Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talker. It's the Dodgers and Brewers getting said for first pitch, and it's on a national stage. Joe Davis will be joined by aj Prazinski and Adam Wainwright, who spent his entire career with the Saint Louis Cardinals. Thanks a lot for the time, appreciated Adam.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks for having me on.
Speaker 3: All right, let's lead it off right here.
Speaker 1: I tap into Freddie Freeman as my baseball compass, so I said, hey, I'm talking to Adam Wainwright today.
Speaker 3: What's the first thing that comes to mind?
Speaker 1: And he said, it's not anything baseball related, it's all the work that.
Speaker 3: You've done off the field. Oh. I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's we've we've uh, you know, we've been given cool platforms and uh, it's just just it would be a shame to not use it for good, you know. And so we've been able to have a lot of great opportunities to help a lot of people in the eat and that's uh, I'm glad you recognize that.
Speaker 3: That's cool.
Speaker 1: That's the one thing that he said, everything that you've done off the field seems to be your legacy just as much as anything you did on the mound.
Speaker 3: Well, that's the legacy that.
Speaker 2: I would prefer to have almost you know, it's the opportunity to go out and make a difference in the world. We just don't have very long to do that, you know, this very finite world. Do we live in a very finite, very finite profession, especially where we only get three or four years to actually do something that matters maybe and for most of the people, and then you know, we.
Speaker 3: Might get ten or twelve. I was lucky to have more.
Speaker 2: And so we have to use our time wisely and to the most of to the best of our ability to get cool things done for.
Speaker 1: People to need some of the fun stuff that you've done to generate money for people overseas. And you know, less fortunate is the fantasy football charity event that you had when you played, And Freddie said that is that still going?
Speaker 2: Yeah, still doing, still still chugging along. Well, it's a lot harder when you get outside the game to generate the same kind of interest. You know, even if you have great career doesn't really matter. I mean, you got to be there and be you know, with the people a lot, and and we're still we're still chugging a long though. We're still doing a lot of great things. I think big league impact through fantasy football events, karaoke events, top golf, sporting plays. You know, we've raised thirteen million dollars so for people in need food, feeding people and giving them clean water and basic essential needs. And that's all really rewarding at the end of the day.
Speaker 1: Adam Wainwright is our guest before first pitch between the Dodgers and Brewers. Clayton Kershaw is dealing with some of the stuff that I'm sure you dealt with after you retired. You went through so much to continue to pitch into your forties. He found a way to come back from a couple of different injuries to continue to go out his own way. How important do you believe it was for him, like you, to go out on your own terms.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, so, I mean, just you still want to have regrets, you know, you don't want to look back and and say I wish I would have played one more year. You know, you give it everything you have and and players I remember, uh, Jeff Soupond told me one time play as long as you can, you know, because you can't come back into this game ten years after you get done and go back in and play in Major League Baseball.
Speaker 3: Just not how it works.
Speaker 2: So our bodies are are are a lot of a certain amount of time, you know, and you got to you got to grind through some injuries, and you gotta play through hurt, and you got to learn how to get the job done sometimes when you feel like crap, And that's just part of it. That's part of being a pro. And I always love that part of it. You know, Like if I could, if I could get my team to believe that no matter what, I was gonna go out there and fight, no matter how I felt, they knew I was gonna compete my butt off.
Speaker 3: You know, that was a win for me right there. How much mutual respect do you and Clinton have for each other?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know about from his side. I have lots of respect for him. From my side, I think we're you know, he's a he's a good friend of mine, and uh, he was one of the guys I told him this.
Speaker 3: He hated.
Speaker 2: He always hated went out because I'm a hugger and I'm a words of affirmation guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he's he's not so much.
Speaker 2: And so he would be like, gosh, I hate when you do this, but you know, I always love to tell him, like, listen, man, you're one of the guys that pushes me to be better.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: They're one of the guys that when I go into the gym, I know I got to.
Speaker 3: Get that third fourth set when I don't want to.
Speaker 2: You know, you're one of the guys that I get up early to do this stuff for and and and put those extra sweat you know, beads on your forehead because I know guys like him were doing it, you know, And so I always was chasing him. I wanted to be the cy young guy every year. He just never would let me because he kept having a one ady r a you know. And and uh, and I see guys when the cy young now, I'm like, man's because they don't have Clayton Kershaw and his prime to go up against. You know, Max Schurz are in his prime, royality and his prime like a bunch of my years.
Speaker 3: I'm like that could have won, you know.
Speaker 2: And today, but uh, it was always so fun competing against Clayton. He's just as as great a competitor as there's ever been in our game. He he made me go to bed early and wake up earlier, you know, just to try to compete with him. So I'll always be appreciative of him that.
Speaker 1: You both were for Uncle Charlie. Did you ever look at the curveballs and the similarities. I know you're a right hander, he was a left hander. But was there any parallels.
Speaker 2: Well, I think we used uh, we used them similarly. I mean his uh, his curveball was such a contrast to his fastball though. You know, he's he's coming hard in the fastball, hard end with that nasty slider, and and that was probably like ninety percent of the time you were going to see fastball slider.
Speaker 3: And then all of a.
Speaker 2: Sudden, you know, he'd pop that that straight over the top like he's throwing a washer into a five gallon bucket curveball, and you just can't even it looked so different out of his hand. You can't look for that because you had to be ready for ninety four ninety five in heavy and so it just was such a surprise. Everybody was always out front of it. Mine, you know, they kind of knew it was coming. Eventually you faced me, You're gonna see a curveball most likely, and uh and I never had Colayton's great fastball really, so we used them. We used them similarly to get them off our fast you know.
Speaker 3: He he.
Speaker 2: He did it as more of like a like a there's no way you can look for this. I did it as a I need to get you out with my heater, so I want you to try to hit this curveball. And if you try to hit this curveball, most likely you're gonna get out. So that so then, you know, it kind of played in my favor that way. But as I got older and I lost my heater, U, the curveball wasn't that much of a contrast anymore.
Speaker 3: It became very hard. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I know Clayton Halls used to talk about change up envy, but he never wanted to compromise just his other pitches by throwing that pitch. Did you ever have anything any change up envy or any other pitch envy?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I always.
Speaker 2: I always wanted a great change up and I had an absolute banger of a change up every spring training that I got.
Speaker 3: Lots of outs with. I got lots of outs.
Speaker 2: In spring with my change up every year, and it was always with a new grip and a new swagger.
Speaker 3: I always I called it my devastator.
Speaker 2: And ever go into every year like really confident to throw my Devastator. And I'd come out of the first game of the season and I would have thrown one or two, you know, and it's like, dang it. I thought I was gonna throw twelve or fifteen of them, you know, And so I did a little bit. But the same thing he said, you know, I knew that I could get you out with my sinker and my curveball and my cutter. He knew he could get you out with his four seamer and his slider and his curveball. And you know, what you don't ever want to do is give up extra base hits or put yourself in a bad count throwing your fourth best pitch if you don't have confidence in it.
Speaker 3: Hey, before I let you go.
Speaker 1: One thing that Clayton always talked about, especially towards the end of his career, is just go out there and compete with what you have.
Speaker 3: That's something you did as well.
Speaker 1: Is there anybody or any few guys in the game that stand out to you now that have that same type.
Speaker 3: Of compete that you and Clayton had.
Speaker 2: Well, my favorite guy to watch is Zach Wheeler. You know, I just love I love watching him pitch. And he's an actual pitcher, you know, he goes out there and competes. I mean guys like Trek Scooble. They're so great because he has he has the mindset to go along with the stuff. There's tons of guys of our in our game that have stuff. There's tons of guys that throw upwards one hundred miles an hour now, uh, but they don't have that dog inside of them, you know. And and Zach Wheeler and uh and Terrek they're they're they're my probably my two favorite guys because they're.
Speaker 3: Just out there.
Speaker 2: They're putting their cajonas on the line every pitch. You know, they're they're they're out there just fighting like dogs.
Speaker 3: And I love that. You know, as a pitcher, if you're.
Speaker 2: Not competing your tail off of your team, I don't really know what you're doing out there.
Speaker 3: I love it. Adam Wayne right is our guest.
Speaker 1: So much reaction from guys that you overlap with, guys that you never faced. How much does that make you feel, like, hey, some of these guys remember old wayno here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's always good to come back and see face, as you know, and and and and I've started to get to the age where where guys are like I loved watching you growing up, you know, and that kind of stuff, and that that makes me feel special because I know I had those guys too. And when I played golf with Lavin and Maddox the other day, and you know, I had them sign my scorecard at the end, and they were kind of like, what the heck? And I was like, Bro, I'm still a huge fan, you know, Like you know, I've patted my game after y'all, so like, I don't think you should ever lose that fandom of baseball.
Speaker 3: Adam, thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 1: I'm a little kid right now because watching you do your thing so impressive and so much respect. Even though you wore that cardinal red and beat the Dodgers in thirteen and fourteen, we all remember those days. But what you stand for off the field from your peers and what they shared with me obviously speaks for itself.
Speaker 3: So thank you so much for your time. Thank you very much for saying that