Speaker 1: From We are live at the Beachmont Wings and Rings five oh nine Ohio Pike, and you are listening to the tri State Chevy Dealers postgame sports talk presented by Rnel Carriers. This is Chick Ludwig and I'm alongside Bengals legendary offensive lineman Bruce Kozerski, and we're breaking down the bengals thirty nine to thirty eight loss to the New York Jets at pay Course Stadium like a wrecking ball. Mike Mills is are awesome on site. Engineer Liam Tomlinson is producing back in our Kenwood studios wings burgers, sandwiches, salads, appetizers, drink specials.
Speaker 2: Wings and Rings has it all.
Speaker 1: The number to dial if you can't be here in person. The number to dial is five to one to three, seven nine, seven thousand or one eight hundred the Big One and Bruce. I've been following the Bengals since their inception in nineteen sixty eight. In this game today ranks near the top of one of the most disappointing, upsetting, embarrassing losses in memory because it came against a terrible seven New York Jets team and on of all days.
Speaker 2: The Ring of Honor Game, The Ring of Honor honoring.
Speaker 1: Dave Lapham and leap and Lamar Parrish, and the Bengals led this game throughout ten to nothing, seventeen to three, twenty four to ten, thirty one to sixteen, thirty eight to twenty four, and they lose thirty nine to thirty eight. How in the world do you explain this?
Speaker 3: Ah in seven, they're all in seven, there are at home fourteen point lead with ten minutes ago. My wife and I had a gout to get to the show on time. So by the time we got to the lower concourse, they were down by eight or down by six. And then we get to the car and they scored. The Jets scored the league that the touch ONWN and go ahead. It's frightening, it's frightening. You just can't have enough points.
Speaker 1: This defense is absolutely terrible, terrible.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: You score thirty eight points and you lose this football game. Now, as bad as the defense is. Near the end of this game, in the fourth quarter, after the Bengals final touchdown, they three and out and then they melt down on their final drive.
Speaker 3: I know for three weeks we were talking about how bad. This Bengals offense is right. Joe Fokker comes in here and now they're going up and down the field scoring points. You can't say at the end of the game that one series where they went three and now, now that was a critical three and out, but all game on a great job. It's it was the first quarter our defense was playing lights out. The second quter that just made some adjustments and all of a sudden, you can't stop the pass. And then we make some adjustments and all of a sudden, you can't stop the run. Now you got defenders on all parts of the defense. You gotta be able to stop both of them. Occasionally, nothing, nothing was pathetic.
Speaker 1: The New York Jets were zero and seven, but they had five losses within a touchdown, within a score. Two points against Pittsburgh, two point loss to Tampa Bay, six point lost to Miami, two point loss to Denver, a seven point loss to the Carolina Panthers. And today they come into pay Course Stadium and somehow, some way win this game thirty nine to thirty eight.
Speaker 3: Their offense hadn't been producing, the defense was playing very well all year long. Yes, today they're played terribly. We had the Bengals had one hundred and ninety yards rushing. When's the last time that happened? Right, we had a very balanced offense passing and throwing. But now now their offense plays lights out because it's against our defense. So what is the problem is that our offense is our defense. They're not playing complimentary ball. That ball they haven't done it all year long.
Speaker 1: The Jets roll up five hundred and two total offensive yards against the Bengals, three ninety eight, two forty eight passing, and the Bengals defense gets lit up, trampled for two hundred and fifty four rushing yards by the New York Jets.
Speaker 2: It is just unbelievable.
Speaker 1: There on that touchdown run, you're the goal line for the Jets. I'm watching it and there's four guys for the Bengals lined up on the right side, and the running back just runs to the left side, untouched into the end zone.
Speaker 2: Why can't the linebackers.
Speaker 1: Fill the gaps and tackle somebody. The tackling is the poorest in the National Football League on the part of the Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 4: I'm sitting up in the where I was watching.
Speaker 3: I had pretty good seats and and uh they they had an extra offensive lineman on the field and two tight ends, and many of the times they lined those all those extra guys off to the same side, and our defensive line never shifted over. No, no, never shifted over. I'm thinking that would be the worst. That would be the first thing they would do against the offense line that I played on. You know, as good as we had Anthony moves over there, if we got an extra line with the Joe Walter and two tight ends outside, they're gonna overshift it that direction. We would expect them to nothing.
Speaker 4: There we are. It's a credible loss.
Speaker 1: Yes, unexpected five seven nine, seven thousand, one, eight hundred, the big one. Bad football makes for great radio. We'll say that. Uh, this is the place to vent. Okay, thirty nine to thirty eight. I mean, an unbelievably beautiful day. You're honoring Dave Lapham and my good friend leap and Lamar Parrish, the most electrifying player who has ever worn a Cincinnati Bengals jersey, leaping Lamar. No one has has accomplished what that guy has accomplished. Every time he touched the ball, he was thinking to the house, just an amazing, amazing player. To have them both here and you're playing against the Jets and you lose on Ring of Honor Day.
Speaker 2: It is just embarrassing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's uh as as a former player sitting up there with all those alumni had been that had come back for this game, it was it was frustrated every one of us, but you had a feeling at some point that it was going to happen, because no matter how many times we scored, they came right back down score to catch up. In the day we scored, then they got the two for at halftime because they got the field goal right before halftime, and then they got the touchdown after half.
Speaker 4: Times like, oh here we go.
Speaker 1: And I was secretly hoping that Chase Brown would go down at the one instead of pushing his way into the end zone kills some time there to not let them get the ball back. So but Brown scored the touchdown. They did get down there and kick a field goal.
Speaker 2: At the end of the half.
Speaker 1: So but the second half and that last quarter, uh yeah, the Jets and Justin Fields.
Speaker 3: I think I don't think Chase Brown thought about for a second not scorer right there, because as often as often as he's run the ball, how hard has it been to get one yard? There are games when he couldn't get a yard up the.
Speaker 1: Field, Yes, and two two point conversions on the part of the Jets, And once they got within six, with plenty of time to go, uh seven fifty two to go, you could just see what was coming.
Speaker 3: There was that that's traditionally what happens here instead of being able to come down ice it. Now we have occasionally, but that's that's not been the staple. What the staple has been is that when we have that kind of lead, we give up the points and they come back and win too many, too many times too often. And it's sad because you know, the organization has done everything they can put and putting good players on the roster, and at this some point they're just not performing. I saw was coaches in certain spots, players in certain spots being weak, not playing well. But you know, here we are again looking at a situation we should have been, should have been five hundred going and another game with the Bears and a bye week and things looking good, and now we're second guesting ourselves again.
Speaker 1: Everybody except the New York Chats had the Bengals easily winning this football game. Kay, Garrett Wilson didn't play their best wide receiver, and yeah, so many players down.
Speaker 2: For the Jets.
Speaker 4: But yeh, that's why they play the game.
Speaker 1: It's the NFL any given Sunday, and this was the Sunday for the New York Jets.
Speaker 3: And I go back a week and say, who would have expected the Bengals to beat the Steelers?
Speaker 2: Correct?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: So what it turned around in eleven days, the highest high on a Thursday night, beating the Pittsburgh Steelers and playing great, and then the lowest of the low today losing to the Jets. And the Bengals let them hang around and hang around, and they get clipped at the end. It was a It turned into a track meet, and the Jets crossed the finish line first.
Speaker 3: It reminds me of a team that's that's closed. They have all the pieces and sometimes the gears click and sometimes they just fall flat. And then that seems to be what we're getting here, is when the when the machine's going smoothly, all the gears are clicking, and they score a lot of points.
Speaker 4: Defense plays well.
Speaker 3: Had not seen a complete game where all three phases of the game, Aymoor are on the same page. Uh. Even today we had one kickoff late in the game. We had that it was that one. We had the fourteen lead in the fourth quarter, we kicked the ball into the end zone instead of making them return, so they get the ball in thirty five instead of the twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: He's Bruce Kazerski. This is Chick Ludwig.
Speaker 1: We're here at the Beachmont Wings and Rings until eight thirty and you're invited and if you can't be here in person, feel free to join us by calling five one, three, seven, four, nine, seven thousand or one eight hundred the big one.
Speaker 2: Oh. I want to say, who Day.
Speaker 1: I wanted this to be a victory on Ring of Honor Day, but it's a big time downer. Nevertheless, it's awesome to be here at Wings and Rings on beat at Beachmont on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: We're back at.
Speaker 1: The Beachmont Wings and Rings five O nine Ohio Pike Chick Ludwig alongside Bruce Kazerski. If you're listening to the Tri State Chevy Dealers postgame sports Talk presented by RNL Carriers, Bengals fall to the New York Jets thirty nine to thirty eight. We're breaking it down like a wrecking ball, and we're taking your calls. And first up here is Kyle in Fairfield. Kyle, are you there.
Speaker 5: I'm here, man, Just try to find me off the ledge.
Speaker 2: All right, Yes, I'm there. I went overboard.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 7: I have so many things to say. I'm trying to keep it short.
Speaker 2: All right, Please do thank you.
Speaker 5: I had a lot of faith in my defense.
Speaker 7: I had a lot of faith in our defense.
Speaker 5: Last week, coming off that Thursday.
Speaker 7: We got the stops when we needed to, Okay.
Speaker 5: And then today comes and we.
Speaker 8: Just can't stop Junior varsity middle school team.
Speaker 7: I just don't get it.
Speaker 5: The Jets had so many guys out. They were playing.
Speaker 8: Their second third train guys, and I don't get it, Like there's just nothing that that can be done until our whole coaching staff is gone. I've lost faith. Please talk me out of it. I'm pretty much giving up on the season. I would I would think that if we got to win today it would have been all right. But with the results today, I'm done. Please talk me out of it.
Speaker 2: Okay, Kyle, appreciate the call. Thanks so much. Uh.
Speaker 1: We talked, Bruce when you came in that they just the coverage got soft in the zone and and then Justin Fields picked him apart.
Speaker 2: And the tackling was awful.
Speaker 3: It seemed to be in the first quarter everything that the Bengals did on defense was working. They were getting tackles for losses, they were breaking up passes. I mean, the owner of the Jets was criticizing their starting quarterback last week, yes, and and blaming everything on him, so he put extra pressure on this guy. So the guy's gonna play great. He didn't play great. He just played okay because there was so much room and so many places for him to throw the ball with receivers that weren't the starting receivers. It's you know, we had we had, we had a nice two score lead early. We got safe. You got safe, you give up a score. So then we come back and we get a score. So you play safe again, you give a score. And it was a back and forth, and then it was only a matter of time before our offense eventually had a miss. Yes, you know, and and it seemed like when that happened, they just I don't understand that that game is a.
Speaker 4: You know, it's a sixty minute game.
Speaker 3: Unless you play your your your back, your butt off for four quarters, that you can't win in this league.
Speaker 4: You got to you can't play safe.
Speaker 2: Ever, Pat is in Redding. Pat, Are you there.
Speaker 9: Just a couple of points about the defense, then I have a specific question about the offense. Only our defense could make the Jets look good. I mean, they scored six points against the Panthers and thirty nine against US.
Speaker 10: Unbelievable.
Speaker 9: I can't imagine that there's any team in the NFL that has the worst defense. I think that lou and Arumo. Isn't he with the Colts now?
Speaker 11: I mean he was apparently the sacrificial lamb last year. It's not the coach, it's the players. And then finally my question about the offense. I don't know if either one of you saw this, but they re showed the third down play at the end of the game and they said that Flacco had no one to throw to. They showed it from the from the from Flacco's viewpoint, and it looked to me like Jamar was open.
Speaker 9: Am I crazy? I mean, would Joe Burrow not have tried to throw it to him? That's the one where he just threw it way out about do you know what I'm talking about?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, I believe in my heart of hearts that the Joe Flockele thought Joe Burrow thought Chase was open, he had thrown the ball. I think he throws in the ball when he's not open sometimes because he trusts He trusts him that much. But there are things that you just can't see. Sometimes you're you're you. You gotta play called and your your route choice takes you one, two, three, and and Chase might have been the third route on that and then he got flushed from the pocket, didn't have then he had his eyes got changed, and now he doesn't see Jamar getting open. So everything, anything can happen. Uh, quarterbacks got so much going on in the backfield. He's got to feel the pass rush, not look at the pass rush, because he if.
Speaker 4: He looks at the pass rush, he can't see downfield.
Speaker 3: He's got to to go through his route progression in a in a prescribed order. He can't make it up as he goes. And uh, you know, based on what they're showing, Chase was getting double covers late in the game. Maybe he shouldn't have been open. Maybe that's why he never got there.
Speaker 9: Okay, and oh, one thing I forgot Henderson obviously.
Speaker 10: Didn't look like him fell.
Speaker 9: Is there anybody that thinks like me that it wouldn't be surprising if he doesn't play another down this year.
Speaker 4: No, he's hurt.
Speaker 3: He's hurting, and he got hurt on the play in in the Pittsburgh game. I saw that one where he got hit by he got chipped on by a running back, and then he got hit again today, uh and stopped, and I think it might have reaggravated it.
Speaker 4: Fortunately, Fortunately, I hope it's fortunate they got the barriers in.
Speaker 3: Then the bye week that might give him the two or three weeks he needs to get that hit back in shape, because today was an experiment. They played him to see if it would hold up, and obviously.
Speaker 2: It didn't, not making any not making any.
Speaker 4: But same defense that played without him last week.
Speaker 1: He got pushed on a on a uh, he got pushed and it was blatant right in front of the referee and no flat was called. And on that play he reacted cravated his hip.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, yeah, we noticed that.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, Pad appreciate it.
Speaker 1: The critical series once Breese Hall went right around right end for twenty seven yards and then the two point conversion, okay, to pull the Jets within thirty eight to thirty two. The Bengals go three and out, and that that really hurt, because the Jets took over was six point fifty to go. Put together another the scoring drive and the Breese Hall and when you're zero and seven, you're gonna pull out all the stops. A half back pass to a tight end Mason Taylor from Breese Hall, and.
Speaker 3: I would I would have expected that to happen earlier in the game, no doubt, kept it in their pocket till it early mattered.
Speaker 4: That's exactly I was thinking about that multiple time. It's not the game.
Speaker 3: You know, in certain situations, this is a long thirty young long yard situation, you get some kind of a reverse toss pass or or some ik gimmicky play where you get a receiver wide open because you're pursuing a different play. But then then happened till that point.
Speaker 2: Devon is in Ashland. Are you there?
Speaker 4: Devon?
Speaker 7: Yes, I am.
Speaker 2: How are you guys hanging in?
Speaker 12: Well, we've all taken blood pressure medicine to that terrible collapse by a defensive team. Mike Brown or the GM should have stopped sack Taylor and the defensive coordinator before going into the locker room and said, you are a relief of your duties. Don't come back here anymore. It was terrible.
Speaker 1: Devin appreciate that. Uh yeah, the frustration by fans, I can oh, you can hear it. You could hear it in the caller's voices, Thank you very much. It has to be working its way through.
Speaker 3: The organization have to chain and as I said earlier, you know, Zach's gonna put some points on the board, but the control of the organization and all the other stuff that goes along with it. They haven't played three phases really in a long time.
Speaker 4: And and you know, you make choices as a head coach and you got to live with them. I don't know.
Speaker 1: There were so many great drive starts by the Jets and the Bengals drive starts not very good.
Speaker 4: Well, but they moved the ball up and down the field.
Speaker 3: They really did it, with the exception of the one or two times, uh in my opinion that we did punt the ball. We got we got some really nice efforts down get him in a rather ten yard line, twelve yard line? Uh, give him some long fields to work with. Uh, but you can't stop somebody. How is it that you're so up and down from week to week? You know when, like for three weeks the city was crying about the interceptions and the ineptitude, the inability to run the ball on offense and all the chaos going on. And so the defense were they playing well or were it was the offense playing bad? Now that you really didn't notice the defense, And now the defense has an opportunity to stop somebody and they can't, And it's frustrated. As a fan, I get it a bit on all sides of this.
Speaker 4: Believe me.
Speaker 3: I played for a long time and seen a lot of bad football, and I just hope that at some point this group gets it together, because if not, then by the time Joe Burrow is ready to come back, it won't much matter. And right now, it's not the quarterbacking that's going on, as Cousin's problem, the team to lose games.
Speaker 2: Hey, we're going out to Boston with John. Are you there? John?
Speaker 6: Yes, sir chick?
Speaker 2: How you doing? Bruce?
Speaker 13: Nice and talk to you, fellow. Yes, sir John, Yes, sir Chick, you have a Hall of Fame voice for radio. Let me tell you that much. You are fantastic. Who's your knowledge is perfect? So I'm so glad to get a chance to speak to you guys.
Speaker 14: Not to blame the offense when you score thirty eight points, but who's is an offensive lineman?
Speaker 5: Do you think they abandoned the run a little bit?
Speaker 14: They only had twenty three rushers today, and they had a two score lead for most of that game. It seemed like they weren't off winning the football, but they suffed themselves occasionally in a couple of key situations.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure how many total plays they had. Twenty two rushers might have been about almost half half the plays.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, in the total plays, seventy to fifty eight, Yeah, seventy to fifty eight on the.
Speaker 2: Part of the chest.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you can also have to add some of those some of those little little quick passes to Jamar are considered runs. He catch the ball at the last screwage and scories for five or six yards. That's almost considered a run anymore in the NFL. So it really it's really confusing. When you look at just the run past stats, it's a complete pass and against six yards on that's that's a run because you're you're throwing it. You get two blockers to beat three defenders, and you're gonna get six yards.
Speaker 4: That's a that's a win.
Speaker 2: It is, John a great point.
Speaker 10: Great point.
Speaker 14: One more thing about the defense. I think a lot of the problems with the defense. Jerry Montgomery, the defensive line coach, is a disaster with.
Speaker 5: The Patriots last year. They're giving up two fewer yards per play this year.
Speaker 14: Than they did last year when he's the D line coach. He was also the D line coach at the Green Bay Packers in twenty nineteen when they will gassed at ten yards to carry in the NFC Championship game. I'm just as you guys said, the defensive line looked drunk out there, like they wouldn't even recognize what was taking place at John.
Speaker 1: With that, we've reached the top of the hour break. Really appreciate the call. He's Bruce Caserski. This is Chick Ludwig. You're listening to the Tri State Chevy Dealers post game sports Talk presented by Rnel Carriers live from the Beachmont Wings and Rings five o nine Ohio Pike on seven hundred WLW and Cincinnati ESPN fifteen thirty.
Speaker 15: This is the Tri Stage Chevy Dealers Postgame Sports Talk live from Buffalo Wings and Rings, presented by R and L Carriers. Postgame Sports Talk is brought to you and part by Pellow Windows and Door making life brighter, Pello Now Pay Later Carrier and your local carrier Dealers turned to the experts Carrier Cincinnati Tax Resolution powered by Tave Sheldon five one three five one three, top h Postman Law Injured call eight four to four Postman Others promise Postman delivers R and L Carriers. Visit RLC dot com and make R and L Carriers your global transportation provider. And by your Tri State Chevy Dealers the number one selling brand in Cincinnati for nine straight years and now post games Sports Talk.
Speaker 1: We are live at the Beachmont Wings and Rings five h nine Ohio Pike and you're listening to the Tri State Chevy Dealer's post game Sports Talk presented by RNL Carriers Chick Ludwig alongside Bengals legend Bruce Kozerski.
Speaker 2: It will break it down the Bengals thirty nine.
Speaker 1: To thirty eight loss to the New York Jets at pay Corp Stadium like a wrecking ball. Mike Mills are on site, Engineer Liam Tomlinson producing back in our Kenwood studios, wings burgers, sandwiches, salads, appetizers, drink specials, wings and rings, has it all. And we're here at the Beachmont location until eight thirty tonight, and you're invited. If you can't be here in person, feel free to join us by calling five P one three, seven, four, nine, seven thousand, one, eight hundred, the Big One and Bruce. The Bengals led this game thirty one to sixteen after three quarters, and then they get outscored twenty three to seven in the fourth quarter.
Speaker 4: I've seen things happen.
Speaker 3: You know, at the end of the game, you know you're back against the wall, you're down by that many points. You open it up to say, we gotta throw caution to the wind. If there's a chance, we got to just throw caution to the wind. An attack, attack, attack. But I've also seen defenses make it a lot more difficult than that. I don't know how many times I guess you can count maybe in under ten in the last decade. How many teams have scored that many points in one quarter when they're down in it?
Speaker 4: When they have, they struggled really all game and.
Speaker 1: The wild swings this year Bruce with the thirty eight point blowout loss at Minnesota forty eight to ten, the most lopsided loss in Bengal's history, and then today easily one of the most disappointing, upsetting, and embarrassing losses that I could think of in memory.
Speaker 3: I know sometimes it's hard to find the right thing, to do, the right solution, but there are times there are very often, all too often with this team, it seems like they don't have a solution. They can't they can't find one, whether it's physically or whether it's schmatically, to stop whatever is hurting them. And today they couldn't stop the run and they couldn't stop the past. After the first quarter again, I thought, the first quarter, I'm yelling, I'm talking to all the Bengals greats that were sitting around me. I thought, you know, who is this team? Who is this defense? And then all of a sudden, second quarter started. It was a different team.
Speaker 1: All we heard about all week was putting the boot on the throat of this team and crushing them early and crushing their spirit early. But they kept fighting back in the Bengals let them hang around, and hang around. The defense got soft and twenty three points in the fourth quarter, and they shocked the Bengals thirty nine to thirty eight.
Speaker 4: It looked like the Jets just got off the bus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know they didn't.
Speaker 3: They didn't get off the bus the first quarter, the second quarter, turn around, and all of a sudden, they're all a sudden.
Speaker 4: There a whole different team.
Speaker 1: They missed a fourth and inches first down, they go for it deepen their own territory. Don't get it. The Bengals capitalize on that score a touchdown, go up ten to nothing. And you heard Dan Hord during the broadcast. He disagreed with several of Aaron Glenn's calls. Now they're on the plus side of the fifty and they kicked the field goal. They're on the by the side of the fifty. They go forward on fourth and one and don't get it. So but the combination of their field goals, their touchdowns, they're two point conversions, and then the Bengals offense breaking down late in this game, and to add it all up and it's uh, the Bengals fall really nine to thirty eight? What a difference one point makes?
Speaker 3: I was on an one seventeen and you can't find the right thing. You You're searching and searching and searching. It seems like everything you do goes wrong. It's always somebody's turned to mess it up. And that's what happened late in that game. We just we couldn't find enough defense to get on the field.
Speaker 2: Do we have Penny in Middletown.
Speaker 16: I got a question on Need's Monday explain, okay, all right, crushing the spirits? Well, come on, I don't understand how many times I've seen Zach Taylor first play the game. We're going for the touchdown, you know, the guys they want to make it the once, and he says, oh, no, let's just kick a field goal. I mean, it's the beginning game, there's no points. Why not go for it or there to go for it? And I don't understand I'm in time again that he all kicked the field goal. That I think not sending the right message to the players.
Speaker 10: Sometimes I wonder if they're shocked that he's calling that.
Speaker 1: But there are other times though where he does go for it on fourth down. But anyway, first and ten at the twelve yard line, and then we got to the eight yard line, we got to the show, go ahead, say kick the field goal. You wind up going up ten to nothing in this game, penny seventeen to three, twenty four to ten, thirty one to sixteen, and thirty eight to.
Speaker 2: Twenty four with ten and a half minutes to go.
Speaker 16: If you lose, well, in my mind, hey, I would have went for the first one, even though little risk, that would have won the game. So I just I questioned, Zach, you know.
Speaker 2: You deserve he deserves up scrutiny, He deserves screw you.
Speaker 3: Guess what goes along with being the head coach. You know you're you're right when it works out good and you're wrong when it doesn't work out.
Speaker 17: For the team.
Speaker 3: You're constantly you're constantly getting second guests on your play selection. Why did he run the ball on that third or that second down at the end of the game when they needed a first down? And uh in a two minute offense type of thing, and they've been running to successfully all day. So you're going to get second guests. As a coach, you it's kind of built into the job description, and so is getting fired. So's at some point that's the nature of the beast. You don't plan on living in a in a neighborhood forever, because when you're in that business, there are no things, is for sure.
Speaker 2: Can he thanks so much for the call. Appreciate it, all right, thank you, thank you. Hey, j We you have Chef boyar D on the line.
Speaker 6: Chef hey Check it's it's shape Boyard.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, Shafe.
Speaker 10: Good to hear from he, but good to talk to you.
Speaker 4: Check.
Speaker 2: Hey.
Speaker 18: First of all, it drops to laugh and Leaf and Lamar. I just want to give a mad preach to both of those guys. But hey, man, I'm a thirty year old season ticket holder. I've had season tickets for five years. I worked really hard for these tickets, man, and they are not cheap.
Speaker 17: Every year it's more expensive.
Speaker 18: It starts at eight hundred dollars a seat, and it goes to nine hundred thousand dollars and this year is twelve hundred dollars a seat. And I just I just want to know, man, like, what incentive is there for me? To renew these season tickets. With the results on the field, I mean, what are Katie Toy and Mark Dylan to make us want to believe in this team after today?
Speaker 1: Even even if they had won on there, How are they going to advance to the playoffs with this defense?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I truly believe that they're trying their very best. But once you put the players on the field, you can't do anything from the front office. You know, as a coach, you call the plays. You can't do anything on the field. Once the place called. All the work has done before the game to play, the game plan, the the the way you're going to tack a team on offense, and the way you're going to attack a team on defense, and the players have to go out and make plays. And and uh my, my only mote of contention with that the defense is after that first quarter when we had the lead and it looked like all of a sudden things got soft. Now, did the Jets make changes?
Speaker 4: Maybe?
Speaker 3: Uh, But then we have to CounterPunch. That's the whole nature of the Beast, well is counterpunching. You make a change, we make a change, you do something that works, we stop it, and we make you go back to do something else. I know as a coach, offensive coach, and play caller for a long period of time, there's no there's no perfect defense. You can't stop everything. You just have to guess properly and do your best on those plays where they get you where they where they guess, I'll guess you. You have to make a play. And that's what great teams do. They make great plays when they really should have gotten beat on it. And we're just not making plays at all, let alone great plays.
Speaker 10: Well, I'll tell you what they did.
Speaker 18: So the Bengals had these invoices drawn up right, and so for season ticket holders at they had these invoices ready to go. And as soon as we beat the Steelers last Thursday, they sent them out to the season ticket holders.
Speaker 6: And so now we have.
Speaker 18: Until October thirty first to renew our season tickets. So, you know, tell me what would I do as a season ticket holder between out and next Friday? You know, I have to make a decision. Am I going to spend you know, twenty four hundred dollars on season tickets? And it's just the product isn't there. And I'm so conflicted. I want to invest in this team that I want them to invest in me, and it is it is very difficult. As a season ticket holder, what would you do?
Speaker 4: It's purely a crapshoot in terms of.
Speaker 3: The coaches and the players matching with the coaches and making it work. The front office is gonna hire people. They're gonna hire people based on recommendations. They're going to put the head coach in position to Your job depends on the people you hire. And if you hire bad people, you hire people that can't get the job done, then then we have to make a decision. And I trust that front office they're thinking about how they can fix this from that perspective, but I I in terms of what you see on the field, the only way you can change and let them know your thoughts is to to make that executive decision and say I'm going to leave my season tickets for when you get good again.
Speaker 4: I'll wait.
Speaker 18: But then and there's a waiting list, and it's just like, shoot, I just missed that, and so.
Speaker 3: And so they got you, they got you, And I'm not promoting. I'm not promoting turning season tickets. And because I'm a huge fan myself and I've been up and down with this team forever I had season tickets.
Speaker 4: I gave him up. I got them back again.
Speaker 3: I gave him up because of my my occupation, and and and there there are times I wish I had them back because I love the Bengals, I love the organization.
Speaker 4: It's just, uh, you.
Speaker 3: Know, when from the top down you hire a head coach, he puts his people in in in uh in line. They get players and they coach them with the best they can. And either the players aren't making plays or some of the coaches aren't up to this, to the job.
Speaker 1: In shape, we've got to run. Appreciate the call as always.
Speaker 2: Thanks Chick, thank you. And he's Bruce Kazerski. This is Chick Ludwig.
Speaker 1: We're live at the Beachmont Wings and Ring five O nine Ohio Pike, and you're listening to the Tri State Chevy Dealers post game sports Talk presented by RNL carriers five one, three, seven, four nine, seven, eight hundred, The Big One, the numbers to call.
Speaker 2: This is the place to vent. The Bengals lose.
Speaker 1: To the New York Jets thirty nine to thirty eight on seven hundred WLW and ESPN fifteen thirty. You're listening to the Tri State Chevy Dealers postgame sports talk presented by RNL Carriers following the bengals thirty nine to thirty eight loss to the New York Jets, and we are live at the Beachmont Wings and Rings five o nine Ohio Pike Chick Ludwig alongside the great Bengals legend Bruce Kazerski. Yes, yeah, Bruce, You've got an entourage here, I do.
Speaker 19: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Who's who's all here?
Speaker 3: My wife is sitting over there, my oldest son, Matt, his son Gavin, little Bruchie over here. He's my younges, one of my my youngest grandson, my son Adam, his wife Brittany, Matt and Bryce for good friends of the family.
Speaker 4: So yeah, they're all out the joy it, enjoy the show. And some wing great great wings here. So they came out to joy, some food and some fun.
Speaker 2: You were at the game with a bunch of your Bengals.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're all down there to watch lap and and and Lamar going into the the Ring of Honor, and it was it was a great Saturday night at the stadium. And then it was really nice to meet those guys again talking around on the field about and limping around all those old guys.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: But then you know, watching the game in the same section with Jim McNally and all those guys really a great time. We had a fun But sitting watching the game, he's just like a first quarter I said, it was Tom, who are these guys? Look how well they're playing? And then the second quarter turned around. It was like, okay, here we go. Now we got an experiment. Now we got a one one play at a time. We don't know what you're gonnaxpect flip a coin.
Speaker 1: And then the fourth quarter came and I can just imagine what you guys are going through watching this.
Speaker 3: Well, I get a ride coming. My son picked up, but my wife I'm up at the stage, so we'd have to park and find traffic.
Speaker 4: And so we scored.
Speaker 3: We left as soon as they scored that touchdown went up at fourteen?
Speaker 4: Was that ten men?
Speaker 2: Mark chick? Yes.
Speaker 4: And by the time we got.
Speaker 3: To the concourse down outside walking the concourse to go out to the main road, the Jets that scored again got two point conversion.
Speaker 4: Now they're down by six. By the time we got in.
Speaker 3: The car and I'm started up to cutting the hill in the north of Kentucky.
Speaker 1: They were losing and for me to get here, I had to leave shortly after the third quarter ended. So I'm listening to the game. Yeah, Lap and ed Horr. Hear the stress and laps voice, could you Yes, you really couldn't believe it?
Speaker 4: Yes, you couldn't believe it?
Speaker 1: Making my way here from the Miamisburg War room, Yes, but yeah, I love listening to Lap and Dan Horde. But just yeah, the fourth quarter, you know, and I mentioned it earlier. As bad as the defense play down the stretch in this game, the offense didn't help them late with a three and out and then a meltdown on the very final drive when they only needed twenty.
Speaker 2: Plus yards to kick a possible game winning field goal. But it should never have come down to that against.
Speaker 3: The Jets, any defense along the road, one more punt and they had. They forced several punts, but not not when the game.
Speaker 20: Not.
Speaker 3: Once the offense started clicking and the Bengals defense was like flat, they were lost. They didn't know whether a pass or a run was coming because their their runs were going for just as many yards as their passes.
Speaker 2: Were.
Speaker 4: I mean they had five runs or four runs over twenty five yards. They had.
Speaker 3: The passing game was working real well, and Justin Fields had a career day when he was you know, under the gun from his owner. His owner is saying, we got the worst quarterback in the NFL.
Speaker 2: Unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Well, Bruce, let's review the delivery of the game, brought to you by RNL Carriers RLC dot com and make Arnel Carriers your global transportation provider. And it was a heck of a throw forty four yards from Joe Flacco to t Higgins. It came at the ten forty five mark of the second quarter, giving the Bengals a seventeen to three advantage.
Speaker 3: He put a double move on him, He gave him a little hitch move and then went right by him and the defensive back was immediately three steps behind Tea and that was game over. John did a great job just laying it out there and let him go get it.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right, is Josh with us in Corbin?
Speaker 21: Yes, guys, Hey, thank you for schecking McColls. First off, talking to you, and also it's an honor to speak to mister Bruce Bzerski number sixty four.
Speaker 6: Wow right here, that pretty pretty crazy.
Speaker 4: I appreciate.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So, yes, So we're driving back from the game.
Speaker 6: I'm almost back to Corbin.
Speaker 21: You know, I my thoughts that this is not a personnel problem now at this point.
Speaker 6: I mean, it is the person that problem at this point.
Speaker 21: This is our coaches, our our front office. They bring the players in, they evaluate them. We've got all this going on, but now here we are. You know, I don't think we're looking at our defense. Our offense has been great for his ten quarters. There's nothing to do with our quarter, with our offense. But here's the thing. If you have a bunch of me out there, you can coach me, and you can teach me where to get in the right position. But because you recruited Josh, he's not going to make the tackle. I might know where to be at, but it don't matter how much I know, we don't have the correct personnel. And until the personnel on the defensive side is added to and changed, unfortunately, we are not going to be able to compete on the defensive side. I know we've got a few hurt, but we this, you know, and I know Zach and our front office is the one that brings the players in. That's already a done deal.
Speaker 6: They can only coach up so much of.
Speaker 5: What they got.
Speaker 21: But guess what, we're stuck with what we got unless we make some trades. But this is all you know, we are personnel defensively is not where we need to coach.
Speaker 6: That got what he wanted.
Speaker 21: We're loaded offensively. The offensive line is starting to mash. We're creating holes.
Speaker 6: They have been creating holes.
Speaker 21: But uh, we've got to if there's not changes, is a personnel. Uh you know Logan Wilson was in the answer, you know, Cam Britt changing him.
Speaker 6: We're looking for all.
Speaker 5: Of these quick fixes.
Speaker 21: It's not the coaching and and I really I don't I don't think it is the coaching.
Speaker 5: As far as making the right plays.
Speaker 2: Right, It comes down to personnel.
Speaker 1: It comes down to heaven yet players and exactly they just don't They don't have it right now. Grab grab grab, that's all Cam Taylor British doing in the defensive back. Then with that, yeah, with that, we've reached the bottom of the hour.
Speaker 2: Break. We've got to run. We appreciate your chick.
Speaker 1: Ludwig alongside Bruce Kazerski you're listening to the Tri State Chevy Dealers postgame Sports Talk presented by RNL Carriers. We're live at the Beachmont Wings and Rings five O nine Ohio Pike. Come on out. We're here till eight thirty tonight, seven hundred WLW and Cincinnati's.
Speaker 2: ESPN fifteen thirty.
Speaker 4: It fell down Here.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Tri Stage Chevy Dealers postgame sports Talk presented by RNL carriers Chick Ludwig alongside Bruce Kazerski. We are live at the Beachmont Wings and Rings five O nine Ohio Pike breaking down the Bengals loss to the New York Jets.
Speaker 2: Thirty nine to thirty eight. It's still.
Speaker 1: It's still hard to believe that the Bengals just led this game really throughout, but they let the Jets hang around and this became a track meet and breaking the tape first. The New York Jets thirty nine to thirty eight. Incredible, and they had played five of their seven losses were by one score, two points to Pittsburgh, two points to Tampa Bay, six to the Miami Dolphins, two to the Denver Broncos, a seven point loss to the Carolina Panthers, and they were bound to win at some point.
Speaker 2: I just didn't want it to be today.
Speaker 3: Here's the amazing thing to me is the Jets came in with a pretty good reputation on defense. Those are some pretty good offenses that they kept the game closed for, and we were going up and down the field scoring. It was the other side of the ball, the justin fields offense that had trouble moving, and that's why they were under so much pressure for management and from the city. And they're having a hard time. Questions should the coach be fired? And that management says, it's not the coach's fault. We got the worst rate quarterback in the NFL, and now they're moving the ball up and down the field on us. That was the part that you just can't accept.
Speaker 2: Hey, let's go out to the fones. Welcome in? Is it John in Cedarville? Point? Is John there?
Speaker 4: John?
Speaker 17: Yes, sir, I will be recorded the game, can you guys hear me?
Speaker 4: Yes, yes we can.
Speaker 17: Hey, uh wow, where do we begin. I don't know which fill.
Speaker 19: Is worst today's loss or last year's Patriot loss, but I think they ranked probably about in the same category.
Speaker 22: And uh defensively for the Cincinnati Bengals. Today, he score thirty eight points. Uh in a game you're expected to win that game, I believe.
Speaker 5: And I don't know.
Speaker 23: That line is scream me defensively the sideline the sideline, and it seems like they're they're not posting, and they're not getting flow and stopping the wide runs left and right.
Speaker 17: And I don't know. It lacks leadership. And I don't know why Logan Wilson didn't on the field defensively every play, even.
Speaker 19: If you want to play your young rookies, why not go to a three to four on certain calls? And offensively of that last series with Flaco, you don't have time to drive the ball away. You got two the premier receivers in the NFL. Do you send them on streaks if you.
Speaker 2: Need twenty yards, you get twenty.
Speaker 17: Yards and you kick the go go and you win the ball game. There's no excuse for that. I don't know why Joe went to the locker room.
Speaker 19: I never did hear what.
Speaker 2: Was It was a shoulder issue.
Speaker 1: It was a shoulder issue on his sack and John we got to run.
Speaker 2: Appreciate the call. It's it is a mystery.
Speaker 1: There was a time where a receiver from the Jets in the slot goes out. It just does a like a down and out, And was a Josh Newton fig who just kind of let him go and he stayed where he was.
Speaker 2: In the zone, and that's where the ball went.
Speaker 3: That's what I was referring to as a soft coverage. You just can't imagine how how all of a sudden you know you're backing out. It's almost a prevent. It looked almost a prevent that tests. And in terms of the quality losses. The first game last year against the Patriots, you had no idea how bad they were.
Speaker 2: You know, you did?
Speaker 3: You know the Jets zero and seven? You you got an offense that's going up and down the field. You got to play some defense that that just can't happen. And and uh, I've seen it, been part of been part of it. It's unexplainable. You walk in the locker room the next day, what the heck just happened? And all you can do, if you're if you're legitimate about fixing the problem is look in the mirror, say it's not that guy.
Speaker 4: It's not that Guy's me.
Speaker 3: I'm doing something wrong and find your weaknesses because right now they're not going to fix it the way they're doing it.
Speaker 2: Do we have Mike and Cherry Grove?
Speaker 6: Yeah, guys, do you hear me?
Speaker 2: Ye? Yes?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 7: How you doing Hey?
Speaker 24: Just a couple of points. We were gashing them on the ground. I mean, p Ryan, what nine carries for ninety nine yards? Case Brown looked good? That second to last possession. You need to control the ball and run the cloth and we throw three straight passes for incompletion. I don't understand that. And then on the last possession when you gotta go down the field, they did run a running play.
Speaker 2: For no game.
Speaker 24: Zach Taylor goes away from the running game even when it's successful.
Speaker 10: I don't understand that.
Speaker 2: What do you think?
Speaker 3: I think every time you every time an NFL offense goes to the line of scrimmage, there's two or three plays that have been called. You call one play, but with that play, that's why you practice all week. That's why the NFL playbook is so thick. There's there's two plays with it. Maybe if you call a running play, it might be a different running play based on what the defense gives you, or it might be a check to a pass and so whatsever whatever happens, whatever they've been given the play is called, it turned into something.
Speaker 4: It turned into.
Speaker 3: A pass on that last series. The one time they tried to run it, they got they got zero yardage. I thought, in that situation, with the time running out, they should have thrown it on that situation. But again, well, Monday morning quarterback. The play selection is is is a second guest that that I've lived with for a long time coaching the way I did. But but the NFL, Uh, it's just you can't all of a sudden stop executing right.
Speaker 25: Well, that's what happened is p Ryan was running like a beat you got you got at least run run on first down on your seconds possessions.
Speaker 17: You've got to control the cop.
Speaker 24: And get the ball down the field. And I don't know why they didn't do it. Secondly, the guy calling about keeping tickets or not my daughter as season tickets.
Speaker 10: I talked to her after the game. She was miserable.
Speaker 24: They found out that their tickets are going to six dollars next year. Now, I just don't see where the investment is in the team. And the last thing I wanted to say, this game could have been the NFL sixth Game of the week. Somebody made a lot of money off this game.
Speaker 10: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 3: In terms of in terms of putting the quality product on the field, that's the coaches in this organization have never had more freedom to pick the players that they want. We've got a new defensive coordinator, with a new defensive line coach, and a new linebacker coach and all those people that come along with it. Their job is to get the best out of those players within the system and execute their talent with what they have because you can't wholesale change an entire defense at one time. They're not They're not getting it out of those guys right now, and something has to change. Like Chick's been saying all that long, they got a couple defensive backs that that won't that won't tackle hard enough. I won't hit anybody hard enough to get out of the paper bag. And that's been going on all year long. And then they got other some some guys that are playing their butt off back there. So you know, it seems like and water is always gonna run downhill in the NFL. They're always going to tackle your weak spot and everybody coach, every team that comes in here knows what your week's weaknesses are. If you can't cover them up for a long period of time, you're gonna get beat.
Speaker 2: Bruce. All fans want their team to win.
Speaker 1: Okay, So when it comes to season tickets for going to the ballpark, I say the same thing to Reds fans. You are seeing some of the greatest athletes in the world win or lose on the football field. So you have to love the game. Yes, you love the Bengals, but to see some of the greatest athletes.
Speaker 2: In the world on one stage, to me, it's worth it.
Speaker 3: The entertainment value, win or lose again, it's it's exceptional. The show has never been better at the stage, the pregame, the post game, the in between, all the different highlights that go on around the stadium. It's a it's a show for eight hours on a Sunday afternoon. Great way to take the family down there. Uh right now, we all live and die with wins and losses, and that's just the nature of the beast. We want to we want to go through a drive through and be the be be through in a minute. And when you're sitting in line for two minutes. You're upset. You know, you want to get your coffee and you want to go, and you don't want the lady in front of you, who didn't order online to order and order a box of donuts you want to get. You know she's gonna order a hand pick her twelve donuts and it takes your twenty minutes to get through the drive through.
Speaker 4: We all want things faster. Uh.
Speaker 3: You know, Zach's had Zax had some time here, and he's got his offense, and then Joe gets hurt, so he gets Joe Flacco after three weeks of uh legitimately horrible offense, and and then they get Joe Flacco going, and he's making this thing whole thing work. God love Joe Flacco. He's even running the ball on occasion big situations. But the defense, they have to play better. They just have to play better, and there's ways to do it. Uh, coach to the ability of the players. You got and call and call things at work. I don't think I saw what's they They brought a corner one time.
Speaker 1: They brought Cam Taylor Bred nearly got to him. Yeah, it's speaking of coffee. I do have my coffee. I've got my computer, all I need is you. I'm with Bruce out there.
Speaker 3: Anybody out there not sure checks lead drinking coffee twenty four to seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's exactly right.
Speaker 4: Just listen to the show.
Speaker 1: Hey you are We are live at the Beachmont Wings and Rings five o nine Ohio Pike, and you're listening to the Tri State Chevy Dealers post game sports Talk presented by RNL carriers. Following the bengals thirty nine to thirty eight loss to the New York Jets on seven hundred WLW and Cincinnati's ESPN fifteen thirty. You're listening to the Tri State Chevy Dealers post game sports Talk presented by RNL Carriers. He's Bruce Kazerski. This is Chick Ludwig. We're live at the Beachmont Wings and Rings.
Speaker 2: Five h nine Ohio Pike.
Speaker 1: This is one of our one of our best locations all year and on behalf of everyone at iHeartMedia Cincinnati seven hundred WLWESPN fifteen thirty and Fox Sports thirteen sixty. We sincerely appreciate the sponsorship of Wings and Rings. We're traveling all over the Tri State. Heck, We're going to be in Indiana soon, you know, Indiana, Kentucky. Man, it's awesome. And the wings Burger, sandwiches, salads, appetizers.
Speaker 2: Drink specials, wings and rings has it all.
Speaker 1: And we're breaking down the bengals thirty nine to thirty eight loss to the New York Jets today and man, it.
Speaker 2: Hurts, Bruce, it really hurts.
Speaker 1: Well, let's go over the and highlight the drive of the game, brought to you by the BMW store. They're over three hundred and fifty BMW centers in the United States, but there's only one store to BMW be a store where passion loves company and to me, the drive of the game for the Cincinnati Bengals their last scoring drive at the ten twenty one mark of the fourth quarter, Chase Brown with a one yard run. It completed the seventh place seventy three yard drive that gave the Bengals what seemed like at the time, an insurmountable thirty eight to twenty four lead.
Speaker 2: But no the uh.
Speaker 1: The New York Jets scored twenty three points in the fourth quarter, outscoring the Bengals twenty three to seven on their way to this one point thirty nine to thirty eight.
Speaker 3: I can almost save I can almost hear a lap up there warming up.
Speaker 4: The bam bam bam.
Speaker 3: I can almost hear them getting ready to say it. And then by the time we got to the truck, they were By the time we got to the car, they were behind.
Speaker 4: I believe it.
Speaker 1: Just incredible. Yes, and uh, hey, let's go out to the phones. Do we have Craig in el Passa?
Speaker 20: Oh?
Speaker 2: Who is in Texas?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 2: Yeah, is Craig Craig there?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 2: How about Tim and Columbus?
Speaker 26: Yes, I was at the game and I had to drive back to Columbus. I made it home safely to uh, I had the time to cool down.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 26: So it all comes down to talent evaluation and Duke Tobin and that front office has shown they have a track record. They don't have the talent on defense.
Speaker 4: Period. We can't.
Speaker 26: We can't sugarcoat that and say they have the talent. They just not write positions. No, they don't have the talent. A defensive line is atrociers, Jenkins, McKinley wants his name, Shamar Stewart. They got to put dresses on all of them. They can't touch the quarterback and until the Bengals front office, Mike Brown, Katie Blackburn, Troy, until they change their cash versus cap, they're going to continue to struggle. And my concern is a fan, and my frustration is they are pissing away a generational talent and Joe Burrow, Jamar Chase key Higgins a plarific offense and they're pissing it away.
Speaker 4: And that's not purely aggravating me. Duke Tobin needs.
Speaker 10: To be humiliated publicly.
Speaker 26: And I said the people around me before I left the stadium, if they see him out in public anywhere, please let him know.
Speaker 1: For me, that's that's enough there. From Tim and Columbus. You have to give Duke Tobin credit for getting the trade with the Cleveland Browns to bring in Joe Flacco. Can we give him a little bit of props for that because they could have brought in any number of people, but they centered on the right guy and the and the Cleveland Browns. They were able to pull off that trade. So give him a little bit of credit there. But this defense, they need better players. It's simple as that.
Speaker 3: There's always so much there's always so much money to go around. Their salary caps, and we're we're very close to it, if not at it. You know, Uh, Zach Taylor made a choice. He's he's invested in Joe Burrow and Jamar Chase and t Higgins and and uh and all of his fan and and Chase uh in the backfield and and uh. And then they had the hardest guy to get under under signed was was Hendrickson. And Uh, they thought they'd be all right, But I mean, I'm not sure what I was watching during preseason. I thought I saw the same same kind of stuff. You know, their offense would would move the ball and then they turn it over and due to defense, and uh, they got run gaping runs up the middle and great passes over the top. And you know, I'm just nothing changed from the from the time where they they were practicing with these guys that weren't here anymore to the time they're playing with the guys who are. So I it's just harder as time goes by to see the sharing the well. So both sides of the ball have really good talent, and then coaches come in and somehow not being able to get the most out of their players.
Speaker 1: The New York Jets rolled up five hundred and two offensive yards to the Bengals three ninety eight.
Speaker 2: They had real balance here.
Speaker 1: The Jets did two forty eight passing to the Bengals two to seventeen and two hundred and fifty four rushing yards to the Bengals.
Speaker 2: One eighty one.
Speaker 1: So the Bengals awesome running the ball and the Jets just torch them, trample them for two fifty four. And the Jets ran twelve more plays in the Bengals seventy to fifty eight. And they hogged the ball for thirty three minutes and forty seconds to the Bengals twenty six to twenty and four running plays of twenty five plus yards. Bruce Kezerski a fifty, a thirty five, a twenty seven, and a twenty five.
Speaker 3: That's having a bad day. I mean, I don't care whether you're playing at a early part of the ball game or whether you're playing in the fourth quarter where you can afford to let the team gain chunks yards. But chunk plays like that they can't happen in the run. They cannot happen in the run. I'd be willing to bet that that earlier in that ballgame, the Jets had just as many tackle for lost plays that the Bengals made in their backfield as we had the whole rest of the ball game. I mean we didn't we didn't get in the backfield. We didn't tackle him for a loss. We barely tackled him.
Speaker 1: You're right, Uh want to give some props here to some ry. Oh my goodness, he's got to get more involved in the in the offense. He's a warrior, just a tremendous and he was one of the few that talked to Lap afterwards in the locker room and an absolute prince.
Speaker 3: And so there's a there's a lesson learned in that one. They let him go because he wanted a little bit more money in his new contract, and they realized just how much they missed him in those third and situations where he wasn't there.
Speaker 1: That's right, he mean with the Broncos and he was with the Chiefs, and they finally bring you back in and but he still has Yeah.
Speaker 2: He still has life left in those legs.
Speaker 4: Amazing.
Speaker 3: I think I was sad to see him go, and I'm so happy that he's back. He's a tremendous addition and great asset in the backfield. They need to do the same thing on the other side of the ball. And like I said, I don't know how much money there is with the money's tied up on offense.
Speaker 1: Samaj A p RN nine rushes for ninety four yards ten point four long gain of thirty two. He had a touchdown run and Chase Brown twelve carries for seventy three yards six point one a carry and twenty a twenty two yard run, So twenty three carries a buck eighty one. They rushed for an average of seven point nine yards per rush.
Speaker 3: That's a that's a fantastic day, I mean, and when even even in the heyday when we were running the ball, leading league and.
Speaker 4: Rushing, that was a hell of a day.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But you know, for the Bengals, the.
Speaker 3: Way they ran the ball in the first five or six weeks, that is a miracle. Now all of a sudden, we can't stop the run, we can't stop the pass, and so but again, if you look back the preseason, that's the way it was. If you look back in the early part of the season, the offense was playing so poorly after Joe got hurt that you didn't even pay attention to how badly the defense was playing.
Speaker 1: Thirty seven carries for the Jets two hundred and fifty four yards a buck, thirty three for Breese Hall, sixty five.
Speaker 2: For as Isaiah Davis.
Speaker 1: Justin Fields rushed eleven times for thirty one yards, but all so calculated got some first downs.
Speaker 2: Incredible.
Speaker 1: And that Isaiah Williams one carry for twenty five yards, so two fifty four just just brutal.
Speaker 4: Field's had his back to the wall.
Speaker 3: He makes some big two in three yard runs if you ask me, I mean he really did.
Speaker 4: And uh, he made some big.
Speaker 3: Throws, but sometimes they weren't even that difficult. I mean they were so wide open. He made some scrabbling throws, but they were so wide open at times it was hard to miss them.
Speaker 1: Incredible. Hey, we've reached the top of the seven o'clock hour break. We're live at the Beachmont Wings and Rings five o nine Ohio Pike. He's Bruce Dezerski. This is Chick Ludwig. You're listening to the Tri State Chevy Dealers postgame sports talk presented by RNL carriers following the bengals thirty nine to thirty eight loss to the jets on seven hundred WLW and Cincinnati's ESPN fifteen thirty.
Speaker 15: This is the Tri Stage Chevy Dealer's postgame Sports Talk live from Buffalo Wings and Rings, presented by R and L Carriers. Postgame Sports Talk is brought to you in part by Pellow Windows and Door making life brighter. Heella now pay Later Carrier and your local carrier Dealers turned to the experts Carrier Cincinnati Tax Resolution powered by Tave Sheldon three five one three top h Postman law Injured call eight four to four Postman Others promise Postman delivers R and L Carriers. Visit RLC dot com and make R and L Carriers your global transportation provider. And by your Tri State Chevy Dealers the number one selling brand in Cincinnati for nine straight years. And now post games sports Talk.
Speaker 1: We are live at the Beachmont Wings and Rings five o nine Ohio Pike, and you are listening to the Tri State Chevy Dealers Post Game Sports Talk presented by RNL Carriers. This is Chick Ludwig and I'm alongside Bengals legendary offensive lineman Bruce Kazerski. We're breaking down the Bengals thirty nine to thirty eight loss to the New York Jets at pay Course Stadium today like a wrecking ball. Mike Mills is are awesome on site. Engineer Liam Tomlinson is producing back and our Kenwood Studios wings burgers, sandwiches, salads, appetizers, drink specials, wings and rings, has it all. And we are here tonight until eight thirty on Beachmont and you're invited. And if you can't be here in person, feel free to call us at five one, three, seven, four nine, seven thousand, one eight hundred the Big One. Bruce Kazerski has a table full of family members here, but there's a couple of chick Magnets in the house. My good buddy Jim Mallott works at Kemba Credit Union and his bride Mary Alice, thank you for being chick Magnets tonight. Awesome, but yeah, disappointing, I said at the top of the show. Easily one of the most disappointing, upsetting losses, embarrassing losses in Bengals history, because the Jets were zero to seven coming in here today and it was.
Speaker 2: The Ring of Honor game honoring.
Speaker 1: The Great Dave Lapham fifty years with this franchise as a player and as a broadcaster, does a phenomenal job. Is the color analyst on the Bengals Radio network with the play by play voice of the Bengals Stan Hoarde and Leaping Lamar Parish number twenty.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, the.
Speaker 1: Most explosive, exciting player in Bengals history. Finally getting honored. He's in the Black College Football Hall of Fame. I would love to see him bookend with Ken Riley in Canton.
Speaker 4: I believe he should be.
Speaker 3: He's unbelievable that the athletic ability, and you think about the timeframe he came into the league. He had never played that position in his life. And Paul Brown makes him a defensive back and he turns into one of the top three or four maybe to ever play the game. Just amazing. And then have thirteen non offensive returns, whether the interception fumbel returns or kickoff punt returns for touchdowns.
Speaker 2: Amazing, Just amazing.
Speaker 1: Go on YouTube, Google up leap In Lamar Parrish and just just a phenomenal, phenomenal player and a great friend. I still stay in touch with a lot of the Bengals a lumps, including leap and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they had a great reception, uh last night at the stadium. It was nice to see all the people turn out. A lot of the lot of the fans were there, but a lot of the players were there and and really enjoyed the conversation, the memories and listen to those guys talk about it and uh talk about their their favorite moments, their favorite plays, are their best games. You know, Moore had a ninety yard punt return for a touchdown and a fumble return for a touchdown. He said that wasn't even close to my best game, you know, in the same game. And you know he was that he was that good and that well known and that colorful with his outfits. He brought flash to the to the organization and it was really great to hear him. And then of course lap we love Leafy. He's one of the brotherhood. When the offensive lineman, you know, Jim McNally uh uh got inducted into the Profoble Hall of Fame this year Canton, and so we all went up there and it was great. All the all the the brotherhood that we had played with an including laugh was it was It was great to be the part of that and and uh, man, he's just he's just one of the one of the kind, one of a kind at fifty years in the same the passion that he has, you can hear it every time he calls a game.
Speaker 1: The brilliance and the the brilliance of Paul Brown to have the wherewithal to see a player in college and then put him in a position in the in the National Football League, like a Ken Riley a quarterback at Florida A and M making him a corner and then seeing leap and lamar Is a running back and putting him at the other at the other corner.
Speaker 3: You could have very easily seen him as the as the best receiver of his time. That guy could runk if he was, he could fly, he could he could shake you out of your boots, and he can catch anything.
Speaker 4: His athletic ability was second to maybe none.
Speaker 1: And you told a story here off the air about Paul Brown watching you long snack.
Speaker 3: I walked in as a rookie and not knowing anybody, and I'm after practicing one another training camp day. It was actually a minicamp day.
Speaker 4: And uh, I didn't know anybody.
Speaker 3: I didn't even know he knew who my name, and I'm snapping for for punts, and uh, the ball was wobbly. It was a little bit bigger than it was in college, and so it was wobbly, and uh, he stood right there watching me, watching, didn't say word. Then all study said, Bruce with your left hand about half inch up the ball, okay, sir, And nothing but spirals the rest of the way. I mean, just those little things are It's amazing to see because I don't know how many snaps he made his career, you know what I'm saying. I don't think Paul Brown was a long snapper one time in his career, but he knew how to coach those little, little tiny techniques like that, and that was a simple thing. You imagine taking a guy like Lamar out of college and making him the best defensive back they ever played for the organization and not in the Hall of Fame yet. I don't know something he did something with the with the conference, with the league and and everybody, but the people to vote on that, really they'd better take a look at themselves, because Lamar should be in, Kenny Anderson should be in, Max Montoya should be in.
Speaker 4: I mean, the list goes on and on and on. Right, Yeah, let's hear it.
Speaker 1: And even Tommy Casanova told me that Paul Brown would stand on the sidelines in absolute awe of lamar. Yeah, but there was a conflict there with he wanted a little bit more money.
Speaker 3: And now you know how money gets in the way of a lot of a lot of decisions. And that's not only in the Bengals organization, that's around the league.
Speaker 1: And uh yeah, the teams he burned, Washington and Buffalo, that's who we played for the Bengals.
Speaker 3: Hey, you know what, Yes, when you're when you're pitcher and you're committed to Cincinnati and you beat the Reds with a shutout, that's where the Reds want to get on their staff and receiver did that for years, right, we get tom sheever for a few years.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Hey, let's uh, let's review before we go back out to the phone. Now, let's review the Guilty Windows. Window of opportunity brought to you by Guilty Windows. The key to quality windows is trust the pros Gilkey windows.
Speaker 2: How about in.
Speaker 1: That first quarter fourth and one for the New York Jets and instead of in inches, instead of letting justin fields with a keeper going straight ahead. They pitched the ball to Reese Hall and he got stopped by Barret Carter. Bengals takeover on downs on the plus side of the field, drive it into the end zone for a ten to nothing lead.
Speaker 2: You know, there's that was their window of.
Speaker 4: This is an opportunity.
Speaker 3: You're really when you study so much film, you say, this is what they're gonna do in this situation. We have a great opportunity to make a chunk play instead of just getting the first down. This is what they saw. They said, this is how the Bengals are going to play this. It's felt we'll get the yard, but we can really take a shot on a chunk play right here if we run this pitch play and we did something different. We made the play in the backfield was a really nice play, and they didn't it the first time. We went back and scored. And that's just the way offensive coordinators and those think tanks put their plays together. They got a they got there's a thousand plays or five hundred plays on their call sheet and they're only so time specific. I've got to have the right situation. But boy, if I get it, I'm not gonna miss the opportunity.
Speaker 1: Hey, we've got to take another break. When we come back, we're gonna take your calls. We've got Mike and Steve and Mark and Mike Glenn and Bill Man.
Speaker 2: We appreciate your patience. Please hold on.
Speaker 1: We're live at the Beachmond Wings and Rings five o nine Ohio Pike, and you're listening to the Tri State Chevy Dealers postgame sports talk with Chick Ludwig and Bruce Kazerski were presented by RNL carriers seven hundred WLW Cincinnati's ESPN fifteen thirty Listening to the Dry State Chevy Dealers postgame sports Talk presented by RNL carriers Chick Ludwig alongside Bengals legend Bruce Kazerski. Bengals lose today thirty nine to thirty eight to the New York Jets. And now, Bruce, you're in that locker room after the game, a one point loss, man, what is going through your mind?
Speaker 4: I'll tell you what. I've seen some bad ones.
Speaker 3: The worst one I was ever part of, if you asked me, was the one the name we lost to San Francisco. Uh we had a uh, we had a lead, and uh it was fourth down at our thirty yard line. Sam, watch want I wanted to go for it.
Speaker 4: Run the clock. There was eight seconds left. He figured we'd run sweep.
Speaker 3: The clock of the be would be over in the game of the over and they hit James Brooks in the backfield for a loss. Had three seconds left on the clock, and they threw one play to Jerry Rice in the corner of the end zone. Then we lost the game. And before before they even kicked the extra point to take the lead, Sam ran across his sugar Bill WASH's hand.
Speaker 4: I remember that, Oh, I remember.
Speaker 3: And when we went to the locker room after that game, it was the Sam Sam said to the whole team, he said, this was a this is the one one of the worst losses have ever been a part of. And we lost it because you guys lost your composure.
Speaker 4: Thought.
Speaker 3: I thought half the team was going to rip him apart. And it was hard to get to get the control back. The rest of that season, we lost games. I mean, we invented a ways of losing game. We were three and thirteen that year, and we had to lead in most of them because we were saying the next year, we showed up and said listen, we got a we got an opportunity to be special, and we went to the.
Speaker 1: Super Bowl that year ago, they almost got rid of Sam at almost year they almost said yeah, sure.
Speaker 2: But you bounced back and got to the super Bowl.
Speaker 3: We walked in this training camp, had a meetings the guys. We found ways to lose. We can't do that again. You know, we're very talented. We just need to take care of our business. Had a top rated offense, we had a better than average a defense at fifteen or fourteen ranked defense.
Speaker 4: And that's good things happen. Do you stop people, you win games.
Speaker 1: Let's go out to the phones and welcome in Mike and sinci A. Mike, are you there? Y?
Speaker 10: I am, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 2: What's on your mind?
Speaker 24: Well, every week we talk about atrocious tackling, and so I've got something for the fan based uponder about tackling. So if you're a if you're a great tackler in college and they'll say you're a great tackler in space. In college, you you know how to break down, how to hit, rap and tackle somebody. Do you suddenly become a terrible tackler in the NFL?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 9: So?
Speaker 24: I I mean, I disagree with you, chickholeheartedly. This This is solely on the director of player of personnel for.
Speaker 10: The Bengals who's been into.
Speaker 24: The posision for twenty five years and has missed on so many draft micks over the years. I just don't think that they know how to evaluate talent directly. Now, my seven year old grandson could the draft, so Bro Jathon Higgins.
Speaker 10: That's that's that's a four one conclusion.
Speaker 24: But the trick is is to draft guys who are flying under the radar screen that really know how to play serious football.
Speaker 6: And that's when the Bengals come.
Speaker 24: They come up short every season on both sides of the ball. But right now it's learningly obvious on the defensive side of the ball because all we talk about every week you guys do the same thing is what terrible tacklers they are. So you tell me, Bruce, if you're a great backler in college, do you suddenly become a terrible tackler in the NFL? Is the game that much quicker that you can't adjust? Because I don't think that you could take a guy that maybe came.
Speaker 10: As a rookie and doesn't really know where he's supposed to be on the field.
Speaker 24: You can teach a guy how to be in space where he's supposed to be, but I don't think you could teach a guy to be a great tackler. You're either a great tackler or you're not. And that's a major problem that the Bengals have had for many years. And I think it falls on Dukes covins ed and his evaluate talent.
Speaker 1: I'm an out of all right, Yeah, let's uh, let Bruce address this a couple of things.
Speaker 3: You know, guys coming out of college, they're they're ambitious, they want to make the NFL, and so they they play their best football. And then sometimes they get to the NFL and they realize, you know what, I'm here, I don't have to I don't those those running backs are big, you know, those linemen coming around a corner, they're not They're not two hundred and eighty pounds anymore.
Speaker 2: They're four.
Speaker 3: They're three hundred and forty pounds, and and they run like a four or five or a four five, but a five two forty you're gonna come around here and they're gonna run me over. You know, maybe I just want to arm tackle. I don't want to break mar and before you know it, you're not what you were a couple years older, a couple of years smarter. You stick your head in there, you get concussions, and before you know it, you're you're not willing to.
Speaker 4: Do that again.
Speaker 3: And some some of it's that, some of it is is tackling, some of it's some of it's the draft.
Speaker 4: There's no doubt about it. Something it is the drafting.
Speaker 3: But again, if you're gonna pay great players, the Bengals have chosen to spend the money on the offensive side of the ball. They barely got Hutchet hocking. Uh heck yeah, they they barely got Trey under contract before the season started. And so where where else are they going to find enough money to pay the other guys because you know, they they don't make Let's just put it this way, they don't have a history of spending money everywhere with with uh, you know, without getting something for it, and they're they're not willing to.
Speaker 4: I think yet, something something has to be done. I I I don't thought for.
Speaker 3: A second that the uh that the ownership is taking stock in not only Zach but also Duke Tobin and and and all that because Zack's made some decisions with coaches that haven't panned out, and he's allowed the coaching staff to to put Like, as I said, last year, they hired a linebacker coach that that wasn't as good as they hoped and so that puts the defense and then it.
Speaker 4: Changes careers with players too.
Speaker 3: He's teaching them different techniques, he's teaching them to look their eyes differently, and before you know it, like Wilson the middle linebacker, he's not playing. There's a guy that was one of their standouts. You know, he's not playing. He hasn't adjusted well to the new system. Maybe he's right. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Hey, do we have Steve in Somerset?
Speaker 27: Hey, guys, what's happening?
Speaker 2: All right? Steve?
Speaker 5: Hey man?
Speaker 27: Keep thinking. So I went to the game today and I'm a live pluck ININCNATI fan foury nine years all morning rage in Cincinnati, Ohio. And I've been been through this man with the nineties and been through a lot of tough time with the Bengals, but today was just felt like it was one of the lowest the lows. He can't blame it on the offense. We played outstanding. I thought our offense was great. That fourth quarter last drive shit has ever happened. The game should have already been put away. This defense is probably the worst defend I have seen in my forty nine years. For the last few seasons we have been at the bottom of the pack. We did not run the right stems. I hear people talking about talent, talent, tallent. We may not have the best ballent, but you have to run the right schemes for these guys to be successful and to be put in the position to make plays. We get no pressure on the quarterback. We're never in the backfield trying to, you know, stopping the run for losses. We're giving up big plays on the outside all the time. And somebody's got to be held accountable for this. We got too much talent. You know, there's a there's a window that's gonna be closing very quickly that we could be a Super Bowl champion and bring the first one to the city of Cincinnati. But if we don't address this and get people held accountable for their jobs, then we're never going to be successful and bringing that first Super Bowl trophy to Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: Steve I've said it one hundred times. The Bengals play to the level of their competition. They play up for the Pittsburgh Steelers, and they played down today to me to New York Jets. They built a big lead, then they got soft, and then they got burned at the end.
Speaker 2: And I appreciate the call. Let's go to Mark and Dayton.
Speaker 10: All.
Speaker 2: I'm here, all right, Mark, what's on your mind?
Speaker 28: Chick?
Speaker 6: Bruce, Great to talk to you.
Speaker 25: Hey, there's been a lot of good points made this evening about you know, the problems with this, that and the other. And granted, you know, they went out and got Flaco to ensure that the offense stayed humming.
Speaker 6: And they had been without question.
Speaker 25: The defense is a broken record.
Speaker 7: Like the last guy said, last.
Speaker 4: Year was abysmal.
Speaker 25: If it hadn't have been for them scoring thirty five forty points a game and just outscoring everybody because the defense they had to because the defense last year couldn't stop anybody. And sometimes when you have guys on on your defense, you know you hear about that, well, you need to dumb down the play for these guys. And I've seen several comments since the game plus watching it. Uh, Golden was walking around the sidelines with defensive calls on like a three by five index card that was his that was his play sheet.
Speaker 3: Oh sometimes, and I'm well, sometimes keeping it simples good, you know.
Speaker 25: Well only if And I just wonder if is there a wonder lick test for for these players?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 29: You know?
Speaker 4: Uh uh, I just I just wonder.
Speaker 25: Because it's like they are out of position so many times, and it's just like last week against Rogers. Rogers is a great quarterback, but how many times were these guys the field was just wide open in the secondary?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, we see, Yeah, we saw it today, wide open. And I love the tackle where the guy had the pulling on his jersey in the back.
Speaker 3: Offenses have never been more complicated and more difficult to line up properly too. But you can't let them run on you like that. And that's the defensive line linebackers.
Speaker 2: And we've reached the bottom of the hour break.
Speaker 1: We appreciate the calls, uh, And we've got Mike and glennon Bill, please hang on, we're getting to you next. We're live at the Beachmont Wings and Rings five O nine Ohio Pike, and you're listening to the tri State Chevy Dealers Postgame Sports Talk. Bruce Kazerski, Chick Ludwig. We're presented by RNL Carriers seven hundred WLW ESPN fifteen thirty Welcome back to the Tri State Chevy Dealers Postgame Sports Talk presented by RNL Carriers. We are live at the Beachmont Wings and Rings five O nine, Ohio Pike. He's Bruce Kazerski, this is Chick Ludwig. We're breaking down the bengals thirty nine to thirty eight loss to the New York Jets like a wrecking ball. Mike Mills are awesome on site engineer and Liam Tomlinson. We appreciate all his help producing back in our Kenwood studios. Bengals fall thirty nine to thirty eight. Every Bengals fan is disappointed. Right now, I want to go over some scores around the National Football League. It just became final. The Denver Broncos at home forty four to twenty four winners over the Dallas Cowboys. The Dolphins get back in the win column with a thirty four to ten victory over the Falcons in Atlanta today elsewhere, Yeah, just trying to refresh my screen here a little bit.
Speaker 4: Ravens won.
Speaker 2: The Ravens wound up.
Speaker 1: Winning the New England Patriots all over the Cleveland Browns in Foxborough thirty two to thirteen, Eagle chop down the New York Giants thirty eight to twenty in Philly, the Buffalo Bills all over the Carolina Panthers forty to nine, and like Bruce mentioned there, the Baltimore Ravens back in the win column with a thirty to sixteen home victory over the Chicago Bears, and the Houston Texans, much maligned, get back in the win column twenty six to fifteen at home over the San Francisco forty nine Ers, and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are twenty three to three winners over the Saints in New Orleans, and the Indianapolis Colts just keep on winning thirty eight to fourteen at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis over the Tennessee Titans. And Monday night's game will feature the Washington Commanders at the Kansas City Chiefs. That's Tomorrow night and tonight's Sunday night game Packers at the Steelers eight twenty kickof off tonight, Bruce, so it's the National Football League.
Speaker 3: It's that simple, yeah, on any given Sunday, right, And that was that you just don't expect on seventeen to come in to Cincinnati, and especially when the offense played today and and uh and walk out of here with a win.
Speaker 2: Hey, we've got uh, we've got Mike and Columbus Mike. Are you there?
Speaker 27: I am.
Speaker 30: Hey, guys, I'm gonna be real quick as I can here. I've got four quick things.
Speaker 4: Number one.
Speaker 30: I know it was mentioned the Bengals look like they may have softened up, and Fields was able to take advantage of that. The NFL, the game moves fast. I give tip my cap to Justin Fields. He took advantage of his opportunities that were given to him today and he got his team a win.
Speaker 4: So I don't want to be little anything.
Speaker 30: That he did because of the thief that we see this every week in the NFL, and so uh, tip of the cap to him.
Speaker 21: Uh.
Speaker 30: Number two, number six.
Speaker 5: Won for the Jets. I didn't see it much.
Speaker 30: In the first quarter, stat a little bit of the second quarter, and then often in the third and fourth quarter they lined him up as.
Speaker 10: An eligible receiver.
Speaker 5: It looked like he was.
Speaker 30: On the inside in the backfield. I was trying to figure out what they they were trying to do and accomplish with that. Bruce, maybe you can speak to this, maybe you picked up on or not. I kept waiting to see if maybe he would block it and sneak out into into space for a pass. But I never saw that. If you picked up on some of what they were trying to do, or maybe you picked up just I would love to hear. The third thing is stalary cap. I'm not a fan of it in the NFL because I don't think teams spin spend to the threshold that they can to make teams more complimentary. I think teams too many teams are weak on one side of the ball or another, and it.
Speaker 4: Makes very average football.
Speaker 30: Maybe a handful of teams can play complimentary football on both sides of the ball.
Speaker 1: To have a salary cap, because with the money the Jerry Jones has, you'll have twenty two All Pros playing for him.
Speaker 2: So let's get rid of that notion right away.
Speaker 1: And every team has to spend at least what like four fists of the salary cap.
Speaker 4: You have to keep.
Speaker 2: Money back for your injured players. They get paid two I totally get it. I do totally get it.
Speaker 30: But the issue I have is that it looks like the NFL doesn't have very many teams that can play both sides of the ball. It looks very weak and modern product in the NFL is average or weak. And then you have a lot of teams at the top, and thirty years in this league with a salary cap, only fifteen franchises have won.
Speaker 4: Super Bowl championships.
Speaker 30: Yo to Major League Baseball, nineteen of won championships. I don't think it helps teams get to the top. I think it holds them back.
Speaker 2: And the premier.
Speaker 30: Franchise in this league hasn't won super Bowl in thirty years at the beginning to this salary cap, and that's the Dallas Cowboys. It's hard and people don't understand it. It's hard to get complimentary teams.
Speaker 6: And I don't.
Speaker 30: Begrudge players getting paid because they should. They should go out and get as much as they can. But when they get paid in the NFL, and like Baseball, they don't have time to develop players because as soon.
Speaker 2: As they started to develop and they can't pay guys, they're.
Speaker 7: Often go somewhere else.
Speaker 10: And it's hard to get your team to play.
Speaker 2: Equal with that. Mike, appreciate your call very much.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 4: It started.
Speaker 3: It started with one of these teams paying and you know, the quarterback a ridiculous amount of money. Then everybody that was better than him. The next year contract came up. They had to get more money, and they had to get more and then receiving and running backs they had to get more money. Before you know it, you can't protect a fifty million dollar quarterback with you know, a one million dollar offensive lineman.
Speaker 4: So they got to make money.
Speaker 2: Well, thank Heaven, there's a rookie salary cap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because everyone was screaming when a guy that hasn't thrown one pass in the league is making, you know, a huge, huge contract, like a Matt Matthew Stafford.
Speaker 2: Uh, he might have been the last one.
Speaker 3: And that's where and that's where the salary cap hurts a little. You have to pay Joe, you have to pay uh Chase, you had to pay Higgins, you got to pay the you know, the defensive ends you got. You got to pay all these special players. But you also have to keep people on the field that can block. So what you do is you draft first round, second round, picks that could play your your offensive line positions, and then they have a four year rookie contract. They've got a salary cap on that, so that keeps their overall salaries down, so they spend money on everybody else. The problem is they're not they're not proven in this league. So a first round pick coming out of Ohio State or Michigan or or one of these you know, big, big powerhouse Alabama, he's not proven in the NFL until he can prove himself after three or four years of being successful. You know, then you have yourself a probe. But by that time they want twenty million dollars, so you're cut between the rock and a hard place.
Speaker 2: Hey do we have Glenn in Cincinnati?
Speaker 4: Yes, God, Glenn.
Speaker 6: Hey, here's the thing.
Speaker 31: I'm not sure there's I'm gonna be able to say anything that you haven't already heard or you don't you don't even want to hear.
Speaker 10: But here's the thing.
Speaker 31: But I don't understand.
Speaker 10: Right before the six fifty.
Speaker 31: Break, you guys are talking about how you know, these are the elite players in the league, and they're you know, they're it's demanding that kind of money to be an elite player on the field and to play with the Bengals. But what I see here year after year, week after week, month after month, it just seems like it's Groundhog Day for you guys. I mean everyone talks about and had excuses for why they need to do.
Speaker 5: This, why they need to do that, but it's the same thing.
Speaker 31: They wake up every morning thinking, Okay, we're going to be a different team, but it's never gonna It's not gonna happen. So right before the six fifty break, you guys are talking about how it's still a show, how win or lose. You still support the team, still support the franchise. But at the end of the day, man, you've got to put a product on the field.
Speaker 17: And I can't imagine after every year.
Speaker 2: This is what makes for good.
Speaker 10: Talk radio, I guess, is that it's the same thing over and over.
Speaker 31: And you hear the same thing over and over, but nothing ever changes, the same thing where it seems to happen.
Speaker 3: You can say the same thing about every Reds team since nineteen ninety. I mean, it's it's pro sports and the way it is, you know.
Speaker 1: The NFL, everybody who's excited after the Pittsburgh Steelers game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just eleven days ago, and now look at them. It's it's a big bummer team.
Speaker 3: And again, a large part of the team played well. They just had the defense didn't. They couldn't make a key stop, let alone, you know, multiple key stops, and you know, we we do talk a lot about defense. But again, we've had Joe Burrow now for five years. We've had great offensive players for a long time. And that's why I said maybe some of the focus and in the end needs to needs to be on maybe a restructuring of whoever's looking at these players.
Speaker 4: To pick them. I don't know that I know the coaches have never had more input.
Speaker 3: It's not just Duke Tobin. The coaches have never had more input into the players. But Zach is obviously the trump card on the coaching staff and who he wants, and he's opted to get the offensive players and leave the defense a little short handed.
Speaker 31: And we appreciate anything wrong with having demand more from the players. They're making millions of dollars. Yes they're elite, but at some point you have to get to put up with what you're getting paid.
Speaker 6: Out there.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, pride is pride is all you've got, and uh, the way the way it goes in this league is if you if you even if you're getting paid, if you're not getting paid, you don't play, you don't you don't make the team. So you have a bad year, the next year you don't, you don't make the team. And that's what's supposed to happen. Now you've got to go out and find a replacement for the guy. You know, we brought in uh what's his name from the defensive nose tackle from the Patriots turned out, yeah, from the Eagles two years ago. He got to be a bust and they brought Slaton in and Slayton's playing well, but what's the help around him? I think those big runs all came off middle to right side today and I'm not sure who's playing over there, but somebody's not getting the job. And I flat out saw one of those rookie linebackers step up in the hole like you're supposed to him.
Speaker 4: Plat out miss that was.
Speaker 1: That was Barrett Carter, who had a great run earlier in the game, But that and that was a monster run, monster.
Speaker 4: Run at a big time, at a very important time in the game.
Speaker 2: Yes, appreciate the call. Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: We have Uh yeah, let's go ahead and take a break. We'll come back and check out your phone calls. Hey, we are live at the Beachmont Wings and Rings at five O nine, Ohio. Pike, Bruce Kazerski, Chick Ludwig. We're here till eight thirty tonight, and you are listening to the Tri State Chevy Dealer's postgame Sports Talk presented by RNL carriers.
Speaker 2: Bengals fall thirty nine to thirty eight.
Speaker 1: Everybody's upset on seven hundred WLW in Cincinnati, ESPN fifteen thirty. If you are listening to the Tri State Chevy Dealer's post game Sports Talk presented by RNL Carriers, He's Bruce Kazerski.
Speaker 2: This is Chick Ludwig.
Speaker 1: We're live at the Beachmont Wings and Rings, five O nine, Ohio Pike and I want to take this time out to pay tribute to a fallen New York Jets legend. It showed up on the TV screen today. I was an absolute shock at the news that broke that Nick Mangold, an eleven year member of the New York Jets, a Hall of Fame candidate this year died yesterday at the age.
Speaker 2: Of forty one from kidney disease.
Speaker 1: Nick Mangold Kettering Altar High School, the Ohio State University, first round draft pick of the Jets eleven years.
Speaker 2: He is a Jets legend.
Speaker 1: And it's just heartbreaking to hear that a great man, great husband, father, and Nick Mangold passed away at the age of four.
Speaker 2: Won Bruce.
Speaker 3: I hadn't heard that, that's the first time. And he was he was a generational type player for them, Sure was.
Speaker 2: He definitely was.
Speaker 1: And at the same time, here uh the New York Jets center today. Personal friend of the Chicksters from Miamisburg High School, Josh Myers, great player at Miamisburg High School, then at the Ohio State University and in four years as a second round draft pick of the Green Bay Packers, they made the playoffs in three out of four years. They didn't resign him, threw him under the bus, and he signed a one year prove it deal this year with the New York Jets and they went for five hundred offensive yards today.
Speaker 2: What right middle two forty five?
Speaker 1: That center Josh Myers was doing something right as the Jets trample the Bengals.
Speaker 2: For two hundred and fifty four rushing yards today.
Speaker 1: So a tip my cap to my friend Josh Myers Center for the New York Football Chats.
Speaker 4: You know this, this is upsetting. My son showed me a little stat earlier. You bring that up.
Speaker 3: Check, yes, talk about how many when the Bengals have scored thirty eight points? What the what their win totals and losses?
Speaker 1: The totals in fifty six previous seasons, fifty four and four. When they score thirty eight or more points in the last two seasons, one in three.
Speaker 3: Amazing, just incredible, incredible, that's a lot of points. I remember I was doing the Bengals radio after I had retired right away, and Boomer had just come back from the Jets, and uh so he was reinstated as a quarterback as Blake got hurt or somebody got hurt.
Speaker 4: And he goes on a tear, winning win and win and win and winning, and we went some points and he.
Speaker 3: Was throwing them all up and down the field. We scored forty one points and lost.
Speaker 2: Philadelphia, Philadelphia. That's it.
Speaker 3: And I and I met him walking back into the locker room after the game. And he's mattered a hornet and he throws it was a artists. I've ever seen him throw a ball let alone a helmet. He threw it from from one side of the locker room to the other, right, dead solid in his locker, just beside himself.
Speaker 4: That he scored forty one points and losing the NFL.
Speaker 2: He I was in the locker room, he came in, he threw his helmet, I believe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at the defense he said, you guys don't deserve your paychecks.
Speaker 2: That's what he said.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And at that point in his career, he can he can get away with that.
Speaker 11: He was.
Speaker 3: Yes, he was here from eight or nine, and then he went to New York and you know, it worked out great for a few years.
Speaker 2: And then he came back here and he played for Arizona.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he called Arizona Cincinnati and the New York Jets the Bermuda Triangle.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just uh just incredible. Wait hey, uh, just a reminder for fans out there. The postgame sports Talk is brought to you by M and P Logistics. From first down to final mile, M and P delivers.
Speaker 2: You can depend on it.
Speaker 1: And Bruce let's check on Cincinnati's defensive secondary coverage today. Okay, brought to you by coversincey dot com.
Speaker 4: You got that much time left.
Speaker 1: Local health insurance experts for over twenty years.
Speaker 2: All I know is they could have done a better job.
Speaker 3: I would say they could have done a better job. They would look back at this film and say we should have done a better job. And the question is why didn't they do a better job?
Speaker 16: Is it?
Speaker 3: Is it coaching? Is it calls from the sidelines? Is the secondary coaching? Is it the decordator coaching? What is not putting them in position to make those plays? And when they have an opportunity to tackle, why are they missing those tackles?
Speaker 1: Two and forty eight passing yards for the Jets, two hundred and fifty four rushing yards for the Jets. It was a tough day all around for the defense and the secondary got burned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's that simple.
Speaker 1: And that's the defensive secondary coverage report brought to you by coversince he dot com cover Cincinnati cover since he has you covered with Affordable health Insurance plan for over twenty years. And let's go back out to the phones. We have Bill in Cincinnati Bill, Are you there?
Speaker 7: Yes, I am.
Speaker 29: I have a few comments and say if Bruce to comment on them, because I look at the game and I always wonder are the coaching adjustments during the game when we're being out coached and when we look at conditioning. I mean they they the deefense dominated the first quarter and then to get three touchdowns for them, And is there a condition issue with the.
Speaker 4: Beggess, No, it's not. These are some of the most well conditioned athletes in the world.
Speaker 7: Okay, and what was your next question?
Speaker 29: Well, and T Higgins had one catch, two targets, thirty three passes and Chase had thirteen targets. So I know in the pass it seems like they would use T. Higgins if Chase is double team, they would come in and that Chase was being doumble team. But in a city would going to T Higgins? And you know more during the game, especially uh, you know, and in that in the fourth quarter, is there uh when when in a tasty being double team that he was trying to I.
Speaker 4: Would think T would say the same thing.
Speaker 3: I would say, Hey, you know, he's got a lot of opportunities and and I'm and I'm not I can I could beat that guy, you know, I need to get more opportunities. But as I said earlier in one of the phone callers talked about the running and passing plays, some of those ones that that Jamar catches because.
Speaker 4: He's such a great runner with the ball.
Speaker 3: Afterwards, they throw him the ball quickly and it's more just a long handoff as it turns into a it's a passing play that turns into a running play for five or six yards, and then that's something that that tea doesn't do as well, and so t is more of a down the field, crossing the field routes and and Jamar can do that because he's such an athletic running running after the catch.
Speaker 1: Well, when there was a time when he had a key drop in the UH late in this game, Jamar and but also.
Speaker 3: Late in the game, Fan disappeared. You know, they were trolling to throw the ball to Yoshi Vash and I can visually see four plays in the last several weeks that he's dropped the ball. And I don't know that he's the most reliable in that situation, but I certainly think fant Or or Hudson would have been an option.
Speaker 2: Three targets, no catches for Andre josebash today.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Again, you could look at this film, and I can tell you from a coach's perspective, you look at this and say, man if I had just done that, and that happens in about ten plays a game, especially when you're when you lose a close game like this, it might have only been a handful of plays. When you when you're getting blown out, you can second guess every play you make, and do you learn over time? You can't dwell on what happened. I made the call. It wasn't executed properly, and that's what the players should think. The call was made and all we had to do was execute it better. And in the plays there, whether the ball's high or the ball is low, by the by the by the quarterback, whether the receiver dropped it, whether the running back didn't hit the hole properly. It could be offensive line missed the block for the first time all day, and all sudden he becomes a spotlight.
Speaker 30: Right.
Speaker 4: You have to see what happened on film to to figure out what happens.
Speaker 1: All I can think about when you mentioned that is the great quote from John McKay. The first Tampa Bay head coach. Coach, how do you feel about your team's execution?
Speaker 2: I'm all for it. Yes, Hey, we've reached the top of the hour parade.
Speaker 1: We are live, hat Yeah, we are live at the Beachmont Wings and Rings, five oh nine Ohio Pike. You're listening to the Tri State Chevy Dealers post game sports Talk presented by RNL Carriers.
Speaker 2: He's Bruce Kazerski.
Speaker 1: This is the Chickster chick Lodwig on seven hundred WLW and Cincinnati's ESPN fifteen thirty.
Speaker 15: This is the Tri Stage Chevy Dealer's post games sports Talk live from Buffalo Wings and Rings, presented by R and L Carriers. Post games sports Talk is brought to you in part by Hello Indoor Making life brighter, Pella Now pay Later Carrier and your local carrier dealers turn to the experts. Carrier Cincinnati Tax Resolution powered by Tove Sheldon five one three five one three, top h Postman law Injured call eight four to four Postman, Others promise Postman delivers R and L Carriers. Visit RLC dot com and make R and L Carriers your global transportation provider and by your Tri state Chevy Dealers, the number one selling brand in Cincinnati for nine straight years and now host games sports talk.
Speaker 1: We are live at the Beachmont Wings and Rings five O nine, Ohio Pike, and you are listening to the Tri State Chevy Dealer's post game Sports Talk, presented by RNL Carriers. This is Chick Ludwig and I'm alongside Bengals legend Bruce Pizerski. We're not only talking about the bengals thirty nine to thirty eight loss to the New York Jets at pay Corpse Stadium today, but really all things football, and Bruce, you gotta be happy for the University of Cincinnati Bearcats ranked seventeenth now after that big win over Baylor on Saturday.
Speaker 4: That was great.
Speaker 3: It's great. It's great to see the enthusiasm in town. They're playing great. You know, there's other teams around playing great as well. You know, I had two kids of mine that went to Louisville. They're playing great football. UC is playing great, Ohio State's playing great. The Midwest right here where we live, the part of the country that we live is just fantastic. It's got great football, great sports, and it's fun to.
Speaker 4: Be part of it.
Speaker 1: You see up to seventeenth now with the seven and one record, seven consecutive victories, and now they go against Utah in the late game ten fifteen on Saturday night.
Speaker 3: This is the one right here, this is the one we've been waiting for a long time. If they can pull this one off and then they're for real, this is this is again. They have had some great games in town. Now they got to travel on the road, put all those all the side all the side trimmings away, and focus really wholeheartedly on the game plan. And sometimes it's easier for a team to do that, and sometimes it's not. We'll see what this team has made of. I'm really excited for them.
Speaker 1: It'll be Salt Lake City on Saturday night, ten fifteen, kickoff. The number twenty four uts against the number seventeen UC Bearcats. You mentioned Louisville up to sixteen and uh miolma mater, the Ohio State University number one and breathing right down their net.
Speaker 3: The Indiana Indiana Hoosier's boy. They playing great football man. They took dynamic, that quarterback is dynamic. They took UC later the woodshed they did they of course, you know It's nice to get a team like UCL in your house. They were hot coming in. They'd beat Penn State, and they'd beat somebody else really really good out there on the coast. But boy, you get it, bring them in here into town and you'll whip them. That's that's fine.
Speaker 1: Hey, we appreciate our producers back in the Kenwood studios. We started out with Wiam Tomlinson and he has handed the baton to our very own Danny Gleason.
Speaker 4: Danny Gleason in the building.
Speaker 1: Danny is uh spearheading us all the way down this half hour, and we appreciate that Liam Tomlinson's support tonight. And uh, hey, let's go out to the phones and welcome in Brian. Who's who's driving?
Speaker 2: Brian? Are you there?
Speaker 28: I am thanks to Tay McCall's been a good right to listening.
Speaker 20: To you guys.
Speaker 24: You know, just one to times, just going.
Speaker 10: To kind of like jump on you.
Speaker 28: Obviously the defense is just obviously horrific. Needs need a lot of fixing.
Speaker 32: But I really want to call out two specific people because I've heard a lot of, you know, a lot of talk in the last couple of games on broadcasts about how DJ Turner and dak Shill are getting better and I got him wonder you know, they're going up in practice against the arguably two of the best receivers in the league and survey on the team, and I just don't understand how they can't get better if they're facing Chase and.
Speaker 28: Higgins in practice.
Speaker 27: Or is that the chasing Higgins.
Speaker 28: Are demoralizing him so bad that they can't get it together in a game. Well, what I keep coming back to is that they're living through game in and game out, that Michigan knew what plays were coming and cheated under our ball.
Speaker 6: I'll turn it back to you guys, and.
Speaker 1: Just the inconsistency from week to week by our by the defense.
Speaker 3: I have been really impressed with Turner's play this this year. I think he's much improved today that we just saw the replay up on the video screen coming across one of the networks. Uh, the touchdown that put them ahead at the end of the game. He was in the guy's face, but he wasn't looking at the ball right. You know, I know what man coverages, but the guy had he was on the back line. He had nowhere to go turn around and find the ball, and he didn't, and the guy who's reached out straight up over his head and caught it.
Speaker 2: It's it.
Speaker 3: I think certainly, if he had seen a company, he would have batted it away. It's it's just an unfortunate It's an unfortunate thing that happened today. I think I think he's I don't think he's as big a culprit as it was on that one play. I think it's overblown. I think a lot of the issues were the other side of the coverage. The other's the second side he and I don't want to put names into it because I'm not sure of all who they were, but there's too many mistackles by the left side of the defensive backfield, no doubt.
Speaker 1: Hey do we have Craig again or is Craig back from El Paso?
Speaker 27: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I'm here with you all right, Craig. What's going on?
Speaker 6: Ada? I wanted to call in talk about a quote that cobn said this offseason, But the last thing he was going to do was drum the same defense out there at the more extensive rates. Yeah, that's exactly what has happened. I know Caler earlier talked about how he does the little thing or the things well, like drafting Burrow and Chase and guys at top of the draft about how I need to play in the margins. Well, when they play in the margins, they get guys like McKinley, Jackson, and Burn who have both been healthy scratches almost every game this year. I know Jackson healthy for like one I think have been up. Other times have all been healthy stratches. Yet I'm hearing you guys as these codes. Sounds like you're tearing the water pretty hard for Duke Cobin here. Yeah, we have quite a bit of it. Okay, we have surface levels.
Speaker 25: Talent may not be there.
Speaker 6: Okay, that's an issue. Next year's coaching might be an issue.
Speaker 30: Sure.
Speaker 6: Above that is the personnel people. They're not doing their jobs. It sounds like you guys are defending them pretty hard. And I'm really lost what your guy's angle is, because time after time, the only thing I think Duke Cobin does well it makes trade. They've made like four in my entire life. Some of just not your life. Feels like you guys are standing up for some guy that is not caring his weight.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm not sure Duke Tobin was second a snap in the NFL in a long period of time. You judge talent by what you see on film, you scout them live in person in college. You get the best talent you can. And it's not just their ability that you're your your talent ability that you're scouting. You're you're you're as a scout, you're talenting scouting. But the same people, your scouts across the league that are still ranking these players as highly as you are.
Speaker 4: You're in a position to take these guys and they're just not panning out. Now.
Speaker 3: That has to do more with development. That has to do with the people that they're walking into that are showing them how to play these positions. A lot of the best players, in fact, the ones I've been around, learned how to play from watching great players. And that's the hardest thing to get rolling. You're you're trying to be a good defensive defensive lineman watching the defensive linemen that are playing in front of you, and you're not seeing great defensive play, you know what I'm saying. And so it's the coach can he's not on the field he teaches, He's teaching you the same thing he's teaching. They all Pro defensive tackle. But they all pro is getting the recognition he's making a tackle, you're.
Speaker 4: Not learning it.
Speaker 3: And so now now you remove that that quality defensive lineman in front of you, you're learning from what the the the the omen work guy in front of you is doing.
Speaker 4: So you're not learning from any guy any better than you are. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So it's it comes down to who are you learning the game from? And it it should be the development of the coaching staff, and it's not. It's not happening.
Speaker 1: Hey, appreciate the call. We could talk about this like forever. Yes, it's uh, it's personnel. It from the top down. Everything has to be analyzed. All I know is they look great against the Steelers and didn't look so great today.
Speaker 3: I was I was a ninth round pick and I had a great offensive line. Coach made me a great player. I mean, bottom line is is the offensive line that I played with had. Anthony Munius was the only first round pick and our our left yard was a a eighth round pick. I was a ninth round pick. Max Montoya was a sixth round pick. Joe Walter was a seventh round pick and turned out to be one of the best offensive linemen and lines of team history for a long period of time. And it's because of the line coach coaching, Billy and Jim McNally. Yes, you know, I think Scott Peters has developed this offensive line. Finally he's gotten in their head and they figured out what he wants. Now we gotta get the same thing that happened on the defensive line, the linebackers and secondary and then it's not happening yet. If it's gonna happen this year, it better happens soon or heads are gonna roll.
Speaker 1: Hey, let's review today's Postman Law injury report. Bruce brought to you by Postman Law Injured called eight four to four Postman. Others promise, Postman delivers well. Shaka Hayward went out in the first half with I think they called it a phibiate a tibia or fibula injury, so it's a leg injury.
Speaker 2: And gone for the rest of the game.
Speaker 1: Yes, Joe Flacco went out late in this game after he got sacked with an apparent shoulder injury. He went into the locker room evidently got a sleeve or some kind of brace or whatever, and uh, and then Trey Hendrickson re injured his hip.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: May I may be completely mistaken about Flacco, but I thought he got knocked down against Pittsburgh and hurt his shoulder.
Speaker 4: But it was his non throwing shoulder. They did the same thing, put a sleeve on it.
Speaker 3: I think me and me, up to a week of practice or ten days, it was feeling good enough to not use that sleeve. But I think he got knocked down again in the same shoulder was giving him a fit. It didn't hurt him from throwing, but he couldn't go out there without it, and so they went in the locker and put it on. And he's too too much of a veteran to let that effect the outcome. He would have said, certainly, I can't throw, I can't deliver this. He would have said, he's he's a proven player with eighteen years of experience, and those kind of guys they don't go down easy.
Speaker 1: Well, Dylan Fairchild went out briefly. He got kicked in the shin at the two minute warning in the in the first half, so he came back. So we'll see as the week progresses. You know what kind of shape they're in.
Speaker 3: Physical yeah, I'd be one that we're gonna lose Hendrickson for a few weeks, but those Hipstone heel quickly. You're absolutely right, and they play Chicago next week and then to buy that's important.
Speaker 4: That's a big week to get back at healthy again.
Speaker 2: No doubt.
Speaker 1: And that's today's Postman Law Injury Report, brought to you by Postman Law Injured called eight four to four Postman Others promise Postman delivers.
Speaker 2: Hey do we have a Scott in Fort Thomas? Yeah?
Speaker 25: Hi, guys, how you doing this evening?
Speaker 2: But we're doing all right all things consider.
Speaker 30: Hey, just a comment one of your previous callers that called in talking about the tackling and that some of the college players that were good tacklers during college and they moved on to the pros and it seems like they forgot how to tackle.
Speaker 6: And what I'm seeing, if you guys can comment, is.
Speaker 30: Instead of hitting guys low and wrapping them up and getting them off the ground, I see a lot of the defensive backs, especially they're hit them high, trying to slow them down, uh, and then trying to strip the ball with other players combining in on that and the whole time the player with the ball, whether it's a running back or receiver, is gaining yardage.
Speaker 17: Are you guys seeing that or not?
Speaker 3: I think that may be one of the biggest illnesses across the entire league is is these coaches preached turnover so much. They want the ball punched out, and now they've got everybody punching at the ball or grabbing at the ball, and nobody's truly making the tackle. And if you just put the guy on the ground, you might be able to get the ball out later or on the way down.
Speaker 21: Uh.
Speaker 3: But they're just not focusing on tackling. They want to make the big play, the turnover, get get their name in the and the lights. But that's what the coaches are teaching nowadays, is one guy, hold them up and you pull it out or punch it out the big Yeah.
Speaker 30: And then going back to when I was a kid playing junior league football in high school, you know was form tackling. We come in slow and you know, you hit them low, wrap them up, get their feet off the ground. And what's your feet are off the ground, They can't go anywhere, right.
Speaker 3: I think that's a whole bunch to do with it, is they're just many. They so much emphasis on turnovers and I think it's really hurting a lot of the performances.
Speaker 2: He appreciate your call.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah it mattered.
Speaker 3: I just I just again one of the breaks a little of the network coverage, and uh, one of our defensive backs goes on and is talking about how they the defense didn't get done today.
Speaker 4: Well they know it didn't have to explain it.
Speaker 3: Now they've got to figure out how to fix it or else we're going to see the same thing next week against the team that.
Speaker 4: We should beat.
Speaker 2: All right, Scott, appreciate the call. And do we have Kim and Anderson? Hello, Hi Kim, Hi Kim?
Speaker 6: All right, Bruce.
Speaker 20: I could not let half of my family be there with you in person and not call in and.
Speaker 2: Talk to you.
Speaker 4: How are you, Kim? They had they had, they ate, well.
Speaker 20: I mean, I'm glad. I'm glad.
Speaker 2: I think they were with great company.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they had great company at that table they missed.
Speaker 18: I think they're coming back.
Speaker 20: So hey, I'm here. I've been listening, and I think that we are being really hard on these Bengals because.
Speaker 9: It's been such a roller coaster of a season.
Speaker 20: You know, they came out of the out of the gates, doing really good. Joe Burrows out, We're doing terrible. We get Joe Flacco, we're back endings right, and then when you lose today, it's it's extra heartbreaking. But you know, the Jets are having the exact same conversations that we're having about our defense. You know, they're having it about everything, and you know what, we have got to get all of our guys firing on all.
Speaker 18: Cylinders at the same time, and that's just not what's happening right now, and get us.
Speaker 10: The Jets did it today and they.
Speaker 2: Did their jobs.
Speaker 3: That's completely the story. Again, if you look at the first two wins that we had, they weren't really resounding wins. They'd beat Cleveland because their rookie kicker missed a couple of kicks, an extra point and the field goal. They pulled him out. We gave him credit for winning because we don't win early in the season. We got two games under our belt, win and the win, call him early in the season. Then we fill on that four game streak. I understand a little like Joe Burrow concussion syndrome, when the team had to realize they were going to be without Joe for the bulk of the season.
Speaker 4: And so now they got this guy comes in.
Speaker 3: Here out of nowhere with an eighteen year history, knowing what he's going to see because he's seen it everywhere else. He's rebuilt programs everywhere else. And now they're thriving again. An offense, but the defense virtually all season long.
Speaker 4: Hasn't made place.
Speaker 3: And it's it's it's got to fix change, And I don't know how you fix it the mid season. I fear for what happens the rest of the way because while they want to do well, they have to, they have to go out there and perform better, and they're not. It's got to look for and say, how do I get better myself? Yeah, especially we've.
Speaker 9: Sat at enough ballfields together and watched enough sports, you know together that if.
Speaker 20: Everybody's not doing their job, the job doesn't get done.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But it's you know Chicksman's saying all day, all day long. You know, the proof is in the out is in the outcome. We're talking talk radio, great talker, are losing teams make great talk radio?
Speaker 2: They do this. This show has flown by.
Speaker 4: We're here, We're here to hear you crying and boy, we've heard it tonight. Thanks for calling.
Speaker 2: Hey, Kim, thanks so much for for calling. We appreciate it. Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 1: And a reminder for fans out there, the postgame sports talk has brought you in part by AE Door and Window Company.
Speaker 2: They sell the best and service the rest. Well.
Speaker 1: Now, hey's the Chicago Bears coming in. And as tough as it is today, man, you gotta.
Speaker 4: You can't lose both these teams back to back to back.
Speaker 2: I mean uh, And you're close to saying that this Bears game coming up, it has to be a best win.
Speaker 4: How rare is it?
Speaker 3: But both these both coaches head coaches, the Jets and now the Bears. We're on the Lions staff last year. A guy that played for me with at Holy Cross High School is linebacker for the Lions, and he knows both of these guys. They're great, fantastic guys, fantastic coaches, and they're gonna turn those programs around. It can't happen two weeks in a row to the Bengals. We got to beat them before they turn these programs around.
Speaker 4: No doubt.
Speaker 1: And it says Chicago Bears next week and then the following week is a bye week, So you want to go into the bye week with some gosh, some positivity in some momentum.
Speaker 3: How much momentum with three wins in a row, Huh, Well, that's out of the gate. But we can't lose two in a row, for sure. Sure, I think if Flacco can get us through this burrowless era without two losses in a row, he's done his job and we're very grateful to have him.
Speaker 2: No doubt.
Speaker 1: And just look at you at the standings here in the AFC North. The Pittsburgh Steelers at four and two, the Cincinnati Bengals now at three and five, the Ravens are two and five, and the Browns are two and six. Mandy, there's a lot of carnage there in the AFC North, So there's still an opportunity, and.
Speaker 3: We still have so many games against those opponents, and so that's that's where the whole juggernaut is gonna either turn in the wins or snowballing the losses. And then you know, if you're a Cincinnati fan, you you know, you know where, you know where your heart is. It's just got to happen on the field. Then, believe me, they're gonna bring their best. The question is is their best good enough? It's any given Sunday thing right now.
Speaker 1: Two and zero in the Division, three and two in the Conference for the Bengals, but once.
Speaker 2: Again two and two at home. You have to win home games.
Speaker 4: Yeah. You got to own your you got to own your property, your your real estates.
Speaker 2: Yours is.
Speaker 3: And we've had teams come in here and and uh one under Flacco, one without Flacco.
Speaker 1: But it's time and it all starts again next week against the Chicago Bears and then uh wow, off to a bye week and then you got to play the Steelers the road. There won't be any revenge in that one, oh man, can you imagine? And this is the part of the schedule where they got to make Hay who is the chats.
Speaker 4: And bare supposed to happen?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and it hasn't.
Speaker 4: It has it.
Speaker 3: It's it's unfortunate. But those are the cards that have been played. Now you got to, you know, play the ones that are still on the deck a little bit better.
Speaker 1: Paying on behalf of my partner Bruce Kazerski, and are on site engineer Mike Mills. This is chick Ludwig saying thanks for listening to the Tri State Chevy Dodros postgame sports talk presented by RNL carriers. We have been live at the Beachmont Wings and Rings five o nine, Ohio Pike on seven hundred WLW and Cincinnati's ESPN fifteen thirty