.
Speaker 3: Saxon Kates and AM is back.
Speaker 1: This is Saxon Kates in the Morning with Tim Kates and former World Champion Dodger Steve Sacks.
Speaker 5: Reacting, taking your phone calls, talking Dodgers playoff baseball all postseason long.
Speaker 1: Now Here they are on AM five to seventy LA Sports and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Steve Sacks, Tim Kaits, Tim.
Speaker 1: Kates and World Champion Dodger Steve Sacks.
Speaker 5: Ah.
Speaker 3: Here we go, Game Day, Dodgers Blue.
Speaker 5: Jays Game one of the twenty twenty five World.
Speaker 3: Series from the field of the work side.
Speaker 5: Strous hours our World Series coverage right here on your Home of the Dodgers A and five seventy LA Sports. Game one tonight, five OHO eight. First pitch from the Galpu Motors broadcast booth. We have Dodgers on deck. Started at four o'clock blakesnew Trey Sevitch, the pitching matchup coming up at the bottom of the hour. Our Dodger insider David Vase will join us from Toronto Saxy. Again the big news the roster is out. No Tanner Scott coming out of the bullpen. They ext go with Will Klein, who with the right hander will be out there in place of Tanner Scott. And again no Alex Vessia on this Dodger World Series roster at least to start off with. In our thoughts and prayers with him and his family, as he is a way dealing with some family issues right now, but as promised twelve years in the Big League Saxy they call him the Mayor, one of the best hitters in his generation, part of the Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame, a three time All Star Indians, reds Pirates, Tigers, Red Sox. You see him on MLB Network. I've been watching him and Yander Alonso do great work on the MLB Network, especially with the class in session and when they're cooking things up inside the kitchen.
Speaker 3: He is the one and only.
Speaker 5: Sean Casey and he joins us here on a five seventy l a sports Sean, how you doing?
Speaker 2: What's up? Fellas? Appreciate you in true and I'm great to be on. Steve Sack has one more thing I don't have, and that's the World Championships. That would have been a lot better.
Speaker 3: What's up, Sean?
Speaker 2: Hey doing? Man?
Speaker 6: Sean?
Speaker 5: Here we are Game one, Dodgers and Blue Jays. Dodgers have been off for six days. They're ready to go. Blake Snell gets the starts. Uh, just your thoughts kind of going into this series and these two teams how they match up?
Speaker 2: I think they match up well. I mean when you watch, when you watch the Dodgers kind of run through the Brewers, I think all of us in the baseball world are like, whoa. I mean, Snell dominates Game one, you know, and then Miyamamoto comes to the complete game, and then here comes Otani, here comes Glass. Now it was just incredible. I mean they didn't really have to even use the pen and the bats were out and then Otani has that maybe the greatest game ever Game four. So I think you know, everyone remembers, you know, how good the Dodgers are. But I but I do think, you know, we got a chance to see how good the Blue Jays are. That's seven games against a tough Mariners team, against some good pitching too.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, they're just they're They're a team that really, uh you know, likes to grind out of bats. I think it's gonna be a great matchup with you know, how how long can the starters go for the Dodgers with the pitch count and will the will the will the Blue Jays be able to piece together some runs that the Brewers weren't able to do.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Sean, great to be with you today. Thanks for coming on. And you know, I'm a big fan of your guys on MLB Network. I love your hitting philosophy and so you and I think the same way about that, except I couldn't go deep like you did. But you know, the Dodger philosophy here is, you know, I'm all about, Hey, get yourself a piece of dead red and don't miss it.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 8: Uh, if you go deepen account pitch or put you deep account, great, go deepen account every single time up, But don't take two cookies just to go deep in account. And I think that's kind of the philosophy of the Dodgers too. They will take you deep in the count if a pitcher puts you there, and you Savage buying large has a pinch it for the small sample size to go deep in counts. He walks almost five per game per nine innings, and you know his whip is just almost one point five, so he has he has a knack for letting people get on base.
Speaker 6: This could fit right into.
Speaker 8: The Dodgers narrative here of trying to work that guy, take him out in the deep water and drown him.
Speaker 2: No really, I mean, Steve, you're exactly right, man. I really believe in the Dodgers. I mean they put together such good at bats. I mean, yes, the team that they have is such a professional team. I mean top the bottom. You know, these guys are gonna they're gonna work it, you know. And a guy like you, Savage, he really relies on Chase on that split, you know what I mean. He comes from this guy arm angle. He's trying to hit the upper rail with the heater and then he wants to wipe you out with a split. So if visually you can get him into into EU, you know, in the high leverage hitting counts. That's split, and you can neutralize that split. I mean, he's very hittable, and you know he he got into some trouble in his and in his last start I believeable was that Game six when when he got the three double plays, I mean at the bases loaded twice in those situations.
Speaker 4: Yep, got out of it with three.
Speaker 2: Double plays in the third, fourth, and fifth, but he was in trouble. So I look at the Dodger lineup. They don't let they don't let people off the hook. If you if they get traffic on the bases, they're one of the best teams in the league at cashing in. So you're right, Saxon man. If they if they can make your savage work, they could they could really put up a big ending on them.
Speaker 5: Sean has a left handed here. I've been waiting to ask you this. What have you seen from show hao Tody this post. He's the three home run game aside where he just absolutely went bonkers, but he has struggled outside of that game, making contacts, striking out a lot. What have you seen his swing that maybe he can kind of get right after that three run home.
Speaker 6: Run game, you know case.
Speaker 2: I know for me as a you know, as a left handed hitter, when I face a lot of lefty starters, there was something about if they're trying to crisscross the plate, you know they're really you know, everything's in and then trying to wipe you out with the slider away. And you know, I know for me at times, as soon as I get that front shoulder moving a little too soon, I really paid became susceptible to rightings like the sinker ball alrightis and guys that had good fastballs all of a sudden like why am I not on these guys? Like what happened? And then you look back and you go, man, I just I just face a lot of lefties and whatever series. I think when you go back to that Silly series, you know face and Suarez face and Lizardo face and Sanchez, you know, you know there's a feel that you know, Steve, there's a feel about hitting where sometimes you're a little off and you can't catch it right away. And and and I think for show, hey, it was like, man, something's off here and I and it would probably was the lefty heavy rotation and the pitches that he saw in Philly and in over one sixty two. When you struggle for a week or two, you're like, Okay, I'm back, I got it. Well, you're in the postseason. He struggled, like hey, what's wrong with this guy? And I think it was a great move on his part to mix it up, get out and take batting practice, start to see flight of the ball, and then all of a sudden he was like, Okay, I got the feel back. And then we saw what we saw in Game four, was like, oh that's I've never seen balls hit that far in La. I mean I always felt like at night in La, you know, you couldn't get it into the third row when you when you pumped on let alone hit it over the roofs and right right center field. So I think show Hay's back. I think he found a feel that he needed to find and I got a feeling he's gonna have a big World Series.
Speaker 6: Sean.
Speaker 8: I got to bring Tim into this conversation for just a second. Tim, Yes, how many times have we talked about hitting? And Sean said the operative word. He said it several times, And hitting is a feeling. It is a feeling. That's what hitting is. There's times where you can go up to the plate and you don't have to describe anything, you don't have to set it much of a game plan if you're feeling it, Sean, is this right? If you're feeling it, you can hit anybody that's throwing whatever up there. You're in that groove and if you feel it, that's all you need. Isn't that true?
Speaker 2: It's incredible, It's incredible. It's like this flow state you get into, and you know, you get into, you know nothing better when you you pump one into the seats and you come back and your teammates are like, what did you see there? Are like, I have no idea, I don't know. I just thought I just saw. I don't know if it was a heater, a change up, a slider, I don't know. But I'm feeling. I'm feeling something. You could you could throw a beat, you could throw a throw a BB gone up here about one hundred and twenty miles an hour, and I cover it right.
Speaker 8: Now, exactly exactly right, Tim. It's it's amazing, Sean. And I I mean I could sit and talk hitting with Sean for for five hours, I'm sure, And and we're gonna use this same words, Sean and I don't sit on a bench and talk about hitting. But I'll bet you we grew up in a different time been played. I'll bet you we'd be using the same words and the same approach and the same philosophy on what it takes to be a good hitter. You talk about guys across a spectrum, Sean, and I hear you talk on TV all the time, and I said, Damn, that's exactly what I would say if I was on there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I think sometimes I think, and nowadays in this era of analytics and all this stuff and wanting to get in the cages and to look at biomechanics and look at these force plates and all these different things. That's all great, But at the end of the day, when I'm in the batter's box, I gotta be able to slow my heart rate. I got to be able to slow down, turn my vision on. I got to hunt the fastball or whatever out over plate that I have to have a simple game plan to go out and execute against guys that are throwing ninety seven one hundred and three miles an hour, like I gotta be able to simplify and I think for me, you know, and you probably feel the same way. Steve. Is that like when I was at my best, I was as simple as I can be when I when I got in trouble, I was thinking about two three mechanical things in the box and that doesn't.
Speaker 8: Work, right, Tim, I gotta tell one more when we're Sean. I had a conversation one one on one one time with Ted Williams. Okay, I'm in spring training and the splendid Splinter gave me some time and was talking to me about hitting. You know what, the most dynamic thing he said to me. He says, I'm gonna give you some advice on hitting. I'm like, I'm like, you know, e f hutting guy. I'm like, my ears got like four feet wide. And I was like, gonna listen to the to the advice from Ted Williams. He said, the most important thing in hitting get yourself a good pitch.
Speaker 6: And don't miss it. And I was like, thank you, mister Williams.
Speaker 3: Good go ahead, Tim.
Speaker 2: You're always good as the picture swing. Yeah. The only good you know, it's I love man even mention it Ted Williams and hearing advice, I mean a simple. That is I got. I got some great advice from George Blett one time sitting at the cages and I was like, Tours, you know, I was a young girl's fight twenty five at the time. He's he was a coaching with the Royals and spring training. I got him behind the cages. I'm like, I'm not going to miss this opportunity to ask George bread a couple of questions and I was like, you know, George, what were your keys? You know, what were you thinking? He goes, I just try to be short to it, long through it. I was trying to get to it, you know, get get on top of the ball, you know, back spin it, stay on it and and not rust my fall through. So short to it, long through it. Like take Ted Williams to take George Brett, get a good pisch to hit short to it, long through it, you'd probably do pretty well.
Speaker 6: Absolutely.
Speaker 5: He is Sean Casey from the MLB Network. Check out their coverage all World Series long. It has been fantastic during the postseason, during the morning's pregame, post game, all the coverage on site in the studio has been the best this October, and Sean has been a big part of that. I'm gonna steal one of your guys' segment when you guys make a case, make a case for, make a case for who's gonna be the MVP of this world series? Outside of show hey o Tani is there is there a Dodger player you can make a case for that's just gonna rise to the level like if Freddie Freeman did a year ago or Tommy Edmond did in the NLCS last year.
Speaker 2: You know, I just for whatever reason, Max Mounts he always pops to my mind. I mean, he's a guy I just feel like when he gets in that groove of that of the long ball swing, he's a guy that can really do some damage on you. And he walks a lot. He's got a great approach, and now that he's got the you know, the glasses, I feel like I feel like he's gone to another level. So, you know, outside of the of the big three of a Tony Betts and Freeman. You know, I know Edmund had a great World Series last year, but Max Muntsey's a guy that I think could be end up being the World Series MVP.
Speaker 8: Sean last one for me. I wanted to ask you next year we're getting the ABS, the automatic balls and strikes. I mean, I surely hope that this one knee where the catcher goes away so the guys can shift one or two inches that way. I'm so sick of that stupid, tired way of catching. It's it's pathetic. Maybe it goes away. I sure hope it does. But what do you think about the ABS. Does this help the pitcher or does it help the hitter.
Speaker 2: I kind of like it. I actually kind of like it. I don't think too much time for the game, Yeah, And I think also it brings a new element to the stands. Maybe if it's a big moment in the ninth you still have a challenge left and it's a three two pitch to end the game and it's overturned or something, a two two pitcher whatever. I just I feel like it's I think it's going to be good for the game. And I think they've run it enough in the minor leagues, and it's spring training this year to see that the players and them and I believe even the umpires like it. So I think it's gonna be good for the game.
Speaker 3: Sean love to work on the MLB Network. You were a great player. Loved watching you play.
Speaker 5: Love you on the MLB Network even more breaking it down, having fun talking baseball. Uh, really enjoyed the time this morning. Thanks for doing it on this busy Friday leading up to Game one of the World Series.
Speaker 6: We really appreciate it. Thanks Sean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks a lot, guys. Greatest game in the world and and good lucky your Dodgers out there. It's gonna be a it's a it's an historic run they've been doing. It's gonna be a lot of fun. So have a good little fellas. Thanks for having me on there.
Speaker 3: He goes the Mayor, Sean Casey.
Speaker 6: He is so good, He's I love I love talking with him. He's just he's so fun to talk to you.
Speaker 8: He's very engaging and believe me, he knows a little bit about hitting. The guy had a great, great beat in the in the box, no question about it.
Speaker 5: You can see and hear why now his nickname is the Mayor. Sure, imagine getting to first base, imagine being the first base coach as we're with the Diamondbacks and the guy is just a chatterbox. The guy is just a chatterbox all game along, talking to guys, probably asking him what they're doing for dinner, where you're going, what are you seeing?
Speaker 3: What's happening? Just so much energy. I love that guy.
Speaker 8: What's your picture? Gonna throw me next time I come up? So just tell me go ahead where nobody's gonna know. It's just and I talking to her.
Speaker 5: Thanks to the folks of the MLB Network, you can see Sean all postseason along. You can get their coverage all World series long and tim.
Speaker 8: You know what you you know what Sean's gonna tell people when he went, when he goes back to uh back East, and when when he's there on on the network.
Speaker 6: You know he's gonna say, what's this is great? He's gonna say, I was just on scam.
Speaker 3: Scam. You've been scammed, Sean Casey.
Speaker 6: That's right, he's been scammed. That's a good thing.
Speaker 5: Uh. Coming up in the bottom of the hour, David Vassa, Well, join us. We're also here from Blake Snell. Uh did we already hear from Blake Snell? I don't think, yes we did. We did hear from Blake Snell. Okay, you're right, we did hear from Blake Snell. We got David Vassa coming up. That's right, even better. It's like, that's like Blake Snell too. If you need, if you need an in.
Speaker 8: Show run or a rundown of what we got next. We got to David Vassa next. Okay, I'll let you know on or off the air. Don't worry about I appreciate that, Steve sact. We of course, from the field to the work side, powered by Strauss our World Series coverage right here on a five seventy l A Sports of course watching the World Series the postseason. You see that Straus logo right.
Speaker 6: Deal toad boots man. They're really good.
Speaker 5: They have the most fantastic love.
Speaker 6: We use that up here in No Cow too, we use Strauss.
Speaker 5: Oh you're a man out there plowing the fields and well milking thes.
Speaker 6: Not I used to do that. I don't.
Speaker 8: I don't do that now, but I I do do a lot of planting on the I have a little bit of land in the back.
Speaker 6: I do a lot of planning. And yeah, they're perfect for that. Awesome.
Speaker 5: Let's quickly squeeze in the call before we hear from David Veasse coming up at the bottom of the hour. Scott in Ontario. Thanks for being patient. Welcome to Saxon, Kate to Andy and what's on your mind this morning?
Speaker 9: Scott, Hey, good morning guys, Thanks for taking my call. Uh. First of all, I want to say, you know, my thoughts are with the Vesta family.
Speaker 7: I hope there.
Speaker 9: Everything's okay there. But the next thing I want to say is jam Uh yeah, I just thought to throw that in there.
Speaker 6: Perfect long.
Speaker 9: It's been a long week without any Dodger baseball, so I've been, you know, struggling through it. The other reason why I was calling is because I'm calling out of superstition. You guys have been nice enough to take my calls this past week, and uh, every time I call, the Dodgers win, So I'm calling out a superstition. I hope it works. I'm relieved that Will Klein is on the roster over Conner Scott. I actually was going to talk about that before he even announced the roster.
Speaker 7: So good to.
Speaker 9: See Will Klein. I don't know about Henriquez is over Casparius, but I'm okay with it. I think he's he's a flamethrower and as long as he can hit his spots and not groove one. I think we might be okay with him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, appreciate the Scott, thanks for keeping the trend going and uh yeah, we don't want to buckety trends here. So if that's your superstition and that's something that's been good luck, certainly keep calling here. On Saxon Kate's and the am real quick. I did get a teen and somebody said, are you kidding me?
Speaker 3: Kate?
Speaker 5: You didn't mention Rokie on the postseason World Series roster. Okay, maybe I overlooked it. He is on the World Series roster, all right, he is on the World Series roster. I was, I was going through the starting pitching and the relievers, and maybe I left him off with my initial announcement there.
Speaker 3: But yes, Rokie is on the World Series roster.
Speaker 4: Do not.
Speaker 8: I'm glad that you cleared that up so that we don't have some people that are on the way to work and actually faint behind the wheel. So we know they're okay now right, everybody's okay.
Speaker 5: Roki is on the postseason World Series roster. However, no Tanner Scott will climb at Gardo Enriquez. Too hard throwing right handers are on this world Jim you've had.
Speaker 8: A minute to disseminate this information. Yeah, this is you know, you and me talking. Nobody else is listening. Nobody else, Oh, nobody else.
Speaker 6: Can hear this. But what do you really think about it?
Speaker 8: I give me gimme Steve and Tim having a Horton's and a cup of coffee and we're just sitting there. There's nobody else around. We're sitting like on a stump outside in Burbank and we're just you know, we're seeing the planes go back and forth in the airport where we're just having a coffee in a Horten's.
Speaker 6: What do you really think?
Speaker 5: Well, as I lean in to talk to you, Steve join my coffee and crawler kind of feels to me like Dave Roberts didn't want to put the fate of him or the Dodgers in the hand of Tanner Scott in the World Series. It feels to me like if he were and he sounds like he is healthy and good to go, the Dodgers have elected to say sit this one out Tanner.
Speaker 6: Well, also there's a lot of lefties out there already.
Speaker 5: Well, that helps, and it certainly makes the decision a lot easier because if they didn't have the four other lefties that they can use now in the World Series, we'd be having a different discussion. Tanner Scott would be on this World Series roster. But because you've got those four left handed arms already, you don't need a fifth. You can need another to neutralize this. You said, Vlad Guerrero, George Springer and that heavy right handed hitting lineup for the Blue Jays. That's why Enriquez and Kline, hard throwing righties are on this roster. But yeah, I think when it's all said and done, I have to believe Dave Roberts, this coaching staff. We're looking at the Wayne, the pros and the cons and like, I just can't.
Speaker 8: I can't Wayne, Wayne In and Wayne and stuff. You know, we haven't talked much about Alejandro Kirk. Yes, okay, now, he's definitely a threat. He's a threat. Okay, there's no question about it. I mean, we talked about Springer and Guerrero, but Alejandro threat. Alejandro Kirk is a threat.
Speaker 5: He can hit, he can hit, and he's one of those pesky little hitters. Yes, he's a guy who puts the ball in play, slaps the ball the right field puts it in the gaps.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't say he's little. I'd say he's short. You can say he's little.
Speaker 3: He's little.
Speaker 8: Alejandro Kirk, Well, in one dimension he's busting at about two thirty.
Speaker 5: Well in that to mention, yees, going east and west, yeah he's not little.
Speaker 6: But you go north and south, he is not north and south.
Speaker 8: He's a little vertically challenged. But but go east and west on us. Now he's he's not little.
Speaker 5: No, no, he's he's you know, he's a great he's really he's an all star.
Speaker 6: He's a really good catcher too. He's a good player.
Speaker 5: I mean he's California to the to the to the New York, you know, east and west.
Speaker 6: He's big. Uh yeah, but he's.
Speaker 5: Not to me in that lineup, var show. These other bats are the ones that scare me. Kirk is a guy who, Yeah, I don't have a lot of fear in him.
Speaker 6: I just don't. I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't see as him as a guy that's going to be a game changer in this year. I hope I'm right. I hope it stays that way.
Speaker 8: And again best best best batting average with two strikes in the league.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, now you say that, you know, you're really freaking me out.
Speaker 6: Steve Well, I don't mean to, you know, tell you that you know something. I'm sure you already knew that. But uh yeah, best best batting average, two strikes.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean he hasn't faced smell Zilla.
Speaker 6: No, no, he hasn't, and he has to face his Dodgers bullpen.
Speaker 8: They got Alejandro Kirk at five eight, which is not true. He's five to six wow, eight two forty five.
Speaker 6: Okay, I believe that. Yeah, I believe that's pretty close.
Speaker 5: I think, yeah, five eight, I don't believe. I'll say five six two forty five.
Speaker 8: Two times Silver Slugger, I mean, one time Silver Slugger, two time All Star in just the six years.
Speaker 6: So he's he's put a stamp in there, now, you know what I mean. Yeah, he just doesn't look the part. I mean not to say he's not gonna hit a lot of.
Speaker 8: Horme runs him the most. He said it's this year he hit fifteen. Uh, but he is a you know, legitimate hitter. He hit it over two eighties. Lifetime average is about two seventy sees.
Speaker 6: He's a pretty good player.
Speaker 5: Well, they need to learn neutralize in Little Kirk Nate in Long Beach, Welcome to Saxon Kates and the Am David mat Say joins us. Coming up in less than ten minutes.
Speaker 6: How you doing, Nate.
Speaker 7: It's a beautiful day for a ball game, and I am a lifelong It's nineteen seventy seven and my dad's taken me in my first World Series game. We're in the bleachers and Catfish Hunter makes eye contact with the eleven year old me and he throws me a ball.
Speaker 10: It's not certified. It doesn't have a holographic sticker on it. It's just a ball that I had a moment with cast Fish even though I was a Tiger fans. And he threw me the ball, and it says seventy fifth World Series. Fast forward. I'm out by the seventy six lot. It's nineteen eighty eight. I'm twenty two. I buy two tickets.
Speaker 7: I trade it as I'm getting closer and closer and closer from the seventy six station out in center field, and I end up top deck, second to the top row, exactly on first base. And I that was my second World Series game, and Monday I financed you know, like eighteen hundred dollars worth of tickets to take my daughter because I told her or her birthday that we're gonna we're gonna go. She's a huge fan, she's fourteen, Zoe, and we got tickets, man, and we're going. And today is the day where you guys are at a little bit of a disadvantage because today's the fan day. Today is the day that we you know, we've been watching for hundreds of days, hundreds and hundreds of not hundreds and hundreds, but hundreds of days we watch. And that last fan, the last guy who was on and he said he's been suffering through no games the last week. We know it's coming to an end one way or another. And the fact that the Dodgers are going not just for back to back, but the storylines, the greatness that can be established by the pitchers and show hey, and it's just unbelievable where they put us. And it's a giant thank you from the Dodgers to us as fans. And you guys seen how the sausage is made. And you guys are kind of you know, in the press, but those of us who actually grew up with it. This is our day, baby, This is beautiful, beautiful day.
Speaker 3: Awesome, Well said Nate. Appreciate the phone call.
Speaker 8: Hey, Tim, Sir, I want to let Nates know something he brought up. It's a beautiful day for a ballgame. Can I tell you thirty seconds of history here?
Speaker 6: Sure? Absolutely well.
Speaker 8: This song is one that was actually written by Ruth Roberts and Bill Katz.
Speaker 6: In nineteen sixty and it's a tune.
Speaker 8: That was created for the Dodgers coinciding the opening of Dodgers Stadium in nineteen sixty two. It was performed by Harry Simeon Songsters. The song's upbeat and cheerful melody has become synonymous with the joy and excitement of attending a baseball game. The lyrics really quick, Let's go. It's a beautiful day for a ballgame, for a ballgame today, the fans are out to get a ticket or two from Walla Walla, Washington to Kalamazoo. It's a beautiful day for a.
Speaker 6: Home run, but even a triples.
Speaker 8: Okay, We're gonna cheer and boom and raise a hullabaloo at the ballgame today.
Speaker 6: So there you go. Nobody speaks like that anymore from there we go.
Speaker 8: Nobody's gonna say Hula Baloo's sick.
Speaker 7: A beautiful day.
Speaker 3: Where it is a beautiful day for a ballgame.
Speaker 5: Dodgers blue chants Game one of the World Series coming up in five o away.
Speaker 3: Coming up next. David Vesta joins us live from Toronto as.
Speaker 5: We lead you up to first pitch right here on your Home with the Dodgers A FI seventy l A Sports saxon Kate to the a m all morning long, all October long, right here on your home with the Dodgers An five seventy l A Sports from the field to the work side. Strauss powers our World Series coverage right here on AM five seventy as we lead you up to Game one tonight from the Rogers Center in Toronto. Blakes and l Treya Savage the Bitching matchup. Thanks to Sean Casey, who joined us earlier from the MLB Network. In joining us now, the Dodger insigner, the best of the best, embedded with this Dodgers team for more than a decade, The.
Speaker 6: One and only David vas A. Good morning, David, how you no, buddy?
Speaker 4: I'm doing great. It's a great day in Toronto. The city's really excited about the World Series, and I know everybody in Los Angeles feels the same.
Speaker 6: Way, no doubt, David.
Speaker 5: I think the biggest thing that has happened this morning is the rosters have both been released from the Blue Jays and the Dodgers. For Toronto Boba, Schett is back. He's on this World Series roster is for the Dodgers. Some interesting moves. No Michael Confordo, no Tannor Scott. An interesting decision by the Dodgers to bring in Will Klein.
Speaker 6: How about that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Will Klein had trouble throwing strikes before they sent him down, and the last time he came up, I know the Dodger pitching coaches and the staff were really impressed by him. So Will Klein might be a sneaky guy coming out of the bullpen if he can continue to be that guy that impressed the pitching coaches to be able to earn this opportunity. I know he has a lot of support in the organization to even have been on the roster in the NLCS. But yeah, I mean, it's unfortunate that Alex Vesia is not able to participate in the World Series. I was told that he's not on any special family emergency list or bereavement list. He's just off the roster, and there could be different ways to get him on if he was and his wife were in a better spot. But base is secondary right now. But yeah, that's what triggered some of these roster decisions I had of tonight's game.
Speaker 6: One interesting, David, good to be with you this morning.
Speaker 8: I want to look on the other side for a second and talk about Trey Ya Savage. I mean, you know, this guy's got great stuff, but I'm looking at those internal metrics on him, watching him pitch, watching the way he approaches hitters. He relies heavily on deception. Dodgers aren't gonna, you know, I think, play that game with him. I think if they can drag him out enough, some of those numbers will start to pop up, like his ability to walk people, his ability to have traffic. On the basis he got out of a couple of them on double plays. I think I think this is a good matchup for the Dodgers. Believe it or not, all things, you know, take it into consideration. Maybe I'm wrong, but I say I think the Dodgers can can kind of grind this guy out. I think that's going to be the philosophy, Steve.
Speaker 4: This reminds me a lot of when the Yankees were in the midd of their dynasty, winning three in a row. It felt like everybody tried to come up with some sort of reason, any little slimmer glimmer of hope that would make you believe the Yankees were going to lose a playoffs series, which it never happened. Feels the same way in this postseason. Felt that way during the NLCS and we saw the Dodgers just manhandle the Brewers. Kind of feel the same way about this World Series. Everybody is picking the Dodgers to win in six games. I don't believe it's gonna go that far. The farthest I believe this series is going a five games. But going back to tonight's starter, the one type of picture the Dodgers have had trouble with is those guys that are coming from a three quarters arm slot. Trey Savage comes very much over the top, so much so that he's been compared to Justin Verlander. The Dodgers have that special type of hitting machine where they can simulate where a pitcher's arm slot is and put that picture's image on the background of the batting cage, but they don't have that for this picture, so they've been simulating justin Erdlander because that's as close as you could get to how high his arm slot is, which means you could see the ball really well. And he has struggled with command. He has been bailed out by defense in double plays. But the Dodger offense is not the Seattle Mariners, and I think it's going to be a rough night for a rookie making the second youngest starting pitcher in World Series history against this team. Last night, Shoho Tani took batting practice on the field. We knew what happened the next game after he did that. He has stuck with that routine. I wantn't be surprised on this stage, in this city, in that stadium. Shoho Tani leads off the game with a yah yah Ooh.
Speaker 5: Love it, David, I love it. How about Blake Snell, a guy you know very well. You'd talk to us about his game one start in the NLCS and how dialed in he was, David and prepared going into that start, that start, and you saw a different look on his face that he was ready to go, and he absolutely was fantastic. What are you seeing in Blake Snell in the last twenty four hours anticipation for tonight's start.
Speaker 4: I see a guy that's locked in and hungry and even saying that he wants to get better even in this game one World Series. You don't hear pitchers say that he wants to get better for himself. He believes there's more in the tank. And this guy's pitched what fourteen fifteen consecutive scoreless innings in the postseason. You don't hear that from that type of picture. And last night we interviewed Clayton Kershaw at Media Day and he is the biggest believer in Blake Snell. And when you have that type of endorsement from that type of picture, I mean, your confidence has got to be high. And Blake's confidence is at an all time high right now. And you may not even see the best version of Blake's now before the end of this season, but that just speaks to how much he wants this and how much he's pitching through a lot of different things.
Speaker 6: That's interesting.
Speaker 8: You know the fact that we don't have Tanner Scott is not on the roster, David. You know, some questions out there are who it may be. I think given the fact that you have the three guys I think you can have to neutralize on this team is Springer, Vlade and Alejandro Kirk all three good hitters. Bashett situation is still out to question. But I think the fact that they've loaded up a little bit more on the right hand side was just a logical thing to do, and I think it's a good move by the Dodgers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean Dalton Varshow's basic the lefty in this lineup that if you were going to match up with, it would be him. But I really feel like we're short changing Alex Vesia when we say, oh, he was just on this roster to face the key lefty, He wasn't. He bailed out the Dodgers in every round in key innings and key situations with runners on base. He has been the highest of leverage reliever for the Dodgers this postseason. Him and Roki Sasaki have been the two most important relief pitchers for the Dodgers in this postseason. It's a huge hole to fill. Will Klimb, Tanner, Scott, name anybody they're not going to fill it. And it's a sizeable offs for the Dodgers to not have Alex Vesia, and that means they're going to have to rely a little bit more on Emmitt Shean, on Blake Trining, and there's no Alex Vesia to bail them out if they get into trouble. He's bailed both those guys out in big spots, and obviously whatever he and his wife are going through right now bigger than baseball, no doubt. But if we're just talking baseball, it doesn't matter who the Dodgers put on the roster. Yeah, they're filling the spot, but they're not feeling what Alex Bessia did. Lefties, righties, highest of leverage, firefighter. They don't have that right now.
Speaker 6: No doubt he's gonna be missed.
Speaker 5: All right, David Gray, stuff, We appreciate you joining us as always this morning. Looking forward to Game one tonight. All the coverage, of course, begins with the Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck at four o'clock, and you're gonna go one on one with Clayton Kershaw.
Speaker 3: Dodger fans surely looking forward to that.
Speaker 5: We'll continue to hear your voice all day long, David, thanks for joining us this morning.
Speaker 6: Thanks David.
Speaker 4: All right, guys, thank you.
Speaker 9: All right.
Speaker 3: There he goes the one and only David vas Say, and he says, I.
Speaker 6: Just was gonna ask him.
Speaker 8: I was gonna ask him, Hey, what is the Christmas card of you and mister Snell Zilla gonna be composed around? Is it going to be like you guys at the beach. Are you guys going to be in fluffy gear, you know, in a snowsuit somewhere in the mountains?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Is it going to be shorts on the you know, near the beach at a cafe in l A. I think I don't know what the what the you know, what the construct is, but I would guess it would be something that they would probably send out and get advice from a professional, like a you know, stager to find out what they're gonna do Christmas card.
Speaker 5: I can see it now, from our family to yours, Happy Holidays, the Vassays and Blake, and it'll be a family photo probably, and then the second photo on the front of the Christmas card will be a picture of d V and Blake Snell holding the World Series Championship trophy. If the Dodgers ars our fortunate to do so inside the clubhouse or on the field wherever.
Speaker 6: In the bottom it would say all in the family.
Speaker 5: Uh if if the Dodgers are winning the World Series, and that is the Christmas card for the vast a household.
Speaker 8: And maybe a close up with these guys with their arms cross a close up like from the neck up, wearing like a cute smile, with wearing sweaters are wrapped around their neck.
Speaker 6: Oh, matching Santa hats as well. Yes, I like that. I like that.
Speaker 5: We'll come back and we're gonna get Steve's keys to a Game one win. What is it gonna take for the Dodgers tonight to win Game one of this World Series?
Speaker 3: We got it for you all.
Speaker 5: Coming up later on this afternoon, Blake Snell, Trey Savage, Dodgers, Blue Jays, first pitch at five oh eight, Steve's Keys next, Sax and kateson the Am with you on this Friday morning, October twenty fourth, twenty twenty five, as the Dodgers get ready to square off against the Toronto Blue Jays Game one of the World Series from Toronto's coming up at five to eight from the field, to the works its Strauss powers our World Series coverage right here on AMFI seventy LA Sports. We love the folks at Strouds. You see their big logo across the helmets here in the World Series and all postseason long. Shout out to them for all their support. Here on MFI seventy LA Sports, it's Blake Snell and Trey Savage the pitching matchup. We've been all over this matchup. We've heard from Blake Snell, we heard from Max Munty, we heard from the manager, Dave Roberts, we heard from Showeyotani, we heard from everybody anticipation for Game one tonight from the Rogers Center in Toronto. It's time now to hear from Steve Sacks. Steve's keys to a Dodgers Game one win over the Blue Jays tonight.
Speaker 8: Well, I think the key to this thing is going to be and look, there's a reason why Y Savage is starting that first game. Three total starts during the year. Doesn't matter. Is the reaction that the hitters have shown. The brass for Toronto is that. But it's not good. The reactions to his pitches are really really in favor of Trey, so My key to this game is going to be how did the Dodgers react to it? Do their philosophy have grind out that pitcher throughout the game. I think we'll know the first time through that's three innings, it's you know, an hour. It could be less than that, depending how the Dodgers react to it, But the first time through that batting order, tim, I think we'll have a great idea what lies ahead and how effective Treyya Savage is going to be against the Dodgers. It could go either way.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think the key is Blake Snell continue to be dominant, continue to put up zeros, and he's got to put up zero's early. He's got to quiet that Rogers Center's crowd, which is gonna be electric. This is the first time they've hosted a World Series game since nineteen ninety three. Keep the roof on the place, keep the crowd out of the game, keep them sit it down, sit it down their seeds, excuse me, and not let them get up and waving those towels in this game one. If Blake Snell can go out there and neutralize them in game one and get out there and put up zeros early on I think if they even would tray you Savage doing his thing early on Dodgers trying to figure him out as a starting pitcher. Once they do figure him out, whether it's one spin through the lineup or it's early in this game, if Blake Snell on his side of the Ledger can put up zeros, that to me is the biggest key for this Dodgers team keep the crowd and the Blue Jays out of this game.
Speaker 8: I'm anxious to see. That's and that's a great one, tim. I think that's one A and one B as far as it goes.
Speaker 6: It really is. And I think if.
Speaker 8: Shoey Otani can start this game off the right way with a walker or a laser somewhere, you know he's gonna go. Man, there's a lot more to come, but you know, I don't want to face this guy very much, but the fact that he's leading off can set that stage early.
Speaker 6: I think it's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Remember his one time back in Toronto since he elected to sign with the Dodgers and not the Blue Jays. He homered in his return to the Rogers Center, and they were booing him last year when the Dodgers went to the Rogers Center because they felt like they were spurned and they wanted to sign him. With that being said, if he can go out there and give the Dodgers an early one nothing lead, if he can go out there and get on base that first batter of the game, You're right, that is setting a tone against not only the fans in the Blue Jays, but especially after a twenty two year old out there making his first start in the World Series in Treya Savage.
Speaker 8: And also the people in the hotel watching. What do we got as far as vacancy goes in the hotel in center and right field.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I last I looked yesterday afternoon, there was very limited rooms. I think there was one maybe two left, and the price was still hovering right about nine thousand dollars at night. Yeah, but the suite coman talked about anymore or the large room as they called it, that had the large room.
Speaker 6: That makes sense. That was gone, now I get it. Nine grand a night. No, that was gone. That was gone. That's gone.
Speaker 5: The the uh double occupancy two beds, two beds in the room. Uh, small little hotel room was the only one left, and that was going for about nine thousand dollars. But yeah, you get you get a view of the game. Your your ness is paying for a hotel room and you're paying for tickets of the game all in one.
Speaker 6: You don't have to fight the crowd. You just after the game, you just you know, conk out.
Speaker 8: I think that's good. I mean that's good. But the prices is really steep. Tim you're talking, you know, eight nine grand American.
Speaker 6: That's wow.
Speaker 5: I mean that's Steve Sacks money. I mean, when you got that kind of stuff to float around and just kind of throw mytel room, you're you're living right, and that's you know, Hey, I'm Steve Sacks. I want to go to a World Series game. I'm gonna do it on my terms. I'm just gonna fly out there my PJ, my private jet, and I'm gonna go just stay in the Really, I'm just gonna go stay in this hotel room for nine grand a night.
Speaker 8: So yeah, that okay, not gonna happen, not gonna happen, and not gonna happen.
Speaker 6: That's crazy.
Speaker 5: Uh factor tonight, ex player who is in game one, not the series, but game one?
Speaker 6: Tonight, who's the difference maker for the Dodgers.
Speaker 8: I'm hoping that we see a turnover or an awakening from Andy Pajis. I'm looking for him to maybe start something. Okay, get over the nervousness you've been out through. You swung as hard as you can for all those series. You saw what can happens. Let's see if he can kind of suavee it a little bit and get some jack in the bottom of that order.
Speaker 3: That would be a good thing. I'm calling my shot right now.
Speaker 5: Tay Oscar Hernandez is going deep to left field in his return to Rogers Center. The Farmer blue Jay has flown back home and will go deep for the Dodgers tonight.
Speaker 6: Baking It's gonna happen, Okay, Waxy, We'll be here tomorrow discussing it on where.
Speaker 5: Back at it Monday morning, bright and early, six am to nine am.
Speaker 6: What a week it's been, I mean Monday with no games.
Speaker 5: We had a great week of shows, thanks to Michelle, thanks to Zach, everybody a part of it. We'll be back on Monday and we'll have a lot to talk about until then. Keep it right here on a five seventy LA Sports Yours, guys of the Dodge Thank you, Saxy, thank you,