Speaker 1: All right, it's Mojoe in the Morning Show. This is a really cool situation. And I told Shannon, this is like reminding me of that whole Will Ferrell Mark Wahlberg movie where it was his stepdad's or.
Speaker 2: Something like that.
Speaker 3: Jone. I love.
Speaker 4: There's two of them. Yeah, I love those movies.
Speaker 1: There's this Wes is stepping up because Smith, his step son, is playing football and the coach quit at the last minute.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 5: So Smith's playing flag football, which is so fun to watch, by the way, it's like my favorite thing to watch that he does. And they've had his little team has had the same coach for the last three or four years maybe, and that coach is phenomenal, but he couldn't do it this season because I think he's coaching baseball and he's like swamped with doing that. And so the organizer of this flag football league was like, we need a coach for this team of second graders, and nobody volunteered. Then I looked at West. I'm like, dude, you coach track. You love coaching, and He's like, I'm I'm doing it. So Coach Wes is now Coach Wes of the second grade flag football Seaers.
Speaker 2: Can I tell you how much I love that.
Speaker 1: I love that because I know how much Wes loves to coach. But I love that because I know how great the relationship is that Wes has with Smith.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it'll be fun to watch it.
Speaker 2: Is Smith excited about it?
Speaker 4: Smith's excited?
Speaker 2: The Smith like look.
Speaker 1: At it as an opportunity that he's gonna get a lot of playing time or what does he think?
Speaker 4: Wes is not like that? Wes.
Speaker 5: Wes is so fair because I see him coach. I'm going to tell Wes some Samantha, and I saw him coach Kieran, his son, and he does he pulls.
Speaker 1: Can I no favoritism? Can I tell you something? I'm going to tell you, Wes. If you're listening, Wes, I want to tell you this. And I'll call him and tell him this too. A very good friend of mine, John b Line, you know John John Beelyin became friends of mine. John was the coaching versus at Michigan. He works for the Pistons now he's back at Michigan. I was having a conversation one time with him and Tim McCormick, who played at Michigan, and Tim McCormick coached Kellen, his son all the year.
Speaker 2: It's a long story, but.
Speaker 1: I said, yeah, one of the biggest regrets I always had as a coach was that I don't think that I was really good to my kids. I was almost not fair in their disadvantage. And Coach b Line said, when you step up to coach your kids' teams, you get the added value since you're not getting paid of you can take care of your kids. And he actually believed that it's your opportunity to give your kid a little bit of special treatment. So the whole idea of your kid always playing shortstop or pitching when you are the coach, So make sure that he doesn't do it the opposite way of being too fair. But also what you know what Smith deserves it. Wes is putting the time in. Smith deserves that, and it's his payment for doing it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, and he is such a different step dad than he is dad.
Speaker 2: What do you mean by that?
Speaker 4: He just parent differently, Like he's in.
Speaker 1: A good way softer, he's way softer.
Speaker 2: Do his kids ever comment on that?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, oh yeah, how.
Speaker 2: Was the previous coach, Like what kind of coach?
Speaker 5: Graz honest to God, such a great I think because he's a he's a coach as well. Like I said to the coaches baseball, he is a middle school teacher, I think.
Speaker 4: So he was phenomenal. And his son is still on the.
Speaker 6: Team because some dads, so they aren't like coaches, you know what I mean, they just step up.
Speaker 5: They just going to have like a playbook difference, which this other coach did too.
Speaker 4: Like it's very it was very organized. I was impressed.
Speaker 2: Exciting. Was Smith excited when found out?
Speaker 5: Yes, Smith's excited. The season doesn't start for a couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I I love this. I also we were having this conversation, uh, yesterday on the air for a little bit, but then we talked more off the air, all of us did about your vacation that you guys just recently took, and just how cool it was to see your kids and Wes's daughter just really come together and become not step brothers or stepsister and you know, and with stepbrother and stuff.
Speaker 2: It was like they were like siblings. They were really good with each other.
Speaker 5: That's cool, which they've always they've always yeah, see them amazing, they've always like all gotten along. But the age difference is, like we knew from the get go, we weren't going to try to force anybody to be dusties. Like it's an eight year old, Lucy's gonna be twelve next week.
Speaker 4: Holy cow?
Speaker 5: An eight year old, a twelve year old, and an almost seventeen year old, you know what I mean? Like the age differences, They're all just doing their own thing.
Speaker 1: Can I Can I say something real quick that I think is more important than you know, West being a great step dad.
Speaker 2: It's fourth down and.
Speaker 4: Five, Oh my god, I don't know you are asking me is.
Speaker 2: Gonna Is he gonna kick the field goal? Take the points? Or you're going to ruin our entire season?
Speaker 1: And by going forward on every fourth down, that's all I care about it.
Speaker 2: I don't want any craziness.
Speaker 1: Dan Campbell this year doesn't start kicking field goals, Guys. I am personally going on a mission to make sure that Dan Campbell doesn't get to have a choice on that anymore.
Speaker 2: Iron West, But when he.
Speaker 6: Doesn't kick the field goals and it goes our way, everyone wants to praise, Yeah.
Speaker 1: But it doesn't go our way. As much as it goes, it doesn't go our. It screws us off where I don't know. I feel like we're all done. So do you step up now?
Speaker 2: Shannon?
Speaker 6: As like you had your mom rode, but now you coach his wife.
Speaker 4: I'm just sitting in my chair and sheer as loud as I.
Speaker 6: Do you need to bring them orange?
Speaker 2: You gotta step up, dude.
Speaker 5: If I brought orange slices, those kids would be like what you gotta have? Like the snacks now, different ballgames?
Speaker 2: What's these days?
Speaker 5: I mean, you gotta have you gotta have some options. There's a snack and a drink.
Speaker 4: It's not just like.
Speaker 1: Do you feel that since Wes is doing this now you have to like step up a little bit more, not with the team, but step up yourself like you have to. You know, like anything Wes wants is West should get Like this is actually a big deal.
Speaker 5: I think for him to say yes to this, he very quickly said, I'm down.
Speaker 4: I'm in.
Speaker 1: He's showing you that that how much he loves your kid by doing this thing.
Speaker 2: You better like and West. I don't know. I'm sure you guys are have your fun.
Speaker 1: You talk all the time, Shannon about all the craziness you guys have with each other, but this will be an opportunity for you to really show him. Coaches gift at the end of the year needs to be a good gift.
Speaker 2: Talk about tight end. I ever tell you the coaches gift that I.
Speaker 1: Got one year picture of all the moms.
Speaker 2: They gave me a picture of all the moms be the greatest.
Speaker 4: So I already tell you, guys, it's really weird.
Speaker 2: I have to tell you.
Speaker 1: Guys, in all fairness, one of the funniest stories ever of coaching. So we were having a conversation once with one of Joe's basketball coaches that he had, and I asked him a question. I said, so, let me ask you this, what is your deciding factor when you're picking team, Like, how do you decide? Like, if you have a kid that's really really talented, but you have too many big guys and you need some smaller guys, what do you do?
Speaker 2: And he goes. Honestly, I said, yeah, he goes, I look at the moms and he goes.
Speaker 1: He goes, I look at the moms and I try to decide, all right, who's got the hottest mom? Because you're going to see the moms as much as you're going to see the kid, And honestly, that is wrong.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's wrong.
Speaker 6: I guarantee you there are some dads listening at probably have show favoritism based on the mom.
Speaker 1: Absolutely you should have seen remembered hot dad or the coach, the hot coach that we had Chelsea's Brandon. Yeah, Chelsea, and you know all the other moms that were there.
Speaker 4: Didn't we interview him on the air?
Speaker 2: Oh, we talked about him on the air. Yeah, he was a dad.
Speaker 1: He was a coach that coached Luke and baseball. All the moms had the hots form. They all thought that he was he was a hotty, so we used to call him hot Coach. What's going on? Actually, we used to send him out with the scorecard at the beginning of the game, so he had to walk up to home plate to the umpire. So all the moms from the other team so cracked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what you're doing? What's up, Matt? How you doing?
Speaker 7: Hey? What's going on?
Speaker 3: So I am a step parent as well, and I coach my stepson's baseball team. Now, the crazy part is we don't get along very well with my wife's ex husband, So I feel like we I am under the scrutiny all the time of being watched, being judged, comments and everything that goes.
Speaker 7: Back to my stepson. It's like, why do you do this? Why do you do that? And it is a nightmare sometimes, but I would not trade it for the world because I feel like I have a huge impact on all.
Speaker 8: Of these kids and it's phenomenal.
Speaker 1: But but to be fair honest with you, he's a dickhead for doing that, right you think.
Speaker 7: I mean, you said it, not me.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's crazy that he's like why did he do this? Why did he do that? You know what I mean? Jealous?
Speaker 3: I mean there's there's times where like I'll schedule a practice and he's with his dad and his dad like we're not going to practice, and I'm like, it's a mandatory practice. You need to show up, like, and I'm there because I love the kids. But it's like, come on, dude, get with the program. It's not about you. It's about the kid at this point, you know what I mean, Stop taking your hate, take stop taking your hatred.
Speaker 7: For me out on him. Come to practice for X, Y or Z.
Speaker 1: Do you if if if your step kid has like a really amazing game. Do you give him a huge hug and look over and this dands and go fu.
Speaker 3: You know, there's times, because I coach stored base there's times when he does something and I will just kind of give him that little glance and say.
Speaker 7: Ha, I did it. I will tell you.
Speaker 1: This, Yeah, go ahead, No, I will say this that it would be really hard for me, as a dad of three boys if I was divorced from Chelsea and her you know, new husband was coaching my kid. But I would step up and say I want to help out, you know what I mean, instead of sitting there and complaining about it.
Speaker 3: You know, yeah, yeah, because that's exactly what I did. Because my son's team originally didn't have a baseball coach, and my my.
Speaker 1: Stepdad always the guy that has to step up, that jack ass needs to step.
Speaker 2: Up, right.
Speaker 3: So I'll tell you this. In our household, so we're a blended family of six, so I have two to a previous, she has three to a previous, and we have one together. So the only steps we consider in our house, so there are steps that go upstairs and downstairs in our house.
Speaker 2: So I mean, I love this guy.
Speaker 3: Kind we kind of we kind of left it up to our to our son to say, well, if you want me to coach, I'll coach. If you don't, if you want me to sit in the stands in cheer, I'll sit in the stands in cheer. Whatever you want. So we left it up to him and he's like, no, will you coach? I'm like, are you sure this is what you want? And he says yeah, So I did it, and now I'm in my fourth season Real Quick.
Speaker 7: I would trade it for the world.
Speaker 1: Coach, Matt, I want you to say hi to coach Wes, who's on the phone.
Speaker 7: Hey, what's going on?
Speaker 2: You guys think I'm nice? This is actually payback? This is this is not me being a good stick.
Speaker 6: Wait wait, well, so Shannon, when we were in Mexico, happened at the airport.
Speaker 2: Begas Claim.
Speaker 7: Do you remember it?
Speaker 2: Vegas Claim lined me up and kicked me in the next Oh yeah, drop why.
Speaker 6: And so the next day this coaching opportunity came up.
Speaker 2: And I have been around the block a couple of times in my kids. This is going to be up down.
Speaker 1: That's incredible. That's the best hold on real Quick. Amanda is also on our party line here may comment. What'd you want to say, Amanda?
Speaker 3: So Shannon as a you know, special little thank you so much for doing this.
Speaker 1: For we lost, Yeah, we lost you as a special thing for doing this for Smith.
Speaker 2: What did you want to say? Get off?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Can you hear me say it again? Say what happened?
Speaker 7: Shanna needs to get a referee costume with a whistle and do a little special section.
Speaker 8: You know what.
Speaker 4: The league supplies their own referees.
Speaker 2: In the bedroom, in the Are you crazy?
Speaker 4: Are you crazy?
Speaker 2: What do you think about that? Matt? Coach? Matt, you like that idea?
Speaker 3: So I'll tell you this. My wife has At first she didn't want to embrace the coach's wife role. But now she's fully involved. She's in my dugout, doing my.
Speaker 7: She's writing my line up down on the board for me. I mean, she's fully fully.
Speaker 3: Involved in it.
Speaker 2: Absolute, she will.
Speaker 3: Say, She will say sometimes when I mean, because when I when I'm there on the field, I'm coached. When I get into the car, I take my hat off.
Speaker 7: That's it. I'm no longer coached.
Speaker 3: I'm dad.
Speaker 8: And when bullet it, well, my son has has an issue. He was like, man, my coach was this or that today and she's like, don't worry, I'll have a talk with your coach tonight.
Speaker 6: It's just crazy, Wes, be honest, what are your expectations for Shannon this season?
Speaker 7: Better be hid.
Speaker 4: High? You know, every play practicing on the lawn.
Speaker 1: She's going to be the center, Wes is going to be the quarterback, and they'll never be in the shotgun.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 1: I love it. Hey, good job both you guys, Wes and Matt. Way to way, way to be a good guys. I mean, you guys already are good guys, but way to step up for these kids.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.