Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Basse or Dodger Talk. The Dodgers are back home and nobody's happier than three time World Series champion and brand new girl dad Freddie Freeman London Rosemary Joy Freeman in his arms when he got home last night from San Francisco. Thanks a lot for the time, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: That is all true. So it was awesome. It's good to be home. And I held her all day today too.
Speaker 1: As as little boys, we always think about, oh we want to have a boy too, But can you describe the piece of your heart now having a little baby girl.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean we're five days in and all day I was holding her and I was just staring at her. It's just kind of you're just enamored. You know, you three boys, now you got a little girl. So it's it's definitely a little different. But everyone keeps telling me I'm going to be wrecked, and and I say every every spond, I can't wait to be wrecked. It's it's she's just so perfect and we're just so happy and blessed that she's here. And you know, it's just a lot of staring at her right now.
Speaker 1: Fair to say this is the first Freeman baby as a Dodger.
Speaker 2: That is correct, Yes, yeah, that is, and it will be the last one. There's there's no more. We are, Chelsea and I are officially done. So four kids, three boys, one girls, and we're loving every second of it. All.
Speaker 1: Right, let's talk a little baseball, Freddie. You've been through so many seasons, world championship seasons. You understand how to navigate it better than most. What's the balance of not putting into cruise control but also understanding it's not just about now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, like I understand, there's no one that's coming here that's not trying to win every single game. So the cruise control, I think there's no such thing for us in the in our in our clubhouse, we're trying to win every single game every single night. Dogs trying to manage that way too, and we're trying to make it be a point where he has to go for it everything that you don't want to be in a spot where you're like, oh, maybe we'll just like save this guy for this day. But but he has to do that too, because we've got to keep everybody healthy. So it is hard. It's hard to navigate one hundred and sixty two games schedule. We're in obviously where I think we're in thirteen in a row two, So there's bullpen guys or that are going to be throwing a lot more than they normally are. So that's why Tyler going eight innings, Actually it was huge. It gives guys days off that in a course of thirteen games in a rows is huge for us, especially this early in the season where most starters aren't going deep into games. So when you have our starters going deep into games like our guys have been going, that's huge, and that could lead a ripple effect throughout the course of the season where maybe in end of May when we're in a stretch that that realief feature can pitch instead of being too pitched too much early in the season. So there's a lot of ripple effects. There's a lot of mini games inside the games that we're trying to win also, so it's a lot it's I mean, we can go on and on about little things here and here and there of our course of one sixty two, but where we try to win every single night. Obviously, there's no there's no doubt about that. But sometimes you just got to manage workloads a little early in the season. So that's why maybe on day games you see some guys off, like Will Is getting a lot more days off right now, just because Dalton's obviously playing really well, but also to keep Will fresh throughout the course of the season. So there's a lot that has to be managed that most fans don't know what's going on, and sometimes they get a little upset at us, but ultimately everyone is trying to do the best they can to be healthy, ready and ready to go in October.
Speaker 1: I'll say this with all due respect because there's no signs of you slowing down. But I love how you mentioned everybody else getting a day off except yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I just had to, so that's good. That's all I need. I'm good for the rest of the year now. No, I feel good. I really do. I know age and all that people talk about it, but I really do feel good this year. It was nice to have a normal offseason. My body feels good and I just had two days off, so I don't need any days off. So that's the goal. It's just if you can stay healthy as much as you can, and we're all gonna have akes and pains here and there. Day games after night games are tough to traveling thirteen in a row. Most people were getting on planes going here and there, getting in late sometimes, so you just try and stay as ready as possible. But yeah, I don't need a day off yet. Okay, love it.
Speaker 1: And he's in there today for sure as the number two hitter. Kyle Tucker's now the cleanup hitter. You're the hitter betting behind Otaani. Does anything change for you and do you feel like this is going to benefit Tucker?
Speaker 2: Nothing changes for me. I don't care where I hit. Sometimes it is just maybe just a different look that someone needs. You know, Kyle is an exceptional player, four time all start in a row, and we have no doubt that he's going to be that player too. Sometimes, and of course a season, sometimes you got a shuffull lineup. My first year here, I was hitting third and I hit second. You just switch to make things work. And sometimes, like Doc said, you just need a different look, different different setting. Maybe not coming up so fast in the first inning. Maybe you just sit for a second and then go up and hit fourth, and then you look at what he did yesterday. Yeah, his swing looked good a couple of barrel balls, so hopefully we can get him going. And for me, it's it doesn't really matter. I'm usually swinging pre pre swinging it. And you know, if they walk show Hey to get to me, I love it. That's in my mind. That's RBI opportunities, so I want those, So I hope they intentionally walk them a lot more.
Speaker 1: I kind of remember Game one of the World Series a couple of years ago when they did that.
Speaker 2: They walked Mookie to get me to be But for me, I love that. I know that's part of the game, and people are like, oh, I keep no, Like, if they're walking Show that means there's usually a guy on second base and that's a free baby. That means there's a guy in scoring position, which I love guys in corp position. I want to hit him in. So I love that. So maybe me behind him right now is is good. So hopefully we can get show Hey going too. So maybe we can all get going at the same time and roll off a hot streak.
Speaker 1: Here, what about this layer. Freddie Freeman is our guest before first pitch between the Dodgers and Cubs.
Speaker 2: You are the.
Speaker 1: Epitome of not looking at iPad looking at the picture, and you are the epitome of bringing back a scanner report back to the dugout. How much could that help Kyle?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it's it's a lot. I've I've always been that. I've never really been an iPad guy. I just feel like watching the game you can learn more than slowing down your swing. I think everyone knows when you do something wrong and pop a ball up, you kind of know how that swing went to do that. So I think that we've actually done a really good job of that starting in spring training, of coming back and talking about pictures and maybe Kyle seeing how they pitched Show Hey and I now will help him, you know, as he gets to the when he's sitting in the four hole, so you have two left handed hit that he can watch and see how they're attacking and what they're doing and more. Watching the game is only going to help you in my opinion, So it's worked for me. So maybe Kyle can see how they pud Show Hey and I, and he can take that into his bat and we can get him going.
Speaker 1: All right, Freddie, thanks a lot for the time. You don't have any bags underneath your eyes, so I'm glad you get in some sleepy.
Speaker 2: And not yet. She's doing pretty good at the night every few hours, so we'll talk to me a couple of weeks and see how we're doing well.
Speaker 1: She's lucky to have Freddie Freeman as her dad, and we're lucky to have you in Los Angeles and keep it going. The future Hall of Famer knows something about hitting. Kyle Tucker can take some notes.
Speaker 2: Oh jeez, thank you, David. I'm only going to come in on the first part.