Speaker 1: Join the Meat Sauce and Miller Lite at Dave's Town Club in Delano this Thursday from five to seven. Sap by for drink specials, games and a register for a chance to win a spot in the vikings the Foundation Golf Tournament. All the details at campeg dot com Cure Golf.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where do you go, Saucer.
Speaker 3: There's saucy right there, Meat Sauce. Hi, how did the comedy go? It went really well, man, It was super fun.
Speaker 4: Kato Ballroom is a great spot, good amount of people, very nice people.
Speaker 5: It was super fun, great spot. I love the Cato. Yeah. I think.
Speaker 6: I got a chance once to sit with a nitty gritty dirt band.
Speaker 5: Yep. They're posters up on the wall, yeah somewhere there, yeh yeah. So they were performing there and then I was going there.
Speaker 6: I was working in promotions and also on the air at Country one O three in Mankato at the time, and uh, some hold, you know, putting up banners and stuff like that, and they're doing their soundtrack and the band just goes, well, the guys, hey, you know where we can get a beer? So it's not getting grab some beers for us, and we just sat there swinging legs, looking on the stage with a nitty gritty t fan.
Speaker 5: You look like a guy that could get this moment. Ever, Yeah, they read their room. Yeah, and they were like that guy, beers in your backpack?
Speaker 7: Yeah no, Ben, what I don't have a problem, No, no, no, you just you're well prepared.
Speaker 5: Yeah, man, I'm I'm a solutions guy. You're you're a real season pro.
Speaker 6: That's where you are.
Speaker 5: Yeah, man, I don't think you mean that, but that's nice without pro. Pretty good, pretty good.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna take a picture of this and send to you guys.
Speaker 5: Oh no, is this the Wiener? My god? Why are you taking your pants?
Speaker 4: He was looking up that penis and that show Kingdom he wrote, but he wrote the House of the Dragon hug Dog because.
Speaker 5: Second episode, right, Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we're also he just I mean, helicopters.
Speaker 2: Out his little hot to everybody.
Speaker 5: Yeah, make sure that one guy sees that. I want to hear his response.
Speaker 2: That one guy, Tommy, Okay, okay, yeah, sorry.
Speaker 5: He's seen it. Tommy's seen the show.
Speaker 4: Just send it to the power Trip Efforts and just write good morning.
Speaker 2: I don't think I'm gonna do that because yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so the other guy is named the Tall would actually be the Dong.
Speaker 2: I mean, look at that.
Speaker 5: I don't even know. I have never seen it.
Speaker 6: And what I mean that's so hardly smokes. That's so far back that they could only come up with a nickname.
Speaker 2: The Tall the House of the Dragon.
Speaker 5: It's not up. That's a rope.
Speaker 8: How does he wear?
Speaker 3: It's cartoonish for it like fits the character perfectly too.
Speaker 9: It's hilarious. It's got to be a process. If there's a god, it's a It goes to his knees. It literally does bomb that after him, Like, don't ever.
Speaker 5: Take this all right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you definitely asked to recut that scene multiple times. You guys want to do a couple of takes. I don't think I got that one.
Speaker 2: It's a good point. It is cut.
Speaker 6: Yeah, what if he actually walked out in that scene?
Speaker 5: It was like it was a little cold. Sorry, guys, can we do this again? I gotta warm up? That thing is massive.
Speaker 2: I tried to tell you, sweetie.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's a grower too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that show got better every episode. That that shot is from the start of episode two, but man, it's a it's It was definitely worth the watch. I'm so glad I didn't give up on it. It got better and better and better, but it's done.
Speaker 5: It's done. You watched last night too? Yeah, yeah it was good.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was good. I binged through those first three and then you know, of course they saw the Donner and then.
Speaker 7: The dog from sixteen Candles. How close were you to give me up on it?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 5: Not close. I was just bored. I was just frustrated, like where is this going?
Speaker 7: And because you want no, I just more of him.
Speaker 3: The first three episodes, it's just a lot of like I'm going to enter this tournament. It's like you've been saying that for three episodes, like when is something going to happen? And then when stuff actually starts happening, you're like, man, now, my guess is the first three episodes are actually better than I thought they were. If you go back and rewatch them once you see where it's going. I just didn't like the pasing, but that's nedpicking because it was definitely worth the way everything else. Yeah, it's definitely worth the way the build up's worth it. It's if if it had been hour long episodes, the action would have started midway through the second episode.
Speaker 5: That's fair. But since they're half hour.
Speaker 3: And you have to wait a week at a time, it's like three weeks where there's not much going on.
Speaker 5: That's a good way to look at it. Yeah, you know, worth it though, man.
Speaker 3: But now since it's Thrones, we have to wait seventeen years for season two.
Speaker 2: That's real good.
Speaker 5: It's real good. I'm surprised all the episodes are only thirty minutes, and me too.
Speaker 3: I think a couple of them were pushing forty. But they aren't an hour like House of the Dragon or Thrones. They were quicker, I think.
Speaker 5: George R. R.
Speaker 3: Martin said he want he thought this was going to be just like a movie, almost a standalone movie, like a three hour film that they split it into a series.
Speaker 2: Kid who plays the main character is real good man.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're both great too.
Speaker 2: But yeah yeah, yeah. And when the old Witch says what she says, that's pretty crazy crazy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a great scene.
Speaker 2: And then the guy watched out with an enormous dog.
Speaker 4: All your hands on, he said, he said, witch, the old Witch Hawk, Yeah, she's basically at a Renaissance festival telling fortunes.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, that's his demo.
Speaker 2: I want to say this just so you guys know this going forward. When you raise your hand over there, if she looks like she smells, I'm out out a witch in the bog of eternal stink stinks.
Speaker 7: But she's wearing like those like that tight boosty a thing where like really.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying, I'm not gonna look at it, but everybody's stunk back plus, she was with Sir Pennytree and he ruined her.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's the guy's name, Yes, Penny Tree. Yeah, I know, I know, I get why. But yeah, you.
Speaker 7: Know what's real gross about the times back back then. I mean, let's keep in mind that everybody is just disgusting everybody everything.
Speaker 5: It's the rotten.
Speaker 7: Teeth, Oh god, golly ma, Like there's no way. How can you just like roll over and want to get after it when there's this like justice.
Speaker 5: Cabbage pale kid breath coming out.
Speaker 3: That's just But again, the hardest part about personal hygiene and like the Middle Ages was the white walkers and the dragons. Right, it's hard to brush your teeth. It's this is historic fact. Everybody knows this. I don't have time to brush my teeth. There's dragons flying.
Speaker 6: No, yea, if you have meth teeth as well, then what's the difference?
Speaker 5: That is true?
Speaker 7: The thing is like, yeah, it's not like I'm the only one that goes to the dentists and teeth.
Speaker 3: Right, nobody knows. Nobody knows that minty fresh breath exactly.
Speaker 2: I thought there was a lot less kissing than they show in price.
Speaker 5: You know what I mean. Oh, but they didn't know that there was an option to be better than that. That was as good as it got.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I understand.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, man, get in there. I don't know, Just get after it.
Speaker 2: I don't think it still smells.
Speaker 5: I don't think. I don't want to kiss my goal and then be chewing her food.
Speaker 4: Gross. I don't think there was a lot of wooing. Hawk didn't say anything, no wooing.
Speaker 7: You don't think there was like like he was nobody Rick Flared threw it in there.
Speaker 5: Hurry.
Speaker 7: Oh wow, I don't know medieval foreplay, I guess happened.
Speaker 5: I love that big Hawk.
Speaker 3: When when you were watching Thrones and you said, Kim basically said, no, when is this supposed to be a guy?
Speaker 5: Like what year? It's not a year. There's dragons. Yeah, but I was I love that bit.
Speaker 2: I made myself sound much cooler though re told the story because in real life I was like.
Speaker 7: You know, I think that's a fair question. Okay, if you take the dragons out of it? And what era? Would that be hard.
Speaker 2: To take the dragons out of it?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 7: No, no, but but everybody, I mean, that's what nine It is like looks like it's medieval times, sure, sure, but then like ten percent of it as dragons, Okay, take that away?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Then what era are we talking about here?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, medieval?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I would guess somewhere.
Speaker 4: Yeah, money python, What century would you guess if you take the White Walkers and the dragons out?
Speaker 5: I don't even know when they or like twelve or something. I would say something in that range.
Speaker 2: Yeah, back in the round table.
Speaker 3: All the pyramids being built? Yes, no, this is pre pyramids? I agree. Eighteen What did you say something?
Speaker 5: No? It was not Kurt Bills? Was it Kurt Bills? No, sir.
Speaker 2: Man, all right, I'll give you one more news story because supposed to be the news. But I'm gonna tell you something because I find this really interesting, you know, how like you ever, like look through the science stories just because there's always something fascinating, right and you know, like they found the dinosaur bone, or or they got a new form of bacteria or whatever. There's always got to be that one scientist And when I read these stories, I'm like, that's pretty interesting. But how did they come up with the idea that they wanted to try that? And it has to be the one scientist in the building who does a lot of drugs. There's got to be great scientists in the world. I'm sure there's a million of them. They're smart, but they're not great. This guy decided to give octopuses MDMA to see what would happen.
Speaker 5: What what that's true?
Speaker 2: The octopigy exactly why scientists conducted experiments where they dosed octopuses with MDMA. The study was originally published in the Journal of Current Biology, examined how the recreational drug impacted on the associability of animals and MDMA, also known as ecstasy for those of you not partying, hugely popular in the drug scene, especially at raves, works because it binds a to transporter proteins in your neurons and creates a feeling of euphoria. I need to try this.
Speaker 7: I'd like euphoria. I think it eats holes in your brain. Yeah yeah, but I think probably one time.
Speaker 5: It's fine.
Speaker 2: Octopus is highly intelligent animal, and study authors observed how their behavior change behavior change when they were given MDMA and neuros. As human beings, we like to know where we came from. MDMA is an amazing tool for studying social behaviors. How did the octopuses react? The study put two spot octopuses, which are normally not a particularly social species, and put two of them in a tank together and gave them a damn.
Speaker 5: Way to cosme.
Speaker 2: In the tank, one octopus was under a mesh pot, which meant that the two could touch and interact but couldn't hurt each other because they weren't sure what would happen. You know, with the sober octopuses, the free octopus typically spent most of their time in the opposite side of the tank to the one under the pot. That's what they that's what they always do. But when they were placed on a tank containing dissolved in DMA, their behavior some mark change. Octopuses appeared to relax. They were chilling in the water. You could tell that they were visibly relaxed. Then they moved their arms, and then they moved through the water, and then they started doing somersaults.
Speaker 10: They also did not avoid the mesh basket the other octopuses like they did when they were sober. Instead, they were far more open to approaching each other, even trying to touch each other, and then they tried to embrace through the container. The study suggested that the regions in the human brain which are connected to social bonding might be another result of an evolutionary accident. Maybe somehow somewhere we ran into some kind of drugs that made us want to get it on.
Speaker 5: I feel like this was like an unnecessary experience something.
Speaker 2: This is the drug ey scientist going wonder what happened? If we gave them the.
Speaker 7: Let's try this, you could you could find two willing human participants.
Speaker 5: So I want to try this of course. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Euphoria?
Speaker 5: What's that like? Yeah? I think don't they called the love drug?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's ecstasy for a reason.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Does it hurt you?
Speaker 5: I don't think it's not for your brain? Yeah? Makes you want to touch an octopus? Amazing? Hot, Well he wants to do that? Of course? Guy? Those things are smart.
Speaker 2: They are and now they want euphoria all the time.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so you're telling me that if Tommy took this, that he has a potential to be touching lots of tentacles.
Speaker 2: Yep, I'm gonna think that he takes about every third Thursday.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm gonna guess he's tried it. Don't say that, of course he allegedly. Anthony Harris is in the building. Well, we'll talk to him in a second.
Speaker 5: Michael J. Mussman.
Speaker 3: The third is here, Ben Lieber is here. This is the power of morning show on the fan.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Patrick Morny Show. Here we are last Man and Ben Leeber cast of thousands very special guests in the main studio over there.
Speaker 5: Zach should be walking him in here in a second. Anthony Harris, former Viking. Yeah, Anthony Harris.
Speaker 2: And Must do you have any member with them tonight?
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's a great dude, didn't. Yeah, we have an event tonight. We're doing a.
Speaker 6: Game Day staff celebration that's going to be happening at us Bank Stadium and Scott Studwell. Randam McDaniel and Anthony Harris are going to be our guests.
Speaker 5: So it'll be a lot of fun. Does Anthony know he has to do with you to Knights Pro.
Speaker 6: We's already been on Vikings Country.
Speaker 5: We've had a blast. I love this guy.
Speaker 2: Okay, good sea. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I can't believe that he still lives here in Minnesota. But apparently in Minnesota must have married a Minnesota woman because by law, you must live in Minnesota at some point if you marry in Minnesota woman.
Speaker 5: Anthony is at the case. I guess that's the case. Minnesota. Nice. Why good morning, man, Good morning. Good to see you all. You guys just hung out this week, Ben, Yeah, we did last Wednesday. It was great. Had a v N studios, great time in there. That's a good spot. Man.
Speaker 3: They did not go cheap when it comes to the that giant studio at TCO.
Speaker 5: Oh No, it's the best. It's a real deal TV studio. It's awesome. It's a big auditorium and stuff. It's it's sick.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, it's so I sort of if I understand it correctly. When they built it, they definitely like did the due diligence, so they wanted to make it like a state.
Speaker 5: Of the art place.
Speaker 7: I think a lot of other teams came through because they wanted to replicate it. It became sort of the standard. When these teams are building out their studios, they're like, well, we need to go too of the Vikings because they did it right.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So Anthony, what do you do with the vice now? Are you just starting to dip your toes into the.
Speaker 5: Media world with the Minnesota Vikings or what are you doing well with a past year?
Speaker 8: I've been around a little bit doing some podcast stuff very lightly, just keeping up with the team off season and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Awesome, Now you gotta deal with it Ben in general and must tonight.
Speaker 5: Apparently I'm learning from the pro here.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's like a rookie in the game now, you know, I'm taking a look at what he's doing and keeping up in some of the stuff he's doing, doing some great things. So we had the pleasure of getting together last week and talking a little ball.
Speaker 5: I know. Awesome.
Speaker 7: Do you get excited because I know that was a time where when I when I was recently done playing, I didn't jump into like the combine and the evaluation parts of it. Is that something that you're like naturally interested in?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 8: I just think for me, just like player evaluation and just kind of how it all comes together from you know, scouting the talent scheme wise.
Speaker 5: I've just been kind of looking at it from an overall thing.
Speaker 8: Last last year I talked a little bit more about free agency, not as much about the draft and stuff like that, but that is a fascinating piece and seeing how that trans translates and how the scouts and executives you know, vet talent and the direction today decide to go.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: How different is the combine though from when you guys went through it? Like it's significantly different, right in terms of like who participates, what they participate in. What do you guys see differently from now and then?
Speaker 5: Well, I think for me it's it's somewhat been the same, you know.
Speaker 8: I think there's a little bit more of players coming out saving the ways that are more of like professionals with business decisions and things like that. But in terms of, you know, the numbers that guys are putting up, you know, there seems like they're they just continue to climb. But I think the mental mental side of the preparation and the details that goes into the preparation has just continue to evolve.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I would say, I mean definitely the uh, the athleticism, the whole like bigger, faster, stronger thing that that just continues to like progress every single year. I mean every generation. I think, is this canna be a better athlete than the former generation. But I think in some ways there are there definitely are to your question, like less guys participating because they kind of know their their draft stock, they kind of know their draft value. Like, well, I'm not really gonna increase my value if I just go out go out here and do you know my three cone or my my forty or whatever my bench press, Like I'm good, Like my tape's gonna speak for itself. The thing that I don't love right now is there's so many there's so many guys that get the coaching on the meeting side of things, because every night there's meetings stacked upon meetings, Like you got to meet with all these teams. You get a list of all these teams. I want to meet with you and interview you. These guys are to be becoming like robots, but it's like you're never getting a real answer. That's the thing I don't like. Just be a human being like these guys just want to top ball with you. They just want to like talk to you, like, hey, you know, tell us about your family, you know, you know, tell us about this situation that happened here when you're at this college.
Speaker 5: Hey, why did you transfer? What was the thought behind?
Speaker 7: Like and everything is just so contrived, like nothing's a real answer. That's the thing I wish they'd get away from. Like I know that some of these guys, like they want to protect themselves, they don't want to come off like they're just a big, you know, football idiot. But at some point in time, there's got to be a blend of like that's a human being that plays football versus like that's just a contrived machine that's just been rehearsing and acting like a football player, acting like a human being.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, I think I think, you know, that's just just the environment. You know, you know, going through the process, you're in different meetings, some questions get repetitive. Every now and then you might have something that pops up and surprise you. And so I just think that environment it breeds a very professional, you know, analyst breakdown type of environment. So that's kind of the nature that the players responds. But I found you know, as you go through the different meetings and you've you've got a few under your belt, you know, it starts to kind of settle down a bit. And then also if you get an opportunity to come into the facility, if a team invites you in for you know, their Top thirty visit or whatever it is, that seting tends to be a little bit more you know, relaxed. The players kind of able to kind of, you know, let us guard down a bit because ultimately, you know, you're being evaluated at every second. You know, something you say, something you do could possibly just come off in a bad manner that you may not want to present. So I think as guys go through it, you know, they kind of get the feel of it and they kind of understand a little bit more just kind of you know, they can be themselves and really show who they are as a person.
Speaker 6: Anthony Harris is here on the Power Trip Morning Show and and we are going to be doing an event here tonight. You came into the Vikings in twenty fifteen twenty nineteen. You had an unbelievable season, so amazing, but then you also went to Philadelphia show Vikings fans versus Philly fans.
Speaker 8: Yeah your thoughts, Yeah, I think they're you know, there's two different fan bases. I just always think back to my first experience coming in as a rookie and being in that outside stadium. That was something that I truly loved as a player and as a competitor. Just growing up watching the game. It kind of just reminds you of old school football. And so for that I kind of missed that error. You know, walking out, you know, the fans and grueling cold weather weather, but you know, they're drinking beers, they're getting ready to go, and they're excited and and when the game kicks off, they're they're a static And so making that transition was uh, something big for me when we went indoors, but then we came out with you know, the skull chaint and so stuff like that is really moments and and different cultural things within the game that you feel and that represent you know, the organization that you're with. So I was glad that we did that, But being in Phillies it's different. You know, the fans, you know, they they're cheering loud, and they love you when you're doing well. But kind of like any other fan base, when you're not doing so well, they let you know for sure.
Speaker 7: Is it harder to distract yourself and like insulate yourself when they are so.
Speaker 5: There? There's so much passion for the game.
Speaker 7: I mean, if you if you end up playing bad and you feel some of those criticisms, like we all know, like when you play bad, like you know already that you played bad. You don't need you don't need like a beat writer or these fans to tell you that you played bad. But like they're notoriously known to be hard on their players. Can you actually feel that and it's harder to kind of like insulate yourself during the course of the week from that negativity.
Speaker 8: I think it depends on the player, you know, kind of your years of experience in different markets that you've played in prior to college and social media now how much that's grown. So a lot of guys really get themselves in trouble. You know, we all have a bad performance here and there, or we don't play to the expectations that we meet for.
Speaker 5: Ourselves or fans have for us.
Speaker 8: And so it's really just about you know, handling your business, doing what you're supposed to do, focusing more on the preparation week the week and not being so much on social media, so really not.
Speaker 5: Riding the wave.
Speaker 8: You know, you have a great game, you know, there might be guys who go online they want to see what the fans saying and they love it, and then you know, you can have weeks later where you kind of have the op opposite end of the spectrum, and that's where you really get yourself in trouble. So, I mean, I think in any fan base, there are going to be people who are extremely passionate about the game and they're going to vocalize their opinions about the game. And so I really just think it's more so in how the player players handle it. But Philly's definitely notorious for, you know, letting you know when you don't have a great performance.
Speaker 3: All right, that's Anthony Harris. We'll come back. We'll do vikings, news, sauce. You can maybe even walk us through some of the other sports as well. Anthony's gonna hang out for a little bit Blinda Jensen in like an hour as well. Ben's here must where's this event tonight with you and Aunt?
Speaker 6: We're doing this at us Bank stadium at how be a lot of fun.
Speaker 5: What's the events?
Speaker 6: The total event is a game day staff celebration that we have going on. So when you go, you that game day experience that you have, where you got the snow falling down, you get the Galla horn, you got all that suff They do such an amazing job. It's one of the coolest ways to start a game in all of the NFL. And we're celebrating those folks, and it's gonna be a fun event, right on, all right.
Speaker 5: More are the power Morning Shoe after this on the van.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, Patrick MOR's here we are cast on thousands the main studio and over here Muslin and I over here. Zach goes back in his room.
Speaker 6: This isn't nearly as party as I hear.
Speaker 5: Normal.
Speaker 2: They make things up. I don't fart, No you did, Yeah you crop.
Speaker 11: Ushould be one that's not true. Please we have a guest in here. Please, that's fine.
Speaker 5: Some people call you an Yeah, people call me an uh. It's a cool nickname. Yeah like that.
Speaker 2: Anthony Harrison are our former Viking UH interior with us, good friend and uh of Ben Leeber, which I didn't think Ben had any friends hard to be, that's such a thing. You can get around, but miserable. You're from outside of Richmond, Virginia, right, Yep, that's correct, and uh, I believe did you go to the same high school as Denny Hamlin current as car driver? Do you know is that a Is that a true true fact?
Speaker 5: I am not sure and I don't have to fact check that myself.
Speaker 2: I know he's from that city. I know, I know he's from that city. Did you ever, in fact go to lovely colonial Williamsburg and visit the beautiful bush Gardens Williamsburg Amusement Park?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I have.
Speaker 8: I'm a big amusement park roller coaster guy, so I've been down there to Busch Gardens as well as Kings Dominion.
Speaker 2: I lived in Norfolk, Virginia for about three years, and I loved going to Williamsburg. That place was awesome.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And I also go down there for some crab legs. They got like a nice little crab legs back down there.
Speaker 2: Tell you what, There's just a great food everywhere around there. Love that place.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Norfolk was fun. Virginia beach awesome. Do you spend much time there?
Speaker 5: Now? I didn't spend a ton of time down in Virginia Beach.
Speaker 8: Most of it was spent like playing sports, So you know, I avoided the beach and you know, stuck to the football field and the basketball court.
Speaker 2: Lots of great, great high school football and basketball in Richmond, Virginia. A lot of fun. So there you go. Of course, you guys are doing an event together tonight, musman. But I believe what Anthony was saying was that he's seen you enough for one day. So yeah, back off.
Speaker 5: I understand it.
Speaker 6: My wife just the same.
Speaker 2: How was your high school football team?
Speaker 8: Uh, we were pretty good. We won a lot of divisional championships. We went to the regional championship, won that a few times, but we weren't able to win the stay title when I was there. So I always make jokes that, you know, I must have been a problem. They won like three in a row after I left a few years later.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you were the problem.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I don't know what was going on. I mean, they switched me to quarterback my junior year. We made a good run. I got hurt in the last game, so that kind of broke my heart. Seeing everybody faces it's like this is the year. And then I get hurt and then we ended up losing in a regional championship my senior year.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Any other NFL players on that high school team, No, but we had a few.
Speaker 8: No, we had a few guys from that era during that time who was able to make it.
Speaker 5: We had a linebacker, Curtis Grant.
Speaker 8: He was ranked like one of the top linebackers in the country at the time. He ended up going to Ohio State and played in the NFL a little bit, but not my particular team. Now, yeah, there was a.
Speaker 2: For some reason, the reason high school sports sticks out so much to me when I lived in that area, I think it's probably because Alan Iverson lived there in Hampton, you know, Hampton, Virginia, which is by Norfolk, Virginia, and he was the scream of that entire area. But as a high school quarterback. Yeah, basketball as well, but more about football. What I remember hearing about him as a high school football player.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he was extremely talented as a kid growing up in that era. That was kind of one name that really jumped out just for his peer athleticism, you know, on the football field, on the court, but just that tierwater area in generally, honestly, you know, being up from Richmond just an hour two hours away. I got to tip my hat to those guys when you start talking about Virginia football for a while, the tie Water has done a great job with putting out a number of players who were able to go on to play in the NFL.
Speaker 5: But we are growing down in Richmond.
Speaker 8: For the past few years we had like, you know, five or six guys who who currently still play from that area. So we're trying to We're trying to catch up, but we know Will Ways wait, will Ways behind.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Well, it's two Vikings news. There's actually a lot of sad news, but still I want to get.
Speaker 3: The couple of former Vikings opinions on the news over the weekend.
Speaker 5: If you don't mind, it's time for Vikings News on the Power Trip, presented by Drank Hills and Ben.
Speaker 3: Let's start with you because you played with Roanyelle Whittaker. Former Viking defensive back Ronyell. Whitaker died at the age of forty six. Played with the Vikings in six and seven, a couple of US seasons twenty seven games with the Vikes over those two years, and again a teammate of yours.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so we we were together when I got here No.
Speaker 5: Six.
Speaker 7: And you know, it's one of those things where it's tough because you know, he and I worked close after we after he got done playing. But you know he was I think that we were, you know, fairly close when he played and he was on the team. I mean, he was a guy the way to the describe him, was one of the like brightest spots in the locker room, Like that's the only thing that I can see. He always had a smile on his face. He was funny, he was jovial.
Speaker 5: You know. I heard other people say, like, here's a guy that's never.
Speaker 7: Had a bad day, never had a bad day, like no matter what happens. And you know, it's it's rare to find guys like that, as Aunt knows in this league. Like you know, a lot of guys, you know, you ride this emotional roller coaster up and down based on your performance. I mean it could be from Sunday to Sunday. It could just be having a bad practice on a Wednesday, you know, and you feel down about yourself. But like man, wit was Uh. He was one of those guys that like you could always count on to. He'd brighten up every meeting room. He'd walk in with that smile and his laugh and he was trying to make people laugh. He was always into good spirits, you know, hell of a guy. So, I mean, it's it's unfortunate that would happen, you know. I I know it's not public what what happened, and and I'm not certainly not gonna talk about it because it's a family issue. But yeah, it's it's it's tough. It was sudden, it was tough, it was unexpected. So I definitely, you know, thoughts and prayers to to you know, his soul and his his loved ones and everybody that's around.
Speaker 8: Absolutely absolutely, I've had I had the opportunity to meet him a few times over the past two years, you know, you know, being out of the game now coming to a lot of games, going into the alumni suite and uh, the one thing you mentioned about with this energy and just being a ball of energy and never seemed like he had a bad day. I remember the first time walking in, I just see like this bright smile. He comes over, We start talking and we start catching up and uh we connect with college robberies. Me going to UVA, him being a hockey a Virginia Tech guy, and so we talked football and stuff like that, and you know, he he just talked about my game and we connected from that and then coming back games later.
Speaker 5: And and being in the presence of him.
Speaker 8: He just had great energy and we just had a great time watching games and talking ball and things like that, and he was always smiling. So when I got the news, you know, it was definitely a down moment of like, man, you know, I can't really believe that, but yeah, like you said, Thawston, prayers to his family as well as they go through this tough time.
Speaker 3: It's forty six and the other one over the weekend that was shocking. Former Vikings wide receiver Rondelle Moore died this weekend at the age of twenty five from a suspected self inflicted gunshot wound.
Speaker 5: Dislocated me with the Falcons in.
Speaker 3: Twenty four that wiped him out for the entire year, and then last year in the preseason opener for the Vikings a season ending knee injury.
Speaker 7: So yeah, I mean, there's it's tragic, it's avoidable. That's the thing that I think that hurts the most is like, you know, this is just a larger issue with everybody. I mean, there is always there's always somebody that you can talk to. There's always somebody that you know, I think, you know, you might feel like you don't have any other way out. You might feel like there's a loss of identity, you might feel disconnected from who you think you should be and who you are, and you know, I just I just think that everybody knows that you should know that there's help always. And the sad thing is is like from some of his buddies that were really close to him that have come out like he just he seemed like he was in good spirits, you know. And I know that as guys, you know, most of the time you reach out and you're like, hey man, you good, and you're like, yeah, I'm good, you know, And we don't poke in prod too much, and we're not gonna sit there and then lay it out in the line say like, oh no, I'm not doing great. Here's here's all the things that I'm dealing with mentally. I know a lot of guys just aren't wired like that. But we need to get to a point where maybe to your closest friends, you can start opening up and being a little bit more vulnerable about how you feel and we can help each other out and hopefully avoid these situations because he just you know, I didn't know him specifically and personally, but from what I have seen from him, you know from everybody else, reaching out is like another another great, great guy that unfortunately.
Speaker 5: Just you know, took a tragic turn. Yeah. Yeah, I think.
Speaker 8: As being kind of mentioned, you know, it's it can be tough, that tough at times. You know, you talk about a guy who's you know, had a pretty solid career but then to go out with two injuries, and ultimately, you know, guys can put a lot of pressure on themselves, you know, not only to perform at your level of expectations and kind of like you know, where you see yourself, uh in the future in terms of play and different things like that, but also just securing a future for your family. You know, that pressure can mount, and so kind of like being mentioned, you know, it's it's extremely important to you know, just be aware, be vigilant and actually you know, maybe proden a little bit, you know, whether it's in closed settings or whether it's you know, in this generation, you're you're on the headset and you're gaming with just you and a few friends, really just checking in on each other. So that's something that I pride myself on now as a as a guy who formally played, just checking in with a lot of guys who I know are still playing, checking in with guys who are no longer playing, understanding that transition and really just trying to be there in a way that's supportive and just hey, keep your head up.
Speaker 5: You know, it's tough.
Speaker 8: I never really spoke about it much, but during kind of like my COVID year, that was kind of like a tough year for me, and I tell people a lot of the times, you know, that was probably one of my hardest years, if not the hardest year in the NFL, and not just you know, playing football, but you know, you know, obviously there's COVID policies. You know, we kind of want to stay distant, and it's a little bit more isolated in your home and there's really less travel with family and friends. But I know, for me, you know, it was just really just connecting with the guys on the team, you know, understanding and kind of seeing other guys go through it. Nothing really related to football, but more so just not having those outlets, not really you know, being able to, hey, I'm going to go out to dinner and you know, grab some food with my family, grab some food with my significant others and things of that sort. So really just you know, kind of standing close knit as guys in the locker room and then also reaching out as an older veteran guys reaching out to guys who we know are going through injuries because they're going to be isolated anyway, not due to COVID, but you know, they may not be in the facility quite as much, they may not be in the meetings. So really is just having more awareness around it that way, you know, you can try to be supportive as much as possible.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well said, yeah, well said.
Speaker 3: All right, on a much lighter note, We've done this over the years with a handful of Vikings, including Ben.
Speaker 5: I want to try this with you, Anthony, if that's cool. All right.
Speaker 3: I'm always curious how well players know their own careers, like whether it's just all a blur or if you kind of dwelling like, oh, I know exactly what happened there or this or that, so this is all Wikipedia If this is wrong just tell me.
Speaker 5: But this is what Wikipedia says.
Speaker 3: Do you remember who you picked off for your first career in herse option?
Speaker 8: I believe my first career interception was against the Cardinals.
Speaker 5: Possibly you remember who the quarterback was, Josh Rosen nailed Jos.
Speaker 3: I remember that one Later that year you pick you picked off a quarterback twice in a game.
Speaker 5: Which quarterback was that later in the year, twice in one game.
Speaker 8: The only person I remember not picking off twice in one game was uh, Matt Ryan and with the Falcons.
Speaker 5: That was the next next career possibly the Bears. Yes, who was a quarterback? The quarterback was Trubisky.
Speaker 3: Yeah there iss now this will make this will make Ben Lieber's day, even though this is your career. Uh, your first career touch stone was a pick six off of what quarterback?
Speaker 5: Russell Wilson. Russell Wilson. Yeah got him, we got him.
Speaker 3: According to this, according to Wikipedia, you had three interceptions in twenty nineteen, all Giant name quarterbacks. Russell Wilson is one. Actually, hang on a second, let me make sure this is right. Twenty nineteen. Oh, you had six interceptions that year, and that one threw me off. I was like you had six, So two against Matt Ryan, one against Dwayne Haskins.
Speaker 5: Wow, do you remember the other three?
Speaker 3: So Russell Wilson and two other big names, Philip Rivers and and Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 5: Got it, man, you know your own career pretty well. That was very good football.
Speaker 3: Oh, absolutely all of them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh okay, what do you do with them right now?
Speaker 8: They're they're in a case, they're in a football cases at my mom's waiting to put my man cave together here in Minnesota. So just holding on to him, just holding on to him was fortunate enough to add Tom Brady to that collection and kind of checked off the boxes for the quarterback era of man Philip Rivers and Matt Ryan's. And I look back and I'm like, am I getting old?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 8: I didn't get Holmes or anything like that, or Justin Herbert.
Speaker 5: I'm like, missed that era. Guys.
Speaker 4: If the Bears had drafted, right, you probably would have picked off Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got Tom Brady when you were with the Eagles, is up right?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's the right. Wow, that's really cool. That's very cool man. Yeah, I would hang on to that one. Yeah. And he didn't sign it, though I'm not an ax him either.
Speaker 2: That's a good idea.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's the one thing that I wish that I had in my era was a jersey swamp.
Speaker 2: I wish you'd had an interception or.
Speaker 6: Two maybe ago maybe not a p I whoa, did you have one?
Speaker 5: I had one in the Dallas case, I had a couple. I had a couple.
Speaker 3: More sacks than interceptions, like Murderer's row of a big name quarterbacks.
Speaker 5: So he's got them all. I don't even know the names of the quarterbacks that I picked off. We should look that up, now, we shouldn't George. Jersey swaps. I've done a few jersey swaps.
Speaker 8: Most of my jersey swaps were guys that I played with in college and really had a strong relationship with. And then as I went on, you know, I had some jersey swap with some of the guys who I just you know, thought with great players.
Speaker 5: You have those in a case somewhere too.
Speaker 8: Right now, they're all like stacked up nearly in a box, you know, and you know, having picked that wall together.
Speaker 3: Going to say, if you do a man, keep these up. Pretty soon you got to start auctioning these things off. That's so what my wife always says about my baseball cards and basketball cards.
Speaker 5: She's like, what are you going to do with him?
Speaker 3: I'm like, they're gonna be worth something, But she's like when when are you going to sell them when you're eighty or are you going to sell them?
Speaker 5: I'm like, I don't know. So they're just collecting dust.
Speaker 6: And when you do the the jersey swap, do you have to pay for those jerseys? Does the team just go, no, we're over, We're good, We'll get you another one.
Speaker 5: A few of them.
Speaker 8: I've actually requested that they put in an order, you know, weeks probably. I'm like, hey, I got two guys that you know, I'm swapping jerseys with after the game, and you know, I get a little invoice for it. Some of the other ones that I'm I'm not quite sure. I just assumed that, you know, they I would get the invoice for him later. So if they they took care of a few of them, I'm appreciative of that.
Speaker 5: Do they did to pay for the football? Oh? The football? No? Okay?
Speaker 4: When you when you do a jersey swap, is that something you asked like pregame, Like, when you guys are all warming up or is that like a spur of the moment thing.
Speaker 8: I mean, for me, I think it was just a mutual thing with a lot of guys that I actually played with, you know, Morgan Moses, he played for the Patriots when we played a few times, and a number of other guys more so college guys that I spent time with who were either before me or after me, and we kind of just you know, kept a good bond, tried to give each other as much insight on how to you know, be a professional and continue to improve our careers.
Speaker 5: And that was all the sentiment was really about. With the jersey swap, Hey.
Speaker 3: Were you guys listening to earlier benge You hear the part where we were talking about Jack Hughes's teeth. Yeah, when we were talking about Mark Parrish's teeth and about how like each each tooth that got knocked out was insured by a different NHL team, So like if he goes back to get that tooth fixed, he has or that specific team, Like what's the NFL dental plan? Like like if somebody like I don't know, like if you guys had your teeth popped out while you were with the Vikings to do they still cover that?
Speaker 5: Now, what's a dental plan, like.
Speaker 7: I think, well, no, because you only get coverage for five I mean it's really six years after you're done playing.
Speaker 3: So and it's from the league from a specific team.
Speaker 5: It's the league wid regardless of team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, surprised the NHL just doesn't have that, just league wide insurance.
Speaker 4: Especially with all the teeth they lose. Perry had to go to every team he lost a tooth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're actually the same color of the team he played for. Jack Hughes scored his Golden Gold with a shattered smileces I looked on the ice and saw my teeth, so we now know they came out of his face.
Speaker 5: Pick them up? Yeah, pick them up in auction of But.
Speaker 7: I'm telling you what, man, obviously it's well worth the pictures that he will have. I mean those pictures with him holding the flag and like the celebrating with the broken teeth and the blood in his mouth. I mean, you can't get a more iconic picture. Yeah, cockeye picture ever, Yeah, it's so good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's so bad.
Speaker 3: There showing a guy on ESPN right now that's taking a chainsaw to his TV.
Speaker 5: After Yeah, he's a crazy lost Yeah.
Speaker 7: I question when I saw that video, like, what is going on inside his cabin? Like, what is going on? Like there's pieces missing from his roof or from the ceiling. There's a recycling bin full of like beer cans and sodas.
Speaker 4: It looks like there's it doesn't look safe. Yeah, there's firewood just stacked.
Speaker 5: In the middle of the room. I don't know. It looks like Muss's garage.
Speaker 6: Oh great, mussy. Oh okay. Can I ask you a really stupid question? Hell, yeah, you're good, Anthony Harrison. We're talking about the Olympics here. I want to know the two man losee. What former Viking teammate would you team up with? And who would be on top?
Speaker 5: Must you guys have an event tonight? Don't derail this? What are you doing? Let him answer the question.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm not sure, man. I mean I had a lot of great teammates, a lot of great guys. Harrison Smith was my guy when playing, also Eric Kendricks. Those guys were great players, had a great, great time, want to fill with them, a lot of great moments watching ball, talking live. So those are probably two dudes who I really connected with in terms of you know, when I was.
Speaker 3: Playing the it's got to be a sweet spot, right, because if we're being serious, don't you have to go absolutely ballistic for like seven seconds and push off as quickly as possible.
Speaker 5: But it's like six or seven seconds, So you got to have.
Speaker 3: Somebody that's fast, they can get out of the block quickly, and then doesn't weigh nine hundred pounds, right, so you can't say worms.
Speaker 5: I think I think having Pat would be great.
Speaker 2: He needs to be on bottom though.
Speaker 3: It's not going to run fast enough by the thing moving run on started.
Speaker 7: No, I'm telling you. You watch the first quarter of every game. You watch Pat hustle down the line like that dude could move.
Speaker 3: There's no chance he fits in a Bob's letter A lose there like a skeleton.
Speaker 5: You don't have to lose.
Speaker 7: You understand the physics, like the more weight is going to be faster speed, like our top end speed is.
Speaker 5: Going to be blazing.
Speaker 3: Take it it is to get him in the loose race is over, think it's moving.
Speaker 5: I'm going Pat, he'd be on partner.
Speaker 3: I take Anthony Harrison and Harrison Smith and you can take Pat in yourself and we'll see this to the bottom.
Speaker 6: First, you wouldn't understand what he was saying, but still, yeah, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 5: Pat Williams was just give me a ten yard sprint, that's it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you have a better chance if you just get in there by yourself and let Pat push you as hard as he can.
Speaker 5: Man. Yeah, I think it counts if you both crossed the line. He's got to get in eventually. If he's doing it, I'm going to get Linville to push me. Yeah, we're telling you good choice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're Anthony Harris. This may be a weird question, and I feel weird saying because I don't think I've ever said this to anybody. I think Mike Zimmer liked you.
Speaker 5: Do you agree?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I think I think he liked me.
Speaker 8: He didn't want to, he didn't want to actually tell me, but yeah, I mean, I think we had a pretty good relationship. You know, we didn't have a ton of deep conversations, but you know, when.
Speaker 5: When talking about he was great.
Speaker 8: You know, he pushed me to you know, reach the expectation before I was actually a full time start of just what the expectation was coming in teams, not or the defense, not taking any steps backwards, and so I prided myself on that. And when I did a great job, you know, he just telled me, hey, great job. It wasn't too ecstatic, but you know, I know he appreciated it was coming from a great place, and when there was something that I could do better, he'd let me know too as well. So I appreciate this his style of coaching. It pushed me to be better and there's a lot of guys who embrace it as well.
Speaker 3: It's one of the best parts of being undrafted, right, is when they give you the spot, it's earned, right. It's not just like assumed because well, you're a first rounder, we have to play. It's like, no, you're undrafted. You got there because you earned your way there.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 8: I mean, you know it may take a little bit longer, you know, coming from a guy who's undrafted, you know, you may have to continue to prove yourself here and there a few more times.
Speaker 5: But that's just the nature of the beast. Coming in as an undrafted guy.
Speaker 8: It's really just like, hey, I was a productive player in college, came out hurt, and so I understand my talents and I understand I have to earn, you know, my spot on the roster and show why I'm supposed to be here, and so I try to do that as best as possible.
Speaker 5: All Right, that's the voice of Anthony Harris.
Speaker 3: Muscle asked him other weird questions tonight at the event.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be fun. That was a good question. I like that, the most Vikings country question of all time. I love it.
Speaker 3: I Love it More With Anthony Harris, Ben Leber, Mike Musselman and more, This is the Power Trade Morning Show on the Fan