Speaker 1: On air at AM five seventy LA Sports and on demand on the iHeartRadio app. This is the Petros and Money Show. You are one of the kind, hosted by Petros, Papaday guests left school after sixth grade, and the voice of the Bolts Matt money Smith.
Speaker 2: The answer is on money.
Speaker 3: There is nothing you can do. You know it's coming.
Speaker 2: This is the Petros and Money Show on the home of your world champion Los Angeles Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Make us your top preset on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 4: Cover cover one condition you adouncing with us everything everything, you see your father, then you see me.
Speaker 2: You all feel Mick is pep. You all feel Mick is deep. Yeah that has happened to you. Yeah, Petro said money. One more hour of great sports talk here on amp Breeze Sports Talk seventy LA Sports, your home of Dodger Baseball. Dodger Baseball not playing tonight, but that doesn't mean the Dodger music does not continue to drone on and on in your head endlessly. Off night Dodger Talk with the one and only Tim Kates sponsored by Sapporo Beer is Tim Kates, but not the Dodger Talk as a whole. Probably shouldn't have mentioned it in that way, but hey' is a free me Sapporo, good with sushi, great with baseball, and that's tonight. Also the Farm Report with the one and only Tim Kates coming up at seven o'clock. Until then, we are doing the Petrosen Money Show and we've started at three, so there's a lot to podcasts. There, really nice conversation with James Worthy, Yonder Alonzo, good stuff and some top stories of the day. Kate's talked to Little Lakers basketball. But don't forget the podcast. The show on the iHeartRadio app and relive all of that stuff. And as far as the schedule goes, we'll be back on tomorrow at three o'clock for more great sports talk and right now brought to you by Concordia University Irvines Masters and Coaching Program. Sign up. You only got a little more time to sign up for the summer term. Go to CUI dot edu slash Coaching CUI dot edu slash Coaching Fun Effect. It's the yeah We're three fun fact. Well, the golf event in Augusta, the Masters is going on right now. A lot of people upset that Travis Kelsey's running around and Kevin Hart is yelling at everybody the par three thing. It seems like people are over it, and the golf purists are unhappy. I'm sure Matt Smith will come back tomorrow and say something about the golf and the sunlight and the timeless Augusta National. But here is a fun fact about Augusta National.
Speaker 3: Oh I can't wait.
Speaker 2: Well, I BET's about Augusta, Georgia, because I think if this guy walked on to Augusta National when he was alive there, he'd have been shot. James Brown, yes, the Godfather of Soul, had a personal friend of our old colleague Pat O'Brien. James Brown's been dead for twenty years, but twenty years Day six been that long. Wow died in six born not in Augusta, born in South Carolina, the famous cocaine singer of the Godfather of Soul. But he lived in Augusta and grew there. He moved there from the time he was four or five into one of his aunt's brothels because his mother left town went to New York City. He performed for the troops at Camp Gordon, and he boxed in Augusta. And if you've ever been to Augusta, Georgia, which I have not, but it was twice the capital of the state of Georgia. No longer, but it was. The statue of James Brown in the middle of downtown has been removed, seriously. Yeah, not because he was a woman beater or because of the cocaine, just because they're building a park around it. They removed it and it's in like a garage somewhere for safekeeping, and they're going to bring it back so everybody can look at the Godfather of Saul once more. But I love James Brown. He is a great artist, and he has a depth and breadth of his work that is extremely impressive. And just because he was a psycho screaming cocaine guy with a haircut like a sixty year old black woman should not deter people from.
Speaker 3: The fact that he was brilliant.
Speaker 2: How about when that park gets finished and the statue goes back up. We're supposed to be there in Augusta. We make a little trip out there, Mac and go golf. You can't golf, no one's No one's getting on in Augusta. If anybody can get on Augusta, your radio partner can get on.
Speaker 3: We can look at the park. Do you want to do that?
Speaker 2: I mean what it takes longer to golf than it doesn't look at a statue.
Speaker 3: A couple of labs around the park.
Speaker 2: It's more like a median. He'll go to the bar James Brown, Augusta, Georgia, not Augusta, Nashville, where he would most likely be arrested if a lot. But now it's time with a quick hitch.
Speaker 3: Some to get mess.
Speaker 2: Quick hitch, come make it quick, y'all? Yeah, Dodgers or nine to three and they're off tonight, but that won't stop Tim Kates. They're back at home tomorrow, starting versus the Texas Rangers over the weekend. If you are going to the game tomorrow, this is huge. Show Aotani greatest game bobblehead knife, so first of two, by the way, not just greatness in one bobblehead, but two bobbleheads. This one's going to feature his three home runs in the postseason game. It's as if the Dodgers know that these Otani bobbleheads commemorating his great feats are a big attraction. Well, when you caught one of the greatest feats of all time because he pitched and hit and did it so well in that game four of the NLCS. It deserves two bobbleheads and this is the first of two, brought to you by Syncron, of course, the official hydration beverage of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Look for that synchron pre impost workout drink at your local roufs. So we talked about this at the beginning of the show. There's fifty six thousand people the Dodger Stadium holds. They're giving away fifty four thousand.
Speaker 5: Woo.
Speaker 2: You got to be a real idiot to not get one. You really be in the minority. But still it's not everyone. We talked to Yonder Alonso. He's got the Angel game tomorrow. The Angels hit the road. They are in Cincinnati tomorrow. Don't you know. Pump it up. You've got to pump it up, don't you know? Pump it up. Weekend series versus the Reds outfielder Jorge Solaire and Braves pitcher Ray Rinaldo Lopez each suspended seven games for the Big fight last night, which was fun to watch. Each player's appealing and can play pending a hearing, and Yonder did discuss that very raucous baseball brew haha from yat last night. I mean you remember the one he was talking about that he was a van That was Zach Rank hurting his shoulder after that. I do remember that that was a big deal back then. Do you have the call on that. I would like to hear it. I'd like to hear Yonder Alonso tackling A j Ellis in the moment, and he did look like a Cuban miss going right after the big fat wi concert Catcher's ass of our friend A j Ellis three and two and it hit him, wouldn't you know? Now he has something to say and look out here.
Speaker 4: A j Ellis got out there just as Drankie and Quinton got together. Quinton continues to amaze as he consistently gets hit by pitches. It looks like the majority of the players are trying to be peacemakers. The trio of Granki along with aj Ellis and Carlos Quinton, the Dodger bullpen Hinton gent Quinton being led away.
Speaker 3: Off to the left.
Speaker 4: And Matt kemp Is, I rate don't touch me, I think he said to Bud Black, don't touch me. Matt Kemp keeps saying the Bud Blackick Well Quinton hit again and very hot. Matt Keff remember very early in the game the pitch that went over Matt Kemp's head to the backstop. I don't know whether that was the retaliation by Granky, but that's why Matt Kemp is very much involved in this. Garry Harston keeping him away je Hare and that.
Speaker 2: You cannot state enough how good Vin Scully was, just how how perfectly he announced that, and he was old, what a star did he ever do boxing? I should know this, but I mean it probably did everything. Yeah, he'd be great at talking boxing. Describe what the Lakers are fifty and twenty nine. They've lost three in a row. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Bill Plashki said they should just pulled up the ten.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the okay, Bill Dodgers should too, Right.
Speaker 3: He says, leave Luca in Spain or wherever he's at. Getting that present.
Speaker 2: The die Marra story still STIGs me. The Lakers are fighting to hang on to the four seed. They're currently tied with the Rockets with three games to play. They're at Golden State tonight and then at home and Home versus the suns on Friday and at home versus the Yazz on Sunday. Good luck to everybody involved. The Clippers are heading to Portland. Kates, you are our Clipper correspondent. Oh yeah, Clippers forty one and thirty nine right behind them and the Portland Trailblazers at forty and forty. Tomorrow's game huge, so crucial with a one game lead over the Blazers for that final eighth spot. That if the Clippers win, they'll finish with the eighth spot. The Trailblazers will get the ninth spot, and that's huge in the play in Tournament p If the Clippers lose, they would need to win their season finalees Sunday at home against Golden State, and the Blazers then to lose their final home game against Sacramento. Otherwise the Clippers would finish ninth. Not confusing at all, eight seventh ninth win here, lose there. This team's tanking there. It's just the exciting point of the NBA season. The final week. The nc Double A is exploring a significant change to their eligibility rules. The proposal creates an age based standard. What about Chris Wank Nope, he'd be done. Athletes would have five years of eligibility from their nineteenth birthday or high school graduation. The clock starts, go, I'm fifteen, but I'm in eighth grade. The proposal, which mirror's language written into the executive order issued by President Trump last week, would not grant extra years for red shirts or waivers like this, except for small groups of outliers maternity leave, military service, religious missions. More members of the NCUBLEA Division one Cabinet are set, like Nick Saban, are set to reveal this proposal at their meeting next week, with potential for implementation as soon as this coming academic year. You like this, clock starts, you got five years. Go whatever you do with those five years, it's up to you. But if you want a red shirt, you're costing yourself a year. The only thing you can get out of it is a medical issue he torri r acl or something. You'll get an extra year. It sounds like, or you go on your Mormon mission.
Speaker 3: I like this. It's like how it used to be pretty much, but now there's literally a clock starty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it used to, I mean they used to. It used to be really hard to get more than one red shirt. Now they hand him out like they hand out aspirins. Yeah, now we're going to court over this stuff. Fernando Mendoza And what I think is a great decision, really yeah, is not going to the draft. Instead, he'll be in Miami with his family and we'll find out the list of players who are going to Pittsburgh for the draft in a few days. Why do you think it's a good thing. He's going to be the face of the NFL, the number one pick in the draft. He needs to be on stage. Right. Why he's already the number one pick. They're gonna talk like, I don't know, like you go out. He seems like some guys are built for that, right, And he's great with the media. First of all, his mother's not very mobile.
Speaker 3: True.
Speaker 2: Now, he made a lot of try She made a lot of trips during the football season, no doubt. But maybe it has something to do with that because and maybe her condition's different. So there's that we know about the family story in that regard. The other I think is just what do you do if you're the number one pick or if you're one of the guys they have you at the draft? You wear a bunch of suits. They give you every opportunity to make an idiot out of yourself. You're doing your posing for every like Instagram, slow camera going around you, thing made for TV production, right. I mean they just sit there and exploit you for three days and run you around. I mean, you're already the number one pick. Everybody already knows who you are. It's giving the effort. It's telling the NFLFU you're not going to be able to market me this week. And maybe that bothers the NFL. But here's a young guy who seems like he's very religious, really comfortable in his own skin. He's got a mother that's not mobile to me good. I mean, it just gives you every opportunity to look like an a hole sitting there celebrating yourself, running around, and your future teammates are gonna look at you and be like, okay, you know, I mean, I don't know. I mean some guys are built for it. Some guys are self promoters and they love to go out there and do it. And that's not bad. Football takes all kinds. But I think Ferdy Mendoza is going to be talked about and exploited enough just being the number one pick on the draft. Either way, he's going to be on a plane that night, a PJ private jet flying to Vegas to be introduced to the Vegas media at the Raider Compounds out. They should just family should be at the Mandalay, not like that.
Speaker 3: That would be the smart move. That would be the smart move.
Speaker 2: This is a huge hit though, to the NFL because they bring him in a few days before they do the whole circuit. They do the red carpet and then they do the big picture on the He's not happy about it, but I personally I kind of like it all right. What happened to the Masters opening routed Augusta Sam Burr at five under, one of your co leaders along with Rory McElroy also finished at sixty seven today, five under par for his opening round. He of course, you're defending Masters champion and they're going after Tiger's drug doctors. Yeah, Federal prosecutors in Florida say they're planning subpoenas for the pharmacy located by Tiger Woods where he gets his medications. Prosecutors want the times of the prescriptions when they were filled, the number of pills, the dosage amount and any instructions that accompany the pills, such as warnings about drivings while taking them, according to documents filed online in a court, So they're trying to line up the fact that, yes, he wasn't drunk on alcohol, but we got him on pills. Was that ever going to be a question? No, how about some hockey p Thanks for talking Puck. I didn't.
Speaker 3: It's the final week of the season.
Speaker 2: A huge game tonight the Pond between the Ducks and the San Jose Shark, so big. I couldn't get tickets for Sadie. She wanted to go watch the shark. Oh wow because of that guy. Yeah, the two guys, Will Smith and the other man crushed Sadie. The Ducks have lost six in a row and are in danger of not making the playoffs. Now they need their old flying v They're holding on to the seven seed, but barely with four games to play.
Speaker 3: So thanks for talking pay.
Speaker 2: You shouldn't have gone out with the Icelandic trainer. Gordon Bombay saw you eating ice cream with the Icelandic trainer. That changed everything. Change our attitude about you as a coach, Bombay, gem yours.
Speaker 3: I start down that's where you're going.
Speaker 2: See you in the ice Bombay. Good luck tonight, Ducks. We'll be right back with more great sports SoC on M five seventy LA Sports, NBA Hoops Talk with James Worthy, forthcoming.
Speaker 1: Petros Papadakis, that Money Smith, This is Petro Send Money on.
Speaker 2: Demand Show I seventy LA Sports on a Crunchy Groove at a Thursday. No Dodgers today, Dodge You talk tonight though. Dodger's back at it tomorrow against the Texas Rangers on Otwani Bobblehead Night, the first to two to celebrate his great game in the NLCS first pitch at seven ten Clippers in action Tomorrow night against the Portland Trailblazers seven o'clock tip off on AM eleven to fifty. But every week he joins the Petrols of Money Show James Worthy. Brought to you by the Ford Maverick Motor Trend and North American Truck of the Year. The Ford Maverick everything you need in the most innovative truck with forty two miles per gallon at the best MSRP of its category. It's time to see Ford in a new light. Go to your Southern California, Ford Dealers Today. Here he is James Worthy, the best of the best in good times and bad, and good can become bad and vice versa quite quickly in the modern Nbah, He's a Hall of famer and he knows all about it. Multiple championships, a great attitude, and a perfect gentleman. Emmy Award winner on Spectrum Sports that it's James Worthy on the Petro sand Money Show. What's cracking, James? How are you?
Speaker 5: Hello? Hello?
Speaker 1: Hello?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 5: Hey, you're right. Things change, boy, Things looking good for a little while and then boom injuries. But hey, still gotta play, gotta play.
Speaker 2: It's got to be tough because things for for weeks were really headed in the right direction. And I guess it didn't. I don't know, Maybe I'm wrong. It didn't feel like their success was as fragile as it ended up being. Am I Am I wrong to say that?
Speaker 5: No? I think I think you're right. I mean, you know, they started to to prove that they could beat some you know, some some decent teams, you know, beating Denver and do what they did with the Knicks, and you know, going on the road and have in that record. But there's a big difference, you know, beating five hundred teams and then you know, going up against the defending champion. So that that first game against them, the one that both Luca and Austin Reeves were injured in, they ran up against the champions, and you know, the Lakers had did a good job to get up to third, but yeah, the injuries just you know, dissolved any momentum they.
Speaker 3: Had with three games to go.
Speaker 2: James, what is JJ Reddick's message to the guys that aren't hurt, ended or out there and Lebron who is supposed to play tonight against Golden State, Because you got Bill Plashki right in the LA time saying shut everybody down, Let's look ahead to next year, forget about it. What are postseason run they go on in the playing tournament? What is JJ Redis message to the team the final three games before the playing tournament?
Speaker 5: Well, you know, if anything, I think they might be trying to hang on to you know, hang on a force spot. You know, see if they can win these last couple of games and you know, if they can keep home court advantage. He's got to keep a positive attitude with the team, you know, guys like Jacobradia ay and gets a chance to prove, you know, himself, and you know Lebron coming back. You know, you just got to hope that these guys can beat the Warriors and the Phoenix and then trying to have some you know, some safe faith. Uh. They're not gonna get you know, Austin or or or or Luca back anytime soon, but they gotta, they gotta, they gotta try to win with what they have.
Speaker 2: James Worthy, we always win with what we have because we have James Worthy, and the wins or losses don't affect us. We have to talk about it either way, as does James Worthy joining us right now on the Petros and Money Show. We appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 2: Last week when you were on, I think my radio partner Matt Smith was saying, well, what's going on now, James here, they got to keep Lebron for another year, like this is gonna this is gonna change everything and all that, and you said, well, let's wait to see what happens, and uh and and and something did happen very shortly after that. How much does that affect do you think the way this season is ending? How much do you think that affects not that we know exactly how it's gonna end, but how much do you think that affects the future?
Speaker 5: Well, you know, it's hard to say, because I think Lebron was really thinking that, hey, this team had come a long way and and it you know, you could just get in the in the playoffs and you know, maybe upset somebody. That's I think that's what he was thinking. But I think now, you know, I don't know, he's he's he's playing pretty good. He seems to be happy with what's going on with the team right now. As far as the future is concern man, I think he's just gonna have to wait and figure out, you know, what's what's what's the nice cost. There's so much going on right now. We all know whether how long this season is going to last, and so I think he's right now just deliberating and just kind of waiting to see what happens.
Speaker 2: With that being said, James, I'm gonna stay positive with Lebron. Three games to go and then the postseason. We'll see what happens in the postseason tournament. But at forty one and the fact that he hasn't had been used a lot, and the minutes havn't been just crazy the last month. There could be a lot left in the tank here for Lebron James at this point of the season, more so than any other year because of the minutes and the game restrictions. This could be Lebron having a big moment here. Could you see him carrying this team for the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 5: Well, he's going to have to. He didn't have any choice, and you know the plan was with Luca and Austin. He had really settled into like playing off ball, you know, going in the post, like abusing people, really getting physical. He's finding a whole new game where he could be just as impactful get triple doubles.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 5: I think maybe handling the ball a little bit more is going to put a little bit more wear and tear on him, and he's going to have to make a lot of decisions with the ball in his hands. I hope that the Lakers can find somebody maybe I don't know if Marcus Swart's available, who can at least take some of the pressure off him from handling the ball. But as far as having fuel in the tank, yeah, he's got something in there. You know, it's got diving on balls at forty one years old, and I can't believe the elevation that he's getting. I remember being thirty three and not able to get that kind of elevation on any dump. I was almost done and he's still. But you know, you look at how he's kept himself in shape and his formula for longevity. It's working.
Speaker 2: Tuesday night, a little back and forth verbally between JJ Reddick and Jared Vanderbilt. Is that maybe just frustration of everything that's happened and the way the JJC and his team kind of fall apart here because of injuries here in the final weeks.
Speaker 5: I think it's just frustration, you know. I think it happens. I think and you see that a lot of times. You know, it's like, oh, what's happening, But in a lot of cases, that's the way they've been communicating. I mean, I think JJ is really honest. He doesn't you know, he doesn't hold back. We've seen it with Luca, We've seen it with Van Dervelt. He's you know, and I think it's just something that players are used to, and I think they probably discuss it the next day or right after the game. I don't really see anything you know that that's wrong with that. That's just the way they communicate.
Speaker 2: James Worthy is our guest. We're happy to have him on when I mean, obviously the Lakers are not in a great position right now, better than some teams. But when you guys were the way you were with showtime, and it was around this time of year kind of headed into the playoffs, what was the mentality Because you know, what you've been playing for all years is right on your right on your doorstep, but you still have to take care of the kind of arbitrary business of finishing the season with you guys and all of your great leadership and coaching. How did you handle it?
Speaker 5: Well, you know, we usually had clinched, you know, we usually have clinched to playoffs, you know, way before you know, April, we probably haven't had it done. But Ralphs did not allow us to take any time off. In fact, this is the time of the year where you know, he kind of wrapped things up and made sure that we didn't you know, take any pauses, you know, to lapse. I think we did it one year in eighty six, nineteen eighty six, we were looking forward to plan the Celtics after we beat them in nineteen eighty five, and we overlooked the Houston Rockets and we you know, we just want focused. I don't think we were, you know, monitoring one another, and we we kind of left that with slide bodies.
Speaker 2: Jaye's gotten this conversation about current NBA and the players people want to see the most right now that if you can get a ticket to the game and you want to go see that player, who would have been and Wimby and the Spurs seem to be, you know, the trendy thought the Oklahoma City Thunder because of how explosive they are collectively and you know how good they are. What would James Worthy buy a ticket for in the NBA right now? Who's who's that guy or that team that you buy a ticket? You know you're not buy a ticket. Who would James Worthy pay to go see in the current NBA.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, I have to say, I'm on the record radio show. I'm gonna have to say the Lakers. But I was at the game the other night and I was sitting on the baseline on the floor, and I was watching Oklahoma and I was watching Halgrim and hernes Stein and Green and McCain. They're ten d They got two starting fives on that team. Yeah, I take money to see how they play. They spread the floor, They know exactly where the next pass is. You could you should see Shaye directing traffic. You know, he makes a pass and he those where the next pass is going. Uh, they're physical. They kind of remind me a little bit of a blend of how the Celtics used to play physical and then they could run with you as well, like the Lakers. McCain outstanding Williams. They they are really deep and uh, they're gonna be deep for a while. I pay to see them because I like the way they play. They know how to, you know, create momentum. They know when they're in trouble, they take a time out, they don't panic and uh so yeah, they're they're throwback championship team.
Speaker 2: In my opinion, I'm assuming that Spectrum sent you guys out there to Crypto the other night before they knew that the whole team was injured and not going to play in that game.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be a big knight. It was gonna be a big knight for us. Ended up being a real tiny knight ended up being a real tiny moment.
Speaker 2: And I was watching I was I was watching for the Desert, and I was watching TV, and you and Geeter were up there doing it looking all good and punk ass. Billy Mack was just walking around in the background on the shot with his hands in his pocket, his stupid tennis shoes on, looking up at the sky.
Speaker 5: We were all excited, but then the burbo, the bubble burst, and it was just another telecast.
Speaker 2: We love you, James, Hey, James real quick. Michael Cooper gets a job at cal State in LA. How excited are you a for that?
Speaker 5: Did you sent swets so excited? I am so excited for Cooper. I won't wear a sweatsuit. I'm a U and SEE guy, but I'll pull for him. He deserves it.
Speaker 2: I mean, you can't wear an eagle sweatsuit. Nobody's gonna know one time, one time for Coop Vision three.
Speaker 5: We love you the Great Jeames Worthy is gonna know.
Speaker 2: There he goes James Worthy. Great stuff from our friend James Worthy, and always great to talk to. James. Even if the chips are down for the Lakers, not down for us, though not down for you. You're gonna have Off Night Dodger Talking seven with Tim k and coming up next your Dead and the Live Guy Birthday of the Day.
Speaker 1: This is Petrone on Demand.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening everybody, and a big thank you to our producer and co hosts today at Tim Kits on Twitter or x and the host of Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck.
Speaker 5: He'll be.
Speaker 2: Coming up next throwing it to himself. Oh, put another head on a different one with Dodger Talk coming up at seven o'clock. Off Night Dodger Talk going down on the farm, Petros update, first of the year, How the Dodger Tom Prospects doing pretty exciting stuff.
Speaker 3: Whost wait to Paul is killing him?
Speaker 2: Where where does Zaire Hope go? Does he just stand Glendale? No, He's in Tulsa, Oklahoma? Him and host Wait the Paula Driller The Drillers. We are your home in the back to back World Series Champion Los Angeles Dodgers Dodgers versus Texas Rangers. Coming up tomorrow. We'll be on from three to six. Matt'll be back. First pitch will be at seven to ten tomorrow. We also have a Clipper game on the schedule. This has been scheduled Talk Clippers versus Portland tip off at seven on eleven fifty schedule time. And don't you forget to podcast the show on the iHeartRadio app for your smartphone. It's always there, or you could stream it live. Wallet's on. And a big thank you to our engineer Ronnie Fossio, who posts the playlist every day on x at Ronnie Fascia.
Speaker 5: Is weekends.
Speaker 2: So with all that said, and looking forward to tomorrow beating out Richard Condon, the guy who wrote the Manchurian Candidate, and beating out Paul Robeson, turn it up Man, Paul Robeson, by the way, the communists who sang old man River, all right, that's too high. Today we celebrate William Henry Johnson. I don't really know how old he would have been today, because no one is really sure what year he was born, but he would be known as forever Zip the Pinhead. Born in Brooklyn, one of six children poor African American family. As he grew up, his body developed normally, but his head remained small. His tapered dome and heavy jaw made him attractive to the circus, to the circus. Yes, he was not mentally incapable. There is some debate about that, but people aren't really sure if he was affected in that way like some small headed people are.
Speaker 3: So his looks made him perfect for the circus.
Speaker 2: His parents agreed to let him perform for money. He was brought out in the cage and displayed as a missing link from Africa. Oh, come, I'm sorry, that's just the truth. And it was very popular.
Speaker 3: We haven't erased this part of history.
Speaker 2: And he would shake the bars and screech even though he could speak. And P. T. Barnum saw this and his popularity and said no more, No, I'm buying this out, my god. But he did change his act a little bit. Oh, he gave him a furry suit. He shaped his hair into a tiny point on top of his head and called him Zip the Pinhead. He started with the circus at eighteen. In his career lasted sixty years. Wow, talk about all the benefits now, God, some deeply sad racial undertones as well, you think. In later years his act became more civilized and he took the stage with others like Jim Tarvar the Texas Giant and Cuckoo.
Speaker 3: The Bird Girl and Mikey the Midget no.
Speaker 2: Jack Earl, the tallest man on Earth. He got tired of travel though, and just started working primarily in Coney Island, and in nineteen twenty five he saved a girl from drowning in the Atlantic. Olly was performing in Coney Island. Zip the Pinhead was performing a stage play called Sonny Sonny Yeah, where he caught bronchitis, mad with the play, got sick and died at Bellevue Hospital in New York City. In his sixty seven years in show business, it is said that Zip the Pinhead performed for over one hundred million people. He was photographed by the famous Civil War photographer Matthew Brady with Prince Albert of Wales who King Edward. And he was the second most popular freak of the nineteenth century.
Speaker 3: The second most.
Speaker 2: Tom Thumb the little Tiny Guy was the most popular. And they were both popular because they did not upset people. They just looked weird, but they didn't upset people like the bearded lady.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's gross, I get you know. So sixty years in the circus.
Speaker 2: Traveling around in the circuit, well not just Ronkitas got him from jump in the river, Zip the pin head. No, no, no, he didn't jump in and it's not from jumping in the river. He got bronchitis when he was performing and died.
Speaker 3: Oh I thought you save somebody's life.
Speaker 2: Well that was a year later he died. I don't know if the rescue in the Atlantic gotcha bronchitis were related. But what life could see? How you could draw those parallels? Zip the pinhead from the freak shows of yesteryear.
Speaker 3: Good stuff, Petross, My alive guy.
Speaker 2: Need your approval? Well, I'm giving it to you, Da, I don't need it. My a live guy. Birthday of the Day, Happy forty ninth birthday to Gerard Way born in New Jersey, grew up with a passion for art and started telling you that the music wool rational art.
Speaker 3: In New York City.
Speaker 2: Initially pursued a career in animation and comic creation. Those guy's a Catholic boy. However, his life took a dramatic turn witness the September eleventh attacks and experience that inspired him to pursue music more seriously and channel his emotions into songwriting instead of the comic books, at.
Speaker 3: Least for a while. In two thousand and one.
Speaker 2: Gerard Way co founded My Chemical Romance, a band that quickly became one of the defining acts of the two thousands EMO, an alternative rock scene known for their theatrical style and emotionally charged of music. They had two iconic albums, Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge and The Black Parade. Gerard Away's distinctive voice, imaginative lyrics, and the commanding stage presence helped the band get a global fan base. They were widely popular, not just on K rock. In My Chemical Romance broke up. At that point, Gerard Way launched a solo career. He changed his style had more of a Brett Pop inspired sound. At that point, he picked up comic book writing again. He never really stopped. In two thousand and one, he created a cartoon called The Breakfast Monkey. They pitched to Cartoon Network, but the network said, we like it, but it's too similar to Aquitine Hunger Force O. He later created True Lives of Fabulous kill Joys and then a very popular comic book that they turned into a Netflix series, The Umbrella Academy. Oh Yeah, that is the thing.
Speaker 3: Critically acclaimed.
Speaker 2: He got kind of fat, didn't and his voice draws.
Speaker 3: His hired voice went higher.
Speaker 2: What he got fatter?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's really weird.
Speaker 2: Here's voice like twenty years ago, it's really deep now. In twenty fourteen, he made his debut at the Marvel Universe comic by writing a Spider Man series called Edge of Spider Verse. His story introduced Penny Parker, a Japanese American student who pilots a biomechanical suit. Yeah, there's way too many Spider Man's now. In twenty twenty four he liked Spider Ham Peter Porker, But to me, that's as far as that you go. When he's twenty four, he introduced a new comic book series called Paranoid Gardens about a person named Lou oh Loo, a nurse at a bizarre, self aware care center for supernatural beings like aliens and ghosts. He reunited with my Chemical Romance in twenty nineteen. They've been on tour the last two years. He's married with the daughter, and they live right here in southern California.
Speaker 3: So where just as Los Angeles, I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: So if you're driving around listening right now, Gerard Way, maybe you're a Dodger fan.
Speaker 3: Maybe you're a PMS fan. You're certainly a fan of his comics, right.
Speaker 2: Some of what I shouldn't have said that he got fat? I know. I don't worry. I've got him. B Gerard gets back. It's buddy. Happy forty ninth birthday to Gerard Way, my chemical romance and comic book writer. Are you a bit of a my Chemical Romance type? Nope, feels like you are just the you know, my black because of the Kings, That's how I first heard it. Yeah, and could you stop this terrible instrumental music. I'd like the series on Netflix, by the way, the Umbrella Academy.
Speaker 3: It's it's a clever series.
Speaker 2: I don't know how true it is to the comic books, you know, they sometimes change things. It sounds totally stupid. It sounds like a knockoff of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.
Speaker 3: Well, that's probably what it is.
Speaker 2: Much like the Monkey Thing was a knockoff of Aquatine Hunger for It. That's right, get it, get your own ideas.
Speaker 5: Way.
Speaker 3: Is anybody original anymore? No?
Speaker 2: No, I'd like to think I have. I'd like to think that I am coming up next a very original Dodger off my Dodger Talk with Tim k. Stay tuned and we'll be back out to borrow three the pic Chosen my show, We'll tell me to back on more