Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 3: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 1: Here we go again. We get ready running back.
Speaker 3: To get in on the show called eight six six, not eighty seven, two five seven days and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you get your podcasts and now your host, here's Tim Kakes.
Speaker 2: Happy Easter Sunday, Everyboddy. Thanks for making us a part of your afternoon. Wherever you may be, we appreciate you taking us with you. Whether you're at the beach like my wife and daughter listening right now in Carpenteria, if you're in the South Bay.
Speaker 1: The Analog Valley, all the way down the Ie to see. Thanks for being with us. No matter where you may be.
Speaker 2: Hope you're enjoying your Easter Sunday and certainly enjoying a Dodgers win eight to six over the Washington Nationals. Rookie Sasaki had a rough day. The Dodgers six to one, scores seven unanswered runs to get the victory. Today I said it to Jose and the Clubhouse show. I'm gonna repeat it, and this is not gonna be the last time I say it. I'm sure we're gonna be talking about it and saying this all season long. This Dodgers lineup, when they get going, it is like a freight train.
Speaker 1: It is hard to stop.
Speaker 2: And the prime example is what the Dodgers were able to do after Dalton Rushing's home run the sixth inning, gave him a little life, cut into a six to one deficit, made it a six to three game. In the eighth inning against the reliever Perez, Freddie Freeman singles to right, pa Has doubles to left. Alex call not asked to go up there and hit a three run home run. Just move the line, keep it going, draws a four pitch walk. Espinal comes up, not asking you to club it up and hit the driver four hundred feet.
Speaker 1: Huh huh. Just move the line.
Speaker 2: Single decent score, two runs, keep the line moving. Will Smith comes up as a pinch hitter, draws a walk.
Speaker 1: Pitching change.
Speaker 2: Kyle Tucker Dodgers down six to five, don't need a grand slam, don't certainly want a double playball, but grounds into a fielder's choice, tying run comes in. Then show hey Otani with only one out, sack fly, the loft, go ahead run comes in. The line just keeps moving, The offense just keeps going. The depth of this team and what they can do to an opposing pitcher or bullpen is scary.
Speaker 1: That's how good they are.
Speaker 2: And so when we talked about the first home stand in which the top four hitters of the Dodgers weren't doing anything, all hitting below one seventy five, it wasn't gonna be that way all season long. Is andony Pia is gonna hit five hundred all year? No, the numbers are gonna level out. But certainly he's off to a great start, and the Dodgers win clicking. And when the big four are producing, you know, Tani's hitting home runs and Freddie Freeman's guys and get in on base, and then you add in the bottom of the lineup.
Speaker 1: Look out. This is why a team down six.
Speaker 2: To one, you can't say, all right, all right, fold up the tents, let's pack it up, and let's head to Toronto so we can make our dinner reservation tonight.
Speaker 1: It was good.
Speaker 2: We'll take two to three we'll settle for that. Let's go to the north of the border. Though they got fight, it's never a team that's out. Even though they're down six to one, they make it a six to three game in the six and then they just chip away at you and they just tack on runs and then they take the lead and then Taskar Hernandez with the run home run.
Speaker 1: The ninth in.
Speaker 2: It's just how good this team is, how talented this lineup is even a lineup today. Dodger fans who many of you and I heard from a free people text to me saying what lineup is Dave Roberts thrown out there today? No Will Smith, no Kyle Tucker, no Max Munsey, all three scheduled day offs, and the injury to Mookie Betts placed on the il before the game. Four starters not in the lineup today, doesn't matter. Santiago Espinal, Alex Call, Kyle Frielan, Miguel Rojas, Dalton rushing when their numbers called. They are coming through and performing. And it's not just home runs. It's not coming through with four for five days. It's just producing and doing the little things to help this Dodgers team win and That's exactly what helped happened today. It was a thing of beauty to watch the Dodgers what they did in the eighth inning, and to see that engine start with the Freddie Freeman single. The pot has double. You could just feel it. It's building. It's like a snowball rolling downhill. There's no way to stop it. And they scored four runs on three hits, a couple of walks in there, get back and take the lead and go on to win the game. Now, Roki Sasaki pitched well early on. It was getting swinging missus. Had some strikeouts on the slider, which he is now incorporating more. He had the fourth ball or splitter, whatever you want to call it, getting bite on it and getting swings and misses. Now, when you leave the ball up on his split finger, it's gonna get hit hard because they're basically throwing an eighty eight mile an hour pitch over the heart of the plate. Luis Garcia tagged him for a two run home run the third on a mistake.
Speaker 1: In the fourth inning, it was his own.
Speaker 2: Doing control issues, a walk, then a strikeout and with two outs, Hey, the baseball God's just not with Sazaki. On this play, a ball hit by caber Luiz hits the first base bag, goes up in the air over six foot six Freddie Freeman's extended glove in down the right field line to score a run.
Speaker 1: I mean, come on, there's nothing you could do about that.
Speaker 2: That should be ground ball, third out of the inning, still a two to one game. Instead, Ruiz gets to single off of it, and then what happens? Another single and then a three run home run on a splitter left up on an two pitch from James Wood makes it a six to one game. Baseball can change quickly. Dodgers flipped it their direction in the eighth inning, scoring four runs like they did the same thing happened to them though in Roki Susaki on a two out ground ball that hits the first base back.
Speaker 1: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: Of all the things the baseball gods are gonna do is have the ball hit the bag and go up and over like ski ball, up and over Freddie Freeman into den right field, down the line. Just a freak playing baseball you don't see very often. And it happened today to the Dodgers, and it ended up costing them with a big inning from the Washington Nationals. As it is, the Dodgers just too good. They come back and they win the game. Eight to six, eight six six, nine eight seven two. Five to seventy is the number. The spring racing season is here. Yesterday you had this Santa Anita Derby. Full slay of races every weekend through mid jer in mid June. Find out more at Santa Anita dot com slash Events. Let's go to Bob, who was actually north of the border in Toronto where the Dodgers are getting ready to ahead. I would return to the scene of the crime where the Dodgers won the World Series last year. Bob, how you doing, Welcome to Dodger Talk.
Speaker 4: Doing great and great to talk with you again. Yeah, My wife and I got into town on Friday night and have had an absolutely wonderful time. Toronto is a great city. People have been exceptionally nice to us, and we've watched the World Series games over and over and over again, and so we thought we would be here for the first of the three game series. The one caveats everything is we went out to dinner pretty late on Friday night. She had her Dodgers sweashed on I had my Dodgers hat on and I noticed a table next to us of six people staring and pointing at us. And I called my weight over and said, those guys looking at me, and he goes, yeah, it's your hat, and I go, I had a little trouble serving you as well. So I think they're still a little testing about the World Series. But looking forward to the game to brow.
Speaker 2: All right, Bob, appreciate the phone call. Be safe up there north of the border, and represent the Dodgers tomorrow at the Rogers Center. That's not surprising. Rick Monday talks about it, how he's not welcome in Montreal after the Blue Monday home run in Game five of the NLCS back in nineteen eighty one to beat the Montreal Expos. Yeah, that kind of stuff happens when you break the hearts of a fan base, like the Dodgers did to the Toronto Blue Jays last November. First, This kind of stuff happens, and fans don't forget. They won't forget in ten years or twenty years, and certainly they haven't forgotten what six months ago when the Dodgers won Game seven and extra innings. Dodgers baseball is brought to you by Medello Midello The Mark of a Fighter. Well well, well, my guy Blake in Colorado, a friend of the show here on Dodger Talk, and he checks in today on this Easter Sunday.
Speaker 1: Hello Blake, how are you my friend? Good? Hell have you been?
Speaker 2: I've been fantastic celebrating the Dodgers World Series all off season. Long back at it here on this road trip and a sweep of the Washington Nationals.
Speaker 1: How is life in the Colorado?
Speaker 5: Good's been really, really good. I'm really happy about the all magic bout and strike system. I think this has been coming to Maja League Baseball for.
Speaker 4: A while now.
Speaker 5: And I know it's not about your team as about the sport of baseball, but like I really like it. And the dog has been doing fun mom Ando these past couple of days.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, thirty one run, scored a couple more home runs today. Oh Tani goes deep, Rushing goes deep, ta Oscar Hernandez goes deep.
Speaker 1: Blake, they scored thirty one runs in three days. How about that?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Now it's off to Toronto. We all knew what happened there in AASO November one, Game seven, the heroics of Mickey Rojas and then winning an extra innings to beat the Blue Jays. You just heard Bob in Toronto, Blake. He's up there right now, and they're not liking Dodger fans, and certainly they're not gonna be too happy to see the Dodgers the next three days.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're not gonna be happy, but we're gonna sweep the Blue Jays.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hope so, Blake, great to hear your voice. Don't be a stranger, and we'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 5: Well, are you going to be back?
Speaker 2: I will be back on Wednesday as the Dodgers wrap up the series in Toronto after show. Hey, Tani's appearance on Sunday or Wednesday at the Rogers Center. So I'll be back on Wednesday after the finale.
Speaker 6: Okay, sounds good.
Speaker 2: My man Blake calling in from Colorado. He knows my schedule and he checks in and I love it. Thank you, Blake for being a part of the show. Eight six, six, nine eighty seven two seventy. Daniels Jewelers presents the home run of Forecast. For every chance you can get fifty dollars, Daniels jewel card Jewelers gift card just for signing up?
Speaker 1: Where do you go?
Speaker 2: Af I seventy la sports dot Com. Use the keyword home run when you go to the website, into your name and you could win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card Own the dream. Maxwell in Austin, Next up on Dodgers Talk.
Speaker 3: How you doing?
Speaker 1: Maxwell?
Speaker 6: Hate Tim? How are you doing?
Speaker 1: I'm doing good.
Speaker 2: Feeling a lot better after that four run eighth inning and the Dodgers comfort behind win. I don't like these comfery behind wins. I like them to jump out to a lead and make it a little easier.
Speaker 6: How impressive was that sweep in Washington, MD? You think it says more about the offense clicking or the team's overall death.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that's a great point. You bring up the D word, Maxwell, I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Depth.
Speaker 2: This Dodgers team has depth, and today was a prime exam of it. You know, ninth game of this season, Mookie Betts goes on the injured list. It's a day off scheduled for three other starters, Will Smith, Kyle Tucker, and Max Muncy. That means four guys in the lineup today are your non everyday players, but guys who are gonna get a lot of playing time. The Alex calls the Dalton Rushings, the Santiago Espinals, Kyle Frielan's getting a lot of opportunity. And today because of the Mookie Bets injury and because Hayson Kim was getting there this morning from Triple A. You saw Rojas and Freeland up the middle together playing in this same game. It was one of those days where you're like, Okay, this is a Dodgers team. Let's see what the other guys can do. And we saw exactly what they can do. They could hit home runs like a Dalton rushing. They can do like Alex called it, and get on base four times. They could do like Santiago Espinal and you know, base hit the left center field with the bases loaded and extend that eighth inning.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is a this is.
Speaker 2: Just a deep, deep Dodgers team. And we mentioned it with Jose. You take it to the pitching side of things and how deep this Dodger's bullpen is.
Speaker 1: You cannot say it enough.
Speaker 2: Having Edwin Diaz, having a closer in general like a Kelly Jansen for so many years, right, and Eric Gagne for so many years. Having a guy you can go to as that guy to get the final three outs, like today with Edwin Diaz, it makes what you do before that a lot easier for a manager and a pitching coach and a coaching staff to come together with a plan. How are we gonna How are we gonna get twenty seven outs?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 2: Well, our starter win five innings today, put us in a hole, give up six runs. Okay, So now we're responsible for the final four innings the bullpen. Those are the final twelve outs. How are we gonna get those twelve outs? Well, you piece it together with Alex Vesi again three Jack Dryer comes in against three Tanner Scott's responsible for three innings. In the eighth innings, there's nine out and all of a sudden, during that time, you've retaken the lead. Okay, So now we're going to our closer. This is the ideal situation. A starter that can go five and you can piece it together for nine outs to get to that closer for the final three. I mean, you ask any manager in baseball. I mean this is from the beginning of time. That's how you'd like to draw it up ideally, and the Dodgers today, thankfully, we're able to score those four runs in the eighth, tacking of one more in the ninth is the two run lead, and Edwin Diaz comes in and did what Edwin Diaz is doing, getting saves, getting strikeouts, getting ground ball outs, getting the fly ball d in the game and a one two three ninth inning for Edwin Diaz and the Dodgers get the sweep in Washington, d C. We're gonna have Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck tomorrow at three o'clock Pacific, first pitch at four oh seven from Toronto, Canada. I'm starting to get excited at you know, we've been talking about it, Rick and Steven, We're talking about it all weekend long, anticipating what it's going to be like to go back to Toronto. You've heard some of the players talk about it, but nobody wants to get ahead of themselves. You know, baseball is all about living in the moment, playing that game's day. But now that they get the three games sweep in Washington DC behind them, they can look now to north of the border, the Toronto and it'll be interesting to see how they are welcomed and treated in Toronto.
Speaker 1: Over the next three days.
Speaker 2: Does it start with a long time getting through customs. We'll find out. But the Dodgers will be there Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, with Justin Robleski going on Monday, Tuesdays, Yoshinobu Yamamoto and then show Hey Otani.
Speaker 1: Will go on Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Remember David Bassa mentioned it during rain delay Dodger Talk earlier. The last time Otani started in Toronto didn't go well, did not go well for him, so you know he's wanting to go back out there, and even in a regular season game here in early aprils don't want to prove that that was something behind him. Turns out Dodgers got the win, he's got the ring, got the World Series Championship and now returning to the scene of the crime on Monday.
Speaker 1: Thanks to Colin y Thanks everybody for being the part of the show.
Speaker 2: We got Clippers pregame coming up next right here on your Home of the Dodgers am FI seven d l A Sports Happy East.
Speaker 1: Everybody