Speaker 1: Good News Junkie starts now.
Speaker 2: It is Friday, July seventeen, twenty twenty six. Lots to get to today, from the truth about the smoke to a bizarre test explosion causes chaos, and a Today's Show anchor gets blindsided.
Speaker 1: By a madman.
Speaker 2: Plus your calls, dispatches, emails, texts. Sam more Selin is here, helloshes with us, and.
Speaker 1: So are you.
Speaker 2: You can send us a dispatch over at thenewsjunkie dot com right now.
Speaker 1: You can also watch the show on YouTube.
Speaker 2: And twitch dot tv. Slash the News Junkie. Your message is rolling the right of the studio in real time. And this never ever ever happens. Friends, what happened? I can't believe it. We have a last minute message. Let me just dust this off in check. It's from that porta potty Karen lady. Let's see what she said.
Speaker 1: Wait, Friday. We did it.
Speaker 2: Ere We made a way through a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday has arrived. So patch yourself on the back. Congratulations. They said you couldn't do it, but I knew you could all along. I believed in you, and we've arrived at Friday. We're gonna have some fun today. How is everybody doing on a Friday?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Good, Yeah, I'm good. You're not doing good, are you? I can read right through this. No, I'm real good.
Speaker 4: Are you?
Speaker 1: Only because you've already had he's had shots already. That could be the reason, Orange Jaeger, you're an alcoholic ceiling. Okay, we will take a seat. Take a seat. We need to discuss this all right. On Monday week, he says, one day week wide, one day we drinking in the morning. Yeah, yeah, I work to say you can when somebody calls you an alcohol you can't just say one day week and and think that that pertains to all of it. Works.
Speaker 2: I didn't say it pertains to all of it. I just said one day a week.
Speaker 1: So they sit you down and then you just go one day a week, one day a week. All right, Okay, we'll see what happens. Got a good show in store for you today, some interesting conversations on the way. But right now, let's start off as we always do. Let's put our ears of the ground, our fingers on the pulse, lit, see what's happening in this great, big, wide world of ours. And I introduce you to Jimothy, the great new viral sensation. Everybody in Seattle, Washington in particular, is following the trials and tribulations of Jimothy the raccoon. All right, Jimothy is a very strange raccoon. There's something wrong with him, if I'm honest with you. And they keep photographing and recording short videos of this viral raccoon all across Seattle. I put him up on see it now so you could take a look. But here's a little peek into the world of Jimithy that I'll explain. What am I looking at? What the hell is that? Fake? He's not fake.
Speaker 2: He's a real, bona fide raccoon. Everybody.
Speaker 1: He just happened to be shorter than all the other raccoons and a little stubbier than the other It looks like a chicken, he does, Josh, he does look like a rotissary chicken. You're right. I also think he kind of looks like that guy from uh yeah, Big Ed from I can say, yeah, it looks like a like that, but a raccoon a little bit there. There's a lot going on in the world of Jimothy, and people are now chronicling this little guy, this stubby little raccoon, as he runs all around the Seattle area. And I saw a post about him and it says, uh, the main star of American social media has become a round raccoon named Jimothy, who suffers from let's look this up, guys, short limb syndrome, short limb thin which I know somebody who actually has this. A human. His name is Chaos.
Speaker 2: He's a fan of the show and he has that short limb syndrome or SLS.
Speaker 1: It told me about it before. It's brutal, but I guess they can get it when they're raccoons too. After the first videos, many people thought that a chupa cabra was running around Seattle, but zoologists explain that the raccoon has a rare congenital disease. What do we know about this short limb syndrome, guys, it's the most common form of short limbed dwarfism. Oh, it's a dwarfism.
Speaker 2: I mean this is that I just googled short limb syndrome, and I think it's assuming that I'm asking about humans and not necessarily raccoons characterized by average sized trunk, disproportionately shortened upper arms and thighs, larger head with a prominent forehead to Yeah, this is all tell you short lim syndrome raccoons.
Speaker 1: That's fine. Let me see, I'll get I'll get this story up from K I R. Seven and see what they say about this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're talking about a very odd looking raccoon.
Speaker 6: People are now calling Jimmy, Jimmy, Yeah, Jack, will you went looking.
Speaker 1: For that creature?
Speaker 5: He joins his life in Ballad right now.
Speaker 1: Bro, don't talk about him like this. Listen, this is like a very bizarre looking they're looking for the creature out there. This is Jimmy's him. Jack.
Speaker 7: Oh, we looked hard, but he did not turn up. Probably sleeping right now because raccoon Bro.
Speaker 2: They sent Jack out on the street to look for one raccoon.
Speaker 1: The whole of Seattle. I went to journalism school.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 9: He's muttering all sorts of expletives before they cut.
Speaker 1: To this particular guys like that. Look, I'm out here hitting the streets and I got to find one short little raccoon.
Speaker 7: They're all nocturnal, but just because we didn't see him in the day, he's not out there because he is all over social media. Take a look. An Instagram post launched the animal into fame. It's it's more than three hundred thousand likes. Since then, other people have taken to the web to post their sightings of this animal they called Jimothy.
Speaker 1: Like this clip of the ractor, you have a tail. He doesn't have a tail at all. He's just squashed.
Speaker 2: Now, this is a visual, so go look at it on and see it now over on the news junkie dot com or in the app and you'll see it over there. Somebody says short spine syndrome. Is that another way to say this short limb syndrome? It might be because Google has never heard of a raccoon having a medical condition called short limb syndrome.
Speaker 1: Get with it, Google, we got some happening right now. Maybe the article got the syndrome wrong.
Speaker 7: I spoke to neighbors who are eager to soon have a sighting of their own.
Speaker 1: They want to see the racket has some sort of physical abnormality.
Speaker 8: Kind of looks a little bit like a cryptidute.
Speaker 1: Hearing that word about this cryptid what does that mean to you?
Speaker 5: Yeah, kind of almost a little supernatural.
Speaker 1: This is what you thought you were going to be doing in journalism school. This is your had in mind high as hell. She woked up, hit the bong and there's a microphone in her face from k I r O News and they're like, what do you think about the tiny little raccoon guy? He just he's the sweetest little thing. So they love him. Over there. You'll see him out there. They're talking about it being a Jimothy summer. Hot Jimothy Summer is underway, lots of different merch popping up already. You may see this out there in the next couple of days. So remember Jimothy. Good luck out there. It's tough being a raccoon to begin with, especially when you're a little tiny, short one. Did you find the new diseas er?
Speaker 10: Now?
Speaker 2: Sorry, there's a thing called micromelia, which means abnormally small limbs. Maybe that's what Jimithy has. You don't have that yo, regular sized limbs, right mac. It would be hilarious if you did, though.
Speaker 1: If if you were the same sea lane through and through, but your are and legs were like one fourth of the size, Oh my god, I mean, if it was just the arms that'd be like a t Rex. I know. That's why it would be awesome watching you do your segment later, trying to hold the stories with your little t Rex arms and see o man, Yeah, like see this would be the stream would be exploding, right, Yeah, that would be great. There's a lot of people waking up to a very smoky sky, people recording the guys and wondering what's going on here, what's happening? Blame Canada, as the song goes, blame Canada, because the Canada wildfires, the Canadian wildfires, they are what's causing all of this smoke in the Northeast and the Midwest. This is I think Cleveland, Ohio. It's wild looking.
Speaker 11: Man.
Speaker 1: I was talking about the apocalypse yesterday.
Speaker 2: Like it's wild, dick, Dick. It is the worst day of air quality in the history of.
Speaker 1: The city of Chicago today because of this. It is the worst day in the history of the city of Chicago for air quality because these fires prompted all this smoke. It's very weird because we kind of started the week off with the Canadian train conductor dudes who were cruising through the fire, and now America is dealing with that on our side. Once again because of Canada. Dammit, are they still training through that fire or did they halt that now? I sure hope they made it through Sea Lane. They are shutting down a lot of other places. Cedar Point, I don't even know where this theme park is.
Speaker 2: It's Ohio? Is it y Cedar Point in Ohio? Is Air Point is a legendary feed park.
Speaker 1: For roller coasters. Why is it open? I mean it's thick, buddy, there's still roller coasters going. This looks like they turned on old roller coasters in the Last of Us. Yeah, like that does. Like in the new season of the Last of Us they learn how to power on an old theme park where everything comes to life and then you're going around riding these things. That's literally what it looks like. It's smoky and very much the end of the world looking. And then I had one more. There was a bunch even in New York, New York City, the Statue of Liberty covered in this smoke, all because the Canadians, they've got so much land and they don't do a good job of thinning things out, And the smoke constantly comes from at least well not constantly, but at least like once or twice a year. It comes down from Canada over the United States, and I think a lot of the East Coast will end up seeing it at some point this weekend. So there you go. They're intensifying as the flame spread. Is this ABC? ABC just showing some more visuals in a very dramatic way. Yeah, the fires are still burning, like the fires at the source of all of this over by Lake Tamarack and Canada. That's where this is all coming from. So we'll keep an eye on that. Stories about where this is all coming from we'll be coming up shortly on the show today. Gripping images though all over the place as a result of that. Now, let's go to a couple of emails to kick us off here on a Friday, Tips at the Newsjunki dot com and Steve emails about the stomach bug cyclospora making the rounds and it's a literal stomach bug like it's a tiny, little, microscopic little creature that ends up usually on your produce and goes into your stomach. And Steve says, yes, you should watch your produce, but this one you have to cook it to kill the parasite. Soap and water won't even do it. Wiggle wiggle pop pop, he says. Then he says, first time reaching out to you guys. So I don't know if that was the right time to use the wiggle pop thing, but uh yeah, you know nailed it. You did it right. Here's the thing. There is no right way to do it. It's just a weird thing that our listeners started doing years ago and they continue to do to this very day. Steve. Not only are you right about that, here's the weird thing that the media outlets don't want to tell you about, cyclospora. They're going to try to hype you, fear you, get you scared. They're going to say, you know, all these things are responsible, like possibly Taco Bell because Taco Bell is really in the targets today and some new information that's come out. But here's the deal. I looked into this a little bit more. Cyclospora. I'm not Alex Jones here. This is true. This is real. You can verify everything I'm saying and look it up. All right, it makes frogs gay. It doesn't make frogs gay as far as I know. I haven't tried it yet. Days not over. But cyclospora the thing that's making people sick with this explosive diarrhea. Sorry, that's just what the news reports say. Is not like so many other of these things that can make you sick from your produce, which generally are issues that affect livestock like cattle. And the cattle will usually be a upstream from where they're growing a lot of the produce on these farms, and it could be in like California or in you know, like all all different states have these these big produce farms, and the livestock will be upstream, and then the cows will get these sicknesses, and the cows will actually go to the back, they'll poop, the cows will crap into a water source, which will then wash over to where the produce is. It'll go into the produce, and if you don't wash it, you can get sick. That's not what's happening here, all right, And I'll wrap this up in just a moment, but brace yourself, that's not what's happening here, because it turns out that cyclospora is not something that livestock gets. Cows don't get cyclospora, you know, gets cyclospora humans. So that's where it's coming from these migrant workers on these fields. Many of them are shown going to the bathroom in the fields, and is the human feces from the fields because they don't have bathrooms or porta potties.
Speaker 2: Porta potties can literally fix this. They don't have porta potties for the migrant workers. And some of these farms in California and even in Mexico as well, they don't have porta potties for them, so they sneak go into the bathroom in the middle of these farms and it ends.
Speaker 1: Up on the produce. That's how these things end up in there. That's what's making people sick. All right, that's the story. I'm sorry if it was weird. I just had to tell you the truth. Thank you, Steve Okay for the email.
Speaker 9: That's that's true. Look, I'm sure they're all living in FEMA camps too.
Speaker 1: Look it up, all right. I know it's research. I already did my research. That's what I'm telling you, and I've arrived at this and we'll see if anybody has anything to say about it.
Speaker 2: I got inside the mind of a migrant worker and I pooped in a field. That's what they're doing that's what causes this. So it's a large factory farm issue, says known Badger. Yeah, I mean yeah, you could say that it's really just about not providing facilities for some of these farm workers. They pay them low wages, they put them out of the fields all day, and then they don't have a place.
Speaker 1: For them to go to the bathroom. So like the streets of San Francisco, the fields are covered in poop, and the poop from humans is what makes you sick when you go to Taco bell. And it sounds crazy, but it's true. All right, we're going to take a quick break when we come back. We got some more of your emails coming in. Obviously, we'll get to those. We have somebody who a celebrity who passed away that I want to talk about at some point today. Updates on the data center stuff. But most importantly, there was this crazy attack on somebody over at the Today Show. This is just starting to get attention now, and the backstory on the guy who attacked the host of the Today Show is one of the most unbelievable things I've heard all week long. So we'll talk about that. That's on the way, and so much more.
Speaker 4: And it's coming up next on the News Junkie.
Speaker 1: Big celebrity at least in my life has passed away, and I'm going to tell you who is Rip Unfortunately in just a moment here. But there was some drama this week on the Today Show, and uh, the first thing that I realized was, I don't really know who the hell is the host of the Today Show because when they said the guy's name who was attacked, they said the host of the Today Show was attacked? Can you believe they got Craig Melvin? Who? And I was like, who is Craig Melvin? Melvin? And then I realized that the story is the attacker was actually looking for Al Roker, like this craz oh man, the craze lunatic dude was looking for Al Roker. Wait till I tell you about the guy who did this in what happened? But here's some of them addressing this on the Today Show. I just you might be familiar with him. I don't know who the hell that guy is Craig Melvin, but here he is. I want to take her just.
Speaker 10: A quick moment to address an incident that happened yesterday. You may I've heard that. Unfortunately, an intruder made his way into an unauthorized area here in Studio one A. Thankfully he was apprehended quickly. He was placed under arrest. We are cooperating fully with the NYPD as the investigate the matter, and we are just very happy that everyone is safe.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, yes, of course, I want to make sure that you're safe, safe and sound, safe and sound, safe and sound. Everything fine, I'm safe and sound, he says. I wonder if Al Roker feels like it's a little like, you know, hey, the guy was coming from me, buddy, all right, mister Craig Melvin was he was targeting me. He wanted to go after the weather man, Al Roker, but he ended up finding this Melvin guy, Craig Melvin. He of course shouted the N word at him at the top of his lungs, according to the people who were around there at the time, and he was trying to get a hold Al Roker. When he couldn't find Al Roker, he confronted Melvin, lunging at him while yelling the N word. He was arrested and nobody was physically injured. Now you'll notice I'm not going to say his name here. I don't want to say this guy's name because that's exactly what he wants. When this story started to get out there, I go, oh, great, oh, I see what's happening here. The guy. I saw a video of him after he got arrested, and he was on the side of the street and he thought he saw a journalist across the street. He's like, hey, who are you with and the person's like the Washington Post, and they oh, yeah, I'm gonna be in the Washington Post. He was all excited about it. So I don't want to feed into that at all. I do want to tell you it would be so great, that would make my career. This guy doesn't say his name, then the equivalent of world Star over here is just I'm gonna be on the news junkie if it happens. Oh man, Well, I be excited and freaked out at the same time. But the story about this guy, that's crazy. Crazy again. I don't care about saying his name, but I was. I said, is this guy been arrested for before? What's his history? So I started looking him up, start searching through the various news sources. This guy got arrested one time for stealing the Sandy Hook memorial plaques off of a playground. Okay, that's who this guy is. This guy, he was such a crazy nutjob attention hound that he heard there was a playground that featured little beautiful memorial plaques for all the kids who were killed at Sandy Hook and he went there and he stole them all. And I'll go, okay, yeah, I don't want to feed into this guy getting any more attention. I know what he was doing here. This guy is not some person who in many ways I think he does know. I think he does know what he's doing. I think he's in a search for fame and then you know, he ends up getting it just by being crazy enough to get arrested here. So that's what happened on the Today Show. And now I know who Craig Melvin is, at least for right now. That's not the guy though, that's not the person who did this, and it's not the person who was responsible for that. It's the person who was targeted. I guess. See, Lane, before we get to this celebrity situation, we had a follow up, and this is this is kind of good news for you. I think, all right, A long time listening on the Sheriff says they were told that they can have one celebrity invite to their wedding, and they have decided to invite us. They did not mention Josh though he's not invited. I guess yeah. Just they said, hello, Sean and Seelane. My fiance and I are longtime listeners and used to sit and do my homework to your radio show. We want to invite you to our wedding as special guest. We know this is a long shot, but you are our celebrity invite, said Celix. Right, we talked about that, yeah, and then see Lane said I'll do it, and you know I'm ready to do I know when it is. What's going on? They responded and said, hello, thank you for talking about the wedding invite. It will be December fifth, twenty two, twenty seven. Lots of time, uh huh, right, a lot of time to prepare at the Hilton Hotel in Melbourne. And we're having an aquarium themed wedding. Oh, what's wrong with that? You don't like the aquarium not? No, I like the aquarium theme running. I was like that might be Rope and Shawn in now Oh, No, I'm not.
Speaker 4: Going to an aquarium wedding, that is no. No.
Speaker 1: Thank you for considering us. Thought your commentary was hilarious as always you guys rock wiggle wiggle, pop pomp. So I just see, Lane, I want to keep throwing this out to you. They're very interested in having you there. You have a lot of skills that would make you useful. You can actually marry them. I can't do that. So what good am I? Honestly? And are you going to lock in or no? I'm not locking it in right here on site, but it's on the table for sure. Okay, okay, all right. I just wanted to put that out there. I have not yet been convinced, all right to the lovely couple. I'm on the fence, but maybe who knows. I do have this celebrity death, and I got to tell you it was a brutal one. It was a brutal one for me to see. And when I say the name, you're not going to know who the hell it is. A Sealion probably will because he might have pulled this story or something for a segment later.
Speaker 2: Is it a person who was in a movie with the President of the United States?
Speaker 1: Yes, it is Josh Brenda Fricker has died? What the frick do you have any clue who that is? Brenda Fricker?
Speaker 9: Uh no, but based on based on the clue I just gave, I'm thinking Home Alone two Lost in New York.
Speaker 1: Okay, very good, very good?
Speaker 12: Right now?
Speaker 1: No, yeah, I know, right yeah. Kevin the pigeon Lady from Home Alone two passed away this week, which is so sad to hear. She was pretty amazing in that she was the first Irish actress to win an Oscar. I did not know that the very first Irish actress to win an Oscar.
Speaker 9: Two.
Speaker 1: Home Alone two Lost in New York was what she won for, and she won Best Actor I guess for well, hold on, hold on, No, never mind, I get that wrong. She's the first Irish actress to win an Oscar. She was Christy Brown and it was a different movie. Oh she was. She was in My Left Foot. I never heard of that before. Have you guys heard of My Left Foot? I've heard her name. Yeah, she was in My Left Foot. Her role as mother of Irish writer and painter Christy Brown, played by Daniel day Lewis, for which he also won Best Actor So there you go. Brenda Fricker, the Pigeon Lady and home alone. Two rip to her and we'll see what else we could tick up. There's a lot going on into the world today. Hit us up with your thoughts, tips, T I P. S at thenewsshunkey dot com real quick. A couple of emails coming in. This one is from Katie. Katie emails the show. It says, Hi, guys, as a person in the water business, we are drinking flushing, watering, cooling with the same water that the dinosaurs drank. Katie says, it's still the same earth. Things have moved over thousands of years, but the same water, the same air, maybe a little bit dirtier when the earth is to microplastics in it there sea, She says, love you to all, love you all to pieces. So that's what it is PCs. I didn't know what that was, says Katie. Thank you for the email. Scott emails the show about the I didn't even think this should be controversial. But the thing yesterday that I was talking about data centers. I had just gone on a lengthy tirade the day before about how if you don't want a data center in your neighborhood. You have every right to be against that. You should chain up with all of your neighbors. You should do what a lot of these people are doing and tell them either rightfully compensate all of us in a way that we enjoy and we are made whole by or get the hell out of here with your stupid data center. I think that people should do that. I've laid out the case, and if you missed it, go back to to Wednesday's podcast. I laid out the case against these data centers being built in these neighborhoods. I laid out the reasons why the data centers were bad, and then afterwards I said, oh yeah, by the way, I said, a lot of the stuff that you see on social media is greatly overhyped. A lot of people were convinced by a bunch of TikTok videos, Instagram reels, all these sorts of things that the real problem is wasteful water use for AI data centers. And I said, this is a failure to understand how modern AI data centers actually work. They recycle the water, so once the water is in the rotation at these data centers, they use the same water over and over to cool the equipment. They don't have to use that water every single day like a lot of people think. And I said, just don't use that as the argument. Use all the other ones. Right. Triggered a bunch of people, and I got a lot of emails, but some of them were good, like this one. Here's Scott. Scott says to Tips of the New Junkie dot Com regular podcast listener, and I love the show. You are absolutely right about how data centers use water for cooling. As a certified pipe welder and mechanical service technician COOL, I work with massive chilled water cooling systems across facilities like resorts, manufacturing plants, power stations, and data centers. He sent a bunch of pictures of a system he was currently overhauling. He says, data centers, like many large buildings, rely on closed loop chilled water systems to cool the air circulated by large HVAC units. While these systems contain tens of thousands of gallons of water, it is continuously recirculated and recooled. The actual water loss comes from evaporation at the cooling towers, which requires a few hundred gallons of municipal water daily to replenish. The primary issue is infrastructure locations. Many of these facilities are being built at areas where the existing power grid and water systems are lacking or poorly maintained, placing a drastic strain on small towns. This is ultimately the narrative around data centers, often ships the blame away from the foundational utility failures to meet growing demands. Best regards, Scott, Thank you, Scott, appreciate you appreciate people in the know backing up what I was saying. Thank you for that, and you could send your email agreed, disagree, or somewhere in between. Tips tips at the news chunky dot com. Last thing on that front, real quick, I guess we were talking about the Project Tango thing and they voted it down. We said yesterday, but then I saw this this morning. I so hold on. This is not completely done here yet, because even though they denied the Project Tango, a data centered down in Florida, they have still got construction going on. And here's what the WPTV story says. Palmmea County device Project Tango expansion, but construction on locks Ache site continues. The commissioners actually rejected a large scale expansion application, but the original twenty sixteen approved plans for a smaller warehouse data center can still move forward. So so like they were previously approved for like a smaller data center, they wanted to make the data center a lot bigger because twenty sixteen to twenty twenty six oh, a lot of stuff has changed since then, and so they wanted to make it way bigger. That's what got denied.
Speaker 2: What's crazy is that in twenty sixteen, we weren't even really talking a lot about AI. So it was just a regular old data center, just a regular old building with servers and stuff that wasn't going to be that big of a deal. And I think I think some of the some of the AI stuff has like been unfairly roped in with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think people use the term data center and sometimes it's like it's it's a lot of things that you're not necessarily thinking of right now. People are thinking of AI mostly right and that's what's what's happening there. So they're still building some stuff. Vicky says, I don't think this argument is ever going ten it is Vicky right now. Ish, we'll see maybe depending on what the feed is when we come back. We've got some viral clips to get into. One that I've wanted to go over for a while. I got to pick a side queued up for you today on a Friday, we got an interview on the way. Here's the deal. You know what's happening right now. I don't know if you guys are celebrating or not, but the annual Python Hunt is happening in the state of Florida, all right, and we got one of the winners who's going to be joining us to talk about all the stuff that happens in the world of the Python Hunt each year. I watched the documentary about it this weekend, which was really interesting, and I've got a ton of great questions for us. So we're going to talk about that in the next hour. Stay put. That's coming up next on the News Junkie. We're at a weird part in the Daylight Saving Time Bill. If you don't know what's happening the House of Representatives. The old folks in Washington, d c. Half of them, well more than half of them because of the numbers game, but one part of Congress, the House of Representatives, has voted to make daylight saving time permanent, and then if that goes to the Senate, which it will, then the Senate votes for this and passes this, then it would go to the President's desk, who almost certainly would go, yep, here we go sign the bill, and then daylight saving time would be permanent in the United States of America. And this has kind of fired people up for different reasons. But now some of the sort of fear mongering stuff has come out. And what are the stories I saw today? I go, wait, hold on, is this actually true? This story from Newsweek said permanent daylight saving could put some pets at risk, Ve warns. So I was like, the time change could hurt our pets. I thought that pets didn't like the time change.
Speaker 2: Isn't that like one of the things about the time change when you have a dog that eats at the same time every day and then you screw up the clocks and the dog wants dinner too early.
Speaker 1: Or your dog has no idea. Yeah they don't know. Yeah they're confused by this. So I could see that, But how would it be bad? This is an actual article for Newsweek.
Speaker 2: It says a proposal to make daylight saving time permanent, awaits a Senate vote after passing the House of Representatives. But the final clock change could affect more than just people's schedules. It could disrupt pets routines.
Speaker 1: They say, and how is the question that happened?
Speaker 2: But this is pro time changers trying to tug at the heartstrings of anybody that they can, you know, pull over to their side.
Speaker 1: They do this sometimes when they're trying to influence people. They did this actually, believe it or not, during COVID. There was one time during COVID where they go. It is not known if COVID can pass between our pets, So you should avoid taking your dog out and letting your dogs socialize with other animals. Like there's crazy stuff that happened during that time. But they try to use that sometimes, these media outlets to get you more angry about the thing. But is it real? Let's see. While many people may welcome the idea of no longer changing their clocks twice a year, dogs and cats could need a few days to adjust to the new rhythm of their owners' lives. Most dogs and cats don't know what time it is. They know when things are supposed to happen. I know that's true, and I know my pets know that for sure, says Karen Halligan. Pets thrive on routine, so any sudden change in feeding walks, medication schedules or bedtime can throw them off. But what's the idea here? The idea is that if we go to permanent daylight saving time, it would be bad for pets because they'll be confused. Well, isn't that less confusing if we do it once and then stay on that same schedule forever.
Speaker 2: Then it sounds like the more logical thing is that it would be less confusing for pets. So therefore, would the article be that this actually is going to be much more stable for your pets over a long period of time because pets, you know, like my dog Lexi, she stands in a certain place right around six thirty ish or follows me around the kitchen because she thinks it's dinner time. Now, she doesn't right around Halloween time follow me around and go.
Speaker 1: Trains of Cloaks. Right, yeah, I think, like I'm concused. The whole pis doesn't make sense though, because you would just go, hey, oh, you're saying time change affects the animals, and if we go to permanent daylight saving time, that will affect the pets. And that's a bad thing because the pets will be thrown off by this. Okay, but if we don't do that thing, then we do it twice a year, and then the animals is going to be affected twice as much every single year. Right, it doesn't make any sense to me. It says what pets could be most affected. Senior dogs and cats, puppies and kittens, pets with anxiety disorders, dude, okay, animals with cognitive dysfunction. They might as well just put that raccoon in Seattle on here, oh.
Speaker 2: Jimmy hard Yeah, yeah, Jimmothy, put them on here. Pets taking medications at specific times, and diabetics.
Speaker 1: This is literally no change for the pet. Your vote for daylight saving time permanently is a vote to murder all your pets. That's what this is. That's what's happening here. So if you want to murder Fido, you encourage your senators to vote for permanent daylight saving time. As for us, well, you know, I guess it's like terrible for us too, because now everybody's making these infographics on how this is going to make you die? Somebody actually still name their pet Fido anymore? Got everyone? It seems like such a trope. Here's what they're saying happens to humans because the fear machine is just ratcheted up. The problem with permanent daylight saving time increased risk of heart attack, heart attacks increased by twenty four percent on the Monday after the spring daylight saving time shift. There is no way that's true. There's no way that like that. People will be like the time is whoa that there's an increased risk of a heart attack? What because you didn't change your clocks? What is causing heart attacks to I.
Speaker 2: Don't think these arguments are are making sense for what this person is is fighting for.
Speaker 1: Go to the top real quick. Okay, So this person.
Speaker 2: Is fighting for keeping standard time and not doing daylight saving time, which y which right now, if this bill passes, we stay on daylight saving time, and what we get more daylight later in the day.
Speaker 1: Correct, See what I'm saying that yes, because it says the thing at the top says daylight saving time bad for your health. Standard time much better, all right, okay? And it says the problem with daylight saving time. Is heart attacks increase on the Monday after the shift. Well, if there's no shift, there's no increase in heart attacks. It's not like if we keep daylight.
Speaker 2: Saving time, we're just going to be all of this all of a sudden, twenty four hours a day, seven days a week, twenty four percent more likely to have a heart attack because it's only after the time shift.
Speaker 1: So this argument makes no sense. Sographic all right. The other one says more strokes. Stroke risk increased by eight percent in the days following the spring shift.
Speaker 2: Every one of the things in this column is about the shift.
Speaker 1: Shift shift. If we don't shift, there's no there's no problem. You lose sleep or a sleep quality, higher risk of diabetes and obesity. That's why people are fat in America. People are fat because of daylight saving times. True, higher cancer rates in western time zones. See, you have more time to smoke. I am not a professional doctor and not what you would call a medical doctor, but this doesn't seem right to me. I mean, this guy says he is a doctor. This guy says MD.
Speaker 2: He says MD after his name, And I get that when you when you go down, you go down to the bottom, like it says, like, all right, here are the downsides of daylight saving time right later later sunrises when you need light most That is a valid point. Disrupt sleep is maybe a link to more heart attacks all of the.
Speaker 1: Other disrupt sleep though, because the sun comes up at different times and stuff. Yeah right, I get that, but you'll get used to it.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 2: There are people that live in places where the sun just never goes down. Yeah, and and they're fine, most of them.
Speaker 11: I don't know a.
Speaker 1: Lot of drink into those places. But there's just no way, Like I mean, I'm for standard time or daylight saving time. I just think the switching back and forth thing is kind of silly. We could probably stop doing that. But is there any way that it's causing strokes and heart attacks and cancers and fat people and and by the way, if we switch to standard time instead of daylight saving time, we won't have obese the issues like we do it or not as much. In some way.
Speaker 2: It's just you're infographic and the facts or whatever the facts I'll put in quotes that you're spewing out on this thing don't support what you're fighting for. You're fighting for keeping standard time and not having daylight saving time. But everything that you've brought to back up your your argument is all about changing the times, which is the thing that we're getting rid of.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't get it, but there's a push against this stuff, and I want to see where people are at on this. Maybe you believe this. This is a doctor saying And sometimes I'll say something that people are like, well, it's doctor Sean. You know more than the doctor. Yes, I know more than Roger Sehult, MD about the time change and the actual medical impact of it. It would seem that that's the case. It would seem that you can call me Sean, MD if you'd like, Much like Doogie Howser.
Speaker 2: I will say he may know more than me about it, but his choice in argument for for like backing up his side with some infographic is super poor.
Speaker 1: I like the sourcing on this too, because it says higher risks of diabetes and obesity because of daylight saving time, and then it says source Obesity twenty sixteen. We have all obesity crack on the pages of Obesity twenty fifteen, and you'll see that this is indeed correct. The next one down talks about cancer and the sources.
Speaker 2: Jay Cancer, Jay Cancer twenty eighteen, my last name JNS.
Speaker 1: I don't know what in means? Who knows? The Fear Campaign International Journal against the Time change issues that have been taken up by the United States of America is real. They're really really trying to freak us out over here. Let us know what you think. Send a dispatch over at thenewsjunkie dot com right now. All right, let's see here we can work maybe a dispatch in or so we'll get to one of yours here in just a moment. In fact, here's somebody talking about the daylight saving time things, So let's work that in here we go. Hey, happy Friday, guys.
Speaker 11: Hey Sean, I could completely appreciate that twenty percent of a heart attack. Fact, why time changes, Patriot? You wake up for work?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 11: Getting ready? Uh huh uh oh the time change? You forgot to change your club. It's not seven am, it's eight am to for work.
Speaker 1: Do you have a heart attack?
Speaker 11: I'm sure if so, it would give me a heart attack.
Speaker 1: Wiggle wiggle, Why what do you, Barney Rubble? What what clock are you changing? In twenty twenty six for the daylight saving time? Is year you're microwaving oven? Is that where you're saving your car? Is that where you say you're a lot? I know some of you are unhinged, weird, weird people. Can I tell you know what I saw said yesterday? I'll go if I ever knew anybody, if any of you, if you listening right now, if you do this, I disown you. Okay, I'm I'm sorry, I disowned you. I heard somebody the other day says, you guys actually go to your microwave and type in the time and then hit start like everybody I know goes to their microwave and you put it on ninety nine minutes and ninety nine seconds, and then each time you just hit start again and you just let it, you know, drill, like whittle down to nothing, and that hell the hell, you're lunatic? Who does that? Where do you see this? If you need?
Speaker 2: This? Is somebody saying this is how they use the microwave, and they said, everybody else does it.
Speaker 1: The same way. That take away this person's microwave. They take it. I put ninety nine minutes and ninety nine seconds on the microwave, and then if I have to warm something up for two minutes. I bring it down to ninety seven minutes and ninety nine seconds, and I know that the time has passed, and then I don't have to put time in the stupidest thing I ever heard. I agree, Okay, I agree. I said, if you do that, I'm disowning you. I can't. I can't deal with it. I can't. All right, quick break. When we come back, we'll hear from you and see what you have to say about this.
Speaker 4: It's coming up next in the News Junkie.
Speaker 1: One of the most viral stories of the week, and I mean that in all possible ways. It was maybe the most disturbing thing that I've seen in a very long time. And I Am not going to force you to watch that if you're with us over on YouTube dot com Slash the News Junkie. But there was a gentleman, and I use that word very loosely, who spent this week stuck in a porta potty. I kid you not legitimately. There's a video and I'm just scrubbing through it here so you can see that I'm not making this up for those of you watching, but you could see the fire department has arrived and they're trying to rescue this guy out of the porta potty. He's in the bottom of the porta potty right and kicks up his foot or his hand, that's his hand, and they're like, get out of the man, I can't im stuck and this guy is stuck down in the bottom of a porta potty. And afterwards they came out with the information as to why he said he was down there. I kid you not, this man said he dropped his mountain dew. He said the reason he was at the bottom of the porta potty was because he dropped his mountain dew. So the first question I have for you, see, Lena Josh, is there anything in this entire universe that you own that if you dropped it into a porta potty, you would attempt to retrieve that item? My dog, your dog, if scrape fell into a porta potty, you go down there and get them. I'd have to Oh, that's very sweet of you. I think I would get lady my dog as well if she fell into a porta potty, But I would think long and hard about it. I would spend some time going is it worth it? There's not one item I own that I would go down there for the same Like even if somebody said, what about your bank cards? Who cares? Yeah? Or a new bank card? What if you what if your birth certificate was down there? Who cares? I don't. I have no interest in going to get it. I don't have an identity. Now it's too bad. I have no name.
Speaker 2: Now I don't know if I'm gonna, you know, make it in this country much.
Speaker 1: Longer I can prove that I was born.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, are you serious? You drop a mountain dew? Imagine that you're sitting there at a porta potty. Now it's mountain do do gross enough already? And then you drop something into the porta potty and you, oh, my mountain dew fell down there?
Speaker 1: What are you going to continue drinking it?
Speaker 2: That's a very good question. MFQ says, my cell phone? Are you crazy?
Speaker 1: Cell phone? Would be? I would?
Speaker 2: I would, I would, I would maybe, well, I couldn't have a light because my cell phone's down there, but I would be curious, like how much how much do do is down there there?
Speaker 1: I'm getting it? Oh yeah, I don't care if it's brand new. If my phone drops in there? See you later phone. Honest to god, if you tell me that your phone fell into a porta potty and you went you dove in like this guy did to get your phone out of the porta potty, I am questioning what is on your cell phone? I'm immediately gone, what what is on your phone? My entire life? Yeah, but you got back, man, I need those pictures. You got to back up somewhere. You're gonna be just fine.
Speaker 10: I know.
Speaker 1: There was some guy who said he spent about eight hours in this the crew that recovered him. So this is this is like the dude who went out to the scene.
Speaker 9: God, how deep is that if he's stuck like hunched up in there with his mountain dew.
Speaker 1: Yes, he's in there. He's got his mountain dew in his hands. Somebody says, what flavor of mountain dew? Come on, man, what is you think that? Taco bell one? You know the game fuel is kind of hard to come by these days. I guess, Oh my god. So they said he was down there for eight hours or something because he dropped his mountain doing there. And I ask you the simple question. I won't give you any more of the details that are just absolutely disgusting. But I asked you the simple question, is there anything that you would go down into the porta potty for to recover? It's that important to you? Let us know. Dan the Plumber says, I work in construction constantly. I have this fear, and hell no, it would be sacrifice. I've seen the carnage in those hot boxes out there. Uh yeah, I mean there's nothing for me, not like literally, Josh says Lady the Dog. Yeah, but I mean my dog is not going to fall into a porta potty. It's not going to happen. I'm a one hundred percent sure that it's not going to occur. Oh God, please don't wish that on me or anybody else. I will see what you think. Set us a dispatch over at thenewsjunkie dot com. Strangely enough, people are responding to my claim about microwave folks. I am not, just to be clear, saying that I do this. I am saying that there was a discussion that I saw, and the discussion was about how people use their microwaves, and somebody said, you guys actually put the amount of time in and then hit start on the microwave, and there was a bunch of people who were flabbergasted at this idea. They said, no, we don't put the time in. You just start at ninety nine minutes in ninety nine seconds, and then you just start subtracting from there for each food out of you make, and then every once in a while you add it back up to ninety nine minutes in ninety nine seconds, which is absolutely unhinged, but ad emails the show. I finally agree with Seilane Today's Today congrats, I finally agree with Sea Lane. Whoever was bound to happen sooner or later, Ed, and who knew it was going to be this issue, whoever it was to put their microwave on ninetynine minutes to ninety nine seconds. The police need to go over there and take his microwave away from him, then put a restraining order on him so he'll never buy another one. All the normal people I know who know their stuff is finished because of the ding, they do it this way. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know, says Ed.
Speaker 2: Thank you for the email. Appreciate that. Before today. If you were to ask me the most ridiculous thing I'd ever heard about microwaves, I would tell you a story of a coworker that we used to have that lived in an apartment and did not know he had a microwave for many years until they came and replaced it.
Speaker 1: Today. This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard about a microcprah. That's that? Yeah? Thank god? Yeah, I mean, I hope that there's none of you out there that do this. But if there is, if you're out there and you do the ninety nine minutes ninety nine seconds thing, just know we are judging you very very hard. Today, let's go to a couple of people with some feedback. Here, here's Handy John with a dispatch. Let's see what he says. What's up, guys.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I gotta say, hit in ninety nine minutes and ninety nine seconds on a microwave is psychotic and diabolical. However, what I will do is, if something takes you know, a minute to thirty seconds, I will hit the plus thirty second button three times and time.
Speaker 11: All.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what I just wondered. How many other people do that?
Speaker 13: And side note, yesterday my wife and I closed on our new home and we use that mortgage guy don Yeah, so thanks for you guys having great spots. No, yeah, advertisers. Yeah, really worked out on the new house. I saw the graduation.
Speaker 1: Yes in the address. If there's a microwave in that house. Don't ever do the ninety nine minutes in ninety nine sex. He's not, he said, it's diabolical. It isscho. Yeah, but I do what he's saying. Where you go ninety seconds. I don't actually type in ninety seconds. I do hit thirty three times. But I'll tell you. I don't know if you guys do this or not. I have never once in my life. I'm a grown man. I'm an adult. I'm a functioning adult. Congrats alright, I thank you, Josh.
Speaker 2: I have never, once in all of my years, ever used one of the buttons that they have.
Speaker 1: On the preset popcorn or potato button, pizza slice whatever they have on there, like the little like emojis or whatever.
Speaker 2: I've tried them. I don't feel like they do much like the Melk butter button. I've never done it even once in my life. I've always just hit the numbers. But at least that's not the ninety nine second thing. Here is a flip with a dispatch for.
Speaker 5: Us What a sucker, What a surprise.
Speaker 14: We're back in the portage with the guys. So I think maybe one of your gold bars, if you, you know, happen to take it out of your safe and wander over to a portagehn and drop one in there.
Speaker 1: I think you would probably jump in for that. No, I wouldn't.
Speaker 14: But no, seriously, no, no material thing that I own, would I ever go into a portage on and retreat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why I'm going to go out on a limb, and I'm gonna say I don't believe this guy. I don't think the guy went into the porta potty because he dropped his mountain dew. That's why my point is that I literally don't think there's anything that almost anybody will jump into a porta potty for. I think this guy jumped into a porta potty because he wanted to jump into a porta potty.
Speaker 1: That's what I think was going on here. I think this guy he's into whatever that is, whatever you search for on the adult sites to land on on that. But I don't think it was just this is not real. Whoever set this photo dispatch, this is not the guy the moment he got his mountain dew. That mountain is way too clean. I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the guy that he must have a fetish. There must be some weird sun belt Reynolds are catching.
Speaker 9: He dropped drugs and didn't want to admit it to the first responders.
Speaker 1: Oh you think like you would have to drop a lot of drugs though, job, or just the ones you really really like. I guess so if you're that's a level of addiction that I would be very uncomfortable with. But you know, send us your dispatches to join us on the show over at thenewsjunkie dot com. An update very quickly on a story we talked about yesterday on the show. We have that low altitude Florida beach flyover with the Blue Angels. The pilot has been investigated for that really low altitude flyover and will not be fired. Right, They announced that the pilot will not lose their job because they were a little bit too low. They said they were at forty feet, which is well below the typical minimum safe altitude of one thousand feet expected for aircraft, military or civilian planes. The Blue Angels were doing stunts over the beach. It was so close it blew a bunch of the umbrellas and stuff around. But they have backed the pilot who did this and said that they're not going to fire them. And I do stand by some of the things we heard yesterday and some of the things I learned throughout the show yesterday. I feel like after yesterday's discussion about this in the low file over from the Blue Angels pilot, I think that if you ask most of the people on the beach, was that cool or was that bad? The majority of them, the vast majority'd be like that was awesome. I think that they would have had a blast. That's what they're there for. I guess that's one of the things that they get excited for. But that's the ending of that story as far as we know it right now. Let us know what you think about all this, what we're talking about, what we're not talking about. Of course, send your dispatches over at thenewsjunkie dot.
Speaker 2: Com, or you can email the show if you want to be anonymous. Put that right on top of the emails so I don't miss it, and I read that part first. Send those emails to tips tips at thenewschunky dot com. The most shocking piece of audio from the last twenty four hours. Could not believe this when I heard it. You're not going to believe it either. But guess what.
Speaker 4: It's coming up next on the news, Chunky.
Speaker 1: Oh God.
Speaker 2: One thing I got to escape this weekend is the people who fight about saying Imax is the only way to see this new Odyssey movie. And they're like, why would you even go and see it if you couldn't see the movie without watching it in imax?
Speaker 1: Imax is the way. I'm like, oh my god. And then they'll go, look, look how much is cut off. Here's Christopher Nolan, and here's how much you see in the regular theater. Here's how much you see an imax. I'm like, yeah, but there's nothing really interesting going on in the areas above or below the shot that you're showing, but people swear by it. I don't think I've ever seen a movie in imax. I don't know that i've I don't if I have. I think I've been to like an IMAX theater. Maybe the technology was new and so they had it at like a museum or like a science center kind of place where they would show IMAX. But it's like here's the wonders of the deep blue sea.
Speaker 2: Some nature thing, and there was no ll cool J, not a single ll cool J to be found.
Speaker 1: Different. Yeah, there was a clip that went absolutely viral this week, and for boy a lot of reasons. There was a woman I haven't seen anything quite like this in a while, who was who was testifying before Congress. And her name is Elizabeth Oyer. I believe my god, I don't know if I've seen anybody get this sort of drubbing, this sort of dressing down, this sort of verbal beat down in a very very long time. Apparently this woman was trying to get a pardon for Dylan Roof. If you don't know who Dylan Roof is, Dylan Roof is like a terrible monster of a human being shot up a church, right shut a church and killed a bunch of people. And and this woman was trying to get a pardon for like the worst among us. This is a mass shooter. Guy.
Speaker 2: I can't believe that there's anybody that would even advocate on behalf of these folks.
Speaker 1: But this lady, like you could see if you're watching on YouTube dot com slash the news junkie her face even at the beginning of the clip is like, oh boy, really gonna have one of those days? And I thought, is this lady really doing this? Josh Howley, the representative, was up there, of course, Josh, and this Josh was letting her have it right here, he goes. If you missed this, God Almighty. I know there needs to be a job for everything I need. Somebody needs to do legal work, even for the bad guys. But being out there advocating for this kind of person is a whole level of low. Here's what happened, Just in case you missed it.
Speaker 15: We're President Biden's attorney.
Speaker 1: Is that correct?
Speaker 16: I was the Justice Department's pardoner.
Speaker 15: Do you recommended you make clemency recommendations to the White House whether or not to pardon inmates? SA?
Speaker 1: That correct.
Speaker 16: My job was to make clemency recommendations, and that.
Speaker 15: In that capacity, you recommended that the President of the United States, Joe Biden, grant clemency to all forty federal death row inmates, all of them, clear them out.
Speaker 1: Correct. Clemency means, just to be clear, that does mean that the people will be released, right, clemency you're on death row. If you get clemency on death row. That doesn't mean you were commuted, which would be like you serve out a life sentence. That clemency I think would mean that you get released, doesn't it. Okay.
Speaker 2: Clemency is the act of showing mercy, leniency, or forgiveness by an authority figure such as a judge, president, or governor, towards someone who has committed a defense. It's often used to reduce a harsh prison sentence, grant a pardon, or provide a second chance to a convicted individual.
Speaker 1: I mean, but she's doing this for everybody on federal death row.
Speaker 9: It sounds like she's just trying to get rid of like federal death penalty.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, let's see what else she said.
Speaker 16: Sir as I told Chairman grossly, I'm not free to discuss the recommending.
Speaker 15: Well, that's what your memo says.
Speaker 1: I mean, we have your memo.
Speaker 15: Your memo of November fourth, twenty twenty four says, and I quote disparity and undue severity of sentence, which are present in many, if not all, of these cases, have been recognized as grounds for clemency. And you went on to recommend in that memo and a series of other memos that are now recorded in public record that the President of the United States grant clemency to murderers, rapists, and the most horrible offenders, all of them clear death row completely out. I'm amazed you've been called here today. I'm absolutely amazed by it. But let's just talk about the people who.
Speaker 1: You talk She's like, this isn't getting any better. Why did I wake up today and do this? This lady's just like I'm about to get tongue lash victims.
Speaker 15: The people who you recommended get clemency and live at the sufferance of taxpayers.
Speaker 1: For the rest of their lives. Okay, so let's start with them, Okay, like you made.
Speaker 2: It out of the beginning, like they were just gonna let these people free into society, which I'm sure somebody wants out there, but that's another level of crazy town. But she was advocating on behalf of Dylan Roof, I guess, and they go into this.
Speaker 15: Dylan was a neo Nazi who murdered nine African American worshipers at a Bible study in Charleston, South Carolina, twenty fifteen. Do you remember this case?
Speaker 16: I do remember.
Speaker 15: I would hope you did. Here's his victims. You want to look at him? Oh, there they are, nine of them at a Bible study in a church, killed in cold blood. The DOJ knew from day one that he had decided. I'm going to quote from the prosecutors to.
Speaker 2: Oh, god, he's actually got the photographs of He's got the photos of the victims at some sort of I don't know if this is a funeral or some sort of a vigil or something.
Speaker 1: And he's got this up behind him. So now she has to look at that to.
Speaker 15: Attack African Americans because of their race. He further decided to attack African American worshipers in a black church in order to make his attack more notorious, more notorious. And yet you recommended that he begranted clemency live at the expense attaxpayers for the rest of his life, substitute your judgment for that of the American judicial system. Do you stand by that recommendation today.
Speaker 16: Sir, I'm not going to comment on the recommendations that I made, but I can tell you that mister Rufe is going to die in prison.
Speaker 15: As Oh, He's going to live in prison for a very long time because of you, Because of your recommendations. And here's what you said. In your number of October thirtieth, twenty twenty four. You said that actually Rufe is not a compelling candidate for clemency, but you recommended it anyway. Why because he suffered from anxiety? You said, right, he suffered from anxiety. Did it ever occur to you that maybe the family of his victims might suffer as laid out because he marched into their church and murdered them in cold blood because he was an incredible racist and he wanted to get on TV, sir, you regret it.
Speaker 1: That's next. I heard those words together. This guy is an.
Speaker 2: Incredible racist, if I'm honest, If anybody was going to get the title incredible along with it, it would be the guy that did that thing. This might be one of those things where you go, hey, actually I'm against the death penalty and so but the moment you find yourself explaining why you think Dylan Rufe, a mass murderer, has anxiety, so he should get some special treatment and should not be put to death or whatever, is the moment you're losing with normal people, right, Because normal people?
Speaker 1: Oh, did Dylan Rufe have anxiety? Oh? No, oh, I feel so terrible for him. How could this happen to such a sweet, sweet boy, such an incredible racist. I don't know how this could ever happen. And well, that's a tough day in front of Congress right there. Let us know what you think. Send a dispatch over at thenewsjunkie dot com right now. I don't know that she would have gotten an easy go at it from any of the people who had a right there. I honestly would not have blamed her if she just backed up Seal. I'll come back in five years, I'll make some changes, we'll do some things, and we'll see what we can do. We're gonna switch it up and kill everyone now I means, yeah, yeah, let's change things. So let us know what you think. Send a dispatch over at thenewsjunkie dot com. On the Blue Angels a topic, Gregory emails, he says that was cool. It was really cool when they flew low over that beach. Nobody got hurt and nobody got in trouble. However, they did break an FAA regulation for air shows, and he links to the special Provisions rules. He said, all things can be true, and even the best pilots make mistakes and crash. True. Yeah, I mean there's been as far as I'm know, and I don't even know a lot about this, this topic in particular, but there's been air crashes, our air show crashes previously. Now I don't know if there's been air show crashes where people who have been gathered watching have died, but I would I would not be shocked if that was the case. I would think that there was, you know, probably some occurrences of that happen, and given the danger of it all. Alicia says, Happy Friday. Not sure if you discussed this, but I thought i'd send it over. Pick a side and she sends a story and says, man accused of hitting a child on an e bike and then slapping him. Well, what did the kid on the e bike do? Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 2: Maybe he was doing something else, Maybe he was driving a little too fast, or maybe had anxiety. You never know, you never know what's going on, So we'll get into that story. Also, we have the hot sheet that's coming up next on the News Chunkie. Thank you for being with us.
Speaker 1: Email or send your dispatches in to be featured on the show. We have so much more to get into in the second half of things. Big thank you by the way to Craig K with.
Speaker 2: The eleven gifted subscriptions over at the news junkie dot com.
Speaker 1: Thank you just coming in water Boys with twenty six gifted sun God. The support is just massive. Thank you so much. That's how to support the show. Take a shot of the suits by showing your support through some subscriptions of your own, or just give them to other people who are fans of the show. Big giant thanks to you, water Boys and Craig K for supporting the show. Hey go claim those yourself to unlock all the premium access that you get with a subscription over at the newsjunkie dot com. Right now, let's do the hot sheets.
Speaker 15: Sheets in news, but not like real important news.
Speaker 1: That's again imparting on the planet.
Speaker 17: The top stories from the people on your screens and speakers are on the hotsheets with Sea Lane.
Speaker 2: That's right, the hot sheet brought to you by that mortgage guy down at the top five stories in the nonsense news. And we've been seeing for the past, oh gosh, a decade or so, maybe even longer, the revival of vinyl. You know that the people have been into having records. I have a record player at my house. They have a little collection of vinyl same and uh, it's fun to listen to I think my I think mine needs a little adjustment. I think mine plays a little too fast. But other than that, it's nice to have around. And uh, but that's not the only thing like move over vinyl, because a report shows that during the first half of twenty twenty six, CD sales has surged. Really, people are going back to compact discs. CD sales surge sixteen percent to sixteen point three million units, soundly outpacing vinyls comparatively modest two point four percent growth. And now, sixteen point three million units may sound like a lot, but that's nothing compared to the height of CDs in the US. CD sales hit their highest point in two thousand. In that single year. How many CDs do you think we're sold in the year two thousand, right before the digital stream era took over?
Speaker 1: Was this like boy bands popping off of that time? Two thousand? Yeah, oh man, that was a big year. Five billion. Oh wait, hold on a we saying dollars are how many actual CDs? Number of CDs sold. Oh, I think he's way too high. I think one hundred million.
Speaker 2: You are technically closer. But it was nine hundred and forty three million CDs the music and brought in. That's in the US music industry brought in twenty seven billion dollars. That's adjusted for today's money. And apparently CDs aren't the only form enjoying a second act. And I think Fritz's has been on this trend too, because I think he said one of his more recent albums he had produced in cassette tape form.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he did. I got one around in the studio.
Speaker 2: Earlier this year, Maxell introduced a bluetooth cassette player, which is two things.
Speaker 1: I didn't think we're going to go.
Speaker 2: Together ever, but a cassette player with Bluetooth capability has underscored how nostalgia fueled physical media continues to resonate with music fans. Other fans that are not going to be so happy of this show, Saturday Night Live.
Speaker 1: That's correct, sir, even tho. If I know anybody currently on Saturday Night Live, well.
Speaker 2: The person that just announced their quitting SNL is somebody we've talked about recently. Chloe Feinman, who was after seven wonderful seasons oft SNL, I've decided this time for my next chapter, she wrote in a lengthy Instagram post announcing her departure, saying it's really hard to leave SNL, but it feels like the right time. I'm gonna miss it a lot the people who work there in my family. Chloe Fyneman was the one that was giving that weird interview where she said she pants a kid when she worked at as a Oh yeah, as a camp counselor. I forgot about that. There was something it was like. The kid wasn't wearing underwear though, so she just pants the kid and his kid. Wiener was exposed to a bunch of people. Thank kid Wiener, Please wasn't a regular one. I'm not going to all right. Fineman, Oh my god, he's got an adult one joined The Rings the Studio eight age in twenty nineteen. She was announced as a season forty five newcomer alongside Bowen Yang and Shane Gillis. Two out of three ain't bad made it on the show there, but she's known for her range of impressions, which included Jennifer Coolidge, Timothy Shallomy, Drew Barry Moore, Britney Spears, and Jojo Siwa. Also, she's hot. I think if you're like, if you're looking at the SNL, there's a couple hot members.
Speaker 1: She was one of them. Yeah, Keenan, I'm glad you said that. Josh blessed Keenan because he is still on SNL and I do like him and I do know him, but I think he might be the only one that I know right now. You don't know like Marcelo Hernandez. He's been he just hosted the SPS. He may have, so, yeah, so I know him. I saw some clips of that, so he's starting to do pretty well. I think. Did not love his stand up. I love I love his characters on SNL.
Speaker 2: I think he does a really good job, but I thought the stand up was just kind of like, hi, miss Beane.
Speaker 1: He when he hosted the SPS, though, he had a pretty good joke about Shane Gillis. You just talk about Shane Gillis and he Shane Gillis had hosted the SP's the year before, and this hispanic guy from SNL right now goes Shane Gillis hosted last year and in true white guy fashion. He's watching from his couch at home, drinking a beer while a Mexican does his job this year, and I was.
Speaker 2: Like, okay, all right, back, let's see if you were a big fan of La La Land, the one hundred and twenty eight minute masterpiece they call it from Ryan Gosling. The tenth anniversary theatrical celebration is coming soon. Tickets are already on sale for the ten year return to La La Land. Doesn't seem like it's been that long. But speaking of Ryan Gosling, one of the shows that broke him as an actor or just as an entertainer in general, is getting itself a reboot.
Speaker 1: House.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know who's on this, not the Clubhouse, but just the Mickey mouse Club. The new group of Mouseketeers is on the horizon, as The Mickey Mouse Club eyes a revival, as Disney Plus is ordered a pilot for a reboot of the classic kids program the original lost young talents such as Britney Spears, Ryan Gosling, justin Timberlake, and Christina Aguilera.
Speaker 1: Is name in it.
Speaker 2: That's my only question. Rocky like from the Projectail Mary, Yeah, unavailable. I think he's still floating around in space, all right. The original Mickey Mouse Club was created by Walt Disney himself, and originally it was a traveling live theater show, but it first aired on ABC in what year, Oh my god, sixty nine seventy two, nineteen fifty five, and after a brief run, became a syndication show in the nineteen seventies.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 9: See, I was thinking the syndication date. Yeah, that's what I thought about. You, Josh always goes straight to syndication.
Speaker 1: All I can think about is I was just telling the people on skull mic that a story came out that a guy died at Disney World, and then they say he died while on the ride, on one of the rides there, and then when I looked it up, he died on It's a small world. Oh my, I'm like, wow, of all the as that could take you out that, I mean, it's not a very aggressive ride. Well, it was the cancer that was aggressive. It was a heart attack.
Speaker 9: A foreign war and you round that corner and see the little Vietnamese children.
Speaker 1: PTSD. Okay, if if it's.
Speaker 2: Like the TV show Ghosts, where you in the afterlife, you're kind of confined to the building you died in.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's a terrible, terrible god the music over and over the Japanese version.
Speaker 2: Okay, now you're singing Kyle's mind bit. But I like it. I appreciate it. And last but not least, in the hot sheet today, you know, this one I thought was so stupid. I've seen a bunch of uh this story being posted all right, But Fish, the jam band, Fish with a PHU. They just had a what was it three night to the triple header at Ruoff Music Center in Noblesville last weekend. And the fans love the Fish fans, They ate it up. They had a great time. The prosecutor, the Hamilton County Prosecuting Attorney's Office not so much. And it's like, duh, are you kidding me? They posted a Facebook post condemning the quote significant quantities of suspected psilocybin, mushrooms, meth, N fhetamine, LSD, heroin, fentanyl, MDMA, marijuana and nitrous oxide end quote.
Speaker 1: Eshly at one Sublime song where he just starts rattling, you know, nitrous heroin and PCP and all all the different types of this stuff. That's what they were. Of course, that's at a fish concert. Isn't that just expected? It's a fish show.
Speaker 2: Fish is July tenth to twelfth stint Law enforcement of Hamilton County arrested five fans. I mean, if you named more drugs than people you arrested for drug dealing in possession during the band's three show run. Says frankly, we are disappointed in the number of people who showed up to engage in illicit behavior.
Speaker 1: Nerd.
Speaker 2: The expected eye rolling from Facebook commenters followed the county prosecutor statement, well.
Speaker 1: Duh, We're not as one of us disappointed in New druggies.
Speaker 2: Even the Rolling Stone took a stab at shooting fish in a barrel but decided the joke was too obvious. Drugs at a fish concert is a real fork found in a kitchen sort of thing. Users noted, expecting that this crowd is not going to be partaking in recreational drug use is just kind of tone deaf, excellent use of police resources. A couple said, next up finding birds in the sky. Sorry that the guys are.
Speaker 1: Bad, they're super bad for you and all that stuff, but the people who would go to a fish concert are kind of experts, So I don't even worry about them as much. I think they know what they're doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the venue claims to have a zero tolerance drug policy, says a spokesperson from Live Nation, the entertainment giant that owns an op rates the venue and referred to Indie Star to the Hamilton Kuty Sheriff's office, when asked for comment on the arrests or whether the venue will strengthen its existing guidelines. I think Fish will be back and everybody will be just fine. It's Friday. Let's see what's streaming this weekend. What you can watch on your various streaming platforms. Netflix has season four of The Ultimatum Merrier Move On, which is one of those Nicholas sche Vanessa Leche shows where they take people who are already coupled up and try to ruin their lives. The Real Wolf of Wall Street is on Paramount Plus, sort of a you've seen the movie, Now Hear the Real Story kind of documentary. Scott Peterson The New Evidence for people who still people who still are into that.
Speaker 1: That's going on.
Speaker 2: A and E Ryder Die is on Prime Video and action comedy where Octavia Spencer is shocked to learn her longtime best friend, Hannah Watingham is an international assassin. Will Ferrell, Molly Shannon, Chris Parnell, and Luke Wilson are in The Hawk, which is a comedy.
Speaker 1: I think it's a series Golf one, right, Yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: About a washed up golfer trying to regain his former glory, which is a little bit kind of like Apple TV's Stick with Owen Wilson, which we started watching and didn't really get very far into. Anya Taylor Joys stars with Annete Benning and Timmy Timothy Oliphant Elephant yea close enough in Lucky, a bank heist gone Wrong series on Apple TV. And last but not least, if you haven't seen Obsession yet, the paywall is down. It is streaming exclusively on Peacock starting today. And that's your hot sheet, brought to you by that mortgage guy Don Hey. If you have a mortgage quote, the number one mistake people make when they get that quote is just accepting it, signing the papers and saying this is my quote. You need to shop around. There's so many other things you would shop around for. A mortgage quote has to be one of the most important ones. And that mortgage guy Don wants to save you money.
Speaker 1: Find him on online at that mortgage guy don dot com. Quick Break Friends, don't worry. The Python conversation that I talked about, we are going to be talking to them in the Power Hour of the show. They had some issues with some animals, like I said, they have like a little animal reserve or like she said, sanctuary sanctuary. Yeah, so this is the woman who was the winner last year. We got to find out what's going on, like what's the nitty gritty on the Python Hunt. We're going to get into that in the Power Hour today. We got to pick a side. Before that, we got a bunch of other stuff and this Week in Florida is coming up next on the News Junkie Real Quick. Before this Week in Florida, I did see that they just released this audio and know why they released this, but god, I can imagine how cool this would be. Imagine you're a young kid and you're playing basketball in some public court and then somebody shows up to play basketball with you, and it's a celebrity. You're like, WHOA Like, just random celebrity shows up and wants to play a game of pickup basketball. I guess Adam Sandler does this all the time, and so he goes to play this Sandman and the Sandman goes out there and just looks for a place to play basketball. And they released this call. Here is July five, two thousand twenty six, a couple of weeks ago, thirty six fifty two nantuck A Public Safety. This line is recorded. Hi, I'm visiting your island right now, and I was wondering if you could answer a question. I like to play basketball. Is there any outdoor courts where people play? This guy has no idea. He's talking to Adam Sandler. Right He's gonna get home and his wife's gonna go, Hey, anything exciting happened at work today? A couple people call it call asking where basketball?
Speaker 11: One?
Speaker 1: Yeah, basketball courts, I don't know. Just go fine, a couple of kids playing basketball and join them. But this guy has no idea. He's talking to Adam Sandler. Off the top of my head, there's only one I can think of that's outside, and.
Speaker 4: I'm not even sure if it's available to the ball right now, but it's behind the meuse on back his lane.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you, I'll check it out all right. You know what you gotta love he didn't lean in and go hey, Adam Sandler, the Sandman here, and he didn't like try to throw his name around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he started doing a bunch of impressions. Good for him. I imagine playing a game though, and he shows up. Jesus all right, ready, sand Man just got done. Marion Taylor Swift. I want to play some b ball. Guy's mega famous. Let's do this thing. You're ready for this Week in Florida. Let's go here we go.
Speaker 4: He's giving you a recap of the most grown worthy stories in the state.
Speaker 1: It's this Week in Florida. Yeah, it is. The weekend is here.
Speaker 2: It means it's time to take a trip around the Sunshine State see some of the craziness that has gone on in the past seven days or so. And I believe this is an update because I think we talked about this guy already. I think you may have even stolen this story from the throes of This Week in Florida because it was a juicy one. But a man has been found guilty this week of having sex with a it's an object. Oh it's not so, it's not a woman having said, Wow, what a feminist.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Household object, A household object, A thinking around the studio, thinking of all the things that I could do this. Yours would be a vacuum, a vacuum cleaner. That's it, right?
Speaker 2: You remember this the guy the story of this dude, No, Kevin Westerhold. I don't know what he looks like, but apparently he was a former powerlifting champion and still competes in masters events.
Speaker 1: He's fifty one years old.
Speaker 2: He entered a no contest plead to indecent exposure in connection with the incident earlier this year at Windsor Hills Resort near Disney World and Kassimi. Following POLA negotiations with prosecutors, Westerhold was sentenced this morning to twelve months probation, find two hundred and seventy one dollars weird amount, and ordered to undergo a psycho sexual evaluation within the next month.
Speaker 1: Well that's a little judgie, isn't it. This guy's got something wrong with them. Yeah, he looks like a relatively normal gentleman. Oh he's not.
Speaker 2: He's anything, but it sounds like he was originally charged with a felony, but that count was subsequently reduced when he was named in a misdemeanor criminal named in a misdemeanor criminal information that makes sense. He recently completed impatient treatment, though that care was not further described. According to police reports, a witness provided investigators with photos and videos showing Westerhold quote pleasuring himself with a vacuum in broad daylight end quote. Another witness spotted him naked from the waist down, consorting with the appliance outside a four bedroom property owned by a female relative. A detective provided this play by play, and I think I'm probably going to have to paraphrase a little bit. He continued to enter the handheld section of the vacuum before using it to suction the berries for further gratification.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 2: Two witnesses advised that the suspect was obviously committing these acts for his sexual pleasure, as he visibly reacted to the stimulus as if he were becoming more engaged in the acts. In addition to the vacuum episode, cops say Westerhold engaged in other illicit acts at a second vacation property. This guy should never go on vacation. Don't let this guy vacation ever, he'd be walking around the property either entirely nude or wearing only socks, wearing just a tank top. Witnesses gave cops doorbell video footage that recorded him naked in a shared hallway and masturbating. So wow, this guy, I mean months probation in two hundred and seventy one bucks and the psychosexual evaluation seems like it kind of got off easy. Maybe he does need an evaluation on second though, Yeah, I would think. So, Hey, there is a kid who has broken a record, and I find this to be a little suspect but also very very uh impressive. High school students aiming for the top of their class know that a perfect four point zero unweighted GPA is no longer enough to secure the valedictorian spot. You gotta aim higher. That's brutal, and a graduate from the Tampa area has taken the state's weighted grading system to a mathematical extreme. Now, the thing I take issue with is they have these loopholes in some areas where you can just add points to your GPA class.
Speaker 1: I don't even know you could go higher than a four point Oh you can go higher.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I think that like some of your honors classes and stuff get weighted higher. You get like a five point Yeah, but in this area in Tampa, like GPA means great point average, right, yeah, but they just let you add numbers to it. Hillsborough's old GPA system had no ceiling. Per the Tampa Bay Times, honors classes added zero point zero four points ap duel in Roma ib or in some of these others added zero point zero eight points, and those points kept stacking no matter how many advanced courses of student piled on. So Veba Buscar seventeen years old, graduated the spring from Steinberner High School near Tampa with an eleven point nine to nine rated GPA's talk about over a chi rok wait.
Speaker 1: Hold on, if a college turns you down, Vebev or whatever your name is, they really don't like you. Yeah, if you have a GPA of an eleven.
Speaker 2: For context, most high achieving graduation Palm Beach County land in the five to five point five range under local waiting systems, because Palm Beach County doesn't let you just tack on point after point after point. But this eleven point is believed to be the highest in Hillsborough County, likely a state record, and now they're trying to fix this to where you can never do it again. So this person has the record GPA, and there may never be a record GPA like that again because they're just changing the rules now. But I think like it's an average, it should be. It's kind of impossible to get.
Speaker 1: Pretty cool for him though that he's got that, he could just go out on top.
Speaker 2: You know what, I wouldn't hate it, but it says the Palm Beach County uses an honors point average system instead of stacking bonus points endlessly, regular as worth four point zero and honors level courses bumped out to four point five. This person, this Boss car has six AP classes in the sophomore year eight junior year due enrollment through UF and Hillsboro College online classes through Florida Virtual School.
Speaker 1: Every summer.
Speaker 2: He gave up lunch for an extra AP period and left campus during fourth period to squeeze in more coursework.
Speaker 1: Are you kidding me? The kid ditched lunch. He gave up his own lunch so he can get more credits.
Speaker 2: By the time he received his high school diploma, Boss Karr had already earned enough college credits to secure an associate's degree. He's headed to Duke University to study finance and economized.
Speaker 1: Woh, here you go for boscar. Congratulations, So good job.
Speaker 2: Florida has put to death one of its oldest prisoners in history and has another older one coming on Tuesday, a seventy four year old convicted murderer who is one of three older inmates scheduled for execution within the span of a month in the nation's busiest death penalty state. You got to have some sort of badge, I guess for us. Dennis Sokoor was pronounced dead at six sixteen pm following the three drug injects and at Florida Injection excuse me at Florida State Prison near Stark. He apologized several times to the victim's family, saying he was deeply sorry, and also thanked his own loved ones for their support over the years. He was a week older than the last seventy four year old inmate that they put to death. That was last month, and later this month they have an eighty year old, the state's first to jenarian facing a lethal injection.
Speaker 1: Is a little easier when they're that old. Is it like drugs?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Like I've just been an honest question. He has already one foot out of the door. You're you're eighty years old. I feel like it should take half the stuff, right, you would think so, But I think it just really kind of speaks to how long it takes to put somebody to death, because these crimes were committed I think before I was born. Yeah, he was convicted of killing Patricia Gifford on January first, nineteen eighty two, just hours after meeting the eighteen year old woman at a New Year's Eve party. It's crazy because whenever I hear these stories on go oh man, this is an old person. Should we really be doing this death row? And then whenever I hear the details of the crime that they were convicted of them, okay, all right, never mind.
Speaker 2: He could have used the assistance of that lady and that was getting her ass handed to her at the anxiety. Anxiety Golf clapped a smoking gun for this headline because somebody, uh somebody named Landon Spearman was arrested for indecent exposure, thus prompting the headline. Spearman posted busted for exposing his spear Man after repeatedly this says hectoring a woman is hectoring a thing?
Speaker 1: Or did they still bothering?
Speaker 10: Right?
Speaker 1: Okay? Yeah?
Speaker 2: After repeatedly hectoring a woman for photos of her feet, a man allegedly exposed himself and then following yeah, followed the victim around a Low's store before fleeing, Sorry, I mean to scare you, I thought. Strangely enough, hectory means.
Speaker 1: Talking to somebody in a loud, unpleasant, forceful voice. Photo.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know why I've done this to you so many times. And I was still like paused because I was expecting the definition to come next. A detailed arrest report says the victim told cops she was completing an Instacart delivery at Low's when an unknown man approached her and repeatedly requested photos of her feet. After declining the request, she accepted his phone numb in an effort to end the encounter and continue working. That was a mistake, I think. As she walked away, the man later identified as Spearman called out to her. When the victim turned around, Spearman intentionally exposed his flacid penis and declared, call me for some d bold he's scheduled for his quarterpeerment? Does that work?
Speaker 1: Like, has there been a history of this working in your life? It didn't work. I mean if it worked before, it didn't work this time. He had some of these guys do this stuff, and I go, was there ever a success with this? Did you ever go there check this out?
Speaker 2: At some point you think there would have to be or or else you know, what, what are you doing it for? Spearman is scheduled for a court appearance in August nineteenth for the misdemeanor case. Let's see, SAO has dropped these charges against these kids in Saint John's County, and I don't know why. It doesn't say they've reached out to learn why the charge was dropped. This car was going down I ninety f and shooting fireworks at other cars. Oh I saw that. Did you see how they they busted him? That this appoint of the story problem a helicopter. Yeah, they followed him for ten miles. I've never heard of this before.
Speaker 1: They were overhead in a helicopter and they saw that they were blasting stuff out of their car.
Speaker 2: See if you can look it up the video, because I saw a still from it and you could see like they got the still picture from exactly when the mortar kind of exploded, so you could see the pieces of firework going everywhere. But it says a passenger was caught on camera by a Sheriff's Office helicopter launching fireworks at passing cars in Saint John's County on July fourth. Fireworks can be seen flying from the vehicle and landing in the median and in oncoming lanes of the highway. They pulled the vehicle over and the men inside denied shooting fireworks from the car. The deputy said the vehicle was seen launching fireworks. The driver said, no, not us. He goes unfortunately, was captured by our air unit. The driver once again says, no, not us.
Speaker 1: Is this it? Hold on yeah to see this is the actual interaction, you know, shriffs reports.
Speaker 13: Driver is, ah, this vehicle was seen launch some fireworks out of the past.
Speaker 9: Not us.
Speaker 1: With a vehicle pull out found ninety they appear to be shuting the.
Speaker 2: Fireworks out of the window with cars on the interstate.
Speaker 1: The guys, damn lot. They told him it was captured. No, no, not us, not us. Yeah.
Speaker 2: They The deputy at some point says, you see that little flashy dot up there and the driver said, it's a drone. He goes, no, that's a helicopter who's been following you for the past ten miles shooting stuff out of your car. Damn uh, he goes, Are you going to stick with the story, because let's be real, it's on a recording. Uh. An Orlando man accused of snatching a child near a hotel pool did push ups while fleeing the police. I don't know, I don't know what kind of flex that is. They restrained. Uh Rodney Bowie Junior, thirty two years old, who they said was not a guest at the hotel approach the gated pool area, picked up a girl turning away from the pool, and then he said, upon my arrival, I immediately began assisting with the apprehension of Bowie Junior. When he fled, another man told him stop running, and Bowie or Bowie soon began doing push ups in front of a nearby car wash, making it a lot easier for him to catch. I would think, and last but not leasting this week in Florida, man, how how time does pass? I felt like we were just talking about this and now the sixty day temporary ban on importing sloths into Florida has expired. Oh no, no, that's like they just did that littilla. That can't do like a permanent one. They can only do a temporary one because a permanent one would be more like legalese and more legislation. So they did the sixty day temporary ban. It has expired, even as eight rescued sloths continue their rehabilitation at a Florida Zoo. The FWC issued the emergency ban in May following the investigation in a Sloth World, and then the temporary band was intended to prevent additional sloths from being brought in. But it's over now, so you can bring in your sloths maybe just you know, try to do better than the last guy did. And that's it for this week in Florida. All right, quick break. When we come back, I've got a bunch of stuff to try to work in. Before we get to the Power Hour, we should have this interview about the python hunt with a woman who won it about a year ago, and that's going to be an interesting tale there. I got a lot of questions asked because there's some stuff that people don't know about this that was in this documentary.
Speaker 1: You're going to find it interesting. I'm sure that we got dispatches, video dispatches, all sorts of stuff on the way. Don't move, it's all coming up next on the news Junkie. I've seen so many stories about the Sheriff's department as in states like Florida, they start to push this property tax amendment vote forward, and I'm somebody who supports this. I think that there are ways to do this that will make it so people, especially people who own their homes, people who are older in many cases, don't have to perpetually pay these property taxes. But you know, you're always going to have people who get upset. Most of these are people who take the free money. They got their hands out taking the taxpayer dollars. And one of the groups that keeps complaining about this tax amendment vote that will get rid of property taxes for poor people, people with homes lower than two hundred and fifty thousand dollars. I think there's like an entry level where they're going to kick away the property taxes for those homes, and then another level above that that they hope to get to at some point in time. But they're not mansions, right, These are for people who have lower value homes and they hope to make it so they don't have to pay property taxes forever. And the sheriff's office is like, WHOA, We're not going to be able to do our jobs. We're not going to have this. And I looked into one of these in particular, Michael Scott is the district's sixth commissioner, which is kind of filly in and of itself, and they're talking about shortfalls if they push this thing that will get rid of property taxes for some people in Florida, and they said Orange County, Florida in particular, could lose hundreds of millions of dollars if voters decided to get rid of property taxes in November. According to the Orange County Commissioner, Michael Scott says, when you talk about one hundred billion lesson funds to be able to run any business for profit, nonprofit, that's going to be some very tough conversations. In particular coming forward is the Orange County Sheriff's office, and they go, how are we supposed to function like this? And I want to tell you a little bit about this so you know what's going on. First things first, the Orange County Sheriff's office asked for the next budget for half a billion dollars. In one county in the state of Florida, the sheriff's office asked for half a billion dollars. Over five hundred million dollars, right, that's how much money they asked for. And they're like, we're not going to be able to do it if we don't get this.
Speaker 2: And then I wanted to just see over time, how much money have they been paying the sheriff's office over there in Orange County. And in nineteen ninety three, the budget for Orange County sheriff was sixty eight million dollars.
Speaker 1: That was working out fine. So they did the thing you always do, you ask for a little bit more. In two thousand and four it went from sixty eight million to one hundred and forty seven million dollars. And the sheriff was like, all right, now we got the money. Now we're funded. Now things are good. Now we're doing all right. Next time the budget came around, they said, we need a little more, though it's not going down. Maybybe it'll go down someday. But the sheriff's budget now has gone from one hundred and forty seven to a high undred and eighty eight million. Then it went to two hundred and eight million. Then it went to two hundred and thirty four million in twenty fifteen, then up to a quarter billion dollars in twenty seventeen, then up to two hundred and sixty six million dollars in twenty nineteen, twenty twenty one, it went to three hundred and sixteen million, twenty twenty two three hundred and thirty one million, So three hundred and thirty one million was just four years ago. Right now they want half a billion dollars. I ask you, when you see this, you see it go to twenty twenty fours, three hundred and seventy three million, and now up to the proposed budget of four hundred and seventy million because they had to back down on the half a billion dollars they were requesting for. Doesn't it start to seem to you like these giant, these giant places that want so much of our funding from tax dollars just keep putting their hands out and keep telling you every single time it's just more expensive to do this, because that's what happens. They tell you, we can't do it for any cheaper. If you took this money away from us, all bedlam and break out, all hell would blit, break loose. The sheriff's department from from nineteen ninety three went from sixty eight million dollars to fund the whole thing to now half a billion dollars. That's crazy, that's absolutely crazy to me. And you might say, well, Sean, so did the population it grew. The population grew. That is not locked in with the population at all. That is gross overspending, and then each time going well, this is how much it cost us, This is how much a cost us.
Speaker 2: This is how much of costes. Alien says because of the inflated executive salaries. Some of that is just overall everything is inflated.
Speaker 1: You know, some of these sheriff's office and police departments, they spend money on all sorts of stuff. I saw a story. This wasn't in Orange County, Florida, but I'll tell you just real quick. This was a story from the drive dot com and it says how Texas police spent four point five million dollars on for Chevy Tahoes, and they said, it's it's hard to make a twenty twenty six Chevy Tahoe cost more than a million dollars until you start packing it with military grade public surveillance technology. And they bought these vehicles, these SUVs from an Israeli surveillance tech company, Foulco Net, brought to you by a company called Cognite, Israeli's polunteer rival volunteer volunteer. I always say that wrong pollunteer secretly tracks people by intercepting the connection between your phone and the nearest cell tower. The idea is that you can strap this bad boy to a helicopter, backpacker Chevy Tahoe and gobble up everybody's dad.
Speaker 2: Why Chevy Taho Why is Chevy Tahoe getting all the mentioned here? That's what they wanted mus to a four f one fifty two. They said, this is already in use in Florida. This year, Texas State Police bought a little fleet of these SUVs for four point five million dollars and it was a total of four of them. So they spent four point five million dollars on four sh Chevy tahoes so they can intercept our communications on our cell phones while they drive around.
Speaker 1: Boo Like, these are the kind of things that they spend money on. And then when they go to you and you go, we need to cut back a little bit. This is getting too expensive. You need to trim your budget. We have to trim our budgets as taxpayers. Right, I'm sure there's something that you've had to cut off of your budget. You've had to cut things back a little bit with the economy tightening up.
Speaker 2: When I hear that they spent four and a half million dollars on for Chevy tahoes, I'm convinced that somewhere, like if they go to the Chevy dealership and the website's like, hey, if you put in your email address, we'll knock two thousand dollars off the prince of the car.
Speaker 1: And they're like, nope, not no, we want to pay full boat for these things. So this is what they do a lot of times.
Speaker 2: The budget is what it is, and you go, it's just this expensive to run a sheriff's department for a county like this. And when you start needling into the data, they get real angry because you discover that there's all these nice toys and stuff that they've bought. It's like you being a little kid buying every single toy in the world and insisting to your parents that's the budget you actually need to survive and get everything done.
Speaker 1: This is what's happened with a lot of these police departments across our country. And so when they start crying poor mouth, you go, hey, a couple of years ago, you literally had two hundred million dollars less than your budget, and there wasn't that much of a difference in the population, there wasn't that much of a difference in the service provided. But now you need hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars more. And they say, well, if you get rid of this property tax, we want an additional tax on the people. So they just want the money no matter what. They have no world in which.
Speaker 2: They can consider cutting back like you have to, like I have to, like your neighbors have to. They're a big giant organization, so they don't ever have to do it. And then they could tell you, you know, almost like that that fear mongering list about daylight saving time earlier, where it tells you all the bad things that'll happen, they'll be like, oh, I free to that kind does I wonder if you're responded, if if you know fund us.
Speaker 1: Here's what's gonna happen. Right, There'll be bank robberies every day, and people will be killed and murdered and just absolute nonstyle and you'll get fed. I'm saying you could slice a couple hundred mill We're gonna get anxiety. We need our surveillance state tahoes.
Speaker 2: I guess so, right, four point five million dollars on four Chevy Tahoes.
Speaker 1: What's a Chevy Tahoe cost? At the center of it? Like, ah, that much? Forty grand for Chevy Ta that's too low. Fifty grand. They spent four point four eighty seven million dollars vehicles.
Speaker 2: It's an MSRP starts at sixty seven hundred dollars.
Speaker 1: The antenna for it costs twenty seven thousand dollars. Get out of here looking at the actual receipt for this will take quick break when we come back. Jury duty is coming up in just a moment. Here. Also in the Power Hour, we've got the interview about this Python hunt going on once more in the State of Florida, all them around it, all the things you wish you knew, you're gonna know because it's coming up next on the news Junkie Jury Duty on the way. In fact, let's just get into this because there's a story somebody sent over early that I want to explore. So let's do jury duty. Court is now in session, so put your phone down and pay attention before we call bail it over to whip your ass. You're knowing jury duty with the Noos Junkie Jury Duty brought to you by the one the only mode of the do it law firm. Injured on the go, just call Mo eight hundred Calmo eight hundred Calmo, or go to just Callmo dot com. After an accident, there's lots of places that you can lean on that will help you battle those insurance companies. Those greedy insurance companies do not deserve your money. I want you to keep as much of that as possible, and I want you to get more. If you're hurting an accent, that's what you're looking for, that kind of justice eight hundred Calmo eight hundred Camo or go to Justcalmo dot com. Here's the story. Several people sent over actually, and it says a man went wild and was accused of hitting a child on an e bike and he slapped him. He slapped the kid in the face. Apparently, I don't know what the details are there, So let's go into this with WESH telling us what's happening here. Maybe the kid deserved it, he could have had in jail.
Speaker 2: Accused of hitting an eleven year old riding an e bike with US car.
Speaker 9: This happened Wednesday, yesterday, And you're windowmere, but the attorney representing Gregory Hoole is pushing back on the charges.
Speaker 1: Lush was Avery everea. It breaks down the case. What's the truth here? Very very cool.
Speaker 6: A man accused of intentionally driving his car toward an eleven year old riding an e bike appeared before a judge for the first time on Thursday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's so many boomers who get heated about these the East scooters and stuff that I'm surprised this isn't happening even more than it is right now. But that's the tension at the center of all the Thirty four.
Speaker 6: Year old Gregory Hule faces charges of aggravated assault with a motor vehicle child abuse and criminal mischief, but the attorney representing him says there's more to these allegations.
Speaker 1: Nowhere in there does it say he was ever in fear.
Speaker 6: In the arrest affidavit from the Orange County Sheriff's Office, investigators say this all happened around four pm on Wednesday.
Speaker 5: The eleven year old child was riding their e bike.
Speaker 6: With two friends when they say Hull ran past a stop sign, making a right turn and going in the opposite direction traffic lane where the child was with his e bike. The child advised investigators that Who'll hit the e bike with his vehicle and they were able to jump into the grass. The child advised the vehicle hit his leg and the e bike.
Speaker 1: Oh, this is not looking good for the guy. This sounds like he just plowed into somebody who was on one of these e bikes and was hauling ass in this area.
Speaker 6: The child says they began recording on his cell phone, but Hoo'll smacked his arm, then grabbed the cell phone and smashed it into the ground. The child's parents told investigators they wanted to press charge as a deputy was speaking to that family.
Speaker 5: The affidavit says We'll made his own nine one one call.
Speaker 6: Whull told investigators he was not home around three forty five when someone banged three times on the front door of his residence. When they opened the door, no one was there. Who'll advise they scared everyone inside his home.
Speaker 1: So he thinks this was like a ding dong ditch on an e bike. That's what it sounds like here.
Speaker 2: They interviewed the kid or some kid on the news this morning, and I was like, oh, did they he accuse me of ding dong ditchenam and I didn't ding dong ditchum.
Speaker 1: So he's saying that the kid must have done that, the kid saying it wasn't me. I didn't do this, and then he just attacked this kid who maybe was unrelated.
Speaker 2: We have more.
Speaker 6: Pm Hole says the camera captured someone in a helmet and a reflective vest running back to an e bike.
Speaker 5: He'll return to the neighborhood.
Speaker 6: Justin le' see the footage, and he says he saw a child matching that description. Who'll pulled over to the left and said the juvenile and the bike laid down his bike in the road and jumped onto the sidewalk. Houl got out of his vehicle and asked them why they were harassing his family. Hull told investigators he snatched the child's cell phone without touching them and smashed it into their street.
Speaker 1: All I know, I think you can't even do that, right, No, you kid just grab somebody's cell phone and smash it. So I think that alone is bad.
Speaker 2: We actually had this discussion on another E Byte case where the guy grabbed the cell phone out of the kid's hand, and I think got charged with felony robbery because you were you were robbing the person to their face and and a phone is like one thousand dollars now, so the value goes up too. Or is it a felony robbery just because you're robbing a person with them present, Yeah, with with like like, you're not stealing from them while they're gone, you're stealing from them from their person and grabbed it out of his hand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So there he goes. Maybe there's something else in here.
Speaker 6: All though the Whole says he went home after Hole's initial appearance, I was able to get his attorney on the phone. He says these charges are a misleading characterization.
Speaker 1: There is no damage to mister Whole. Vehicle or the e bike that's even listed here in the police report. If you hit an e bike with a car, there's going to be damage there.
Speaker 6: I judged that whole's total bond at six hundred.
Speaker 1: That's not much, but his bonds only at seven thousand dollars. Did he not bond out on seven thousand dollars? He is a man of principle, clearly, what Josh, wouldn't that mean you have to put seven hundred dollars?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: That yeah, I mean you would think they could be able to put that up. But maybe he did eventually, says man accused of hitting child on e bike and slapping him in Windomere. And we'll see if there's anything else with the case. It's just to me, it's an example of what I see happening over and over and over again. Old people hate these little e bikes and these scooters. And they're not just the ones from Lime and these other companies that have them around your neighborhood and you see them all in the grass and stuff. A lot of the young kids are buying them. They're buying them on Amazon, and then they're flying around and going down the sidewalks and it's like this kind of stuff sets off a lot of old people for whatever reason. All right, let's see what we have for you send us your dispatches. To join the show, all you have to do is go over to the newsjunkie dot com hit record on your first dispatch right now, here's not Bob Sakramano.
Speaker 17: Hello, we're literally living in nineteen eighty four right now.
Speaker 1: In the book we are.
Speaker 17: Nobody's paid attention to any kind of warring that they were received. Techies and years ago warned us about this about computers and the government just taking over and surveiling everything. And it goes back to the principle of the frog being dropped into.
Speaker 1: A boiling pot of water. It's just gonna drop jump out. I've heard of it.
Speaker 17: Whereas now, if you just put them in there to lukewarming, just keep turning the water up a little bit more and more, it gets used to it and we're not going to do anything.
Speaker 1: So I said, just.
Speaker 17: Slash the budgets, throw their tea in the harbor, and let's move on.
Speaker 1: Uh okay, thank you for the dispatch. Not Bob Sacamano for me. I just think this is a simple thing and it reminds me of an episode of the Office. So many things remind me of an episode of the Office, but there was an episode of the Office where Michael Scott, the manager of the office, had to be informed with property tax without no, no, no, not the property tax guy, Michael Scott. Michael Scott, the leader of dunder Mifflin, had to be told by his accountant what a surplus was. He did not know what that was.
Speaker 2: And in it is a very valuable lesson because if your company asks you how much it costs to run your branch for the year, you give them an amount of money. If you don't spend that amount of money by the end of the year, your company's going to be.
Speaker 1: Like, whoa, you had a surplus. That means it's going to cost less money next year to fund you and to get all the same stuff done. So guess who never has any surpluses. Any of these.
Speaker 2: Organizations like sheriff's offices and local police and a million other different departments that take taxpayer dollars, they never have a surplus because they just spend it all every year and they go this is how.
Speaker 1: Much it costs. They never want to go downwards.
Speaker 2: They want to go up up, and then you realize, hey, all of us are paying a really significant price for this, when there's just got to be a way we can get the same exact services, the same quality of services, and everything else for just much less money. They don't want the budget cuts though, and then the budget cuts come with a fear mongering that I was telling you about. We have a tts from the New York Mobster Voice. There has been some some claims that the mobster voice doesn't actually sound like a mobster voice. I think it really does, but maybe this changes your mind if you don't think it does. Here's the New York mobster voice. Hi Fellas, Happy Friday.
Speaker 18: Hey Sean, I just wanted to compliment your pigeon shirt and wearing it in memoriam for the pigeon lady from home alone too dying.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Thank you, talk about the true fan. I appreciate it.
Speaker 9: I'll laugh too. It doesn't sound sounds like a Turkish man.
Speaker 2: It sounds like an Italian mobster war from not the only person to say Turkish.
Speaker 9: Why Turkish? She just sounds Turkish? No, No, I very much like pigeon shirt.
Speaker 1: Here's another one. Maybe maybe this will make more sense to you. Here's another one.
Speaker 18: If I were those kids, I would just keep buying basketballs and having them go in his yard.
Speaker 1: But don't put your name on it. Yeah, that sounds like an Italian mobster, right, sure, by a Turkish guy, not played by a Turkish guy, just from the streets of New York, from Little Italy.
Speaker 2: An Italian mobster. It sounds like you know, any generic Italian mobster voice.
Speaker 1: Sure, all right, Well maybe I'm coping bugle doesn't sound like that.
Speaker 2: At least they're not setting into sexy lady tt yes anymore because that one, that one got.
Speaker 1: A little hot under the house. Not flirty girl anymore. No, no, no, no, all right, quick break when we come back where we've got an interview, I believe all locked in for you. And right now they're doing the Florida Python Hunt, the yearly python hunt that they do with these people go out and they make a challenge of trying to capture as many pythons, which is an invasive species as they can. Courtney said, you got to see this documentary, this documentary that just made about it, and we watched it, and the people are absolute characters who engage in this and some of the stuff that happens behind the scenes.
Speaker 2: You got to hear about this. I've got a lot of questions and I'm sure you will as well. So a previous winner of the competition to gather all these pythons as we're in the middle of it, it's going to be joining us in just a moment here, and that is coming up next on the news, Junkie, See.
Speaker 1: Why wait any longer. Let's just do it. Okay, let's do the Power Hour. They said it couldn't keep done. Then they said, you mother Lea, it's time for the Power Hour on the news. Chunky, thanks for not making the clip. We're embarrassing since.
Speaker 2: Had I had some doozies that would have been very uncomfortable for our guests here today, would have made the transition more awkward. We've got a friend joined us here, Taylor stan Berry.
Speaker 1: Are you with us? I'm here there she is, Okay, Taylor's with us? And Taylor is you're taking part this year in the Python hunt as well? You won last year, right.
Speaker 8: Yes, yes, and I'm trying this year. But it's been a slower.
Speaker 5: Year for me, all right?
Speaker 1: Why slower this year? Do you think because you guys have done so good in getting the pythons out of there, there's less of them to catch, or is there another reason I want to say.
Speaker 8: That, you know what I mean, less python's means hey, we're doing our job right. But also the weather during this challenge hasn't been the greatest. Been a lot of rain and colder nights, which doesn't make move. So we'll see. I don't know why I'm getting lower numbers, but we'll see.
Speaker 1: One of the things I hear about this python hunt, Taylor and I learned a lot of this from watching the documentary that's out there on Amazon Prime called The Python Hunt, which was super interesting and kind of highlighting some of the characters in the python hunting world. When you guys go out and do this, a lot of it is not quite as exciting as you might think. You have to do a lot of like waiting and just looking and like just trying to find the next python to get.
Speaker 8: Yeah, people all the time are like, take me out. It looks like the most exciting night, and it will be twelve hours. I'm driving around, half asleep and I'm finding not even a native snake, Like I'm so bored. You got to bring snacks. So it's really not as glamorous as people think a lot of times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you get out there, what do you mean, what's the tools of the trade. What is it that you have to have to try to get one of these big giant snakes that get absolutely massive? What do you bring along with you?
Speaker 8: So I always say, like, python hunting is fifty for percent of knowing weather conditions, where to go, you know, get on a boat, get in the cargo, hiking, know what you're doing. It's also fifty percent luck in good timing. To be honest, I don't bring anything too crazy besides myself.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, I was watching this documentary. Have you seen the documentary, by the way, the Python Hunt documentary?
Speaker 8: I have not, I'll be honest, I have not yet.
Speaker 1: Okay, watching it. It's interesting because they showed a couple of sides of this, and I want to know if they're real or not, because Josh and Celia and you guys got to know this. There's some people who don't exactly support the python Hunt, and they were out there in this documentary putting fake pythons out into the woods to try to like make people think, and they were. They were making them out of like those pool noodles, you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they wrap them in like snake skin. And so have you ever encountered the people who try to put fake snakes out there to trip you up?
Speaker 8: So not fake snakes, but I've seen people I haven't seen people by I've seen or heard about people putting like dead snakes. So pythons are very caught or pythons hit by cars and they'll put them in the road, you know, so people get piped up, Like, look at all these pythons in the road. It's already dead. So no pool noodle snakes for me.
Speaker 1: Yet. Another thing that they pointed out in this is the python hunt brings in people like you, like you're a professional, you do this, you have big social media following, and you show people how you you know, you rescue animals, you do all sorts of stuff, right, But then there's some people who just come in and all they want is like the tourism side of it, and they have no idea what they're doing, but they want to participate in this thing. How bad of a problem is that? What kind of stuff have you seen out there?
Speaker 8: That's why we suggest when people that have never gone python hunting or like snake catching in general, I always suggest going with professional first, because I mean, like me, if I start a new job, I don't know what the hell I'm doing. I need someone to train me. So I always say, I mean the pythons, people just think they're going to be eighteen feet crossing the road all the time, they'll be this small. Or I've seen a lot of people run over made of snakes because they're they don't see them. So I always suggest going out of a professional first, just to kind of get the grasp of it, just because we don't need people killing the wrong snake or just not knowing what they're doing.
Speaker 1: Really, now, when you go out, are you buy yourself? Because I've got to be honest with you, Like, some of the snakes that I see people bring in with this python hunt are huge. You don't look like you're that gigantic to be taking down one of these big snakes. Do you do you bring people with you? Do you do? You just know how to do it. You're tougher than I'm imagining or what So I do.
Speaker 8: That with my husband most of the time, just because this is kind of like our date night.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, that's your date night.
Speaker 8: Particularly you know he's not there to like save me. I'm not distressed, okay, really boring, So I need someone to hang out with. I'm pretty antisocial otherwise. I don't bring a bunch of randoms with me, right, But I mean I've gone out plenty of nights by myself. Caught a python. I catch them on my way home from work by myself, So I can do it myself, but I prefer to be with him.
Speaker 2: What was your husband into this kind of stuff when you guys met or was it something that you sort of roped him into?
Speaker 8: Yeah, so we actually met on a Facebook reptile page. I thought he was real cute. I posted a couple of snakes. He thought I was cute. So that's how it got started.
Speaker 1: Did you did you?
Speaker 2: Do you have your pick of the letter with stuff like this, Because there's not a lot of attractive people I would imagine catching pythons out there.
Speaker 8: I will say, there's back You know, I started in the reptile world thirteen years ago. There weren't nearly as many girls back then, so I mean I was you know, I was pretty, I was good. Everyone wanted me. Not really, no girl, So I think I was like one of five girls on that group.
Speaker 2: When I googled when when Sean told me we were having you on today and I googled your name and they have do you have?
Speaker 4: You?
Speaker 19: Do?
Speaker 2: You google yourself? Often just to see like what what? What shows up when people look up your name?
Speaker 8: I have because I'm a nonprofit now and I was like, I want to see how legit I look on Google. So I'm like, oh, I look good on there. Okay, we got everything looks good.
Speaker 2: The first thing that people ask. The people also ask is is Taylor Stanbury married?
Speaker 1: Is that flattering? Or is that like kind of annoying?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 8: I love it, like I said, I am, especially not nowadays. I'm not the only girl in the reptile field. There's tons of hotties, you know, So it's you know, I can't take all the credit or anything. But yeah, a lot of guys message me, I'll be honest, A lot of them are nice. They just want to take me out to dinner. Supposedly, yeah, you know, too creepy. The commenters are rude, but the people messaging me are nice.
Speaker 1: So you won? Was it last year? You won You won the Python Hut. Okay, you won the Python Hut last year grand prize. What what do you get? What do you take home for winning that?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 8: So I got ultimate overall like most pythons, I got ten.
Speaker 1: Ten thousand, though it was taxed, so they take the taxes out. What did you end up getting? So do you you get like half that?
Speaker 8: I don't remember exactly. I think it was like fifteen or twenty percent tax Okay, don't take.
Speaker 1: My word for it, right, So.
Speaker 8: I still I still got money. I was just you know, I got to put that out there.
Speaker 2: So you go out there and you're spending all these hours to do it, so it's kind of like it's kind of rough, but you do it more for the content that you're making. You do it because you love it. Like what's the driving force for you?
Speaker 8: Yes, Like I say, it's really about conservation. I'm not doing this because I like to euphonize snakes. I mean, of course you got to make some social media content with it. I love showing the wildlife and all that, but really just a conservation. I love native wildlife. I love some native snakes, the alligators, the birds, all that. So when I'm out there removing these pythons. It's really just to help them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I know a lot of people will see it and they go, they're just going out there and they're killing all of these snakes. From what I heard, tell me if this is true, or tell me if I'm absolutely wrong on this, and it's fine, You're not gonna hurt my feelings. I heard that they believe the pythons may be so prominent in South Florida because there was this big area that had a bunch of pythons and that was hit during Hurricane Andrew, and those pythons, because of the hurricane destroying this facility, kind of worked their way into the wild and that may have been like the seed for so many of these python problems that we face now. Is that true or is that a bunch of nonsense.
Speaker 8: So there's many different variations of how it got started. I don't know one hundred percent how it got started. There's been talked. So there's two different populations, one in Miami, one in Naples, so then intertwined. So obviously you know it wasn't just the one facility that escaped us. There's many different opinions of people of what they think happened or how it got started.
Speaker 1: And then when they're out there that nothing kills them, right, they're just too big.
Speaker 8: So as babies, like all those hatchlings that come out, a lot of them actually get eaten.
Speaker 11: Eaten.
Speaker 8: Possums love them, alligators love them. Other snakes love them, birds love them. So a lot of the babies actually do get eaten. But once they hit you know, seven ten feet, there's not much to eat them except alligators or us those humans.
Speaker 1: All right, A lot of people have questions in chat about this. Somebody is saying, can you shoot them? Or how do you like kill the pythons when you get them? For this Python challenge? What do you do? So there's so for.
Speaker 8: The pythonchallenge specifically, if you're novice, you have to euthanize on site. You want a lot of these firearms during the challenge, so you have to use like bolt guns or air guns, and then you have to pit the brain afterwards. I'm in the professional league, so I don't have to euthanize on site, but during the challenge, I still can't use a firearm, but I can at least take home and euthanize. But as a contractor for overall, I can use a firearm, but it's not good to just shoot them when you see them because a lot of times you only see a little glimmer of the body and if you just like shoot the sides one, that's not humane, that's really mean, and too they'll probably get away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Gosha, what was the word that you said that you have to do to the brain?
Speaker 8: You have to pit it. So you know, with any animal, you want to make sure they are euthanized right away. You don't want them half euthanized or anything. So you have to bolt them or air gun them in the head, and then you have to pit the brain afterwards, like with a screw driver or something to make sure it is fully euthanized. That's why, like, I don't I don't love that part. You know, people come out here doing the challenge and they're excited for that.
Speaker 1: You don't want to do that part.
Speaker 8: I love that part. I don't post about that part. I don't talk about it much.
Speaker 2: So when you're out there doing that, Like, is it common to run into other people who are participating in the Python challenge or is it is the the amount of land that they do this in so vast that you don't really see them that often.
Speaker 8: Oh so during the challenge, it's so I've only ever done the challenge last year in this year because it's a madhouse. It's a circus. There are you know, another six nine hundred people doing it, and we're only allowed to hunt certain roads and so it's just kind of like align and conveyor belt of cars and it's like, oh my gosh, maybe I'll be the lucky one to find the python.
Speaker 1: Are people running after the same snake because there's so many people.
Speaker 8: Sometimes I've seen I mean like I haven't gotten into the fights or anything, but I've seen people kind of argue like I saw first, I sawt first, He'll be a cargo in this way, cargo in that way. So you know, it's kind of they work it out themselves. It's kind of a that house out there.
Speaker 1: People are asking about the tank behind you as well in this in this shot that we're seeing, are there snakes in that? Or what are we having there? What do you do? Now?
Speaker 8: Those are turtles. I got albino reddyard sliders, some rescues, and I got one diamondback terrapin turtle.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, I see, Like I said earlier, is that she's got to take care of all her animals. At some rescue places, what kind of animals do you actually take care of?
Speaker 8: So my rescue, a nonprofit, officially focuses mostly on primates, so you know, people get primates as pets. I did two when I was young. I still have them. I realized are not the best pet. So now I take in ones that kind of you know, attack their owners. And now that's what I have. Or I also have tortoises and snakes and hualas.
Speaker 1: Okay, I feel you have to be careful with the chuas, right.
Speaker 8: They're a little crazy, especially too. I caught on a snake call because I do venomous snake relocations for people's and there's two raggedy little chiuahuas humping each other in someone's yard. They're like, I don't know, these chuhas just came over here, and I did a lot of work on them. But they look good now, but they're a little nasty.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, all right, well, I see. You know It's funny is when I saw your Instagram page, I saw that there's some people who have been longtime listeners to the show.
Speaker 4: I E.
Speaker 1: Pisenberg, who already followed you that you were on their radar.
Speaker 2: Well, that's because I talked about her last year when she won it, and during this week in Florida, Oh is it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we brought this up. Yeah, because I'm seeing all her Her Instagram content is pretty popular on what is it tailor too Short on Instagram? Yeah, okay, Taylor too Short where you can find Taylor Stanbury over on Instagram and you can see what's happening with the Wild Stanbury Sanctuary and everything else that she's out there doing. So you said it's not going that well this year though, for the for the Hunt, you don't think you're gonna be a victor again.
Speaker 8: I can't talk numbers. That's one thing you get disqualified for if you're like, hey, I got this many or whatever. But you know, I got to like play it cool, like I can't be like, oh my god, I have so many right now?
Speaker 1: Have you seen anybody else out there in the competition this year that had caught like a massive one already?
Speaker 8: So everyone's very hush hush, So it's secretive. I've heard talk to some people getting big ones, but you don't know if they're not as professional, how big or anything. I've heard some people getting nests, but again I don't know if they've gotten five babies or fifty babies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you ever have any protesters like hounding you about this stuff?
Speaker 8: I mean, hey, like I said, I've only done the Python Challenge two years in a row because it is kind of a mad house. A lot of people come down. Yeah, what the heck they're doing? So of course people are like, how could you enter that? But I'm like, they're gonna do it either way. Right, it's all about conservation. If I could get the word out there about like the good parts of the conservation and when the money they got don't find it?
Speaker 1: Gotcha? Got you? All right?
Speaker 2: Well, thank you so much, Taylor, Stan Barry, good luck and the rest of the competition this year. And you could follow her on Taylor too Short over on Instagram and see what's happening with her world. She gets out there, she catches all these animals and way more critters. There's all sorts of stuff on her social media pages, so go check those out. Thank you, Taylor, We appreciate the time.
Speaker 8: First, she had no problem thank you, all right.
Speaker 1: Taylor Stanberry popular on Instagram, not so popular with the pythons. Pythons are probably not not as as that of Look, no, I'm sure that she's got a wrap around there with with them. Okay, we're gonna take quick break. When we come back, we'll see what you have to say about all of this. We've got so much more to get into as the Power Hour rolls on, and that's coming up next on the news. Chunk key, Let's see what else we had before we wrap things up today. I guess uh. We had the clip earlier this week that was supposedly Chuck Schumer and he was speaking in Congress, and they believe that there was a fart sound and we had surmise from this that perhaps Chuck Schumer was the person behind the fart sound because he kind of like snickered after it. I would say there was a bit of a laugh there, he's like, And I'll play the original clip before I get to believe it or not. There has been updates on.
Speaker 12: This now on IRAN and the NDAA. The American people need to know, of course, how and why this chaos is spreading through their streets, and we need complete one more time, that's independent now on Iran and the NDAA.
Speaker 1: When all he even seemed to rise up a little bit like okay, held him Yeah, like it moved his body upward and then because this is just how things are working these days. I guess they asked him about this outside of Congress. There was a reporter who asked him, like, Hey, was that you what happened senator lecture certificates of sender of.
Speaker 17: Senator Jacob with TMZ, did you fart yesterday on the Senate floor?
Speaker 1: No answer, nothing, He won't answer to the people. Everybody.
Speaker 9: MZ in Washington is one of the greatest gifts we've ever seen.
Speaker 1: This is this is a kind of hard hitting journalism we've been needing, right, yes, who Finally it arrives with TMZ asking the real questions.
Speaker 2: Like how he identified himself just in the same manner that serious journalists do.
Speaker 1: Like Washington Post. Just he says TMZ. I guess they asked another politician to chuck Shuma kind of post gas. It sounded like he passed gas when he was up there. Yeah. I wasn't sure if he I think he'd just been to the taco bill. I saw that.
Speaker 7: It's kind of like it's a little sort of embarrassing if that's really what happened, but.
Speaker 1: Also like it's so natural and kind of relatable. Is it relatable to you?
Speaker 15: No, because I always everybody says, oh, you can eat that, it's organic.
Speaker 1: I said, well edgum, Horseman's organic. I don't eat it. Oh my god, it was horsemane is organic?
Speaker 8: Why?
Speaker 1: I don't even know what that means. It's why you brought that up at this time. But they're walking around asking all the politicians about this, and that's the latest. Just in case you were wondering. You probably weren't, but just in case you were a couple of people with some feedback on what we've talked about today. We've covered a lot of ground, as you might imagine. Here's Scooter Man with some comments about the budget situation that I was talking about.
Speaker 20: Hey, news junkies, Hey, yeah, Sean, you're pretty correct on the surplus thing with the government. Navy veteran here and we had an office, well I ran an office, and our budget was about one hundred and forty thousand for the year, you know, buy all new tables, chairs, all that stuff. But the next year we didn't need all new tables, chairs and computers, but if we didn't spend one hundred and forty thousand, it went away. So we made sure we spent it every year.
Speaker 1: Have a good day, guys, We'll go we go, Pop pop. Thank you appreciate the information scooter, Matt, thank you for that. And more New York Mobster TTS dispatches. They're they're so good that I think i'll I'll hold on to them. But just so, just so you know, some of you were sending these over. Stop trying to play into the idea that you don't think the mobster voice sounds like an actual mobster. Okay, because some of this what's.
Speaker 18: Up, junkies, I want to invite you to my castle where I can suck your blood.
Speaker 1: Doesn't sound like a vampire. All right, That's what a lot of the pushback is. But I don't I disagree. Thank you for sending that over regardless. Here's shark bait. Let's see what it says or what this is?
Speaker 5: Hey, junkies, what's going on?
Speaker 2: I decided to see my bestest buddy.
Speaker 8: I guess what, Ham's.
Speaker 5: Got a broken knee?
Speaker 1: All right? This is this is swilly who sends in dispatches and is a part of the community. I said earlier, and I stand by this. When you are an adult, a grown adult, and you're breaking your legs and you're breaking your arms, you're breaking limbs, it's usually a red flag. It's usually a.
Speaker 2: Sign that you have done some things that maybe you should not have been doing. You're drinking, you're riding golf carts too fast. I don't know what did him in, but Squilly's a grown ass man and he's in a cast He's got a full on cast on, has.
Speaker 5: Got a broken knee.
Speaker 1: Damn, we're here hanging out. Love you, guys pace.
Speaker 9: His his injury came from trying to help a drunken friend to bed from drunk. So he was he was being a good guy. He was trying to help somebody else. They were drunk at the time.
Speaker 1: And they fell on his knee. Oh God, breaking your knee cast is that's got to be a tough one. That doesn't sound good at all, Swilly. We wish you the best. I hope you're gonna be okay. Don't ever help anybody again, Swilly. Yeah, that's what happens. Yeah, learn not to help people. Out please for the sake of God. Um okay, a couple more emails coming in here we have, Jeremy says the tips to Thenewsjunkie dot com. Jeremy says, I'm the same age as you, and I have never put a normal time in a microwave. I always guess the exact seconds. My tea is two minutes and twenty seven twenty four seconds. Every single morning, a reheat might be forty three seconds, et cetera. I always just put in a random number that I guess. Keep up the work, says Jeremy. Very very disturbing. It's right on the heels of what we were talking about earlier, where I said there are some people who use their microwaves. They don't put in the time like the rest of us do, or hit that thirty thirty thirty, you know, to get to whatever time you're at. But they put ninety nine minutes in, ninety nine seconds in so they don't have to put times in, and they just keep hitting star and they count down from wherever they are. That is straight up serial killer behavior. That is very disturbing stuff. Here is Samuel with an email. There's a female Nashville police officer who was let go because she was romping on the clock, having sex multiple times in her police car and in the middle school where she was a resource officer. I guess a local strip club has offered her a job. This says w KRN, former Metro police officer accused of sexual activity on duty in a middle school. That part's rough. Let's see if we learned anything from this. Hang on, let me try to start this video here. It's from Nashville.
Speaker 8: Sure is off the force today after admitting to serious departmental violations.
Speaker 5: This is news to it for I'm Tory Gesner and Jen Kendall Ashman.
Speaker 6: News To has been investigating this salacious story for months. Relationship for Dan joins us now with the story you were seeing first on two and.
Speaker 19: A police internal investigation by Metro Police revealed a sex scandal. Now it happened on duty, it happened in a Metro police car.
Speaker 1: It happened in a middle school with children who were close by. Were they were the kids?
Speaker 19: On the surface, Officer Lisa Vidrios seemed to have it all.
Speaker 1: She looked and she does.
Speaker 2: She has like exaggerated face that smile in her picture.
Speaker 1: Uh huh. That's crazy. Smile yeah, to Nashville from the Sanego Police Department, serving as a police officer. I served in the United States Marine Corps for nine years.
Speaker 19: In twenty twenty two, she graduated from the Metro Police Academy. The department even chose her among a handful of promising officers.
Speaker 1: So what are wrong here? She started sleeping with a bunch of the other officers, smooching with everybody. She was smooting with everybody. There was a complaint lodged against Lisa Vidrios and an unnamed eighteen year police veteran. Somebody got caught cheating, didn't they. That's what that's what does this? The investigative reports that the couple had sex well on duty, in a police vehicle and in the middle school where Vidrios served as a school resource officer during hours when children were inside the building. She started off as a promising officer with a solid background, ready to protect and serve in the streets in Nashville, and now look at this, She's in the middle of a big sex scandal. According to an internal report obtained by News Too, the thirty seven year old married woman and another m NPD officer began having an affair. So yeah, I mean, whenever you see these tis about another officer not named and shamed. Yeah, that's true. I don't know why they didn't name the other area. Yeah, just as male officer, and it says per the report, Vidrios's phone contained footage of the couple having sex on the couch in her office at Madison Middle School, where staff can be heard talking outside the door. The report indicatese the pair had sexual relationships at sexual relations at the school four times, with Vidio saying in a written statement that kids were inside the building during this time. So what happens a lot is somebody gets caught cheating and their significant other is like, I am telling your boss, and they're going to one hundred percent going to do a report on this in an investigation. That's exactly where this is led. Thank you for the email, Sam, appreciate that. And let's see one more here. Matthew emails the show. Hey, Sean, I just thought i'd give a little insight into the person using the porta potty at that house that was under construction. This was in the pick Aside on Wednesday. I think it's perfectly fine to use somebody's porta potty, even if it's at their house like this. I used to drive for Amazon and Hello Fresh, and specifically with Amazon for quite a while. I know you've already heard that they have trouble going to the bathroom because they can be in the same neighborhood for more than half their shift without going down another main street with a business on it. When I would look down the street and see a porta potty on the curb because of construction, that was like gold to me. I would literally cheer and say thank God and use the porta partty. They paid the construction company to work on their house and they brought a porta potty so they don't use the inside bathroom and make it messy. That porta party is simply a tool of the construction company and doesn't belong to the homeowner. I do understand there is a part about going on their property, but just know the porta potties are always on the most outer edge, right next to the line on the sidewalk. As far as trespassing goes, anybody's allowed to walk on your front property until they're told to get off.
Speaker 2: I defend the use of a public porta Potty, says Matthew. Thank you for your email, Matthew. We're gonna take a quick break. We're back with the.
Speaker 1: Final dispatches, stories that didn't make the cut, and of course today learned to wrap it up for a Friday and the whole week that's coming up next on the news chunk Key Secret Show goes live as per usual five pm Eastern on Fridays, and it was a good one. It was an excellent secret show, worth your time and worth your subscription over at the news Junkie dot com. You'll see what I was raging about.
Speaker 2: Somebody said something to me that I thought was immensely rude, just.
Speaker 1: Over the top rude, and I had me fired up. And what was it actually rude? I think I find it to be very offensive. We go into that, We went to do a lot of different stories and update on the Palette band saga with Josh, a bunch of fun stuff. It was a fun journey as always with secret shows. So have a laugh and enjoy your weekend with a subscription over on the website to support the show.
Speaker 2: I was confused for a second there because I just looked up at my laptop and you activated it I activated. Will you remember what you said to me right before we came out and break mine too? I said, you have to pick a side ready? Or I said it's something right, you said, Ceilane, you know can you can you put up a timer for me?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And I just looked up at my laptop and Siri was there and it's like, for how long? So is mine? Yeah? Mine was too? All right, I've got to pick a side for you. This is a quick one. It's a quick pick a side, A quick aside, if you will. This happened in a parking garage. You have two people who you can choose from. One is this young man who's driving an suv. He has a huge line of cars behind him in this parking garage, and then one woman in front of him blocking his way out of the parking garage. She's very upset with him and every other car behind him. She wants them all to get out of the way. It's time, here we go.
Speaker 2: Let's pick a side.
Speaker 1: Got forgot about the song? It's okay at the end of the show. Side, it's the end of the show, It's the end of the week. Forgot about the song? It's okay? Back to it. Hey, pick a side.
Speaker 2: You pick from this young gentleman who is in the suv or the woman who is facing off with in a parking garage, Brace yourself, here we go.
Speaker 1: Look behind me. She's saying, go the f around. She's saying many choice things to him, including calling him a dumbass. Picture this, two cars facing each other. One is going the correct way, the other one is going against the grain of traffic in a one way parking garage and is so sure that she's in the right that's what that's the woman who's screaming she's going the wrong way. She's dumb, loud and wrong. Barstool for dar baby. It's a one way where you're trying to prove a point. There's no parking spot. Where are you going to go? Where are you? Am I the wrong?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 1: I got two people agree with from over here. This happened before. The guy in the middle of the pick a side is like, am I in the wrong? Pick a side right now? We don't have to wait till the end of this video. Pick a side. This is next level dumb.
Speaker 2: This woman is going the wrong way in a parking garage, but has decided to yell and go nuclear and take apart this park. Look don't look like slanted spots, but I can't tell from this angle.
Speaker 1: No, I can't tell you this. That's what he said.
Speaker 2: He said it was, And there's a line of cars behind him, and this lady is going absolutely nuclear on him, sing up a storm, and he's.
Speaker 1: Like, what do you want me to do that? There's cars behind me, there's a one way. What what are I supposed to do here?
Speaker 2: So I obviously choose the guys, some of the guys. Everybody's siding you sided with him to Josh, Okay, this was an easy one. This This guy was definitely in the right right, Yeah, yeah, yeah they were.
Speaker 1: And also I love that the guy was like, uh, trying to to play to the audience of people around him and like, anybody side with me on this? Okay, good by wrong, let's pick asides going into the real world here. That's what we're seeing now, all right, that's going to have to do it for today. We love you, We appreciate you. Thank you for hanging out with us all week. Next week is going to be a wild ride. Should have some more news for you at some point next week. On the show. And also, uh, here's to a big, crazy viral week. Don't miss a moment. And right now it's time to get the hell out of here. Let's do today.
Speaker 8: I learned the following information made make you feel smarter but will not actually increase your IQ, So don't get cocky.
Speaker 1: What we come today?
Speaker 2: It is today learned for a Friday, July seventeen, twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: Thank you to Josh Fowler. Excellent job all the way. Yeah, I did it. I did a great job. He's good, he's amazing, he's unbelievable. Not an incredible racist, not as far as people know, As far as most people listening, it's a regular old racists find out you'll find out on secret shows five pm. Go check that out over on the news junkie dot com. All right, let's just skip to it again. Thanks if you gave us a segment or the whole damn show or the whole damn week even it's a pleasure to be with you as always, And here we go today. Learned this band right here, Fire Straights. That's right, Dire Straits.
Speaker 2: The iconic guitar tone on Dire Straits money.
Speaker 1: Thank you for nothing. There was a complete accident.
Speaker 2: It was caused by a microphone that was pointed at the floor, and audio engineers.
Speaker 1: Still can't perfectly replicate the sound. Are they trying? It seems weird if they're still trying.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for hanging out with us. We do appreciate it. We're back Monday, same time, same place.
Speaker 1: Missed Eddy of the show.
Speaker 2: Get the podcast at the neewsjunkie dot com.
Speaker 1: We'll see you next time.
Speaker 3: Everybody that ain't working, definitely you do it.
Speaker 1: You've played the guitar on MTV