Speaker 1: You don't want to be an American, all right, welcome back.
Speaker 2: Do it.
Speaker 3: A lot happening over the weekend, as you know here at Scott Flown on seven hundred WLW week follow what's happening in Iran with a lot of interest obviously too is we have some casualties now on the American side.
Speaker 1: More on that in a bit.
Speaker 3: First all a little bit closer to home or a lot closer to home. We had nine people shot inside of Cincinnati's one of our largest music venues overnight at Riverfront Live. A gunman got past mel detector somehow opened with a handgun and shot a bunch of people. Nine injured. Fortunately, everyone is going to recover. This happened about one am Sunday morning on Kellogg Avenue in the East End. Non life threatening gunshot wounds. Everybody's stable condition, but some people were trampled leaving the venue in indegurery that way. Still no one has been arrested in this case. She is a member of the Public Safety and Governance Committee and joins the show this morning, and that's Council Member Anna Alby on seven hundred W All, Good morning, how are you, how's your weekend?
Speaker 4: Good morning. Well, I appreciate being here today. I wish it was under better circumstances.
Speaker 3: As always got right right, you know it is. It's a story, is oldest time. We're going to have a lot of people together and you're gonna get knuckleheads with a gun.
Speaker 1: Nothing new there.
Speaker 3: But I think what's interesting here, Anna, is the gunman got pasted, a pat down, a wand a walk through metal detector maybe all three. And as a lawmaker, what does that tell you about the limits of private venue security? But more importantly, we know that a lot of I don't know a lot maybe, but at least a handful of CPD off duty officers were there as part of the security detail, and yet this happened.
Speaker 1: That that's pretty disturbing, it is.
Speaker 4: And you know, I music venue, h you know, I've been there and I've had a great time. So you know, it's one of those instances where it just hits close to home because we all want to be able to go out and have these types of events in our city, right. We want to be able to welcome, you know, performers and have these concerts. And to think that even with what sounds like all the right security things in place that something so tragic can still happen. I'll be honest with something like this. It truly leads me, you know, a little speechless almost because to your point, there were security guards inside, there was a police detail outside, there was you know, metal detectors. So at some point we have to say, come on, like, we need responsible gun owners. We need people who know how to deal with their issues without pulling out a deadly weapon.
Speaker 3: I mean, but these are pretty clearly I'm going to go on and look, I'm a I'm a gunner. Ninety nine percent of people are law abiding gun owners. This isn't someone being responsible, irrespond, This is just someone who has a gun and uses an extension to settle beachs. Basically, you know a man child or woman child generally as a man child. That this has nothing new with gun owners, responsible gun ownership. This and I'll go on record as saying I'm gonna I'm gonna bet the person that let that place up on Saturday probably was restricted from having a handgun because of prior felonies. I will in the bet that that person had a handgun under disability.
Speaker 4: I don't know that that's information that's still you know, under investigation, I.
Speaker 3: Say, and I'm gonna bet that that person should not have had a gun.
Speaker 4: Maybe that's true, and it's so you know, are we work closely through the Grime Crime Gun Intelligence Center with ATS and other local law enforcement to get crime guns off the streets for that very reason. Right, So I think you and I agree here, like if people shouldn't if someone shouldn't have a gun, we don't want them to have a gun.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: So whatever we can do locally to make sure that people who are in illegal possession of the gun, we can get that firearm out of their possession as soon as possible is so vital for that instances like this, But we know more broadly, we are seeing already this year multiple situations where frankly, alcohol en firearms don't Mixinitely, We've had multiple shootings now that are in the content of either being out at a bar or party, bus or music venue. We need people if they're going out to enjoy a night on the count, which I want them to do. I want them to enjoy some snatty nightwafe, leave the guns at home, Leave the guns at home. Right, We want you, you and everyone else to be safe and Also again, people are just lacking the ability to turn down the temperature when conflict arises. The fact that anyone would reach for a gun when there's a dispute, it's crazy to me. We need to be able to have disagreements and settle things out like adults without turning to a deadly weapon. And that comes back to the responsible gun ownership.
Speaker 3: Like you mentioned, it's not even that, it's just like people just don't know that. There's whole Semmens society does not know how to settle an argument or debate maybe a fist or an argument, but they ask, like quickly to a gun. It could have been something entirely stoid. Probably was pretty something stupid as well. But this is a long like someone this is like deliberately walked in there with a gun looking to shoot the place up because they were on camo and everything else. So how they get past security is going to be a huge question that needs to be answered, especially with off duty cops there.
Speaker 4: One hundred percent, I think how they get through, how they got through security, that that's something that we're all interested here. You know, I heard it interview with the venue owner. He too is trying to figure that out and understand how this can happen. You know, I will highlight in the state statute because I looked this up yesterday. You know, guns are allowed in bars unless a private venue takes all those steps which we saw done. To me, there should just be a blanket wall that says no guns in bars. No guns in bars.
Speaker 3: Well, there are right, you're not allowed to have a gun when you're drinking or I mean you're drinking your alcohol. Yeah, yeah, so it's but but that's why they had metalt it. The policy was no guns, and this one got through security. Now, if you go back to what was it, twenty sixteen, twenty seventeen, the Cameo nightclub shooting down on Kelly you know, same neighborhood. A man by the name of Cornell Buckley is the one who shot that place up and he got nineteen years. He's about halfway through a sentence right now. So it goes to show you, you know, that knuckleheads continue just to repeat what they do.
Speaker 1: But it cameo.
Speaker 3: The story was that if you had a VIP entry then you kind of didn't have to go through security, and so with Cameo, there are people kind of going through the back door, bringing their guns and drugs and everything else, and because they paid a lectra or knew the bouncers or there were you know, buddies of the people who work in security, we'd have no idea if that happened here. But according to people that I talked to, and I'm suret as well, Riverfront Live kind of learned from that and that you know, they're doing things differently down there, but again, you can't prevent it all from happening. And that's the disturbing part of cameo was like we found out they're paying people on the side to bring the guns in, and you know people are going to get shot if that's indeed the case. Also, and I will point out that the city wants to shut down in the in between tavern after violence outside there and maybe some things violating liquor laws or liquor licenses on the inside. But is your committee been aware of any safety prior safety concerns at We're Front Live and whether the radar for anything.
Speaker 4: That's a great question. The answers know that this is not a nuisance property. There hadn't been repeated issues, so I think again that that speaks the fact that from what I can tell, they were taking all the right steps. They had the CPD detailed, they had security, they had the metal detectors, they were taking all the right steps to make sure this is a safe night. So at that point that, you know, the question goes to the individual, what happened, why they do it, you know, and learning more about how that gun got through. But you know, more broadly, I think all the city is taking all the steps we can to really make sure that our life, our night life is protected and people are safe going out. So that's why taking swift action was in between with other nightclubs and bars previously, we have taken a firm stance in Cincinnati that that type of behavior from an institution, right if it's over serving, allowing people in with guns, is not going to be tolerated. We want people to enjoy going out in Cincinnati. That's you know, I get tea sometimes when I say we want to make Cincinnati cool again, right, we want people to think of Cincinnati is this fun place to be to come downtown enjoy all our restaurants and bars. So from the city's perspective, we're going to make sure that we're taking all the steps necessary. That's why we're here, you know, doing everything we can in this latest shooting to really figure out what went wrong, what was the gas? And I know CPD is going through the investigation right now and they'll update it as soon as they can regarding your suspects and details. But you know, until then, we're less to just kind of encourage people, Hey, when you're going out on the town, leave your gun at home. Be responsible, leave a gun at home. You know what, I will even take leaving it in a lock box in your car, right, like even that much. Just be relaunchable, be a smart gun owner.
Speaker 3: Well, we know that you should. You know that, like we need another ordinance. I guess if people don't buy. But we know that the main reason people young people, especially breaking the cars, is to get handguns. And they're of the story because you can't bring them into places probably like this venue. But it's safe to say, based on what I've seen so far, it seems like that individual deliberately brought the gun in there because they wanted to shoot the place up. And it wasn't you know, they wanted to leave their handgun in the hell. You know what, These are the stories It made me want to bring my handgun in and concealed carry anna. Quite honestly, I hear this and go, should I be carrying in area where I shouldn't be carrying? I think that's a valid question for the For people who are lawful gun owners, it make you illegal. But guess what I got to fight and chance?
Speaker 1: Then does this?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 1: No, but well, isn't that. But isn't that the idea that you carry a gun?
Speaker 3: You're telling me, okay, gotta leave your gun in the car, I gotta leave you Okay, great, I lock it up.
Speaker 1: I don't bring my weapon.
Speaker 3: All it takes is one person who, by the way, got through armed security screenings, metal detectors, pat downs, and wands. That makes me want to bring my gun more.
Speaker 4: I do not want to turn Cincinnati into the wild West here, right, you know, I probably over it already.
Speaker 3: Is I don't know if you if you've seen the headlines over the first two months of the year, but it kind of feels like the wild Westerns some places we don't.
Speaker 4: Want to turn, you know, Cincinnati or any area bar location into the shootout place. So again, to me to ask is to leave your gun at home or even in a lock box. You were right, you brought up a car being broken into, So having a you know, one of those boxes rather than just leaving in the glove compartment under the seat is really important. In fact, we have with since I Flee, started handing out those lost boxes made for cars at Bengals tailgates specifically for this reason, so people who can't take their guns into the stadium can leave them safely in their car and be responsible.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: Just I know I'm sounding like I'm repeating myself here, but.
Speaker 3: If I bring my gun with me because I fear something like this happened in a big event like this, I am being a responsible gun over That's the whole point of it. To bring in case some knucklehead like this decides to go on a shooting spree. I got a chance to save myself, my family, and maybe the people around me. That is responsible gun ownership.
Speaker 4: You're not gonna have to agree to disagree on this one, because you know, having more guns in this situation to me would a make well if.
Speaker 3: You can pass more laws and more restrictions we always talk about with you, but generally speaking that democrats like to talk about then find when the laws work and we don't have these things happening. Let me know, because then I'll leave my gun at home and I'll be another question. Mayor Pirval mentioned leaning on state and federal partnerships. I know that atf is one of the government. Federal government agencies evolved here in this whole thing, and you welcome them. Yet the city and I think even you yourself said the city wouldn't cooperate with ICE.
Speaker 1: Is there some hypocrisy there?
Speaker 4: So to be clear, So contact seria leader, you're listeners here. So we passed a series of motions at city Hall last week. All of them were very specifically directed towards civil immigration enforcement, and multiple federal courts have ruled that local municipalities local law enforcement cannot be compelled to execute federal civil and so what we are saying is just follow the law if you're going to do these operations and you want.
Speaker 7: So.
Speaker 4: The two pieces we did was not sharing real time access to our surveillance, so cameras like and plate readers grown without a judicial warrant or court order or being mandated by law. And then the second part was not allowing immigration enforcement to stay used city property to stage again without a judicial warrant or court order. So we're saying you can do it, just go through the legal process, right, get that judicial warrant, get that court order. That is what we're asking. Again, this is very much constrained through the context of civil federal immigration enforcement.
Speaker 3: Okay, but that's specifically, We're going to follow a letter of the law there. But as I said, you know, with ATF and other agencies, you want their help in this case. And I guess when I said, is it somewhat hypocritical? Is the fact that well, you know, we may disagree with it. You may disagree that I may disagree with parts of of how they do this. I think some people, my people listening would agree with me on this one. But at the same time, if if, if it's federal law, they have every right to do that. So I mean, you change the law, you lobby your lawmakers, and we change the law. And so I guess, I guess you can't. You can't have it both ways. I guess this is what I'm saying is, hey, we're going to lean in ATF and other agencies, and this one is like, well, you know you're gonna have to get You're gonna have to pull warrants and everything. In other cases, we may be looking the other way, going, hey, it's we have I mean, we just have an action in Iran today. Now, technically you're supposed to go to Congress with the War Powers Act and declare war in Iran. We haven't done that with any nation in a long time. Kind of the same thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, great point on the warner Iran. That is, you know, insane and worth another conversation. But I want to go back and speak to your point about the ATS specifically, when I was crafting and working with ALAW to craft the language around these two motions, we talked a lot about the partnership at the Crime Gun Intelligence Center and how we're working with atf how we work with FBI to make sure that the language and those motions did not interfere with those joint operations, because again, we all share at the end of the day, the goal of getting the bad guys off the streets.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 4: We do not want violent criminals on our street. We are here to work together on that, and so what we did last week around the civil immigration requirements is separate from getting the violent criminals off our street and we worked really hard to make sure we got that language right and frankly in conjunction with talking to CPD asking those law enforcement experts, you know, how do we make sure we don't interrupt those really great operations happening, but still make sure we're protecting our city resources. I said this last week. I'll say it again. These motions are about making sure that city resources, whether that the you know, data surveillance, our properties, are our people, is focused on city issues, right and we are not in charge of the federal immigration enforcement. That's not our job. That's the federal government's job. So we're really just protecting our resources and raining down the rules of the road for ICE when they're in Cincinnati, right. We once in the fall in law. I don't think anyone listening to us right now would think what happened in Minneapolis with two US citizens shot and killed in the middle of the street. I don't think anyone in Sintatti wants that to happen here.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, or any anywhere for the matter. I agreed final point here an I'll be regarding the shooting on Saturday night early Sunday morning at Riverfront Live on Kellaig Avenue. Pretty big venue. I think it holds. I want to say, like, so you said he'd been there about like thirty five four thousand people thirty five.
Speaker 1: Hundred, which is a couple of thousand. Yeah, yeah, that definitely big venue. But I'm going to pray that night.
Speaker 3: But literally, people getting trampled and everything else in the crowds look huge for this birthday party for DJ. In that regard is this should does city be looking at how big events like this are big venues handle security? Is that going to be examined or should it?
Speaker 4: I think everything's on the table again, trying to figure out how this happened, you know, what went wrong? I think all of that is on the table, whether that's something in terms of what the individuals venue is doing or the person themselves. I think that's all on the table. I personally am really eager to hear those detailed investigation when since I police is ready to release it, and you know, the owner of the venue has been really cooperating and out publicly speaking about all the things they had in place to prevent something like this.
Speaker 3: Can you tell me, because you were on public safety and governance, if you've got any word do they have a suspect. I publicly they're saying no, but is there a short list here? Do they kind of know who the person was.
Speaker 4: I'm going to stick to the CPD talking points here, right, I'll point you back to what they've.
Speaker 3: Been sharing, So we wouldn't say if an arrest is imminent, we will not go that far. We will not go that far. Gotcha. She is a council member. Ann Holby on the show Public Safety and Governance. Horrible story here. Just you know, it makes you frightened, you know, and you may not be out in the crowd like that going well, I'd never beat an event like that. That might be, but you know, sons, daughters, grandsons, granddaughters certainly will be your aunt's uncles and nephews. I like a good concert, good show. I'm open to pretty much everything. But you see this and it makes you think twice, just because it just takes one knucklehead like this, with whatever beef it was, to go shoot the place up and this is what happens. She's Anna Alby. Thanks again for the time. You have a great week.
Speaker 1: Appreciate you, appreciate ITAA.
Speaker 6: There you go.
Speaker 3: It's a Scott's Loan show with News on the way in just about five minutes here on the Big One, we'll continue talking about this topic here. So, yeah, a shooting. You know with DJ you're probably not gonna be in that kind of environment. But you know, to a point is that, Hey, you know what, leave your gun in the car. Okay, if we're all law abiding people and we do that and leave it locked up and not bring it with us in the first place, and you go into a venue where there's a lot of people around, and it could be this, it could be church, it could be the theater. You know, I'm gonna go see a movie, could be the Aaron Off Center, could be I don't know wherever it is you are, and you shouldn't have it with you. We've got signs up. Let me ask you something. Doesn't this make you want to bring it anyway? I mean, isn't that There's one saying, well, common sense gun laws and gun great, but it doesn't work because there are people like this.
Speaker 1: He deliberately leave your.
Speaker 3: Gun in there. He brought in the there deliberately to shoot people whoever it was the target was. But nine people got shot. Fortunately, everyone's gonna make it out but that could have been much, much, much worse. I'm sorry, but I hear that and go that makes me want to bring my gun it. I don't know, if I go to the wherever it might be a Red's game, Bengals game, now, chances are you're not gonna get get through security with it. But a big event like that Hall Taste of Cincinnati's coming up, they you know, common sense is that, well, the whole reason good people have them is in the event that they face something like this. I may have I may not survive, but I got a chance because typically when someone liked that starts firing and someone else produces a weapon, they tend to run or drop or you know, they don't. They might fire at the individual shooting the gun. I'm saying, you know, discharging with nine, you know, three thousand people around a good idea. But that's the mindset I think most responsible gun owners have. If you're a responsible gun homer, to leave it, Oh well, what's what's the point of concealed carry your thoughts? Just add Scott's loan to five win, three, seven, four, nine hundred, The Big One, talk Back, iHeart Radio, Quick Timeout and more to follow with news here and weather here as well. Mother nature will just not give up on this winter of twenty twenty five, twenty six for sure, full details that had seven hundred w.
Speaker 1: Scott's flowing here, seven hundred w. O. I'll be doing good. I'll be doing good.
Speaker 3: I was talking to Annaho a Bee minutes ago public Safety and Governance about the mass shooting in the East End. We'll get into the Iran stuff here in just a second, of course. On that shooting. Yeah, the idea that I don't know. I don't want to put words her mouth. It just seems she was a little hung up on the responsible gun owners. You know, responsible gunners don't bring guns into a facility, a building like this. Yeah, yeah, we know that. But I don't think there's a responsible gun owner. As I said, I'm willing to bet the farm that this individual had priors it prevented them from having a weapon like this in the first place. Called weapons or disability and disability is that you're convicted already of something, a felony that would prevent you from having that weapon. Man, you think somebody just woke up one day and said, Okay, I'm gonna go in there. I mean, I could be wrong about that. I've been wrong about things in the past. But it just feels me with the environment at the time of night and all that, that this person probably already had things happening in their past. They shouldn't have had that gun in the first place. That's not a responsible gun owner. Now, you could become an irresponsible gun owner and bring a gun into a venue like that and not pull it out and have it on your person just in case something happens. Yeah, and that makes you. That makes you a lawbreaker, right, it makes your criminal, sure does.
Speaker 1: But I don't know.
Speaker 3: I look at Austin, Texas. Two people killed, fourteen wounded. A guy opens fire outside of buyer early yesterday. The FBI said that there's indications of terrorism. The guy they had tirewell, he's dead now. But fifty three year old Singhalis Men, allegedly wearing a T shirt with an Iranian flagun at screaming out of lockbar, was responsible. He drove around the neighborhood multiple times in an suv before he fired out the window with people at the bar, and then he parked the car nearby and started shooting at pedestrians and the police got there. And killed the guy, and ems responded to the shooting I think within fifty seven seconds, which is incredible, but still too dead and fourteen wounded. Okay, he's not a responsible gun owner. That's it sounds like it's a terrorist, is what it sounds like. Retaliating for Iran, And we're probably sadly going to see in the realities, we're going to see more of that belong to this drags on. Okay, that's part of living in society today. We're always at risk. The minute you leave your houll you know, obviously say leave your house, but the minute you meant you wake up in the morning, if you wake up, there's a chance that something bad could happen. It's a very very very small chance. Shouldn't live our lives in fear. But I think my points vowed were, Hey, look, if you know I go to a bar or a restaurant or a game, whatever it might be, and you know there's a number of people around. I know the sign says gun for z own, you're not allowed to bring it in there. And this place even had metal detectors crying out loud, you'd probably be pretty dumb to try and bring a gun in, which makes you think that maybe he knew somebody at the door or got you know, a kind of got like a side door opened in the past, like with Cameo.
Speaker 1: We don't know yet. We'll find out.
Speaker 3: But my point is I just I assume you just assume in there that okay, it's a gun for his zone.
Speaker 1: No one has a gun. Well guess look what just happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not suggesting, you know, And I don't think my life is at risk in any time when I go out, and sometimes I carry, depending on the situation, sometimes not, but largely not because it's just the pain I'm about to have to lock the gun up and everything else. But here's an example where at least at this nightclub, maybe you had a chance. Although there are a lot of people around. I don't think it's a good idea to open fire with thousands of people around. But who knows what the what the situation was, and the investigation will find out whether or not there's an opportunity there.
Speaker 1: And I get it.
Speaker 3: These are things that make good people want to break the law and care of their guns, what I'm saying. And we've been innudated with this and Hallett is just the beginning the first hours of March, and we've already had shootings too numerous dimension in January February when we had extreme cold through the area. And this is what scares me about things getting warmer and how much worse it might get this summer. I hope that's not the case. I certainly hope that that is not the case. You know, we go I don't know the details all of this thing, and it's just coming up, but it seems like we really better for backwards to go back in history and look for stuff to be offended about.
Speaker 1: I bring this up because a.
Speaker 3: Founding Senior Crossroads Church pastor, Brian Tom has been suspended. They're doing an independent investigation into inappropriate physical humor. Speaking for everyone in radio and entertainment, I don't think there's anything. I mean, honestly, I'm trying to think of a definition of inappropriate. Physically, I think all physical humor is very appropriate. Might have been at the wrong time. Maybe I am pro physical humor. So there's an independent review of what they called inappropriate conducted and label from a I guess a video shoot from twenty to fifteen. So we're going back over a decade ago to twenty fifteen. They looked into this two years ago and I guess their spiritual bored or the whoever investigates such things, and they had a conversation with Pastor Tome and reminded him that he is the leader of the church and kind of admonished him somewhat and slapped him on the rest and said, you just need to keep kind of be mindful. It wasn't anything to get fired over. Having a big investigator criminal nothing criminal wrongdoing with suggestion here. I don't know what the inappropriate physical humor was during a video shoot, but maybe caught up in the moment and certainly is a man, you know, a moral man but also mortal. Maybe you know, you just want a little otside of what a pastor should be done, fair enough, and he got a slap by the rest of it. You probably need to be more mindful this thing. So why are we opening this again? We're doing this again. So the same community member, church member contacted the church about the incident. So they're now going to bring in an independent investigator to look into this thing. And maybe there's something to do with the staff member that was fired in January. I think this creep had I think it was videoing women working out a crunch and Oakley right across the street. I'm not sure the whole situation, but it's like, you know, how far back do you go and you look at someone's record, going, Okay, it was ten years ago and already knew this about you and whatever punishment there was, and it really wasn't much punishment.
Speaker 1: It was more like.
Speaker 3: A correction of behavior and it didn't rise to him being suspended or fired or anything like that. So but now we've got to look at it a second time. It's just a weird it's a bizarre stories. What it is very very bizarre, very very bizarre. You know, it fell off the face of the earth since we had all this big news is trying to figure out what happened with the boat from Florida that went to Cuba and got these guys got killed here anything else about that, And now that we've attacked Iran and you know there's some terrorists. I just I don't know what to make of this whole thing. It's just one of those stories that kind of felt like it's like Savannah Guthrie's mouth. Nancy Guthrie. It's gonna fay off all off the face of the earth because while we're in a new news cycle now we've got shooting here, but more part nationally speaking, it's Iran, and that's gonna take a lot of oxygen jump in the in the media newsroom. I'm just not sure. I'm not sure what happened that whole I just wanted to put that out there.
Speaker 6: Go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, can you remember that Cuban boat? Somebody will asking about that in a couple of months ago. Hey, remember that those people that took the boat to Cuba and they got shot killed? What what the hell was that about? Not sure if the Florida, if the state of Florida or someone from Florida decided that they were gonna go in and start war war in Cuba, gonna go free Cuba or something like that. They're in a little bay of piglet. Bay of piglets is what we'll call this thing. We'll call it the Bay of piglets. Uh, it's five one, three, seven thousand, real quick here, let me get to Brett and Mason here on the big one.
Speaker 5: Brett, how you doing good? I just want to I just want to talk about you know, I was listening to that in the conference with the mayor and all that stuff. Yeah, and you know, look, man, everybody wants to have talked about responsible gun ownership, gun ownership, responsible this you know, guns. This this is not about guns. This is about a culture and about morality and about the way these people are brought up and raised. Uh, it's much deeper than guns. This is a cultural thing, okay, where they decide to use guns instead of other things, right, I mean, you know, arguing, I don't know whatever whatever they can use besides guns. But this, this is not a gun thing. And you know the talking about love, teach your guns, you know, locked up, don't let them steal guns out of your cars. Well, how is it my in my responsibility is for some reason, and I'm unlucky enough to have a firearm stolen from me. Now I'm the problem. I'm the reason that these people got shot. I think it's very irresponsible to continue to point the finger at inanimate objects or whatever you want to say, right because the guy could add a knife and knife incisee nine people up.
Speaker 3: But I don't to get right about that. I mean, we have lost the ability. It seems like we've lost in our culture the ability to have a debate, to be reasoned. And I think it's even true for the intellectual class. I mean, you know, we just spend all the time, look at political rallies and everything else. People spend time just shouting everyone else down. A student, you got a college campus, and you have to have an area where it's a safe zone because I'm allowed to exercise my First Amendment rights but you're not. And of course this fits in the d on a bunch of the things as well, and you're right, it's it's and now society has course, and at least in this way anyway, in many ways we're much better. But where people will just pick up a gun where they used to use their fists of their mouth, and it's it's the fault into that, and so you know, putting the bonus back on responsible. Look, I brought it up a few times, going, look, if you bring a gun with you, If you have a gun and you're like, I'm not going to bring it in there, you should have a lock box, right, you should if you can afford the gun, in the in the ammunition, have it secured in a safe somewhere and I don't know if an ordinance helps with that or not. Probably not, but I you know, i'd like to think that responsible gunners go, Okay, well I've got a trigger lock, I got a safe. I need one of my vehicle in my trunk wherever, so I could at least make an attempt to do that, because so many people are just sticking in the console under the seat that people are breaking in and stealing it.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if that solves.
Speaker 5: Come on, I mean, we both know how easily you know, guns are available, and it doesn't matter if somebody steals one of they're gonna get They're going to get a gun. But you know, the bottom line. And see, I talked to these folks. I've talked to these young kids, these young black kids, and I act them straight up. I said, hey, you know, why, why why guns? What's with the gun? But why can't you guys get out into the street, do some fistic cups, yell at each other, settle your differences, you know. And and he's like, they just don't want to, man, because they just don't want to. They just think that using a gun is the way, it is the way to go. And and and so it's it's a cultural thing, man. It's a subculture of folks that just think that guns are the answer to any argument or any disagreement.
Speaker 7: And that's what I'm not.
Speaker 3: I'm not bright, I'm not I'm not saying that, Hey, it's our fault because we live our guns in our car unlocked. I'm saying, is it used to be people breaking the windows to steal change out of your you know, out of your console or find and then it was like, oh, I got you got a nice stereo. I'm ripping that off the number ringers. And now that young people are doing this and such, and we saw this with the hinting thing is that they they think there's a gun in there. They're looking for weapons as well as other valuables too. So it is the reality. I don't know if they should put more burden not legal gun owners like ourselves. But I'll tell you what, more these things happen, the more I want to become like the criminals and carry with me when I shouldn't. I'll be honest with you, what's the whole point of self defense if I'm leaving my gun in the car.
Speaker 5: Well, that's true too, but in the support systems. Where's the punishment?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 5: I I as part of as part of anyway I was.
Speaker 7: I was in a.
Speaker 5: Courtroom in Cincinnati about a month ago, and there was there was somebody got in front of the magistrate and he was I don't know, menacing or something. He says, now, okay, I need you to come back. Well wait a minute, wait a minute. You've you've you've missed. You've missed court sixty three times. And I sat there and talked to myself.
Speaker 1: What's the thing.
Speaker 5: He's like, sixty three times, Scott, he did not show up for court with zero ramifications. And he goes, well, how do I know you'll show up this time and it won't be sixty four?
Speaker 1: Oh well, I promise you will go again.
Speaker 5: Let him go again sixty three times? I about. We all kind of looked at each other, you know, in the courtroom. I'm like, did he send sixteen? And oh? He argued? He's like, no, no, you're honor. That's it's only twenty three.
Speaker 7: He said.
Speaker 3: You know, we really got to go to the three strikes in your eye. It's like you know when you cut an ankle, monitor off. It's okay, we'll get him when we get a chance. No, that should be that should be brought up immediately, go hey, you know what, we push you to the front of the list. We're gonna come get We're gonna come snatch you up because you're not doing something legally. You're cutting the ankle Monder off to go commit a crime. No one's cutting it off and then going oh God, I'm gonna go to UDF and get a get a Sunday. I'm gonna go to cutting it off because.
Speaker 1: I want to go to church. Don't You're gonna go out and shoot somebody.
Speaker 3: Hey, Brett Bewell Man, I appreciate the call of five one, three, seven, four, nine, seven thousand. Uh, I'm the Brian Tilam thing Tony, what's up?
Speaker 6: Hey, Uh, just just clarify Scott the the whole thing. Ten years ago, a parishioner goes into Brian's office. Heed's an award on Brian's desk, ask about it. Brian picks up the award, does something inappropriate with the ward, and the parishioner reports him, Okay, they have an investigation. The parishioner says they're satisfied with the investigation, they admonish Brian. And now same parishioner comes in a year later and or two years later and brings this up again. There's no new evidence, no new nothing, and now they're bringing uh independent counsel in.
Speaker 3: I wonder why we're bringing that, Why this is an issue now when a second time for the people who are happy with the outcome the first time. I don't know if it's tied to the Oakley, but you know, if he's doing I don't know if the statue is in Inny or an Audi he was in because it's gonna be a It's going to be a crotch joke, is what it's going to be.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's there's all a.
Speaker 3: Physical humwhere you're kind of restricted in what you can do with there's only somebody gags you can do. But you know, if it looked phallic or it looked otherwise. Yeah, but you know again it's okay, we investigated, you probably shouldn't do that. God that I'm a pastor, I should be better at that kind of stuff. Okay, got it. That seems to be enough for most people, isn't it.
Speaker 6: Yes, I think the whole thing is way have a proportion.
Speaker 1: I forget how it was.
Speaker 3: It was athletes who did this for a while, and it hasn't happened well, but like they'll go back. People go back and they'll sign an athlete somebody to sign up a contract, or they'll get drafted, and then they'll go find something on Twitter that they wrote when they were twelve years old.
Speaker 1: You know, I got there's a statute of limitations.
Speaker 6: Here, right, yeah, I mean, and not only the statue of limitations, but it's already been investigated, and the parishioner was satisfied two years ago, and now all of a sudden, the same parishioner is not satisfied.
Speaker 3: But how about this, Go find a new church. People do it all the time. There's like five thousand deities out there. Pick another one, go to a different church, go to different bread, go to it. And there's plenty of strip mall churches out there if you're gonna pick those kind of things. Like why we were visiting this little I have no idea, And maybe there's a lot more there than we know at this point that could very well be going on, but yeah, it just seems punitive at this point. All Right, we got a news update in here. Momentarily the latest on the shooting I just had. I'll be on at nine. If you miss that on the podcast, be the iHeartRadio app. Of course, take that wherever you go, and we're portable to spring your earbuds or reasonable facsimile of thereof, and you take us wherever you go. Of course, the latest on a RAN will get you updated as well. Speaking of which, President Trump will speak at eleven o'clock this morning eleven am for a press conference and a speech from President Trump. Will care that live here on the Nation station seven hundred W DOWD Cincinnati. I want to be an American Indio got flown on seven hundred w W. So much going on mass shooting in Cincinnati on early Sunday morning.
Speaker 1: We also have the war in Iran right now.
Speaker 3: The very latest three F fifteen shot down by Kuwaiti friendly fire. All kroumbers rescued there. Unfortunately, three service members are killed five wounded in attacks on US basis. Pete Hegseth SEC Defense was just talking earlier this morning.
Speaker 1: You heard their news.
Speaker 3: US and Israeli forces launch massive strikes in Iran Saturday morning. It's Operation Epic Fury and here we go again. One of the guys coming out in support of this, surprisingly as a Democrat, is Representative Greg Lansman on the show, Congressman, welcome, how are you. I'm good, I'm doing fine. Too much news and too much bad news at that. I mean, you know, I was young enough to remember seventy nine. Uh didn't know you because I was a kid, but I remember hearing about that, going wow, we got hostages in the embassy. And here we are now in twenty twenty six and Iran Supreme Leader Ayatola Kamanian was killed and a bunch of other top offishes as well, and so we have regime change underway and Iran, which generally are bad at you said you believe for decades the region would have peace without regime. This regime toppling the past administrations, including once you support it, chose not to act militarily, and you're supporting this. So what change and why is now the right moment?
Speaker 7: Greg Landsman, I've always thought that you had to stand up to Iran. Iran has caused enormous mayhem, chaos, violence, death. You know, Kamania is responsible for more death than been ladden by you know, tax right, and at some point you have to stand up to this regime and say enough enough the mayhem and the bloodshed can't continue, and we want peace. We want a Middle East. And you're seeing the golf other golf states jumping in. They want in Middle East without war, out this violence, without this chaos, without this mayhem mayhem, which has proved impossible with this regime.
Speaker 3: Well, they're the largest sponsor of state terrorism and so if you cut that hat off, that's the idea here. They're in chaos right now. But you called this, I think you said this was the best outcome for national security. But the FBI is now elevated terrorism alert for US and Iranian proxies are targeting American bases across the Middle East. So how's that a good outcome for.
Speaker 7: Security because it will hopefully lead to peace in the region. And ultimately when this dies down, you know, you won't see this ongoing threat. You know, at some point, again, you had to deal with this, and you know, for too long, you know, there has been an attempt to just sort of contain the regime, which has not worked. And we've seen what they've done in Lebanon with Hesbela just up you know, completely upended that country and its ability to govern itself. You've seen what they've done in Gaza with moss and and and the awful war it started. Uh. And you know uh Yemen. I mean, the number of lags lost, you know, because of the Hutines and what Iran's done there is staggering. And then they killed you know, thousands, tens of thousands of their own people during you know, the protests a couple of weeks ago, right, And so my hope and what I support, to be very clear, is very targeted strikes on Iranian military assets. So get rid of their you know, their their their missiles, the rockets, any attempt at achieving a nuke uh and uh and you know the high command. Uh. However, if this is going to be a protracted war, you know, regime change in in the sense that you send boots on the ground is not a good idea. And my hope is that the administration is not doing that, it's not preparing to do that. That Ultimately, this is on the Iranian people to sort out. And there's an inside game obviously with the Supreme leader gone, to sort out who's going to run the country. That could lead to somebody who will work with the world. The IATOTA refused to work with the world. Now they're diminished or depleted or destroyed military capabilities does mean that the chaos blend that mayhem should end. That's what I support, a protracted military operation. The President would need to come to the United States Congress, make his case and get the support, get the funding. I wish he's not done yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Congressman Greg Landsman from Washington this morning on seven hundred WLW with the latest on what's happening with Iran. He is backing it, breaking with a lot of Democrats on this. Your colleagues on the left as well as MAGA Republicans too are against this thing. And you know we mentioned is this the right moment? I would say, you know, student uprising and the level of people number killed and incarcerated because of that uprising, as well as the fact that you know, let's face it, there's few and few people alive today that remember what life was like in Iran pre nineteen seventy nine. And I think there's an opportunity here that's waning. As opposed to just looking at something in the history book, you have people said no, it was much better. We're democratized, women were going to university and we're free. And that's what the glory days were like. And we've seen generations that were just raised on oppression, and so I think in that context with the student uprising, I really think that that was the catalyst for this to happen.
Speaker 7: Agree, Yeah, I mean, you know the fact that they went and it wasn't just a crackdown. They murdered, Yes, you know, tens of thousands of people in the works of a couple days. And you know, if the world justs back and says we're not going to do anything, We're gonna We're gonna let them continue to not just oppressed, but murder their own people and fun terrorism all over the region, that's the problem. I mean, what does that say about us? Yes, this is a very hard decision. This is uh, you know, a very difficult moment, and and people are are nervous, scared, frustrated. I get that. I do think though, that you you have to uh take these moments and and do what you think is best. And in this case, I think the military and I trust the generals, I trust our allies are saying this is a moment to end the the the chaos of this regime. And uh, you know, I I hope that is what ultimately happens. I would like to understand to be clear what the full plan is. We get a briefing classify briefing by partisan briefing on Tuesday. That will be very important. And uh, and I think the administration the present needs to say this is what will happen now. Uh, it has not been as clear as it needs to be that in fact, what we're doing is destroying their ability to destroy right there. We're going after the bombs and the missiles and and and they are military infrastructure. Uh. And here's how we believe this will end. That is that is something that the American people need to hear. The United States Congress needs to hear and and and Congress does have a a big role. We declare war, we have to fund it. And so if this is anything more than targeted military strikes, they have to come to the United stund.
Speaker 3: Greig Glenn, do you think that Trump and the administration had the constitutional authority to do just that without getting a war declaration?
Speaker 7: Yeah, so the laws as that you know, the administration, the president can can engage for up to sixty days without you know, before getting a vote on Congress. If it goes beyond that, he needs a vote, and I agree with that. You know, they can't, they can't operate outside the constitution. We are a constitutional democracy and and you know, going after this repressive, you know, destructive, violent regime is I think the right move. Working within the constitutional democracy and going to Congress is also the right call. I would do that if it were me, I would be in front of Congress making the case, making the case united the American people and getting the support I need. I would be doing both. He needs to do both.
Speaker 3: Should we have done that one in Venezuela. I don't think most people care about that now in hindsight too or is that different?
Speaker 7: You know, Venezuela is uh I thought a award choice. I don't think this is a ward choice, I think or military action of choice, right, you know, I know he wanted to get a dureau he got Maduro. It is an incredible thing what the military did. There's no question, but nobody thought Venezuela was posing a threat to the United States of America militarily. There was obviously drugs and other things that needed to be dealt with, and and you know, I am all about you know, getting the Sentinel and all this stuff out of the country. Iran has obviously presented a grave threat to the region and to the world for decades. There's no question about that. And no one's arguing that this is not this is not something that you know, that we could continue to avoid. But I thought the the you know, going after Venezuela the way he did was not the right move, right.
Speaker 3: You know, do you think what I'll giving them too much credit here, Greg Lansman, do you think it was pre contextual in that it's like, well, if we get to Venezuela, get Maduro out of part of that, that helps. But also, we have a supply of oil now, and we're bringing the oil over, and now we go in week top we tackle I ran and it just so happens this is months after we've got a steady supply of oil coming in the United States for Venezuela, because we know the straight of horror moves is going to be closed off and gas prices are going to go out.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 3: I don't know if they offset each other or what the you know, I'm not smart enough to be able to figure that out. But if you believe in pre contextual things and plans and plots and conspiracies, those two things sure fit together.
Speaker 7: I do believe that the Venezuela was but oil, which I don't like and most Americans don't like don't go to work for oil. I do not believe that one was done to set up the other. I think Iran has been a big question for every president as to whether or not you can and negotiating and and and does diplomacy work or do you have to finally, uh, you know, fight back. And I believe Iran responds to strength. You know that they they they they they don't want what's happening right now.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 7: They want to continue to sort of I think, aff scape and and and build out their capacity to continue to terrorize the region and ultimately go after the United States. That's their ga Uh yeah, you know, So they they they're they're not you know, uh, they may be shady about how they build their stuff, but they're not, uh you know, shady about what they're intented. They're intended to kill us. So look, I I think this is uh, you know, the right move in the sense that you know, we're finally standing up to this brutal regime and the goal has to be not about anything other than peace. I really do believe that like this is this is a moment in history where the Middle East could fundamentally be transformed. And you look at Saudi Arabia and Bahrain and the UAE and others, and they're saying, look, we're trying to participate in the world. We're trying to bring the world here. We can't have you know, war and chaos and violence and terrorism. And we're saying, yeah, we agree, we want to be part of a renewed, transformed Middle East.
Speaker 3: In that regard, there's no transition plan here, there's no nation building framework. You know, we'd be headed. We took the head off the beast, but our diplomatic relations with Iran have not been existing since what nineteen eighty? All right, so we do this for a few weeks, the bomb stopped falling. We're really bad at nation building, We're really bad at regime change. Greg, how does that change this summary?
Speaker 1: And does it?
Speaker 7: Well, that's yeah, and that would change my position. I mean that that was never anything I've supported. I mean, I you know, the for me is, you know, continue to undermine its ability to cause violence and mayhem and and and and war. Right, so go after, you know, to completely destroy their ability to uh, you know, to mess with others in the region. I mean, cut off their lines to these terrace networks. Uh, destroyed the ballistic missiles, their their their capabilities around a nuke, et cetera. And you know, now that the aetola is gone, there is a there is a mechanism within the you know, Iranian regime to elect a new supreme leader. It's it's three it's three people, as I understand it, who now convene the council and they will decide. Now what happens there, uh, you know, could lead to some change where we now have of somebody in charge that we can work with. You are right that putting troops on the ground and and and doing nation building is a mistake that I would never support. Continuing to go after these military assets until they're gone, uh and then pulling back and seeing if we have a chance at peace, to me, is the right the right move.
Speaker 3: Okay, But some of the insiders say, well, what the regime is going to look like is far worse than we have with the COMNI because in that environment we have totalitarianism. Uh, it's all the generals, it's all the military, the autocrats. They take over power, and you wind up with a worse leadership role in Iran than you did before because it's all going to be about getting back to the United States and Israel and all the nations that that led the war in Iran. That's the danger there. We've seen it before, we'll see it again, probably Afghanistan, the latest version of that.
Speaker 7: M Yeah, I don't know if we'll see it here. You know, the fact is that uh, you know, they will have very little hopefully at the end of this uh limited operation. Uh. And it's hard to imagine anyone being worse than in the ietolah than a theocracy. This is a This is a guy that believes that he is uh believed that he was sent by God to destroy those who were were not like him. And so it doesn't get much more dangerous than that.
Speaker 3: Greg Landsman, your face and voters in the district. Polling is pretty broad, and we're also very skeptical on military intervention at this thing. There's a political consequence there for you, and and also point out that oil prices presumably, Well they're going to go up here. We don't know how high, but they are going up starting today probably if not sooner it did, And and people already you know stretched. Then is there fear that politically speaking, they turn around to blame Trump, but they also blame you, going, well, you supported the war and now I've got to pay for four dollars a gallon plus?
Speaker 1: Is there an implication there?
Speaker 6: There may be.
Speaker 7: I mean I think that you know, you you've got to always do what you think is right as Cornyes, that may sound. I do believe like if you believe that something is right, you got to say it and you got to act on it, period, regardless of the consequences and politically, and so you know, I think in the end, because this is not the first time I've I've sort of bucked the party or I've done, you know, something that wasn't necessarily at first, it's something people agreed with. People do appreciate not everyone, but but but a lot of people do appreciate the fact that they can trust that that that I'm leading with convictions, that I'm I'm doing what I believe is right, that I'm not playing politics and in this day and age, that's a rarity. I think people do like the fact that you know, hey, this is an independent guy who does does what he thinks he thinks is right, and takes tough positions. He takes, you know, he makes the tough calls like that's leadership, and uh, you know, I think ultimately that's where folks will be. But you know, I can't. I can't work through that calculation in something like this. It's either you know, if it's something I would have done, I would have done targeted strength. I would have intervened and said enough is enough. Now he's going to lose me, to be clear, that's fun. He's gonna lose me if he keeps if he keeps at this and and and continues to talk about regime change and continues to do so without Congress, he will lose me. And and quite frankly, you know, I don't trust Trump. I don't. I don't trust him. However, I trust the general rules, uh, and and I trust our military, and I trust our allies. And so you know, my hope is that this is limited, that they go in you know, over the course of several days, hopefully not weeks. Days and they they destroy the regime's ability to continue to destroy lives. Yeah, that's what that's what I want.
Speaker 1: That's the hope there.
Speaker 3: What real quick, what role does Congress have in a new regime there or what what should the framework be for you guys in the legislature.
Speaker 7: Well, the United States Congress have to be involved in this. You know, I was glad that the administration resumed this, you know the process of informing congressional leaders, Democrats and Republicans. They did not do that with the Venezuela. Their argument was it was it was so, you know, top secret, and they thought that somebody would lead and blah blah, blah blah. This is not the same thing. They have to stay fully engaged with us. I'm glad that there is a full congressional classified briefing on Tuesday.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 7: And I do think Congress has to send a message to the president, Look, you have got to work with us. You have got to come here and and participate in this constitutional democracy which says we make this call too. So you know, there is this war Powers resolution. You know, on one hand, it sends the message, hey, you got to work with us. On the other hand, it says you know it says, look, you got to you know, yes, you got to pull out the asset out of the region. I think that's a mistake, but I do think sending that message you have to get a yes from us is very important.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 3: He is a Congressman, Greg Landsman from here in Cincinnati, waiting to get word from the White House at some point and their role in regime change. And this will continue and hopefully you know, this is maybe one we get right. I'm a little leary. I'm a little nervous about Regie without a plan, and we don't have a plan right now. You get three. I think a body of three individual decide who the new Supreme leader is. Hopefully that won't matter. Greg, all the best, Thanks again, be well, Thanks running late as always. Here we'll get a news update in. We'll switch it up. Julie H's here. It's Mental Health Monday. Next on the show, talk about the death of Romance. The debt is Romance Dead. We'll discuss coming up on seven hundred.
Speaker 8: W Everyone needs help every now on then, and she's here to help us get our heads right. This is Mental Health Monday with mental health expert Julie Hattershire with.
Speaker 1: What's going on in Iran and of course the mass shooting.
Speaker 3: With the President speaking by the way at eleven o'clock this morning, we have it for you live here on the Nation station seven hundred w do. But he's part of a Medal of Honor ceremony. Will be offer some words about what's happening the action Iran right now. We certainly need a mental health break now more than ever. Joining the show, licensed mental health therapist Julie Hattershare Mental health Monday in the Scotsland Show.
Speaker 1: How are you?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 3: Oh uh oh, we got a bad connection here stand by there we go, there we go, there we go.
Speaker 1: You charge your earbuds or what you forgot to do that?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I'm actually holding my phone so I don't know.
Speaker 1: What the deal with I don't know either. First of all, welcome.
Speaker 3: Secondly, something like thirty seven percent of single adults under the age of thirty report no interest in dating, no interest whatsoever for almost four and ten of young people under thirty. And we need those people because if you're a grandma or a grandpa or a mom or dad, you nag them into having children. Of course, that is an age, old adage, and we also need them to get together, fornicate and produce young taxpayers to keep our old asses going.
Speaker 1: That's the biggest thing. What is in it for me? So if there's no romance, there's no taxes. Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: Yeah, perfectly, that's a great that's exactly threw there.
Speaker 1: That's what we need. We need babies, and we need taxperts.
Speaker 2: Now and workers to pay our taxes.
Speaker 3: I know, well, a lot of people, well I know a lot of people under thirty the same thing that they're right. It's like, yeah, you know, we might connect down on a half or something like that, but you know, largely it's like women hate men and men hate women at this point.
Speaker 1: It's interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a big part of what's going on. The younger generation is pretty polarized around sort of the culture in our world right now, the politics, but also what men's roles should be, what women's roles should be. And it's really surprising the numbers. So I did a little research in baby boomers, seventy eight percent of them had a boyfriend or a girlfriend.
Speaker 7: In high school.
Speaker 2: For Gen X, seventy six percent had a boyfriend or girl's friend in high school for gen Z only fifty six percent did. That's a significant drop. And part of the problem is is in high school and early adulthood that's when you learn your relationship skills, so that by the time you find the person that you want to pair off with long term, you kind of know what you're doing, and if you don't, things often don't go well.
Speaker 7: So this is this is a big deal.
Speaker 3: Do you think it may be the root of this thing is certainly not always the cause, but the root of it, July would be the reliance on social media to socialize. Is that you're looking at a screen and you can't at some point that does not translate to human interaction.
Speaker 2: Yes, I do think that's a big part of it is so many of our interactions now are online. And it's not just social media, it's you know, I can chat with my doctor, I don't actually have to go in. You can order a pizza online without actually having to speak to a person. So the interpersonal conversational skills seem to be falling by the wayside in younger and younger generations because they don't have to actually talk to people. So many classes are online, line my son's getting a master's degree largely online. He doesn't even really have to interact with people except via his screen. So so many of these things are growing digital and people are losing the skill set of actually having conversations, meeting people, figuring out how to interact socially, hanging out with their friends, and finding a person they find attractive in another.
Speaker 7: Group and going up and approaching them.
Speaker 2: All those things that we did when we were kids. The younger people today.
Speaker 1: Are not able to do.
Speaker 3: And what the yeah, I mean the advent of digital technology it makes it and I throw AI in there as well, is like you look at it, goinga I, you know, do I really need to socialize outside of the digital world because I can get pretty much anything, But you do need human context. As a licensed mental health therapist, there's a need there, right, you have to have human interaction.
Speaker 2: You have to. We do. We have to have human interaction. We are designed to be touched, so we have to have physical touch in order to thrive. Babies who aren't touched physically, babies and orphanages in third world countries or the Eastern Block, back when that was a really big deal, weren't touched and they didn't thrive. And that is a piece of what we need. We need face to face interaction, we need partnership, we need friendship, we need human connection. And not all of that has to be with your long term mate or with a.
Speaker 7: Boyfriend or a girlfriend, but some.
Speaker 2: Of that needs to be because we are designed to be communal and we.
Speaker 1: Are designed to pair off.
Speaker 2: That's what we're wired for.
Speaker 1: This is the most.
Speaker 3: This is the most anxious generation we've ever had in America. Question that also makes it that almost it harder to get a relationship right. So it's like this, it's a self fulfilling prophecy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're anxious, and they're not terribly resilient, and so a setback or a bounce back, or some friction between one another really causes them a higher level of distress than in generations before. So they don't want to and I'm using air quotes here settle for someone, and the options are so seemingly limitless on social media and dating apps and such that it's very easy for them to just keep swiping and looking for the perfect person who will never cause them any distress, who will never disagree with them, who will never annoy them, and as we know, having been in relationships for a long time, it's not like that. That's just not realistic, no question, But that's their version of it. Yeah, And social society creates.
Speaker 1: Problems and it doesn't.
Speaker 3: And it drives a preference for dating apps, right, because that's a part of a digital filter. But that also carries its own harm.
Speaker 2: Well, it carries its own harm because as anybody who's ever been on a dating app will tell you, you carefully curate your profile, just like you do on social media, and it shows the aspects of you that you think would be most attractive to someone you would want to attract. But that's not all of you. And eventually you have to get off the app and meet at some point in time if you're going to take things any further. And I can't tell you the number of times my kids are in their thirties, I can't tell you the number of times that they've been in conversation with someone and then that person just ghosts and flakes out. And my guess is that they have done that too. I'm not going to say they haven't, but to actually get to the point where you meet someone and engage in conversation and do things together and spend time together. Sometimes that feels overwhelming, and so there are a lot of the younger generation who are talking on dating apps but not actually meeting people in person to do anything. And as time goes on and you continue down that path, it becomes more and more overwhelming to think about doing that because you haven't developed a skill set in your younger years to be able to operationalize that as you age.
Speaker 3: Is it more about self consciousness, embarrassment? Is it overthinking it? Is it the paradox of choice where you're thinking that no one is going to be good enough because you meet people on an app but it doesn't work out. But you do that in real life, you probably don't keep score that way, but in an app, it's like, oh man, I'm zero for thirty here now and I just can't meet the and you just go, man, maybe there's just no one's out there.
Speaker 1: I'm giving up on it. Is that kind of what's happening?
Speaker 2: To tell you, that's a big piece of it is. I can tell you that I hear from a lot of my clients and a lot of my friends who are single, there are no good people out there. The men say there are no good women. The women say there are no good men. The reality is that's not true. There are plenty of good people out there. But what is I think true, is that there's nobody who's ideal and who's perfect and who might measure up to what we have.
Speaker 7: In our minds that we're looking for.
Speaker 2: And when we have so many potentially perfect options available to us at the swipe, it's really easy to keep looking for that versus really investing in a flawed, fragile human in front of you.
Speaker 3: You know, yeah, Julie Hatters share our license mental health therapist. It's Metal Health Monday on the Scott's lun Show, seven hundred WW ten minutes roughly from now, give or take President Trump's going to speak, we'll carry that live for you. Relative to Iran, right now, we're talking about gen z ors younger people under thirty almost four and ten single adults in that cohort report no interest in dating whatsoever. And that's just the ones that stop dating. I'm sure there's ones on the brink going well. I kind of dabble in a bit of any good and there's a lot of reasons for that. We're chopping it up this morning with Julie on seven hundred WLW. You think part of this is also perfectionism because the anxiety loves are high because we demand kids to be perfeme know the mistakes we made, the dumb stuff we did't were kids are not tolerated anymore by their parents, and so there's a lot more pressures, more academic pressure, there's so Sovidre's dating pressure. All this coming to a head right there. But is this part of our perfectionist culture.
Speaker 2: I think that's partly yes. And you mentioned parents, and I think parents have a huge role to play in this because I think that parents now of younger children.
Speaker 6: Are so.
Speaker 2: So hovering and so overly supervisory of their kids, and dating and connecting in that way doesn't happen under parental supervision. But when kids are so overscheduled, they have every last minute of their day accounted for, they don't really have the opportunity to go and hang out and find someone you find attractive at the movie theater and go up and talk to them. You don't have the same opportunity to do that as we did when we were kids. And on the one hand, as a parent, I understand that you want your children's lives to be productive and you want to set them up for success. But what I think people miss is that the flirting and the dating that you do in your teenage and your young adult years, high school, college and shortly after is the stuff that gives you the skills, and gives you the experience, and gives you the confidence, and helps you know what you're looking for in a partner, who you like and who you don't like, qualities and characteristics appeal to you, and which ones don't, so that when you are serious about looking for your lifelong partner, you have a database of information. You have experience, you have confidence, you know what you bring to the table, you know what you're looking for from somebody else, and you're not trying to figure all of that out when the stakes are really high, when you're in your late twenties and thirties and you're looking at wanting to have children, and for women, the biological clocktics more than for men, So you figure this out earlier on right, and then by the time you get to that age, you know what you're looking for and.
Speaker 7: What you bring to the table.
Speaker 3: Okay, Julie, when you talk to younger people like this is clients and we know there's this I don't know that this growing hostility in the world. You know it's left and right and up and everyone's fighting with everybody. That there's hostility between the saxes, right, men and women, not just in couples. We see that online rhetoric has played a lot of this. We have the anti patriarchy crowd, right. We also have the red pill crowd too as well. When you're in that circle, is that really just story aring how you see potential partners?
Speaker 2: Absolutely it is. It. It sets the expectation for what you're looking for. So in the last decade plus, women have tended to become much more liberal than their same age male counterparts have, and men have tended to become much more conservative than their same age female counterparts have. And not only in terms of politics, but in terms of what you view men's and women's roles in relationships as being what you're looking for from a potential mate. And obviously we're talking about heterosexual here, but what men are looking for from women and what women are looking for from men is becoming increasingly.
Speaker 7: Polarized as well.
Speaker 2: And of course you are if you are part of the you know, with the Epstein files and all of the men, not all men, but it's always a man rhetoric out there. Women become very very cautious around them, and then the men have the trad wife kind of rhetoric out there, the red till crowd as you call it. They become very cautious around women. Women are only after one thing. Men are only after one thing. And it's not true interpersonal relationships, but it seems to be true in the aggregate in our culture right now that that's what people believe.
Speaker 3: Got it, And I'm sure therapy can help with this, but it's pretty scared. The four and ten just simply don't want to date. People under thirty are out of the dating game, which is frightening. She's July Hatters here, a licensed mental health therapist. Do you want to reach out to her for a question and maybe future topic. It's he Julie at Bconnected dot Care, practicing out of Clifton, licensed mental health therapist.
Speaker 1: Thanks again for the time, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thank you talk soon, beck area.
Speaker 1: Have a great day.
Speaker 3: We've got news on the way. The President's have to speak in just minutes. We'll have it for you live, talking about Iran doing a Medal of Honor ceremony. We'll be talking about the conflict there and what to expect to answer them some questions, and we'll cover that for you here. When he breaks in, we will break our programming and cover that coming up in a full news update minutes away here on seven hundred WW Cincinnati,